Speaker 1: Welcome into Raven's press pass. Today we'll hear from tight ends coach George Gotzy, tight end Charlie Kohler and fellow tight end Isaiah Likely.
Speaker 2: I have asked John and todda last year too. I mean, the two younger tight ends that we're gonna talk to you today, Charlie and and Isaiah, what do you feel like they need to do? It's their earned significant snaps.
Speaker 1: And targets this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Mark's out there, so he's gonna get his reps and uh, you know he's obviously he's gonna get his targets. But Charlie and Jay, they're coming along. You know, it's another year as a pro, another year with their schedule, you know, recognizing coverage. I think our defense is doing a great job of showing us unique looks. So you know, I think every every day there's a goal to get a little bit better, and that's what their goal is right now. You know, is second your players just recognition, I would say recognition a certain looks sown versus man, depth of row distribution in the passing game, in the running game too. It's just technique and where their hat needs to be, their hands you know, it's a it's a complicated game, and especially in our job. You know, we got pass pass game responsibility and routes, protections, run game responsibility, front side, backside, where detached. So you know, we're using a lot of roles in Todd's offense. So we love it, we accept it, and you know, I think every day we're getting better.
Speaker 1: We see from Charlie in terms of in terms of his inline blocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's we've had the prads out here for you know, four days, so we've been anxious to get out here and do that. So we've gone against some good guys on the edge. You know, it's quickly getting our hands on the opponent quickly. He's got the frame, you know, the length. It's good using having that size. He's put on a lot of weight ten pounds in the off season, you know, five pounds of muscle. So he's worked hard, you know, compared to this time last year where we had a set back injury wise. So this is a big, big fall for him.
Speaker 1: George give them the setbacks of an injury.
Speaker 4: Really required particular and what he attributed as it as the tight ends group. How do you have to prepare the other tight ends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question because you never know. You know, it's a limited roster on game day, so everybody's learning not just their personal role for practice, but another role in case something does happen. So between Ben between you know, vocalect obviously Charlie's ay, they know the role there, uh, and then Mark's got his unique role, so that we got to be versaal at that position. That's part of the number one job of a tight end, making sure that you can fill in those spots when something happens, because it happens instantly, and we got to make that work right away.
Speaker 4: I know, obviously this Raven's offense is not gonna get with odds Ovine.
Speaker 1: Was in Georgia.
Speaker 4: But I watched the film last year. It's a lot of guys, six six players on the liners to run I running concepts that they did. You feel like that he increases the need for you guys to have or the rival line guy there at the end of the kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a mix of both. You know, it's both running pass and making sure they tie in together. So we're trying to, you know, keep keep in with that versatility word that I used earlier, so you know, first down to second down they got to look the same, and then third down is obviously more of a passing down. So it's about getting open. But yeah, we're versatile players and making sure we fit in. You know with the offense are do you.
Speaker 1: Feel like the roles and responsibilities and the tight end is pretty different in tides offense compared breaks.
Speaker 3: You know, tight end position, we get a certain there's different kind of tight ends. You know, guys that are in the backfield, guys that are in line, guys that are detached in our in our room. We got guys that can do it all. So that's that's the number one thing about Art scouting department. We've got versatile guys that can play all those different roles. Split us out, keep us in line. We'll be able to do those roles. Coach, think about this system.
Speaker 2: How beneficial do you think this new system will be for Patrick Weegard?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you everything. Patrick's established player. You know, he's able to block people, move people, he's a good protector. His roles physicality, you know, so with every offense there's got to be that component. So you know he's demonstrated that for the past few years. I think most of the opponents will say that too, exactly.
Speaker 4: Think Oil's the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Mark, Mark's a very productive player and uh, he wants to win and that's what our room's about. And so you know, when when things are things are not going the right way, he's a guy that's stepping up. He's always been like that since I've been here. You know, I love working with him. He's a hell of a pro.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We both learn off of each other. It's a good relationship.
Speaker 2: When we talked to Isaiah on locker pain out there last year, he said, I know I was my own worst send me at times my rookie year with some of some of the mistakes that I can't make. And he said, you know, I'm definitely gonna come back having addressed that too. Do you feel like you've you've seen that And how do you think he went about that?
Speaker 3: Well, that attitude we love in him, you know, because he's a true pro and he's going to take responsibility for everything. But you know, being shoved into the amount of plays that he had last year as a rookie, we think he did a hell of a job. And I only see that trend going up too. So he's a very detailed person. Uh, takes good notes, ask good questions, and then he shows it out in practice. So yeah, I see, I see that trending up.
Speaker 4: Georgia. It seemed like Isaiah's best games last year where when Lamar's or the chief Mark's role was a little limited or think he was out, did you learn anything about like how to position both those guys in the passing off. That's what we taking out the dynamic together.
