Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: I've never really seen crime scene photo. This is suddenly real to me now. The brutality of this murder made me feel like that actually should be the mission of yours now in doing the book as so, can you make him a human being and not like this cliche.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have in investigated, and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. Self made millionaire Lance Herndon was one of Atlanta's elite in nineteen ninety six when he was murdered in his home. Police had a host of suspects, and they soon realized how complicated Lance's life really was. Author Ron Stoggil unravels the story in his book Redbone, Money, Malice, and Murder in Atlanta. This is a very big question. But from the end of the Civil War until when this story takes place, which is nineteen ninety six, what are the changes that happen in Atlanta after the Civil War? Is Atlanta primarily a city with white people or is their diversity, you know, versus where it is today.
Speaker 2: So Atlanta as always, you know it Georgia, you know, was a big slave state and that population has remained. The way it was explained to me back then was that that that like that they had figured out blacks and whites had figured out a way to kind of live next to one another. Like they took a lot of pride during, for instance, the Civil they haven't had many major major riots there since, you know, way way back, and they take pride in that that the business community and the civil rights community had been in kind of a lockstep and avoided costly mistakes to growing that city.
Speaker 3: And so my impression is.
Speaker 2: That there was a thriving black middle class during that time all the way even through you know, from emancipation through Jim Crow, you know, but there was a lot of clergy, a lot of educators. You amassed that power structure, and it manifested in a first black mayor, which would have been Maynor Jackson, you know, and it was upun you know, during his watch that now you see this real thriving black community because he was able to use his perch, you know, in government to steer dollars towards black citizens and at the airport, you know, and the construction of it is kind of symbolic of that.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit about Lance. You've told me a little bit about what you had called the nuvoreche kind of these people who who have very affluent jobs and are now gaining a lot of power in the community. Tell me how Lance fits into all of this. Tell me more about him.
Speaker 2: I mean, I thought that Lance was a creature of that time.
Speaker 3: You know, he was born in New York.
Speaker 2: He had at this sort of computer tech background. So he was moving into Atlanta as Atlanta was starting to flourish, and so he was able to get government contracts and wheel and deal in a city that is populated by black movers and shakers. But he did it with another kind of you know, East Coast flair, and that I would say intersected with the kind of Hollywood, black Hollywood that Atlanta has become today, you know, with the Tyler Perry studios and the music presence.
Speaker 3: It is kind of the Black Mecca.
Speaker 2: Was He kind of positioned himself to be a prince of that, you know. In the book, I kind of call him like a Gatsby figure. He threw great parties, he knew everyone. That's the public part of Lance.
Speaker 1: So the assumption I have, and tell me if I'm wrong, is he is intelligent, charming, good looking, popular with women. Is any of that inaccurate about Lance?
Speaker 3: No, that's probably all an understatement to be.
Speaker 1: A Gatsby figure in Atlanta, I think those are all probably requirements. What else is there about him, though, that you found to be intriguing or unique? That has nothing to do with the crime, but just sort of what is it about him that you think it was intriguing to other people too?
Speaker 3: He was known as a very generous guy.
Speaker 2: She was very very well liked by a lot of people because he listened. You know, this is what I You know, maybe as a reporter, I'm fascinated. I was fascinated by that, But you know, he was the kind of person that if he met you that he would sort of find out your daughter or son's interest and you know, and drop a gift by there, you know what I mean that, Yeah, there's some tickets to a theater or a game or that kind of very thoughtful person, you know. And and and you could say he was opportunistic and machiavellian, you know, but very well liked the man about town, you know. And I think in a city of strivers and climbers, there was a lot of currency in that.
Speaker 1: You said he came from New York. Was he close to his family? Were they still in New York or did anybody fall on them down to Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Well, his mom moved there with him to Atlanta, you know, and his dad and mom had.
Speaker 3: Split years ago.
Speaker 2: So he was raised by a single mother, being the son of a single mother who was very strict and she worked like a lot of jobs, and she would leave all of these posted notes around the apartment that would kind of guide him through his day because he was a latchkey kid, and that fundamentally kind of became his work ethic and his style of management because he did to talk to his employees as much as leave tapes, you know, the night before, so that they would come in and have their marching orders.
Speaker 3: He just felt like that.
Speaker 2: Was if I'm talking to you during the day, then I'm wasting time and money.
