Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbo call that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State is that whoo whoom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me as always over there in sunny New York City. My man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I wore a short sleeve shirt to the office today. Ty, WHOA, that's a big step. It's huge, It's huge. I'm feeling great, oh, Ty it's it's two weeks of spring that's all it is. That's all we have. But springball is over and we have a new concept today.
Speaker 1: We do have a new concept what we're gonna do. Okay, So we've been doing this thing once a month where we do question and answered. We solicit questions from the verbaler hood. You send him in via email at soliverbal at gmail dot com or Twitter at soliverbal of course is the handle Facebook, Reddit, you name it the whole nine yards correct. But you know, sometimes we tend to get so caught up in what others are asking that we don't just have an opportunity to talk amongst ourselves, to really have a dialogue among friends, which I think is why a lot of people like to listen to this show. Am I right?
Speaker 2: We're giving the verballer sphere a week off, given the verballer sphere a week off, actually two weeks off, if we're going to feel about curtain a little bit more. But you've got some questions for me, some burning questions that you've been meaning to ask me for god knows how long now, I don't know how long you've been repressed in this state.
Speaker 1: But before us, we've got a list of questions that you pondered up this week that I think you'd like to throw my direction. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always have these questions for you, and I always forget to ask them, or there are just ways that I look at the sport in kind of a dumb way. But I like to bounce things off of you. So this is the dan Q and a week, and then next week will be the tai Q and a week, and then maybe after that we'll do some sort of drafts debriefing from a college level and process level. If that makes sense. Is that okay? That sounds delightful. Yes, Oh, I'm so glad we're on the same page. There hasn't been a ton of news. Is there any news? Did you wanted to discuss anything? I mean, we talked about Daniel Jones, right.
Speaker 1: We talked about Daniel Jones, all right, now what I wanted to talk about actually, and we don't have to spend too much time on this, but Tommy Stevens we did not have time to discuss on this show because of the draft and all sorts of other stuff going on. Tommy Stevens deciding that he wants to transfer out of Penn State.
Speaker 2: This is the post spring transfer. Oh, I'm not definitely starting transfer window.
Speaker 1: That is precisely what's going on. But Tommy Stevens, long thought to be perhaps the runner for the starting quarterback job up at Penn State, has a side. He's not gonna roll the dice in State College with Sean Clifford's a guy for star recruit.
Speaker 2: Is that who it's gonna be?
Speaker 1: For sure? It seems like he would be the air apparent at this point. Okay, Shan Clifford, A lot of folks were pretty high in Shan Clifford was apparently not a slam dunk that Tommy Stevens is going to get that job, So now he is keeping his options open. He's looking elsewhere. Kentucky is a school I saw popping up, Mississippi State, maybe reuniting with Joe moorehead. Don't know if either of those make a ton of sense, but hopefully it works out for him because certainly he put in his time in state college hoping to get that job and has some injuries. So yeah, we'll see. That's really the only notable thing from my end.
Speaker 2: Dabo Sweeney is everywhere. I think he threw out the first pitch in Milwaukee today, was at the Raptors game last night as we record this on a Wednesday, just playing some pickup on the court.
Speaker 1: Also, Dabo Sweeney may have purchased all of the Azores.
Speaker 2: He's doing well, doing well for himself. Actually, I'm going to use Dabbo to get into our first dan Q and a Q. He's had himself a good week though, even.
Speaker 1: That, he's had a very good week. Do I have do I play the email sound?
Speaker 2: What is that? We discussed this over g chat. It's close enough. Congratulations Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail.
Speaker 1: On the solid verbal. So again, as often as we can, we like to pay homa to the people who write in. It's oliverbogmail dot Com, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, you name it all. Friendster, okay, Cupid, plenty of fit. I don't know, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Rod Christian Mingle, Yeah, Farmers only all of the above. But have you ever heard of Riya Riya riya u r a ya No. I think it's a very exclusive dating app for famous people and influencers and you have to get really pre approved. It's like quadruple factor checking. Okay, and neither one of us were invited when we were single, So.
Speaker 1: Not on that one.
Speaker 2: If even we can't, you know how exclusive it must be. So maybe we're on Riot, but we wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: All right, where are we going first? And what is your first burning question for me?
Speaker 2: Okay, so first burning question is we now know that Dabo Sweeney is slash will be the richest coach in football ten years, ninety three million dollars if everything hits kind of thing in college football. But who is who do you as college football's most valuable, not richest, most valuable Power five coach, which basically to me, means which eight plus win team. Yeah, about that could most easily backslide because of geography, school commitment, the conference therein whatever into consistently a not bowl team if they were to leave and be replaced by the most average college football coach. Also, who's the most average college football active Power five college football coach?
Speaker 1: The most average Power five college football coach is something that we did discuss on g chat and how would you interpret that by we? We can't bring that up momentarily. I don't want to bury the lead though. Let me, okay, try to answer that question.
Speaker 2: Who is the most valuable who gives their team three to four wins because of how well they hire and strategize and raise money and recruit and adjust and interact with their players keep their players from transferring to that kind of thing. Who do you think over time is that value?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, two names that jump off the page at me, okay, I think the best answer is Kyle Whittingham at Utah. He has that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: There's a good talent in Youutah.
Speaker 1: About Yeah, third longest tenure in FBS, behind the immortal Kirk Farence and Gary Patterson. He is one hundred and twenty and sixty one overall at Utah and most importantly eleven in two in bowl games. So he is a guy who we joke about it every year, but Utah finds a way to win eight or nine games and don't ever see it coming. But by and large he's going to do that.
Speaker 2: So Mountain West school that makes the leap and seems to become even more consistent, though they're not winning eleven a year like they were at the end of the Mountain West tenure.
Speaker 1: Correct, So Whittingham is is I think choice A. Choice B might be Pat Fitzgerald. He's an interesting selection here, kind of in the same vein as isilewaing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. I mean, there is much more institutional support now than when he showed up, and he's a large reason why.
Speaker 1: You could very much make a case that if it's not Pat Fitzgerald coaching at Northwestern, they backslide into being a non bowl team and then the final one, even though he doesn't quite have the tenure of the previous two. Matt Campbell at Iowa's great answer, Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He's got to eight wins if he's not at Iowa State, Iowa States, not going five hundred.
Speaker 2: If we were on family feud right now and I were standing next to you, I had good answer, good answer, Good. They really do encourage you to do that, I would add David Shaw. I thought about Shaw. There is something so maddeningly consistent about what he's done at Stanford, where the down years are eight nine wins, and even though Harbob before him had equal, if not greater success and was the one to pull them out, we know the depths of Stanford. We know the challenge of putting together a roster of eighty five players who meet academic requirements. They're not. They have to recruit nationally. You know, We've seen David shago all over the country Virginia, Georgia, Texas to get these enormously successful players, developed them into NFL players. Deal with the fact that a lot of times he can't seek commitments while everybody else can because they're waiting for grades. A lot of these guys are are borderline to get into the school, and so I think that kind of thing could cause panic. And the fact that David Shaw has not only kept up the success but has just secured an unbelievable program for Stanford is I think he's right there in terms of value.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about him relative to Harball. Harbaugh came in and built that program or at least laid the foundation for that program from the ground up since David Shaw took over because of those academic requirements, that added layer of complexity at Stanford. I don't want to say that he's been elitist. I don't mean that he is definitely those steered into a vague elitism that comes along.
