Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess you Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, then iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Today is a very very very very special day. It is one of my favorite days of the year. And for the other one not their favorite days of the year.
Speaker 3: Oh, Danielle. I literally was like for a second, I was like, I like this episode a lot, right, I think it's I think it's the best or equal to the best, and so but I was like, WHOA, she's really overstating this.
Speaker 1: No, for those who are not reading between the lines, it is our dear Amy Sugarman's very very own first.
Speaker 4: Day.
Speaker 1: It is a national holiday. This is the best day of the year, a day for all to celebrate.
Speaker 3: First of all, you are so nice. You are so nice, You are so nice. But second, I don't love my birthday. And what I think is interesting is that people don't care if you don't love your birthday, right, and like you tell them like, hey, I'm not crazy about my birthday, Like I don't like a lot of hype, and either one of two things exists. They don't care or they don't believe you. Like I'm not saying it like, oh, I don't like my birthday, like but then I want people to make a fuss like I mean it from my core goal.
Speaker 1: You and I are the same person because I do not like my birthday either.
Speaker 3: The singing part is possibly the worst part for me, Like I don't it's not like it. Look, I don't need a gift. But if you want to send me a gift, mail me a gift, drop a gift at my door. It's the awkward, oh.
Speaker 1: Thank you, happy birthday. And I can't go on further than that because we'll get sued.
Speaker 3: But no, actually, happy birthday. You can sing the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's oh you should have said that, Happy birth Oh go to you, don't make you. I'll start there because I truly, I truly sympathize because I am just like you. I do not like my birthday.
Speaker 3: This time I'm a fifty one.
Speaker 1: It's not even a cool birthday.
Speaker 3: Ones work better for me, though, the zeros really they I don't like emotionally and like the zeros mess me up. But anyway, for those of you that love your birthday, we celebrate you today. We celebrate you, will sing to you, we will shower you with gifts. We will have cakes and multiple days of singing for those of you like Danielle and me. We feel you, we feel.
Speaker 1: You, yeah, and we see you. We see you, We see you over there. Although I all say I did. Last year, Amy had a very awesome night. She wouldn't say it was her birthday party.
Speaker 3: Because I had it six months after my birthday.
Speaker 1: I know, I know she had. She had like a big gathering in Lake Oho that was more and she purposely did it six months after her birthday so it wouldn't be for her birthday, but it was definitely. Everyone that went there was to celebrate.
Speaker 3: Her and terrible. It was actually terrible and I.
Speaker 1: Had to I literally had to pin her down to stay in the room for people to sing.
Speaker 3: Happy. It was so and people will send me mean Instagram messages because they'll be like, you're so selfish, like let people celebrate you. It is so uncomfortable. I had a full, full anxiety attack, but you're so loved, You're so like anxiety was so much that like I was out of body and like I will never do it again, like I did it because everyone's like, let's do a party for your fiftieth, so I'm like, fine, fine, fine, huge mistake. Those of you listening that it makes you uncomfortable. Don't do it. Don't do it. Yeah, I'll throw parties for others. I will know you a party, Danielle every year.
Speaker 1: Please, don't.
Speaker 3: You know what I decided though I would do. This is the only party that I would do. One is if I had enough money, I would do a suite at a concert. But number two the one other party that I would like that like, I could actually do run out of movie theater.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's not expensive. No one has to look at you. You don't have to talk to anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not super expensive. You can get popcorn if you can add the popcorn. My nieces did it for their birthday. They were seven and nine. But yet I was like, this is my kind of birthday. There was pizza in the lobby, everybody got to see the movie. And my niece goes, Auntie, the popcorn and the candy are free, and then she goes, actually, I think mom has to pay for it. Like same thing.
Speaker 1: You know what I like about a movie birthday party. There's a start and there's an end. You show up twenty minutes before the movie you. You leave when the movie is over. There's no there's no time for for small talk or for a happy birthday. Oh my god, what do you want to what's your wish for this year? Like it's just watch the movie, move on totally.
Speaker 3: And like there's no attention on you. I mean, what if we did a Gilmore Girls screening.
Speaker 4: That'd be amazing, that'd be so fun.
Speaker 1: Well for your birthday this year, we decided to uh to give you an actual, really really good butneads up.
