Speaker 1: He's the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star Infrasco. And now your host, Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Today is January thirtieth, twenty twenty five, and we are eighty four days away from the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Welcome into the Draft Show presented by Miller LT alongside Tommy Yarish and Nick Harris and Kyle Yeomans. One more day here from L Reese's Senior Bowl and radio row, which means we get some exclusive guests along the way. And now we've got Jack Kaiser, Notre Dame linebacker, joining us. Jack, we were just talking off air for a moment. The run to the National Championship feels like it was yesterday because it was basically yesterday, a longer season along the way. Tell us what the quick turnaround has been like for you and a lot of these other NFL draft prospects to play such a long season and then turn it around get in the draft mode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it's you know, for my case, it's been awesome, right. I was healthy coming out of the season, and so the last month and a half it feels like every ten days I've been playing in a big time game. Well, after the National Championship, this is kind of another ten day window to play in another big game. Body feels great. Mentally, I'm sharp. I'm still in football mode, right. I didn't become a track star for a month and a half, and so I'm just excited to be here.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Now, you talked about the quick turnaround and some of the I guess the routine that you continued into.
Speaker 4: I mean, how tough is it to extend that a.
Speaker 2: Little bit further because you've played a significant amount of college football leading up to this.
Speaker 4: The twelve team playoff threw another wrench into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean if you ever told me at the beginning of the year, Hey, you got a chance to play in sixteen games, and you get a chance to go to the Senior Bowl and compete with the best of the best, And like, I don't think I would hesitate and signing up for that, right, Like that's what you want to do as a competitor, Like that's the best thing you can play in National Championship and Senior Bowl like that sounds like the best year of football ever and so very fortunate to be able to do that, for sure.
Speaker 6: I think so much.
Speaker 7: A big part of that you guys has run this year was the defense and yourself and Leonard Moore and guys around you exave your Watson the secondary and your defensive coordinator too. Al Golden just got hired by the Cincinnati Bengals. Saw him that practiced yesterday. What did he do well schematically that you feel like is going to be able to take your game and translate it to the NFL level.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean if you look at coach Golden's defense in the scheme that we were running, like we had answers for everything. We our playbook was so deep, but at the same time, like guys knew it inside and out. Guys were able to play fast with clarity and violence and so just having answers being a poll from from the bank that we had and then you know, also to have the guys to be able to execute, right. We played a lot of man coverage this year. You can't do that if you don't have the guys to cover, and that frees up, you know, and it allows you to get create of up front the front seven a lot, and so just very fortunate and learned a lot of ball under him and super excited for his future, but very appreciative of where he's done for me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of rich history at Notre Dame.
Speaker 9: Nobody in the history of the program has played more games than you, though, Jack seventy games the experience. Did you expect to play seventy games whenever you arrived on campus? What was it five years ago?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: I mean I cheated. I like to say I cheated. I got the COVID year and was able to use that. So hopefully that never gets broken because that means we're in another pandemic. But true, No, it was super special to be there and to have my whole career there and see the people come and go and and just there's so many amazing people at Notre Dame and the history and the tradition and know that now you're a part of that, like your name's in that.
Speaker 5: It's pretty special.
Speaker 9: And then talking again about the sixteen games from this past season, I mean NFL seventeen game schedule now, so it's basically kind of jumping into a routine. Do you feel like you'd be better adjusted for the NFL schedule as a result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, I proved I'm I can be there for the long haul, right. I can go from July thirtieth all the way until you know, mid January and playing football.
Speaker 5: In this case February. And that's an NFL season, it really is.
Speaker 3: And so I feel like I proved I can be a pro you know, take care of the body, you know, be available every single week, like that's hard to do. And so I think that certainly gives me edge of you know, I've done this before. It's not my first time. You know, I'm not gonna be mentally exhausted out of the bat.
Speaker 2: Now the Cowboys have certainly dipped into the pool of Notre Dame linebackers in the past. Maris Leah Foul of course on our team. Now, he had a great rookie season. I mean, what was your connection with him like during his time up in South End and playing alongside Big number thirty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Maris and I were in the same class, and so it was really cool just to kind of go up together and get better and develop with one another. And then to see him, you know, have such a great year this year, and and to talk to him every so often. And now he's back in South Bend and got to see him the facility, and so it was just really cool to see him do so well.
Speaker 5: Excited for him, and he's only gonna get better. He's the type of the guy that's never gonna stop working.
Speaker 2: Now, We've got a lot of film buffs that watch this show, and a lot of them are Cowboys fans specifically, so they know what Marius Leval brings to the table.
Speaker 4: How does your game differ than what he did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when you look at Maris like he's a big He's a big guy, lengthy, he's explosive, very dynamic player, right, he's going to get the ball out like he's a playmaker.
Speaker 5: I have that like in my own way.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, like I feel like we're my game. You know where I had the advantages, like my preparation and my pre snap reads and just seeing things on the field, seeing receiver split, seeing formations, you know what's the tendencies here down distance, like kind of processing all that put it together and then being ready to recognize it and play fast when the ball snaps.
Speaker 4: How tough is that to.
Speaker 2: Do in an event like this where there's so many different guys from so many different systems, and then it's a new system on the other sideline that you're trying to kind of figure out both in practice and then another one coming up on Saturday in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's different, but at the same time, you know football tendencies or football tendencies, and they.
Speaker 5: Still show up here.
Speaker 3: You know, a receiver who cuts play outside foot up, he's gonna crack like that's this kind of stuff that you see in football, and you see it here, and so it allows you still play fast. And then we're watching film every night, like you know, you pick it up as the week goes. Oh, this is what they're doing this week though, this is how they're you know, adjusting, this is what the offensive scheme is. And so you learn and and then you know by the d of the week you're playing really fast and recognizing that stuff.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 7: A big part of this week too, is not just the stuff on the field, but what you do off the field, meeting with NFL teams. How have those meetings gone thus far and what if some of the feedback that you've gotten from whether it be front offices, scouts, coaching staffs, whatever it may be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean meetings have gone great.
Speaker 3: Just been able to you know, sit down, share my story who I am, and then obviously talk about football and talk about the season we had. And I'm very fortunate, you know, with Maris coming out last year and jad Bird Train coming out last year, you know, they kind of lead the groundwork where like, you know, these teams know what a linebacker, a Notre Dame linebacker you know, can do, and what system we come from and what we've been exposed to, and so a lot of those questions like they kind of already have answered them for me, and so that's been awesome. But just you know, just trying to sit down, show them who Jack Kaiser is and what Jack Kaiser has in store and what my strengths are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were talking a little bit before we got on the are You're from a small town in Indiana about eight hundred people.
Speaker 8: Just talk about your upbringing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Indiana kid, grew up in a small town, grew up on a farm. Family in total has about a thousand acres of corn, soybeans, grew up you know, out in the fields driving tractors, and then we had some animals in the summer and pigs, goats, you know, chickens, like everything you can think of. I was the youngest of four and so I always got the short end the stick in terms of jobs. You know, Hey, you go up in the hay mound or you like, you know, throw me up on the roof and I.
