Speaker 1: Welcome to Games with Names. We've got a brand new compilation on some of our favorite moments from the show.
Speaker 2: Let's Go.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this, one of the favorite lines I ever heard Rabel say that was directed towards me, is we had a stag night to raise money for the Light Foundation in my hometown, right, And we stopped doing it because I thought, man, there's gonna be a lot of kids born in my little hometown that don't belong to these daddies. And so I was like, we're gonna and I'm telling you it became a little crazy. But Rabe would come in town with all these other guys. We had Ajhawk when he was at Ohio State, and younger cats too, right, and the mayor of my little town now you got to think Mayberry, right, And he gets up and he has this proclamation where he's gonna make it Matt Light Day, right, and he stumbles on some words. An hour later, Rabel gets up and we're having an auction and he's like, hey, and you know when he gets the mic, man, it's gonna be profound and it's gonna be hilarious. He stops everything and he goes listen I'll give anybody one thousand dollars right now they can get the mayor to spell matriculate, because.
Speaker 4: He tried using that in a sentence and he stumbled over it. And in real time, man, it was really uncomfortable, but nobody said nothing. An hour later, Vrabel has it up there on the auction block. I'll give you a thousand if you can get the mayor Greenville'll spell matriculate.
Speaker 2: And we lost it. But that's our boy. Man, that's a funny, very funny.
Speaker 5: Man. I went to the derby for two days, and then the day of the race, we saw like the start of the race.
Speaker 2: And then Tom rallied everybody up.
Speaker 5: We went and got on some on some planes, and then we we flew to the Many. I was still wearing my smelly ass Kentucky Derby suit, was sweating through it.
Speaker 2: In Las Vegas casino, we all were.
Speaker 6: I know how many times you think we fought, how many times we fought at the Derby, we fought in Vegas? Didn't we fight on this Vegas trip in the middle of the street. Remember you fish hooked me. Yeah, you bait my, you bait my pinky. Yeah you got you had a bite.
Speaker 2: We were in the van, remember the the back of the van rallied out. Yeah, and then we got we hopped out of the van. It's like as if nothing happened, just walked into the room.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We we literally were we were fighting in the car. What sparks a fight between you guys?
Speaker 2: Anything? Anything? Oh, No, we were just we were riled up.
Speaker 6: Let's just say we had been drinking probably eighteen straight hours, team straight hours. We get out, we start fighting and we're like pushing each other, and then like the door opens. We're literally in the middle of the strip fighting. He gives me in a fish hook with.
Speaker 2: My with my pinky, and he bites my pinky. I almost bit it off.
Speaker 6: I had to almost bit that thing off, and we fought on it like with the sunset.
Speaker 2: It was the most beautiful fight I've ever been. It was so beautiful. We'll have to get the picture of it. Picture and showed the I have a still frame of that.
Speaker 6: We were literally I don't know why why were we drinking that day or fighting that day because we were drinking.
Speaker 2: Because we were drinking.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the city limits in Mississippi, as long as you're out of the city limits, you can blaze like freaking your sicky Sam. I mean, it's like whatever you want to do. But we have the target set up, and of course Moos is filming and catching this because me and my partner are sitting there side by side ear muffs on, shooting the targets. And I put a Rick Ross song because I've been playing with the social media way too long, long enough to get me in trouble. But I put a Rick Ross song behind it, black Coffins, and it's in the name of the song is one hundred Black Coffins and it's by Rick Ross, and I put it in black and white, so it's like in this like slow mowing, and you just see me and my buddy up here shooting these targets and I literally just.
Speaker 2: Unloaded blah blah blah and.
Speaker 8: Probably missed the target every time, but I caught the video and I posted on my social media no big deal until Bears rings my damn phone and I'm like, this has never happened before, and why is he calling me?
Speaker 7: So Bears call and says, is it you have.
Speaker 1: Him saved in the phone or is it just random Bear's Nigerian.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I pronounced that the right way. Bill's secretary is what was in my phone. It's still in there right now. So when I saw this name come across my phone, my heart just hit my stomach and I'm like, this ain't good.
Speaker 2: How long after the post thirty minutes?
