Speaker 1: When I do live gigs around the country, I'll be honest with you. I sel t shirts and swag to the folks who are there, and then people always say, can we get this wag without sitting through a whole evening of you. Well, it's happened. It's finally here. You can buy Craig Ferguson merch on the Craig Ferguson Merch website and you can buy it for yourself or someone you hate or someone you love. For more information and link to the web store, please go to the Craig Fergusonshow dot com. That's all lowercase, the Craig Ferguson show dot com. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interest in people about what brings them happiness. Welcome to the Young Comedians Special, where I, as not a young comedian, will talk to to young comedians about being young comedians.
Speaker 2: And they're very funny, they're very interesting people.
Speaker 1: Andrew Rivers and Khalia McNeil enjoy.
Speaker 2: So let's just before we start.
Speaker 1: I do want to just reiterate because I did just say this before we started that as I look at the two of you right now, and I think I think you might have said it first for Buddy Cop movie. All right, you are a professional officer that has been forced into the situation of taking on a partner who is a well connected, you know, loser, try.
Speaker 2: To clean it up the second time.
Speaker 1: I think loser is fine, but I realized when I said loser that it might I thought you were a loser, and that is not what I'm thinking. And also I may have impliedately that you were a professional and I wasn't couldn't be further from this, So I don't want to to start stereotyping you guys right from the get go. I just what the reason why I asked you both here to get out of this. You're both young comics, you're both comers. In my opinion, you're both at the beginning of what I predict is big careers. You're both very similar and not in the way that you do the stuff or even what you talk about. But I noticed with both of you you're both anecdotal comedians, and I like that. You're both kind of old school, but you're young comedians, and so I wanted to talk to you and get the vibe and get the feeling and get to know what the young folks are talking about.
Speaker 3: But fart Craig needs to stand up lessons. Actually, he's like that the career has passed me by got you. We're gonna get you.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get you in a supreme outfit, you know.
Speaker 1: And do you think do you think is that a thing? Is there a look that you have to go for? Like in your special? Right, you look very cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of me being old school. Though.
Speaker 4: When I if it's something like a special or something that's being filmed like that, I deem serious. I'm going to put a little something on. I'm gonna have some slacks on. I'm gonna, you know, put a suit on if I can. I just think that's classy. But I also understand, you know, you know your you know your style. Your style matches you sometimes. And when I I love watching a laid back special and dude looks like he's chilling, but his jokes are also like.
Speaker 2: You you know very much.
Speaker 1: Enjoy Andrew's work because that's what he's wearing right now.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've seen you do stand up. I just go on stage with what I wore. That day. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually got a comment on like my Instagram the other day it was like comedians used to dress proper whatever, you know.
Speaker 5: That's actually that was me. Yeah yeah, I was like, come on, you wear a tie? Yeah, that's not funny. Real comedian wears a tie?
Speaker 2: Do you know what that?
Speaker 1: I remember? I used to get a little when I was a young coming when I swore. People would say a real comedian doesn't have to swear?
Speaker 2: Do you do?
Speaker 1: They still come after you for the swears. My mom yeah, my mom says that.
Speaker 4: She's like, you know it was it was nice, but you know, Sindbad didn't go, and I'm like, all right, shit's crazy.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, Richard Pryor did, though, I mean he did Carson and I no I cast now expressions on Sinbad.
Speaker 2: He's a fine performer and a lovely man.
Speaker 1: But in the Hall of Fame of stand ups, Richard Pryor Sindbad, I think even Sindbad would be like, I think Richard probably.
Speaker 2: Edges me a little bet, Yeah, you cuss.
Speaker 3: A little bit and your Yeah, I think they They used to say that about political comedians too, And then it's like, well, Carlin had a fine career you know. Yeah, I think at the end of the day, you don't need permission to make art. So it's like those people, you know, like, this is what I'm doing and it should make me happy first, and then the world is big enough now for you to find your own audience.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's quite interesting because you guys are coming of age and coming and you know, making your bones at a time when comedy is is more. Uh, I'm not going to say it's under the micro school more, but it kind of ends a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think there's like a boom of it for sure, but then yeah, more attention causes more scrutiny causes.
Speaker 1: Do you find that your audiences kind of find you? I mean like, do you get a black gay audience? Do you get you know, stone or audience.
Speaker 4: It's funny that you say that is I've recently finally started noticing that very thing because it was you know, I've for a few years now kind of been on the road, and you know, you have great shows, you have shows that sell very well, but it's also like, you know, did this show sell really well because you know, it's a Friday night in Connecticut or were they really coming to see you know me specifically or is this just what they wanted to do tonight and.
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 4: And but no, recently, I had a show in January. I did a weekend at this comedy club in New Orleans called Comedy House Nola. And I never I've been to New Orleans to do like Thebakri, but I've never performed in New Orleans, right, and so first time performing, I'm like, you know, what's it going to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm doing my promos as much as I can, so on, so forth. And it hit me when I was on stage, like I'm looking at the crowd and I'm looking at people who look like me, and it was just one of those feelings like I knew for a fact like they you know, either saw my flyer, saw my clips or saw matter or whatever, and we're like, you know what, we're comfortable going to see that, you know, going to see her. And yeah, So from that point, I'm starting to pay attention and seeing a little bit more of that now and it feels great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, does it feel good?
