Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Appo, CarPlay and then Proud Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I am Kayley Lions here on Balance of Power on Bloomberg TV and Radio, where we brought you the news earlier this week from the Harris campaign about a milestone crossed half a billion dollars fund raised since Joe Biden left the race five weeks ago, five hundred and forty million to the exact of which eighty two million, the campaign says was raised at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago last week. Now I will note here for full disclosure, Michael Bloomberg Michael R. Bloomberg, the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg LP, has contributed nineteen million dollars to Future Forward, which is a flagship super pac supporting Harris. I say that as we aim here to provide you with all of the facts, and the facts are right now. There is a fundraising gap between Trump and the RNC and Harris and the DNC. Filing show that the Biden to Harris campaign has raised more than a billion dollars this cycle, while Trump and the RNC has raised a little north of six hundred and thirty five million dollars. And it is to the RNC and it's co chair. We go now, Laura Trump, I'm pleased to say, is joining me here on Bloomberg TV and radio. She, of course, is the co chair of the Republican National Committee. Great to have you, Lara, Welcome back to Bloomberg. As we considered this fundraising gap, how do you aim to close it? Who do you go to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, listen, I don't think we ever keep pace with Democrats traditionally as Republicans. Look, you look back at the twenty sixteen race between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, and she far outraised us, and we know the outcome of that election. Now, of course, money is important. It affords us the ability to buy TV ads, to do digital advertising, to have a great ground game. And we're really proud of the number that we've raised so far. I think our most proud number may be our small dollar digital online fundraising. We are approaching our fiftieth day of over a million dollars raised in small dollar donations. These are donations under like forty dollars on average, And I think what that says is that you have the support of the American people behind Donald Trump right now.
Speaker 4: So we always aim to raise more money.
Speaker 3: We always try to encourage people to donate, and even in this bad economy that really is hurting so many people, we are still seeing very big fundraising numbers for Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: As you talk about the small dollar donors specifically, is that where you think more of the money you can raise will come from from the grassroots or there are other big ticket donors that you think you can pull in who may not have yet contributed to the campaign.
Speaker 4: Oh, we do.
Speaker 3: We do have our eye on some donors who we're bringing back into the fold, or maybe some new donor I won't give any names today, but some new donors as well. Look, you've seen Donald Trump really resonate with silicon over the past six months or so, and I think he's really shaken a lot of people awaken. A lot of people are now realizing how much better off their life, their businesses, and the trajectory of this country were when he.
Speaker 4: Was in office.
Speaker 3: And so you're seeing a lot of new donors and first time donors as well come in in a very big way.
Speaker 4: I do a lot of fundraising calls.
Speaker 3: I go to a lot of fundraising events, and oftentimes there are people coming up to me saying, I have never been to any political fundraiser in my life. I'm here maxing out to the RNC and the Trump campaign because they want Donald Trump back in office.
Speaker 2: Well, man, of course, it's one thing to raise money. It's another to consider how to spend it, and what the strategy should be and how it should change. Now that it's Kamala Harris at the top of the Democratic ticket instead of Joe Biden, pulling is consistently showing us that it does seem the map may be wider for her than it was for Biden in terms of states she could win. She of course, is spending time in Georgia today. There's indications she's pulling better in North Carolina. Do you have to rethink your allocation to some of those like in the Sun Belt now that it is the Harris campaign not the Biden one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, listen, of course you have a different candidate. You do have to change your tactic to an extent, and we certainly are doing certain things in very specific states, and we're looking at all the same polling as well, and we're making sure that where we need to kind of firm things up, we're going to allocate a little bit more money there. We're going to put more boots on the ground in those areas.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, it's a different game.
Speaker 3: But look, I think that apparently we're going to hear from Kamala Harris herself in her first television interview alongside.
Speaker 4: Her running mate tomorrow night. We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 3: And I think that after the September tenth debate, I think you're going to see another shift in numbers. I think people are going to very clearly see who Kamala Harris is. She's got a lot of questions to answer. She seems to have avoided the media very well to this point, and we really don't know where she stands on a lot of issues. And so I believe once the American people are not only reminded that she's been in office for three and a half years, that life is harder because she has been vice president as well for three and a half years, and she's got to sell.
Speaker 4: The American people.
Speaker 3: On four more years of this, I believe we're going to see polling shift again, and we feel very confident all across the country that we have our eye and exactly what we need to focus on, and that indeed Donald Trump will be re elected on November fifth.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we'll wait and see what further detail we get from Kamala Harrison that interview tomorrow. But if I could just get some more detail from you, Laura, you are talking about identifying potentially areas in which you will now need to shift strategy and invest more resources. Could you illustrate for us where some of those areas are. Is it North Carolina? Is it Georgia? Where exactly are you now targeting to a greater degree?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, listen, North Carolina is definitely a state where we've seen some movement. It looked very positive for Donald Trump in whenever he was going against Joe Biden. It still shows Donald Trump up on Kamala Harris, but we want to make sure that we increase that lead, so we certainly are prepared to put more money into that state. It is my home state and it's one that I've core want to win and I think Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is a must win state. I think that, you know, every election cycle we have seen consistently how important that state has become.
