Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal ull that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith State is that? Woo woo?
Speaker 2: And Dan and Tie, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrandt, joining me as always, yet still way over there in sunny southern California amid the June gloom. His name is Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you you know? Ty?
Speaker 1: It is sunny outside right now in California, sunny as ever, but inside in this literal closet that I am still the Claw office is still where I'm recording on the news feed in front of me, I'm seeing a lot of that June gloom. Tie, Can you give me I forget who sings it? Can you tell me something good because I'm really I'm needing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it wouldn't be about college football, nor about a Corona virus, right, nor about a lot of what's going on out there in the world. We do have some news tidbits that we're going to go through, as we've been doing at the top of each and every episode, and I guess the good thing that I would say is that we're we're going to assume, for the purposes of today's concept, that there is going to be a college football season, and we got a fun game that we're going to play.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited about that. Ty. Not only do we have a fun game that we're going to play. Maybe this is just a tease, but I did something that I haven't done in literal days. I took a shower WHOA, and I do some of my best thinking during those showers, and I think I came up with a really for me interesting way to frame how we evaluate what we're going to evaluate in this game. That's a tease. Let's do how's housekeeping and news first, but you're going to want to stick around.
Speaker 2: You will want to stick around, and if you want to pay attention to everything that we are forcing out there through the airwaves and social media channels, check us out on Instagram, check us out on Twitter, on Facebook. There's also a subreddit at solidverbal dot reddit dot com, and if you missed anything along the way, going out to our website at solid verbal dot com. Sign up for our newsletter we're gonna be sending that out more. Oh, and subscribe to the show if you haven't done that already. We don't know what form this is all gonna take on, because there remains a pretty open question, which I'll get to momentarily, but please feel free to subscribe and tell your friends that they can find us on Spotify, on Apple, on Google, really anywhere you get a podcast, you can find us. We are gonna be broadcasting all throughout the four seeable future.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, that's the plan. Boo boo boo boop.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this may not be a news bullet per se, but I would just add that the news over the last seven to ten days, at least as it relates to a college football season, has definitely taken on a different feel. We have been going for a while with this mindset that we're confident there's going to be a season. We're confident there's going to be something. I think to a large extent, we still are confident there will be something, but the mood. Is it fair to say the mood has shifted from a more optimistic tone to what we've seen lately, which is certainly more pessimistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know pessimistic. I guess is sort of in the eye of the beholder, you know, on twenty four to seven Sports, which I suppose is part of this show based on the rubric we're going to work off of for the main segment. But do you know you're familiar with the crystal ball. Of course, they have the experts, you know, say okay, I'm going to giving a crystal ball for this school. Sometimes there will be a prospect, as for my understanding, where they're just they're not sure. They just they want to put something in and they're not sure, and it says cloudy. I wouldn't go as far as putting a crystal ball in for some sort of dramatic canceled situation, but I think it's squarely cloudy. Ty It is cloudy, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about this in the build up to the show as I was getting ready. But and you know, it's my favorite quote of all times from Mike Tyson, the one about everyone having a plan until they get punched in the mouth. And I think it applies here because look, we all expected that players would be testing positive and as an abstract concept, we discussed it, we accepted it to some extent. We were I guess okay with talking about it, but now that it's here, that optimism about a season happening at all has really taken that turn over the last week to ten days or so. It's just it feels different now that it's here, and that's where we're going to start with this new cycle. Twenty three Clemson players testing positive. That mayor of Clemson is saying that there's an elevated amount of virus in the wastewater, which we've come to learn is one way they can predict where it did. See that, Yeah, outbreaks and hotspots are going to occur. Next they're trying to do more down there at Clemson to control the spread of the virus. But twenty three student athletes testing positive. At LSU, we've got thirty players in quarantine. It says at least thirty of LSU's one hundred and fifteen players have been isolated because they tested positive for COVID nineteen or were found to have had contact with those who tested positive. Thankfully, no athlete or a staff member has required hospitalization. Most of the symptoms are mild, but still thirty is an awfully big number. Then at k State, as of Friday, fourteen student athletes tested positive for active COVID nineteen, following testing of more than one hundred and thirty athletes. The school said that those who have tested positive are being medically managed according to current guidelines. So how do we digest how do we react to that news? Dan, does it change how you feel about the prospects for a season in twenty twenty?
Speaker 1: Not especially. I think all of these schools came into the scenario thinking we're going to have positive tests. We need to have rules in place. We need to have procedures in place to quarantine, to isolate, to trace, and to figure out how we're going to act swiftly and safely. So you know, ed Orgron talked about this at LSU that this was an expectation. Now that those numbers are scary. I'm not going to tell you they're not scary, just because it is an indicator of just how easily something like this can spread. We just so, I don't know if you saw what happened in Croatia with Novak Djokovic, Oh my god, and the tennis players there. To be fair, there was video of all of them dancing in a club together without taking any sort of precautions. So I know there have been some time to a nightclub, I think in Baton Rouge, but I really do think that this was an expectation. The thing that's scary is we don't know what the short, medium, and long term effects are even for players who are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic. That sure, you're not hospitalized, but if you have more and more trouble breathing, it's harder to become an elite athlete at LSU clems in Kansas State, Texas wherever. So that to me is the problem where even if they're not in the ICU, if there are thirty seven players who are not feeling well enough to suit up, it's very difficult to play a major college football game.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine midway through the season something like this coming down. Let's say Alabama is in the middle of a title run and suddenly twenty of their players need to be in quarantine for two weeks, maybe the last two weeks of the year, when they've got some big action on the schedule.
Speaker 1: I don't know that any school has offered a magic number. Now, that's to me is the interesting thing. And I saw some people tweeting about, well, we were seeing all this, all this attention being given to college foall programs and what they're doing. What are schools themselves doing. I've seen some schools come, you know, out now. We've seen some scheduling changes at places like South Carolina. I know Notre Dame has been very clear about how they're going to organize things for students and campuses. But we're talking about for the majority of the time on this show, we're talking about huge, huge universities with tons of people on quads and in lecture halls. Notre Dame is a small school. What's going to happen at Washington, at Michigan, pennst at Penn State. And I'm you know, everybody knows about your time in college and just how many people you came across, sure, and just the indelible mark you left on the student population. But these are huge, huge campuses. What is the plan at these places? It's still June, but you know when you see some of the dominoes across different sports that tennis players are not coming into contact with each other, golfers are not coming into contact with each other, basketball players are not coming into contact with each other because there's just so many more football players on a field at any given time, it's hard not to be worried.
Speaker 2: While to that end, thirty UCLA players have demanded protections I read to you from the La Times. The document, reviewed by the La Times late Thursday, asserts that players do not trust UCLA to act in their best interest, particularly in regard to their health, a realm where it says the school has quote perpetually failed US citing neglected and mismanaged injury cases. The document does not provide example. So this is thirty UCLA players getting behind a document. Some of their demands are a third party health official being on hand for all football activities to see that protocols for virus prevention are being followed, that anonymous whistleblower protections are provided for athletes and staff to report violations, and that each player can make a decision about whether to come back to Westwood without fear of losing his scholarship or other retaliation.
Speaker 1: Dan. Yeah, And there was a clarification that I thought was important because the way it was worded when it came out was they don't trust Chip Kelly's program with it almost seemed like the words Chip and Kelly were in bold and underlined and italicized, when in fact it was just a way to define the program. And Dorian Thompson Robinson, the UCLA starting quarterback, came out and said, it's not about Chip specifically, it's about where the UCLA program is right now, and certainly Chip is the figurehead and he's the you know, the buck stops with him. But they were very clear that it was just a general fear and they issued that statement. It seems maybe I got this wrong. I hope I don't have it wrong. It seems that UCLA they hadn't really met with each other about the protocol and plans, and that they were planning on introducing a third party, non UCLA medical professor at the scene of testing and care. So hopefully everything is on the same page at UCLI. Because it's scary stuff. It's one hundred percent scary stuff. And I don't blame the players at all for banding together and saying this is what we want if we're going to go out there and take risks more so than usual, because we're playing games for what seems to be the sole purpose of money and entertainment. Because if it weren't a money and entertainment thing, maybe this season would be postponed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Final news tidbit here much different. Note this is breaking on Twitter per Anna Maria Trulo. We just saw this before we hit record. West Virginia football assistant defensive coordinator Vic Kaneig placed on administrative leave following allegations of insensitive comments regarding race and religion. So certainly more to come on that one, but late breaking news here right before we hit the record buttoned.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, I have not read anything yet by certainly West Virginia and vac caning a name that's been around a long long time. So I guess read up if you're listening right now, and hope hope, because it's it's one of those things. It's not as bad. The truth is not as bad because that's that's pretty ugly if true.