Speaker 2: With their academic Ted talk. Yeah that, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Done the ted talk. He is steered into that quality of Stanford football and Stanford as a whole at has actually been quite impressive. He is not at all shied away from some of their institutional requirements, and you could make a real strong case for him making that program better because of it.
Speaker 2: And think about all of the top flight assistants that you know have you know, Mike Sandford and Derek Mason have gone on to be head coaches or top coordin at Lance Anderson, guys that have gone on to success that he has replaced with. I mean, I think Tavita Pritchard is their new offensive coordinator so he trusts a younger generation. There's a lot to love about how he's kept them not just afloat, but but thriving. Even Derek Mason is in that conversation that Vanderbilt is a consistent bowl team. I know, playing for non conference games sort of bolster a lot of these value coaches. Mark Stoops, I think has to be because of where we've seen Kentucky. You know the depths they fell to with Joker Phillips.
Speaker 1: If Kentucky's not in the SEC, he's probably turning in a better win loss record.
Speaker 2: I would probably submit Mike Leach and Washington State has had a pretty good history of relative success. But we do know that it's easy for Wazoo with an underwhelming hire, let alone an average higher for things to go wrong if everything else in the Pac twelve is pretty competitive. So the fact that he has them at eight nine wins, I think, all right, that's crazy impressive. So I think that's where the value is.
Speaker 1: A lot of valuable coaches. Now onto more pressing matters. Yes, college football's most average coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, how do you interpret that statement?
Speaker 1: You need to consistently feel the team that is good enough to maybe pull an upset but also bad enough to lose to a team that you never really.
Speaker 2: Should Right, there's a certain degree of competence that like, yes, there are definitely strings of disappointing games, but at the same time you show flashes, we're like, oh, well, somebody in this or organization, probably him, at times, knows what they're doing, right, And so I don't necessarily think they have to be a five hundred coach because sometimes schools like Derek Mason has done a pretty good job at Vanderbilt and they're kind of at five hundred, and that's fine for Vanderbilt. I don't think that makes some average.
Speaker 1: No, the record does not make an average coach. But a record that's around average with the other prerequisites, right, is a cherry on top.
Speaker 2: So, like, would you say Jeff Brahm is an average coach? I think he's above average.
Speaker 1: He's above a coach, and he's above ever run around five hundred these past couple of years. Okay, So what I'm looking at here is a coach who has had some big moments mixed in over the last four seasons.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But there was also a quarterback situation about two years ago which was not one of those bright spots at all. Yeah, and definitely gave us cause for pause our celebrity charity. Yep. This gentleman is twenty twenty eight and twenty four in four seasons. He has two eight and five records, as well as two five and seven records, Okay, his last two seasons. I think we came to a unanimous agreement that college football's absolute average coach absolute average is Pat Nardozy at Pitt.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. I think it's Pat Nardoozi NARDUTSI.
Speaker 1: Every coach, if we are going to argue on the scale of average or not average, needs to be graded against Pat Nardoozi, at least in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: I think it's the louder. The exhale is before a fan reacts to the question, how how is your coach? So, if you ask a Pitt fan, a random array of Pit fans, what do you guys think of Nardoozi, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they they start with a. I mean, he's all right. I think there's that exhale. The other coach that I think is in that category of meeting expectations thirty seven percent of the time. I think it's Kevin Someone. Okay, I think Kevin Someone. He was the proto bram In that oh my god, look what he's doing right away, and oh are we going to lose him? And then he just sort of settled into underachieving but not completely like they would always go eight in five. Right, that's not a disaster. No matter where you are, that's not a disaster. Even if Alabama started going eight and five, that's not Okay, maybe at Albata, but at text A and M going eight and five is not, you know, an emergency, right, So I understand getting tired of it moving on and there are other issues obviously, but I think a patent ardoozi Kevin Someone. I don't know why I keep thinking about Purdue and Jeff Brom. I guess because Kevin Someone went there. Is there anybody else to you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is Will must Champ? He might be an average coach.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He might be a very average coach, like he did touch his surface at Florida Way where they win the secs, they get to a kind of big bowl game. All right, I'm trying to is there who's the most average PAC twelve coach? Is it Clay Hilton.
Speaker 1: It's probably got to be Clay Hilton.
Speaker 2: He's underwhelmed, he's overachieved, he's recruited all you know, to be expected with the USC replacement level. Yeah, I think it's Clay Helton. And the funny thing about both Helton and Nardoozi, they're both in my Hudson News all stars of You would never recognize them if they were buying mints and an issue of variety in a Hudson News.
Speaker 1: You would never recognize Clay Heilton without a hat on. No, Oh my god, no, he could have Harry could have a mohawk. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ty, you're a Notre Dame fan and I guess a lesser extent Penn State fan. And the reasons that you you are Notre Dame in a Notre Dame fan and a Penn State fan. You were born in the Northeast Ish, I guess do consider the Allentown area northeast.
Speaker 1: This is the northeast.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, you're born in the northeast. Family's Catholic. You attended the college in your state, the state college, and so therefore you have Notre Dame and Penn State loyalty, your family. You were born into a Notre Dame family, and thus you were fans of these teams. You didn't really choose, You chose to go along with it, that's right. But if you had an open choice, and I was inspired by I have some friends who went to medical school and they do like the matching program. Are you familiar with this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, So basically, if an app existed, an objective app on your phone, a computer, whatever, and it took into account a program's general esthetic, the existing fan stereotypes, fair or not, and everything about your personality as a college and just as a human. What school do you think the program would match you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Like, wow, who are your people? Because if we're talking stereotypes, there's it's it's you're not old, you're not sort of tired in the Notre Dame stereotype. E.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we're getting there, but no, you're getting there.
Speaker 2: You're not. You don't you're not dripping in tradition with everything you do. No, you don't complain that things are not traditional enough. And with Penn State, there's an aggression there that I don't think you would habit stereotypically, So in your mind, who's your match?
Speaker 1: This is an excellent question. Thank you when you when you sent this one to me. This was one of those one of those deals where I sat back in my chair and was like whoa, Oh okay. I went back through the rolodex. I pulled out my Myers Briggs personality type results, just to really get a good gauge on what options we're looking at here. My Myers Briggs personality type is e NTP. Now, if you're not familiar with Meyers, not at all. It's it's a personality test. There have been articles written about it. It may or may not be accurate. Chances are it's not, but the answers it gives are at least intriguing. It's a source of much debate, but good conversation. E NTP says that I am an extrovert. Surprise, surprise, that makes sense, that relies on intuition. I think instead of sense, and I perceive instead of judge.