Speaker 4: I think the margins have tightened quite a bit there.
Speaker 3: You're going to see Donald Trump in Wisconsin coming up today, and so you know, we're making sure that everywhere that we felt very good prior to Kamala Harris being the nominee for the Democrats, we want to feel just as good on the other side of things, so we're prepared to invest wherever we need.
Speaker 2: Well, as you look at your home state, are you worried that the gubernatorial candidate there, Mark Robinson could actually create a drag on Donald Trump's own chances to see a problematic candidate for the Republican Party.
Speaker 3: Now, listen, I don't think you've ever seen that sort of movement for Donald Trump. In fact, I would say it's the opposite. I think that Donald Trump typically helps out the candidates in these various races down ballot races, whether it's within the state or for the House or the Senate, and so.
Speaker 4: That's not a concern at all.
Speaker 3: And I actually think you're going to look to races like you know, the race in Montana, the Senate race there, you're going to look at Ohio and Pennsylvanian. I think you're going to see that Donald Trump is going to be a huge boost for a lot of the down ballot candidates and the races within those various states.
Speaker 4: So that's not a concern for us at all.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, you know Donald Trump more better than most people ever. Will You are not just the CoA chair of the RNC, you are also his daughter in law. And what we have heard from Donald Trump pretty consistently in recent weeks on the campaign trail is that he is hearing from people close to him, his advisors, that they want him to focus on policy less so on personal attacks. But it does seem, and he has said as much that he'd like to keep going with the personal attacks. Do you have his ear on that, Laura, as his daughter in law and as RNC CoA chair, do you think he should be focusing more on policy?
Speaker 3: Well, I certainly have his ear, and he certainly asked my opinion about a variety of different things. And listen, I think that people have been very quick to criticize Donald Trump for the way he operates, and he definitely does not operate Keyley like a typical politician. He's still, even though he was president for four years, doesn't like to consider himself a politician. And I actually think you look back at the twenty sixteen election, for example, Donald Trump was such a great brander of people that it really gave him an edge during the primary with sixteen other candidates, all of whom could have been great presidents or great presidential nominees for the Republican ticket. And you look at the way that he branded Hillary Clinton. You look at the way that even in the early primaries in twenty twenty four you saw him do the same thing with people like Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley. It's Donald Trump who was left standing at the end. So sometimes people don't agree with the way he operates in the beginning, but I actually think that people down the line start to realize maybe he had the right idea to begin with.
Speaker 2: Well, something else that many may disagree with Donald Trump about is whether or not he should be willing to say now, I will accept the results of the election whatever they are. Instead, what we have heard from him suggestions that as long as he thinks it was free and fair, that's when he will decide. Some have read that is if he wins, he'll accept those results, especially considering that at the RNC, Laura, you are not just charged with getting a Republican elected to the presidency. It's about the Republican Party as a whole in the balance of power in Washington. Are you concerned that kind of rhetoric around election integrity may actually harm the Senate and congressional candidates who are trying to keep hold of the House and turn the Senate blue. What if they're able to do that and your father in law does not win, is he still going to claim that this election was not valid.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that what you've heard from Donald Trump is if this is a fair election, which is something that I'm working on day and night at the RNC. It's the number one focus of the RNC right now. We have a huge election integrity operation because, let's be honest, half the country had a lot of questions, maybe more about twenty twenty. Those questions were never answered. People were just supposed to forget about him. And it's paramount that in the United States of America trust our electoral process. This is integral to who we are as a country, and so we are trying to re establish that trust. Every day, we are doing everything we possibly can making sure that people are confident that no matter if you're voting for a Republican, a Democrat, or a third party candidate in this country, your vote matters and your vote counts. And unfortunately, we've gotten a lot of pushback from Democrat run states, and it's been very challenging to get transparency in an issue where we really need transparency. But I believe that what we are doing right now at the RNC is going to further the notion that we do indeed have free, fair and transparent elections. And so I think Donald Trump saying if this is a free election and a fair election and there's no funny business here is a perfectly legitimate thing to say, because again, you go ask half the country, they don't feel like everything was completely fair in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: All right, Laura Trump, appreciate you joining us here on Bloomberg TV and radio. The co chair of the rn C, thank you so much. And of course, for those that do still have questions about the results of twenty twenty, Joe Biden did win the election, and no court found that there was anything actually wrong with the democratic process in the last election cycle. For quick reaction now to our conversation with Larai, turned back to Bloomberg Politics contributor Genie Shanzeno, of course, also of Iona University. Genie, just in our final moments, I would love your reaction to what we just heard from co Chair Trump there, especially this notion that they're working toward free and fair elections. We have no indication at this point, correct that they won't be free and fair.
Speaker 5: Uh, we don't.
Speaker 6: And of course, you know, just a few hours ago on Doctor Phil Donald Trump said, quote, I won the election against Biden, and the reality is he lost by over seven million votes.
Speaker 5: That has been well established.