Speaker 1: His mother must have just been over the moon when he became so successful and successful enough I'm assuming to support her and bring her down to Atlanta. I mean, that's a lot about their relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean she lived down the street, you know, and she was very much the matriarch, you know, she worried about him, you know. But my impression is that they were very very close and saw one another daily.
Speaker 1: Had he ever been he's forty one when he dies, had he ever been married or had kids or what was his general before we get into some of the heavier stuff here, what was his general approach to relationships from the time that he was, you know, dating age up until he ends up dying.
Speaker 2: He couldn't keep a marriage, you know, he'd been married a couple of times. I think infidelity was the issue, but he had he didn't have kids prior he had kids with this this third wife, Jeanine Price, a woman from Kansas City, and he'd met her. It's kind of a cool story really, Like, you know, he traveled a lot. He had gone to Brazil and there's that statue, there is the Christ, you know, and he apparently was just there taking pictures and just being a tourist. She also was there because she was a flight attendant, like a corporate flight attendant though, and so yeah, they locked eyes at the bott at the foot of this you know, statue, and it like they were the only African American people in the crowd.
Speaker 3: They spoke the same language.
Speaker 1: Divine intervention then, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was just like, this must be the man for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we need to get to the crime that happens and how it all becomes discovered. Let's just talk about what led to his depth. Where does it make sense for you to start, you know, toward that event.
Speaker 2: Well, Kate, you're just you know, you're brilliant because your timing couldn't be better. It's the you know, we just finished up the Olympics in Paris, you know, and so Lance was killed. As you can imagine, they found his body on that like they did the closing ceremonies on Sunday, right, and they found him on Monday, morning, very very early, right during the Atlanta Olympics, you know, and so this is a time in which a city puts itself on display.
Speaker 3: He had enjoyed a lot.
Speaker 2: Of those festivities, you know, as you can imagine, he had tickets to everything, and so he spent a lot of time. And then they found him one morning on that Monday morning, bludgeoned to death in his mansion. They found him in bed. You know, his skull was cracked open, and he was nude, and there was blood spatter.
Speaker 4: On the wall behind him and on the headboard, and could you could kind of see that these descending blows they were about I don't know, twelve or something like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was clear that it was like some kind of crime of passion. At least that's what that, you know, automatically, because they were just like, wow, you know, this this whatever object, this blunt force object, just descending down and you could see the spatter on the walls. There were some carpet and prints, shoe and prints.
Speaker 1: So who was the last person and to see him alive, which I assume would have been closing ceremonies the night before, on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: It would have been one of his office workers.
Speaker 2: He had an event coming up that he was sponsoring, and so one of his employees and he had had to had an affair with her years prior, all off and on one right exactly. That became kind of a big thing because it was such a forensics driven case and he was such a womanizer, right that when you look like all of this DNA in his room and stuff, how do you connect it to anyone?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: You know, he has a big inner circle, right, you know when they're when the police are looking, they're looking tight first, and he's exposed to a lot besides the people he's exposed to through business. Then he's got all of these women around him. And then he goes to nightclubs, so there are people who know him who he's not even sleeping with, and so that's a big that's a big inner circle to deal with.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So he has an employee who he's had an often on again affair with, but he goes home by himself. It sounds like, is that right that night, that Sunday night.
Speaker 2: He does, except then he calls one of this woman that he's had been having an affair with, Okay, and she does come come by I will tell you he was such a cliche in a way because he was a black man who really only liked these fair skinned women, you know, and so entitling the book he loved black women like with European features, and so like there's this slang around that down South. It's like a colloquialism, and they call these kinds of women redbones, like fair skinned black women, and so that, yes, a Southern slang, and so that is the title of the book.
Speaker 3: That's it grows from that because that's all he liked.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, and it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of offensive, Like nobody really wants wants to be called a redbone, by the way.
Speaker 1: So let's just think of this as an investigator's point of view. Who do the police get a phone call from Monday morning upon the discovery of this body? What alerts them to begin with?
Speaker 3: So, as I mentioned, you know, like so he had his office at his home.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a pretty big home in his but they were blocked off from working upstairs. But the whole downstairs kind of basement suite was like he had a few employees in there.
Speaker 3: Like four employees, you know.
Speaker 2: So that morning, his habit, his ritual was that, you know, as an employee, you would arrive to tape instructions and those tapes were not there that morning, and that automatically set off some alarms. So of course, the first phone call they make is to mom, and Mom lives down the street. So Mom comes over there like, hey, I don't know, maybe is sleeping really late or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's been doing all this Olympic stuff, hanging out every night. And so she goes upstairs and then there's this blood curdling scream and she's like, my baby, my baby. She calls nine one one and they try to kind of talk her down a little bit, and that's how they were alerted.
