Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. I Heart Radio one eleven productions. We are joined by my partial intrepid cru Suseyn French are newbie and and you know where you lover are Stalwart, Amy Sugarman. Tara sued is on an airplane right now. Danielle Romo may be in labor right now, so we are we're praying for a beautiful outcome.
Speaker 3: There before we start fight face. This is a do you know what you might not know because you're in canad working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get to see Sullivan's crossing.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, right October fourth, Yes, c W at eight seventh Central, so you can stream it on the CWP too.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so this Wednesday, if you're listening on Monday, this Wednesday. And word on the street is it's very good A.
Speaker 1: Word on the street. Yeah, we're pretty proud of it, pretty exciting. It's very exciting. It's nice to be back home at the CW. I started there in two thousand and you know, it turned in it was the WB and then it became the CW. What two thousand and five or six. Yeah, and we were there at the launch of the CW and it was a big deal and it was everything was green and there was a frog and there was you know, we did a whole photo campaign and it was fun. It was just fun launching a new network. And I'm still friends with a bunch of the people that used to work over there.
Speaker 2: So it's funny. Some people are still there. You and I were talking about that. Some of the people that were there with Gilmore Girls are still there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, Next Stars taking a position here with the CW, and it's a big relaunch and they've got a sports division and they do football, and they do golf, and they do they do nightly news and they're really a major network now.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's quite something to see the growth from two thousand and sixty today. Very very proud of these folks. They're doing a great job over there. So anyway, yeah, so Wednesday night, ye October fourth, c W, eight o'clock, seventh Central, Sullivan's Crossing.
Speaker 2: Check it out and everyone should watch because we will be doing some special podcast episodes.
Speaker 1: So yes, we will, and I'm excited. We're going to drop them into the feed and we're going to be talking to the stars. Yep. And can I announce who the first guest is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, sure, yes you can.
Speaker 1: It's going to be the actual star of the show, Morgan Cohen. And I think you're all going to love her. We all do up here, and we're going to get to know her a little bit and just look out for that podcast episode. So anyway, aweso, let's get started here. What did everybody think of the episode?
Speaker 2: Well, should we have Suzanne to our big synopsizing?
Speaker 1: Well, that's right, we got a synopsisizations from Susanne French. You're on care right.
Speaker 4: This is a season six, episode two, fight Face. It aired on September twentieth, two thousand and five. Feeling a little lonely, Lorelai adopts a dog. Luke agrees to repair Lorelei's house rather than buy the Twiguam house. This so soon turns into trouble as TJ does some unwanted construction on the house. Rory starts her community service assignment. Feeling neglected and unhappy with how things are going. Rory visits Luke at his diner and Luke lets it slip that he and Laurlai are engaged.
Speaker 2: What do you think of this episode?
Speaker 1: I loved it. I really enjoyed it. It was very very light and fun and delightful and breezy, and it was a Dan Paladino written and directed episode. And you know, I really, I really am digging on the Dan Palladino writing style and the directing style. Not that I don't love everybody else, but there's there's something a little different about his episodes, and there's it's just kind of amazes me every time I see it. Dan.
Speaker 2: I could be an idiot saying this, but it seems like he really likes to write for you and Lauren, you know, Luke and Laura Lai, to have there. There was a lot of that in this episode, and I thought, I loved it.
Speaker 1: It's some of the best. You know, what I really saw in this episode was I really saw the relationship between those two and it was just kind of a delightful little journey there to see how they interact and see how they are together. It's the best. I was so comfortable in their presence and with their dialogue. And another thing I noticed is it's it's really a wonderful thing. And to have a scene partner like Lauren who you can trust because we're doing all that fast dialogue back and forth. And I always trusted that she was going to be there timing wise, because it's all timing as you see, right, And you know, I know she could trust me too to keep the ball in the air, because if there's a little too much of a pause here and there, then there goes right out of the scene. And it's like it's like pumping up a tire or a balloon or something. It's the same.
Speaker 2: Principle, even when you're standing on a roof, when you're.
Speaker 1: Standing exactly, the timing was always there. She always delivered, and she's just so great, so great at that so and it really made those scenes. It was all timing and and and pace and all that stuff. Difficult stuff to do, but when you have a scene partner like that, it's fun. You know, it's really fun.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we'll get to it. But two things, even when you were arguing, it was great right and for me because you still saw the love there totally. And just even like the moment where Luke says we're good, we're good, and you're like, oh, yeah, they are good, Like they can have that and be good five seconds later and I know what, we'll talk about it when we get to it. But the fact that Luke realized I'm not buying the Twickham house. She wants to stay in this house was for me the moment of the episode.
Speaker 1: Really being in tune with her to that degree. What does she want? Let me deliver what she wants? And I love that roof scene too. I thought that roof scene really defined their relationship to the point where they're so comfortable with each other he can kind of, you know, do a yellie thing like a lunatic on a roof, but there's still love there. Yeah, and she understands what it is and dissipated that that she was going to ask her are we still good? No, we're good. She didn't have to ask a.
Speaker 2: Question, and he was upset. It's like, you were upset because Rory really threw you off. And we'll debate it. I get why he told her. I mean the whole thing, Well, we'll go through it, because that was sort of a moment when you're like, oh, no, you told her, but you kind of had to tell her and how could you not tell her? And oh no, like.
