Speaker 1: Why are group proposals in why are marriage proposals now individual reality shows? So a friend of mine showed me her friend's child who got engaged. But it's like it's effectively you're coming with your own camera crew. So there's hashtags for couples now they're hashtags like this is their brand. So their brand, it's literally not reality show. Well, yes, we're gonna promote our brand. We're gonna promote our brand and integrated into this reality show. What reality show? Oh no, I'm getting engaged. But my fiance has talked to the producers aka my parents, and the segment producers aka the rest of the family and my siblings and friends, and they're all gonna get together and they're gonna get a location scout because there's gonna need to be a location and we're producing our own reality show. It's called the Proposal. What do you mean, Well, what it means is my fiance is going to have a bunch of people ready with a video camera and a still photographer and then I'm gonna come in when cued and maybe we're miked. I'm not sure, but they might just get it on the boom and then I'm gonna walk in and then my fiance is going to read his lines and get me the ring that I chose and approved, get on his knees with the right angle so the producers aka the parents and family can get the shots. But then we're gonna create a hashtag and we're gonna build our brand. What's your brand? Oh, Jeremy Allison. For God's sakes, we're Jeremy Allison Freedom Weekend. Oh, because that's coming up. We're gonna brand it because we're promoting it. We're doing a press stour. What's the press Well, we're planning for the wedding, and so the press store is going to be the next six months while we planned the red wedding. We're just gonna get the word out about Jeremy and Allison's Freedom Weekend, and then it's gonna air on the wedding day and then we're gonna do a whole other reality show when we have the baby. So it sounds like Bethany getting married and Bethany ever after, only it doesn't feel like they're making as much money. So, but what's going on now is group of proposals. And for the record, i'd never got I never got engaged on camera, and I've been engaged enough that that's actually a feat. I never got engaged on camera because that just is so awkward for me and for the person I'm in a relationship with, like Paul would Paul would never doesn't want to ever be on camera, but like to propose and share such a moment I Peete on the stick, and that was I will never forget that, and I will always on some level regret It's the only contrived thing I ever did on reality TV is Pete on the stick. But I feel like, if you're not actually on a reality show with cameras following you, you don't need to propose in front of a group of people. Kind of what I'm saying, it just seems a little odd and not that intimate and crazy everybody's cheering. It's just but you know, I guess I'm just a hater. What do you want? It just seems just the group of posal thing is unusual to me. If it didn't happen on camera, it didn't happen. It used to be if a tree fella, no one heard it. They should just change the expression now to if a moment happened and it wasn't documented, then it didn't happen. My guest today is Gabby Reese. She is a legendary volleyball player, model, and TV host. She is also Nike's very first female spokeswoman and shoe designer. In addition to her past and sports, she along with her husband, is co founder of Layered Superfood, their plant based nutrition company. She has trademarked her own workouts and has become a major player in the health and fitness world, with her advice being featured in magazines and television shows. I'm inspired by her journey as not only a businesswoman an athlete, but as a New York Times bestselling author. Their television personality and fellow podcast host, Gabby Reese knows how to do it all. Enjoy. I'm so excited to meet you. I've been aware of you for a really, really long time. I just have been aware of you. And then when I'm about to interview someone, I think about sort of because you. It's hard for you. You're you. You don't know how I perceive you, and I've been aware of you forever, and as I think about it, you really have been the face and name of volleyball, not just women's volleyball, but the face and name of marketing of volleyball since forever. I had Dorothy Hamilon recently and I thought, oh, she was the face of ice skating, but so is you know, so were other people for you. It's really the only if someone said a professional volleyball player, you're the only person whose name I would know. So that says a lot about messaging and marketing and charisma and just who you are in the world and sort of the image that you have, and I wanted now know what backs that up. So where did you grow up?
Speaker 2: Well, I spent a few years. My mother took a tiny hiatus from parenting for about five years, so I actually spent from age two to seven in Long Island and then I was raised in the Caribbean, so my years were living in Saint Thomas, and then my junior year I was moved out of there to Florida, I think with the hopes of me sort of putting my teeth into something. And then that's when I got really involved in sports and other things and ended up going to college at Florida State for volleyball.
Speaker 1: But what did you mean when you said put my teeth into some of you were just in high school. You were thinking about actually the meaning of what you were going to do with your life in high school.
