Speaker 1: You're listening to the Freeway Fanom, a production of iHeartRadio, Tenderfoot TV, and Black Bar METSPHAH. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the podcast author or individuals participating in the podcast, and do not represent those of Ourheartmedia, Tenderfoot TV, Black Bar, MITZVAH, or their employees. This podcast also contains subject matter that may not be suitable for everyone. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty four, when I decided to reopen the cases, I was really concerned because in talking to some other detectives that other people around they were under the impression that the cases were closed.
Speaker 3: And I knew better.
Speaker 2: I knew that, you know, there had been a massive investigation of the being Vega guys, but the evidence eventually showed that that was a farce, that they didn't have anything to do with it. So I decided I was going to take up the banner of these cases because they should have been close. There wasn't a real emotional toll on me when I went to homicide. My primary reason for going to homicide was to handle all the instant deaths, the child's deaths in the city, the abortion cases, and so seeing young people dead, you don't ever get used to it, but you know that's part of your job, and once you break down and cry and so forth, then you're not serving the public because your personal feelings get in the way of what you're.
Speaker 3: Trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: You know, after you work so hard on the case and you talk to so many people, you kind of get a feeling of what types of young ladies they were, and the fact that the youngest woman was ten years of age. You know, you can imagine how they felt that somebody had abducted them off the street and there was.
Speaker 3: Nobody to stop it.
Speaker 2: And then the abduction site were heavily populated places, but.
Speaker 3: Nobody saw anything, and it's just so hard to believe.
Speaker 2: And so, you know, I felt that, hey, if I can bring resolution to these cases, I will do it. I'm going to try my best to do it. But I'm also going to try to make sure should I not be able to get a resolution in these cases, then I'm going to see that everything that was humanly possible is done to solve these cases. I felt I owe that to the family and owe that to the girl.
Speaker 4: The homicide detectives termed the cases the little girl cases.
Speaker 2: This child was laying on the side of the road.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't go no way, I wouldn't talk about house.
Speaker 3: Those first five murderers should have been a huge warning belt for the police.
Speaker 6: We just want to know what happened.
Speaker 3: Person must have saw that.
Speaker 2: They were thinking that maybe it's just one person, and he says, oh, they need to know.
Speaker 1: This is me.
Speaker 4: I thought that they would catch him.
Speaker 5: I thought it was just a matter of time.
Speaker 6: I'm Celeste Headley, and this is freeway Phantom. The murders of eight young black girls, six of whom were confirmed Freeway Phantom victims, were undeniably tragic, but their cases were just the beginning. In the decades since their murder, the plight of missing and murdered black girls in DC has only intensified. Today, it just looks a little different, but the issue of these cases not getting the proper media coverage or police attention they deserve is still too prominent.
Speaker 5: Each year, they are over six hundred thousand people reported missing in the United States, and close to forty percent of persons of color, and that numbers about two hundred and seventy thousand a year that's reported missing. There's so many more individuals that are not reported missing to law enforcement, where they're not added to the national crime database. These families are not speaking up, so we believe that the numbers are much larger.
Speaker 6: This is Natalie Wilson, one of the co founders of the Black and Missing Foundation.
Speaker 5: The inspiration behind the Black and Missing Foundation is that in two thousand and four, Tamka Houston vanished from Spartanburg, South Carolina, and that's the hometown of my sister in law, Derko, and we learn how her family struggled to get media coverage, particularly national media coverage around her disappearance. So Derek and I decided to do some research. We weren't sure if this was an issue affecting the minority community, particularly the Africa American community, and most aren't young, attractive white women. In fact, most were persons of color, particularly black African Americans, and they made up thirty percent of all persons missing and attracted almost no media coverage at all, especially nationally. So you know, it weighed really heavy on our hearts, and Dereka and I decided why not us, why don't we do something about it because I'm in public relations or media relations and Dereka's in law enforcement, and those are the two critical professions needed to bring awareness to our missing and that's how the organization, the Black and Missing Foundation was created. We said, you know, if we can just bring one person home or provide closure for one family, we have done our job. And now we're motivated to keep going because forty percent of all persons missing are of color, and these families rely on us. We are their last resort. By the time they get to us, they're desperate, they don't know what to do, and many times they're not getting the assistance from law enforcement or the media to help find their missing loved one.
Speaker 6: Natalie says one of their core objectives is getting the media involved. Whenever there's a new missing person's case.
