Speaker 1: I'm manny, and this is no such thing to show where were subtle r dumb arguments and yours by actually doing the research this week, where the hell is the damn ketchup? No, there's no no such thing.
Speaker 2: Touch, thank touch, thank.
Speaker 3: Touch Touch.
Speaker 1: This week is very kind of U you know, sitcom coded episode, very King of Queen's style. It's about, I think, a common trope that men can't find things, you know, in their own home, where presumably they would have some sense of where the condiments are, spices or other everyday items. Do you guys relate to this?
Speaker 4: Yes, but I will I'll add in a dandum here that like, I've only run into this when I've lived with my partner. So like before, when I lived by myself, it was fine because there's only so many places a thing could be. But these days, yeah, there's like a learning curve a little bit when you move in with someone who does things a little bit differently me.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm easy.
Speaker 4: I'll adapt to your style, but you know it might take me some time.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you're you're basically did you have this issue with roommates?
Speaker 6: Are there men that you lived with?
Speaker 4: Not that I can remember, no, but would you be sharing less of things? Yeah, that's what I really is about, I think.
Speaker 5: But you and your wife now have lived in two separate places where you both moved into these places together. Right, So yeah, to some degree, you're setting up these places collaboratively. It's not like she moved into your apartment.
Speaker 1: Yes, or you move We both went into these places.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's just remember that for later in the episode. Okay, Wait, what are certain things that you like are looking for that you can't find?
Speaker 6: Give us an example, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, it's really a problem when I'm putting stuff away, then I just put it to finding things, so I relate to unloading the dishwasher.
Speaker 6: You put things in the wrong spots, or I'll.
Speaker 4: Be like, where does this thing go? That I never fucking use? So can I be held accountable for not knowing where it goes? Sometimes I feel like I don't use the thing, you know, give me, cut me some slack.
Speaker 6: But so you don't cook as often?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, not as often for sure. But she drinks a lot of coffee and tea and has all these like dow hickeys that I just never use.
Speaker 1: You don't know where to put feminine devices.
Speaker 4: Tea. Hey I didn't say it, but not not really in case you're listening to this, honey, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I'm trying to think what specific things definitely, like I set it up, like spices and kind of small items that aren't in everyday use. It could be in one of two places and you know, maybe we have run out of the coriander, you know, outside of the kitchen. Other things like where a certain type of towel is or anything like that, or cleaning agents. Yeah, yeah, it'll be little things like that where it could be Okay, it could be in the bathroom under the sink. It could be in the kind of storage closet, it could be in the office closet. Like you know, there's you know, our apartments not that big, but there's just so there's like three or four places where everything is crammed in. And then because of that, it is kind of an ordeal if you have to like move things out of the way. So that's where I think maybe a lot of the frustration stems from where now it's like all right now I need to dig in here. That said, I think some OF's this tripe comes up in a way where it's like, well, maybe I'm asking where it is so we can get to the answer quicker than me digging around, maybe making a mess. And you know when again, when it's not an everyday use item, it might just be easier to have communication.
Speaker 4: But it's like asking my friend what time is the Lakers game versus googling it. Like if I'm right next to my friend, he might know the answer.
Speaker 5: Okay, But to stand out for the women in your life is kind of annoying. And we talk about this all the time when people ask you shit that they should know or they can google.
Speaker 1: Themselves, weaponize some competency.
Speaker 6: Yes, I've heard this term.
Speaker 5: Yes, So like if you, for example, Noah, You're like, dammit, I need some Lifesol wipes?
Speaker 6: Where do we put that?
Speaker 5: All right, this one time you're looking for it, you don't know. You know it could be in one of three places. You find them, use them, you put them back. Three months from now you're thinking about where the Lifesol wipes are? Does that stick in your brain?
Speaker 6: You now know?
Speaker 5: Okay, I've I've was looking for the Lefsol wipes at one time. I know it's in Yeah, i'mder the sink or do you are you like a goldfish?
Speaker 6: You got start over?
Speaker 5: You're like, I know it's in one of these three places I remember where if.
Speaker 1: Everything is in order, hopefully then I typically I think I do remember. That's okay, okay, But I think this is also where you know, you can easily get into a you know, teach a man to fish situation where okay, if I actually then go and get it myself, I will know, yes.