Speaker 3: Bye. So this is the Nutcracker episode. Guys, this is called a Nutcracker in Paradise, and I would argue it's the best one yet or number one and two, Like do you know what I mean? Like it is it is a really good episode.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know my theory as to why. Yep, it's bun heads. It is Emily is not Fanny, Michelle is not trying to be Lourlai. It is these people in their lanes, yes, trying to pretend to be Gilmar Girls. And that's what makes it good because I'm not destructed by all the Gilmore is and wanting it to be that so badly when it's not. It is actually just bun heads, and for that reason I liked it. I liked it.
Speaker 3: I think you make a great point. It's and it's very in the bun heads like it's there's a lot of performance, there's a lot of dance. I think what helps also is it's Nutcracker, which we most of us have some familiarity with. So it's like, you know, we we know it, we know the story. We got Alan rock back is hubble.
Speaker 1: And kind of you know again, he did come back.
Speaker 3: Interesting sort of way. Look, we're gonna say it's Sutton Foster's not super annoying in it, like and.
Speaker 1: You have to give it to her. She had her Broadway moment in this episode and she nailed it. Yeah, No, they had her Broadway moment and that girl can.
Speaker 3: Sing, girl can sing? Is this the one that where she's doing like a table dance. Let's let's go through the scene. Yeah, because this is the one where I accidentally watched it two weeks ago because I thought I messed up right, So I need to just remind myself.
Speaker 1: But one thing, one thing to know before we dig into this. Our producer Emma just dropped us a little note that this was the summer finale before the show went on break and so and it returned, you know after.
Speaker 3: So this was sort of you know, they put a big heer offfort into it. Yeah, okay, so I know. So this is where it starts, where Sutton brings sorry, Michelle brings Fanny in to see her sort of modern Nutcracker dance, which I thought was pretty dang awesome. Yeah, what were they It was like they were taking Nutcracker into like corporate America and greed. Right, But I'm having a mental brain fade that I can't remember which dance it is. But oh no, it's the dance of the mice the rats.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, yes, say rats.
Speaker 3: It's corporate rats, right, So that's why they have their like suits on and there. I thought it was such a choreographed, amazing dance that I didn't mind watching such a long dance sequence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked the dancing in this episode, which you know, I love me a musical. I think when it was intertwined to Gilmore Girls in the movies, I strongly rejected it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have rejected it a little bit in this series so far, but in this episode, I wasn't mad about it. Again, it's the Nutcracker. It's bunheads like this just finally felt like it was its own thing and it was just refreshing.
Speaker 3: It's very bumheadsyat and again I've said it a million times. I'm sorry to keep saying it. The girls are great, right they are. Yeah. I actually thought it was funny the fake, not the fake, but the girl from San Francisco or whatever that the ringer. I thought she was entertaining. I thought it was over the top but entertaining, and Sasha kind of, you know, like going at.
Speaker 1: Her and all that, putting her in her place. No, there's a lot, so okay, So after we get The Modern Nutcracker, we go to lunch at the studio with Michelle and Fanny, and Fanny asked her if she would be comfortable running the studio alone for a few months because she wants to go to Montana.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I don't want to jump around. But I knew it was bad when Michelle got herself involved in this.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yeah, you know, it's one of those things that I got her intent. She was trying to like, I don't help it just didn't. I mean, you never insert yourself into other people's relationships exactly.
Speaker 3: That's never, never, never, never. I mean it was so it made me so stressed. Even though the conversation went fine, internally, I was so stressed. I was like, this is not good, This is not good. This is so not good. Oh, like, did she ruin Fanny's relationship with that guy forever?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It sure seems like that, which I hope not, because I do like Fanny with this guy, Like I think there's something fun there. But then I'm also like, is this guy kind of a tool? If he is gonna be so grossed out that Fanny wants to like actually spend time.
Speaker 3: Well, you make such a good point with that that it's like if what Michelle did causes him to leave and like never come back, he's not a great dude. But I think that I would have preferred Fanny to figure that out for herself rather than Michelle fast forward the process. I don't know, And it seems that Fanny has a real understanding with this guy, And I don't know. It's just it was just so uncomfortable, but not cringy in like a way I sometimes cringe at this show. Cringy and like, I'm invested kind of the same.
Speaker 1: I like me to know what happens, but it's it's drama, you know, and we needed that, which is great.