Speaker 3: And not have one stepping on to Yeah, there's only one ball, so we got to kind of work off each other a lot of times markets two guys maybe on them. So that's the time for us to get open. He saw it in the Pittsburgh game, you know, on a critical play at the end of the end of the half. So Isaiah knows that and when it's a one on one, uh, you know, opportunity. We got to take advantage of that. Everybody receivers tight ends running backs if we're putting that role, So I think they all understand that, you know.
Speaker 5: Is gonna be exposed with two tight ends on the fielder together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think we're we're looking for opportunities in our room, and when we get those, gotta make it happen.
Speaker 1: A little bit about hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean again, same thing. Rookie coming in, learning, learning an offense that's got a lot of different avenues to it, run game, pass game, and showing up like he is. You know, we just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other. I makes just to see him out in preseason games. We think he's gonna do well. Uh, He's definitely practicing that way, So you know, I'm impressed.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Next you'll hear from tight end Isaiah Likely.
Speaker 3: So the energy that cub Mont game has the offense, you're getting that energy on his new training camp.
Speaker 5: Oh for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean coach Monkey comes out there energy every day of practice. Whether it's a Monday or Saturday practice, it's the same every day. So, you know, just putting that in the offense and having us feed off of him, it's been amazing.
Speaker 2: When we talk to you at the end of last season, Unlock, I mean you said, I'm gonna take responsibility for not making some of the mistakes time.
Speaker 3: Made it as a rookie the undercoming.
Speaker 2: What did you do in the off season to do that to come back as a more polished for the player.
Speaker 6: I really just watch film on the little details and on the major details. Just really watch, you know, major games where I felt like I didn't play my best to help the team win, and then just stack those days every day in the off season and just really prepare and then just find my comfortability out here in OTAs and training camp? So far?
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you got the results that they want?
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm definitely improving the takeaways from really just seeing different titands with their unique skill set and how they really approach a game and different types of either route complications or really in the blocking game, and just seeing how they're coach, and then how work coach here at the Ravens by coach g and then really just implying into the game.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of playmakers on the offense right now, you guys in the off season, I mean a lot of people are gonna want the ball, lot of people whosoke the ball. When you feel like you have to show the coaches to make sure you're one of the guys out there consistently getting targeted.
Speaker 6: I felt like coach Monkin is gonna put the ball on everybody's hands that needs really in the playmaker's hands. I mean, at the end of the day, everybody on this team's really trying to win the Super Bowl. So whether I get eight targets a game or whether I get one target a game, as long as the main focal point is on this team and on this offense is winning, I'll be happy with any Really just being comfortable. I felt like as a rookie, I felt like I put a lot of weight on my shoulders, whether it was when I was starting some games where Mark wasn't there, or really just finding my role in the offense in my rookie year. So really just you know, taking it one day at a time and really just being comfortable and learning to playbook and just attacking every day.
Speaker 2: Munkins said, you know, we are looking for guys who can do someone what Josh Oliver did last year, you know some of that in black and stuff. Do you see opportunity in that?
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 6: I mean everybody, I feel like the main quote unquote knock coming into the in the league was I couldn't block. So really just keeping that as a focal point, hearing in keeping it as really initiative to every day to get better as a blocker, and seeing myself being able to put in line, split out in in the slot.
Speaker 3: That's a real film to over thea.
Speaker 2: Those are something physically that you do.
Speaker 1: Best, so center.
Speaker 6: But sure I felt I played last year to forty I'm now two forty five, so I did add some muscle, got a little bigger. So definitely, as there's been.
Speaker 4: A lot of bass supposed to offensive the cloth the tight ends not just passing fall up the front car as well. You know it's you and Mark feel at the same time and you're kind of stressed fee there.
Speaker 6: Really we want to, you know, just make defenses start having to playoff for us. If it's base personnel, you really want to have two tight ends with having me and Mark to be able to pass the game. And if they're a nickel, you really want to be able to run run the ball. So really just having them have no answer for our offense, and I really feel like that's the best play to be explosive, the defense to be I'm just.
Speaker 3: Gonna have it's not interceptions that it's kind of like you have a day like this is the trash off from them.
Speaker 1: The coaches getting after y'all.
Speaker 6: What is that. I wouldn't say it's really coaches getting after us. I mean, at the end of the day, we're all pros. It's gonna be a hard day for the offense. I mean it was starting long, so you know, as a defense, you want to be in those situations because you want your pass rush to get back there and you really want to be able to have you know, the secondary be able to just make their plays and be special. So as the offense, it was really you know, we was playing uphill today and I felt like for the first time we did it this training camp, it was it was a learning experience. I mean, you said you could say the defense one, but in my head, we don't really lose. We just learned.
