Speaker 1: What's happening everybody? Happy Monday to all of you out there.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio, John Harris Football and Outside of the Reporter, alongside the voice of the Texans who is gassed up about flag football after this weekend, Mark Vandermin, Mark, how do you feel, Johnny?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great and watching a lot of basketball, like everybody is, in fact, trying to recall some of these games over the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's all a blur, right, Wait, coach? Game was that.
Speaker 3: Where the guy took the past and he did? It's so hard to remember did the thing? Who are they playing again? Because they knocked somebody off? I know Iowa State's really good. Longhorns are in the sweet sixteen. Of course, the Coup's playing at home, which is freaking awesome. It is awesome, So there's a lot to digest from that. But I know this is not an NCAA tournament show. Maybe we should just do a podcast once a year on basketball because it's so much fun to dissect the crunch time moments of these games, like Saint John's yesterday and what happened with Iowa and Florida. My goodness, they ran a football play to them. That's beautiful. There's so many fun things to watch, so I enjoyed it. But you mentioned the flag football that was Saturday at three Central Tom Brady his showcase. They were going to do this in Saudi Arabia. I guess yeah, yeah, right, they did it in LA and you had Team USA facing two semi NFL, semi current, semi former player laden teams, right yeah, and Team USA took it to them.
Speaker 1: I'm being shit. We thought that it would happen up and down the field. Who told you was gonna happen?
Speaker 3: We did, and to the point where they had I believe it was fifteen drives on the day and scored on all but one of them because they took a knee or something. So, oh my gosh, is that good. They can do whatever they want against anybody they want. Now, look, if you took NFL players and had them practice and refine their skills in this particular kind of sport, it would be different because these are world class athletes you're talking about with the NFL players, the players they had on the field, not the krem delink for the most part. You know, Jade and Daniels probably would be a pretty good flag football player, but they had guys like Kyle Yuschek out there. If I'm casting a flag football team with NFL players, He's not even on the top three pages of names that I want. So you know, von Miller, Come on, these guys can't play flag football. I don't want Logan Paul on my team either. By the way, I want to knock somebody out I'm not gonna have Or is that Jake, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want any of the Palls anywhere near my sport. And look, they've turned themselves into good marketers and somewhat showmen and all that kind of stuff, But no, stay away from my field. I said this, and this this goes back a long way with me. Nineteen ninety nine, we took a group of I was living Jacksonville at the time. We took a group of Jacksonville all star high school basketball players over to Spain to play an international tournament teams from Greece, Turkey, Spain.
Speaker 1: But we were playing international.
Speaker 2: Rules different and trapizoil lane, trapezoid lane, euro steps all day. Our guys couldn't figure it out. Yeah, because they wanted to close. They wanted to go up to block a shot, and then all of a sudden the guy would slide under and lay one in, and we, I mean Mark, we couldn't figure it out. And finally in the game, we were playing the Greek team and they got out big on us.
Speaker 1: Well, we decided to press.
Speaker 2: Them because we were more athletic and bigger and longer, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And we got back in the game.
Speaker 2: We got back in a game, but because of the rules and point differni and all that, we had to win the game by six. So even though we were up three, we kept pressing when they got a couple of easy baskets end up beating us. But either way, I remember coming back from that thinking, this is it's a different game.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's a different game.
Speaker 2: High school basketball, college basketball, pro basketball fairly similar. International basketball is so incredibly different. And I remember thinking about that when we were talking about the flag football stuff, like it's.
Speaker 1: A different game, so different.
Speaker 2: And just like with Dream Team back in nineteen ninety two, these many years ago, go they had to play together, they had to figure out the international rules, they had to be on a team for longer than just the two weeks it took to lead up, which is what they had been doing. And then when they started kind of falling off the twenty and eight team, Mike Krzyzewski had them commit for a couple of years so that they could play together, they could learn the international game. And now the international game in the pro game have started.
Speaker 3: To blur a little bit, sure, because the international players have gotten so much better. They were influenced heavily by the Dream Team. They up their games everywhere around the globe and it evens things out a little bit, right, Right.
Speaker 2: You're playing a similar game. Flag football and NFL football aren't even.
Speaker 3: Close to use a football that's a similarity, right, Like you said, if.
Speaker 2: You came up with the right group of guys, guys that change direction like JSN.
Speaker 1: We'll get to him in just a second.
Speaker 2: You had guys that you know that were like Tyreek, you know, tank, a healthy tank, you know those kind of players.
Speaker 1: Twitch, twitch, Kyler Murray's guy.
Speaker 3: Kyler Murray would be my choice in the quarterback exactly because he's got all the twitch in the world, world class twitch can throw the ball and I know as an NFL quarterback, you might think differently, but as a flag football quarterback, he's my guy. But as you notice, Team USA, if you watch the thing and it's up on YouTube, you can watch these games. Hush, who's Daryl dus said, is not even really the quarterback. He's a throwback. He's a running back who throws. And the other guy, I forget his name, Cicero's something. He can throw it, but he can also run with it. So they do so many different things to space the field, and you just have to practice and play this wart and.
Speaker 1: Be dedicated to it. Johnny.
Speaker 3: If I'm an NFL owner, I don't want any part of this for my players. I really don't use former players or guys on the fringe who are still going out, like after the Olympics they can try out again or something like that. They're looking for a team, maybe something of that nature. But there are plenty of great athletes in this country to play flag football, including the ones on Team Team USA right now, and that's probably enough to win you a gold. Just go with that and enjoy the games and let NFL football be what it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely one thousand percent agree. I will say we were talking about NCAA tournament. We were in here Friday. We were getting ready to record what you could see on YouTube. It's basically a free agent prime, like an offseason prime, what the Texans.
