Speaker 1: I think it's important to have both virtues advices.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh, elaborate, Kevin, what are your favorite advice?
Speaker 3: He's a huge candler. Of course, we contain Volta Zudes. Hello Snaffoo fans, and welcome back to snaff Who, the podcast about history's greatest screw ups. I am your host ed helms, and today we are diving into part two of our Cambridge Analytica story, because this one was just too insane to try to squeeze into one episode. It is just absolutely bonkers. And of course I am still joined for part two by my incredible guests, the brilliant Kevin Russe and Casey Newton of the New York Times tech podcast hard Fork. They are two of the most delightful, hilarious, brilliant and insightful people you could ever hope to have on a podecas. And they're also incredibly well informed on this particular story.
Speaker 2: Because they both covered it as reporters when it happened back in the mid twenty tens. All right, so I highly suggest if you haven't already go back and listened to the previous episode just so you're fully up to speed. But you know what, you don't have to. I'm going to give you a quick little recap here, so we're all in this together, all right. Previously on Snafu, a seemingly harmless Facebook quiz turned into a full blown data exploitation scheme, as millions of users had their information quietly scraped from Facebook and handed over to a nefarious political strategy operation called Cambridge Analytica, which then used said data to build psychological profiles of nearly eighty million users and then target them with manipulative political messaging. This very sketchy firm was employed by both the Ted Cruz and Donald Trump campaigns during the twenty sixteen presidential election. Kevin Ruce actually landed an inn with zuck in the immediate aftermath of this giant scandal, and it's a wild story. Kevin was given like in his colleague. They were given like twenty minutes to prepare for this epic interview, which was probably something of a psycho power play on Zuckerberg's part anyway. Cambridge Analytical whistleblower Christopher Wiley also had some very choice words when he described the operation as targeting people's quote inner demons, and he described the entire endeavor as quote Steve Bannon's psychological warfare mind fuck Tool. Yeah, Yeah, that's that's some good quote. I mean, that's what it is, all right. So whether you're just joining us or you're back for more, you are now fully caught up. So let's dive right back into it. We've just heard about Wiley's quotes the psychological warfare mind fucked Tool. Very soon after this, Channel four in the UK aired under cover footage of Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix, who had recently told Parliament that the company hadn't used Facebook data, which is a statement that did not age well. In the recordings. Captured over a series of meetings with a reporter posing as a wealthy prospective client, Nix laid out a menu of tactics that sounded less like campaign strategy and more like a rejected Bond villain, pitch honey traps with sex workers, bribery, blackmail, the works, and just around things out. He also casually discussed using data to influence elections across the globe. It went further than that. Wiley's documents revealed that Cambridge Analytica had even pitched its services to Russia in twenty fourteen, they met with representatives from Luke Oil, a Russian oil company that often acted as a surrogate for Putin. The topic on the table was unsurprisingly psychographic messaging to help Russia interfere in foreign elections. Now, it needs to be noted they didn't end up doing any official work for Luke Oil or the Russian government, But the fact that this meeting was taken is dark. We're used to operating through different vehicles in the shadows, and I look forward to building a very long term and secretive relationship with you. Now, I believe that was the perspective, wealthy perspective client meeting, not the Luke Oil meeting. But you just get a sense of this guy.
Speaker 1: Opening line on Tinder.
Speaker 4: I think, yes, yes, I would love to have that very long term and secret of relationship. I as have a long term and secretive relationship with Ed. But he said, no, you have to come on the podcast. So we're going to release.
Speaker 2: It publicly, but it can be long term. Okay, good. So by March. By March and April of twenty eighteen, this story was everywhere. You couldn't open news apps without bumping into cambrage. Analytica the idea that your memes and likes and casual quiz results might have been repurposed in political targeting. It just hit people hard. I think it hit all of us in this like visceral way. It just felt like suddenly what we thought harmless internet background noise was not It was more insidious. Perhaps outrage followed hashbag Delete Facebook started trending. Tens of millions of accounts were implicated in the data exposure or included in the data exposure, and users were not happy to discover that they had been participating in a system they didn't realize existed. Did that backlash affect Facebook?