Speaker 3: So we talked about the ringer, which I thought that was funny. And then this scene I actually really liked with the girls. Okay, so all the girls are fighting, right like, because you know, we likes Charlie and Charlie likes Ginny, and Jenny likes Charlie and the whole thing, right, and Sasha's kind of snarky about it, and Michelle comes in and sort of does her magic, which that I actually I liked that right too, right, and that's what Michelle should. She should be sort of that wise one mentor big sister to these girls the whole thing. And she wasn't over the top, and she was funny about it, and the whole thing was good. I was like, okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, no, I agree. I liked it a lot. And and again I every this entire episode. I don't really have many bones to pick with this episode. I do genuinely like it.
Speaker 3: To go or did she kiss him in the last one?
Speaker 1: She didn't know in the in the end, so so she you're talking about when Michelle makes out with it the guy, Yeah, yeah, I no, that's later, Okay, I got it. So after this scene, they go to the Oyster Bar and Michelle's throwing the fundraiser, and this was so great.
Speaker 3: When Boo goes on state.
Speaker 1: And again Michelle, Michelle she did it. She like totally helped. She helped the situation.
Speaker 3: And even though it was like kind of cringey secondhand embarrassment, it was also really cute and it wasn't cringing at it. I was cringing with it, which is like what you're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: That's so so well said. And I also loved Emily Oh my god, not Emily. Sorry guys. Fanny and Michelle like, oh go up there, Nope, since sit down, sit down, let her, you know, like they like they were just it was so good. Valuating this situation together is like.
Speaker 3: Now ten episodes in or whatever, everyone's chemistry is kind of like they've got it going on. Yeah, and they're more settled into their characters. I think what it is is we're seeing in episode ten what we completely saw in the pilot of Gilmore Girls. Do you know what I mean, the thing about Gilmore Girls is it never had to work out any kinks, and this show has been kind of working out kinks the whole way through.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. Well, then we find out a little bit more about Michael.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about Michelle just oh boy, screwing it over and Sasha.
Speaker 1: You know, Sasha's oh my god, that's the oyster bar. Sasha hiding from the ringer behind the like the buzz boys stuff. That's hilarious, hilarious.
Speaker 3: She starts flirting with the basketball player, which we get the call sort of call back to at the end with Sasha really settling into who she is and Tyler settling into who he actually is, which I thought was Okay, I'm sort of liking this deeper sort of thing here, right, there's more to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And then this is your favorite moment, abe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I like the dough. I like a dough for Michelle. I like them together. I feel the chemistry the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Their kiss was kind of hot. I was like, that must a good kill. Good job, guys. There there's a lot of chem there.
Speaker 3: Total Lee like he's cute, and it's like, look, I get why the girls liked him the young girls, but he's much more age appropriate for you know, like because there was a moment where I was like, should Boo date him? But now I'm like, now this is the way we the way we need to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree, that would be so weird if he was dating Boo.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, although I did, like I did, there was something about their relationship that I liked.
Speaker 1: And then we uh oh god, Ginny and Charlie. They finally Genny finally has the green light to like doing her a thing with Charlie to date him, and they lean in for a kiss and he just gets headbutted by her in the lip and just like bust his lip because.
Speaker 3: Again it's so it's funny, Like again, all of it. I'm liking, right, it's yeah, Anny, it's good, the whole thing, you know what I mean. So I like it all. And then in the Nutcracker.
Speaker 1: Performance, Okay, this was funny.
Speaker 3: This was so funny, and okay, look I get you know, I like it was still a little on the nose where Michelle tells what's in her bag and I get that she had to do it so that later it.
Speaker 1: Was a good callback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so I get that they had to do it.
Speaker 3: I always think it's it was a little too like up in my face and this mace, you know, and then all of a sudden, hairspray and it's the mace. But then running around like chaos backstage. I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 1: All the girls were so good, they were so good.
Speaker 3: And then the ringer goes out and kind of nails it. Everyone's at the er. I'm like, so hilarious.
Speaker 1: My favorite at the ear Michelle is just in the lot. We're trying to like find all the girls and she just can't see.
Speaker 3: Oh well. The one thing that I will say that I'm not the one part and I understand we need a drama, we need this cliffhanger. I'm not sure that the parents, I'm not sure that Fanny number one would have been so furious because it honestly was an accident.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I'm in a side with Fanny. This is what her livelihood is about. This performance like this right year is the showcase of all her work. Right this is the creme de la creme, the the what's that peace of the resistance? Like this is this is her moment for her studio yes, yes, and it just m ooped on like literally, like I would have been pissed that she was so careless to grab the mace that she knows is the mace, because she just showed me it was mace right before, and just mace the entire production.
