Speaker 1: Thanks, Welcome to Danielle with the Stars. I am Danielle Fischl, a TV director, a podcaster forever Topanga, and a mom of two. Currently, though I am becoming a ballroom dancer, one painful step at a time. You can see me on the new season of Dancing with the Stars, airing every Tuesday on ABC and Disney Plus, and throughout the entire process, I am recording this podcast chronicling the journey, giving you the inside story of just one celebrities quest for the Mirror Ball Trophy. And this week I am lucky to be chatting with one of the many professionals who helped revolutionize the art form, helping an old fashioned style of dance somehow become one of pop culture's most relevant TV shows. She's not only a two time Mirror Ball champion, winning first with Adam Ripon in twenty eighteen for season twenty six, and then again just last year with Joey Gratzia Day, She's also an Emmy nominee, alongside her husband, fellow Dancing with the Stars pro val Schermakovsky, in the field of Outstanding Choreography for Variety or Reality Programming. In short, she is the real deal. If during this interview I can have even a small amount of her talent rub off on me, I will be better for it. My guest this week on Danielle with the Stars is Jenna Johnson.
Speaker 2: Wow that intro I'm not deserving. Oh that was incredible. Say you're like Sheermakovsky? Do I say that right? How do you say? Schmerkovski? Sure, schmir Schumer. That's get That's what gets people. Schmerkovski, Schmurkovski. Yeah, it's Amerkovsky. Okay. I went from a Johnson to a Schmerkovsky real quick.
Speaker 1: You know that must have been a hard adjustment. Yeah it was, but so okay, good. I like to hear that. So I want everyone to know that we are talking just a few days before the season thirty four premiere. Yes, and even if I tried, I would I would never be able to explain the amount of excitement that is bouncing around my entire body.
Speaker 2: This will mark.
Speaker 1: Your ninth season on Dancing with the Stars. Are you jaded at this point or do you still feel.
Speaker 2: The excitement of the unknown? Oh? Man, I still get butterflies every single time, especially before the premiere, because you have to realize that technically it's only like three and a half months out of the year, and we wait that nine months to be back on air, and I think it's all of the pro's dream project or job. Yeah, so there is nothing like that first show, especially and you're with somebody new, like, yeah, you're seeing how they react live the first time. It's all a new experience. So I definitely have that excitement still. It never never gets old.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good to hear. Yes, you started as a member of the Troop. Yeah, how did you find yourself on the show's radar as a dancer to begin with?
Speaker 2: So, I was on a show called So you Think you Can Dance? Uh huh, And we actually filmed at CBS across the hall, and so I think I was just scouted out from there, like the producers had seen my journey. Yeah I coached you. Yeah, I represented ballroom on that show, and it was a really smooth transition. I'm so grateful and so lucky because I know that that doesn't happen a lot of the time. But that's initially how I was found, and then yeah, I joined the Troope. I was on the Troop for I think like seven seasons. But at the time we were doing two seasons a year. Oh right, I think it was like three and a half years I was on the troop and then I got myself a partner and here we are. That is so incredible. When you're on the troop, is.
Speaker 1: It difficult watching and seeing the pros competing?
Speaker 2: Are you critiquing everything? Wishing you could jump in? You know? It's so interesting And I'm actually I feel like I'm in this full circle moment right now because my niece actually is joining the Troop first time. Yes, and it's been so fun to like see her get introduced to this troop experience. And I think at the time I was like, when I joined the show, I was so desperate to be a pro. I wanted that shot. But looking back, at the time I joined the show, we had Derek still as a pro, Mark was a pro, Karna, Peter Wow, Cheryl Kim Johnson like they were still competing Max. So it was like the og crew. So I and they would all like either ask me to help prep a routine with them or I would be in their dances. And so I saw how they orchestrated their rehearsal Ah, and I feel like it was the best research that I could have ever done. I got to learn from the pros themselves how to do this and who was successful with it, who wasn't necessarily, So I'm so grateful for my time on Troop. I think it really helped me become the teacher that I am, the partner that I am, And so I'm I'm excited for my niece to have this similar experience and I'm just like, absorb everything, learn from everyone.
