Speaker 1: Walkuplily Ship Very Weird, Free walk glasshic mhm.
Speaker 2: Hello. My name is Buddy Peace. I'm a producer and editor, a d J, a music maker and non play character, and for intro and outro purposes, I'm temporarily standing in for your regular host and proud creator of this particular podcast, mister Brett Goldstein. As Prince once said, if a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind, then give me the electric chair for all my future crimes. Right, I've got a double bill of Green Mile and Monster's Ball to nine and I've never seen them, so no spoilers. I hope you wrote the earlier lyric and pencil Prince, as I think you'll be revisiting it tomorrow. Every week Brett invites a guest on, he tells them they've died, and then talks to them about their life through the medium of film. But this week we are revisiting an earlier episode of the podcast while we take a little break. Yes, indeed, is that time once again for a film to be buried with rewind Classic. This particular Rewind is from February the eighteenth, twenty twenty one, originally episode one, three five featuring actor comic and otherwise Kylee Smith Bino a lovely dip into the relatively recent past with a truly great actor and as a lot of you will know, Taskmaster guest, who joined Brett from the comfort of Guadaloupe in the Caribbean where he was filming. It is a lot of fun and a great revisit of a delightful episode. Just to say quickly as well that we will be returning to brand new episodes very soon. Thank you so much for joining us for the reruns while the dust slowly settles, and we will be issuing you with the newness in due course. Let me take this opportunity to also remind you that Brett has a Patreon page for the podcast, upon which you get a bonus section on every episode with a secret from each guest, more questions and a video of each episode which looks lovely. There are a selection of tears on there too, and on the uppermost tiers. I make you a cinematic soundtrack mixtape each month with full track list that I reckon. You'll enjoy it very much so if you are of a supporting nature and feel like some extras from this show. You'll find them all there. So that is it for now. Let us get you settled in for a really fun look back as super nice episode with the great Kyle Smith. Bino catch up the end for a quick sign off, But for now please enjoy episode one three five via Episode two nine four of Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a writer, a performer of comedy, a show creator, a show runner, a man surrounded by ghost, a man who likes to sell flats, one of the funniest people currently on British TV. Please welcome to the show The Brilliant Kyle Smith BYO.
Speaker 3: Yo. Well lovely is a lovely introduction?
Speaker 1: Now is in You're in Guadeloupe.
Speaker 3: I am in Guadeloupe.
Speaker 1: Yes, can you tell us why? What if you don't? He's escaped?
Speaker 3: So I am in Guadeloupe. Currently I'm filming Death and Paradise. I get to play a bad guy, which is fun. Haven't done that in a while. I'm out here for three weeks and I'm filming for four days, so I'm spending a lot of time on the beach reading.
Speaker 1: Lines and shit. Yeah. Yeah, do you know anyone else out there, anyone in the cast or anything, or you're all having to be separate?
Speaker 3: No, no, we're all together. I mean, we had to do about eleven COVID tests before we got out of here, So everyone is like, what, it's great.
Speaker 1: I mean, for those of you who are just listening, I'm looking at I mean, it's a joke what I'm looking at. He's got fucking blue skies. He's got a tree behind him, He's wearing a Hawaiian type shirt. He's got some guys he's on. He looks like he's having a lovely He looks like he's going what.
Speaker 3: It doesn't It doesn't look like I'm working, to be fair, Yeah, it doesn't feel like I'm working until I get a five am pickup tomorrow.
Speaker 1: When you say you're the bad guy, do you mean you're the killer done the death in Paradise?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not a killer?
Speaker 1: Or am I Do you get killed? No?
Speaker 3: I don't get killed. I don't get killed, but I am. I'm a suspect, so I might be the killer.
Speaker 1: Who is mister deaf in Paradise? Now?
Speaker 3: A rough little Oh nice. Yeah, we had a kick about last night.
Speaker 1: He's good on the ball. He lay on the beach.
Speaker 3: No on, there's black football calls behind the tennis calls behind the pool. Is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's like you're on a fucking eighteen to thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: We're doing diving contests, yeah, jumping in waterfalls. Kaya. We've never really had a chance to talk, but I've been a big fan of yours. I particularly think you are stunning. Can I say that stunning in staff Let's Flat, which I was about to say, I was thinking about this. I was about to say, you know, the hugely underrated stuff like Flat, as if it didn't win a ship turn of Baptists. You're so underrated. It's such a good show, and I'm delighted to hear you doing more. Unless you've heard something I haven't heard.
Speaker 3: No, we are we are, yeah, doing another one. Yeah, yeah, I'd kick off if we weren't. Yeah, massively. I'll be outside Channel four protesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll join you. Actually, And you've got what guys coming out?
Speaker 3: Guys Ghost is out, the second series is out, and then we start filming series three in February.