Speaker 2: You're more mellow, yeap more mellow.
Speaker 1: Here is what according to our friends over at ZIP recruiter, the best careers for me would be okay.
Speaker 2: So you're going to try to as an empt or whatever you are you're going to try to match the I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Try to man it at the college football program, right all right? So number one it says I would be good at being a stockbroker. M let's talk to you. I have picked some winners in my day, Okay, other ones on here. An engineer, a lawyer, an operations manager okay, a relationship manager, a film producer, a PR specialist, and a training manager. Those are my eight careers, according to ZIP recruiter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that you're a Big ten school. I would say that you are. I would put you as like a Michigan man. Probably.
Speaker 1: I was thinking Ohio State, Michigan is probably.
Speaker 2: Now I think I think you're much more Michigan. There's something that there's something that is kind of urban about Michigan. I think that's the answer for you. How about I think I'm a natural Colorado buffalo Colorado one hundred percent for you. I think I'm a natural Colorado Buffalo where I'm more laid back by there is something that is inherently like when I think about Michael Dyer's arm that I you know, Colorado in glory days and you know, trying to sort of stay stay optimistic, but also get stay in the past a little bit, and I think Colorado outdoorsy, still pretty mellow. I think I'm a natural Colorado Buffalo.
Speaker 1: I will go along with that. You've said that for a long time too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, okay, Next question, ty Oh, I like this one a lot. What are the best examples of a coach having a you know what this this? Ain't it sort of about face when he ditches his preferred way of playing, where it's like, this is this is how I like to do things, but it's clearly not working. Let's make this shift, is it? Because I love when that happens.
Speaker 1: Isn't this your entire hot take to a much greater degree about what's going to go on with Chip Kelly and UCLA after this season?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's partially on field, partially off, partially off field, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some degree, right, you're you're you're kind of going I think this to the extreme. With Chip Kelly, you think I.
Speaker 2: Think that might be more about his recruiting, like his his strategy behind the scenes. I think needs to be evolving, and I don't think it has yet. I trust him, just implicitly without with regard to getting things done on the field. So okay, I think so. My answer would probably be like Gary Patterson, right, and the shifts that he made on offense, especially when things weren't working a little bit into their Big twelve tenure. After they did have a ton of success, success with Justin foh And and going to the Rose Bowl, winning the Rose Bowl and when he went to Sonny Comby and Doug Meatchum, I thought that was huge. Willie Taggert sort of tagger wrapping the Yeah, the harball West Coast offense at South Florida and going to the Gulf Coast thing that worked really well. Marlon Mack was tearing everybody up, by the way.
Speaker 1: Will mush Champs seeing the light was one of our fantasy selections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they definitely improved on offense this past year.
Speaker 1: I think Will mush Champ is another name.
Speaker 2: He hired some duds early at Florida. Oh biguh. The Kurt Roper and Charlie Weiss not great.
Speaker 1: Dabo Sweeney sort of did this right out of the shoot before he was even a head coach. Yeah, and now he gets paid more than Davy Crockett. There's value in being self aware. If you can pull this off. It also kind of feels like Gus Malshan is executing an inverted version that was.
Speaker 2: E gonna say this is it, so let's change it.
Speaker 1: It feels like he is going in the opposite direction in deciding to take over the play calling duties for this coming year.
Speaker 2: Kiring Kevin Steele. I thought was great. Oh yeah, it was just offensively correct. Okay, some names there, interesting discussion. Yes, by all means any of these questions. By the way, if you have an answer, please submit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit us up.
Speaker 2: All right. I like this question a lot because this is sort of evergreen. So because we're always gonna have conversation about conference strength quote unquote strength. It's that's just a reality. So do you tie? Do you prefer the season long product of a conference with a clear top heavy hierarchy, so like two or four teams that are clearly above and beyond everybody else, and that everybody else is a mix of competent, incompetent, terrible sometimes okay, whatever, but you have your you have your ruling class, or do you like that wide open? Everybody's competent, everybody's pretty good. You know, teams aren't go to shoot themselves in the foot. You know there's talent, you know there's quarterback play, you know there's organization on defense. But you're never going to have the energy and hype of Oh wow. In two weeks we have Lsubama, Oh my god, Florida State, Clemson, Oh boy, here comes Michigan, Ohio State, oh Man, usc Oregon. Which do you prefer. Do you like having that isolated hype and the energy that comes with those games of the century of the universe, or do you want wild West? Whatever happens happens. Oh boy, I'm seeing something on the ESPN bottom line that I did not expect. North Carolina is beating up on whoever Florida State got to get there. Didn't expect that.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting about this, Dan?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You can make a really good case that the ACC is both The.
Speaker 2: ACC is everything, the ACC is an annual buffet. The ACC really is both of these wrapped into one. Well you're really asking me, though, is if I prefer the PAC twelve or any conference that isn't the PAC twelve. Well, I not this iteration of the PAC twelve. I don't know who the hierarchy is. Washington's Okay, issue.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm saying there is no hierarchy.
Speaker 2: Rick, but I would argue there's not top to bottom confidence.
Speaker 1: That is also a fair point. I'm going with the top tier that keeps things interesting. Okay, I don't care so much if the only thing on the line is a birth to the Holiday Bowl, and I love the Holiday Bowl. You want stakes, I want stakes. I want the Game of the century, right, I want a little bit more flavor to the games that I'm watching. I'm coming at this from the perspective of I'm sure like many college football fans who listen to this show, my team is Notre Dame mm hm. My team also Team B if you want to call it. That's Penn State.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: The overwhelming majority of the games that I'm watching on a college football Saturday feature neither. So you got to give me a reason to watch. I've got the built in reason of the podcast. But if I'm not watching from the podcast perspective, if I just want to be a fan, I want a reason to watch that game. Why am I sitting aside three or four hours? You got to give me some meaning here, so correct give me option A two to four teams clearly head and shoulders above the rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had was it twenty seventeen, twenty sixteen, The Big Ten did a really good job of having interesting, really good teams. The top that would have been what Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State. Michigan had a down year a couple of years ago, but Wisconsin had a what were they twelve and one? Thirteen and one. Northwestern finished with ten wins, so there was at least that element at the top. Though week to week you still had a terrible Rutgers Maryland. I think Indiana was not great, Illinois was awful, and so that I think you need a higher floor than what the Big ten did a couple of years ago. I think I liked the wild Wild West thing. As my interest in the national championship, I need more than Holiday Bowl stakes. Although Ty, don't be smirched the Holiday Bowl. The Holiday Bowl rules. It's outstanding. You get to go to San Diego in late December.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's good. It's good.
Speaker 2: During bowl season, does the stadium randomly get flooded?
Speaker 1: Yes? Possibly sometimes it can sometimes happen. Yeah, I love it during bowl season. During the regular season, it is not the crown jewel I am interested in.