Speaker 5: Media coverage is very important, especially intense early media coverage. It ensures that the community is looking for that missing individual and it increases the chance of a recovery. And for us throughout the years, because we started this organization in two thousand and eight, I've been able to build media partnerships with black Press so that again they're using their platforms with millions or hundreds of thousands of followers to help us get the word out about a missing individual. So it's vital and we believe that media coverage should be equal across the board.
Speaker 6: We asked Natalie why historically the media is so hesitant to report on these cases.
Speaker 5: Well, there are a number of reasons for the lack of media coverage. One is we're realizing that when a child is reported missing oftentime, law enforcement they classify the child as a runaway, so they do not receive any type of media coverage or especially the Amber alert at all, and that is not necessarily the case. We have so many cases of missing children where law enforcement classified them as a runaway and they did not leave voluntarily. So we need to stay away from that phrase as runaway because ultimately, even if the child left home voluntarily, what are they leaving from and ultimately what are they running too. We know that children who leave home voluntarily, they're on the streets within twenty four to forty eight hours. Their proposition for sex because they have to find a way to survive, and they have to find a way for you know, housing, food security, and these predators, you know, they get them into a lifestyle that they cannot get out of us. We also need to change the narrative that missing black and brown individuals are most likely involved with some type of criminal activity and they're represented as such in the news cycle. You know, we have to realize that these missing individuals, they have names, and they are an important part of our society, our community. Their mothers, their fathers, their sisters. There's brothers, aunts, uncles, their grandparents, and we need to make sure that we represent them in the best light.
Speaker 6: Natalie says the issue has become much more complex than it was during the time of the Freeway Phantom, but she says there are things we can do now.
Speaker 5: You know, many of our cases, it highlights the significant racial injustices, you know, not just in policing but media.
Speaker 3: So we need.
Speaker 5: To make sure that we vote and that there are laws to protect our children. You know, Marylyn has a safe harbor law where if an underage child has been arrested for prostitution, that they are not thrown into jail. They are then taken to a safe house where they're given the resources to be rehabilitated. So we need to see laws like this that protects our community. And there also needs to be laws where there's a sense of urgency and a sense of fairness when a person is reported missing. So again there's a loophole with the Amber Alert. So if you're classified as a runaway, you do not receive the Amber Alert or any type of media coverage. How do we close that gap? We need to really take a look at it to ensure that the individual who did not voluntarily leave home gets the right classification when they're reported missing.
Speaker 6: Natalie told us about one case that highlights the problems evident in the current system. It was a story of a girl named Relisha Rudd who went missing in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 5: She and her family were evicted from their apartment in Das and they moved to the DC General Homeless Shelter and Relicia was one of six hundred children living at the shelter. And we became involved with relicious case as one of our then board members and she was Assistant Chief of Police. Diane Grooms shared the news release issued by MPD on March to twentieth about relicious disappearance.
Speaker 6: Flicia was last spotted on a hotel security camera, accompanied by a man named Khalil Tatum, a friend of Relicia's mother. A few weeks later, Tatum's wife was found shot dead in a hotel, and after that, Tatum's body was found in a shed, dead from an apparent suicide. Relicia was never found.
Speaker 5: We were very alarmed, but we were very determined to find Relicia. And there are so many unanswered questions about this case, and the most disheartening is that no one was really keeping up with Relicious whereabouts, you know, not her family, not the shelter, not the school. So there is enough blame to go around for everyone. And we believe that, you know, African American and Hispanic children, they deserve the same innocence as other children. So it's definitely a case that weighs heavy on our hearts. And when someone finds out that I'm, you know, one of the co founders of the Black Missing Foundation in the DC area, the first case they always ask us about is Relicious. What happened to her? We believe that she was a victim of sex trafficking and the janitor whom her mother gave supervision over her was grooming her for sex trafficking. It's just so heartbreaking, but we will never stop searching for Militia. Behold on to hope that she's alive and that she can be reunited. So much love in the DC area for her.
Speaker 6: One of the people working in the Relasia Rudd case all these years is Henderson Long, who he met last episode. Henderson is the CEO of DC's Missing Voice. He essentially acts as a go between for d c's Metropolitan Police and the black community. Henderson says that in many cases of missing and murdered children, someone in the community knows something, So you have to get out there and talk to folks.
Speaker 7: Tian Jones, you know, and I know y'all know about that homicide.
Speaker 6: And from Saturday, Henderson invited us to one outreach event at a seven to eleven in southeast d C. He was there handing out flyers with missing persons information about Relasia Rudd.
