Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the overland journ podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Scott Brady, and I'm here with Jason Speck. Now, Jason has been in this industry for a very long time. I've enjoyed watching his videos. They've done trips around the country, but they really specialize in the East Coast and West Virginia in particular. And I am having a great time right now at Camp Cheat. So this is a historic lodge, and Jason's going to tell us all about this incredible story of people like Henry Ford and Edison going out and overlanding in the early nineteen hundred. So, Jason, thanks so much for being on the podcast today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Scott, thanks for having us.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Nitto Tire for supporting this week's podcast. The Terrain Grappler G three is the third generation of one of Overlanding's most trusted all terrain tires. A new compound and tread pattern delivers improved wet traction and a three peak mountain snowflake certification. Improved uniformity reduces road noise while still ensuring performance on the road and in the backcountry, and for even bigger news, The G three is now available and up to thirty seven inch sizes, but my personal favorite is the new two fifty five eighty R seventeen that I'm testing on my Quartermaster. This is the first all terrain available in that size, and since payload matters, the G three is lighter than most competitive all terrains. Nidto backs the G three with their best treadware warranty ever. That means seventy thousand miles for hard metric sizes and fifty five thousand miles for LT and flotation. For more information, visit nitotire dot com. Thanks Nidto.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk through a little bit of your backstory. I mean I've known you, we've met a few times in the past, but I don't know your whole story. So what first got you interested in the outdoors?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow, the outdoors? You know, I grew up you know, playing in the woods behind the house, sure, building forts, just like most kids in rural America if they have woods and forests in their backyards. But was a boy scout and eagle scout. I would say that that propelled me into with the wilderness and backpacking, and that's kind of where everything started. Was you know, what can we do human power pursuits, fell in love with whitewater and you know, hiking, and slowly it kind of adapted that into you know, using my vehicle to keep myself places, and that's kind of where it all started as a team, you know, and the whole Mountain State Overland project that started on the banks of a river in West Virginia and us reflecting on you know, other people that were you know, showcasing this overland lifestyle and this hobby. So that was really the drive with outdoor recreation has been a big part of my life.
Speaker 2: The Boy Scout thing is I mean I was in the Boy Scout for a small period of time and I just remember learning a lot from that. I remember going to Catalina Island, and you know, I think as a young as a young man, it's really important or as a young boy in many cases when you kind of get started into it, but it's just such an important time of your life to be outdoors, to learn skills, to work, to learn to work as a team.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Los Angeles. I was in the city, so to be able to go with my dad out on a Scout trip and learn something or or just to be a little uncomfortable, I think is important. What would you say or some of the things that the Scouts taught you that you've brought throughout your whole life.
Speaker 3: I think it just opened up a world of opportunities for me in general preparess, Like I mean, just you know, the motto is like be prepared. You know, it built confidence, It built no how you know, everything from you know, starting a fire to properly packing your backpack so you can you know, lug the weight over twenty thirty forty miles. Right, So those simple things understanding equipment, talk about equipment, I mean we talk about that with overlanding. The options are endless, right, And I think that, you know, it really opened me up to being comfortable. Generally, there was merit badges about everything, some things you didn't want to learn about the project itself, for you know, Eagle was very time consuming. We run to the gun under stress, like right before my eighteenth birthday. I remember all that very vividly, But more importantly, I think just general preparedness.
Speaker 2: Was there a favorite Mary badge that you got, one that you look back and like that was cool?
Speaker 1: I know, my least favorite let's do that.
Speaker 3: It was personal finance. I think that's still my weak point today.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: I don't know really what would have been my favorite. I think the wilderness. As we start talking about Camp Cheete here, we've got our friend Rick Stowe's out with our guests right now. They're foraging, you know, through the wilderness and he's teaching them, you know, how to build a bow and drill and you know, how to start a fire with flint, you know, and that that experience. I was actually watching Rick and thinking like it was so cool when I was a scout and I was doing wilderness survival and they just stuck us out in the woods with a box of matches and they said, we'll come check on you guys in the morning. Good night.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So we had to build our own little fort and we had like a one of those sleeping sacks or whatever, you know, the emergency blankets, right. But I was like, yeah, that was fun because that's what I did as a kid. When we first started talking, it was like we went out and we built forts in the backyard. You know, that's just what we did.
Speaker 2: So that was my favorite, and I think that, you know, for those that are listening. When you consider the equipment that you've purchased through the years, it's the training and the testing of the stuff in the field that is one of the most important components of it. I think the more that we learn, the less stuff that we actually need to bring. But if you've got a winch on your vehicle, when's the last time that you used it? Not when you're under duress and you're stuck, but like, let's set up a scenario. Yes, I'm going to set up a scenario where we're pretending that the vehicle is stuck and I'm going to pull out all my gear and next thing, you know, like oh shoot, like I remember I.
Speaker 1: Took that shackle out and I let gim borrow it or whatever.
Speaker 2: If we use our equipment and we're not using it in anger, we're not using it under duress. When we're using it in a training environment or in a testing condition, that's so important to keep those skills sharp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you said, like, what did you get out of scouting that's helped you be where you're at today. It was like feeling comfort about using the equipment, And you know, the winch is a perfect example because everybody feels like they need to have it that when was the last time you spooled it out? It's not packed with mud? Is you're remote? If you have a remote? Is it where is it? Is it charged? Is it ready to go? Is your abrasion guard you know, squashed up in the school like you can't? Can you pull it out? Like all of that stuff because when when things go sideways, you need to be prepared, right, Like, that's the whole idea. So we're constantly, you know, on these trips that we do, we walk our guests through all of that in the beginning and saying like you have all this equipment, let's get your recovery equipment out so it's there when we need it so we can improvise and we can handle this matter and get you out safely and quickly.