Speaker 1: And now I was thinking of suspects. I was thinking, Okay, if this is an employee, you know it was either a crime of passion or not an employee, because you would have known, well, if you're going to murder your boss, do it like Friday night, because this won't be discovered for a couple of days. But that's just me thinking about it. Okay. So Mom calls the police, and the police show up, and I'm assuming they are shocked because this is a beautiful house and a wonderful neighborhood, an effluent man who has a business.
Speaker 2: They could see he was a bachelor though, because by then his lovely wife had moved out Jane so had taken a lot of the furniture, and he was just kind of there. Let's just say that it was minimalism by then.
Speaker 1: You know, I've gotten used to asking this question on this show. Do we have competent police on this case or not?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's a good question, you know, and even these days, I think that question becomes more and more complex. But the impression that I get from my reporting is that they don't. These kind of cases didn't happen that often in Roswell.
Speaker 1: This is Roswell Police who are responding, not Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is Roswell police.
Speaker 2: So they may have been a little over there, like this was a little over their head maybe, but you know, I mean committed for sure. Detective Nostalgio, we spent time together. That was the main guy handling it. I think that like people question maybe how he went about things, but I thought he was fairly.
Speaker 1: But you didn't get the impression that race was going to play a role in this investigation, like it doesn't so many other investigations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that there was a novelty factor. They knew it was going to be this because this guy was all attached all the way up to the district attorney Paul Howard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know Fannie willis the woman that ended up prosecuting Donald Trump. Yes, she succeeded maybe Paul Howard, like the guy, yeah something.
Speaker 3: You know that's the same office. Yeah, that's where he wound up.
Speaker 1: I did not know Lance was politically connected in that way. I guess I assumed it was just business. So did he have friends in politics? Also?
Speaker 3: Very much so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean, you know, he had a had he kind of the impression I got was that he had everybody on kind of speed dials.
Speaker 1: You know, how long had he been here before this happened? How many years?
Speaker 3: I want to say, a couple of decades?
Speaker 1: Is sha oh? Okay, okay, he is in trench than in this community. Okay. So the police show up and then you have Detective Anastasio. Is that how you say his name?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he reports to the scene and they find what I had read was he it seemed like he had been smacked in the back of the head and stunned, and then everything else seemed to be like really serious facial injuries. And as you were saying, just you know, more than a dozen blows to the front of his face, did he have defensive wounds as far as you know, or was this.
Speaker 2: No, that's what they figured that he was ambushed, that he must have been like that he was awakened, and then it just came crashing those blows came crashing down before he could even react. What they also found was he was covered up when that you know, his face. I think they took like a sheet and covered them up, as you know, as they moved about the room, and like, I think they cleaned themselves up and I had to cover up a few things, and you know, but that sense from investigators was like they couldn't stand the kind of look at their work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not covering up your crime. I mean, they know he's going to be discovered. So yeah, that's that's interesting. Okay, let me ask you a series of questions. Anything taken, I mean, I know Janine took it sounds like everything, but I mean it was anything of value taken?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think anything was taken.
Speaker 2: I think what was clear though he had bedside one of his women, you know, photograph of her in like a little you know.
Speaker 3: Nightgown, and it was it was face down.
Speaker 2: That picture was face down, So that was another thing like why, you know, was it jealousy?
Speaker 3: Like why is this photo face down?
Speaker 2: And actually just to give you a sense of the time too, and kind of maybe a slight creep factor, you might it was in a waterbed. Oh no, right, which meant like that you couldn't really kept his body consistent like that rigor mortis didn't set in, so they couldn't come up with that time of death.
Speaker 1: And the employee, the woman who he had been sleeping with, off and on, did she give a time when she if she was the last person besides the killer who saw him and she wasn't the killer. Did she say it was like early evening when she left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she said she went over there and she borrowed a computer or something. It really like the way it played out, it was all circumstantial, by the way.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, because I don't know this time period security systems in ninety six and cameras, was that happening.
Speaker 3: No, No, they weren't.
Speaker 2: I mean not at Roswell, not at the lands Herndon home. They didn't pull any of that out. Now it's a good question. I mean, we wouldn't. I wouldn't have had to write a book.
