Speaker 1: All right, hey, hey, hey guys, and we're busy. How's your weekend?
Speaker 2: Oh, weekend was good. Actually, I finally, after like five years of saying I wanted to go see Book of Mormon, I finally went to go see Book of Mormon. Okay, that show. Have you ever seen it before?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not really it's a Broadway show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, anything not Disney. It's not really my style.
Speaker 2: No, this is like Okay, first of all, it's a musical. It's hilarious. It was created and written by the creators of South Park, so it's raunchy, like raunchy, af do not bring your parents. We were sitting wait, I got really good seeds. And first of all, it's taken me so long because five years ago, Book of Mormon was the Hamilton Broadway where you could not get tickets, and I five years ago was earning like way less than I am now, so I could never afford to get tickets. There were four hundred dollars. But I feel like I have to say thank you to Hamilton because now that Hamilton's out and Book of Mormon is not that popular anymore, tickets are actually not bad and we were able to go, but yeah, it's hilarious. And we were sitting next to the whole premise of it is about Mormon missionaries who are sent to Uganda and had the task of saving or baptizing this Ugandan village, and just hilarity ensues, and like it is not if you, you know, if anything Larry Wilmore said in his White House correspondence to Inner Speech offended you, then you don't want to see Book of Mormon. But it was it was like just like just fun. And we were sitting next to these two old dudes. There's this older couple right next to us, and it was really cute seeing them. Like are we allowed to laugh at that? It's like, yes, you can to joke about the devil and me like, yeah, okay, that was some fun. And you know, that's a nice way to spend a Sunday. It was nasty yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, which is so random because Saturday it was so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I frolicked. I was a little bit. I had a girls night Friday and I had, you know, a couple of margaritas and I don't really drink that much, and so I was not feeling one hundred on Saturday, but I forced myself to leave the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saturday really nice. I spent like most of my day outside. I was doing some taping of testimonials for the Budget Nista. So we were in the Bronx. We taped in New Brunswick, we taped in with Stars, we taped in Newark. We're just like all over in New York, New Jersey. And it actually was fun because it's so crazy to see people living at different walks of life, like in their actual environment, and it's just interesting to come into their space and to kind of just feel their energy in their space. It was really nice.
Speaker 3: Actually, that was cool.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna get the Budget Nista mobile? I know, right, like a giant like mad I'm not the big giant placard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, then I'll never get any peace. I already go to the supermarket like in my town, in my city because everybody knows what I do in my city, and I can't even squeeze the tomatoes without someone being like quick question right, bunch anisa credit, which actually I don't mind. I kind of like that because it's like, you know, normally this is someone who might not otherwise care about their credit, and now here they are asking me about it in shopright.
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, you should host your own little like show a shop right, I know.
Speaker 3: At the tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Conversations and the produce Atyle.
Speaker 1: So some Morca news a Missy Copeland and this barbie.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love it. I saw that. I just saw it on GMA. I posted it. I think it's awesome. I kind of want to go back and redo my childhood now.
Speaker 3: I know, right, like I could get it.
Speaker 1: You know, what I love about the barbie is that it's like clearly more muscular and like built like her you.
Speaker 2: Know calves though those calves. Yes, I heard I read that she was really involved. I'm sure she was like doing modeling for them, like no, this is what my cap looks like, you know.
Speaker 1: And even on GMA was cute because Ramin from GMA, who was interviewing her, was telling like the people like, you know, Missy was actually making sure that the barbie was in like the right position before like I guess dight before they cut to commercial to show the barbie. I thought that was so cute. She was like, no, this is not how a ballerina stands. It has to look like right.
Speaker 2: She would know exactly I feel like. I mean, I I always could get the one brown barbie because they had a brown Barbie and a black Barbie when I was little. I don't know how long they've been around, but I always went for, like, you know, the racially ambiguous one like I was. But she didn't like have a kick ass career. She wasn't an athlete or a director.
Speaker 1: She was like a mermaid, racially ambiguous mermaid Barbie.
Speaker 3: That's awthful.
Speaker 2: Oh man. So one other headline I wanted to talk about this, which you know, one of my really close co workers had a baby about a year ago now, and I alway I wanted to get her opinion on this, and she, like so many other moms, were super pissed off. There's this woman who wrote a novel called Me Maternity, which is like maternity leave but for single women with or not single women women without children. And this writer she well, she has the novel coming out, which is a fictionalized story, but it was based on her own experience working in New York in her early thirties, and she was jealous of the moms and dads in the office who got to call out when they had to go pick up their son at six pm, you know, or leave the office because the kid was sick. She said, you know, it wasn't as it wasn't as kosher if I were to say, oh, my best friend just got you know, ghosted by her Okay Cupid date and she needs a margarita and that girl she felt like she felt like people without kids deserve some eternity, which rightfully just like blew up. I mean, the New York posted a whole interview with her. I do not know why this woman put herself on that. Why would you do that? It was just like some.
Speaker 1: People do anything for fame, because she had to know that that's the stupidest thing you've ever heard, Like maternity to leave is not a vacation. Like I babysit my nephew Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was so agreed, I so agreed. I was choking.