Speaker 6: Versus if you're told. If I'm told or you know, go get.
Speaker 1: It grabbing for you then given to me, then maybe I put them back, but not connecting the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to concede a little bit here. There are times when I'll get the answer and I think that makes me forget about where it was, Like my my problem that I was having was solved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so you don't even have to remember to.
Speaker 4: Go so like next time, I'm like, damn, I didn't ingest that answer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in one air out the other.
Speaker 4: But I do think some you know, many times I think I like this, like we are remembering I think the times we ask where the thing goes, but of course you don't remember the times we don't ask. There are I know true. I know all the things you do, know where the bread is, where the cereal of the time, not asking where something goes. It's those moments where I don't know that are more memorable.
Speaker 5: I think, how long do you think you're going to need until you're able to not have to ask?
Speaker 6: Well, I just think you're ever reached that day? Or is it just like.
Speaker 1: Surely over time?
Speaker 6: But I guess some of it.
Speaker 4: I don't think about it as like an assignment that needs to.
Speaker 6: Be so it's not something you're striving towards.
Speaker 4: No, it's relatively not important in my life. Okay, other now, you know I do want to be helpful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not so you're not embarrassed or like concerned that every once in a while you don't know where something goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm confident enough in myself that I'm able to ask for help. Yeah, you know it's a man.
Speaker 6: You're confident enough of your man wife.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm able to say, babe, I need I need help right now? Where the hell is the catcher?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 1: The eggs are getting cold, crying the eggs get it's been six hours.
Speaker 6: What the help?
Speaker 1: I've looked everywhere?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm an investigative journalists here on the pod. So I didn't want to just take what both Menny and Noah said about their home lives and how good they are at finding things. So I, you know, hopped in the group chat that I have with the girls secret we have a secret one. So I'm gonna play some soundbites starting with Mia about how well does many do in a house at finding things?
Speaker 1: Be interested to hear this.
Speaker 7: I think that he's like, doesn't quite have eyes for the kitchen, you know, keeps it sort of organized and stuff, but it's just like when it comes to like where things go, I'm like, oh, this is so funny that I kind of thought that we had organized the kitchen together. And then sometimes I'll just be looking for something and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, aware, enough.
Speaker 7: Could that possibly be? And I'll find it in a completely different place and I'm like, oh, I wouldn't have thought to put it there when I hurt my back recently. So then Money was in charge of like doing everything in the kitchen, cooking, cleaning, like putting stuff away, and I'd be sat there next to him, like at the bar on a bar stool, watching him try to navigate some of this stuff, and it was so funny where he's like holding up a measuring cup being like I know where this goes, but like just remind me where's his go and I'm like, in that cupboard. The other day, he was like putting a blender away, and he was going to put it with all of the canned goods like where we have like beans and crushed tomato sauce. And I was like, oh, no, that doesn't go there. That just that goes in the next cupboard. So then he was gonna put it below with all the vinegar. I was like, no, no, try again.
Speaker 6: It goes in.
Speaker 7: Another cupboard, and eventually he found the cupboard where we keep appliances, and I was like, wow, that's that's so interesting that in my mind I just kind of like know where everything goes. But I was like, maybe he comes into the kitchen every day and it's like what new adventures away? Where could this go? If I thought about it fresh?
Speaker 1: This is libel.
Speaker 6: Did you know where the blender goes?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Because I don't fucking use the blender.
Speaker 4: I don't use this shit, so I need your help.
Speaker 1: I don't put that shit anywhere.
Speaker 4: But I think generally ninety nine percent of the things I can't remember where they go. It's stuff I don't use, I will.
Speaker 5: Say, to give me any credit, you were talking about people don't remember when you do.
Speaker 6: Find things exactly. We do have an example here.
Speaker 7: I was surprised to learn that he does know where we keep the like bulk salt because we have like a what do you call it, like a little jar with salt in it, and we refill it with this big salt thing that's kind of hidden in the back of the car cupboard. And I like had realized that I was the one that you should refilled it. So I was like, I wonder, like, I'm guessing he probably doesn't know where it is. And then the other day he refilled it, and I was like, you know what, maybe I'm wrong, Maybe he does know where these things are.
Speaker 4: She's talking about me like a like a chimpion learn how to use tools.
