Speaker 1: Now, the shotgun starting golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright, did no man?
Speaker 3: Darn your.
Speaker 2: Gredians, and welcome to a little Wednesday scramble here reacting to some consequential I don't know if it's monumental consequential news in the Professional Golf World Live two point zero appears to be not full go, but have life and signs of life going forward. As Scott O'Neill holds a press conference from Trump Bedminster as they get ready for their event there this weekend, O'Neill announced that they have an investor signed. He did not say who it is, or what it is, how much it is, any real specifics about it, but that investor has signed on. There's a new model, Joseph here for five events in the US, five events internationally. Player equity will be a part of it. I think the players will essentially have a significant stake of the league. They already had some stake in the teams. How that all worked was sort of a subject of debate as the league took on all the losses and the team sort of operated with you know, without that without having that that that sort of weight around their neck. But the players will have now an equity stake in this league, should they choose to day or come aboard any reaction here with this quote major investor, they said it will close in September.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of reactions. I mean, first off, it's it was important that this happened that for a Live to continue into the future, Like there's rumblings that there was some investor involved in that it could continue on in some fashion. But I think there were also some level of concern that, like, hey, that we might be watching the last couple live events yeah, over the next few weeks. So this does dispel that notion. And it sounds like, I mean, Scott O'Neil says that if this deal comes to fruition, there's going to be a league in twenty eight and twenty nine and twenty thirty, Like he made it sound like this is they are now secured for the long term future. I also feel like there's another side of this that's like, wait a minute, how is Live going to be a viable product next year. If it hasn't been a viable product these past few years, they're probably going to lose some talent and go to this smaller schedule like this. Who's investing? Like, what? What are are you investing in? Here? There's no real asset, But maybe we want to leave that discussion for another date and focus on the immediacy of the funding. What's your reaction.
Speaker 2: My reaction is not one necessarily of surprise. I think there's a lot of money out there in the world that looking to get into sports and whatever fashion they can. I think, you know, obviously this is the paired down version of Live or if it were to proceed, you know, an element of this announcement where that players will have their l NIL rights again and can play on other tours if eligible and invited. I don't see that just starting to open up for these players, certainly on the PGA Tour, which continues to dominate, and I'd like to talk a little bit more about the tour and their continued to roll out of whatever their future is. As FedEx might be out today in Memphis and maybe as the umbrella sponsor of a FedEx Cup but yeah, I'm curious about what it is that's going forward. I have a couple like seems like they probably won't retain all their talent. Some of their big guns may leave. What is the value of having inequity in this league? I think a plausible implication from all this, which is important to live, is that Bryson seems committed to some version of whatever's going seems I should say implausible. Want to hedge there, given that he led the player meeting on Tuesday, I'd say there's maybe a few hints in Scott O'Neill's press conference that he may be involved monetarily. You know, he said, you know, when asked about the piff. It's something that clearly this is a sponsor that cares about the game of golf, This unnamed sponsor. I don't know if he's a lead investor Bryson. You know, there was rumors that was two hundred and fifty million, not rumors, reports, I should say, from Mark Cannezzaro with the New York Post two hundred fifty million. I don't know that Bryson will put that up, but that a sponsor that cares about the game of golf. Appreciates the impact that we're having in terms of driving a younger audience into this game. I don't want to say that sounds like Bryson, but it feels like. And then they added the global nature, exploring all continents of the world and growing it globally, and stars descending on global markets. Sounds in line with what Bryson talks about. So I'd say that for me, seems like one of the more notable implications from some of this. Again we're reading between the lines because we have so few specifics, is that Bryson might stay on. That's been a question throughout the summer as he tried to negotiate first with the PIFF this year for a pretty massive contract, resign a new contract, and then you know, once PIFF left, of whether he would bail or how he would be involved and live. For me, that seems like a possible implication today.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. I actually didn't read it that way that Bryson might be the lead investor.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's I don't think he's putting two hundred and fifty million, but it seems like he could be involved based on leading team meetings and just the way he's I don't know that John Rahm is, I don't know that Terrel Hatton is, I don't know that some of the other stars are on board with this.