Speaker 1: Here's my question, then, so you don't know this brilliant comedy acting. I don't know much about your background. Did you do stand up? Did you How did you get into all this?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, I went to drama school and then I simultaneously made YouTube videos. So I did the proper way, the training and all that shit and jazz hands and singing, dancing, acting, Comedia de latte, all that shit. Yeah, and then I also just did some silly voices on YouTube, and then both of those sort of helped. But I don't know which one help more, to be fair. But I did a lot of my own YouTube videos, and my friends were doing YouTube videos, and I was just in and like happy to turn up and do whatever. Sometimes we didn't even have a script. We're just like, we'll see what we think of, we'll see what locations we can find, and then we'll just film something, have it. So yeah, I did a lot of that, and then that got attention to some producers who introduced me to Keevan Novak, who put me in a few things and a few pilots and brought me in a few writers rooms. So yeah, both of those helped, I guess, But No, I've never done a stand up I've done improv. Yeah, and I've been a part of like two improv groups and I go and perform and people shout spatula at you.
Speaker 1: You've got to tell me what the names of your improv groups.
Speaker 3: One's called Acting up It and one's called Battle as Great and Battle Acts are at the Fringe every year have done really quite well. They've been up there for like nine years, and people just turn up and because they know we're going to be there and it's going to be different every night. Some people there was a guy not last year, year before twenty nineteen, sorry, who came to every single show and I was like, that is nice, but fucking get alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did that person try to wear you as their skin?
Speaker 3: Not me particular, but there was another member of the group that he was particularly fond of and they're dead now.
Speaker 1: Wow, So do you want Do you want a k oh? Yes?
Speaker 3: I do. I've been working on some stuff and I got having development and blah blah blah, and people are like, we love it. I've got some feet. I've got some feedback a few weeks ago, which was it's not a yes, but it's not a no, which is bullshit.
Speaker 1: That's lovely.
Speaker 3: It's yes, is there anything?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it worth telling me?
Speaker 1: It's not made up of letters. It's more a mood. It's a feeling.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like a color. Yeah, so I was feeling about that. I don't know what that means. You might as well have not said anything.
Speaker 1: Well that's sort of technically what they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I've got another thing that we've just been asked to write another episode of. We wrote the pilot and sonight and deces for another one, which is cool.
Speaker 1: No yes, no, no, no no, So I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at least that way I'm getting money from that one. It's a tough game.
Speaker 1: Can I have some money for that? Well it's not a yes no no either, but so can I have some money?
Speaker 3: Yes? About that money?
Speaker 1: As I say, can't confirm. Yeah, your name.
Speaker 3: The thing is actually need to get home from here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, you know, I hear you. But are you hearing me? Because what I'm saying is it's not a yes. All right, but don't panic because it's no one I see, So off you off your pop. Thanks thanks for stopping.
Speaker 3: And that's why people steal.
Speaker 1: Oh, ship, ship, I forgot to tell you something. Oh yeah, bullocks, No, I should have said it up up top. God, I hate myself, I really do like them. I forgot something that I probably should have at least given your heads that point, right, I think you'd have suspected it. Looking at your surroundings. You look like you're in paradise coincidence. I feel like I am you've died. You've died. Yeah, man, I'm quite serious, quite quite serious. A sorry, how did you that is?
Speaker 3: That is annoying?
Speaker 1: Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I ordered some I ordered some stuff and it came after I got it. I ordered some stuff to come away and it arrived after I got it. So I was like, I'm looking forward to getting back and then trying those. I'm not gonna be able to try them.
Speaker 1: Now. What was it you do or died?
Speaker 3: Just some clothes, some more sunglasses, some fancy shirts.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I'm less worried about that now because you the fancy shirts and the sunglasses you need now, like if you if they ever arrived in England, But what's the fucking point?
Speaker 3: Well that, yeah, they were for they weren't for this, but they came too late but now I'll never be able to try them on.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's the worst part of this, but okay, yeah, all right, how did you die? I mean, let's check it on that. How did you die?
Speaker 3: And arrow?
Speaker 1: Really nice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, flame, flaming bow and arrow right in the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was walking across, so just like looking around and trying to like explore, see what's around. I'd walked onto archery pitch.
Speaker 1: You on the archery pitch, yeah, yeah, archery pitch? Yeah, what's it called Brown archery Stadium? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: The archery materie.
Speaker 1: You've got into the archery merchury, right, because you are not your fault. You didn't know you you didn't know there was such a thing there.
Speaker 3: You are, no, no, no, I was just exploring the place. But I don't understand why the arrows were on fire. I don't really get what that has to do.
Speaker 1: It feels targeted to me. That's what I don't like about it. It feels not quite an accident, the fact that they lit the arrows. Yeah, but you were just walking through whistling.
Speaker 3: I was doing a hopper skip and a jump really, yeah, because having such a great time, and then.
Speaker 1: And they got you in the head midjump, mid mid hop or mid skip jump up in the air. Really, that's a good shot up in the air. That's a good shot for them. I think that's ten points you get someone mid jump. Really, so who do you know who shot you with a flaming arrow?