Speaker 1: Have done thus far.
Speaker 2: In nine minutes, we give you everything that's happened and how it impacts this team going forward. It's fantastic. Go check out on your YouTube, go to our Houston Texas page. You'll see Mark and I breaking down free agency like none other.
Speaker 1: We gave you all that. Well, we were about to.
Speaker 2: Start filming that on Friday and Santa Clair and Kentucky had an all time or ending in regulation.
Speaker 1: You, me and Will.
Speaker 2: Will was down here shooting, and we were all three just running around watching this game.
Speaker 1: It was unbelieved.
Speaker 2: There were some endings like that, but for the most part, teams came to do work. Kog's dominant duke dominant. There were teams that came to do work. But I thought about you and and Dre in this sense we've been doing games together.
Speaker 1: Now this will be this will be my thirteenth year.
Speaker 2: You guys are called everyone from the beginning, and I've always wondered, I dream about, like, what's it gonna be standing on that field hearing you and my you and Dre in my ears, and we're going to the AFC Championship game. I thought about that. Camp Pavelka has been doing Nebraska games football and basketball for forty one years.
Speaker 1: And they had never forty tournament game.
Speaker 2: They've never won a tournament game, never won a tournament game game. So in the first round, and I'm trying to remember, I can't remember who, off the top of my head who they beat, but they knocked down three after three, after three after three, and it was the first it was the first game they had won.
Speaker 1: And so bake up in the booth.
Speaker 2: Aaron, our engineer, Aaron Raybold has a camera on you and Dre and Robert sits in between you guys, and so you can see some of the great moments that happened and you calling them from the booth and what's that like and the celebration in the booth and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So somebody was recording it. The end his reaction and he wears.
Speaker 2: His bow tie and he's got his he's got his quarter zip and everything, and he is he's going through it, you can tell.
Speaker 1: And he's whole, like he's holding it together. But just bear right.
Speaker 2: So they play on Saturday, and on Saturday they played Vanderbilt in one of the craziest endings you're gonna ever see. Vanderbilt misses a shot, kind of a crazy Tyler Tanne the point guard, throws it inside. Chandler Bing catches it. Yes, Chandler Bing not named after their friend's character. Chandler Bing catches it in the air. But he's got to get it off because on like three seconds on shot like so he catches on the run and shoots, misses. Nebraska comes down, kid makes a left handed layup. It's seventy four to seventy two. Van he's got one time out to call it two point two. They throw the ball at Tyler Tanner and he's beyond half court and launches and goes. And this is what's always weird to be because when a ball goes off the glass from that far out, the ball goes off the glass, it hits the rim once and gone. This thing goes off glass, it's halfway down and pops out, pops out, and Nebraska wins. And so the game is over. Everybody's celebrating in every Cornhusker player walks over and hugs and celebrates with.
Speaker 1: Kent Pavelka at mid.
Speaker 2: Court, and I just was like, I am doing everything possible to keep together. I'm like, I, oh my god, it was the coolest. I mean, they're hugging him. Two guys are hugging him. I mean, guys are slapping fives with the fans, and then they turn around and see him and they give him a great, big bear h I'm like, it is the coolest thing.
Speaker 1: Forty one years and now.
Speaker 2: They will be here the Corn Bowl right here, the Corn Classic twenty twenty six. I would Nebraska taking all. I mean, what a weekend is gonna be in Houston. You got the Astros Opening Day coming up, got the It's not Shell.
Speaker 1: Houstope anymore, No, it's Houston Open. I think it does have a sponsor.
Speaker 2: But go on, Shell the Houst Open and you've got the uh Sweet sixteen and the Elite eight featuring Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and hometown Houston. You think I'm telling you right now, that's the toughest ticket to get in town maybe ever with the Koogs, with the corn Huskers, the Huskers will show up, will travel way, they will Indiana football this thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right, They're gonna stay everywhere, aren't.
Speaker 2: They were playing in Oklahoma City, they were playing I think it was Oklahoma City.
Speaker 1: Is that where it was? I think it was. And it was a home game, see of Red. It was a home game Nebraska environment, and that building was unbelievable. Mark, it was incredible. I was incredible.
Speaker 3: The only year I went to the College World Series at the old Rosenblatt Stadium in two thousand and one with the Hurricanes and we won it that year, Nebraska was there. We didn't play, oh, I bet, but Nebraska was there, and I think they had never been either that or they had never won that. I think they had never been.
Speaker 1: Johnny, Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: And there was tailgating like you wouldn't believe for a baseball game. They didn't know how to handle it because it was tailgates everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was like a football game. And then they cheered everything.
Speaker 3: If there was a sack bunt, it was it was like touchdown, turner gill.
Speaker 1: You know, it was huge anything. Yeah, they were ready for anything.
Speaker 3: And they didn't win, obviously, but it was a tremendous atmosphere. So schools like that when they're in a sport where they're not normally good or that great, they show up.
Speaker 2: They've got the bug. Yeah, and the footballs. Those three teams all travel. Illinois will two Illinois, I went to Nebraska. Will all travel. And then you've got obviously the Kougs playing at home. What a great night for downtown Houston. Oh my god, it is great weekend Unblialia.
