Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, Well from back e y L. Hometown Heroes definitely a Hometown Hometown Heroes edition, not one four. That's a fact. So if you listen, if you're a loyal listening to us, if you're association, if you're a loyal listener to to the ARNI a leisure platform. You know that we hip hop heads. We really grew up listening to rap and it really influenced us a lot, a lot, a lot, probably more than anything for sure. So you know, coming from Westchester now one four of course, of course one of our major influences is none other than the Locks. That's like, we grew up on the Lox.
Speaker 3: That's the fact, Yo, mid nineties kids, that's all we had, That's all we had. I forget the first time I heard You'll see, I was like, Yo, they're from where we're from.
Speaker 2: Yo. Yeah, it wasn't too many. I mean you always had Pete Roxy, oh smooth, you had heavy D brand older than us, so like growing up like you guys DMX. Of course I can't forget about the dog, but it was, it was a big deal. So this is this is big for us. This is this is something that we're definitely looking forward to. The interview styles p the Ghosts, none other and Odua styles. I get very nervous when I pronounced names.
Speaker 4: You always say pronounce it for me.
Speaker 2: My name is Bla Alway. People always call me Rashid.
Speaker 5: They and you are I know how I feel.
Speaker 2: So first and foremost song, we want to thank you guys for joining us, appreciate.
Speaker 6: It, thank you for havings, for having Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna talk about a variety of different things because you guys are entrepreneurs and this is an entrepreneur business platform. But first I want to start where it all started for you, styles in the music business. And I feel like you're interested when it comes to music, because it's not too many artists that like twenty five years you've been in the game or something like that, probably.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like so it's almost very very long time.
Speaker 2: It's almost three decades, so it's not too many artists that have actually transitioned for that long period of time. So you came in Bad Boy Records.
Speaker 6: In ninety six.
Speaker 7: I was nineteen ninety six, is yeah my professional debut?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So how has things changed? Because it's like, I feel like you came in young and obviously you probably, like all artists, you don't really know the business, but you learned the business as you go. So, like, how has the music industry changed in your opinion from the nineties when we was having a million dollar videos and now you know it's all about it's changed.
Speaker 6: It's changed tremendously because times have changed.
Speaker 7: I mean it was it's bound and changing it because everything about it has changed. How you lay music, how you could send it, how fast you could send it. You know, it wasn't Protus twelve or whatever we're on right now those you know, it started with rails and things of that nature.
Speaker 6: Then at times just kept advancing.
Speaker 7: So I think things have changed because as you said, like when we were coming in a game, you guys loved us because you knew we were from.
Speaker 6: Nine one four. It meant something. So I think.
Speaker 7: Where you you know, people were more touched by where people were from when they got the hit their music, and it was more like you're invested in the story now as to where Now with the Internet, you know, people know where they're from and love where they're from.
Speaker 6: But you know, New Yorkers may sound like a South dude.
Speaker 7: You may have a bunch of New York dudes who don't sound like they're from New York just because they have the reach and access to everywhere else in the world now, like you know what I mean. So I think that alone and just technology and how much money has been made and how big the industry changes it all.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things that's commendable.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you've been in it for twenty five years, but y'all been a group for that long. We don't see that in hip hop. We don't see guys sticking together. I know one of my favorite lines you have that was like every man's ahead of the group, and like y'all stuck by that. But at a certain point, I think you probably, maybe the forefront of it, you had an independent situation. And what's preaching that is that because of business deals that you've had obviously the bad.
Speaker 7: Boy era, and just because you're in a group, don't mean you all have to visualize.
Speaker 6: And see everything the same way.
Speaker 7: Like we're a group, and you know, we keep out what goes on in between the group between a group as far as business goes, I like independence and I like major I just don't like working for people. I like working with people. I don't really have anything against the majors. It's just when you're on a major as an artist, you know, it's it gets difficult, you know what I mean? So I'd rather do business with you and work with you than work for you. I'm not a I'm not good with working for people, you know what I mean. So we're independent, your life is more on your in your own hands, and you're you're more control and you know. But with that, I've learned how to do business in the majors and learn if I'm going to go work with the majors, I'm gonna do a partnership and not just be an artist, like you know what I mean. So I think it's a fine line between what makes you comfortable as a person.
Speaker 2: Well when did that? Because I obviously, like Steve Stole, everybody told about owning your masters. Now that's like real popular. Yeah you guys as early on that obviously the issue with bad Boy whatever as far as but at one point, I guess you had to realize, like getting on your masters, it's important to own your masters a for like up and coming artists and creators. How important can we hear about masters a lot? Right? But like as an artist, how important is it actually to own your masters? And when did that actually trigger in your brain?
Speaker 7: Like yo, I think I think with anything you do, that's like you want to own it if you put your time in your and your effort and your working, like you know what I mean, Like if you started to start somewhere or you start anything, that the object to end. The object is for ownership, to have ownership of something, to have some kind of equity, and how we're in the equity of whatever business you're involved in. So I think once you start getting to the numbers of how it's crunched down in music, you start understanding it's a small part.
Speaker 6: Of the scale.
Speaker 7: But then it's also a flip side to it because it really depends on what type of artists you are, you know what I mean, and what you want to do, Like what are you in it for?
Speaker 6: What are you trying to do with it?
Speaker 7: So it's like, you know, I think it's a broad conversation when it comes to saying, all right, I want to own my masters. We've been around for a lot of years, so it makes sense for us to want to own our masters.
Speaker 6: It makes sense for everybody to want to own their masters.
Speaker 7: But a lot of people, you know, it takes a lot to learn the music game, like you know what I mean, And as it goes, I think people still.
Speaker 6: Don't know what's going on.
Speaker 7: I don't I'm still learning everything everything in life with me is a constant learning process every day, Like I don't, I will never Yeah, by default, I never know most of us just knowing I don't know enoughing I need to learn something new, and having a wife that always reminds me. You know, you want to be around smarter people, people who know more, or people who are more.
Speaker 6: Experienced, people you could gather something from.
Speaker 7: So don't I can't break down to you in real terms how streams work right now, and I don't think most artists can. I don't think most of the people who own the streaming business can, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So it's something we get adapted to and acting like we know.
Speaker 7: A lot of things, like if you see how thick a record contract is, unless you're a lawyer, how would you ever know that record contract? So the best thing is now learning the power of renegotiating and being able to deal with different people and then being able to say, Okay, I don't know, Like I like to tell someone straight up when I don't know something, but I know someone who does know, And I'm not the person you should jerk because I will double on triple check just to make sure because I don't know. But I think when any business you're in, you have to know you never know enohing. It's more you could learn and I know that from being married and just like you was with that, but you know, but you got to move on. And that's that's not just for work, that's kind of what with life in general. Like not to be funny, but like that was this morning, Like it was like, all right, you go over certain things and you have to put it in playing your life and that's pretty much work for me.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question. So here all the time, you shouldn't mix business and family. You shouldn't work with your especially your spouse. It's kind of difficult to like meet with somebody.
Speaker 4: You're always gonna get us in trouble. I'm like, no, it's great, it's great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I mean I think that's important. Like how does that work as far as the dynamic of you guys a business partners, but you're also life partners as well, Like, well, how's that work out?
Speaker 8: Well, it's taken to time to get an adjustment. No really, because initially you just go into it and then you realize, okay, we are actually spending a lot of time with each other and then you do to certain things that happen, you realize we actually have the same outlook at the end of the day. So it's like we'll go through certain things, but we know at the end of the day what our end goal is and what we want for each other and as a family.
Speaker 5: So but it definitely gets challenging, and.
Speaker 8: We for the most part, I would say organized and I ration in the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I plan it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: Like some days I'll say, like you should handle this, Like we can't be around each other the energy. Sometimes it's just not copaesthetic every day. So it just becomes, you know, understanding that we'll still have to see each other at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: So how we.
