Speaker 1: M m M. What up.
Speaker 2: Well, back in LA for another episode of All the Smoke, my brother Matt in his state.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm kind of visiting hire, but you know we've been.
Speaker 3: Doing always welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been doing We've been doing business so long enough. But it's kind of home now, you know what I'm saying. But especially episode today, Man, somebody who I admire, somebody who I look up to my life has grown to really understand him and to really know how to put myself in the shoes. A lot of stuff that he went through as a youngster during his career, it was hard for us to understand because we wasn't in it. My own experience is life has has opened me up to really admire him and understand him and to really want to be somebody that I call a friend and a brother. Honored to have you on the show today, the one and only Craig Hodges.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, please and blessings to everybody.
Speaker 5: And it's like I said, I appreciate the invite, man as you watching y'all from far y'all doing a great job and it's something that's definitely vital for the people, man, you know, and it's not just about our community, it's about people in general and people who care about.
Speaker 1: People appreciate you. So, how's life right now? What's going on with you?
Speaker 5: A man keeping it simple, you know, making sure that training as many young players as I can, you know, and at the same time doing as much mentoring from a research and development and as I can.
Speaker 4: You know, that's my passion. It was basketball and history.
Speaker 5: So I continue to do my research and try to maintain that student athlete mentality.
Speaker 2: A lot of people throw the word blackballed around, white ball, whatever you want to call it, and not really experience it or not really understanding that. You are very familiar with that. Can you talk about that? And when what? And lot peo don't understand what being black ball from the league means.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: One of the beautiful part for me and the whole experience of it, is that I was blessed to go to Long Beach State.
Speaker 4: Text Wanner recruited me.
Speaker 5: He was recruiting to me from Northwestern when I was in Chicago playing basketball, and when I got a chance to come to Long Beach State, I got a chance to study black studies. And my first professor was doctor Malina Karinga, the founder of Kwanza, And the first lesson that we learned was why is everything that is negative has a black connotation to it? Yes to found doctor Kringa. So for for me, it was one of those things where once again I was blessed to have texts who came in and bought me out here. I knew I wanted to go out here after watching all the UCLA when I was growing up and watching them and being in Chicago and low weather and looking out here in palm trees and T shirts, That's where I want to go. And when Tech's got the job at Long Beach, it was a no brainer for me. And then when I got here, I found Black studies because I wanted to be a political science major. And when I got to Long Beach, I had a chance to get Black studies at my very first class, and that took me back to what I learned in as far as the civil rights movement was in Chicago Heights, Illinois and growing up under segregation and seeing you know, Jim Crow when I was a baby man, I couldn't sit at the lunch counter with young white children who were getting their ice creams. I had to take my ice cream outside with a Milton hold down my arm, you know. But it was one of those things that you know, we grew up under it, but at the same time we realized that, you know, it's something special for you in your life if you work hard, if you study hard, and you conduct yourself in a manner in which where you came from. So our generation, I think about it. You know, every time we left house, somebody was telling you be a good boy, you know, and that meant something. It meant something to the point that you know, as you go further in life, you always want to make sure you conduct yourself in a way that's you know, conduced it to the growth not only of view but also the people around you. So when I look at, you know, the background and studies that I had at Long Beach State, it almost prepared me for what was to come from the white balling or the black balling, and you know, the historical relevance of it, not just to me, but whenever I speak about it, I always want to make sure that I include mag Mood in it, and that you know, Macmood, I'll do a rope and the path that he was on even more so, than myself. You know, I feel like I could probably win another three or four three point titles and maybe a couple more rings. But the path that mcmove was on from a personal development and a personal career level where he could have went in as far as the amounts of points that he could score and score against the best defenders in the game and it not be an issue. It was almost you look at him and then if you go watch him do his drill work, he was doing drill work when he was playing. So for me to understand the reality of you know, when you stand up for a position that is not conducive to the growth of white supremacy, racism and understanding the boundaries of it, understanding the economic impacts of it, understanding that within the realm of where we are, that that's the civilization that we're under, you know, and that in that, should I continue to want to thrive in that? Or should I want my children to have something better? And the only way it can get better is if we build it. It's not, you know, And that's the cool part of having the historical perspective and knowing that when we study African history and African origin of civilization. We know that every other civilization sprang from that, So we have the right and the responsibility to build something right now that's relevant for not only our children. And that's the cool part about where we are today in history is that it has become such a melting pot with the Internet. Is that we are the world now, you know what I'm saying, And that righteous people of good thought and peace and love can conduct themselves together now and it becomes a conscious movement that it's almost unstoppable.
Speaker 6: To really kind of understand your story, I want to take it back to where it started. Chicago, as you mentioned earlier, you know, towards the end of the Gym Crow era. What was it like for you growing up in that area?
Speaker 5: Man, I tell people I had to have this child of anybody that I could, you know, think about because even though we were segregated at that time, when in Chicago Heights you couldn't go past Houston Street and they would always tell us, not knowing as a child growing up, when your chance to tell you make sure you back on the other side of the hostel before six, you know, before it get dark. And we didn't know the reason why, but that was a line of demarcation in Chicago Heights for us, and that to realize that, okay, everything that got over there got over here, and when it comes time for us to keep peeped against one another, they ain't even close. So it was a matter of us realizing that, you know, my aunt who was you know, Lord rest of Soul, my god mom as well.
Speaker 4: She was one of the top teachers.
Speaker 5: So her whole class that left Chicago Heights to go to Illinois State to learn how to teach, they all came back and taught us. So the community that I grew up in, I would go to the corner store and I would see my math teacher. So it was truly a community where everybody knew everybody.
Speaker 4: And when you.
Speaker 5: Think about that period of time and you just talk about it, even on a professional level, when you think about the Celtics having to go south to go past the Jim Crow line and they ain't letting them, you know, you can't stand the same hotel and all of that. So I was part of that, but as a baby and seeing it growing up from the standpoint talking to my granddad. He was the first black track captain at bloom High School. In Chicago Heights, and he said he couldn't play football or baseball because you had to touch a white person. So the lines of segregation, the demarcation was so tough that a lot of people don't realize it as we move away from this thing and we think that everything is in a vacuum and that you know, people tied its shed blood. I remember nineteen sixty eight waking up in the morning, turning on WGN News and seeing Fred Hampton and Mark clark apartment as a you know what I'm saying, So they tell us oftentimes the memories that we have as children are ones that are so hard on you.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I recall and the cool and not cool. But the critical point to be made is how the media portrayed that in such a way that made sure that you saw it as a baby. They didn't try to say, okay, like now they say, okay, what you're getting ready to see, you can cover up your children's eyes and then it's getting ready to come on.
Speaker 4: It wasn't none of that.
Speaker 5: It was like seeing the chief of police walking here with all these police and you're seeing bloody mattresses, you seeing all of this as a child, and you're saying, man, why is it that this is happening to us, and not realizing that it's a systematic condition.
Speaker 4: That is something that you don't have to you can you don't have to partake in it. You have to study it.
Speaker 5: But now when I have, when I become an adult and become worthy of a paycheck, and once again that's paid to be checked, but being worthy of an income, should that income not be put in a maunder that can help other people get out of that, because then I think that's one of the things that we missed when i'm you know, we're talking about that, Jim Correyra. But even even the educational process, the u mental part of it, like Malcolm said, we've been bamboozled, you know what I'm saying, and that the brainwashing, the brainwashing and the brain mechanisms. So for me, I always think about when they say three fists of human being, what parts did y'all leave away from me?
Speaker 4: What is that for me?
Speaker 5: When I study it? It's God in tongue. You know that you gave me this man Shaquille type man. We got all of that, But what are we thinking about?
Speaker 4: What tongue.
Speaker 5: Do we have to think from you know what I'm saying, so in the manifestation of coming through what we came through as a people. And that's one thing always, since I was eighteen years old and even younger, I think that I've always tried to make sure every single day I think about those who are less fortunate than me. And when I was eighteen nineteen twenty, I thought it was a black thing. No, no, it's a people thing. Nobody should suffer.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I was watching yesterday doing some research which for what we're doing here today, Brothers, I saw Tupac and it was a four minute, four minute and fifty five second interview that he was doing with MTV and he was talking about the billionaire class, and it was so cold. What he was saying was if I got all of his bread, why do I need all these houses?
Speaker 4: Why can't I help some people?
Speaker 5: And that's the beautiful part where for me, I think about my grandmom, who to me is the most saintly person that ever walked to earth, and I'm sure all of my grandmamas. And that's the part I think that we missed in the early part of our movement, that we were so man man man black man black, as opposed to seeing how much the sisters who birthed us all, where are they adding this divinity thing?
Speaker 1: You feel me?
Speaker 4: Because that's where we are.
Speaker 5: We're in the age of Aquarius now, so a lot of this information is coming through sisterhood and we have to respect that for what it is, because we had our chance, brothers, and we didn't do what we were supposed to do with it, even though it's a divine time and things. So I think a lot of even even to the point of what we do with our wealth, how we manifest ourselves.
Speaker 4: You know this what y'all doing, brothers all. Don't y'all don't y'all.
Speaker 5: Realize it because y'all solid brothers, and y'all know what y'all doing.
Speaker 4: But this is so important, this whole. And you know how you.
Speaker 5: See stuff from the outside and you have a so I see it from the outside, and I've been checking y'a out and then when y'all give them my guy sign and say let's do this thing, and then to come and see the production factor in it. It's so powerful and it's so powerful that this is something I want my baby boy to come see this because he loves music and all of this type of stuff, and that this is what we need because this is what we didn't have. And these were the type of programs that when we won championships in Chicago, this is what I feel we could do that as opposed to saying, Okay, I'm gonna go to Rush Street or I'm gonna go do this, and I'm gonna do this. Hey man, what would happen if we organized ourselves as a championship unit and stayed in the city we was in until we go back to training camp. What type of programs like this could we build for every city in America? And likewise we all retired players. Now, that's one of the things that I'm hollering at the retired players about is how can we connect ourselves to the players that are playing now and we be able to run programs through the retired players who are in local places that can do things over sustained period of time, as opposed to it being me coming in doing the camp and then I'm gone, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I appreciate what y'all.
Speaker 5: Doing, man, and for me to share whatever information we can share right now to this next generation. It's critical because if we don't, they coming after whatever little bit you got.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be more beneficial, Like you said, if the tired players that want to give that education, that want to give that game back, can set up some ground roots foundation and where they live exactly because there'll be more organic, they can spend more time and they can get them with the kids to get more out of it.
Speaker 1: That makes all the sense in the world.
Speaker 5: Yes, man, And that's that's the part where we have to, you know, we have to. One of the things that I like is that when we play sport, we know how cooperative you have to be to win, you know. So when I hear this whole conversation about the goat, I say, there's only one goat, and that's Bill Russell to me, because he won, he taught people to win. And when we put on these shorts in these uniforms and go through layups and all of.
Speaker 4: That, we're trying to win.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: So we can talk all of this about an individual's stat or whatever. That's cool, but in the long run, if you ain't a swimmer or running a sprint, you and this as a group and the group, and that's part of the civilization. I think about us when we were winning championships in Chicago and we're talking about Pip and how we became part of Michael and Michael and the Jordanaires, and how we were cool with it because we understood it as a in the locker room, so we could we would We're gonna support you, brother, to make sure that you can get what you get, you know what I'm saying. But don't discount the fact that let's give Pip fifteen oh trips, Let's give Horse another five trips, Let's give Hodds another five or six jumpers, and let's see how we can melt this thing out. And then I think, so when we were speaking in terms of, you know, watching my brother Pip and you know, watching some of the stuff that's going on, you know, it's sad to me that we having fostered that brotherhood like y'all got you know what I'm saying. And that's the part that I think. That's what I thought when we came When I came in the league in nineteen eighty two, one of the first people to hit knowledge on me was Bill Walton, loving loving to debt to this day and he told me, say, Hi, look here, you're a hooper man. I don't care how much you go through this thing and get to management. Always be on the side of the players because they are the game. And that's what I feel like. I feel like we are the game. So we have so much to offer still to the game, and likewise, I feel like we can be more influential in the way that the game is going. So when I look at Okay said, I delineate we got basketball, then we have management basketball. So management basketball in the NBA where I see it now is analytics and that type of thing. Over here, we're saying, how do we make the best team and what is the compliments that I can make in chemistry to make this thing work?
Speaker 4: I look at probably and Matt.
Speaker 5: You know, it's at least and the same thing with you. You know when you down there with Pop, so much of what Pop is doing this triangle, you know, So when we look at hit that thing dropping in ten dunk and go over there, that's you know what I'm saying. But now the game is such I would love to see Joel and be against James Edwards, Bill Carr, right, somebody is running block to block. Will Chamberlain would have loved to guard Joel and Bad at three point line because now I only got to run it there, and now you got to run down.