Speaker 1: Just oh boy, yeah, great stuff, really great stuff. Thank you, Dan, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So we start with the Twickham House and Suki and Laura liar in front of the Tickham House, and I actually thought that scene was really funny because Suki knows Laura life so well that she's like it's sticking right, like the engagement and then they had It was just a good scene.
Speaker 4: It was good to see Suki and I don't think she had was in the episode before. I felt like I hadn't seen her for a while.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. I totally agree, And I like how she calls her out like are you gonna bolt? I'm not gonna bolt, and then they sort of have their flirty moment. It was a little dirty. It just got bigger, that's what she said, you know, like they definitely throw those sort of I don't know double entendre a little bit.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand what they were talking about. Y'all have to fill me in later.
Speaker 4: It was good best friend time, like we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean one of them is is good greed. It was just that was great. Then I think, do we go to the community service. We see we go to the community service right away, and the like leader of the community service is kind of like that guy, that guy that you see and everything. I have to look up what his name was while you guys talk, because that guy's in everything.
Speaker 1: Oh he was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's in it great.
Speaker 1: He you know, that was one of the best pieces of casting I've seen on the show. I mean, he really made me believe that she was in that situation. That's exactly the type of guy that's going to be employed at that level doing that in the Department of Corrections, you know, you know what I mean. He was perfect, and the casting for those extras was perfect. All these shady looking people and then Rory.
Speaker 4: He really hit like every stereotype as they you know, kind of panned across the room.
Speaker 1: Ye what was his name? What was Oh? John Capellos?
Speaker 5: He was he.
Speaker 2: Is in so many He's so good.
Speaker 1: He was so good.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I know I'm jumping ahead, but when she says anyone need to smoke like, I was just like, oh my god, I'd love to.
Speaker 1: I'd love to interview him, you know, if you get him on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be cool. He really hit it out of the park, saying there's no there's no such thing as small scenes, just small actors. This guy's a big actor. You know. He really made it his own, really great.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think that's important for it to be believable, and I actually sort of do even though she had like fake dirt on her face. I do believe that she did have a lot of fake dirt on her face.
Speaker 4: First of all, I.
Speaker 2: Know we're not there yet, but when she when the person's mad, when she goes for the trash and the person goes for the trash at the same time, and then she takes the trashaw like the community service stuff is actually kind of funny and laying better than I even thought it would. Oh my god, you know what I just realized as I'm looking him up. He's in the breakfast club.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Guy's in the He's totally that.
Speaker 1: Guy, like he's like, he's like a badass in the breakfast club. He was was heither janitor or something?
Speaker 2: I think, so I have to look it up, but yes, now it's totally coming back.
Speaker 1: It's like they could they couldn't put one over on him, and he just like, oh, he schooled he schooled the judge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Okay, so we go into the diner and that was sort of interesting, Like at first I couldn't figure out what you two were talking about, but you're talking about Star Wars obviously last and that was that was funny. That was a funny bit. And then you know, she throws in George Lucas own San Francisco, and then you go into Bewitched, which I actually also thought because I they did sort of screw up Bewitched with that movie.
Speaker 1: Do you know why George Lucas got so rich?
Speaker 2: Don't tell me, hold on them. Let's think merchandise.
Speaker 1: Yes, because the studios at the time, what was it, the seventies, Yeah, mid seventies, late seventies were not hep to uh what merchandising could bring in, and George knew that this was going to be a real windfall merchandising wise, and so they cut him in. I don't know, I think he got all of it. Whoa, I think he got one hundred percent of the merchandising. I might be wrong. Maybe the studios got a little bit, but he got the lion's share of the merchandising in that and that's.
Speaker 4: Imperfectly Yeah, smart move.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, billions.
Speaker 4: Did you notice in that diner scene that they had the windows covered, No, so you could like the blinds, the blinds were partially closed, but you couldn't see through them like they had the windows covered.
Speaker 1: In that first in that first the Star Wars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first diners, he's talking to TJ. I don't know. I wasn't sure why that was if I thought maybe the scene was shot possibly at night, and so they had to cover the windows so they could blast them with light and make it look like daylight outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's they do do that sometimes. I do not recall. All I know is that there we are as soon as we see Michael day Lewis, we're laughing. The posture, the attitude, and it's just like the guy. He's a great physical comedian, yes, great physical comedic actor. He just owns that character.
Speaker 2: We see more of the diner, and there was some interesting shots of the diner in this episode where you see more because obviously we see where the shelves went and that wasn't something that I've ever like. I didn't really know that it went around like that. There's sort of that little alcove there, and then later there's another scene where we see the two tables shot just differently. We just saw more of the diner in this episode.
Speaker 4: I love it when TJ said he was going to give Luke one of the shelves is a wedding gift, but then he raised the price on the other two shelves, so it came out the same.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's a good scene. It's a good it's all good. Their banter's good right from the start. And then does she say bye doll? Did I mishear that or does she say bye doll? I'm oh, I think so cute. It was cute.
Speaker 1: It's just everything between those two, Luke and Laural ives just a delight to watch. It really solidified and and and showed how easy their relationship is and how comfortable they are. Yeah, they've found, they've found, they've both found their north stars.