Speaker 5: If you want, if.
Speaker 4: They Flowers figured it out your day.
Speaker 3: Nickname, I mean.
Speaker 6: Right now, kind of not really. We just really go off of whose voice you hear. So if we're on the same time, felt the same time, you could hear coach say big Z a little za every every now and then say that's a little funny, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Good season last year, big step forward is a pass ball.
Speaker 1: So as a.
Speaker 6: Hopefully turn the bit really just you know, just not forgetting the little details when I go up to the line of scrimmage and in the run game. Really just fine tune in understanding that I can do this. I'm a pro. They got me here for a reason. Really just laying my talent shine.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And last but not least, here's tight end Charlie Kohler. Charlie just said you added ten pounds, you know, a lot of muscle this offseason. Just you talk about what you wanted to accomplish this offseason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I knew with Josh and Nick Leaven there's a lot of reps availe block and wise and stuff, and I can just play an effective role in that. Hars just getting stronger and just tried to work on that and that was a big focus. And I feel like I just job, but just want to maintain it throughout the season.
Speaker 4: So yeah, something you have a target playing lead.
Speaker 5: I'm too sixty five right now. I mean, try to keep it on. I love cheeseburger, so I gotta like keep it a little bit down. But I don't know, it's always everyone, like, especially guys in a our't naturally lose. We'll lose weight as a season go, so just try to keep as close as possible. But I feel pretty good right now. Sixty five seventy maybe, but yeah, I don't feel bad.
Speaker 2: Tonal how beneficial has been before us and.
Speaker 5: Gets sist thing under Monkey. Yeah, it's been great. He's done a good job. It's interesting always learning a new offense through terminology. But were like Monkey's got great energy. He involves every position group. Yeah, I like him a lot. It's been fun to work for what else?
Speaker 2: Just beyond getting bigger and stronger, it goes into becoming.
Speaker 5: A high level blocking tight end when you had that Yeah, well, I mean I had surgery the beginning of training camp last year, so like most of the seasons, trying to get healthy. So then actually get the off season to rehab, get my core and hips and everything back to stronger than I was. And then just like that was great with last year with Nick and Pat and Josh is like there's so much fun incricacies of like the technique of your aiming points, your pad level, how to notice fronts and blitzes so you can react faster. So just trying to learn day by day. You know, I was mostly receiving in college, like, just keep trying to learn, and but yeah, it's been George's great coach. It's been fun to work with those guys last year and then we're like the room we have this year. So just trying to learn those little things, keep getting better a little bit every day.
Speaker 1: With Josh and Nick both gone. Now do you kind of look at it as an opportunity to like, hey, if I can, if I can prove myself as a blocker, I can take some of those reps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. Obviously you want to be like the most complete tight end possible. But you know right now, in this offense and the Lion's share the targets tight ends mark and then so just trying to do what I can to get on the field is the best way, and just try to develop the passing game in the blocking game. But like you said, right now, it's obviously there's more reps in the blocking world. So if I can keep getting better and effective with that, I think there's a lot of opportunity there.
Speaker 4: Sure, I've thind the coaches talk to you about your potential as a blocker, because I mean physically, I think you have a pretty passively experience takes a more guy.
Speaker 5: Thank thanks, thank thanks. Never been competent on my wake span before, but I appreciate it. Yeah, I mean I was I wasn't like super strong in college. I was was long along, but I played it like two fifty five to sixty In college, I just like I was a little fat. So now just trying to like really get stronger and just like trans like like I'm similar weight, I'm just a little better body compass stuff. And part of that is just like learning how to you know, eat better, training better and stuff. I mean there's a lot of long limbed and I got long arms and stuff. So definitely just trying to keep maintained. Like I feel like like this camp, I've been pretty much a sixty five the whole time. I don't I don't feel that heavy, So I feel like I can as long as I can keep adding good weight, I think definitely, that's it's an option I like to keep.
Speaker 4: To have a work when you were hitting a ser.
Speaker 5: Yeah huge, that's one of like the biggest obviously, you know it sucked, like you never want to come in and the first thing they tell you is you have surgery, like the first second week, and so try and just like focus as much as possible day by day, where even though like it feels a long way the way when you're gonna be playing, just trying to learn a little bit and like watch them and do some stuff and ask their opinion on the film, pick their brain on like different looks, like what do they think out of this three point on how do they affected like a five tech versus six tech? And just different stuff and just trying to take a little bit day by day and then just just listen and trying to ask too many questions all the time, but just really just try to pick up little bits and pieces because it's just there's so many interestingcies of like these vatsube been playing for eight, ten, twelve years, Like they're so good at these little things, like you watch Morgan and these guys do that stuff. So it's trying to win little things. Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: It was awesome as you as you watched the front office go out and get a bunch of playmakers.