Speaker 8: It was like no time, Like I tell that, Hey, the page got like the FBI, bro, they don't miss nothing, okay. So he called me and I answer phonem like hello, he said, Rid, I said, what's up, bears? He says, Coach wants to speak with you? Like all right, So I sat on the phone. Bill gets on the phone and he I guess he hops on. I was like hello, and Coach says Rid. I say, y'all gonna have to edit this because my mom's gonna punch me in the face for using this language. But you know, Bill loved them f bombs. Coach goes, Rid, just what the fuck are you doing? And I'm like, what you mean, Coach, the freaking post that you just put up there. Really think about it, man, you're unloading a freaking pistol on a video on your socials. I mean, we just had a guy arrested. Give me a fucking break. I said, damn, coach, like I wouldn't even thinking.
Speaker 2: About it that way.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm just back home, chilling with the boys, shooting targets. Better yet, just don't even bring your ass back up here. I was like, whoa that just get cut? Like how does this go down? So I looked at my boy and I'm like, bro, I don't know if I got fired or not, Like what's going what's going on? So Bill hung up the phone or we kind of had some choice words. No before he hung up the phone, We're gonna cut this part, but I gotta continue this sort see, I'll just choose if y'all want to say it or not. But when he told me, he said, you just don't even bring your ass back up here, I'm like, oh wow. So automatically I went into coach, I have the utmost respect for you. I did not know that I had messed up that bad. I said, there's targets in the background. We weren't doing anything wrong. I said, you're comparing me to a murderer because I'm shooting targets in the backyard. I said, but either way, I hear you, I will not be back there, and I'm gonna let you know this. My faith is in Godden upstairs. I said, this is not the end of my career. If I am cutting. I hung up the phone. It was probably a dumb move to do that. But you hung hung up, bro, because I was like, I was blown away, Like you just called me a freaking murderer because I'm shooting at targets in the backyard. This is what we do on a regular Bro likes this is life. So I hung up and probably wasn't the swartest thing to do. And within like I would say, thirty to an hour, I got another phone call and it was Bill and he said, as you know what better Yet, when you come here, do not even stop at my office. He says, you go straight upstairs and see Robert. I'm like, Robert, Robert, mister crap. I'm like, oh my god, Bro, Like I'm like, I don't know, I don't know what, Like, I don't know how this goes. Because Bill, whether y'all know it or not, Bill moves the needle on everything around there. He's making all the calls for him to push me to the big dog. I'm like, Bro, I'll just stay in Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Brady.
Speaker 9: We'll talk about Brady's deal because I didn't get to do your deals. So Brady's first deal was, you know, the rookie contract. And I'll say this, Unfortunately, we were doing business at that point in time, not thinking long term and relationships. It was a very bottom line way of doing things, and it was something Bill and I weren't comfortable with. And we so Tommy's first deal he got lesson he should have for his slot. There wasn't slotting back then, but everyone knew what the slot was. It wasn't called the slot, and we broke his shoes a little bit. Unfortunately, the people that were doing the contracts at that time. And then when it came time for Tommy's next deal, I was doing the next deal and then the next deal, and I'll never forget we were at this one point in time. I think it was maybe Tommy's third deal, it might have been, and Don and I weren't making progress and we were trying to keep the team together, right, that was part of our thing. We didn't expect people to take home team discounts. We were hopeful that people would want to spread it and keep the winning because we felt, you know, high tides raise all boats, and the more that we won, there was all these other opportunities, marketing, eta.
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 9: And I'll never forget Don and I couldn't get anywhere. And Tommy was getting annoyed because he was getting distracted, not annoyed with anyone. He just wanted to think about ball. And I'll never forget. One morning he comes up to my office and he knocks, and he comes in and he closes the door and he says, hey, can we talk about this contract. I'm like, Tommy, we can't have a negotiation. That's against the rules. We're not allowed.
Speaker 2: He listen.
Speaker 7: We got to talk.
Speaker 9: But he and I had a really good and close relationship. And he said, where are you guys at?
Speaker 2: So I told him.
Speaker 9: Where we were at, told him where you guys are at? And he says, what's the drop dead number? I'm Tommy, we can't have this conversation. I got to talk to Don about this.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget.
Speaker 9: It was the deal when he signed, It was the I want to say it was the six year, ten million a year deal. Think about that, six years, sixty mill. It was like, and I'll never forget. I said, that's probably our choke point. But we're playing this game, Don and I that it's not a game. I shouldn't call it that. We're having this negotiation where one team's low, one side's low, one team's high, and you're trying to find the middle spot. And I'll never forget. Tommy looks at me, shakes his head, looks away. He goes, if I can't live the rest of my life well for sixty million dollars and my family's I've got problems.