Speaker 6: There has been no evidence found in a number of court cases that there was any stolen votes in that election. So, you know, it is this kind of thing. Yes, we do need a free and fair election. We had one in twenty twenty and he lost. So it's that kind of thing that we have to, you know, just consider it. And I would also say, very very interesting to hear her talking about the small dollar donors. As you look at percentage of what they have fundraised, Donald Trump is around thirty one percent and Harris is around forty one percent, so there is a gap there, but I agree with her that is a critical number to be watching. Are those small dollar donors that they are taking it.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 2: And the other thing to consider here is not just whether or not the Trump and the RNC have the ability to keep tapping that base, but whether Kamala Harris still can we have a minute left Genie. She obviously has seen a frenetic pace of fundraising and she's enjoyed that since launching her candidacy, but is that really sustainable? Are these people who are likely to give to her more than once?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, she has done very well. The wind has been at her back. Certainly, they are going to try as hard as they can to keep it up. And I think it's noteworthy that Laura Trump was talking about Silicon Valley. They have been supportive of Trump, but unlike with Biden, they have also been supportive of Kamala Harris. Of course herself from California, so that is also an area to be watching. How much is the split from Silicon Valley between a Trump and a Harris. But she's going to try to keep up this pace but it is been a stunning pace that over happened at over five hundred million dollars at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible to see how quickly the money race and the race overall has changed. As we just heard from the R and C coachair herself, Laura Trump talking about tightening margins in Pennsylvania having to invest Moore in her home state of North Carolina as well.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast Ken Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and the nroyd Outo with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa playing Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I'm Kailee Lynes with a look at the campaign track. As we've told you, Kamala Harris and Tim Walls begin today a two day bus tour of Georgia, targeting specifically rural areas of the states. The strategy here or this state in particular. The strategy may be trying to drive out voters in these areas that they don't necessarily think they could win, but in where they could potentially reduce the margins, take their total vote counts statewide a bit higher and potentially get the sixteen Electoral College votes that come with it. So for more on this strategy, our political panel is with me Genie Shanzano, Senior Democracy Fellow at the Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress and more a Gillespie founder and principle at Blues Jack Strategies are Republican and Democratic panelists today, respectively. Genie, first to you just on this notion that they aren't going, although they will be in Savannah for a rally tomorrow to wrap this thing up, They're not necessarily targeting the cities, the urban areas in which the highest concentration usually of Democratic voters is on this tour. They're going instead to areas that you wouldn't necessarily think they stand a chance of winning. Is this a winning strategy though, try to get the vote count at least higher in some of these other parts of the state.
Speaker 6: It is, And you know, I think it's a strategy the Democrats have finally learned. Joe Biden was the first Democrat to win Georgia in twenty eight years, and Rafael Warnock John oss Off when they won the state as Democrats, they showed how to do it, which was not act as if Atlanta is Georgia. There are Democrats in those rural areas, and to your point, while they may not win them, they win the entire county. They can cut down on the Republicans lead in those areas and make up for votes in other parts of the state. So that's what they're hoping to do. It's the same thing they're trying to do in Pennsylvania as well. Philadelphia is not Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: We've got to.
Speaker 6: Hit those rural areas. So it's a very very smart strategy. They're also going to force Donald Trump to keep going back there because Georgia is something of a must win for Republicans to reach two seventy.
Speaker 2: Well, so, Laura, that's the other side of this coin, right, the more places where Harrison Walls try to compete, the more places they forced Trump advance to do the same.
Speaker 7: Right, absolutely, And to that point, you know, Georgia being so important for Republicans. It's also worth noting that the you know, kind of beef that's been happening largely because of Donald Trump lashing out against Governor Brian Kemp who is pretty popular. That doesn't bode well for Donald Trump and Jennie Vans. But I think that the relationship that down ballot Republicans have with Governor Brian Kemp and their favorable you know, respect for him, that they need to focus on that. You know, Trump should be really trying to repair that relationship because he needs Governor Kemp to do well in Georgia. But I think what we are seeing with Harrison Walls in this tactic that you know referred to, it's meeting the voters where they are, understand the long the big picture, and trying to meet them where they are and not necessarily just focusing on the cities. That's an important strategy and one that Republicans, you know, shouldn't take for granted a state like Georgia that it needs to be sought after.
Speaker 2: Well, so should Republicans also then be spending time in cities they don't necessarily think they can win outright, mora. Does this not go both ways? Absolutely?
