Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday.
Speaker 3: Football coming up tonight, It'll be the Buffalo Bills on the road against the Miami Dolphins and Miami is favored by two and a half. Breaking news last hour, the PAC twelve is backish. It's Boise State, san Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State, joining Washington State and Oregon State. I guess if you have state in your name, then you can join the conference. So Boise State, san Diego State, Presno State, Colorado State, Oregon State, Washington State, and probably going to add a few more schools and they would be joining in twenty twenty six. Now you've got Mountain West teams that are leaving and they are contractually bound to a seventeen million dollar exit fee. But the PAC twelve is also on the hook for at least ten million dollar penalty per school that they acquire, part of a scheduling agreement that the conference struck with the Mountain West. But everybody who's going to get paid. Maybe the PAC twelve will then be part of the automatic berths into the twelve team playoff, which is what would interest me we'll have more on this story coming up. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. They are the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. And we'll get to your phone calls coming up. Poll question from hour one once again, if you're just joining us Fritzy somehow, some way sort of a willis reed Kirk Gibson type moment was able to get to work today as he has a cold, and we're not sure if that means he's sick, that he has a cold. I said, he's not sick. But you're on the doorstep. You're on death's doorstep right now.
Speaker 4: Like the day before, the day before.
Speaker 3: Yes, King, Yeah, but you won't miss it. Meet Friday tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'd be highly unlikely, I think, But Monday, who knows? Who knows? All right, see and clean up Hour one If you can, please.
Speaker 5: Do you consider having a cold being sick?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 6: Sixty two percent of the audience say yes. Also, this is shockingly high number for the no answers there. Also, is it a quarterback's job to make sure his top receiver gets more touches?
Speaker 5: Slash is targeted more? Right now? Fifty four percent of the audience say yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: This came up because Kyler Murray missed Marvin Harrison Junior for a game winning touchdown pass against Buffalo, and I would think it would be hard to miss or not factor in your top five receiver, your you know, potential Rookie of the Year candidate and by all accounts, one of the best receivers to come out of college in.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 3: They target him three times against Buffalo, he was open, wide open for what would have been a game winning score, and then Kyler Murray had this to say about not getting Marvin Harrison the ball or they do it fayaway Martin.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say they was taking them away. I think, you know, I'm just as a quarterback. Obviously, you go with your reads. Sometimes the ball goes to them, but that's not you know, it's not my job.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 7: You know, I have a I have a sense and a feel for guys when they don't get the ball, when they're you know, when they are getting the ball. But you know, I'll leave that up to Drew. You know, Drew always, you know, he tells me, don't worry about that type of stuff. Just keep playing a game and you know, get the ball to where the ball is supposed to go.
Speaker 3: Offensive coordinator Drew Petsing, Hey, don't blame me, blame him. Nah, it's got to start with you. That's you take ownership, and you've been around long enough that you can take ownership of this to say, you know what, something that Drew and I are going to get together to make sure that we get him the ball. You know, it's incumbent upon me to get the ball to our playmakers, to our best players, and Marvin certainly is one of those players. I can do a better job and then it goes away. But when you say, hey, not my fault, offensive coordinators fall and they got the Rams coming up this weekend, I'm guessing Marvin Harrison is going to have more than three targets in this game, all right, eight seven to seven to three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: See, I do feel bad for Kyler because he's in that spot where he we're breaking down every fifth word of his like soundbites, because he said three things wrong just in that twenty seconds or whatever it is. But that's kind of where he is right now on week two of this season, that's tough.