Speaker 4: Here, and you're gonna have to take this beating.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that it's you know, I love I love the conversation, no dis on and beating. And I'm not using that as an example. I'm just using it in the way the game is played. When I think I was watching a conversation that Kobe was having and he said that it's accidental basketball and that when he said that, I was like, wow, that is so profound because when I look at the way the game is played and me playing off of Michael Jordan not a triangle, as opposed to me playing out of playing with Michael Jordan out of isolation basketball, it was a total difference.
Speaker 4: When we as in isolation, I'll be over there off the ball.
Speaker 5: When is it coming? Is it gonna come? Now we know in triangle that when that thing coming, it's gonna be there, and it's.
Speaker 6: Gonna They still might shortcut it. But if they don't shortcut it, you're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get it. Wide open.
Speaker 5: And that's the beautiful part of the system itself, is that it lent himself to everybody getting touch it. So everybody gonna play D. Everybody gonna play D. So let's go the other way. Somebody gonna get it touch with, somebody gonna you know what I'm saying. So when we was talking about Matt and I was having a conversation about Pip and I told him, I said to me, once Scotty became one of the.
Speaker 4: Fiftieth best, his level of confidence.
Speaker 5: Not necessarily the way he played, He's playing that top fifty. Before then, he just didn't know it, you feel me. He was under the influence of twenty three that this is how you do it, this is how.
Speaker 4: You do it. That is how you do it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna drop you something, just how you do it. So he little brother man, when he became top fifty, it became.
Speaker 4: What let's go.
Speaker 5: And I think to some degree that's still there in that little rift. They haven't but you know, LRD willing it'll come together because everybody got children and grand babies.
Speaker 4: Now, man, we're too old for that shit. You know what I'm saying. We were too old, We too old. We're too old for that. Now we're elders.
Speaker 5: Now we're older, just to the point where we got to be able to give something back in the level where hey, man, if I can't give it to you, And see, I think you know the economics of America, the economics of.
Speaker 4: What is success? Isn't me having a billion, isn't me having one hundred thousand, isn't me having a hundred?
Speaker 5: What is so in this thing? They put that idol in front of us, and we all chase it so much. And when I when I leave money on.
Speaker 4: The table, it can be tough.
Speaker 5: And I think many times that when we leave money on the table, money's left on the table, that those little frackings come out, and then we have chaos because.
Speaker 4: Can't nobody teach it but me? And don't nobody want to allow me to teach? And I'm cool with that.
Speaker 5: I can tell you right now, my son is teaching that in Pasadena Polytechnical High School. My oldest boys teaching triangle over there.
Speaker 3: Cope taught his daughter the triangle.
Speaker 4: It's the easiest game.
Speaker 5: This is the craziest part. It's the most fundamental system. You're going to get soon as you walk in the door. That's foot work. Then we go into our real footwork. Then we pick up a ball. Now we're in the ball handling.
Speaker 4: That's what you're gonna do naturally if you walk into a gym and pick up a ball. So it's certain things that text was able to figure out on a straight, straight, straight, basic level. I wish everybody would had a chance to be at Long Beach State for the four years that I spent there.
Speaker 3: Was it was it triangle off the rip? What do you mean with texts?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, it was.
Speaker 5: It was, And it is the cold part about it, Like I had it four years in college. So I tell people to feel one how many championships, twelve or whatever you want, with only a third of the system because we didn't have to play against full court, you know what I'm saying. So in college you're playing against full court. We planned try and go right from out of bounds. So it's it's cold. It's a cold system. And for me, I'm like every team that I coach, that's what I teach.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying, you run the triangle otter out of bounds. I'm putting it together. I'm visualizing, think about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, think about it. And the way we set up against Press was we is four cross, two at the elbow, two on the wings. So now that wing pop, I hit and I go through.
Speaker 1: To the corner, half court flash middle.
Speaker 5: It's man and it's And that's the cool part about I'm so glad I played the game. When I played the game, you know, we all had handles, we had taps or whatever you want to call it. We had that, you know what I'm saying. But the game was played where I got a cat at six', Nine i'm six. Two were gonna look inside before we look, Outside So i'm coming.
Speaker 4: Down i'm dropping that.
Speaker 5: In SO i, SAY i would love to See Steph curry try to play with one of The biggs back in the day with a grab.
Speaker 4: Rebound, no, no, no come.
Speaker 5: BACK a young, man come, in a young man, Here hold that, down wait TILL i get down.
Speaker 4: There and that's what you got when you came into the league as a. Rookie, yo, man what you're running down there so?
Speaker 2: Fast fuck young, fella young, fella hold, Up.
Speaker 5: Hold that, up Because i'm getting. It i'm down there doing this dirty, work you. Know hold up TIL i get down, there you, know so it's a it's a different. Game but once, again everything is in. Cycles and you, Know I'm, matt how many teams in the league could probably be competitive on a championship level with.
Speaker 4: Triangle but you, Know tex saw us is.
Speaker 5: One of the first things you taught. Us he, Say, man you dribbling from here, Today i'm gonna pass it to get that. Quicker so we dribbling, around dribbling. AROUND i WATCHED i watched the game and somebody dribbled almost a whole twenty four second clock and got like three screening rolls at the.
Speaker 4: Top didn't chick come off of, it and now you got a. Lunch And i'm, like that's not basketball to.
Speaker 5: ME i think we were talking to practical especially paying under, pop and feel you weren't gonna play.
Speaker 4: If you weren't playing practical. Basketball you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying if you shooting the thirty, foot this should be at the end of a clock or at the end of a.
Speaker 6: Quarter that's WHY i feel, LIKE i, mean this this generation is very, skilled BUT i feel like they lack the the thinking of the game because like you said, that.
Speaker 5: And you think about, it one of the great parts about all of us had we had we had a chance to play at the, park you know What i'm. Saying so now instead of playing at the, park they're with a dribbling coach there with the head and did with a strength and conditioning.
Speaker 4: Coach so all of you only got so much time.
Speaker 5: To do whatever we're doing playing, Man and that was the thing that we were, learning and we were learning to play against bigger people playing with you you younger playing against older, guys so you learn to play against through through contact and. Everything where now it's like you know you're gonna and then when when they set up THESE aau programs and such where you're getting the top five from over, here come with top seven over, here and now we're gonna go and just dominate every. Place but nobody's working on what their weaknesses. Are you, know everybody's trying to. Win we're trying to win for. It and that's WHY i tell people now WHENEVER i mentor any young folks and their, parents is that you only have so many games in your. Body and WHEN i say, Games i'm saying when you put on a when a referee is out, there when you walk into the, gym and you smell, Popcorn you're adrenaline started. Rushing you put on a, uniform the whistle blows and the clock. Starts that's different than Scrim you only got so many of them in your.
Speaker 4: Life, now if you're an up and.
Speaker 5: Coming player and you look like you're going, SOMEWHERE i want them to be from twenty.
Speaker 3: Two save And i'm trying to tell you twenty.
Speaker 4: Two to thirty. TWO i don't want you to be. There oh my son is the top eighth.
Speaker 6: Grader, okay, Hey i'm we got to edit this part that that's been my whole thing with my, twins and like the homies can, contest like there's no point in being the best six fifth grade or sixth, gade or seventh graderor eighth.
Speaker 1: Grade like you want to.
Speaker 6: Start peaking at eleventh, grade twelfth grade through college, exactly that's when and then you hit your physical. Peak, yes and to late twenty so it's it's a, marathon not a. Spread and so many people these days BECAUSE i coach au and obviously you still, coaching it's about my son's ranked, this and it's just, This AND i tell you know how many People i've seen ranked, man never do, anything never never heard of them. Exactly that's the part of it's the, bill it's the constantly chop, wood carry.
Speaker 3: Water let's just get a little bit better each.
Speaker 5: Time and then that's the, thing, man is that and to be able to give that.
Speaker 4: Guidance and that's the part Where i'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yes and you got the answer to the test, already, yes.
Speaker 5: And if you Get and that's LIKE i tell young folks When i'm working with, Them i'm, Like, Okay i'll work with, you AND i tell their Parents i'll work with. Y'all but if they're a, knucklehead we only got one, session, Okay And i'm gonna know if your knucklehead or she's a, knucklehead because they gonna think they already.
Speaker 4: Know and if that's the, case then you don't need, me you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying so let's just go on ahead and understand that the fundamentals are the, fundamentals and let's grind on. Those like you, say let's grind on those. Fundamentals let's see how much work we can put in with older, people see where you, know see where we can bring you.
Speaker 4: Along and then you go back and going to.
Speaker 5: WORKSHIT i tell PEOPLE i feel LIKE i became the shooter THAT i am BECAUSE i shot so much by myself and THAT i never got bored and still to this, DAY i don't get bored with seeing the ball go through the basket the same way BECAUSE i do it the same. Way and that me and me and my son would have battles because he would get caught in His, kobe he'd get.
Speaker 4: Got in the.
Speaker 5: COLD i was, Like, bro you didn't hit twenty in a row and now you want to.
Speaker 4: Fade why not make the twenty first?
Speaker 5: One because for, me it's not the twenty first or one hundred, first it's just that.
Speaker 4: One and how DO i make sure that every single jump is just?
Speaker 5: One and Now i'm putting all of this into this single one and That and that's when WHEN i was working With, KOBE i would have to remind him our word was, extension Because cob shot so many, balls not just shooting, him but thinking about shooting, him that he was always on to the next. One And i'm, like, no, bro stay there with that, one because when you did, that stated until you see that shit go, in and then we are and you go still then come back and do it, again you know What i'm, saying and again and again and that and that was the part THAT i loved, with you, know working with, him was that his his mental focus and his Preparation BEFORE i go out, THERE i want to make sure THAT i have all.
Speaker 4: The bases covered possible BEFORE i strap them.
Speaker 5: On and then WHEN i strap them, On i'm gonna have that connected with, that it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Ugly it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: UGLY i got to steal that When i'm talking to my uh my daughter's, team just the one make all them shots one.
Speaker 4: Shot, Yes and that's the and that's the hardest.
Speaker 6: Part we're gonna we're gonna touch on this a little. Later but you told me something THAT i thought was, crazy super. Fascinating what's the difference you play with him and you coach With phil and work With. Kobe what's the difference between those two in your?
Speaker 1: Opinion right?
Speaker 4: Hand?
Speaker 5: Why because What kobe would be going to the line to shoot, too M j was going to shoot and one so a lot of them knocks That kobe had to shoot with two hands when that.
Speaker 4: Knock what? HAPPENED? Mj put that bad boy over?
Speaker 3: Here you?
Speaker 1: Know, oh that's the. Difference, okay, okay, OKAY i didn't hear.
Speaker 7: That that's that to me is the only difference is that gripper that gripper because, Man i'm telling YOU i haven't seen his.
Speaker 5: Brother make like hes going to do a crossover and you.
Speaker 1: Come, on, man that's a myth right? Now?
Speaker 5: Bro come, on, Man i'm telling him And DOCTOR j the them. Hands, Yeah, bro you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying it's.
Speaker 5: Certain it's. Certain and that's the way you, say like the creator knows who should have.
Speaker 1: Exactly you can't question, them.
Speaker 5: You know What i'm, saying what they? What this is what you're gonna need to. Do what you got in your mind you're gonna, do and there it, is go for. It and then you Have KOBE mj that Engined. Westbrook when you look at people Like John moran who had, that when you'd be, like that's a different.
Speaker 4: Engine you know What i'm, SAYING i can. Work Like i'm telling, YOU i was with Him jay four and a half seasons or. Whatever never lost a, suicide, mm never never.
Speaker 1: Lost, Never it's. Crazy.
Speaker 4: Never, no.
Speaker 1: That's hard to. Believe some DAYS i don't feel.
Speaker 5: Like and we would Ask phil how many we got after, practice and he would ask us how many we.
Speaker 4: Want because we knew he knew we was trying to get.
Speaker 1: Him mm. Hmmm so it would be.
Speaker 4: It would be like, this all, right me and bj we're gonna go out hard on.
Speaker 1: Him are?
Speaker 3: Y'allways team up on?
Speaker 4: It leave as soon as a whistle. Blow as soon as a whistle, Blow he damned it coming back at. Us if you feel me on the rail and this ain't no this ain't this ain't no, job And i'm. RUNNING i feel LIKE i could run all. Day you feel me and quick and quick, hands some.
Speaker 5: Speed but, man it wasn't even it wasn't even fair on the rail and honestly checked us. Out kobe rehabit and we And anaheim getting ready to play a preseason, game right so going through our workout before every other team comes out and then the other team get ready to come.
Speaker 4: Out he's like watch, this Hotch like what he's, like watch?
Speaker 5: This he get on the sideline and started running like he us saying boat up and down the sideline where the other team coming out to.
Speaker 4: Shoot they can't even look they're looking at him because he running like he's eating the.
