Speaker 1: I was like a communications political science major, but I sat down. I was just messing around. College kid played three chords in like a whole song, just like blew out with a twist and everything. I was like, what is that? Why can't I do that? And like all I want to do is do that again.
Speaker 2: Ben Williams Tennessee Orange Jam, I'm Not Pretty jam, Megan Maroney Songs, Lucky Jam. He's got a bunch, Riley Green turning Dirt. I mean he's got a bunch. We talk about a lot of them here. Ben Williams just received the ass Caap Award for I'm Not Pretty, which basically means he made a whole lot of money on that song. Yeah, whenever I read those awards, that's what it means. His name is Ben Williams. He has been in Nashville for just a bit now. He writes for Tape Room Music and Warner Chapel and he's kind of crushed it. But he's always been crushing it in a way, working hard though, Like he ran cross country and college. I got a whole story about how he got here because of that. He was a d one track athlete. I'm always so jealous of guys that can do sports and music at a high level. He got his first publishing deal shortly after graduation. We talked about that coming up. I really liked this guy. He was working as a realtor before making it a songwriter. We get to that, you feel like you tried to bury that a little bit. We found it. Yeah, we found it. He was surprised we found it. Yeah, because we found the description of his work, like his bio, a little headshot. It's awesome, So let's get to it. He was both Megan Maroney and Averyanna's first Nashville co write, and it's Ben Williams. Again. I always remember how somebody made me feel more than all the things that we said, because I do a lot of these, And after hanging out with Ben and Mike and I were just kind of going over some stuff, I was like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember when he said that, But mostly I was like, man, I remember liking the guy a whole lot. So hope you enjoy the stories here. He is episode four ninety five of The Bobbycast. It is Ben Williams. So I want to rewind a couple steps as you drink your prime? Is that Jake Paul or Ron Paul Senator Ron Paul's drink ru Paul.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff to unpack just from the first few minutes of me sitting down. First of all, Read, who is like my guy who travels with me, shoots edits, He's like my creative director. He was talking about how insane someone has to be to run in this weather, and I agree. First of all, I hate running much less. It's today's cold, and you may be if you're listening to us in Boston or Maine or Washington State, like, we get it. We don't know cold like you do, right Montana. Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 1: By the way, California?
Speaker 2: Yea, what party CANDU for California.
Speaker 1: Outside of San Francisco.
Speaker 2: I got the cold and peace, semi cold, Michael at times cold at times cold. Yeah, so save the you don't know cold, okay, cold relative not you. I'm talking. I'm talking like the people listening right now. Yeah, it's cold here for us right now, it's cold. It's sucks. And so Read was like, you got to be crazy. But he saw that. We think he saw you running literally, which is hilarious. So why do you run outside when it's this cold. Well, because I know you got a fancy watch on and you can afford a gym membership, And I'm saying, so, what's what's to do?
Speaker 1: I love running, Like I ran track and cross for Belmont. I'm still a big runner.
Speaker 2: But you were a college runner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I don't look like.
Speaker 2: It's so legit as anything. If you're an athlete, that's so legit. I had no idea, that's okay, keep going.
Speaker 1: Well this morning. It's funny because I was gonna go run on the treadmill, but I have an old car and the power steering was leaking this morning, and I called the mechanic guy. He's like, I have room in the shop if you bring it over this morning. And my fiance was already gone, and so I was like, I don't really feel like ubering back. I could get my run in. So I dropped the car off in East Nashville and ran home.
Speaker 2: So he saw, yeah, your run was dropping your car off running out. Yeah, by the way, Belmont D one, you're a runner at a D one school.
Speaker 1: I was man like I was, and I still am a runner. I'm trying to get I broke my foot really bad, like five months ago, and I'm just starting to run again.
Speaker 2: So like, how'd you break your foot?
Speaker 1: I fell off. I fell off an electric scooter leaving the bar in twelve soeuths. No, it was my own electric scooter too, which makes it worse.
Speaker 2: Oh dang to see. So hold on, there's just such an dichotomy of elements here. One you're like my old car that's leaking fluid, and again you have a very nice watch on, and again you own your own electric scooter. So why don't you have a nicer car with the success that you It just doesn't all miss cars. Okay, fair enough, fair enough, Okay, we're gonna get there. No, No, we're gonna get there. Uh so hard having I'm just I'm allowing me to be curious about something that maybe you don't get asked about a lot. But you ran in high school, I'm assuming at a high level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ran in high school.
Speaker 2: What'd you run?
Speaker 1: I ran the eight hundred and the mile in high school? But I played football, so I didn't get to run cross country until I got to college, which was really hard.
Speaker 2: So for those that and I wouldn't say I'm a big track guy, but we had to run track in high school football. Our coach made us. It was kind of like, if you play for me, I'm also the track coach, you gotta go run track. So four eight hundred is two laps and a mile is four laps. Yeah, and it both sucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they both suck. Yeah, they both running kind of sucks unless you love it.
Speaker 2: Running sucks. It does. Running. To me, I've had trouble the most I've ever ran a ten miles at one time.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good. I'm gonna I want to pat myself on the back. It's awesome for me because I struggle with running because it's it's much. It's physical, absolutely, but it's it's very mental.
Speaker 1: It's super mental.
Speaker 2: You gotta go somewhere else.
Speaker 1: I like one of the reasons that I'm even like, well, I'm getting back into shape anyways right now. But like I have, like I always, I'm such a goal person and my like fitness goal like for now is to do to do an iron Man, Like I really want to do an iron Man, and one of my buddies and I are planning to do on April of twenty twenty six. And one thing when you were just talking about like how hard it is mentally is I was like, Okay, an iron Man's cool, but like I'll just listen to podcasts all the time, where I'll listen to music. I didn't know that in an iron Man you can't have headphones. You can't have phones. It's like you versus the road for twelve thirteen hours. It sucks. Oh my, I'm like, h.
Speaker 2: On a micro machine level, I've done a couple Olympic traf lines WHOA, which I don't have the balls that you have to I'm just not the athlete that you naturally are. But I've done two Olympic traf lines and to me, that was that. Yeah. They're like, no, you can't listen to anything. Yeah, And I'm like, wait, I'm not trying to win, like I'm like competing for a scholarship. I want to listen to crab Yeah, And they were like you could like and They're like, you'd have a star next to your name. And at first I was like, what do I have a crap if there's a star next to my name? But then it started to weigh on me. I was like I don't want to start next thing convinced me that I didn't want that star next to my name. So but yeah, it was. That's very difficult. The swimming part. You don't listen and this stuff anyway because when you swim and the again, I'm not comparing what I did to what you're training.
Speaker 1: You can't take that away. That's really good.
Speaker 2: Because it was a mile swim. Mine was.