Speaker 3: Yes, but the quarterback has to fall on the sword occasionally, even if it's not your fault, even if a receiver breaks the other way the wrong way, or your offensive line allows six sacks. You know, Hey, don't blame me, blame them. You have to swallow it sometimes. And that's what he has to learn. He should already have learned how to do that, just to say, you know what, we are going to do better. We're gonna, you know, we're gonna come up with a great game plan. And hey, give Buffalo credit. If you want to do that, you can do that too. But he's got to learn, you know, fall on the sword occasionally. Here Bob in California. Hi Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan, thanks for having me on. Longtime listener. I love your public safety display that you have in front of you. I always appreciated that and wanted to tell you that. But Kyler, we're season ticket holders for the Cards, and I don't remember Warner saying that about Fitzgerald. I mean, he always found him. And the thing is, nobody wants to say this about Kyler. He just can't see over the line. And I've been saying that since they drafted him, and I go to the games and I get a little frustrated because he runs around a lot and he's pretty quick, but once in a while he can't see downfield and he's playing the game. He's a pro, but he's a number one draft choice, He's getting paid a lot of money. There's a lot on his shoulders. But he should take responsibility. I think your analysis was right on point, and I hope he hears people talking about this and take responsibility and lead the team. That's what he should be doing. And that's my opinion.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bob, thank you for the phone call. And once again people have already brought up social media wise, oh you go back aways with Kyler.
Speaker 2: You don't like him.
Speaker 3: And we settled that what happened at the super Bowl when he was promoting Gatorade and did a horrible job, we moved past that. We had him on a couple of times, we laughed about that. It's just he's one of those guys who was so great in high school, so great in college, and you can get by without putting in all the time and effort. Michael Vick famously did this. He didn't put in the time when he was with the Falcons. I just want him to be able to maximize an incredible amount of potential. And I don't know if he ever will. I think we'll look back on his career and probably say it's a disappointment because he does have all of the talent. And yes, is it tough for him to see over the line of scrimmage. Yes, I can understand it if people feel like that's a big problem for him. He's used his legs his entire football career. When you get to the NFL, you got to use your mind. That's what separates these guys. They all have talent. It's who is going to put in the time, who processes, who's smart? You know, who's staying the extra hour, the extra day, whatever it is, put in the time. Because everybody has talent, some more than others, and you got to put in the time and the effort.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's one of those things too that people like misread say about the show or something like, oh, you don't like Kyler because of that interview that he gave. If anything, I root for more because of that interview you gave. I'm like, thank you, that was awesome. It was like one of the best moments in show history. Was you sitting there being like.
Speaker 2: Uh uh, that was awesome.
Speaker 5: That was great, thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was one of the great moments.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it was awesome. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: It's so much better than him being like, well, you know, right now, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I really haven't made any decisions yet. But if he had handled it well, that would have been boring as hell. Instead, he you know, threw up all over himself on the show. It's like, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Okay, Marvin, was you stumbling through Deebo Samuel interview a great moment?
Speaker 2: Yes, either it's got to be really great or really bad.
Speaker 3: But you always complain about how uncomfortable you were. And then I said, hey, you ask him a question. But so you say that was a great moment for you.
Speaker 9: Yes, oh okay, but oh the day it happened, oh, I was not in the best of moods it.
Speaker 3: But looking back on it, that was a tough one. That's because he hung me out to dry. But once again, we moved past it. We joked about it, and he just wasn't ready for the moment there, and I was trying to help him the best I could.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't matter. Now.
Speaker 3: I want to see greatness. I don't want to sit here and go, oh my god, this guy is going to be a bust. So this guy I want to see the best. That'd be a great story.
Speaker 4: But all this.
Speaker 3: We get so caught up and it becomes something larger than it's right there.
Speaker 2: And this is what I saw with Kyler Murray. That's it.
Speaker 3: It's not, you know, let's have this tentacles that go out a couple of years there. It's not I have nothing against Kyler Murray. It's like people were saying to me, you know, you were too critical of Tom Brady, and I go, no, I wasn't. We were asked a question. We ask each other a question, how did Tom do? And I told you I didn't think he had a good debut. It is the biggest contract in sports broadcasting history. He's the greatest quarterback of all time. And what did I say? He knows football, he has to understand TV. If Tom called me privately, I would have said the exact same thing that I said to you.
Speaker 2: I have nothing against Tom Brady. How could you.