Speaker 2: Where shall we go next? Do you want to get to our game?
Speaker 1: I would love to get to our game? Tie? Is that the people's core music? It is we are the people and this is all. Explain this to me? What is going on here? So from nineteen eighty one to nineteen ninety three, Tie, this was the theme song. So what we're doing is a couple of weeks ago, our pal Bud Elliott now at two four seven twenty four seven Sports, came out with his twenty twenty blue Chip Ratio, And quite simply, the blue chip ratio is what percentage of your team is made up via scholarship offer, not transfer, not walk ons of four and five star players, Because, as he's found, national champions are exclusively made up of teams with the blue chip ratio of at least fifty percent. At least half of your team was a four or five star according to the twenty four to seven Composite rating. And so there are fifteen teams in twenty twenty whose rosters fall in line with at least fifty percent being a blue chip athlete coming out of high school. And what we're going to do is we're going to pair these teams, these fifteen teams in a sort of bracket style like in the NCAA tournament, the one seed plays against the sixteen seed, right, so we are going to draft pairs. So the fifteen seed in this case is Texas A and M. They are exactly at fifty percent, whereas Alabama is it at eighty three percent. So Alabama has the highest percentage of blue chip, Texas A and M at exactly fifty the lowest percentage of blue chips of these blue chip ratio teams. So we're going to go back and forth and draft pairings of these teams with the blue chip ratio of at least fifty percent, and we're going to hope for one of the teams in our pairings, we're going to hope that they win the national championship. So you have to be strategic tie because it's not just about drafting Ohio State, because perhaps a pairing of Clemson and Michigan is a better combination odds wise, or Ohio State and Washington is a better combination odds wise than say Georgia USC or Alabama, Texas A and M.
Speaker 2: Now, what I don't like about this game. What I don't like about this game is we've paired up one in fifteen and as we do the bracket thing the whole way through, we're left with Florida. Yeah, without a dance partner, Florida's the eighth seed. Now, typically typically I would give them the nine seed, right correct, I'm giving them a wild card and I'm giving them two teams. And that's and you can ask your question now, Yeah, I mean, typically Alabama would get that wild card, but we've chosen to run our own bracket pool a little bit differently here correct, And we've also named some of these pairings, and so it made more sense to stick Florida with both Florida State and Miami and refer to that trio as Florida men, correct, Florida men. So here's what we got. Here's how our pairings are are shaping up. We've got the free do you want it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Of course I wanted the whole show.
Speaker 2: We just looped Alabama and A and M the so called Francioni Farm that's correct, Georgia and USC the Jarvis Jones junction literation there, Dan, can't you say?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ohio State and Washington recent Rosie ranch more literation.
Speaker 1: Are you crazy? Why not? Why not Texas and Notre Dame?
Speaker 2: You called it eighteen wheel warehouse. I didn't like it when I heard it. I still don't, but I haven't thought of anything better. So that's what it is. HM LSU and Penn State, the Joe Brady bunch.
Speaker 1: This is the best one. Thank you, Oh Klahoma and Auburn, the Sugary Sweethearts, that's cute. Twenty seventeen Sugar Bowl. You really like talking with this under you, don't you?
Speaker 2: I do bed People's Court music, Clemson and Michigan, the Rashawn Gary round About, and finally, as we said, Florida Flora State.
Speaker 1: In Miami, that trio rounding out Florida. Mind. Yeah, So what we're gonna do is if you I mean, I'll give you the first pick. I don't really care. But if you select with the first pick the eighteen wheeler Warehouse, Texas and Notre Dame, you feel like the National Championship is going to come from that pair? You felt you feel it so strongly that you're taking that pair. You have to make the case. And then I'm going to make the case against. And I want people to weigh in listening. Not that they agree that Texas or Notre Dame is going to make the championship game or excuse me, win the national championship, but who did a better job arguing for or against? Okay, like, if you really think, ty like, look, that's a tough ask to defend Texas and Notre Dame going to the National championship game or winning the national championship. Excuse me, that's a tough ask. Well, you know what he really positioned it. Well, I'm giving him the nod. There, So a better job of this game, am I? I think you're gonna do great. I'm not going to do well at this game. Just ty, It's not isn't it. What's it called? George Costanza, you said it's not a lie. If you believe true, you need to get to that place mentally and emotionally.
Speaker 2: Tie. Okay, a lot of bs going to be coming through this microphone.
Speaker 1: I hope you're ready to do okay. And the other thing is we should mention whichever team wins the national championship. Say Ohio State wins the national championship, they are the three reseed, and if they're on your squad, I'll buy you three beers. I'll buy you three tacos. I'll buy you three of any reasonably reasonably priced social eating or drinking item. Okay, is that the bet? That's the bet. As long as it's not a hair bet, I'm fine with that. It's not a hair bet. But if A and M or USC wins, it's pricey Florist state wins a national championship. Yeah, so you want me to go first? Yeah, take the first pick? What are we calling this a national championship draft. I will come up with a more clever name later. I have the Blue Ship Fantasy Court like blue Chip Blue Championship. But it's workshop. Take that first pack, all right?
Speaker 2: With my first overall pick. We get so much mileage out of that draft.
Speaker 1: Chot so much it makes me feel great.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not crazy about Michigan, but it's hard for me to bet against Clemson, So I am going to go with the Rashawn Gary roundabout pairing. Wow, and I'm going to take both Clemson and Michigan. Let me start with Michigan. Yeah, I hate this selection.
Speaker 1: What you got to sell? It sell me. I don't have to do anything. I don't want to. I don't have to do anything. I don't want to tie. What I will sell.
Speaker 2: You on is why Michigan will not win the national championship this year. Okay, they got questions at quarterback.
Speaker 1: You're not so supposed to do that?
Speaker 2: Show I could do whatever I damn well, please, all right, I'm taking here, sir, sir Michigan's got questions at quarterback, questions on the line, questions about their wide receiver depth. I'm very mixed on their defense. I have no idea which direction the program is headed. I really genuinely root for Michigan to be better than they've been and to truly make that push into the upper echelon of college football. They're not there yet. I don't know what they'll get there under gym hardball. They're my hand, okay, because Clemson.
Speaker 1: So I mean, now I have to make the case for Michigan in order to see who does better. There's no logical case for Michigan. Disagree, disagree, Continue, well, what's the case? Go ahead. The case for Michigan is they've routinely had an excellent defense, certainly until the Ohio State game. But maybe it's one of those things, like those dig headlines, where it's like this one little wrinkle opened up everything. Perhaps this is the year because they're deep. I like them at all three levels. Michigan. They returned key players at all three levels on defense, and yes, quarterback is an issue, but they haven't had to rely on a transfer like they've had to do in multiple years with Jake Rudock and Shaye Patterson more recently. So they have system guys in Joe Milton and Dylan McCaffrey. Are the killers. No, probably not no, But you don't necessarily need that if you have an excellent defense and you surround them with talented dudes. They're better at running back than where they were last year. They've gotten a lot better along the offensive line these past couple of years with the hiring of a new coach and Ed Warren. And while I definitely have questions about receiver Josh Gattison year two, maybe he's adjusting things. He's still pretty well regarded, maybe not among Michigan fans, but in the coaching community. People I think think pretty highly of him. The schedule works out pretty well, ty the schedules. I mean, I know they go to Columbus, but before that, you know, to get Washington as early as they do is a good thing. As they break in a new offensive system with your guy, John Donovan, I think they can there.