Speaker 1: So I babysitd my nephew on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings from like seven to like ten thirty. And it is like I'm exhausted afterwards, Like literally I spend the hour after he leaves and I take a nap because my sister was on maternity leave for a while and decided she had to go back to work, you know, to help support the family.
Speaker 3: That I she had a baby. It was hard for her to leave.
Speaker 1: But her mother in law babysits him mostly when they're gone, but her mother in law can't on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings. And she asked if I would, and I was like, sure, easy, peasy. What From the moment I walk in, Roman that's his name, is like seven months, He's like, hey, Auntie, So what.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna do is any work.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna go to the bathroom because as soon as you put me down, I'm going to scream bloody murder. You're not gonna know why I'm crying. If I need to poop, if I need to pee, if I need to eat, if I just want to play, if I don't want to play, if I want you to.
Speaker 3: Leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is so much work. I can't even imagine twenty four to seven with the baby. What I mean, Yeah, and I'm single and I don't have any kids, so yeah, having me time is not the same thing as having having to come home and take care of a kid. It is egg exhausting and just the fact that I mean, it's just so selfish and so like, is she a millennial? Sorry millennials, she's thirty eight.
Speaker 2: She's like just she's like jen X. Sorry, she's yeah, you can claim you can have her.
Speaker 3: We don't want her like I want to. I want to draft her, get drafted in the age draft.
Speaker 2: Listen. This is the part of her whole, her whole thesis that drives me nuts, she says. As I watch my friends take their real maternity leaves, I saw that spending three months detached from their dusts made them much more sure of themselves. One friend made the decision to leave her corporate care weird to create her own business. From the outside look like it looked like those few weeks of them shifting their focus to something other than their jobs gave them a whole new lens through which to see their lives. You mean, the lens where if you don't work and feed your kids, they will die, like.
Speaker 1: And if you want to break, that's what vacation is for. Save your vacations on time, and you know, take three weeks off.
Speaker 2: If you all have kids, you have maternity time, maternity time all the time.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's called coming home, fool.
Speaker 2: Coming home and doing whatever the hell you want to do. I am enjoying thirty almost thirty years of maternity time myself, and this is just bogus. Did you And also what's funny is she was supposed to go on GMA and she bailed. Really yeah, she toly let them hanging, like I guess right up before the segment was supposed to air, because she probably got in the building and you know two GMA's audiences.
Speaker 1: Right, women who have kids, women who.
Speaker 2: Are yes, either have kids or you know, their home at eight nine am watching this, so they were ready with their pitchforks, I'm sure, and she just like went into the building and walked right out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, you know what, actually, I'm not getting paid enough for this. But that was dumb.
Speaker 1: You had to know that that was gonna happen, because I justay, no.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say. In the concept, she talks about people who have three months time off, Well that's not the norm. America is one of the only developed nations that does not guarantee paid family leave time. You might get eight weeks twelve weeks off, but you're not going to get paid for it. If you are, you may even get paid half what you were getting paid at a normal time. So it's just it's just bs, and it's from someone who clearly does not understand the way that maternity leave works.
Speaker 1: I'm like, does she not know anybody with children? Like anybody ever? Like if you've just been around someone who's had a baby, you just see just how struck. I remember within the first three months, I always would visit my sister and I'd be like, uh, are you okay.
Speaker 2: Because she looks like, hell, you're a human boob.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Literally, She's just like I just sit here and take my shirt. I mean, like I have never my adult life seeing my sister's boobs. But like, once you get to a point, she's like, I don't even care anymore. Just stand right there. I have to get the baby. It wasnt exactly and it's just literally she just looked exhausted. I was like, do you want me to do your hair? She's like hair, what's that? And it's just so tiring. So and three months is not really enough time to get a baby acclimated to the fact that they're not no longer in tide of wone. They're still like, wait, so where am I at? And who are you again? Your voice sounds familiar, but I don't know who you are. And it's just very, very, very stressful. It's just now, like when I was babysitting and I was telling her, oh man, I'm so exhausted, She's like exhausted.
Speaker 3: She was like, he's darn near independent. He's darn near an adult.
Speaker 1: Now she's like when he was three months, two months, She's liked.
Speaker 3: This is the easy part. Seven months is nothing.
Speaker 2: And here's one thing I've learned working with, you know, working like side by side to someone who just had a baby, Like you do not want to complain about how tired you are or how exhausting your weekend was, Like you just you can't complain anymore. I look at her and I'm like, yeah, I really am going to shut up and take a seat now, because that's that's a real struggle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said in the beginning, you know, as the kids get older, it definitely gets a little bit easier. But I just can't believe she wrote that. I mean, I think she just wanted to be polarizing on purpose and did not quite realize how polarizing she was going to be and how much she was going to be dragged.
Speaker 3: But here we are.