Speaker 5: Have to clean the gutters stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it just you know, learned how to work hard at a really young age and certainly bring that in my everyday life.
Speaker 9: And of course in football, Notre Dame fan the whole way I got you.
Speaker 3: But uh, being you know, being farm you know, farm cut, everybody roots for Purdue.
Speaker 5: That's that school makes sense.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, like their names, No Dame exactly right, and so you know when they were on national TV, you're rooting for him for sure.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: How much how exciting is this time period for your family? Uh, the family of four you like you talked about and how close knit you guys were to watch you take this rise, not only to the National Championship and now to the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been the whole journey through Notre Dame in high school just has been really special, but especially this year in kind of ride we went on and be able to share that with my siblings, my parents, My parents be able to go to every game and my siblings to be able to get to the home playoff game or you.
Speaker 5: Know, to the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl.
Speaker 3: And then finally to cap it off and have everybody has a national championship.
Speaker 5: It was super special.
Speaker 3: And then to know that, you know, they get to watch me on TV this week on the NFL network.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, that's pretty special, and know that they get a share in that experience. For sure.
Speaker 4: It's an exciting time.
Speaker 2: Jack, Will you take We appreciate you taking some time sitting down with us.
Speaker 4: Good luck the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: We're certainly fans of your work already, a lot of people watching the show certainly like what you've done so far.
Speaker 4: Got a bright future ahead of you.
Speaker 5: Appreciate thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Jack Kaiser, Notre Dame linebacker joining us here on the Draft Show. We've got plenty more coming your way momentarily from Radio Row Here at Averese's Senior Bowl twenty twenty five in Mobile, Alabama.
Speaker 10: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect your big news. We just dropped our very own Dude Perfect Smoothie with Smoothie King.
Speaker 11: We as strong, it's my recipe.
Speaker 12: Technically we all came up with it, Kobe.
Speaker 10: I mean you put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that.
Speaker 11: Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was want to say that. Oh that that was funny. Oh honey. Thank you.
Speaker 10: Anyways, kid, the dude Perfect Smoothie only at Smoothie King My Smoothie all right.
Speaker 14: Drew Pearston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw ahell Mary go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care Eye Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see.
Speaker 14: Check them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you, hood.
Speaker 16: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 17: Snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 4: He escaped Lefty'll love full first down.
Speaker 16: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 18: Rush Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 16: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 19: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting.
Speaker 12: Ryan dot com.
Speaker 19: Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys is.
Speaker 1: The Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back here to Radio Row, the Draft Show presented by Miller Light, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. It's Miller Time. We've got Tommy Ars, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yemens. Now we've got Oli with Fimmi Ola Dajo. Did I say that right?
Speaker 4: Almost? Ol Day Joe Ola Day Joe. Okay, so there's a Joe.
Speaker 8: At the end.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Good to know uc LA linebacker joining us here. We just talked with Jack Kaiser a moment ago, and the linebacker position is so vertatile now in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Tell us what you feel like your strengths are and what you're bringing to the pro level.
Speaker 20: A great question, r You said, I think versatility is named to the game. Being able to do multiple things in the scheme, whether it's playing off the ball linebacker or on the ball a third down pass rushing, or just you know, playing the run game all the ball, on.
Speaker 21: The ball, striking, playing physical.
Speaker 20: So I think having all those assets with physicality and violence explosiveness just makes a great player.
Speaker 2: And you could see that in your practices, you can see that in your film as well.
Speaker 4: How's the week been so far for you?
Speaker 2: Getting to interact with some of the best players at each of their positions.
Speaker 21: Man, it's been great. It's been a blessing.
Speaker 20: It's a great opportunity, uh, just to compete with the best and to really try to make a name for yourself. I think I've had two okay practices. Some I say it's been really good, but I still know I can get more.
Speaker 8: It's been really good in my opinion.
Speaker 6: Second back, she said.
Speaker 20: It no voices going right now because I've been so on the jeddak and excited and yelling and just having fun. But it's been awesome, man, you know, had great conversations with great people and networking and just making opportunities.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 20: And the people playing here, I said yesterday future all of famers. So it's been a blessing.
Speaker 6: Kyle kind of mentioned it a second ago.
Speaker 7: But you with your versatility, that's something that pops out on film and it's popped out in practice, whether it beyond the ball, off the ball. Where do you feel like you're at your best and in terms of where you're playing and what kind of situation you're playing it.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'm meant to be on the ball all it means.
Speaker 20: I'm know, I played my first three years in college, in my first three games my senior year, but you know, the transition was a natural one and this one that should happened a long time ago. But I'm just want to play well at the end of the day. But I believe I'm most efficient and effective on the ball.
Speaker 7: And so what about that transition, Like you mentioned playing middle linebacker for the first three years, in the three games this year, you know, with that smaller sample size of real game action in college, how do you feel like you've grown already and how do you feel like that's going to translate to the professional level.
Speaker 21: Absolutely?
Speaker 20: Yeah, So I think, you know, the first thing I really had to get down was just a pass rushing or I got to learn over the few weeks that I first transitioned. I mean, it actually is an ORI's a craft. The one note always help you in that area. There's just motor and effort, but to some extent comes being a mastermind and playing chestnut checkers. So I think for me, just continue to improve my past rushing, continue to improve my technique, and they just gets you the polishing.
Speaker 9: Every year there's probably about three or four guys that come here and they really stamp their stock and have a great week. I'd put you in that category right now. As far as what you've been able to do in one on ones and pass our situations. How much prep has gone into the this game, specifically over the course of the last month.
Speaker 8: What does that look like for you.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I'm trying to Dallas, Texas right now at ex oson great coach coach Brandon Tucker's give me great advice and also shout out to my coach at UCLA, coach mcloy Coach t They've really helped me a lot to be prepared, yes, for this moment, but just overall everything coming in front of him.
Speaker 8: Shout out to Big Tuck last year.
Speaker 9: Last year Lyle to Lots obviously had went through this exact same process. Was there anything you were able to kind of peel back from him and kind of see what that process is like before jumping into it a little bit.
Speaker 20: Didn't get to speak on too much, but me and lotcho actually in the same area that fun I played in my high school my sophomore year.
Speaker 21: He was dominant, tied in not even tied end.
Speaker 20: But yeah, I mean I got to watch all the film a lot too and get advice.
Speaker 21: From a coach who coached him about this process.
Speaker 2: Another guy that at least just of course we know very closely that played off ball quite a bit in college, figured out a little bit of the pass rush, was able to take that to the NFL level.
Speaker 4: Goes by the name of Mike the partsons.
Speaker 2: How much have you watched him and what he does well at the NFL level and maybe some of the other guys that you've modeled your game after.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Michael, he's a He's a great player, explosive, dominant, But he was actually probably the first player I started to watch. Wow, when I transition to it was him a lot to Actually I watched a lot to practice film because I had access to it, and I watched on the game film on Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: What did you see that stuck out and what do you feel like you kind of mirror from his game?
Speaker 20: I think Michael can rush from any plays on the field where it's on the guard, on the center of the tackle.
Speaker 21: Yesterday I rest on the guard.
Speaker 20: So just trying to, you know, find the best matchups and just be be more athletic than man in front of his twitch. He's explosive, he he knows what he wants to do, he has a plan. He's just aggressive.