Speaker 3: I know, I know. It was a lot, like you'd think that after a couple she could.
Speaker 1: Have figured about and if I was a parent, the optics of Michelle with having sex at the party, then.
Speaker 3: The we didn't have sex at the party, Yeah.
Speaker 1: She didn't her at her engagement party.
Speaker 4: They had so I thought you met at and everyone knew about it.
Speaker 3: I thought you met with good dough. I thought no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I was like, but she had that right like she had that she had this lady, she's a mess and then she's just amazing my kid. Oh I've been like, she's got to go get her out. No, I think the I think the I.
Speaker 3: Mean Fanny really they're all into her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have too. These are little kids, these are minors, you're not, these are not adults.
Speaker 3: I get it, But I also feel like there was a shouper strong reaction to an accident that being said, like you'd think that after one girl like I undertood, like it was just so intense, oh the whole thing, and it was. It's a very good performance of the Nutcracker, like not when it got chaotic, but like that they were actually doing the Nutcracker. Yeah in this show, Like these dancers knew the Nutcracker.
Speaker 1: Oh they were so good.
Speaker 3: You were doing all the performances and the rehearsals and the auditions, and that one couple doing all the different I mean that was the ballet in.
Speaker 1: This is like amazing, And yeah, I had to give some snaps to the ring or whatever your real name is, like, wow, you you were unbelievable to do all those dance moves and deliver your lines.
Speaker 3: What yeah are you? So?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: What's interesting is like this is the finale, right, you can definitely feel it. It's a huge episode. I'm surprised it's not two seasons of fun heead. It's almost like it's a one A and a one B, right, Like I think the season one is eighteen episodes. What's crazy is it's August right now and the show's not coming back again until January.
Speaker 1: I feel like that. I feel like that season one A and one B, like for example, Emily in Paris, the season in where right Now is split into two right, yeah, that wasn't a thing until.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was a day that's then. But I think they maybe were like ABC Family might have like started this trend, like look, I'm making this up, but with some facts, right that they probably shot eighteen episodes, and this is what I kind of remember when I was watching it, because it seemed like it finally got good, and I think the back eight or whatever are really really good episodes. And that's why everyone was like shocked when the show got canceled, because I think it continues to like get better and better. But like imagine, like it's August and this cliffhanger happens and it doesn't come back till January, but it's still the same season. It's almost like ending in May but and then coming back in September. It's kind of the same sort of git yeah.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if the reasoning for that is, you know, usually Fall is a heavy slate of shows, right, Like usually that's like Fall a sweeps, you know, so maybe they had to make it way and room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like ABC Family probably brought back, you know whatever. All their other shows were at the time. I remember the one with Vanessa Laura Morano, like the one separated at Bird. Yes, they had like teenage or pregnant show whatever that was, you know that starred Shalane Woodley. Oh. Yes, they had all those like big shows. I think they had a Greek show called Greek all kind of around this time. They had a lot of shows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then we get sort of that.
Speaker 3: This was a little weird for me.
Speaker 1: The dream was a little weird, but I'm happy we got Hubble back because yes, and since the first episode, I'm like, are we just all gonna get about Hubble? Like that just didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Right, the one thing with Digger when she sort of broke down, but otherwise they kind of forget about him. Yeah, maybe Fannies had a few mentions, but it's like, really weird. So the dream sequence wasn't my favorite, but I also thought it was interesting, right.
Speaker 1: I agree. And this was her Broadway moment. This is where she had.
Speaker 3: Her full This is where she's dancing on the table and it's like a full dance and song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she just she crushed it. You know, that's where you really see where Suttin shines, and it's in that Broadway theater setting, and she she crushed it, you know, like we can't take that away from her. But I did think it was interesting that we saw Hubble and this as well. I wasn't expecting that, but seeing him again, I was. I was happy. I was happy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think my problem is I didn't love the song yeah that she was singing, so I was like, h like, I know that song from the Newutcracker, and I know the dance from The Nutcracker, So to see that take on it, I was much more into it. And then to see those that cup that young, those young kids that kept doing the different dances from so for me, I was just like, I'm not into this, but I sort of like it anyway. Then we go back to the er and the parents are so mad, and then we get from Dead Poets Society, Oh Captain my cap right, which was again awkward awkward. It was. It was awkward, right, but it was also really really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there was a moment, you know, I was expecting the parents to see that though, and be like, oh, maybe she's not as bad as we thought she was.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know love her, right, they know they love.