Speaker 2: There's one other thing I'll say on this is that, you know, she talks about the concept of how it's so easy for parents to just say, oh, I have to leave my I have to leave at six, you know, on the dot, because you know, little Joey needs soccer practice or whatever. But in my experience, the parents that I work with, they don't. They feel almost less like they should be able to, like, less likely to say that kind of stuff because they fear being looked at, as you know, of not valuing or prioritizing their work, and they try and do it all. And I think it's even easier. And this is experience I've had just watching, you know, over several employers, is that sometimes the men you have kids are more likely to be like, oh sorry, I'm running late, or oh sorry, I have to leave early. Then the women I work with, I can't think of a you know, one time my coworkers like called out or said she's going to be late for you know, her kids spit up on her or whatever. But I can think of a couple dudes who have sent that inter office email. Yeah, and there's just that extra pressure I think to try and you know, act like to cut it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and it's just so crazy because you're right though, Like my best friend just had a baby. He's just turned one, and well not just had a baby, but she, you know, she's always stressed when he was sick for rock, because he's teething and all of a sudden, you're teething, all these things go wrong. There's like stomach issues, there's fever, and so he's been sick. And she does have a daycare center where she drops them off, but they were like, you can't bring a sick baby to daycare, just can't. So she's just so stressed, like what are we going to do? Like I have to go to work, I have you know, I don't want to be the person who's like not at work for a week because my baby's teething.
Speaker 3: What do we do?
Speaker 1: What do we do? And I'm just watching like, wow, that's really hard. My nephew was in the hospital because his feet had gotten really high.
Speaker 3: They didn't get home.
Speaker 1: Until like five, six o'clock in the morning on a Monday. She texts her boss like, I'll be there at ten.
Speaker 3: You know, just got back from the hospital.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine, like what like if I just got back from the hospital, There's no way I'm going into work. But she's feeling like, oh my gosh, I just got back to work. I don't want to not come in, and thankfully she got. She had a great boss and he was like, are you crazy, Like your baby just came home from the hospital, like stay home, It's okay, yeah, you know, and so yeah, yeah think I mean, but not every boss is like that. Some bosses would be like, well, we'll see you at ten. So, yeah, this is not well. I'll be interested to see how this kind of like blows out.
Speaker 2: I hope her both bombs.
Speaker 1: I know, well, it'll probably do well, just because you know, people want to read it just so they can drag her.
Speaker 2: It's about a woman who fakes a pregnancy so she can take maternity leaves. That's what it's about. So I already hate her.
Speaker 1: So this is a little random, but I thought you might be interested. Your hometown of atl has the first annual mac and Cheese Festival.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of this? What?
Speaker 1: I know? October eighth, get on it. It's like supposed to be the biggest mac and cheese festival in the nation. It came across my fee because one of my friends is like such a FOODI he like travels the country looking for food and so yeah, I was like, ooh, a mac and cheese festival. They actually have a website atl Mac and Cheese Festival dot com, and I was like, ooh, I love mac and cheese.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm lactose intolerant. I got really crampyge just thinking about that idea.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so crazy because so many people of color a lactose in tolerance.
Speaker 3: I'm like, really, in Atlanta, you want to do this? Are you sure that's going.
Speaker 2: To be the stinkiest skeep festival? You better take your lactape.
Speaker 1: We have to take lackad as soon as it's like as you enter, you pay your ticket and you get a lactate pip.
Speaker 2: You'd better be a fart zone, like a tent where you can just go and just like past gas and peace. I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never grew up drinking milk. I always hated it from like a young young age. I remember being in daycare like a like KinderCare or whatever. When I was three or four and I was forced to drink milk and I refused, and I instead of drinking milk, they put me in time out or they would force me to eat this like tomato soup with like bits of onion in it or something, And it was so bad that I never drank milk all through my childhood. I always ate cereal cold like without anything in it. And now whenever I like, I could eat cheese and stuff. But recently, whenever I put a piece of cheese anywhere near my vicinity, I just get sick immediately. I don't know what it is. I think my dad's the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cheese, I mean I can have some cheeses, like you know, I can have mozzarella. American cheese is a big no no yellow American cheese. It's a big, huge no no. I just drink like almond milk. I mean, what's Superman still drinks home milk. I'm like, what are you, like five years old who still drinks whole milk?
Speaker 3: I know, I'm like, homework is like literally like cream. I'm like, oh so.
Speaker 2: Thick discovering unsweetened almond breeze that was like my life changing. Yes me too, cereal with milk.
Speaker 3: Yes, I like the vanilla one, right, you get the vanilla.
Speaker 2: I get the vanilla unsweetened. That sweet and stuff's nasty.
Speaker 1: I didn't mind the sweet and stuff, but I was like, it's too much sugar, titty, way too much sugar. Yeah, so I have on sweetened too. And then if I need, like if I'm having cereal that I feel like needs a little something, I'll put honey and like a little squeeze of honey.
Speaker 2: And I will just last thing like in the like in February, I did this. I gave up. I was doing like a lemonation diet where you're trying to see what food's upset you, and then clearly I found out mine was dairy. But like when I cut out completely all the dairy and not just like I would have a little bit of coffee sometimes a little bit of milk in my coffee sometimes if there's no almond milk, or I'd have a little bit. I'd always have cheese, you know, my burger and pizza and stuff. I cut out completely all that dairy, yogurt, nothing, and my skin has never looked as good really in my life. Yeah I heard that, but I thought that was another like BS beauty trend. And I don't know if it works for everybody, but I'm so happy. Yeah, I don't like break out and not just said it, don't break out, but even the people here who do makeup for us, they've been commenting and you know they.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do.
