Speaker 1: I really want to do the catch up because I wanted to talk about Beyonce's video.
Speaker 2: Damn it. Well, it's time for the b a q a a a q a, which is said the big a q a man day to be a q b ag q a a looker shirt I'm wearing.
Speaker 1: I saw it. I think I almost said I have it on too. But I got my Renaissance the way that I bought so many Renaissance Tea shirts, the money that this cost me. I wear these every day and I'm like, oh, maybe I shouldn't take care of them, and like whatever, I watched them. I wear them every day. But I love the brown Ambition thank You t shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's available. Why we still have something people want to order?
Speaker 1: Yes we do. Do you know what? Someone I had to refund to be a fan listener because something's wrong with our Shopify account and they did not get their hoodie. So I was very upset on their behalf. I'm gonna send her and it was so sweet because I think it was their partner and they were like, I got my wife a hoodie for her birthday, but it never came, so I just yeah, But anyway, brandnibisionstore dot com. You guys, and I will figure out by the time you hear this episode, I'll figure out what's going on. Okay, So I'm gonna get your swag on.
Speaker 2: And swaggy stuff. Go to Rodibision podcast dot com.
Speaker 1: And if you have issues, just do what this nice person did and just DM and we'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, always we will. We aimed to please, So we're gonna focus on career this EPI.
Speaker 1: Yes very excited. We have some juicy, juicy questions. Let's remind the folks where to go for true to submit their questions. You can hit us up on ig We are at Brandnabishi and podcast. Slide into our dms. We'll get added to them. You'll get added to the mail bag and then each week we kind of pluck out our faves. And I think we must have done like some big calling because there's actually a fair amount of questions, but not like insane. So don't be shy like you legitimately may get your question answered, so send them on in we do business regular finding, your career.
Speaker 2: Entrepreneurship, just life, chat life. So remember this, so we are not your cosin, not your financial advisor. We're not your your Collogi coach. You got to college attorney. So you're gonna take what we say with a small screen of salt as your favorite financial besties online. Okay, yeah, and then you gotta lead this to people that you pay, not us, to your granny, not us. All right, what number of caution? Yes you want to let's do Yeah, we're gonna do twenty eight and twenty nine. We got two juicy questions. M m okay, So I want to start with the first one from Crystal and then we'll go to Kathy. So these are two really juicy questions. First, Crystal is up. She has made a ton of career moves and ended up in a on across country. She's a very cool story, but might be going back home and wants to figure out how to break it to her employer. And then we have a question from Kathy, who wants to know should she take a pay cut to.
Speaker 1: Have a better commute. Hey, be a fan. We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. So these are two incredible questions. We'll start with Crystal. Crystal says, first, I want to say that I found your podcast just a few months ago, and I absolutely love it. I listen every week Monday and Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Speaker 2: Oh throw back Monday.
Speaker 1: How the back? Mondays? My question is. I am thirty years old and I've worked in the finance industry for about seven years. I left my last investment firm due to it being highly stressful and ended up taking some time off because I met my fans, I had a new baby, and I also have a ten year old whose father passed away seven years ago. You have lived a lot of life for a thirty year old. Can I just sidebar? Wow? Okay, she says. I decided to move all the way across the country with my children and took a new position at a new brokerage firm. I really do enjoy my job, and I actually like my manager, and the people that I've worked with have begun to invest in me. With my short time being here, which is now going on a year, well, I have had some major issues in my relationship and I have very minimal support with my childcare since I've been here. I have a huge support system back in my hometown, and I have decided to move back. I do feel guilty because I really like what I do. I know that we can work from home after a year, and we do have some people who work out of state but still belong to their team. I have a big exam coming up for the Securities Industry exam, and this will get me a five K raise plus a bonus. The test is scheduled thirty days before my lease is up. Thirty days before my lease is up. Okay, I want to know how I should approach a conversation with my manager about me moving back to my hometown. I really want to stay with the company and either transfer my job to the firm we have there or work from home. Home. Please help me, ladies. Okay, oh Crystal, listen, best laid plans are often like the best prescription I can provide on paper. Changes. Everything