Speaker 2: No, I think when you grew up on an island, it's really great when you're very small, but it also can be an idle place when you get into these formative years. And so I think the hope was that that was put into an environment that maybe I would sort of find something that was interesting for me, and I did, so, Yeah, I mean I wasn't thinking about doing sports or going to university for sports or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Were you very athletic always? Were you born this way?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I think I was active, and obviously I'm very I mean I'm six foot three, I'm very and I haven't you know, sort of there's an athletic miss to me. But I wouldn't say I was like and I was a little bit of a tomboy, but nothing crazy. But I think for me, it's always the framework of the discipline around sports and the camaraderie. There was something about that that really and volleyball is a very fun game, but just something about that having a mission and working hard and being with teammates. Even though that you know that has its own complexities. That was very appealing to me. Well, you know, we're all looking for a tribe, so to speak, especially at that age.
Speaker 1: Right, And I was good. The question I was going to ask was about the discipline. So that's been a huge part of your success as an athlete. The discipline, the code, the sort of having that thing to grab on when things get tough and keep going, which is very parallel to business in my opinion, It's can be really hard and you just have to like suffer through it and just figure it out and find your way in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, listen, we've taken a company public, and we've done a lot of businesses and I've had to be an entrepreneur playing on a really small platform like beach volleyball. And it is the skill set that you learn in sport or in other people get in other places. Maybe somebody was a dancer, which is a sport, or a musician or something where you get that metal I call to sort of. I think people don't realize that anytime you pursue anything simultaneously, all along the way, you're getting your ass kids by what's hard about it? That is part of it. It isn't like, oh, I do business and then it all happens. It's like, no, that is all very hard, and you have to be able to figure out how to weather that and and continue to stay focused on what's the plan of action, what are solutions and how am I going to weather these you know, these little mini storms.
Speaker 1: But also those storms, surviving them and learning from them when the stakes get higher are so valuable. Like it's not that you're just getting beaten up and weathering it. It's that you're all still learning. It's a case law. So you got your ass kicked on that deal or I guess in that game, but you learned what to do differently next time. And the stakes can be higher when you know it's the losses seem so big when they're happening, but later on you realize, oh my god, I'm glad that happened then not now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a really important way to look at things, is when it's happening, is okay, what are the lessons so that I have a little bit more you know, knowledge or experience going forward, Because I I mean, I went to school communications, and I even think if people go to business school and they can build decks and they can do all those right things. There is still no know nothing like experience and being in scenarios and also like listening to your gut, Like you'll be in a situation when you're younger and you'll feel something and you won't really act upon it, or you about a person maybe and you'll be like oh, And I think as you get older, you're like, oh, yeah, no, I've learned that lesson, like this isn't the right scenario, we need to do this. I think there's all these things. No matter how much schooling you get, it's really going through it that you go oh okay. And also sort of I think it is different for women than men, where you learn to how to communicate and be ready for people to be unhappy or uncomfortable or balk and you just go, okay, that's cool. But we are talking about business, and in some ways this isn't personal. Even though we're going to be ethical, right, we're going to be honest, we're going to be ethical people, there's sometimes things that are really uncomfortable and unfair in business.
Speaker 1: Right, And I feel that it's like case law, literally, you remember that versus that that ended up and so now you remember that exact thing, and so you're gonna do it differently. But you're right, it won't always be popular. You know, it's not show friends, it's show business, I say, And it will not always be I like to say, I realize that's not very popular that opinion, or that we're doing it that way, but that's what we're doing. You have to have conviction because waffling. My fiancee always says that the second worst answer is no, like that maybe is the worst being in the middle, you know, not being able to speak your mind and say what you need and what's going on because you're freed, you're gonna hurt feelings. It leaves you in the middle of nowher then you're really in the middle of you know, trying to swim to the island. Well, so, so you were in a small you know, from a I guess media or perception standpoint, a smaller sport as you were just saying, before it was a women's volleyball. So that was a long time ago, before every single person had a personal brand and was an entrepreneur and all that. So you did you did you have any awareness of that that should be monetized, or that that should be marketed, or that you had something or to break out to the world, and even modeling seems like an outlier in that case. But so I'm wondering what you were. You're building the plane and flying it, So are you aware that you need to this is fifteen minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think for me it was always like the order of importance, right, So the order of importance was work hard, be good at what you're doing, because if you're if you jump ahead, then you fifteen minutes turns to like four minutes. And so I think it's important that you know. I always focused on and I followed the things that felt right for who I was. The thing is sometimes in sports or in fashion for example. I mean my accountant when I was nineteen was like, why are you playing volleyball? I was in college. Why don't you model full time and make as much money as you can while you can? And I was like, yes, but that's not me, Like I feel more connected to being an athlete. So for me, it was first always hearing what do I want? What do I want? Because it's easy to get distracted about well, they're doing this, and that's popular, right, now. So it was that, and it was also understanding that people weren't going to see me that often, and so when they did, how is I going to represent myself as genuinely like who I really am, but also with a little bit of a high polish so that you know, you realize, like, hey, for whatever reason, people respond to the high polish. But just make sure that everything's lined up as far as like, you do the work, you show up, you deliver, and how do I put a little bit of that on top?