Speaker 1: Or does it I mean, cause like I'm a white guy, I'm used to see an audience.
Speaker 2: Just look like man.
Speaker 1: But but it's but I like to see people that don't live. In fact, I'm looking for people that don't look like me and my audience. I kind of I kind of like that. But I suppose the numbers are are different percentage wise anyway, right.
Speaker 4: I mean it's it's kind of a little bit of both. It feels good, but at the same time, it's just just me personally. It's like, I grew up in Fairfield, California. I grew up right outside of Napa, about twenty five minutes from San Francisco, So I grew up around everyone, right, so when I you know, most of the shows I do are for everyone if you get my drink, of course. But I just I guess you can say now, it's like I'm just starting to see an influx.
Speaker 1: Of and you are not doing chromic, so you're going to talk about your own life experience just like you do.
Speaker 2: Andrew.
Speaker 1: It's like you, you talk about what's happened to you. It's why I'm interested in you both. You're not you do jokes, but you're not joke merchants. You're not you're not gag merchants, which I think right now, that's where the big money is. I got to tell you, I think right now is gag merchants that that's switching it up? Well, it's I don't know, though, I don't think you can. This is why I think you're both here because like me, you really can't do anything else. But it's a slow burn, you know. I think I think they got to get to know phase off. You know, it's it's getting there.
Speaker 2: I think with the way you guys have to do it now.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of social media involved, right and you do you you have your own Instagrams and tiktoks and all that stuff, and are you aware like do you put together I better do a minute on Is that too much on TikTok?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Forty five seconds? Like I have to do a joke today? Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's part of growing your brand and those things, you know. I think of the clips as like almost like a quarter in a slot machine, where it's like, if one of those things pops off and gets twenty million views, then your whole life could change.
Speaker 2: Is that true? Yeah? Does that really work like that?
Speaker 4: I mean I know two people personally that it's happened to two of the biggest arguably the biggest names in comedy right now, Matt Ryf and Morgan Jay. Yeah, like literally, Like I mean the Netflix Festival two years ago, Matt and I did a show.
Speaker 2: Could not fill the Bourbon Room. He just sold out the Hollywood Bowl. That's amazing. From a crowd work clip, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 2: Now he's he's he was extreme in his handsome face.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, but there's a lot of really cute guys, you know at a bar show, right, That's true.
Speaker 2: It was one of them.
Speaker 1: Well see that's the thing you guys go, I just find out as you go here you actually did a show together, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did a show up in ever Itt, Everett, washing Classy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's called The Dope Show.
Speaker 3: So the premise is that comedians they do a set and then they take a smoke break and then they come back stoned and it's hydrinks. But really it's like, oh, comedians performing like they normally just higher. Yeah yeah, because I was gonna say, but the audience is in on the bit, so you can get you have permission to get a little loose or go down a weird riff rabbit hole that doesn't always end well.
Speaker 1: Or what I'm saying is that the audience may also be high. Yeah, so it's basically a marijuana Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: The hard part is staying sober until the first set I think, and I think you I just always forget a joint. I'm like, oh shit, okay, I'm supposed to be sober later or present a sober Yeah.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: It's funny marijuana, which I mean, you're both very comfortable with it. I was funny, uncomfortable with marijuana, admit me, paranoid and sad.
Speaker 2: We just got to get you the right strength.
Speaker 1: No, everybody said that.
Speaker 2: He got you. No. No, that's what happened to me.
Speaker 1: When I was talking to a gay friend about when I tried, like, I tried being gay and I did a gay thing with me and another man and we did a gay and I said, after it, you know when when the penis, when the penis comes to your face, I said, it's it's not for me. Yeah, that's what happened. When I did a straight I said, you know what, I don't like it. Well, no, I get it, but so it's kind of the same. It's the penis comes out here, You're like, no, for me, thank you. But do they do that with coke too, where it's like, yeah, I just don't really like it. No, you just got to try my coke, you know.
Speaker 2: No, they don't. They don't want to give away cat That's what I remember.
Speaker 1: But I discussed my friend of mine who's a gay man. He said it was just the wrong penis. And I'm like, was it though? Because they are kind of you know, they vary a little bit, but not enough for me to go, you know. And I think marijuana is the same. It fairies a bit, but not enough. Okay, you know so, but when does it wear off? By the way, am I am?
Speaker 3: I not? Uh?
Speaker 4: I mean, I hate to say I smoke often, so I'm.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking. I'm not talking right now. I'm not talking about marijuana. I'm talking about the gay. When does the gay wear often?
Speaker 1: How long ago was that? It was about thirty years ago? Year thirty five? Okay, when you go to the beach, yes, what do you wear?
Speaker 2: A suit? Long sleeves.
Speaker 1: Maybe if it's very hot, an open toed esper drill, But that's it.
Speaker 2: He opens a bottle and a sweatshirt. No, why why? Why would that?
Speaker 4: Like as Speedos, it makes a European which also is gay.
Speaker 1: Right, I wouldn't wear Speedos though, Okay, I think just because I'm uncomfortable with speed So handsome?
Speaker 2: Do you think the Rock is? Oh? Very handsome?
Speaker 1: Indeed very Actually, you know, when I think about it, maybe I would be willing to give.