Speaker 2: J there are Michigan fans out there ripping off their face masks and just given a good old primal scream. Right now, you've given Michigan fans more joy than they've experienced in the last several months.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying there's a certain degree of continuity, and you don't break through until you do right. You don't go through. Clemson didn't beat Florida State until they did Okay, So with Ohio State having to replace what they do on defense, and we'll get to Ohio State for and against, I'm not saying it's a great to be going to Columbus. I certainly am not.
Speaker 2: Edge up Michigan as part of a trade like a three for one trade to see if I can pry a true contender away from you.
Speaker 1: But Michigan is fine. I've got Michigan. Look, Wisconsin and Penn State are both at home this year. It's successive weeks. In late September early October. They traveled to Minnesota without Kirk Sharaka, but with your boy Mike Sandford calling the offense. And the back half of their schedule Purdue by Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Ohio State. If they can win games that are close, they can win some toss ups and quarterback works out. My problem with Michigan, and even though I just made the case for him, my problem with them is what I discovered while taking a shower. Oh and my problem is literally that word. I think Michigan has a problem problem on offense, a problem problem, and that is I don't know of any player on their offense. When you look at teams that compete for national championships regularly, they all have players that can be described has problems. Najee Harris is a problem justin Ross was and unfortunately won't be this year. A problem justin fields is a problem where you know what they're going to just relate to what you found in the shower. This is I was thinking about how I felt about Michigan in the shower time. Okay, so no antomical references here, Okay, no, no, no, everything is totally acceptable as per usual in the shower. But that's what I was thinking about. That I was thinking about. And then you look at the back half of this blue chip ratio list, is what does their roster of problems in a good way look like? And especially on the outside like Hassan Haskins and Zach Sharbone in the backfield, they're pretty good. I need problems if I'm holding up hardware. Travis etn JK. Dobbins Hilaires. They're probably do a college football podcast. You think about this stuff in the shower. All right, I can be done with Michigan. Can we be done with Michigan? Please? All right? Make make a Clemson case. Be positive.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm very positive. I'm very bullish on Clemson. One to three favorites. I believe to with Ohio State atop the latest Vegas polls or Vegas odds.
Speaker 1: Trevor Lawrence is probably going to.
Speaker 2: Win the Heisman, maybe him or Justin Fields, but he's certainly in the conversation. He's also going to have some competition from his own backfield with Travis Etn who I think burrowed some brows by saying he's coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big deal.
Speaker 2: Amari Rodgers is going to have to pull a little bit more weight in that receiving core now that Justin Ross is going to be out with his own health issues, and of course they had t Higgins move on to the NFL. They've got a cavalcade of playmakers. It's been a thing at Clemson. In case you haven't noticed. They do have some questions on their offensive line, but they recruited very well there. Their defense should be really good.
Speaker 1: In the front four. And we've seen what Clemson can do, and they've got a really good front for haven't we. Yeah, we have the back seven.
Speaker 2: More questions about the back seven, thankfully though, Brent Venables is a guy who knows how to build up defense. Sure, I'm looking at the schedule, I'm looking at this team. I'm looking at another run through the playoffs, another run into that national championship game. I feel very confident. I feel very confident Dan that this is one of the final two teams standing at the end of all of this, assuming they can get by the Notre Dame fighting.
Speaker 1: Ours should talk about a little bit later. I mean, that's the huge hurdle because it's in South Bend, right in South Bend. It's in so huge. I think they have problems in a good way on both sides. I'm gonna have to qualify that throughout the show. Did you find these while in the shower the Clemson good problems? Yeah? I did not find that. This is all a Michigan shower Michigan right, Okay. There are pieces on all three levels of Clemson's defense that I like a lot, especially when you look at their incoming recruiting class. The justin Ross loss is a huge hit, even though they've developed receivers perhaps better than any other school. You know, Dabos Sweeney's background makes it so. And Travis CTN is you know, you give them an inch, you're given up a mile. So the case is really difficult against Clemson. But what we've seen from Clemson almost annually is that yearly lapse, that brain fart Saturday, whether it was North Carolina and allowing the tar Heels to control the ball, whether it was NC State, whether it's pit whoever. That it's tough sometimes when you are so far ahead of the pack, no pun intended to keep your focus all year long, no matter the success you've had and because of and I still think the ACC is getting better, but not anywhere near as deep as it needs to be to be getting respect from me and probably you. If they have that slip up this year, even if it's against a good notreed aime team, they're going to be dinged more so than other teams, thus making their path harder. And we've seen it in a lot of seasons that a clear playoff worthy team is left out just because of a week of lapsing. So that to me, is the case against Clemson that because they're so thoroughly deep everywhere, you know, they lose a huge problem in Isaiah Tim Simmons in a good way on defense, who is so do everything. But I'm not worried, particularly about a brand Venable's defense right now that that's going to be an actual issue. So I think your case is strong. That's the only way I see them being left out. That they are just an extraordinary eleven and one twelve and one, but everything just broke unluckily for them.
Speaker 2: Interesting game in Week two against Louisville kille Cunningham. Okay, it is your selection, Dan, I have selected to and Michigan.
Speaker 1: I'd really like to be fun, but my cases against so many players just are hanging on my head. I'm going to take Alabama and Texas A and M almost. I mean, I know that I'm going to make the case for Texas A and M which is difficult tie, but I play the game. I buy in sure. So the case for Alabama is pretty straightforward. The most talented team in the country. They are going to be a lot healthier upfront on defense than they were last year. They should, I believe get Dylan Moses back at a certain high rate of play. The schedule is, you know what, it is trickier than usual, But they've earned a benefit of the doubt that I don't think anybody has. They have USC on a neutral site, as at least by the time we're talking, they do. They have Georgia during the regular season, which is great, but it's in Tuscaloosas that's nice for them. They've got to buy between their two toughest road games in the conference, and that's at Tennessee at LSU, and they finish against Texas A and M and Auburn. The case for is that they have one of the best five running backs in the country, maybe one of the best ten players in the country, a Heisman candidate in Najie Harris. They still have DeVante Smith and Jalen Waddle, and even though the secondary looks to be pretty new, they don't really have seasons that you can point to where you can say, man, you could just throw on Alabama Nick Saban. This is what he does. He transforms and develops and identifies quality defensive backs. So I'm dancing around the quarterback thing because sometimes it just doesn't matter. They won a national championship with Jake Koker, who is fine. Mac Jones is at least fine. Bryce Young, while a true freshman, looks like he'll develop into something probably special. Now will he be that guy in September if he wins the job. I don't know that Georgia defense looks like it's really really good, But just in terms of what we've seen in the last decade, Alabama and the odds feels pretty smart. Make your case against Alabama right now.
Speaker 2: I don't have a good case against Alabama.
Speaker 1: I guess you're killing me here.
Speaker 2: You're killing me well if you were trying to, if you were trying to establish one. I guess you can point to inexperience on the defense maybe maybe sure picking them apart though, but you're splitting hairs here.
Speaker 1: They're just so good. They're so good across the board.
Speaker 2: The Mac Jones Bryce Young thing, I think will be a question, right, what's the offense going to look like? That's tough to say, but I think you hit it. In either case. We have seen Nick Saban thrive both with and without a dynamic dual threat quarterback, especially when he's got a beast offensive line and a running back like Naji.
Speaker 1: Harris, which they do.
Speaker 2: The line is great, which they do, and they've got receivers out wide. They will find ways to put up points. There's not a doubt in my mind. Defensively, I guess the only thing that there is some inexperience, but they're just so good the level of talent there. Again, this is the top blue chip ratio team at eighty three percent, so I think they're they're doing just fine. The schedule is interesting to me. It features USC, a team that we're going to discuss here.
Speaker 1: It features that's the clear reason. I think that's the clear reason to pick against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Georgia in Week three early on against a really good defense. As you said, there are road spots at Tennessee, at LSU, and then later in the year home against A and M, who we're going to talk about momentarily and Auburn. It's an SEC West schedule. They do get Georgia, they add in USC. This is not a Clemson schedule, you know, and no disrespect to Clemson, but this is an SEC West schedule.
Speaker 1: They got to play two of the three best teams in the East. We got a tough draw with Georgia, and they tack on USC as well.
Speaker 2: So I guess that would be the case that you could find a slip up there on the Alabama side of things.