Speaker 2: One of the things I love from this morning with the teaching Rick is doing is all the things that they're using the knives for, Like they're doing notching and they had to go out and get a basically a whittle stick to try a bunch of different techniques. And you know, he talked a lot about safe talked a lot about kind of making sure that there's no one around you that you might accidentally injure, and then how to be really.
Speaker 1: Careful about not injuring yourself.
Speaker 2: But you think about at the end of the day today, these people that are we've got about twenty people here, don't.
Speaker 3: We, Yeah, sixteen guests, and we have six Yes staff members, and then there's actually staff that are cooking dinner for Yes year too.
Speaker 2: So there's quite a few people that are learning this skill today and they've probably never used their knife in that way. They've opened a lot of Amazon boxes, I'm sure, but like, how many times do we really use our knife to create something? In this case, I saw them creating, you know, kindling for starting a fire. They're learning how to use the blade properly. And that's one of the things when I saw the lineup for this trip, I'm like, that is really cool to be able or even tomorrow, to be able to go out and do some fly fishing. And I'm starting to learn through the years. That's one of the big differences between overlanding in the West and overlanding in the East. I think that you guys in the East do a really great job of incorporating other things into the trip history.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Remember touring a you know, this is with bowlers up in Vermont, but I remember tour touring a you know, a maple tree, you know, a maple factory, you.
Speaker 1: Know where they had all the lines coming out of there.
Speaker 3: Them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was super amazing. So in your experience, because you've.
Speaker 2: Done a lot of traveling out west and of course traveling here east a lot, what do you find are the major differences not only in the experience, but in the in the people that are overlanding, in your customers, you find the differences.
Speaker 3: I think, I think we could talk about a little bit about that and include also, like the difference in the landscape. So we're very fortunate on the East Coast to have lots of moisture. Yeah, so we can have a campfire every night. There are some exceptions, you know at times, and we like to cook over the fire. That's definitely a luxury that we have here. Sure, we have lots of you know, public roads across creeks and streams and things like that, and that's all done responsibly, you know, But as far as people go, I don't think, you know, it's any different. I think I think you have a lot of bigger rigs out west because you've got wide, vast open landscapes.
Speaker 2: I've noticed that not very many full sized trucks here just because the trails are quite narrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are. We have lots of forest roads here in West Virginia, in particular when you get up into Vermont and things like that. As you've experienced, the Class four roads are really tight. But it's not out of the Ordinarrea you have. We've got a tundra out here right now. Two tundra is actually both with ALLUC units on them, so they we've got clearance for it. You know. Sometimes there's trees that are down. It's not uncommon for us to. I think Jerry from Timbo Tusk was on a trip with us two years ago. We were in Utah and he was kind of lasting because we had chainsaws. He's like, I go with people all the time and they got chainsaws and they never use him. I was like, they don't live on these coasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure.
Speaker 2: Or even in the Pacific Northwest, the amount of trees I've had the winch or cut out of the way in the Pacific Northwest too.
Speaker 3: Yeah fast, yeah, I mean even on the last trip that we did here in March, we cut down fifteen trees cut out of the way fifteen trees. We didn't cut down fifteen trees, but sure them, you know, in conjunction with winching, you know, winching them out too. So that's that's ordinary for springtime. As we're clearing the path, you know, for other motor vehicle enthusiasts. Side by sides are really big here in West Virginia as well, so we're kind of like kind of forging the way for everybody when we go on some of these tracks so that they can go and they're like, Oh, I don't have to worry about cutting these trees down. Somebody did it for me.
Speaker 2: One of the things I really enjoyed about the conversations so far is, you know, you've got a lot of very interesting professionals that are here. You know, people that have in some cases very high stakes jobs, or they're working in the government, or you know, they're running their own business, or they're managing finances for entire families. So these people are under a lot of pressure, you can tell. And they're all so relieved to be out of nature right now because they're otherwise they're on a commute in Gridlock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it was really interesting this morning Ezrick was leading the first bushcraft session and watching all of these grown adults on vacation but in a class setting outside beside a tarp, carving with knives and doing it the right way and just watching and observing, you know, these people being instructed and just loving every minute at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And like you said, you know, we get a lot of DC folk. We get a lot of traffic from North Carolina, even New England now too, and in the southeast too, so down Atlanta. We've got some folks from Room Georgia here too, But just a wide variety of like different lifestyles, you know, family scenarios, careers, and that's what's most interesting. You've got a doctor sitting beside, a software engineer sitting beside, an account manager sitting beside you know whoever. And we're in this fantastic three story lodge from the you know, late eighteen hundreds right now. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the history is I mean, just when Jim from OK for World Drive, I'm traveling. For those who are listening, I'm traveling with Jim from OK four WL drive down here from New Jersey, and we drove the Grenadier and stopped at a bunch of these little towns along the way, and you know, you go to get coffee and you walk by an inn from seventeen thirty six.
Speaker 1: That is cool. Yeah, you know, I live in a very old home.