Speaker 5: Lines you know What i'm, saying and that's the temperament that He Jan cass can talk.
Speaker 4: About talk about something different and you're.
Speaker 5: Crazy so when we when we got with The, lakers we go to a wife for our first training. Camp were on the, plane he tapped me on the. Shoulder, man when we get, IN i want to have lunch with. You, okay get, in go, downstairs we have. Lunch it was all, about, man how did M j make people?
Speaker 4: Better what was he? Like and THEN i had never seen any practice sign. Practice it was like Watching MICHAEL whoa.
Speaker 3: The first and everything.
Speaker 5: Gas, me gas me and, mannerisms Everything i'm, like and then understanding of how much he watched him growing, up but to be able to see to see, it put it in practice and then go do. It he would call me and, Say, hi do we need some work in the. Morning, okay we get that six thirty and he working on four spots that he's gonna get thirty from that. Night and he ain't taking no shots the, box box elbow. Wing feel me And i'm talking about, precision And i'm pissed because it's thirty five forty minutes or nothing but d for. Me you, know you know What i'm, saying And i'm, like, Man i'm knowing. Him he won a different look every single. Time, yea, yeah And i'm gonna give him that just from a competitive. End and LIKE i, said like you talk about how much of a blessing it was to play with, him play with, Him, JAY i got AN mj almost every day, practice you, Know AND i loved it because for me it was like WHEN i know he's gonna, Post i'm just front, y'all better help.
Speaker 4: Me you feel?
Speaker 5: Me and then when he, Shoot i'm, Gone and now he got to try to cross match to get back And i'm shooting this, thing you, know to have to play with, him and then to Watch kobe and to See kobe say all, right, Man i'm gonna do these two footworks from here And i'm gonna get. Fourteen i'm gonna do these over, here And i'm gonna get at least twenty into the line for four.
Speaker 4: More and we go back and it beat them, spots.
Speaker 5: Beat them spots because he didn't looked and, Said, okay this team got this type of d they gonna throw at, me this team got this big down, here SO i ain't gonna be going down the town.
Speaker 4: And he too small with.
Speaker 6: Me did you go to keep your? Training did you go with us To? Spain, no you weren't, There so we was on the flight To. SPAIN i told this story, before BUT i just want to add on to what you're thinking when you talk about the way he looks at. Defense so this is when everybody with sleeves on the big huge plane with the families there and. Everything he has his headphones on AND i think he's over there, wrapping So i'm gonna go talk shit to. HIM i get up and there's like thirty different courts and he's drawing where the defense is gonna. Be he's, LIKE i don't look at the guy guard. ME i don't look at the. HELP i look at the third. Guy this is where you guys are going to be open. At so he had some ship where L o is gonna be open Me Steve Blake fish run like this nigga.
Speaker 1: Is sick because it's gonna take three times sick.
Speaker 6: Go but then you talk about his kill spots on top of, that AND i know how the defensive plays like when he's, like can be that's where you're gonna be. Open this, One i'm not even worried about this guy looking at And i'm just, like, oh this.
Speaker 1: Text.
Speaker 4: WINNER i was too BEFORE i got on the.
Speaker 1: Team it's.
Speaker 5: Crazy and that's what WHEN i got with The, lakers text would tell. Me, MAN i would have to Tell kobe to get out of my room because we're watching. Film And kobe was like the first time he watched film with, texts he thought he was just gonna watch film. Him he's, like, no, man we watched the whole game Jump, ball all the way to the, end and he said how much that helped him make the game slow?
Speaker 1: Down you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying and then you know, too, man when you got green.
Speaker 5: Green, green green, light lime, green, Different, man come, On man gave me, that you, Know and that's the probably like when We're Doug.
Speaker 4: Collins Doug collins was like.
Speaker 5: This people was, like, MAN mj shoot a. Lot, NO mj just had to make one. Shot anybody you make one, Shot doug coming back to the.
Speaker 4: Coming back to the same play, twice so you got two times to score.
Speaker 5: Again SO mj would get on them, runs but you could get on them runs. Too just you got to make at least.
Speaker 4: Two to three in a row and just keep it moving. Man but now not the way the game is.
Speaker 5: Played for, Me i'm so GLAD i played WHEN i played man because to, me it was it was more, cohesive it was more i'm gonna, say formalized basketball from the standpoint that it was a position game to where now it seems, like you, know it's positionless that if you can, handle regardless to your, size you're gonna. Handle you, know you look At yokige And, luca.
Speaker 3: You, know regardless of your.
Speaker 1: Size. Shoot, yeah, yeah let's.
Speaker 6: Back up a little. Bit drafted to The San Diego. Clippers, yes the owner that ended up losing his job during my run. Here knowing what you're about what you, study was there any did you know anything about him before you got to The?
Speaker 1: Clippers not at.
Speaker 5: All and the crazy part, was you, know for me coming in as you, know black, studies you, KNOW i, WAS i was, serious serious as far as my commitment and still serious about, it BUT i was you know how you can be too serious.
Speaker 4: And not not enjoy.
Speaker 5: Life so it was one of those things WHERE i made sure THAT i was on my p's and q's where the game was, concerned AND i was just, young And i'm studying and, watching BUT i watched you know where we would come in with the clippers and not have a check.
Speaker 4: Signed you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying and it's A friday. Afternoon you know What i'm. Saying you, know you, know and that type of. Stuff but also at that time When Bill walton would always let me, know, yeah, man.
Speaker 4: The owner is a. Slumlord you know What i'm. Saying that's coming From.
Speaker 1: Bill bill was.
Speaker 4: Superman bill was solid.
Speaker 5: Man and that's you know certain. People you, KNOW i look at my, life, man there's certain people That i've been blessed to have looked. At WHEN i was a shorty. MAN i Remember bill when he scored his last game IN ucla one for twenty two man and ran off the.
Speaker 4: Court you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying when he fired out the, game he was gone running off AND i was like that white boy, cool you know What i'm. Saying And, Bill, bill and you know all type of People i've been able to meet in my, life you, know whether it Was Jesse, jackson whether It's mandela you. Know so WHEN i, did y'all notice, this y'all might have seen, this did y'all y'all watch The Super, bowl, Right did y'all see THE nfl players commercial whether there's talking ABOUT i Am?
Speaker 4: Somebody did you see? That anybody see?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 5: Okay that was the mantra THAT i had WHEN i was eight years old At Operation Bread basket In chicago By Reverend Jesse Jackson.
Speaker 4: Jr, really AND i, said they didn't even get his brother no credit on.
Speaker 1: THAT i remember that that was his whole. THING i am somebody and.
Speaker 5: It started and it started WITH i am, black BUT i am, somebody all.
Speaker 4: Right so WHEN i seen, THAT i was, like, oh, man come, on but it's.
Speaker 1: Cool, yeah it's.
Speaker 4: Cool but where we just like right now one of the things that we have to do is. Players And i'm glad this came. Up Spencer. Haywood.
Speaker 5: Yep we have got to make sure that we start calling this To Spencer haywood rule and that it was because Of spencer that people could come in early.
Speaker 1: Out of high, school no, question you.
Speaker 5: Know and that's the, part and you, know just things like that from a historical, level, Man and That spencer is one of the other brothers THAT i had a.
Speaker 4: Chance you, know now we're, cool and he was one of the brothers like Man Spencer.
Speaker 5: Wood you know What i'm, Saying, kareem you, Know, Doc and to get a, chance like you, say WHEN i came in the, league WHEN i played against The lakers the first it was a trip getting to you, know getting to get a greens To, kareem you know What i'm, saying and to be able to, Say, man you, here but you.
Speaker 4: Can't be enamored we're being. Here it's putting in. Work it's putting in.
Speaker 5: Work but also knowing, That and that's one of the things, too is WHEN i look at how right, now to some, DEGREE i look back and, say, man IF i was a one, dimensional just a basketball player and not thinking about the, Liberation i'm glad You it'll been some numbers put up y'all on the. Reil AND i ain't saying that to be. Facetious i'm, saying you, know, summertime, summertime summertime Run i'm getting thirty fives and forties in the, city SO i know. That But i'm looking at HOW i was taught to play the, game all. Right Steve fisher was my high school coach that coached the five. Five SO i had three and a half hours every day of drill.
Speaker 4: Work you feel me in.
Speaker 5: Discipline, man in the early part of the, GAME i come down in high school AND i drop a dame behind my back and before he finished the layft the horn was boring for me to come out the. Game, Okay now fourth, quarter fourth, quarter same, game come, down drop the same, Time no, problem because it's in the heat of the.
Speaker 4: Battle make the. Play don't need that. Early just make a.
Speaker 5: Play and that taught, Me, OKAY i can make these, plays but be cognizant because you're gonna come out of the. Game and why come out the. Game you on the road where you got almost thirty eight right, now don't do nothing, stupid don't get your, forties you know What i'm. Saying so it's a different it's a different. Mindset and for, ME i, was LIKE i, SAID i was blessed to be able to have great teaching all the way, through go From Steve fisher to Text, winner from Text winner To Paul silas To Jimmy lineham To Don, Nelson Cotton, Fitzsimmons Doug, Collins Phil. Jackson you, know SO i Had i've had great teaching all the way, through and probably one of the greatest TEACHERS i had along that way was Down nelson and you Know, Nellie. Nellie nelly was. Cool AND i think one of the cold parts About nelly that that when he got The Golden, state he changed you feel? Me he became mellow Man. Milwaukee he was a, psycho was?
Speaker 6: HE i want to hear about this side because he was so cool with.
Speaker 2: Us super mellow with, us letting the smoke tree in his, creb his apartment all.
Speaker 4: That, no no dig. THIS i go To. Hawaii who was? That?
Speaker 1: YES i love, you get ready to love.
Speaker 4: YOU i go To.
Speaker 5: MAUI i go To mawi AND i visit field all these trees and. Shit right, Now i'm playing with the Bucks i'm.
Speaker 4: Burning he calls me in the office one, Day, Yeah, craig we need to. Talk what's up smoking?
Speaker 1: Weed?
Speaker 3: Right i'm Like.
Speaker 4: He's, like, well give it a couple of, days take it off a couple of, days, Right And i'm, like y'all get out.
Speaker 5: There it's, like, man you was messing with me about smoking weed WHEN i was playing what you tripping?
Speaker 1: On?
Speaker 4: Right but, Anyway nelly.
Speaker 1: Was like, This nelly cush.
Speaker 4: EXACTLY i was like, What but, anyway when we was In, Milwaukee, man we would have thirty days of tour days old.
Speaker 1: School, YEAH i need to trade, me you feel?
Speaker 5: Me thirty days of two days And i'm talking About nelly was like, THIS i got.
Speaker 1: Traded, YEAH i ain't able to do it.
Speaker 5: Me Terry cummings And Ricky, pierce we get traded To, milwaukee all. Right they get there for the first day of the first practice that.
Speaker 4: MORNING i come in that.
Speaker 5: Afternoon So i'm going up to the elevator to Meet nelly and they're coming down after the first practice In Ricky pierce country.
Speaker 4: Man hart that more, crazy, Man it can't be that bad. Man so get up there With nelly's.
Speaker 5: Like, YEAH i could have got you in the trade a year, ago but NOW i think you're gonna have a longevity in the.
Speaker 4: Game you got a nice physeq and.
Speaker 5: Everything he's, like but the one thing IS i want to know if you can handle a motherfucker cussing you.
Speaker 4: Out AND i started.
Speaker 5: Laughing, man go to practice that, night come, in we take our three. Laps we go right to the, mirror drill lead.
Speaker 4: Them that's. Me get up, front so, no make them. Work how does that SHIT.
Speaker 5: I slide for two, minutes leading them, right and now they take two laps before the next. One i'm getting ready to take my.
Speaker 4: Lap, no, no, no keep. Sliding i'm, like and you, know pros when we take, laps were getting the rest.
Speaker 5: Right So i'm looking at the. Brothers come, back give them three, minutes So i'm ready to. Quit i'm ready to get. Traded at this, POINT i Told terry comes out LIKE tc, Man i'm ready to get.
Speaker 4: Traded. Man like, MAN i slow. Down now we go through that whole thirty.
Speaker 5: Days, man as soon as that camp is, over he became the coolest coach, ever a player's. Coach but you know what he told me after it all these like the way you get control of your team is make them all hate. You and once you get them all, hating and now what's? Him he put everybody through, that and it was, like, man we hate this cat. Man nelly be sitting there and you Know, milwaukee how cold it. Is we used to practice in this place Called Cardinals Scritch, college old.
Speaker 4: School no he.
Speaker 5: Dead, winner, Right nelly sitting in there in a parker and smoking cigarettes while we running, Laps and it's, like, man And nelly was always he was cool to the point where you could joke with.
Speaker 4: Him but he was serious about.
Speaker 5: Winning he was serious about unless we played The, celtics and then it was like he ain't gonna.