Speaker 4: I think it was a devastating blow to the trust that Americans had in Facebook that the company has truly never recovered from. When you look at polls of trust in American companies, Facebook typically ranks around the bottom of that And while it hadn't been a particularly popular company before then, it still had a much better reputation than it did before that. So yeah, I think Cambridge Analytica was the beginning of the moment that Americans said, this company seems kind of shady and it's sucks now. Interestingly, that did not stop Americans from continuing to use all of its products for many hours a day. But it is also true that reputationally camera j analytica was just huge for this company well.
Speaker 1: And I think it also brought Facebook more into the political sphere because people, I think in politics have kind of a varying level of sophistication and familiarity with technology, but like political campaigns and political influence is something they do understand, and so I think, you know, Zuckerberg spent most of the next couple of years like testifying before various legislative bodies and answering angry questions from lawmakers, and this became like a huge headache for them politically, and so I think that was maybe the biggest sort of long term consequence of this for Facebook was that it just it made them into a political actor in a new way, and I think that ended up being very hard for them.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense. Now, the million dollar question did anyone in power actually face any real repercussions? And the answer is kind of but also not really. So let's dig into that. First off, Facebook executives apparently knew all this was happening on their platform. They found out in twenty fifteen that cogan'sapp had been mining data, but when they looked into it, Cambridge Analytica claimed that all the data had been deleted. You guys have been mentioning this so far, and so Facebook just kind of let it go. Now did they tell any of their users that their data had been taken? Of course not. There was no need to do this, I guess. I feel like the scale and complexity of these platforms just makes it really easy to sweep things under the rug. Like you just you don't have to you don't have to own up to things so much like to what is the percentage of healthy activity versus unhealthy activity in a Facebook office?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that the way that the company thinks about its core business would really shock people. They sort of dress it up in a lot of like metaphors and they don't always say out loud exactly what they're doing. But like, make no mistake, like the longer that you stare at the app, the more money that company makes, and so like that is what that company is built to do, is to like get you to stare at it. And yeah, that's had maybe a lot of negative downstream consequences over the years.
Speaker 2: When the Cambridge Analytical data leak was revealed, of course, Facebook CEO Zuckerberg went silent for five whole days. Kevin. On March twenty first of twenty eighteen, you wrote a New York Times article called missing from Facebook's crisis colon Mark Zuckerberg, where you said that since the scandal broke, neither mister Zuckerberg nor Cheryl sam Berg, Facebook chief operating officer has made any public appearances. I'm now quoting you to you, but I love it. Mister Zuckerberg's last public post on Facebook was a March second photo of himself and his wife, Priscilla Chan baking ham and tash and cookies to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Porum. Miss Sandberg's most recent post was a four day old photo from her child's debate competition. It feels like they're terrified, like this, this is four days of what Like what's in that moment for them?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think they were trying to figure out what had happened. They were clearly surprised by this. They were looking into the various actions they had taken against Cogan and Cambridge Analytica. They're trying to figure out how this had sort of slipped through their systems. But they were also just on their back feet and they were you have to remember this was coming just shortly after all of the Russia stuff which sort of swirled around them in the aftermath of the twenty sixteen election, and there were you know, investigations and congressional hearings and the Mulla Report. Like all this was happening, you know, roughly in the same period of a couple of years, and I think for them, they were just trying to figure out, okay, well, like, is this sort of an all hands on deck code read incident or is this going to blow over soon?
Speaker 2: I'm going to jump now into Zuck's testifying in front of Congress. This is this was a wild media circus. He gets obviously pulled in to answer a lot of questions and there's some kind of interesting moments. We've got one here to take a listen to. Thank you very much, mis chairman.