Speaker 3: But when it comes to broadcasting, as if Lebron makes his debut against Sacramento, everybody had an opinion on that, So why can't we have an opinion on Tom Brady broadcasting. He's going to be broadcasting the Super Bowl. It's in that moment.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Will he get better?
Speaker 3: Yes, But then you have people who are sticking up for Tom Brady and saying, you know, people calling him the worst broadcaster in history.
Speaker 2: First of all, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I just said he has to learn TV, the cadence, the synchronicity, his voice is going to be an issue. But I said he must attack the play the game the way he did when he played quarterback. You cannot sit back and let you know the game kind of come to you. He's got to be ahead of the game. Now, you can recap a play if you want, but I want you ahead of the game. I want you to be on your toes. I want you to be Tom Brady the quarterback.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 3: There's nothing to do with Oh my gosh, you're going out of your way to criticize. If Tom can't take this, he should not be in the business. Because everybody's going to have an opinion every game there'll be a referendum on Tom Brady. I just want him to tell stories. I want him to be Tom Brady the quarterback as an analyst. Don't wait, be aggressive and he'll learn he should. But Kyler Murray, I have no beef with Tom. I just gave him an honor. That's an honest opinion. Now I could have come out and said I thought he did pretty well.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: That would that wouldn't be honest. Do I think he's going to get better? I do, because he'll understand. He was kind of frozen at times because he didn't know how much he could talk, what to say and understanding fifteen seconds, twenty seconds, then letting Kevin Burkhart, the play by play guy, take over. But man, people get it's like it's one moment. It's okay, we can be critical. I'm not going out of my way for a hot take. But people have that feeling of everybody's got a hot take. No, not everybody does. Sometimes it's just I've been doing this forty years. I gave you a real take, not hot, not trying to troll you.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Whenever I talk about Caitlin Clark, I'm not trying to troll you. I'm giving you an honest opinion of somebody who knows basketball and knows women's basketball as well, and the coverage that it deserves. Like we didn't just start with Caitlyn Clark when she got to the WNBA or Angel. I'm giving you just an honest opinion, and that's that's how we do it. Let me take a break. Eli Manning is going to join us, and uh, let's see a little later on. Ross Tucker will stop by as well. We'll come up with a poll question for hour two as well. Just getting started here, Dan and The Dan Nuts Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey Gang list is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental wealth.
Speaker 12: Podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsay Vaughn, Michael phelf, David Spade, Got Fiemi, and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milett for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity.
Speaker 11: To get to the top, We've all.
Speaker 12: Used different tools.
Speaker 11: Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the i Art radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 3: He's Eli Manning, two times Super Bowl MVP, and today hundreds of New York City street cart vendors are ditching their New York pretzels for kings Hawaiian soft pretzel bites. They, of course, are big sponsor King Jawaian. They're going to bring us meet Friday, coming up tomorrow. But look who's in the heart of New York City. It's Eli Manning joining us on the program. How are Eli?
Speaker 13: I'm doing great, Dan, How are you? I gotta get you to come visit my card. You know you gotta get some soft pretzel bites here.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to have that tomorrow. Kings Hawaiian is coming to us and then they're going to bring that. It looks like you're running a lemonade stand here.
Speaker 13: It is. That is the idea, except it's Kings of Wan soft pretzel bites instead. And I'm in the middle of New York City and this is what I do. You know, New York brought me so much joy and their support. I want to give back by giving out some self prep the bikes.
Speaker 3: You look at you, you're just a man of the people. Okay, But do you ever run into a fan who's mad at you for something that you may have done during your career?
Speaker 13: You know, I think five years being retired, they've forgotten. So maybe how they forget about all the interceptions, the terrible games, the losses. They always remember the good stuff, and so I you know, the same thing happens to quarterbacks. You know, five years of my I lost the game, a game I thought we won.
Speaker 3: Everyone I was watching the Manning cast and I was wondering, with your brother and Bill Belichick there in the same room, who is more of a football nerd Peyton or coach Belichick?
Speaker 13: Oh man, I got to I mean, I think I gotta go with Belichick.