Speaker 1: No weapons, he didn't have a gun or anything for protection.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, and they never discovered like what the weapon was. So I'm going to pause here and just say, I'm working at Time magazine in New York City and I hear about this story, and I hear about it from my dad, who was a court TV watcher, you know, and at that time, the women were testifying in Lance Herndon's behalf, and my dad was shocked because this was years later and a lot of the women had married and moved on, but they had come back.
Speaker 3: And so that was like, well, who was liked so much? Who is this guy?
Speaker 2: So I just parachute in and I wanted to see whether there was a book in this, a story in this then, you know, and I met up in this early investor first investigation, called the assistant DA Clinton.
Speaker 3: Rucker, who's a lawyer, and he had gotten that case. You know. I talked him into meeting with me.
Speaker 2: He had moved on, and I mean I had been there two or three days looking through documents, and he was not meeting with me. And then finally he called me and said, hey, you know, of course you know meet me.
Speaker 3: And we met in his office.
Speaker 2: He said this, he said, huh, have you ever seen the crime scene photos? And I said no, and he said hold on, and I'd never really seen crime scene photos and he just kind of were these polaroids and he just dropped them on the desk in front of me.
Speaker 3: I felt nothing but shame at the moment.
Speaker 2: Like it was like I felt like, Okay, this is suddenly real to me now, like this is more than just some dramatic or it titillating murder thing like this he didn't even have, Like the way he died, the way, like the brutality of this murder made me feel like that actually should be the mission of yours now in doing the book, is so can you make him a human being and not like this cliche and tell the story about how this story really in the end is how a person, a black man in the South, who's a transplant, who has the world at his fingertips, seemingly how he would die like just some street dude on the corner like that, Like how do how do those worlds?
Speaker 3: Those emotions? You know?
Speaker 2: And if I could answer those questions like and show it, then I would have a book that I could be proud of.
Speaker 1: Wow. I mean I have often said True crime is an excellent vehicle for telling these kinds of stories, not for the violence entertainment part of it, but just like what do we learn about ourselves, about our societies, about whatever it is? You know that we really can sort of open up a portal to be able to look into a world, whatever that world is that we are not familiar with. That's why I love True crime. Let's get back to Lance's case. So Crime of Passion. So what is the first thing now that detective Anastasio decides to do. Of course, interview people, starting with the employees and his mom and trying to figure out who in his life might have been targeting him.
Speaker 2: Right, So, and I can't remember what the insurance amount was, but of course the ex wife would have been the first suspect. So they talked to her, Janine Herndon, and they had a kid together. She was dating again, so that proved that one because she was at her alibi.
Speaker 3: Was I think she was with her new boyfriend.
Speaker 2: And then they went to the main woman, Kathy Collins, and that was the woman who was kind of his the arm candy and is that he would go out on the town with, and whose whose photograph was next to his bedside, and she had clothing and you know, and and she had things at his house, okay. And then they had Talana Mitchell, that long time employee.
Speaker 3: And confidant and lover.
Speaker 2: And then is the most recent woman that he was dating, and that would have been Dion ba.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you about each of these women. Kathy, the woman in the photograph who he was parading around town, did she want more from him that he was willing to give? What did they establish about their relationship?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, she kind of became a caricature early on because of how she reacted, you know. And she reacted like, Okay, while my sugar daddy has just you know, it's gone, but I've got things in the house.
Speaker 3: How can I get in there?
Speaker 2: She had some bottles of wine, you know, but now it's a crime scene. So she's very frustrated. So then, you know, and that frustrated the police, the investigators that she would even want to push her way through around that. It was always kind of about Kathy, right, And then you had Dion, his most recent lover, you know, and you couldn't really get a sense she was hysterical, but they almost felt like crocodile tears on some level, right, So that made him curious. Talana though, had seen him the night before, right, and was really nervous, and her ex boyfriend had been in trouble, and she kind of had a little bit of street in her anyway, So she showed up with a lawyer, you know, because she was terrified.
Speaker 1: Innocent people call attorneys, they do, that's the smart thing to do, calling it. I was so my students at call an attorney, yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, and that said that they wondered why she needed an attorney. So these were these were the various women.
Speaker 1: What was Tilana's reaction? Since it sounds like if he is emotionally invested in anyone, it's probably her because they've been together off and on for years, right, and they work together. And you said that she was as confident, so she should be the one who has I would think the most authentic reaction to this man's murder.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, Kate, that's a really good point.