Speaker 1: Mister Zuckerberg, would you be comfortable sharing with us the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just loving Congress's approach here. They're making Zuckerberg feel like his privacy is maybe that he holds it at a different level than those of his customers, and that that's not real. Chill chill.
Speaker 1: Maybe he was just embarrassed because it was like a best Western. Yeah, the Four Seasons was all full.
Speaker 2: So yeah, somehow I doubt that, but I do. Yeah, I just think that there were some ways in which this hearing was was pretty effective and just sort of channeling the bad will of what's afoot here. In later testimony, Zuckerberg acknowledged that Facebook probably should have banned Cambridge Analytica back in twenty fifteen. Instead of accepting their assurances that they had deleted the harvested data. Zuckerberg took responsibility, saying it was my mistake and I'm sorry. I started Facebook. I run it, and I'm responsible for what happens here. And just reading that, I also I realized that in my cadence it sounded like I said and I'm sorry I started Facebook, which is not what he said. He said, I'm sorry period I started Facebook. But I kind of like the other interpretation. Well, Zuckerberg, this is all well and good, but sometimes a simple apology doesn't cut it when the personal information of eighty seven million people is stolen on your Watch, Casey. On June seventh, twenty eighteen, you wrote a column in The Verge called Congress roasted Facebook on TV, but won't hear any bills to regulate it. So did Zuckerberg testifying accomplish anything? Was it all just kind of a dog and pony show.
Speaker 4: My view is that the congressional hearings really did not accomplish very much. I got frustrated because he wound up doing a bunch of these hearings over the next few years. Typically somebody would ask him a question, he would get five words, undo the answer, are they interrupt him and move on to their next question. So it all just sort of felt useless. And you know, one of the really sort of funny things that emerge was that the main product of these hearings was that the congress members would ask him their gotcha question. They would you know, interrupt him and try to look tough and sort of push back on him, and then they would clip that and then put that on Instagram, you know. So it was like they were sort of using his platforms to like burnish their own reputations but not actually address any of the underlying issues that they were allegedly mad about well and.
Speaker 1: Critically like Congress didn't do anything. You know, they didn't pass a federal privacy law. There was no lasting change that came out of this that made anyone's data any safer that originated in Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what that's that's unusual for Congress. That feels weird that they didn't do anything. Let's get back to your interview in those days right after Kevin, where you did have you and your colleague did have that chance to talk directly to Mark Zuckerberg. There's a pretty poignant moment in that interview where you asked Mark if he felt guilty about the role Facebook is playing in the world. He said, I don't know that it's possible to know every issue that you're going to face down the road, but we have a real responsibility to take all these issues seriously as they come up and work with experts in people around the world to make sure we solve them and do a good job for our community. At another point in the interview, he reiterates that the primary mission of Facebook is to connect people. Now, I think at this point we all feel that that's a pretty tired canard, but I'm curious at that time and being on the phone and hearing the tenor of his voice, like, did you believe that he was being sincere year in that moment about Facebook's larger mission, about their sort of sense of integrity and this quote real responsibility to take these things seriously.
Speaker 1: I don't know what response I had at the time, but looking back on it now, I see that this is just what he does or what he did. You know, for many years since the start of Facebook, basically there was a pattern where Facebook would do something, whether it was changing the news feed or taking away some feature that people liked or implementing some new feature that people didn't like, and he would say, sorry, I'm sorry, I feel a real responsibility to get this right or something like that, and then nothing would change, or they would walk back part of the change but keep the rest of it. He did this a lot, and this was a particularly high stakes example of this, but I think it fit with the pattern.
Speaker 2: Do we need to go to couple's therapy with Mark Zuckerberg as a population?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we know who Mark Zuckerberg is at this point. He is a man who wants to win and will do almost anything to do that. But like that is the thing that is important to him. It is growing a big thing. His legacy is very important. He wants to be remembered as like a sort of you know, very important inventor. All the other details are you know, negotiable. And I think that's actually quite scary. And as the years have gone on, we've sort of seen that, Like the explanation that he gave Kevin, he gave it because that was what the world wanted to hear at the time. But then as long as but then when the sort of world moved on, his explanations could move on to.