Speaker 4: Just.
Speaker 13: I mean, he's just an encyclopedia of knowledge on football and everything. You could hear him in the TV timeouts. There's someone in his room that he's talking with. He's like, Hey, they're going like bear defense, This is not real sound. I don't like this move like he is. He is, you know, constantly just game planning, analyzing, looking at everything, seeing things that are unique or different, or oh this is a really good and so I mean he is just right in the middle of it. Peyton during the during the TV timeouts, he's eating like a chicken parm sandwich or like you know, he's buffalo wings. Just you know, he's always got sauce on his face. He's a disaster.
Speaker 3: But he was offended when Brandon and Ik dropped that ball like it it was if he was still playing it. It hurts him sometimes to watch bad football.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 13: It does hurt him, and especially when a guy's fit out of training camp. You sit out, you sign this big, great, big contract, and then you drop, you drop past this like what you know, Hey, let's get the contract done. I think he's just mad at the whole situation that that the idea of like missing training camp blows his mind to him.
Speaker 4: He looked forward to training camp. He's like, finally I get to go.
Speaker 13: I think it'sould be a longer training camp, we'd have longer football season.
Speaker 4: And that's his mentality.
Speaker 13: So I think if he sense it, if someone doesn't have that same mentality, he just can't resonate.
Speaker 3: There was a sneaky line that you know, Belichick talked about going to those Super Bowl parties after you lose the Super Bowl and then you go. I never went to one of those, and it was it was an awesome line just to see Belichick's response to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 13: I almost say like, hey, you know, Bill, were you invited the Peyton's loser, you know, super Bowl party? But I bit my tongue. I can't say that the coach Belichick too much respect for him. He won to me the other you know, super Bowls, and but yeah, I mean Peyton. I was surprised, like you know about having everybody had to lost the championship to get invited to this party.
Speaker 4: So I guess I'm glad I wasn't invited.
Speaker 3: He's Eli Manning, two times Super Bowl MVP, joining his courtesy of Kings Hawaiian their new soft prencil bites, and he's in the heart of Manhattan's Flat Iron district. Today, Connor Murray talked about, hey, you know, the game plan didn't call for us to get the ball to Marvin Harrison. He said, you know, like pointed the finger at the offensive coordinator. He said, it's not on the quarterback, okay, And I criticized him because even if it's not on you, it is on you. You're the quarterback, you own it, it's your team. But how do you get the ball to somebody who everybody knows that you want to get the ball too?
Speaker 13: Well, I think there's always a couple staple plays where you can put them, you know, put your receiver to a certain spot, you know, and this is a no matter basically, no matter what the coverage is, no matter what the defense. You know, we can get him the ball on the outside on a short end or on a hitch route, on a plant route, and it's not guaranteed it's going on there. They could dictate the coverage to take you away. But you know, I don't. I don't think that Marvin Harrison Junior is getting double teams on every play right now. I don't think, you know, as a rookie hadn't played a game, I don't think you're gonna draw that attention. And sometimes it's just it is truly just based on you know, we want to get them the ball.
Speaker 4: If they're playing Manda man, you're going to go to your guy.
Speaker 13: But it just depends on on what the coverage is, or you have some special plays to get them on some play action. Those are the ones a little harder and we have a play action a two man route, maybe they play a different coverage or he gets covered up by the by his own coverage. But there are a couple of plays in this you know, three step five step passing game where you can't get the ball to, you know, to certain guys.
Speaker 3: How often would receivers come back to you in the huddle and say I'm open.
Speaker 13: They you know, we have pretty good receivers. If you it's one of those feels if you ask them, hey, were you open on the last play, the answer is always yes.
Speaker 4: Like they don't they don't even think.
