Speaker 1: Comedy Saved Me. Welcome to Comedy Save Me.
Speaker 2: I am Lynn Hoffman, And before we get started swelling, you know, I host another show called Music Save Me, which is very similar to Comedy Save Me, sort of like a franchise, which is a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I talk to musicians about the healing.
Speaker 2: Power of music, much like I talked to great comedians about the healing power of comedy. Now today's guest has made a career out of finding the funny in life's most uncomfortable truths, and she does it brilliantly. She is a stand up comedian, a writer, an actor, a podcast host whose credits include NPR, HBO, Comedy Central, The Moth, CBS, and iHeart. And when she's not that busy, she headlines theaters and comedy venues around the world and tours regularly with The Moth mainstage. She's one of the sharpest, most compelling voices in comedy today, and now she has a brand new comedy special because she just wants to canti iuld do herself. I used to be nicer, which I think I need on my T shirt right now. We gotta make T shirts. And the best part is produced by the legendary Lewis Black, who I've had on this podcast before.
Speaker 1: I can't even wait to get into this with you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thank you, Oh my goodness, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's my pleasure. Oh, Fira Eisenberg, I should say her name. She is here and we're gonna find out when we come back why she used to be nicer. Coming up next on Comedy Save Me, You're gonna want to miss not gonna want to miss it? Did I just say you're gonna want to miss this?
Speaker 3: Do to me?
Speaker 1: I can believe on making you laugh? Comedy Saved Me. Oh Fira, welcome to Comedy Safe.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks. I think when someone goes like like you just made that hell, I mean it's hilarious. We should always be saying this, you're gonna want to miss this? Uh, there is no limited time on this love it when hurry up, hurry up. There's a there's a very standard thing that a lot of comics you'll hear say at the Animal show, where they go, you know, you've been great, I have to go, Thank you so much. And I know a comic that always says I've been great, you have to go. I just any reversal of that stuff I love.
Speaker 2: Or it's like, enough about me, let's talk about me exactly, exactly exactly. Oh, my God ofire the title of your new special. I absolutely love I Used to be Nicer. It feels like it carries a whole life philosophy in four little words. When did you stop being nicer? And was comedy a part of what gave you permission to do that? I said, definitely, I mean definitely.
Speaker 3: I think it's a better place to do it than in the real world, because in the real world there might be repercussions. But I just feel, you know, it's a little bit of everything. It's a little bit of you know, just expertise. As life, life, sex, life situations pile up on you. You know, you're a little good way. You put more boundaries on things. You're a little bit a little bit more into, you know, limitations, and you let people know if you are not up. I'm not a pushover as much anymore. But and then as a woman, I'm a people pleaser. So it's slowly working out of that. But also, you know, I grew up in Canada, so for years and years and years and years, even to this day, I'll talk to someone I barely know, and then maybe somehow it comes up. I go, I, you know, grew up in Canada, and they go, oh, you're Canadian, that's why you're so nice.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, uh huh.
Speaker 3: And I always like to say, well, you know what, I've lived in New York for twenty years, I'm a parent to a small child, and I am a woman working in comedy. Let me tell you something. You should have met me ten years ago because I used to be nicer. That's the person you want to talk to now now. Yeah, I mean, but everyone still goes, oh, my goodness, affair, you're still really nice. So I guess you can't shaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you are underneath it all.
Speaker 2: And definitely that was a great way to describe it, because yeah, it's it's it gets harder and harder, but being a people pleaser is definitely something got it started in I think women in general.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know what, and I the wellness community, which part of it I love, of course, who's in love doing things that are nice to yourself, But part of it I really hate, and it's all at women, like people who put positive affirmations. I mean, I get it. We should all be positive but I just feel like it's everyone's telling us like, hey, ladies, you know, basically like manifest your success. Come on, no one, no one's gonna give you anything. Don't worry if you didn't get that promotion, it's not it's not our fault, it's your fault. So I also am just like, oh, I'm not nice about that stuff. I'm not nice of positivity. I'm not nice about any of it.
Speaker 2: But no, and this definitely describes a little bit of wh you worked so beautifully with Lewis Black.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that. Oh yeah, because I can hear the similarities already.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 2: We asked every guest who comes on comedy save me how comedy saved them, and I'll post the question.
Speaker 1: Was there a specific moment in.
