Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central. It's America's only source for news.
Speaker 3: It's The Daily Tube with your host Jordan Clipper and Roddie Jay.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Daily Trub Jordan Clipper and I'm Roy Shang. We got so much to talk about tonight. College campuses are protesting Donald Trump's enemies are surrendering, and the Supreme Court wonders if the President can kill you for fun.
Speaker 5: But first, Donald Trump is still on trial, so let's catch up with another installment of America's most tremendously wanted.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is a scam.
Speaker 5: Today it was a big day for Donald Trump versus Johnny Law, with the former president fighting the man at every level of the legal system.
Speaker 4: But things actually started off for you. Good for Trump. After months of calling him unfit for office, Trump's former Attorney General Bill bas said he's voting for him anyway, and Trump responded with as much grace as you would expect.
Speaker 6: So the former president posting a truth social things quote, Wow, former Attorney General Bill Barr has just endorsed me for president, despite the fact that I called him weak, slow moving lethargic, gutless, and lazy.
Speaker 7: Based on the fact that I.
Speaker 6: Greatly appreciate his wholehearted endorsement, I am removing the word lethargic from my statement.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Bill.
Speaker 8: Donald Holm. Donald Trump is the king of pettiness.
Speaker 5: I am positive at an alt universe, Trump was a sorority president, just dripping with Shane, like, Wow, Bell, I love that bikini.
Speaker 8: You're so brave to be wearing that. You go girl.
Speaker 4: I mean, it does look like Trump hates Trump ask kisses as much as the rest of us do, because he'll be like, kiss the ring, and then when they do, he's like, I can't believe you kiss the ring, you little bitch.
Speaker 5: So Trump was riding that sick burn high this morning, all the way into court, where he was confronted with testimony from the head of the National Enquirer, who wasn't afraid to spill some tea.
Speaker 9: Publisher David Pecker returned to the witness stand this morning and explained how we engineered a deal to buy the silence of Karen McDougall, a playboy model who claims she had an affair with Trump. Pecker claims he had a deal with Trump and his attorney, Michael Cullen, to be on the lookout for damaging stories about Trump.
Speaker 10: He would buy stories that were unflattering to Trump, and then he would kill them to make sure they didn't become public.
Speaker 8: Was today bad day for Donald Trump?
Speaker 11: He look I can't read his mind, but he looked pretty miserable.
Speaker 5: Oh really, he looked miserable. He's not one of those jovial criminal defendants coming to cart with a smile on his face and a sprig at a step as he stares down a future full of prison gangs, public pooping, and shoddy heroin balloon's migrating up his colon Cocker.
Speaker 4: But yes, David Pecker pun intended, testified that he brought up and buried negative stories about Donald Trump to help him win the twenty sixteen election, Which sounds crazy, but you gotta remember this was way back in twenty sixteen when negative stories were a bad thing. Now we know that every new scandal just cancels out a different scandal until you've become president. But because this is Donald Trump, he wasn't involved in just one court case today. While he was in New York, his lawyers went in front of the Supreme Court, arguing that Trump should have complete legal immunity for anything he did while president, and I do mean complete immunity.
Speaker 12: If the president decides that his rival is a corrupt person and he orders the military or orders someone to assassinate him, is that within his official acts for which he can get immunity.
Speaker 7: It would depends on the hypothetical.
Speaker 9: But we can see that could well be an official act.
Speaker 4: I object to this guy's voice can mean someone gave m laws ins or something, but I mean sorry, sorry, you may continue. How about it?
Speaker 13: If a president orders the military to stage a coup, I think.
Speaker 4: It would to pass immune.
Speaker 10: I think it would depend on the circumstances where it was an official act.
Speaker 8: If it were an official act.
Speaker 13: If a president sells nuclear secrets to a foreign adversary, is that immune.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know him hypothetical whether or not that would be an official act.
Speaker 4: Okay, look, can we stop giving Trump ideas? Okay, yeah, he's listening to this, like, oh, we're selling nuclear secrets. I should write this down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounded like they were loose pitching Netflix action thrillers in the room, Like in order to save his nation, the president must strangle an opponent in a public deathmatch. Liam Neeson is immune from prosecution.
Speaker 8: Now, very good.
Speaker 1: That's very good.
Speaker 4: Good, very good.
Speaker 5: Now, the Trump legal team doesn't really believe the total immuniony argument. They're just bringing it up to delay his trials. It's kind of like when your kid asks for water at bedtime, and you know they're just trying to delay bedtime because kids don't need water.
Speaker 4: So I'm pretty sure kids do need water.