Speaker 3: They could have my points, but they can never have my sunglasses. I think it's I think it's staff, just basic stuff, just just some staff of the grounds grounds, archery grounds, No, no, the archery Mercury, Archery, Marcharie.
Speaker 1: I think part of why they had targeted you was your complete disrespect for the for their name, at their names and jumps. You've been calling them start for a week.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, staff, I've literally got a name badge, okay, rude.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm not saying I will learn your name, but I'm mostly not saying I want so anyway, stuff you've been do you god at this age as well? Like it just happened. In fact, do you worry about death? Yes, talk to me. You've come to the right place. This is very open from me. Actually, I actually go to therapy because of death anxiety. Really oh wow, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's why. That's that's why my therapy. That's why my therapy started.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you telling that. What can I ask from a little more like has it always been that way or a sudden new thing that developed to.
Speaker 3: I think There's been like points throughout my life where I've been like, oh shit, this isn't forever, and then get over it. But I think twenty eighteen there was some some shift where I didn't really get over it right, and I was like, what is wrong with me? And I tried loads of stuff and I'd like I stopped drinking for six months because I thought it was just like negativity in the mind that was also fueled by alcohol trade a lot more. Yeah, I was just very like I was quite lost. And then the final step was like and talk to someone about our problem. And I did it and the best thing I've ever done. Great and now I can just like talk about it. And that was I mean, it was twenty September between nineteen I.
Speaker 1: Started right, so it's been okay, just so really, yeah, I should have got our present. Well, this is a very personal question. You don't have us. Had something happened in twenty eighteen that you think kind of triggered that bigger version of it or was it.
Speaker 3: Looking back now? Yes, I think it is. When my dad died, that's when I was like, oh h but he had a good run. He had twelve kids, he had eighty one years, twelve kids, a great time. Yeah, man, And yeah, I think that that is well. I was told that is what triggered it, and just thought my understanding of grief and it was a bit of that mixed with what I had before into a little depressive potion. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a little part of despair exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that lasted far, way too long, but yeah, the best way I did. And I can't recommend it enough to everyone, even if you feel fine all the time.
Speaker 1: Other than managing it, I suppose do you do you actually have a different outlook on death now from this therapy or not? Is it? Is it still the same?
Speaker 3: What is your No, I think it's still the same. I'm just more accepting and I'm encouraged to enjoy life rather than to fear death.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Yeah, I really appreciate that. So in your view, what's your view and what happens when you die? What do you think happens and is that part of your fear?
Speaker 3: Well, I hope. I mean I grew up. My man used to stay to church on a Sunday. Then I stopped going for a while, and then I started going by myself, and then I stopped again, and then my mom started going. And now my relationship of the church as I go when it's Christmas. Right. But I pray a lot, and I do believe in after life and a heaven and a hell of sorts. And I'm I just hope that I'm a good boy and good enough for Saint. Is it Peter Gabriel?
Speaker 1: Peter, I believe it's Peter Peter Gabriel. When it tells you you've got a baby in you, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Yes, he's a pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Want he's the pregnancy saying.
Speaker 3: Why why is a pregnancy called Angel Gabriel?
Speaker 1: Such a such such a good idea for a pregnancy test company with you. Yeah done, that's a firm yes for me.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh finally.
Speaker 1: You Gabriel test God. That's a great idea. And the picture is like wing it's across across means yeah, it's a baby.
Speaker 3: Yes. I can't wait to piss.
Speaker 1: All over that that that would be, That would be a spiritual way I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so hopefully it will say do you know what, mate, You've done? All right, go on in and I'll go to like an Alia concert.
Speaker 1: What do you think the criteria for going to hell is? Do you think it's quite quite a low bar? Like what?
Speaker 3: I really hope that you've got to be real but a real piece of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also like in church or school or one of them places. I remember reading that that someone's definition of hell was just a place without God. I like that a lot, so I was like, yeah, so that's interesting. And also like some religions believe in pagatri some don't. I don't really know what I believe when it comes to that.
Speaker 1: I just hope that we all go to a nice place in the sky that looks quite a lot like that. Yeah. Well, the truth is, you have you're there, You're in heaven. It happened, you passed, you passed, but barely it was real. I had to have quite a There was a real negotiation because there was some stuff brought up, and I was like, I don't think that it was a different time, and they're all doing it anyway. You've got you're in Heaven's great it's an earlier concept. Everything exactly. You love it, but everyone's obsessed with you. They want to know about your life, but they want to know about your life through film, And the first thing they ask you is what's the first film you remember seeing.
Speaker 3: It's kind of between two because I don't know if I finished these films or if these were just films like I just saw that were on or what I've never seen Fantasia yeah, and think, oh, it's just fun. Well, there's so much going on, and I have that on the HF and I'd watched that quite a lot, So Fantasia was in my early memories. Then this film, I'm like, is this one? I don't know if it is one of the earliest ones or if it's it's just stuck in my memory from being young. But I don't know if it's like one of the first The Three Ninjas, yeah, I remember, was there an I can't remember if there was an old one before they remade, if there was like a remake.