Speaker 7: The goal of to day is to create greater awareness about, you know, the tragic circumstances of all our children in the District of Columbia.
Speaker 8: Militia Rudd.
Speaker 7: Her day being a platform, I was going to read the proclamation and show you the proclamations, the Mayas sign regarding Militia Rudd Day.
Speaker 6: Like the Freeway Phantom Victims Relicious case, did not receive sufficient media coverage. For the first three weeks that she was missing, there was no mainstream media outlet covering the story at all. This was also due to the fact that no one, including police, considered her a missing person. But after she was officially reported missing, people like Henderson Long were able to get the media involved.
Speaker 8: Well, y'all on July eleven. That was the big media pushing. You know, everybody's not on social media.
Speaker 7: So my goal was to take Milicia Rudd's plight and all the plight of all our children and missing persons to the street because you never know what you're gonna run into. We may run into some information that's usual to help us close the case and bring some closures to some families and make the district a little safer, you know, it's our cart.
Speaker 8: I approach this work with the.
Speaker 7: Understanding that the police can't do it alone, that we both need each other and in the community is a tremendous asset to the police department when they can get these tips in. I heard Chief Conti yesterday begging people to call me. I'm send the rest in pieces up, but I need phone calls.
Speaker 8: I need people to call in and give me some tips.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: I appreciate the flowers, the cars, this that and the other, but we need calls. We need people to call in. We need information in the community. They know who's committing these crimes. These crimes, anything that involve criminal malice, they know who's doing and we need the police to handle that type of stuff. When it's not anything a criminal nature, you need them.
Speaker 8: To be involved.
Speaker 6: Henderson says, there are certain valuable pieces of info you need when investigating one of these cases. You need an up to date photo, a complete physical description, and if possible, fingerprints.
Speaker 7: Fingerprints is heavy in terms of identification union positivity. I d somebody who it is, because sometimes you'll find someone, you'll locate someone, somebody will come upon them. They may be incapacitated, they may even be deceased. We can roll those fingerprints and if they had any pride, run INDs. You know, y'all know the deal, You pull them right up. So fingerprints are invaluable.
Speaker 6: Henderson says the biggest goal of these outreach events is to build relationships between the community and the police. That's why there were a handful of officers there unarmed, handing out flyers.
Speaker 7: We try to educate people on what MPD within their general orders, what kind of what they expect, because some people come to the thing with the wrong expectation. So we get out into the elementary schools, we get out into the daycare centers, we fingerprint children, We educate the parents on what to do.
Speaker 8: A lot of parents don't know to.
Speaker 7: Call the police, and then you know, you got the street code out there too, don't deal with the police. So we try to deal with some of that by fostering relationship with the police, showing people that hey, look the police are not all what you think it is.
Speaker 8: Ninety eight percent of them are good people do down here. They trying to do their job.
Speaker 6: So Henderson says, the case of Relasia Rudd is a prime example of what can happen when communities like this remain relatively closed off. Over the last nine years, there's been a little movement on the case, but Henderson is convinced someone knows something. By reminding people about Relitia, he says he's hoping to prevent cases like hers in the future.
Speaker 7: This is an age regression photo of what Relitia Rudd would look like today.
Speaker 8: That's her age regression photo is what they think she would look like. I think at age fifteen.
Speaker 7: And as I said when I talked to the media, a murder, suicide, and deception attached to a child, eight year old child name, that's totally unacceptable. Murder, lies, and suicide. That's the worst you can get for child seven. Relasia Rudd that totally dependent on us, to totally dependent on people around her.
Speaker 8: You know, kids are totally dependent on us. They have no other choice but to trust the people that they're under their care.
Speaker 6: One of the people we met at the outreach event for Relasia Rudd was MPD Commander Pamela Wheeler Taylor. She was there helping Handerson handout flyers and after the event we had a number of questions about how her unit investigates these types of cases. Commander Wheeler Taylor agreed to sit down with us. Hello everyone, I am Commander Pamela Wheeler Taylor of the DC Metropolitan Police Department. I'm the commander of the Youth and Family Services Division. I've been a member of the Metropolitan Police Department for approximately thirty one years, and my experience runs the gamut from patrol to internal affairs to human resources, and now, like I said, I actually happened to have been appointed to the rank of commander in January of twenty twenty one. So obviously the case that we're focusing on was fifty years ago, and we were surprised at how sort of blase law enforcement was when these children went missing. So I wondered, if you would first walk us through today what happens if I call you and say my child was supposed to be home at three, she's not home.