Speaker 5: No, you're thinking of plans. The wild thing is that the Court's conservative majority seems like it's actually going to accept at least part of Trump's argument.
Speaker 6: By the end of the hearing, the conservative majority seem to express a desire to create some kind of limited immunity for official acts for presidents.
Speaker 8: So this is where we're at.
Speaker 5: The conservative justices think Trump should have immunity, the liberal justices don't.
Speaker 8: How about we meet halfway.
Speaker 5: Instead of complete immunity, presidents get a hall pass of five crimes that are totally.
Speaker 8: Okay if you have the chance.
Speaker 5: For example, mine would be bribery, insurrection, wire fraud, perjury, and Lenny Kravitz money laundred.
Speaker 8: I mean money laundred. I got my Hall passes mixed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it is kind of crazy. The Supreme Court might actually make the president immune from the law. I mean, isn't this America's whole thing is no kings. I mean, that's why those people threw the tea in the river. I mean, what a waste they could have kept all that tea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my main concern as well, Ronnie. With all this, there is still a presidential race going up. So this morning, Donald Trump made a campaign stop on his way into court, and Fox News was there to drink it up.
Speaker 14: Breaking this morning, former President Donald Trump making a surprise campaign stop in the last hour at a construction site in Midtown.
Speaker 11: He's taking his time with everyone, talking to people, shaking hands, taking selfies.
Speaker 7: Look at him with this.
Speaker 11: Man with the hard hat taking a picture, thanking him for being there, patting his back. He grew up in New York, grew up in construction on these sites, and now he's talking to the men and women that build New.
Speaker 7: York, that build all these buildings. He knows a lot about that.
Speaker 11: He's one of them.
Speaker 5: Wow, he was clearly excited to be on a construction site. Shake a few hands, pad a few backs show them some advanced cat calling techniques, you know, the whole nine.
Speaker 4: And those construction workers appeared to really love Trump. Either that or they showed up with all their unpaid invoices. So hey, can I get your autograph on this?
Speaker 14: Ya?
Speaker 4: You initial here and here please?
Speaker 5: It's been years now for more Donald Trump's day in the courts and on the campaign trail. We go down to the New York Courthouse and Michael Costa and Michael, you were with Trump this morning at his campaign stop, right, yep, And.
Speaker 15: Once again Trump proved that he is a man of the people, blue collar workers, union guys.
Speaker 1: Donald J. Trump is one of them.
Speaker 15: Clearly, the J stands for Joe, as in Joe six pack, average Joe, or Joe lean.
Speaker 4: Because of the adultery, right right, right right, He's an everyman or a regular person. And what did Trump's lawyers argue at the Supreme Court today?
Speaker 15: Their argument is quite simple, Ronnie, Donald Trump is not a regular person.
Speaker 1: He's not some blue collar worker or a union guy. Donald J.
Speaker 15: Trump is an untouchable, godlike entity who lives above the law.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 15: Clearly, the JAY stands for judicially immune from all prosecution forever and all time.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 5: But Michael, how does he square those two? That sounds totally contradictory.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 15: Donny Trump is a guy you can imagine having a beer with. He's also the guy who can murder the guy he's having a beer with because the law doesn't apply to him. George, He's like j Low. Don't be fooled by the total immunity he's got. He's still Donnie from the block.
Speaker 1: Also, he's got a great ass.
Speaker 4: Okay, Michael, how is he at all relatable to these construction guys?
Speaker 1: Easy, Ronnie. Trump speaks the language of the common man.
Speaker 16: Ay, I'm walking here on my way to overthrow the government, and it's legal what I'm doing under the auspices of an official act, Dude, Pepperoni.
Speaker 8: So Trump is a regular guy.
Speaker 1: No better than any of us.
Speaker 8: Is totally above the law, better.
Speaker 1: Than any of us.
Speaker 15: And it's probably hard for caviares slurping elitis like yourselves to understand.
Speaker 1: But Trump is a lot like these construction workers. Think of him as having a hard.
Speaker 15: Hat that protects him from any US law, and some safety goggles that shield them from seeing any jail time, and of course a trusty pair of work boots.
Speaker 5: All right, let me guess the work boots. Let him trample the constitution?
Speaker 15: No, No, the lift they provide highlights Donald J. Trump's great ass. Right, Clearly, the J stands for juicy caboosy.
Speaker 8: Michael constant.
Speaker 7: Everyone, we'll come back.
Speaker 8: We'll talk about the latest college friend.
Speaker 7: No, I don't know, if that, I don't know, if the work well, imagine the daily Joe.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about college, the place you go to learn and to meet the love of your life until they get their tenure taken away for having sex.