Speaker 1: I got to meet the Troop yesterday. They were actually were Oh my gosh, there is just the cutest, sweetest. As a matter of fact, Pasha pulled the Troop in to watch us dance because, as you mentioned, the pros have no idea what people are going to do when they get out in front of a crowd. You're just doing your dance, you know, for two people, you and the dance are the entire week. So he brought Troop in and told them to be vocal.
Speaker 2: You had a little audience.
Speaker 1: I had a little audience, and let me tell you, baby, I came alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was great. I was so excited. I was great because usually it does the reverse and people panic and everything goes out the window. So that's great. It was really great. So she helped me yesterday.
Speaker 1: I also, I think they were very excited because I met them and then immediately I had just that morning. I didn't even know I was going to meet Troop yesterday, and that morning I thought, I want to do Troop on the Stoop.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that on TikTok no Coop on a Stoop? No, it's a dad.
Speaker 1: It was a son named Cooper, and every morning he takes his son out and he talks about whether the stoop, the little curb is dry or if it's wet. Sometimes he has snacks and then he like records him sitting down on the stoop.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we're going to do Troop on a Stoop. I love that. Thank you. I'm here for the series. I'm tuning in.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I also want to talk to you about the fact that you have another family member joining the show, your niece, Haley Bills. She's already a fan favorite. Is this just an absolute dream come true for you?
Speaker 2: An absolute dream come true? I yeah, it's very surreal because I think too, for so long I didn't have any family out here or in the business, and I felt so lost and confused on how to navigate. And thankfully, like the Tchmerkovsky family adopted me and took me under their wing and gave me a bunch of tools to learn how to navigate. And I know that this has been Hailey's dream for so long, and this was a really hard year for her deciding what to do with her life. She was in college last year she made the and she had another college that really wanted her to join their dance team. And she made the decision without knowing if she was going to be on the show, to go for her Yeah, move to LA and go for her dream. And if it didn't happen, that's fine, She's going to try like the auditioning, the whole La dance experience, but this was ultimately her goal. And so it was really special and I actually cannot wait to release the video. But when I got picked up as a pro, because we get picked up every year, right, we're waiting and crossing our fingers. And so Dina Katz called me and I'm like, oh, so grateful, thank you, so excited to be back. And she was like, and by the way, do you have Haley's number? And I was like immediately start sobbing. VAL's like taking a video of me. I'm soalming him. My godh gosh. And so she was like, do you want to be on the call, And so she let me call Haley and she was like, don't say anything, just be like, hey, I'm going to transfer you to Dina. And so me, Val, Haley and Dina were on this call, and Haley was like sobbing and so unexpected because again she like they didn't have her number, she hadn't heard anything from the show. So it was just like such a beautiful moment. And I cannot wait to see her shine. I think that she is She's the next star. I really do. Like she's coming from my job and I'm like, let's get it, girls, let's get it. But I can't wait to be there for her, yeah, and help like guide her through this crazy industry and all that it has to offer. But it's gonna be really special to share the stage. Like we have rehearsal coming up together, and I'm like to be in rehearsal with my niece and my husband and like my best friends, Like what is life so great?
Speaker 1: It's one of the reason one of the things I love most about directing is that I get to work with a lot of kids directing Disney Channel shows, and it feels very much like giving back to a young version of myself. And for you, it's you getting being there for Haley is going to feel like the kind of care and that you would have needed as well.
Speaker 2: It's wild because she is the exact age that I was when I joined the show. So it does feel very surreal. Yeah, so excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you make it. You make the transition from Troop to Pro for season twenty three. In twenty sixteen, with partner actor Jake T. Austin, you mentioned that Troop was like the best schooling you could ever have.
Speaker 2: But what happens you get a partner? Now? Is there like a pamphlet there? How do you know what to do? Good question? No, I was so fresh, newbie. I didn't have much experience, and I think I I was so stressed, and I could tell that like we were the young ones of the crew, you know, he was like a Disney kid. We were so so young. So I don't think I was equipped with all the knowledge that I needed to be the best partner. And I think something too that I've learned with all my ears on the show it is not about me at all, and it's hard. When you are a professional dancer and you take your craft very seriously. This is not a moment for you to show off. This is a moment for your star to shine. And so I think even like choreographically, I was highlighting myself and limiting how he looked, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Especially no offense to the male pros, of course, because they're often doing spectacular things themselves, but like, as a female dancer, it's so often about you showing off.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're supposed to highlight us, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's the technical job of the male is to be the frame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think I had That was a great first season for me. But then I had to learn, Okay, I need to maybe not hold back, but I need to be more strategic with my choreography. I need to highlight my partner, make sure that they look the best, and I will compliment.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, so I mean being just thrown into it's kind of the best education you could go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you placed.