Speaker 2: Your life Ofirah when you realize that humor wasn't just entertainment, it was literally survival?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, I mean so, this is a little anecdote that I love. I was part of a women's networking event where I was actually performing. I was performing at it, but the way it was set up, they wanted all of us to have dinner together, so I was having I was at a table with a bunch of women from different professions. I did not know, but it was weird because I was the one person that was part of the show. But We're all going around saying what we do, and I'm like, oh, I'm a stand up I'm actually performing later, And of course a very standard question is immediately posed to me, where someone says, oh, why did you get into stand up comedy? And I've always wished lynn that I had a fun, snappy, little SoundBite answer like, oh, my uncle was hilarious and I idolized him, or you know, I used to I was the class clown, and so it just carried over. But none of those things ring true to me. So I just sat there and I don't know if it was the day or I was tired or whatever, but I just took a deep breath and I said, why did I start comedy? Childhood trauma?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: And everyone had a quick laugh. And then the woman beside me said, it's kind of why I became a lawyer, and the next woman said, I feel like that's why I became a doula, and the next woman said, I think that's why I got into medicine. And everyone was linked to the fact that they pursued with passion where they are, you know, just because of something. You know in a good way that they took a traumatic situation that they had to deal with and they have turned it into their pas So I mean, I feel like we're all saving our lives with whatever our passion is. But comedy is such a clear line because that is about reframing it and owning it. And you know, I was in a terrible car accident when I was a kid. I suffered. I suffered, and you know, it's twelve years now, so I am on the other side of it, hopefully forever breast cancer. But I have talked about this stuff as the years have gone by. I have worked it into storytelling, solo show, a lot of funny stuff, a lot of poignant stuff, but a lot of funny stuff because that is my way of owning it. And also, you just find that once you tell your audience I was vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Things have happened.
Speaker 3: I got through it. I figured this out. I figured it gives them permission to not feel so bad about themselves from whatever they've gone through. And that's that's when I feel like we all join. Like when I can and I'm telling you this because I'm okay. It almost gives other people permission to go, oh maybe I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, permission to laugh not only check your issues and trauma from your you know, but permission to laugh at themselves absolutely their situation.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, it's just that step back, you know, it's just that step back because of course, when you tell a story about yourself, or you do any art with something that is personal from your memoir, you're not telling the whole story. You're telling a portion of it. And to do that means that you're creating a lens, a lens a specific and that is starting to craft it. So that takes you a step back. And then all of a sudden, you know, you're crafting your story. And I think we kind of throw that around in a therapy way, like the be the owner of your story, be the one that you are writing your story. But have you ever done it? Have you ever actually written your story? It's different than the actual story. Is now your story, just in the same way that if a friend of were to write a story about you, it would be like their story of you. So it's it's it's that's when I think it's artistry it's not therapy, it's not live, it's not live processing it is actually art.
Speaker 2: Sure is you've built a career out of some really raw personal material, And you mentioned scars, relationships, like the messiness of real life kind of what you were just discussing. Where's the line for you between processing something very private and personal and then deciding that it belongs on stage because I'm sure there are certain things that you will not bring forward or maybe you'll.
Speaker 3: Bring yeah, you know, I mean, you're right. So one just a major touch point is I just like the only person that I should be taking down on stage is myself, Like I don't want to make fun or punch down on anyone else. I think there's probably a few exceptions where someone might deserve it, but that's not really what I'm doing. And then sometimes the rawness if I'm if things are still very painful, that means more time has to happen, because hindsight is real and you have to get to the point where you own it. And I have been on stages where you are watched or at shows where you're watching someone kind of process stuff in real time, and like that thing that I said where I feel like you have to stand there and be tell people I'm okay. The fact that I'm here it means I'm I'm somewhere on the other side of this is so important. So because you want your audience to relax, you don't want them the whole time to be anxious, like is this person okay, that's not the hack I'm doing. That is not the end. She can dive off, she can freak out. So but sometimes I just it's once you know, if you're on stage, you've decided where the ending is. So in some ways, let's say a story about a bad breakup or a divorce like that could be something you're dealing with for a long time, depending on who you are. That's because something that maybe some people are twenty years past this and they're still working through it. But again, to put it on in the act is like you have to decide where the end is. So you put a finish line and you go, this is where this ends. And that's when I think it's fit for stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just said the hindsight, and it's so weird that that keeps coming up. Yeah, in my life, like, hindsight is twenty twenty. Hindsight is twenty twenty all of a sudden, Oh my god, hindsight is twenty twenty. Hello, It's like that's where you grow and learn from and you can actually turn that into comedy and then help other people figure out their hindsight and what the patterns are because I'm convinced everything's a pattern. Now everything's a pattern. Yeah, and you have to control the bat. But that's just the magical part of comedy is that that you're able to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just people come up to you afterwards and say interesting things to you, like, oh, maybe I have a story, you know, where I talk about some you know, medical stuff I've been through, like as I mentioned, like a lot of illness and stuff. And at one point, I think I just had a very quick line about how everyone was telling me how strong I was, and I made jokes about that, but there was just a little line of and I felt like I was doing nothing, Like I didn't understand what I was doing to be so strong. I felt like I was doing nothing. And you would not believe the amount of people of all the things I said in that entire act came up to me afterwards and said, I've always you know, I have thought about that too. How people keep telling me how strong I am and I'm like, I'm not doing anything like I you know, and you just find different things resonate with people. And if you can allow yourself to maybe say the stuff in a craftful way that is not where you're the hero, where you were at your best, where you triumphed, but the truth of what happened and how you figured it out. That's when I feel like people, that's what I love when I see other people do that, and I feel like that's when you just feel everyone lean in and they're excited because they are like, yes, this is what I think about.