Speaker 8: With a student.
Speaker 5: But in recent weeks, colleges across the country have become the site of mass protests against Israel's war in Gazam and this presents a challenge for the colleges.
Speaker 8: Loud and even.
Speaker 5: Disruptive protests are cherished tradition on campuses and college investments in Israel are a legitimate issue for students, but at the same time, there's a real element of anti Semitism among some protests, and Jewish students have the right to feel safe at their own schools. So it's a delicate balance that requires keeping a cool head and listening respectfully, and above all, the colleges should not escalate the tension.
Speaker 10: Columbia University's president asked the NYPD to break up a tent encampment.
Speaker 11: One hundred and fifty protesters arrested at NYU and in demonstration. The university says it asked the police to intervene.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, just to be clear, I said, D escalate, D escalate.
Speaker 14: Chaos on the campus of USC as pro Palestinian protesters clashed with school security and police. LA police officers and riot gear move in and there are a number of confrontations as the police force encircles the center of campus.
Speaker 5: Okay, does D escalate not mean what I think it means? On escalate, reverse, escalate, at least don't make it worse.
Speaker 11: Officers were sent in at the request of the university and under the direction of Governor Greg Abbott.
Speaker 14: Abbot posted a social media quote, the protesters belong in jail.
Speaker 8: Send in the National Guard and wake these kids up.
Speaker 7: Do these ever think of a solution besides force?
Speaker 8: I mean, when this guy's WiFi goes down, is he like get the National Guard in there?
Speaker 5: My modem By the way, that man is Senator Josh Howley. You might remember him as the man who riled up a mob on January sixth and then ran like a bitch once.
Speaker 8: They showed up.
Speaker 5: Personally, personally, I might think twice the next time I endorsed violence, but that's just me.
Speaker 4: And also, Jordan, you don't use the National God because students are camping on the quad. You use them for when aliens invade and you want to test the aliens weapon capabilities. You know, you're like, how strong are LA's sending a national God to find out?
Speaker 5: You're not going to resolve tension by adding violence. I'm spitballing here. Maybe instead of armed soldiers, why not try sending in the college improv troup. You know, a group of communication majors in bright colored shirts asking for a suggestion should clear out a crowd.
Speaker 8: In no time.
Speaker 4: No, Jordan, everybody knows that our college improv makes everything worse, okay, and as well right wing politicians showing up on campus to yell at the students house.
Speaker 14: Speaker Mike Johnson visiting the Columbia campus today.
Speaker 10: The cherished traditions of this university are being overtaken right now by radical and extreme ideologies. I am here today joining my colleagues and calling on President Shafi to resign if she cannot immediately bring order to this chaos. Go back to class and stop the nonsense. Stop wasting your parents' money.
Speaker 4: Yes, stop wasting your parents' money. Be like Mike Johnson getting the government and waste everyone's money. And by the way, Mike, if your problem is with anti Semitism, I completely agree with you that that it's completely unacceptable. But maybe stop with your coworker who believes in Jewish space lasers.
Speaker 5: I mean just say, I will say it's quite a flip flop for Republicans to be telling New York college kids to go back to their woke ideology classes.
Speaker 8: You shouldn't be intense.
Speaker 5: You should be studying essays on pornography by radical feminists Andrea to workin. Honestly, I can't think of anybody worse to give their opinions on how to protest the war in Gaza.
Speaker 8: Well, there is one guy.
Speaker 1: What's happening on America's college campuses is a rip. Antisemitic mobs have taken over and leading university.
Speaker 3: It's unconsciable.
Speaker 1: It has to be stopped.
Speaker 5: Oh, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback Benjamin, then Yahoo is there's nothing else going.
Speaker 4: On with you? I know this guy's like, the situation in US college campuses is unacceptable. Do you see how the buildings on not rubble? I am disgusted. Here's the point.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of noise and plenty of bad actors, but fundamentally what's driving these protests is anger over Israel's disproportionate use of force.
Speaker 8: So before we.
Speaker 5: Respond to the protest us with disproportionate force, maybe we should listen to what they have to say. And then we still don't agree with the students, then we can send in the.
Speaker 8: College improv troupe.
Speaker 5: When we come back, Kyle Chaka will be joining us on the show.
Speaker 1: Don't call that no.
Speaker 4: Hy Welcome back to the Daily Show. I guess to night the staff right out of the New York so whose late. This book is called Filter World, How Algorithms Flatten Culture? Please welcome Kyle Shaka.
