Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I'm Stephen Carroll, and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg. Anybody who thinks central banking, especially if you're head of a central bank, is a delightful activity, let me disabuse you.
Speaker 2: It's torture.
Speaker 1: Everybody on Wall Street has wanted to ask you for four years. Since this is your last press conference, can you tell us which dot is yours?
Speaker 2: The answer is no, I've never been willing to reveal which dot is mine.
Speaker 1: It's appropriate sometimes to look through inflation if it's going to go away quickly without action by us, If it's transitory, central banker's words can move hundreds of billions of dollars in for rate setters. Communication is an art form. One slip up can spark massive market moves. So Kevin worsh wants a different approach under his leadership of the Federal Reserve. When all the financial markets are doing is reflecting back what we've said, then we're taking the most important source of information and we're being blind to it, but saying less about monetary policy. Goes against the trend of central banks globally. Here's why the Fed is saying less. Our Federal Reserve report around the current joins us now for more. And first of all, what is the general approach that central bankers take when it comes to talking about their policy decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, if you go back maybe thirty years Stephen, central bankers really went out of their way to say very little at all in terms of where policy and industrates were going. That's how they did business. Things change a lot in and around say that financial crisis time. We started to get more press conferences, more or speeches, a lot more communications, and indeed something called forward guidance entered a lexicon. This was the idea where central bankers started giving fairly strong signals in terms of where they think interest rates are headed in the months and in the years ahead. Now, in the years since, that has drawn criticism because, in the views of some people, there's now too much communication. There's over communication, you're complicating the outlook. Too many officials are giving speeches, there are too many ways of reading the tea leaves on digesting what the central blank plans to do. It all needs to be simplified and that's kind of the space we're in now with the Federal Reserve typically speaking every week, officials are out there giving speeches. They could be giving interviews, they could be doing podcasts, there could be communicating through other avenues like literature and the like. And with new FED Chairman Kevin Warsh, he's saying, listen, it's time to start thinking and saying that less is more. So fewer speeches, perhaps even fewer press conferences. He has set up this group to think about ways to improve and streamline the FED communications. But his overall approaches we need to slow down and just speak when we really have something to say.
Speaker 1: So tell us a bit more about why Kevin Worsh decided to make this change now.
Speaker 2: Well, look, there is a view, of course. On the one hand, there are those who advocate for transparency. The central Bank needs to communicate its policy. The public needs to understand what's going on, and of course that is the central role for the central bank. The issue is it can become a little bit confusing. There's a term now in the US FED speak, and that's when these officials are out every other day giving a speech, want to saying interest rate's going up? Want to saying inter rates staying stable. Maybe somebody else somewhere in that chain of command of the FED says something different, and the end result can be kind of a muddle picture in terms of where is policy headed over the months ahead. That's the critics view, and their point is that, look, there's really no business. There's no need for someone official to be speaking and communicating the way they are all the time. It just needs to be more refined, honed, hone that message down and just speak as a team when you have something to say. And I think that's where the pushback is against the current kind of FED approach.
Speaker 1: So does Kevin Worth have much control in this situation? Can he actually stop the other right setters from going out and talking about their thoughts on monetary policy.
Speaker 2: He's the chairman of the federers there, but really it operates on a kind of a consensus approach over there, Stephen, and he doesn't, in terms of being a boss or manager, have the authority to win and say you can't give a speech this week. He can't stop his fellow governors from doing that, for example, and he can't stop the regional FED presidents from doing that. But he can set the tone he can guide, he can say, listen, I think we're all speaking a bit too much at the moment. And by the way, the economy right now is in a complicated space. You have the energy story going on, you have this extraordinary AI boom, and truth no one quite knows how that is going to play out. You've lots of different issues going on with underlying inflation, the jobs markets suddenly stabilized. So it's all very confusing, and there probably is a case we made for right now saying less until people get a clearer picture and where things are headed. But nonetheless, the balance and all of this, Steven is trying to make sure there is transparency. These are public officials. The public does need to know what's going to be happening with the interest rates and their savings and their mortgage and everything else. Balancing that transparency with also, you know, not doing the overkill where the signal just becomes noise after a while.
Speaker 1: One of the consequences then at this change for investors who comb over all those words from central bankers very closely.
Speaker 2: So this is very tricky to get right. Steven, let me be clear, while I've tried to acknowledge both sides of this argument. I do want to say that the danger here, or the warning is that if you leave a void, something is going to fill the void in the absence of communication. Now it might be overwaiting one or two individual officials commentary in the policy making process, or could be markets happily obliging filling the gap themselves and deciding where they think interest rates are going, where they think markets are headed and policy is headed. And of course that's not necessarily a helpful thing for the FED because they Fed likes the guide markets in the direction they wanted to go. So it's very tricky stuff. You can argue the case, as we've just been discussing that perhaps it can be refined more and there really isn't a need to give a speech at every Chamber of Commerce in the country every second week of the year. They can argue that case. And by the way, there is a task force. One of those people leaving the task force as former Bank of England Governor Marvin King. They're looking at how to change up the Fed's communications. So you know, you can put all that on the table, but equally pulling off that balancing act is a tricky one given the years now of communication. You know, I don't think anyone's advocating rolling it back to where we wore, say, twenty thirty years ago, but even tweaking what we have at the moment is certainly going to take a while for everyone to adjust to.
Speaker 1: Is this something that other central bank could choose to follow the FED in?
Speaker 2: Well, you could say that the FED was the standard bearer globally for leading the way in terms of you know, setting out the soul and in terms of communications, the rotation of speeches, the publication of minutes. It's not that other central banks weren't taking similar steps, but the FED is the world's most important central bank, and it has led the way in disregard and it does set the standard for others. And there is a concern that if the FED pulls back on its communications writ large and it leaves a void, well, that could leave say, emerging market central banks and economies vulnerable because if markets start to become wobbly or volatile in the absence of news and the FED, well, that will impact spillover of course through the dollar channels into emerging markets around the world as well. That's number one and number two, there's a view that, well, if the FED is pulling back in communications, maybe other governments might encourage their central banks around the world. Look, you don't need to be speaking youse often either. Why don't you start rainy and your messaging as well. So there is a worry about kind of spill over and pressing that it might set for others. And that's why it's a really challenging thing to get right here, Stephen, because as I said, there is a constituency that says there's too much FED speak that has speak knowledge. But I don't know of many who say communications should be trimmed back dramatically overall, because that raises risks in itself.
Speaker 1: And we'll be watching with interest to see how that debate plays out. End of for now. Thank you. That's end of current our Federal Reserve Reporter. For more explanations like this from our team of three thousand journalists and analysts around the world, go to Bloomberg dot com slash explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.