Speaker 1: Right, you're talking about the cupcake and the frosting. Yeah, the cupcake, Yeah, I get it, Like the cupcake has to be good, but you can put little decorations on it. And I get that, and I find I find that quote unquote fame. It's very challenged. I've realized recently more than ever, when you're really seeing people produce their own lives for social media, that it's very difficult to be authentic and always just totally brutally honest and unfiltered and be relevant because you sort of have to be a lot full of shit and fake and filter yourself and make yourself something you're not, because authenticity can be boring. It's unique and people love it, but it can also it's not shiny, no, And then we're living in a very shiny, superficial world now, and I don't resit. I don't succumb to that temptation because it just feels weird, you know, posing and trying to be the shiny, frosting version of ourselves. And I think that's an interesting thing about fame and being relevant. That's happening right now more than ever because people get caught filtering their waists and their bodies, and you know what does that mean?
Speaker 2: I think people have to ask themselves what's their end goal?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Right, Like, I mean I've been doing this for thirty four years, and my end goal wasn't. Actually I understood the intention. The attention was important, so I could create the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yes, get them in the store, but show them you have something real.
Speaker 2: Right, But you're like, I want to work with that person. I want to do this project. That's what the attention is for. And so when people, I think they have to define for themselves what do they want? Do they want like white hot light and a lot of attention? But I think it's a it's a backwards approach. I think when you are saying, no, this is what I'd like to deliver, how do I do that? And fight the urge to pretend that you have anything figured out or it's perfect, because in the end that will work against you. But that means also that you have to have something actual that you're delivering. Yes, because if it's all smoking mirrors are all most steak, then you know what, go for it, like make those smash and grabs, do that thing. Yeah, bail. But if you're like, hey, I have a long story that I think I can try to deliver, then you have to. And it's listen, it's it isn't as like juicy and like wow, but it's sort of maybe sanshing your legs.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree with everything you're saying. You said that very very very well exactly. And but by the way, you're right if it's all smoking mirrors, and go do the smash and grab job, because you should know that. And that's being smart too to know that, right, you know. I mean, and there are certain people on reality television or the Jersey Shore or wherever that were like, I'm taking every penny off the floor because I don't know how long it's gonna last and that's smart. That's the sixteen minute people. Yeah, and many of them go on to have a major careers, like a poly D who is a legitimate DJ. That was smart. That's an example of someone who used the sizzle of a show where they were perceived as dopes and they aren't. And he makes millions of dollars DJing. That's somebody, and he's got all the bling and that's part of his persona. And I don't know why I've never brought up Polyd in my entire life, but I just thought of him. So that's how I am. I'm always looking at the chess board. I'm always looking at the chessboard. I'm aware of the pieces, but I want to do each thing that I'm doing in that moment. Well, like it's not that hard. It's just like you're doing a marathon and you're just like one mile a time. So you're playing volleyball and that those are the pieces you're in this on the board. But how are you looking at the chessboard and what were your moves and what was your plan and what was your luck and how did it sort of shake down that you became this known successful actress, model, slash you know, volleyball player personality really just like person in the media.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's two things. It's sort of looking and taking care of where you are at the moment. You know, in football they talk about like when the guy is catching the ball. A lot of times they'll say, the temptation is to start to run before you secure the ball. And that's a real problem, right, because you're done this before you finish taking care of that. Yeah, And so for me, it was like when you're in sport or you're in work, right, you're delivering, you have to deliver. But then there's an important thing I believe is that you look up into the future and you sort of say one year, three years, five years, who am I now? But who am I also thinking I'm becoming? So I don't get stuck here. And because all that takes so much time, right, Like to build any business takes years and years to start new projects, they just take time. So I think for me, I always have the knack of not being identified by the thing only that I was doing, and not being afraid to not be that any longer. But to say, well, who else do I think I would like to be in this life and and lean into the things that naturally were appealing to me, not forced, not like oh why I should do business now, that's stupid. So I just always did that. And you said an important word, which is luck. I think it's always important to acknowledge that you can do great jobs and be strategic and be you know, dialed in, but you are also receiving a bit you know, the fairy dust and the grace, and that is part of it. But it's it's being strategic, not getting spit out of a situation. Like I'm retired now from volleyball, looking up and going what do I want to do? That's too late. You have to do it sooner and sort of think, oh, well, what would be interesting? And I always say to people, people want to help you more when you're in something than when you're done with something.