Speaker 8: Kyle, Kyle, I like this book. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 5: I've been in grumpy asshole about culture for years now, and this book validates so many of the things I've been.
Speaker 8: Telling other people.
Speaker 5: Tell me, how am I right? How do algorithms flatten.
Speaker 17: Co how has everything gotten worse in the past second or something. I like seeing the sticky notes by the way, like this is a demonstration.
Speaker 1: Please, it's like a quiz for me.
Speaker 17: But yeah, I think we're surrounded by these machines right now, which are algorithmic recommendations, and everything from your email to your Facebook feed, to your text messages to a TikTok video, it's all sortied for you. So I think that kind of affects culture in two ways. Whereas consumers we become more passive, we're like more accustomed to just getting stuff handed to us that already agrees with our viewpoint and like our tastes. And then on the other side, the creators of culture kind of have to mold their work to fit these algorithmic platforms. So they have to figure out what works on Instagram, what works on TikTok, and then like adapt their work to that, rather than just doing what they might want to do on their own.
Speaker 5: I actually you mentioned here, which I think is a good example of it, and part of what you ruminate on is this generic coffee shop.
Speaker 8: Tell me about that.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it was this kind of coffee shop design that I started encountering just traveling around as a journalist probably around twenty fifteen twenty sixteen. And I think everyone can recognize it, especially in New York. If you've been to almost any cafe around here, there's white subway tile on the wall, there's reclaimed wood furniture, there's hanging Edison bulbs with those like exposed wires. There's succulents and little ceramic jars.
Speaker 4: Is a giant neon sign that says I love absolutely.
Speaker 17: Yeah, like avocado, toast and script or whatever. And I think the reason why you find this everywhere, like whether you're in Beijing or Berlin or Los Angeles or a bali or wherever you go, is because our tastes have kind of been homogenized by platforms like Instagram. So there's like a particular aesthetic that works for Instagram. Everyone puts it out there, and then everyone else on the platform slowly copies that. And I think that's true for a coffee shop owner, which I interviewed a bunch of for the book, but it's also true of musicians or a chef making a kind of food that looks good on Instagram, or a producer making a beat for TikTok. So I think we're all kind of getting funneled into these weird tracks.
Speaker 4: And when I visit coffee shops like that overseas all around America, I feel at home. Yeah, those places, it's familiar to it. No, it's true. But I mean the point is, like I hate social media as much as anybody. Everyone can testify to this. I hate social media, I testify. So this is this is But when we'll talk about algorithms pushing taste, I mean, just to be Devil's advocate a little bit, like we've we've had aesthetics become popular before computers existed. So how much of this is algorithms and how much of it is just humans kind of having this like the meta game of human art. Yeah, it's kind of finding a balance to what everyone kind of likes.
Speaker 17: We're always chasing each other, right, Like culture is a process of copying stuff and finding a style that works in the mainstream. But I think now we're just really in these funnels that are directing us in like a bigger and faster way toward each other. Like we're all being shoved into these set tracks much more.
Speaker 4: Than we were. I guess I'm saying how much of this is algorithm's fault and how much of this is we are just humans are this is humans are bad. I think it's like humans are bad and dumb, and we have that taste, and eventually the machines they copy us.
Speaker 17: I think it's the humans had bad habits like we are. We want to be passive, we want to be lazy, We don't want to get too far out of our comfort zones, and these algorithmic platforms make it so easy to not do that, Like we don't have to go we don't have to see things we don't like, we don't have to listen to music that's unusual for us. So I think it like enables those innate tendency and that makes us more boring, like makes us more boring consumers. It makes culture kind of more generic overall. And I worry that we like can't get out of that laziness, Like we can't get out of that habit that we're in because of the platforms.
Speaker 5: I think a lot about like, our taste is part of how we define who we are, how we interact with the world right, And I think for me, the stuff that I have grown to fall in love with you find it before the Internet.
Speaker 8: I'm that old, but like.
Speaker 5: I fell in love like the cool high school friend who recommends you liquid swords and you have a long commute to school, and so you play it and you sit with it and it becomes interesting and part of your identity.
Speaker 8: You find it like sort of you have.
Speaker 5: To meet a moment with a part of taste to find it in for it to actually stick to you. And what I worry about with algorithms like are we are we executing serendipity?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 17: I think so in a way, because everything is pre sorted to appeal to us, Like you are not seeing something that's totally outside of your family of reraf. So in that case, when your friend in high school recommends an album to you, there's this like passion to that, there's like a creativity to that. They really enjoy it, so they want to give it to you, and you're more likely to sit with it and give it some patience and try to understand what they meant by giving it to you, Whereas when an algorithm ofcfeed gives you something, there's no feeling there, Like there's no creativity, there's no enjoyment. Of that piece of culture. It's just that enough data suggested to a sorting machine that you would like this bit of stuff. I'm like, that is kind of depressing to me as someone who enjoys like art and your.