Speaker 1: A shocking new development. Surprise, you knew where the salt is?
Speaker 6: All right? No, yeah, you're up next.
Speaker 1: I know she's been waiting for this episode.
Speaker 5: I will say you you were marked safe in terms of most things in the kitchen. Yeah, not a lot of examples there you're pretty good about that.
Speaker 6: But Noah's issue is laundry. Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's not my laundry.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's play it.
Speaker 1: I'll take the many the many defense. Let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Noah cannot discern where my clothing goes at all in a way that's like really should be studied, Like the sports bras are going with like the sleep clothes and the T shirts are going in the underwear drawer, and like every time we talk about it, he's just like, right, but your system is hard, Like your system's hard, and there's something about it that just truly does not compute for him. Like I think if he could put it away right, he would, but every time he does it wrong, and every time I say, oh, that would be fine if you did it wrong, because then you would learn, But it's like completely unknowable to him. I will try to explain the difference between an AARSM top and a sports bra.
Speaker 8: Really hard for him to get his head around.
Speaker 3: And I just feel like that's related in some way to just like complete inability to pick up on details that feel so fundamental to like an art item's properties to me.
Speaker 1: I'll explain my system, Okay, Yeah, there's pants in one drawer. Yeah, there's like sweatshirts and sweatpants in another drawer. Above those, I've got socks one drawer.
Speaker 4: Same, I've got a lot, way too many draws to it's it's more of a box, uh drawer thing, probably not a big drawer.
Speaker 1: Like okay, so boys, and then underwear and like athletic shorts.
Speaker 6: Okay, those are in the same. Yeah, my socks were in my underwear.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. If I if I didn't have so many.
Speaker 6: Socks, you have less socks, maybe you could get it.
Speaker 1: And then above that T shirts one drawer and then another one for like basically polos and kind of some miscellaneous shirts that aren't like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not a straight T shirt.
Speaker 1: But that's my six drawers six that's my system. Yeah, her she is six drawers as well. It's just incomprehensible because the workout clothes seem like sleep clothes to me.
Speaker 6: But they're different.
Speaker 5: Apparently you don't know the difference between a sports.
Speaker 1: And then there then there's like and then it's like socks. It's it just to me, it seems like a jumpoint. Every time I opened them. I'm looking and one of her drawers doesn't really it'll open or won't close. That's a whole over the level of frustration. Now where I'm now, I'm really messing this thing up.
Speaker 5: Okay, So let me ask you. Is it what's confusing to you? You don't know where things go, or you can't discern what the.
Speaker 1: I can't discern what when I open the drawer, it's hard to tell what.
Speaker 6: Which is which?
Speaker 1: What category should be in here? It is the issue.
Speaker 5: Now, let's be honest here. How much of this do you actually really care about? Like how much of this is like if you actually put your mind to it, could you do it?
Speaker 1: I mean it depends what you mean by put my mind to it. I mean do I care about it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I mean like part of it is like whatever, It's like, this is your stuff. Like if I put something in slightly the wrong drawer, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 1: That's more or less.
Speaker 6: You think that's more of it, or.
Speaker 5: You think it's like you're like fuck every week, I am like trying my hardest to do this and it's just not clicked. I mean I could yeah, I could got a hard closed blindness or something.
Speaker 1: I could try harder. I think it is a little bit of closed blindness, where like I'm not just throwing stuff in. Yeah, you're trying a little bit, but my system is a lot simpler, I think, even though I've sick.
Speaker 6: Wow, guy, there are a lot simpler.
Speaker 1: You've got like three categories.
Speaker 5: Well, let me play this because Julia also said this in her voice memo, and I think this rings tree to me.
Speaker 8: Obviously, I know that's not about finding things, but I feel like, as I'm sure you all get into, so much of this is like dumbass, like mental load shit of like living in partnership with anyone where one person is going to be better at something than others. But like the home is considered the woman's domain, whether I want it to be or not, like whether I agree or not, and whether the people coming into my home agree or not. Ultimately, in my mind, I've been raised with like this is my responsibility. You haven't been raised that way, and I feel like that's obviously part of it. Okay, you haven't been raised to really take not responsibility for this, but like you don't see it as at all related to who you are as a person or like a value about you it's not as important to you to know where things go because it's keeping an organized is not a value judgment on you as a person, in your capability to exist in the world in general. And so like then being met with obviously wanting to be a good partner and wanting to be helpful, then being intently bad at something like that like feels bad. So then it's kind of futile.