Speaker 1: They tell the truth. No, Oh, I gotta try that because lately, I don't know, I've been breaking out, Like I've never been to someone to break out a lot, but I've been. I've broken down the last week like crazy, not just my Facebook, like my chest, my back a little bit. I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I know I'm thinking like did I change? I?
Speaker 1: Am I eating something new? I feel like I'm having an allergic reaction. I mean, it doesn't look like it's crazy because when I take pictures, like you can't really see it because they're not like thiscolored.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, what are all these little bumps and lumps.
Speaker 1: You know now that I'm bringing I feel like a teenager. So maybe I'll try that. Maybe because I know Dairy and I are really not friends, but sometimes you know, we try to be acquaintances, so maybe it's time to move on.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a bachelor's of Arts and journalism, so definitely take my advice on healthcare in dermatology.
Speaker 1: So sidebar, like right before we get into like some brown breaking in brown a boosting.
Speaker 3: So Malia's going to Harvard. Woot.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say that.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised either. What I think is really cool. She's taken a gap year.
Speaker 3: I really she's gonna take a year off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a year off, which I didn't do until after I graduated college. I took a gap year after my senior year of college, which was the best thing ever. Not a full year, but it was like nine months. I love that idea. I'm actually writing something up on it for Yahoo today about like, yeah, what is a gap year? How do you do it the right way? And it's sort of a new concept in America, but people in Europe and Australia have been doing it forever.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think that's great. Just sometimes you just need to like senate yourself.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good idea because I'm sure it's because you know, the whole world would of your father being president. It's like, yeah, it'd be nice to take a break from all that.
Speaker 2: Well has already been interning on like if she's taken her summer internships with like HBO on The Girls Show, and there's one of the show she worked on. I think it could be cool. I mean with you could because I didn't realize you can for up to a year. You can defer your freshman year of college. So you get the idea is you get admitted, you accept, and then you write a letter or some schools are organized and they actually have a specific form and you defer for a year and you say, okay, I'll you know, enter next fall, and like you can do there's like whole organizations. There's a there's a group called the American Gap Association which has they actually review in a credit different gap year programs. There's internship programs. There's volunteering ones where you go to different countries, or there's a lot of like in like American based domestic ones. You can do AmeriCorps. There's another one called oh crap, I'm forgetting the name of it, but American Gap Association is like a really good resource for that. But it's not like a like time for you to like hang out on the couch and catch up on your real housewives. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't see Malia doing all that.
Speaker 2: Do you think Michelle would allow that?
Speaker 1: I know, Miselle's like, what that's all we've been through?
Speaker 3: Are you better get up? Let's move.
Speaker 2: Oh let's see what you did there. Congrats Malia.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then congratitude one last one. Congratitude to the national the Detroit girls chess team. They won like a national championship. I thought that was dope.
Speaker 2: Oh that could have been a win. Okay, Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: One of these are supposed to be my win.
Speaker 2: Darn it wasted your way?
Speaker 3: What am I.
Speaker 1: Gonna do now?
Speaker 3: Okay, that was supposed to be my win. I was wondering. I'm like, why is it separate?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: All right. So it is time for a brown break or brown boost? So are you breaking or boosting?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a boost boost today because I'm super proud of my online shopping skills and I don't think i've ever I mean, you probably have heard of these, but I don't think i've ever shared my favorite three tools I use when I save money online and I was just stocking up on some really cute summer dresses and I was super proud of myself. I found like a twenty percent off coupon. But I didn't have to even do anything because I have my web browser set up with these things called extensions, and you install them and they just like pop up and they tell you exactly what deals you have going on. So there's two main ones that I use that I love. One of course is e baits, which pops up immediately and it says activate, you know, and it always tells you there's no you used to have to like go to e baits dot com and type in the place to see if there is a cash back thing. But if you install the extension just Google like Ebates browser extension for whatever browser you have, then it just pops up whenever you go to website whre Tho's cash back and you hit the button and you activated. And the second one I use is called price Blink, and price Blink is like a little yellow bar that pops up and it tells you what coupons are available, but like not just what coupons are available. What I like is I don't really buy gadgets a lot, but when I do, if you have the price Blink attachment or extension installed, it'll tell you, oh, you want this HGTV. Well, I found it for this much less at best buy dot com, Amazon dot com, Hhgreg, like all the different websites. So this saved me like fifty bucks when I was trying to get back. It totally works. Like when my sister and I were buying my MoMA one of those Ninja blender thingies for Christmas, okay, and I was on like I don't know, Target dot com somewhere because I had a coupon, and it alerted me that the same exact blender was on sale for like fifty dollars less at some random website I'd never really heard of. Like it was like, that's the one where you I'm forgetting now, but it ended up being it was like a home goods website that I hadn't heard of before, and I never would have known if not for price Blink.
Speaker 1: So oh price, I'm gonna get that one because I use honey that you put me onto. Honey, Yeah, of course e baits, but price Blink.
Speaker 3: That's a new one. Ooh, nice one.