Speaker 2: Should we stop going to movies? She said? Should we stop going? She said, should should we stop going to movies? Because they just argue and banter about the movies. It's just they have a great relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love in this scene when.
Speaker 1: They're both highly critical people Yeah, they like to go to things, you know how it's kind of fun to go with go to the movies and then pick them apart at totally totally.
Speaker 4: I also love how you just kind of what we're doing do a podcast about it.
Speaker 2: Exactly, good one, Susan, exactly. Is this the scene where he says I think he says like both our ladies were squiring them or something like he's kind of doing that. Oh my god, and Luke's like, that's my sister, Like stop. It was just a good bit. It was just all good. Yeah, and then he gives that random couple's card.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that was funny. He's just so you don't want to seem to end, you know, It's like you know it's going to end, and you just sort of feel it's gonna end any minute. But it's like, no, I hope there's I hope Luke comes back and there's more engagement, but you can go. I just want to see I just want to see Dailuise on screen more, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I I love him, and I actually liked seeing Liz back again. We haven't seen them in a bit, so I was happy about it.
Speaker 4: Then we go to the hilarious.
Speaker 2: Then we go to the scene in the center of town town square, and we see the animals and we meet paul Anka for the first time. I never I mean, I had forgotten that sort of her history with animals. That was a funny bit that like I'd slipped my mind.
Speaker 1: It was, it was, and it was good to see Liz Torres come in there and deliver yeah, some great stuff, you know, and uh yeah, that was that was a nice setup for what came later, you know, because it because we mentioned there was a Luke and Laurel. I seen in there when he's meeting the dog for the first time where it pays off in there.
Speaker 2: And that was even better because it's like very subtle at that point when he's like should should you?
Speaker 1: She just jumped off. Was so funny.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the timing, like that's where you guys are just like home runs, because that's not easy and it only works because you're so subtle about it, and she's so it was a hamster was defective. There's like a pig in town, the rabbits, it's just the turtle, the whole It was just really good. And then we see now this was the first time I have noticed Loralai really wearing her ring, her engagement ring. I don't know if I missed it sort of at the end of the other episode, but I definitely was noticing it, and then we bump into Liz and they're talking about being engaged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the last episode ended with Luke coming in and saying, you know, time's here, let's go, like, so she hadn't didn't even have the ring yet, yeah, at the end of the last episode, So that was the first time we saw her wearing it.
Speaker 2: It's great. Now, Okay, this is something that I've been excited to talk about. Should she change her name?
Speaker 1: Well she if she proposed to him, oh god, then probably not.
Speaker 2: You know, can you see her being Laura I can Danes?
Speaker 1: I can? I can?
Speaker 2: I can see her hyphenating oh, Gilmore Dan because she already has kind of, you know, her professional career going, and people know her as Laura Gilmore who.
Speaker 4: Owns the Inn, and I see her as a hyphenator.
Speaker 1: That's a good that's a good flow of a name, Laura Gilmore Danes.
Speaker 2: It's not. Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: But I had never thought about that before until you know, because we have this, we're able to talk about it. I was like, oh my god, she wouldn't be Laura like Gilmore and I love that. Liss is like we're sister in law's like, you know, it's just everything's perfect in this episode so far. It's moving fast, there's new things. She takes the dog and you're like it was almost so like quick and subtle that you're just like, did she just get a dog?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Why does Luke hate dogs?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He doesn't seem to type.
Speaker 4: He gave a pretty good list. They smell. They know he gave a whole list about why he hates dogs.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't that seems a bit out of character for me.
Speaker 2: I agree. He seems like he would have a dog in that truck to take.
Speaker 1: Fishing absolutely, you know, especially God, Yeah, yeah, I love dogs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It seems like, yeah, then you'd think that they would have had Luke be a dog guy. I don't know why they're not, because it doesn't really change anything. If he was a dog guy. I guess you'd have to be more.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it was anyway.
Speaker 2: So we go to the Gilmours and the breakfast spread was so amazing that I literally was like, can I live there?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I loved when Emily when they were leaving and Emily says, finish the rest of this, and Barye's like, I'll try.
Speaker 1: Amy, you would have You would last about five minutes with Emily.
Speaker 2: Would not go well.
Speaker 1: It would not go well. You would get in her face and you would storm out. Give me a break.
Speaker 2: Come on, I would enjoy I would enjoy the food. But yeah, she's yeah, but she's very you get in this episode why she drives Lorlai crazy because she's subtle with her controllingness, if that's a word. It's so passive aggressive and it's like, oh yuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was particularly rough with Rory was and.
Speaker 2: She in a passive aggressive way, like suddenly Rory's joining the da R Like what in the heck?
Speaker 1: H Well, now she's got her under her roof, so you know, it's easy pickings. Now she doesn't even have to go through Lorela anymore. Yeah, she can just you know, she can just be her her horrible self. I mean, she walks into the room with that. They want to talk to her, and she's like sit, sit, like she's a you know, like she's a domesticated house pet or something. A couple of questions your granddaughter like that, you know, when.
Speaker 2: You steal a yacht, why do they impound your car, because like, it's if her car was in the parking lot, it's not.