Speaker 7: But you know, this year with U c l A Moving to the Big ten, I still don't know if that sounds right to you, because it still doesn't sound It's gonna take some time to get used to that. But the conference as a whole is known for how strong it is the line of scrimmage on both sides. And not to say the Pac twelve wasn't that in your time there, but what did you realize about some of the newer teams that you played in, some of the newer faces that you had to see on the other side there?
Speaker 20: Man, I I truly believe football is football. What you put in is what you get out. Everybody's human. So the conference change, it wasn't really like a oh my gosh moment, at least to me. You know, I don't see that out of arrogance but just confidence. But I think, like I said, everybody's hearing. Man, Like what you put in the light room is what you get out. If I'm working the man next to me, I'm gonna give results. You know what I'm saying. So it was a great transition in my opinion. I think it helps you CLA because it shows we can compete. Just about our season, I think we really should have won three games that we lost, But I thought we competed. I thought we showed that we can fight. And I don't know cause Foster's gonna change the program up there.
Speaker 9: I want to dive a little bit more into being able to rush the passer from any one on the line, whether it be at zero tech or at wide nine.
Speaker 8: What would you say?
Speaker 9: You know, some guys obviously are better fit from pass rushing in the interior because they're shorter, they're better in those kind of you know, a close confines. And then the white nine it's getting the bind, it's finding the explosion around the edge. Where would you say, why are you good at zero technic and why are you good at white nine if you were to be lined up in those two different situations on a pass rush down.
Speaker 20: Yeah, so it's situation that would be in a you know, third down, third third and long thirty seven plus.
Speaker 21: But I like the center. I like the center. The guard.
Speaker 20: They're they're they're they're not the most probably the most unethle the guys in the field.
Speaker 9: Respect we have a former center on the show back at home well to be sure and tell them that shut out to Brian's it's.
Speaker 20: Just like you can beat the most speed, but then if you're a powerful god, which I believe I am, I can sneak in power on you and still bully you.
Speaker 21: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 20: So it just gives you the best way, and it's it's the shortest measure to the quarterback.
Speaker 21: This is faster than coming from it, so I can get there now.
Speaker 9: As far as being out if you're lined up out of white nine, trying to create that bind and obviously having the experience at off ball having to get used to that, what would you say you put in as far as flexibility, dexterity during the week and training the body to be able to do things like that, because it's an awkward movement, like if you're not used to it, it takes some time to kind of get around and figure out what that edge that edge rush looks like.
Speaker 21: Very true.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I mean I think for myself, like I said with Coach mcloy and coach ted up working that bend, working the hoop bend, working you know, singing the hips and staying low to the ground and instide toe facing where you're going. So just working a lot of extra reps and just continue to pu polish my game.
Speaker 8: So a very technical process all the way to show.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 20: So I mean a lot of that out thing was natural. But now to you know, go from good because I think on natural is good. Let you go from good to great. Gotta work on the tekenee.
Speaker 2: I will say one thing just over this conversation, your energy is infectious and so I can see that on the field. I can see that through your work and your tape all the way through. Uh, We're excited about getting to cover you over these next couple of months through the NFL draft. But what would it mean for you to end up with a star on the side of your helmet and rush alongside guys like Micah Parsons that you've watched in the past, if.
Speaker 20: You bless them? Man, I've been saying for the week. You know, we're right, end up whatever thirty two teams is a blessing. But Dallas specifically kind of funny because I'm actually like seven minutes lear from the story, right now. Oh okay, Yeah, I'm living in playing though, so down the street. It wouldn't be much of a move, but it'd be awesome, honestly, great history around the program.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 20: One of my former coaches, King Norton Junior. Yeah, great legend South Coast Norton. Uh, he played there, obviously won a super Bowl with them.
Speaker 21: It'd be awesome.
Speaker 4: It'd be incredible, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck the rest of the week here in Mobile and for the rest of the draft process as well.
Speaker 4: We'll be keeping a close eye on you.
Speaker 21: Awesome pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you for old with Fimmy, Ola Day Joe joining us from UCLA.
Speaker 4: I got at that time, right, yep, you did.
Speaker 5: Okay, Wait, I just want to make sure.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure.
Speaker 2: The nickname that we heard coming up was O two, So maybe that's what we're gonna call you from now on.
Speaker 4: O two Here on the Draft show. We've got more coming up from Radio Row right after this.
Speaker 22: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 23: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 16: Today.
Speaker 10: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect her big news. We just dropped our very own Dude Perfect Smoothie with Smoothie Camp.
Speaker 11: We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 12: Technically we all came up with it. Kobe, I mean you.
Speaker 10: Put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I want to say that. Oh that that was funny, honey.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Anyways, kid, the dude perfect smoothie only it's smoothie king my smoothie.
Speaker 18: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets?
Speaker 17: As we cheer for the stars.
Speaker 18: On the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets pat along with all our other favorite Tyson Foods products, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star just like our Cowboys as you enjoy your stars on and.
Speaker 17: Off the plate.
Speaker 18: Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 4: He is the Dallas Cowboys Draft Show. Welcome back here on the Draft Show.
Speaker 2: And with all the orange that we've seen around here for the Reese's Senior Ball, it's only fitting we talked to a Clemson Tiger wearing some orange as well. We've got Jake bringing bringing stool joining us to tie end from Clemson.
Speaker 4: Jake, it's been a great week so far for you.
Speaker 2: What's been the key to having the success that you've shown on the field at Hancock Whitney.
Speaker 24: Yeah, Uh, you know, I think, like you said, it has been a great week. You know, I think for me, it's got a you know, stay consistent. Uh, you know, I think it's been it's been a great week so far. But I think just continue to go out there and show what I can do, continue to you know, show who I am off the field, and just can kind of continue to build off the opportunity that's.
Speaker 5: Coming my way.
Speaker 2: We've talked a lot about the trenches on this show throughout the week, and uh, the pass catchers certainly have shined pretty bright along the way. But that's tough to do in a week like this when you're catching passes from new quarterbacks, you're running routes in new systems, you're trying to do some new things. What's been the biggest challenge for you throughout the week of practice so far.
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, like you said, it is a challenging week. It's a busy week. But I think, you know, it's been a lot of fun. This is the best, the best in the draft class. Like they talk about just being able to compete with these guys has been a lot of fun for me. It's it's been a cool opportunity. I'm thankful to be able to be down here also meet with a lot of teams and be able to just showcase a type of player I am, type of team at I am, uh, dominic character I am. So I think it's just been, you know, a lot of great opportunity and I'm thankful to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you mentioned it briefly there, but meeting with the teams is a big part of this week as well. One of those meetings been like and when coaches or scouts or front office staff are giving you maybe some constructive criticism on what they've seen on film from he or during practice this week, what's some of that been and how how are they telling you that you can get better?
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, I think I just got to learn how transition into being a pro. You know, I think college football it's a lot different. So just being able to transition into being a pro carry myself like that, you know, uh, twenty four to seven on and off the field. I think, you know, it's been a lot of great information that they've given me. But just being able to, you know, take the coach and take the criticism sometimes. Something I learned at Clemson was just you don't want to listen to the message, but listen to the or listen to the don't listened to the tone.