Speaker 1: Oh it's good. Hotel rooms everywhere filled.
Speaker 2: It's it's going to be along with the golf tournament with I mean opening Day. I saw a Nebraska fan and he said, I can't remember what he said. I think it's Thursday, they play Nebraska. He said he would go to Opening Day at three. I think he said he would go. He said he was going downtown somewhere for something, then Opening Day at three and then walking over and watching Iowa Nebraska play in the Corn Classic. That's why I'm calling it the Corn Classic twenty twenty seven day. That's unbelievable in Illinois. Houston is gonna be. I know, Houston's hot. I mean, Houston was unbelievable against A and M. I mean at one point, I can't remember where it was, like eighteen thirteen, twenty fourth something like that, and then all of a sudden, the Koogs went, uh yeah, we're ready and then went on like a twenty four to three run and it was Donzo absolutely done.
Speaker 3: So okay, a way, the weather this week outstanding. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be great. They're gonna love that. I know we need some rain, but not yet. Hold on, you're gonna see a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're gonna see every one of those fan bases all week long. I WOA Nebraska, Illinois and Houston. You're gonna all all week long. It's gonna be phenomenal. Not to bet you Astros kicking it off this this week as well, and then the golf tournament starting Thursday.
Speaker 1: I had to go back.
Speaker 2: I didn't start getting ready for golf, so I watched on Sunday morning when I got up, I watched the fifty five minute twenty twenty five Masters, like what would you call highlight show?
Speaker 1: And I forgot how.
Speaker 2: I forgot a that Rory won it and that was his first b how Rory won it, which was amazing.
Speaker 3: We go over this again quick well, he had had the lead, a big lead going and then drops Justin.
Speaker 2: Rose came out and kind of came out of nowhere kind of forts and on the last hole, Rory bogies, yeh, he's gotta whose Birdie or par Bogies and they got to go to an indititional hole. His approach shot he hits within like five feet, yeah, at ten and and just that was it and he ends up winning it with that. So it was I mean, it's a highlight. Just so you got all the good feelings and everything that, you know. It was crazy seeing him, you know, celebrate with his his dog.
Speaker 3: I pull for him now because he tried to save the tour. He did, and the tour is gonna make it. I mean we didn't. We didn't think they were not gonna make it. But to get Kopka back as big others, they'll get more guys back as time does.
Speaker 1: Bryce will come back.
Speaker 2: And that was one of the things I forgot that Rory and Bryson were teamed together on the final day and Bryson sort of melted.
Speaker 1: You got damn corner in his prayers and so he was in trouble.
Speaker 2: Okay, you mentioned a little bit earlier, and I didn't want you to steal our thunder. It's sizzle fire Todd. Yeah, it's time for the hot takes. Now, I come up with the hot takes? Did you send me? Went over the weekend from you? And I said it was like ten sizzle fires. Wait, well I can't remember what you remember. Yeah, I gotta make sure it's something that I can't say.
Speaker 1: Or what it was. But I was like, are you crazy?
Speaker 2: That's oh no, we can't say this one on the air. But the Texans do you have a number one wide receiver?
Speaker 1: So hot take sizzlefires. So here's what we do.
Speaker 2: There are hot takes of plenty throughout sports, and we'll try and keep this one to football for the most part. Okay, but there are hot takes of plenty out there, some by some people, some for others, some I will create myself, okay, And you will again assess that hot take with number of sizzle fires. One meaning that that's that's not really a hot take. That's pretty much right on point. It's true. Five sizzle fires means I have gone conspiracy theorists. It's the dumbest thing ever. There's no chance it is not happening. But I'm gonna start with an easy one. This one, this one's mine, and it also allows us to kind of combine some of the around the NFL news too. Woke up this morning to the news that Jackson Smith Injigbas signed the largest contract for a wide receiver in the NFL. Here's my hot take, not even based on the money. JSN was the best player that we saw last year.
Speaker 1: Player NFL play.
Speaker 2: Jaysen was the best player that we faced last year. Now, as you think about that, we did face the MVP, Matt Stafford.
Speaker 1: We saw him in Week one.
Speaker 2: We did face Puka Nakua, we saw him, both of them in Week one. We saw Jaysn. Week eight on a Monday night, Bakers. Yeah, we saw Bakers. We saw Josh Allen. We end up seeing Drake May.
Speaker 3: I'll give it a one sizzle fire Johnny. Okay, I think that's a good take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Jysn gave us problems. We know how good this secondary is. This defense. I think the Texans coming off the bye playing the late night game didn't help.
Speaker 1: But no excuses.
Speaker 3: You know, there's sometimes instances where this team in the last three years hasn't dealt well with a weird scheduling arrangement, and that was one of them. You would think you'd be fully arrested, ready to go.
Speaker 1: And they were.
Speaker 3: But I think they were almost rusty in that one defensive league.
Speaker 1: And the Seahawks are really good.
Speaker 3: We know that they won the Super Bowl, so that combination, you know, the NFL is a fine line. You're not quite on top of your game, they are, and you didn't handle it well, and voila. You came up with JSN having a big game. And I don't think that's a hot take at all. You handled Matthew Stafford really well. Stafford might be the better player that you faced all year.
Speaker 1: Slightly.