Speaker 7: And you saw that already this year. You know, you saw Donald Trump campaigning places where especially like in New York and places out in California and places where you know you wouldn't necessarily think that Republicans even sot a chance. But he did it similar tactic where he was meeting the voters where they were and seeing, you know, if there was a group of voters to talk to you that were receptive to his message or receptive to you know, in a case of Trump, perceptive to you know, kind of the fear that he is reminding them. That stands to be real if at the time Biden Harris administration were to win again. But now with Harry's the top of the ticket, he's going to continue that messaging and reminding folks who maybe aren't doing so well in this current economy and are worried about their safety and security. He can reach voters in urban areas and talk about safety and security. You know. I think that's a message that Republicans again as a party, will continue to echo.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: And I want to focus more on the state of Georgia, specifically for a moment longer gene specifically the election rules that will govern Georgia come November when the votes are actually being counted. Earlier this month, the Georgia State Election Board voted to make it easier for county officials to delay or refuse the certification of election results. This is, of course, four years after twenty twenty, in which the twelve thousand vote margin was something of an issue for Donald Trump. It raised the of course infamous phone call that's where the beef with Georgia Republican leadership, including Brian Kemp that more was referencing did come from. How concerned should we be about these new rules in Georgia and what they mean ultimately for us understanding who actually actually won the state in November.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm so glad you raised this because i think for as much as we talk about what Harris and Trump and Vance and Waltz are doing out on the campaign trail, the real action is going on at the state and local level in these boards, you know, with these election administrators. And we've already heard Donald Trump repeatedly laying the groundwork that if he doesn't win this election outright, something was amiss. And you see Democrats now taking this change that you mentioned with this board in Georgia to court to try to stop this change in the way that these votes are certified. This is very important and we're seeing it in all of these swing states, or many of them, where these fights are ongoing, and of course we also know that we're going to have a lot of election of servers on the ground an election day, and all of this could mean that come election day and election night, when we wake up the next morning or maybe don't go to sleep at all, we may not know who won because so much of this may be thought out in a county and state by state basis where these elections are obviously close, and where we have rules changing unclear, and really you have a lot of power given to local election administrators in this case in Georgia.
Speaker 2: Mara does this risk being a strategy that backfires for Republicans? For Donald Trump, who already is questioning whether he'll accept the election of results if he doesn't think it's fair. Is that something that could act as a deterrent for his supporters to go out and actually vote if they aren't necessarily sure that they can count on the results.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you're you know, a kid, and you're playing a game with like, you know, playing against your friend, and they're constantly saying you're cheating, You're cheating, I really.
Speaker 4: Want, I really want.
Speaker 7: That gets old after a while, and honestly, it's just it's annoying, and I think at some point voters are just going to be very turned off by the fact that he's constantly before the election has even happened, he's already is pointed out, he's already saying that unless I win, or if I don't win, something somebody cheated. So what does that mean that it's only if he wins that things are great and our system is perfect. That doesn't I mean, if you're really thinking about this rationally, that's a terrible message to send out to the voters that their vote doesn't matter unless he wins. That's ridiculous and that's not how our system should ever work. I do agree that I think that this race is going to be very very close, especially in neighboring states like North Carolina, to be very very close. That the margin is very small there, and it has been for a number of years for the presidential and so this is going to be one of those times where we have to rise above the fray of what Donald Trump is doing and really hope that we are, you know, a nation that can rise above juvenile remarks as his. It's concerning to me that it will backfire on down ballot races, because people will be so disenfranchised to even engage that they won't remember that the down ballot impact is really important. To vote for your representatives and your senators and your local school boards. That's really important.
Speaker 2: Well, Mori, I'm glad you brought up North Carolina because, Genie, after last week while we were in Chicago, we saw the crystal Ball Sabadoe's Crystal Ball move North Carolina into the toss up column. We now have just seen Cook's Cook Political Report do the same North Carolina to toss up. What does that mean for how both campaigns need to consider that state? In particular, knowing that the governor of North Carolina, Roy Cooper, a Democrat, was once on Harris's short list, he could potentially be mobilized in this state. What does Harris need to do and how do you expect Trump to try to counter her?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and at the DNC, we saw the final speaker before Kamala Harris came out was none other than Roy Cooper and that was not by accident. And he ended his speech by a shout out to the seven swing states. So Democrats know you mentioned that this had moved over in another forecasting model and now it is moved over and cook and it means that Democrats have a chance there that they may not have had a month ago. And that means that once again, this is going to come down to money and time and organization. And Democrats have the benefit of having a very popular governor, Roy Cooper at the top of that state, and of course a rather controversial and unpopular Republican vying to be governor, so that may dampen turnout amongst Republicans or get more Democrats out. So, you know, this was a very fascinating turn of events because there was a time not that long ago, like Republicans thought they had North Carolina in the bag, so to speak, not so much anymore, which means more money and more time for Republicans in a state they would like to have tied up and moved on to other more important states.
Speaker 2: Well, it raises the question of whether Republicans Donald Trump specifically is going to have the kind of time and resources to dedicate to each one of these states. Mora, he is losing the fundraising game to Kamala Harris, at least at this point it's Harris that has the cash advantage. How does that need to change how his campaign thinks about targeting these states if they aren't necessarily going to have the same kind of dollars to spend that the opponent will.