Speaker 2: Honey, is a little one I like, and I use that too, especially if I'm on a site like Sephora where there's tons and does of coupons, because Honey will when you're ready to check out Honey, you can click the Honey button and it will pull up all the promo car codes it has for that website, and it'll just try them for you. But what I found with Honey is sometimes if there's multiple promo codes and one of them works, it'll keep trying them and then that one will disappear, and then another one will get added. And it's kind of not as like I think price blank is a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna try price blank for sure. Like literally, I'm gonna hang up and be like, because I have e baits online and I do have Honey.
Speaker 3: Of course I like retail me not. But you can never save enough.
Speaker 2: Never, Yeah, and there's no I mean sometimes I'll double check retail me not. But really with price blank and ebaits and ebaits now too is adding they I think to compete. They started doing coupons too. If you click on the little ebaits button once you have the extension installed, you'll have a little button that has an E and when you click on that, it'll also give you the deals in store. Like I'm on Lulu's one of my favorite upside to luluse dot com right now, and it's like two point five percent cash back, and then I click down on ebates and it's like free shipping over fifty dollars, thirty percent off on this type of outfit, on these shoes, et cetera, et cetera. Okay, so pro tips.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna take a brown break again this week, and I'm taking a brown break from my locks. I'm so tired of him. So, I mean, they're really.
Speaker 2: How do you take a break from those?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just taking a break from thinking about it because I'm not really a girly girl, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Really know how to style them.
Speaker 1: And they're so long now, Mandy, they're like mid back way to you see me, they're mid back, and I'm like, oh my gosh, Like I don't know what to do with them. I feel like, you know, there's like long hair and then there's like freakishly long hair. I'm borderline freakishly. We were like, oh, what religious sect are you from?
Speaker 3: Longness.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, they've gotten so long and I don't know what to do with them. So any of you are listening and you are like really stylish with your locks, have a great YouTube channel or something like that, definitely tweet me, tweet us at the BA podcast or tweet me at the budget me stuff. Because I'm side of these locks. I just always put them in like a messy bun or like that's about it.
Speaker 2: I would suggest Pinterest. Pinterest. I've been pinning like all my natural hairstyles. I've been like going to Pinterest and just listening for a dinner. But do you and also do you follow the Cipriana twins.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, but no, but I don't. Their locks are not like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I know they're much different. But I was just saying locks are beautiful.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean I think so, honestly, I think, and honestly mine are. Really they're beautiful, they're well kept. It's just that I'm so I don't know how to style them. So I always feel like it's such all this wasted beauty because they're really long, they're clean, they're slim, they're all the same size, and you know, everywhere every time I go somewhere, someone will say, oh, your locks are so nice. But I'm like, I wish I see these women and their hair is so beautifully styled, and here I am with the ponytail like I'm five.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I need help.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, I finally have big girl underwear, I need big girl hair.
Speaker 2: YouTube and Pinterest, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pinterest is hard because I need someone to step by step to show me, like with a twist and turn, and I just there's to me, there's a thin line in overly styled blocks. I don't like for myself anyway, Like overly style where it's like a twist and a curl and a curl and a twist and a turn. I like more classically styled. So yeah, So if anybody has any suggestions, because until then, I'm taking a break from these things, I'm tired of them kind of looking like my same old self.
Speaker 2: How to take a break from something attached to your head?
Speaker 1: Ah, well, if a break from trying to style.
Speaker 2: Them it least would you ever cut them?
Speaker 3: I would?
Speaker 1: And actually I was considering getting them layered, like maybe taking a few inches off the bottom and then like layering the front so that way when I do wear them out, they look styled. That's like I'm like the queen of how do I look like I did them but didn't do them? And so I was thinking that and I think that I might do that this week. Actually, Like a friend of mine cuts flocks and she said she do that from me. But I'm nervous because I'm like, what if he looks crazy new hair?
Speaker 2: Knew you, I know, just ask her for referrals.
Speaker 1: No, well, I've seen her, like, you know, like her what she's done before. But I'm like, what if I just don't like it on me? But I'm like, it's heyre it'll grow.
Speaker 2: Back, it will grow back.
Speaker 3: So we had a question this week, don't we.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have a question, And if you guys want to send a question, you can email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. W fa HAA, Okay, here's a question this week from anonymous. So here's a little background, and this one's an interesting question. I wish I had this problem. She says. I'm twenty three years old, living in New York City with a full time job. I graduated in twenty fifteen with no debts or loans due to a full ride scholarship I received during my time in undergrad. My mother passed away and because of that, I received a significant inheritance. It's divided among savings and investment accounts and some real estate. So here's your question. I'm planning to get my MBA part time in twenty seventeen. Should I use money for my inheritance to pay for school in full? Or should I consider other methods such as my own income which wouldn't be much, loans, credit cards, et cetera, to pay for school. Should I not pay such a large chunk of money outright? She also adds this MBA scholarships are hard to come by, especially for part time students. Well, I'm very sorry about your mom passing away.
Speaker 3: Yes I am as well.
Speaker 2: But how nice that she was able to give you something for you know, your future.
Speaker 3: No, that is that's like, it's a beautiful gift that she gave you. So that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And then the fact that you don't have any debt moving forward is doubly awesome.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Well, my initial knee jerk reaction is to say not to use credit cards to put yourself through school I feel like that'd be a step back, you know, totally.