changes when you bring kids into the mix and the support system that you have. And listen, without a doubt, you should go back to where your support system is if that is what you want to do. And I probably would have answered this differently a few years ago, even but now that I have felt what it feels like to not have, you know, like a or I have felt and now I have a support system because I had to you know, befriend them and trap them into liking me and then like you know, showing up and feeding the dog when I'm not there and taking care of the kids and stuff. Anyway, So I know what that feels like. It is so isolating, it is so difficult. And so if you have a one of your sisters who's a single mom right with the two kiddos and so you you know, you're part of her village, it's a huge like literally they are going to live in the house once you move out. So I completely agree, and I honestly think that what you have is a pretty sweet situation in terms of being about to cross countries, so you're not in a position where you need to find a whole new job. And the fact that it sounds like they really like you at the company, they are investing in you. They take care of their employees. You already see some examples of workers who are working remotely or have transferred to other like satellite offices or whatever. Like that all bodes well for you. And I say, you don't make it a big secret. Maybe you want to, you know, go ahead and take the exam and pass it and then like celebrate that and then lay it on them because you still have that thirty days before your lease is up. But I would if your relationship with your manager is good, would I would just trusty that they will say true to you know how the relationship has been so far, which is if they you know, are understanding, they're flexible with you, then just tell them, like, tell them what's going on. You don't have to give details about your relationship, but just say, you know, when I moved out here a year ago, I had a support system and unfortunately, due to circumstances, I have lost my you know, support system, and I have so much love and support on the other on the East Coast or wherever it is that you're from, and start focusing on solutions at that point and say I love work. Just tell them what you've told us, You love working there, you really enjoy you know how supportive them your manager is. You want to make this work as there as such? Is there a world in which they would be okay with you transferring to another firm? And uh, that's the beauty of working for a big corporation. You work for a big financial firms. They have offices in a lot of major cities, so it's you know, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all for you to get a yes and for them to be okay with you moving back to your hometown, especially if like you're willing to show up in that office over there or work from home. I would say what you should be prepared for is that they may be okay with you doing that, but you may not be able to stay on the exact same team, maybe because of the time difference. I don't know, So be flexible. But I think you're in a pretty fantastic situation. And the last thing I'll add is that you have incredible experience. For being only thirty years, you have seven years of experience in the finance industry and babay, I think that you will have no problem, yes, finding another job if that is what it comes down to. But yeah, I mean tif, she sounds like she's in a good situation right now.
Speaker 2: Now, I agree, And there's someone who will be on the other side, Like from the manager slash leadership perspective, if you're excellent, I will move mountains to keep you here and happy. Yes, you know, like I share that all the time and brought to cheered that life. Like, you know, some excellent members of my team were asking for like a raise, but last year was like the hardest year we had. We were made, like, you know, relatively next to no money relative to what we normally make, and so what they were asking for was not crazy, but it's like, there's just not money to pay. And it forced me to get creative. And I created a whole new profit sharing system just to accommodate these employees, because that's how great they were. It was like advise them, Yes, I said, okay, I don't have any money. Here's the money we don't have any one. I was like transparency, here's the money. I want you to see the numbers as I see them. Two, this is what normally I would make as owners draw like, this is how owner's draws work. Three, I will share twenty percent of what I would take home with you. And so it allowed them to say okay, and so as a result of that, they just got their first payom Q one and they were all happy. Q two is they could even better. So they're even happier because then they could do the math. Now they're like, ooh, I see the money we made. I know how much the company costs us to run monthly. This is what's likely to be left over. Tippy's gonna take her eighty is gonna go into the pool, and it's gonna be me, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I just say it's a bonus, like a quarterly bonus.