Speaker 2: That might be the one, that might be the one. You know, you have a gay checklist. You're smoking again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of you know what I think about it? Maybe it didn't wear all. You know, he was on the late night show The Rock, and I was like, god, you are did you get to like feelhim up?
Speaker 2: Or no? I don't feel him up?
Speaker 1: But he's the Rock, you know, by like, I was appreciative of the beauty of the human.
Speaker 2: He was gorgeous man, he really is, no doubt about it. But he wasn't high. So you high right now?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Did you smoke?
Speaker 4: Only because this is our first meeting and because I listened to your last episode where I heard you say you don't do drugs.
Speaker 2: I am not high.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want you to not do drugs because I don't work. As soon as I leave here. Yeah, but also and also Andrew in no way observed that rule.
Speaker 2: Well, this isn't the first impression. Well is that true? I mean, have you smoked today or no?
Speaker 3: I haven't smoked in a couple of days. So am so sorry, thank you. I feel how dare you judge and stereotype based on previous knowledge and conversation.
Speaker 4: Based on everything, everything that we met at a weed.
Speaker 3: Show and then yeah, and then you had your intern research me.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, you guys are turning it around on me. I don't quite know where I am now. Is that is that a drug that you're comfort I mean, clearly, it is a drug you're comfortable performing with.
Speaker 2: I used to drink, and that used to get in the way. I couldn't really do it.
Speaker 4: It's kind of for me at least, it's it's almost a little bit of the routine. It's part of my pre show prep. I actually can't have a drink before I go on stage.
Speaker 2: I don't drink.
Speaker 4: I don't have a drink it so I get off stage and it's not like I'm, you know, blowing blunts to the face. I take a couple of puffs of the joint and there is there.
Speaker 3: Like a Chappelle ish comic that like smokes a joint during the set.
Speaker 1: There should be there should be I think I think Dave Chappelle might be one of those guys. Actually, this day he smokes a cigarette, smokes a cigarette of vapes. Maybe he's got that kind of little fay. Yeah, can you vape marijuana? I'm sorry for it. Yeah, we can teach you. Papa, no, Papa, No, I am papa. No, I'm be doing Papa. I am Papa. Like Papa's got the drug. I didn't like the vape pen because it was too easy.
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like there should be shame involved in You shouldn't be able to puff a cloud of vapor and disappear like Batman and be like I know evidence.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Shame is a much underappreciated quality in society.
Speaker 2: There's enough of it.
Speaker 3: It's going away, and we need to bring a little bad. Everybody is too positive. I was, I was raising up those high schoolers, well you know I was. I was raised with a certain amount of shame, and I feel like, actually, you Tube must have had it too, probably, yeah, because you don't become a stand up unless you have some right some shame, so some bad and my my wife says that all stand ups are the same mom cold with bad boundaries.
Speaker 2: Does that sound and it way familiar? Maybe she's just saying it, but my mom.
Speaker 4: I think she's finding a way to talk about your mom without talking.
Speaker 1: To Look, she's not lying about my mom. But I mean my mom was.
Speaker 4: She's a lovely lady, but she I mean it was definitely a strict household, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom was the enforcer. I mean, my dad was the creative. Your dad was in Yeah, so her job was to make sure he sobered up eventually, you know. So she did all the business and all the and he was like, I'm gonna write wacky songs, right see.
Speaker 1: No, my mom was a correctional counselor, okay. And my dad friend to your mom. And I've never even met your mom.
Speaker 4: And my dad, once he retired from paroles, became a preacher. Oh no, I wish I had the show dad, that would be cool.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, I mean they both kind of like my dad was worked in the post office. I don't know why I even ended up with a stand up, but it sounds fairly okay, compared to the trauma. But you guys like show business or past are you are you still religious?
Speaker 2: It's there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to church every Sunday or anything like that, but I'm not also anti. You know, when I'm home for the holidays, when I'm home, I'm going to church on Sunday with the family.
Speaker 2: And you know some of the preachers.
Speaker 1: You know, Sam Kennison was a preacher by yeah, Sam Kennison used to he was way back before he gets Do you guys know who I'm talking about, because it's a long time ago. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Sam was impression just remembered. Oh yeah, the U. But he was a very aggressive is the wrong word, but very like a fiery fiery stand yes. And he was a preacher when he started a lot the preacher, the style of preaching in churches can be.
Speaker 2: Well, he wanted to be he wanted to tell more truth in stand up.
Speaker 1: I think, how I I know a stand up just stopped to be a preacher.
Speaker 4: Who's his name is Aaron All Yeah, and he's he's moved to Florida, So I don't know if we'll ever hear from him again.
Speaker 1: Well you moved to Florida, become appreciate you make a lot more money than even maybe in a stand up Yeah. It's funny how that because the tradition of where I'm from, preachers you know, they don't you you don't you're not looking for a show.
Speaker 2: In a Scottish Protestant chart, it's like.
Speaker 1: You out bad Jesus is coming to get you.
Speaker 2: Look out that guilt driven yeah kind of yeah, a little. And we have the choicen ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well Black Baptist church, lots of singing, lots of clapping. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a little it's a it's a three hour event. You gotta you gotta ration it because usually had a Black church will have two services a day. They'll have like an eight o'clock and a ten thirty or an eleven o'clock. You want to go to that eight o'clock because you know there there has to be an end.
Speaker 2: Time, right, it's like to finish it at some point.