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, whether it's dating or getting a job. If you're dating somebody, if you want to date you you have a job, you can get five jobs. You have nothing, you're sitting home. It's energy that feels to me like the energy you're putting out there. It's like the waves. You're a husband's a surfer, I don't know if you're a surfer too, but like when that set a wave comes, you got to ride every single one, get exhausted because you might get caught in the impact zone and you can't get out, you can't get in, You're just like stuck. Yeah, so it's good to just yeah, that's so interesting. What about age now and being at a different point than you were then and a woman and vanity and what is that thing that you want to be now? You know, Like, what are you saying now, Oh, that's what I want to do or be or evolve into.
Speaker 2: I want to be. And I don't mean this in the literal sense, but yet in some ways I do. It's like be a boss, you know, Like I used to joke, you know, we have two businesses. We have a food company and learn super Food and we have a training XPTE. And so I joke because I've got these young, very talented, very intelligent male sort of program directors, really smart guys, maybe their mid thirties, and I'm like, what's interesting for me from my point of view in my early fifties besides the fact that I'm also in a relationship where I'm interested if laired desires me and the rest it doesn't matter. But let's just say it's like, oh, it doesn't matter if you want to procreate with me, because like I'm your boss, right, So it's like it's taking I heard it in a quote. There's a time that you're sort of like a warrior, a hands on the boots on the ground, and that could be in anything as a young woman, as a young male, and there's a time to try to move into a leadership and wizard like be the wizard, right, And so I think for me, it's sort of saying there's a lot of ways to contribute. And when we're younger, we sort of think we're supposed to show up and be perfect and be pretty and do all these things, and that might be part of it, but I feel like if we develop skill sets that we bring our values and experiences and other things. So what I look at it is, obviously, I'm taking care of my family, so I have that role, which is critical, but it's also going how am I going to continue to contribute as who I am, not who I've been, and not be afraid of that. And I feel like the women that can do that, especially when we talk about vanity. It's not that it can be liberating, and it doesn't mean I don't have mornings in the mirror where I'm like, holy shit, what's going on. But it's also about yes, and I am a lot of things. I don't have to just show up with my pretty you know, a high butt and like perfect skin. And having said that, if I take really good care of myself, I feel okay, right.
Speaker 1: I think that it's liberating to I mean, I've never I don't have a vein bone in my body. I just never have. But I find it liberating to get older and just really accept age. And it takes a lot of pressure off. So many people feel so much pressure about it. I feel so much less pressure. Like here we are, there's no competing with anybody young. I'm not trying to be anybody. I'm not. You'd, like you said, you want to be as healthy as possible and look as good as possible. Yeah, but I don't know. There's just a piece to it. But what you said before about being a boss and sort of having a different skill set and different wisdom as you get older, it's also you're probably better utilized coming from a place of knowledge and wisdom and experience than being in the weeds as a warrior. It has nothing to do with hierarchy, and it just has to do with where you're better. You've been, You've been through the other side. I mean you're not, you know, not all the way. You don't know everything, but you've been through it. So and it happens to me every day that I'm in weeds that I absolutely should not be in. I talk about it. My whole book, Businesses Personal is about this. I'm in weeds I should not be in every day, and getting out of them is endless. It's like it's like killing every roach in Manhattan. It just won't happen. But I'm better served being delegating, organizing, executing, being the connector communicator. And I'm sure you are as well, having been through so much, but there's.
Speaker 2: Always new things to learn. So it's like, in a way, it's like the willingness to be in the keep being in different weeds that feed the purpose so that we can keep you know, then we're sort of understanding. I love the quote, you know we don't live in the world we were born into. It's like, then, at least we're not out of completely out.