Speaker 7: Right, and you mentioned earlier that Donald Trump was out there on the campaign trail that he has moved. You know, he's doing these rallies. But the problem is that during these rallies he espouses the things about election and the big lie and things of that nature, and spewing off things that you know, it would take forever just a fact check everything he says, and that we have seen in North Carolina when the alt right policies come through is when Democrats actually end up doing better. So you have his candidate Robinson has said, you know, basically anyone who advocated for birth control was a witch. You know, he says outlandish things, but we saw Ry Cooper was elected because largely of a alt right bill that got put in place before his election. So you know, it's it's yes, it's important that Trump is out there on the campaign trail, but it's not helpful to downballot Republicans if he is espousing conspiracy theories and outlandish and you know, again derogatory things towards other people. It just isn't helpful to their messaging on the economy and safety and security because he can't say on a message. So, you know, North Carolina being a flip toss up state makes complete sense to me given what they have and Robinson, but also the super school superintendent, state Superintendent Morrison. So it's just that's a problem as well or more. I think your name is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Mara A. Gillespie, Bluestack Strategies and Bloomberg Politics contributor Jeanie shan Zano our political panel today. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast, just live weekdays at noon Eastern on Appo car Play and then Proud Otto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, I am Kayley Lines here on Bloomberg TV and Radio, as we cover the beginning of the bus tour of Georgia for the Democratic ticket Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, targeting specifically southern rural areas of this critical swing state. It's ahead of a rally they will hold in Savannah tomorrow, And of course it coincides with recent polls that Joe Harris is doing better than Joe Biden was in Georgia before he left the race in July. The latest New York Times Siena poll finding Trump up by four points, but that is within the margin of error. They're trying to make a difference in the Sunbelt, it seems so for more. Let's turn to someone who has been spending a lot of time on the campaign trail lately. Bloomberg's Riley Griffin is here with me in studio. So, Riley, I know you've been with Donald Trump this week. I do want to just begin, though, with what the Democratic ticket is doing. The idea that they're devoting too full days and resources to Georgia, a state that seems like it was Donald Trump's to lose just five weeks ago. What is that signal about the odds they think they have down south?
Speaker 9: They certainly think Georgia is at play. This two day bus tour, which will weave through rural communities and land in Savannah, as you mentioned, is a sign that this is a state they think they have the potential to win. And ironically, you know Kamala Harris is campaigning there this week. As you mentioned, Trump is currently up in the pools in Georgia. Trump is in Michigan, where Kamala is perceived to have an edge, So they are flip flopping there in each other's a potential battleground state.
Speaker 2: Well, and I know you were with Trump in Michigan earlier this week where he was focusing specifically on foreign policy, the Afghanistan withdrawal, which of course we're marking three years since this week, blaming Harris effectively for how that went. Interesting to take a foreign policy message to Michigan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well, notably, he was speaking before a crowd of National Guard members. It was the National Guard Association's annual meeting, so he had a crowd of troops and this speech resonated with them. We saw a lot of people in the crowd cheering, standing, laughing, and that message from about Afghanistan that he projected onto Harris extended to other foreign policy matters. He talked about a perceived US weakness in the rest of the world. He talked about foreign policy with China. He went so far as to associate the withdrawal from Afghanistan with October seventh in Israel, which is a big leap, but one that resonated with the crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something I've been asking a lot of Middle East experts about this week, whether there is some blame that should be cast on that withdraw. It seems to get mixed reviews. A lot of people have indicated that these things are very separate, but it's still a good point. And of course Jade Vance himself is going to be in a number of other swing states today, the other parts of the Blue rall Pennsylvania and then later on was Wsconsin. This is a pretty frenetic pace of campaigning we're starting to see from the Republican ticket after they were well. Of course Vans hasn't always been on it, but Donald Trump himself wasn't out and about on this many weekdays during the campaign just a month ago.
Speaker 9: You can see that they are responding to the momentum of the Harris Walls campaign in the wake of the DNC and certainly in anticipation of the closely watched debate that is forthcoming on September tenth, So a lot of momentum to build. There's a really short runway to election day, but not just election Day. Early ballots will start to be cast in coming weeks. So the game has started today and they are moving. You mentioned that Trump is in Michigan. You will also have a event in Potterville, Michigan, a very small town of three thousand people, this coming Thursday. And so the rural vote is at play, the suburban vote is at play, the youth vote is at play, and specifically in these seven swing states, they are making their mark.
Speaker 2: Well, just because you brought up the youth vote and I might consider myself a youth in this area, though I think Taylor Swift probably transcends generations. Swifties for Kamala has begun without Taylor Swift, though this isn't Taylor leading the charge, but Swifties are back in Harrisa.
Speaker 9: Yes, last night we saw the first ever event for Swifties for Kamala. The campaign manager is actually someone who formerly ran John Fetterman's campaign in Pennsylvania. So these young digital strategists are seizing the swift momentum despite the fact that she didn't come out at the DNC like many of us hoped, and Trump himself is doing that too. He posted a user generated excuse me ai generated picture of Taylor Swift backing him. So both parties would no doubt love that support were she one day to formally make a commitment to one or the other. But swifties right now are coming out on their own, and Elizabeth Warren was on that call, So you're seeing Democrats join in.
Speaker 2: Is Elizabeth Warren a swifty?
Speaker 9: She identified as a swifty? Everybody on the call had to name their favorite song and mark you was on the call, so you saw a lot of Dems coming and letting the people know which Swift song was theirs.
Speaker 2: Which one was Elizabeth Warrence, Oh.
Speaker 4: I can't remember.
Speaker 9: You're testing me? Which one is yours?