Speaker 13: About what the play was. They don't even it's yes, that's just their mentality. But there are there are, you know, times we're on the sideline. They'll come up and they'll be like, hey, this guy cannot hang with me. They're they're pressing it. I'm running by him. Or they'll come and say, hey, this guy's getting antsy. We need to double move them. Like normally they have pretty good suggestions, and you know, there and there were times there were maybe a few times on the sideline where I worked, you know, worked the other side of a man. The man I threw a you know, a fade stop to your team mix, and I would ask like Victor, Hey, Victor, did you get opened on the fade on the other side, And sometimes he would say like no, not not really, not really. He kind of covered me up on that one. But you know, next time, I definitely don't beat him. I'm prepared for the next one. So they don't want you to think don't go to him by any means.
Speaker 3: Patients for rookie quarterbacks like, at what point do we get a sense of what kind of season it's going to be for these rookie quarterbacks.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, I think it takes, like a good it kind of takes to the halfway point. I really do feel it takes that long to get a sense of of your offense, of what's going on, the comfort level for the quarterback to maybe have an honest conversation with the offensive coordinator being like, hey, I really like this play, or if there's a play that the coordinator really likes, for the quarterback to be like, hey, I'm just not feeling it yet. Like at first, you just kind of like what the coordinator likes and you don't know any better. And then as the season goes along, you start to you know, kind of get your favorite plays, You get your favorite concepts, you understanding the protections more and the rhythm of certain plays, and you start, you know, getting the nerve to say, hey, let's let's just run this play like this is my favorite play, Let's run it.
Speaker 4: Three times and just change up the formation a little bit so I can get completions, I can get into a rhythm.
Speaker 13: And I really do think it just takes It takes about, you know, a halfway point to get that confidence and to get the feel and the speeds of the game.
Speaker 3: I look at demeanor of quarterbacks, young quarterbacks, because chances are they had a really successful college career. They're not used to, hey, I just threw a pick six. Now I got to go back out like you show me more after a pick six or an interception than you do after a touchdown. I want to see how you go back out there after doing something like that. You know, I don't know how important that is for you. If you're looking at somebody's head is down or they go out there and they're like all right, come on, let's go.
Speaker 2: That was one play. Let's get it back.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's a good thing to look at.
Speaker 13: And also just you know, if if they make a bad play, they do a bad interception that next series, do they get gunshot. Are they are they going to come out and still you know, rip this this skinny post on time or are they going to be like a little hesitant to go to the checkdown a little hesitant and not not you know, kate their eyes down the field and said just you know, find my completions instead of you know, hey, if something's open, I'm still gonna rip this.
Speaker 4: I still got confidence I can make these throws.
Speaker 13: And so the you know, being being kind of cautious is not a great thing, uh as an NFL quarterback, and usually leads to more mistakes. Now you're maybe not throwing it to your first read who is open, but it's a longer throw and you're going to check down versus man, which is not great and you can lead the more problems. So it's something to look forward to and make sure they don't get conservative, they don't get gun shy, and they still feel they can go and and uh, you know, ball get the ball out on Tom.
Speaker 3: Are you contractually obligated to say nice things about the New York Giants play this year?
Speaker 13: I'm I'm not obligated to say nice things. I think after week one, just you know, understanding, I've been in this situation. I've had a bad week one before. I've thrown three interceptions in week one. We've had losses, and we've we've started going too and in a Super Bowl year we started going to and and I had to go down to wash In and down at halftime and how to come back, when to get on a little wind streak. I also know it can change quickly. You can, you can get your confidence bat you can get on a wind streak. So that's what I'm always optimistic and and I'm a fan of the Giants. I'm a fan of the coaches. I know him personally. I see how hard they work. I'm a fan of Daniel Jones and what in this rooting form to do well. And I'm going to be optimistic in that.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you have fun down there in the Flat Iron District. It's King Sawaiian. These soft pretzel bites the first ever snack by King Sawaiian great people that have become one of our favorite sponsors. Good to talk to you, Eli, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: All right, Dan, thanks so much. A lot of fun all right.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, he's got his cooking apron on down there, beautiful day in New York City, Flat Iron District, hard of New York City, cooking up some grub there for whoever comes by.
Speaker 2: Yes, bully, I thought came up on the screen.