Speaker 1: It was a mile very far for anybody who doesn't.
Speaker 2: Know, Oh dude, it sucked. It's the only panic attack I've ever really had because I had only trained because I was such a novice at any of the endurance type sports that I trained in pools with a black line at the bottle.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm gonna do too.
Speaker 2: Never got into open water, so my didn't think about it. I was like, if I could swim a mile, I swim mile. Got into open water and you're in with a bunch of dudes that are your age, dudes that know what they're doing, and I'm swimming. There's no black line to look at and swim and keep me straight, so I can't. I don't know I'm going I'm off track. They have to bring a little canoe to put you back on. Today, yeah, people are swimming over the top of me and it's in the water. Like I had a panic attack to like, oh my god, I thought I was gonna have to quit. I don't quit anything. I thought I was gonna have to quit one of the most product because I didn't. I just refocused. But then once I got out of the water, and you have to put your because you're in a wetsuit, you have to change out of the wet suit and you go and the by cycling is now, yes, there's nothing to listen to. It sucks. No. So when you're gonna do that, it's like, how far was your cycle? Like twenty twenty six miles? That's still a good It's not one hundred like yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be insane.
Speaker 2: Like you're if you may help me with the stats and what you're training for, but your miles like two and a half.
Speaker 1: The swim is two point four, cycle is one and twelve and then and then marathon, which is.
Speaker 2: Why I don't even compare the two. But that's that's a that's a cool goal. The hard the hardest thing is doing again, are you training four?
Speaker 1: Now? I'm just starting because I have like a year and a half to do that too.
Speaker 2: I got five months.
Speaker 1: It's so fast.
Speaker 2: The hardest part was doing the training days where you had to do two it once, meaning you had to cycle and swim, because it's like, I'm I supposed to do that, right, It's not. There's like a course at the house where you do. So you go to the wine, you swim, and you try to find a place to ride it by I was.
Speaker 1: Telling read too like I'm I'm not a morning person, so like I'm gonna have to like become a morning person.
Speaker 2: I'm not a morning person either. I hate morning.
Speaker 1: So hey, if you ever get back into cycling, we have a I.
Speaker 2: Don't even want to hear the answer. No, I will never get I was never rid of cycling.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: It's not that I'll never not get back in. I will never get it. I hate no. The answer is no, that's one whatever. I'll never get in running again because I just never wanted to begin with too. But there's something about the mental commitment that mental gymnastics I would have to do at times to get through a seven, eight ten mile run where I would just have to wrote about it in my second book, I would just have to run tree to tree because if I started going out three more miles, I would start to break down. Yeah, so as a runner back to what you did, Yeah, so you were a football player, first.
Speaker 1: Football player in high school, and I thought that was what I was gonna do, like, and I thought that was going to help me get to college. And then I broke my coll bone really bad senior year and running I was way better at running. I just thought I was cool because I was like on the football team. I wanted to play football. But then I broke my collarbone and that went out the window senior year and then I originally went to Santa Clara University in California before Belmont, and that's where I ran. I ran a Belmont too, but that's where I went for my first year and ran track and cross country there. But that was the first place I ever ran cross country. The first time I ever went in across country meet was literally a Division one cross country meet at Stanford, and I was three miles in because in college it's eight k, so it's five miles versus high school it's five k.
Speaker 2: And so then again because I don't I'm not familiar, so.
Speaker 1: In high school across country, the distance is five.
Speaker 2: K okay, so like a five K. I've run five k's before or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And in college it's an eight k, so it's a five mile race. So my first race at Stanford, I dropped out like two miles in. I was like, this is insane. And at that time we're running like four fifty five pace for five miles. And my second race was like, I'm not dropping out. I'm gonna finish this race. And I got a half mile away and I passed out.
Speaker 2: No way, God dropped you.
Speaker 1: I ran until I passed out because I was like, I'm not gonna not All my teammates were like you suck like whatever. I was like, I'm gonna finish this race, and so I was like I might as well try.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about the first one. When you when you when you say you dropped out, you chose I don't think I'm gonna make it. I'm just gonna pull up. Yeah, you grab like a hamstring, because I would even if I would know.
Speaker 1: And what's funny too, is like my parents were there because it was my first cross country race and they lived nearby and they were wearing all this Santa Clara stuff, and I pulled out like I didn't know where they were, and I literally stopped like right next to them, and I could see them like looking for me, and I was right next to them, and I was like, hey, guys, like what are you doing. I was like, this is really hard.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm ready for this yet. I'm so curious about you pulling out of the race because obviously looking at yours and again this is fast forward, looking at your success rate as a creator, which means there's a lot of failure to have a success in this world, a lot of failure, which means you don't quit. Why'd you quit?
Speaker 1: It was? It was really it's kind of the when you were having a panic attack in the water. I was in such a new environment that i'd never been in, at such a high level that I had never been in, surrounded by the best runners in the nation, and we were going so fast, and I had just started to feel what I had come to learn is a normal feeling and across country race of oh, I can't, Oh, I can't do this, this really hurts, which is what I learned. The next three miles of across country race. That's normal.
Speaker 2: It's emotional and physical at the same time. Yeah, that's what happened to me. Yeah, when you said that, that makes a lot more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you passed out though the second time.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was so funny. You'll actually think this is funny. I was four and a half miles in and it was our it was our home meet at Santa Clara called the Bronco Invite, so all the other teams were there too, which made it even better. But I was four and a half miles and I could just I was so close, and I could just feel like my head starting to go back in my body, and I was like, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm gonna do this, and then all of a sudden, it was just gone, and I like woke up. I remember I woke up and there were people right there and they're like, what school do you go to? And I was red shirting at the time, so I was wearing my high school uniform. My high school was Burlin Game, and they're like, what high school do you go to? And I went burger King and they're like, get this guy out of here.
Speaker 2: Clear, I get this guy out of here. So you could still run red shirting. The would allow you to run. You just couldn't run officially with the school exactly.
Speaker 1: So you buy another year pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know they would because you can't. Well, in football, you can play four weeks in college and then still red shirt, but you played more than that. You can't. But it's not like you can play all the games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just enter unattached. Yeah, so I could technically, I think.
Speaker 2: Could you have run every race red shirted just to see what you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my freshman year because they were like, this kid's never run cross country before? How is well? Redshirt?
Speaker 2: Why'd you come to bellmin Then?
Speaker 1: So I was at Santa Clara and that was when I first started writing songs. I didn't grow up musical at all. Like my brother plays a guitar, My parents aren't musical nothing.
Speaker 2: I wondered if part of the reason was because of music.
Speaker 1: One hundred because of music. And I grew up on country. My mom's from Pegram and so like that was my whole life. I was all I'd listened to is country music. Still that's still all I listened to.
Speaker 2: But you didn't play it.