Speaker 1: Of Yes, that's true too. Yeah, it's like this, that's.
Speaker 2: Part of like, you know, where do I use my time best? But also, hey, I'll stay a student and open minded and flexible so I can also live in the in the world.
Speaker 1: That's now, So you're a business part you have two businesses you just mentioned. They're both obviously very on brand because they're about health and fitness. So you and your husband, who I realize now that your partners with, have stayed true to the core. So if someone says what do you do, you say, I guess you say, I was a model professional volleyball player, and I have two businesses and these business and a partners and my husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if someone says what do you do? I think you know, I've learned this a long time. When you talk about identity, even Laird talks about this. I'm laired and one of the things I do is surf, not I'm a surfer right, Because I also think that objectivity is very empowering. So I think when people say, hey, what do you do, I say, hey, I used okay, I used to be a professional athlete, and I have, you know, a few businesses. I'm an entrepreneur and other jobs I have is I'm a parent and I'm a wife and other things. But I actually try to create distance a little bit so that wherever I am that just being like me, Gabby is sort of feels enough.
Speaker 1: Like a person and without having that all be your identity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's that's really a that thing can kick. That can really I think kick your butt.
Speaker 1: It's like being a child star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like, and you need to tell everybody, like, oh I do this, I do that. Sometimes I just show up and I'm like, Hi, I'm Gabby, and like can have that discovery if it's natural and right, that's great.
Speaker 1: Well, right, I'm a housewive. I was on the Real Housewives. So it's my whole the rest of my life. It's all I've ever done in my life. So your partners with your husband in both businesses, so you're a business person and what percentage? First of all, what's harder being a professional athlete or being an entrepreneur?
Speaker 2: You know, that's interesting, I think obviously for different reasons, there's something really straightforward about athletics that is not the case. And like, if I work a little harder, usually in sport, I could get a little better and make gains. And you know, it's not personal. The person across the net is either better than you that day or they're not. I think in business there's so many nuances and personalities. And again we talked about the good luck and good timing, so I think business and also it's a big learning curve. So you know, with our food company, I mean, like I said, we, I mean that company went public in September of twenty so we have real grown ups in that business. You know, you're still we're highly involved, but also now you have like real support, real CFOs, real CEOs versus. When we started, it was three of us and you're just kind of dancing around doing hustling.
Speaker 1: Well wait, so it's late and I've seen the distribution. You have good distribution. And I did not even know that it was you. I thought it for a second. Yeah, but I said, oh, like I thought and threw it away because it's Apple. The computer and the fruit don't have to be the same thing, so I thought it. But it is on brand now that I think of it. I saw it in the Whole Foods. Yeah, and it's what the like the superfood creamers and things like that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a vegan creamer and there's other products as well. But you know, even that like having meetings with food scientists and talking about ingredients and there's things like this in food, which is fascinating. You can put so little of something into something that you don't even have to put it on label.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: It's literally having these conversations like no, we don't do that, and it makes everything harder. Yes, So it's it's been a learning on so many loves, you know, like what's the tokall for all? Okay? You know it's like really getting into it and saying what hill will I die on? And then when you let and then parts of the business that you go, no, you guys, do what you want with that part of the business. The only thing that we're the gatekeeper of is ingredients and also the sort of attitude or marketing tone of the business culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well but the ingredients are very hard. I've been through that, because it's cute to make something in your kitchen, but then to keep it shelf stable and get distribution and you know, compete, and then people wonder why you have certain things and things and you're just like, because you can't hate the player, hate the game, and I can't sell this on a farm stand. Yeah, and scale it. So that's challenging. And for you who's a real health person, that must be challenging.
Speaker 2: You just don't make certain things, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 2: We treat we're on a big platform that we're acting like is a farm stand. And that's yeah, those are some of our guardrails. And that's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: I like it. So how much of it do you own? You will have to say these things.
Speaker 2: So it's public, Oh, I believe we are top four or five owner.