Speaker 5: You think that rings true to you that like you just don't view it as like, well, you don't see it as a reflection.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's you. I think there are worse character flaws for someone to have. And you know, I think in a perfect world we would all be able to mess up where things are, you know, And it's it's sad that this is what society has done to our queens, my queen specifically.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people are dying.
Speaker 5: This is like they're big There are bigger issues in a worried about the war is not top of the list.
Speaker 1: And if I can't, I can't distinguish the unicule tops like have you seen the news?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because in the White House, speaking in a group chat, I want to make it clear both of them are like, oh, this isn't really that big of a deal in our relationship.
Speaker 6: But I was.
Speaker 4: I was listening to what she was saying about, like what you're expected to do, or like what the home is a reflection on. But I kind of agree with no where we're like, yeah, it should be the case that they're allowed to make more mistakes, not the case that I should be perfect at putting stuff away.
Speaker 5: I like what Julia says about like it doesn't matter kind of what we think, because it's like, yeah, if someone shows up to your house and your home is a mess, yeah, they're not going to say oh God, damn manny or no, or I'm like, oh, what are Julian and mea doing?
Speaker 6: Like this place is a it's a hell hole.
Speaker 5: You know, nothing's organized, it's all over the place, right, So it is a reflection of the women.
Speaker 4: I don't know about if I agree with that so much. If someone's apartment was dirty, I'd be like, it's the guy doing this, they're.
Speaker 1: Dirty, or but yes, you would think it'd be like, wow, I can't believe she puts up with that.
Speaker 5: Yes, you would think it's a want like she is, because guys are expected to be dirty and the women are supposed to counter.
Speaker 4: It, honestly, genuinely speaking, probably like the war of feminism in the past, like fifty sixty years has allowed these kind of uffs to be on equal a little closer to equal standing today than like in the fifties or sixties or seventies. Of course, if there was a dirty house, it'd be like who the hell did you marry?
Speaker 1: Who's this woman?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Now it's more expected that men should help out a bit in the home, but it's cenerally still not you know, it's not fifty to fifty, but it is is less like, you know, guy goes to work, shows up at home and does absolutely nothing right, like they're I feel like guys get like shirtain chores now and like yeah, ahead of or own household.
Speaker 1: So there's been a couple of theories on this one that I think is largely debunked is that this goes back to our you know, hunter gatherer yeah, cavement. The theory is like, because men would go out to hunt, mm hm, we'd be we'd be looking for you know, animals moving holding like a bow and arrow or a spear, I guess, so you're looking for things that are moving out in the land.
Speaker 6: Things that are stationary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things that are stationary, we're blotting that out. It doesn't matter because we're not going after that, you know, we're looking for the will to beast or whatever. That's incredible. And then people were also saying that, like, uh, men's peripheral vision is worse because we're laser focused on what's in front of us, which also explains why men will get caught looking at you know, pretty woman because the woman is you know, us hunk comes by, she can just look at the peripherals. It's not gonna be clocked versus you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do I think that's true? Probably not, But it's a clever idea that someone came up with.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to look at some you know, proper studies on you know, object location memory and see if there's any credence to this. Maybe there is a gender difference going on biologically, and I want to find out if there's a way we can combat this and reverse the cursor, maybe get better. Can we do better for our wives?
Speaker 4: Yeah, out there who are just desperately in need of help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that's what we'll do.
Speaker 6: After the break.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back I'm Annie, I'm Noah Devin. So I set out to find out why men are worse than women at finding things in their own home. I looked into a lot of research over the decades, and I spoke to a man who co authored a meta analysis on gender differences in object location memory. Oh, so seems like maybe an answer, yeah exists.
Speaker 9: I'm Albert Posma. I'm professor in europe psychology in Utrecht University in the Netherlands, and my research is in the so called memory and space lab. So we study how human memory works and also spatial memory works, and also how it can fail, what can go wrong.
Speaker 1: So this paper of his was published in two thousand and seven. It looked at dozens of different studies to see how gender impacts object location memory. So I asked what a typical experiment looks like for this sort of thing. But first, we're going to do it right now ourselves a little surprise.