Speaker 1: Like they used the car and the commission of the crime.
Speaker 2: Like that didn't really make sense to me, because I'm like, but yes.
Speaker 1: I just explained it. She they used, she used her car, and the commission of that crime. Did she Yeah, she drove to the dock, right, How did she get that?
Speaker 2: Not a lawyer nor police officer.
Speaker 4: No, it's probably like some private parking lot for the harbor or something. And when she was in jail.
Speaker 2: They came and told her car. That all makes sense, but they also have money, like they could have gotten her car back. The thing. I kind of liked in that scene. And I don't know, I want to hear what you guys say. She talks about the car being and impounded, and they sort of say it's forgotten. It's forgotten, like the yacht, the whole thing, it's forgotten. I don't know if that's good parenting and quotes are bad, but I sort of thought, Okay, I'm gonna give them some points for that. They're not beating her.
Speaker 1: Up over it.
Speaker 4: I felt a little bit differently about that. I felt it was because Emily literally said, She's like, oh, it didn't happen, Like you're not gonna have to face any consequences for what you did, Like we're just basically they kind of replace Lorelai as their daughter and now the three of them are going to move on with their lives together. I did notice that because they were completely dismissive of the whole thing, like she hadn't just done this. And Emily makes a comment about the orientation and she says, oh, you're bearing this angelically like like.
Speaker 2: Rory's the victim.
Speaker 4: I just I thought that was a weird take.
Speaker 1: So what more can they do? I mean, she's already getting three hundred hours and she's got to do it in six months. That's almost a full time job. I mean she's putting in, you know, a lot of hours per day to get that down to zero. So it's like, I don't, Yeah, this state has stepped in and meet it out there justice and you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I can see that too. I don't think they should necessarily keep punishing her over and over again for it. But I just thought it was interesting how they really kind of had the attitude that, you know, none of this was Rory's fault and she was the victim in the hole.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think both takes are kind of interesting because I sort of liked how sweet they were and that they weren't beating her up over it. But then I also get your point where you're like, she committed a total felony, Like what what are we doing? So we go back to we see her in the chair with the TV on, and then she's got the bathing suit on, and all of a sudden, I'm like, oh my god, she's totally bored.
Speaker 4: It was so symbolic, right, like she's sitting in this empty room. There's nothing in the room, there's nothing in her life, Like she doesn't have her mom, she doesn't have school, Like she's just literally sitting in an empty room symbolically as well as physically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she does have the graduate, she does have Mike Nichols and Tustin Haman and that great scene.
Speaker 2: I'm so I'm so happy you're saying that, because I was like, is this Jacques Cousteau like she was watching.
Speaker 1: That was exactly the scene where he took some time off from his getting his PhD. He or no a fast great remember, and then he's he's on the He hadn't started the I don't think he'd started the affair yet. No, no, he had started the affair. Uh oh no, that was his birthday present. Okay. And Anne Bancroft and her husband came over that that great actor who was in Jaws. Gosh, his name escapes me.
Speaker 2: Schneider. No, no, the main guy in Jaws.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm talking about the graduate, right, but he was in Jaws. Uh, Anne Bancroft's husband in the Graduate. Yes, he was in Jaws as the town mayor.
Speaker 2: Oh not Roy Schneider, okay, hold Robert Shaw now the mayor, the mayor, Murray Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Murray Hamilton, that's him. Fantastic actor. Wow, he was in the Graduate. So anyway, so that's the scene in the Graduate where he put on his They were all waiting for him to put on his his deep diving equipment and test it out in the pot. And he felt like he he he just felt like, what is my life turning into? And then he starts up the affair with the bankroft friend's wife. I'm that's the but I'm let me get to the scene. So the scene is he's laying on the raft after and his father comes by and says, Benjamin, Benjamin, have you thought about graduate school? Have you thought about this? And he goes, no, I'm just sort of taking some time off, and and his father says, well, you would think a person who's put in some good hard work and has earned some accolades would want to get off his but he says, there's no problem with a young man taking a couple of weeks off. It's great, you've earned it, but now it's time to get off your ass. And so that's what the reference was.
Speaker 2: But that's so it's so major, and like I'm bummed I didn't get it because it's so parallel. So it was really actually genius. I just didn't get it because I was like, is a joque custa? Like I didn't understand what was happening. But it's the parallel to Rory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So she's literally watching.
Speaker 2: Her own thing.
Speaker 1: She's watching her I think it.
Speaker 2: Just popped into my head. If she's got three hundred hours of community service in six months, she actually couldn't go to school.
Speaker 1: Right, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess if she was still in school, maybe they give you a longer time. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess it is odd that they gave her three hundred hours if they If did the judge know that she was in school.
Speaker 4: You would think the judge didn't know that said you're a student at Yale, and Rory said yes, so she knew.
Speaker 1: Although technically back again, giving a student, any student anywhere trying to get by, you know, trying to do their studies, giving them three hundred hours of community service, it's just it's just like overkill. It's like you're ruined that kid's school year. They're gonna they're gonna fail. Right, they don't have that much free time. How's she supposed to study exactly?