Speaker 1: There was a sequel. There were definitely sequels that came out and they were like there was I think there's a good three three three Ninja films, and then possibly more directed TVD type ones.
Speaker 3: That when I think of like watching a film from the beginning to end, that is the one I think of, Like first three ninjas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, did that make you want to be in films or want to be a ninja?
Speaker 3: And made me want to kick the ship out of everything in the house? Yeah, do some flips.
Speaker 1: What number are you? Of twelve children?
Speaker 3: I'm the youngest, and I also didn't grow out with them.
Speaker 1: You're a number twelve?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's some of them I didn't meet until two years ago. Wow. But I mean, out of the twelve, some of them are quite shit. So like, I'm probably better off without meeting them.
Speaker 1: What's the score at twelve? How many good ones I'd save?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Five like really good, like great ones that I would like, happy to chat to you anytime they call me an answer. Then there's like, wait, how't is left?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Okay, So then there's four yea that they ring me and I wonder what they want. I'll call them back, okay. And then there's three that ship really and if they rang me, I'd know that somebody else died because that could be the only thing that they're calling me for. Not interested in them, but they equally weren't interested in me growing up, So to.
Speaker 1: Be fair, once got me now yeah look at you now dead. Once the twelve the twelve comes along, you've probably a bit like yeah, you know what I mean, like like, yeah, we get it, we get it with.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the film that scared you the mice? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 3: No? Not really, I'm not. No, I don't really want to pay for it. Also, my mind, my mind wanders, so I don't want to be stuck on things like something that I've seen in a film. I could just like I know that, I'm just going to be thinking about that for days. But the film that's scared of the most definitely Skeleton Key is it? Yeah, we terrified me? Okay, I definitely cannot remember that. What I do remember is that at the end, when the guy who lives and works in the house or lives in the house or know the granddad or something, and his is the soul of someone else that's been trapped in that body and he can't speak or like communicate and he's just trapped inside his body. I can't do anything. I'm like what, And that lives with me for far too long to this day. Actually, I think that is the scariest thing possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she becomes him right or yes, yeah yeah, and she at the end is like winking, but it's not really. Yeah. I was pretty scary, terrified me. Yeah. You probably don't want to be scared if your mind is already heavily occupied with death. Yeah, man, or movies probably aren't. You aren't your bag, and that's fair.
Speaker 3: No, I do. I like a thriller. I like silly, scary, like scream. I like that, okay where you can just like you just shout on the TV for two hours ago, don't go in there, and then they do go in there.
Speaker 1: I lowed you not to go in there. No, look like what you've done, well, you only got yourself to play.
Speaker 3: You're all in bits. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: What's the film that made you cry the most mistact too?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: What a nice answer that has never come up before.
Speaker 3: I don't actually know what part of it made me. No, I know what part of it. I don't know why I was crying. I remember as if it was yesterday and I was in my living room and I was sat on the floor watching Sister Act two that was on television, so I couldn't rewind it. And it was the bit where the kids that way I came in of what his name is in the in the film, but he really comes out of his shell and he's hitting them nuts towards the end in a happy day when they're seeing a happy day, and I started crying. And I must have been about I must have been about six seven, and I'd never associated crying with anything other than being really sad or scared, And for some reason, I was crying because I was loving it so much, So that was a really new thing for me. But also I do think it's the first and last time I've cried a film.
Speaker 1: Shut that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: You haven't cried it a film since you was six?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Do you cry in life? No? Not much? So you haven't cried sinto you were six?
Speaker 3: Oh no, wait, I have I cried. I've done a couple of funerals. Yeah, I've done a couple of funerals.
Speaker 1: Cut tears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been a few funerals that I've been I've shed a little tear for the manden abandoned one of the man then being my dad and granddad, ands and then some other but well, it's only been at really sad events, i e. Death, but not crying out my own death right now.
Speaker 1: Actually, no, you know, you seem pally odd. I think it's because you're delighted you made it to Devin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true. Yeah, I think I think there may have been a breakup that I cried at when I was like twenty two twenty three.
Speaker 1: Why do you think you don't really cry?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm quite open with my emotions and stuff, and I'm quite like I feel like I'm quite open and honest, but that it just doesn't really work.
