Speaker 1: On a three point win. Let's start with the negative. Obviously, there's a lot of focus on the Kibbots. That usual why it's not.
Speaker 2: A terrible player, But over kind, what was your.
Speaker 1: Assessment about overall?
Speaker 3: The offensive line didn't play good enough as a whole. Mckivots and Burford, Jake, Banks and Trent everybody could have played a lot better. So as a hole we need to play better. Obviously we did enough thing as well to have some production on offense, but it's not to the standard that the guys want to play to, and we play against a good front on the road and the game got the way he got. But it's still our guys. We have to play. We have to play a higher level and play better. And first game of the year, you don't until you get out there how you're going to be. So we obviously have to play a little bit more consistently is the key. There were some really good snaps, there's some really good things. There's times where all of them were playing at a very high level. There's other times where each guy would take their turn and have just a little bit off, you know, some more than others. But at the end of the day, it wasn't a consistent enough performance by the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Colton, When you go out to practice for the first time on Wednesday, what are the points of emphasis for him?
Speaker 3: Same things as always. There's no change. There's no change, nothing's changed. So same reason you get beat on Sundays, the same reason you get beat on in August, the same reason you get beat in April. They're all the same things. There's no there's no oh, oh gosh, this happened. Now we'll fix this now, it's the same points of emphasis. And during the course of a game, a guy can fall back off and h and fall back into bad habits, or a guy can, uh, just in the course of a game loose sight of it. He seems to set a little bit deeper or set a little bit wider, or he's pulling back his outside hand too quickly. Whatever, there's a there's one hundred different things, but it's no different than you just look said, this is what's wrong.
Speaker 1: And it's that simple.
Speaker 3: It's it's simple, but it's not easy to do and to perform when you're in the heat of battle against a great rush or silent count all the things that went into the game, but no excuses.
Speaker 1: That's what we have to do.
Speaker 3: We'll be doing it this week, and we'll do it every week for the next seventeen hire man weeks are left, and if we get to play after that, then we'll have to do it then. So but really there's nothing like there's no oh hey cool, now we'll go out and now that will never happen again. Shoot, no, it's going to happen again. The same things that when Trent struggles with something, it's the same stuff. It's it's all the same. It's very rare that a guy stops having whatever that whatever his achilles heel is bad analogy after the Monday night game. But whatever that is, that guy definitely you have to it's going to kind of stick around for his whole career.
Speaker 1: It's hard to finally put it to bed.
Speaker 3: You're always going to have something in you that that you have to continue to address and sometimes new things crop up, though, is what.
Speaker 2: The mistakes that he made were. The easy fixes are the difficult faces.
Speaker 3: You know, they're they're all They're all the typical when a guy runs around the corner on you, there's you. There's a lot of different reasons for it. Sometimes it's because you don't sit deep enough. Sometimes it's because you lean at the point of contact. Sometimes it's because you don't use your outside hand properly. Sometimes it's because you you do something with your footwork sometimes that you reach across with your inside hand to I mean, I could go down a list of fifteen things, twenty things that that all of them could lead to a guy turning the corner and spinning at the top and getting getting the pressures that he got from that, which is how he rushed the which is what you work on, which is really hard to replicate during the week. But as the game goes on, you would hope that it would get better, and it just didn't. It didn't get We just didn't make those steps during the game that you hope to make. But a great learning experience for him and for our team, and obviously it's got to be better and we'll keep working to make it better.
Speaker 2: Aaron Donald, over the last four years, eight times or nine times, you've seen him?
Speaker 4: How many different places that you've seen him?
Speaker 3: Every spot, all five spots I've seen him. I've seen him even saw him off the ball. I think at one point in our game a couple of years ago when Mack was here. We were looking at it the other day. But I've seen him on all five spots across the line, and they just put him in a position where they think they can get him in a one on one matchup without somebody helping trying to create one on one rushes for him, and you se him everywhere everbody's gonna see him.
Speaker 1: I I think he'll.
Speaker 3: Favor our right side, and based on how we set things up too, because they they kind of know what we're trying to do to them, so when we show a certain formation, they may put him somewhere else thinking that's where the one.
Speaker 1: On one is going to be.
Speaker 4: Nineteen when Debo got here, those kind of when Kyle John shifted more receivers, and particularly as it relates to the run game, how have you seen that commitment to getting physical guys, especially on the edges in the run game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I know one thing in this offense since I was involved in twenty ten with coach Shanahan and Washington, is that receivers are required to block. Receivers are required to be physical. Receivers are required to be the guy that is a that they're not going to be say well, that's acceptable. Everybody blocks everybody. Everybody's held to Iice center, and he takes all eleven guys to run the football. And if we don't have all eleven doing it, we're not gonna be a EFFECTI running the ball. That's always been the expectation here. So the physicality and the blocking, I think those guys have done a phenomenal job as far as the physicality and running. We're drafting receivers to be receivers if they happen to be Deebo Samuel, who's a running back and receiver whatever he's called himself the wide back or something like that, but he is a tremendous at both.
Speaker 1: And we've got physical guys.
Speaker 3: Whether that's the I don't I think if you asked Kyle, I'm not sure he'd say that's the mold that we're trying to fit guys into. We're gonna go get good receivers and then whatever they can do from there, they'll do them.
Speaker 4: Setting it to guys like Debo and Juwan, you know when when other younger guys come in where they're setting it tall.
Speaker 3: Though, in terms of absolutely our guys are asked to block linebackers on a lot of plays and and uh and because of that, they're not They don't turn it down. They do a nice job. It's a challenge for him too. They've blocked defensive ends in our Toss Crack game and they take it as a challenge and they work really hard.
Speaker 1: To do it, and I'm very proud of the way they execute it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it shows the other guys that, well, if Debo's doing it, if I was doing it, if JJ is doing it, then I need to do it.
Speaker 2: So Brandall yesterday he said that what makes Donald so hard to block is that he's small, but strong and fast, so he doesn't give you a big target. You guys have had some success against him. How would you describe him? What makes him the special player that he is?
Speaker 1: In your Jake nailed it.
Speaker 3: I mean he's he's a guy that's by no means uh, you know, he's just he's hard to get your hands on, which that's the key to protection. If you can get your hands on a guy and keep mona guy. Have a guy like Alden Smith who is tall and linear and slippery, you just could never get your hands on him. Right this guy's shorter and stock, you're and hard to get your hands on. What's funny is you can put together a highlight reel of some players that you probably wouldn't know who they were blocking him at times because when you do the right things against Aaron, he is a smaller guy, but getting your hands to that spot are almost impossible, and he makes it impossible to do it. Even when you do, he has the counter moves to take it off of him. So he's just got a complete package. There's just not a lot of surface to hit, and he's so strong and sol o to the ground that once he gets an edge, once he gets something on you, you don't recover from it.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 3: It's over when it's over, and so you've got to make sure you make it not be over as long as it can be.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, guys,