Speaker 8: Can you know, delegate during the day have a better peaceful evening.
Speaker 3: I feel like watching it from the sideline from outside looking in, it's like some people hire managers and some people have wives.
Speaker 8: Because throughout, you know, even with his managers, I have a good strong relationship with them because we have to all work and you know, with each other, just.
Speaker 4: To suit him, I mean, must have been a conversation.
Speaker 8: It's a great harmonious marriage because we need to have everybody needs to be cohesive, and in order to do that, we have to be on the same page. So the relationships are very important and I have to be involved with them, and not so much just to be controlling, but just so that everything's organized and I get the full scope on how to plan things.
Speaker 6: You know, s P.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, doesn't this make life easier though, right when when you've got when you got your life partner help manage in the life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, if it's the right partner, yes and no. No, even with the right partners. Yeah, even with the right partners, yes and no.
Speaker 7: It's because it depends what lady, in what space you are in life, to be honest, because if it forces you to grow, like because some days she says things to me that I really don't want to hear. And it's like I would say, constructive criticism, but that you learned later to be thankful for.
Speaker 6: But some days I'm not the how I work and she works, we work.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of likenesses and then we have a lot of differences. So sometimes were like this, it's like dealing with a mirror. It's like so sometimes, like like she said, it's like you know what you do this today. I'll do this today, or you do this, I'll do this, and then we'll we'll we'll figure it out later because most of the time she's more right than me, and I.
Speaker 6: Just don't like it.
Speaker 5: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 7: But again it's I don't keep it a buck like sometimes I like being right, like you know what I mean, like like wrong?
Speaker 2: But hey, so, how did how did this come about? This is interesting in because so.
Speaker 4: And shout Daniel, but yeah, Greenberg connection.
Speaker 2: Is that your name? I don't know if you just found that out fact depending on where you met up. But he made a good point because he was, like, you know, he's personally witnessed the community changed once the juice bar opened, Like people come in here and it's part of their daily routine. Like he said, he actually saw the transformation happen. And he brung up a point that you know, well south youka is where we are right now is a food desert. I used to live in Baltimore and I did a research study and that's the first time I actually learned about food deserts. I never really realized that it was. You just get used to it. But where it's strategically placed, where it's they're not like real healthy sources for people to get food, and then they have to spend more money on junk food than they like buy like groceries and like gas stations, and it's like all kinds of processed foods and all that. So how did this come about? As far as Okay, you're a rap artist and now you are opening juice bar?
Speaker 6: Was this is a multiple answering.
Speaker 7: One one my wife here, I was on the road a lot, so she was telling me to eat better.
Speaker 6: And just live better. When I get home, I always ate, well, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: So but like I never knew what kill was until I was like, I know, spinach and collar green.
Speaker 6: I was like, what the hell's kille? So just some introducing foods to my life.
Speaker 7: And then also my partner and nine Nige, he had a juice on one hundred and twenty fifth.
Speaker 6: Fruits of Life.
Speaker 7: So just listening to her being on a roll like trying to carry it outside. And then also looking for peace too. I was I was getting in a lot of trouble at the time on the street, so I was trying to look for a new hangout and looked for some peace at the same time, and then from going there just you know, it was probably me, my partner, nine like my other partner Leo, and maybe five to six other customers at first.
Speaker 6: So I just started making it part of life, like.
Speaker 7: Whoever wanted to meet me or see me wherever, Like just meet me on two fifth of the juice ball, I have a juice eat.
Speaker 6: And then I lost weight. Yeah, you know, start changing, and I just started pushing it more.
Speaker 7: And then really it was at the we were living pretty well, and so as we started living better and moving to better places, and then just like also, like I said, I didn't even know what organic was until she told me, Like, so you know, I lived a certain way for a long time, and still I was like organic that sounded so farming, and organic is just the right thing in me is naturally and it's right form on tampered with, but that sounded so feign to me. So from just you know, having my wife going to the jewe Far and then noticing, as you know, making money, I was like, wow, we how they live in other neighborhoods and you know, you think it's just the parks and the schools, but when you start getting to the supermarkets and walking down the aisles and start really paying attention. I started really just paying attention, and we started paying attention.
Speaker 8: But the ultimate benefit for him was the benefits from it. Yeah, you know, so aside from all of that, like when you really start to see certain things heal and you know, ailments heal and get better and your body start to change and turn around and respond to your new diet, then it's more of an incentive to keep going.
Speaker 6: So spread the word. Yeah, you spread the word.
Speaker 3: In my mind, I was thinking like, because, like I said, we've watched you grow up like this. We've watched it happened. So in my mind, I'm thinking, like, what was the event? And now you're saying that your wife introduced it to you. So I'm wondering, have you always been on the healthy kid? Yes, so like you introduced it because this was already your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 8: Now the thing about me is I was raised in a rosta household. So that's I told that's you know, no, what is it?
Speaker 6: Come on?
Speaker 5: I was vital, but the no flying SARTs so and I didn't want to say that that the.
Speaker 8: Household I grew up in, you know, And I just kind of you know, continued it when I got older. So when I got married and I had kids, and I wanted them to eat healthy. That's how I you know, cooked and so forth. And I think as we got older and developed as a couple and we were growing, we just tried to always do things better. You know, we're always trying to improve on something, especially if you know, we you know, get sick or the kids get sick, when somebody responds to something negatively, we're always like, okay, well we're not going to do that anymore, and let's just go do something else. So because he had some issues, like he was hyper, he was he had what.
Speaker 5: You had. When those things healed and.
Speaker 4: The juice, it sounds like.
Speaker 2: When you lost a lot of weight. I remember seeing that you lost the out of weight. I think Kiss lost a lot of weight too. You didn kiss Crew here. I didn't even know that was him. I'm like, yo, he was just purposely balled. Jesus is like magical. But so whose idea was it? For the strategic partners? That's another thing thing told about that was actually pretty dope. When he told me about that, Like, I guess in each location you got like different partners.
Speaker 7: Well, I but in the juice Wow. I really wasn't meant to being a juice bo. I was forced by my partner's noth leal like in doing it. They was like I told you I used to visit the juice bar. Then you know, it was his family's business. He was doing something else and then he closed down and then he just called me and he kept kept in contact call.
Speaker 6: He was like, nah, I'm opening another juice barn. You're my partner.
Speaker 7: I was like, nah, I'm good because I was supposed to be a partner down there.
Speaker 6: I used to ask me. I was like, nah, I'm cool. Let me just I.
Speaker 7: Didn't really I didn't want to be invested in it because I wasn't. I didn't know enough, you know what I mean. And I just really wanted it people to feel good how I was feeling. So he was like, not for what you do. You got to be part of it.
Speaker 6: You're in it.
Speaker 5: So because of him, so it was like a no brainer.
Speaker 6: So it just worked and then some I promoted. I was like the cheerleader for you.
Speaker 2: Got four juic locations.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have full locations and we have pharmacy for life or online store, you know what I mean, where you can get natural products like black seed oil, oil of regular soursa irish, more BCD vitamins, things for your stomach.
Speaker 9: Pharmacy is a little different, well it's a lot different, but it's like the sister company and it's just an extension of what we do with the juice bar, but it's more like we heil from our cell your level with supplements like sea moss and ladder rack and black seed and so everything that we have and we use that are that target specific.
Speaker 8: These is there. You know, they don't harm the rest of the body. You're healing essentially the rest of the body. So whereas if you do use you know, traditional medicine, you're always affecting another part of the body most of the time by the medicine.
Speaker 5: So we just try to heal from inside out.
Speaker 4: That's dope.
Speaker 3: So I mean the four locations obviously you've planted them inside of bracken Brown communities very intentionally to get give healthy alternatives. And so I'm thinking, one, is there a more expansion coming? And two if somebody you know from young because it's like, yo, I want to get invested in this, what's the type of start.