Speaker 2: You know, Like when I was doing my research, it wasn't easy to get to people Black. True crime wasn't a thing. It's still not a thing. It's still you know. And so here I am poking around and people are like.
Speaker 3: Why are you?
Speaker 2: Like why what is the point? And that you're going to make them look even worse. Then you know, the trial already made him look and you're gonna like the family now has got to relive this, you know, and you know all of that. But you know it was gonna happen because I was down there and I was going to try to do a dignity though. Yeah, you know, I mean, And so I ended up getting them to talk sparingly, different people at different times over a course of about three years. Solana was the one that I knew I needed to get to. I never stopped trying, and she left. She'd left Atlanta, Georgia. She was married and living in Colorado. She was a soccer mom by then in Denver, and so I went out there, though you know, I flew, I got hold of her.
Speaker 3: At one point she just agreed I met me.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was a gesture of offering to just come out.
Speaker 3: It meant that much. I checked into a hotel, you know, and we.
Speaker 2: Spent like two days, and I learned a lot about Lance, you know, and he became more empathetic. And she, the way she described him, was all of that was kind of an act that actually he was a show off, but you know, it was all power to him. Like he wasn't great. He loved to be in bed, but you know, with women, but he wasn't great in bed and with you know what I mean. And you know, but he was a frightened little guy, insecure. But she had come from a small town in North Carolina and migrated to Atlanta, and she was, you know, attractive and younger and a little naive and he was very worldly, and so he kind of took her under his wing, and she tolerated a lot of like just say, his peculiar kinds of ways he liked to live, you know, and and and she participated though by the way, you know, that's she did, you know, and I got it, you know, there's no other way to put it.
Speaker 3: But you know, she was carousing too with him.
Speaker 1: You have the challenge that I often have to, which is you have an unsympathetic in some ways, an unsympathetic victim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like that's what it is, you know, that's what separates nonfiction from fiction. You know, Like I would have done this all over again, but there's a story need, like when you're doing fiction and you have a choice, like you're going to make a hero a hero, you know, and this is a book really without many heroes in it.
Speaker 3: Everyone is so flawed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Even Clint Rucker.
Speaker 2: Who you know is a fantastic prosecutor, he's not without flaws in this book. And I don't even know how he pulled it off, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get to why all of this happened. So you've got, you know, Detective Anastasio, who has a list of women that he has to deal with, and it sounds like he crossed Janine off the list. Is that right? She had an alibi? Is that what she told me?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: And Kathy had an alibi?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah she did too. She was actually flying back in she wasn't even in town. And it's funny she actually was dating someone by then, too, Like I think she was cheating on them. I thought it was starting to be over right. This is the thing of I mean, I'm saying, like there's an overall story, a message around kind of this new class and the compass that you may have expected that would have grown out of the civil rights movement and that anchor right there. But how a drift you know, you were, and how it was predicted likes by like these black thinkers like W. E. B.
Speaker 3: Du Bois, who had like you know, who had his.
Speaker 2: Thoughts about materialism and about kind of mimicking white values in society, you know, and what that was going to do. And so it really to me Atlanta was at that point in time a reflection of that.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about this investigation. There are forensic clues and there are suspects. How do we end up with the suspect? Who we end up with? What does Detective Anastasio end up doing to be able to make an arrest? Because there was an arrest, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it took him so long and I can't even it took him a very very long time to make an arrest. They had a suspect in Dion Ball, so Lance was coming up on this forty first birthday party and that was going to be a big big deal because it's Lance, you know, I mean it's fortieth birthday party. I think he was in Cape Town and he had rented like this stretch Mercedes and they paraded around town with you know.
Speaker 3: But that's the kind of dude he was like.
Speaker 2: He also ingratiated himself with a group of like business people, like by taking his him out on a lunch on a submarine.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I talked to one of the guys and he said, look, I got this invitation. The jet was like waiting and they were gonna just we were going down to Florida, you know, and we went right down there and we just got on this submarine you know, and we like right and he said, like I come from a military family.
Speaker 3: Oh, and he said, you know it was a white guy. He was like, like, I like that gift. He said.
Speaker 2: I was like he was said it was amazing. He said, I will love Lance Herndon forever.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, I mean I and I think we go back to the flawed character. Everybody's flawed some more than others. You finding those sorts of stories really I think will drive the book in that you want to get to the end to find the justice. So with the investigation, we really start to focus on Dion, who is, as you described her, his latest girlfriend. Tell me what you know about Dion since she becomes the main focal point at this point. What do we know about her?