Speaker 6: Dude, did you hide some surprise experiment?
Speaker 1: So a classical one is a sheet of paper with a number of drawings of objects on it.
Speaker 6: I feel like this is like the Trump presidential test.
Speaker 5: Yeah, basically, amster dog, You've got to remember.
Speaker 1: It you study it for a time, and then you get a second sheet of paper and you have to mark which drawings have moved positions, put it cross through any items that are new. Ready, oh go.
Speaker 5: So I also if there's on location, I'm looking to my dumb as I have been thinking about.
Speaker 6: What the exs you actually are are.
Speaker 1: There's also versions of this on a computer where you have to place the objects back to their original place. And there's natural environment tests where you study a room and have to memorize the object locations in a similar fashion. So that's more realistic to kind of what we're actually talking about, where you would kind of have a room set up, kind of like an I spy. Yeah, we put it to the test. My wife and I did it this morning, and now it's your return.
Speaker 6: And I'm looking at mine.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking at shit. I'm looking at my paper, all right and time. As for the results of our budget version of the experiment, Devin and many actually overperformed for men. Congrats boys. If you want to take the test yourself or just see what it looks like, you can check out our newsletter in the show notes below. Now let's get to the actual science. So having done this, I want to know kind of what are the actual outcomes in the studies, the ones that have done this more professionally than we have here are men worse than women at finding things? So first, doctor Postma made a caveat that often these differences are over exaggerated. There are more similarities than differences. But while men are better at some spatial cognition tests like being able to do mental rotation of objects, women have shown to be better overall at tests of object location memory. Because there's so many different factors that make it hard to pin down, but there is kind of a measurable effect size difference for this one and kind of overall in this meta analysis they did, there is a mean way to effect size in favor of women of zero point two sixty nine across the eighty six total effects sizes. So, by and large, women do show superiority in object location memory.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rumors are true. They're just better validated. I was hoping that would be like a percentage, it's not. Yeah. And then there's also all this stuff once you kind of get into the fine prints of like if it's masculine coded objects, men are better versus feminine coded ones and neutral, which is funny.
Speaker 6: You know what's funny.
Speaker 5: I think I connected with some of the what people say that feminine code because I was like ironing board.
Speaker 6: I know's I love ironing boards. I remember where that is my tea.
Speaker 5: I got two different teapots, so I know exactly where those were there, you go, I knew where the flowers were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: None in the maskless stuff stood out to me.
Speaker 4: I misplaced the dumbo. Yeah, I need to hit the gym.
Speaker 1: But I ask why he thinks this is so. Some of the thoughts behind this are exposure. So if you do these exercises like searching for ketchup in the fridge, you'll get better at it. And others expectations.
Speaker 2: And I know there have been studies that if you label them as a spatial cognition test, you get larger differences between men and women. Then if you don't label them, it could be that that women think, oh, this is spatial thinking, I'm not good in this. Then they do slightly worse than men.
Speaker 1: And then still there might be some hardwiring due to the fact that effect sizes remain stable over many studies over decades. And here's another note which explains some other studies that show men are better at navigating space, so like using roadmap, et cetera. So this is doctor Postma talking about relative location versus exact location.
Speaker 2: So women are slightly better in memorizing where things are. One important reason, if I can explain this, could be that in memorizing the locations of objects, it often is not the exact position that's so important, but it's the global position that's important. You can try to memorize where you've left your headphones. They could be on the table, but the exact position on the table is not that important. It's the relative location. So it's knowing in which container location items can be found that's enough.
Speaker 1: In the studies say this where men will be better at being like, Okay, I know that mug moved six inches over that way, but women are better at knowing okay, the mug is to the left of the pot or whatever. So those relative things versus like precision, Yeah, which is interesting.
Speaker 4: Which like to be fairer to women. The precision thing is way less important.
