Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks. It is Saturday, September twentieth, watching boats on the Hudson River, a date night, some spring cleaning, and a horror movie. How did you recover this week? Because that's how we did it. Welcome everybody to this recovery run episode of Amy and tj Our recovery runs roads remind people we are big runners. We have marathoners even but every once in a while, you don't need to run twenty six miles or even ten. Sometimes you just got to get a two milerant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take it, you take it slow, you take it easy. You're still active, you're still moving, you're still doing, but you're giving your body a chance to recover while you stay active. And so it's a it's a thing runners. We do it weekly, and so we figured let's make a run on Saturday. Our Saturday morning run is a little recovery run from all the headlines and all the news. I feel like we say this every Saturday morning, what a hell of a week in the news world, and it just continues and ramps up. We are just in a vicious cycle of debilitating headlines.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to put it. There's been some ugliness, some nasty. That's not just in terms of debate, but the story out of Pennsylvania this week with officers being killed, certainly the story with David the singer, the dead body found in his trunk, it just it has been. And then don't even start with the Kirk and the politics and the back and forth and Kimmel. Yeah, how ugly and sad and shocking. A lot of the news has been. So let's recover, please, from all that. Our plan? Do we have a plan? We don't usually have a plan to recover, but we do. Sometimes we make an effort to say, hey, you know what, let's put this stuff down, let's just go outside. I think it was a day this week. You looked up and I think it was dark out. You said, yeah, I'll take a walk with you. I haven't been outside today.
Speaker 2: Correct. We actually have been organizing so much this week that, yes, we work from home most days, and then when you get into this reorganized phase, you end up not leaving the apartment ever. So, yes, it wasn't until I believe that day. It wasn't until eight thirty at night I realized it was the first time I walked out of the apartment, and it's funny.
Speaker 1: The only reason you had walked out previously is because you accidentally dropped something off off our balcony.
Speaker 2: Uh, it didn't hit anybody, It's true, I want to say, but really bad about it. Was super happy that no one was there. It happens. That's why you should always look up and maybe avoid balconies when you're walking in math.
Speaker 1: So that was a that was actually Robes. I think it's me I needed sometime. I think you know, when I go walking sometimes I start sending you fast, furious text messages because when I'm moving around when I'm walking, I but uice to start flowing. Man, I can start, I start vibing my mind, it's fresh, and I start sending all kinds of ideas. So, yes, that is a big part and we'll be a big part of our recovery runs. Walking is a part of our recovery.
Speaker 2: Is and I have really enjoyed it because obviously we're runners. But you have gotten me into walking a lot recently, and I actually don't think I've ever taken many long walks in my life except for with you, and so that's kind of cool. It's our thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't ever. Yeah, we don't take them for exercise ever. It's just a matter of just getting out, getting some fresh air, seeing what we can see. We have some big we're big time people watchers. We just find people so fascinating.
Speaker 2: Especially you learn, yes, you learn a lot about yourself actually watching other people. So we have fun. We have fun watching folks, and we actually have had some fun watching boats. I mean we've I've made myself laugh and cracked up at how much if you really actually just start to notice what's around you, how you can really get your head out of all of those crazy spaces in places we're in when we're reading headlines and we're reading the news and we're worried about the future, and we're worried about what comes next. If you just remember when we were on vacation, we just started watching seagulls. It lasted for hours. It was one of my favorite moments of the summer, was just watching nature. And so right here in New York, we don't have a lot of nature. I'll be honest. We have pigeons and rats and roaches. But if you can find your way, make your way over to one of our rivers, either the Hudson River or the East River. There is a lot of beautiful boat activity and I maybe I'm just getting older, but it's just I find myself transfixed, transformed, mesmerized by just watching boats go back and forth on the river, just the simple things in life.
Speaker 1: You know. It's the thing we always try to train, or well, we always, I guess every therapist, every great thinker of the past thousands and thousands of years trying to get you to stay in the moment, to be present. And that's the key to happiness, to stay right here. If you stay right here, you can't worry about this or that or the third. You just right here. I am looking out the window at a boat going by, and as you're doing that, you just get lost and you follow it. Your mind is on exactly what you're looking at and seeing and doing. I think that has been a part of our piece this week.