Speaker 2: I think I used to have an old bit on one of the video things that I used to do, like the minor key cart the road to the road to the minikey car Cairbowl, and you don't want that. You don't want that. But where the SEC has been recently I think is interesting with in terms of at the top could potentially beat everybody, maybe outside of Alabama with the Mississippi school Mississippi schools rising up, with Georgia and Florida and you know, Kentucky coming up into a really fun place at least defensively, I think they've gotten to a pretty decent place where the bottom hasn't been awful awful Outside of Arkansas, I don't think the SEC has had the a Kansas Rutgers, Oregon State, Illinois situation in the same way. So I at least like that the ACC is in a bad place right now? Would you agree? Not at the top? But well no, I think they're in a bad place at the top.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got Clemson, Dan.
Speaker 2: They've got Clemson. But that's I didn't say one good team right well, I said I want two, three, four.
Speaker 1: Dare I say Florida State is going to be Florida State before we.
Speaker 2: Would dare to say that, because that's a dumb thing to say.
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: Who who right now are you? If you are taking out a red pen a red SHARPI you're like, I can't wait for Clemson and blahbaty blah. Who is your blobberdy blah.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Miami maybe eventually eventually, uh, Virginia Tech, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You can't write maybe eventually on the side now I know because I am not seeing that, like I like that. Clemson's going to carry it home. So that's that's a light pencil circle this year. But right now, I think the ACC is in a bad place.
Speaker 1: All right, Hot takes.
Speaker 2: Tie. I host a podcast called sports Wars. I need some sports wars in the ACC. Where are we going next? Next question? Let's stay in that general region. So last year South Carolina went through the middle part of their schedule, so like late September or October, early November, whatever. There were five games there. They played, not the best, not the worst teams on their schedule. So this was not early season dumping. This was not Clemson late, who actually played pretty well against and each of those games on average was decided by a field goal something like three point one or three point two points. And we used to refer to them as or we did refer to them as they were like the most competitive team. They were in so many games late we were like, well, they're not going away and they're not really good enough to put away these teams that are pretty good. So they're just competitive. And these were decent enough teams Missouri and Florida, teams like that. So this year when you look ahead and I think by the way the net point per drive scored and allowed like netted out to like point oh two, it worked out really really well in South Carolina. So when you look at the twenty nineteen season, who strikes you? And this, I guess is in the same vein as the most average coach, But who is the team that they're They're pretty good, They're just not pretty or good, They're just they're aggressively competent and competitive.
Speaker 1: I think the answer is Iowa.
Speaker 2: They're going to be in every game. We've got really strong line in coming back on both sides. Okay, Nate Stanley.
Speaker 1: Lose two tight ends, but Nate Stanley I love, we love. I think the answer is Iowa here.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. I think it's Northwestern. I think that we both went Big ten. Yeah, we're going Big ten. I think Missouri is an interesting answer. Yeah, I think they're especially they gave Georgia trouble last year. It was a game at halftime. I don't know of anybody that I would take right now. Cal's a half team, and I don't like taking a half team. Like their defense is going to keep them in it, but their offense is going to sort of keep them out of a bunch of games. They were too lopsided last year. They'd win a game fifteen to ten, but then they'd lose a game like thirty seven to seven. So I'm not down with Cal there in the Big twelve. I think man Iowa States had some blowouts, but I think they have gotten to a point where it's going to be hard to comfortably beat Iowa State. We saw Oklahoma struggle these past couple of years, going one and one. Last Keen Butler had his way with some some Oklahoma dbs. So I think Iowa State's a pretty good answer there. That they're just aggressively competent, which like we mentioned earlier step in the perfect direction for the Clones. I think it's, by the wayate the Nate Stanley thing. I'm going to load a list up right now. But I was talking about this with our pal Andy Staples before we did the SI Live half night party thing that we did before the or during the first round. Who is twenty twenty Daniel Jones? Who is the quarterback? Why do you keep bringing up Daniel Jones?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: I know you are you? Are you still a Giants fan?
Speaker 1: Barely?
Speaker 2: Okay? Who is the twenty twenty quarterback that college fans will look at as like that guy.
Speaker 1: Him?
Speaker 2: Who is that guy?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I'll give you you know who? Andy's answer was, who Felipe Franks? Oh man, that's a good, big arm, great physical tools, athletic. I think Nate Stanley's on the list, man, you know who? I think somebody could talk themselves into because I love Jake from I've liked them since day one, right, I think people are going Jacob easonon.
Speaker 1: Eason's one that jumps out at me.
Speaker 2: He jumps out at like he's going to make some wow throws if he wins the starting job.
Speaker 1: He's a starter.
Speaker 2: He'll make some crazy throws and he'll finish seventh. He'll be the seventh or eighth most efficient PAC twelfth quarterback. And somebody's gonna talk themselves into Jacobson because the measurables Nate Stanley I think is that conversation. I think he's pretty good. I just wouldn't take him in the first round.
Speaker 1: I guess right now if I'm picking Jake Eason is interesting to me. Oh, man, I need no time with this one, though.
Speaker 2: Well, Brian Lawurki looking at his efficiency metrics from twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Man, you can't. You can't shine twenty eighteen, though.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jones was there for a long time and had a lot of duds and went number six. All right, next question me, the next question. Okay, ooh, this one's pretty good. Let's say you're a shady. I don't think you'll ever get to this point, but let's say you're a sort of shady in the shadows. Super wealthy fan Okay, yeah, okay, not a booster officially, but you're no stranger to facilitating under the table payments.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I like blue chip recruits. Yeah, you're a bag man. I like sorts and let's say for the point of this exercise, all things are pretty even in terms of what your team needs. So aside from quarterback, if you and yours are giving yourself a budget of eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars one point two million, four hundred and eighteen thousand dollars, you give yourself a budget that you're going to contribute to helping to pay out whatever families, specific guys, charities, whatever, however, whatever means you're going through. But you're budgeting what you like and what's important to you. Where your money goes. Aside from quarterback, give me specific player archetypes that you feel most strongly about investing in.
Speaker 1: I am sinking all of my money into building the two point zero of Empson's defensive line from twenty eighteen. Okay, all of my money. It might not be the super sexy plan, but it is, as we saw.
Speaker 2: An enormo going out and getting a Jerry Judy.
Speaker 1: No, it is an enormous competitive advantage. It stops the run, it affects the pass. It's part of what truly has set the SEC apart for all these years. Defensive line play. Plus, if you can do what Clemson did and get three defensive linemen drafted in the first round. You better believe that moving forward. Yep, that's a position group that recruits itself long into the future. Yeah, so I go defensive line first and foremost. The way that it can change a college football game is something that you can't put a price tag on.
Speaker 2: I've been scarred by a couple of pretty poor defensive coordinators ty as an Oregon fan recently, the to the Don Pellam and the Brady hoke eras. And thus I've watched some bad linebackers. Okay, bad I should say bad linebackers. I mean maybe they were, but bad linebacker play. And there is something about a just nails inside or middle linebacker, depending on the scheme you're running, gets everybody set, makes calls. You know, run stuffer can drop into coverage. If I'm talking about somebody on the level of potentially Patrick Willis, Luke Keigley, somebody like that, I think that's where I am. Just all the chips are going in that direction.