Speaker 2: All too well? Ten minute version? Obviously that is the only right answer for anyone considering. But it does speak to this point that she has been able to do something with social media with her campaign that we weren't necessarily seeing with Joe Biden. He raised the debate that's going to happen in a couple weeks it's on September tenth. That it does raise the question of how much of that is going to be the people who will watch it live versus the moments that could go viral that will be recirculated on TikTok or wherever social platform people find themselves in the aftermath.
Speaker 9: Ideally, either candidate wants to reach both the audience that is tuning into cable news and the audience that is finding these clippable moments on TikTok, And we saw at the DNC two hundred influencers get credentials to come and snap those little moments. And it's in fact something that the Harris Walls campaign has come under a little bit of criticism from because they haven't done big scale press interviews. But we actually get one of those this Thursday on CNN with Dana Bash. Both Vice President Harris and Governor Tim Walls will be joining CNN for that first kind of reveal, so another highly watched moment before the debate.
Speaker 2: And of course that interview being taped in Georgia where the ticket is today. Bloomberg's Riley Griffin, thank you so much covering the campaign trail for us as we get closer and closer to that vote in November, appreciate it. And of course, as we get closer to that vote and talk more about these candidates, it is worth pointing out that one of the candidates is still facing some legal difficulty, and there was a development in that regard for Donald Trump. Yesterday he was hit with a new superseding indictment for Special Counsel Jacksmith in the twenty twenty election interference case here in Washington. It still charges him with the same four crimes. He still is the sole defendant, and yet it removes some things that could have been classified as a official acts. In the aftermath of the Supreme Court's decision in July that found Donald Trump is at least partially immune from official acts taken as president. I spoke more about this new indictment last night with Nick Ackerman, former Watergate prosecutor, and this is how he explained what's really different here.
Speaker 10: What the government has done here is, rather than take the initial indictment and mark it up before the judge, because Judge Chutkin has to decide which acts that are charged in here were official acts or which were unofficial acts. Official acts would particularly be immuned. So what the government has done is they've basically redone the indictment, taken out that entire section on the Department of Justice, and that Jeffrey Clark would be made the attorney general because he was going to send a phony letter to the various state legislatures saying that there was fraud in the election when there was no such fraud. But what they've done is they've alleged everything else in terms of acts that were not official.
Speaker 2: That was Nick Ackerman last night, and we turned now to another legal expert. Dave ahren Berg is with me. He is the state attorney in Palm Beach County. Welcome back to Bloomberg TV and Radio. Dave. It's been a while. We weren't necessarily thinking that there would be something new in Trump legal world necessarily yesterday, but this did drop in our lapse, And I think the question all of us had immediately is what really does this change about the likelihood that Donald Trump could actually be found guilty or innocent of these crimes, Whether or not it goes to trial before at the election, does that all remain the same even if it does try to bring this prosecution forward in someday, does it not necessarily accelerate the way in which it does.
Speaker 11: Bailey, good to be back with you. This means that the cases are going forward, but they're not going to happen before the election. There will be no trial of Donald Trump before at the election, except there could be a mini trial in Washington, DC in the election interference case. It is possible that Jack Smith pushes for this open this hearing where Mike Pence testifies and you find out more details about Trump's involvement before and after January sixth, whether they were official acts or unofficial acts. It would be up to Judge Chukin. There have been reports recently that Jack Smith and the Department of Justice did not want to go forward with the mini trial, but we haven't heard anything from Jack Smith yet. That's still a possibility. But even though these filings took place, they do not mean that these cases are going to be heard before the election. They will be happening after the election. It just means that if Trump loses the election, it will be game on for him in court.
Speaker 2: Well, just because you raise the former vice president, Mike Pence, Dave, I do wonder what you think about the fact that he is still included in this indictment for being vice president communications that the president was having with his vice president at the time, the vice president, of course, having that ceremony in the certification of the election is that actually something that could be damaging to Jack Smith's case. The fact that that was not removed from this new superseding indictment.
Speaker 11: Well, jack Smith decided to go right up to the line because that was a gray area. The Supreme Court said, yeah, we're going to give it a presumption of immunity because talking to your vice president is an official act. On the other hand, if Mike Pence is acting as the President of the Senate, then it doesn't mean that it's an official act. It may not be an official act. Plus, Trump allegedly was acting as an office seeker, not an office holder, someone who was trying to overturn the election, and trying to convince Mike Pence as the president of the Senate, not as the vice president, to throw out the ballot. So I see why Jack Smith did what he did. I think he's right to do it. But it shows you that Jack Smith decided to err on the side of moving forward with the prosecution. I'm prosecuting Trump, rather than deferring to the Supreme Court's broad immunity decision and saying we're going to take steps back. Now, he's going right up to that line.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good move.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 2: On the subject of the Supreme Court's amenity decision, we got a bit more on that from one of the justices, who of course dissented. Katanji Brown Jackson sat for an interview on CBS and was talking about this case, and she basically just kind of talked about her concerns regarding immunity. Take a listen to what she said, Dave, and I'll have more for you.