Speaker 2: A native of Kingston, Jamaica, married to a guy who was from kind of a very affluent family.
Speaker 3: Then they got married and moved to Atlanta and they had a daughter. He was struggling, though.
Speaker 2: I got the sense, you know that he was a job as like a pilot. He would go back and forth between the island and Florida.
Speaker 3: They were living in Miami.
Speaker 2: And then somehow she ended up coming to school and moving to Atlanta, and he came with her for a minute, but mostly it was a commuting relationship.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: She ended up working at Marta in the public transportation in what is it Metro Atlanta, a rail transit authority or something. Her boss was a friend of Lance Herndon's, So when Lance sent his invites for this birthday party, she intercepted it because she was his admin and knew that Lance was hot stuff and decided she was just going to piggyback that invitation and go to Lance's forty first birthday party and that's where he met her and he was smitten.
Speaker 1: How long ago was that from his death? What was the time period?
Speaker 3: I would say, like four or five months.
Speaker 1: Not smitten enough to dump Kathy Collins obviously, I mean no, but.
Speaker 2: He ended up two times and rite exactly. And that is what really got to Dion, like she was not. But Dion started to reveal over through her jealousy kind of this when she started realized that she was being played, you know, even though she was married. By the way, I mean, this gets more and more confusing. I know, don't ask me. I'm just the reporter in this.
Speaker 1: But she it sounds like she was in love with him right and she thought there would be a future.
Speaker 2: But he'd also was you know. It was a kind of a sugar daddy too. He got her a Mercedes. I think he helped her get a house through this kind of mentoring relationship. This is how she explained her relationship with Lance to her husband, that Lance was a business mentor. During those times in which her husband would come to Atlanta and she had to explain the house or the car.
Speaker 1: What does Dion say about that night? Does she say, yeah, I came to the house, we had sex.
Speaker 3: I don't even think she said we had sex.
Speaker 2: I think she just said I went over there, I got the computer, and then I had to and then I came on back. Okay, but it didn't have the case on it. The computer protective case and another computer had gone back and forth between those homes because he loaned that computer to her a few times because she was a student.
Speaker 3: But again, Lance Hernon.
Speaker 2: Was super particular, so he never let that case go. I mean again, he was a dude that would eat like his barbecue ribs with like a fork. He didn't because he didn't want the sauce and his nail beds, right, I mean, he.
Speaker 3: Did everything on a dime.
Speaker 2: He was just military tight, and so that computer at her home without the case just didn't add up.
Speaker 1: That's the victimology part of it, figuring out what's important to your victim and what doesn't make sense it's so important. Okay, So they are collecting physical evidence, including what I remember being hairs and stuffed under his nail bed to see what kind of DNA is under there, and it turns out that they find hairs they think they can match to her. Right, was it a pubic care Do you remember that? Yes, but they were having sex, and who's to say when that hair produced itself and they don't know, right, And the same thing with under his nails. She could have said, yeah, we had six a couple of nights ago. That's why he has my DNA under his nails.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So they go over there immediately a nostalgia. They go over there and you know, and knock on the door the first time, and then she's not home, like, she doesn't answer, and then I think they come back, and the neighbor recognizes them, you know, and says, hey, like you know, she's in there now or something, and she comes out and she falls into their arms and acts like, okay, you know, she distraught, but not a tear really, And so that was a little weird.
Speaker 3: But they didn't have anything.
Speaker 1: So what does Detective Anstossio think happen? I mean, just if he is trying Pine and Sky trying to figure out what the argument was about, it seemed clear right that there was some sort of an argument. She admitted that she had been there. There was some kind of an argument. I'm assuming over cheating, maybe over Kathy. So what does he hide that photo of Kathy every time Dion comes over? I mean, it's right there, you know, these days it'd be on his cell phone and it would be you know.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. So one day, I mean, she starts to Dion is feeling pretty comfortable early on in this budding romance because she's over there, she's studying, you know, and I think that they're going to dinner and taking trips and it's feeling pretty good. And so one day she shows up unannounced and she sees Kathy like walk by and Lance didn't let her in the house. You know, she sees Kathy like in a pajamas or something, just kind of walk by.
Speaker 3: She's livid.
Speaker 2: She screams and says, let me in the house, Let me in the house, and Lens is like, I'm not letting you in the house. And then Lance ends up having to call the cops on her, and the police show up and she kind of fights them too, no, and when they show up, they she can't find her at first because she's hiding. She's in her own car on the floor, hiding. So it's starting to get nuts right around then, so they end up having to.