Speaker 4: Second serve is the only time there is an end time is on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 2: Wow. See that's a that's a lot of chart for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I could do that, Like I'm I'm in and out in half an hour if anything.
Speaker 2: I mean these days not at all. But when I was, I.
Speaker 3: Can't do your confession's got to take at least three hours.
Speaker 2: I don't. We don't do confessioning.
Speaker 1: My confession is like, well with that parking spot it.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll go to hell for the nextra five hundred years and that'll be it. But what about.
Speaker 1: The idea of ambition and rival because like when I was a young stand up, things were quite aggressive. Between stand ups, it was quite better and quite jealous. No, I don't want to lead the witness, but I kind of feel like your generation is a little more collegiate and a little more collaborative.
Speaker 3: I think because most of our we don't need a network anymore, you know, so we're not fighting for fifty two spots on the tonight show. We're fighting for Instagram reels or whatever. So I would say more.
Speaker 1: Collaborative, Yeah, I think to It depends on your scene.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm based in LA you have just a lot of nasty nights, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one's fighting for the Tacoma Spotsy.
Speaker 4: Like, I'll go other places and I'm like, oh this is pleasant. Everyone was quite pleasant tonight like it's not you know, it's just yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say rivalries, but you know, you have people that get quite upset when like, you don't have a million followers, Well, then how did you get to the that was like, well, I'm like funny for.
Speaker 2: Real, because there's always like that.
Speaker 4: That's something that no matter how many gimmicks you have, no matter how many you know, whatever you have, like if you don't if you can't show up and show out, like if you don't have that that thirty, that forty five, that fifty, that hour for real for I, then yeah, you had a really great show that one time, and then you're never gonna get booked again. And what we're seeing is like funny. I think funny is finally starting to come back because you have all these people who got really big on their podcast during the pandemic or you know, they have this great following and then obviously people are going to come out to see them because oh my god, I love your TikTok, Oh my god, I love your podcast, and you realize, oh, they can't do stand up. And I'm not saying what they do is easy, or we'd all have millions of views sure, it's just if you're going to come into this lane, I'm gonna need you to at least learn it and respect it, because the one thing that doesn't change is the audience. Whether you've been to a stand up comedy show or not. If you're coming to see me do stand up, you're expecting to laugh. You're expecting it to be a stand up show. That's the joto, And it's like a comic like me, I'm not I always say I'm funny, I'm not famous yet, and so I'll get I'll get on the road, and I do have my clubs where I headline, but I've been asked a feature for someone who might be a really great TikToker el so that and I have on more than one occasion, you know, done my twenty minutes and now I'm eating and fifteen minutes later they're wrapping up, and I'm like, how did I do more?
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes? And I'll then, you know, can you go back out there?
Speaker 4: And you know, Okay, well, let's let's talk about how we're going to handle that with the page.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, you want some more jokes I'm gonna need to see well, yeah, and the business is all about filling the seats now, so it's like, sure, as long as you can get people in the club, will just give you the money and go, We'll take the drink money, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think there's also more awareness to the competitive nature of it, so like because there's way more comedy podcasts, there's more people talking about it, so you know, I think there is awareness of like comparison being the thief of joy and.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but it also it is a time when it feels like the world of comedy is pleased a little more than for what you guys are allowed to or the orthodox say of what you're allowed to talk about and when you're not allowed to talk about. And in some regards I think it's it's a great leap forward. In other ways, I think you might be handcuffing wrong people here a little bit. I mean that, you know, when when humor is under the same rules, I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but I think human should be under a different center rules.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: I think the intention of just telling a joke sort of is it should be a get out of jail free ish, But it's hard to judge intention and certainly that doesn't stop people from taking something and putting a different context on it. But at the end of the day, I think we're still the most free oh entertainment. You know, we don't have to go through a line of my brother's in directing and he's trying to get a movie made and he's a you got to go through eighteen different versions of scripts and horrendous, and then you can put it out two years later and then people will hate it, you know, Whereas like I can think of a joke that day, I can think of a joke that day and then go test it and be like, well, here we go, here we go. You know, we find out immediately and there's something appealing about that.
Speaker 2: It's also but you got you kind of have to look at who's laughing as well.
Speaker 3: I mean there's definitely people that like sometimes if you do like a like a gay joke, and then people come up to you, like when you made fun of the gay people, and you're like, I'm getting the wrong.
Speaker 4: I mean my general rule with them is this, I you know, to your point, I don't feel like anyone should be stifled and the way I too, like I'll talk about anything and everything. But as long as I'm not I know when I wrote this joke, when I came up with this bit, it was not written with malicious intent. And then for the most part, I'm talking about things that have happened to me, you know.
Speaker 2: And I told them, I was like, if you're upset, how the fuck, how the hell excuse me, what actually happened?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, Like, it's funny now that we've worked through it, and da da, But but I think to what the over policing now does is it creates a subset of comics that are like, let me say something so outlandish. I agree that now I've pissed everybody off, and now I'm I'm in this genre of comic even though if they're not even really that person.
Speaker 2: I agree. There's a lot of comics.
Speaker 4: Where I've seen their clips and I'm like, I don't ever want to run across this person meet them, nicest person in the world. They have created this this persona.
Speaker 1: Also, it speaks to your your the idea of the illusion that they are comedians.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: If you're just saying a bunch of hateful ship that a bunch of other hateful people respond to, I don't feel like that is really working in the in the genre of comedy, you just.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are there are great stand up.