Speaker 2: Well, despite everything, Zuckerberg got away basically scott free. But what about Cambridge Analytica? So the fallout for them was more straightforward. The FTC sued the company in by May eighteen, it had filed for bankruptcy. Alexander Nicks, the CEO, didn't exactly walk away clean either. In twenty twenty, the FDC barred him from holding directorships or working in similar data driven political operations. The list of conduct attached to that ban included bribery, honeytrap schemes, voter disengagement tactics, and covert information operations aimed at discrediting political opponents. The fine print, of course, is that the ban is time limited, which means, doing the math, he is set to be eligible to return to this field in September of twenty twenty seven, and.
Speaker 4: We're all rooting for him to get back in the game.
Speaker 1: You got this, Alex.
Speaker 2: He paid his debts to society. Come on, I'm sure he turned around. He learned a lot of lessons. Casey. In your article from The Verge titled Cambridge Analytica died because it couldn't stop playing the victim, you wrote, Cambridge Analytica was nothing if not consistent. After nearly two months of scandal, the Trump campaign's one time data analytics firm died as it lived, denying it ever did anything wrong and excoriating the journalists who reported about the ways in which it misused data. No one at Cambridge Analytica was sorry for what the company did, and few will be sorry to see it go. I love your writing, both of you guys. I truly it's like there's just a it's like a little chippy, you know, but also just deeply honest and like attached to I think you guys are coming from a place of deep integrity, and I really appreciate that. This is obviously the classic deny, deny, deny move which we see so much in the political sphere. Now, do you think it's just as prevalent in the tech world. I don't have a sense of that. I mean, obviously it's the it's de rigueur in the political space.
Speaker 4: What specifically just this kind of just like can deny everything.
Speaker 2: Take no responsibility. I mean, we were just talking about how Zuckerberg is a little bit of sort of like pablum supplier.
Speaker 4: But I mean my view on this is that Silicon Valley at the very least used to pay more lip service to corporate responsibility. You know, I started covering tech in twenty ten, and I you know, spent the first decades hearing companies talk endlessly about all of the good that they were doing in the world and how they were going to sort of change everything around us for the better. I think the moment that changed was when Elon Musk bought Twitter. Because Elon Musk did not really pretend that he I mean, he would you know, make noises sometimes about you know, Twitter saving civilization, but it was also sort of like lofty and ridiculous. I think no one took it seriously. But then in the meantime, you know, he would like fire the team doing the content moderation. He would post incredibly offensive things online all the time, he would laid off many of his employees, and a lot of the other CEOs in Silicon Valley took a look at the fact that no matter how outrageous Elon musks behavior was, value of his company has kept going up, and they said, why have I been paying lip serviced all this corporate responsibility stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't have to do that. I'm just gonna do what I want.
Speaker 4: And so we're now sort of living in like that dark world where no one feels any like like the like they can sort of get away with the stuff that they have been wanting to do the whole time.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's i would say, it's even like it's even gone further than that, to the point where you know, if these CEOs used to be virtue signaling, they are now vice signaling.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: They want to be seen as sort of care free bad boys who don't play by the rules, because that is sort of the vibe in this class of executives Now it's not cool if you're a CEO to be bossed around by your employees or to take cues about how to run your company from from anyone else. What is in is founder mode and the idea that you just have to sort of rule with an iron fist. So I think there's been a real cultural shift in Silicon Valleant and Mark Zuckerberg is a great example of that. You know, you will notice that he no longer apologizes for things when he went when you know, meta as it's now called, does something that gets a lot of people upset. You don't see him doing these sort of apologetic press tours and saying, oh, I feel so much responsibility over this, because that is not the it's not required de ragur to borrow your French phrase that that CEO should do that anymore.
Speaker 2: Can we go back to virtue signaling?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, can we just what's like? Virtue signaling is mildly annoying, but the but vice signaling is like deeply unsettled.