Speaker 2: By standards of the West, and it was built in nineteen fourteen, so you know, you know, hundreds of years newer. And it's a very old home in Arizona. But out here it's a pup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and there's there's We've had this conversation a couple of times, you know, specific to this area West Virginia. I feel like a lot of the rich history is more recent than other states along the East coast, like you would talk about you talk about lumber and coal mining still happening today. You know a lot of that, you know, history on the New River in Thurman, West Virginia, where all the big timbering was done up here in Canaane Valley and stuff like that. That's all very recent, you know, within the last hundred years.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Interesting, this wasn't like two hundred and three hundred years ago. This was it feels like not too far away.
Speaker 2: Pretty odal an interesting thing for me, and I'm really grateful to be here in West Virginia. My grandfather, my mom's dad, he grew up incredibly poor, and he grew up in West Virginia, like they called it, the West Virginia settlers, like these were. They just didn't have a lot of resources. And his dad died very young, and you know, his mom, his mom couldn't afford to feed him, so she took him into the recruiter's offices as World War two was riffing. She lied about his age. Wow, and off he went because she couldn't afford to feed him anymore. So, you know, I have never had the opportunity to really spend time in West Virginia and think about and I was trying to do some research before I came, like where was my grandpa living? And there wasn't a lot of information. You have a birth certificate, which is why she was able to you know, fib about his age. But pretty incredible the history here, and even that touches my own life and my own family history.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they never.
Speaker 2: Really had a chance to to drive around and check it out.
Speaker 1: So this is really cool.
Speaker 3: This is cool. We're glad you're here, man. This is West Virginia is a very special place to me. And you know, we're really focused on community and you know, introducing people to all the opportunity that are here. Yeah, there's en less recreational opportunities here in the state.
Speaker 2: Well, and you've done a great job of that. You've done a great job of really fostering community. And I've seen you do that through a bunch of ways. You have fantastic videos that you document your adventures in the East and in the West, I mean around the country. But then you hold these events on a regular basis that brings in people and starts to expose them to overlanding. So you've really found a way and that you support sponsors and you help develop product and test product and document it. So you found a way to create a really great business. But one of the things that I was really curious about is if you could think about somebody from the West or somebody who's moving out east, because surprisingly there's a lot more people now moving east from the West because there's more affordable housing. You know, there's great history. You know, you can do a lot of lakes and if you like the water. You know, there's a lot of reasons to move back east. But if you were to give like a top three to and let's take as much time as we need, because I think people listening will find it fascinating. Three to five great trips, I mean just epic overland trips. They don't have to include a bunch of fowel driving, but if they do, that's great.
Speaker 1: But like, what are your top three to.
Speaker 2: Five routes along the west or along the East coast that you think are the ones for people to check out?
Speaker 3: Well, so we have we have a catalog of you know, different routes that we host specific to our guided trips. There's that as a resource. We're always willing to help people. Yeah, you know, if they've got questions.
Speaker 1: About things and is that on your website.
Speaker 3: Or we's people will just email us and ask in contact us, ask us questions. You're starting to see things with on X people publishing some routes and locations. You know, a popular location in West Virginia which maybe people know about is Canane Loop in the Canadine Valley area. Hopefully we'll be taking you through there on your visit.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Let's tell me about the loop and what do you see along the way and is there disperse camping available those kinds of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so there the Loop road is a public road that starts in Blackwaterfalls State Park and then navigates into National Forest and then ends out, you know, on paved So it's a loop starting from pavement and then ending at pavement, right. So it's a combination of kind of gravel, rough sandstone, blackwater, creeks and springs that you drive through, which is really cool. It's a nice experience. Not anything that's uberly uber technical, okay, but it's beautifulul It feels like you're kind of in a rainforest at times. We have a lot of road drum and Mountain Laurel in the state, so you're constantly like you know, pushing through you know, these this vegetation. Right now, there's actually construction on the upper end of Canane Loop, but there's another road that leads into that. So those two routes, you know, these two roads I'm talking about, I think are available on on X. Yeah. I've been trying to work with the Forest Service and tread lightly to encourage you know on X to actually have them, you know, direct traffic one way so that we can maintain our impact on the land because sometimes you'll run into other vehicles. But you know, you're out in Utah on BLM on some of these tracks and they're really nero. You still got to find a way. Somebody's got to back up, somebody's got to do that. But this area is very sensitive to if you get off trail, you get bogged down, and then those tracks to the yeah, you could do a lot of damage. So we try to constantly advocate that. Whenever we run trips through that area, we break down our group into micro groups, so we don't drive with more than five vehicles on any of our trips. So we break that group down into two or three vehicle groups, and then we stagger them by like thirty minutes, so it gives them an opportunity to pass through in case there's oncoming traffic, sure, and then we segment next groups through. So we we love Gnning Valley, but you know, we're really focused on kind of protecting that. So that's that's a beautiful area. You know, there's endless opportunities in the Spruce and Seneca Rox National Recreation Area. I think there's like three hundred miles of total gravel.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe how beautiful those rocks were. I mean, and there was that gym and I stopped there. Yeah, yeah, Jim and I stopped there, and there was this like one hundred year old general store, still run by the same family. I think they were getting ready to prep generation number six to run the store, you know. And they had a cash register in there made out of bronze and brass and metal from like the early nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the creaky wood floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so cool, and it was it looks like it's a really popular place for you know, for rock climbers and people to get out and explore.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The Cineca ROX Area is beautiful. And so that area is a in conjunction with the Spruce Recreation Area, so they call it the Spruce Cob Center Rocks National Recreation Area. And then Spruce KNBB is the summit of West Virginia, so it's the highest point in the state. And then once you get on that plateau, there's some sections that you would drive through pasture lands that you'd feel like you were in Ireland.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know, not too far from from there. And Canaane Valley is Dolly Sod's Wilderness. So we're not talking too much about overlanding routes right now, but the Dolly Sods Wilderness is kind of like an Alaskan tundra landscape as well.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of cool, you know history about how that land became what it was. There's the Minute Lanta BDR which runs through through West Virginia, basically down along the border of Virginia too.