Speaker 1: Coach he ain't gonna.
Speaker 3: Coach, no, man why.
Speaker 1: Not read our?
Speaker 4: Back he all read his.
Speaker 5: Career so we go In Boston, garden we waiting For nelly to give us one of these bombed inventions on the sideline and time.
Speaker 4: Out he's. Silent, man it's The Houston Conference. Finals, Man no no rep no. Rip, okay all, right, okay talk through the.
Speaker 6: Motion that's like the culture and the water boy man when he was intimidated by the other exactly basically.
Speaker 1: What he did after we Beat dallas shut it.
Speaker 5: DOWN i think you know one of the, things you, know When steve was in the high, School, steve that which happened would not not just And chris at. All that would have never happened with my high school, team never Because fish made sure you was on point and and locked.
Speaker 4: In but it, happened you.
Speaker 5: Know but he was always understanding of the impact that players could, have especially going into. College he understood that he couldn't be as he was when he was around us in high, school you, know so he became more more, calm and he came into great. Situations, man you know What i'm. Saying he came into you know when that when that five to five thing went, down that was perfect. Timing he had recruited them all and you were second in, charge and then the coach steps.
Speaker 4: Down so you in good.
Speaker 3: Shape From milwaukee To, chicago.
Speaker 4: From milwaukee To, Phoenix, phoenix, YEAH i.
Speaker 5: WAS i went FROM i got traded To phoenix the same day With Kevin, Johnson Mark, West Tyrone. CORBIN i came From milwaukee For Jay. Humphreys jay went to The. BUCKS i came to The. Sins i'm leading the league in three point percentage at the TIME i get. Traded WHEN i get traded in as soon AS i get off the, Plane i'm on IR i don't know how did this? Happen but, okay. Cool So i'm, like, Well i'm gonna go home with some hardwork Because i'm gonna be the three point. Title and you know that we only had maybe fifteen games left after that because we weren't go into the. Playoffs and THEN i went to training camp the following season AND i got traded probably like mid Almost. December and what's cool about that situation is That Jerry, COLANGELO i went to high school.
Speaker 1: With all my.
Speaker 4: Family he's From.
Speaker 5: Chicago the gym At Bloom High school was named After Jerry. Colangelo so when he called me in to trade me To, chicago he's, like, Yeah Craig cotton would love to have. You you, Know cotten Fits simmons would love to keep you as an insurance. Policy BUT i got a trade you might.
Speaker 1: LIKE i was, like what's. Up he's Like.
Speaker 4: CHICAGO i was, like oh.
Speaker 5: Man he's, like, yeah make sure you tell your family HOW i was, like cooler, man it. Was it was cool from that point on to be able to come home and be the first homeborn, champion you know What i'm, Saying and to be able to look at it from a different perspective that HAD i came To chicago as a, ROOKIE i wouldn't have been. Ready but to be able to come in as a six year veteran with playoff, experience probably more playoff. Experience the other person that might have had more than me Was Bill. Cartwright so you come in with a level of you, know seniority and in a mindset that you ready to.
Speaker 4: Deliver. MAN i remember we played we played The bulls WHEN i was In, milwaukee and you know how you're going through layup line and you cross, paths AND i remember crossing paths with M jay and we drapped it up AND i told, HIM i, said, man if we ever get, together we're gonna win.
Speaker 5: Championships and we kept going and we came. Back AND i tell, people when you look at the, numbers he's twenty, Three i'm, Fourteen my one and my four encompasses two and three together the equal.
Speaker 4: Ten so ain't no way we could.
Speaker 1: Lose in a way we could.
Speaker 3: Lose so your first year In, chicago you guys lose To.
Speaker 4: Detroit, yes and GET i asked with.
Speaker 3: What'd you guys learn from?
Speaker 5: That that the biggest thing was their physicality versus our. Athleticism so when they were KNOCKING mj, down they're, Taped scottie out a little, bit, okay we would react to them. Taps the following, year it was make sure that when anybody got, tapped two or three of us go over there quick and get them right to the line and get them up and let's go that it ain't gonna beat us lingering over this hit or looking. Back, no, no, no get your ass, up get you the, line make your free.
Speaker 4: Throws they gonna file you because they can't stop.
Speaker 1: You you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying because the athleticism that we had in our front, line man was stupid at that at that period of. Time and being able to play under the system that we played under With, doug it was tough because everything was run so much THROUGH mj that it was hard for the younger Cats, pete you, KNOW Bj stacy for them to be able to see how this is.
Speaker 4: Played you.
Speaker 5: Know so once it became a thing where everybody was gonna get, touches it became a different, game. Man and and once again it was, uh you, KNOW mj was hot with the system when it was walked.
Speaker 4: On he didn't want to he didn't want to want to run, triangle you.
Speaker 5: Know but it was like and and that's another, thing you, know watching The Last dance and the the aura of the mystique Of mike in the ora of The mystique OF mj or twenty three or whatever you want to call, it and the reality of what the locker room was like that that wasn't a he wasn't a senior in the. Class you know What i'm. Saying that Was bill Cut. Right so it wasn't ever where he was gonna Speak bill or he was gonna Speak, hodge because it was a. Seniority you came in the. League we was in the league when you came, Here so it's not gonna be different. Level and so people from the outside would see it one, way but we on the inside understood it to be what it was and that you, know when things would go, awry it was gonna be your. Teach and that's what we Call bill cut, Right, yo, teach what's what's? Up and you're gonna, Drop you're gonna let, it let it be. Known and it wasn't nobody gonna challenge. That and that's the part WHERE i, think you, know the the whole media side of things can cause like cosset. Friction you, know WHEN i look at the opportunity That Derrick rose And Jimmy butler had together In, chicago but the media wanted to make it which Team whose team is? It as opposed to see these young brothers realize what we could do as a camaraderie and make this thing go for a. Championship and that's the part that you know understanding that different, Systems and that's WHAT i tell people all the.
Speaker 4: TIME i don't care what you're.
Speaker 5: In systems win, championships and every system that has a defensive component on, it defense wins. Championship so we hang our had on. Defense and the way that we do that is going to give us an opportunity to bust out of this thing and play offense the way we want to play, it which is. Run people think that triangle slow.
Speaker 4: Down you think about.
Speaker 5: It we wanted to run most of the time when we're trying to do the, tryang we're trying to run to. Numbers, now if the numbers ain't, there let's flow into our system and get things popping, off you, know without the ball getting.
Speaker 4: Stuck in one, place you, know pipping.
Speaker 6: Incredible, yeah you were telling. Me this is one THING i asked. YOU i asked you two. Things we'll get into. IT i was, like how good was he and should he feel the way he should feel Towards mike at this, POINT i think that was, Something but how good was?
Speaker 5: HE i think he was better THAN mj just from a natural six seven with the same. Components but not only is your right your left is that, big you know What i'm, Saying and you finishing.
Speaker 4: Were both equally like.
Speaker 5: That the difference was was that the level of confidence coming out of and so.
Speaker 4: Much when we look at, it think about.
Speaker 5: It if you think about how many guys you played, with so much was given to them that they lent to their, confidence you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying so IF i know THAT i got all of.
Speaker 5: These people behind me and all these people supporting, me Then i'm gonna go out And i'm gonna pay a different way as opposed TO i got to prove to these people That i'm. Capable scotty come in having to prove itself From Central, arkansas as opposed to knowing that, Dude i'm six, SEVEN i got, HANDLES i gotta, JUMP i can. SHOOT i still got to prove. Myself where m was already proven to a, degree it was just a matter of how good.
Speaker 4: He was gonna.
Speaker 5: Become and that you, know WHEN i look at pichure, Development scotty is silly. Man scotty And horse they used to keep things so light hearted because they were silly young. Folks but they played hard and they got every, day AND i think that's the part That Pip pip became better with every. Touch AND i think you, know when they named in the top, fifty it took his confidence to a different. Level BUT i think he felt THAT mj could have done more from a business side of helping, him you know What i'm, saying from the side of saying all, right you think how many professional athletes today and of yesteryear who gave a piece of themselves contractually in order to keep my boy, here you know What i'm, Saying and THAT i Think scotty wanted a little bit of that to. Happen and you, know sometimes you, know the friendship and like THEY i soaught a piece the other day where they was Asking scotty if him And michael ever had a dinner.
Speaker 4: Together you're, like, No AND i could see THAT i can see.
Speaker 5: Them never sitting down. There you, know yes it. Is but then when he said, NO i was, LIKE i, thought y'all had you know What i'm, saying at some, point you, know if nothing else but The olympics Or Dream, team and sometime y'all had to sit. Down BUT i could believe it after talking about, it him talking about it the way he. DID i could believe, it you, know but it's not you, know it's not taking anything away from what we did on a basketball.
Speaker 4: Level what are we doing as? Men you know What i'm? Saying what is where are we at right?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Man LIKE i, said we're too old for that.
Speaker 1: Dumb, shit, right you spoke.
Speaker 3: Old On where DO i want to go? There AND i don't want to go?
Speaker 6: There talk to me about the one time you guys are finishing up the season Against, miami right and you're going to see him in the first round of the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Exactly we're playing In miami and we're rolling at this. Time the system is system is really playing for. Itself and that's the cool part about the. System once you get into, it you just come to. Games, man you done did it so much and its. Flows so we're going to shoot around and we're leaving shoot around and we're on the bus and THEM ja, like, man drop me off here and drop him off at the bar and, say you're gonna have some, beers, right, huh say you're gonna have some. Beers, okay gonna have some. Beers so he tells us to pick him up on the way back to the.
Speaker 4: Game we pick him.
Speaker 5: Up he still got his sweats, on you know him j come the game suited and boot it all, right still got his sweats.
Speaker 4: On pick us. Up he get on the. Bath, yeah, Man i'm feeling. Good, Right bubbly gets.
Speaker 5: Me at a beer on, him got thirty at half all, right going through warm.
Speaker 4: Ups, Man i'm seeing three. Rams i'm gonna shoot that to one in the.
Speaker 5: Middle, okay that's, hard, okay and then told us if y'all can't beat, him we don't need to win a. Championship y'all could beat him without. Me but came in there and he got it done hurly and went set.
Speaker 4: Down, okay rush, fresh, win set.
Speaker 1: Down that's.
Speaker 6: Why that's the kind of, Shit not that it bothers me What dallas's management is trying to Portray luca ass like we aren't grown man and can handle what we need to do to their man because they think he smokes hookah and drinks be it like if you knew what motherfucker was really doing and still going out there and being professionals Like and.
Speaker 5: That's the crazy part is they know. It ain't you, know they can they can play it all, right they. Don't you don't you paying the amount of money you're investing to know what these cats are. Doing so you, know as well as anybody's just a matter that now you want to you want to.
Speaker 4: Use that as a means of the reason you got rid of them or.
Speaker 5: Whatever but it's sickning, man it's you, know it's the same Old you control the, media so you can control the narrative.
Speaker 6: Degree let's talk about you talking To magic And michael about sitting out.
Speaker 5: Right that was our nineteen ninety one championship and you know The Rodney king stuff that went, down and we man we had and it was TWENTY i think twenty.
Speaker 4: One or the twenty four athletes is Us.
Speaker 5: And you KNOW i harkened back TO i brought to them that in nineteen sixty. Three that's how we got a union is by us boycotting at.
Speaker 6: The playoffs on Keep your thought was this them together, separately. Separately, Okay so you talk To mike and then you talk To man.
Speaker 4: Exactly AND MJ i spoke to him before.
Speaker 5: PRACTICE i was, like, dude if we boycott this first, game how much action they're gonna have to do for, us whether it be in the front, office whether it be in, ownership they're gonna have to make some. Concessions and me knowing studying The All star weekend and how the union came. About When Jerry west and Elgend bale and the brother say we ain't gonna, play concessions were made.
Speaker 4: So that game could go. On same thing would.
Speaker 5: Happen y'all, know if twenty minutes on the, clock The lakers and don't come out in the, Court bulls don't come out in the. Court the media is, saying, oh they're, playing they're playing mental.
Speaker 4: Games eighteen on the. Clock somebody from the organization is coming down at what's going. On twenty one or twenty four four athletes can, say we're not gonna plan until we get some.
Speaker 5: Concessions concession's gonna be made right. Away magic said it was too. SEVERE mj said he wasn't doing.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: Okay my thing was. Okay HAD i had the mindset, NOW i wouldn't have.
Speaker 4: Played you feel, Me BUT i wasn't.
Speaker 5: Thinking once, again me thinking and the collective not me, thinking that we're gonna step out.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: Now we went to The White, house it was a different. Thing we hear and this is WHAT i gotta. Do you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: SAYING i gotta be on because ain't nobody else gonna bring, This SO i gotta make SURE i get delivered as message that needs to be delivered and should have been delivered a long time. AGO i gotta make SURE i give it to you so you can say you got. It and he put on a historical.