Speaker 1: Thirteenth that year. You were the first couple eliminated. Were you super hard on yourself?
Speaker 2: And what did you do.
Speaker 1: The next year to make sure you didn't repeat that same mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was hard. It was a learning experience, but there was I'm all about timing and there's always a meaning to everything. So I was eliminated. First, I was super down because I felt like I had of like defeated my role that I had just been promoted to. But that season, there was an incredible celebrity on the show named James Hinchcliffe. Yeah, and his partner Sharna actually got injured. She got really really injured. And so for a couple weeks, I think it was like two weeks, I was rehearsing with him and I actually got to perform with him, and we did this piece, this like suicide squad dance, this Fox Shaw and it just like blew up. I felt like I had more understanding. I also had like Sharna's guidance in the room and how to handle myself. But it like blew up the dance, and I felt like it gave me the confidence that I needed to be right, Okay, I've got this, right, I just need a bit more understanding, but like I've got this. So that was an incredible experience. For me to have that same season, yes, and then yeah, the next season, I was given this just like Diamonds of Adam Ribon, and I felt like I had the confidence and like, okay, the challenge. I accepted the challenge. I was ready.
Speaker 1: It's so great how quickly you were able, Like truly, just within weeks you were like, I've already learned a lesson. Oh and I'm going to put it into play just weeks later. Thankfully you didn't have to wait the entire season, you know. Wow, Okay, so yes, you get for athletes season, you get Adam Rippon. When did you realize, oh, hey, I think we have a chance of winning this thing?
Speaker 2: You know. It's funny, Well, I knew that he was talented, like obviously he was this gorgeous skater, so he had artistry. But I think I knew that we had a shot when I understood our chemistry was so so connected. Very early on in the rehearsal space. We just got along so well. We had great banter. We loved each other. Yeah, we really loved spending time together. And that is as big as part of the process as much as this dance. The dancing is totally right like totally. You have to trust your person. Yeah, you have to feel safe and vulnerable in their arms. And so I think that, like I started to be like, oh, I think we have great chemistry. I think this can translate on the dance floor. He obviously is an Olympian. He was so hard working and I was so motivated to make this happen for him. Well you did. You did make it happen to him.
Speaker 1: Your hard work paid off because you won the whole thing, having gone from first to be eliminated, I know, to winning the mirror Ball.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite stories. It's so incredible. I actually told that to Ezra last year. You know, he was promoted to a pro from Troop and he was eliminated first last year and I was just like Ezra, I was eliminated first, and then I won the next season.
Speaker 1: So you just never know exactly exactly that whatever happens that first year is not any sort of telling of what's to come in the future. What are some of the collect attributes you think you and Adam had as a team that made you into champs.
Speaker 2: I think trust okay was huge. I think being able to like tune everything out on the dance floor and just be so present with one another was our superpower, Okay, and you will feel that, like, I'm very excited for you to have your first camera blocking because a lot of the times I'm just gonna prep you. Yeah, the first run is just an absolute mess. Okay, it is, and it's fine. You get three gos usually, Yeah, the first one is a disaster. There's things happening, there's cameras out, the lights. You're just like new space. And then Pasha's gonna grab your hands and like, yeah, call me down me just just focus on me, nothing else, no other distractions, and then you'll like find your footing. And so Adam and I had that like great connection where we just found each other into everything out. So I think that was great. I think that our chemistry, we just we had so much fun. We laughed. I think a majority of our rehearsals like we got work done, but it was so much fun good And I think that was also the first time that I was like, oh, I can enjoy this while we work hard. And I think not losing that joy also sparks creativity, inspiration, you know, moments magic. But also he is a huge reason why we won. He is such a hard worker. He was determined to become a ballroom dancer. I think people love that journey of like I'm entering this so I can learn how to be a ballroom dancer. Like no ego involved. He was down to take criticism, critiques from the judges, and then he was just hysterical live Like his banter with the host was so funny, so funny.