Speaker 1: In this off season.
Speaker 2: Obviously you talk about Mark Womson's already here a lot of guys who are gonna want the ball and deserve to get the ball. I mean, is it is there an element of wow, it's I'm not really have to show something to get the ball, or like, what did you make of all that?
Speaker 1: You know, all that.
Speaker 6: Change on.
Speaker 5: I uh, sorry, easily distracted. I really don't pay that much attention. Like I try not to shut up. Yeah, it's some rough looks in the Iowa in Iowa state football world right now. But I'm sorry, I beat the question.
Speaker 2: Just you know, they bring in all those playmakers in the offseason. You, as a guy who was known as a receiver coming out of college, what are you sort of saying to yourself about what am I gonna have to do to.
Speaker 5: Get the ball? I mean that's like it's definitely like obviously you can't not notice it. But one thing, like the like having the veterans last year and like has helped me this year is just you know, what can you do today? And like me, worrying about a target share is just a total waste of time, and so just focusing on exactly what I can do today to be better, how I can help the team tomorrow, how I can help the team today. It's like I really don't think about that much. And also like they're all great too, it's like it's fun to work with, Like you know Obj. You know, they're bringing in Odell, Like everyone wants to ask how Odell is, and like he's been nothing but a great teammate. Like's it's like you always hear about these big name guys and you get to know them and they're just like they're just dudes. Like they're just they're good teammates, they're good people. They're they're funny, like they work hard, they're football guys. Like it's been fun to work with those guys. I don't think there's any way that could be a bad thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sucks to have surgery as soon as you come into your your NFL career. How did you deal with that mentally and having to kind of you know, wait a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously there's some enough times you know, you want to play and stuff. Like I said with the same question, just like try to take a day by that, you know you guys. Actually that Klay Thompson commercial where it's like win each day, it's like one day, you know, talking about it's like that was like it's funny because commercials like hate commercials. Stream excerpt, So I can go in a lot of tangents about that, but it's actually a great commercial because like injuries, it's really interesting if you look at like my life athletes, like usually the hardest mental struggles come with the physical stuff, and so when you have the surgery or anything like that, all the athletes can test this just about like taking it one day at a time and taking it one treatment at a time and then one meal at a time, because if you look at it from the big picture, like it just seems so long and difficult. See, it's trying to stay as present where my feet are at is like the best thing I can do. And obviously there's times I'm not good at that, but that's the best thing.
Speaker 2: The heaviest offenses in the NFL history, certainly in recent years the last year the great now, but in terms of the amount of tight end and the back pass too right now you notice a lot of players ago, but you're also like off it's olidating instrums just to spread them.
Speaker 1: All out more and may a lot more. Eleven.
Speaker 2: I just think that nexts out there tight any other general where you guys are located.
Speaker 1: With that extra.
Speaker 5: Do you think we were actually like the heaviest weight wise or you mean like literally.
Speaker 1: Number of players.
Speaker 5: Oh, personnel, personnel. Oh, I was just kidding. Uh, it's definitely it's like like you said with the receiver thing, Like there's so many things in this league I've learned in one year that you just can't control. So like like Greg, like learning from Gero last year was some really great things, and learning from Monk there's some great things. Are just different. So like with a different offense. Obviously Monk is you could tell on the watching they've been lighter, personnel, more eleven and twelve, less twenty one thirteen stuff, and so like there's just just different opportunities. So just like trying to figure out ways that you can like effectively impact and help the offense. But it's just like trying to find ways to help the team, and it's definitely been different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your dad, your dad was a coach, right, kind of football is in the veins? Right? Did he did he work you out this summer? Nope?
Speaker 5: Not me, not me, not me. No, It's it's okay. I mean I love my dad, but he just wasn't a hen even by basketball coach growing up, but never a football real.
Speaker 4: When when the Ravens fired and obviously, you know you coordinators and used tedands better in college game than you did. Did you go back and watch any of the kind of stuff that they did at George.
Speaker 5: They'll show some film. You know, they had two great that ends last year. They had Washington Bowers and yeah, then he'll show some clips aginstall stuff. Yeah, I mean they had a ton of yards. They had really interesting stuff with like the screen game. They had good vertical passing attack. You know, he it's definitely interesting. I mostly just pick up stuff that he puts in the playbook and stuff I don't have to watch any games, but yeah, cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, thank you for listening to Raven's press past. Make sure you subscribe, rate and review, and if you're not already a subscriber, make sure you go over and check out the lounge and subscribe to that as well. Thanks for listening and we'll be back with you next week.