Speaker 3: Oh, I remember we did. I'll try and me this shot. We did a thing at drama school called living history, where you have to live through a moment in history where there's conflict and the whole year group is split into two and some people represent one side of the conflicts and some of the others, so like, for example, we have the Israel versus Palestine, or the Protestants and Flix in Ireland, or I was I was just about to say something that I don't know if it's true or if it's even I don't know where this has come from? In my head, I've got bosnia. I don't know what's going on. There, probably lots, but for some reason, that's in my head. And there was I feel like that was one of the living history experiences. But we do that. We do two weeks of contexts and solid research, and then you live as these people for two weeks, all day, every day, not all day, sorry, ten to six every day for two weeks, and it is mental and it's all you think about, and it's all you dream about, and you like, you go somewhere very weird. And I get why they do it, but also I feel like the school needs to consider some aftercare because some people go mad during these sax Anyway, there was playing a sixty year old man who had three daughters and whose wife had been killed and one of my daughters on one of the days. Because they brief you in the morning and they say, okay, so today is four days on from yesterday or it's been a week, or it's been six months or whatever, and you get a brief and you get told what to do, and then they ring a bell and you've got half an hour to get into character at the start, and then at the end of the day, they ring a bell and you've got half an hour to come out, and a lot of people start going and shouting at trees to then or whatever that's after get you get to shout a tree, make your favorite tree, and.
Speaker 1: Shouting anyway trees. They've been in there.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it's shanged since I've been there. Yeah, they're worrying their cousins and other countries and getting torn down. I don't know. I'm in London. I've made it. And then get shout at back. So one of my daughters falls in love with and so we were on the Palestinian side of the role play, and one of my daughters falls in love with an Israeli soldier and runs off. And I have never cried by that ever in my life. And like it was something during drama school that I knew that, like it was a barrier that I had, and I think I may have mentioned it once to one teacher, And I think that they really pick up on all the things that you say because you're learning about yourself and then about others and then about how to put that into characters. And yeah, that was like a big moment for me of like balling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fast, this daughter that I've had for a week. Yeah yeah, I mean look obviously, on one on the one end, this sounds absolutely mental. On the other hand, it's fascinating and I'm yea, I bet it was also fun, really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: The bit I can't go to get my head around is at six o'clock when they wring the benue will come out. You just go to the pub and go fucking hell weird when.
Speaker 3: It today when you really stab me? Uh there is I've got a little a little side story where at the time is in Debden, and Devden at the time was heavily influenced BNP and there had been incidents of people getting attacked on their way from school, on their way home or to the station or whatnot. And there were a few things that happened, and there were two gay guys that had been beating up as they were holding hands on the high street and it was terrible. It was really like it was really bad, and the police were sometimes around the school and things like that. Simultaneously, there were stories going on within the Living History where there were like subplots and there were like loads of like secret things going on and people were constantly being pulled away to be told something in their air and other things that other people went away on. And there was one day I remember, and we would dig in, because that's what we did over there. We would dig in and making a news shout, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw some people in the bushes and then I was like, there was me trying to be in character and be like, oh, it's the kids, like the kids, because we've got people that are also We've got twenty year olds that are also playing nine year olds. Yeah, and I'm a twenty year old playing a sixty five year old. And when you've got all of that, and a part of me thought maybe just the kids, And then I started thinking about the BNP stuff, and I was like, what if it's these guys that have just like seeing us all in our robes and stuff and our head wear and all that, or like do you know what I'm gonna go and sight these or like whatever, like because people have been beaten up and they've been attacked and stuff, and I just like my mind is going over time as it does, and I threw various items into the bush. But yeah, then there was like a of time out and we were told that, like there are things going on and whatever you saw, you saw. But yeah, that that.
Speaker 1: Well, as in the Thing in the Bush, was actors not being yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah. But in my mind when the people come to smash out the.
Speaker 1: Gap, yeah, and I'm going to kill Yeah, so I was because I'm sixty five and I'm not going down with fight exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've come this far. My daughter's a spot off. I'm human.
Speaker 1: I've never cried so much in my life. I'm not. I'm not having this. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope that they're they're doing it with more care now, but I do think it is still something that they should do, but maybe maybe just a bit more carefully.
Speaker 1: It's like that Sandford prison experiment in it. Yeah, I'll kill each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we would have if it wasn't for that belt. We're all about to kill each other as well.
Speaker 1: What's the film that people don't like? They don't like it critically, it's not acclaimed, but you love it unconditionally. Great answer.
Speaker 3: Hearing that film all day long. I'll watch any bit of it. If I turn on the TV and I see that any part of this I'm sitting down, stopping everything I'm doing. I'm watching that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sexy as fuck, that film. And yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. I don't know what I was thinking about. Jennifer Anderson, and I was thinking, you know the day watch that you can't watch that.
Speaker 3: Anytime she is she meets anyone called miss Missus Smith.
Speaker 1: She's triggered. Oh well, now that Smith is it? You're all pranking me. No, it's genuinely it's a very popular name. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry Smith, that is a real name. There's a hundred people here. You're telling me someone else is called missus Smith? Yeah, yeah, where's astut there? Come on, come on, you bunk is it? What is the film that means the most to you? Unnecessarily the film itself is any good, but because the experience you had around seeing the film that will always make it precious to you.