Speaker 9: What happens?
Speaker 8: Typically?
Speaker 9: What happens, and in cases such as that, the response of the very first responding officers of utmost importance. That's where you gather the most critical information. Things that are set and the heat of the moment are things that have to be memorialized because they could actually, you know, bring about successful closure at the end. Little things that you feel might not be important. Something as simple as my kids said they were going to visit their friend and I told them that they couldn't go, Or something as simple as maybe you've taken the kid to a location the kid may say, you know, you know, i'd awfully I want to visit that again. You may not think because it's in the back of your mind that you've never taken the kid to that place, or you're not going to take the kid again. But it's something you have to listen to. Things that are spontaneously uttered. You know they have a valuable evidence. At what point, then, do you know, does the case become more serious? At what point does does an.
Speaker 6: Officer feel that there is a need to that it's no longer to become aware. Could this kid have gone as opposed to maybe something untoward happened to this kid.
Speaker 9: Okay, so generally what happens And let me back up a bit and maybe just explain to you what a missing person definition is in the District of Columbia. Missing person is anyone adult or child that is missing from their lawful place of abode within the District of Columbia, and they they're missing as unusual, highly unusual, or for their patterns or things that they normally their routine, things of that nature. Or the missing person could be missing from another jurisdiction close to the district, but there's reasonably there's incredible knowledge that the individual was lasting in the District of Columbia. So again, the reporting person initial responder are critical and determining the soircumstances surrounding the missing person's disappearance. The first step again is to interview the reporting person. Try to gather as much information as you possibly can, as far as demographics available, friends, a clothing description. What is definitely invaluable to us is a recent photo. If you have a recent photo of the individual, it's very valuable in the issues of a missing person's flyer, which we distribute in every case. So, I mean, obviously you were not around in the nineteen sevent well, you were in a police officer and not a police officer, but your career spans three decades, yes it does. So this is another thing that keeps coming up to us is how differently, even based on our very small knowledge of police procedure, how differently cases were handled back then as to now. And I'm wondering if you could give us a kind of a concept of how not just technology but resources have changed even since when you first started, mean, how much better equipped our office to do this kind of work. Absolutely, absolutely, And just like in anything in life, of course, technology brings about improvements and things we have the ability to be able to now actually track cell phones. These cell phones are invaluable and you'll see that every juvenile has a cell phone in his or her hand. Once the missing person's detectives get on the scene, the first thing we are able to do is be able to track that cell phone. And like I said, how quickly can that very quickly? Very quickly. It's a matter of us forwarding an emergency disclosure request social media. Also, we can develop an IP address for where that phone is actually pinging that has proven invaluable or not. That's something that we definitely did not have. It gives us a leg up on a possible location of the individual if we're lucky enough to have a case where a cell phone is involved. So definitely technology, even with fingerprinting, even with you know, like I said, just being able to transmit a photo, transmit a photo through a cell phone. The expediency of the inform that we receive gives us a leg up on our search for the individual. And there's more cameras around, definitely CCTV cameras. Again, like I said, just social media in and of itself just invaluable. What about the importance of just community members who live in that neighborhood, who see these kids perhaps every day. How important are they in the whole investigation of a child's disappearance. Very valuable, And that's one of the first things. As the first responding unit, we go around and we call it door knocks, good old fashioned boots on the ground door knocks. You're knocking on neighbors doors, and a lot of times the neighbors have information, well, yes, I saw a little Johnny head that way, or yes, little Johnny hangs with my friend, you know, and they hang at the park up the street. The community is at the root of the missing person's investigations. Getting their collaboration and cooperation with us is invaluable. They are actually paramount insolving the cases, which requires that they trust the police. Trust is it absolutely is something that we cannot do our job without. You have to have to trust to the community. I mean, I think people maybe underestimate this particular piece because we were out getting gathering tape in a couple of neighborhoods yesterday and people had their eyes on us, like they were over a dozen people watching us. Especially Yeah, because people know what's specific to their area, to their neighborhood. And people are cultish of their neighborhood I know. So don't believe just because things are not said, don't believe that you're not viewed it. Like you said, a prime example is of them being aware of their surroundings in their neighborhoods.
Speaker 6: So when we're talking about the requiring the trust of communities and how important that can be in locating, especially a missing child, does that mean it's maybe harder right now when trust of the police is in many areas as at a low.