Speaker 4: Of course, that it takes to do something like this.
Speaker 7: Well what we say with the juice, well what it is, this is what this way it gets deep for this kind of business. We have a model here like if you see if you come, you see all our recipes on the menu. We tell all our customers get their own juice, to get their own blender. So we make officers drink free. You know, a lot of city where because drink free, buyomen ambulance, depending on you know, the time of the year, what's exactly going on. We do things for the community. So a lot of people what a lot of things in the way we do it to kind of look at as business. Maybe not the wisest for some people, but it's worked and got us full locations.
Speaker 6: So because we have.
Speaker 7: A model in here, like I'm nobody is as important as the cause in the company, nobody like not everybody who works here is as important as everybody, because it's a movement at the end of the day that's meant to reach households and families, that's meant to last longer than all of us, that's meant to go to the.
Speaker 6: Next generation, to the next generation.
Speaker 7: So it's No, it's more so of a movement where we just want people to fail and understand to juice up and get healthy. Even with pharmacy, we say, if you can't buy our products or don't want to buy our product, we have full juice balls. Everybody can't make it here. So we want people to see the menu and understanding about juicing. So a person may not want to do business with us because our motto is we're going to make money, but our job is to take care of our community first, and love is love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're trying to get people to have it as a lifestyle.
Speaker 6: We want you to bring it home. You may you.
Speaker 8: Shouldn't be healthy eating shing to be an option and come from Ohio to be affordable and accessible.
Speaker 7: Oklahoma a whole nother state, a whole nother country is, and you may not be able to ever come back here. But when you hear we want you to gather something, learn something to bring home to your family that will benefits you, not because we're making money off of it, because we're benefiting, because you're benefiting as.
Speaker 6: A human being, just as a spirit is someone alive.
Speaker 7: If your kid's good, his kid's good, and my kid may be in trouble, or his kid may be in trouble.
Speaker 6: If they're around your kid, they may do good. But I think that's what it's about at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: And you can't unlearn the education, you know.
Speaker 8: So once you take and learn the education, you can pay it forward and it becomes you know, continuous.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let me ask you this far artists, was you ever intimidated business? Because I feel like a lot of time people, you know, it's like you might not be fully educated or business or investing stuff like that, and it's like you practice your craft and you become great at your craft, but it's into anything new is intimidating. Like, so, were you ever like intimidating, not like scared, but were you ever like a little nervous or apprehensive about becoming a business man?
Speaker 7: I'm so I think eager, that kind of that kind of skips me. I have a desire and when I see it, I just want to I want to get to it. I have a great wife to when something goes wrong, I get to sweek to her, I get to speak.
Speaker 6: To my homie.
Speaker 7: So intimidation, I would say, I get nervous, I get nervous about things I get. I'm I'm a fidgety, panicky type of dude. Not intimidated though, but I am fidgety. I am a warrior, but I'm also I'm very optimistic. I always feel like I land on my feet and if I did and I wasn't mental, So I try to you know, I try to go with that in my mind because I'm not one to really get to I'm from Youngers, New York and made it rapping, so that took a short mind state from hearing you know before and I'm sure with my two partners as well, before you before you made it. You can't imagine coming up as a youth and telling people you want to rhyme and being from here and nobody ever making it so all you hear is no, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 6: You should do something else. You know how many? How many? If I were to listen to.
Speaker 7: Those thousands and thousands and thousands of no's and find something else to do or make sure you know what I mean, I wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 6: Let me so, I'm not really good with intimidation.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you to it. Let me ask you a hip hop question. I always wondered this around that time you guys came out and you was with you was with bad Boy, but then like right after that, X comes out, but then he's with Roughriders. And then from my understanding, you had a relationship with Rough Friers, actually workship deal out with help work to deal out with bad Boys.
Speaker 6: So they were management.
Speaker 2: Didn't you just go with Rough Riders to begin with that bad Boy?
Speaker 6: They didn't have what they had. They didn't have what they had at the time.
Speaker 7: There was our management, like you know what I mean, It was our management got us to deal with bad Boy. Jimmy Jimmy seeing what they was doing, they was working hard, they got extra leo like you know what I mean. Then seeing what knowing they was our managers and got us to Bad Boys. And then knowing they was working with X and got him a situation led to their situation and in the scope. So it wasn't at the beginning, it wasn't no just b wasn't a situation to be on, like you know what I mean. So I don't regret ever being I think a lot of people think we regret being on Bad Boy.
Speaker 6: Things happened.
Speaker 7: I actually loved that I was on Bad Boy that was would say they wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Chicago a lot to learn from?
Speaker 3: That's that's that's a fair was like, sounds like the Chicago bulls.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you think I mean? Because you know it w wasn't.
Speaker 6: Learning the business.
Speaker 7: I think I think I think a lot of people don't understand we did something. And I think they'll understand this probably when we're dead and gone and really shit down and go holy shit, that's what really happened. We had a standing contract, bro. We had the standard music contract. Our contract was no different from what's the standard what is that what every other artist had coming into the game.
Speaker 6: We didn't have a screwed up more screwed up contract then every other artist that was out at the time.
Speaker 7: We just had the balls and understand it was stupid as fuck and that every business, in any business you do, you always should have the power of renegotiation.
Speaker 6: That's something we understood, like, Okay, you sign a contract, you don't know the contract, but after you perform and you do a certain thing, you should be able to have a certain power of negotiate.
Speaker 7: And I think we just had the balls enough to say that understand and have confidence in ourselves enough to know that. And we was ignorant too, and well, meet, I can't say we, you know, etatistical dealing with emotions at the same time of not knowing something is right, you become you know, I'm I'm a like I said, I'm not intimidated from believing what I believe in.
Speaker 6: So you know, it was more so like nah, in the same right, I'd rather go, you know, but rather not.
Speaker 7: I can't just live with not doing something that I know in my heart, I think that's right, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's the beauty of it. Like we got to watch y'all grow from that.
Speaker 3: It was like, Yo, we heard y'all having with that interview, and then we saw y'all reconcile, and now we see y'all working together still.
Speaker 4: It's like, Yo, that's it.
Speaker 3: Like most times we never get to see those two stages, right, we always see.
Speaker 4: As the flare up. We never see reconciliation.
Speaker 3: We never see like YO, were in the same fight together, which I think is beautiful. So y'all have to go through that so that we could see it and now know, like YO, for sure, every man ahead of the group.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, like, let's do this the right.
Speaker 6: Way for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of these things like you said, I mean, you know, a lack of knowledge young, you don't really have how could you really know? Learn? Learn as you go. But but I feel like artists now it's been like twenty years and a lot of artists are still making the same mistake.
Speaker 6: It's a different game though.
Speaker 7: I can't say they're making the same mistake because the amount of money involved in the way the system that's run, it's a whole different system. Like you know, you know what I mean, So when you're in a well, it's not all the way all the way different, but it's a whole new system. And these artists, you got to think if you're coming from somewhere and you was poor or not not well off, or with no exact right future, and then you see thousands of thousands of dollars a week, or hundreds of thousands or now millions.
Speaker 6: Of a year. This kid, he made one.
Speaker 7: He has emotional stress already, maybe ADHD or whatever, the part of I've always met mixing my letters.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I said it.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right, right, right.
Speaker 7: He may have any you know that, he may come from an environment where his parents didn't teacher right, he may not have had elders in his family that taught him right. So how can you really expect him to do well? Like you know what I mean, you're basing that off comparisons to societies where these kids had families, colleges, things in place, and systems in place for them to succeed.
Speaker 6: So when you give somebody who wasn't meant.