Speaker 2: Do you see the look in their face when you're performing to an audience when that moment happens, Can you see?
Speaker 3: Or maybe maybe one sometimes? Yeah, sometimes one on one is definitely easier. But sometimes when I'm in the middle of it, like I can't take in all that stimulus.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's a it's a lot, yes it is.
Speaker 2: But when they all laugh, like I said, it's you know, immediately I had you chuckling.
Speaker 1: I wasn't even trying to be funny.
Speaker 3: I'm just you know, just just hack.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but you know, to make people laugh, especially comedians, but in general, I mean it has to be one of the most fulfilling feelings in the world or just healing for you too. Yeah, on the one giving the healing stuff is receiving, you know, And there's some things, especially with my new special, I have a bonus to it, which is a story that I do tell about, you know, the kind of post year of after my breast cancer.
Speaker 3: And it has a pretty edgy punchline to it, and I was I didn't do the story for a long time because I was pretty concerned that when I I wanted to tell this story so bad Lynn, you have no idea, but I was so worried that when I got to that punchline that the audience would not be happy with me. Ooh, and so I was pretty hesitant to get it out there. And I finally I did some one on ones with people, some comedians and some people that I know from the moth world to basically temperature test it. Yeah, test it, and they were like, no, it's okay, because you set this up and you set this up, and you set this up, and then I you know, then I had to do it on stage, and when that got a big, huge pop, it felt fantastic. It really felt very gratifying.
Speaker 1: And what special is this?
Speaker 3: Just so when people this is, yeah, so this is I used to be nicer. If you know, you can watch the special actually right now, you can actually also get it as an audio album. I think a lot of people like having audio albums. They like throwing stuff in their ears and doing their chores or going on jogs or listening to in your car so driving. Yeah, so that's available on all you know, Apple Music and YouTube Music and Amazon, all those places, and there's a bonus story. There's a bonus story. Uh. And that that one that.
Speaker 1: We were just kind of touching.
Speaker 3: That I don't want to give it away because it's a good team.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: No, No, I love that I do. And the reason why I asked which special because you get so many?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I do have a few. But even even when talking about parenting, I think when you know, of course they're is more comedy to be had when you criticize it, right, Because if I said I just love everything, Oh it's so easy and I'm wonderful at it, nobody cares nobody cares. But if I go, I don't like this, and this is why I don't like it, And you know what, this is not reaching my expectations. And this is how my kid was kind of crappy. You know. That's where people are feel relaxed and happy to laugh because they're just like, oh, it's not just me. Oh my goodness, I'm going through stuff too. Oh the guilt is gone, you know. Yeah, And that's not easy. That's not easy at all.
Speaker 2: And speaking of that Lewis Black produced, I used to be nicer. Yeah, I need to know what that collaboration was like, Like what does a legend like Lewis Black bring to the creative process of putting together a.
Speaker 1: Special and how did you get anything done with him?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean, like, let's let's se his I mean he kind of most of his collaboration was really just support because he he knows what this is like. And so he and I met years ago as actually on that NPR show I used to host. I interviewed him for that live on stage, and he at the time had mentioned that he would be interested in maybe producing my comedy album because he was like, you're smart, you know. There was just some things that we live in the same world as and at the time I just really didn't know how to move forward with that. But then years later it came back around and I was talking to him about a totally different project and he said, you want to still do that comedy special and I was like yeah, So then it became a lot. I mean, we just spent a lot of time with his team talking about the technical aspects and he was just very supportive about how to get the best performance and just and the reality mabe. We all just I love talking to fellow performers because we all know what we're dealing with and we all know what it's like to you know, things don't always go as planned, and the kind of verbiage we like hearing each other say, because these things doing these specials super fun, but it's live on stage, so anything can happen. Happen, and it does ruin it potentially or change it or it's not you know, you're not doing this very finite product. Of course you're going to edit it. So yeah, yeah, yeah, Wow.