Speaker 1: Comedians like I think Anthony Jeselnick is a great stand up comedian who works with some stuff like there's no way I could say that or even agree with it. It's I mean, that's a terrible thing to see.
Speaker 3: He's also going for shock value, and he is, but he's also he's very skillful, and he's a good stand up as opposed to you get people who just say mean things and yeah, it's not the it's not the same.
Speaker 1: And and also I think, and I don't want to use the jesil neck as an example too much, but it is kind I kind of get the feeling that there's a wink there that you know that I know this is horrible. You know this is horrible, you know somewhere even although I would never.
Speaker 2: Admit to this, I don't mean it's the smile too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he's a handsome fellow too, so he can get away with a little more there.
Speaker 1: Well, And that's I think we're all in that. We're all very good looking people, and that's that's what we're.
Speaker 3: If that's what you want to believe. Sure's your podcast. You're allowed to make the rules. Does it matter good looking?
Speaker 2: Does it matter? We're not filming this right.
Speaker 4: I think stand up is the one realm where you can be like funny looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I mean there's a lot of good look at people doing it.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I mean it used to used to be like if you had one eye bigger than the other eye, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't. Yeah, you can't be in the middle.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to be either so attractive that people stop scrolling or so ugly that people.
Speaker 4: Stop happening that. I can completely agree with that. Like I used to say that about weight with with actors in Hollywood. You can't be in between. You're either fit or your facts. If you're in between, it's like you're you're sloppy and you need to either get yourself together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like a lot of work. What happened? What happens when.
Speaker 1: When you start out and you make a mistake, Like to me, I think part of learning would be a stand up is you.
Speaker 2: Got to fail. You have to fail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a it's a thing that you really you're not gonna learn how to do it.
Speaker 2: Look if you I'm looking at you both.
Speaker 1: I know you both enough to know about your material that you both have fucking died up there at some point you're both good enough.
Speaker 2: I wish I hadn't posted that. But but here's the thing. That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Everything you do, like like I had to fight.
Speaker 2: To get filmed when I was starting.
Speaker 1: Now you guys are getting filmed on the way to the gay you know, so everything is get everything is there forever.
Speaker 3: All the the first four content in general is so strong that it's like, like you were saying, like every day part of your responsibilities, like do I have a clip to post?
Speaker 2: Do I have to thing to promote?
Speaker 3: Because you're always at a club and you gotta be making making a noise or whatever.
Speaker 4: Sorry, the schedule, like I have a I have a Monday, Wednesday, Friday really of what I Then I'll sit usually I sit on Sundays and I take a few hours of my day and whatever it shows I haven't clipped up yet, I'll clip those up. And then I kind of have a process where I tease my followers a little bit through my stories. I'll post clips to my stories, though those clips that get the most reactions are the ones that end up actually getting posted to the page.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know, it's a lot of work for you guys. I think it's harder. I think it's actually it's easier in one way and harder than another.
Speaker 2: I mean it's.
Speaker 3: Because more middle class, you know, I think, yeah, And whereas it used to be superstar or probably nothing, and now there's like.
Speaker 2: You can make eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like one hundred seeds around town and I call it like my Eagles cover band tour. And I'm just like, you know, I go to like the b cities where I'm like, Craig Fergus isn't coming, you know, So I'm your best.
Speaker 2: But but it's the whole thing as well.
Speaker 1: Is that what I was surprised that And this is actually something that I think Bette Midler said this is that the one of the most disheartening things about success is that not everyone is happy for you. And have you noticed as because you're both moving forward, you both are You've got traction.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I'm mercenary enough to know, Yeah, these two have got a future, so I'll put them on. Okay, I'm not I'm not without guile when it comes to this. He's more hip replacement. But it's it's kind of a it's an odd thing. Does it take that form? Have you become aware of it?
Speaker 2: Is it? Do you start to feel isolated from your peers if you do well?
Speaker 1: Like if you're filling a hundred sears before you fill one hundred seat or the people who are still not filling one hundred seies? Are you like, do you pull apart? Do they get mad at you? Do they put mean comments on your phone?
Speaker 3: No, not that I think it's like you're saying, it's sort of isolating in a way because when you're coming up, you're with your peers every night at the open mic, and and then when you start hitting the road, it's like, well, we can't both be features in Tulsa. So he's in Tallahassee, I'm in whatever, and so you know, you lose that sort of community. But I think stand ups in general have common you know, experience, So no matter where you go in the world, you need a stand up And yeah, you can become friends almost instantly because you have this shared experience of oh, let me tell you about my hell gig, and let me tell you about this, right and then this. You know, I think you'd be the change you want to see. Like I help out, I pay my opener as well. I share the money information with him to let him know. I think that avoids resentment. Is going like here's what I made, Here's what I spent, here's what I did.
Speaker 4: Right, that's terrible idea, you know. I mean, to your point, the code to my all that, all of it. I actually have his bank account number. Wow, he didn't give it to me. But but no, I think, you know, yeah, I mean it can be islaning period, just because you're on the road, you're you're in the hotel rooms. But I think the more I traveled, the more friends I make on the road, because now I'm now it's now we were all doing the same thing, you know, in this kind of realm. Like I'll probably see you get in a couple of months and it'll be like we just saw each other yesterday.