Speaker 7: To succeed just a shitload of money and they happen to succeed where most people don't succeed, they're going to run into some trouble. So whether it's happened to millions of people, it'll continue to happen because that's been a music business, not just rap. That's been music business, Hollywood, sports, entertainment. If you look all around the board, that's happened to a lot of a lot of people that were you know, well often come into.
Speaker 6: A certain thing.
Speaker 7: It depends on who's around you, what you knew, what you learned, and you know, if you have a good foundation, if you don't have a good foundation, and there's a lot of ups and down.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I add ask both of you, really, now do you feel as a shift do like I see that people are coming in, I saw young people coming in. Here are people and more interested now to talk to you about business? Or is it still like hey, yo, can you listen to my song?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Are we still trying to go to the music or people are looking at y'all like yo, they went the entrepreneurial route, like can you be our guidance? Can you be my mental type situation?
Speaker 8: Well, I believe they definitely want to get healthy. That's all we do is talk about well. For me, constant conversations about health and understanding and trying to transition and wanting to just become healthier and understanding more of what we do and more of the products. So I don't even hear rap conversations anymore. Really, it's like they always start with health and they may kind of segue to something else, but they kind of always start with health for the most part, because somebody's always having an issue and they look to us as hood doctors, so they always you know, need some sort of answer or some sort of help, which is cool, you know, so you know, we don't mind, you know. And again it's each one teach one. So if you know them, if you have information and you can give insight you know to people and you know, help them out, you should.
Speaker 6: I definitely much more health questions and health like. No, it's crazy.
Speaker 7: I always I always had a before actually doing this, I always had an order. You know, God, family, hip hop. God's part of the family. So I always said, it's family. Then you know, then hip hop has been the most important to me. Health came filled hip hop slot because there's no hip hop without the health. When you really get the mind standing and you get to understanding or what's really needed. But we have to do That's why I said what we do is bigger than us. It's bigger than this brand because it's actually what the brand stands for.
Speaker 10: But we all pay, you know, the gentleman you've seen here before you came in a shift before that, the people in the other store, what we all do at home, the pharmacy for life because it's meant to go to the next place.
Speaker 7: So the health is bigger because I think the community is starting to grasp that we need to survive, especially with you know, healing with pandemics, plandemics, racism, you know what I mean, systematic racism, you know, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, stomach problems, ailments, you know. I think it's it's a point in time where you have to say survival is key. We about survival, like you know what I mean a lot of people I think health I think hip hop respects survival and it hasn't been broadcasted enough before. I guess are just in the light which we're willing to do to say this healthy shit is not a trend.
Speaker 6: It's not no corny shit. It's survival. It's survival for you and yours. And people get that, especially poor people, especially people.
Speaker 7: Who like whether it's you know, it's not highlighted and it's trendier now like it's getting becoming trendy in a trend, but it's not highlighted and champion when, like, you know, you test it for yourself. Do a post about some healthy shit, see how much reaction you get, and then do a health a post about some clown shit that means nothing, and see see the comparison. So when you understand that, then you really understand the fight, and we understand what we're here for. So we can get miserable and fold up and get frustrated and be like, you know, understand this shit is the most important shit ever because you could love me for my music and my bars may have touched you and got you through some tough times. But the knowledge that juice for life and pharmacy for life you know, you could get from us is priceless and it could last for generations and generations and generations. And we didn't invent this, Like this ain't like we always say juice for life and pharmacy for life because people, you know, this ain't nothing we invented.
Speaker 6: This is champion.
Speaker 4: It's just I mean, you've become y'all really have become the messenger for it.
Speaker 3: And it's not like it's not the avocado toast, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying. And it's kind of similar.
Speaker 8: Well, it's the thing we try to promote balance to like it's like it's it's like we don't want to come off corny and like to dictating. It's more like, you know, we smoke, we we drink, you know, but again, it's about balance and understanding. Acidic diet and your body full of the city is just not good and it's you know, a breeding ground for a disease. So it's just more understanding balance and being happy too. So you have to If it's not making you happy, you probably won't continue to do it. But it will it will for the most part, so you'll find some something in it that pleases you that.
Speaker 5: Will be more of an incentive.
Speaker 7: So you you know, yeah, yeah, I'm just saying, like I was emailed it because people I think healthy people or people who look at health companies or health brands.
Speaker 6: We consider ourselves a health family brand. You know. We're not judgmental though. We just say, hey, do something good for yourself.
Speaker 7: Like we ain't here to judge anything that's going wrong or whatever you're doing in your life.
Speaker 6: We're just saying, hey, do something good for yourself because you deserve it. Not like yo, you got to do this, you got to do that. To the community, you got to do that.
Speaker 7: And now we're here for you. You want to take a ride, you want to feel good about yourself. We got some information that that help us feel good that may work for you.
Speaker 6: Like now we're not fortunate it down your throat are saying hey, you got to do this.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do that?
Speaker 7: We understand what it's like everybody, you know, I'm a tree hugger, but I like fashionable shit, like you know what I mean, I like to have a great time.
Speaker 8: And a lot of things too, you know, are embedded through tradition, tradition, so it takes a long time to kind of like you know, reverse that. So you might not even understand that you're in a certain way because you just are used to custom, you know, with your family.
Speaker 5: So once you even understand that alone, it's like.
Speaker 8: Wait a minute, I've been taking this much sugar in this amount of year or this month or for this whatever.
Speaker 5: It is so.
Speaker 2: Exactly a lot of things that they say is like the hereditary. Is it really hereditary or is it just your diet? It's hereditary, like it exactly exactly. But let me ask you this because it's like, actually, you mean Danie was talking off camp. We interview the young lady out of Atlanta who makes She had a business with you know, like thousands of pounds of food gets thrown away every day, and so she made a business of like feeding the homeless with the food that gets thrown away. So it's what's called a B corp LLC corp, so a b Corp. Is a for profit business for good So I think that that's beautiful because it's like we never apologize about making money. The whole point of businesses to make money. But you're doing it in a in a in a righteous manner. That's like a win win for everybody.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So as far as the business, I see a lot of opportunities as far as scaling, like the online mode. I'm glad that you guys are doing that because especially now during Coroba, I feel like you don't have to have an online business to be successful. But if you don't have an online part of your business, I don't think it's going to be successful because I mean, even if you got the best juice bar in the world's a couple of whose idea was it to go online? And what is your vision for scaling that ramping that up?
Speaker 5: The vision is still how should I say still still? Yeah?
Speaker 6: It's still kind of vision board is not complete.
Speaker 8: Because honestly, we've only been up for about a year and the response has been overwhelming.
Speaker 5: It's been amazing.
Speaker 8: So it's just like we kind of got sat on our ass a little bit and kind of had to figure out what we're going to do because we didn't expect it to be as big as it's got. You know it's gotten, but I mean as of now, we just introduced some new products and again we try to just listen to our customer more and go according to the times like the COVID and so forth, and just you know, really just provide what's needed and filling the gaps. So we're not trying to be super you know, crazed and not again about all the money per se. It's more so about providing and making sure they understand because our community is funny because they really don't mind trying things, but they have to understand it. They really want to understand it first, and which is there's no problem you know with understanding it and res.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day.
Speaker 4: It's like banking with P and C Bank.
Speaker 3: It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Bored since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIIC.
Speaker 4: Earners. What's Up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 4: What matters most Ready.
Speaker 3: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, Backslash, Go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 11: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 12: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery player is everything. Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 11: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 12: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach.
Speaker 5: One more question.
Speaker 11: Play than new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibily must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim and.
Speaker 5: Break it down.
Speaker 8: But you know that's where the selling point comes in because once you believe it, they believe it.
Speaker 5: So it worked.
Speaker 6: I think with that, and I also like it's your point. I think with the young entrepreneurs, you have to do what you believe in.