Speaker 3: Record talk to us about what that message was and what.
Speaker 5: You did well once we won a. Championship this is the ninety one ship first. Championship, okay well we lost In, Detroit douglas, coach we crowned like, babies, Man And i'm, like you know. What it hit me sometime during the season that we need ancestral help on this, thing that we ain't got enough heart right. Now SO i, Said i'm gonna Wear.
Speaker 4: DASHIKI'S i Wore dashiki for every playoff, game.
Speaker 1: You know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying and for, me it was a thing that this is our cultural. Heritage and when we went to The White house after, WINNING i warned them the whole time to the, point you, know we are people in the front, office how did you win A dashika?
Speaker 4: Tonight?
Speaker 5: MAN i got enough of these for the whole. Year Bro, Okay so let's. Roll we gonna we got, this so everybody looking for.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 5: Now when we go to The White house AND i Wear dashiki to The White house and the national media is, there it's a different, project all. Right, likewise WHEN i get, THERE i wrote a letter the night, before and the crazy part with, That i'm playing ping pong with my boy and it hits, me, man you better write that. Letter And i'm, thinking when it hit, ME i was HARKing back to WHEN i was in sixth, grade, man AND i was writing a letter to the. Mayor you hear, Me WHEN i was in, College i'm writing a letter to the congress, people And i'm, like you're.
Speaker 4: Going to the most important time in your, life sit you but down and.
Speaker 5: Write and the thing that for, me it was about us getting a chance to go with Special.
Speaker 4: Yes, lord you got. IT i told. HIM i told. HIM i told, him, yeah. Yeah, violation, violation.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah shot clock. Violation.
Speaker 6: Man, see you're, right you're writing this. Letter you headed to The White house the next. Day what's this letter consist.
Speaker 5: Of it's mainly asking the president to consider the issue as the poor, people you, Know i'm getting a chance to come to this great, edifice you, know and just to see the, power you, know and being a descendant of a former, SLAVE i would like you to consider the issues of poor people and people of color the same way you consider foreign. Policy you feel me and everybody took it as meaning, that, OH i.
Speaker 4: Wrote a letter a. Militant, LOOK i ain't never had no. WEAPONS i don't own no. GUNS i ain't never had no.
Speaker 5: GUN i shot A bb gun WHEN i was in sixth grade AND i shot a bird in the eye AND i looked at that AND i shot that bird and eye that bird failed on my, feet AND i started, crying AND i took that gun apart and threw it every PLACE i, could AND i, said that wouldn't happen.
Speaker 4: Again so for, me it ain't about being a.
Speaker 5: Militant it's about being able to stand on the principles THAT i was taught about and knowing that my hero Is Doctor king From, afar you, know and THEN i got to learn About. Malcolm BUT i vibe On Doctor king BECAUSE i don't like, violence.
Speaker 4: You, know AND i feel like there's no reason for.
Speaker 5: It the only reason for it is greed more than anything that those who have the ability and power to make weapons of. War it's about, greed it's not about. People and we can we can talk all of this we want. To but the reality for me was knowing That i'm getting a chance to go to The White. HOUSE i might not get a chance to come.
Speaker 4: Here we, know you win one, championship you don't know if you're gonna win, again.
Speaker 5: And to get a chance to go to let the president know, that you, know could you consider our?
Speaker 4: Issues and he was cool as a. Fan.
Speaker 3: Man you handed him this.
Speaker 4: Note, NO i couldn't hand it to.
Speaker 5: Him WHEN i GOT i told Her Tim hallian moves our press, PERSON i, SAID i wrote the president. Letter and then when he got, there he told him that one of our players has a letter you want to give to the, president but you can't hand him anything, direct you. Know SO i gave it to his press. Secretary but it's part of the library down In.
Speaker 1: Dallas so, man a lot of people don't.
Speaker 2: Know they wasn't offended by are worried about you putting people together and going shoot. People they was used to that you were shooting with your, mind and that's that's what offended There that's what they was worried.
Speaker 5: About and you know the crazy part that you say, that, man is that When i'm, Playing i'm communicating with. People, i'm LIKE i, Said i'm a talker AND i get excited about. Info so IF i get some information, Today i'm gonna try to share with.
Speaker 4: Y'all you feel me in.
Speaker 5: That and my, teammates The John paxton tell you trying to be like, Man hodge wasn't being preachy or. Nothing he was just wanting to share his info with, us and we was cool with him sharing it with. Us but when it comes to that information being being able to affect the bottom line or, something, right then it becomes a. Problem, right you know What i'm, Saying LIKE i tell y'all, Something remember when when the brothers were we IN i can't breathe, church all, Right we don't realize how much power we had right.
Speaker 1: Then we didn't me and you was in the. Field we was in the, field.
Speaker 5: Yes sell you In, chicago and it was it was wild to me to see how much how worried they were when they saw when they saw brothers with shirts talking ABOUT i can't breathe with them shirts on in their. Uniforms but have we said we're not taking these shirts off to show these uniforms until changes are.
Speaker 4: Made but the, bubble why did we? Go why did we go to the?
Speaker 5: Bubble AND i told people, THIS i, said regardless of what we want to look, at we have to realize how important THE nba is to the bottom line of.
Speaker 4: Economics all, RIGHT.
Speaker 5: Covid didn't start until old boy From utah started talking crazy with the.
Speaker 6: Mic THE nba shut the world down when it when, It when it went, down everything else followed and suit now.
Speaker 5: The crazy part, this this is a, funny funny part from.
Speaker 4: Me was the funny part for me was when we went into the. Bubble what did the bubble look like to? You you know what the bubble look like to? Me a video? Game it's a video.
Speaker 5: Game SO i, said, okay let's look at it like this. One if we can't get fans in the, stands we can get fans on our video. Games so we're gonna make this look it's much like a video, game and we're gonna get as many people on white two k's we can because we got to continue to make this bread.
Speaker 4: Out we can make this, bread y'all and it's. Cool it's.
Speaker 5: Cool so like with, THIS i know a lot of people that know me right now when y'all show, this AND i don't know how much you're gonna, cut but they gonna get worried about this, part this part right, here because for, me they're gonna worry About hodges all. RIGHT a lot of people worry About hodges because Of hodge.
Speaker 1: SPEAK i love.
Speaker 4: IT i can't help. IT i can help it IF i Get muzzle to help.
Speaker 1: It you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying that shut it?
Speaker 3: Down.
Speaker 4: Boom ain't nothing happening.
Speaker 5: Then but other than, that if you're gonna sit and talk to, me we got to talk about the reality of where we are and the reality of why we are.
Speaker 4: Here see every psyche right, now.
Speaker 5: The thing that's affecting every single person on the planet.
Speaker 4: Is Elon musk right, now just by going THROUGH US A I D.
Speaker 5: United states, Right international. Development that's critical of, us that's. CRITICAL i love. THIS i love, that oh all, day all. Day we love, that and.
Speaker 4: It would and we didn't have to worry about these. Matters BUT i gotta worry about.
Speaker 5: Them the REASON i gotta worry about him because ninety nine point nine percent of my people are not studying. This they're not even conscious of what's getting ready to come down the.
Speaker 4: Pipe. Okay and that's the part for, me is that.
Speaker 5: We who are making these billions of dollars and millions of, dollars, y'all we're getting ready to have a most vital.
Speaker 4: Role we're gonna have.
Speaker 5: More so we gonna be able to put our money where our mouths. Are, Now, okay it ain't gonna be no thing where somebody gonna be able to, say you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Getting back to the.
Speaker 5: Community, Okay, okay we're gonna, see we gonna, see we gonna see how much you're willing to give back when this thing goes down on the level that nobody.
Speaker 4: Has ever seen. Before All.
Speaker 5: Right the reason we ain't never seen it before is that we have never had the historical events that have happened In america happened In. America for, one have we ever been In america as black men and we set home and got?
Speaker 4: Paid? No did it happen IN Covid did it? Happen did we set at home and get? Paid? Never in?
Speaker 1: History?
Speaker 5: Right, okay we got we got Put look at this.
Speaker 4: The only people that are more brainwashed than. Us and maybe they're not because they're in their own. Land It's North. Korea we're the dumbest people on the. Planet you know. Why and it ain't, this ain't no This i'm talking about. ME i love being.
Speaker 5: Here my father was In Korean, war my uncles was In, vietnam my other uncles In.
Speaker 4: Germany SO i got tom you, know we got we got patriotic shit going on. Too but the patriotism from this end is one.
Speaker 5: THAT i gotta, work THAT i gotta do this, work and me doing the work has got to be able to tell to people who don't know and in these this right, here this medium was given for this moment in, time or we would not be sitting.
Speaker 4: There there ain't no, coincidences y'all. None so the.
Speaker 5: Fact that you've seeing my god, SON i was supposed to be In, frisco you're seeing all of this happens for a. Reason and the reason is more profound than we could ever think. About because the creative wrote the plan from the end till the, beginning and we're at this. Point but we can see by the markers in the. Sand we can see. It if you can't see. It if we can't check this, out if we can't see, it you don't want to see. It if you don't understand what TikTok, is you don't want to see, It black. Folks so WHEN i see my people battling on, TikTok that bothers. Me that bothers me because why are we battling for WHAT i thought we had? Grown so when we use these, mediums they have to come across with some positive things that are going to reconstruct our historical. Legacy it's been. Buried we got to reconstruct. It we gotta reinvigorate.
Speaker 4: It and we got to Recivilize, america Make america great. Again, okay when was it? Great not?
Speaker 1: Fuzz when was it?
Speaker 5: Great And i'm and let me say. Something and WHEN i say, That i'm not saying. That i'm saying that from give me that that mindset SO i will know BECAUSE i understand great over. HERE i had a great. CHILDHOOD i had a great poor. CHILDHOOD i had a great segregated childhood because we were taught to love one.
Speaker 4: Another and it wasn't no it takes the village to raise.
Speaker 1: It, no, no none of.
Speaker 4: That we was in the, hood and we were, neighbors so its.
Speaker 5: Neighborhood now they ain't don't nobody know their neighbor and don't care.
Speaker 4: To and That's. America and that's the problem with.
Speaker 1: Me is.
Speaker 5: That, Okay, craig you were taught you were blessed by your mom with a certain thing on her. Mind because your mother saw while she was nine seven six months, pregnant she saw dogs being sicked on her, people she saw pictures of people being. Lynched that was going through her to, Me, now what AM i supposed to do with?
Speaker 1: That just?
Speaker 5: Hoop just hoop, hoop is what they Tell, lebron shut up and.
Speaker 4: Dribble Whoa how cold was? That how cold was?
Speaker 5: That and the cold part of it is how many people think about us like that was lot in so many, circles in so many circles are saw we are seeing as a tool of, oppression.
Speaker 4: A medium to keep.
Speaker 5: Us looking at goals that are. Unattainable in nineteen seventy, eight WHEN i graduated from high, school they said one in fifty two thousand children had a chance to be a professional athlete on any. Level that's nineteen seventy. Eight what is it now with the.
Speaker 4: Internet you feel. Me your, sons your, twins they got. It, man how many they got to battle?
Speaker 5: Against you, Know so when we look at this and you Know i'm to, ramble not to, ramble but once, again LIKE i, said y'all invited. ME i thank y'all and to be able to get this out off of my, chest you feel.
Speaker 4: Me because of, consequences people, say, man what? Man that jump shot at The White? House that cost me fifty? Million fifty?
Speaker 5: Million at least we ain't even talk about investment capital IF i can get IF i get a million AND i buy a million in.
Speaker 4: Gold but it.
Speaker 5: Ain't John, carlos one of my, heroes had a chance to talk to and to know what he went.
Speaker 4: Through wife so despondent.
Speaker 5: Commit suicide after nineteen sixty, eight and his brother ran his best win for the, country but stood for his people. Too and, see and then it becomes the, thing are We? Americans are We? Americans SHOULD i get backlash for being able to tell what y'all taught? Me y'all, say go to, school read, learn, RIGHT i go to, school read interpret WHAT i read in a certain, manner go out and live my life in that manner THAT i read and that y'all said was cool Because i'm. Free but then it becomes a problem because now WHEN i say and write a letter to the president at thirty two years of, AGE i can't get an agent to represent me in a union that is supposed to represent. Us Charlie, granther who's the head of the union at the, time WHEN i go to The White, house he tells, Me, craig we have to find an agent that a team owes a favor so they'll know that you're not a bad. Guy AND i, Quote i'll never forget. That And i'm, Like, charlie WHAT i do?
Speaker 4: WRONG i won Two world.
Speaker 5: CHAMPIONSHIPS i got three consecutive three titles right now in my, pocket AND i can't get a.
Speaker 4: Job what DID i? Do i've never been fined Since i've been in the.