Speaker 1: You get yourself like two or three Josh Allen's it's not a bad play.
Speaker 2: No, I mean he's sort of a stand up edge rusher. But yes, I need line. I mean, you watch the Ohio State Oregon National Championship game. I did not a lot of Ezekiel Elliott tackling happening in that game with an incredible defensive line with Eric Armstead and to Forrest Buckner in front of them. So there is something immensely personal about developing that. Like I want a neck roll. I want a lot of pointing and yelling. I want a lot of sideline towel waving. I want a lot of celebrations on batted balls. I want that captain anchor of a middle linebacker inside linebacker, and if he presents himself, that's where I'm spending my cash.
Speaker 1: Give me defensive line all day, every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, reasonable.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that neither one of us took offense with this though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you can develop receivers. I think running backs the injury risk is pretty high. I a Quentin Nelson type sure thing inside there. That's gonna especially if you are a team who's going to run a good amount. That's very attractive. The road grader, Tie, road grader. Yeah, you give me a Quentin Nelson type. I'm listening. I'm not hanging up the phone.
Speaker 1: By the way Dan. Since we're talking about money and you know buying aquisition group, Yeah, this is true. Are your credit card bills keeping you up at night sometimes?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You got interest to find a lot of diapers. You got interest rates in the double digits.
Speaker 2: It's not great.
Speaker 1: Be smart. Pay off your credit card balances with a credit card cansolidation loan from light Stream. Get a fixed rate as low as five point nine to five APR. With auto pay, you could save thousands in interest. You can get a loan from five thousand to one hundred thousand. There are no fees, can even get your money as soon as the day you apply. Plus, light Stream is a division of sun Trust Bank, one of the nation's largest financial institutions, so you have complete piece of mind. If you want to save even more, our listeners can get additional interest rate discount. The only way to get the discount is to go to lightstream dot com slash Solid l I G H T S t R e A M dot com slash Solid of course subject to credit approval. Rate includes a point five percent autopay discount. Terms and conditions apply and offers our subject to change without notice. Visit lightstream dot com slash solid for more in formation.
Speaker 2: Ty, can we make a quick announcement here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Did I know we're about talking? I think we're done talking college football for this show.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, do.
Speaker 2: You have any other questions that you want to ask?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, actually, do we have one more? One more?
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead, yeah, one more.
Speaker 2: Sorry for the teas, and then we're moving on. Okay from college football too, whatever our other nonsense. Somebody we talked about how much we loved LSU's field. Oh yeah, we talked about how the painted gradient I is just so striking, and you love the five yard markers instead of ten yard markers. How it was just this unique quality when there's a lot of homogeneous named homogeneous, a homogeneous nature to college football fields sometimes. And we actually got an email from somebody who used to work on the You saw this the field beautiful for LSU. Awesome, Oh amazing, And he agreed with us. For the record, he didn't correct this, He just gave us some more details that there's no set design for there's no set border for the eye. It's just sort of what happens when they're painting it, and it's a autricate process.
Speaker 1: I love it beautiful chaos.
Speaker 2: Yes, what other fields in college football to you? So anything between fans, So it could be you know, if you love the hedges at Georgia, what fields to you are the most striking that visually? Just do it for you get your corneas all agog I would Dan, if you'll indulge me. Mm hmm, like to construct my ideal field. Oh my gosh, okay, your robofield.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about stadiums, right, We're just talking about the field of the field of play, the area the immediate area around the field of play.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So like if if a stadium has a track like Washington used to have a track around, that's because they okay, track and field. But if you like that vision, you're like, hey, I like that throwback.
Speaker 1: I think. I think what you know about me is that I like things that stray a little bit from the norm. Maybe not as much as you. Right, I like straying from the norm, and I'm all about sticking it to the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's you.
Speaker 1: I'm sticking mister rebel in an ideal world.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Give me the blue turf from Boise.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, you're going for it.
Speaker 1: Give me that sweet LSU Tiger gradient logo and and the yard markings every five yards. M hm. I want the hedges from Georgia and Sanford Stadium for my money. Nothing better than a guy getting blasted into the hedges at Sanford Stadium.
Speaker 2: Yep. I And you have a bulldog on the field that counts. I didn't think of that, but yes, sitting on a mound of ice. Yes, so he doesn't overheat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got the Tennessee checkerboard in the end zone.
Speaker 2: Love the checkerboards.
Speaker 1: And because also if we're going to.
Speaker 2: Talk on the power to on the midfield, yeah, well I've already got my I know, I know midfield saying Tennessee's field aesthetic is terrific.
Speaker 1: Give me the checkerboard in the end zone. And I don't know how sound fits into this equation. We're talking about bulldogs and live mascots. But if it sound has no dimension Dan, so it's tough to say how it would fit into this equation. But I'm going to take the soundtrack from Lane Stadium.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that's not a that's not a terf situation.
Speaker 1: I don't know how sound acoustics, Okay, sound that is obviously great. But if I could, I'm going to say, enter Samman from Laane Stadium.
Speaker 2: Do you have trouble with any of the fields with your vision? Sometimes I do not gonna watch ones. I have trouble when it rains. So what happens when it rains? When the browns and the greens? Oh, puddles really mess you up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the typhoon games that we see the typhoon monsoon. Excuse me? Yeah, so what does that look like to you? It just all sort of looks the same.
Speaker 2: It's a mess.
Speaker 1: Okay, It's just like they're playing on a cow pasture, which isn't wrong per se. It's just tough for me to depict where the field stops and the football begins.
Speaker 2: I love the shades of green, and that's obviously because I've been to and I've watched so many Aughtson stadium games. But I love the sort of lighter, darker green alternating. And that's it's true at a number of stadiums. Yeah, nothing, it's terribly unique to Ottson, But I do like that. I like how you can sort of keep track of yardage really easily that way.
Speaker 1: On the fly.
Speaker 2: I think North Carolinas field. I think that that tar heel blue that they line it with, I think it pops really nicely with the green turf. My Number one is going to be the Rose Bowl field. I like how they paint the sidelines up until whatever point with the colors of the teams, and then you have that the dark end zones that you know, it doesn't just say Michigan or USC, it's that, you know, they have the Michigan blue all throughout that end zone and the cardinal of USC whatever. There is something that is incredibly striking of the Rose in the middle of the field. There is something just looking at that turf and not even talking about the bowl, not even talking about the San Gabriel Mountains, the angle with which we watch at which we watch the game, it's a pretty low angle, right, the Rose Bowl angle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you almost.
Speaker 2: See blades of grass when you're watching it at you know, I think ESPN probably about fifty sixty frames per second. Yeah, So there is something about the Rose Bowl that is so comforting turf wise, and I've walked on that turf before a couple of different Rose Bowls. It's just it's magic. And so that to me is probably my number one overall field, but elements wise, I think you nailed the other ones. I think LSU Tennessee. The blue turf doesn't do as much for me, but I do like that sometimes birds land on it thinking it's a pond making its water. I enjoy that element of it. But outside of that, I think those are all of my answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if I'm not going Blue turf, I think I'm with you on the Rose Bowl. And you're right to point out the angle from which we watch the Rose Bowl as a television viewer.