Speaker 1: You can say you feel like it's a big success.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting is the sale. Year over year, sales increase forty five percent. We're getting our ass handed to us right now on the stock market. I think, like a lot of companies, Okay, you know these are challenging, but our sales are up. We were vertically integrated at two and a half years in before we went public, we had our own factory. Our co founder, who is our CEO, was very smart, so we had a factory pretty early. So there's certain things that because of the co founder with us that we made good decisions being vertically integrated. But listen, it's it's not easy. It's like you have six employees, then you have one hundred and twenty employees, and then you know, dealing with we only co pack one type of propit. We don't do liquid in our factory, so just even that like getting delayed and you know cold chain and all that. So it's again, the business is doing very very well. Sixty percent of our business is online and sixty percent of that business is direct with us, So there's subscicion models, there's all that stuff. So there's a really great things. But you know, it's uncomfortable to be a small, publicly traded business at times.
Speaker 1: Ah, And do you regret doing that or not at all? Like is that was it a great decision? Was the only decision? Was it a Sophie's choice? Like what about that decision? That business decision? Because I hear mixed about it all the time and you have to let go and some of you're too emotional about things. So I'm just wondering about that decision.
Speaker 2: You know, I think because we put the guardrails in about the products themselves, the ingredients for real. That it gives me great comfort because otherwise, you know, now you have a board and everyone's talking about margins and all these things. So I think that the fact that that's very well protected. But there's the pros and cons of both. For sure, I'm not going to be as like sometimes you know, you do it and I show some validity about your business and you know how you operate. But then there's times you're like, I wish we were private, that we could just pivot, you know, and it just doesn't work like that.
Speaker 1: Right, it does work like that, And it sounds like your knee deep in it though, like you're full on in it. It takes a lot, right, it seems insane, Like I don't think I could I have such a crazy business and it has I have like thirty categories and I'm in it, but I don't know if I if that would be for me per se, I'm not sure, Like dealing with so many voices in the room and so many cooks in the kitchen and what how do you so you're have so many questions. So you and your husband are partners, and you've made the choice in your life to be life partners and business partners so what like and all your businesses. It's not like you're just in one cute thing that you did together, one little real estate flip. Like you're knee deep invested in this partnership not relationship. That's different. But how is that that? I'm not being cliche about it, like I really want to know what the hell that is.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been twenty you know, twenty six years I've been with Laird, and I think what it was is that we have different strengths, and again out of necessity because we were on these small platforms, there were certain things like in the beginning of his for example, it's like nobody knows what you're doing out there, so we have to tell stories about that so people can actually even see what you're doing. So I think it's like a progression of well, let's tell that story because people can't buy a ticket and go watch it.
Speaker 1: So okay, And that was you. You were helping him with that. You were sort of the producer while he was the talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I had to do that with my work. You know, like I'm younger than him, but in that way, I was a little bit older. By the way, is a hundred times better at his sport than I ever was at my sport.
Speaker 1: But that's a different story. He's an animal. I mean I watched riding giants. I said, I think I always say, which is crazy. I met him and I don't know if you were there in montak one time at the surflage, uh huh. I always say he has to be the greatest athlete of all time. And my reasoning is, you're in a race car, you're in a car, you're you know, you're you're on the ski mountain. Yes, there could be an avalanche, but the snow is standing still. The ocean could just decide what it's doing. There could be a shark or a thing or whatever, Like the ocean is a wild beast of an ana animal. It's crazy. And I know that that guy said he had a third testicle, but that's just like trite and funny, but like, holy shit, that's crazy. So I guess maybe you're right. I mean, you're an amazing athlete, but only because he's an animal in the wild like that. That's just crazy. It's not controlled. So maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: Yes, And also he's you know, this is a person who's skill set has met their destiny right. And also there's other athletes like Laird that take on these things and the elements that are are very challenging. But I always thought we could help each other. I could help him because in a way, when someone is on a mission and it's like so pure, that part of me was like, I can get behind that.
Speaker 1: His mission was so pure you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's dedicated that. I was like I could totally get behind that. And Laird is a very present person. So as a husband and as a father, he's wow. As intense as he is about the ocean, he directs that energy and it feels good, like you don't even know of it. You're like, okay, cool, like why not, We're good, you know, and so and it just was a natural flow, like he's good. He's very creative, like he's very good at certain things that it's we're different. So I think we just naturally fell into really different roles and you know, sort of details land on my side and sort of the bigger thing and layered is the genuine motor of like I like this. I've been drinking this for two years. It seems to work good for me. And then all the time. It's very literal and really creative. So I think we're really fortunate. We just have to be careful to not let everything bleed over. Everything like laying in your bed with your pet on your talking about bullshit.