Speaker 5: LEAGUE i never missed a. BUS i was playing a rep as a. Rookie that's unheard. Of i've been playing rep for every TEAM i played. For where is the badness in? That once, again those who control the. Narrative so the narrative of me going to The White house in this, manner me having the audacity to write the president of a, letter which until probably five or six years, ago nobody asked.
Speaker 4: Me what was in the? Letter, no, yo, man what did you?
Speaker 1: Write?
Speaker 4: THEN i look at MY i look At Colin, kaepernick the position that he. Took the union made concessions for him to get a. Workout at least if that had told me to come work, OUT, iu it wudn't worked out. Anywhere. Stuff you feel me wrong? ANYWHERE i don't. Care bring y'all. Do this is WHAT i want to. DO i ain't gonna have no demands on Who i'm going to need here to just work. Out, no let me go work, out because this is What i'll.
Speaker 5: Do and y'all taking away from me the ability to earn a living for my family and the generations. Thereof and All i'm saying is to, commissioner should he see, this to all those who were his underlings or in this social justice or.
Speaker 4: WHATEVER i ain't got no.
Speaker 5: ANIMOSITY i got, love AND i got love and energy for this knowledge base and what my ancestors went. Through SO i vibe on. That so when y'all see, this this is me. Hooping now you feel my hoop is my. Research my research is being able to make sure that if somebody has some questions about, This i'm able to at least give a valid, answer and IF i, Can't i'm going to research and find. It so next time you see, Me i'm gonna have to answer for, you, bro so that we can move forward from wherever you stuck on trying to figure out whatever it. Is we can find the answer for it if we sit down and we unite.
Speaker 4: Ourselves there's already. Done sorry to round brothers.
Speaker 2: Enjoining. It that's the free GAME i. WANTED i don't even KNOW i was about To where do we go from? There DAMN i had a question for. You damn.
Speaker 6: It that's, LIKE i take you a step, back, OLD i gotta remember this. QUESTION i got to give me a come. Around, yeah give me a.
Speaker 2: Second during that time WHEN i seen you In, chicago what were your thoughts OF i.
Speaker 4: Was so scared for. You you don't know SCARED i was for, You.
Speaker 1: BRO i think he told me that you.
Speaker 4: Don't know SCARED i was for, you all?
Speaker 5: Right and it was some sisters standing, THERE i, say, says look up. There have you ever seen anything like? That where you standing in?
Speaker 4: Here we is on the west, side right, yeap, okay west side west. Side, now no quasi west. Side that's.
Speaker 2: Regentrificating, no, okay somebody that just got killed a couple of days.
Speaker 5: Before We, now, bro let me show you something. Sad see one thing about. Me i've been talked by some great brothers on just little, things. Okay and the first THING i do, IS i, Look, Okay i'm looking where you're getting ready to come.
Speaker 4: Into what do we see? Around?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 3: Home?
Speaker 4: Girl let me ask you. Something, says look over there and look upstairs over? There what you?
Speaker 1: See she?
Speaker 4: Said, hey that's? WEIRD i, say what's weird about?
Speaker 1: It she?
Speaker 4: Said why is? It two white men standing up there in that?
Speaker 1: Window?
Speaker 4: Okay all? Right now five minutes later a suit show up in the window that. Day, Okay NOW i know this THOUGH.
Speaker 5: I know, THIS i KNOW i work for you feel. ME i KNOW i work for and it ain't even know it's.
Speaker 4: Cool so now WHEN i see, Him i'll let them SEE i see.
Speaker 5: Him me and my boy we walk over there and we look up at.
Speaker 4: Him, yeah we see y'all.
Speaker 5: Gone, back, okay and see all of this is, chaos, Bro all of this is, chaos all, right Understand, chicago take it for what it's worth and then watching take it for what it's. Worth BUT i know at that point in time the way y'all was, moving y'all was. Moving y'all was, moving AND i was worried about our.
Speaker 4: Heart y'all was. Moving you follow, me not not worried.
Speaker 5: About the final, result but my people who are standing on something that may be in harm's, way because, man it's no other way but to do.
Speaker 1: It AND i had no. CLUE i was blind to a lot of.
Speaker 4: Stuff but see once, again.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That whole, move, bro you have heard Of George.
Speaker 5: Soros, Yes, okay, study we just had to study the bottom line that they taught.
Speaker 4: Us you know what they taught. Us the lesson they taught us best one lesson followed the. Money it's gonna tell. You it's gonna tell.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 4: Okay everybody who is big has a original.
Speaker 5: Backer, okay THEN i go operate outside of. That, okay you can find it out if you want to look at.
Speaker 4: It hid To OPRAH. Rv, Grifflin michael Brother. Night, okay look at these m Hm now our Operational.
Speaker 5: DO i operate outside of that ONCE i get that, big or DO i still HAVE i got To, okay what you want to, do all? Right and that's where we are right, now is, that, hey, Man and it's a fear. Factor, Fear fear of speaking because your bread might stop.
Speaker 3: Flowing fear then of you.
Speaker 4: Speaking you know WHAT i heard WHEN i wasn't. Playing he can't play. Defense NBA's team. Defense ain't nobody stopping no one. Person he.
Speaker 5: Can't, OKAY i can't play d all, right what's the next? One what's what's the next? One what's the real?
Speaker 4: Reason i'm a locker room? Lawyer for? Real that's. That but, Okay i'm a locker room. Lawyer but do anybody shoot like?
Speaker 5: Me and that's that's the funny part about it to, me is that you, know we're talking about putting a ball in the.
Speaker 4: Basket that's, simplicity that's simplicity thinking about ways to change the condition of our. People. Mhm it ain't even it ain't even. Close it ain't even. Close that's WHY i say, basketball, man, please we can shoot all day and we know we know we're good over.
Speaker 5: Here children take, care, generations taking care of peace in the.
Speaker 4: World, man let's go. Hoop but until, that, man we gotta put in some. Study, time but in some study.
Speaker 1: Time that's WHY i.
Speaker 5: Felt like during THAT covid period he gave us the greatest opportunity to study and research, still, Man and, that's like you, say that's one of the hardest things for. It and in, wisdom, man in wisdom is to be able to sit still and know that anything that became great or moving towards greatness is done in. Patience you got to be, patient you, know be, patient be patient with the.
Speaker 4: Process you. Know and it's a. Process this is a. Process it's a process that y'all get this. Going it was basketball, first you know What i'm. Saying and then once.
Speaker 5: Again it began with a thought y'all brother sitting down somewhere, saying yea, man.
Speaker 4: We could do.
Speaker 5: That let's do that, shit and then pop off and all of a, sudden you got, staff you, hire got, people you're.
Speaker 4: Feeding people were able to, say, Man i'm with.
Speaker 5: Them that is Powerful and that's the part that it's so needed and necessary for this next generation to see that is more than me going to jack, somebody me selling this or me selling. That we have become such a transactional people THAT i got to get to next hit as opposed to being a, transition that it's a transitional mindset That i'm going from this point And i'm gonna be at this point And i'm gonna be solid at this point and being able to look back and, say, Damn i'm a professional. Now AND i tell people it's a bed when they put that pro whether you be a lawyer or, doctor, whatever when they put that pro in front of your, nation you didn't did some. Stuff you didn't put in some, work and you've been patient with the process to get.
Speaker 4: There and so many of us.
Speaker 5: Are and that's WHAT i tell like my baby, boy AND i love it that he totally anti. TikTok all that he about researching his music is GoF he's doing, That And i'm, like, kudos, bro because as long as you, continue you, KNOW i love messing. Words you, know knowledge two, words no.
Speaker 4: Ledge as long As i'm Thinking i'm going, up ain't gonna father. Off ain't no.
Speaker 5: Ledge so as long as we working and, STUDYING i ain't gonna fall ain't no How because.
Speaker 4: The hard the thing that you, know when you, play you, playing you're, playing somebody just bust you. Up and then you do. This you feel me ain't not no thoughts down.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: Man once you look, up the whole world.
Speaker 6: Change so, basically that letter to the president changed your life and your, career no.
Speaker 5: QUESTION i went from being the eighth player on the team and minute score and minutes play and points scored to the last player on the team and still won another three point.
Speaker 6: Title but you also told me after the, fact a lot of your brothers or former colleagues told you they felt bad because they left, you no, doubt oh by. Yourself, yes that explain. That and if you want to share name school if, Not but what did that mean to you after the.
Speaker 5: Fact, yeah it's one of those things where and once again it's the realization that we were where we were at that time nineteen ninety. ONE i was thirty one years, old you know What i'm. Saying and some the young brothers THAT i was talking today is in their, twenties, man and not having done the research or. Whatever SO, i, MAN i appreciate the. APOLOGY i appreciate all of. That i'm, not you, know not That i'm looking forward to, anything but knowing that now in your, wisdom you're seeing, it and you're seeing it for what it was that a brother was trying to share information with, you and the same information THAT i was sharing to you back.
Speaker 4: Then now you on it, now and you on. It you know What i'm, saying to the point where you.
Speaker 5: Call me and, man excited about, stuff And i'm, like, yeah, brother right, Ho i'm. Glad i'm glad you moving because that's what it, is, man is to be able to get information and keep moving in it and not get. Stuck but at the same time knowing that how much how much could we have done with that, time during that period of time had we got on board.
Speaker 4: With the info that we was talking. About and for, me it's, like, Okay i'm not not once, Again i'm a child of the most.
Speaker 5: Time, MAN i ain't trying to be no none of. No i'll try me as me and that's ALL i can is.
Speaker 4: Me So i'm. NOT i love researching AND i love to be able.
Speaker 5: To shed that information BECAUSE i know it's gonna be needed and necessary in the next couple of. Days so that when our people look and, say how the hell did we get where we're, at somebody gonna be able to tell. Them, yo let me show y'all. This, okay it started back. Here, okay we're going on the gold standard just so y'all. Know, okay so that nineteen seventy one When nixon took us off the gold standard is coming, back all. Right so all this stuff you see With trump And Elon musk and, man it's the wild. Part everybody he picked on his staff is. Billionaires all. Right one THING i had to give them credit.
Speaker 4: For they know how to move these, things all. Right now this other THING i gotta tell you on the flip side of, that.
Speaker 5: If you're a billionaire In america, today you just stepped on a bunch of.
Speaker 4: People, okay you didn't do it the right.
Speaker 1: Way yeah you didn't.
Speaker 5: That now you can be feeling. Flopping, Now i'm a, humanitary and it's. Money how billionaires get? Billionaires humanitarian?
Speaker 4: Awards come on in, here, Oh. Joey, yeah he did a great.
Speaker 5: Job he gave a million, dollars but he just made four billion off of poor people In asia Or.
Speaker 4: Africa you. Know so things are. Flipping things are, flipping and it's flipping for the better because people who have heretofore had minerals, underfoot they have not been able to get him from under their.
Speaker 5: Feet and now it's a different. World it's a different day In. America regardless to how bright we may make this, thing we've been very bad to the, neighbors whether it be here or broad and now not Like malcolm, said chicken someon on the, roofs but we better get ready for some rough times as far as, economics because the dollar compared to other currencies is.
Speaker 4: Going to go to the opposite direction and we got to be ready for.
Speaker 2: It the revolution to televised, now, WOW i. THINK i, mean we talk about Our, tom But, kendrick that was bigger Than. Drake if you paid attention to it was way bigger Than.
Speaker 5: Drake and that's the part where you, know that's WHERE i feel like the beefing part comes in so that you won't see.
Speaker 1: That that's Exactly that's WHY i said that it was it.
Speaker 2: Was drake was a small part of if you look at, it if you knew what he, was all the stuff that he was talking about in that, Performance drake was a very small part of.
Speaker 6: It you were able to get one more championship in ninety, two and then you were way released and then you sue THE nba in ninety.
Speaker 3: Six can you share what that was.
Speaker 1: About, yeah it.
Speaker 4: Was SO i get a.
Speaker 5: Call i've been Calling commissioner's office and at that, time the the head security guy Was Horace. Bomber And horace calls me back, LIKE i ain't did shit?
Speaker 4: Wrong what you calling?
Speaker 5: Me i'm calling to see what's going. ON i was calling it as the. Commissioner why AM i being stole all? That every TIME i can't get an, AGENT i can't get a team to talk to. Me Text, winner who had and worked in the league For damnar forty. Years every team he, called don't, darting nobody call him. Back and he, said this is the first Time craig and my career THAT i didn't call teams on the player behalf and they ain't even call me. Back so he suggested to, Me, craig is time for you to start. Coaching so at that point in, TIME i called the league to ask, him, yo, man what's going? On And horace calls me back And i'm, Like, yo what you calling me? For, Well i'm trying to find out what's going. On i'm, LIKE i just want to find out Why i'm being, stonewalled and he was, like, well it ain't nothing like.
Speaker 4: THAT i.