Speaker 2: He's one of my time favorites years ago as well, and just always like no matter what, just the sweetest, most.
Speaker 3: So nice, and so I think it's so funny that I don't think anyone thinks he's prickly, but of course he's so angry exactly exactly, but as a person, just one of the sweetest and talk about someone who I think, well, anyways, he is. He is an artist. He has he's written plays. He you know, has such a huge playwriting background, and so he comes at it from this very like holistically artistic creative place, which I you know, to me, that was the best.
Speaker 1: Sounds so dreamy.
Speaker 2: You've done stand up, let's see solo theatrical shows. Did I say that vmoir podcasting, which you're still doing.
Speaker 1: These are all very different muscles.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's how I look at it.
Speaker 3: That's so funny you say that because people go, oh, like, what's the difference between this this, and I go, it's like, it's still your arm, but today it's BICEP, and tomorrow it's triceep and the other day for arm, you know, but you it's still your arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's a really cool way we're putting it in.
Speaker 2: Also, you do have to rest muscles after you work them, so you need to have a few different ones to call on when when one needs to rest.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I've never been good with sticking to one thing, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: Never me. Neither did.
Speaker 2: People used to tell you when you we're a kid, you know, pick one thing and be really good at it.
Speaker 1: Always drive me nuts me.
Speaker 3: Too, because I didn't. I thought it was too much pressure. And I was also like, I don't like one thing. I like all these other things. I mean, I wished for years and years and years I wish. I was like, why can't I just do one thing? My life would be so much easier if I did one thing. Maybe I'm wrongdoing all these things, because maybe if I focused all the energy on one thing. You know, all this you know, this is this is how we torture ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, it is. And then that's hindsight again, like why did I torture myself? It's just fine doing twenty million things? You know, if you if there's we only get one shot at you know, go around in life. So why not try a lot of things? You know you may not be good at all of them, but in your case, sadly you are.
Speaker 3: But my question about I'm medium good at all of them?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, well, I'll take that.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I still think you're really which one's still of all the muscles that you have to work out, which one feels most like home and which one still kind of scares you?
Speaker 3: Is there? Oh my god, they will still scare me. They all still scare me. However, I will say, you know, in this world, in this podcasting world that we live in, talking to people and interviewing people has definitely gotten I think for me, easier and easier and easier because you kind of it gets easier to not feel scared about that or not freak out that you are wasting someone's time, Like I really walked in with a lot of those potential fears, and over time and I think actually just all of us are now so used to talking in these formats it's easier. I don't know if you feel that way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I've seen thing.
Speaker 2: I mean I used to host a show where I interviewed people and I would be petrified, you know, like to sit down with them because there's like camera people and make up artists and sound people and then all the people in the back room that are watching and listening making fun of me that I can't hear, and I don't want to waste someone's time like I'm doing with you.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're not, You're I don't want to talk about things.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you totally get that and stand up.
Speaker 3: You know, it's stand up as a funny way of playing with you because every time you go, oh yeah, I feel real solid, I feel really good. Oh, it will throw a new bizarre audience that is, you know whatever, A drunk person like it all. It's so humbling. It is one of the most humbling art forms because there's always a new thing, always a new reason for you to go like, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Is there one moment like that that stands out for you that you can remember that you can talk about.
Speaker 3: Where I was, I felt very modest, all of a sudden, very humbled.
Speaker 2: Well someone came at you. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty Most of the New York clubs are are very good at controlling the audience. I'll tell you one where I was the hero because it's kind of fun and that doesn't usually happen. What usually happens is so what's the problem, And I will just tell you it's mostly alcohol, Like it's alcohol, it's not no one ever comes in, I think with this sort of you know whatever, and now I'm gonna mess with this woman.
Speaker 1: Get her. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's some stand up comics who have acts that are much more they instigate people. I will say that some people have the kind they like that, they like kind of getting a rise out of people, So there's potential, but I don't have that act. However, these women were not drunk. But there was a group of young women, which made even more mad because I'm like, I'm the woman on stage. There's four other guys on this lineup like you this is the like, come on, be on my side. But they were chatting. They were chatting the whole show, chatting the whole show, whole show, hole show, and disruptive right in the front, chatting, chatting, and they were told to shut up, blah blah. They did not. I got on and they're right there chatting. It's like I can hear them while I'm trying to do my jokes, and I finally just went okay and I and I just was like, guys, guys, you're talking and they did not care. And I said to one of them, well, what do you do? What do you do and she was like I think she said she works at insurance, and I was like, do you like that job? She's like, it's okay, I go to make a lot of money. She goes it's okay. I go, well, what's your passion? Like what did you want to do? And she said I don't really know. And I was like, oh, well, I hope you figure that out, because this is my passion and right now you're ruining it. And the audience had had had to put up with these women all night too, so they applauded. They they applauded at that moment, and those women got up and stormed out.