Speaker 1: Well yeah it doesn't like it doesn't help me, yeah at all. If you're practicing these things by going into the cabinets or the fridge, et cetera. Naturally you're gonna need to know where items are. So if women are typically cooking more, then they're going to be navigating those items much more than someone who isn't. And maybe the man is going to be better at finding the tools in the garage.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's just the roles that you're playing, Yeah, and it makes sense, you know, and all these things. Of course, the studies say like it changes by population and individual. I'm always kind of hesitant to even do episodes like this because it is like, yeah, men be like this, and you know women aren't. You know, women know where the spices are yea. But that said they do, err yeah yeah. And then going into that kind of idea of is there a hardwired difference? You know, we mentioned the intro, there's theories that this goes back to hunter gatherer days, that sort of stuff, where maybe there is an eventually some sort of genetic position. Yeah, so I asked about that, and that comes up in the studies too, where people do have this theory and they're actually looking into it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: Of course, it is impossible to do an experiment on this given we don't have time machines.
Speaker 2: I like the basic idea that there was some deficion of labor in or ancestor societies and over many generations that could be have led to a sort of hard to wire difference in the brains. But again, most of I think is that there was joined labor in many things. So men have to gather also vegetables that could be eaten, and women also had to do loom, distance estimations or certain things. So again it could be a small driving force, but not too much.
Speaker 1: It's not as black and white as like men never had to look for things that were still you know, advice versa. Yeah, so it would be a very lazy excuse for me to say.
Speaker 6: That's why I can't back in the day, What do.
Speaker 1: You expect me to do? I'm out walking around the world and hunting. You know. Always important to note that.
Speaker 6: So we can't completely discount it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like totally garbage, but you know, you can't necessarily wait it so heavily because we can't prove it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: It's more like here's maybe a possible factor into it, along with current environmental things and all that. Just like roles that we have in our own house or outside of it. That sort of thing makes sense. Yeah, and then I ask, you know, how can we improve Believe it or not, there's no simple It's a matter of being intentional and systematic. So if you don't have some organizational system, or we don't have one that you know yet, you should learn it. So okay, you write spices on the left, green spaces on the right, et cetera. And just being intentional when you put things back or take the things, and it's basically just practice and eventually you will learn this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like, for example, if you say you're in a kitchen and you're like, all right, this is where we put all the appliances. So then the only thing you need to remember is if there's an appliance, it's going to be in this general area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You don't need to know the exact location of it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So if you have a blender, maybe you don't put it with the beans.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, you know when we talk about it like this, exactly, it is common sense.
Speaker 4: It's the thing too where like all right, So for this experiment, we were asked to intentionally put some effort in remembering where these things were and then at the end we did pretty well and remembering where they were. And that's essentially what a lot of women are asking their partners to do, which is just to put some effort into it. Yeah, it's not a biological disadvantage that we have. It's really about like, okay, if you look at this for one minute.
Speaker 1: Really think about it, and we can do better. That said, I knew what the experiment was going into it, and still when I was staring at the that first page trying to memorize, I was like, I cannot I know, I couldn't like us, and you know, I was just nervous. And then I get to page two, I was like, no clue. All right, folks, that's the end of the main show. We're always trying new things out here at NST Headquarters.
Speaker 6: So stick around after the.
Speaker 1: Break to hear a bonus hot take from Devin.
Speaker 5: So my hot take, and this happened to me. I'm not just talking about it, I'm about that life.
Speaker 6: Okay. I went to Caba last week. Love Cava.
Speaker 1: Tell the people what is tava?
Speaker 5: Is Mediterranean bowl similar to everybody calls it Chipotle of blah blah blah. It's Mediterranean bowls. You make your own bowl delicious. They give you a lot of food, good portions, A.
Speaker 6: Great lunch option. Uh, if you work out a corporate job.
Speaker 5: And I was eating my bowl delicious bowl and it was a long piece of hair in it. Oh, my hot takes. Is not that big a deal to have hair in your food? Yeah, I almost people get hairing the food and they want to burn the restaurant down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's hair.
Speaker 5: It's not I get it's a little bit roast, especially if you don't see it ahead of time and it's in your mouth and you're like, oh, this is someone else's hair.
Speaker 6: It was long.
Speaker 5: It was a long I knew first of all. And it wasn't my hair. Yeah, the very distinct you know. It was a straight blonde piece of hair, and it was like it was in there good, you know, like it got mixed in it was it was curled up nicely, and I just took it aside and continued.
Speaker 1: How far into your meal were you This was towards the end. Yeah, so you might have been chopping.
Speaker 5: Oh I could have been. They could have been a mouthful. It wasn't like I saw it on top and stopped I was in there. I may have eaten some here already. But my thing is like, it's not that big of a deal. And I think people get upset about it because it reminds them that someone else made their food, you know.