Speaker 9: You know, I have not found that to be a deterrent when you're talking about a missing kid. Folks have a tendency to be able to look on the other side of things. They'll see that we're there for the good. So I have not in my personal experience, have not and I've never heard of any of my officers complain about the neighborhood not talking to have a tendency. Again, I don't know whether it's part of the code, you know, but anytime a senior or a juvenile is involved, I have not experienced any type of not wanting to get involved in the process. And I'm sure you're aware, and we keep hearing it over and over this impression that black communities are a lower priority for law enforcement than white communities are. And so what is your response to, say, black residents who believe that their crises their children are of lower priority. I'd have to stand on the laurels of police Chief Robert J. Cont In that we investigate all of our cases the same. We have a standardized procedure. There's no one case that is given a higher priority than another case. Now in the media you may see that which we don't have control over, but we investigate every last one of our cases the same. No one case has any priority over the other. So I would consistently tell the residents. I would explain to them, being transparent, this is what we do in every case, and I would give him a highlight of each investigative step that we've taken. So what advice do you give to somebody. Let's say that my son is expected home at four pm and it's five point thirty and I'm worried, Yes, what recommendation do you have for me short of that given in the district of Columbia. And that's a common misperception as well, that you'll hear folks say, well, he has to be missing for twenty four hours or there's a certain time period. There is no time period for you to be able to report your loved one missing. It's based more on what is unusual for that person's situation. If your kid is missing fifteen minutes and you know that that's unusual for your kid, you immediately pick up the phone and call the police. What we're seeing now is that that gap in time from disappearance to reporting actually puts us behind, especially in cases of elderly folks and with juveniles maybe under the age of twelve, actually puts us behind. So there's no time limit. As soon as you feel that something is unusual about your kid's disappearance, call the police. Back at the outreach event for a relationsiou Rudd a prayer was delivered by Shantis Cotton.
Speaker 10: We all have a destiny, we all have a purpose, and you just have to let the Lord continue to work in you all of the gifts and talents that He's placed on the inside of you for his glory. That you can get anywhere, you can be anywhere, You can do anything that you have been allowed to do, because God has purpose and a reason for you to be on this earth, and so I just encourage people just to know that God has a reason for them, and that He has allowed the account talents that He's placed on the inside of them to come into fruition and to manifestation, to use them wherever they are and to give them wherever they need to be in life, so they can make it. Yes, they can make it. Yes they can. Thank you, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: In learning about the cases that Henderson Long works on today, it was striking to me how many of the same barriers exist now that existed fifty years ago. Young Black girls are still at a higher risk of victimization, and their disappearances get little or no attention. Commander Wheeler Taylor says all cases are investigated the same, and she doesn't find a lack of trust in law enforcement to impact cases of missing youth, But she says Henderson helps break down the barrier between law enforcement and the black community. Today, we have so many resources for solving these kinds of cases, better technologies, social media, a much better understanding of DNA and forensic evidence. We've also got people like Henderson Long working in the community to try and make a difference. But the fact that Henderson's work is still so needed in twenty twenty three is a sign of failure on one level at least. There's a problem that has been with us since the nineteen seventies, and it's that police have still not earned the trust of black communities in many of these neighborhoods. And as we've learned painfully that piece, it's just crucial when you want to solve these cases. It's very likely that somebody in the community knows what happened or knows something significant, and for the Freeway phantom cases, their testimony may be all that we have left.
Speaker 2: I think when it comes to the physical evidence, what was left has been exhausted, so we probably will not be able to do anything with DNA not for the physical evidence.
Speaker 6: This is retired MPD Detective Romaine Jenkins.
Speaker 2: What I'm hoping is that by keeping the cases in the public's views that.
Speaker 3: Maybe somebody, you don't job somebody's.
Speaker 2: Memory that you know something that they never told anybody. They came across some hyping books, you know, that they found when it cleaned out an apartment, or one of their younger cousins brought some hyping books home, or some property that didn't belong to them, some properties that had the name Brenda Woodard on it. And this is what I'm hoping that somebody's memory will be jobs.
Speaker 6: Romaine says, that's why the work of Henderson Long is so important.
Speaker 2: Well, you always need someone who trusts the police. If you're going to be an investigator and you don't have someone who's going to give you information or what's going on in the community, then you're wasting your time. If you always have to pay for information. I think one time in my whole career did I ever pay for any You give me the information because you want to be a good citizen.
Speaker 3: You've given me the information because you know I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to divulge your name to anybody, and I don't, and so you have got to have that trust.