Speaker 7: Like the main like we a lot of people want to be entrepreneurs are business people. But if you're not doing something you don't believe in, when you hit that rocky road, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: When when? When are you going to be prepared for it?
Speaker 7: Like, because if you don't love it, you may not want to continue to go on, like if you lose a chunk of money doing something, and like you have to be.
Speaker 6: Prepared for the bad as well as the good.
Speaker 7: Like, so you may lose time, you may lose money, you may lose friends, you may lose excitement, you may lose something in your life, and are you prepared to do do that? So you have to make sure it's something you love doing, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: And just to add to that, the online business is also an offering because there's a lot of people that can't get to the Juice Bar and they're always like how I mean they literally take trips.
Speaker 5: We've had school trips that come out to the Juice Bar when you know, yeah, like it's a big public whatever that is. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So with that being said that, the online business, you know, it goes to everyone. It's international. Everyone can get it. Everyone can get at least one or two of our products. Sometimes we just send care packages out depending on people's issues.
Speaker 5: So you know, we just want to make sure.
Speaker 8: That it's available, like the health, the supplements, the understanding, the education is all available you know and accessible for our community.
Speaker 3: So as part of the scaling, like you said, you have the online business, but are you trying to license some of the products and put them into.
Speaker 6: Definitely, Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Mean well that's well, yeah, absolutely, and we're going to get a hub here actually to distribute some products distribution.
Speaker 7: Centeresty definitely not one for somewhere, definitely, definitely not. Sofore we will have you know, we'll be able to distribute, have people come in. Like like you said, the key to I guess what we try to do is live life, stay positive, inform our people and kind of live how we want to live while we're doing it, you know what I mean. The key to being an entrepreneur, like I said earlier, is knowing thyself, like you know what I mean, knowing your knowing your partner, knowing your customer.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 6: Being my wife, we discussed a lot a lot of things as far.
Speaker 7: As business said, where we want to go pretty much all the time. So with you know, it's like saying all right, here, we're doing this with Jesus for life, but where do we want to be? Sometimes you have to this is a weird thing to say, Like she's smarter than me in certain areas. I may be smarter than her in certain areas. Now we have to combine up see who's smarter where and whip up a plan and say, Okay, how does this smart work out for our personal life besides business? For our personal life, how is this gonna work for what we want to do personally? Like where we want to go with what we want to do. Luckily we shared a lot of likenesses. Like I said, in a vision of the final the final end game is the same vision on how to get there may not be the exact same way.
Speaker 6: So now you have to keep pow wowing and keep pow wowing and keep powow know which is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 3: No, No, it is a positive because knowing that he's weak when yeah, like yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: He trying to.
Speaker 7: Definitely to grow so understanding, Like you know, I didn't really have that that idea of how powerful online was, even being a.
Speaker 6: Musician, like you would think I'm the music. I'm the guy in music and the family.
Speaker 7: So here I have her every day telling me what music and with the juice bar, all right, you're not using this tool to get here.
Speaker 6: And I'm telling I don't like this ship, but you got to do this for that.
Speaker 7: So as I'm listening and learning and I'm watching and seeing certain things that she's shown me other things where with hands out and okay, now I see what you're saying. Put the yeah, I see, I see what it is. So, you know, like we had this thing from us having this I think. I think when you in a family business, I guess in the point of thing, you keep building and growing off of each other. So you know, I mean her sharp miss and her with I was able to see it and apply what I.
Speaker 6: Do and the game itself, okay, combined him.
Speaker 5: A lot because his work ethic is crazy.
Speaker 8: So it's like you kind of if you're around him, you're going to step your game up the period. You know, it's one of the reasons why I wrote the book. I wrote a book about you know, our daughter that passed away. But sorry, but yeah, that's because you know, he wrote a book and I was like, well, I want to write a book to you know, so he inspired me.
Speaker 2: So that positive peer pressure, Yeah, yeah, that's real, it's real and successful association. You always say guilty by association. Yeah, but you could be successful positive peer pressure. In fact, nobody wants to be the dumbest kid in classes. Like you know what I'm saying. If you in a room with all geniuses, you want to try to be a genius. The counter is that if you're in a room with everybody that's doing bad, it's going to be difficult to do good. Right, you feel comfortable?
Speaker 6: Facts, that's a thousand percentying, I think.
Speaker 7: I think that's also a part of a reason for our success is we we don't give a shit about that uncomfortable feeling, like you're gonna We're gonna do what we feel is right.
Speaker 6: Like once I speak the hub about it and we speak back and forth.
Speaker 7: Like we both ain't gonna agree to none stupid that just ain't gonna happen, like you know what I.
Speaker 6: Mean, Like unless it's real some personal passionate.
Speaker 7: But we're blind, We're blind. We both ain't agree on none are going to agree on stupid? From being hunging back and forth, it's like you come up with better ideas, you come up with.
Speaker 6: Better ship and things. Part of me for cursing so much with better ideas and you know.
Speaker 7: Better thought patterns and just the better way to move, like you know what I mean, And just to keep pushing forward for your company and what you want to do, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about So? I watched the video on Instagram. I think it was like a Yonkers town hall, but it was about gentrification. You had spoke at the town hall meeting. I think, so we talk about gentification and it's happening all over and I guess you know what's happening here too, and like where we're from, Greenberg, small town, but it's like ninety percent black. And I was driving through today and we saw a Tesla dealership and the testing dealers. Yeah, not just used to be just like a.
Speaker 4: Corner store, right, Leslie.
Speaker 2: So I told you, I said, over man, I said, what's Tesla?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what we said. We looked at each other, we said property taxes.
Speaker 6: Going going on?
Speaker 2: How you feel a about that? Especially, like I said, you spoke about that before.
Speaker 6: I feel it. I feel it's a it's a see this is this.
Speaker 7: Is so much of a long conversation to go in, so I'm gonna try to put it in very short power points. If I can as a as a human being, as just a man.
Speaker 6: I feel it's I feel it's okay.
Speaker 7: If you if the other men and women you're doing it with are looking at you in that way and want to come in and embrace your community and the things that happen in your community and respect what's going on and how it's built. And then it also if it's the people that's in the community are not the ones losing out and losing their property and now financially suffering. But that's how I feel as a man, But now how I feel as a black or brown man, that shit doesn't happen like that. And it's good because I want to see better things in our neighborhoods. I want to see better stores because we need to have whole foods where we live. Our kids need to have an old foods so the kids don't come in. Then our kids don't get to get a whole foods like you know what I mean, and certain things. So it's cool in that note, but we need to make sure that we're eating.
Speaker 6: I think as long as they.
Speaker 7: Make sure that we're getting solid jobs and then the opportunity to make money to move into these places, then then then maybe it's cool. But I worry about the placement. I really worry about the placement. But at the same time, I think the future we're heading to, or we're gonna have to head to, it's gonna have to be a world where people are gonna really have to be honest and figure it out, because I don't think the I don't think that's gonna work.
Speaker 6: With how the racial tension is keeps gathering.
Speaker 7: And keeps gaining and keeps gaining, so it's gonna either neutralize it.
Speaker 6: It's gonna come to a boiling point.
Speaker 7: That's not gonna work for the country, and America is gonna get looked at as an even more horrible place.
Speaker 6: Than it is now.
Speaker 3: It's a crucial time right now, you know what I mean, especially with the pandemic happening. And that's why education is so important and that's why we you know, we take very seriously what we do because it's like we're gonna provide education and give people opportunity. So when you said distribution, the first thing I thought was, Yo, he's about to get jobs to this community more importantly than anything like, Yo, this job's coming.
Speaker 13: That's I mean, that's what the beautiful thing about here is we hire people, get to get jobs here, and we get to get our community good, even for the customers who you got to save a couple of dollars coming to get his use.
Speaker 6: Instead he's spending it on that bull crap and not feeling good.