Speaker 1: How long is that rut?
Speaker 3: I don't know how long that is. I think that's a couple hundred miles or so. I haven't driven that, but we've been on a lot of those roads. The trans America Trail starts not too far away from here, and we've spent a lot of time on the trans America Trail over the years. So there's good.
Speaker 2: That's one of the coolest things I've done in my life. I mean, if someone has a chance to because it takes about five or six weeks to do it, even on a motorcycle, you're gonna be on five thousand miles of dirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, you know, and but there are so specific to this date West Virginia. There are so many roads and places that travel that are earth and service gravel, dirt, and then you know, by chance, a lot of time when we map routes, we find abandoned roads that are very primitive. You know, that's when it gets really fun. I think the most exciting thing for us about overlanding, as we've been doing it since like twenty twelve, twenty thirteen and kind of creating this business is the discovery process, you know. I think people really are excited about, like I want to overland now, I want to build my truck now, and I want to route so I know where to go. For me, overlanding is discovering. It's like building a route using Google pin and two points and finding the windiest backroads you possibly can and then seeing what happens. And then when you get out there and you actually have to put it in four wheel drive, or you have to cut a tree out of the way, or you're scurrying to find a campsite in the middle of the night. Sure, like, that's when it gets really exciting, you know, That's when it's really special. So I try to talk people through that. But you know, there's so many resources out on the internet now, you know, to help you build those routes and those locations or that you want to go. But I try to preach that because that's really what's fun.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of people that live out east and they're looking for a place to go. I mean, some of our most popular content was that we published a series of routes in Texas and they're just like no one had really put the content out there, you know, And next thing you know, you got like an article.
Speaker 1: With a million views.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's just unbelievable how hungry many parts of the country are for these kinds of routes. So it's just not really available. You think about Arizona, there's lots of great documentation in books and there's three different books that cover the same route, whereas here there's just not as much information, so.
Speaker 3: There's not you know. I remember going to Charleston for the first time to kind of advocate for Adventure Travel, and I was standing up in front of the crowd introducing you know who we were. At Mountain State. It was like two hundred people or something, and I was just like, you know, we love the state so much. We're so happy to get people to come here and explore, you know, the mountain state. And it was just kind of quiet. And then people I didn't know how to take it. Yeah, because these are all locals that like live here, and they're like, yeah, we don't want people to come, not that they not are inhospitable, but they just like, this is our secret. I mean in West Virginia driving the roads, I like to get this from farming out in the brown Like everybody waved it. Everybody when you're driving down the road, lift two fingers off the steering wheel. And that was always like it shows to me that people are welcoming you in their space. And that's what's funny though, you know. I had that experience at the Capitol, but everywhere I go in West Virginia, I always I gauge my environment wherever I go by waving it. People all the time see like what's this place like? Right? So you start waving and people just wave back, and people pull up to the gas station they want to know what your truck's all about, Like where are you going? Where have you been what are you guys doing so you know it's it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I would agree. I mean, so far it's just been beautiful.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact that we're in a We're going to shift the conversation a little bit towards where we're at now and this story of the vagabonds and everything else like that, but you know, we're in a we're in a lodge cap I mean you can see these rough hewn beams and it was originally a single story and they added on a little bit more to it later, but you can tell even if you look at the outside the fireplace, the chimney stack, I mean the lower bricks or the lower stones, you know, they were producing a totally different way than the upper ones. You could see that they were driving metal steaks and stuff like that into them to chip them off, and totally they look totally different than the higher wild.
Speaker 1: It's super cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think what's really cool here too, are some of the size of the logs in this hand heman log lodge. It's definitely not a cabin. Yeah, you know, it's like really big and you can't see it on the video. If you guys are watching but in the dining room area there's a log that's easily two and a half inches or two and a half feet thick. Right, So it's fantastic and so well maintained. I was blown away when I walked in here the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what an incredible venue.
Speaker 2: And it's just in the fact that there's room for camping and it's pretty easy to get to, beautiful little drive to get back in here, and you can we could be fly fishing in the morning and having a fire in the evening. But let's talk a little bit about how this what is this trip about? Talk, let's dig into the history. Let's talk about camp cheat and why it's here, and who are some really interesting gentlemen that came and explored here one hundred years ago?