Speaker 1: Arrest her for what trespassing.
Speaker 3: I don't think he even opened the door.
Speaker 2: I think he just thought, like, there's a lunatic outside my house, you know, and I'm not going to open it.
Speaker 3: And so that is the story he went with. So when it was.
Speaker 2: Time for court and this is it, you know, he had softened his relationship and said, look, honey, I'm sorry, I'm going to come. I'll make an appearance and we'll get this thing dropped. The theory is that they make love that night, as you mentioned, and then she goes downstairs while he's sleeping and goes onto his computer to look at his calendar. That court date was supposed to be that next day or something, and you know, and Lance his notes really detailed always he had scheduled stuff out for three years in advance.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's how organized Lance. Herning was.
Speaker 2: That appearance wasn't on the calendar that he was planning on helping.
Speaker 1: Her, So she was going to show up and maybe get arrested or something.
Speaker 2: Who knows, right, So that's apparently what sets her off. And she goes upstairs while he's sleeping, and you know, and then there's this theory and again we don't know what this murder weapon was, but Lance turned and the guess is really good clip Rucker prosecution stuff. You know that during all of this time he had ordered an exercise machine Oka and arrived in a big box and it was kind of a StairMaster or something, and that Lance was gonna like.
Speaker 3: Put it together, you know, and he had a crescent wrench.
Speaker 2: So suddenly, even though they never find the murder weapon, it's consistent with this crescent wrench that apparently Lance had. The question is like LANs just doesn't even seem like the type of person that would ever like build his own staremaster anyway, you know. But yeah, I mean the housekeeper said that she had consistently like they continue to bring her. So did you see the crescent ridge that day? Yes, I did, sir, Like they put something together.
Speaker 1: So how does Dion explain all of this when she goes to trial. Is she just saying, listen, I don't know I left him and we didn't even have Saxon. That was the end of it. Or does she take then she take the stand at all?
Speaker 2: No, she didn't take the step. You know, it was mostly that he just yes, she did. She never took the stand. The first trial there was some leading the witnesses. It compromised the trial, and then the second time there was a hung jury. And then by the third trial, so many people had died, so many things had happened, so much had moved on that like, she just pled guilty and I think she ended up with ten years.
Speaker 1: Wonder what the original charge was, if it was like manslaughter or second degree murder or something like that. Yeah, it was manslaughter, Okay, manslaughter because they said it was an act of passion and not premeditated. I'm assuming, well, okay, so they didn't think it was a she found out she well, I guess she knew already that he had been cheating on her and she kind of forgave it, and so it must have been something different, and so that they think, and she never admitted that, right.
Speaker 2: Well, he started kind of pulling away, you know, and that freaked her out, and apparently she became more aggressive and more I will not be denied.
Speaker 1: So she ends up being well, no, she's not convicted, she's she takes a plea bargain and how long did she serve her she's still in prison.
Speaker 3: No, she's out now, Wow.
Speaker 1: Husband divorced her. I gotta assume yeah, okay, any idea what she's doing now?
Speaker 3: No, I'm wondered. You know.
Speaker 2: It was like so she was interesting too, because I'm into this book. I've talked to as many people as I can talk to.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm having a hard time, but I.
Speaker 2: Continue to try to write letters to her to see whether I can talk to her.
Speaker 3: In prison in prison, and it's not happening. Every time. I'm like, and I'm putting the best letters.
Speaker 2: I mean, I spent some time writing these letters, and they would just come back rejected. And so one day I'm sitting at the office and I get a call from a guy named Charles middle Stat and Charles Middlestead had been retained by He was an investigator himself, but the defense investigator. And so he said, look, I've been retained. I've got to like, I've got no time to prepare for trial, and I need some help, like, and I understand you've been on this thing for two three years.
Speaker 3: Can you like talk to me and just get me up to speed on this case?
Speaker 2: And I say, well, yeah, I don't know, like can you get me Dion?
Speaker 3: And he says, well, let me call.
Speaker 2: You back, and and you know, and I'm thinking, I just want Dion, because like, how can I do this book?
Speaker 3: How do am I like? You know what I mean? Like she's a live Like what am I like? It's just a hole.
Speaker 2: He calls me back and he says, yeah, He's like, but I'm gonna have to be in the room, you know, and that and it comes with all of these rules.