Speaker 14: I think the key to it at all at the end of the day, because it's hard to look at from a certain standpoint of gentrification and say, what are we going to say that all the kids have black and half white one day?
Speaker 6: Like, at some point in time, this has to stop.
Speaker 7: But it has to stop when we fairly treated though, until we get to fear saying everything is right, then you know, we got to keep fighting and pushing forward.
Speaker 6: Especially you gotta buy black.
Speaker 7: You gotta buy black, Spend black, and that don't mean don't spend white, but by black, spend money your community, spend with your people, support your people, do what you have to do.
Speaker 6: And I think.
Speaker 7: I'm firm on I'm I'm firming because people often you know, like I said, this would be a long conversation.
Speaker 6: This goes since we since you headed there, This goes back to you.
Speaker 7: You you you say you we pick a political party, we shouldn't even have to ask these questions and worry about that issue. If we have political parties that's supposed to be running the country. How is that even a question that me and you and or even somebody white or be you together with white people.
Speaker 4: Have to have?
Speaker 6: What kind of country over here? So why are we running out voting and supporting.
Speaker 7: Whether whichever side it is to say, it's still the same thing. You still worried about gentrification, She's still worried about racism, where you're still worried about systematic racism. I'm still worried about my kids going to school a certain way. We all still worried about walking outside and just getting shot from getting pulled over. Like how really important are we in this country to keep running out and supporting a system that's been set up for us to lose in the first place.
Speaker 6: I look at it like that.
Speaker 7: I look for me, the Constitution is damn near the engine of racism. For me, the Constitution is the engine of racism.
Speaker 3: Like you know what, I mean, we get into that conversation a lot and they're like, yeah, it's not working, and in my mind, I'm like, no, it's working exactly how it was designed exactly.
Speaker 7: So you know, I think to a point where we where we start to say we and I think we'll be able to delegate delegate with gentrification, reparations, racism, systematic racism when you really have could be able to have dialogue on a dialogue on a real skill without all of us and all of them being blind because we have a lot of us that are blind. And I'm not saying for you to voter if you don't see it my way, you're blind. That's not what I'm saying. If you choose the voter, whatever you choose to do, I respect it to each his own. But I feel like we're blind or understanding that has it should be done for her for when it's something going to get done, And I don't think the way that they keep going about it is the way. I just personally don't see that, Like I don't I don't see that change we have this time soon.
Speaker 3: We have this debate all the time, and a lot of people ask me equality, A lot of people ask for equity for what we really should be fighting for is economic empowerment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now, look what you said that there's power, and what you said, a lot of people ask, a lot of people ask what we should be fighting for? How are you gonna you can't ask your oppressor for anything?
Speaker 6: Why do you keep asking? Why do you keep asking the oppressor for something? Are you like? Are you you're oppressed for? He feels like you feel feels a certain way about you.
Speaker 7: That's why you're and you're going to turn it around and go, hey, where's the equality oppressor?
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: Wake up?
Speaker 4: You gotta wake up.
Speaker 3: So that's why that's why I think what you're doing here is vitally important. I think what we're doing and a lot of others are doing, is vitally important because we've created our own right, right Like if you hedd this, we've created something. There's plenty of people out there created.
Speaker 8: It's a real way to feel empowered too, you know, to feel like you're taking some ship back from yourself, knowing that it's designed, the world and the place is designed to kind of screw you up.
Speaker 5: So when you kind of own your health and own your immune system and own your soul and your spirit, your mind, your body's soul, and you know what I mean, and get everything right and harmoniously working. That's you getting empowered and you know, realizing that you can do something different just that, just with that alone, and then you can start to do all that other stuff. But you know, just just a good way to just say, you know, take my power back.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of a lot of times we don't fully understand issues that's going on in our community and speaker under the rug, whether it's health, mental health, and it's mental health, all that stuff, and it's like it doesn't go away if you don't talk about it.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying right back.
Speaker 2: It doesn't really if you if you self medicaid, you take drugs, you drink, you might feel different in the moment, but it's only gonna make it worse because now you've still got the same problem, but now you got all kinds of diseases that you cause yourself from taking these medications. So I wanted to ask you how do because you wrote a book and obviously you know understand the tragedy that you guys suffered, But how is that as far as like writing a book. How did that help you as far as like, you know, being an author and actually putting words on paper.
Speaker 8: Okay, well he's calling me an author. I know, an author is like you literally have written a book. But I don't know, I'm just still with that title. But anyway, because I felt compelled to write, you know, from my trauma, from my tragedy.
Speaker 5: So it wasn't like, you know, I wanted to be a writer, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I just felt like the need to expel and express and again probably save my mental my sanity to a degree, you know, because that was.
Speaker 5: The only way to I guess purge.
Speaker 8: It was cathartic because for me, it was like I couldn't really explain to anyone how I felt, and I didn't think anyone would really understand how I felt other than other parents that have lost you know, children, but it's still hard to articulate so in the moment, so you know, just into grieving and trying to process it. I just was the best thing. And I also thought it would help people as well, you know, just me being open and honest about my experience.
Speaker 4: So I just want to I mean, we're all parents, so we aplog you for your.
Speaker 2: Trials and should issues in life. My brother in law committed suicide, so I understand how that feels. It's just it's it's something that like I said, I mean, you know, I definitely imployed you for speaking on that because it's like it's a lot more people than you might realize, you know what I'm saying. It's like it's like one of those things where it's like you think nobody and then it's like, oh, a lot of people have a similar situation, and it's like I think people find comfort in knowing that they're not alone.
Speaker 8: And then and then again, it was for a lot of things, to be honest with you, not just for myself, not just to help someone, but it was also for my family because when you come from a family, it doesn't like discussing things and talking about certain things. When certain things happen, it kind of is indicative to the how should I say, the the the elephants in the room, you know, or things that we have seen and known about, but nobody kind of discusses and not you know, to for like there was like a lot of ment illness or you know, my daughter had mental illness or whatever. But it's just more so I would say similarities in situations that could have been you know, we could have expressed and had more dialogue about. And that book actually forced dialogue because you know, your family don't like talking about it, especially stuff like that, because it's a reflection of the family, you know, or or possible you know, or one side because she was she wasn't his biological child, so you know, you have the other family that you're dealing with too, so you got to take into consideration a lot of biological stuff.
Speaker 7: But you know, pushing through man and pushing through and she was representing for her daughter at the same time, I think, especially with suicides and like, we're a special family, so we wasn't gonna, you know, let other people's religious beliefs impact how we felt or carrying her memory or because I think a lot of that's where a lot of it becomes a stigma in our community due to the what you hear religiously about.
Speaker 6: It and makes family feel a certain way.
Speaker 7: I think with us, we like especially I've always had and we've always had our own relationship with God, and we went off of that and just you know, and from actually being able to do that, and then we kept seeing signs and just getting other signs in life that show us what we was doing and how we felt was the right thing. So I think it's important to let people, especially in a community, with everything. I think just our whole living in general from is letting people know you're going to always have trials and tribulations, piece of valleys. As much as you want and need love, we're going to have to deal with pain as well.
Speaker 6: So no, you're not alone in the whole journey, like you know what I.
Speaker 7: Mean, Like often and what's crazy will be you know, we'll be in the house is and this is where I learned to pick up on her strength and just understand, like will be in the house and she would be sad. I would be sad, and then you know she would go you know what about the mothers and of people who lost their children who they never see again, like your kids kidnapped and you just don't see him or you like, we started thinking of you know, and the things they go through, and it keeps you like, oh.
Speaker 5: Right, the worst situation is.