Speaker 3: Just wow. Yeah, So we we passed this place pretty regularly on our trips, and I've known about it before we really started to do overlanding, and I always thought it'd be cool to have some sort of experience here and bring, you know, a limited group of folks. This is not you know, it only houses twenty three people like that's Yeah, we had heard about this place and when we started kind of thinking about what we could do to create an experience. We have this vision of like multi sport activity in conjunction with overlanding, but having a nice meal to come home to in this epic remote wilderness landscape. But when we started doing in the real research, I knew that there was some very important people in our history and American history that actually came and stayed here. I just didn't know the whole story, right, So it was Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone, Henry Ford, and naturalist John Burrows. Right, So those guys, the story is just amazing. For those such important people in innovation and in the American Industrial Revolution to go camping together in model ts and drive from Dearborn, Michigan for two two and a half three weeks and come down and explore and spend a large portion of their time in West Virginia is pretty cool. And they stayed here so by accident, right, So they were traveling down from Dearborn, they had a vehicle breakdown in Elkins and it was raining and they were just tired of getting rained on. They were dusty and dirty, so they sent some people out with the mayor of Elkins, I believe, and he said, let me take you to this lodge and you guys can check it out, maybe you can stay here. And they came here and saw it and they were like, this is gonna be great, it's gonna be perfect, and they stayed. They ran a very tight schedule, so I don't think they were here much longer than just the day and then left the next morning. But they showered and they they shaved. Even though Thomas Edison didn't want anybody to be cleaned up and he just wanted everybody to grow a long hair and live outside. He was very against you know, people, you know, accepting or embracing the modern luxuries of their time, even though they had batteries and lights of their campsite, which is crazy too. But to be able to come and stay in the same lodge that these guys sat in, and honestly, some of the furniture in here is the same furniture that they sat in him and had a in the same room is super special. And the connection it has with Overlandon.
Speaker 2: It really does. And they were they were doing that. They were doing the purest form of it, and very very early because that would have that was you know, nineteen yeah.
Speaker 3: Early nineteen hundred. So this this particular trip that came down here was nineteen eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember if it was eighteen nineteen eighteen or nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 3: But yeah, their first kind of formal informal trip camping together was I think in nineteen fourteen they went down to the state in the Everglades of all places. Wow, I had to go down to stay in the swamps. Sure in camp now you'd think, wow, that would be really buggy, lots of snakes. But they had a great time. They took their wives, and their wives insisted that they went on every trip after that too, And I think they got away with actually going out with just the guy. Of all the pictures, there's one on the wall right here, it's just the guys staying there. Yeah, so that linked with overlanding, and you know, they in an essence piety motor camping, right, which is.
Speaker 1: So of the photos are great.
Speaker 2: You know, they got a tarp set up over the back of the trucks and they got like an improvised campground, and like you said, Edison brought along battery, a battery, and he brought along lights. You know, could you imagine someone here in West Virginia that didn't have power.
Speaker 3: They probably didn't. I don't think this place had power. Yeah, could you imagine, Yeah, it would have been like, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Would have been like something something out of another planet.
Speaker 3: Well if you saw somebody, because that's what they did. They just found places along the side of the road to camp, or they'd ask permission from a farmer. Sometimes they couldn't because they didn't know who the farmer was sure, so they just set up. And if you were a farmer sitting in your house and you saw lights off in the distance, nobody has lights, and you'd be like, what is going on right now?
Speaker 2: Could you imagine no, or even just I mean how rare automobiles would have been at that time. Still, Yeah, they were still quite rare at that period of time. I mean, I mean even my little house in Prescott, you know, was built in nineteen fourteen, and it was built with a stable on it because they're you know, they didn't own a car, so you know, it was well before I mean, it never ended up with a garage, but didn't have a stable.
Speaker 1: At one point in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's wild, you know, you know, to think that they took Model t's, They put canopies on the back of them. They equipped one as being a refrigerator truck. They had they had a wardrobe truck, both pull out drawers in cabinets. I think there was a food truck that actually had a tap on the outside of it so you could get water. And you look at all these rigs that we have parked out here, sure they'll have exactly the same thing. And this was it we're talking, you know, early nineteen hundred and nineteen teens, right, So they were that passionate about it, and they had the flexibility and probably the income and you know, be able to do things like that where maybe some some people couldn't, but they it didn't matter. They created it, right.
Speaker 1: They wanted that experience, They.
Speaker 3: Wanted that experience. And for those for those four guys to get together put all their self interests, their self their businesses aside and collaborate and work together and create opportunities that would benefit one another. That really says something about what it does to be outside sitting around campfire.
Speaker 2: And you're seeing your customers doing that right now, right now on this trip. You know, they're all chatting, talking about life, learn learn about each other's businesses, but kind of turning some of that off too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. So you know you had Harvey Firestone that speaks for cellfire centires right, and Thomas Edison. We know Thomas Edison, we know Henry Ford. And then there was John Burrows and.
Speaker 2: I don't know much about him, so let's talk a little bit about him.
Speaker 3: So John Burrows was a nationalist of his time. He was a booker, he was a writer, he was an author and it was an artist as well. He liked to drawl and trace, you know, things that he saw in the wild and it was a poet and so he was the guy would be like, hey, Henry, this is a woodchucker. Hey Henry, this is you know, an osprey, or there's a bald eagle, or you know, here's here's some rale mushrooms or here's some ramps. You know. And he was that person that really helped them connect and inform them about wildlife and the nature and their surroundings. So they weren't just driving namelessly. They were being educated and they were they were opening their minds to opportunity. I think there was some innovation of some rubber that was used for Firestone from those from those adventures, you know together, I think just general open mindness about the environment. Like Burrows, he was such, you know, still connected with the environment. He hated the Model T. He hated the invention of the automobile because he thought it would like destroy society. And Henry Ford was He befriended John Burrows because he was a fan of the author, actually a birdwatcher too, And so Henry Ford said, why do you hate cars so much? And he said, because they're going to destroy a modern society as we know, you know, it's not going to be the same anymore. And so Henry Ford said, well, let me just give you a car and then you can tell me what you think about it. So Henry Ford just sitting a Model T and he fought with it, and they're struggling with it. I think he ran it into a barn at one point in time. It's really interesting. There's a lot of stories, but there's just as we're talking right now, I'm looking at this picture on the wall, these guys sitting out here on the shaversport where we're at right now and probably laughing about the same thing.