Speaker 3: He's a quarterback, you know, apples and oranges quarterbacks to wide receivers. But the Texans dealt with Stafford very well, and they forced a turnover on that final Rams drive to get the ball back and turn it over, and then the Rams ran out the clock. So I think that Jayassent take is good. Other losses the Texans had, gosh, Johnny, they won ten in a row, including the playoff game. You know what game I was going over, not to get two tangenty tangent e, but the forty nine er game because I was going over some air check stuff. I'm trying to come up with something to play for business ops and sales and everything here. And the opening of that game, Texans are two and four, Niners are five two, and the Niners have something going on. They're banged up, but they've been playing well despite that. And the Texans are without Nico Collins and Christian Kirk. So how are they going to get this done today? Coming off the loss to Seattle on a short week, over three hundred yards for CJ. Strad two touchdowns and they ran for a buck fifty plus. That's how they dealt with it. The Houston Texans. I mean, we had some games this year that people forget about that were really good performances by the quarterback and the offense. And I know they didn't finish enough drives whatever, they scored twenty six points.
Speaker 1: Guess what, it was enough, So.
Speaker 3: You got to play like that next year and then some Anyway, I think it's a good take. JSN best player of the Texans faced all year.
Speaker 1: Yes, bringing up that forty nine Ers game.
Speaker 2: If somebody had been out of the country flew back in some the Texans were twelve and five, won a playoff game, et cetera, and they said, Hey, which game should I go watch to see get the essence of the twenty twenty five Texans.
Speaker 1: I would tell them that forty nine Ers game. Really, no need go No.
Speaker 2: Christian Kirk, Jared Wayne's got to play, Braxton Barris has got to play ce Jazz's best game Wood. He had a solid game. The defense was phenomenal. Really gave McCaffrey nothing other than George Kittle making one hell of a catching the end zone.
Speaker 1: Right before half. Yep, that was it. That was all they got.
Speaker 2: I would say I would take that and go this is a divisional playoff team in the forty nine Ers, yep, and they came to our house and they got They got trounced. The score may not have said it, but they got absolutely trounced. I would put that game. This is the one. This is the one that you want to watch to see the complete Texas from twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, I like Kansas City too, because, yeah, it shows you the struggles third quarter offense, fourth straight three announces that what it was. Yeah, but then the offense wakes up in time to get the job done. In the defense eats Holmes three picks for the first time in three years. Phenomenal performance all the way around when you consider road Kansas City's last stand to get something going before they were going to slide out of control. So I like that one too, But I know that's not the topic anyway. Next sizzle fire evaluation, Well, I'm glad you brought up the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Okay, The Kansas City Chiefs have signed Travis kelce to.
Speaker 1: A three year, fifty four point seven million dollars deal.
Speaker 2: Now I am not privy to the information to see of that, what's guaranteed, et cetera. My hot take is that's stupid. Give it the sizzle fires.
Speaker 1: So your take, not the corr. My take is it stupid. I would say that's.
Speaker 3: Two point seventy five maybe two and a half, okay, because it is Travis kelce And until further notice, let's just say Travis Kelcey retires right now, Johnny, what would you have to say about the Chiefs. Don't you feel like you still need him around it, at least until you can for a year. Yes, I know, but maybe it all works out with the guaranteed money and they're able to kind of flush things away. And it's Travis Kelsey does the Lifetime Achievement Award contract, and you're rewarding him for being.
Speaker 1: The what is he the second greatest chief ever? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean right now as it stands at the moment, who's the great Look, who's.
Speaker 1: The greatest chief ever? Patrick Mahomes. Okay, it's Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Until people retire, Let's let's just say active players are discluding.
Speaker 1: I guess so Len Dawson, Len Dawson, Yeah, Len Dawson, Len Dawson. Super Bowl, Gonzales, len Dawson won, Gonzales.
Speaker 3: He's still the all time leader at tight end receptions, right or is it witting?
Speaker 1: He's right up there right. The Gonzales was amazing.
Speaker 3: It's that I never really felt Gonzales because he never did it in a postseason, right, you know, masterpiece performance.
Speaker 2: It always felt like Sharif abdu Raheem rip Sharif abdu Raheem was putting up twenty but nobody cares because it was for the Vancouver Grizzlies, right, Atlanta Hawks when they weren't going well. It was like he go get you buckets. It's like Bradley Beal, Bradley Beale, go get you buckets. You know, but it was for teams that just weren't going we're doing anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gonzales was really great when he could You imagine him with the Patriots or you know, a team brought a really good quarterback, you put him on the Colts, you put him on the Saints when Breeze was there. Gosh, it's elevated Kelsey. If Kelsey's not with Mahomes, we're saying Kelsey's great, but he's more like George Kittle great rather than Travis Kelsey great. I agreed, agree against Taylor Swift and it goes to the stratosphere as far as the TVQ rating.
Speaker 1: I see, I see your sizzle fire, I get it.
Speaker 3: I want Trav if I'm a chief now, I don't want to see him around. I want him to retire because maybe I'll start liking him if he retires, you know, like I liked Peyton Manning.
Speaker 1: Now and I like Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Like Tom Brady, but I hated them like poison when they were players, Yes, because they were the enemy. I want Travis Kelsey to stop being the enemy and start being a retired guy that I can say, Okay, he's.
Speaker 1: Kind of I like, I like that thought process. I like that thought process.
Speaker 2: Okay, this one comes from Dan or Oh jeez, and I quote I think ty Simpson is QB one in this draft.
Speaker 3: All right, that's going to live with him for a long time. Right now, it looks like for sizzelefire's minimum because Mendoza is the guy, and he's the flavor of the year, not just the month.