Speaker 7: Somebody right now who got an infant snatcher who won't like you know what I mean, and like this, so you have to just keep in mind that we all go through pain and keep pushing and kind of represent for your loved ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember you know the first time I mean speaking of vulnerable, because it was like, listen to you in the nineties, like, yo, that's your favorite rapper's favorite rapper, he's at the hardest bars. And then against the Gentleman album, my favorite song was my Brother And when I heard I just I couldn't stop listening to the song. I'm like, yo, wow, I see another side of them. Yeah, right, like you're talking about Yo, I can smile because I know everybody next to a.
Speaker 7: Little I share the pain, man, I share the pain, enjoy well. I try to let people know about the pain.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's all great artists share. The pain is eminem with his mom, whether it's not with his issues that he's going through with his white things that need I just feel like Tupac, I feel like in order to be a great artist, you have to be vulnerable. Yes, we saw as for for four Yeah exactly, it's part of artistry.
Speaker 3: You're calling me a great artist, No worry like people people say like that we're a journalist.
Speaker 4: I'm still struggling about.
Speaker 7: Is a great artist because she made design cakes for years that people went crazy.
Speaker 5: Over for anyone throwing it.
Speaker 6: And and art the beautiful art cakes.
Speaker 2: Artists objective too, because it's like you don't necessarily have to be an artist to be an artist. You know what I'm saying, you can exactly. I think bron James is an artiste.
Speaker 6: On the Yeah, I saw it definitely.
Speaker 2: That one question before we wrap the marijuana industry, billion dollar industry, we got a chance to interview Al Harrington, good guy.
Speaker 6: I went in. Yeah, I'm getting in.
Speaker 4: That was on his way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get we getting in.
Speaker 2: So so, how did how did you get involved in that?
Speaker 6: I'm just a pothead, bro, I love man. I told you do what you love.
Speaker 4: They got you as the top five most requests songs Wild High, Yeah it is.
Speaker 6: I mean I'm a pothead. I love the feeling. I really feel.
Speaker 7: Part is a big party healing too, and it's got a bad rap for years.
Speaker 6: Like you know what I mean, it has a statement.
Speaker 7: I believe that's because the government did that intentionally with purpose behind it.
Speaker 6: But of course, you know, as far as.
Speaker 7: The marijuana industry, I'm definitely pro Yeah, I'm going to be in there doing We're going to be in there as a family doing what we need to do. Is definitely part of the health industry, something I'm a connoisseur and then expert in.
Speaker 3: So yeah, outside obviously in a different state because New York.
Speaker 7: Now I'm away from New York. I'm gonna do what i gotta do. I'm out out of the state and I'm New.
Speaker 6: York coming here.
Speaker 4: That was part of the game he put us on.
Speaker 3: He was like, yo, it's so he's from Jersey and he was like, yo, to do it in New York is so crazy. Like you got to own a farm for twenty there's so many regulations.
Speaker 6: Somebody own a.
Speaker 4: Farm for twenty I don't know even.
Speaker 2: That's an issue going back to the racial thing. And I actually get down to us where it's like one percent of the marijuana industry.
Speaker 6: Is owned by black Yeah, just it. That's so it's like it you know, you got.
Speaker 2: People, you got to people in federal jail fifteen twenty thirty years from marijuana, and it's like now it's legal, but it's still not. The black entrepreneurs are not able to benefit from it. So it's always an issue.
Speaker 7: That's mean, and then and then that, yeah, damn, took the words right out of my mouth. Take the words right out of my mouth. I think it's gonna come a time where this is what I say, because I don't. I think all they're gonna have to have some kind of intelligent black leader meeting one day and come up with a black leader representative that's gonna deal with everybody else outside of the box that we are grouped.
Speaker 6: I think it shouldn't even be one one.
Speaker 7: I think it should be a group of representatives that's representing black and brown people across the world. That's gonna that's gonna step up and rise because we keep falling into the same trap.
Speaker 6: You're gonna gonna run out. You think Biden is gonna change the.
Speaker 7: Marijuana laws for black people in all of the Interstates or Trump?
Speaker 6: You know, either one of them.
Speaker 7: Do you think that's possible for what happening at all? Do you think either one of them is gonna make sure police are gonna pay if they kill a black citizen?
Speaker 6: Either one? Either one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, But that's interesting.
Speaker 2: But you know what, shout out the nineteen keys. He said something on our podet cast he said, black people have been spoiled with leadership, and it's actually hurt us because it's like there's always been a leader, whether it's Marcus Garvey, whether it's Malcolm X, whether it's Elijah Muhaman, whether it is Martin Luther King, and it's like, you look at other communities, you really can't name a prominent Asian leader.
Speaker 7: You don't have to because they I hear you, and I don't disagree with that, but they didn't have to because they didn't exactly have a systematic racism set up strictly for them, well not as much as black men, not with this country. So that is the difference. Like no one goes around goes back to where Claude Anderson is at. No one goes around shooting Asians and juice. You understand what I'm saying. I think it's an intimidation factor about the black man, which we really that's where the real problem lies. It's a love hate relationship between the black man and a white man that this country has never been really been able to sit down and accept and say in a common common sense way that this is fucking stupid and this is really crazy. Give you common sense this is this sh common sense just we got we never look at yeah, yeah, never look at logical things.
Speaker 6: If I'm lower than you.
Speaker 7: If I'm a human being, right, and I believe you're lower than me, I believe your skin color makes you less than me. You're in theory, I am superior to you. Why the fuck would I put my baby in your hands? Would you ever do that? Would you ever in a million years put your child and someone that you feel is less human than you?
Speaker 2: Yes, because even people, even if slavery, you gotta realize the black women was breastfeeding.
Speaker 6: It again, would do that.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying that they looking at it.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, if they did that, then how could you think I'm lower than you?
Speaker 6: Is what I'm saying. Well, you can't possibly think that. You can't.
Speaker 7: Really, there's no logic in that. Whatever you feel is too low for you.
Speaker 6: You want better for your act.
Speaker 2: What he's gonna say, I'm gonna say, yeah, you felt like a certain levels, certain jobs are beneath you, or you're kind So you have somebody else that you feel us on that level? Do it? And I want to.
Speaker 7: You're going to touch my I think you're less than me. You can put your hands on my child.
Speaker 3: From a logical stand but are we talking about somebody that has logic?
Speaker 2: Racis no logic, if you know what I'm saying. There's no logic and racism conversation.
Speaker 6: So why now I'm gonna get to wise There no logic.
Speaker 3: Because it doesn't make sense because number one, I'm not looking at you as human, right, I'm not even looking at you as a full person.
Speaker 4: Right. I don't want to do that. So you're going to do.
Speaker 7: That, and maybe I know you're superior, and I'm cool with having the advantage, so I don't want things to change that.
Speaker 4: Well, that that goes on for generations, right, you can see that now.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like, look, I'm going to keep you here, and I'm gonna the mindset has been so paying boozed. It's like, Yo, rather than me fearing you, you're fearing me, right for all the things that you've done. But I want to go back to the part about the leaders, right, and we same conversation was like we can't just have one because it's too easy to attack one, right, Like, if I know he's our leader, let's go get him, let's assassinate him, right, but like when Styles is a leader, when Shotty's a leader, when nineteen keys the leader, Wasson, you can't attack them all.
Speaker 4: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's why I think this time is so important because we're seeing it, like this movement here that's starting, and like that's why I said, like, what's happening here is so important. You can't you can't burn this down because it's too many, right, you see what I'm saying, And like that's what's happening. And I feel like I think people can feel it. The powers that be quote unquote can feel it. So it's like, let me hold on toward h Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean it's true because the people will support the people will fight for us, you know at the end of the day. So yeah, it's more of like we we are pillars of the community, but by choice of the people.
Speaker 5: You know, this is where they want us.
Speaker 2: You know. It's white supremacies last sting. Everything has a run.