Speaker 5: WILL i, say, WELL i need to give me an, attorney and he was, like, well you don't need to do, that and then the phone clicked AND i was like. Okay so at that point in, TIME i decided to get an. Attorney, now the brother THAT i GETS i get out Of, chicago name Was David. Odham didn't realize at that time he was trying to do things with the league and as far as represent.
Speaker 4: Players all, Right SO i never got A Dan court all.
Speaker 5: Right even THOUGH i was in under litigation FOR i guess almost two years or, WHATEVER i never went to court and it was finally dismissed because the statue of limitations for racial discriminate racial discrimination claim is two years, now in nineteen ninety, Two june nineteen ninety, two going in the, championship, right we're in, Layups i'm an active. Player soon as that season was, OVER i had to file that suit that day or the clock started.
Speaker 4: Ticking you didn't, KNOW i didn't.
Speaker 1: Know you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying so once, again and you know, what the response to me on that one was just because you're ignorant to, it don't make you immune to.
Speaker 1: It And i'm, like, Cool i'm.
Speaker 6: Good, nah, no, mm let's get back BEFORE i want to obviously touch on you're giving so much gems on the on the dark, side but you are a three times. Champ talk to us about that three point contest and why it was the fourth time three in a, row.
Speaker 5: Three in a, row and then the fourth TIME i didn't. Win the fourth time the last TIME i got to, GO i wasn't with a team and they let me.
Speaker 1: Participate he's a four time. Champ.
Speaker 6: Yeah so so with, that no one else has ever done it IN nba, history and yet no one really knows that, either.
Speaker 5: Right and that's you, KNOW i think part of it, is you, know the ability to you, Know Jim brown said to, me and love love him as.
Speaker 4: Well he told, me, say, man the.
Speaker 5: Professional sports teams control the. Media AND i was, like, Okay then you finally see it when you get. Older you see how certain certain teams have certain media people that they aligned to to get their message out or send out little debs or. Whatever and for, ME i think that that's what it bore down to that THE nba realized that WHAT i did at The White house or, whatever it wasn't in conjunction with what they. Wanted but at the same time it was one of the things that you can't deny What i've done as far as shooting of. Basketball you, know to this, DAY i don't think anybody competed in more three point contest THAN i. DID i lost probably the person, four you, know To, larry and THEN i Think Dale ellis might have, won and THEN i won my.
Speaker 4: Three but you, know it was one of those, things.
Speaker 5: Man for, me is just a competition of knowing that this is something THAT i love to do shoot the, ball but at the same time to be in a competition of, it that's pretty. Cool and to be able to put up some records and to be able to know, that you, know at that point in, time at a point in, HISTORY i could say THAT i was the best shoot on the. Planet, well for, me it's three parts of your. Shot, foundation form and follow. Through you know What i'm, saying and to be able to know how to rhythmically do, that to do it, off to, dribble to do it, off to catch to what are you? Looking one of the first THINGS i ask somebody is what are you looking at when you?
Speaker 4: Shoot you know What i'm?
Speaker 5: Saying so for, ME i look at probably six inches above the. Rim that's What i'm focused. On and if it's off, glass it's six inches off the, glass six inches above the rim off. Glass that every no ball can go in that rim unless it's at least whether you're duncan it or, not you got to have you got to have at least that much. Clearance so my thing is WHEN i hear people Say i'm looking at you, know young folks Saying i'm looking at the back of the. Rim you couldn't be looking at the back of the rim because you're not twelve feet, tall so you're looking under the. Rim so probably ninety percent of your shots are gonna hit front rim because your eye is focused and your ball is gonna go where your eye tells it to. Go SO i don't care who you shooting. With when you, look that's where your ball is gonna. Go, now whether, enough you put enough energy or, whatever that's what they all you're looking. At and that's the part WHERE i tell people in as far as how you plan, IS i was blessed to have. Text LIKE i, Said text taught me to play with a three foot cushion around, me and that at three FEET i don't care if you should kill. O'Neil IF i go into my. Jay by the time you react to, that it's gonna be too fucking.
Speaker 4: Late excuse My. French you know What i'm. Saying it's gonna be gone and you're gonna might.
Speaker 5: Might clap my hand or. Whatever but by that point my ball is already. Gone so in teaching, IT i teach, that you, know, foundation, form follow. THROUGH i can act say that When i'm. Shooting so WHEN i go into MY i like to shoot out of a two to foot jump stop you feel, Me So i'm hopping into my shot AS i go into.
Speaker 1: It that's.
Speaker 5: Foundation i'm gonna say. That AS i go, Up i'm into, form and WHEN i, Finish i'm in to follow. Through and WHEN i say follow, through the ball that's coming through the net and it's. Nothing and when you teach children that get gases them because they swearing up and down that when they watch you, shoot that this is some type of magic.
Speaker 1: Trick.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: No and the way THAT i found the way THAT i teach that is that WHEN i was in a three point, competition one ball THAT i shot with a, moneyball it went through and WHEN i was watching the slow. Motion it had the same amount of space all the way around the. Rim so the ball was right in the center of the target and it was the same amount of space around. It SO i rewound that back to see WHAT i did on that particular.
Speaker 4: Shot and WHAT i. DID i brought it out the, RACK i went into my HOT i went into my, farm AND i went into my follow through AND i started saying it at that point and from you, know LIKE i, said for, me it's being able to like people will laugh when we will be watching Take WHEN i was with the, Bulls oh look at how over there He jones.
Speaker 5: And RIGHT mj would have a ball on the other side of the, court And i'm in this corner over here And i'm in my triple threat. Position go if, waiting if you get, it, man, man you know What i'm, saying. Man and so it's a picture with me and M. J and it's looking like he's talking in my ear and people, like, man what was he saying to? You, no this is WHAT i was saying to. Him give me the, ball, man you real.
Speaker 4: Me and that's because if you throw it over, here if you throw it over, here it's gonna be good eighty five to ninety percent of the time with our question That i'm not And i'm not gonna miss open that was that that ain't. Happened That, no now somebody running at, me maybe me coming off my tap too early and not getting got not getting this. Cocked and that's one of the things THAT i want you to tell your children, is, man this is so.
Speaker 3: CRITICAL i want you to teach.
Speaker 5: Them, yeah this is critical right, here that this happens so, much all, Right AND i call that rolling into your. Shot so we'll have people start here and you'll see them and when they finally get to the, top this. Happened AND i tell, them once you at the, top bring that. Down bring that. Down and now you're into your triple. Threat so if you watch, cold get that, THING, mj get that thing they on you feel. Me and now when you, turn it's already. There it's already. There you're already, loaded you know What i'm. Saying so being able to make sure that you work on that all the. Time you work on that all the, time you, know and that this here and once, again how DO i make sure THAT i minimize the of the amount of error that can.
Speaker 4: Occur all.
Speaker 5: Right ONCE i take this, out this can't. Happen so that's not gonna. Be that's not gonna be in my. Shot, LIKEWISE i want to make sure that when my ball, starts my ball never drops.
Speaker 4: Below my core. Ever.
Speaker 5: Ever i'm never bringing my ball down and take it. Up, never, never, never because when I'm i'm always gonna make sure that my core is beneath my.
Speaker 4: Ball my core is holding my, ball not my ball holding my.
Speaker 5: Core i'm underneath. It i'm underneath that thing every. Time so now this is a. Platform my core sets the platform for my, elbow and then we up and the way we're up and the way so on. Catch I'm i'm creating my rhythm off that, pass all. Right that rhythm off the pass is just like me off my.
Speaker 4: Dribble SO i go off my drill into my hot and by the time my feet come, down my wrist is cocked And i'm gone where a lot.
Speaker 5: Of people come down or people going to a one count. Stride stop you feel me If i'm playing against a person that has a one count, stride stop going left to right to. Shoot ONCE i can gauge That i'm not letting you get that right for full all, right we played Against Andrew, tony who's one of the greatest scores for The philadelphia seventy six. Ers we're playing them in the playoffs In, milwaukee and once, again you, Know nellie's stickler for. Tape so we watching tape and we watched him give The lakers thirty and it won't won't too wo.
Speaker 4: Man we were, like, oh that's all we gotta. Do, Man we ain't doing nothing but riding that right.
Speaker 5: Side every time he got ready to come to a, stop no jump on that right, arm and he oh. No because as, players we know what is our comfort. Zone you feel, me and If i'm going into a one count stride stop in the first quarter in the fourth, quarter it's not going to be nearly as strong with Us josslyn around and, Shit.
Speaker 6: So you're some one of the things the two foot is for the jump shooter is.
Speaker 1: Better, yeah and.
Speaker 4: It's another reason for it that IF i catch this thing.
Speaker 3: Off teach one not to cut you.
Speaker 6: OFF a lot of people teach the one too is too.
Speaker 4: Slow checked this, Out James. Brown we on the one with the hop you know you're on one. Two so how is that.
Speaker 5: Faster so WHEN i got with The clippers as a, rookie we're doing the turnout. Drill, Right i'm coming off this thing and my ball going to the rack so quick they can't figure it. Out everybody else is coming out. There one, Two i'm coming around there as that ball is. Coming i'm turning my end the. Shoulder let it. Go so it ain't, no it ain't no me turning WHEN i get the. Ball i'm already. Turning you feel. Me and that's the difference That i'm. Saying, okay, now IF i catch this ball and that camera is coming at me And i'm catching a one kind of stride, Stop i'm locked with my pivot foot. Man and the way these kids got these, TAPS i can tap and act Like i'm going into my, Hop i'm stilling in.
Speaker 4: IT i ain't stilling. Ready NOW i got my three feet and let it.
Speaker 5: Ride AND i tell, people you look at Step steph's not shooting that thing from forty feet off of one.
Speaker 4: Leg he's shooting that thing off a two foot.
Speaker 5: Jump stop is just happening so, quick and he's launching knowing that my follow three from forty is going.
Speaker 4: To be down. Here not up.
Speaker 5: Here so when he's shooting that thing and he finished in, time you're with. It And i'm telling, Kids i'm not leaving my. Shot i'm staying with it TILL i see the ball go through the. Net if my ball is bouncing around the, Rim i'm bouncing with.
Speaker 4: It i'm bouncing with. It i'm bouncing with it till it, fall and Then i'm done with.
Speaker 5: It never, never, never my eyes on that six inch. Point so WHEN i catch that thing And i'm ninety four feet away in full core, pressure my defense in front of, Me i'm still looking at that six inch.
Speaker 4: POINT i can see. You you feel. Me, now when you get up in, ME i gotta.
Speaker 5: TURN i might look at you for a, second But i'm back at my six inch point because that's WHERE i want this thing to finally.
Speaker 4: Go you feel. Me and the MORE i keep my head and eyes, up the MORE i can see.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: Early it's like going into a gun shot into a gunfight. Blindfolded so many kids come off of that jack do all, this and now you're raising.
Speaker 4: Up now you're trying to find your. Target all, RIGHT i find my.
Speaker 5: TARGET i find my, target and then like in the, league we, think, create.
Speaker 4: Eliminade ONCE i create my, SPACE i eliminate. Defender you feel, me create my three, feet eliminate, them create three, feet eliminated. Them catch off Catch if they're, there it's too. Late you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying and that's that's the part where it's all about putting in the practice and knowing, that trusting in the process of what you're. Doing, so like you, said how my, sons my oldest boy all time three point shooter At Long Beach state.
Speaker 4: When he was in high. School they're trying to tell him to shoot. Differently he. Came he's been doing this since he came out the roomb, Dude so they do you feel? Me don't try to change.
Speaker 5: It and the thing about it, IS i guarantee you if get them to look at them sites that we're talking, about all, right so, many so many children are still looking at rim or they Looking i'm looking at the hangar that, no no look at because ONCE i in the, RAY i found out THAT i taught. Myself that was WHEN i was growing up on the school. Ground the light would go down from the sun AND i could only shoot on this end where AND i was seeing nothing but the line because it wasn't on. Net SO i was just trying to put my ball over that, line over that, line over that, line over that, line.
Speaker 4: And not come. Out that line is six inches above your.
Speaker 5: Target and now it's all about training your eye where you're not looking at no. Rim i'm not looking at the rim no. More i'm looking at that point in. Space and if that ball goes on that, point that it's going. In and we know that two balls can fit in the basket at one, time so why SHOULD i miss?
Speaker 1: One m.
Speaker 2: Hmm were you in that three point contest when Lad bird, said h how y'all?
Speaker 1: Doing but who coming in? Second?
Speaker 4: This this that's the very first. One that's the, one that's the first one they ever.
Speaker 1: Had, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: So you know how they do THE. Nba you come to take the pictures and all. That you're getting ready to take the, pictures, right so everybody, Waiting No larry to.
Speaker 1: Come in right.
Speaker 4: Sitting, there sitting, there bust the dophin walk.