Speaker 1: I didn't play it. I had a keyboard in my dorm room that my brother taught me like a few chords on at Santa Clara, and so I was sitting there. It was like it was December. I remember, like it was right before winter break freshman year, and I sat down and like played like CG. E. Minor whatever, the simplest thing I knew. And I was like a communications political science major, so like music wasn't even a thought. But I sat down, I was just messing around college kid, played three chords and like a whole song just like flew out with a twist and everything, and it was terrible. All of our first songs are terrible. But I was like, what is that? Why can I do that? And like all all I want to do is do that again? And so like literally every day like till today, like since then, I just was writing. And at the end of that year, so I was on quarters, so I guess I finished. Like June. I was just like I got it. I don't know what. I didn't even know obviously, I didn't know that songwriting was a job. I didn't know anything. I was just like I have to be in Nashville, and Nashville is like home to me too. So I was like this, that just feels right. And so I told my parents and they're like, hmmm, I don't know about that. And I was like, okay, well whatever, I'm going to figure it out kind of on my own for a second. And so I went to I didn't even really know Belmont was a school. I just knew Vandy was a school in Nashville. So I like went online and I looked up like track team Vanderbilt cause I was like, however I was gonna get here was going to be through running. And so I found out that Vanderbilt doesn't have a men's track team. They only have a club cross country team, and I wasn't very good at cross country, so they weren't gonna want me. So then I was like other colleges in Nashville, and I found Belmont and I was like, whoa, this is a music school, has all the stuff. Anyways, like this seems really cool, and I called the track I literally called the track coach and he was like uh. He was like, yeah, I got a locker with your name on if you want to come here, let me go talk to admissions. And I was like right now, and he's like, yeah, I'll go talk to him right now if you want. He literally went and talked to admissions. I had like a three point one or something. He's like, yeah, you're good to come if you want, Like, just let me know. So that same day I dropped out of Santa Clara and like accepted admittance here. And then two months later I was at Belmont.
Speaker 2: When you're playing a few chords on a keyboard and you say just kind of came out of you, and not comparing how good the song was or how bad the song was, because in three years you're gonna look back the songs you've written now and be like, oh, that song kind of sucked. Yeah for sure, So we won't make those comparisons. But it is kind of weird that you felt something come out of you that you didn't know was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I immediately recognized it and I was like, that was a thing that was that was the thing in your thing? Yeah, And I was like I just I was I was fine at running, Like I wasn't the good guy on the team. I didn't have the scholarship or like anything, but like when that happened, I was like, oh, oh, I don't know what this is, but maybe I could be good at this. And then I was I, thank god, I recognize that. Why do you think that is? I don't know.
Speaker 2: What do you think happened?
Speaker 1: I really don't know. I think it was a lot of being a freshman in college and looking for identity. I think a lot of it too, was like I wanted to be I feel like I wanted to be cool so bad too, as like as a freshman in college and on the cross country team and all your best friends are on the baseball team, and like maybe that was my own identifying factor. But I really was just obsessed with it. Like I was just obsessed with the fact that I could have some idea and some twist, Like I remember at that time, do you remember seth Innis's song Woke Up in Nashville? Like I was so obsessed with that song because I felt that struggle of like chasing a dream and missing a girl or missing your family.
Speaker 2: That's before you came here.
Speaker 1: That was before I came here, right, And then I remember like woke Up in Nashville. Then once I realized, oh oh, there's all these twists and turns in country music, like oh, he woke up, like he realized in Nashville. He didn't just physically wake up in Nashville. And then every day I just became more and more and more obsessed with Wow, I want to be I want to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Anybody in your family musical at all uncle's aunts. And I guess I asked that because even if it wasn't in your house. And I don't think that you can just become a good guitar player genetically, and I'm not saying that about you, but but there are traits nurture or nature that happened. I just wonder, did anybody.
Speaker 1: My grandma like played off key organ in the Pilgrim United Methodist Church, So maybe it was that. My brother always like fingerstyle guitar playing when I was growing up too.
Speaker 2: He's younger, he played now like, Oh yeah he here, he's in Dallas.
Speaker 1: Finance guy.
Speaker 2: Anybody's really good.
Speaker 1: He's really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also recommend stand financial.
Speaker 1: And he's a really good brother.
Speaker 2: You made the right decision. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just faceime me. He just moved into this awesome new apartment. He says.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor. Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: You ever get envious of.
Speaker 1: That more structured life, No, not at all. I think maybe the like security of it maybe, but like we were just at home. My mom moved to Georgia and we were just there for Thanksgiving, and like I would wake up at ten and go to the driving range and like you know, hit some balls or whatever on a workday, and he'd be, you know, working on an Excel sheet, And like, I was not envious at all, but I'm very supportive. That's awesome for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel that way too, about eighty eight percent of the time. Like, I love that I've been able to craft this path. At times it feels like a machete with metal trees. Yeah, you know, at times other things have come bitty year and I would not change it, but I definitely would not recommend it to anybody ever, for sure, because there is no security.
Speaker 1: There's no security. And like I'm sure, like I know a bunch of your story too. We'll get into that.
Speaker 2: No, we won't. We'll get into what I want to say, we get into Okay, you never.
Speaker 1: I really want to tell you about this this podcast effect, but.
Speaker 2: We're just security this world.
Speaker 1: I think that. I think that it's very hard at the beginning because like for me, the convincing of people who didn't even know this world existed, and that's sort of like, how does that work? Why are you doing that? That doesn't make sense? Do you want to be poor forever? Like, don't do that? That sucks? And if you're not willing to be like, hey, guys, just I don't know how long this is going to take, but just like let me do this. I think that's that's the struggle. Really, it's not. I don't It was never the personal struggle for me. It was all the outside doubt and even if you know, like my parents are very supportive, thankfully, I've had a lot of support in my life, but like everybody's still doubtful until it works, and I think, and then you keep doubting that, and then doubt is contagious and constant. Yeah, And I just try to outweigh that out because it out never even goes for it. And at this point I've had a relatively good amount of success. Yeah that you see, same with you.
Speaker 2: I could read every song you've freaking written that I think, but you'd be like, well, let me show these two hundred that nobody we didn't even demo, you know much. So you know we're we're aiming for like a one to fifty batting average here, and that's wildly successful.
Speaker 1: Wildly Yeah.
Speaker 2: The security part is I would never recommend it to anybody, but I love it for me, I guess because and I think the key for me, and the key for anybody in this world is to remain, is to continue to remain to be highly irrational.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you have to be.