Speaker 1: You can find two slip ups you could find. You could see Georgia and going to Baton Rouge if if LSU is still pretty good, which I think they will be on offense anyway with terras Marshall and mar Chase, those are problems. Die those are big time problems. So going to Baton Rouge even after a bye they both have that bye week and having Georgia, they could have a very successful ten and two season and not even end up in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Can I can I ask you about your handcuff in this selection A and M. You want the case if I swapped out TCU for A and M this year, would you think less of me?
Speaker 1: Oh? I'd much rather have A and M on TCU? What is with you in TCU? I just I've had a hard time quitting TCU. You know how it is? Do you should? We like have our pal Marshall who played at TCU Marshall Newhouse, so you can just say tell me frog stories. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I have a hard tuitting TCU, but I feel like it's easier if I stay in the Great State of Texas. Give me the case four and against A and M.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike Elco is one of the absolute best defensive coordinators in the country. You saw the step they took forward on defense last year the Aggies. You look at their schedule, it was a murderer's role last year. You look at their skeed this year. I am not going as bullish as you would went with Nebraska and their ability to potentially start seven to zero. I'm saying non zero, nine and one or ten and oh start for Texas, A and M. They have four straight first year coaches and I don't remember the exact order, but in Colorado, Arkansas, Fresno State, and Mississippi State early on five overall because they also have Lanekiffen on their schedule, and that includes trips to Auburn and two South Carolina. I believe in successive weeks, but this was a team that got that's just sort of out ugly Auburn in a losing effort last year. South Carolina is doable. I think they'll have a better offense with Mike Bobo, but even traveling to Columbia. I think it's a it's a winnable game, and they've recruited well enough that some gaps can be filled by four and five star guys, especially on defense. Now they're going to need to rush the pass or better. The offensive line needs to be a lot more consistent, and obviously biggest of all Kellen Mond, who does play up to big games times, you know, especially with his legs. We saw the near win against Clemson a couple of years ago. He's played well against Alabama. If Kellen Mond can string together in year thirteen of his time at Texas A and M a top four season in the SEC. Quarterback wise, he's a fishing. He doesn't give the ball back. He you know, guts out third and seven's with his legs to keep drives going. I understand the case. It's a good year to get LSU because we don't know anything about what they're going to be Miles Brennan wise, and you know, I think they're gonna be excellent on defense with bow Polini. But it's a good year. If any year is to come, it's a good year to get them. So I'm going to ride the recruiting and Mike Elco to say, we're going to fill in some gaps, We're going to take advantage of inexperienced sidelines early on, and we're just going to pile up small victories and then suddenly we're sitting at nine and one or ten and zero. That's the case for all right. The case against the.
Speaker 2: Case against them is that they're in the SEC West, and sure, while I think they've got a decent enough quarterback and Kellen Mond. Talked a lot about Kellen Mond last year and how it was really all on his shoulders.
Speaker 1: He didn't get much help. I think he's decent enough.
Speaker 2: The argument against A and M is that he's not nearly decent enough to beat someone like Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in a national championship. I could make the case that A and M could start ten and oh. I don't know if I truly believe it, like I believe Nebraska seven and zero, but I could make that case.
Speaker 1: I'll make the case against Nebraska. Watch a Nebraska game. Adam Christian North Texas, Colorado, Arkansas, neutral site, Mississippi, Staten Starkville going to be difficult. Fresno at Auburn at South Carolina by Ole, Miss Vandy at Bama and LSU at home at Kyle Field to end the season.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could make that case for ten and zero. The schedule's nice. They've got the veteran QB and Mond. The issue I see is that he needs help around him, you know, like, who are the vertical charts? Can they block up front? Can they rush the pass?
Speaker 1: Problem? Problem? Is that what you're saying. I think that's what I'm saying. I think that's what I'm saying. The problem problem. It could be Jimbo Fisher. The problem problem could.
Speaker 2: Be the recruiting class that he has turned in the last couple of years. He's done a really good job there. But as for that one playmaker, one or two playmakers, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't know who that is. Yeah, and I don't know the problem.
Speaker 2: I don't think Kellen Mond can turn into that guy. We know a lot about what he is already, and I think it's asking an awful lot to expect that he is suddenly going to turn into this ultra efficient passer who is very responsible with the football. Just doesn't seem like that's the direction this is going to go be. I would love to be puzzling surprised, but it would definitely be a surprise.
Speaker 1: I worked you through an exercise. It's a weird way of phrasing what I'm about to say. I worked you through an exercise saying if if the Aggie's had the best fourth best SEC quarterback of the past decade or so, if it's you know, so, like who is the best fourth best during a specific season quarterback? You know Tyler Wilson, Nick Marshall, Brandon Allen, Connor Shaw, guys like that who are definitely pretty good, dependable, just not killers. Does that vault Texas A and M to a different strata? And so you know Kyle Shermer. Do those names move the needle for you enough to say now I think differently about Texas A and M if.
Speaker 2: Kyle Shermer were the quarterback at A and M and not Kellen mand Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 1: Right? Who has Kyle Shermer really did not win or perform admirably in huge Vanderbilt games, but you put up nice numbers? I think, oh, man, that's impossible. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I still think the question remains. You like Melko though, right, I do like my Irish heart, I do. The question remains about the help though. It doesn't matter what quarterback you put in there. Tell me about the help Tell me who's running the rock. Tell me who the vertical threats are? None of those guys for the helpers? Yeah, who are the helpers? One of those guys who's rushing the passer?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: These are questions that I have, regardless of who the quarterback is.
Speaker 1: Do you want to make a selection a new path? I think? Now? Do you get too in a row? Are we doing this fantasy draft?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: We're snaking it. It's up to you. Yeah, I'm you made the game. No, you know what? No, I didn't say that as we started. So this the pick goes to you. It says right here, fantasy snakes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the rules that you wrote up, my and Dan will conduct a snake style fantasy draft of teams.
Speaker 1: In the pool of teams, can I make a selection? Who do you got? I'm going to take the Jarvis Jones junction? Ty whoa Georgia? Georgia usc Jarvis Jones transferring transferring to the Dogs from the Trojans. The case for Georgia is somewhat straightforward, though it does have its limitations. The case for Georgia is Kirby Smart and his staff and that program. They've amassed an absurd amount of talent, especially on defense. Dan Lanning, I thought did a great job last year as he stepped into the role coordinating the defense, especially upfront, especially in the meat of that defense. They're going to get after the quarterback. They're going to collapse pockets. There are no shortage of problems good problems on that Georgia defense. Offensively is actually where my question is, even though people seem to be pretty bullish because of the combination of Jamie Newman and new offensive coordinator Todd Mounkin, they don't have any time together. Ty No, they didn't practice over the spring, and it's something we talked about I talked about with Joe Morehead, which is what are offenses going to look like with new coordinators when they don't have time to sort of see what they have both in their returning players and in the case of Georgia, what do they have in this transfer in Jamie Newman. He's a very different kind of quarterback than what they've done recently. A lot of RPO stuff. He runs a lot he's extremely talented, but they don't have time. They don't have time with him. The good news is they're surrounding him with good problems ty George Pickens, Demetrius Robertson good. But it'll be a new offensive line. But they've recruited there really well should be as a mere white in the backfield, former number one running back who's had injury issues. But there's enough there even without their killers in the backfield recently with Nick Chubb and Sony Michelle and DeAndre Swift that all of their offensive issues probably won't be solved because of the introducing Jamie Newman and Todd Monkin really quickly. But you look at what they look like after or because during and after the South Carolina game last year, they weren't scoring thirty points. I don't think they did until Georgia Tech with that much talent. So that's the case against and also they traveled to Alabama and you can hop on this little bit more. I'm doing your work for you. The middle of their schedule is trappy. I don't know if you have it in front of you. I do, but it's Georgia has been a troubling October team. These past couple of years, so that, to me would be my concern. But I think the case is strong that there's just so much in so many places on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's so hard to split hairs with Georgia. You love the talent level, I absolutely am with you. I love the defense. They're completely loaded back there. Offensively, I've been reading the same optimism. I want to feel optimistic.
Speaker 1: I want to feel more confident.