Speaker 3: Death becomes her go on. I was too young to watch that film when I watched it. I just watched this one and I was like, Wow, this guy is amazing, and also like I couldn't have got a plot because I was too young. So I'm like, I'm sure I don't know what was going on, But I just I was really like fascinated by this film. And it's really it's quite uh, it's quite quirky, and it's a bit like creepier points. But when she falls down the stairs and stuff and gets up and her body is all like fucked, my body's really fun. It's really fun and all of that stuff. I just I just loved it. But there was two There was that film and there was a man with two brains, which I sometimes get confused.
Speaker 1: Well, look, death becomes there is a good film, memity Brains is an masterpiece. Yeah, Brains where the funnies films ever made? But why is it so special to you?
Speaker 3: It was Steve Martin's performance for me, and like like how funny he was and just how silly it is as well. Also, I think it might have been the first time that I've seen them woman maked in a film.
Speaker 1: I was like, what what's going on? How come I look at how come what checking the door to see my mom's coming in? What is this magic? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was just a fantastic viewing experience.
Speaker 1: That's great. What's the film we most relate to?
Speaker 3: In my head? This is not true at all, but in my head, I've got to get.
Speaker 1: Rich of pame okay, say no more.
Speaker 3: For some reason that just pop straight into my head. I don't know, it's different. I mean, do you know what it is? For me? And music films really inspire me to want to do something with my music. Again, that's how well I used to do I used to wrap. Yeah, yeah, more so before Drama score. But I was really into it. I was really passionate about the music. And then I kind of stopped for a while. And then when I watched films like Hustle and Flow or that actually one oh what's it called blood? Hell? There's an actually one? What else is the music film? There's one that came out recently with Anthony Hand on Netflix, and all this music journey is they really inspire me. So yeah, I think like Hustle and Flow, I mean I could relate to it in terms of the passion and trying to make it and try to make something happen, and then getting something and making something good and then trying to replicate that and then constantly like chasing something that you had and just like the distermination and the passion and that. However, I'm not a pimp.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay, that's disappointing because I should have said that first. Sorry, you should have Yeah, because I was thinking I'm getting an exclusive here. He's going to stay, he's got to stay a bit of women and this would be interesting. But yes, yeah, yeah, yeah kind of act. Yeah, well those journeys really Yeah. I really like to see that, you know your thing that you love. And sister act too with a person thinking they can't sing and singing the mats, I fucking love that. And in Hustling Flow is one of my favorite favorite all time, some of the things they can't sing sing where he gets her to sing and she sings quietly and he and he hits her on the stomach and he says, sing from here, from here, and then she sings in the camera guys in like on a zoom. Fuck, it's beautiful. And then when he plays it back to her as you can hear her own voice, yeah, smiles, Ah, what say she's so good as well? She's so good?
Speaker 3: And eight mile eight miles as well, all those sort of music things like I really relate to those, just trying to make something happen, but usually usually it's a music thing, just because of my passion for music, rather than like good Fella's trying to be against her or Donny Raspel.
Speaker 1: I'd like you to get back into the music. Please please clear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I might.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I wasn't half bad.
Speaker 1: Obviously you're not going to do any now, are you. What's the Obviously I'm not going to get exclusive down. What's the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Smoking Natives?
Speaker 1: Go on?
Speaker 3: I just think it's so like, it's so stylishous, so cool. Everyone's fit. Alicia Keys is in it. Yeah, like any of the characters, I could just be like, I want to dress up as there would be there. I think it's a really sexy film. I mean apart from when everyone's like getting shot and down. Yes, yeah, but also I think there's also Lucky number seven. Go on, I think that that film, Like I don't know if this makes sense, but I feel like the dialogue is sexy. I'm also like, I've googled those guys that wrote that film and they haven't written anything together since.
Speaker 1: Right, too sexy, too sexy, too sexy to right anymore? Yeah, they ca them and said, I'm sorry, yeah, sexy, We're gonna have to drop you. The same thing happens. We were just saying forever said Fred, Sorry, guys, sorry that that's a film that I've watched again, like number seven. Yeah, isn't.
Speaker 3: That I need to see it again?
Speaker 1: There you go. You only watch the ones you really love. Basically, your criteria is a bit too sexy. I watch it again. What. Yeah, there's a sub category to this question traveling bone is worrying. Why don't what's the film you found a rousing that you thought maybe you shouldn't have.
Speaker 3: Right, You're gonna have to hear me out when I say that, Okay, here we go. What I watch Spring Breakers?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I was like, this is like, I mean, the lifestyle that James's character was living was great for him, but looking for the outside in it's a bit like rough and Ship. But I felt like it was really like, I mean, hey, they put it all over the billboards, guns and girls, and there's something about that that is like, yeah, man, I'm just fucking I'm this guy just scaring me and I got these girls and I was like, I want to live that life. I want do that. It makes me. It's a bit like watching Dandels Aian's Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get I get that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I want to get on a I want to get a yacht was Instagram models? Yeah't do that.