Speaker 2: You have to be so irrational about what you can do. It doesn't mean you can't do it. Being really, I think I can do anything in the world, and I have to think I have to be so irrational about it for sure even have a shot at doing anything on a big level.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that too, Like the twelve percent, right, Like that's not the eighty eight percent, like even with me, like like I just sold the only songs that were really like paying for my life, right and so your catalog Yeah yeah yeah, and so like right now, like I don't have a draw, I don't have a salary, I don't have anything, like I have things and whatever, Like I'm fine, but like when I go when I look at my asscap statement anymore, like it's not what it was because I sold sure, and so things like that. Though, like that twelve percent you're talking about that keeps you up at night or whatever you'll feel in the morning. I actually think that's the reason why we are able to do what we do, because that twelve percent makes us want to work even harder. It makes me want to do you know, a nine am and eleven am and a three pm tomorrow. Because it's very irrational what's.
Speaker 2: Next, because people look from ten thousand feet up and be like, bro, you're doing good. Why are you working yourself so hard? Why are you putting this pressure on yourself?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: But it's like two layers of being a rational one for you to feel like you still have to go so hard, but that's also what got you here. And that never just leaves, that never just checks it, that never just checks out of the hotel. Sure, that's what I talk to friends about. Actually, I'll have friends and with athletes, and I consider athletes and artists high performing this kind of the same mentality, and that if you're driven and you win a super Bowl or you're great. It's not like you go, well, I won my Super Bowl, I'm good now, because what's inside of you is what got you to that point to be great, and it doesn't just check out like you leave in a hotel. It's still the same thing with how you do your career. You can have fifty You could be Ashley Gorley, who I know, and he's very he's good. Yeah, but again if you ask him, he's probably like, can I stay relevant? Can I do? And so that that ought. So that's an irrational part of it. And then also just believing that you're good enough to keep going on a high level. That's so irrational. We should not be we should not think that. But if we don't think that, we can't do this right right right.
Speaker 1: No, And even Ashley like he's my new deal. I just signed with him. And it's unbelievable to watch, truly the goat the greatest of all time. I don't think anybody will ever taught him, like to watch the pace he goes and just the amount of love too, like on top of how much he does for himself that he shows for our team and just you know, he had to go to something immediately after the party too, and his wife is there, his kids are there. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But never to check out that you know, you don't check out, and it's awesome and awful and more awesome than awful.
Speaker 1: I think we all kind of want to at some point.
Speaker 2: I think it feels good to think we could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I would love.
Speaker 2: To be able to not be so neurotic and anxious. I don't sleep well, and it's not it's just because I am concerned about being places on time, getting everything done, not letting anybody down. Can I still be creative when my schedule is packed? So? But then I'm doing that. That's energy even just thinking about that, I'd being anxius about. That's energy that I wish I didn't waste being anxious, but I do, and I am. And like, there's a screw loose. But for me it's been the right screw same thing for you, there's really cool. There's a bit of a screw loose there has to be for even move here. Yeah, Like that's not who does that? No, it's crazy to think you can move here and make it.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure, it's weird to even hear you right there to say say that as if I have because it doesn't feel like that, like it feels like that's that's still to do, that's on the to do list.
Speaker 2: You know, a song is you know, a song is so good that I didn't know that you had written it until I was just looking up stuff about you. But my wife and I sink because my wife is a fan of it a long time. Agoes hair salon. Oh my dude, it's it's my favorite. It's one of my favorite songs. It's such a female song. Yeah, but that's like the that is the freaking jam.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. So that was so that was one of the first songs we wrote when when Meghan moved to town.
Speaker 2: By the way, Meg and Roney everybody, I mean to speak and broken like a code language. Meghan Roney hair slon. This was early early Megan Roney on TikTok. My wife was like, this girl is so good. Yeah, and I was like, yeah, whatever, find and I would be secretly, I'll be secret listening to it right right. Yeah, that song, it's such a great song.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that.
Speaker 1: So with Meg and she's the best we So when I had first sign my publishing deal at Major Bob. I interned there for two years, which is like why interned there? I filed all the papers in the back. I listened to this podcast every day.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But so I was Meg's first Nashville co write ever and it was on Zoom before she ever moved here. So we wrote a bunch of songs on Zoom together when she lived in Georgia before she moved here. And I think hair Salon I really think was the first rite that we ever wrote. Maybe it wasn't, but it was like top five when she moved here. When we sat down like in Nashville with Michael Carpenter and Mackenzie Carpenter, who we've done a lot of stuff together. We call ourselves Jimmy James. And when we wrote hair Salon specifically, I was like, I don't know what this is, but whatever this sound is, whatever this feel is with Megan is the thing, and whatever that feeling with this song is, we need to keep until we are gray, Like this is the vibe, this is the feeling, this is the song that I'm so glad he said that, because I truly like people will be like what's your favorite song you've ever written. I think it's Harsalon.
Speaker 2: My wife is eleven, almost twelve years younger than I am, so she definitely keeps me on the Sabrina Carpenter all the new pop stuff, but even some of like the the because I listened to a fair amount of music, but then I don't sure. I mean, I'm creating content all day. I don't know. It's not what it used to be. But she was like, oh, this is like one of the greatest songs And it wasn't even so much at the time about Megan Maroney because there wasn't a big body of work of hers out right.
Speaker 1: No, it was like this second song, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: She was like, this song is so good. And I remember listening to it, and first of all, I don't acknowledge my wife finds something great at first. It never never I don't want ever, because anything I find is it's never good. But she can like find TV shows and music like she's great at it. So I was just like, yeahs fine, it's fine. But I remember thinking that is so new and refreshing and classic at the same time, and it wasn't. It didn't sound it was so specific yeah. Right. It was in that era too, when specificity started to be written into songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it also was like so small town like where I was from. It just hit me in like an odd way that again it's such a female song, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's fine. My parents were like, how did you How did you write that? And I was like, ah, I don't mom, We're very close. I was just thinking about you. And they were talking about the line.
Speaker 2: Though it's a gem what's the line? What's favorit line where you get.
Speaker 1: Who cares? Who's selling weed to the preacher's son in the second verse? I remember like the second we wrote that. I think a great Megan song and like a great country song which is watched. She has so many great songs. It make you laugh, it'll make you like cry, it'll make you feel all the love all at the same time, and like that song makes me laugh and then I'm like, damn, but it's really about this this girl who's heartbroken because her ex boyfriend just got engaged. But then you laugh about a weed line like.
Speaker 2: And then it's like and it also reminds me of where I grew up. Yeah, because it's very even if you're not talking about a hair salon. It's there are eight other places in your small town, right where that dynamic is happening between just the random people, the cast of characters that lives.