Speaker 5: It was like one of those green screen backdrops.
Speaker 2: Yes, Cgi, he's on the.
Speaker 10: Corner in New York City and there's a bus behind him just pounding smoke into his area.
Speaker 2: Man of the people. Yeah, yeah, No, imagine you're walking. Ok, Hey there's Eli Manning buns.
Speaker 3: No, that's when you go, God, what happened to Eli Manning? He's got a little pop up there, you know, man, what happened to him?
Speaker 2: After his career? It's selling sandwiches here.
Speaker 3: Due to injury concerns, the preseason is more about kind of filling up your roster, making sure that you get guys to see if they can make your roster. Your starters aren't playing very much, and I was starting to wonder about this with the lack of touchdown passes in Week one. The number of passing touchdowns around the NFL has dropped four consecutive seasons. In Week one back in twenty twenty one, sixty one touchdowns week one. Last week we had thirty four. And I know it's not an exact science. There are variables that are going to play a role here, but it feels like getting your offense ready for the regular season is tougher, a slower start than getting your defense ready for the regular season. But these numbers, these are alarming. Sixty one touchdowns in twenty nineteen, fifty two in twenty twenty, sixty one in twenty twenty one, fifty one in twenty twenty two, thirty seven, last year, thirty four.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 3: Stat of your day, sat of the day, that past stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 2: You're coming here comes that? What stat of the day.
Speaker 3: I'm brought to you by pannadi America, the Official the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Now, I do think defenses, and this had to happen because eventually you got to figure out how do we stop them or contain them? And you know, well, maybe we're seeing more intricate defenses, better athletes on defense, a better concept of what they need to do on defense. But I do think slow starts. I'd be curious if we looked at week four touchdowns touchdown passes, and we did that the last five years, and then do it in week four this year. Maybe you know the offenses by having a month under their belt, maybe we're going to see more progress there. But those are alarming numbers, thirty four touchdown passes when they had sixty one in twenty nineteen. We'll talk to Ross Tucker about that. He'll join us coming up next hour. Let's see Chuck in Illinois. Hi, Chuck, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good morning Dan in Illinois?
Speaker 4: The pond counts very high? Is Fritzie? Sure? It's cold? Not allergies? Fritzy?
Speaker 2: Do you have allergies? Not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 10: I never went for a battery of shockingly of tests without allergies.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's allergies. I think it's just so there you go, Chuck.
Speaker 14: But at the same time, what's the color of his mucus?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't think we want to go there. Chunk, Actually don't have any mucus? Okay, not yet? Yeah, that seems predicting to be on Monday.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's definitely going to happen Monday through the following Wednesday.
Speaker 2: We've we've been through the steps here.
Speaker 9: I appreciate you guys putting the pots on it and wait to see how sicky that get in two three days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's the the grieving process here of Fritzy that he's sick ish.
Speaker 5: You're aware of how colds work.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I know what's happening, but you got to take care of yourself this week.
Speaker 2: I got a soup, invitamin C and rest. All right, thank you, uh Griffin and Cincinnati High Griff.
Speaker 4: Two quick things.
Speaker 14: One Fritzy gargle hot water in salt. There is no copay involved. It is a miracle drug. It is free of charge and it will solve all your problems.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh?
Speaker 14: Two Dan with Eli Man, I don't know how many people expected him to be good in the media. I'm not sure if that was a big thing with him as a player. But are there any former athletes that have surprised you about how well they turned out to be in the media? And then maybe on the flip side, any athletes she thought might do well and just didn't end up doing all that great splash.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Griff Romo surprised me.
Speaker 3: I didn't know he was going to come out of the gate because we had heard him being interviewed after games. And really that's not a great sample size of how somebody's going to be in the media. I mean, there are guys who didn't talk to the media. Sterling Sharpe famously didn't talk to the media, but he was really good when he got into the media. Certain guys that I'm trying to think, who comes to mind here? I remember Joe Montana and Jim Brown and Joe Namath obviously Hall of famers, but I didn't think they were They were good in the met after they retired. Steve Young I thought was made for the media. I find him one of my more favorite interviews. Randy Moss. I didn't know if he would be good, but when he wants to be good, he can be great. He can tell you stories, he's animated. I mean, there's so many dan Orlofsky out of nowhere for the Mothership.