Speaker 1: They did, yeah, well, thank you. That was beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I felt bad all of a sudden, of course, and then I immediately go to Mofia Eisenberg woman, you know, blah blah shame. I'm like, oh no, I hope the club isn't mad at me that I you know, blah blah blah. But no, they didn't give them their money back on the way. I'm sure they got their money back, but I was just like, don't come to a show. You do. Don't come to a show.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is like beyond hero. You should get a cape with your letter on it.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a huge Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was one time where I was just like, Okay, that worked out, I.
Speaker 2: Mean more or it was beautiful because you did that on the fly, live in front of an audience, and the most people could never even do that, even if it was like.
Speaker 1: A you know, alone on the street.
Speaker 2: And someone was heckling you, you couldn't do that.
Speaker 3: It worked out. I mean, it worked out. And sometimes you try to shut people down in some artful way and uh, and it doesn't work out that way, so you know, or yeah, they just get more and more belligerent or what have you. Yeah, I mean they're gonna steal that. There's a lot of times where I do think that there is still a little bit of a stereotype that we're all pushing up against. When there's a woman on stage with a microphone whose voice is being amplified louder than everybody else's, there's a lot of men that are like, nope, I must now say something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can see in their eyes right, like tell me I'm wrong. You can see the minute it happens when you start talking, and their eyes are like yeah, oh yeah, you know, like you can. They don't even have to say anything. You know, you're annoying the hell out of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're like, well, I will have to talk because I'm not going to listen to a female voice as long my voice is the one that should be highlighted. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that still goes on.
Speaker 2: I still think when I was a kid that that was you know, all that's from the past, you know, and I and.
Speaker 3: I and I call it out to them. I literally go, oh, I get it. It's really hard having a woman on a microphone with a louder voice signors. I totally understand.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more of the Comedy Save Me Podcast. Welcome back to the Comedy Save Me Podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh Fiarra, you hosted Ask Me Another on APR for nine years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First of all, that's a remarkable run for any show, whether it's a yeah, it doesn't matter what kind of show, I mean, just lasting. What did that experience teach you about connecting with an audience that you couldn't have learned doing stand up alone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so that was almost like a ring master job truly, because you're hosting a live show, but you're also kind of producing what happens on stage, because there's they were live contestants that were coming up on stage to play these clever, pretty difficult trivia games. Then there was a musician on stage with me, so there's just some banter there, and then there's just it's you know, this show is basically going to go to the audio world, so there's a lot of setting up just the station ideas, the ins and outs that are going to break all of that stuff, and then in between that hearing the crowd and responding to the crowd so we all feel like we're actually in a shared experience. So it was a lot And because it is going on MPR, it has to be clean and the kind of clean that you would be okay listening to in your car with your children. And I don't know if anyone's come up with a better phrase for this, but I called it doing positive comedy, Like you can't really take people down. I couldn't, like, you can't tear apart your contestants because they are so vulnerable and they're on stage feeling completely exposed and worried about failing, and you're not going to take down your fellow people on stage those are your shipmates, and you don't want to yell at the audience, so you have to figure out this way to be like positive about everything. And that was that. I mean, I feel like that skill was extremely useful, and it took kind of years to learn how to do that in any way that was effective and consistent. And then also I really think that's I learned how to interview. That's how I learned how to interview, because one I learned how to interview from the MPR standards. There's a news organization that helped me in the beginning just put together, you know, kind of what a good interview sounds like with a celebrity. But then you know, not long after, they was like, all right, now you do it, and I'm interviewing celebrities, but I'm interviewing real people, So you know, it was it was. I would come home from those shows exhausted, like just no more thoughts, thoughts.
Speaker 2: I bet like three things. Number One, you were a conductor, and the plates your plate spinning because you're like over here, okay, get this one start. That's amazing, though, because there's no way that you could have prepared for that except to just dive in and do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So that's that was one about really listening. And you know what, that's a valuable skill. And I say to a lot of new stand up comics that you know, they they want everyone wants to get better immediately, of course, and I have said to people, but of course they don't totally understand. It takes so long for you to be able to listen to the audience like actually hear them, not just sort of be in your own world where you're we're thinking about what am I saying next and how did that go? You're actually listening to the whole room, and then it's it's a and it's I think it's one of those skills that you have to work on every time every day, like again working out or or running, Like you just got to work at it every day because it it's hard, it's it takes a lot of confidence to hear it does if it doesn't go well, if it does go well, how things hit and make accurate predictions from that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why I always thank God for the makeup and hair people and lighting people, because.