Speaker 3: Who knows. Yeah, as you're saying that, that's kind of where my head is going. This feels like it's going to be the Bryson Show, and regardless of what kind of investment he's going to put into it, that going forward next year it's like Bryson and I don't want to say a bunch of scrubs because there is still some talent on the roster, but they could lose some of their biggest names. It sounds like, and then you're looking at like Bryson and not the most recognizable names in the world, Like maybe you keep guys like a Lucas Herbert. I don't know exactly what his contract looks like, but some of the they go to the Australia and maybe you still have Cam Smith who shows up in Australia with this paired down schedule. But it kind of sounds to me like it's Bryson as the main attraction and then losing some of the biggest stars and that's what we see going forward. That's in doing a lot of reading between the lines, but it seems like we might be headed that direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know what the status is of their rights deal. Right, they had fourteen events, now they have ten? Is this like a Bryson YouTube circuit like quit?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Is it more akin to that. I'm not going to say it's purely that, but its shades more like that than a tour Like is this just a and a worldwide events business?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like concert series with golf? I'm not sure. Right, they seems like they don't have enough events for OWGR, Like that's going to be a whole kind of another review that's going to have to happen here at the end of the year. I think, like a somewhat hat tip to Scott O'Neill for pulling something out of the hat here. Maybe I guess we'll have more details in September. Is still you know, a little bit away as they try to finalize it, but he says it's signed, something signed. I just don't know, like how long terms sustainable this is. It seems like they'll have ten events in twenty twenty seven. Will they have OWGR points, Will it have some of the stars that are on it right now or lead players that are on it right now. The purse is This is a Sean Zach note in his report on golf dot com. The amount of money on offer will also change. The expectation is that lives thirty million dollars persons will shrink to less than twenty million, and perhaps even beneath fifteen million as it looks to streamline its available capital entering its next season. I'll add that there was not a lot of specifics on whether Michigan's happening when you talk about streamlining and saving capital Michigan this year. It seems like they're gonna do New Jersey in indye and then like figure out what money they got and go with this plan. Yeah, so you do you buy? That is more of like a an informal sort of like events worldwide events circuit.
Speaker 3: It seems like they're just gonna do whatever they can do to keep the lights on and experiment with what works next year. The report from ESPN Mark Chlebeck said ten events in twenty twenty seven, five international ones like the Australia, South Africa, England, Hong Kong and Mexico, and then I in the United States.
Speaker 2: I thought clod was out. I figured they would stay in Spain Valderrama and do that.
Speaker 3: But well, John Ram's future might dictate whether or not how badly they want to go to Spain. Yeah, fireballs though part of this, And I know the OWGR is maybe not the most interesting implication, but like when Live started and everyone was saying, hey, the owgr's job is to rank the best players in the world, like they need to rank they need to find a way to rank these live events. Part of the counter to that was like, actually, like you need to abide by certain rules so that there's some stability and so that we can rank this accurately. And now we're actually we're seeing exactly why because if this thing gets all uprooted next year and it's way hard, way fewer events, way harder to compare apples to oranges, basically, and you know how much overlap there is amongst the tours, Like, yeah, there are OWGR implications, and that does matter because as I'm sure you're you wanted to get into a little bit like how do you recruit people to Live? What is the selling point? Now to guys, they might be back in the same position where it's like, Okay, you're not going to get wowgr points. I guess the selling point is they're pretty big purses and it's a small schedule and you can play other golf.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, it sounds like the American the five US events are going to be pinned around the Major, so there's some sort of schedule convenience or continuity. I would say, you know, there's a recruiting pitch. Who it's for is a separate It's a separate issue. You're going for like probably the mid tier, mid tier DP World Tour player, right if they can remain keep eligibility, Like DP World Tour doesn't have fifty million dollar purses very often, if ever, Right, And so if I could just go play this sort of traveling circus circuit for you know, eight eight weeks a year, ten weeks, I think that's the recruiting pitch. There's dude, there's a lot of golf tours out there, and this is something I kind of want to get into in a little bit with with the tour looking for umbrella sponsors for the Challenger series and a proud partner model they want to institute for the opposite field events is what I'll call them, that are not even on network TV. They want to bring the players championship model for Like what are they who are they selling that to? I feel like there's a lot of golfers willing to play for any amount of money and on any kind of circuit that they will have recruits for it. It's just, you know, is is it just Bryson some guys and how and how? What's the business pitch there?