Speaker 2: That's dope, right, I love that pool party. I'm gonna start calling that like it's a pool party, you know. So I share that to say that if you it sounds like you are an amazing employee and at the end of the day, people want to keep good people.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was just telling it to a friend who's under like, you know, like his boss wanted to talk to him because they're they're kind of like his team he's leading, he's leading a leadership role, a new leadership role, and his team is kind of pushing back because he hasn't quite built trust with them and whatever. And my friend was like, oh, what if they let me go? And I said, ultimately, it sounds like your boss said, one, they're not letting you go, so trust that he's not. And then two, it sounds like they're actually wanting to develop you so that way you bring the team like on board. And the key really though, is that ultimately nobody wants to say yay, I can't wait to look for a new candidate. It's like ordering Uber eats. You know, you ever order your Uber eats that's missing, like you're SMOOTHI or whatever, and you call them, You're like, you didn't put my smoothie and they're like, we'll send your money back, and you're like, if I wanted my money, I would have kept my money. I want my smoothie. Yeah, And so you know, so ultimately people want their people. They don't, you know, like if they wanted, like, you know, their money, they would keep their money. No, they want you girl, you the smoothie.
Speaker 1: I say all that to say, I'm trying to find I'm like following them on this analogy train, but like, I don't hungry, definite.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I didn't eat breakfast or lots, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I just say that where is the reservoir of energy that you are now pulling from?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, honestly, but I say all that to say, then you sound like an amazing employee. People move mountains for amazing employees, and they will find a way, And to Mandy's point, if they don't find a way, you just take your amazing employee self someplace elf. But having a support system is everything, because you cannot be an amazing employee without a support system. And good leadership knows that. And so yeah, good luck to you. We can't wait to hear about them. Say yes, girl, whatever you need or you're finding an even better job someplace else.
Speaker 1: You're a brave, badass lady too. You have been through the loss of the father of your child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sorry.
Speaker 1: You have taken a chance on a new relationship, moved your kids across the country, had a baby, you know, in the last year, Like you have already accomplished so much and overcome so much. I feel like whatever, Like there's you're gonna overcome, you know, and you're gonna get through. And I can't wait to hear what your boss says when you give them the news, Like, well, you know, I'd love a follow up, let us know how it goes. But I think that Crystal, you are in really good shape and you should be damn proud of yourself too, Mama, Like we're gonna take a break and come back.
Speaker 2: Our second question we'll be back in black. Got whatever, and we're back in brown. Our next question is from Kathy, hopefully that we can use your name, Kathy, because you said you shared it with us. If Cathy says high, lovely ladies, I have a work dilemma. I currently have a job at one of the top universities in the country, and my pay reflects that nown but I have to commute up to three hours to get to work Jesus five hours in total. What is what? Or work from home?
Speaker 1: Child?
Speaker 2: I work from I work from home two days a week. Some days I work fourteen hours on campus and then have to drive home two hours. So my health and personal life are taking a told. Oh, I've asked my current job for a moving bonus and or support and staffing. They decline. I might have a full time job blind up ten minutes from where I live, but I would it would be a twenty five percent pay cut and a lower title. What do you think should I take the pay cut and a titled emotion or wait and continue to apply for other positions that are more reflective of my current work experience? Ooh job, Well, I'll just say this and I'll let Mandy lean in with her expertise, I'll say this that I mean, no job is worth the health decline. I know everyone does not have the financial ability to make choices for what's better for their health. So I can acknowledge that some people are just like, oh, girl, is this or I starve? If you have the option beyond it's this or a starve, even if it means this and I have less, like if you're I mean, there are some things that we could do to our bodies that are not as easily repaarable than others. You don't want to put yourself in that position because stress is corrosive. You know. Stress leads to heart attacks, stress leads to strokes, stress leads to high blood pressure. Stress is just it is a corrosive killer, honestly, and so we do not want that for you. So whatever you have to do to still pay your bills, to make sure you eat as well as reduce this level of stress, you know, I just employ you to like make that that that is paramount in this decision. But I'll let Mabie talk to you about the career component. But I just want to put that out there that it is not worth your your health and happiness like no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these two questions, you know, going from Crystal, who I feel like is in such a great position because her job values her and has already shown her in so many ways that they can accommodate you know what she needs. It sucks, Kathy, because you're working at a place that has you've already tried