Speaker 1: That's where it gave you. You got to get out on.
Speaker 2: The floor first of all, and that takes the that's the biggest guts because everyone's looking at you. So when you know that someone's taking care of that, that's off the plate.
Speaker 3: When you I mean, like, I look at my wardrobe always in such a different way. I mean the show closed versus the non show clothes, and I you because you want this feel, and I know some clothes that I have from I put it on and I just go, this is the feel. And you walk on stage and you just feel like a million bucks because you're like, yeah, this is who I am. And let me tell you, the audience smells it. They know we give them so such a hard time. We're always like that audience was stupid or they were drunk. But let me tell you, they have a sixth sense. And when you walk on there with a particular kind of vibe, they pick it up immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: They're very They know when they're being someone said a long time ago to me, people know when they're being advertised to. And I always feeling really do the really though, because I don't know, that's a whole other topic we can get into.
Speaker 3: Uh huh uh huh. Interesting I want.
Speaker 2: To talk to you about because I could probably go in a million directions with you.
Speaker 1: I just love talking with you.
Speaker 2: Parenting is a joke on iHeart is a Webby finalist for Best Host.
Speaker 1: Well that's congratulations, thank you, very thank you very much, thank you another muscle.
Speaker 2: What made you want to go deep on parenting as a comedy subject? Yeah, what felt sort of untapped that no one's touched yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just it was literally creating the product that I couldn't find for myself. So I found becoming a parent a pretty you know, lonely, a lonely place to be. I didn't, and I did it older. So there was that, And then I was I work in stand up, which is not particularly family friendly, like just from an hour's point of view or from a lifestyle point of view, and a many now I feel like more and more people have kids, But I felt like when I started, it was kind of a little bit of an unspoken rule that you weren't going to have a family if you really wanted to take this seriously. I mean the guys did, but that was just that terrible, you know, kind of ongoing stereotype about like they had a wife at home while they were on the road, kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then kids in every city.
Speaker 3: I write exactly one for every port, and so when I find so, then you know. And then the cruel reality caught up with me that I was leaving at night and there was no wind down for me. That's when I had to wind up. And I was like, there's gotta be other people with unusual jobs unusual hours. Who are parents? Like, come on, now, we all have unusual jobs and unusual hours. And I just felt like I was surrounded by this unbelievable nine to five maybe stay at home parent world, and I was like, where are my people? And then the humor. I felt like at the time, a lot of the parenting humor that was specifically coming at moms was a little like what I call wine in the sippy cup humor, which is great, I see the marriagrefold. It was just like it was like a little like we're drunk on shir Toay and we're moms because of there's laundry and there's and it just I didn't relate to it. And I was like, where's the others stuff, where's the stuff that doesn't feel so basic to me? I'm just going to say it. I felt it was basic and I didn't. I was not a shardon a mom. And if you are a shared name mom, power to you. I love you. Just was me. Yeah, I found the.
Speaker 2: Whole that the thing that was not being talked, done or showcased.
Speaker 1: Yes, So it was that whole situation.
Speaker 3: I was like, I want to talk to other stand ups or people working creative fields that have kids that you know, creative fields require so much time and effort and focus, and so does parenting. So I was like, I want to talk about people that are trying to shove these things together to the best of their ability.
Speaker 2: I think that's amazing. And speaking of keeping yourself busy and parenting and all that, hosting a weekly podcast is a serious coming on.
Speaker 3: It's a grind, my friend. I don't mind doing it, but it is a grind.
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: How do you keep it feeling fresh and and of course most importantly honest.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's so I literally have to work at that all the time because it can feel a little daunting. Luckily, you know, it's it's guest driven, much like what you're doing. So I bring on different people and we talk and that energizes me, right because everyone has cool and different takes on stuff, and I do like, I do love that. I do love talking to people. So then you know, when they tell a story it reminds you of something. You're like, oh, I haven't thought about that for a long time. I should totally talk about that, but no, it is let me practice.
Speaker 2: How many times do you find when you're when you're talking with people on your podcast that you you have, oh, my, same thing, same thing, but you don't want to go down too far down the road, but you just really are driving so much like how do you stay back on that?