Speaker 2: It has. And if we open up the windows, because we do have beautiful weather this time of year here in New York City, even the sound of a boat, yeh, can just make my muscles relax. I don't want to own a boat. There are a lot of work, but I love watching them just glide across the water from a sailboat to a barge to the Staten Island Ferry. I have thoroughly enjoyed that this week and have really made a point to focus on it. And I know you say we don't set out, hey, how are we recovering today? Because then that just feels like work, like you're working to find a plan to recover. But I do, and we have been intentional. I am recognizing the moments when we need to, when I need to and how weak when you are getting like you can feel the stress and tension in your body from all the negativity in this world. I think that's the one I Sometimes I get a headache, my body will tell me, hey girl, you need to relax. But it is how.
Speaker 1: Your body talks to you. You hey girl, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No's a it's a nagging headache. Usually that's when I know I need to put the computer away and I need to just see what's around me and live in the moment. And so yeah, that has been something that I think we both have been more intentional about.
Speaker 1: We had its weird as we've been talking about this, both of us. We both angled our bodies toward the window and we're staring out the window at all these boats going by now. But it's but yeah, that has been a very cool part when you can stay focused and you don't even realize. But yeah, that's why. Because I'm looking at that playing go by right now, I'm not thinking about work, I'm not thinking about the Kimmel's story. I'm not thinking about tragedy. I'm just taking a moment and taking it in.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's and I think part of this, and I don't know that I ever recognized this before. Part of the reason why we love movies, and in particular thrillers or horrors is because they are you are in the moment. You are now in a fairy tale, made up world where you don't have to think of all the real, actual horror stories going on in this country and around the world, and so it's a fun distraction. I've always called it safe fear, where you're experiencing fear, but you're perfectly safe and wildly entertained. So I think we try at least once a week, but at least three times a month ago see a movie. And we have so many fun movies that have come out now because everyone's finally gotten on board with what we've been saying all along that horror movies are awesome, and Stephen King hadn't and this one hasn't been hasn't gotten a lot of attention. I haven't seen a lot of press or headlines about it. But this was actually his first novel which I did not know, The Long Walk, and you and I went to go see that at the start of the week and had an absolute blast. It was that was which night was at Sunday night we went Sunday theater was the start of the week and it was absolutely packed.
Speaker 1: And I recommend those movie to everybody. It is thought, don't remember ire there has been one tears and watching a horror movie. Now, this was Stephen King. So you know he often has stories that do have heart, these coming of age stories often about brotherhood. There are such powerful friendships and dialogue and imagery that it is you find people who are in a life of death struggle, knowing that if they survive, then that means everybody else dies, or if somebody else wins, it means I die. And even in the throes of the most critical life and death competition, they found friendship and love and respect for each other. I love this movie, and I love you know, obviously love horror movies. Man, I like the heart so much of this movie may or.
Speaker 2: With heart it could be our favorite genre.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go to that quar because Hard Eyes you had me in a rom common. I didn't realize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a rom com horror mashup, which also was super fun. Look, I love anything, you know, we love horror comedies. We we just we love a classic horror movie. But this has been really fun watching some sub genres. Take a Foot and Stephen King. This is an oldie, but a goodie. I mean, this is a story that's been available for any of us to read for years and years and years, but I was not aware of it. So this was really cool to be able to see it. And it's less of a horror movie more of a thriller. You don't know how it's gonna end. And there is some gore we should point out, Oh yeah, because Stephen King is always what what's the Stephen King movie without a little gore?
Speaker 1: Misery? Was his? Was there a lot of gore his?
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe not visual gore, but emotional gore. When she took that that meat. Was it a meat? Yes, and literally hobbled him with Okay, yeah, that was a meat tender riser right on his ankles. Pretty gory.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yes, that was that was pretty tough. I'm sorry. I'm thinking about like a monster or killing in the forest type. There wasn't.