Speaker 6: I think people don't like the idea.
Speaker 5: They like the idea of the food being in front of them, right, they like the idea of the food being made fresh, and they like of not having to make that food. I think the hair is a reminder that someone else had to do labor interesting to make your food.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: And because I don't think it's that if there was a piece of hair that got into your mouth just randomly, you wouldn't react in the same way that you do that as oh yeah when it's in your food.
Speaker 4: Well, I certainly think people behave out of character when it comes to like food service. People like yeah, especially a fast casual. Yeah, like they're kind of people think they're kind of below them.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember the Chipotle saw people then going filming the Chipotle things so they'd get bigger portions. Yeah yeah, yeah, the saddest people in the world. And you know, I used to be.
Speaker 4: A food service worker, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yea, And yeah I used to get like people.
Speaker 4: Who would come in and just like find anything to complain about to either get a discount or in many cases weren't even looking for a discount, just like needed someone.
Speaker 6: To yell at beat the outlet for today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I could see that. I could see that. I think when I find hair in my and my food, I think there's a good argument, like if you wanted to be like, hey I found you go up to them, Hey, I found some hair in my foe?
Speaker 1: Can I get a new one?
Speaker 6: I don't think it's I think that's fair to fair.
Speaker 4: But the reason I'm not doing that is largely out of convenience.
Speaker 1: I think I just can be fucking It doesn't disturb Yeah, to your point, it doesn't disturb me that much anyway. Yeah, if it was like, Okay, I'm noticing now there's multiple here, like it seems like there's really something going on, but like, yeah, it's an honest mistake. It's not even a mistake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just that's what happened on your head. On your head, it falls off sometimes that's it. Yesterday I was watching a video where this guy had he went to some place and got like some pancakes with some syrup, and he opens up his container when he gets home and there's literally bugs scroll around.
Speaker 4: Okay, in this instance fair multiple bugs skip.
Speaker 1: That local franchise and go straight to corporate.
Speaker 6: At that point.
Speaker 5: The funny thing is he took it back and the lady was like, what do you want me to do about it?
Speaker 6: You want me to make you another one.
Speaker 5: He's like, I don't want another one.
Speaker 6: Give me my money back.
Speaker 1: I think you should shut the whole place so.
Speaker 6: That you know that is fair if you're being nagliged.
Speaker 1: Hit, Yeah, something is actually dirty, you know, obviously bugs.
Speaker 6: If there's a bug in my food, all right.
Speaker 5: That's kind of a problem. Yeah, you put a band aid in my food, all right? Come on, that's kind of a problem.
Speaker 6: Yellow piece of hair.
Speaker 4: Even with the hair, like the hair, I'm truly not that bothered by it is of course more disturbing when you when you're pulling out when you have already consumed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it's like, oh that's rough.
Speaker 4: It kind of can't even eat the rest of the bowl because I think there's more hair in there.
Speaker 6: I just not me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm turned off.
Speaker 6: Couldn't be me, I mean that thing.
Speaker 5: I mean it more now I might go get seconds finished the whole thing, like, hey, there was some hearing that, so I'm going.
Speaker 1: That was delicious.
Speaker 6: You know whose hair was that? Yeah? You know. You come in and they do those like pranks like who made this great job? Whose hair is this?
Speaker 1: No such thing as a production of collot dam No such thing as a production of kaleidoscope content. Our executive producers are Kate Osborne and man Gesh hot Tikidur. The show is created by Manny Fidel, Noah Friedman, That's me and Devin Joseph. The man credit song by Manny. Mixing is by Steve Bone. Additional reporting by Lauren Wilson. Our guest this week was doctor Albert Postma from Utrek to University. For more, including some of the research discussed, and to do your own version of the object location test, subscribe to our newsletter at No Such thing dot show. If you have feedback for us or our question. Our email is Manny no A Devin at gmail dot com. If you're in the US, you can also leave us a voicemail by calling the number in the show notes. Please leave us a five star rating and write a nice review if you can, and if you're a Spotify listener, make sure you tap that bell but and so you get notified for new episodes, don't miss up. Thanks and we'll be back next week with a new episode. Bye, Hell's Hells, Hells, Hells, no such thing.