Speaker 5: We listen to the message.
Speaker 24: And just being able to, you know, gather all the coaching I can try and get as as much better as I can, as quickly.
Speaker 5: As I can.
Speaker 7: And Deblo Swinney's produced so much NFL talent in his time at Clemson, You'll be the latest example of that. With his history and seeing guys jump from his program to the next level. What is his mentorship been like and what are some of the things that he's taught to you that's helped prepare you for that process?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, Coach Tweny's great.
Speaker 24: You know, I think the way he runs his program, the culture that he's created, was a lot of things that attracted me to be able to commit through out of high school. But I think just you know, the man of faith that he is, the way he you know, loves his players, the way he cares about his players. You know, I think I'm an example of that. You know, he says he's more worried about the thirty year old version of yourself, more so than what you can do as a college football player. So, you know, I think he he cares about us genuinely. He wants us to be great husband's, great fathers, you know, something I aspired to be one day. So I think, you know, just growing as a man, growing in my faith. You know, I think those are the coolest things that you know, as other beneficiaries are going to.
Speaker 8: Clemson, dive into some sicko stuff here.
Speaker 9: The tight end position is the most unique one in the game, just because you find yourself doing just about everything offensively except throw the ball. You're gonna pass protec, You're gonna run, block, you're gonna catch the ball. Sometimes you might even carry the ball. From your perspective, I think a lot of people know you're receiving next because you got the length and you're able to do that downfield, You're able to do that in short quarters. As far as your overall game and things that don't show up in the stat sheet, what would you say stands out?
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, I think I'll bring a lot of versatility to an offense. You know, I think I can create mismatches outside. I can also compete and make a difference in the run game. But I think something that's different about me, you know, I think just a type of teammate I am.
Speaker 4: H you know, I'm a competitor.
Speaker 24: I'm gonna compete every single day, but I also want to build guys up, you know, build confidence in them. Ultimately, we're all in the same team, you know, striving for the same common goal.
Speaker 9: Or does a competitive competitiveness come from siblings growing up or parents they're playing video games with with friends?
Speaker 8: What's what's that come from?
Speaker 6: I would say it's a mix of all all those.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 24: I got an older brother, so I you know, I definitely learned that at a young age. I'm just having to you know, compete, you know always, you know, just having.
Speaker 5: Fun with him. And I like to talk about the video games. Uh.
Speaker 24: You know, I love playing the game with my friends. You know, I'm really close to my roommates and teammates back home. So just you know, anytime we hop on there playing Ncuble, a Madden, you know, whatever it is. You know, I always want to win. Uh, So you know, it doesn't really matter what we're doing. I just want to win, and I kind of carry that same mindset onto the field, and you know, I just that's that's how I carry myself as a man, just throughout everything. So, you know, it's been like I said this week, it's been a great experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 24: I think I'm just most thankful for the competition and you know, the type of guys that get to do next two.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fans that watch the show and want a lot of listeners that love watching.
Speaker 4: Film and they've seen what you can do from a receiving ability.
Speaker 2: Uh, what's your mindset when you're blocking, when you are trying to pass protect, or you are trying to run block or trying to lead the way? What's your mentality that you've taken throughout your career.
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know, I think it just comes down to being physical, having a willing mindset. Uh, you know, I think I do have that. You know, I think I'm a willing blocker. You know, I want to do it. I think the most rewarding feeling as a tight end, especially in the run game, is just when you and all five offensive linemen are all on the same page.
Speaker 5: And then the running back gets an explosive play.
Speaker 24: Sometimes a tight end position is kind of an unselfish position.
Speaker 5: You gotta kind of you know, do some of the dirty work.
Speaker 24: But I think the reward for another player and ultimately fun points on the board is you know, very rewarding.
Speaker 7: And to kind of build off of that with if you if you were to have our fans go back and watch film, there's plenty of games for you to watch as a receiver where you've played well as a ball catcher. But if you had to give them a game where you feel like you dominated as an inline run blocker or in line pass blocker, what do you can you think back to a game where you feel like you did that really well.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I would say go watch South Carolina tape them this last year. You know, I think we have them.
Speaker 8: Up front, that's a good front.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, they had they had a really good defense. But I think you know, we had a good game playing going into that game. You know, shout out to those guys on South Carolina team. You know they had they have played a good game. You know, they got the better of us, not the negative against them, But you know, I think we did a good job getting our job done.
Speaker 5: And we you know, we played well.
Speaker 9: I believe you told me yesterday that you met with the Cowboys this week. Correct, Yeah, do you remember anything from that meeting? I know you've had a lot of meetings. Do you remember anything one from that one specifically?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 24: Yeah, you know it was it was a really good you know, just opportunity to be able to sit down with them and kind of just showcase type of man I am, you know, show them how I carry myself off the field. I'm more so than just a football player, you know, So just being able to, you know, let them get to know me, to get to know me, get to know my personality, and get to know the type of teammate, type of leader I am. So I think just being able to, you know, in a short time span, you know, be able to let them know that the real me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Do you know much about Jake Ferguson or have you modeled anything in your game after him?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 24: You know, I think he's a great tight end, you know, I think he makes a difference for you guys in Dallas.
Speaker 5: But I think the coolest thing.
Speaker 24: Is just for me have an opportunity to be able to go compete with these type of guys, you know, I think, uh, these are the best players in the world at this position. So as being able to be a part of that, you know, going into the NFL as a young guy, you know, I want to be able to just learn learn from guys that have done it at a high level. You know, they got anything I can learn from their game, kind of met it into my own way and kind of putting in my own tool box.
Speaker 9: Yea, And I think Andrew Booth is the only Clemson Tiger in the locker room, so I.
Speaker 8: Need to add an extra another one. The dude, for sure, he's funny. Man, he's funny.
Speaker 4: Jake.
Speaker 2: You you mentioned, uh, the well rounded side of your game, and and you're you're going up against some of the guys that are also well rounded during this week of the Senior Bowl, but throughout your entire collegiate career, including the practices so far, who stands out as a guy that you've matched up against that that stands off the page for you?
Speaker 24: Yeah? I think, you know, there's been a lot of a lot of great talent here. You know, I think a couple of my favorite dues I've enjoyed watching Walter Nolan. Uh, you know, I think He's done a really good job, and I think Dion's also, you know, done a good job. And then on the offensive side, uh, you know, jack beshis had a really good week, so just being and then Jackson Dart I think has done a good job as well. So I'm just trying to, you know, continue to build relationships with those guys. You know, you know, we're going through the same process together, so just you know, talk to them about kind of what they're going through, kind of what what's what I'm going and just have each other out the best we can.
Speaker 2: Man, it's a fun tight end class, it's a fun Senior Bowl group, and you're just right there in the middle of it, and you make it fun for us to cover on a daily basis. So we appreciate you taking some time and talking with us about the future.
Speaker 4: We're excited about your future. Good luck for the rest of the week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 2: Jake Brennan still joining us the Clemson tight End here at the Reese's Senior Bow Mullinger come from Radio Row. We're just getting started here in Mobile, Alabama.