Speaker 2: Do you hate any fields or any elements of any fields? Do you know what? I absolutely love? And it's so terrible because I love watching the team, and I love the tradition around the field, and I love the colors and everything that happens. I hate Clemson's end zone yea so much. The Seraph's Sarah Clemson get out of here.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I think it's awful. I think it's tacky, and I hate it.
Speaker 1: I really feel that. I hate I need.
Speaker 2: I hate the Clemson en zone. I don't know how I feel about the Notre Dame en zone. I think I'm mostly down on it. I'm anti Yeah, I think I used to sort of like it and now just like the slashes are just it's there, just to be there. Let's let's update.
Speaker 1: There is a very simple quality to the Notre Dame field, right that I understand.
Speaker 2: I like the turf of Notre Dame field. Do they do they play on grass or they play on turf?
Speaker 1: It's turf. Now. Yeah, I like the simple nature of the field and I can understand why would be into that, But it doesn't do it for me. Give me the checkerboards, and I don't think Notre Dame needs to go ostentatious with their end zones. No, no, no, of course not.
Speaker 2: Just add a little let's let's go a little bit. You know, if it were some sort of shamrocky design in there, I think that'd be great. Listen, we've had thoughtful shamrocks. We've had issues with the Shamrocks series and the uniforms. I don't have any level of confidence that they could pull off the shamrock in the end zone on the home what about ty Stay with me here. Pots of gold.
Speaker 1: Pots are trying. It is the end of the rainbow right right. Metaphorically speaking, I could go with that thoughtful, classy pots of gold.
Speaker 2: I think you're onto something there, Dan, all right, I'm gonna give it some more thought, but I think Notre Dame can do something that I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to think more about stadiums I hate or fields that I hate.
Speaker 2: All Right, I think we're done with college football. So if you don't want to keep listening, thanks for the download. It's been a pleasure. Keep driving safely, don't max out at the gym any anywhere beyond where you're comfortable. Take a good nap on this flight. You've earned it.
Speaker 1: Our friend Peter Hoffin might be on a flight. He sent us a mess. You're on a flight this weekend. Well, Peter, Ty, here's.
Speaker 2: Here's my first non college football question. But it's sort of related to college football. If your future son or daughter is recruited heavily by a college coach, wow, to play whatever sports?
Speaker 1: Wow? Good question? What? Well?
Speaker 2: I haven't asked the question yet, but you see it in front of you. Yeah, what means are you making them during the end home visit? Okay, and it's not like you need to impress them. They're already impressed with your son or daughter, right, But what what is the meal that you were going to say? Man, I, especially if your son or daughter is really leaning towards Tennessee basketball or USC tennis, whatever, and you want to make that really you want to have that impression with the coach. Well, Dan, and you cannot farm this out to mama. H I'm not farming this south town. You know.
Speaker 1: As I said earlier, some of my defining qualities, I do like to stick it to the man right, just sort of my mo wove to the fabric of my being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody knows this about you.
Speaker 1: I also tend to overthink things. Yeah, so I would probably approach this from a deep psychological standpoint. I don't want to get too fancy with this dinner. Nor do I really want to try and impress who's ever coming over to the house. I want to try and get them at their absolute weakest moment, most vulnerable moment, when I can see truly into the soul of the coach. I want something messy, and I want something informal. So maybe a big greasy burger, maybe we make wings, maybe we buy wings from down the street here. I want something messy. I want something I can cook on the grill. You want them rolling up their sleeves, rolling up your sleeves. I've never done a boil, but maybe we do a boil while you're out, something that's messy, dirty and informal to get the coach at his or her most vulnerable state.
Speaker 2: So I'm giving the coach an opportunity because I know this is apparently the code amongst coaches. They are always supposed to ask for seconds. Really always ask for seconds, because it indicates to the parents, oh my god, this meal you've prepared is so good. It's very flattering to go to somebody's house and say, this meal is so good. Could I possibly have more? Could I have the recipe? And so that is a code amongst coaches. So I'm going to do something that would make it so obvious and I would allow them to ask for seconds. I'm just making a giant panel lasagna. Yeah, and this is why I don't want to spend too much time away from the coach. I got a lot of questions, how are you going to use my daughter in the triangle offense? How are you going to is my son only to play doubles? Is my son a three down running back? I can answer that right now. Probably not no, probably, And I just need that one pan, that one dish meal that you just throw the noodles, you start layering, you get your meat, sauce, you get some Italian sausage in there, plenty of cheese. You just throw it in the oven. You don't think about it. Maybe throw together a salad, maybe some roast vegetables. But I don't want to be doing too much. I want to be sitting down with this coach and then just hear the timer go off and then out comes the lasagna, and then give the opportunity a coach to say, you know what, if you don't mind, can I get that corner piece? If you don't, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, because this is the best lasagna I've ever had. Could you throw me the corner piece, throw me an edge, that money edge. So I think lasagna is my answer. Get to spend optimal amount of time.
Speaker 1: Like it's a tough to answer.
Speaker 2: Good answer, good answer, good answer. Okay, tie, This is a question that I find myself having to answer, and I don't answer it well. That often when you're finishing up a meal at a decent or a nicer restaurant anniversary, or just like, you know what, we need to go on a Friday night date? Sure, we just go to a couple are yeah, sure, and it's maybe it's one of a little hipstery where everything is printed in like a type or font on a piece of paper that's four inches by eight inches. Those that kind of place, they got truffle things tat. Yeah. Server asks you if you'd like to see a dessert menu clearing your plates, You guys interested, you want to take a look at the dessert menu. You guys, save some room, save some room for dessert. And so provided that you are not on a diet, you nor Kate is on a diet where you're not eating sugar, so you'd be open to desserts if they had something interesting or if you were in the mood. Is your response to that question? A? You just answer quickly, know that you and Kate have already sort of had the conversation your fall. Let's just get the check. B. What do you think we're worth a look? Are you? Are you deciding on the spot with the server standing there waiting, Are you saying sure? Why not? No matter if you actually mean it, Just to see what the offerings are because maybe next time you will be interested in that peach cobbler. Maybe it's not for tonight, but you like to know what is available at this establishment. Do you defer with like, you know, I'm good, Kate, do whatever, obviously, if you feel like dessert, get dessert, but I'm good. Is that like your natural natural response or do you just defer to Kate?
Speaker 1: Either way, I defer to the second half.
Speaker 2: Right, So what is the most common what is your natural response to that question?
Speaker 1: My next is okay, So it multiple layers here, Dan, I went out to dinner for my anniversary recently.
Speaker 2: You got to read the room. That's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: You got to read the room. Yeah, I went out to dinner for my anniversary recently. I also went out for a belated Valentine's Day dinner recent In both those cases, because it was a special occasion occasion, I just went into that experience knowing that we were going to say, yeah, let's take.