Speaker 3: Her, they need her, they're learning from her about ballet but also like life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also understand.
Speaker 3: That the parents are like she cray right, like, let's get.
Speaker 1: Get her out of here, right.
Speaker 3: So you know, and then it's kind of like she walks out right and then kind of like we fade the black right. It's like it's very dramatic sort of you're.
Speaker 1: Like, what, yeah, I'm here for it though, this this, this this got me. You know, like I said in the last episode that if I was a normal watcher, I wouldn't have gotten to this episode.
Speaker 3: I know. And what's interesting is because if I remember correctly the back eight, so that we've had ten episodes, right, there's back eight that come in January, and they were really.
Speaker 1: And maybe it was a little too late. Maybe everyone was basing it off of episodes one through ten, which you can't. That would be like basing Gilmore Girls off season seven, right.
Speaker 3: No, you right, then maybe they based the like pick up for season two. I mean, I think it was probably on the fence. I remember being super bummed that there was no season two because I wasn't gonna know what happens to these people. So I and if I I, I think we're going to be pretty impressed by the next set of episodes if I remember correctly. But I mean, I thought this was an amazing episode. Here's what I'll say. I thought this was an amazing episode of Bunheads and a pretty dang good episode of Gilmore Girls, do you know what I mean? Like, like if this was compared to Gilmore Girls, like if it was all in the same universe and this was an episode of Gilmore Girls, it was pretty good. Like it's not as good as you know, the top top episodes of Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: It would have fit in in season four or five, like it would have fit in there to like.
Speaker 3: Some good, good episodes of Gilmer Girls. It's that good in my.
Speaker 1: Mid Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: And I actually think in the movies, like I know what they were doing with Sutton Foster in the movies, right and doing that musical, had it been a little bit more like this, I think I would have liked it. I think that that weird musical was just too far out there for me. Yeah, if they were like in the town we're doing it, like say it was in winter and it was a performance of Nutcracker, right, and then you got some of these quirky characters. I think I would have liked it. It was just that that musical was over my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't the History of Stars Hollow or something.
Speaker 3: I mean, I should have tried to enjoy it, but it was so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did not. I was right there with you.
Speaker 3: The movies throw me with the musical part and the walk about or whatever when she's doing wild both those I'm like, I like that. Oh oh those were those were my two sort of No, keep stay in Stars Hollow. Be Gilmore Girls, Let's not be going so far off anyway. Do we rate these? I don't remember. Do we rate these or No?
Speaker 1: I think we do, but I'm trying to figure out what I would read it.
Speaker 3: Well, if I'm on a scale of bun heads, it's a nine.
Speaker 1: But and what's your what's your measuring stick?
Speaker 3: Do we even do that? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I feel like we have.
Speaker 3: So if I'm on a scale of bunheads, it's a nine, right, you know, like as bunheads. Yeah, But if I'm comparing it to Gilmour Girls, it's like.
Speaker 1: A six, right, Oh yeah, I was gonna say seven point five.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That being said, I really really like it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited for the next episode and that we don't have to wait months to see it. We'll come at you next Friday.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'm wondering, Danielle. I have an idea, Okay, I think that we should take a week off of Bunheads and watch Lauren's new show on TB. Okay, so I think because this is the finale, we take a minute and we will be watching so her show premiere. So if you're listening to this on Saturday Live, her show premiere is on the six on two B, So next Saturday you'll hear us talk about that and then we'll get back into Bunheads. But I think that we should like also take a break and watch an episode of her new show, The Z Suite.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. I'm always game for anything, learned Graham, So Simon, let's try it.
Speaker 3: Then we'll come back to Bunheads. We still got Mazel, We've got a lot and by the time we finish, masil Amy Sherman Palladino's new show will be on. So like, unless we get canceled, ourselves here for a.
Speaker 1: While, all right. Everybody will take us a long time.
Speaker 3: Mazel has a lot of episodes. Canna take us a long time to get through. Masiel too.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to watch that. I've heard great things.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, talk to you all later.
Speaker 1: Bunheads out.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.