Speaker 1: In a small to anyway, that Bernadette is a real person, by the way, too, And that's Megan's dad's hairstylas. And when that song came out, before Meg was big or anything, she sent us a video and she's like, miss Meghan Maroney wrote this song about me, and she walked through the salon and with the song in the background. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I think she Megan's just a great, great songwriter, unreal, and this town is a land of giants and singers and songwriters, and it's not even that because there are a lot of great songwriters. But again, she's great with something to say from a perspective to say it from. And you're definitely a part of that journey with her. But I've said many times because she's front facing, right, she's the artist for sure, so she gets the shine. I was like, she is what I feel is like the new generation of the great songwriter one hundred. When you start writing with her, like, yeah, what is it about her?
Speaker 1: What her ideas?
Speaker 2: I always have.
Speaker 1: This is the truth, Like I have a section of my notes like ourmegan ideas. But the truth is is when we sit down and write, and now it's a lot less than before. We used to write all the time. Now she's very busy on the road and when we write, you know, it's specifically for an album or whatever, which is awesome. She has all the ideas and even like if we get stuck on something, I'll just be like, hey, read me your ideas, and she'll like all of Tennessee Orange, I'm not pretty, all those songs, those are her ideas and those are her concepts. So she really think, she really will think of a concept that everybody's going to relate to in a completely different way. And then we just got to bring it together, you know how.
Speaker 2: I know that you're legit and I don't. Again, we haven't met before. Yeah this, if we had it, it had been in superpassing because I only we spend time together. No, Okay, this is why I think I respect you already. Is that anybody most folks would have said what you said kind of about somebody else that they were involved in writing with they would have said, yeah, she's great, she has great. You were pushing all the credit to her, which means you are so secure, You're so secure in what you bring and who you are, that you're absolutely fine with taking a spotlight and going yeah, I mean I was involved in that, but look boom spotlight on her. Oh for sure, Like, even you doing that shows me the kind of collaborator and person you are to work with. So that's a compliment, Oh think, because I again appreciate it. I never knew who I mean, I'd read about you, I knew I knew your songs, and I was walking down until I got down here. I don't know if you're gonna be cool or not. He's still not totally convinced. I mean maybe sometimes run when it's like ten degrees outside, I'm not. And then the song just became because hair sline, Like, wasn't that was a radio song? No, not at all, But then Tennessee orange monster, Yeah I'm not pretty monster. Now it's like you write songs that would make other people want to write with you, Like you've written such big songs that if you just say, oh, yeah, he was a writer on this, that alone makes you desirable to write with. And that's a change. How did you deal with now being the person that everybody wanted to work with?
Speaker 1: That's wow. I like him emotional about that, because like all I ever wanted to be is that person. And I think I talked about like you know, listening to this podcast, I am such a huge, huge, huge fan of songwriters in this town. Like I knew Jesse Fraser's story before. Jesse and I are Ever Boys, John I Kopperman, all of the guys that have been on this podcast, I I idolize. And the fact that now I can sit and call them friends and they want to write with me because of those songs to me is like it truly is I'm living my dream and I'm so grateful and humbled, and it's also terrifying because like I'm so grateful for those songs and now also too, like when I if I now, thankfully, I think that I have all. I've gotten all the big, big, big rights out of the way, and thankfully I made a lot of friends along the way. But during that year, really after Tennessee, Orange probably Why I'm Not Pretty was still on its way to being a hit. You only get one chance to walk in the room with you know, abz ex artist X writer and if you to walk in and they're like, yeah, you might just be on a hit song, but you might not be the reason why I was a hit song. You have to prove yourself. And I had to prove myself like not only when I just got first got my publishing publishing deal before hits, but then after hits to go into the biggest of biggest rooms and be like can this guy hang? Do we are we gonna turn to this guy I now to help with these other artists. That was tough because like I know I can, but I had to go do it, and that was that was crazy.
Speaker 2: What would your advice be to you seven years ago, four years ago a covid messages with my brain. Yeah, because again, you're writing with Megan before she was a known entity. Yeah, and I'll talk about her as not a human but just as like as a data point that can generate streams and revenue. You were writing with her before she was a thing. What would you tell other guys or girls like you that are like I just can't get any rights with anybody big, Like, how am I supposed to make it?
Speaker 1: Oh? My gosh. That is like if I go get coffee with Belmont students or something, that's the number one thing I tell them was like when I signed my first publisher, Neil, I'm twenty six now, I was twenty two, and I just remember that first year being like I need a Luke Brian cut, I need a Morgan wall And cut. I need these, Like that is how I'm going to have success. I'm going to get an outside cut. I had no idea that when I was sitting there writing all those songs with Meg and I did a bunch of Averyanna songs and all those early songs, I had no idea that what was going to propel me to even have the opportunity to write a Luke Brian or Morgan wallensong or whatever was sitting right next to me co writing the song I was doing. And so that is the number one thing is don't obviously, if you get a Blake Shelton single or whatever, that's amazing, like go you go you. But I think the way to break in as a just a pure writer, which I am, is look to your left and your right, who do you truly believe out of your friends or your circle has a chance to be honest in a stage, and whoever that person is, sit next to them, write with them every week, write with them every day, write their first record before they know that it's their first record. And then if you can contribute to their career and they blow up, boom. You just did the thing. And now you get the opportunity to do the thing that was impossible, which was getting an outside Luke Brian's song in your first Bubbles you deal pretty much.
Speaker 2: Did you ever want to sing?
Speaker 1: Can you sing? Oh? My gosh. I think about it all the time now. I used to never think about it because there's so many songs on my phone where I'm like that I sing. I sing most demos, and I'm like, man, maybe I should put these songs out at some point. I don't know. It's nice to not though.
Speaker 2: There are two kind of versions of the situation you're in. One would be I am extremely close. You mentioned Ross Kapperman. He comes over pick a ball a couple of times a week. Our wives are very close. Like that's like my guy been friends for the whole time I've been in town, just about them. And Ross is really good and Ross was like an artist. Yeah, he's an artist, and then he started to have success writing, so he'd like focused all his talent, so he's like an artist and then he gets at a crossroads. What do I do. I've got all this success, you know, uh, being a producer and art and so it's like I want to take Manders you put it here. But he was the artist that then. But a lot of those guys right are artists and then shift for one reason or the other. And then there are guys, my guys. For any of it's gonna message me. I mean, got women and men guys is universal crue. I agree, thank you, thank you like yourself who write and they have the ability to learn to be a better writer, so they do, and then they kind of find the voice yeah inside of them physically and mentally that they now want to write and sing songs. And I feel like that second version could be a bit of you now I'm not.
Speaker 1: My and the thing is too like if it's coming from anywhere, it's not coming from I want. I want the spotlight that comes from being the artists. Like that is not what I want. What I do want, though, is like, man, when I go finish this song, like Ross and I wrote a ton of songs, like a lot of them are getting cut, but like there's a lot of songs that we just wrote for some new projects that like aren't getting cut. And I'm like, and I sang all the demos and even with other people, and I'm like, they're my some of my favorite songs I've ever written, and I'm singing them and I'm like, Wow, I wish people could just all I'm saying is there are so many cool songs that I wish were in the world that won't be in the world. And the only avenue for them to be in the world is if I put them at.