Speaker 5: Around you might do a little. Something, yeah, naw you ain't gonna. Know you shot yourself out of warm. Ups talking about Leon, wood he, said you shot yourself. Out, yeah who comes a, second let's take the picture.
Speaker 4: And then take off his sweat.
Speaker 1: Jacket, yeah he did not take his jacket.
Speaker 4: Off he takes jacket. Off BUT i tell, people where'd you?
Speaker 3: PLACE i came?
Speaker 4: In he beat? Me he beat me that, there he beat. Me actually the first, year.
Speaker 5: The very first, ROUND i set a. RECORD i made twenty five points in that very first. Round, ever then we went to the second round and me And Dale ellis, tie so we had to have a.
Speaker 4: Shootout that shootout got my. Legs and THEN i went to the finals And bertie got.
Speaker 5: Me but, yeah he's bird, talking AND i love it Because bertie talked and he backed, up you know What i'm. Saying but at the same, time it was always a thing where a jump shooter would never, win AND i was, like, nah, Man i'm gona in.
Speaker 1: It at some.
Speaker 5: Point it's just LIKE i, said trust the process and stay with. It so every YEAR i THINK i might've been in the eight.
Speaker 4: Times you, know m.
Speaker 3: Favorite part about playing With mike.
Speaker 5: Knowing that every time you walk into arena it's gonna be, packed you know What i'm, Saying and it ain't no. Better y'all, know y'all, know and like and knowing that it was like with being being with the beatles of. Somebody man that every every place you, go we would drop him j off around the corner before we get to. Hotels, man he'd get in the white vand and come through the different hotel and we come bus pull up in front of the.
Speaker 4: Hotel three hundred people out there waiting for him to get off the.
Speaker 3: Bus ain't man, here.
Speaker 4: Y'all standing there waiting in, here, man you.
Speaker 5: Know SO i would they would laugh BECAUSE i would call him the, president you know What i'm. Saying BECAUSE i was, like, dude we were be in snowstorms flying we never we, never we never went around, ever.
Speaker 4: And it's like we ain't gonna fly.
Speaker 5: Around we got a national treasure on board the getting us out.
Speaker 6: There you feel, me please? Please what was he? LIKE i mean we saw a side on on the last. Dance what was?
Speaker 1: It what was he? Like day to?
Speaker 4: Day he mj was, different different cat. Man you Know and do you you've played? Around?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he different.
Speaker 4: Dude some day some days he be m, Jake he laugh and go. Lucky then there might be some business shit on his. Head you know What i'm. Saying he come in.
Speaker 5: Different but the one thing when he strapped him, up he was coming to get, down you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying AND i.
Speaker 5: Love that because that's the competition that we look, for is every day making each other. Better SO i told, people, yeah y'all see HIM j getting, Down that's Because i'm mak him better every, day you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying so it's one.
Speaker 5: Of those things that to and and to see how you, know you coming to the league and you'd be, like you, know getting your feet wet or, whatever and you see how some people come into or with a certain and they have the green light to do it. Too so you, know you HEAR mj tail Phil, man you know What i'm, saying where other people are, like oh.
Speaker 4: Man but it's one of.
Speaker 5: Them things where it's a certain level ground that he has compared to other, players and you know What i'm, saying and that it was a hierarchy to, it and he understood, that he understood what he brought to the, table what he brought to the, team what he brought to the, organization and what could what he could do with. That you know how much how many freebies he got from?
Speaker 4: That you know What i'm, saying driving free ferraris getting houses built for, you all that type of, Stuff so it's not you, know it was one of those things that he could handle, it and he handled, IT i guess as best as anybody, could because nobody ever been. There you know What i'm, saying.
Speaker 3: A favorite part about coaching code.
Speaker 5: Just to see how like you were, saying how in your, case how he saw how to help you get off when you didn't have it in your hand.
Speaker 4: Right and he told, me, say, man HOW i checked this.
Speaker 5: Out IF i can get everybody to play at their, greatest Not kobe, great but their, own ain't nobody gonna beat? Us and to, me that was something THAT i never would SEE. Mj do you feel me if you got better with? THEM, j you got, Better it wasn't never gonna be like man, brother Where cob would give you kudos if you getting better THAT i. Didn't you, KNOW i didn't see. THAT i didn't feel that with, HIM. J i was around, them And i've seen how many players went the other direction because of how you demoralized them with this, bravado you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying where it was not.
Speaker 5: Unnecessary you didn't have to do that to, that, brother because it's a. Dirt and that's the thing is that it's a dirt certain and different mentality and personality that we deal with. Too that some players are hardcore and can deal with, it but other players going to.
Speaker 4: Back up and you, know subside to.
Speaker 1: It quick.
Speaker 3: Hitters first team to come to.
Speaker 6: Mind let us, know rank your top Five chicago hoopers?
Speaker 4: Ever oh got top five hoopers In? Chicago?
Speaker 5: Ever Billy harris who you probably you. Know billy played At Northern. Illinois he was a great. SHOOTER i had to Put Ben wilson in.
Speaker 4: There And.
Speaker 5: Mitchell anderson played in the league For. Utah he averaged forty four game in my senior year in high. School isaiah and probably mm.
Speaker 4: Hmmm Quinn Buckner Wann. Buckner Quinn quinn might be number. One you. Know he was the number one high school football and basketball.
Speaker 3: Player he played both.
Speaker 4: Quarterback IN.
Speaker 1: Qb he was at WHEN i was playing for the.
Speaker 4: Place, yeah, man he Was indiana. Game he played football and Basketball. Indiana Tobobbi knight told me you had to.
Speaker 1: Quit. Yep he was like, that telling you man that.
Speaker 5: Man they high school, team Thorn Ridge High. School They quinn went to they lost one game in two. Years, okay they were their average scoring margin.
Speaker 4: Thirty points a.
Speaker 3: Game n smacking.
Speaker 5: People And i'm talking About i'm talking about where the high school, Team Bloom High. SCHOOL i sat there at half court and watched them play against Thorn. Ridge they got the ball across half court four times in one. Half they're gonna press, you, Man and it wasn't even, ball Wasn't eve getting across half.
Speaker 4: Court, man And quinn was in the middle PLAYING Qb.
Speaker 1: Crazy five dinner Against Dead.
Speaker 4: Alive ah uh, yeah sure the Christ. One uh Probably Muhammed.
Speaker 8: Mansimosa with Your Black man Ever Marcus, Garvey Marcus, garvey my guy In.
Speaker 1: Noble.
Speaker 3: My one album you can play with no?
Speaker 4: Skips how does In July Stevie Steve.
Speaker 5: WONDER i used to play that in, college, Man AND i wouldn't miss a jump of the whole, album with the.
Speaker 1: Whole the whole.
Speaker 9: ALBUM i wished the jumper the whole heard album one, selection let the whole thing miss.
Speaker 4: ONE i ain't miss no. Jumpers i'm telling.
Speaker 5: YOU i would go in The Long Beach State gym by myself at night SO i would see you like with me the brothers always try to get me go to, parties, Right SO i dip in the, party act LIKE i got a, drink and soon as they turn it, Back i'm.
Speaker 4: Gone right they coming from the, Party i'm coming back. From, Man why you ain't tell? US i didn't come here with you to tell, You so it's that for you to do, too you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying so that would, MAN i was going there and y'all remember the y'all probably too, young remember the eight track players with the.
Speaker 4: Plunger that was me and my track. Player no, missus, Man i'm telling, YOU i wish and that and that would be My that would be my.
Speaker 5: Thing was how how many how long in the SONG i could go without?
Speaker 4: Missing how many SONGS i could? Go you feel me THAT i could.
Speaker 5: DO i could do three four songs that are three four minutes long without.
Speaker 3: Missing absolutely the. Mindset you know What i'm, saying.
Speaker 4: Don't count you Know i'll go.
Speaker 5: BY i go about how wet my shirt, was THAT i couldn't leave until a great shirt was wet all the way.
Speaker 1: Down to the. Bottom you feel.
Speaker 5: Me my high school that's why my high school, GYM i would my junior, YEAR i found out THAT i could tape the door shut in the gym right and it was a hollow point under the.
Speaker 4: DOOR i could bring a hanger and just pull the door.
Speaker 5: Open SO i did this for like a month and a half and then the janitor came around about nine thirty one, night see me in, there, like, boy how you getting?
Speaker 4: Here i'm not telling. You he's, like, no you gotta tell. Me if you tell, me then you could just come to all, Right i'm gonna tell. You AND i showed.
Speaker 5: Him he's, like, boy just come to the boiler room And i'll let you. In SO i would go every night and, shoot you, know by. Myself and the thing THAT i did was that you know and that you know Boy Willie burton will ye he does the thing on mental. Illness so we was At All star weekend last year and he was, saying how for us to pursue what we, do we have to be mentally ill.
Speaker 4: Because it ain't no. Outcome you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying you doing this, training, training, training and it ain't necessarily ain't nothing on the other end of. That so you have to have some type Of so for, me, MAN i would go in to gym WHEN i was in high school AND i would throw the ball up at half court AND i would play a whole game by. Myself you feel me going up and. Down ONCE i laid, UP i slide back on, defense slide back on, defense sprint led, up go to the free throw, line shoot.
Speaker 4: Too IF i, MISSED i got a. Suicide you know What i'm.
Speaker 5: Saying so just being able to make it WHERE i could be in total concentration for two and a half hours if need, be all, Right Steve fisher taught me how to do it for three and a half. Hours and that shit came in hand you WHEN i got with Down. Nelson you show me that first training, camp because it was it was that, thick, real dear guilty pleasure.
Speaker 4: Ganja and butter pecan ice.
Speaker 3: Cream you smoked through.
Speaker 6: COLLEGE i READ i heard youtarted high school when you start smoking high, school, Okay and it was just something that was always for.
Speaker 4: You and it was and it was, crazy you know high. School How LIKE i, said In, chicago we see that brown box over, There that's what we was looking, like straight up man, man, ugly. Ugly SO i got The Long Beach state and sitting in the.
Speaker 5: Dorms sitting in the dorms in the big centers From Ridondo, Beach kevin.
Speaker 1: Tie big white, Boy big white.
Speaker 5: Boy So kevin sitting there and he, says, uh this is about the fourth or fifth. Day we all in the door and he's, like do any of you guys?
Speaker 4: SMOKE i was, like, brother where you? Been you know What i'm? Saying and he pulls out And i'm like that coming From, chicago we've seen that. Green that's. Homegrown, man what is his? Homegrown he's, like what you're talking?
Speaker 3: About?
Speaker 4: Homegrown this is this is the kind the KIND i was, like all, right, brother, Exactly, YEAH i got that.
Speaker 1: Kind BUT i got that kind smoking all around the.
Speaker 6: TIME i saw the on your documentary about how he said that the coach knew he was, High like you went splayed and it didn't fuck with you at, all but it did something to, him.
Speaker 4: Y'all man in his eyes will be beat, red right.
Speaker 5: Man but the funniest part we were in we were Playing marquette and the whole team he.
Speaker 4: Was in in the.
Speaker 5: Room they got the mattress, off shooting, dice smoking, weed all, that. Right so we go to the game and we're laying an egg right text.
Speaker 4: Cost time out and he looked. Around he's, like all of you, guys they're telling me my whole team is full a part of his, man my heart. Sunk i'm, like oh, Man i'm getting ready to get kicked out of, school you. Know but he was like he Found he's, like let me tell. YOU i know what it does to. You it puts you in a state of. Euphoria and you guys are walking around it think you're doing. Something you're doing jack. Shit all, right all, right, bro that's.
Speaker 6: Crazy anything you want to get, out say anything you're working.
Speaker 4: On, well LIKE i, said, man just, UH i appreciate this, opportunity.
Speaker 5: Brothers and LIKE i, said, man just, uh we're doing some some of the stuff that we're looking at doing is putting together uh training. Camp you, know a place that we can call home man and actually do it on a level where it can be you, know be a mentorship place as well as a student athletics.
Speaker 1: Place working away we can be. Helpful we are. Now, yeah, man we appreciate your.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 6: Uh it's always a pleasure getting to sit down and talk to. You AND i may we wish you nothing.
Speaker 4: But brother it's already.
Speaker 1: Appreciate, yeah don't do.
Speaker 4: That i'm looking at, you, BOY i don't do.
Speaker 1: That we know that's his. Phone we keep going. Out it's in your possession of.
Speaker 2: Yours twice twice at.
Speaker 4: It then love me back, then should love me back.
Speaker 2: Then but that's the end of the episode with our, brother The Great Craig hodges and thanks for being.
Speaker 1: Here. Man you can't catch this episode on go ahead man.
Speaker 3: All the spokes production YouTube in The Draft Kings.
Speaker 1: Network, NOW i don't know that, part BUT i know this. Part we'll see y'all next. Time. Sorry mhm.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 1: Hmmm