Speaker 1: It's Fernando Mendoza.
Speaker 3: Now, it could end up that ty Simpson goes to a team that's a lot better than the Raiders and somehow works his way into the lineup and boila, we've got a situation.
Speaker 1: Starter gets hurt. Maybe he's that good. Who knows.
Speaker 3: Once upon a time, Russell Wilson was a third round draft choice who beat out a free agent named Matt Flynn, who was there with big money on the table of.
Speaker 1: Seattle, and they said, we got to go with the better guy.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that's ty Simpson, but stranger things have happened in this league, and it maybe doesn't happen right away. So is Orlowski right If in year three Simpson is doing well and going to the playoffs and maybe not Greape but good and Mendoza turns into nothing ish for THELA or Las Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 3: You know, I am more likely to say LA Raiders, I mean than Oakland Raiders.
Speaker 1: I am too. I do that a lot at Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: I kind of came of age football wise with the Raiders in LA, even though I knew the Oakland thing, of course, and they went back to Oakland. But I still feel like, say in LA sometimes they're an LA team anyway, They're still their preseason games are still in the air in Los Angeles. That believe me, they pay good money to get that done. I know this for a fact.
Speaker 1: The Athletic did their mock draft.
Speaker 2: As we move on to another one, okay, number twenty eight they have chosen. Mike Jones has chosen for the Texans, Blake Miller off. It's to tackle from Clemson. Here's my hot take. I don't believe the Texans are going to take an offensive line and it picked number twenty eight.
Speaker 1: How hot is that hot take?
Speaker 3: I think that's only a one and a half at this point. I do believe they will take two linemen in the first four rounds. So I got to go into Saturday with this prediction, which is not really going out on a big limb, but to not take one in the first round, I think is very understandable because Nick could look at it and say, there's nobody worth this pick right here, and I feel like there are a few guys that are definite second rounders and we can get two picks that.
Speaker 1: Let's just wait, thank you, We'll wait till Friday, will get our guy.
Speaker 3: It will trade up if we really feel like we have to going into Friday night or on Friday night to move up and get the player or players that we want, but late in the first round.
Speaker 1: Listen, there's a lot of talk around here about the draft party. What do we do? What have we decided yet? What do we do?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We're still looking at the pride look at it like this. I know all you and I have the idea of doing it Friday. No matter what, I can guarantee ninety nine point nine percent will be picks Friday night, no matter what happens in the first ye absolutely will be picks on Friday Night.
Speaker 1: Nick Nick. Nick even says I gotta pick at some point, right, He's not trading out of rounds two and three, there will be picks Friday night.
Speaker 3: We'll have multiple picks Friday night for a happier draft party of Friday night than a Thursday night where they might not draft. But I do think this. I don't think Nick trades out of the first round if he does until that night. Yeah, so we're gonna go through what we went through last year, hopefully without the thunderstorm.
Speaker 1: But we'll go through what we went through last year, which is waiting, waiting, waiting.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden he's out and see a Friday everybody, and.
Speaker 1: Then we'll have a fun Friday night. Yeah, we will have a fun Friday night.
Speaker 2: I first of all, I mean maybe the Texas draft Blake Miller or not. I'm I'm not a fan of him at twenty eight. Probably wouldn't be a fan until sixty something whatever. But that's maybe for a different discussion. But I've thought through this thing backwards and forwards, and when they put a tackle there that almost made little That made little sense to me because you've got to ursera left tackle. You just haven't got Braden Smith. Oh what if Braidon gets hurt? That's why you signed Trent and you still have Blake Fisher. I think you've got your four tackles. Now you're gonna have to have some depth during camp. Guys are gonna get banged up and they can't take every single rep.
Speaker 3: But that's when George the second comes back exactly. Not a high draft yet, George fan meaning a pronoun here of a player who might be available, who might be able to help.
Speaker 2: You out right, And there's gonna be you know, Jarek Kingston is gonna get some time at tackle right there, and he's he was resigned.
Speaker 1: So I feel like tackle is okay, you know, is it?
Speaker 2: You know Trent Williams on one side and Lane Johnson and the other. No, we're not there yet, but I feel like you've got enough resources that tackle to feel good about it.
Speaker 1: If anyboding draft Charlie Heck the second.
Speaker 2: Right, which Charlie didn't go till day three, which I could see them taking a tackle on day three, serviceable right, Blake Miller that said, I could see them taking a guard, And I thought this was interesting. When I did my my my three round mock at football takeover dot Com, I had the Texans at that point drafting a guard Chase Pisantis.
Speaker 1: Now, I love everything about Chase. He's from New Jersey.
Speaker 2: It Scott, some nasty enemy played started his career tackle move to guard. Everything you like about him. He's agile, good hands, good run blocker. I think you could be a really good pass protector as well. I really like Chase Pisantis. So that was my That was my pick at twenty eight to take a guard. I still think even with Wyatt Teller here, even with resigning at Ingram, I still feel like at guard you might you might be a guy short, and that might be the perfect opportunity at that point to take a guard. And I also feel like the guards are more plentiful in this draft. I like the guards a lot more than I like to tackle.
Speaker 3: As I think about it, how many sicel fiers did I give you for saying no offensive lineman the first round that hot take?
Speaker 1: You gave me at least four?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I thought it was I thought it was like, okay, I can go with that one and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now I want to up the sizzle fire count, Johnny, because as I think about it, and I mentioned this briefly last week, Nick's doing it to us again.