Speaker 2: He's like, get Don on the phone.
Speaker 9: I'm like, Tom, we can't, we can't, we can't do this.
Speaker 2: He is, get him on the phone.
Speaker 9: We got on the phone and put it on speaker and Tommy goes, hey, Don, it's Tom.
Speaker 2: He goes, hey, how you doing today?
Speaker 9: He goes and you know, Don's all up beat and he goes, I got you on speakerphone. I'm in Scott's office. Dead silence, dead silence because and Don's like, what are you doing there? He's like, Don listen, man, this is ridiculous. He says, I'm talking to Scott and I'm like sweating because it wasn't a negotiation.
Speaker 2: He was just asking.
Speaker 9: And anyway, Tom He's like, listen, you guys, just get this done. And I go, I'm bringing this story up because I go back to Don, Don and Steve could have made so much more money if they didn't do what their client wanted. And Tom, you know, Don and Steve have left money on the table year after year after year after year, or by doing what their clients wanted and maybe not trying to talk their clients into something that would pay them greater three percent. Anyway, I don't mean to make that a long story, but it's just I think the world of Don Yee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donye's we call them the Dragon bro. He just calm, cool and collect.
Speaker 10: I always wanted to spike the ball in high school in college, but it was always a fifteen yard penalty, so I never did it. And then my rookie year I got to the NFL and I never even Gronk spiked my rookie year.
Speaker 2: I don't think I did even won my brook he did in the preseason.
Speaker 10: No, I don't think I gronkspiked at all. Maybe one time, but I really can't recall it. But the Gronk spike picked up my second year when I started just scoring touchdowns like a machine week in and week out, and I started gronk spiking it. And I don't know exactly what spike caught on, but I remember I finally did it. I was like, Oh, I finally got to spike the ball. And then it just became like a meme. And I couldn't tell you exactly what spike it was. But then everyone's like, you got to keep spiking the ball, and it was just going all over the internet. Fans were loving it. And I can't tell you, is Zach, I can't pimp on exactly when it truly caught on.
Speaker 7: Do you do you remember?
Speaker 1: I don't remember which spike it was, but I just remember, like the first one that you did spike, he scored a touchdown. It was an insane touchdown and he threw it and he threw it down so hard the ball went like forty five yards in the air. And that's why it became the Gronk spike because people were like, oh my god, he just break the fucking football. September twenty six, twenty ten, is what ESPN credits as the debut of the Gronk spike.
Speaker 2: That was your second ever NFL touchdown, how can we ran extra hills out? Did you guys know this is gonna be one hundred and twenty play fucking game.
Speaker 11: You know, because we are sitting We practiced though for at Houston University. I remember, and we're sitting in the locker room and Bill said, you know what, we really need to be ready with these two point players. So that's why that was, you know, he had you know, he had a sense we need to be ready for him. No guarantee that's gonna happen, but we need you know, we need to be ready for this.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 11: And that was and you know, the running the running the hills put it in the bank. But you know, one of the great moments to me was, you know, you go on some teams say we're gonna run hills in December, you'd have a rebellion. Okay, And we had one game, it's probably around twenty sixteen. Practice was over. Bill didn't say a word. The whole team just went over to the hill because you.
Speaker 2: Know what we're going.
Speaker 11: Yeah, because and I hey, you know what, this team totally gets a chat. They champion. They don't need to be told. They know that, and they know this is going to payoff in a big way. Because one of the great quotes was after Super Bowl fifth Dan Quinn, the head coach of the Falcons. You remember what he said, we ran out of gas. And you know what, the new Ngom Patriots did not run out of the gas.
Speaker 2: We never ran a gas.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, at halftime, Jules is saying, gotta believe it's another gonna be a hell of a story. There it is, It's gonna be a hell of the story. But can you walk us through beat for beat? The pick six, he's an easy.
Speaker 13: One that that was one of the easiest you know, you know picks like because I always give credit to Rabel.
Speaker 7: You know Rabel, you know made him Aaron though.