Speaker 3: I think with Instagram and stuff, you can each other's yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you just like the.
Speaker 1: Story and you go, yeah, I remember my son saying this to me a week ago. He's twenty three, and he said, I'm meeting a friend of mine for the first time. I like, because they're friends, Yeah, he said, actually the first Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: But I will say this though, you do at least because I'm I'm hyper aware, I'm I'm I'm looking, I'm seeing, and you know, you when certain things have happened, at least in my career in the past couple of years, because I feel like I'm in that weird realm where in a few years people are going to say it was an overnight success, even.
Speaker 2: Though it's year twelve.
Speaker 4: And I feel that happening now with some of the things I have going on. And I think the first time I realized that everyone's not happy for you, even though we were just hanging out and kicking it was when I did JFL a few years ago, and I mean, I was over the moon. I was excited, and I just remember talking to people about it and I just so happened to I just glanced over at somebody and the look on his face and from that day, I mean, and we were very close. From that point forward, he would just kind of handle me with kid gloves. I'm like, what did I do. I'm just well that goes to the saying. They're like, if you're talking to your friends about what you're doing and it's perceived as bragging, you might need a new group because everyone I know is doing big things. So it's not like I'm bragging. I'm like, oh, well, okay, well how do I hell? He look me up with one hundred?
Speaker 3: And the thing is not the one thing is not the thing that makes you like the j f L.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean hell anymore? You know what I mean. It's like, didn't they go buster?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, that's.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you something that this is like, I'm definitely going to I'm the old guy talking to you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Here's the way out of this ship. Here's the absolute fucking currency of show business. This is the secret mcguffin that will always keep you right. Money is not a success, is not artistic fulfillment is not it? You know how you surviving this fucking game? Flattery? Keep telling other people fucking great they are all the time.
Speaker 2: I really like it. You guys are.
Speaker 3: Surprise you're not wearing sandals with those Well see not? Now you went back didn't help it? Would you fell back? What they would have been getting where sandy, I can't keep off. It used to be straight to wear sandal.
Speaker 2: Earing in the wrong ear, and you're fucked now. You know what was funny? I put that the other day.
Speaker 1: I was sitting in the house with my wife and kids, and.
Speaker 2: My get it, you're actually straight.
Speaker 1: No, I never said it was a little curious. I love with your fucking labels. Man, forget that. But I'm sitting with my current family and my youngest boy said, you did you do you think you're because I used to have an earring in when I was a kid, you know, And he said, do you think your ear would still take the earring?
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh no.
Speaker 1: And my wife had an earring and she went, try this one and I put it and it went straight away, and I went, I wonder if that's because the hole is still there. Because I'm now so old in my ears are just sponging.
Speaker 4: You can actually put an earring anywhere right now.
Speaker 1: I could be like covered in it. But that's what happens. You get spongy as you get older. What about the line? What about the line? George Carlin said that, so I think we can agree.
Speaker 2: Carlin is a good call me. I like Carlin as a comedian.
Speaker 1: He said, the job of a comedian is to find where the line is and cross it deliberately.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think I still applies? Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 4: But to our point with that, it's are you at least from I'm like, am I crossing this line intellectually? Because I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say something just to say it, you know, say something just for the shock value, which we've you know, talked about that there is now a subset of that because it, you know, gets people so riled up on no matter what side of the fence you're on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely, you know, think you should cross the line.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite jokes from my specialism a bit called the New Jim Crow, and it is.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: It's a very fun joke to tell because I can see people not knowing where I'm about to go with this, being very uncomfortable, and then when that punch hits, it's like, oh, but it's it's still based in reality, so it's like, well, yeah, we do kind of need to get our shit together, but you know, yes, across the lad that's what makes things funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you make people think in the way they haven't thought before. It's very rewarding. But it's I mean, and I wonder if that's part of the nature of the draw for stand up, because it's not just about making people laugh.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 1: If it's this, there's got to be more, it's not there's got to be more. There is more.
Speaker 4: We say the things out loud that everybody's been through and it's like you ever have and you don't. You don't even realize that you knew that that was a thing until you hear and you're like, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I go through that. I've been through that, I've done that.
Speaker 1: What about the idea that it's not a linear progression with stand ups? And I'll tell you what I mean by that. It's like if you look at uh, there's a stand up called Dayton Cook.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I think Dane now is the best he's ever been. But he's not playing anything like the rooms he was playing twenty years ago Madison Square Garden, right, I mean, because that because that would I think they might have been. The first was like MySpace or something that blew him up and he was like it was a super fashionable thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my space that was when the Internet was powerd by. But tell me what my space was used to do. He wouldn't have a topic. And if you took somebody out, that was it. That's it.
Speaker 1: There was like five people on the Internet at the time.
Speaker 2: It was quiet.
Speaker 1: But friend couldn't be on the phone at the same time as it cuts you off.
Speaker 2: My dad just to put the his jacket on to answer the phone. That's how old. Just like a phone on the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it wasn't on the wall, sure, yeah, it was like one of those phones, you know that, the Three Stooges phones. Yeah, it's but it's a different time and so it's it's it's different now. And what I think is the pressure on you guys is to succeed right now.
Speaker 2: And I kind of wonder what's the end.