Speaker 2: A mount Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm just walking that line of Wow, it's really nice to wake up on a Saturday and go play golf with my friends or if I do it, I'm gonna do it, and then I would be in you know, Maine on a Saturday.
Speaker 4: Right, the Bobby Cast will be right back. This is the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: My text rass and to say, tell me one thing. See if you've been FACETI will probably pick up well, I hate face timing if they're in the middle of a right, because I'll do that for the right, I'll face time. I mean, I mean, I'm that close with I don't care. But let's just see what happens. This is well, by the way, Ross has over like forty number ones right as.
Speaker 1: The biggest writers in our world, in the world.
Speaker 2: Let's see if he answers here hebby Bobby, Hey man, I just got out of a nice back. He's not gonna answer, though he may call back. You can't leave a video, he is. Hey, So I'm sitting here RaSE. So we were just talking about you, Uh what give me? Can you give me like a couple of fun facts out oh Ben here? Like, oh my god, just some for somebody that works because he he loves you and talks in such high regard of you. And so I thought, if Ross has a couple two to three minutes we're recording this right now, could you give me just a couple of thoughts on Ben.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 5: I don't remember what you got into about his athleticism.
Speaker 2: It was the whole first ten minutes of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: The way Ben writes lyrics is just it's it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: He he.
Speaker 2: He says the most profound.
Speaker 5: Things and he's he's thoughtful, and he just knows how to write a hit song.
Speaker 1: To be so such a.
Speaker 5: Young writer write such incredible rixperient and to know how the arc of how to write the second verse, I was like, he knows how to write the second verse, and that's that's like the biggest challenge writing the right second verse.
Speaker 2: I'm very annoyed that he's an athlete. I'll be honest with you. I kind of hated that he was so athletic, because you know, when someone has such success as something else and they're young, and they're also like I was a d one athlete, I'm like, God, damn, dude, say something, save something for us, something, you know.
Speaker 1: Hey, his voice the.
Speaker 5: Best translation to Dirk's balty Ai that exists.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you have it, all right, buddy? Uh hey do you play pickleball at all? Do you play pickball? Does he get the invite? Does he get the invite?
Speaker 5: He'd be too good, Bobby.
Speaker 1: That's the too good.
Speaker 2: You know, I've got backing down from any but not that good.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't really, Yeah, he knocked my position down.
Speaker 2: No, I would not, All right, buddy, Thanks France, are and good to see you.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Like Ross is.
Speaker 2: Like, you're right, Like he upper tier. Yeah, he's done it at a high level for so long with many different people. Kenny Keith, it doesn't matter. Yeah, And for a guy like that, how does that make you feel when he says stuff like that, So because he didn't have to get uid anything you wanted.
Speaker 1: He's that's the coolest thing to me.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: And like the fact that one of the you know, idol of a writer of mine just told me that I could I know how to write the second verse, which is obviously the hardest part of the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we expand on that a little bit. Why why why is that a thing?
Speaker 1: I think? And the thing with me, I've never really believed in it. But I remember when I first started writing in town specifically, people are always like the second verse curse, And people used to go to lunch when they finished the chorus to like kind of like rejuvenate for the second verse, because it's easy to get lazy because you're tired. You just spend all this effort writing the hook and the chorus in the first verse, and I feel like all the time people are like, well, now there's nothing left to say. I feel like, what else people are? What else do we say? And I was just like, well, let's say the same thing but in a cooler way. And also like second verse wise, I don't know on any of the songs Ross and I have done together, but I'm never afraid to just write a completely different melody and a completely different structure for the second verse than from the first verse. Like why does the second verse have to be the same melody as the first verse? If it sounds good being the same great, But like, second verse to me is like another opportunity to regain the listener's ear before they hit another chorus. So let's say something weird or interesting or throw melody that they're not ready for.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like if you're in a room and with artists who have excuse me, artists or mostly songwriters that have traditionally written not that way, you know, melody of the first verse, melody the second verse gotta have three chorus here, got it? And it has to be done. Yeah, that it's hard to kind of break through to them what you're.
Speaker 1: Saying sometimes, Yeah, But a lot of the time I think if they just see that it's cool or they hear that it's cool, the vibe and the feeling. They'll just be like, oh, yeah, that is cool, even if they think that it has to be exactly this way. If something sounds good to somebody and they're if they're not willing to adapt, then they probably aren't writing in town anymore anyways, you know. So I think it's just showing if they don't believe in changing, showing them how it could be really cool, and then they'll be like, oh that is cool.
Speaker 2: You get a lot of people from non Nashville come in and go, hey, I want to write with you, Like is that a thing? Are people coming from with me? So just yeah, you specifically are Just in general, it feels like there's a lot of folks coming from like La just to write with like Nashville writers, they write differently, like more than ever, more than ever, it's constant.
Speaker 1: Now, it's like, listen, the fact that country's cool and everybody wants to be a part of country. Ashley said it the best. It's like this is the more the merrier come. We have open arms. Hopefully that'll go both ways, but I think they want to come see what we've been doing and that's really changing the world. I mean country to me hopefully, I don't know stats, but like it sure seems like it's the coolest format right now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, by far. Yeah, I mean just the format exploding as it has has helped me in other ways professionally because people will be like, oh, you're the most listened to, yeah, and the most listened to for it. You must be cool without it. So there's just credibility with country now that there hadn't been before a few years ago. And you know a lot of that is credited to the Wallins and Comb's and Zach Bryan being able to go stadium for sure, right, for sure, because a lot of people can do arena and that's amazing, for sure, but when you can go stadium, that's that's next level. And you have three young guys doing it at once. And I'm not talking abou Kenny, because Kenny's been able to do it in Garth, but it took those guys a long time. But you're talking about a sound that got so popular so quick. Yeah, and these guys are your age.
Speaker 1: I'll be super honest too, Like the one thing that is a little frustrating about it, And again I'm as open arms as it gets when I also can't wait to go to I haven't been on an LA trip yet, and so like, I know that I want to write some pop stuff at some point, and like I'm gonna get over there and be super green. And I'm not saying that people who come here are super green, because they're all amazing. Like when you come and I haven't written with a ton of LA people, I'm like writing with a couple, But it's like, unless you've written a lot of country before, which some of them have and they're amazing country writers, if you're just coming here for the first time to start dabble in country, the sessions are very much like, this is how we do it. It's sort of this way. Lyrics are like this. It's it's like, let me show you a sort of sort of vibe. And that's a little tough at the beginning, just to be like, come, let's I'm gonna show you how to This is how we kind of do it here versus them just getting here and we're just on the same page crushing. But that will come with time, and then the more that they come here, the more that we get to share in their world too. So I look at it as a positive thing.