Speaker 4: Right Also, like I would hope that even the people complaining about virtue signaling would admit that it's still like good to have virtues, you know, thank you, We should still like have basic principles that we operate by that you know, create a better world. So yeah, I would love.
Speaker 2: To see if the accusation is that you're not living up to the virtue is that you're espousing. I can deal with that a lot more than just espousing horseshit as like your value system anyway.
Speaker 1: That's I think it's important to have both virtues and vices.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh, elaborate, Kevin, what are your favorite vikes?
Speaker 1: He's a huge scambler. Inside every person, there's a you know, there's of course.
Speaker 2: We contained multitude. This has sort of emerged throughout our discussion, but it's worth putting a fine point on the fact that it came out later that Cambridge Analytica's efforts may not have had nearly as much impact as they intended or claimed, which perhaps it really was just a giant scam, a scam of a scam. But Cambridge Analytica's shuddering wasn't the end for this case. Finally, in twenty twenty two came the drum roll please class action lawsuit Facebook I'm sorry now. Meta agreed to pay seven hundred and twenty five million to set a legal action over the data breach of victory. But you know, a record twenty eight million people had staked their claim, equating to an average payout of thirty dollars. Was this a win? Yeah?
Speaker 1: This was huge.
Speaker 4: I think everyone who was really upset about Donald Trump's election and some of the underhanded tactics that Cambridge Analytica employed to get there, all.
Speaker 1: They really wanted was thirty dollars.
Speaker 4: And so when that came down, I think people were like, all right, that actually was like that was a fair deal. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm retired on that thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes. Facebook did also bay a record five billion dollar fine to the US government. The previous record holder was Equifax, who had been charged four hundred and twenty five so that's a pretty big jump. On top of that, there was an sec penalty of one hundred million. The UK Information Commissioner's Office will find them five hundred thousand pounds afterward. According to The Guardian and Channel four, Facebook quote modified their corporate structure to ensure executives are more accountable for users privacy, and they also locked down quote their APIs as you reported, Casey, And that's the extent of it, guys, that's the whole kitten kaboodle of Cambridge Analytica, which I always want to say Encyclopedia Britannica whenever the name comes up. That's the first thing that falls in my head. But before we dive into just a couple of wrap up reflections, did we miss anything? Was there any like crucial part of this narrative that I skipped? Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, one of the reasons that the British press seized on this story and sort of led a lot of the coverage was that it was also implicated in Brexit of US, and that there was a lot of thinking that the same forces that wanted Trump to win also wanted Brexit to happen, and so they had sort of run their same psychographic operation on the UK and Brexit wound up being successful. So I think that's an important thing to point out, because even though again I do believe that a lot of the feeders around what Cambrage Analytica actually did or overstated, the fact that it was implicated in these two kind of like epical shifts in Western civilization within a couple of years of each other is one of the big reasons why it caught fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that, and I would just add one more sort of coda to this story, which is that I think this scandal cost Facebook in one particular way. And I'm not sure about this, but I'm just piecing together some threads here, which is that in twenty eighteen, as they were dealing with this, this was also the year that researchers at places like open Ai and Google were starting to experiment with these new kinds of AI systems. At the time, Facebook was one of the leading AI research companies. They had a lot of researchers, they had this big division, and they basically missed this wave in part, I think because they were so distracted by all of the political controversies and the testimonies and the hearings, and the fines and the regulation threats, and I think it was just if you could sort of speculate, you know, that these things have kind of a butterfly effect. I think that one of the reasons that they were late to this new wave of AI that is now they are now spending a lot of money to try to catch up in is that they were just really distracted. And part of that distraction was this Cambridge Analytica business in summation.