Speaker 2: Not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive, and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too. I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, so you can find that at your local bookstore overlanding one on one and thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years. Now we talk about AI. They were talking about cars back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right, totally.
Speaker 2: The history repeats itself time and time again. So let's talk a little bit about some of the trucks that you use you've used through the years, like what your what's your current set up and how did you how did you put it together?
Speaker 3: So a big thing of tacomas. I've had several tacomas. This current platform we're on right now is a twenty and twenty five off read premium and we have a mod cap ALLUCAP mod cap on the back of it. Nice. We've built out the entire rest of the truck with AARB front, bumper, step, rails on the sides get played, and the new airb wench on the front too. So that's all we're doing. So we're going to build out a kind of a modest interior, you know, for our travels. We'll be going over the next Bow West in May. Yeah, yeah, here soon. It's crazy. It seems like it's all happened once. Then we'll come home, we'll mount you know, this family camper on the truck, and then my wife and my son and I we're going to Oregon for thirty days and living out of the truck.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: It'll be kind of a rally between now and then.
Speaker 1: But and will you go to Pacific Northwest when you're up there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what we're gonna Uh, it's actually going to be the same time, but we're doing our seventh season of hammer Down filming after that, so it's conflicting with that weekend. But we actually, you know, we'll be starting hammer Down on that weekend over then next XBOPNW. But I've had the whole catalog of valuecab products. We had like the fifteenth Kaya camper, you know, it was like we had the original Kaya camper. It was a silver edition when they had the silver option. We've had the Explorer Canopy. We've had you know, the Gen three rooftop tent. We had the Canopy Camper when it came out. I've had the mod cap of the Twoday sleep top, the mod cap with the family top and the modcap with the family top is just fantastic. Especially it's like when you've got a full family, it's great, but when you're by yourself, you've got it upstairs and downstairs, it's amazing. I just I love it. You know. We spent thirty seven days in Newfounland living out of it last year and really got intimately connected with the product, you know, and really came back with some positive feedback for you know, you have USA team and okay for World Drive you know, from that to try to create some more opportunities to you know, further improve a great product. But that's what works really well for us, like for our guided trips, Like you know, it's important for us to stay organized, to get good sleep, to be comfortable, to be quick. You know, when you've got five other trucks with you on a guided trip, you know, as a guide, you need to be ready when they're ready. And it's easy if you need to. If you need a couple of minutes more sleep, you can because you know, you can just out of the truck and close it up and be done with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do button up really quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really do, and you know, very very happy with the product. But yeah, I love my Tacomas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was how I started, really was with the Tacoma in two.
Speaker 3: I remember your Tacoma.
Speaker 1: I love that thing. But it was way too heavy. Yeah, it was way too heavy.
Speaker 2: But we learned we all learned that along the way off by butt bolting everything on and then you realize that, yeah, maybe that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: So well, it doesn't work so well anymore. Dial it back a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're trying to focus on the weight of this vehicle consistently through the build, right, So we build it with a contour canopy first as kind of a touring mode to coma just to show people what that what that transition looks like. Yeah, but we're really trying to focus on how we construct the interior, so we don't we try not to exceed in the gross vehicle weight, right. So I think that's really important us because that's always a talking point people like to talk about and bring up. Well it's over, you know, and we always conjustify it with heavier suspension and larger braking systems and you know, transmission tunes and re gearing and things like that, but at the end of the at the end of the day, the vehicle is designed to carry so much weight.
Speaker 1: So I wish there was a way for I wish there was a way like in Australia.
Speaker 2: Where we could, you know, do a gross vehicle way up upgrade on these trucks. Some of these trucks, I think some of them lend himself well to that, like a Tacoma or a quarter Master or whatever. You think you'd be able to recertify it a little bit high, higher weight.
Speaker 3: I just some don't too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some just aren't really well suited to that. I was worried about it as a business. You know, it's like if if you run into if you get in an accident, is your insurance going to really cover you if you're a thousand pounds overweight?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I mean we had that happen. We learned a lot about insurance. I think Eric who's on Mountains and everyone team, he's also learned a lot about insurance too, and like how to properly ensure your vehicle, the right steps to take. I think there's always been an opportunity for the right insurance company to do that correctly. But you know, at the end of the day, you can have the best insurance in the world, but it's the person here to hit you. Yeah, it all depends on their insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So if you run your truck in a wall and you have good insurance, you're you're gonna sit fine. If that person's uninsured or under insured or under insured, then you're it's gonna be tough to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be a real, a real challenge for sure. Let's talk through You know, you've been doing this a long time now, you said twenty twelve timeframe you got fired up doing this. What are the two, three four things that you've really learned along the way that kind of have become tenants for you that you then share with your customers or fellow travelers or on your YouTube series. What are some of the things that you have really learned along the way that have made a big difference for you as a traveler.