Speaker 3: And I mean I can.
Speaker 1: Understand her hesitancy and like using a lump sum of money for school, but it's to me, it's better than putting yourself back in debt. I feel like she needs to sit down and just like, are you gonna.
Speaker 3: Sell real estate to go to school?
Speaker 1: You know, like some of it, Like is that what's gonna happen or I just don't know, like what specifically some of her her money is tied up in, and just being mindful of making sure the places that you're going to get the money from is probably the best place to take it from. Meaning like if you have like rental property and it's giving you a ton of money a month, or maybe there's ways to shift and adjust where some of your investments are so that with the investment yields more income and you can use that income like dividends you know, from stocks and stuff to pay for your MBA. Just being creative, like maybe a mix between what you make at work and then you know, some of the stuff that your mom left you, but not all of it, but definitely not new debt if you can avoid it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I definitely. I mean, I am a fan of Okay, so you have this inheritance, and it's obviously education is an amazing way to use it. I mean the fact that you're even considering that is just it shows you have pretty good judgment already. And the fact that your mom went out of her way to make sure you had this in a mix of savings and investment accounts in real estate, like she set you up for success. But I would say, first thing is you want to set aside money so you have an emergency fund, just basics, So don't blow through your entire cash savings on education and then have nothing left when you know something could go wrong and you might need some money. So I would set aside like the standard three six months amount of income you need on the side. And I don't see a problem personally, I don't. I don't think there's any problem with taking that money and using it for school. I think it's especially if you're going to pay use them, like spend the money anyway. All you're going to do, and especially with MBA is like that's usually that means private loans, and private loans me high interest rates because usually you max out your federal and your federal student loan allowance pretty quickly with your MBA. But I say, keep your job, use the inheritance to pay for your MBA. I mean, it's great if it can pay for all of it, but doesn't really give that much detail. It may seem like it's crazy to put that much money down right up front, but people do it. I mean, and and you'd be doing it anyway. If you take out loans, you're still putting down a huge lumps on a cash exactly.
Speaker 3: So you're going to pay for one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I and you have the investment accounts, don't touch those. And you have the real estate in real estate. It's a great long term investment, or it can be. But that's the kind of thing you you know, you want to hold on to, especially if it's New York real estate. Hang on to that exactly, especially right now. But it sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, Wow, that's good.
Speaker 1: I wish. I mean, I feel like my father has I mean, he's still alive, thankfully, and I feel like that he has made financial choices that will make sure that my mom's okay. And we're all grown now, but that he has set up his finances in a way that will be you know, that they'll be something left over to put toward generational wealth, just because that's just the kind of person he is. And that's like some of the stuff that he's shown us. I'm like, wow, you do have money. He's like, yes, what do you think I'd been.
Speaker 3: Doing all the side?
Speaker 2: That is my dream man. When I was talking about I was talking to my coworker earlier about how much he spends on his kids, just childcare. I mean, he showed me a bill. I don't want to put his business out there, but it was several thousand dollars for his like toddler's childcare and he and then he was like, oh yeah, and he has another kid who's in kindergarten. And even that doesn't really help, you know, because they're not it's not that they're paying for all day daycare now. But then I have to pay for after school daycare because school lets out at three and they work till like five or six, and then summertime is coming up. And he was telling me how much summer school costs or not a summer camp costs and I was thinking like, and we were going back and forth, like, yeah, man, when we were kids, our parents didn't have the money or didn't even know about those kinds of opportunities. But I would be so happy to be able to give my kids those kind of like opportunities. Like it sounds like the worst, thousands of dollars for childcare, thousands of dollars for college tuition, but like I feel like that's my goal is to be sure that you know, like your dad, I do all the work, all the hard work now and the and the make the tough decisions, you know, to save money now so that we can can do things like that for our kids later on. The kids I don't even know yet, but you know, and if they're breads, I'll just take it off from myself exactly.
Speaker 1: Like, see, you were gonna have a great life, but you decided now.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But I think that yeah, So I mean I think that's our advice for you is to, you know, do a mix of maybe some of the things that you're working with, Like Mandy said, put aside money for emergency fund. I wouldn't sell real estate, but there's nothing wrong with using some of the money that your mom gave you and left you for education. It's because of education, if done right, will help put more money in your pocket.
Speaker 3: So it's a win win.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's a teeny tiny amount to have some fun. Yes, I believe in that, maybe like five percent. I believe do something your mom. Maybe take a gap year between or take a trip between you know your your uh you're you graduate in twenty fifteen, take a little time and got some new time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's always a good idea. And I don't like I took a while between, did you? When I got my master's I took I don't even know. I think it was like four or five years because I wanted to make sure this is what I wanted to do. I feel like your undergrad degree is a degree that you're just like, I guess, and your master's degree is like, okay, you know what. I'm pretty sure this is how I want to spend like my career.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because you have to be so focused. I don't know, I'm I would love to go back because I'd love to teach one day. Oh really yeah, I always think about that, But I have to have a master's. Like most cases, you have to have a master's yeah, unless you're like, I don't know, Christiane, I'm on poor but of course I'm sure she has like ten degrees. But yeah, and I would go back for that, but not until I'm sure, because.