Speaker 2: Guys, I just have one sort of one last, sort of broad reflective question. I love that Zuckerberg's original mantra was move fast and break things, and then in twenty fourteen they changed it to move fast with stable infrastructure. Of course, this was before all of this stuff broke down, so apparently they didn't stick to it very well. But it does indicate an awareness of some of their liability, an awareness that perhaps they're not sort of signaling ethics forward in the way that they should be. They should be doing better. Cambridge Analytica was a huge misstep. But I'm curious for both of you, guys so entrenched in the tech industry right now, do you feel like the general sense of the integrity of the leadership in tech is trending better? Or it feels like we went through a phase like you were just describing Casey, where you know, maybe Musk taking over Twitter was like the inflection point of a downward trend. Are we where are we headed? And please tap into your inner optimism here?
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm trying to think of an optimistic take on this that I actually believe. I think that if I have any optimism it's that we're sort of reaching the Nader, you know, like we have seen over the past few years, most of the CEOs try to align themselves with just these sort of very exploitative, hyper capitalist forces where they seem like they scarcely care about any individual like one of their customers. And I think that that is just going to burn itself out, like I do, like I feel like right now we are being consumed by a fever, and I think the fever is going to pass, and I do not think it is going to kill the patient. And I think that once that fever has passed, people are going to be looking around and they're once again going to align themselves with you know, companies and CEOs and political leaders who do actually signal some virtues and live up to them and seem to sort of have their best interests at heart. So I think we are in a pretty dark time for that at the moment, but I don't think it'll last for ever.
Speaker 1: I'll offer one more threat of optimism.
Speaker 2: Please, But first let me just say that was beautiful. That was such a deep dig for optimism and I believed it and I really appreciated all Right, Kevin.
Speaker 1: Mine is optimistic in a slightly different way, which is related to the last discussion about AI and how Meta had missed out on this moment in part because they were distracted. Imagine how scared people would be right now about AI if Mark Zuckerberg and Meta were the leading AI companies in the world, as much as people are terrified of this stuff taking jobs and you know, creating cyber attacks and blowing up the world. I think we're in a better place now because Meta fell behind during that moment than we would be if they had really recognized that something was shifting and moved to act on it faster. So that's not exactly optimism, but it's kind of like a it could be worse moment.
Speaker 2: Well, my only pushback on that is that I don't feel like Sam Altman is any better than Mark Zuckerberg, and in some ways scares me even more to say that there's you guys have seen these these trending videos where people kind of catch chat ept either being overconfident or or or not able to spell, or not able to use a timer and things like that. I love those. They're very they're very funny and entertaining, but they're also they're they're also incredibly revealing that these ais are just not operating the way we think they are at all, and we've fully anthropomorphized them at this point. But but they're they're flawed, They're deeply flawed. These incredibly simple like intellectual tests are failing. And also the thing that's scaring me about those is that is the confidence with which it pushes through them, And it pushes through with an arrogance and a kind of like this reassuring thing that you're wrong. It's like the tone is that you're wrong and you've asked the wrong question, or that you've done by by catching them your sort of your and I I find that deeply unnerving and weirdly reflective of the leadership of chat GPT. And I don't understand the technology, but but in the ways that institutions often can reflect their leaders that feels like such a literal way in which chat gpt is reflecting Sam Altman, who is now widely reported to be a very untrustworthy person. So and also a bullshit artist, which is what the app is doing in those moments.
Speaker 1: So I was trying to lend a note of optimism, but you took us right back down to hell. So I.
Speaker 2: I tried, I'm gonna pull you down in this whirlpool. Uh No, But I I don't know, did that even make sense to what I'm saying there?
Speaker 1: I think I think that. I think it's a fair point.
Speaker 4: Now, It's also true that like all of the apps, you know, hallucinate in this in the same way. But like, is there a sort of general over confidence and cockiness and bullshit about the tech world?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Well, guys, this has been an absolute delight and I truly have learned a lot from you, which is really exciting for me. And I just want to thank you for being so damn delightful and brilliant. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This was so fun.
Speaker 2: SNAFU is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snapfu Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith, Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the collected works. Legal review from Dan Welsh Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horne, Lane Kline, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.