Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Okay, ending the week with more tech earnings. Draft Kings reported disappointing second quarter earnings amidst growing competition from new prediction market players like Cowshi, but there's some post momentum post World Cup, setting up a pretty strong back half stock up seven and a half percent, on track for its best day since June twenty sixth. Drafting CEO and co founder Jason Robbins joins us it's interesting, right Initially that was the reaction disappointment second quarter earnings. There were favorable sports outcomes, there was promotional spending, and then this morning, everyone you know, was like, actually, you know what, the World Cup seems to have some tailwind with it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that really what you're seeing.
Speaker 3: Is that, after having all the time to digest and hear some of the context, people understand how strong a position Draftings is in from a business perspective. Right now, our core business contract to do about a billion dollars in avadad this year. You know, just a few years ago we were losing money in that business. Now it's a very strong cash flow generator for us, and we see really strong traction on predictions enormous growth over the last month or two, and the best time of year is about to come with you know, the fall season and NFL and everything that that brings.
Speaker 2: Okay, bear with me, But apparently people were betting on whether you would say Calshi on the earnings call. Prediction markets are a factor. Just react to that, Jason, please. Well, I, you know, making.
Speaker 3: Trades on whether someone is going to say something in earning's call probably isn't something that I think should be out there in my opinion, But nevertheless, I understand it is.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that though I didn't read it. I don't remember. I don't think I said that.
Speaker 3: No, hopefully not too many people took the positive side of that one.
Speaker 2: Jason, can you can you just explain the World Cup, how it manifested for draft kings, the behavior of people that went to DraftKings during it, and whether there is some momentum carried out of it for the second half of this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, World Cup on pretty much every metric that we look at, exceeded our expectations.
Speaker 1: We acquired more customers.
Speaker 3: That was both true of predictions but also true of our online sports betting business. We were way better than we expected. From an acquisition standpoint, we ended up having much more efficient acquisition to our cacs, we're twenty five percent lower than we expected.
Speaker 1: Total engagement was big.
Speaker 3: We had a really strong increase in mups as we published in our report. Also saw a really strong post World Cup engagement. Probably the most exciting thing to me, because you know a lot of people were probably thinking us included this World Cup audience. Are they going to stick around or is it sort of come you know, bet on the World Cup, trade on the World Cup and done.
Speaker 1: Not at all the case. July.
Speaker 3: We actually saw a twenty percent handle increase after the World Cup ended, which is an enormous number compared to where we were going into it.
Speaker 1: So you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of momentum coming out of the World Cup right going into our most important time of year.
Speaker 1: So it couldn't have been time better. And Jason very quickly.
Speaker 2: Those were people that went to DraftKings maybe for the first time in the World Cup and then stayed.
Speaker 3: A lot of them were a lot of them were people that had played previously and activated to continue to play afterwards. Remember after NFL, and sometimes a lot of customers go dormant, so these big moments are really, you know, great opportunities to get people to engage with the product again. And you never know if they're going to drop off or not we see that sometimes, or if they're going to continue. And at least for the World Cup audience, it seems like both the new customers and the ones who reactivated are all continuing to play through July, and I think coming into August and September, when we have our most busy time of year, it's can only continue.
Speaker 2: Jason Imprediction Markets, the field of players seem very focused on how they communicate with the under twenty one category. What is draw King's policy and approach basically to marketing to that demographic quickly?
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is an important distinction distinction between DraftKings and some of these other companies out there. We are not, as you see some of them doing marketing that you can pay your rent money and marketing to college campuses on attorneys and things like that. We are focusing on marketing to adults and position this as an entertainment product, which I think is the right way to do it. And you know, listen, those are things that right now are getting a little bit of scrutiny, and I think eventually they'll get rained in, but that's not up to us. But I do think it's something that we feel like we are really you know, as a long time trusted brand that's been out there for a long time and plays the long game and really understands, you know, it's not as much as it might get you short term volumes. That's not what you want to be doing in marketing on college campuses and things like that.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings Ce Jason Robbins, thank you very much for your time on Bloomberg Tech.