Speaker 1: Maybe Spin Breakers is a perfect example, but it made me feel a bit like, No, I think Spring Records is one is one big traveling boner of the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. And I also I thought he was really good.
Speaker 1: He is good.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the problem. He's very good. It's a shame. What's objectively the greatest film of all time? You'fraid the Rabbit? That is a top quality answer, top quality film? Okay, yeah, mom?
Speaker 3: That and I think, actually, I don't know if this is a question. Is this a little question? Top three films?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, okay, do you want to say films? Who Rabbit? Yeah, Rock and Roller? A goofy movie, A.
Speaker 1: Goofy movie is in your top three? You know, someone did a tweet about a goofy movie that made me laugh so much, And the tweet was a Disney exec in the nineties, feet up on the desk, leaning back in dead chair with a cigar. Goofy should have a dead wife. Yes, that's interesting. I love that film. Why does it give you maybe touch your heart so much?
Speaker 3: I just think like all the songs are absolutely fucking bangers. And the story about Matt's just go around his rod with his dad this fine that he wants to like go to this concert with his friends, and he's got to choose between his relationship with his dad and all his friends and just doing all these ship things that he doesn't want to do his campaign, like with that fat pig looking dog.
Speaker 4: Was he the pig dog maighbor with a camp of van? There's one.
Speaker 3: There is one part of the film that does make me a little bit sick when the guy his friend, the one with the glasses that's like the kind of like good chill out squirtch cheese directly into his mouth out of the camp right. I can't remember what is what his name is, but he's got that cheese camping and that makes me feel stick every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the low point in the Google movie. Yeah, I love that answer today. What's what's the film that you can or have? What's the most over and over again?
Speaker 3: Rock and Roller? Actually, do you know what? It's either Rock Roller or nine? Remember Nine, the Daniel d Lewis film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of those two. When I was in drama school, we didn't pay TV license and I had a tiny little television that my mum had warned me about and said that if I do watch live TV on it, the police are going to come and throw me in jail. So I watched the only two DVDs I had, which was a Rock and Roller at Night and nine was just like sort of background, but Rock.
Speaker 1: And Roller I was.
Speaker 3: I would actually watch every time, and I love it. I love that film and I'm quite quite heavily influenced by it, I think in what ways in like some performances, I just feel there's so many iconic characters in there. I thought that Mark Strong and that was like unbelievable. Yeah, and the idea of like mumbles On one two and Gorgeous George. No, that's a different film. What's Tom Hardy's characters called the Rock and.
Speaker 1: Roller gorgeous gorgeous George of George.
Speaker 3: Ah, the matters of gorgeous George. I think it is gorgeous George. I can't remember handsome Bob bloody. Hell, handsome Bob bloody. Yeah, it's handsome of course. Yeah, and their friendship, but also their criminal activity. But they're just like they're not perceived to be bad guys at all, actually very nice, good guys. They just do crimes as a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love it.
Speaker 3: I really love it.
Speaker 1: I thought nine the film nine is it's quite mad in that it's about a filmmaker who keep having fantasies about his film, but all his fantasies are of plays, are of stage performances, of dance numbers. And I always think you're not a very interesting filmmaker because your imagination is entirely based in the on the stage. There's no visual mate. Yeah, I think you're in the wrong game, mate. You want to be doing plays a musical because you can't visualize a film at any point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big time.
Speaker 1: And you're meant to be like one of the great film directors, but literally kind of have you ever visualized the film if you've seen the film, Because the way you imagine films is place. You should go to the theater. You'd love it. It's all plays. It's all like that the theater.
Speaker 3: Mad make the costume for anything.
Speaker 1: She loves it. She loves it. Probably more efficient, stop dreaming in in place weird in it. Weird choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some good songs.
Speaker 1: In that great so listen. And then one of one of Daniel de Lewis's maddest performances, like a fun fun one, and it's like he's having fun. He's doing a funny voice. He's having a bit of fun. You go, he's listening to isn't he having a bit of fun? Yeah, He's like my mummy, Yeah, mommmy, I cannot visualize a film.
Speaker 3: Can you confirm that that is a line from the film.
Speaker 1: Mommy, I cannot finish my film without putting curtons and a presidium match for it.
Speaker 3: It's a woman from the James Bond films.
Speaker 1: She is so pretty. I wonder if she can't dance on the stage in a stage formation. We don't like to be negative. To do it quick. What's the worst film you have ever seen?
Speaker 3: Caman?
Speaker 1: Cat Woman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very Caman. Although on the flight here I watched Birds of Prey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I'm not one for ten films off really, even if it's just about average, I'm like, oh, I'll sit through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that one that had a go yeah, I'm like, you're out of here, And I said that go next.
Speaker 1: To me, Not you, mate, I'm talking to birds of Prey. Don't worry about it. Beat it. Birds of prey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real bad. But no, Catwoman West, that's the worst one I'm going to.