Speaker 10: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect here, big news. We just dropped our very own dude perfect smoothie with Smoothie King.
Speaker 11: We as strong, it's my recipe.
Speaker 12: Technically, we all came up with it, Kobe.
Speaker 10: I mean you put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was on to said that, Oh that's funny, funny.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Anyways, give the dude perfect smoothie only at Smoothie King My smoothie all right.
Speaker 14: Drew Pearston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw a hell mary go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At lasercare I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see check.
Speaker 14: Them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you.
Speaker 4: Hoo hoo.
Speaker 16: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 17: As they snapped. The fresh guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 4: He escaped slept. He'll look full a first out. Just like football.
Speaker 16: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 18: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 16: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot.
Speaker 8: Com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 19: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting Ryan dot com. Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: We've talked all week to some of the stars of the Raese's Senior Bowl here on Radio Row in Mobile, Alabamas. I'll welcome you back into the Draft Show alongside Tommy Yarish, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yeomans. We're now joined by, at least on social media, the star of the Reese's Senior Bowl so far through the first two practices, Tes Johnson from Oregon Wide receiver.
Speaker 4: Tes, It's been an incredible week.
Speaker 2: For you the social media, the eclipse are surfacing, they're blowing up of you having some success in the one on one periods.
Speaker 4: What's this whole scenario, this whole event been like for you so far.
Speaker 25: Well, first off, I'm back home in the first time in two years, so it looked a little different. I hopped out the plan, but it means a lot because coming down here is just one of those things, like you want to showcase why you wanted the best in the country. You got the best of the best here from dB D line quarterbacks, so you want to be able to have that that factor about you, like how can you separate yourself from these guys out here? So I definitely took it with pride and wanted to come out here and just showcase while I'm here.
Speaker 2: You took that both figuratively and literally of how to separate yourself from the other individuals out there, because you built plenty of separation throughout.
Speaker 4: What's led to the success.
Speaker 2: On the field of it was a film work preparation going into it.
Speaker 4: The workouts are what led you to having this success this week.
Speaker 25: I'm definitely saying my preparation through the entire day, Like how am I prepared for today or throughout this whole week? How can I separate myself with every guy here? Like, for example, I'm waking up at five o'clock before everybody here. It wakes up like I'm one of those guys that's gonna be going over my playbook and being able to know the plays before I get out there.
Speaker 5: Why is the quarterback doing this? Why am I doing this right here?
Speaker 25: And I tell you with pride, like I want to be able to separate myself from a lot of people because like it's an eater'll be eating game out here.
Speaker 5: So and the type of receiver I am, you have to be, And.
Speaker 25: Like I said, I'd take it with pride, and I'd never take anything for granted.
Speaker 7: When I'm here, you've been eating a lot. I would say, so far to these first three practices. But when you watch your film at Oregon and especially here in practices just at the line of scrimmage, you win so fast with your footwork and just getting out of the breaks quick. What is it about your skill set that you feel so strongly about in terms of what you can do early on in those first couple of steps to make a defensive back either flip their hips or make them decide on one way that you're going so you can win the route early.
Speaker 5: It's a chest game between me and a dB.
Speaker 25: So I know a lot of things far as like why dB is doing certain stuff. Thankful to my coach at Orgon Junior Adams, Cooper cup Tank Dale and Tyler Lockett so and t J was Mazada because I trained with him at uh La right now, So when I walk up to a line, I see what DV is doing.
Speaker 5: He's he's a lot like on his toes a lot.
Speaker 25: I know he's gonna try to get hands on press, but if he's on his heel, he don't want to get be deep at all and if he's just flat footed, his hips is lock. He can't turn the other way. No way impossible, you can get there. But I know those things before I even get to the line of screamage, and I know what I'm doing and I know how to win. And it's one of those things that I've always been able to do.
Speaker 5: I was always shifty, but before.
Speaker 25: I got the Organ, I was just running ask people on the ball in my hand. That's when I'd be able to be a playmaker. But it definitely changed when I got to Organ and being able to know coverages, no dbs and know how they finna play and.
Speaker 5: A lot of people played a big role in that for sure.
Speaker 9: For me, talk about this game being eating eat or be eaten, the game of life can very much be the same exact way. Growing up in Penson, Alabama, I'm familiar with their story, but to people who are maybe not familiar with your story growing up, what was that like for you and then being taken in by the family of bo Nicks and everything like that associated with it.
Speaker 25: When I was a sophomore in high school, like obviously I was a bad kid, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people was hard hitted when they was a kid, but now I was a little bit of stream. I'm definitely leaving my bio femine to go with the Nixes. It was definitely a big change because I was scared to death. I didn't know it was like how it was going to be. But they took me in with open arms like they didn't know a kid from a Canna paint, and they welcomed me into the house, and I was like, Okay, this can be good for me. And throughout that whole time, I'm watching both from a distance, like all right, this is how he talked to coaches, this is how he prepared for a practice, and this is why he do this on a game day.
Speaker 5: And I took it like, okay, I have to do that.
Speaker 25: I never told him that because like I didn't want him to be like pressured at the time, where like look at me in a different type of way. But pretty sure like now that I came out with and and said that, he's gonna definitely hear it.
Speaker 5: He's he's one of those guys.
Speaker 25: I tried to model my game out there, even though I was a receiver, Like he used to go out there at six o'clock at night, met him and dad and just go catch. But I didn't want to. I'm like, bro, it's six o'clock a night. We got school in the morning. Like my hands is hurting. I didn't used to catch like. I didn't used to catch the ball very good. I used to just drop a lot of pass but I progressively got better. My first game junior year receiver, I played against Whover High School George Pickens, and that's when I literally saw.
Speaker 5: A guy like he goes up and grab a ball. I'm like, oooh.
Speaker 25: That's when I knew George Picks was really like one of those guys that you don't want to mess with as far as guard.
Speaker 5: But I did have a pretty.
Speaker 25: Good game, and I was like, Okay, I can play this game, but now I got some more stuff to work on. And I knew that at a young age. Yeah, it was just one of those things. They took me in and wanted me to be a part of their family and they just did it out of love.
Speaker 9: So yeah, and then even coming out of high school, people were still doubting that you had to go the G five route going to Troy and proving yourself there going into that opportunity. How much of that did you want to make of it to end up at a program like Oregon and succeeds.
Speaker 25: I didn't know I was going to Oregon at all, Like out of high school. When they didn't offer me, I was like, Okay, my dream is not going to be what I always thought.
Speaker 8: So Oregon was your dream? Yeah, okay, got you.
Speaker 25: Sad Like Orgon was my dream school to go to no matter what. I was not going to Alabama. I wanted to go to Arguron with Bowe and play with them, but.
Speaker 5: It took a different route. So when I got.
Speaker 25: The Troy, Kobe happened play that year, We got that year back played three years at the that and I was like, Okay, I'm really good right now, Like my skill is a little different from the guys at Troy right now.
Speaker 5: Even the coaches knew.