Speaker 13: It was one of those things where you know, he did the same thing that Indy used to do and start putting Marvin in motion, so they put Isaac in motion so I couldn't get him at the line of scrimmage, and it was one of those places he had to back off. You go in to motion and you just seen it, You're coming. Rabel got through so clean that okay, now I'm just reading him. And then it was an Aaron throw. So I said, I'm gonna be Hesitan case Isaac because he had an Isaac can route. He will wrap the hell out of you. So it's like, okay, you playing for the double move. It might be because I didn't know because he wasn't going in motion like that until then. So I was kind of trying to feel it out. So what type of games is going to be? And Rabel came in there and he wind back to thought, I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, you bullshit.
Speaker 13: He dude, come on, man, come on, Kirk, you know what I mean. And it was coming like it was slow motion. I was like, oh, this is the super Bowl.
Speaker 7: That's the kind of shit you dropped because it's so easy. It's so easy, and you would drop it.
Speaker 13: But you know, once I got it, man, all you seen was flashes and it was like everything would blank, you know, and you know it's like.
Speaker 7: You hear the screens and it just went silent.
Speaker 13: And I'm running down there and just flashes and knowing that this is it, you know, in the super Bowl, and got that pic and the rest.
Speaker 7: We rolled the hell out of it, you know what I mean. We rode the hell out of that thing. Man. Hand That's just like I don't even know what I was doing.
Speaker 2: You know, I just I just it's super.
Speaker 7: I just lew it up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 13: It's something that I've never done before in any of my picks or my pick six.
Speaker 7: I didn't throw it.
Speaker 13: It was just something that just happened, and I threw it up there and it's been the iconic pitcher ever since.
Speaker 14: It was like, you know, we're gonna draft I don't mean, I'm like, oh, and we're gonna make him a receiver. So we're just gonna keep him at receiver, teach the receiver. We're gonna teach him how to return punts, be on special teams. And so he showed up and it was it was I'll never forget this. And Tom was hard on rookies, and I was hard on rookies too, I mean I really was. But like it was Welker in the like when you did routes on air, it would be Welker who was incredible, Julian who was learning, and then Buddy Farnham. Wasn't it Buddy Farnham or wasn't he the third guy?
Speaker 2: Baby? I don't know, but there was another guy and buddies from my hometown.
Speaker 14: So I just want to pick his name in there to it get get andover mentioned a little bit, and so so West would run the route and tom would throw West the ball. Yeah, and jeweles, I mean you'd step up and run the route basically the same exact way that West rent the route and act and Tommy would be like Jewels, I mean, didn't he just see how West did it?
Speaker 2: And you'd say, I'm doing it the same way. I'm doing it the same way.
Speaker 14: But you know what, over time, he's stuck with it and stuck with it, and he got better and better and then returned punts and and he was hurt a lot when he had injuries when I was there, so he became Julian Edelman kind of like after I left. But I mean in the two thousand and nine wild Card game, we got we got drilled. He was the best player on offense. I mean, he made a bunch of plays in that game. And we came in after that game and said, like, this guy's gonna be a great player for us.
Speaker 1: Bill's opening up. He's having fun. He's talking war stor where he's talking rookie skins. We're talking fun, shit, doing shit. We know what Bill's all about but it was like amplified because he was excited to see guys.
Speaker 2: Who's in the room. Randy Drew, Nice, Me Gronk. We were just chilling in there, Nice.
Speaker 12: And my brother and my buddy and the the funny thing is there interesting thing is I think I was kind of gone when they when the first sort of happened.
Speaker 7: But and then Craft walks in.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to just write.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and then Craft walks in, and so my brother was feeling sorry for himself because he's over there and belotchicks kind of holding court well as he's in the middle of the story. Craft walks in and so you guys all go over to satur Craft and the last and the last man standing. But to hear him tell the last man standing is my bro and he's like, well, Bell, Bill's telling the story. If I leave, then he's telling the story that nobody because everybody's over saying how to craft. And then uh, but they did. They did break it down and got together for I don't know, probably I don't know ten minutes at least the two.
Speaker 1: Of them tension in that room though it was it was real cut, it was it was very real it was real.
Speaker 2: I was so awkward.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was watching coach and I tried to give coach a heads up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I see craft walk in, I'm like, your coach, you know, like locker room ship, like five oh five oh, you know, like.
Speaker 14: He did.
Speaker 1: Of course she didn't see it right and he came in and I was just like, oh, ship, this could be fireworks. I just walked away. I didn't want to get in.
Speaker 2: I would have done that too, I think