Speaker 2: So anyway, I mean, I think that's kind of an interesting thing. Interesting and that she's bored and she's, you know, happy to polish silver. I don't understand why she's not realizing I need to go back to you. What am I doing?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: A fun fact on the silver polishing scene, where Rory is speaking beginner Spanish with the Maid people, fans, some fans probably already know this, but Spanish was actually Alexis's first language. Yes, she didn't learn English until she went to school, so I forgot that.
Speaker 2: So yes she should have.
Speaker 4: She didn't speak Spanish when she did that scene. I always thought that was kind of a fun.
Speaker 2: That's a great note. That's a great note. So I want to talk about the scene now after this where Luke meets paul Anka. So Segott, tell us about your thoughts with that full scene where you come in and you're meeting paul Anka for the first time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's always it's always takes a lot longer when you're working with an animal or a baby, even at Rubber Baby. But you know, it's nice to see a dog on set. I'm a dog person, so I really enjoy when when dogs are on set, and this was a I remember this being a particular well behaved dog and well trained, and they all are because you know, the Warner Brothers only brings in the best animals. And uh yeah, that was a very lovely, loving dog who was very professional and didn't freak out and picked up did all that it was supposed to do, and the trainer the trainer was really great and you know, we we we didn't like seeing that dog go. We wanted to. It's rare that any actors want more animals on the set because it just takes to so much time wrangling them and handling that right. You know, they call they cause a lot of delays because well, you know they're animals, and you know people cause delays too, so uh but it was Yeah, that was a particularly enjoyable experience. I remember just really loving that scene and loving the work we were doing.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of movement. There's a lot of movement in that scene. You're in the house, you're out of the house on the one door, you come around to the porch, you're back in the house. It was a it's a good scene. And then there's major stuff because we really start to get the vibe that Loralai does not want to sell her house.
Speaker 1: You mean the movement from the living room to the kitchen and then outside.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all shot separately, right, no, or with a steady cam. They follow us into the You got Steve with a steady cam strapped to him. That those things are like eighty pounds ninety pounds hundred pounds. They're really heavy. And Steve was always great. I guess he followed us into that scene. If it was a continuous scene, we just didn't just cut to it, and that's how you get that master shot. But with the steady cam, you can come in and get close ups, and you can get two shots, you can get all kinds of things, and sometimes they like to do that, I think, especially to keep a scene flowing like that. And I'll go back and watch it, but I think I think they did. I do remember Steve with his steady cam, Steve we called him, who even directed a really wonderful episode as well. He earned his stripes man, you know, because that guy, yeah, putting in a lot of work, a lot of legwork doing that.
Speaker 2: So we go from that scene and then I think we get to the scene where Rory's in a pretty dress drinking club soda, and we learned that they're going to help her find a job, and it was just oh, no, Suzanne, were you like here we go?
Speaker 4: I thought Alexis did a great job in that scene. The face acting. I know Scott says there is no such thing as face acting, but when they were telling her that they're going to find her a job. She's like, oh really, Like she's you could see the wheels turning inside her head. I thought that was a great scene because she's like, oh, my gosh, how am I going to do this?
Speaker 2: And I think she isn't standing up for herself because she knows she's screwed up so bad and they've taken her in and they're paying for everything that she feels like she has to do what they say, right, you know, I get that same vibe in the DAR thing, right, and she she.
Speaker 4: Knows that she needs to keep them on her side because otherwise she'll have nothing. So I agree that she kind of felt like, I don't have any choice. I'm going to have to do this.
Speaker 2: You see her face in that scene, and you see her face with the ladies of the luncheon, which is of a scene, but she feels like she's just going along with it because she has no choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I agreed with that. And when the one at that where they're sitting out on the patio and the one woman asks when she joined the DAR, and she has this look on her face like, Oh, that hadn't even occurred to me to join the dar But then she's like, Okay, well, I guess I'm joining right.
Speaker 2: She's just literally going to do whatever. Emily says. Although those ladies.
Speaker 5: Talking about which forefather was the hottest, I thought that was pretty funny because I personally I don't know what any of them look like, so I that would not even be something that I would think.
Speaker 4: To form an opinion.
Speaker 2: Not typically super attracted to George Washington or Ben Franklin, just saying, oh my god, John Adams, I have no idea what he looks like. Is that his name? Yes? Yes, Scott, do you have a forefather that you thought was the hottest?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I just I don't think those terms regarding forefathers crazy. But I've never sort of.
Speaker 2: Thing I love about it, isn't.
Speaker 1: It in that that way? That's a that's an odd conversation for me to be engaged in.
Speaker 2: So I was like, who's ever had that conversation?
Speaker 4: It's so good, it's so da R.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the Fellows were sitting around, Hey, hey, John, glad you showed up. Listen, we're talking about the founding follows, which one you know, get your motor runner? Can you imagine Scott's like, once you think of the hottest.
Speaker 2: If you're the reverse. Scott's like, you know, Martha Washington, she really did it for me.
Speaker 1: That's why it's That's why it's any funny face.
Speaker 2: The only bone to pick I have with that scene is and Scott, you may be able to correct me. You can tell when they're outside, and you can tell when they're inside pretending they're outside.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like the juxtaposition between the DA R Luncheon where you're like, you're acting like you're outside, but you're definitely inside, and then the jeep pulling up and you're like, oh, she's outside.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Actually the jeep pulling up is inside.