Speaker 1: He signs these veterans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he drafts underneath or over them, whatever you want to call it, alongside them and says, go fight it out. We'll see how the wash comes out during training camp. No, look, why Teller's gonna play. But you want to catch lightning in a bottle maybe, and you gotta go relatively high to do that, so you can't eliminate the first round. I still won't up until more than more than two sizzlefires.
Speaker 2: But in my in my second mock, it's not gonna be an offensive line. It's not definitely not gonna be a tackle. I can promise that. It's not gonna be a center. It's little hyphens. Why are you doing that? By the way, Vandermock three point zero comes out this week? Oh nice, we could talk about that. Oh yeah, my mock will probably come out because I'll do a three rounder. It probably come out early next week. I'm working on getting my one hundred, uh so i'd be out there. But I thought it was interesting because I had them taking Chase Pasontis and my first mock, which was back in early February. Daniel Jeremiah's most recent mockus who had at twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh Chase Best, there you go. Yeah, so nothing that Johnny Harris stuff. Believe me. You know it was interesting. You remember who I also had going number thirty two to the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 2: You remember that because I said they were gonna lose Kenneth Walker and Genarian Price. You know he had going number thirty two to the Seattle Seahawks. Zarion Price.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I'm not saying this is plagiarism, because I know it's not. I know there's only so many players at all around, and it's exactly if it's logic driven, that's exactly right, simple logic driven, like they need somebody.
Speaker 1: But I can guarantee you this.
Speaker 3: I don't even have to look every draft guy like Jeremiah, all those draft guys out there, Kuyper, they're.
Speaker 1: All reading the other mocks of people they respect.
Speaker 3: They're all reading they want to see what the other guys are thinking because they want to gauge.
Speaker 1: Am I crazy? That's right? At least there's multiple crazy people.
Speaker 3: If I'm crazy thinking the same thing or something similar, Am I nuts?
Speaker 1: When I go to do my mock.
Speaker 2: I mean there's certain people for particular teams I go I'll go look at to see what they're saying, what they're thinking their draft needs are. Now, I won't look at who they've taken, but the needs. But I'll look at the needs and what they're thinking about.
Speaker 3: Good point because no matter how well you know the league. And I listened to serious x MNFL radio, those guys pack Kurwin knows things pretty well. He does, and I still don't know what happened to Jim Miller, by the way, but pack Kerwin knows things well. But some of those guys don't know them as well. And you listen to them talking about other teams, and the way you know, and listeners of this show will know. The way you know is when they're talking about your team. You know what's real or at least what's real enough, right, And then you hear their take any national media member and you think, oh, they don't really know us, they don't really know us.
Speaker 1: They know us at all.
Speaker 2: But I could see of all those and I it's funny because I've been thinking about and doing my second mock.
Speaker 1: I'm like, where am I? Where am I going with this pig?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like it could be a guard and I'd be okay with that, I think center is a little too early. I think thirty eight you can get a center and maybe get the number one center, and I think center will be different for everybody. But I think there are some definite names at center. But I feel like it's that one's gonna be tough. I'm gonna kind of let it play out and see. What I have to make sure I do is put logic behind it, so I don't just put Kenyon Sadik at twenty eight and then that's what I did.
Speaker 1: It's is always sometimes.
Speaker 2: I would love Kenyon Sadig all right. I love a lot of people. I love the NFL. There's plenty of news I mentioned earlier. Jas San's got a new contract. How big is it? It's big, It's real big and he deserves it. Talk about that and then some around the NFL. Next right here in Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: Here we go Happy Monday, everybody. It's a beautiful night.
Speaker 2: So it's just great wherever you are, especially for the city of Houston. I'm your host the season for Texans All Access, John Harris Football and All Sideline reporter and not a fan of Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, any of them. But I'm really excited for them to come to town for this South Regional this weekend.
Speaker 1: It is going to be fabulous.
Speaker 2: Those fan bases all travel extremely well. And then of course you got the Kooks in their hometown looking to make another Final Four.
Speaker 1: Made it last year, fell short to Florida.
Speaker 2: Will not get a shot at revenge because Florida got Iowa and market I was so funny weird studio today and Mark was like, man, did you see that last play for Iowa that scored a three point bucket?
Speaker 1: Man, Florida played horrible defense. Be'st basketball.
Speaker 2: We won't worry about that for the time being, but we gotta go on the NFL. We mentioned earlier at JSN is going to be the top paid wide receiver in the NFL by how much?
Speaker 1: What are the numbers?
Speaker 2: You can look obviously at different people's accounts of what they all mean, but basically, on an average annual average value basis, he will get forty two point one point five million dollars per year in new money. That moves past Jamar Chase, who is making forty and a quarter million four years, one hundred and sixty eight point six million dollar contract extension one hundred and twenty million guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Yuh me, Wow, that is a lot of cash.
Speaker 2: But as I said in the first segment, and I through the hot take at Mark, this is a hot take, I actually believe and I agree with Mark wholeheartedly. When you think about the players the Texas faced last year in twenty twenty five, that first game of the year, we got Matt Stafford and Puka Nakua.
Speaker 1: Puka was awesome in that game. I mean awesome.
Speaker 2: We try to knock him out, I mean he was bleeding all over the place, came back in as he get ten catches.
Speaker 1: He was outstanding.