Speaker 12: I was concerned about a system that appeared to provide immunity for one individual under one set of circumstances, when we have a criminal justice system that had ordinarily treated everyone the same. I think there are legal issues that arise out of the political process, and so the Supreme Court has to be prepared to respond if that should be necessary.
Speaker 2: And I wondered, if you ultimately think this question is coming back to Justice Ktanji Brown Jackson and her other colleagues on the Court, is that ultimately where this goes. Could we see once again Trump appealing this new indictment and the Court being put back in the position where it has to delineate what is an official and unofficial action in a way that it did not in its initial ruling in July.
Speaker 11: This is definitely heading back to the Supreme Court because the Supreme Court's decision was broad, but it was also vague, it was confusing, and you have these standards that need be fleshed out. So what's going to happen is that Jack Smith refiled the indictment. He trimmed off the fat. You know, they're not going to go after the communications with the Department of Justice and Jeff Clark and the attempts to remove the acting Attorney General, but everything else is a goat. And then Trump is going to say, no, it should not be a go You shouldn't be able to prosecute me for talking to Mike Pence, for example. It'll get appealed, it'll go all the way up to the Supreme Court, and they're going to have to give more meat on the bones their decision. I thought the decision that Justice Roberts put out was waiting on the pailffs is being confusing. It was unprecedented. It gave the executive branch way more power than ever before in our country's history. So anything that provides a little more detail, a little more guidance, is a good thing. And yes, it is headed back up to the Supreme Court at some point, which means more delays in this case.
Speaker 2: Well, on the subject of delays in the cases relating to former President Donald Trump, we of course saw the case that's in your neck of the woods, Dave, the Document's case in Florida, delayed, delayed, delayed, until ultimately it was outright dismissed earlier this summer by Judgejggling Cannon, who of course was a Trump appointee. We did hear from Jack Smith also this week in essentially trying to get that case to be revived and to move forward, filing essentially an appeal that says, hey, I was constitutionally appointed. That's obviously not what Judge Cannon found in this case. Do you expect he will be successful? Will this be a case that is able to move forward? Word?
Speaker 11: Yes, the Eleventh Circuit quarter appeal, a conservative circuit, will overturn Judge can And I feel very confident in that because Judge Canneth's ruling eyes in the face of all legal precedent. There have been other courts repeatedly that have allowed the Special Council to continue that. Now this is the first time a judge has ever said that the Special Council was unconstitutional because he has too much independence, which ironically is the opposite of what Donald Trump has been saying on the campaign trail, saying Jack Smith is just a tool for Merrick Garland and Joe Biden and the politicization of the DOJ. It's the opposite argument that his lawyer's made in court. And in the end, Judge can went along in a decision that I think certainly will be reversed by the Eleventh Circuit. I then think the Supreme Court may weigh in.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 11: I can't say what the Supreme Court is going to do because they seem to find new ways to bring out extremist opinions, and so we'll see if they then create new rules. But I think for sure she will be over turned by the Eleventh Circuit. Then the question is will she be removed from the case. Jacksmith did not ask for her to be removed from the case. I think it's unlikely, but the Eleventh.
Speaker 4: Circuit could on it.
Speaker 11: Some say enough, you have been reversed on this Special Master in this case twice, and now you're reversed here. Let's find a new judge it's possible, but probably unlikely.
Speaker 2: And what's the timeline for all of this to play out, Dave, I'm guessing this also not likely to be something resolved prior to November.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Jacksonith seems to have taken this spot off the gas, knowing that this is never going to be tried before the election, and I think the Eleventh Circuit also realizes that there's no urgency in having to do this. So this will be months and then they'll come out with a ruling. Then it will be appealed to the Supreme Court. So the one thing that Trump is successful at is delay, win or lose. The delays are going to happen, and if he is elected president again, then it will pay off for him because his new attorney general will certainly drop every federal case against him. Who'll be left with the New York and the Georgia cases. But then it'll be a constutional crisis as to what happens when you have a president facing a criminal trial in Georgia in a state case while he's sitting in the White House.
Speaker 4: We've never been down.
Speaker 11: This road before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible to consider the possibility. Dave. Arenberg always great to have you here on Balance of Power. Appreciate your time. Dave Aerberg, of course, is Palm Beach County's state attorney.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast kens just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Apple car Play and then royd Oto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: We've also been watching geopolitics this week too, including the visit to China by US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. He met today with officials, including the Chinese Foreign Minister, and we've got a readout from the White House about that meeting. They say the two sides held and this is a quote candid, substantive and constructive discussions, including Sullivan raising concerns about trade and unfair trade policies and the importance of peace in the Taiwan Strait. The statement also says that they discussed planning for a leader level call in the coming weeks. So maybe we should be on watch for Joe Biden and Hijinping to have a conversation. We want to have more on this visit and what tangible outcomes really we can't expect. Mary Lovely is joining me now. She is senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics. Welcome back to Bloomberg. Mary, Always great to have you. So we know that they discussed these things that they've been discussing for some time. But even the statement itself alludes to the notion that they just are prioritizing the dialogue happening and maintaining communication. Is that really all this visit is about.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I think the dialogue is important. It has certainly changed. We've seen since the meeting in San Francisco last year between the two leaders, a real change in China's approach, for example, to American multinationals operating in the Chinese market. So it has produced some tangible changes. And of course it's always good when the temperature is a bit reduced and when we think that the leaders are trying to solve problems. So I would say, yes, this is important. We're seeing some movement. We've had important dialogues between key US agencies and their counterparts in China. We're seeing perhaps some movement on the fentanyl problem and a lot of high level discussions around Taiwan where I think everybody wants to avoid an unintended.