Speaker 6: I asked Romaine how we can get people to come forward with information about the freeway phantom.
Speaker 2: What you have to do is keep these cases in front of the public. A lot of people don't know about these cases, and a lot of people who who lived here years ago when these cases happen, they are aware of them, but they thought they were closed. So you have to constantly remind the public that these cases are open.
Speaker 3: The person who did it was.
Speaker 2: Never apprehended, so we don't know what else that person could have done.
Speaker 6: Romaine says that with the emergence of the Internet and social media, there just might be new avenues for people to investigate the Freeway Phantom case further.
Speaker 2: You know, now that everything is computerized, I think if somebody does have some information, they could really put it on their.
Speaker 3: Internet if they don't want to be involved in it per se.
Speaker 2: Back then, we just didn't have The only thing we had was the newspaper and the TV and the newspaper, which was at the time the biggest circulating one I think was the Washington Post. You know, now we have more and there's so many different sites, and it takes longer to investigate things now because I think back then they had over a thousand people who were suspects in the case. They investigated every last one of them, but they could not come to a favorable conclusion.
Speaker 6: Romaine also says law enforcement is much more capable in today's world than they might have been fifty years ago.
Speaker 2: If you talk to THATBI they said at one time they thought there was more than one hundred serial killings operating within the United States. I think what's happening today, it's being highlighted more. These cases were happening back in the early seventies, but there was so much else going on and they were not equipped. They didn't even use the term serial murder cases back in the early seventies.
Speaker 3: You know, we call them pattern cases.
Speaker 2: Well, we gave them a name by what was the outstanding thing that the suspect did. Because of the fact that nowadays you can put a it's name in a computer and god knows, you can find out everything, all about his family tree and everything.
Speaker 3: So everything is it's there.
Speaker 2: But it's important that the police recognized that whoever did a particular case is going to do it again.
Speaker 3: It's not a one time thing.
Speaker 2: That's why the name Freeway Phantom came in because somebody asked in a press conference, somebody on the Metropolitan Police Department, do you think it's more than one person involved in and the person said, well, we think it's probably more.
Speaker 3: Than one person.
Speaker 2: When the water case happened, that's when the note is sound, and the note lets you know it was just one purpose.
Speaker 6: It was clear to us during our investigation of the Freeway phantom. The police response at the time was impacted to at least some degree by racial bias. I asked Ramaine how much she worries about that when it comes to similar cases today, it.
Speaker 2: Might still be a problem somewhat, but it can be hidden nowadays because everybody is looking at the police. Everybody has a camera, they have a microphone, They're paying attention to what is going on, and so you really don't have not that all the prejudice and racism has dissipated.
Speaker 3: It's still there, but it's not highlighted.
Speaker 2: And back then what you saw a lot of the times officers brought their personal grievances and opinions to the office when they investigated the case. I mean, you know, I read reports in these cases where some officers wrote up that these young girls who were tight shorts. Not one of these girls had on a pair of tight shorts, and if she did, what does that have to do with anything?
Speaker 3: And that really upset me.
Speaker 2: Because they're blaming these girls for their own abductions.
Speaker 3: And rates strangulations.
Speaker 2: You know, but this is how they felt. This is a memo that they put out there. You know that they wore type.
Speaker 6: Jeans Romayne still hopes that the Freeway Phantom cases can be solved, but she says more people need to know about these cases and somebody needs to step up.
Speaker 2: If I had the power, I would love to see that these cases were resolved, either by someone telling the police or calling the police, calling the newspapers. In fact, get on the internet and say it. Everybody hides information on the internet. But you know, at least in part the information that you have that might be crucial. And maybe you might think it didn't mean anything, but you know, if you keep it to yourself, we'll never know. Also that these cases are always kept alive in some manner with PG County Police and with the Metropolitan Police Department, and with thatbi that the files and the evidence to not be destroyed, that it be kept forever and ever. And maybe you can't do anything with the evidence. But you know, maybe somebody who's in their seventies. I figured, if the Phantom were alive today, he probably did his late sixties or early seventies. Maybe he wants to relieve his conscients of what he had done. You don't know, you know, And also always keep in touch with the families because a lot of times people in part inflammation in them and they said, when the police don't really care, so I'm not going to go. You know, even in the Fantom cases, we had people who were interviewed the knight the cases happened, and two years later they gave up information that they didn't inationially give which was good inflammation. It's a matter of always communicating with people.