Speaker 25: They was like, hey, hey, you're you're one of those guys that you can take a chance on yourself. Even the fans and towards the end of the season and my dad started talking about it, I was scared to have to hop back in because of my I thought there's gonna be another narrative like hey, you your side difference, Like I thought I was going to like Houston or like Louisville Memphis, because I texted him like, hey, you think we're gonna take me him jokingly saying nah, probably not.
Speaker 5: The whole time he was recruiting.
Speaker 25: Me, Like at heart, I was like, man, really all right, So now I'm gonna go to Memphis and show where I belong in any school because I remember I was in Nashville, Tennessee, and Tennessee told me literally over the phone, said hey, you too smart to playing SEC. That was a chip just laying on my shoulder and I wanted to play them first round of the playoffs so bad.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to play.
Speaker 25: Him, but it's one of those things. When I entered the portal and when Coach Adams called me because I never got a Cali area code call my phone ever and both coming home from Birmingham with his wife Izzy, and I answered the phone.
Speaker 5: He was like, hey, this Coach Adams from Organ.
Speaker 25: I'm looking like like my mom's sitting in this area right here, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, oh, this is Orgon Coach called me like.
Speaker 25: Right now, and before I know, I put it back to Money and said, hey, coach, I'm committed.
Speaker 8: Like, hey, what's up, I'm committing.
Speaker 25: I'm like, you don't have to say anything else. And that's when the video come out when Bo saying he's coming back. I was like, okay, yeah something sleep. But definitely I was like, oh yeah, we finished off the world because nobody really know that we were brothers, Like we're legitimately brothers, and nobody knew that, and we got to organ. A lot of people was like, that's your brother for real. I'm like, yeah, that's my brother, because I think it was one practice. Nobody's FINNSA say nothing to both far as like talking back to him, why you for this? But brothers, we argue, you know you can do this right here. I be there, just just throw it like you know what I'm saying. And everybody was looking at me like you can say that to him.
Speaker 8: It's like this new guy's talking crazy.
Speaker 5: I'm like, this is my brother. It's not like he's not God, but this is my brother.
Speaker 25: Like it's one of those things that I know how to get the best of the boat and he definitely know how to get the best of me because we're both competitive, so It's one of those things like when it happened, I was like, there's no way I'm up here playing with my brother like now Organ, because it was definitely a gym come true for me. And they started coming out like this kid is really like a true Organ fan, and they started getting to proof and stuff like that, and I'm like, yeah, there's no lie in none of these stories.
Speaker 5: It's definitely I'm a douhole Organ fan.
Speaker 4: That's one of the coolest draft stories I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: And of course you now have the chance to go to the NFL and have success just like Bo did. I mean, what was it like watching him succeed in Denver and really take the world by storm. You talked about the doubters from your own element. He had some doubters too, and he signed a lot of them.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. I was like, Okay, this is how he's gonna be in the first like game. I knew it was like I know bol like I knew like the back of my house was like, Okay, it might start off a little slow this season, and watch how they doubt him and he gonna come back and just be like they go like, oh, Wow, this kid is really good and show enough. It happened because I was at the first game in Seattle when he played them, and it was different.
Speaker 5: It looked it looked like when he was playing.
Speaker 25: At Arburn because of the colors to me, and it was just different because it was an NFL team. You didn't really know what you was finna get. You didn't really know what was going on. So when he got to playing and start knowing the offense, start getting like really really deep into it because I know bo, like he gonna be up there all night getting it done, and whoever was around him gonna get better because that's who is. He makes your team better and show enough towards the end of the season like he's he's one of those guys like Rookie of the Year type of thing.
Speaker 5: So yeah, for sure, I definitely knew it was coming.
Speaker 25: I never had one doubt in my mind about it because I always used to joke about him like we like when we played Kansas City. He didn't text me though, because you know, I can't see the fans. He didn't text me at all. He was like I think I wanted to text him, like hey, like go out there and ball.
Speaker 5: He didn't text you back. He knew it. He like, you can't see the fan.
Speaker 25: Don't even And yeah, so because when I was at the Seahawks game, my girlfriend actually worked for the Seahawks and she had an internship that just ended. She does sports entertainment there. And obviously I didn't get a ticket from both.
Speaker 5: I got to take from her. So it's one of those.
Speaker 25: Things like you gotta be there if you're gonna be at the game for me, And obviously I was cheering for both, but I was on the Seahawks just sitting there cheering for both, like and it was. I was so taken because the Seahawks fans knew, like that was my brother.
Speaker 4: Had a man up there.
Speaker 5: This was his brother right here. I'm man. They done figured it out.
Speaker 2: Ted Johnson wide receiver from Morgan joining us before we let you go.
Speaker 4: Of course, this is the Dallas Cowboys Draft show.
Speaker 2: And you talked about your connection with Oregon, your connection with bo and Denver, Seattle.
Speaker 4: I mean you've got a connection with Dallas too.
Speaker 2: You've got some friends and family that that are Cowboys fans.
Speaker 25: The oldest brother is a Cowboy fan, Diehard cowboy fan every time.
Speaker 5: Playing with Man.
Speaker 25: He played the Cowboys like he been since I can remember. He's been doing the Cowboys and uh, he's one of those guys. Is like, Bro, the Cowboys winning super Bowl, no matter what happens, they are winning the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Like it's my type of guy. I'm like, bro.
Speaker 25: Like I used to tell him like, hey, bro, like sometimes you just gotta be realistic, like sometimes, and he.
Speaker 5: Was like, don't worry, they gonna draft you. I was like, hey, look.
Speaker 25: I was like, hold on, don't don't you say that and they could happen right now. I don't know what are you talking about. And he was like, well, I think he's gonna happen, and I know it is going to happen.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, okay, here we go.
Speaker 25: Like if I go to these Cowboys, he gonna be at every single game.
Speaker 8: You're gonna have to get tickets for him every game for you may as well move him in.
Speaker 25: And he's definitely one of those like he's gonna be in there. Jersey Old had on like Cowboys down to the socks. I'm like, okay, if I go to the Cowboys, Bro, I pumis.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get you side there you go, so I define take care of him.
Speaker 2: To the Cowboys, what would it mean for you to be a part of the lineage such a rich history at the wide receiver position in the franchise of course most recently Ceede Lamb and what he's done.
Speaker 4: What would it mean for you to be drafted by Dallas?
Speaker 25: Ceedee Lamb is one of those guys that you watched because he's he's special with the ball in his hands too, and you got what's the return name?
Speaker 5: Turping?
Speaker 25: Okay, Turpin was one of those guys that I watched it because you can take a kick return pack and I'm like, hey, that guy's really good. And then you got back there. That's the that's been there for a while and really do good a lot because I think a lot of people hate on him and he's a really good quarterback to me because he does what he does and sometimes like a lot of quarterbacks don't have success.
Speaker 5: It's it's an up and down game, like you.
Speaker 25: Know, but the Cowboys are really really great franchise and just down to earth, and I know they hate the forty nine ers like it's one of those things like if I play for the Cowboys. I'm gonna hate the forty nine we love, but yeah, I love a Cowboys. See, Lamba is one of those things that guys I watch and if I play along side of him, I know there's gonna be a duo that's untouching that match for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, Tez, we appreciate you taking some time. We know you kept you a.