Speaker 2: No, don't say that to me.
Speaker 1: To the to the Gilmore House. Yeah, it's inside. Stop, that's not outside.
Speaker 4: What but at her house it's it was outside because you could see the shadow.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, it is outside Gilmore House.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Gilmore.
Speaker 1: House is on a sound stage.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you panicked me there that when the jeep pulls up to Laurelize House that it was inside. I was like, well, then.
Speaker 1: That's definitely outside.
Speaker 2: So then we get to the scene my favorite scene in this episode is you're all on the roof. Oh no, not yet. This is where George, this is where we learn. This is one of my favorite things. This is where we learn that you, Luke slash Scott, figured out her vibe that she doesn't want to sell the house. So you're taking the measurements and figuring out how you're going to remodel this house to make it work. Oh, it's the sweetest.
Speaker 1: It's a great example of a relationship where you know everybody. He's in tune with everybody, you know. It's like they just kind of vibe each other. They feel each other. Definitely feels her and what she needs and what she wants. And I think he's right a good amount of the time. I'm sure there's examples where he's been dead wrong and he's been off the mark, and he's just a human being like everybody else. But yeah, in this, in this regard, he's really tuned into what she wants, which really makes it appealing, you know, for me to watch, and I think everybody else great character, great character.
Speaker 4: I love that scene. It was great between Luke and Lorelei. And then you had the comic relief with TJ not knowing how to work the screwdriver and paul Anka locks himself in the car somehow. Like I just loved everything about that scene. I thought it was good. And then the frisbee. She caught the frisbee. How many takes did that take?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that was amazing. That was amazing. I can't decide if we're blurring the two scene with the roof. Oh maybe because this is but that's fine, everybody gets it. There's two major scenes. This is just the preliminary one where she learns they're not TJ hasn't made the hole yet.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: But that's fine. That's fine. But the frisbee, Oh my god, the frisbee was epic, and she gets credit for the catch. But good throw, dude, good throw.
Speaker 1: Huh he you know I still got it or had it back then.
Speaker 2: You know, I just wrote in this particular scene, the first house one, I just wrote, cute, really cute Luke, Like he just is a great boyfriend, fiance husband, knowing what she wants and not making a big old stink out of it, just going I'm good with Like he.
Speaker 4: Just scheduled the guys to come over and start talking, like he didn't even ask her.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm just going to take care of this.
Speaker 4: And he gets the architect over there, and yeah, he just starts moving forward because he knows that's what she's gonna want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's fully comfortable within the relationship now that yeah, fully be himself. Not that he was hiding any part of himself before, but now he's demonstrably Yeah, Loop dings right.
Speaker 2: Then to jump to the other roof scene, because we might as well talk about it here since we're talking about it. I love the scene. I love their sort of fight that they work out. The only flag I have is like, come on, TJ's that big of an idiot that he's going to make a ginormous ole in the house.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I don't know. I didn't really, It didn't really track a register for me then, But now that you say it, hmmm, that's a what kind yeah, exactly what kind of a person would make create a hole in somebody's master bedroom and then leave it like that plastic putting plastic over or something. It just left a giant hole.
Speaker 2: Well, and maybe if you had a misfire with a hammer, right like you got someone I mean, I guess the idea is he was trying to start the project to like expand the bedroom. But it's just like what But anyway, I mean I can susp what's it called suspend belief?
Speaker 4: Yeah, suspend disbelief, Yes, suspend disbelieve. But now we see why he keeps failing the contractor exam.
Speaker 2: Right, it's terrible. So anyway, we jumped over a scene that I love so much, which is Rory and Emily in the Jaguar and she's giving her her rules for community service. Two you guys, lunchbox. Lunchbox, she says, turned out, turned out, she's I don't know what that is. And the shift and the whole I just was like, I am dying. This is so funny. Here's your cigarettes to barter.
Speaker 4: I can just see Emily walking into a liquor store to buy cigarettes, the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, and then she's like, I don't know that it's helping us here in the jag which I also just like, yeah, oh my god, that's so good. Anyway, Okay, so we should talk about the scene where Rory comes into the diner and Scott I really want to just sort of hear you because I don't know what Luke was supposed to do.
Speaker 1: You know, he's you know, he's in that strange kind of in between place where you know, he's not her stepfather yet, right, he's not. He's just been there her whole life. He's just been there for her. So it's like, you know, they have a closeness, but there's also a bit I think he's so I think he's always been so respectful of the closeness between mother and daughter that he doesn't intervene without it being appropriate or asking permission or you know, getting the go ahead from Laurele I. So now that he's in a situation where clearly, you know, she's in need of a little comfort, you know, a shoulder to lean on or something. Yeah, because it's well, you know, she didn't where else to go, yeah, right, I mean he was the only one that has never he's always been had her back and he's never been judgmental of her. And yeah, I mean where else could she go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like she couldn't. She knew she couldn't go to talk to laurel I. So Luke's was kind of that buffer zone where she could be loral I adjacent and yeah, kind of scope out the situation without having to actually talk to Laurai.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think she was going to say to him?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What did she want to talk about?