Speaker 6: We're also doing our part in this fight. As a reminder, Tenderfoot TV and iHeartMedia are matching the one hundred and fifty thousand dollars reward offered by the Metropolitan Police Department. This brings the total reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for these murders to three hundred thousand dollars. If you have information that may lead to the identification of the Freeway Phantom, it's time to speak up. Tips can be provided to MPD or Tenderfoot TV at tips at tenderfoot dot tv. For the family members of these victims, any hope of discovering the truth is complicated because it's hard to say how they might feel about new details that could emerge. Closure doesn't come easily when you've had a loved one taken away by violence. Here again is Evander Spink's older sister of Carol Spinx.
Speaker 4: I mean, for the most part, my family is still together, but it's still put a wedge in our family amongst us Like me, I hold guilt because I felt like I didn't do what I was supposed to do, and I'm sure my older sister does even to this day, I know I'm a lot more stronger than they are, my younger siblings. I knew more and I learned more because I wanted to know more and i wanted to understand it. And I've always been trying to figure out a way to get the hurt off of me. So it made me stronger and more tougher and a harder person because I wanted to know. And you can't be a chicken and you can't be timid if you want to know something, because you're going to have to take some hard knocks to get that information. And that's what this is. He's a hard knox. I told Yeah Yea today that she came to me other night, two nights ago, and it wasn't in spirit, it wasn't in body form, and it's like out the peripheral view, I could see her in her coffin, but not in her coughing dead, but maybe just laying there. And people were talking about her and as if she wasn't in the room.
Speaker 2: Or.
Speaker 5: I can I explain this.
Speaker 4: They were talking about her as if she wasn't in a room, but talking to her. And I was responding because I remember saying this one thing. Wait a minute, I want to interject on that right there. I said, No, she wasn't like that at all. She was quiet, and I kind of was looking at her out my side eye and she was bybye, Carol.
Speaker 9: She was just there.
Speaker 4: And this just happened a couple days ago, and I was saying, I was telling, yayyay, how good I felt that I could. I always called her a visit. When my family visited me, I always say.
Speaker 8: I had a visit.
Speaker 6: Here's what Bertha Crockett, the sister of Brenda Crockett, told us about how she thinks about herself.
Speaker 11: There are other family members that lost their sisters and they became officers and detectives because they wanted to put the cuffs on the man that killed their family member. But we've had no closure, no resolution, so I mean, I've done so many podcasts and live TV and so it's just I don't know. The gentleman that could have done this has to be old, old now or even deceased. And that's said, but I don't know, you know, vengeance's minds, I would repay, said the Lord. So that's all you have to live by when you really can't see judgment after all these years, I don't know if it's important anymore. I just know that if you do wrong, wrong would come back on you. It's God's choice and chance in time. So you know, if you think you're doing something and getting away with it, you're not. It's not if I don't ever see what occurred as a resolution or you know, as closure. I know that God has me and anything around me, So when people do stuff, they have to recognize that you're not going to get away with it. So if you think you have, I think God has had something in store for them or whatever the case may be, in their future, their present, their past. So if I don't see I've never I haven't seen closure in fifty years, so I can't say, you know, I have to worry about it. And now I just hope that that what's deserved is deserved, because I don't want to sound bad, but I feel like if you take a life, you shouldn't have a life. If you do wrong, wrong should not be granted for you to be out here doing wrong forever. And it's not that you know somebody had to come back and take it out on your Purposely. Stuff just happens by circumstance, So you just have to be good in everything you do. So no, I'm not sitting here worrying about whether that person is still around or whatever. I just know that God has had me and I'm just grateful that I'm still here.
Speaker 6: After Diane Williams was killed, her sister, Patricia Williams, went on to become a police officer.