Speaker 3: It's the worst. It's the worst because honestly, I just taped an episode earlier today with someone who is a comedian but they're also a scientist and they are working in robotics and AI, and I just I have a thousand million questions about that. Yeah, you know, you can only do so much. And I think that that's probably what makes it good. You know, that's probably what makes it good if you're just like, again, here's the finish line, is there more? Yes? Because you know what, I do not like going to listen personally. I don't like going to listen to a podcast and see that it is an hour forty five. I'm like, who has this time? Who has this time?
Speaker 1: No one? All right? Speaking of which, another question.
Speaker 2: Leaving a Mark just finished the European to see did comedy translate when you were out in Europe doing the Leading a Mark tour? So were there moments that landed differently than you expected with an international audience?
Speaker 3: So totally So one part of there's a part in that show that I love doing, which is an It is audience interaction. So I set up a bunch of my stories and some of them are funny, and we're veering towards like some of the stuff that's a little bit more heavy. But right before I do that, I go, all right, now you know a little bit about my stuff. I want to hear about your scars. I do a scar competition with the audience where I ask people to throw their hand in the air, tell me where their scar is, how it happened, a couple senses, and there are prizes and wow, of course it's cool. Yeah, it's really fun. And I've had people say the most unbelievable things like bone chilling, hilarious, everything in between, and really just it's a celebration too, of like we have all been through so much and we're still just going It's wild. So American audiences, are you kidding? Sometimes I'm like, all right, this show will last nine hours if I don't cut this down. Because there's a million hands in the air. Everyone wants to tell their story. Sometimes I have to wrap people up for them. I'm like, all right, get to the ending. But I was with the European audiences. The audience interaction of like that. It can feel different in some places, especially like Holland for example, where they kind of like they're not used to that they and they think it's a little little more serious much or just like a little bit like I'm not part of this. You do this really? Yeah, And even the idea of you talking with such vulnerable memoir is a little newer to them. From the cultural's perspective, it could even feel like why are you airing your dirty laundry? This is why would you talk about this?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: So I ended up quickly. I would come out before the show and I would give them a little peptoc and I'd be like, hey, everybody, here's what the show is. This is funny, but it's also sad and it's storytelling, so there's a narrative arc and I'm going to run you through my story and it's about scars, but you're a huge part of it, and there's gonna be an audience interaction and you are going to participate. I'm going to ask you about your scars, So start thinking about that right now, because I need It's a huge part of the show. And I made fun about Americans. I were also self upset, and we talk about and how much they are better. But I need them and if they don't participate, I will make them. And then I was like, and now let's do the show, and then I would do the show. They're all like, huh, but it was, it was, it was so it was, it bore fruit. I was so glad that I did it.
Speaker 1: So you have to do a pre I did a preamble to the show. Yes, wow, because it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I learned quickly. It was like everyone wants instructions. They just want to know what to do, and they don't know what to do. They want to know it's okay to laugh, Yeah, they want to look laugh. They want to know it's real. Like they're like, why is the fourth wall disappearing, bring it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said, especially in other countries that where it's not so normal to talk about personal things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not, it's not as yeah, not as common.
Speaker 2: Very you know, stoic, stoa, just stoic, and a lot of the.
Speaker 3: Entertainment, even if it has some memore, it will be more absurdist. Like it's just there's just a lot of different a whole different world of comedy going out out there, which is great. So yeah, I had to I had to tell them what I expected.
Speaker 2: I think that's amazing. I mean, even though you just had the hutzba. Yeah, sorry, I haven't used that word in a while.
Speaker 1: I had to get it. But to be able to do that, that takes a lot of you know, it.
Speaker 3: Felt pretty wild coming out, just very stark, and people just stared at me with that stare of what is going on, which was unnerving, but it just it worked. And people who were Americans, there were some expats and I don't think we'll use that word anymore, so forgive me, but would there'd be other Americans Canadians that would come to the show because obviously English speaking, and they would say to me afterwards pointly that was such a good idea that you did that, And I was like, oh my god, Okay, yeah, I'm doing it because here it would feel cheesy. I would be like kind of embarrassed, honestly.
Speaker 2: But you want to know what's embarrassing when you said ex pats, Like, for the longest time, I thought they were Patriots plays because I'm from Boston, and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of Patriots.
Speaker 3: That's not that. They really just move everywhere, don't They had no idea?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, ohfiir.
Speaker 2: I have just a few more questions for you, because of course I really don't want to be that epitome of what you which is.
Speaker 1: An hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants that.
Speaker 1: But this is really cool.