Speaker 1: That goes such a long way with forming a connection with the audience too.
Speaker 2: Personality. I wanted to talk.
Speaker 1: About season twenty nine with Catfish's Neve Schulman. You place second so close down to the finale? Would you rather just come in eighth?
Speaker 2: Like? Is there any I feel like I would have a heart attack. I'm telling you, Second is torture is the worst. It's torture. I mean, it's such an accomplishment, but you like sitting there the mirror balls in between two couples and you're just like so close, and then they don't even like announce your name, right, You're just like the winners, you know, and you're just like so happy for the other couple, but just dying inside. I'm so like crumbling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, well then you have another second place for a legendary season with Jojo Seewak. You were the first same sex coupling in the show's history. Yeah, what adjustments do you have to make when prepping for that?
Speaker 2: So many? Yeah, because again, this was the first time that the show is it, and so I didn't have any reference point, and they were so awesome about being like, you really can just figure this out right, whatever you make the blueprint, Yeah, kind of, And I wanted to respect the rules of Ballroom and the technique and the framework and everything, but I think they also were pushing me to get creative with it. I think something that was really important for me going into it is I as a dancer, As a performer, I am very feminine when I dance, and I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose my identity but still make this partnership work. And it was really interesting because even Jojo, she was like, no, I want to look like a girl too, Like I want to be feminine and sexy, but like I'll do the guye part right, which was so interesting. So it was fun to like make this new version of ballroom okay and to really have that like female empowerment on the floor. I thought, was so so much fun. That's so great. So oh gosh, it seems so confusing.
Speaker 1: So she was playing the male dancer ballroom part, which you had to teach her how to do, but she also wanted to do it with a feminine.
Speaker 2: She wanted all of her styling like the female. Okay, so the fingers, the arms, like the hips to everything. She still wanted to represent that, but she was definitely down to do the male steps okay, and you have to teach all of it because you have to. Like, yeah, she I mean she was, I mean, she's incredible. Of course, she was just and she was so open to the process. She loved every I think she cried for like the last week every day because she was so sad it was ending. No, you're like devastated. But it was such a magical experience. And I think too, I felt so connected to her, just like two women in the room, you know, you understand each other's emotions.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're like you're all close thing, you're both on your periods together.
Speaker 2: You're just like yeah. So it was it was a really magic season, and I felt like she became my little sister, which was so fun.
Speaker 1: At what point in the show were you told that you were going to have Jojo as your partner? Like, were you because it feels like almost the way it was for this season, I did not know who my partner was until literally the day I met him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it feels like for.
Speaker 1: You to meet Jojo, that feels like they should have given you a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of lead time. They they did tell me that I would be dancing with a girl, okay, but you didn't know who. Yeah, they kind of gave me a heads up that it would be this person, okay, But they honestly kind of posed it as like, would you be willing to dance with a girl? Okay? And I was like yes, yeah. So I don't know if she knew that we were going to be partners, but I think they wanted to like respect this new thing and give me the opportunity to say no, okay, And I am forever grateful that I said yes. So great, good for you.
Speaker 1: And so with Neive and Jojo, they both had dance experience. Yes, And I talked a little to Pasha about this as well. But where do you fall on the celebrities who come into Dancing with the Stars should or should not have prior dance experience.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting because Nive didn't have dance experience. He was just a megafan of dance. Okay, so his father they would go to like ballets, and I think he had like dabbled in it, but he had never really been trained in it. He just loved the art form of dance, got it, and so I don't think anybody expected him to become the dancer that he did, and it was just such a beautiful story. And then Jojo obviously she was a dancer, not a ballarm dancer. Again, she's learning a male part, so there were challenges. I think every partner is going to have their challenges, yeah, if they have experience or not, like you saw I've had even with Jojo, when you're like, yes, they have dance experience, but is that going to be relatable? Right? Are people going to fall in love with the journey or is it going to be like, well, she already has experience, but you know, so it's also like connecting on finding that that growth and your partner's chemistry. So it's hard. I think there are a lot of people that have dance experience on our season currently right now, yes, but every it's all about the journey. I think as long as there is an arc, you can still make it entertaining and exciting. Absolutely, But I do think, I do think it is so beautiful to see somebody with no dance experience evolve into a dancer. Yeah, yeah, I bet, I bet that, even if it's not your partner, just watching someone come in with like zero and then seeing where they are by the end. It was my partner last season, Joey no dance experience, and to like, I just got to thinking about it, but like, watching his evolution and watching him fall in love with my favorite art form was so incredible to see he is. Can we talk about him for a second? Please?