Speaker 3: I think one I hit on was like experiencing it for yourself, you know, that that true sense of exploration of like that road, maybe getting some advice from somebody, but going out and aimlessly finding a place to go in a state that you haven't been before and figuring out how to get there. Like, I think that sense of excitement that I know, that sense of excitement is what got me into this lifestyle, created this business, and like that's what I preached the most and meaning time when we're talking around campfires with our folks, like I'm always saying that, I think number two is community. I've talked with you about that here, you know, you know, community is so important, not just and it's not about it's not about me at all. It's about creating really good experiences for people to just connect outside of their space. I feel like it's like my it's like my duty to give people those opportunities. And people come on guide to trips with us, then they can go to we host a community event without any vendors. It's just come camp, Explore, Cave, Orienteer Overland. What's the name of that event again, that's adventure XST.
Speaker 1: What time of the year is that help?
Speaker 3: We host it around September eleventh year and it's held on Spruce nob the highest point in West Virginia. So but they're very it's like a it's kind of like this camp cheat experience, but even more laid back and comfortable. You know, we have agendas for kids and things like that. I think our youth is extremely important to the approachability of outdoor recreation and giving kids an opportunity to go camp and just get out there with their parents, you know, makes the parents feel good because the kids are having fun. So the community piece of it is extremely important to me, and I've always been one to always embrace that and create an opportunity for those people. And honestly, like it takes a lot of work to film, and it takes a lot of work to make content, but just do it at your own pace. Don't stress your yourself out, because you'll get to a point where it'll tax you and you'll question right. So I always tell people that you know are thinking about like starting up a YouTube channel or starting up a social media channel, is always just like how do you do it? How do I get there? Is what they want to know. And I just said, always focus on what you can maintain, because once you get to a point where you think you can do more, you need to maintain that and that can weigh heavy on your shoulders. And if that starts weighing heavy on your shoulders, you're not having fun anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it stops really being a trip anymore.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really you're working harder than you do in your day job.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've got a great team of guys that support Mountain State overly end and we all work really hard to create experiences like this. We had a fun opportunity a couple of years ago where we actually opened up applications and people submitted video applications and then we put them through an overland challenge games and we call it the Overland Games, and we hosted a series of you know, challenging, stressful situations that they had to navigate through and they would a Crewe points and we would, in theory end up hiring two of the guides. Well, we just fell in love with all of them, so we brought them all on. You know, we're just like we can't. It's like when we were done and we were like, well, I guess it's you guys, And then the other guys are just sitting there like, oh man really, and then I was like, oh, we'll figure it out. Let us just think about it a little bit more. So without them, we couldn't do what we do. And it's always been fun and manageable to the point that if we're happy, our guests are happy and they're having that experience with each one of our guys. You know, we want to have that. You know, when you go to a restaurant and you like, you really like it, but the next time you go to that same restaurant with that same chain. I'm not going to mention any names, but you had that same experience at each of those restaurants you go to. That's what we want each of these Guida Tripics experiences to.
Speaker 1: Be, no matter who excellence. Yeah, sure, that.
Speaker 3: Standard of excellence has to be there because that's why people will come back. That's why we have such a high return rate is because we are focused. People know exactly what to expect and then they watch the video and they say, these are who these guys are anyway, so I know what to expect when I go as well, so.
Speaker 1: I can see it here.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you had your team mixing drinks last night, and you had other parts of your team, you know, interacting and helping.
Speaker 1: I mean they helped me haul my bags in.
Speaker 2: I mean just they just jumped right in to support and they did it across not just for me. They did it for everybody that's here, so I think you guys have made it feel very welcoming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's fun. I think everybody can sit back and be like that was really cool. You know, like that was really fun. Did you see how they really enjoyed them when you set up the bar the way it was with your menu, and you know, I think it was a really nice touch. You know, people are having it. Really We're always talking about do you think they're having a good time? Do you think they're having a good time. We're always focused on that and that's what drives us.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Hankook Tire for supporting this week's podcast. With Summer Underway, head over to Expeditionportal dot com for Jeep Beach Vibe inspiration. Our team spent the weekend with handcoocked Dinapro Tire at this year's twenty twenty six Jeep Beach Week in Daytona, Florida and took a look at their Wrangler three ninety two Look for Jeep Beach twenty twenty six. When you go to Expedition Portal dot com, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Can assure you that everybody's having a good time, because that's what I've heard across the board. Had some great conversations last night. These two ladies are getting ready to go do a big adventure in Africa, so we were talking about that and they're awesome, and showed them how to use their exhaust break today this morning, and I'm just totally enjoying it. You've done an incredible job and the fact that this is available for people to come out and have an experience where they don't need to have spend all that time getting ready or research or whatever.
Speaker 1: They can work with a great team like yours.
Speaker 2: And and come out and have a wonderful experience and then head back to work, you know, the next week.
Speaker 1: But that's a pretty rare thing to find.
Speaker 2: It's difficult to find that level of execution around guiding. I mean, there's lots of great guides in the world, but they tend to really focus on I'm going to guide someone, you know, over the Mohave Road. But you've got a much broader experience that people are having here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the guide thing is kind of interesting because we're constantly going to Charleston every year in February March while they're in session.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the.