Speaker 4: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: It's like Custer's last sting. You always put up the biggest fight when you at the end of your run, right, And I feel like this is why supremacy's last stand because it's not just America. You're looking all over the world.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know that's why we got to stop asking for these same systems to be in play, like it has to be Like that's the one thing that drives me crazy, I think more than anything.
Speaker 6: Like I say, I'm not judging what anyone else does. Think about everything that you deal with in your life. Every device from your watch to your clothes, to your car, to papers, to pans, the typewriters.
Speaker 7: Now you could call your car on your phone, will get driven in your car without you driving.
Speaker 6: But they never changed the constitution.
Speaker 7: How How was everything being be invented with the paper that white gentlemen made when they didn't respect black people?
Speaker 6: All women still controls this country, that's what it's based with. How this country is based off of that piece of paper. Its fucking ludicrous.
Speaker 7: We will never be in a position where we need to be as long as we keep just keep accepting everything that we're handed. Even if we're gonna go with the Democratic Party, what are we going to get out of it? You go back to the Republican Party was the original black party. What are we gonna get out of it? Are we gonna finally mean something? And I think that's where we're gonna get at the thing when we mean something, and I think everything will change as for human beings period.
Speaker 4: This is a message.
Speaker 2: Do you really not write rhymes?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Well no, I can tell you the truth. It really doesn't.
Speaker 7: Doesn't When I was young, I'm not writing rhymes.
Speaker 6: Is not out of Let me say that. I want to be clear. It's not a bragadocious thing for me.
Speaker 7: So I don't you know, I really can't write rhymes, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Your brain just it's just too quick moving too.
Speaker 6: I'll be keep writing and keep it racing. And as a young and.
Speaker 7: I always had an off beat on b flow, so I couldn't look at the paper and remember how the rhyme goes. So for me, it's better to remember the man. I couldn't look at the paper and remember the melodie. And I always got minds in my head, so it's better off it's just doing it in my head.
Speaker 6: It's like an essay.
Speaker 7: I always looked at it as a child, as when you do an essay, when I'm just doing my own essays, when you have to memorize an essay or speech in school, I do the same exact thing, but I'm just doing it for myself. Well, it depends how I'm feeling. Sometimes the beat is telling me what to say. Sometimes it's a lot of different things that happen, you know. Sometimes could you just be the ancestors in something like you know what I mean? Sometimes sometimes it's me working hard in my mind.
Speaker 6: I play a lot love. I'm gonna show you how serious sign See this game right here, Oh my god, see what level on more? See the level that level times.
Speaker 7: A high level, bro, I never played the game five five thousand, three hundred and four boards, a thousand words stacks.
Speaker 6: I play with words and keep you know, read.
Speaker 4: That's a fun fact.
Speaker 6: You know, I got it.
Speaker 4: This is it. This is my hip hop question.
Speaker 3: All right Now, I'm not gonna say best group, but I'm gonna say best rhyming duo.
Speaker 4: We had this debate in the group chat.
Speaker 2: We know, we had a serious debate.
Speaker 4: It was like an hour debate.
Speaker 2: It was a serious debate.
Speaker 3: Obviously, yeah, now we well by the fact we said obviously we said.
Speaker 4: You and kiss.
Speaker 6: Well that was the argument.
Speaker 2: The fact.
Speaker 3: The fact though, I'm just saying duo on a song. As ands came up with you doing that.
Speaker 2: Let me let me say my top five ad and I name my son and I see it's on Partial as Ands, ghost Facing, ray Kwon You and kiss. Of course, then we threw in. I had Outcasts, Outcasts a podcast, Mad even though I think I think Havoc was more of a producer than the Prodigy. Was so good. That was so so good.
Speaker 6: That it was that left.
Speaker 2: But that was that, that was fact. That wasn't organic.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I say it was organic because they've been in the studio making music together.
Speaker 6: That was you know, that's I always say, Did you forgot E P. M D the original forefather of it all?
Speaker 4: Paris Smith?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Slick Rick and Dougie headed me in and out.
Speaker 4: We didn't go that far.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I left out m o P. The chemistry is incredible when they go out and they're due on that level and M m o P they they sync.
Speaker 7: This is incredible, is incredible, It's impeccable.
Speaker 4: I'm going, y'all, I mean mad me with biased.
Speaker 7: I'm going, I'm going to stupid m O P. Right was easy and nas I like a did people look at it though? And is a super dope together? Somebody missing it's not coming in my head though, it's was.
Speaker 3: That ever a time when you were kissing, like, yeah, we're gonna do an album because.
Speaker 6: You're in and out.
Speaker 7: We'll give you on in and out e P one of these right next year, right next year, in and out, in and out.
Speaker 2: They're definitely the best in and out situation. I never really heard anybody that.
Speaker 6: I think. I think we are the best in and out far.
Speaker 4: It's the best one. What's the best one? What's your favorite? Ever? Them to kiss and stuff?
Speaker 2: I mean band from TV? Of course, that's classic. We're gonna make it this classic. It's a lot, but Band from TV is my personal favorite because that was just that was just amazing. Everybody on the record, yeah stupid. I'm just saying that that was all my or to pull some lesson a legend. But I'm just saying, on that song.
Speaker 4: Is it the best? If we had to rate them, probably the worst, not the I don't want to say the worst verse.
Speaker 2: I got the words first. But it's all good. I mean, it's not it's not personal. If you had to do a versus battle, who would you battle?
Speaker 6: Anybody?
Speaker 2: Who would you want to battle? Me?
Speaker 6: Personally?
Speaker 4: Or the group you personally, they're.
Speaker 5: Trying to put him with that beans Beanie.
Speaker 2: Siegel one of the greatest rappers. Yeah, definitely Glass you got glad you squashed that situation. That's my favorite. That was. That was a tough That was tough for us because that's his favorite rapper of all time.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I would say kiss one. I was saying kiss one regardless, just because you gotta go with the whole team. You gotta go on the team.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 3: That was the time because we have Rockefeller has and obviously now one four and.
Speaker 4: That was a crazy time.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 4: That was but it was a moment though. I appreciate the moment to us.
Speaker 2: You said that they try to try to tea with Oh, it's as a group. I don't think that anybody can really. I don't know if that's really either. It's kind of weird. I don't know if that you can magine maybe dips that would be good.
Speaker 5: It is fun. It's fun. It's not like.
Speaker 2: Good there it goes, there, it goes ladies.
Speaker 4: Love is love.
Speaker 2: Love is love. We want, we want, we want to thank you guys, really appreciate. What would you like to tell the public any new ventures or how to how to contact your website the different juice location.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pharmacy for Life, that's with an F, the R M A C Y for life.
Speaker 5: And that's online. And we have the four juice.
Speaker 7: Bars, Juices for Life and Juices for Life dot com coming very soon je and why dot com.
Speaker 6: But we got actual Juices for Life dot com. So catch us something. Social media style Instagram.
Speaker 7: Missus styles on Twitter and I am styles p on I G and Twitter. Most of all, if you're listening and you was paying attention, make sure you get a juicer. Make sure you get a blender besides our juice wares anywhere you go. Take pictures of the menus, go on line and see recipes. Incorporate fruits veggies in your life. The season is about to change, not just our products. But make sure you get black seed oil, oil of a regano. We don't sell this, but get andro graphist if you can, get vitamin C, elderberry syrup, zinc. Make sure you run, you sweat, you sleep, you stretch, you pray, be thankful, be cool and keep your health. Attack spread. The word lover is love.
Speaker 6: We love you and.
Speaker 5: Ye and we love you you see.
Speaker 2: I didn't even look at my notes to that I have to preference I got said. We grew up on man. So thank you guys for rocking with us a.
Speaker 6: Young entrepreneurs, follow your dreams.
Speaker 7: Do some you love, study as much as you can, and hang around smarter people.
Speaker 4: Good peace, fease, See y'all next week. I Love is love.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get us seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d KA t z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need