Speaker 2: But to your point, Jamie Newman, Todd Monkin, there's a lot there that remains to be seen. What will this offense look like. There's also a lot of turnover all on the offensive line, sure, which is troubling in the SEC. I'm looking at the schedule now, there are four true road games.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: There are a couple neutral siders, but for true road games. And you mentioned that stretch in October. Start off the month with Vandy at home, then they get Auburn at home. Then they go to Missouri, which is a weird place to play.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest. Now we look ahead week before the bye yeah.
Speaker 2: Bye week before the Florida game in Jacksonville, and then there is what I think could be a weird letdown look ahead spot on the road in Columbia, South Carolina against the South Carolina game Cocks before coming back home to square off against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think they'll look past it after losing last year. It's certainly a revenge spot, but that is a hell of a sandwich.
Speaker 2: Definitely some letdown potential there, depending on the way the Florida game goes. Because Florida is another team on our list and they should be pretty solid as well. It's an interesting schedule. I think it's well balanced all throughout. They do need to get through that middle portion. I like the fact that they get Alabama early. Alabama's got some questions. We talked about Alabama not that many, but what's the offense look like? Some questions elsewhere that they need to answer. I like the fact that George has got a rock solid defense and they've got the Crimson tider early. I think that works to their advantage. I like this pick a lot, I really do. I thought about going with this if I had the opportunity to steal them off the back of a truck if you didn't.
Speaker 1: But the one.
Speaker 2: That I'm most interested in, actually yeah, of this pairing is not Georgia but USC.
Speaker 1: This is listen. I'm I'm putting myself out there because we've enjoyed making fun of USC and hype for USC and expectations for USC each and every year. And next year is the year. Next year is the year. The case is pretty straightforward for USC. They returned the best quarterback in the conference. It's a good place to start, Tye. Keaton's Loovas is the best returning quarterback in the Pac twelve. And there are other guys who are talented. Nobody accomplished what he accomplished. Nobody don't think has the ceiling that he does. The best of Keaton Slovas is the clear highest in the conference right now. The talent up front on defense, I like j Twu Felly, I like Drake. I always forget Drake Jackson. I think Drake Jackson is the defensive lineman. Drake London is the pass catcher. I like Drake Jackson. I like Pollier. I'll get it right by the season. Not Taeote. I like him at linebacker. The secondary's experience. Todd Orlando I still think is a good defensive coordinator, but I don't think he was right for what ailed Texas last season. I like Graham Harrell a lot. Their schedule sucks, it's what kind of sucks that's the case against. But even still, it's a Utah team that's always pretty good and it's on the road in Salt Lake. I always like picking against pretty decent teams with some hype going to Salt Lake City because that's just it's where pretty good teams go to die and get exposed. They're traveling to Eugene early on in November. Washington is back at home. They're on the road against Ucla, but not really because it's with in La and then they finished with Notre Dame at home. It's a tough schedule, but the receivers, the defront on defense, the coaching upgrade I think. I think. I still think to Orlando is an upgrade to Clancy Pendergast in twenty twenty. So that's the case right now is for a somewhat open Pac twelve South. Their road to the Pack twelve championship game, if there is one, is not terribly bumpy. I hate going to Utah, but other than that, yeah, you can make a good Keaton Slovis factor is you get to early December, anything can happen. Perhaps that's the case to me.
Speaker 2: See, I mean the move last year to the air raid was something that I know we spent a lot of timeline and I think looking back now, you have to look back at it, and the injury to JT. Daniels was unfortunate. But finding Keaton slovas a true freshman, there's a huge win for Clay Hilton. Installing that air raid and getting as much out of it as they did a huge win. That offense should be dynamic again this year. It's not just clear that quarterback room. By the way, did you see that? I see they cleared it up, but Matt Think is still there. Matt Think might be a professor at this point. He's in like his ninth year of eligibility. He never left. No, he's gonna get the memo. Okay, he's the backup. But my point here on the offense is just that it's not Slovas.
Speaker 1: It's not just Slovs.
Speaker 2: They've got a good line in front of him, They've got good receivers out wide. I think they'll be dynamic defensively. It's a mixed bag. It's a mixed bag. I don't know if we know what to expect. I do agree that Todd Orlando is an upgrade, but trying to come in and fix things, especially in this day and age with the coronavirus and practices being canceled and maybe not being able to work as much with the team as he would like.
Speaker 1: It's tough to say. It's tough to say.
Speaker 2: I'm really intrigued by USC, and I was pleasantly surprised when I went in and did some quick research on them going into twenty twenty. I honestly found myself excited to see what this team turns into.
Speaker 1: If we had said three years ago that USC got Todd Orlando to run their defense, everybody's super pumped.
Speaker 2: Right, I would think, so, yeah, okay, because you have both Alabama and Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I'm in a bit of somebody.
Speaker 2: I'm in a bit of a defensive spot here, and I need to go to Ohio State and Washington the so called recent Rosie Ranch Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeh. Playing the rose ball a couple years ago. It is hard to bet against a team with Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: I really like Ohio State. I like what Ryan Day did a year ago. Let me start by making the case against Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is very confusing for me. So this now I have to make the case for. No.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna make both cases. I'm gonna play both sides of this coin.
Speaker 1: I gave you the rules up front. I am making my own rules. Is my show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's an awful lot of turnover here, there is. I cannot make the case for without first acknowledging that there's somewhat of a case against because the secondary got crushed. They got turnover along the defensive line, at wide receiver end, at running back.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You look at this team, there's a lot there that remains to be answered. But you start with justin fields. I think that's a pretty damn good starting point. You look around the roster, up and down that roster. Yes, there are guys leaving, but god of their guys coming in. This is a really, really good Ohio State team. As I look at this schedule, Dan, of course, they've got some games on there that I think are notable, particularly in mid to late October. They got a Michigan State game that I think in recent years might look a little bit more formidable.
Speaker 1: But they've got a new sandwich there. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows what direction that game's gonna head. They do go to Beaver Stadium October twenty fourth. That's been a tough place for them to play. But outside of that, Dan and maybe that Oregon game. What do you mean, maybe that organ maybe that Oregon game. Oregon's like the number five team in the country.
Speaker 1: New quarterback. Don't know what's going on at Oudson at Autsin in front of a probable empty stadium. Probable empty stadium. Yeah, I think the schedule works out okay.
Speaker 2: Otherwise Bowling Green, Buffalo, Rutgers, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana at Maryland at Illinois.
Speaker 1: And then a home game against Michigan.
Speaker 2: There are land mines there a schedule.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you just said the word Iowa, like you didn't watch the game from two years ago.
Speaker 2: I just I feel like it's well balanced. I feel like it sets up okay for them. It's just so hard to go against justin field. Right now, Ohio State is a one to three co favorite to win the national championship, and despite all that turnover, you still you still have to feel really good about their chances to go and certainly make it through the Big Ten, but also make it back into that playoff.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna light a candle right now because I'm gonna set the mode, because I want you to make that sweet, sweet case for national championship Washington Osky football. All Right, hold on, it's getting sentual in here. I don't I don't have I don't know if you have LEX steels drop or anything like that. Do I have? Of course I have LEX. You know that I always have Lex. All Right, Ty, I'm getting a little steamy in this, Clowice, make the case for national champion Washington.
Speaker 2: New offensive coordinator John Donovan very dynamic in the NFL, you can say with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Dan, Yeah, if you're not familiar with his work, prepared to be dazzled.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. I am available for. I am available for I'm available.
Speaker 2: For Counsel Husky. I am available for Council Husky fans. FYI starting another jac in twenty twenty this time maybe maybe maybe maybe Jacob's sermon, Yeah, could be the them coming in.
Speaker 1: For Jacob Eason. What else do we got here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't have much for Washington, Dan, I just wanted to grab Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Would you like me to make the case and you want to make the case against them? Is that something you want to do.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a case for which is part of my issue. I just wanted to have Clemson in Ohio State on my roster, Lesz.