Speaker 2: It headfirst into dessert. Yeah, let's just do this the special occasion. We're gonna do dessert for course meal. When it's not a special occasion, I think you have to read the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Usually when we're in that kind of uncertain territory. Usually it's solid wife Kate being the first to speak up, and usually she's speaking up in a manner like, yeah, I think we save some room, or yeah, take a look.
Speaker 2: I've never considered room, by the way, as I'm eating my patty mess as I'm never eating my rotisserie chicken.
Speaker 1: But yeah, never in a million years.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's usually her speaking up. Usually in that moment, I will defer to her, okay. And sometimes we just come away with coffee. Sometimes we don't come away with anything.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, look at you boldly drinking coffee at night.
Speaker 1: Usually I'm not the first to speak up. Usually in that moment, you defer to her. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I will almost always ask to see the menu for the reason I gave where, even if I'm not feeling like dessert.
Speaker 1: Do future research?
Speaker 2: Love the note to know the lay of the land. I take forever at grocery stores time.
Speaker 1: How do you do with menus? Just in general? I find I have a d D with menus and.
Speaker 2: I go I will always, I will always, always always look up the menu before I go somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 2: And there are places that you know, with changes by the night, whatever whatever is fresh, and whatever the chef is feeling like in terms of that night. But I generally go in with a great sense, so I'm good with menus.
Speaker 1: Can I can I admit to something here on the pom Rat since we're running yeah late here today. Yeah, I'm very intimidated to place a dinner order in your presence.
Speaker 2: And I get that a lot, And I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I'm very intimidated by you just as a uh wow.
Speaker 2: Just because you think I'm gonna judge your order.
Speaker 1: No, I'm afraid of the globe tomato situation. Oh you don't want to pronounce something. I will have a bowl of Raymond please, something like that.
Speaker 2: I how have your finest bull love? But you done.
Speaker 1: I'm a little intimidated. I like you very much personally professionally you know this is working out, But when it comes to dining, I'm a little intimidated.
Speaker 2: So have you ever ordered either in front of me or in front of anybody else? You've been intimidated by something because you are more comfortable pronouncing it more so than that's what you actually wanted.
Speaker 1: You know, I can't think up a moment off the top of my head, but it definitely, it definitely seems like something I would do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'm sorry. Like I can't imagine that we've eaten at too many exotically named dish restaurants, but perhaps we have.
Speaker 1: Some of the Mexican places we went to when we were out in Arizona.
Speaker 2: There there were menu items that threw you.
Speaker 1: Do you have a greater command of the Spanish language than I do? I do, And there are there are l's that I may have pronounced that you knew to pronounces wise things.
Speaker 2: Please just tell me, Just tell me that you want, like say that, oh, I don't how does this pronounce? Is it tayuda? That kind of thing, and then we'll just go from there. I don't want you to not get something because you're shame over.
Speaker 1: This is a show about honesty. I just had that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it is. I will always ask for the dessert menu. And I am a little bit bummed that we've gotten to a place where a lot of the time people feel like, oh, dessert menu, which one dessert should we order? Because dessert tastes are pretty varied. Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes you'll like, you and Kate will get the dessert menus and she'll be like, what should we get the smores? Should we just go for it? But meanwhile you're thinking, God, the blueberry tart is just calling my name. But for whatever reason, we've gotten to this place where you can only order one dessert. I don't know if that's true of you and Kate.
Speaker 1: If you're picking one dessert, what percentage of the time would you say you are overruled by your wife? One hundred one zero cero, I would say, I am. She is literally undefeated again.
Speaker 2: But I will I will just order a second dessert. Generally that that's what will happen. If I'm feeling particularly good about the lemon merangue pie and she's jonesing for the berries or whatever. Yeah, it's like and throwing the lemons, throwing the slice of lemon rang pie. Let's just solid.
Speaker 1: Wife, Kate is undefeated against me in that conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you're just ordering the one, you are you are merely a partner, You are merely a suggestion. You are in, you are riding along, you are in the sidecar.
Speaker 1: Give me, yeah, one or two more quick ones here.
Speaker 2: If you were immediately thrust into one of the Property Brothers jobs realtor, realtor real tour or contract tour, contractor, which do you think you could more plausibly and successfully navigate with zero experience and training.
Speaker 1: I think it would have to be the real tour.
Speaker 2: Why is that? I think I'm You're not delegating as a realtor. You're just getting it done. Get money. You need no market. You need to know negotiation tactics.
Speaker 1: I think I could manage the negotiation tactics. Inspection stuff, I think I could manage that. Okay, I think I think I could do enough to muddle my way through it. The problem with actually being a contractor is you've got to build stuff or you got to know what to delegate to people who've got to hire people. Yeah, you got to you gotta know what you're looking for. And as a first time homeowner, I'm telling you I don't know what I'm looking for. Yeah, I could talk my way into or out of most situations.
Speaker 2: I would be terrible at both of these things. I was just curious to see what you would say. I would have to which one would you pick? Oh, I would definitely be a realtor. You got to go the same reason you could definitely talk your way into because if I were to build a house with zero training, there would be walls that would not align.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a fatality somewhere in there. Gosh, yes, wait did we not dry wall? Did we not dry wall?
Speaker 2: Is that on me?
Speaker 1: I don't even want to look at those insurance?
Speaker 2: But that would be every day term like termites plural, Yeah, every day. So that's that's a good answer. Good answer. Final question here, ty, what is something you definitely don't need to spend a ton on but prefer the premium experience? Excuse me? And what is something you refuse to spend a ton on but others happily do?
Speaker 1: Huh? This is sort of the Apple computer dilemma, right right?
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely it is.
Speaker 1: That would probably be a good answer.
Speaker 2: Well, you spend a ton on electronics gear if you don't settle Yeah, any video gear.
Speaker 1: Anything, electronics audio, that's.
Speaker 2: You're setting up a possibly illegal surveillance system that is possibly illegal, possibly illegal surveillance anything anything electronic.
Speaker 1: Usually I'm going overboard on that. So okay, what do you refuse to spend a lot on let's put it this way. Anything that on Amazon also has an Amazon Basics option, I'm almost always going with the Amazon Basics option.
Speaker 2: The high floor of Amazon Basics, whatever it is. I'm going, ever to cables. Do you own any Amazon pieces of clothing? I don't have a brands. I don't yet, but I'm not against it. They're all right. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna name drop names because they're not sponsored. But I've needed some a couple of things in a pinch, all right. They do the job. I refuse to spend money on parking. Parking, Oh, we've We've talked about this before. I refuse, like there have I've driven in so many cities with Jodie with an eye which it's like, oh, there's just a lot right here, and it's twenty seven dollars. No, I will feed that meter till I die. I'm not paying money. I'm not paying like premium money for parking ever ever ever Valet, Nope, there's a spot somewhere.