Speaker 2: He and JSN, and I think JSN was the best that we saw. JSN was incredible. He was absolutely amazing that night. Got a little dust up on the sideline as well. He's got some Texas toughness. I just think, Jess, I think the world is JSN. And I know there are a lot of people that at some point CEJSN are like, oh man, we could add JSN if we just stay at number twelve instead going up and getting Will et cetera, et cetera. Yeah, but we went have Will Anderson. So I like what we have. But I have the utmost respect for jsn I. Dude is a baller. He can do anything on a football field. He plays through through injury places for being hurt. He's as tough as hell, and he was tremendous seventeen hundred and ninety three receiving yards averaged, fifteen point one yards per catch at one hundred nineteen receptions, and ten tuddies me to touchdown. Sorry, Sean and Seth. He's Mason first team All Pro in the right year to be first team All Pro. But keep in mind the sale Seahawks trade away DK Metcalf, and they're trading away DK Metcalf, You're like, okay, well got eat somebody.
Speaker 1: So he wented.
Speaker 2: They got Cooper Cup. It's great they drafted Elijah Arroyo. But in a grand scheme of things, those guys did well. But jays Sen was a straw that started drink. I think he was the best player we saw last year. It was pretty pretty amazing, to be honest with you. A former Texan said that he is open to reuniting with a former quarterback.
Speaker 1: That would be DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 2: The former quarterback Kyler Murray said that DeAndre Hopkins he talked to TMZ was out for Tom Brady's flag football contest. He made an incredible catch, which Hop does. He said, Kyler, that's my bro man. Kyler's like family. I talked to Kyler throughout the year. Last year, I talked to Kyler after his situation in Arizona. Kyler's like family man, and I would would always embrace that journey with him. He's in a one year deal. If I'm not mistaken, whatever I can do for someone like that. If Kyler needed me, the Vikings need me, they know I'll be there. Justin Jefferson, the Vikings got one of the best receivers in the game, but Hop knows he is a piece that could help the Vikings. He said, and I quote even further, I just want to be around good people man that love the game. Just be able to give some knowledge if I can, to some young players. I've played this game thirteen seasons, so I think it's a blessing to be able to see other guys grow and help their development. That is going to be one of the most talked about stories this offseason is how that goes with Kyler Murray, JJ McCarthy and Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota. Jalen Naylor took money to leave off the top of my head. I'm just I'm blanking. Oh, Naylor went to the Raiders. He went to the Raiders, so he's gonna be out with the Raiders. Ought Naylor is one of the top number threes in the league, so he goes. Maybe Hop steps in Addison Jefferson Hopkins, Hockinson getting the ball from Kyler Murray or JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could work. Could work.
Speaker 2: Kevin O'Connell's gonna have to try and make that work. So we'll see what they do. But Hop said he's open to reuniting with Kyler in Minnesota. He did say he learned a lot about zone coverage from Bill O'Brien, which I heard that interview, and of course you couldn't see Hop's tongue lodged in cheek. There's a little sarcasm there. But either way, if you know Hop, you know what that is. The Fanatics Flag Football contest this weekend. If you missed it, Team USA dominated. Pick Six's Darryl Ducett just went off. I mean it was it was really not even close. Mark and I talked about this a little bit. Jalen Hurts threw a pick six, but they picked everybody. Team USA was just they were fabulous. Tom Brady looked okay for a guy that's forty day forty seven. I don't know what he is right now, but he had the couple. He had a nice throw in the ends. I can't remember who threw it. Maybe Steph Stefan Digsy threw that too. So uh yeah, Team USA was absolutely fantastic. I mean, they were amazing Texans News. I guess, if you want to call it, this looks like there're gonna be some number changes coming. At least that's what's been teased by our social media department. Earlier today they put one out that said Tank that will move to number one. I think we knew that as soon as I knew that was happening, and I, in fact, I went all the way back back to last year when Stefan Diggs got hurt and it looked like he wasn't coming back. I told Mark, I said, Tank's going to number one, and Kamara last is gonna go back to number three. He's known as K three for a reason. So if Tank's leaving three, Kamar is gonna take three, Tank's gonna take number one. Red Blanket Ship's gonna wear number six. David Montgomer's gonna wear number thirty two. And I'll bring those two up because Blanket Ship wore thirty two in Philly, Dave Montgomery wore five in Detroit, but then he wore thirty two in college. You were thirty two Chicago, and I was gonna wear thirty two again with the Texans. So a few number changes as it sits right now. Tank Dell going number one, Kamari Lasser going number three, Read Blanket Ship six, Dave Montgomery thirty two. And that's all I know about numbers, And trust me, I've thought about this because some of the offensive line are gonna have to change number two. So we'll wait to see what that's all about. Speaking of Reblanket Ship, he's gonna join us next right here on Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: What's happened? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to this one of this year at Texans All Access from the Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. It's time to catch up with Read Blanket Ship sat down Mark vander Meer's great stuff. If you missed it, well we got it for you right here.
Speaker 3: Read your reaction to joining the Houston Texans organization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was juiced. I was able to talk to Demiko before it all went down. I guess that's a new thing they could do. And just hearing his words, just hearing that, I feel like he's more of a player coach, and and that's what I wanted.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I love.
Speaker 4: That's what I love, and in my age is like, you know, the Texans are really pursuing you, and I really like that. That was honestly one of the last teams I would think to pursue me because they had like a great defense. And but obviously coming here, man, I'm I'm so so thankful, so so happy.
Speaker 3: You're not fully embedded into the culture yet. But you said you talked to the micro Ryans and you were also part of a great culture in Philadelphia obviously, So how do you feel about that part of it? Jumping into this phrase as far as the culture and everything.