Speaker 12: I did not become a police officer because my sister's death. I became a police officer because I was taking a class in investigations and it was during one of those classes that the professor put up at the Metrono Police Department would be having a test at Beloosunior High School. That's the high school that I went to. I decided to go and take the test, and almost arrest is history. I wounded up joining the police department. After Romayne Jenkins retired, there was another detective, Jim Trainer, that I was in a training academy with, and he had gotten or was starting to pick up with the Freeway Phantom investigations from where Romaine Jenkins had left off. One day, we just so happened to see each other, you know, years after we had gotten up their training academy, and he mentioned that to me, and so we started talking about the free Fist and he was telling me what he's going to do, and they had gotten a grant. He was able to get someone to assist him with reenacting every single case, and I was fortunate enough to write with them on one of the reenactments that they were doing. It felt like I was back, like in nineteen seventy one. I felt like I was there at the time that it happened, and it really touched me just to be a part of that and to kind of like see what happened and what these girls may have felt like or felt when this was going on. It put me in a whole new different light as to this whole investigation because I was sort of like a part of it all the other times I was not a part of the investigation. I remember Romayne Jenkins telling me Pat, I don't want to show you anything involving your sister. It's too hard to look at. You can't unsee this, and I respected that. So even though we would talk about it, I never saw any reports on investigations, any photographs involving the investigations, any of that. It was always just dialogue, talking back and forth about this, and then they would always guard me against telling me or let me see anything that would upset me. There is no closure I have. Of course, I'm a lot older. There's some things that I don't even remember. I don't know if that's selective amnesia or what. But they'll never be any closure. But I have also accepted that Diane's and the other Preway Phantom victims murder will never be found. I've already accepted it, and I believe in God, and I believe that this individual has to or individuals have an accounting, and maybe not in this life, but they will. And I've pretty much left that now in their hands God's hands. Excuse me to deal with them, because I don't believe we will ever know.
Speaker 3: And I can't.
Speaker 12: I can't live a life of you know, hating somebody or spending all all my time worrying about when are they going to catch somebody? What are they doing? You know, because in Diane's case, I honestly believe that everything has been done. They can be done with the exception of our confession. And even if somebody confessed to do it, they'd have to prove it, because it's been so long, you'd have to they would have to have some kind of evidence to.
Speaker 3: Prove that they did it.
Speaker 12: After fifty years, I'm believe that that individual is no longer with us either.
Speaker 6: Throughout this podcast, there were a number of goals we were trying to accomplish. First and foremost, we just wanted to tell the stories of these young girls and make their names heard and again. The six confirmed victims are Carol Spinks, Darlinia Johnson, Brenda Crockett, Ninamosha Yates, Brenda Woodard, and Diane Williams. There was also Tara Bryant, a seven unconfirmed victim, and Angela Barnes, who was briefly on the official list of victims. What cannot get lost here is that these young girls were innocent, beloved members of their families, and their community, and the impact their murders had on their loved ones was severe. It was tragic and in some cases insurmountable. It is our hope that they do find some manner of peace. It's also our mission that they someday received the justice they deserve, and that brings us to the next goal of this podcast. We hope to discover the identity of the Freeway phantom, and we truly believe it's possible, but we cannot do that alone. What we've done here is lay out the facts, give you as much information as we could find, and now we need the community to step up and share whatever tips they might have. That may be the only way that this fifty year old case gets resolved, and it just might be the own only way that these young girls finally receive justice. Our last goal with this podcast has been to raise awareness of an even bigger, more persistent issue, not just in Washington, d C. But all throughout this country. Missing children from black and marginalized communities rarely get the attention they need. It's past time that we prioritize cases like Militia Rudd, both in terms of media attention and police resources. Only then can we start to save these lives and ensure that what happened to Carol, Darlinia, Brenda Ninamosha, Brenda Woodard, Diane and Tara never happens again. I'm Celeste Hedley. This has been Freeway Phantom.
Speaker 1: Freeway Fantom is a production of iHeart Radio, Tenderfoot TV and Black bar Mitzvah. Our host is Selese Hilly. The show is written by Trevor Young, Jamie Albright and Celes Hiley. Executive producers on behalf of iHeart Radio include Matt Frederick and Alex Williams, with supervising producer Trevor Young. Executive producers on behalf of Tenderfoot TV include Donald Albright and Payne Lindsay, with producers Jamie Albright and Tracy Kaplan. Executive producers on behalf of Black bar Mitzvah include myself, Jay Ellis and Aaron Bergman, with producer Sidney Foods. Lead researcher is Jamie Albright. Artwork by Mister Soul two one six, original music by Makeup and Vanity Set special thanks to a teammate, Uta Beck Media and Marketing and the Nord Group. Tenderfoot TV and iHeartMedia as well as Black Bar Mitzvah, have increased the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for their freeway phantom. The previous reward of up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars offered by the Metropolitan Police Department has been matched. A new total reward of up to three hundred thousand dollars is now being offered. If you have any information relating to these unsolved crimes, contact the Metropolitan Police Department at area code two zero two seven two seven nine zero ninety nine. For more information, please visit freeway dashfanom dot com. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio and Tenderfoot TV, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks for listening.