Speaker 1: What a gem I know of a man. So I have now had the opportunity. It just so happened that he was in New York. He was there for the us O base. He was the same time we.
Speaker 2: Were for Good Morning America.
Speaker 1: We ran into each other in the Delta sky Lounge, so I got to meet him there for the first time, and I thought, what a lovely man this guy is. And then we saw each other at the Hulu end of Summer Soire and I got to hang out with him and his fiance Lovely people. Yeah, just incredible. And I was like, what do you have to teach men? What can I learn from you, sir? And he's like he's like, I don't know, I'm just naturally this wonderful.
Speaker 2: Now. He is such a special, special human. Something that I think makes Joey magic is he just really has no ego. Yeah, none, no, and he's just like he kind of stands like this, he's like doesn't want to be in the way or like front and center. But then this performer like unleashed when we were on the dance floor and everyone was like wait what and it was just it was it was so great and he I don't know if we ever missed a day of rehearsal. We were there all of our time frame. He was giving me all of his efforts. And I think for a little bit he had this like imposter syndrome and he spoke about that because there's like all of these celebrities and he just got off The Bachelor and he's like, what am I doing on Dancing with the Stars. But I think everybody loved how relatable he was. Yeah, he's just like awesome guy going through life. Yeah, and then winning Dancing with the Stars. I know, so gosh, I love him so much. It seems Green Kelsey are so great. Yes.
Speaker 1: If you had to suggest one dance or one routine to someone as your favorite from the show, what would you choose?
Speaker 2: I would maybe say tango. You like tango Tango? I think it's really encompassing of like ballroom, Yeah, you know, because it is in that frame. There's drama to it still, so there's still that performance element, there's footwork, there's partnering, and I just I love tango. I love dancing tango. So that would be the one that if it was like a newcomer or beginner, I'd be like, let's start with this, Okay.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised by the fandom? The show still has thirty four seasons in. I mean, it's arguably a bigger fandom now than ever before thanks to social media.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I joined. I think right after, like the show was its biggest and it's high And you know, my brother in law, Max Murkowsky was on the show at the time. He was like the guy and he would just be telling me of these crazy stories, like thirty million viewers tuning in. Yes, that's unheard of, and so I think it was for a while we were kind of like living in the past of it and just getting Ye, there was still interest, but last season there was a drastic shift and you can feel it. It is palpable even going on the Dancing with the Stars tour this last year after the season, the audiences, the screams, the like lining up the buses, it was just I think it's also a different age group that's now interesting in the show, the younger, not just moms and grandmash which we love and they're still here. Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with moms and grandma's. Oh they want you around, We want them. They're just oh, granddaughters and daughters and it's like a full family experience and it's really it's insane. Yeah, Like we are celebrating thirty four seasons. What show can say that?
Speaker 1: I know, unbelievable, thirty four seasons, twenty years ye, twentieth anniversary this year. So you mentioned Max as your brother in law. You are married to Val himself a three time champion. You guys met on the show in an attempt to avoid asking you the same questions you've probably always asked about working with your husband. I want to ask, if you two weren't dancers, what other job would you two work well together at.
Speaker 2: I think we would find different paths. I love the honesty. No, it's obviously incredible to share a craft with the person you love most. But there are their challenges, you know. Yeah, But I would say thou would for sure be in comedy. Okay. He loves he's a performer, so he would always be in the performance field of some sort. But he's so funny and he ticks me up. He is so funny, and he like dabbled in comedy this past year on her time off, and he was actually really funny, Like he do stand up yes, And I'm telling you, you could not pay me a million dollars to go in front of a crowd right and try ouph and do jokes like no, thank you bye. I would die dead. He not only did it, but he was good. He was good and he did like I think, eight shows. Wow. So I love that about him. He has like no fear and he's just like, yeah, I'm gonna try something that terrifies me. So I think he would do that, and I would love to just like go giggle and watch his shows for me. I mean, I love performance, but I also love anatomy. So okay, yeah, I'm like obsessed with murder investigations. It's really I'm probably a psychopath, but I think I would be a forensic anthropologist, like putting together they're at the murder scene with the bones and the whole.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, I was obsessed with Forensic Files. I had seen I think every single episode of Forensic Files. And there was a period of time in my twenties before I decided I was going to go to school for psychology and become a therapist. Before I'd made that decision, which never panned out because I ended up becoming a director, but I did pursue that. But before I did, I thought about being a blood splatter expert.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. We could start a business.