Speaker 1: Else goes, Yeah, I feel great.
Speaker 4: I feel like their culture kind of, you know, was running parallel with the one in Philly, but I just want to want to step in, don't want to step in on anybody's So just continue what they're what they're doing and what they're building. I feel like they're building towards the right way, the right direction, and uh, you know, we're just here to have fun.
Speaker 1: What makes a great defense read when.
Speaker 3: You look at it, not only playing well on the field, but off the field, being tight together.
Speaker 1: How important is that? How do you look at it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like you said, it's not just on the field, it's definitely off the field. You got to spend time with your guys, your dB group, your your linebacker room, your D line. Like I used to call it as like a as a marriage, Like everybody has to be involved. Everybody has to contribute to this relationship. And once you all get involved and start clicking on the same cylinders, I mean pretty much unstoppable.
Speaker 3: Fans have obviously seen you play, but take us inside a little bit more. What kind of player are the Houston Texans getting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're they're getting a player that loves the game of the football. I've said that from when I started playing in high school to college that no matter what, I'm not going to lose the love of the game. I love it with all my heart. I lay my body online for it. Especially for my teammates. You know, they're very important to me because I know they're going to this exact same thing. So they're getting a player that loves to play football and a guy that studies the game really well and has IQ to communicate and get guys lined up.
Speaker 3: How about the hunger you have as a player from a young age playing in Alabama, going to Middle Tennessee, getting into the league undrafted, You've had to fight for everything?
Speaker 1: Read how and why is that?
Speaker 4: That's just how it rolls. That's how life rolls. And you know the saying once if life gives you limits and make lemonade. And I feel like I've been doing that at each level of my career. And I'm thankful and blessed that I have people into my corner, you know, my family, my wife, to continue that and to keep me humble and continuing my career here.
Speaker 3: So well, you talked about what makes you really good as a player. What about a safety in general? What are we looking at here? What is a great safety? And I know there are different kinds of safeties.
Speaker 4: There is just the first thing. Don't let anything get behind you. First off, Second off. Obviously the communication part. I feel like the safety is the quarterback of the defense. And you know, sometimes people think the mic linebacker is, which I he can be at times, but I mean safety has a lot of communications. They can talk to the d line at times. Some d NS linebackers. You got to talk to your corner across the field, so you got to direct traffic and become that air traffic control type guy. So, uh, I believe that safety is a pretty hard position to play because if things happen, you're the last guy there and they're gonna blame you. But uh, you know that's that's just part of it. But like I said, we just get guys lined up and then play hard.
Speaker 3: You've been an important part of a championship team and that's what we're trying to create here in Houston. And you talked about what makes a great defense and everything, what makes a great secondary and safety? What about the whole team and accomplishing the ultimate goal?
Speaker 1: What's important about that?
Speaker 4: I mean everybody has to be bought in, you know, from day one, OTA's you have to be bought in there. You can't really be missing. Guy's got to show up to and show the little details matter. We preached out a lot, and I'm sure that to me, Go preaches that too here, that the little details matter the most and you can't skip out on those. And if you skip out on those, then that can mean between winning and losing. So and like I said, the relationships in the locker room, like defense has relationships, but it's also an offense. You gotta be a whole family. You gotta be combined together. You got to do everything together, and we all go through the tough things together. So you know, why not strive to be the best.
Speaker 1: What do you know about Houston? What are your impressions?
Speaker 3: I know that we're just getting started here, but tell us about your impressions of h town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean don't really know much about Houston. I've played here once and that was in I Guess twenty twenty two. I played here once but didn't get to see the city. I'm a Southern guy at heart, so coming down here seeing obviously the rodeo and the livestock and everything, it feels like home. And the weather down here is so nice. So first impressions really love it. I'm sure as time goes on, I will fall in love with it even more.
Speaker 3: You've been part of a great defense, and this defense is so close to be number one in all categories. And he probably didn't have much time to watch it, but you know a.
Speaker 2: Lot about it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean watching the Texans defense when it pops up on the screen, it's just you know, you got guys flying around. You know, you got a bunch of dogs on the defense, and you know, I take pride in flying around getting to the ball. And what's kind of been instilled in me is if you stop the camera and when you're watching watching film and you have nine to ten, maybe eleven guys all in that one picture, that's a really good defense. And regardless of what position you play, this corner can be on the other side of the field, but he's in that picture on that last clip of the play that shows that shows a great defense.
Speaker 2: Youre better stuff there from one of the newest Texans read blank and ship Baby. Yeah, it's gonna be fun watching the new number six, which makes me think he wore thirty two in Philly and now David Montgomery, I believe is wearing thirty two. Well, we got a lot of numbers, and we talked about that a little bit earlier, so believe read blank and ship gonna one number six for your Houston texts.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do. Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Being with me as always. We are one month from the draft. I got everything for you draftwise, football take over dot com. Come check it out Houston Texas dot com. We got all kinds of stuff up there. Check out our free agent video that we did on YouTube, just taking everything in the offseason, kind of putting it in one nine minute plus video so you guys, you know, hey, what happened with the Texas this offseason will boom. We got it for you. All the reaction to it on YouTube getting great response, so make sure you check that out. But mostly appreciate you guys as always. You guys are the best. You're the best fans in the NFL. You're the best supporters. Appreciate it. We'll see you
Speaker 1: Tomorrow as always, Go Texans.