Speaker 1: It's exactly it's expensive to be unsure with your.
Speaker 2: Masters, and it hasn't hurt me yet. So anyway, all right, Well that wraps up the tips for today. Again, if you don't want to, email us or email us Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com dot com. Where's that from?
Speaker 1: That's like Travelosity, isn't it Media.
Speaker 3: Expedia.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get sued for like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Travels is like really, all this money we spent and you can't even get it right? So it's tad for Winds. All I do is Wayne wa wain No matter what?
Speaker 3: Do you have any wins this week?
Speaker 2: Money? Oh, mama wins this week? Well, yes, I have a win I want. Well, it's a win. I wanted to talk about this during Buzzworthy, but I decided to make it a win because it's like a win and a let's have an educated conversation about this. So Larry Wilmore hosted The White House Correspondence dinner on what was it Saturday night? And first of all, President Obama. I guess the win of this is that President Obama's speech was like the best twenty minutes ever. Did he get a chance to watch it? No, but I will spoiler at the end spoiler alert, he just like takes the mic and drops it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard that, drops mic.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, bad assery from start to finish. So Larry Wilmore came on aut I didn't watch the whole thing as it happened. I watched like Sunday morning, because you can go to c C span dot org or whatever the website is and watch it yourself. But I thought Larry Wilmore it was like really funny, and you know, we haven't had a black host of the White House correspondent cinner and like I don't know how long, but one of the things he said at the end was kind of controversial. Was he used, well, there, I only heard one thing. He made a joke about the word jigaboo, jigaboo, which was like a very old timey derogatory term for a black person.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and at.
Speaker 2: The very end of his speech he was saying, I forget what it was like the punchline of some joke. But he's like, yo, bear, you did it my n word. Yeah, And Obama didn't seem to like phase by it. But of course the media it's all over it, and yes, thought pieces and tweets and like people are it's always like this, you know, and I'm just wondering, is that a win or is that a miss? Like I personally, I don't know. To me, it's like a like maybe they know each other like that, or I don't know, I don't know how to feel about it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so crazy because to me it's it's it's like a typical like you know whatever Superman and his boys, you know, like you like, yeah, my nick you know, and so it's not a but I guess because of like where it was, like I'm president, Obama probably didn't feel any kind of way because with his you know, black friends, college, growing up, whatever, it's a big deal to.
Speaker 3: Say that to each other.
Speaker 1: Like but like it just it's rare in like such open company that you.
Speaker 3: Use words like that.
Speaker 1: You know. There's definitely stuff that I say with my girlfriends that I would not ever say, you know, and like public public we might just say, like, you know, with each other. So that's probably where he wasn't based because it wasn't like He's not going to take a fence. President Obama's like, you know, whatever, what's up? But like, yikes, the whole world is watching, so they're like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so audience, I know, so they were like, oh my god, but I mean awards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just exactly if there had been the BET Awards, nobody would have better than that. So I can see both sides for sure, And I don't know that it's a win or loss. I'm kind of like neutral on it. I'm kind of like, well, you know, it's just normal, you know, black guy camaraderie conversation. But at the same time, I don't know that the world is ready to see all that.
Speaker 2: It's like it just made me think about code switching and how we kind of turn it on and off. Yes, I never grew up saying that word. I'm never comfortable saying it's I don't have a code to switch. I just don't turn that code on. I just don't say it. But I have friends, obviously, friends who do family my dad like, and it's just it's natural for me. To hear that kind of thing. But yeah, it's sort of for me, it's a win in that. Larry was like, I'm not going to turn the switch, like for this moment, Like in this moment, you are my brother, like we and what you signify is so huge for not just black men but all of black you know, America, And can we just take a second and acknowledge how fucking cool this is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, I think you know what it's so I think, like I like that the way you phrase that. You're right, it was like we all cold switch. It's like, honestly, it's not a word that I use typically. I don't think too many, like I mean, none of my girlfriends. It's not like a hey girl, Like that's not a normal greeting, Like it's mostly usually a normal greeting among men of color, not necessarily women of color. So that's not something I normally I wouldn't say unless I was just trying to be really funny with a girlfriend of mine, you know, or even if I'm talking to a guy friend maybe to be funny with him. But but yeah, it was that is definitely like kind of like a win in that, like you know it. Normally I would code switch, but today I will not, and you will deal.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's listening to sleep over it, honestly.
Speaker 3: I think both of them.
Speaker 1: President Obama's like, honestly, yeah, so elections are happening in November.
Speaker 2: I don't care. It's been like rever, you know, the Rev. Al Sharpton is speaking out about it, and I'm just like, yeah, I doubt Larry is worried exactly at all. So I'm going to make it a win, A win for you, Larry, a win for Obama. It was his last White House correspondence dinner. He gave it hilarious speech, so I go check it out. Like President, whoever wins the next leg election is not going to have a swag like swag like Obama. He just they just won't like Hillary whoever. It just it's never going to be the same. Like I'm going to miss him. I miss him already.
Speaker 3: I know that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh eight years he was the first president I ever voted for?
Speaker 1: Real?
Speaker 3: Is that really? Wow?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think who was the first person I ever voted for it, and it's Clinton.
Speaker 3: I think Clinton.