Speaker 3: Right? And I'm imagining you're still going to be suspended from the tour if you play right.
Speaker 2: It feels like the DP World Tour, though they've sorted out that. As long as you, you know, sort out that kind of coexistence, I would say anything else on the like news of that, there's not a lot of hard news besides five International, five domestic. It says, it says this is a lead investor with there are he added multiple dozens more a dozen additional parties to potentially serve as minority investors, creating a multi partner model built for long term stability and growth. A dozen additional parties, some player equity, any other hard details you think I'm missing? Scott O'Neil talked for a bit there. I know you were amused by some of his comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I mean, as a Sixers guy, I was disappointed nobody asked the Lebron question, but uh, I think it actually was substantive that that. At the end of the press conference, somebody asked if they if Scott feels like the new investor commitment will allow him to keep in a forward stars the likes of Bryson and John Ram going forward, and Scott O'Neill responds with this, like pretty long winding story about baseball and how a guy he knew at Turner Sports talked about the aging demographic of people who watch baseball and that they needed to evolve the game. And now there's a pitch clock and he's like, so, did that answer your question? The reporters like not, basically like no, what about keeping Bryson and John Yeah. Scott kind of goes on to say that he is all the time in the world for those two, but like, how you define a star is not as straightforward as that. I think what he was getting at is that he may not be able to retain all the stars. You and I reading between the lines, it sounds like Bryson is probably staying based on him again leading the player only meeting on Tuesday and seeming to be kind of committed to this. But I am reading this as John ram is a goner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to add the definition of star cackled a little bit with this quote, we've been blessed with stars. I define it a little bit differently. So okay, just let's define our own world here. I define it a little bit differently. And for those of you who have had the privilege and pleasure to travel us around the world, you see, you get to see it. But I don't think there was any bigger star on the planet in South Africa than Dean Burmus.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 2: And I don't think there was any bigger star on the planet than Cam Smith when we were in Australia. That is demonstrably false, Like he was maybe the biggest star in that fifteen mile radius or one hundred mile radius, but that's not that's You can define it however you want, but that's not true. I think those events were successful and popular, but again that's just a preposterous sort of deflection and non sequitor.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's any bigger star at Myrtle beach than brand Snedecker earlier this year.
Speaker 2: That all right, that's not a fair that's not a fair sort of comparison to what he's saying. I get what he's saying, but to include the whole planet. There is not a realistic definition of star. So there's some Michie shout out at Sam Hinky about optionality, wanting to keep optionality open and trust the process was not cited. I don't believe, but that might be what he's telling his players now. Honestly, it feels like we'll see it's very early. It feels like more of an exhibition for guys who are semi retired on the way out can play for some cash, you know, maybe some fringe deep world tour players up and comers. Bryson like, that's that's how I read it right now, Well, all these teams still exist, all you know, thirteen teams probably not, Maybe they exist, but with very different rosters. Yeah, it seems like there's gonna be a half team competent, you know, team championship focus with some individual focus. It just it feels shading more towards an exhibition's who's gonna be the rights holder? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think if you're really the one part I guess we haven't really touched on specifically. If you're an ambitious young golfer who's currently underlive contract, whether that's Elvis Smiley, that's a biased stare David Pooge, Like, these guys have to they should do whatever they want, But you got to imagine they're trying to get out of their contract in somewhere that they can play competitively. Because if it's let's say you're David Pooge, I think he's twenty four. If he plays for another year, and sure there's nice perses, but if he's suspended from the PGA Tour for another year at the end of that, like it's good. He needs to eventually take some steps to get to the most competitive tournaments and have access to majors. And if it's a ten of schedule, that's not getting OWGR points, but you can also play DP World Tour, Like that's not a very competitive schedule for somebody who's twenty three to twenty five years old and looking to advance their career. So I got to imagine some of those guys are making phone calls to try to get out of their contract.