Speaker 1: Well yeah you know, Yeah, that's structure. That's like discipline too, But you have that because you know how to be disciplined. Both of you do, but sometimes we don't. Yeah no, because it's well, when there's a crisis, you got to deal with it. It's great that you too have the entirely different skill sets use each other. You could be a great partnership and a team. And that's I guess. You have to find people around you that are really good at different things, so that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And values and values. I think the thing is that your values are always lined up, yes, even if you arrive different. Yes, And how you want to treat people, how you view money, how you view your health, whatever it is. I think the success comes when you go, hey, listen, you're totally different than me, and your strengths are different, but our values are similar enough that in there we're really we're really locked in.
Speaker 1: Well. I think people get so enticed by hiring talented people, smart people, charismatic people, charming people or working with and it's impossible to you can't. There's no price on loyalty and hard work and a person being a good person, you know like that, you just know that they're maybe as good coming in, you know, as if they decided to move on, and that's a big deal. So I think that that's good in partnership too.
Speaker 2: And representation. I think people have to be careful when you talk about, you know, corporate culture. Everyone is representing you know, if it's your business, you and so who's out there interfacing with the world on your behalf. So I think that that's where the value thing is important.
Speaker 1: Sports versus business. It sounds like the discipline and the ladder of sports is almost like it's almost like a physical and emotional corporate ladder. Like you know, the road for the most part, go to or go to school, go to law school, go to word. What you guys are doing with being entrepreneurs, you really have to navigate. It's more like surfing. I really do think it's a lot like surfing because you have to hit it when it's hot, calm down and sit back when it's not and just wait, and that's and it's very interesting and invigorating. What about just having a successful relationship, meaning I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's lasted decade, So that's by my definition successful. It's a partnership that has lasted decades. So what are your greatest takeaways from that, things that you really grab onto when the shit hits the fan.
Speaker 2: It's in a way very simple in a way. Well, first of all, I would like to say I think it started with a lot of chemistry. And I don't mean like, oh you know, I don't mean just sexual chemistry. I mean like as people. I think we have this with our friends. There's just people you have a chemistry with. I would say that we started with a lot of chemistry, which I do think is important and it's that intangible, right, So start there. Then you have one thing both Laird and I do, and we've done more as we've gotten older, is I'm only in charge of myself and how I want to come into this relationship. And so like, for example, let's say Laird was in a not be deciding to be nice, which isn't usually often, but he's an intense person. Whatever. I always say that if he's making that choice, I don't go, well, if you're acting like that, go down. It's like, I'm living by my code, which is I'm here to be nice and kind to you and make your life better. And what I find is that when we stick to that and Laird does that himself, that it's like everybody gets forced to the high bar. Right, Nobody's like, well, don't talk to me like that. And the other thing that is is the truth of it is, is both of us have enough kind We're both just sort of intense enough, heavy duty enough that there's this weird checks and balance all the time where Laard's like, I'm operating here and I'm going to show up and that makes me go, shit, I got to operate up here because I got a partner that's showing up every single day doing their best. So I always encourage people like, listen, it's on you. And if your partner after a while decides that they don't want to step up, there's nothing you can do about that.
Speaker 1: Right, you're playing tennis with a better tennis player. And it's really funny that you said that because I always tell Paul, my fiance, the relationship advice if I like it that people have said and everybody says something totally different. One person said something in a different way, and it was Paul. One of Paul's favorite things, which was which is effectively what you just said. It's just a different way. He said, I don't work on you. I work on myself. I don't work on her. And that's great. There's no you. You did this you, it's me. And it's funny because I was bickering with my daughter a little where you know, they nag you three times, then you snap, Then you feel bad you snapped. Then you're wrong even though they were wrong, you know. And I was talking to a therapist and he said basically the Michelle Obama quote, which effectively is what you were just saying, Like if someone goes low, you go high, I meaning if she gets escalated escalated, I just stay here instead of taking it to the next level. And I thought that was great. And and my fiance always says wants and needs, like there are wants, there are things that I want that I would desire and would love, but my needs these are the deal. But these are the things that this is the line. And that is kind of great because you may have not been working on them. You're working on yourself. But there are things, yes, and that's that's that's that's the line.
Speaker 2: And it's a small that part is a small.
Speaker 1: List, right, like yeah, can't be big and you there.