Speaker 1: There is no real case for Washington as a national champion. The best I can do, and I try to approach all of these in earnest. They've recruited really well. They're a blue chip ratio team TI. There's a good amount of talent, especially on defense, really on all three levels, actually along the line and in the secondary. I really really like their secondary treent McDuffie and Elijah Molten, both very very talented corners. Jimmy Lake has built a really good defensive program at Washington. I imagine, like most defensive head coaches, they're going to try to go ball control on offense and John Donovan and ball control hand in hand. I think they have a problem problem Outside of Puka Nakua, I think is a good, really good wide receiver for you dub Their schedule is nah great time schedule. They open with Michigan, They're on the road, against Oregon, Utah Cal USC and Wazoo. Has Jimmy Lake fielded a defense that has lost to Wazoo? He has not. Has he fielded a defense that has lost to Oregon Utah Cal? Yeah, he has. He definitely has. So the case is if they ride ball control and a defense and it's a weird season because of no crowds. So it's a good good year to have no crowd at Oregon if you're on the road, and that's that's something. It's good year to have no crowd in Salt Lake City. That's a very tough place to play. I think that's the case that they play smart, they ride their defense, and they just they pile up w's. But that's a lot of ats, ty, it's a lot of ats. All right. I want to go to my next pick, if that's okay with you, Okay, okay, please do.
Speaker 2: Give me that Joe Brady bunch, give me Joe Brady Bunch.
Speaker 1: Take them.
Speaker 2: Let me start with Penn State. Penn State's the reason I'm taking this LSU and Penn State pairing. And I like LSU, but Penn State might be the sleeper. They're at seven to one right now, according to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get to the playoff, not to win it all, to get in to the playoffs. Excuse me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kirk Shiraka coming over from Minnesota, new offensive coordinator. I love that hire. I think it's an outstanding higher. I like the line. I think the running backs are very capable. They're deep at running back. I don't know if John Dotson can step up and step in for kJ Hamler.
Speaker 1: That's sort of the main question offensively.
Speaker 2: But the bones are there. The bones are there. Sean Clifford. I think Shiraka is going to get more out of him. He's a legit dual threat quarterback. He can do a lot. I think Shiraka can make the most of that situation. Defensively, they got some losses, but they got some big names coming back. They got Shock Tony and Jason Oway and Micah Parsons at linebacker, Tariq Castro fields, Lamont Wade all in the back. I said it before, I'll say it again. They got to give up fewer backbreaking pass plays. They got to get more out of their own passing game. But this is a team that I think is in a really, really good spot to maybe maybe be a surprise. I now have Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State out of the big ten eiees. So I'm gonna get somebody with the chance, somebody who's in the conversation come the latter half of the season.
Speaker 1: Penn State schedule this year is it's a good mix.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's the kind of schedule that you'd put together in the old NCAA fourteen video game series. You're trying to get that a plus in the scheduled department while not totally maiming yourself, right, and so it's well balanced. On the road at Virginia Tech, Week two will be a challenge again. Lane Stadium, maybe without people different.
Speaker 1: What's going to be the most haunting empty stadium. It's like, Oh, that's so weird to look at fully empty, fully devoid of fans. Wow, that's me. It might be Kyle Field. I was gonna say the Michige so big, Yeah, Michigan, Yeah, is a good answer. Michigan actually looked really cool. The way that they've built the MM in the square m into the seats, that'll look at least look cool. Kyle Field without I know, people like to make fun of the sort of faux militariness of Texas A and M. But there's an energy about Texas A and M games that it's going to feel very weird to see fully, you know, vacuumed.
Speaker 2: On the road lane Stadium. Week two, they got San Jose State and Northwestern before going on the road to Michigan.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Then they've got to buy. Then they have Iowa at home, which will totally be a trap game, before Ohio State at home, Correct at Indiana at Nebraska, Michigan State, Maryland at Rutgers to close out the year.
Speaker 1: That's a workable schedule. That's an awesome back half, which is also what people say about me in the shower tie. But that's an awesome back half. That's a workable schedule.
Speaker 2: So if Penn State can assemble the pieces I think primarily on offense and just make a few tweaks on defense, they're in a really really good spot here onto LSU.
Speaker 1: Can I say something about Penn State real quick? Sure can't. You can't get picked apart by Kirk Shiraka. If you hire Kirk, that's right, that's right. You can't. Dan taps his forehead. Hire him. If you can't beat him, hire them. I don't think they have any winter wonders on offense. That's the clear case. I actually know I should take that back. There's a lot of Journey Brown. I like there's a lot about that, dude. I like a lot. But your Johan Dotson question, I like Baby Gronk, Pat friarm youth, But I worry about who's stretching the field against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa. That to me is a huge question about Penn State because Michael Parsons on defense is see the best linebacker in the country. He's a top five draft pick. Yeah, easily. I think they're able to with an offensive step forward. I don't think they're getting to the playoff, but I think they become even more dangerous.
Speaker 2: You may ask about lsues. What does this team look like without Joe Burrow, without Joe Brady. What's it look like without Clyde Edwards, Hilaire and Justin Jefferson and four guys that need to be replaced along that offensive line. I don't have an answer for you. This is a team that went through a bit of a revolution last year. They caught liking in a bottle with Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was a fluke.
Speaker 2: I'm not implying that, but that combination of Brady and Burrow was one of the all time greatest offensive seasons we've ever seen. They outscored everybody. Joe Burrow had ridiculous numbers. They blew out their opponent in the National Championship game. This was clearly a once in a generation offense, once in a generation team.
Speaker 1: They deserved it.
Speaker 2: Moving on beyond that, it strikes me that there's still a lot of talent on this team. Awful lot of talent on this team. Even if, as you said, Miles Brennan is two thirds as good as what we saw Joe Burrow do last season, that's still pretty damn good. That still gives you a chance in most of these games in the SEC. What I like about them is that they can rely on that defense.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, Scott Linehan, Sorry, continue. I like that Bo Polini is back beaty. Oh love that.
Speaker 2: I like that he's back. I like that they're good up front. I love Derek Stingley in the back. There are questions at linebacker. There are questions at linebacker, and I got real questions about what happens when Texas comes to town in week two. But I still think this team is really well positioned. They've recruited so well. They're riding high here after winning that national championship. It does feel like they've got some momentum now at Orgeron realize the air of his ways and needed to make some changes on offense. We'll see if they carry over now post Joe Brady. But you have to feel awfully good about where this team is at, even despite all the losses.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, I think they'll be good rushing the quarterback, even though that's a question. They're just they're going to be too talented on every level, especially on the inside of their defense. They've got a lot of beef the middle of that defense, so it's going to open things up everywhere else. I think you hit everything. They should be in a good place. And I actually want to change my answer. I think Death Valley is going to be the most haunting place empty. You got two back to back picks here, Dan, Okay, I guess I'll take Sugary Sweethearts. So that's Oklahoma and Auburn. Oklahoma is end Auburn.
Speaker 2: Dan, why do you start with Oklahoma here because they've got a quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know, I think we feel pretty.
Speaker 2: Okay about what Lincoln Riley can do with a new quarterback. He's sort of our track record at this point. But the Ceede Lamb loss to the NFL hurts. What kind of production do we get from guys out wide? What does it mean to lose Kenneth Murray in the heart of that defense? Like there there's some real questions at all three levels of this defense. So I was shying away from this pick because of questions not only about Oklahoma but also Auburn shall get too momentarily, but start with the Sooners here.