Speaker 2: Little long, but we love hearing your story, love watching you on the field, and we can't wait to watch it throughout the rest of the draft process. Along the way, we got a lot of fans back at home that are excited to watch you wherever you end up through the thirty two teams in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no problem, no problem, no problem.
Speaker 2: Tesz Johnson, Oregon wide receiver joining us. You'll catch him on the Recarch Senior Bowl field for the rest of the week.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: When we come back here on the Draft Show, we wrap things up and we take a final preview. I look at the Senior Bowl this upcoming week, plus we talk about the recent news of the extension of Will McLay in the front office.
Speaker 4: More to come with the Draft Show.
Speaker 22: Right after this, I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 23: Star Sports Tours is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 16: Star and talk x's and ods with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 23: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 16: Today.
Speaker 13: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect.
Speaker 12: Here, big news.
Speaker 11: We just dropped our very.
Speaker 10: Own Dude Perfect smoothie with Smoothie King. We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 12: Technically we all came up with it, Kobe.
Speaker 10: I mean you put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was want to say that. Oh that that's funny, honey, thank you.
Speaker 10: Anyways, give the dude perfect smoothie only at Smoothie King, my smoothie.
Speaker 18: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets?
Speaker 17: As we cheer for the stars.
Speaker 18: On the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets. NAT along with all our other favorite Tyson foods produce ducks. Sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star just like our Cowboys.
Speaker 17: As you enjoy your stars on and off the plate.
Speaker 18: Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 1: The Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into the Draft Show, presented by Millerlite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys, It's Miller time and Tommy Nick.
Speaker 4: That was probably my favorite day.
Speaker 2: Of interviews, absolutely, the Tess Johnson interview at the end, great job on that. Nick just kind of outlining his story in the Boonicks connection the background there. But all four of those guys were tremendous, And I hope fans at home really appreciate the stories behind the players that we are scouting, because yes, we understand it's investigator and educates. There's a lot of film that goes into this show. We can tell you more than anybody. But at the same time, these are also guys that are trying to get to know these uh players as a as a person and as somebody behind and off the football field as well.
Speaker 4: And I thought we got the chance to do that throughout the week.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was contemplating telling him that I was like one of the o g BO Nicks haters.
Speaker 4: But did you hear me sneak that question? And yeah, I did.
Speaker 8: I totally for you.
Speaker 2: I was going to get to it, but he he was kind I was waiting for you to like lean forward.
Speaker 5: I looked at him.
Speaker 9: He was he was talking a lot, which was great, and it's obviously phenomenal for the show and he got to tell the story. But if if I had a moment in there, I want to take it some accounability. I would have been like, look, man, I will tell you that I was one of B's original haters, but I have since come to the to the light and uh yeah, of rooting for both.
Speaker 4: No, it was a great interview.
Speaker 2: And I mean even Jack, you had, uh, you had Jake from from Clemson, you had Jack from Notre Dame, and then oh two baby, he was awesome too. That energy was incredible along the way. But uh, one thing we do have to hit before of course previewing the final uh moments of the Senior Bowl going into Saturday.
Speaker 4: But the Cowboys have extended.
Speaker 2: Will McClay since we last recorded a show from out here and we got the chance to talk to Will yesterday, talked to.
Speaker 4: Steven as well.
Speaker 2: This is big news for draft fans out there, keeping that same continuity. We've heard that that word a lot this offseason, but this is a good level of continuity to have Will mcqui Will McLay around for the next five years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Stephen Jones told us yesterday that the Cowboys with the hire of their new head coach and Brian Schottenheimer, and with retaining Will McLay and bringing Maddie Reflues back, that they're looking for a mix of continuity and a mix of change, right, And Will McLay is a step in the continuity direction, and it's a step that they needed to take because of the amount of success that he's had in his tenure with the Cowboys. I know, you can look at the last two drafts and you know, maybe say, hey, I don't think those those worked as well as maybe Cowboys fans thought they would. But at the same time, you also have to look at his entire track record, his entire history.
Speaker 6: These guys can't get everybody right. Nobody can.
Speaker 7: That's just unreasonable to ask off process. But they have hit on a very high clip and I think you have to give him credit for that, and I think Will McClay is one of the best in the game in doing that, and I think the Cowboys recognized that too. So Nick did a good job yesterday, Agaven the five year deal scooped in terms of it's a five year extensions that's through the twenty thirty draft, correct, Yeah, So you've got him for through the twenty thirty draft, and I think that, you know, you've got some young pieces to build around, and he's brought those guys in.
Speaker 6: He's got a chance to do it again here.
Speaker 7: We talked with him earlier in the week and he said that this draft class is full of depth guys and guys that you can maybe insert into a two deep end. When you look at how the Cowboys fared this season with so many injuries, that comes claringly important. So I think this is a great move from Dallas and Will very clearly. I mean, he literally said I wanted to be here. I wanted to be here, and now he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The quote that stood out to me was it's the same quote there, Tommy. He said, I wanted to be here with the crew and what we've built. I have always say to that when I got here, my main goal was to be a part of something that gave us an opportunity to win another Super Bowl. I've got to continue to do that and I got to do my job better. Getting the opportunity to do that with these people is extremely important to me. And I think, you know, Will McLay obviously, I think he's one of the most underrated front office personnel in the entire NFL, only because he's been in this role for so long here with the Cowboys. But you know, this is the place he wants to be, and I think he made that pretty evident, not only by signing this five year extension, but in the interview that he gave us yesterday.
Speaker 8: You know, he could go be a GM somewhere, and.
Speaker 9: He has had teams interested him, interested in him in the past to potentially even interview for a GM spot, and he hasn't even taken any interviews. You know, Dallas is where he's been since I believe two thousand. This is a this is a spot that has been comfortable to him. He went to Rice at Texas is a big part of you know, what he does. From a scouting perspective as well, this is a It's a huge win for the front office. It's a huge win for the Cowboys to go ahead and lock him up for the long term. The college scouting has clearly taken a big step forward with him leading since twenty fourteen. I mean, you look at all the Pro Bowlers and all that he's had, whether it be Zach Martin or Tyler Smith or Micah Parsons, their cdee Lamb in the first round, or it could be Day three, Day two, guys like Dak Prescott, Deron Bland, Jake Ferguson. I mean, he is, him and his scouting department have done a phenomenal job. Granted, I think you're right, Tommy, these last two drafts have not been up to the standard, but it's something that with Will McClay and his department, you know the good ones are gonna come well.
Speaker 2: And that goes back to what Tommy was saying and what Steven Jones quote was yesterday. If the continuity and change, there are good things that this team has done, no doubt about it. I mean the fifteen Pro bowlers under McCarthy, excuse me, mcclay's tutelage, and then what Mike McCarthy did to win the twelve games over the three years in Dallas showed that they can't have success with some of the place holders that they have on this team and in this roster.
Speaker 4: However, there's other things that need to change. This was not an area like that. This was not an area that needed to change.