Speaker 1: I think she'd agree with you, Eli Berry. From what I understand, it's a shame you're you're in comedy. You're very funny. What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 3: Good Burger?
Speaker 1: Good Burger? Keenan Kel the greatest double activial time, that's right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was the first time in my life that I have a priory have laughed at and I finished me. I think I was sick. I vomited for my funny I was.
Speaker 1: I worry about Kel a lot of the time, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I google him quite often.
Speaker 1: Is he all right? Is he busy? Because I was, you know, Keenan's fine. I just don't let them being sitting not together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there was a lot of rumors that he died as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it was very amazing.
Speaker 3: It like a Jackie Channelan. You know that people always are Jackie Chands dead.
Speaker 1: But you don't know that every day. Where did you grow up morning? What's happened. Jackie Chan's dead, Jackie Chann's dead again.
Speaker 3: Facts because he does his own stunts and it so everyone was like, one day it will take us stunt too far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very believable. So kaya you've been phenomenal. I've loved this, absolutely love this. You've been brilliant. There's been a treat and a pleasure. However, when you were strolling about Guadaloupe, just having his stroll, looking around, having spent a week calling everyone that worked frankly near you, not for you, not not not even part of the hotel you were staying in, you called them all stuff and you didn't realize that all these people he hadn't he has had different jobs. Like there was a guy that was like, he's the mayor of the town you're in, and you called him stuff like you had.
Speaker 3: Just such his staff to somebody.
Speaker 1: You had such little respect for all the people that worked around you, and they what you didn't know about the Quada Lupins is that they play a lot of archery, and they were all on the archery martery and you were wondering about and ironically for someone who's open them with man on fire, whose favorite opening sequences ghost Rider, man whose Head is on Fire. You'd think you'd enjoy this, but there you were. You wander onto the archery martery and you get shot by accident wink wink in the head. You were doing a hop skipp and a jump. You were mid jump and a arrow which unusually for them, they don't usually do this, but they had set it on fire, got you straight in the head, and your head went on fire. Much like a ghost rider. You fell to the ground. And I would describe the atmosphere as a celebration from all the stuff jumping around dancing. I hear this noise. I'm like, what's going on over there? Sounds like a party's happening. I head over it. I think there's a I mean it's quite dark, but I think there's like a bonfire. I think there's some sort of something like just people seem so excited and you get near it and it's you. Your head's on fire, and then and I go, what the fuck, come on, guys, and I put you out. That's all right. I had a bottle of water, so it took ages. But and if I'm honest, I ended up having to stamp on quite large parts of you to get the last bits of planes and because of the amount of a lot of it, like crumble is, I won't lie, it wasn't pretty. But anyway, I've got a coffin with me, so I start to pack you in the coffin, but you're in a dreadful state, and there's like party poppers on you that have stuck to you, and there's like, you know, a literal box of the celebrations chocolates have been chopped all over you. Anyway, man, it's to vac you in the coffin. I'll pack you in, but it's absolutely round in there with with all the celebrations and hats and party poppers. There's only enough room in this coffin for one DVD that I can slide in the side with you to take over to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night, and one night it's your movie night. What film are you taking to show everyone on the other side.
Speaker 3: I'm taking Training Day, one of.
Speaker 1: The best films. Yeah, you know, one of my favorite scenes in all cinema history. First scene between Denzel and Ethan Hawk in the cafe and Training Day trying to read my paper. Absolutely love the dialogue in that scene. It's beautiful, great answer. They're gonna have a lovely time, and no one's brought it. I think after the way you went out, people are gonna be delighted they did let you into Eavan.
Speaker 3: Thank you go too.
Speaker 1: And now you're dead and I can take our business idea of a St. Gabriel prevancy test.
Speaker 3: Will you donate fifty the charity of my choosing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your charity? My my bank account, your bank, your bank. I like that too. That's a very lovely I do a lot, a lot of good work. Actually, kayee yes, it's not a yes, and it's not a no, it's a it's a thank you. I've had a lovely time and I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time. Have a lovely death, good day, goodbye.
Speaker 2: So that was Kyle Smith BYO on a rewind Classic episode. Be sure to check out the Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein where you get extra chat video and mixtapes of various tears and otherwise. If you fancy leaving an open Apple Podcasts, that would be lovely too. But make a review of your favorite film much more fun and Brett and maure In love nothing more than reading them. It is gratefully appreciated. Thank you so much to Kyle smith by No for fun times and presents on the podcast. Thanks to Scrubia Spip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to and this is where Brett normally thanks me for editing and producing the podcast, so I say it is a pleasure. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and to Lisa Lyden for the photography. We'll be back next week with another Rewine classic. But that is it for now. Brett and I and all of us have films to be buried with. Hope you're all very well in the meantime, have a lovely week, and now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 3: Bass back by the bat backs out. Body says out. Bass bad backs out, says bass back