Speaker 1: Data likes this. Have more?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, stup, stop at the bestrow line, look at the beestrow lines.
Speaker 4: So you guys, you guys are both Brooklyn. Okay, you want some human to come and tell you what's good, But like, what about what about the situations when we go on Instagram or in social media whatever, and then they recommend the something to buy, like a piece of clothing or that's not going to what I buy but like, h yeah, I was running my head through all the stuff, like I said on TV, but the recommend something and you go, actually like this, I actually do, like I hate that minute. But the algorithm got me. Yeah, my wife, my algorithm, The algorithm got me. I bought this thing, you know whatether's chewing gum that comes from a tree in grease or whatever. It was like, but and I actually enjoy it. So like, you know, we were arguing against algorithms here, but how much of this is you know, beneficial?
Speaker 8: Not everybody has a cool high school friend.
Speaker 5: Most people have a shitty one that maybe should be replaced by Yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 17: I feel like sometimes the algorithms judge us too well, like they know exactly what we're going to look at, they know what niche products we're going to want to buy, like the resin gum or like weird natural.
Speaker 4: Are you going up too?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? You know.
Speaker 17: We all have those things that are like, oh you, the algorithm says that I must like this, therefore I like it, and so I think it just like guides us towards this, and we feel an anxiety from being perceived too well.
Speaker 4: In a way, it's like.
Speaker 17: Oh no, the machine knows me, and I think that inspires bad feelings as well. Like in the book I write about algorithmic anxiety, which was this academic term for basically the lack of power and agency you have in relation to the algorithm.
Speaker 1: You don't know how it works.
Speaker 17: You don't know why you're getting recommended resin gum from Greece. You just know that it's like you have been evaluated and this is directed at you.
Speaker 4: But now I know, But now I know that we actually might be friends because you both get the same for the Greek gum thing. Yeah, you don't know what? Yeah what the cool kids weird?
Speaker 8: That's what I want to know.
Speaker 5: So they say, if politics is downstream from culture and we all are moving into this flattened culture, what does this mean from thirty thousand foot view to what it does to our politics?
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think it affects everything, like it affects culture. It affects geography, cities, also politics. And in culture, algorithms kind of funnel everyone toward a generic average where there's just this like style that works for everyone. But I think it's slightly different in politics, like it's sorting people into these very extreme groups that are very far from each other. So like in the US, maybe there's two big buckets, like you're either a Democrat or a Republican, and there's one way to be those things. There's no internal diversity. It's hard to have different opinions at the same time. It's just like you've been sorted into this bucket or this bucket, and then you've experience a lot of pressure to stay in there.
Speaker 4: So how come algorithms are flattening the culture when it's bad for us? Meaning everyone is seeing the same thing. But when it comes to politics, and maybe it would be better if we could ruin the same direction. It's making us more divine algorithm doing the worst possible things.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, it's totally true. It's like opposing forces in a way. I mean, I think culture is like a thing that many people experience collectively, Like it's a thing that we can all enjoy it together in a way.
Speaker 4: Sometimes.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and in like a Taylor Swift context, everyone can like Taylor Swift if there's.
Speaker 4: All we do, and we do.
Speaker 17: We do to be clear, Yes, so if we could find the tailor Swift for politics, that would be amazing. But I think something I think I think it's Swift. There we go, Okay, we've figured it out. The algorithmic solutions of politics is Taylor Swift. But yeah, I mean maybe it's just that there can be no one solution to such opposing viewpoints.
Speaker 4: Even computers can figure it out.
Speaker 17: Until we have the president. That is the algorithm. Unfortunately, how old is that algorithm? Yes, well, none of them are that old. This has only been a decade.
Speaker 4: You you know what.
Speaker 5: It sounds like a decent option that a lot of people could get behind. Filter world is available now Kyle Jacob, We're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 11: But.
Speaker 3: Hey, thatss over of the night.
Speaker 8: That is eleven of them. We're trying to find out who is behind.
Speaker 12: This because it's eerily you know, they all have.
Speaker 8: The same tent.
Speaker 6: Why do they have all of them the same green tents, the colorfulness of them, and they all match.
Speaker 13: Guarantee Mommy and Daddy bought it for them or some dark money organizations, because they all seem to match, don't they.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 14: This has been a Comedy Central podcast now