Speaker 1: See. I had an awakening. I don't know why that is. I had an awakening. Dane. We were planning our wedding because I very much went into that of the mindset. I'm going to try and keep this as cheap as possible, nice and classy, sure to reflect our personalities in our lifestyle. But I don't want to go overboard, and I certainly don't want to get fleeced on any of these things that we're going to to buy.
Speaker 2: I'm not paying money for flowers.
Speaker 1: And then I learned about these so called wedding tax and let me tell you, I came out of that experience willing to pay fifty dollars for just about anything in life. Since then, I have not been the same. Before that, I was a lot more miserly. Now I'm in a spot where it's tougher for me to answer the question right. But I do like Amazon Basics. Anything with an Amazon Basics option, I determined most of the time, I'm not willing to spend it. I'm going to go Amazon Basics.
Speaker 2: Would you advise somebody to not have a wedding? Yes, I love the pregnant pause there. You would advise somebody's city hall, then, like just like rent out the backyard of a restaurant or something. If you can do with friends, you can swing it, if you.
Speaker 1: Can swing it without offending family, Yep, one hundred percent. Go for it.
Speaker 2: Have twelve people in your backyard. If somebody in your family insists on a proper ceremony, use.
Speaker 1: That money towards a house, towards a car, towards whatever, a a trip around the world. Yeah, consider that if you can get out. I mean, do you feel the same.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I loved my wedding, so that a phenomenal time at your wedding, at my wedding, whatever. But I would advise that just in terms of the headache and just what you could put that money towards. Did you did you.
Speaker 1: Have a moment when you were planning your wedding m h where you looked at Jody with an eye and said.
Speaker 2: Fake my own death, change my identity.
Speaker 1: Did you ever look at her during the wedding planning process and say should we want to do this? Like? Maybe is it too late?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I did not have that moment. It was a great process. But if you have the freedom to do the city hall or backyard thing and then just do a thing with a bunch of friends, I'd say go for that.
Speaker 1: Go for that, man.
Speaker 2: I would say go for that. In terms of something that I insist on spending a premium for that. I don't need to. It's always food. It's always always food, and it's always I want to try as much as possible at restaurants, if that is not exceedingly obvious already, Yeah, I want if there are three appetizers that appeal to me, and I'm with one, two, three other people, and everybody just like what appetizers would we get? Like, no, let's get a B and C because who cares, let's just try it. All that to me is where I'm overspending always always, you know one other area, yeah, that I'm finding now as a homeowner. M I just spent an arm and a leg to get new smoke detectors. Really I did, man, and I didn't need to.
Speaker 1: I'm finding that other things in that same vein, like just preventative home type stuff. Right. They really sell me on the value of peace of mind.
Speaker 2: That's a huge thing as I am now dealing with childcare. Tie, you're not paying for childcare.
Speaker 1: You're paying for peace of mind. Paying for that peace of mind. Yeah, that's where they get you.
Speaker 2: Super cheap in New York childcare, super duper. You wouldn't think it, but it is crazy cheap, all right, So that's that deal.
Speaker 1: You had all these questions for me. Yeah, you put me to the test. I'm running on e here. I gotta get some food in my belly. Same all because of your heart hitting questions. Next week, it's going to be my turn. I've got some good ones for you. Yes, I started thinking them up today.
Speaker 2: Good great college football, non college football.
Speaker 1: Like if you haven't already, please do subscribe to the show where it's soliverbal dot com. You can also sign up for our newsletter out there. We've got shirts in the pipeline. I am excited about these shirts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty good, right, very good. So you wanted to change some text on one of them, we'll circle back to that.
Speaker 1: I'm having second thoughts about my second thoughts. Oh okay, great, I think it's good. So we've got those coming forward. M H. Sign up for the newsletter soliverble dot com. We'll mail out anytime we've got new shirts. Also anytime we've got new announcements. We won't spam you, but nope. If you're into the show, it's free to subscribe, check it out, don't forget. You can also find us on Twitter on Facebook on Instagram. Was also a subreddit started buy Verballers four Verballers at reddit dot com, slash or slash solid verbal, where you can join the community, talk amongst friends about the show, make fun of us, whatever you want to do out there. It's it's free country man. Do everyone.
Speaker 2: We don't care if you've learned nothing else after this show. Matt Campbell, good coach, Good coach. Also, nobody dislikes the person that says, you know what, let's also do the barrata.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: You know what, Let's also do the cobbler. Yeah, let's go crazy. Let's get the cobbler.
Speaker 1: Too, And don't forget. If you like the show, leave the street.
Speaker 2: It's a good person.
Speaker 1: iTunes dot com slash Cliverble I think still works. We were on iTunes, We're on Spotify, We're on stitcher, Google Play, anywhere you can find podcasts. You can get in Cliverble. That's all I got, Dan. Here's my final question to you, Ty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if people started tuning out thinking we were just plugging reviews and subscriptions, would you say that you have been flirted with since getting married with certainty? This person a man in whoever, Pat, I have been flirted with definitively. Yeah, your answer is yes.
Speaker 1: Uh no, I'm saying, was your answer yes, Oh yeah, definitely I definitively.
Speaker 2: I say definitely because I'm a stupid, stupid dude who probably takes way too much as flirtation. But in my mind, well in person, probably I will not say definitively yes. Online, yes, I will say this in DMS have been slugged into.
Speaker 1: In general, and the solid wife Kate would back me up on this one. M I had no idea what was going on round.
Speaker 2: Oh, I tell Jody with an eye all the time, like this person is DM me and is a getting Oh oh, it's weird, look at this.
Speaker 1: I have no idea my place in the universe, right, and in general, I'm I'm pretty okay. And so I think there was a lot of that going on before I was married, and you just had no I had no idea about the commodity here, that's right. The solid wife had to tell me what was going on. Wow.
Speaker 2: So so it wasn't even just flirtation. It was like you were being hit on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I'm going to assume that to some degree that's continued, I'm just not paying any attention to it. I wasn't paying attention to it before.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Ty, first you call yourself a rebel, Now you consider yourself a flirtation man, I mean.
Speaker 1: That's what goes on. Wow. I have no idea, to be honest, but maybe.
Speaker 2: I just wanted. I was curious if you had to like diffuse the situation.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no bombs have needed to be differed.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's good to know. I love hearing that.
Speaker 1: Well, Dan, we've covered ground here, haven't we.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: We're going to be back next week. It's a long slog of a collegeable offseason, and we're gonna do our best to try and make this as fun as possible. Stay tuned to all the social channels. Sign up for that newsletter if you haven't already, leave us a review. If you like the show, Daniel, you enjoy the rest of your week and your weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey you too, and order those desserts.
Speaker 1: Come get on those desserts. I'm gonna go get some food now after this, fuel myself up for the long night of editing that surely is in front of me, and I'll talk to you. I'm sure tomorrow I'll talk to everyone out there.
Speaker 2: What in a week, right, yep, next week.
Speaker 1: In the meantime for that, go over there Dan for myself, Hi, we'll talk to y'all soon.
Speaker 2: Stay solid, Peace,