Speaker 1: I will be this and when you're ready to retire, Yeah, and I am who knows what I'll be doing, I'll be like a thousand years old, but stop whatever that is. Start a business. Yeah, okay, I love this. You have a beautiful two and a half year old son, Rome. What is scheduling like for your household? Considering how busy a season Dancing with the Stars is, my husband has had to so just with one of us being on Dancing with the Stars, my husband has had to pick up so much slack and he's done it happily, he's done it willingly. The kids are doing great, but like he's had and then and then when he can't do something, our nanny has had to pick up the slack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you guys do it with both of you having the schedule? It is a lot when we are in season. Yeah, also to you know, like last minute things get added, a fitting, an interview, a master this, a creative call of zoom, all of these things. So it is hard and valin I have very different schedules, like we're we have yet to rehearse at the same time. Luckily, I have the most angelic in laws and they recently moved from New York to just be with the babies and help out. And so this season we also like went rogue and we don't have a nanny currently. Wow, but my son is in school, so he goes to school and then my in laws are just like they're here for us for the next three months and they're like anything you need, like please, and they love it like they are just a dreams. So but it is a lot, and like even last season, you know, when I was going to the finale and I'm stressed every night in this and that all got a limited I think week seven he was picking up a lot of the slack and he was being mommy and daddy for us and like putting Rome to bed, and I remember it broke my heart so bad. But I had missed putting Rome to bed a couple of times and Rome only wanted Belt to put him to bed, and I was like, what's happening here? Yes, but he is an incredible co parent and I would not be able to do this world without him. And so yeah, it's a it's a lot of communication, it's a lot of effort, but so so worth it. Yeah, And when he gets to like come on set and see what we're doing, and he understands that we dance, and I think he loves watching us dance, It's it's really fun and so rewarding and fulfilling. Does he show any promising dancer attributes? Is he athletic? Is he he is? He loves music? Okay, so I'm not sure if it's dance like you see it are giving stuff, you know, I'm not sure about the turnout. But he has incredible musicality already, like can find to be a rhythm, you know, so I'd love something in the music space.
Speaker 1: I would Oh, that'd be so wonderful. Does anything feel different about this season for you?
Speaker 2: I think every season feels different. Okay. I think it's it's exciting. It's challenging to be like, Okay, I have to forget everything that I've experienced with past partners and just focus on how does my partner learn, how does he absorb information? What are cues that I need to give him? How is he going to react live? And again we haven't we haven't premiered yet, so these are still things that, like all of us pros are having to learn. But I just love the magnitude that is happening with the show right now, So that excites me. I think seeing the response and just seeing it get bigger and bigger, that's very exciting. I think. Also, I've never been invested in my social media as much during the season as we all are currently. You know, it feels like a TikTok fest off, like who's doing the most tiktoks together. But you see the traction. Yeah, there are so many eyes on the cast and this season and the excitement. So I think that that's exciting for me too to be like, yeah, let me have fun with this show a different side of me too, Maybe show some of my process how I work, you know, how Corey and I work. So yeah, I love that. So you were paired with Corey Feldman.
Speaker 1: You guys have had a little bit of a false start because he had some misrehearsals because of prior engagements. How do you adjust with getting less time than you would ideally want in a situation like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's so funny because everyone was like, he's missing, you haven't heard from him. We were in communication the whole time. I mean, it was just, you know, he had probably or engagement engagements that he had to do, and so we both knew going into this that like we were going to miss some time and we had some catching up to do before the premiere. But I I love that first of all, he's aware of that and he comes in now to each of our rehearsals with this like not wanting to prove people wrong. But he is excited to work hard, right, And I love that that is one of the best qualities you can ask in a new partner, like they need to want to be there, yeah, and he does and he's excited and he's fully like I have no ballroom experience. I have no partnering experience. It's always been like on my own and I get to do whatever I want. It's a free for all when I perform. So I love that he's like, treat me like the biggest beginner.