Speaker 1: How do you feel? Well? I mean, you loved Penn State, so we can go through all the Penn State College Football playoff memories you have. Because Oklahoma gets there, say what you will about what they do once there. They get there. He's your road, for sure, but they get there. The case for Oklahoma is I think pretty straightforward. They actually improved on defense the last we saw of them. That statement doesn't make sense, but during the Big Twelve season they did enough confusing teams, creating havoc attacking quarterbacks that it's clear that Alex Grinch. I don't know what his ceiling is in Norman, but it's clear that he is improving things. He is getting them to an interesting place. Spencer Ratler was incredibly well thought of coming out of high school. I think he was a number one quarterback in the class couple of years ago. He steps in with experience in the program, and for the first time, he's not transferring in like the last couple quarterbacks granted or less three quarterbacks, two of them one. Heisman's pretty good track record, so Spencer Ratler should be in a good position. Even though they lose Cede Lamb, all they do is keep replacing really great receivers with really great receivers. Maybe that's Charleston Rambo. I know they're dealing with injuries there with Jadon Hazelwood and Theo Howard, but I'm still not worried. They lose Trey Sermon, they solve Kennedy Brooks, they return a ton along the offensive line, and even though you know you mentioned Kenneth Murray and you mentioned questions on all three levels, I don't know if there's a long list right now with big twelve quarterbacks that just out and out scare me. You take the good, you take the bad. There's Brock Purdy, Right, you take the good, you take the bad. There's Sam Ellinger. There's nobody that is just like man, I don't know. I don't know what this defense is gonna do against that guy, Joe Burrow. Yeah, that's a question. They get Caleb Kelly back, hopefully for a full season. I like this Oklahoma team. It's not an amazing schedule, but it's fine. They get Baylor at home, they get Texas, you know, the new neutral site like they do every year, through on the road against the TCU team. I have a lot of questions about It's a pretty smooth November. I'm not going to take Army lightly because we all watched that game a little while ago, and they have Tennessee early on. But it's Oklahoma. They just keep winning the conference, and I think Spencer Ratler, with time to develop now, I think he is going to have probably more upside than at least they had last year in the long term. So I like Oklahoma good amount. Is that candle still burning that you lit for Washington?
Speaker 2: You're going to make me talk about bon Nix, Talk to me about your love for Sweet Sweet true sophomore bon Nicks. Dan make that case for bow Nicks Heisman, Heisman contender and National Championship contender.
Speaker 1: Walk me through every single game that bon Nicks has lost to Alabama. Walk me through every single one of them. He beat Oregon even though he tried not. He beat him with that last throw and led an offense in a win against Alabama with ant Tua, but nonetheless mid Alabama, so he has played up in big moments. Chad Morris takes over at offensive coordinator. I think that's an upgrade. Kevin Steele is one of the best three defensive coordinators in the country. They lose a lot up front, and I'm not terribly concerned. Maybe I should be, but they've recruited well enough and Kevin Steel year over year over year just keeps not allowing anything of offenses, So I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Linebacker looks really, really good. The secondary should be fine. They lose key pieces, but they should be fine. And I think we assume even with a new line in front of him, and you know, a sort of up in the air situation with a couple good returning receivers. Bownicks can get too efficient, because I don't think he was last year. I think he can become a lot more concern distant this year. Chad Morris has a good reputation, at least had a good reputation with what he did at Clemson as a coordinator. So with this schedule, North Carolina at a neutral site on the road against Georgia, I think they have a bye before Mississippi State and then they finished with LSU and on the road in the Iron Bowl. It's a tough schedule for sure, but they're you know, they're chaotic Auburn and why count them out? So I'm rolling with them if we could just add a little bit more texture here, give me the case against do it you against Auburn? Yeah, that's your job now. I made the case for both of these teams.
Speaker 2: Entirely new offensive line. You said you kind of panned the fact that it's a new offensive line. You're five five starters up front in front of a quarterback who, let's be honest, had some shaky moments. I liked that decidedly more than you all last year.
Speaker 1: That much is clear. Go back and listen. Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Losing five starters up front it's gonna take a while, especially in this day and age with the Rona running wild, to get that kind of cohesion that you need to keep him protected.
Speaker 1: I worry about that.
Speaker 2: And again I agree that Kevin Steele one of the best defensive coordinators in the country for sure, But losing Derek Brown, losing Marlin Davidson.
Speaker 1: I think you give the secondary a little too much credit.
Speaker 2: I think it's questionable. I just I'm not as bullish on the defense as I think you are.
Speaker 1: The one defense to really accomplish something against LSU last year. Now Derek Brown's gone, there's a lot different about this defense. But man, just every year, every year you turn around and they're like the best defense in the red zone in the country.
Speaker 2: All Right, you get one other PI is your last pick? Make it worthwhile?
Speaker 1: I guess I have to take. Wait, I guess I could take either the eighteen wheel Warehouse or Florida. Man, right, that's you get one of the other one or the other. You know what, I'm gonna take the eighteen wheel Warehouse. Do it, do it, keep gonna make and baby, let's start with Notre Dame. Let's get real with it, ty.
Speaker 2: Let's get real. Does this mean I get to make the case against Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: That's correct? That is correct, baby, go ahead, Oh baby, are you like an and one sideline announcer? Oh? Baby, so I've long now said quarterback and defense. That's my combination for playoff caliber. Ian Book is a playoff quarterback.
Speaker 2: Correct uh, he is a playoff participating quarterback.
Speaker 1: He has led a team to the college football playoffs. Correct sir, you're on the stand, You're under oath. Okay, so that is that is fact. That is fact. Only their defense, they have probably one of the best seven defensive coordinators in the country. And Clark Lee, right, I think he's a total stud. You you have a little bit of a Clark Lee boner. You love Clark Okay, Ty's easy. I know the candles burning hot. They don't have any obvious killers to me at offensive skill position. And you know, Chase Claypool had to do a lot himself. They tried to build the whole, the whole plane out of Chase Claypool last season and it worked to a decent extent. But I don't I don't see an obvious replacement for him. Cole Koment in the backfield is. It just seems like they're just guys. The offensive line should be really good in front of in front of ian book, They're a decent shaped linebacker. I don't think they're gonna get after the quarterback in the way that they have in previous years. But I still think they have guys. Dalen Hayes is still I think, yet to reach his potential. We'll see, but I think clark Lee will put him in a decent enough position. With a schedule that man, they've got, They've got the body blowback to back with Wisconsin and Stanford, but even that, like Davis Mills check Cone, I just I'm not terribly sweating everything. They have McHale and Kevin Slovas back to back to finish the season. McHale I believe is in South Bend. The USC is in LA. But I don't I think they're They always seem to be good enough. They you know, they got blown out of the water by what Michigan last year. They ran all over them. Yep, And they might have one of those weeks and maybe maybe it'll be against Clemson, but I don't know. Combination defense, secondary should be pretty good. Kyle Hamilton steps in Aloi, Gilman gone. I think it's just I think they're going to be solid enough where they'll squeak out some Twenty seven to twenty three is more often than not. I was going to discredit your whole case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you missed, I said, Kyle Hamilton, Kyle Hamilton, come on your guy. I would be content letting Clark Lee play Kyle Hamilton at all eleven defensive positions.
Speaker 1: Sure, move him around like.
Speaker 2: He's Isaiah sim and see what he can do, because he's he's really good, he's big, he's really good. He's going to play safety. He's going to get more minutes as a safety this year. And I think they should be really good on defense. The schedule's not bad. They got four games that basically determine everything you mentioned, Louisville and USC, and there's that Wisconsin game earlier on in the year, and then as we get to November, the home game against Clemson. And it's really those four games that I think will decide a lot, and what we'll decide at all truly won't be the defense. It's going to be Ian book and what Tommy Reese can squeeze out of Ian Book, what can you get out of him this year.
Speaker 1: Who's catching the passes? Don't know?
Speaker 2: Who's lining up in the backfield, don't know. Can Chris Tyree give him something? I hope so, yeah, yeah, I hope her in the backfield. I don't feel great about Jafar Armstrong, but I think the line will be okay. They recruited well up front. There's a lot to like about the offense. I just don't know if we know who that problem problem is yet. There are definitely problem problems on defense. They'll be fine on defense, but offensive.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've confused you with that term. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a double negative in the worst way.
Speaker 1: But it's fine. It's fine if your friends problem problem that means you have an issue having standout players. It's a weird term. A lack of standout players is a problem problem.
Speaker 2: I I feel okay, mm hmm okay about the case of chance is what it's just a schedule Ian book and not having game changers on offense.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I have to I think Texas is actually a really easy defense. Texas has seven new assistant coaches, two new coordinators, and Mike Rsicch and Chris ash mm hmm. On paper, the thing that really jumps out on offense is losing your two big wideouts and Devin de Verne and Colin Johns. You're making the case four right now, I just draft him. You're making the case for it. Want to be straight here. The case for this is what I do with Texas. I like, I know there's there's something about the lone star state between TCU Texas and Bucky. You just it sings to you. I think they'll be fine.