Speaker 1: Like is she going to say to I don't think she knew what she was going to say. I think she was just seeking some comfort and a familiar place that was going to put her mind at ease or a different She wanted to come back to Star's Hall. I think this is a way. It's like the waiting room for getting back into her mom's house and her house and she grew up in, and maybe she was hoping that her mother would be there. I don't know, but interesting, comforting, warm place that's in Star's Hollow because she had to get out of that poolhouse. I think she.
Speaker 4: Wanted to know if Laura I was feeling as lost as she was feeling, and so she was trying to kind of figure that out without having to, you know, just call Lorelai. And that's I think that's probably she was just kind of putting her feelers out there to to see what the what the environment was because she was kind of feeling awkward and weird in this new place in her life, and she was just trying to see where Laurel I was with all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, growing pains right, just lonely. She just needed a she needed some stars hollow, She needed a dose of stars hollow and yeah, she just needed to relax and be able to breathe a little bit. Do you think he will not feel so out of place because I think she now feels really out of place. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's anything Luke? Do you think there's anything Luke could have done? Like, could he have said, Rory, you need to get it together. This isn't you. You should go. Should he have been more firm with her and said, you need to go back to Yale, you need to finish your community service, you need to make up with your mom. Like, I don't know, I don't know him, He's that's not him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't see him saying that directly to Rory. I could because he always has let Laurel I drive that bus, so I he may have been thinking it. I think she caught him off guard when she should. It was late at night, he was closing the diner, and I think she just kind of caught him off guard, and he was like, uh, I don't know what to do with her, and yeah, yeah, but I don't know that he would say that directly to her because he always was kind of behind, you know, lined up behind Laurlai.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, It's not him to do it. Do you how do you think Lorelai should have reacted with Luke when she finds out he did tell her they're engaged, And I get why he did. It just sort of came out.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 4: I felt bad for Luke because he was right when he said that he was caught in the middle. And you know, laurel I in her mind it's just between her and Rory, and she was kind of forgetting that Luke has a stake in this too, because that affects him as well, and so I think she needed to take that into account. So I was glad that he said that and pointed that out to her because then she realized, oh, wait, you're right, this does affect you, So then she could see his side a little bit more.
Speaker 2: So, Scott, like, if you were.
Speaker 1: Luke, I am Luke, not were I am?
Speaker 2: Do you think he handled it right on the roof sort of their little I call it a tiff? He had handled it differently kind of telling her how he told Rory about the engagement.
Speaker 1: No, otherwise you wouldn't have had that great scene.
Speaker 2: And this is where we have the frisbee.
Speaker 1: Are you it's not it's not Seventh Heaven? Okay?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: It was on brand.
Speaker 2: Known as a frisbee, an excellent frisbee player in frisbee circles.
Speaker 1: My frisbee abilities are known throughout the universe. Yes, that's why they wrote that in It's well known.
Speaker 2: I wish you could remember how many times you had to shoot that for her to catch it. Uh.
Speaker 1: I think it was the first take, and then we just went home rather standing ovation and off I went into my frisbee glory yet again, So.
Speaker 4: Were you really standing on the roof or was that just to create a camera angle?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, yeah, how do you recreate that?
Speaker 2: That seems dangerous?
Speaker 1: No, it's not that high.
Speaker 2: It seems dangerous.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they you know, they have stunt people on there, and they have safety people and and they check out the roof or any loose shingles, and you know, I don't know that there was a an air bag below us if somebody had fallen off.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that they went to that extent.
Speaker 2: But or what if you were harnessed somehow maybe No, I don't know who. They look dangerous and Stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: Wo. We do the risky stuff, man, That's why we get the big bucks.
Speaker 2: So then we then have the scene that actually, I it was pretty intense. So Laura lies driving by and she sees Rory picking up the trash, which for any mother that would be rough, right, that's rough, and she you turns it, pulls over and they kind of go at it.
Speaker 1: Were it both? Yeah, it's it's listen. They have they're best friends and their mother and daughter, and now we're seeing where that isn't working out well for either one of them. But I think mothers and daughters and fathers and sons that you know, have conflict. It's not uncommon, right, And they're both you know that is Rory is uh you know, grew up with that. She's got the same sort of strength, right, She's her own Rory has been always been her own person. She was taught to be that way. She had that that glowing example of Laurel I, you know, sticking her flag in the ground and Stars Hollow and being independent and strong. Yeah, and so of course you know she's going to be independent and strong, which is what Laurel I wants wants for her daughter to make her way through the world. So it was one of my favorite scenes between those two because it again showed an aspect of the relationship that is completely uh right on I mean on brand. As I've said before, that that's what you're going to get, these two strong women standing up to one another, and it's a necessary step in a relationship, in any relationship is standing your ground. So it just is a little more fraught with you know, feelings when it's a mother and a daughter. Yeah, especially for the audience to watch, because we've all been there with our parents.
Speaker 2: So you make great points. Yeah, I mean you're right, Like, even though it's sort of like awkward and sort of ouch to watch, right, you're right. She's not going to pull over the car and be like, oh no, you're picking up trash, and she's not gonna say I miss you, mommy, you know, like, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: It shows how far the mighty have fallen and how Rory is not fulfilling her potential and how quickly life can change for you. Just the nature of life, and it also is also emblematic of a right of passage for mother and daughter. It's a necessary, necessary situation.