Speaker 2: What would presume there's no guaranteed money here, maybe you get a cut of equity, Like this isn't the whole thing, where Like if you signed like Tom mckibbon a couple of years ago signed up and got whatever. Michael Losasso even this offseason got however, many millions of dollars. Presumably that kind of capital unless for a few maybe one to two guys, is not going to be there. And but that's a presumption I'm making clearly, Like this could be a billionaire who's willing to just go for it, and I don't know what he's going for, but could have some amount of capital and pockets. Be interesting to see how that if there's any streams crossing with the SSG and all the people behind that, who this person who's behind all this lead investor that Mark kenz Are reported.
Speaker 3: The other thing was earlier in the week, Flushing It had put out a post about how John Rahm's contract is is backloaded. Reportedly right very interested in how some of those details shake out of what John ram is still owed by Live, how that works if he does leave that that is a huge undercurrent of a.
Speaker 2: Lot of this right and is he committed to that contract sole on his live exists even if it's a live two point zero and they can pay the contract? Do they want to pay given how much capital they have now versus what they you know, that's that's sort of an Then he's on this sort of maybe he's committed if they're paying him to this this kind of hollowed out sunking half sunken ship or exhibition series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did he want them to find funding like that? That was one of my main questions this morning, Like rom probably didn't.
Speaker 2: I should probably like say this for podcasts, but like one thing for to day. I started my day of reading about all the FedEx stuff and the tour looking for they're going to put umbrella sponsors on top of the Challenger series.
Speaker 3: What was that? Do you want to tell? You want to explain?
Speaker 2: Okay, FedEx is out, FedEx Saint Jude Memphis is out as a as an elevated significant event.
Speaker 3: It's out.
Speaker 2: Also FedEx might be out as an umbrella sponsor of the tour. This follows the stuff yesterday from David Ramsey and other on front of that. That's from Josh Carpenter. I believe, uh, yesterday from David Rumsey front Off of Sports about how you know they're looking for ten million for these Challenger Series event I I I'm kind of in the same spot I was. It's just come back around to being like sort of turned off by all the money talk, and we're just moving and changing. I admire the tour. I think seems to be prioritizing product. If I would say that that's a takeaway, I'm taking Memphis out of this all important place on the tour schedule. That seems to be a commitment to like, hey, we're not gonna let FedEx put their thumb on the scale and make TPC South win the super Bowl or a significant event. And we've kind of called for that for years. I haven't done this forever, but long enough to remember when that was no offense, like one of the probably the worst event on the one of the worst events of the PGA Tours a week before the US Open.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was not very good ten years ago, eight years ago has history, certainly, but then it became this pretty significant took Firestone off and became this pretty significant PGA Tour event. I don't know, ever since we created the elevated series or designate events. Ever since Live came into our existence, my constant question has been, are the majors still the majors? Cool, let's go. We'll just keep going ahead with what I really care about, what really actually matters in golf. And you guys can care your new series and create your new sponsors and create, you know, find your new funding to make Live two point zero go. And like, if the majors are still the majors, they continue to stand out and separate themselves. And that's what I got. I got a little exhaustion from reading every day about the new PGA Tour future. Doesn't mean I'm not excited about, you know, maybe some new new ways of thinking going on down there. But if the majors are still the majors, they will continue to stand out as everybody else shuffles, shuffle stack chairs in some instances, on sinking chips or tries to build a new ship all together. In the PGA Tours instance. Is that a fair sort of personal stance to take?
Speaker 3: I think the saying are the majors still the majors? That's what I'm going to care about, is a fair overarching position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably unfair to loop the PGA Tour changes in with whatever's going on with LIV. I don't mean to compare those two as if like they're equal and effort and and chance for success. But I've just sort of exhausted again about reading about all the business shit again, and the golf competitions that I will care about most will still be the majors.