Speaker 2: Surprised me.
Speaker 3: Who else comes to mind? I think Julian Edelman is really good. I think a bigger platform. I think he's got a sense of humor, He's not afraid of making fun of Brady, and he's got stories to tell, and really comes down to how much do you want to put yourself out there?
Speaker 2: A lot of times it'll be guys.
Speaker 3: Who weren't marquee players, but they know they have to kind of go above and beyond the call of duty.
Speaker 2: They have to give you more than what the star does.
Speaker 3: A lot of times, and we would have athletes come in, her coaches come in, and depending on their their success level as a coach or player, it kind of felt like they were giving you that kind of information or analysis energy based off Hey, I'm going to be a future Hall of Famer or hey I'm just going job to job. I might get more out of that coach or that player than I would out of somebody who had more of a higher reputation there. Yes, Marv Chase Daniel also surprising. Yeah, working hard, but he's putting in the time. You know, he's You got to get comfortable with questions answers. What can you say? How are you going to say it? Are you funny?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Like Ross Tucker. Ross was a journeyman lineman he's great. He's so much fun.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Golick, My Golick made a career out of this and he wasn't a great player, But you make that decision of I can laugh at myself, I can tell stories, and that's what I tell you. Know, Tony Dungee is a Hall of Famer. Rodney Harrison should be a Hall of Famer. And I said, you have to share, and you're so used to not sharing. Tony would go to a press conference trying not to say something, and I said, you're going to have to be critical at some point with certain things. And he eventually learned to do that, but it was difficult because you're trying to get them to give you something without that feeling of I'm extracting a tooth from them.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: You also see guys like Ryan Clark and Greg Olsen start their media careers while there's while they're still playing. Do you think more players should do that at the end of their careers, start to kind of shadow people and go to ESPN during the off season just to get some reps in before they go into it full time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lot of guys have done that. Yeah, and that's great.
Speaker 3: Draymond Green's doing that that you're seeing like Michael Strahan did that. Strayhan, I mean I was around him, covered him, and then didn't realize that he was going to be like he's on Good Morning America. I mean he's got a that's a big social profile. Who's our guy with the CBS, NA Merlson, good career, great postcar awesome, awesome. You know you see that. That's what Tiki Barber should have had. And Tiki was ahead of the curve where he was already doing stuff for NBC. Boomers sisin got in and knew what to do doing radio and then doing CBS. Chris Collins were the same way getting in. I mean, that's that's the thing. Getting those reps understanding TV. It goes back to what I said about Tom Brady. He obviously knows football. Now the hard part you have to learn TV. We'll take a break. The PAC twelve is back. What exactly does that mean?
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: App Mention this earlier PAC twelve is rebuilding the conference Boise State San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State set to join Oregon State, Washington State for the twenty twenty six school year. Ross Dellinger's job to cover college football and the Younghu Sports National College Football reporter joins us SO. PAC twelve is back ish. What's it mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they are back.
Speaker 10: They're back at six dans to the six pack right now, but they they need two more at least at least two more teams to reach eight members, which is the would get them to the NCAA minimum to be designated as an FBS conference. And they need those. They need to get to eight members by twenty twenty six, and then from there, you know, they'll probably be there'll be a reinstated as a guess, a new group of five conference. At that point, you'd have six of them, right, Sunbelt, Mountain West, the American Athletic Conference, the MAC, and Conference USA. So they're back. They're back for now. It'll be interesting as we go to see what kind of TV deal they get, you know, and what kind of marketability the PAC twelve has as a reband rebranded, kind of reimagined group of programs.