Speaker 2: No, it was more of a thriller though. That's and that would be kind of a similar thing where it's building and the tensions building and you know what's about to happen and you know something's coming. That's classic Stephen King. But anyway, that was a very fun intentional recovery.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this is gonna mess you up? Do you know the movie Licorice Pizza? You remember that movie?
Speaker 2: So I heard a lot about it, but I never saw it.
Speaker 1: Okay, the kid that stars in The Long Walk is a kid who was in Licorice Pizza.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Now, do you remember what I said about him in the movie. Well, you didn't know this was going to come up. But do you remember what I said about the lead actor of the White the White Kid? No, I said, I love him. He's this kind of everyman. Yes, he's not sexy. Hollywood star. But man, he is really making me feel him and relate to him. He was just wonderful. Every man. That kid was in that movie Licorice Pizza. His name is Koop Hoffman. He is the son of Philip Seymour Hoffman. I had no idea. Oh I'm looking at it right now. Now you see the face, you see the build.
Speaker 2: Even and you understand the talent.
Speaker 1: Man, he is so damn good in this movie that just.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we just found that out in real time. That is a game changer, just in terms of we recognized how unbelievably well acted this movie was. But I had no idea. He is the son of the legendary late Philip Seymour Hoffman. That makes perfect sense now now if you now, hopefully that will make those of you listening even more excited about potentially watching this movie, because we just couldn't recommend it more.
Speaker 1: And we do. It's not we're not they're not promoting or they're not endorsing for any reason, but we are pushing and promoting this movie as much as you can. I know there are some horror, horrorfule, horrific moments of deaths that are tough to see. But man, I just sweart. There's so many examples once again that relate to today's day and time, the moment we're in where you look at an adversary where literally life is on the line, but you have love for this other person. Oh great, great, great movie.
Speaker 2: And I actually think despite the bloodshed, that it's actually a movie that is worth seeing in the times we're in in terms of brotherhood and acceptance and being sacrificial and being willing to put love above selfish interests. It has all of those things. And speaking of love, I loved our date night. We actually went out to a beautiful restaurant and had a wonderful meal.
Speaker 1: Do you have two date nights?
Speaker 2: Well, we have had two day nights. I thought there was just one date night.
Speaker 1: I thought we had more than one.
Speaker 2: Really, it's been a busy week.
Speaker 1: Or am I thinking we did?
Speaker 2: We had one the week before.
Speaker 1: We went to two restaurants in the same night.
Speaker 2: Correct, it was one date night and we got terrible service, and so we had a drink and we said, yeah, I think we're just gonna leave it with that. Can we have the bill? And then I had the idea, remember that awesome restaurant, and so we decided that, you know, this is a good way to look at it, instead of getting upset and angry at being literally unable to be served and then everything on their menu not being available once we tried to order. It was hilarious. It was a comedy of just really, could you make this situation even worse? But then we figured out when it led us to the restaurant we should have been out all along. We decided it was the best thing that could have happened, that they didn't have multiple things on the menu that we wanted because it was a day that the tuna didn't come in in time. I don't know, but we ended up at the place we needed to be, and it all worked out. And I do like to look at that. Sometimes you make fun of me, but sometimes it makes sense that this whole other concept of obstacles or detours in the right direction. But sometimes when things don't work out and you want things to and you wish you could, it's because you're supposed to be somewhere else, And so it led us where we were supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Sure, how many I have had a countless example all of us. Do anybody listening can start. Yeah, I remember that. I remembered, yes, But in the moment is where we lose control. In the moment, we could have gone, Matt got give me the manager, what's going on? We gotten pissed when you said to me, you know what, why do we go to that place where we love that that chicken and the great margaritas.
Speaker 2: I'm like, baby, that's what's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Let's finish this wine and get the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what we did. And we had a wonderful night. So that was awesome. We've been doing really, really well at getting at least one night where it's you and me going to dinner and just making the time for it to be just us and not focused on work. We were not We didn't talk about work once that night.