Speaker 2: Your memoir has been optioned for television, and correct me if I'm wrong. The memoir came out in what like twenty thirteen, that's right. So this is something like a full circle situation. What's that journey been like? And does the idea it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Your own life being series like on TV? Is that funny? Surreal? Is it terrifying?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's a long shot, as I've been told with every television project. So I don't put much stock in it, but I love, I love thinking about it, and you know, there's a process and who knows, and actually it's been optioned, like the option has been reapped. So it was optioned and that's for a limited amount of time, and then they decide. Sometimes they're just dropped, and sometimes they're re up it because for whatever reason they didn't get.
Speaker 1: Around to it.
Speaker 3: What you know, So I will never I'm too far into this business to ever like put a put a dollar on that bet. But yeah, I love the idea of it, and I also know you have to you know, you have to just give up all preconceived notions because depending on what it is, it could look very different than the product I started with, uh you know, and maybe or maybe it would look a lot the same same. I mean, I would be I would be. I love the idea just from an efficiency point of view, that one product could serve many like that you could do a book that could also be a show that could all Yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Why not, I mean it's sort of like your library. Yes, that would be that's and if it's it's evergreen because the same happens to us over and over.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so funny because it is a book about dating and relationships, and when I was doing it, I was not heavily just because of the timing. I was not heavily evolved in the online world of dating, because it just I made it just felt like a little There was some of it, but just felt like it was a different time. And the fact that it doesn't matter because it's not so much about how you met them, it's what happened after.
Speaker 1: What do you mean.
Speaker 2: For someone out there right now who I don't want to say it is like going through something hard hard. It means different things for different people. But you know, based on the things that we touched on, you know, there's all kinds of things that could be going wrong in someone's life, and most of the time there is stuff going on with everybody. We tend to forget that because we don't talk enough about all the similarities. I agree, Where can they find the funny in it? What advice would you tell them? Okay, can they find well? I think you know, you've got to give it time. Don't expect to feel the funny right away. And anyone that tells you you should you tell.
Speaker 3: Them to go screw themselves. Okay, anyone that's like, well, you know, why don't you see the bright side? If anyone ever says to you, well, it could have been worse, you were allowed to punch that person in the face. If anyone says to you it all happens for a reason and that doesn't resonate with you again, you are allowed to swear at them. I'm just saying you're allowed. But I'll tell you what I like. And this is just real because with all of these like kind of things people say, and I know why they say them is because we don't have words. Most people just don't know what to say, so they go with the general platitudes. But what I like to think is that when you're going through a tough time and you don't know how to see it in a way that makes sense in your life, or see in a way that you know has any sort of levity, please remember that there is a little sign at the Vancouver Airport in between arrivals and the place where you get the bags that is not supposed to mean anything other than directions, but you can take it a different way and it just reads please keep moving forward. That's all you have to do and then the funny will come.
Speaker 2: Wow, that really is pretty magical and so true and let's not make it. And one of the other things that you said that you could punch someone in the face for it, like if that becomes so common that that you're even like, eh, don't tell anyone that anymore.
Speaker 1: You gotta come up with something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I really I love I don't. I have no problem with the therapy, but sometimes just look, just look on one step forward, just one step forward, because that's what you start going, Oh, this is hilarious that I have to keep moving forward? Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: And then you mean I I can't look I can and that just dwell and the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, wow, very very powerful advice. Her name is Opia Eisenberg, if I haven't mentioned it, because we've been on this podcast for about forty five minutes now, and I want to see your name a lot because I.
Speaker 1: Would love people to go see you.
Speaker 2: Her podcast is called Parenting is a Joke on iHeart in the Family, which I love and everywhere you get your podcasts, and her comedy special is I Used to Be Nicer. It's such an can we go, I know, can is there merch with.
Speaker 1: I have to sell a tech.
Speaker 3: I am going to make it. Okay, sure you know you said it, your second person to say it. I'm like, you know what, I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you, and no problem.
Speaker 3: Just ten percent okay all I want? You got it?
Speaker 1: I split it with the person who told you before.
Speaker 3: Five.
Speaker 2: Oh, Pier Eisenberg, thanks for coming on Comedy Save Me and sharing your stage words of wisdom and all of your stories and and just for making us laugh and telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Oh my goodness, you're so awesome.
Speaker 3: You are a joy to talk to that I'm coming to you next time I'm in a tough spot because you're the best.
Speaker 1: I'm buzz night.
Speaker 3: And thanks for listening to Comedy Save Me with Lynn Hoffman, and do check out our other.
Speaker 4: Podcast, Lynn Hoffman's Music Save Me Podcast.
Speaker 3: Also Sarah Harrelson and Taking a Walk Nashville and Don't Forget also about Taking a Walk hosted by Yours Truly. All shows are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and are part of the iHeart podcast network