Speaker 2: And do you think Rory, though she says, I can't believe you got engaged and didn't tell me, I think she's a little bit upset in the sense that Laurels thriving, or at least it's perceived she's thriving. She's got you know, she's she's happy, she's engaged. You know, her life is going well. And Rory's is in the pooper right, like she's just picking up trash on the side of the road. She's bored now she's in the daar like. Maybe it's partially she's like jealous in a sense that Laurela is able to move on without her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I got from that whole thing too, is you know, she's a little bitter that Larela is not as unhappy as she is, which, of course we know underneath that Larela I is right sad about the riff, but at least too from Rory's point of view, she sees Laurel I moving on and so that would be distressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think in a micro sense, Laurel. I feels like, hey, kid, you didn't listen to me about this huntsper thing. It's not the world you want to be in. I warned you. I told you so, now look at you. In the macro sense, it's her Laurla having to come with terms with allowing her daughter to make her own mistakes and then deal with the consequences. So doesn't negate the fact that everybody's going to have very strong feelings about it. Yeah, it's going to cause some tension in the relationship, but that's that's life. They're just living there. Everybody's living their lives, you know. So yeah, it's it's a really really sort of uh dead on portrayal that Dan wrote, you know, very very good writing, very very good psychology.
Speaker 2: So what do you think of the whole episode?
Speaker 1: I just loved it. I just it's one of my favorites because it was just so easy, breezy and I just filled with the right kind of drama. There were different levels of drama there was. It was all relationship be drama, mother daughter, Luke, Laurele drama, sister drama. Yeah, you know that all that stuff was was was there. I don't know it just felt very full for me.
Speaker 2: It was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt yeah totally. There was no interesting that, there was no tailor, no Kirk right right, it was just it was just they sort of focused on these powerful relationships. It was it was a Luke, Laurel I, Rory, Emily Richard, Emily Richard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, no Logan.
Speaker 1: Not a slugfest, no Logan. You know, it was just sort of.
Speaker 2: You're right, Yeah, it almost every scene is really about those five people. Every scene. In fact, I don't know why I'm saying almost it's really an episode that focus is on the core five. Yeah, and I think that's one reason I like it. Those are the five I care about the most. I mean, I'm not saying I don't love the others, but like obviously I love Logan, but those five are what makes the show, especially now that we're in season six.
Speaker 1: Mm. Yeah, it was it was, it felt it felt really.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to have a favorite one. I love this whole thing. I would say maybe the scene where they're in the jag. Every single line there is great, every single line TJ. I mean I don't really I can't have one because I thought this script was really really really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love them all, but this one for me, just the whole thing, every zinger, every line, every everything.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, I think my favorite line was that Hamster was defective.
Speaker 1: What about Amy? What do you think I'm gonna I'm gonna, I'm gonna ride on Susanne Susanne's coattails. I laughed out loud on that line. I thought it was the best. The best laugh in that whole episode was Laurel I jumping on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the timing was perfect.
Speaker 2: How about when Luke finds out about the hole and he's all him kill t J, like not even sentences like it was so that whole.
Speaker 4: Bit about garrotting him and taking him to a ballgame like.
Speaker 2: That was really and I forgot I do. I also love when you Rory comes into the diner and you're so awkward and you're like, you know, yeah, he wanted to spiff it up. Spiff j.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one one of my favorite episodes. Yeah, i'd say top top five or which.
Speaker 2: Is allegedly a bit of a miracle for season six because people do not love season six, right.
Speaker 1: Another word I would use for is very compact. You know, it was air tight episode.
Speaker 2: I'm giving it ten frisbees.
Speaker 1: I am too, I'm giving it ten massive holes in the master bedroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was a great episode. I'll just to be different. I'll give it a nine point nine nine point nine t J shops.
Speaker 2: When you said how dare you? It made me want to do and flashlight thingies. It was very Darth.
Speaker 1: Bagerh Suzanne, you know exactly what to say. Talk about stealing spotlight love it. Next episode, Season six, episode three, The Ungraduate. So we're continuing our homage to Mike Nichols wonderfully the graduate. Good good, good. Can't wait to see it anyway. Uh, that's it. Thanks to say thank you, Amy, Uh.
Speaker 2: Good performance, Scott good. Good performance in this episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you really good, Thank you really good. Yeah. I thought it was good. Yeah. I wasn't uncomfortable with any of it.
Speaker 2: And you had to do a lot, like you had to be sweet and cute, you had to be romantic, you had to deal with the dog. You have the awkward scene with Alexis, you have the fight with Laura, like you do it a lot, and it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got to show a little bit of range in this. Yeah, you know, and so thank you Dan uh and uh that's going to do with best fans on the planet. Keep those cards and letters coming, uh and the emails and the d ms and all that wonderful stuff, and we will see you next time. Remember I'm gonna be at MotorCity Comic Con November ten, eleven, and twelve.
Speaker 2: That's pretty rad, that's rare.
Speaker 1: I'm also going to be a Columbus Galaxy Con Columbus, Ohio on December two and three, So come on out and let's party. That's going to do it all the best, and remember we I am all in. Stay safe everyone, everybody, and also again follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.