Speaker 2: The creators writers that I know from California be the many more creators writers that I know in Nashville. Yeah, whenever those two mix, especially for the first time, well both sides. Often if they go into the land where they're going, they want to prove themselves. And I have done this in many situations where I'm like over the top a little bit because I want to myself so much. But it seems to me like the dynamic has been if people come, well, to say, from California here when they work there, it could be one in the morning, it could be in a studio, it could be you know, they're getting high in recording while they're riding. Totally, it could it very much and all the time, very much. It's melody. First will fully flesh out of a freaking awesome melody and then assign some words to it. And again all of that happens here a little bit, but mostly here, like it's a it's a job for sure, like nine to three, Yep, we're riding this and it can be concept, it can be melody, it can be but yeah, it's it's definitely they're just created differently. And I could understand how that oil and water meat and it will be difficult to learn.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's like a lot of the time it's amazing too. Like there's a song on Meg's last last record called I Know You and I wrote it with Jay Cash. We read it with Jay Cash and Jake I Love I Don't Know jacsh So. J Cash wrote like a lot of the early one Direction songs he wrote last night with Ashley Morgan's song He's just He's just an amazing guy. But he came and like just some of the melodies he would throw out that sort of hit factory thing and pop that we don't have as much in country really helps. That was really cool. I enjoy it. But you're right, I mean the times that we start I think they start at one there versus eleven here and stay up all night. I'm not in up all night writer, like I'm if I'm not done by three, Yeah, I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: But it's the culture here right for sure. It's Yeah. I'm not a I said, I'm not a morning person at all. I hate it.
Speaker 1: I like nine ams like I love a nine Am.
Speaker 2: I would wake up at noon. I literally wake up at noon every day. Or later if I could, and I don't. I wake up before thirty in the morning, and it sucks.
Speaker 1: You wake up before thirty every day every day.
Speaker 2: If not before, like my my alarm, Yeah, because the show starts at five, but we're not we can record stuff early early on because we're on East coast six am, right, we can record stuff early early on. COVID kind of allowed that. But my alarm is set for four thirty, and I don't know that. My alarm has gone off three times this year, meaning I'm so neurotic that I wake up three twenty three fifty four to ten take a gasp because I do. It sucks. I hate it. And people will be like, what time do you start working? And I'm like, as soon as my eyes open, sure, or I would or I wouldn't wake up right, But what wakes me up is me going, oh my god, I got so much to do. And Mike, who produces this, but it's also like been my vertebrae for ten years at this point, he knows if he's getting emails, even if he's on a wake at two thirty in the morning, it's about to be a rough day because that means I haven't slept at all. I can't sleep. I'm up, I'm writing, I'm sending notes for the show. But again, that is also and I say that, don't not the wa but like that's also what built the studio in here for sure. For sure, it's also what allows me to travel around the country doing a sports show that's opened all these doors for television. So you know, with all of that, hate mornings and I don't sleep a little bit, not a time that would be suitable to wake up that early, like eleven. Sure, before I got married, I could go to bed at seven thirty or eight pm because who cares. Yeah, But now that I have like a wife and like I try to not be lame and we like watch it's have a life.
Speaker 1: I'm getting married in July.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh it's we've been together since like Belmont, like the whole ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you say that like that's one hundred years ago, you're like twelve. Yeah, it was, like, I mean, it was my adult life, like kids do the darnedest thing, Like it's my way to seven years.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it is a long time.
Speaker 2: Nineteen Dang, Why she cool? What's cool about her?
Speaker 1: She's so cool. She puts up with me. She's just so easy and so amazing and smart talented.
Speaker 2: How'd you propose? When you propose?
Speaker 1: I proposed almost two years ago. We were doing a long engagement. But so her birthday is May sixteenth, mine's May eighteenth. So I proposed on the seventeenth. Her parents have a place down in Florida, and I had my whole family come down and we did one of those Hey we're gonna do a family picture on the beach. And then I actually was so funny. We hired this photographer lady to take pictures, obviously, and we were I was standing there with with Bella her name is Bella, with Bella, her dad, her mom, and her sister, and we were doing like one family photo, like right before they were gonna like Bella's dad was like, hey, let's do pictures with Ben and Bella. That's what I was gonna do it. And I had the ring like in my pocket right here, the big box, and I'm on the right side of this family photo and the photographer, whose only job was to be there to take engagement pictures. These family photos are whatever, They're not part of the thing goes you have something sticking out of your pot. And I literally Bella's dad looks at her AND's like what, and I'm like, I just joked. I was like, that's my butt. I got a big butt, and she was like, I was like, what do you do? And so just immediately after that, her family got out and you had to go down. No one knew anyways, did she?
Speaker 2: Oh, when I bought the ring, but let's not hold on, let's not okay, okay, that's still the photographer. Regardless if Bella knew anyways, I don't want to take off the dad's a bad movie. That photographer needs to be focused, be focused, because you should know why you're there. Yes, now, yeah, but she didn't know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she's like FBI agent. Like when I when I bought her an engagement ring, we were in Colorado and her mom booked her a massage, and Bella was like, why why did my mom booked me a massage?
Speaker 2: Something's up today because it was so uncharacteristic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, but it's not. She gets massages all the time. Anyways, it was snowing outside in Colorado. I went and bought the ring. We got back and she was like they're acting all weird. She went in the garage, looked at her mom's tires of her car, felt them that they were wet, and knew that we must have left the house so and she knew I wouldn't bought the ring because we had left our phones at home, so our locations looked. She's like FBI agent.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit on you, guys. I too. If you know she's like FBI agent, then you gotta make sure tires aren't warm. You get an uber could have ubered, oh my god, I've never thought about that. I can't believe the photography did that though.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor. Wow, and we're back on the Bobby cast.
Speaker 2: Your realtor, you were home? How do you know that you were really that? How long? How long did you do that?
Speaker 1: So during my first publishing deal, my first year, I wasn't making very much money, and I was like, I just wanted to have a little bit of money to go to dinner or something, and so I got my real estate license. I love real estate.
Speaker 2: How hard was it to get that license?
Speaker 1: Not hard, You just have to You just have to do it. And I got my real estate license because I just wanted one. I wanted to see if I could do it when I wanted to learn about it because at one point, hopefully if I was successful, I wanted to learn about real estate like a lot of people have been very successful in real estate, especial with investing and whatever. I don't have my license anymore, by the way, but I got my license and I sold one house. You still I sold one house in the in the Sylvan Park. Was your picture on the front of the thing?
Speaker 2: Do you have it like a thing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I was too cheap. I didn't even buy I din't. I don't even know if I bought real estate agent like business cards.