Speaker 1: Really. Wow, we've been doing well with that With we kids, it's been a little difficult. It's Analysa's going back to college now, Ava's officially moved out to being as back in school, but we're on the clock every day because when Savine comes, when she gets out of two thirty five, she comes in hot. Yes, she got stories and tells she's got stuff. She wants to do. She's very engaged and active. The only thing that's been saving us some When she'll say yeah, me and my friends are gonna got out, we like, hoo, okay, you'll keep up busy as long as possible.
Speaker 2: No, that's been and then we end up just doing more work though, So it is it is. We do kind of have to make that choice to say, Okay, tonight, we're gonna just have it be us and we're not gonna talk about work, and that has been wonderful because in between work we've also. You said spring cleaning at the top of this, but I guess it's really autumnal cleaning. But doesn't it feel good to just declutter and to cleanse. I think that's something that it's interesting how when you do it to with the space you live in, what it does to your mind and what it does to your psyche and your attitude and just your overall energy when you're just lighter.
Speaker 1: It could be shocking how much stuff we keep that we don't need. It's shocking when you go through I'm like, why do we have this mini bag? Youre telling me I had this much trash in my home.
Speaker 2: I had fifteen bags that Goodwill came and picked up fifteen bags and I'm still finding more. I wish I had waited.
Speaker 1: See, and those are the good clothes, right, you have stuff. There's stuff we have that I don't need this, I don't wear this, nobody can use this. It's got fourteen holes, what like, just stuff laying around. So yes, that feels absolutely great to be getting rid of stuff. And it feels great. Now you're going to be donating to a place where people can take advantage of some of the clothes that you.
Speaker 2: Have just for success is a great place.
Speaker 1: I am going to be working as well with the organization here where young black men. I feel so much better. I have so many suits and nice clothes that they could go to somebody who could use it. So that also, what do they always say robes, that that's the way, that's the way to serve would be happy to best happy is you have to find a way to serve others. This isn't some major undertaking, but still we were happy to be able to clean out. But wow, it's going to somebody's benefit.
Speaker 2: Look, we had a lot of clothing that we don't really need anymore. When you are on the air five days a week. You have to have a lot of clothes and a lot of shoes. It's unbelievable how that stuff all adds up.
Speaker 1: We have a shoe problem, and we have it.
Speaker 2: We still have a shoe problem, you know what. We mostly have a running shoe problem. How many running shoes we should take a picture? No, it's too embarrassing of how many running shoes you and I have between the two of us in this closet, and neither one of us want to part with any of them because they all are attached to memories of races that we loved running. We have a problem.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm never getting rid of my marathon shoes, any shoes I crossed the finish line of marathon and will be with me falla. But other than that, the others I got more shoes than marathons. Let's seat that tons more.
Speaker 2: That is an understatement. Do you know if you estimated, Like obviously we didn't count because I think we didn't count because it'd be too embarrassing. But how many running shoes do you think you have?
Speaker 1: The Uh? Probably ten to twelve would be my guest.
Speaker 2: I think you have more than that, Really, I do. I think I have ten to twelve.
Speaker 1: You're yes for me? Is what? It's not twenty I.
Speaker 2: Think you have. I was gonna go fifteen to eighteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, folks, you know what We'll do this then quick break. When we come back, we'll tell you exactly how many Alpha Fly shoes we got in the closet.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone to this Saturday morning run. It's our recovery run. And speaking of runs, yes, if you are with us from the first break, you will know. We just ran over to our closet and counted our Nike Alpha Flies. My number is at eight, but I did have ten, so I gave away two pairs and now I have eight, which is about six more than I need, but eight that I love. How about you, babe?
Speaker 1: I was surprised I only have three pair.
Speaker 2: You're hilarious.
Speaker 1: I guess I threw a lot more stuff out.
Speaker 2: You are not.
Speaker 1: No, I keep thinking lean.
Speaker 2: It turns out my prediction was extremely accurate.
Speaker 1: I have fifteen pairs. I have fifteen, but I've been running for a while. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You just gave away once you had sixteen. My guess was fifteen to eighteen. You were at sixteen. It's unbelievable. And these are big shoes. They're wide, and so do they take up so much room in the closet. It's absurd to think I have more running shoes that I have Heels right now is such a departure from where I used to be, because I have given away over the last two years, like pretty much all of my heels because I just don't wear five inch stilettos anymore when I'm not in a studioso bad. I know. I do have a few for a red carpet. I don't even wear them on date night, date night. I'm usually still on the sneakers.