Speaker 3: I think that's fair. What I was going to say is Brian Rolapp clearly has a vision for the way that the tour needed to change, And if you go layout with a twenty event schedule or twenty three, whatever the exact number ends up being, Memphis didn't really fit into that picture when you consider what's the best product, considering the market, considering the time of year, I don't think Memphis fit in that. So I don't think we can freak out every time we see an announcement that's kind of what we already expected. Like I honestly didn't have that big of a reaction to this, because I think this was expected. Memphis wasn't going to be part of the Championship Series.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. I think the potential that FedEx is lost as an umbrella sponsor is significant.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a.
Speaker 2: Change in era. Like the tour for as long as we've known it has like bent the knee to whatever FedEx wants and needs, and maybe rightfully so, I mean, I we were I felt like it was basically Jay Monahan was a FedEx drive truck driver, you know, he would do anything. They would do anything to appease FedEx, and maybe that was the right thing to do, But this feels like a change in course on that. If they're lost as the potential whatever the Cup is or Season one competition is, that's a big change in era almost twenty years.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I think we would all FedEx cub. The FedEx cub didn't work, and so it's probably just a case of FedEx wrote a way bigger check than maybe they should have. And you can understand a lot of the way that the tour operated for the past fifteen years through that lens and now that now that air is ending. So I don't know, it felt like it had to end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe the way getting out of Memphis is the start is sort of like the pulling the pin to hasten everything else. The way they're talking there there seems to be money the way they're talking. I don't know what the reality is money for, you know, I don't know if it's going to be you know, Bob simms Ford down on Market Street, come on down by a new F one fifty. It will be a proud partner of the opposite field event model. I don't know what all the There's like so many levels of sponsorship. There's main umbrella sponsors for challengers entire tours. There's you know, maybe twenty five thirty million, thirty five million dollars sponsors for Championship Series event. They're claiming a lot of different tiers of sponsorship interest and we'll see. Maybe that's that gives them the room to say FedEx to all right, we're out see it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm just being too uh gullible or giving role app too much benefit of the doubt, But I do kind of it like scrutinizing some of the decisions from Afar When he has access to so much more information about potential sponsors, I feel like he probably has this pretty in order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not scrutinizing it. I think I'm not saying you have it.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm more saying like there's there's freakouts off into like oh my goodness, like the tour is losing that and this is going to be this price, like no one's going to pay that, and then it gets announced that somebody wants to pay that, Like, I have a feeling Brian Rolapp has a pretty good sense of what he can what sponsorships are potentially available out there, So I don't know, it kind of seems like we're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it just seems like there's a lot of money at a lot of different levels that they have planned here.
Speaker 3: Interesting imagine trying to get a corn fairy tour type title sponsor.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, maybe we could spot you know how these bulls get like the pulan weed eat or ball like and it's not that much. Maybe that's where we're going. Maybe we could sponsor one. Maybe we drum up some cats, start to go fundme for the people to sponsor. I don't know, pick out a KFT event anyways, a big day I guess in the business of golf between the FedEx it is and then Live two point zero specifics TBD and they still got a month I guess to consummate the transaction, whatever it may be. But pen is the paper, per Scott O'Neil. We will maybe find a name out of who the investor is and what it is and when it's coming. But sounds like a two point oh I would say, is it's a shell of what Live was? Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I honestly, if you weren't watching Live now, I cannot imagine why you'd start watching Live two point zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some credit to keeping it alive in some form or fashion, to O'Neil and whoever you know, people that have been working on it, any other thing, any other thing to muse you from his talk musement park business. Didn't you shut out the amusement part?
Speaker 3: A lot of amuse me, Scott, starting with if you sign up, you know he spent roll theme park business. If you sign up for a roller coaster, you can't expect a carousel. I mean, that's amusing analogy, but also like kind of damning that he that he's I guess just saying out loud that he signed up for a roller coaster. I don't know that it would have been characterized as a roller coaster when he took the job.
Speaker 1: Right, right.
Speaker 2: Everything obviously changed in April and the piff it pulled out, So all right, Cott's quetchal Day Live two point zero on the horizon. We will talk about it, I'm sure on shotguns. Start on Friday, that is to come and have some some reaction on the website Friday Golf in our newsletter subscribe to that. We will talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Post for the st