to advocate for yourself and then you've been met with a big fat no. And it being one of the top universities in the country. It's almost like sometimes when you have an institution that has that like has that allure, knows they're hot, is like knows that people would love to have your job. Instead of having banging benefits and being really great to their people, sometimes they can kind of be dicks and just be like, well, you work at this elite institution. You get to benefit from our brand, so put up with like the shitty commune, you know, and the fact that they won't even give you a moving bonus. Here's what I want to say at the bathroom of your question made me think of is that in my Mandy money Maker's coaching community, I have this maker. Oh my god, Isabella just phenomenal. She also works for university, and she was just going through this like wild months long interview process with I think two or three other universities. And not only is she negotiating for her own pay with these universities, she wants a position for her husband as well, who's also a professor. And there's actually universities that will hire a professor and then also place their spouse in a job, especially if they want to recruit someone who lives in a different city. And she got two universities to not just give her a job, but then her husband, her spouse a job. Gives you a kidding she I'm saying, I'm saying, hey, the jackpot and she and then they negotiated her salary and his and I think that her position it's on the ten they're both ten year track positions. Maybe hers is already ten yeared. I don't know the details, but I remember being blown away, and I just I share that anecdote because I want you to know that this is not how it has to be at every university job. And I find that people who work in education, whether it's you know, K through twelve or higher education at universities and colleges, because you are doing it for the kids and you are educating. Sometimes they think that they can take advantage of people who want to do the right thing and they'll do anything for you know, the good of the kids and all of that. So they pay you shit or they give you shitty better and if it's and that similar to how the nonprofit sector gets off gets away with having sometimes crappy pay is because people are like, oh, I can't negotiate it. That's nonprofit. We're here for the good of whatever cause we're supporting. But no, these universities, I don't care if it's a for profit quote unquote or a nonprofit quote unquote. They still make bank They have large endowments. You know, they have so much support from alumni and you know even from you know, the government funding these institutions as well. So I just wanted to say that as an example of this does not have to be the way it is, and you may find a university that does give you what you need, that will pay you your relocation, that will give you, you know, the flexibility that you need so that you don't have such a shitty commute. Okay, So, as far as you know, should you take this pay cut, I totally agree with what Tiffany said when it comes to your mental health. I mean, what could you do with that much more time? And excuse me? Yeah, what could you do with that much more time, that much more energy? And I bet you could put that time and energy into crafting the rest of your career, you know, publishing research that could raise your profile and your feel I don't know what kind of you know, what you exactly teach, or what your area of focuses, but you could do research, write a book, speak, be out there in your space, get noticed by another university you know that could recruit you. And yeah, I think that you need to make the right choice for yourself.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: Like that there's the potential for them to lose a great talent like you, and maybe that will help them see, oh, maybe we shouldn't treat people like shit. Yes, And I also wouldn't be totally surprised if when you do, if you decide to resign and take this other job, you go to them and they're like, oh, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, what do you need to stay? Because we don't we don't want to lose you. So yeah, think of it that way. I mean, you know, their their weakness. Like you're on a school calendar right now, a lot of recruiting, like for example, Isabelle the Baby money Maker, She's doing all these interviews throughout the school year and therefore positions that start in the fall. And like Tiffany said before, as a manager, you lose someone now, so you're gonna already have missed out and all the great candidates because they already have their positions locked in for the fall. So they're going to be putting themselves at a disadvantage not having someone lined up for the fall to teach whatever you're teaching. So I should make them wait, let them know in the summertime. Okay, I'm gonna quit because you guys are not accommodating me, and like show them what happens if you don't show up, and like show your employees that they're valued in that you understand that it sucks to have a five hour commute round trip that is insane. Yeah, that's what I would say.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully Crystal and Kathy that this episode of BAQ it was so helpful. If you have questions friend that need answers. We might not have all the answers, but certainly We're too smart, adorable, beautiful brown girls. That's our best. And you can go to run a Vision Podcast dot com and click like contact us or slide into our dms. Run a Vision podcast on ig and we will accomminate you entrepreneurship, business, career, money and life questions until next week.
Speaker 1: Okay until next week ba fam. We will see you Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Speaker 2: Bye,