Speaker 1: I know, baby, despite my objection, that's where we are. But I like you, no, no, no, because you take walking down the street. It takes forever. I just get to the end of the block and wait on you to catch up. It's just every time people, I do not do that.
Speaker 2: And I know, but then I say, you try walking in these heels, and.
Speaker 1: I do sometimes and it doesn't I don't know how y'all do.
Speaker 2: Very very funny. But the cool thing is we're still we have a little bit more purging to do, but not much. And the cool thing is, and this is what I'm I've said this a lot, and I'm really going to try to live with this. I was trying to explain the Marie Condo way of tidying up. I love her, I love her book, and she holds up articles and says, does this bring me joy? And if it brings you joy, you keep it. But if you're really honest with yourself, some of the things you're holding on to, it's because they're attached to memories that you feel guilty about letting go of, whether someone gave it to you as a gift or represented a different time in your life when maybe you weren't feeling as much joy. When you're really honest about the feeling, and you get a feeling when you look at an object, whether it's clothing or artwork or a figurine whatever, you can make your decisions so easily by and then you'll know when you put it in the giveaway pile or the throwaway pile, you feel instant relief. And it's true you've been laughing, but I said you should just hold it up and say, does this bring me joy? So you've had some fun with that on me.
Speaker 1: If you walk in the room and I have a pair of shorts held up to the light, going, wow, do these bring me joy? You? Hey, idiot, will you stop that? Just throw the shorts out. It seemed like a weird exercise, but it works.
Speaker 2: It works, and so by doing so, it frees up some space. And we have made some purchases together while we've been on some trips, and so it's been fun because we're just now getting around to putting those things out because there's room for them now. And you have walked in and actually commented this morning saying, man, I love that. That just makes me so hapok at that.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we picked up a few items in Sweden on a recent trip. I think the main ones we have these new cantons. God, we are so grown. I'm excited about candle holders. God, what has happened to me?
Speaker 2: And lava lamp parts?
Speaker 1: This okay, I will post if anybody challenged me on this one. This is the coolest item in the house. It is just a little heart that lights up and it has it looks like a snow globe with lights that constantly just has the glitter moving inside the heart. So being pointed out, it looks like the logo from Love Island the Heart. But it's gold and it's lit up, and it's sitting in a perfect spot next to this decanter we have next to a couch and when the lights are it is it I'm looking at. It brings me so much.
Speaker 2: John, And you know what that is really important, I think to overall sense of just peace and joy and contentment when you're in your home, your surroundings. I've always been a believer in that people are into the zen thing, whatever it is. But I do believe what you have around you affects how you feel, just generally speaking. So when you have things around you that spark joy, which is the whole Marie Condo thing, you will feel more joyful period. And so we've been working on curating what's around us. And I even said, because we've been, you know, blending our things together, and I've said, you have total veto power. If you don't like something that I have that I brought from another place, then it's gone, it's out. And I think that has been a really fun exercise in making our house a home.
Speaker 1: What about vetoed, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you said, you said, I could take it or leave it, and so I was like, for now, we'll just keep it on the side.
Speaker 1: It was something I think I've done.
Speaker 2: A couple but I don't know if you've absolutely vetoed anything yet. But I'm totally cool with that, and I think veto power is a good way to go about it. I don't know how other couples go about deciding what goes on the wall and what, and some people don't care at all, but I do think it's actually one of the most important things you do is what you put around you, what you surround yourself with, and it's something that I don't think people consider sometimes enough, because when you walk into a room, you have a feeling.
Speaker 1: Do you not You usually based on who's in the room.
Speaker 2: But what's in the room, and that matters. So we've been focusing on that this week and we'll continue to do so this week. But thank you so much for listening to us as always on this Saturday morning recovery run. We hope you have a wonderful weekend. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. Will talk to you soon.