Speaker 1: Game if you're a young comic right now when you both are what is there Because it used to be like if I get the gig on Carson, if I do if I get called to the couch when I'm on the show with Johnny Carson, if I do the HBO specially right do you know there.
Speaker 3: Was always we're talking about earlier, like there is no one thing anymore necessarily. So it's got to come, like the joy has got to come from within, right, So Like I just did a show for my dad in Vegas, and twenty minutes of it is about him. And then when I get home, my mom is like, that was my favorite show ever. I'm like, well, yeah, because I made fun of him for a half the hour. But that gives me the joy of like, oh, that's going to push me for a couple more days, you know, until I need a new source of motivation or whatever. But well, that's but that's what you're not living for the late night I mean, this podcast is my dream.
Speaker 4: Yeah sure, I mean for me, my my perfect career would be if I'm not on stage, I'm on set. If I'm not on set, I'm on stage. Stand up was never supposed to happen. I've I've I went to school for theater. I love acting, and it's crazy because all the roles I book are very serious. I don't book many comedic roles, so stand up gives me this duality where I'm kind of like able to unleash. So you know, but you know, we had the pandemic, then you have to strike, so it's like now that things are kind of picking up steam again, it's like we're getting closer to having you know, more auditions, more bookings, and yeah, that's what that's that's what I would love.
Speaker 1: That's what to me, Well, I just stand up as a kind of way to get my union card.
Speaker 2: That was the only reason is that?
Speaker 3: So usually the other way around, people are like, you need something to support your stand up habit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no.
Speaker 1: To me, and in fight, Late Night was the pinnacle of this because it used to talk about everyone that I met, or or a lot of journalists or a lot of people I met when I was doing Late Night. It'd be like, oh, it's the dream job, the late night showing. I'm like, is it? Because to me it was like being a fucking realtor you know. It was like, well it was in town and it's it's not a it's not a great job, but you get your photograph on bus yeah stops and you know, and it's okay.
Speaker 2: But I never wanted to be it.
Speaker 1: And if you don't want to be it and other people want it, they can get mad at you for that. It's like you're being disrespectful about it or something ungrateful. Yeah, and it's not that I was very grateful for it. I changed my life. It was fantastic, but but it wasn't aspirational for me.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to be a standout comedian. But I think that showed in your show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put a tucking robot.
Speaker 1: Choice, by the way, that was a good robot. I mean the robot was emblematic of how badly I failed it late night because I thought I'm going to put this ironic robo.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a your time.
Speaker 3: You got replaced by AI, right.
Speaker 1: But the thing is it wasn't a It exactly a very talented human being called Josh Robert Thompson who was doing the robot. It wasn't a robot at all. And then he get mad at me for a while because he's like, well I should be famous for the Yeah, but it's the robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And we figured it out. But it was.
Speaker 3: Mister ed too. He was always going her it's me. Yeah, Oh my god, am I am. I will word for mister that. Fuck you guys, Well, I can't believe this. You really happy after this? Open this up? You have you know the thing about the podcast? Send you an invoice for the therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's this is what this is. But you know what it is. It's actually it is in a way.
Speaker 1: I kind of sorbet after late night doing this because all I do here is talk to people want to talk to.
Speaker 2: And if you do a show every.
Speaker 1: Night, you're talking to people you don't want to time, you're talking to people you don't want to talk to.
Speaker 2: It now it's work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially if that show is a hit, and especially if it's on broadcast TV, then you're going to be talking to a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably shuffle in here.
Speaker 3: We're promoting this all the fuss whatever, and you're like.
Speaker 2: And you know what, sometimes you get surprised.
Speaker 1: You're like you think, I don't want to talk to that guy, and then like your best friends forever, and then sometimes you think this is going to be great, and you're like, it's why I would never allow anyone from the Sopranos on the show while I was running, because I was like, I love the Sopranos.
Speaker 2: I want that in my head. Yeah yeah I don't want to. I mean you're going to do that now. You're running into people.
Speaker 1: You're in show business, you're running the people that you admire and it's not always fun.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's there's something enlightening almost where you're like I get to see a humanside of them, and it's sort of less pressure on you to go Like some of my heroes are also fucked up people. Yeah, and they're just humans. I've had this experience with my parents too lately where they stop.
Speaker 2: You're seeing your prints are fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they like stopped pretending that they haven't together, like all right, Well, and so my mom and I were going for a walk and she's a little lonely, but she met this random lady on the street walking her dog in the neighborhood, and she talked to her for fifteen minutes and then we walked away, like, oh, you made a new friend.
Speaker 2: She's weird. I'm like, you just talk to her for twenty minutes, Like you're weird too. Yeah, we're all weird.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think that's the gift of stand up though, versus acting is because with stand up comedian was stand up comedy. There's only one way to get out. You got to go to the clubs. Yeah, you got to get on stage. So we end up on stage with you know, famous comedians because it's eleven o'clock at the store and they're trying to get they need to get something out real quick. Sure, and so you know you're you're in these situations where you do meet them, and to your point, yeah, it's like it humanizes them, it normalizes them. But it also what I find is it makes it very interesting. Like when my friends ask me about so I don't even I don't get into conversations with what I call civilians about comedians because if I'm like I don't like this, I'm not saying I don't think he's funny. I'm telling you I think he's an asshole because I've seen him be an asshole. And I don't want to ruin that for you because you want to go see this movie and I'll sit through it. But in my mind, I'm like, this guy cussed my friend out yesterday for stepping out the.