Speaker 1: Right right, talk to me like I'm five, yes, yeah, and tell me everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. So yeah, it's been it's been so also just so lovely to get to know him. Yea. He is hysterical, like really funny. Good You're gonna have to use some of that humor. Oh I'm ready for Oh yeah, you're you're already thinking. You recently posted a video talking to people because people were wondering, like, why aren't you posting tiktoks together? There were all kinds of rumors, and so you posted a video talking about the fact that you knew this was gonna happen. It was an no big deal, but you were eating a pinkberry and not to.
Speaker 1: Get too serious here, but what is your go to flavor and your go to topping's easy?
Speaker 2: Okay, hazel nuts okay, and pomegranate.
Speaker 1: So pomegranate, pinkberry, and then the hazel nut topic, yes okay.
Speaker 2: Then if you door dash it, you get three scoops of the milk chocolate crunch. Oh, don't judge. I'm also it was like I was also on my cycle gettings were real. You get three scoops. Specifically you get the popping boba. And then this was a new one that I just tried pomegranate juice. Oh and they poured a little pomegranate juice on it and seeped in. It was exquisite. Well, I'm glad to hear that because the whole video you didn't take a single bite.
Speaker 1: And I I was like, please eat the pink berry.
Speaker 2: You know it's so funny. Please eat the pink berry because it looked so good. The amount of dms that said take a bite, take it, well, eat it. We were all rooting for you then. And then somebody else is getting real real She was like, don't post these fake videos because we know you don't eat this, Like it's okay to be real. I was like, girl, I devoured it.
Speaker 1: I just didn't want to talk and eat on.
Speaker 2: I'm like, like an ASMR video, I'm not gonna do that. You won't get that for free.
Speaker 1: You're not exactly save that for the Patreon or something, you know.
Speaker 2: But the amount of people that were like, take the bite.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it was just because I was like, man, even wish I had a pinkberry. Do it just then, I'll taste it because I could tell it was I could tell it was pomegranate, which is my go to as well.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. Brandon Armstrong danned me and he was like, I know, milk chocolate, a good chocolate crunch. If I've ever seen what I was like, we've got the same.
Speaker 1: More to Brandon, okay, now to me, Yes, if you could give me one piece of advice, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Oh? Just one? Just one? Okay, give me. I'm sure, Pasha, he is so great at his job and actually he's given you all the tools, all the advice. Okay. My biggest advice not every week is going to be your best dance. Yeah, and I think what you do after a rough dance is going to be your biggest superpower. That's good because it's going to be easy, you know, after you've gotten harsh critiques, low scores while other people are just soaring. If you have maybe a rough week and you sit in that and wallow in that, and that's when you're gonna get in your head and that's when your spirit's gonna decline. Your dancing is gonna decline. And it's okay to like feel that, but I think use it as a challenge, right instead of defeat. Yeah, because that's usually when you have your breakout moments, and it's always kind of like mid season and that's where things shift.
Speaker 1: Such good advice, especially because I am a perfectionist and so my biggest weakness is that I'm my own worst critic and I'm hard on myself. So if it's actually valid that it wasn't my strongest dance and I'm getting critiqued and I'm hard on myself, I can immediately ruin any future chances I have unless I get my head back in the.
Speaker 2: Game, Yes, because then you'll just be stuck here exactly, And that's that's when you can see people like lose their drive lose their heart, lose their you know that spirit. So you are such I think you are. When I saw that you were casted, I was like, you are that perfect candidate for the show, like you are Dancing with the Stars, and I am so excited to watch your journey, Like I can Readie tell it's going to it's going to be exquisite. Thank you so much, Jenna. I am so grateful you came and spent this time with me this morning. Thanks for having me. I absolutely adore you.
Speaker 1: I don't get to spend nearly nearly as much time with you as I would like, so we'll just need to change that.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, thank you so much for being here with Thank you for having me. Bye.
Speaker 1: Danielle with the Stars Produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer, editor and engineer Tara Sudbosch. Theme song by Justin Siegel. Follow us on Instagram at Danielle with Stars and vote for me