Speaker 2: Can I read your zelobio?
Speaker 1: Do I have a zilobio?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You tell me of this? You or not enthusiastic and motivated to create a seamless real estate experience for you? Please allow me to introduce myself. Originally from the Bay Area, with generational ties to the greater Nashville area. I've been a resident of Tennessee for the last five years, and I loved every minute of it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I graduate. I graduated from Belmont University with a music business degree, and along with furthering my exciting career in real estate, I've been a professional songwriter in Nashville since graduation. Wow. I've come from a family of real estate investors who taught me the importance of investing wisely and using the power of real estate to create an abundance of benefits in life, both financially and practically. I pride myself if you put a melody behind it, Did I think you got to hit here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I pride myself on my ability to communicate thoroughly, my passion for helping others, and my drive to use real estate to excel in a volatile society. Only one more sentence. There's nothing like finding a house that feels like home, or letting go of one to move on to greener pastures.
Speaker 1: All that for one sale.
Speaker 2: Did you write that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wrote that yourself.
Speaker 1: You know what it's crazy too, is what was I just gonna talk about? Oh? I just bought my house in twel South like three months ago. My real estate license expired like two months ago, So I could have saved You.
Speaker 2: Could have got part of the feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I didn't let again. So now one of the i've met. I met a friend who was my real estate agent. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: It sold two houses. What would have been fun was if like you're like, I need to find a realtor and you're like, let me just type in some keywords of like a good realtor that pops up and you type in some words than you pop up for yourself. Where did you find that? Don't worry about what we what I do and what we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't even know that existed.
Speaker 2: I was the one that bought the house for you before. You just didn't realize that was me. Uh you guys, you can follow Ben at Ben We already said all this but Ben dot Williams dot music too many dots for me. But you know og Yeah, yeah for sure. Yeah, congratulations mans like pretty cool, so happy. Yeah. Sometimes it's like, man, somebody's had some success. You're a young guy, like a wonder No, I like you. Oh yeah, it's good and I appreciate that the compliments about this, and man, I just hair salon is like that, like that's one of the song. If you were to go like of the past like five to seven years, like, what's a song that hits you sideways and you're like, oh, that's it, that's it, whatever, that that's one of those songs.
Speaker 1: So I had no idea I'd be talking about that song today, which is so cool. And by the way, like I didn't even I literally Major Bob was my first publishing deal. I love them, We have a great relationship. I for two years, I filed all the papers in the back and I would go back and forth between Bobbycasts and the writer is. I mean, I probably listened to all of the first three hundred episodes, and I even remember being at Belmont like on the track team and listening to Gorley's episode and just like all and just being in awe. I think I stayed up until like one am listening to that podcast before it tracked me. This podcast really changed my life, no thanks, and got me so inspired, And it's crazy to me that in so full circle and so cool that I'm even here looking at that really cool picture of me behind you.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're not recording this. This was just it's to make a wish. Yeah, yeah, you don't know yet, but you're gonna be giving us some bad news. So yeah, this is just it was about to come in Uh you guys followed Ben. Been good to see you, buddy, h This was awesome and once it gets a little we played pickleball a lot. Yeah, I woop pross butt. I believe I woop pross.
Speaker 1: But have you played with Ashley?
Speaker 2: He's really no, But but so Gator. You know Gator here.
Speaker 1: I just met Gator.
Speaker 2: So he plays over at Ashley. They played basketball a lot too. But the basketball games are albably so late. I can never go because they're like, we're playing at a forty five PM and I'm like, guys, i gotta get up in two hours, right, But Getter's like he's got courts, but my schedule is so weird with the hours. But I think that's a place, and I'm just gonna divite ash over here too. But yeah, yeah Gators, like they're playing like costumes and crap over there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Mandy Ashley's wife like they have like a women's league and everything. Your wife should play too, she wants.
Speaker 2: My wife is such an annoyingly good athlete, but like is it's so annoying. She's such a good athlete and does not care.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's like my Bella is so good. I love golf. Bella is she was on the high school golf team, and she's so good at golf. I can't even convince her to come plain.
Speaker 2: Really. Every once in a while, I get Caitlyn to play pickleball. Read Yeah, she's good, Say it's good, Say say more.
Speaker 1: She whooped us.
Speaker 2: And he whooped us as the team, and read's gotten pretty good, and she like she is, but she just has she's yeah, you know, she got stuff to do. You gotta read a book or something. And I'm like, I would never read a single day thing if I was reading.
Speaker 1: Because Bella she loves, she loves yeah, and.
Speaker 2: If she can't for some reason, it's dead. Uh, she'll get it up, put on her phone too, and read it on her phone like she loves. She read like there's a lot of sex stuff. No, no, it's not. I'm just I was going it's not. She it's pretty diverse. And sometimes I don't even ask because it moves from one book to the other. And then sometimes if I ask, I really don't want to hear about it. I'll be honest with you. I don't like, and then I don't want to get lectured about how much because there's I will check out for a couple of months of time of reading at all, because I'm just like I get in seasons of book reading, like I'll kill a book and I'm done. And sometimes you'll be like, maybe you should read more, And I also don't want to have that lecture. Some might can even.
Speaker 1: Acquire Yeah, that's a really good reason not to ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or she'll be like, while you're over there swiping on TikTok, I'm over here reading about you know, are you a tiktokst It's the greatest, It's the it's what the iPhone, penicillin, TikTok, the carriage built onto the horse, maybe the four greatest dintions ever, and a pencil not adventure, but I guess like a discovery.
Speaker 1: So it was TikTok actually getting banned in January.
Speaker 2: No, that'll never happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll never happened. I never go on it, but maybe I should.
Speaker 2: Why TikTok is great is because it doesn't matter what your thing is. There's a corner of the universe that is built specifically for you and for me. It happens to be a lot of sports stuff, but like nineties wrestling, you know old it like old like a bunch of like early two thousands nineties music like alternative. So there's just whatever like your thing is, it's it's unlimited.
Speaker 1: I'm a YouTube guy, like I've been watching YouTube for it, like I watch YouTube shorts.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're a TikTok guy. Then just a different format, yeah, a different name. My problem is just cooking stuff like you like it.
Speaker 1: Like there's this guy, La Try guy, and he just goes to all the different like worst places, like the best worst food for you places you can and I just watch. I just get hungry. That's all I do. It's really my That would be like my A perfect Friday night is I throw on like Diners, Drivens and dives. I have the fire pit and I go on door Dash and I'll get like two vastly different cuisines like Indian and Mexican, and I'll watch food videos and chill. That's like heaven.
Speaker 2: That's even more ludicrous than me saying penicillin and talking about the greatest. Uh. Been good to talk to you, Bunny.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production