Speaker 1: Let's sae my wind so my wind was supposed to be the Detroit Girls, and I totally forgot to put w byer.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't like go into detail if you want to talk about it exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't exactly have exact detail. I was just like, oh, I just thought it was so great because you know, so many things. Detroit just holds like a little deer place in my heart for me, because it's like Newark, you know, where I live, and everyone always has something to say about Detroit. Everyone always has something negatives to say about Newark or Oakland or you know, places like that that people have written off as like lost cities or like cities that can never come back. And so when something like this happens, and chess is not traditionally seen as something that people of African American descent excel at, and so to see these group of brown, beautiful girls win, you know, the national championship for chess nationally, and so that just really warmed our heart to say, you know, like Detroit, it's not just the water issue. Detroit is not just a broken city. You know, Detroit has things. You know, I always think whenever people talk about cities like that, I'm like, someone's living there, you know. It's not like it's like a it's like you know, like Battle warn and it's like everything is like broken down buildings and it's all empty. No people live there. Don't just write off places that people live, you know. And so it was just nice to see something other than what we normally see about the city like Detroit.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say congratulations ladies.
Speaker 2: And they were like they were busies thirteen thirteen years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so cute.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, look at them and they're all like we won. I just thought that was great, and I'm just like, yes, I want to see more. I wish there was more balanced news about places like Detroit and you know, in Newark and Oakland and places like that, because they are good things that are happening here and that you know, if you only focus on the negative, then sometimes to me, you just bring more negativity about because what you think about you bring about I really believe, and so yeah, I'd love that.
Speaker 3: So that was just really nice to see something good like that.
Speaker 2: Two of the girls were twins and their names were Jayden and Jada. That's just mean, I'm just going to confuse everybody.
Speaker 1: First of all, there's social security stuff, all that stuff. It's gonna be so jacked up when they getting older, because you know how like it's already what because my boyfriend, his name is it's a J and his.
Speaker 3: His twin, he has a twin.
Speaker 1: His name starts with the T, but it's like the same like ending, you know, and so what happens with them all the time?
Speaker 3: And he was like if they they always.
Speaker 1: Are mixing records, you know, like his stuff and his brothers, and so you just gotta be careful with names like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that is a little.
Speaker 1: Bit like come on now, Jada, JJ you hey you.
Speaker 2: I feel all this affirmation right now because I was in the academic team when I was in school, which is like the nerdy club where you just answer like trivia questions about everything. This makes me feel better about that you're.
Speaker 3: Not a nerd or were you not?
Speaker 2: I got teased, Oh I did. It wasn't just about my hair. People also found time to tease me for my nerdy club affiliations.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I was always well see, people were very careful about teasing me because although I was a super geek. My best friend, oddly enough, was not. She was like super cute, super cool. Everybody loved Veronica. And also Veronica was a really good fighter, which came in handy for super geek like me. So one thing you didn't do was mess with tifty, not because I was. I mean, there was plenty of fodder, so Therefrey people tried to sneak it in, but then I'd be like, let me go give Veronica and quickly.
Speaker 3: I literally it isn't so funny.
Speaker 1: But oh, Veronica, if you're listening, I love you because you were like the best in high school.
Speaker 3: She kept me like just out of the trash cans and out.
Speaker 2: Of my locker, like your bodyguard.
Speaker 1: What. Meanwhile, Vernica is like five to five and I'm like, by thee not even five five, probably like five four. She's so little fatigue, but that girl can fight. I've actually had guys who would tease me come up to me later and say, Hey, Tiffany, I just want to apologize to you about what I said yesterday.
Speaker 3: And I'm like what, And then I'm like, did Veronica talk to you?
Speaker 1: They're like, uh so, I just want to apologize to them, but yeah, shout out to her, but shout out to all the girls out there and guys out there who protect their friends even if their friends are not on the same level as cool as them. Because Ronica made sure I had a very smooth high school experience. She's still the same way now, Like if I call her, now, who did it?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: I need to come down there? Let me get my vasseline. I'm like, Veronica, we're thirty six now, I'm okay. But yeah, so that's probably in too, just Veronica having friends who will have your back. I mean, she rarely had to fight. People were just naturally afraid. I don't know why. I think she just had persona that seemed like this is to the death and like.
Speaker 2: The seven girlfriends to back you up. I'm sure these I'm sure these chess girls real deep.
Speaker 3: Exactly like what next move man? Yes, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well that about wrap stings up for Brown Ambition this week.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you want to contact us, we are on Facebook at Brown Ambition, We're on Twitter at the BA podcast, and you can email us at.
Speaker 2: Brown Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com. Send us your questions please, and if you haven't yet, all thousands of our listeners we know you're out there. We see you, we get our numbers. Leave us a review, please.
Speaker 3: Yes, please do We love you guys?
Speaker 2: And if we tell people who are on Google Play now, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think you did.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Google Play in the Google Play Store, so all you Android users huzz u. Yeah, just look up Brown Ambition and the Google Play Store and we are there. You can tune in on there, but also everywhere else. I tune stitch, your SoundCloud, your desktops, Bround Ambition podcast dot com. That's about it.
Speaker 3: Yep, flavor in your ear