Speaker 5: Conflict. So I think this is good news.
Speaker 8: And it's good news also that they're talking about perhaps a leadership call before the election.
Speaker 2: Well, of course the leaders will be speaking. It will include one leader who has made himself effectively a lame duck. Joe Biden will no longer be President of the United States come January. Mary, How does that change the nature of these discussions. Is China going to be making any commitments to an outgoing president.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think China's going to be making any commitments, but it's important because a lot of the work is done under the presidential level, so it's done at the agencies, and I think this is important to continue those dialogues and also to clarify issues. Now, obviously, we have two candidates for president who hold very different views on China are likely to pursue very different policies.
Speaker 5: So the election is.
Speaker 8: Going to have a big impact on US China relations. And you're right, Kayley, that President Sheijinping knows that and will not make commitments.
Speaker 5: But it's still an important meeting.
Speaker 2: I think Mary, do you think She Jinping has a preference in terms of the outcome of the US election, knowing what Donald Trump is saying he'll do in regard to tariffs on Chinese goods specifically, though it is kind of a bipartisan thing these days to be hawkish on China. Do you think China thinks there is a real difference here?
Speaker 8: Well, I always say the last thing anybody wants to do is to predict what's in Hi Jinping's minds, So I won't say, but I will say that they do understand that there is a difference, and President Trump sometimes is viewed as someone that China might prefer because you know, they cut a deal with him on the Phase one deal, and and in some sense that is viewed as something they can work with. I would say that President Biden has been more effective in terms of restricting the flow of technology to China and gain engage engaging our allies in terms of joining those sanctions, So there is some possibility that they would prefer Trump administration. On the other hand, the Trump policies, at least from an economics perspective, are widely viewed as deeply destabilizing, and the last thing China needs, which, as widely reported with soft economy right now, is more global instability. So I think they would look at a continuation of the Biden policies in some sense through a Harris administration as welcome as well. Well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you raised the technology export constraints that the Biden administration has put in place, because of course we're all a waiting for after the bell today results from Nvidia, this is a company that has been affected by the export controls. There are restraints around the kind of chips, the caliber of chips that they can sell in China. How much tighter do you expect those constraints on critical technology like semiconductors will get regardless of who the next administration is. Is this an area in which especially the companies who are making these things are going to have to expect at some point they can't sell to China at all?
Speaker 5: I think that is correct.
Speaker 8: I think every tech executive knows that this is uh, this is probably.
Speaker 5: Going to be a no go area.
Speaker 8: Interestingly, we've been doing new research, and you know the Trump administration, the Biden administration imposed export controls them through the Entity List, which restricts the types of things that you can sell to Chinese firms.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 5: They use it about you know, as equally as often.
Speaker 8: About about four hundred firms were listed by each so you know, this is not something new.
Speaker 5: I think it's something.
Speaker 8: That firms are going to have to have to deal with, but I think it's also something that we, as you know, Americans more generally have to deal with because it has side effects.
Speaker 5: It looks like it's a cheap way to.
Speaker 8: Prevent technology technology flowing out or unwanted technology technology trans to China.
Speaker 5: It's not on the.
Speaker 8: Budget, but it obviously has costs for these firms. As you noted, it affects their revenue and their stock price. And these are firms that rely on that revenue to do the R and D that keeps the United States at the forefront, So restricting their revenue in this way is a very potentially dangerous aspect to this whole policy. Obviously, there's a lot of good reasons why we want to restrict technology, but it's not the type of tool that can be used without careful consideration of side effects.
Speaker 5: Other side effects, of course.
Speaker 8: Are that these companies in China will just go to competitor firms and the more we use them, the less our allies are willing to go along with us, and so those sales will just move from American firms to foreign firms. And lastly, of course, we have greatly incentivized Sheet and Ping's desire and the flow of funds to technology firms inside China for indigenous innovation. And as we've always known, with dual use technology, there will be a ketchup. The US is trying to stay more than one generation ahead, but we are really fueling their ketchup process. So it's an important tool addressing important and imperative concerns for the United States, but it's something that has to be used very carefully.
Speaker 2: All right, Mary Lovely, it's always great to have you here on Balance of Power. Thank you so much for joining us. Of course, coming to us from the Peterson Institute. It'll be interesting to see what kind of commentary around China we do get from Nvidia when it reports after the bell. I would point out that this stock, which of course represents seven percent of the S and P five hundred right now, is down about two point six percent on the day.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast.
Speaker 1: Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: At noon time stud at Bloomberg dot com