Speaker 3: But I just took what I could get.
Speaker 2: So he flies New York and I talked to Charles like we developed kind of a little buddy like friendship kind of around that, you know, because I help him out. And then I fly to Atlanta on different weekend. Then we go to the Fulham County jail and she's sitting there, you know, and when I walk in, she's kind of got a little smirk. And I didn't know what to wear that day, but I decided to wear a suit, not a not a tie, but just a suit. So when I walk in there, she says, oh, you look different than your photograph and you look important.
Speaker 3: She said that.
Speaker 2: Before I sent her a picture, I was just different, different appeals and stuff. So I would send her a casual picture like I'm a guy, I'm a regular guy, just you know, and that thing didn't fly.
Speaker 3: I should have had a smoking jacket on and a pipe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the appearances thing.
Speaker 2: That's kind of her character. Man, it's like she's a little haughty.
Speaker 1: Well you should have thought about that, ron because look who she was attracted to exactly.
Speaker 3: It made perfect sense.
Speaker 1: So what was she like? I mean, did you find her to be some manipulative? Was it shocking to you once you got to know her that she would have beaten this man to death? That's really what we have to get back to.
Speaker 3: You know. And I say this with all like and I'm not being coy or cute. It's hard to be that surprised by much.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, you're in the orbit of a lot of people who like are kind of different from.
Speaker 3: Lance to everybody around them.
Speaker 2: So like you're talking about like a select a group, a little culture where there's in order to protect whatever they have, there's a desperation that I think could.
Speaker 3: Like lead to violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that if you want to protect something bad enough, you'd be surprised at who's capable. I mean, I definitely felt like this personal pride.
Speaker 3: Like, how dare you? I'm not going to be used by you?
Speaker 1: But what did she want from you? Wasn't she in the middle of appeals when you were doing that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she wanted nothing from me.
Speaker 2: She was just doing that as like because her the lawyer told her to. I got a half hour out of it, and that was it. And I made it like and it became a device, you know, I made it my prologue and my epilogue. I just split the moment up and I think, like bookends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to have those. And we don't know where she is now. And what do you think if we think now about Lance, what do we think The legacy is not the right word he You know, he had founded a company, he had been a boss, he had influence. He obviously contributed to the culture of Atlanta and to this upper echelon of the community that was still building itself. So where do you think his story belongs? I know, cautionary tale is what I bet you're thinking. But at a deeper level, this is someone who accomplished a lot and look at what flipping happened to him. How much more could Lance have accomplished had this not happened, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that there's a model now for what modern success looks like for African Americans in Atlanta, and you can see it in the culture now. It's fully, fully evolved into that which is kind of like it's got this glitzy, glamy Southern Hollywood, Southern Hollywood.
Speaker 3: And I think he ushered in that era. He was the first sighting.
Speaker 1: But he was also the kind of the victim of what a lot of people would say success and hubris and arrogance and all of that stuff. I mean, not to say he's blame for this, Yeah, I mean, I think it's an interesting story to fit into the history of the city and particularly the history of the black community in this city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and then it affirms that other thing now that we've talked about, which is like people are kind of people. So you end up with this kind of like it's the same story you're going to find in Cape.
Speaker 3: Cod or anywhere in the world. You know, when it comes to power.
Speaker 2: And money and greed and hubrisk, we're all vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean, I feel like I've said this before, murder is centered on human emotions which don't change. The reason people kill now is the same reason they killed in the fourteen hundred and fifteen hundreds thirty seven. Ady, I mean, it's all the same. It's the things that are based on that's fear, anger, which is part of fear usually envy, you know, and just sort of like self preservation to a certain extent. So I think Lance falls into that. Like I said, there's no amount of money that could protect him from a crescent wrench. It sounds like an angry woman just.
Speaker 3: To speak to your cautionary tale.
Speaker 2: In the end, he was kind of in that courtroom alone, so to speak, the spirit of Lance, because guess what, none of those powerful friends, none of them wanted to be anywhere near that hot mess that he had created.
Speaker 3: Okay, all of this.
Speaker 2: This affection that he was getting from the city was gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the women showed up for him. You said they did.
Speaker 3: They really did.
Speaker 2: And there's something redemptive about Lance turning through that because they made themselves look cheap by telling those stories, even in another era. But to get that truth out, you know, they were willing to take that hit.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlock and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast, Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis a Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis heath is our composer, artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked Words Pod