Speaker 3: Capitol and you know, lobbying for responsible adventure travel, right, so you know we got side by sides are crazy, like they're all over lace in West Virginia and you can. Yeah, and I think it's I think it's great. It's getting people outside. You know, I don't have any opinion on that piece of it, but I think there needs to be some education. And the thing is is, like we can force publications, enforce marketing, enforce all of that, but it's gonna take it. It's going to take generational like knowledge before that because they're coming from you know, we can drive anywhere on anything to like now we have these extremely powerful machines that will go anywhere. So we're just gonna you know, So there's there's an education opportunity there, and so we're constantly lobbying, not against that by any means, but lobbying for legislation in this state to to qualify standards for guide services. There are guide service expectations for like the national forests. We're using public reads and we're using state roads. So if we use public campgrounds and things like that, we pay commissions for that. So as far as the guiding goes in this kind of unique niche thing that we're doing here in West Virginia, there's a big opportunity for the state to create legislation that requires guides to have licenses, to have insurance, to have proper wilderness for staid training so that we can ensure that there's the right people doing it right. And I think I'm willing to pay a fee for that, Like I'm willing to invest in budget in that every year, I'm investing in my team so that they're trained and things like that. But we really desperately need that in this state. And because as this rose and overlanding becomes more popular or maybe you know, it transitions into other opportunities for people, we need to be focused on how to do it and how to do it responsibly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that goes a long way. It starts to set standards. It sures people have better experiences, safety improves, you have less conflict with other multi use users that are out there on the trails. I think that's the biggest challenge that we face with the technology that's available in the side by side space is that the speeds are just so high. You know, in a national forest road in the United States the speed limits twenty five miles an hour and people don't know that and it's rarely enforced. So it just you know, you got that elderly couple that's just out trying to hike for mushrooms or whatever they are, and you know, you know, and that's just they could get injured or it could be a really bad experience for them.
Speaker 1: So I just think is as an.
Speaker 2: Industry, we need to continue to reinforce the fact that responsible use is going to allow for long term use if we're irresponsible with it and people driving like maniacs and they're just going to shut it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I as a kid, like I had a lot of fun, you know, I learned lessons and then as I grew up, I knew what I should and shouldn't do. What we have right now is we have adults into a hobby where they weren't youth, you know, making mistakes and doing things the wrong way and learning. So there's a clear opportunity for us to and that's what we do. Like everybody signs a tread lightly agreement when they come on a trip with us, like they know what our rules are, you know, they know what the rules of tread lightly are and so we enforce that and we talk about that like that's really important. And I feel like we're doing that because those people are touching people that are in the space and they're seeing somebody doing something and being like, yeah, you probably shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: How you create a new standard and the industry will be better off for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's in my opinion for sure. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, let's kind of ask you a couple more kind of wrap up questions. I know you're a big reader. Let's make sure we give the name of the book for this that you kind of ran this whole trip around, and then any other of your favorite books, either of this region or travels.
Speaker 1: So what was the what was the book that you gave out to all of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he put me on the spot. I think it's an American Journey by Wes Davis. There was another one. I think it's called The Vagabonds I and that's V. A, G. B, O N D S. The Vagabonds, and that refers to Henry Ford, Edison, Firestone, and Burrows. They referred to themselves as the Vagabonds like that. So if you wanted to learn any information about you know, these four characters traveling and model t's across the country and they went to California too. It's crazy. You can read either The American Journey by Wes Davis or The Vagabonds. I can't remember the name of the author, but I read both of those books. And you know, when we put this trip together, I said, we need to give everybody The American Journey because chapter eight in the book highly details almost my turn in location across the bridge. They turned right, you know, and drove up the hill like you can almost kind of you feel like you're trying you're tracing their experience. There's a lot of really interesting history about West Virginia. I couldn't give you any specific book titles.
Speaker 1: Oh that's okay, but if there's one that comes to mind, you yeah, I always like to ask that question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's not anyone in particular that comes to mind. I think there's one called I believe it's called The Last Forest and it talks about, you know, logging in West Virginia's history. Yeah, specific to that, there's you know, we have what we had, I think the most recent national park added to the state O cool. Added to this state the New River Gorsh National Park, which is a beautiful place. And again there's a lot of history there, a lot of fun stuff we can talk about. But yeah, those are some great resources. Like I said, the history here is very recent. It's really cool to find gym's like this and read about it and then come see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super awesome.
Speaker 2: So how do people find out more about coming along on trips like this which I would highly recommend. I'm already having a great time. We still got a couple days left to go. How do people find out more about coming along on trips like this? How do they find out more about the video series that you guys put out? How do they get connected with you and your business and your community.
Speaker 3: So Mountainstateoverland dot com, I mean you can hit all of our socials from there. We're ms out Overland on Instagram and Facebook and everything. But Mountainstateoverland dot com. That's where you can, you know, find a guide trip. You can watch our videos, you know on YouTube. You can you know join when experiences like this. You know, Venture ex Fast is coming up first September.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a great start for someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that event yeah, it's it's a good price. We're trying to keep it. We're trying to keep it the same We've kept our guided trips at the same cost for five years. So we make tweaks to these events and these trips so that we can maintain that cost. Because things are the prices of things are just increasing, you know, So it's important that we give people more value and maintain the cost in my opinion, So if we can create ways to do that, we'll always do that. And Adventure Access is an Adventure Access is a pretty great scheme of things, pretty cost effective, great opportunity to meet people in the Mid Atlantic region, in southeast region, you know, here of the United States.
Speaker 2: Awesome man, Yeah, well, thank you so much for being on the podcast. It's been great to spend more time with you. I'm really looking forward to what the rest of the weekend is going to bring about. You just told me about a cool little trail that walks up walks up the river, so I might go for a hike after we wrap up. I feel like I'm on vacation, man, it's crazy. I'm trying to decide between a hike and a nap.
Speaker 3: So well, after the Chili. We just say everybody, that's.
Speaker 1: Great, that's great, awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks again, we appreciate you all listening, and we'll talk to you next time.