Speaker 2: All right, So who would they add to get up to eight schools.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think plenty of options out there. I think the new PAC twelve wants to be sort of known as the best of the rest, so to speak, all of those outside of the Power Conference schools. So when it comes to brand power DAN television markets on the field success, you look at all those things. I think they probably will look eastward now in to the state of Texas, maybe a program like Memphis Tulane, those Texas schools like Texas State, UTSA, North Texas, maybe even South Florida. There that would be a long way away, right. Geography would be would play a factor as well, But there's there's certainly those options. And if that fails Dan, I think they look back back west and they go back to maybe some other Mountain West Conference schools.
Speaker 3: Could this have been prevented? How could this have been prevented? The dissolvement of the PAC twelve?
Speaker 10: Oh Man, Well, yeah, how many? How many ways this could been prevented? I mean, the most recent way I think that it could have been prevented is August twenty twenty two, when the PAC twelve presidents and looking for a new television deal, presented with an agreement from ESPN and they turned it down, and when they turned it down and went to market, the market wasn't what they expected DAN, and that led them to down a path with Apple a streaming obviously streaming platform for their television dealal and that was something that got pushed back and it obviously led to the exit of Colorado, and that kind of had the domino effect right of Washington and Oregon deciding to go to the Big ten and then then it all kind of fell apart. But even if you go beyond before that, right before August twenty twenty two, there was July of that year, a couple months before that when USC and UCLA announced they were leaving for the Big ten DAN, and that really was the big blow. That was thirty to forty percent of the value of the PAC twelve.
Speaker 3: Before I Let You Go, we were talking about this prior to the show. Could you see a schedule maker for college football at some point down the road where you know they're being strategic and we're going to have a noon kickoff at three o'clock and an eight o'clock and you're going to treat it like the NFL does that there's not going to be cupcakes that we're going to schedule this. So I just think they're missing out on even more revenue, and that is TV revenue getting these matchups. And like we accidentally had Texas in Michigan because Sarkesian said, I didn't schedule that. But if you have a schedule maker, could you see the top fifty schools where you have a schedule release party like the NFL does, and you get to show these marquee matchups and you can kind of build upon that momentum.
Speaker 10: What do you think, Well, this is a great topic, and yes, it is one being discussed at the highest levels. I think right now in college athletics, if you could have some kind of a lot clients or agreements to have better, more interesting matchups, and I think we're moving in that direction. The problem with college athletics DAN, obviously is it's such a fractured group.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: The conferences are only about themselves their conference. The schools are only about themselves their school. So you do need somebody to come in and kind of get avery to consolidate everything, get everybody together on the same page, and everybody work toward one mission. And that's what we're missing from college athletics. But we're getting closer, I think to that point. So we will see I think in the future more power conference versus power conference games. I think on the Olympics sports schedule, we'll see more regional scheduling, geography at play, some rearranging of those things. But you know what it will take for schools and conferences to play more of these big games, Dan, and that is the College Football Playoff further expanding to give you the option to have more losses and still make the playoff.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. As always, Thank you Ross Ross Dellinger, who's sports National college football reporter.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you got Alabama and Wisconsin, and okay, I'm excited about it. I would have been excited in I don't know previous years when Wisconsin was really good, but it is Alabama and Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: You just don't have enough.
Speaker 3: It feels like there should be a marquee matchup at noon, one at three, and then one at seven thirty or eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: But to be able to orchestrate.
Speaker 3: That and say, hey, look at this schedule, because now you kind of go who's playing this weekend, You're already going to know that that matchup's going to happen. It's going to be one of those where you go, oh, circle that calendar date. You don't have that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Paulin Tennessee is hosting zero to two Kent State on the SEC network at eight o'clock prime time.
Speaker 2: Who's tuning into that?
Speaker 5: There's a chance it could be decent at best.
Speaker 2: Final hour.
Speaker 3: On the way, Ross Tucker will stop by, why are quarterbacks not throwing more touchdown passes? Certainly in week one the numbers are down. It's alarming. Ross will join us more of your phone calls as well. On this Thursday, Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paula, Yours Truly Dan Patrick Show