Speaker 2: Something that needs to change is running the football better, playing defensive line, or having that front seven better. And they've had some different hires through out the last couple of days that have gotten there too. But I think for this audience and the Draft show, nothing was more priority first than signing Will McClay long term. And now the guessing game is almost over. We've talked about this on the Draft Show throughout where what is the next plan? What is the next thing up? And where are you going to go? Because you didn't know who your head coach was, you didn't know what the future was around Will McClay. Now you know both of those answers, and we can start kind of honing in on what is important, especially in an event in a week like this, where it's the prospects, it's trying to get the best guys.
Speaker 4: And that's what I asked Will yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was like, we talked about alignment quite a bit from the front office down to the very small parts of this organization, and he said, I think we're in alignment now. And I asked him, what's the next domino? Then you had the coach, Now you're signed, what's the next domino?
Speaker 4: He said, let's get some.
Speaker 2: Good football players in here, yep, And let's have some let's go win some games.
Speaker 4: And I feel like that's now.
Speaker 2: The focus, which that's why, aside from locking him up long term, that's why this was a smart move to get it done early, get it done before before there's any guessing game going into the combine, going into interview times or whatever he was going to end.
Speaker 4: Up seeing in terms of his interest.
Speaker 2: Will mclay's going to be here for a while and now you can focus on getting the prospects to come and help Brian Schottenheimer have some success.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely, And I think it was interesting yesterday too when we talked to Steven Jones that he kind of gave us a little bit of insight in terms of a little bit what they may be looking for to start with the offensive coordinator position.
Speaker 6: It's a process that's ongoing. They're working on it as we speak.
Speaker 7: You can expect that to probably get wrapped up here soon since they want to build this staff quickly.
Speaker 6: But he was mentioning that he's they kind of looking for a guy who checks the run game box.
Speaker 7: So whether that be a former offensive line coach, filmer, running backs coach. I know we've got a coaching tracker that Patrick Walker is working on on Dallas Cowboys dot Com, so you can read that to be up with the latest. But I think that's really important, and that's crucial because you look at some of the offensive linemen here and the running backs here that we've talked to, and it certainly can make sense why somebody like that would fit into Dallas's scheme. And he said, we want to be able to run the ball. We want to be able to run the ball. Dallas did not run the ball well at points last season, so it makes sense that they want to do that in the run game going to set up the pass. Brian Schottenheimer said that he wants play action to be part of his scheme as a head coach and as a play caller. So all of that starts with running the football, and right now Dallas needs help upfront and in the running game at the running back position.
Speaker 6: I feel like to be able to do that effectively.
Speaker 2: So does that mean asking gent at twelve is confirmed we're talking about here or if.
Speaker 8: He gets there.
Speaker 9: If he gets there, that's going to be a really tough prospect for not only this new head coach, but this.
Speaker 8: Front off is to pass on.
Speaker 5: I got it.
Speaker 9: We've talked about this running back class, and obviously you can get a Really I was talking with someone here in Mobile a couple of nights ago, and we were having the running back conversation. Right it's like, Okay, well, Gent's value potentially decrease in the first round because of the running back class, and team's feeling like, hey, yeah, Gent's phenomenal, clear RB one when we can go get a guy on day two or day three and be very comfortable with that. And that guy told me he was like, yeah, but how many dudes are in the class.
Speaker 8: He's like, there's probably only two. And I don't know who he thought the second one was.
Speaker 9: And he's like, if you feel like you can get one of those dudes, go get one of the dudes, especially if you know first time head coach, you know, bringing in, you know, an offensive playmaker, offensive difference maker. That would certainly be gen Z. I think it's a I think it's a fascinating conversation.
Speaker 2: It really is, and it's going to continue on further as we go along. And the thing about Ashton Gent too, is when you spend that twelfth if the Cowboys had already solidified everything else around them. I think it would be a no brainer done, but there's so many other positions that are going to be there. I still think best player available is very much in play, and we haven't even gotten to at least some resemblance of free agency that we're going to see if there is any action in free agency or not, we'll still that's still yet to be seen. However, right now I think best player available, which very well could be Ashton Gent at that point in time, whenever he falls to the board. All Right, the Senior Bowl is on Saturday. We've got the Shrine Bowl coming up tonight at and T Stadium. Anything that you guys are looking for going into a busy week now that we've had the practices in the books, moving into what is going to be a couple of big games along the way, Well.
Speaker 7: No, I think it's always important to see these guys in game environments now, right, Like practices and all that is one thing, but now you get to see him play in the game, and that's where you get to see the competitive nature and all those kinds of things like that. So we were at the Shrine Bowl for a couple of days, and there are some standouts there, Kyle, A lot of the tension goes to the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 6: But I thought there was some good players.
Speaker 7: I thought Isaiah na Or, the wide receiver from Nebraska, had a really good second practice. Isa Pole, guy who's not really talked about too much, but a tackle out of Washington State. I thought he played really well. In a local Dallas area guy R J. Mickens from Clemson. He was fun to talk to and fun to see around. And then Todd Brooks running back from Texas Tech. One of the most productive guys in this class considering what he did all four years in Lubbocky basically shattered every rushing record they had out there. So a lot a lot of guys to watch tonight, and you know, is fun watching him in practice and now we get to see him in game action.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 8: Yeah, excited for the Shrine Bowl.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna head out of here and get on a flight so I can get back in time to catch that at ATMT Stadium tonight. But yeah, I think with these game environments, like you said, Tommy, obviously the game environments are where you can draw a lot of stock from, but just building consistency.
Speaker 8: You know, a lot of these guys.
Speaker 9: You know, it's it's tough on the first one or two days of practice because you're playing with all new teammates, especially like in the receiving game, like the rhythm with quarterbacks is always going to take a little bit of time to figure out. But now that we're getting to Thursday and then to the game on Saturday, you start to see what consistency looks like and guys that can adapt really quick, and that's what you need the NFL. You need to adapt as soon as you hit the field, whether that be in rookie minni caamp or training camp. I mean, you can look at the Cowboys case last year and all the rookies that eventually had to play. You talk about Amer's LEFL. He adapted super fast in a role that I don't think we would have anticipated this time last year. I think we were probably talking about Maris as a phis or six round pick at this point last year. So you know, it's it's it's definitely a lot that you can take from these kinds of environments, and surely the thirty two scouting departments are looking at it.
Speaker 4: No doubt about it.
Speaker 2: And we've had a lot of fun here on Radio Row Here at the Reese's Senior Bowl. Keep up to date with everything on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We'll be back on Tuesday to break it all down for you on the Draft Show with our full cast ready to rock again for you on Tuesday and Thursday next week back at the Star in Frisco once again. Special thanks to Chris Beam for Scott Purcell for setting all this up being back in studio, Jasmine Marshall, Paul Bestidas, back there, everybody that's a part of this, because there's been a whole cast of crew that's helped put all this together and what has been a new thing we've tried here this year, and I think it's gone very well.
Speaker 5: They orderly.
Speaker 4: I think I did too.
Speaker 2: We'll probably do some of this more so in the future as well, but we had a ton of people that had their hands on this one all the way through it. Tommy Yurish, Nick Harris Here at the Senior Bowl. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long for Mobile Alabama. We'll see you on Tuesday with more of the Draft Show, presented by Miller Lay.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club