Speaker 1: Show, you know what I mean, Like there's something no I get that, and I mean and that's kind of why I was so careful about I never had the sopranos on, and I never I don't know if he would ever have done it, but I would never invite David Boy on sh love David Boy, and I was like, if David Boy turns out to be an asshole, what the fuck am I going to do that? That's like four years worth of great music.
Speaker 3: You're probably upset about the Diddy news too, Yeah, to see one of your heroes taken down. So yeah.
Speaker 1: There is a weird thing though, and it it is a thing that I think your generation is much more in trouble with than my generation was, is that you have to be a nice person apparently, like you know, you have.
Speaker 2: To be like you have to be kind of uh.
Speaker 1: It's you know, people will say have you met celebrity action sy And then one of the first things they'll say is are they nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like why is that fucking matter?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'll just be like they're cool. Yeah, Like that's that's my tell. If you know that I don't want to talk about this person. They're full and let's just.
Speaker 2: Stand up language like, oh they're a great guy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like not funny, but I mean, listen, you did what you needed to do. How do you feel about how do you feel about it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: If anybody asked you, do you feel it went?
Speaker 2: Well? Jesus, where do you think you lost them? Do you know what?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I've been starting the act with recently, though I don't think you can do it until you're old, but I've been starting it with.
Speaker 2: You know, like I've been doing this for a long time. I've won some awards, I've made a little money. So if it sucks tonight, it's not me.
Speaker 1: We were talking about that in Yeah the first time. Yeah, I started putting that you're like these people, I'm right, like the math Max, this is on my you know, it's like your brothers suck. You're fifteen minutes being an audience. You decide on me?
Speaker 2: Fuck you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have ten thousand hours of being a critic, right, But that's.
Speaker 1: It's kind of It's kind of odd though, for for you guys, because people make up their minds about you in forty five seconds, thirty seconds. I mean, yeah, you can friend zone, I get it. Yeah, Well, just with the idea of you know, doing stand up. You do one joke that they don't like.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: You're done with stand up. You're as good as whatever set you just finished, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's a set. I'm talking like, in the middle of a set, do you like, lose them. Yeh yeah, you can lose them, but the job is bring them back. You know, you fuck up, you get you turn it around, but you can't because so much of what you guys are doing now I feel is the pressure is extreme. Maybe I'm wrong, you know, I think that the pressure is on you to provide this free content on cell phones that for it just doesn't fucking sit right with me.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what you you there.
Speaker 4: You have to be strategic with it, because my thing is I don't I would hate for you to come to my show and you're like, I've seen all this on her Instagram.
Speaker 2: I've seen all of these jokes on her Instagram.
Speaker 4: I've seen this all So you know, you just have strategies, you know, with how you post what you post. Like if I'm posting clips of jokes, you know, it's usually something that's probably already been on my special and I'm just I've done this. I mean, just because I've done it on my special doesn't mean I'm not going to do it at the room in Torrance. And I'm going to do it in Torrance. I don't care it's Torrance.
Speaker 1: And yeah, every type I do a special before it comes out, you're still doing the material, and then.
Speaker 2: A couple of monks and it's like, what the fuck that joke?
Speaker 3: I mean, they say like great artist, never finished it as abandoned.
Speaker 2: To make me feel better? Do you know who said that?
Speaker 1: Actually, Michelangelo, he was and you will funny.
Speaker 2: I was there. I was there. That was when my ears were still. You were a boy for the chapel. I know, I was the model of the model. Yeah, there's the model. Now. Obviously it was a cold day, but.
Speaker 3: I was was that your gay experience where you're touching the finger?
Speaker 1: You know, if I if I was touching a finger made you gay? I gaate a lot more than I thought. But I gave I touched more than a finger, don't know. Oh you know what the.
Speaker 3: First time you mentioned that on this podcast? No, okay, no already anywhere today.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I did this because I used to do this thing when people it was a couple of years back, pre I guess wokeness or something. People would use the word gay as a kind of slop when we were kids, like that's gay. Yeah yeah, And I didn't like almostually right. It was just like we're using it for like lame or something.
Speaker 2: And I didn't like it. So I used to do this bit.
Speaker 1: In the act about yeah, I gay and and uh, and I said, well, of course I did. I mean, how you know you're gonna like something until you try it, Like, I don't know if I like chicken fingers, well, put one in your mouth. Yeah, you feel and needs a little sauce. I know this that you'd be surprised how quickly that sauce arise.
Speaker 2: But I digress. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's getting a bit penisy.
Speaker 2: I apologize. OK's all right, that's where you're here to balance it out. Yeah, I'm sorry, I got penis. That's not the first time I've said that I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it, you know, give it a try, That's what I say. Guys, you guys, you've been awesome. It's been lovely talking to you. I am encouraged for the state of young comedy in America.
Speaker 2: It's nice. Yeah it is. You're both really good stand ups. You're great. You're going to get better and you're great now.
Speaker 1: And I love that you're feeling it and doing it and it's it's impressive.
Speaker 2: Well done. Thank you, keep fucking going.
Speaker 1: And lay off the drugs, nothing hard, playoff the penisf that's.
Speaker 2: Going to be easier for both of you.
Speaker 3: H