Speaker 2: They got Sam Elliot, they'll be fun and defensively, you other Chris Ashy changing the system. He's trying to be a little more reliant on creating pressure without blitzing. Yeah, they got a lot back on defense, so you got to like that. The schedule is is favorable. I like that those crash lsu early, maybe in an empty stadium. Can you imagine how back Texas would be if they went on the road to Tiger Stadium in one week two against Elisee with help, no crowd noise, no crowd noise, ten out of ten back nest right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, meet George on the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago. So their their record is is pretty decent against top SEC teams recently, other than you know, the lost to LSU last year. Uh yeah, I think you're right the optimism. There's a lot of very interesting pieces. They return a bunch on the offensive line. The running backs are good. It was a question last year, and now they have answers there to wreak black transfers in to help the receiving corps. I think they moved a blue chip running back over to slot receiver, so I think there's enough speed, enough talent around Sam Ellinger, who has proved himself to play up to big games at times. I like the Chris ash higher. They're going to be healthier in the secondary. I like the pieces up front. I think they were probably they were probably a year away last year, which was weird timing given the win over Georgia the year before and the momentum coming into the season, But they were probably a year away with how young they were on defense, and so now if they're healthier and more experienced, those freshman sophomores become sophomores and juniors. I think there's a I like Mike Gearsick a lot as a coordinator. He makes every place better so the case is obviously there. The case against is just they are Texas. The universe views them as Texas and treats them as such. And you're going to get your shootouts against Kansas, You're going to get your weird losses to Iowa State or can can you turn those close ugly losses into close ugly wins sometimes? But with Sam Allinger, with the talent around him, it feels like a year set up. Even with all of the changes on the sideline and the coaching staff, it feels like a good year to maximize what Texas can be because their road games are Kansas State tough place to play, probably an empty stadium, Oklahoma State tough place to play, probably an empty stadium, and LSU same for them, And so it works out pretty well for Texas, especially in week two, if they're getting a Miles Brennan who's still a little bit raw and unsure of himself, it's great for Texas, all right.
Speaker 2: That means that I have one pick to make here, doesn't it correct? I am stuck with Florida, man. I like Florida the Gators. I think Dan Mullen will get them ratchet it up. I have come around on calm throw Kyle. Do have some questions about some of the playmakers on offense, in the backfield elsewhere, but I've come to trust Dan Mullen. I think I think he will do a fine job in that situation. Defensively, I think they're stout as well, and I like the schedule.
Speaker 1: Frankly, I think the.
Speaker 2: Schedule works to their favor. Their road games listen to this, At Tennessee a bit of rivalry, right, but at Tennessee that's a winnable game. Yeah, on the road, at Old miss on the road, at Vandy, on the road at Florida State, the close out the year, of course of Georgia games, Neutral Cider.
Speaker 1: It's a great schedule, really good schedule. In between. They've got Eastern Washington, Kentucky, South Alabama, South Carolina, LSU tough game but at home. Yeah, but l season games well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got Missouri, New Mexico State. Like these are all very very winnable games. I find it hard to believe that we're not looking at at least a ten and two Florida team. And yes, depending on what happens elsewhere around the SEC East, you could probably make a case that this is a contending team. They've recruited well. If the offense can take more strides forward. Given what Dan Moull did last year having to start Kyle Trask on short notice, slowly built that offense up around him, There's an awful lot to like there, favorable schedule, good talent level. If things break in their direction, this is a steal, could be potentially a steal.
Speaker 1: Another haunting empty stadium swamp. Oh god, wow, that would be difficult to watch, but I'll happily do it. I will happily watch college football if it means empty stadiums, that's okay. Yeah, I think you laid it out pretty well. I think they lost probably too many game changes on defense. I think there's intriguing dudes, young red shirting whatever that could come in and immediately play an interesting role on defense. And I think they have an offensive problem problem. I love Kyle Trask. I think he is a really impressive quarterback, probably the best guy in the SEC returning, and I really like Kyle Pitts. But in terms of guys, I'm just really scared of either in the backfield or lining up out wide. I'm not sure I see it. I'm not sure I see it that's the case against but they look to have double digitalent. I like their coordinators at least I like Todd Grantham and Dan Mullen should be calling the place. Maybe something has changed.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: There's way more to like about Florida than not and getting LSU at home, getting probably an empty Tennessee stadium on the road. It's great or to set up to have a really, really impressive year, and they've they've closed the gap against Georgia. They went from being completely out of that game to losing by a touchdown. And it's a good year to get Georgia.
Speaker 2: This means that I have to try and defend Florida State and Miami, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can do it really quickly. You don't have to spend a ton of time by apposition groups and coaches.
Speaker 2: I will say that of these two teams, Miami is certainly the more interesting. Florida State's in transition. I have a lot of faith in Mike Norvell. I think he'll do a good job in Tallahassee. But the Miami situation is interesting because they you know, they made a big deal dan enos last year and Tate Martell coming down from Ohio State.
Speaker 1: That didn't work. Yeah no, But they've now brought in Rhett Lashley.
Speaker 2: He's going to change up the system again. They've added Deeric King from Houston, who's an exciting player. They got to improve their offensive line, but they've got a really good pass rush, really really good pass rush. And now the back half of the defense won't be as good. But when you got that pass rush up front, that pass rush, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that Temple influence Quincy Manny dis you.
Speaker 2: Gotta feel pretty good about that. I'm looking at the schedule, now, listen to this Temple Wagner UAB. On the road at Michigan State, they.
Speaker 1: Should win that game. You read schedules, Ty, You read schedules like you're doing an audio book. Wagner UAB, You're great. You have a talent that I'll never have.
Speaker 2: Home against Pitt on the road at Wake, Home against North Carolina at UVA, Home against Florida State at Virginia Tech, at Georgia Tech, and home against Duke.
Speaker 1: They go twelve at oh I would have just cut off at like, Hey, Derek King's exciting and they probably have the best duo of defensive ends in the country, and Greg Rossel and Quincy Rochek tell.
Speaker 2: Me they couldn't go twelve and zero against the schedule.
Speaker 1: They won't coach against the schedule.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of problems in Miami. They can't protect their quarterback. Derek King's just going to sail too many mistakes. He's a defense. Yeah, work with me here, Okay, I'm trying. I think that's what rad Lashley will be saying to the offensive line coach at some point this year. I also am not a huge like RHT Lashley, as I think built up his reputation somewhat going to coach for head coaches who are already the offensive mastermind of their team and gusmels On and recently Sunny Dykes at SMU.
Speaker 1: So I hope he's good. I just I'm not sold, all right, Dan, Well, here's what we got.
Speaker 2: I have Ohio State in Washington, Boom Killers, LSU and Penn State. I have Clemson in Michigan, and I have Florida Florida State in Miami. And for you, you have Alabama and an m the Ranchione Farm which is the best name, thank you.
Speaker 1: Georgia and USC Texas in Notre Dame. I love this. Hell yeah, hell yeah. Well look, think if Texas beats Oklahoma, think about it, thank about it. Even if they lose, tell us you twelve and one and winning the Big twelve. It's a pretty good position. Got Oklahoma there last year, and you've got Oklahoma and Auburn. Yeah sugreat greathearts. So look right in Solid Verbal at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Let us know who has the better roster. Let us know what we left out and our cases for and against.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can always find us out there on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter, go on the subreddit, argue your side if you will, Uh, don't forget the Subscribe to the show on Spotify, on Apple, on Google, anywhere you get a podcast. You can find the Solid Verbal all year round. And if you missed anything, going out to the website at solidverbal dot com. While you're there, sign up for the newsletter because I'm going to be sending out more as we announce all sorts of fun stuff here in the off.
Speaker 1: Season Dan in the meantime fun Show.
Speaker 2: But let's keep those fingers crossed that there can be a safe way to put all of these selections to the test because otherwise it's gosh, we're gonna have to simulate this in NCAA fourteen with new rosters.
Speaker 1: Will you play the People's Court music as you give the places where people can subscribe and follow, and like, do you want me? You really want me to? Yeah? I absolutely do. Subscribe to the show Spotify, Apple, Google, anywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 1: That's all I got. Okay, that's all I have.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty happy with my squad, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilton Brand.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in two days. We'll talk to you then. In the meantime, stay solid, Pace,