Speaker 2: That also gives you the power to let so many things go, just like, Okay, I'm sure for larr like I'm in my head a lot, like I'm very analytical and he's very heart centered. So he's like all out there with his feelings and sometimes I'm like, oh, he talks louder and I'm sure he's like this chick's always in her head like where is she? So I think, but we can let those things go because the five things that have to that are set like whatever, honesty, blah blah blah whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, loyal whatever it is. Yes, I agree.
Speaker 2: There, And that's also part of being a grown up because if you think someone's going to show up, it's like my friend was saying, oh, you know, my husband, he's talking about this stuff and I don't even care about it, and I go, you care about You're interested in him, So you're interested in what he's talking about. And by the way, he's not interested in everything you're talking about either and she was used to her. I'm like, yes, like what you know, this is? This is we just let it go, like, don't worry, it's not a big deal. It's not. And that's why it's important though, to be productive and have things you're interested in so that you don't focus on your partner filling those needs. That's us to do wherever it is. And I think a certain amount of delivery of boundaries right, like I'm not a big Oh you better not do that and freak out. I'll just put my hand on Laired' shoulder. I think he's kind of being not cool and just be like try to remember like I'm on your team and I walk.
Speaker 1: Away your Paul in my relationship, I'm Laired your Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just why do I set the boundary?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here to make a.
Speaker 2: Big drama, but I also will stand up for myself like, hey, you know what, like I don't know what's going on, but you can figure it out. I'm here if you want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, that's so fun. I'm literally you and I would be a great lesbian couple because your Paul in my relationship, like that's exactly Paul. He's like, I know that's not great, and I don't love the way that feels and the way that makes me feel. So like we're getting to a point now and then I'll just get checked and like the caller has been snapped, but nothing really happened. There's not an argument.
Speaker 3: It's just like okay, no, And it's really I think couples, if you can find that that language with each other, I think it really helps avoid a lot.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I never I think the other thing that's helpful is it's about let's resolve it. I'm not interested in getting into a hassle. It's like I think sometimes people have extra energy, and so.
Speaker 1: They're like, I I know that's great about getting older. Arguing seems like such, you do shrapnel. It literally does damage. So like, let's just not take the car that hot, like we don't need to. That's so true.
Speaker 2: People have energy, yes, find something, exercise, do something, put it because we all have it. It's natural totally. Just let's direct it to something that's going to actually give us something positive back.
Speaker 1: Not very interesting, my therapist said. People when they get together, their expectations get together. But as you get older, like your expectations get married or get engaged or whatever it is. As you get older, it's the realities that you have to deal with, Like, this is the reality, not the We're gonna be together and be best friends forever and we're gonna order the same food and we like the same things, and you like to go golf and I'm going to watch you and go and I care about sports on Sunday and wings and all the bullshit that shakes down after reality sets in and then like the relate realities have to you know, be partners as you are. But that's so inspiring. Wow, Okay, so what else are you working on? Entertainment? One's like do you have to do? How do you be the talent and you're being the CEO and you have to promote all these things that you're doing or are you're not feeling the pressure.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 2: I I'm always you know, I'm Jim Quick, the guy who helps you learn to read quicker and he's no pun intended. He said that we all have like a question in our mind that we're asking all the time, like when we're in situations and what my question? He goes, you know what your questions are. I go, oh, I know what my question is. My question is always what's the point? And how what's the right thing like to do? Write those two quess in that order. So I generally, you know, I always say, sometimes you're the farmer and the flower. It's like, sometimes you have to go out there. I do. You know, I have a podcast because you know, one of the things I did, even when I was playing volleyball, and that's actually how I met layers. I interviewed people because I always liked the being on the other side and learning and showcasing other people, and so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. But as far as, like you know, going out there and promoting myself and doing all of that, it's like, only when it's necessary, right, I get it. I do get it, because you know, this is very harsh, But there's a part of me that when you learn when you're younger, it's like when people say, oh, this will be good exposure, Okay, well that means nothing and also cool, but if this is your work, how do you monetize that exposure? So exactly, so for me, I'm like exposure for what so people oh yeah, don't know you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for relevance. No, you're gonna monetize. You're gonna go and you're gonna implement and integrate layered super food. You're right there, you'll hold a volleyball like it was yesterday. But just to sit down and be more famous and relevant. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Speaker 2: No, So it's just it's still came that fire enough, so those opportunities are there and then okay, we've got this project. We're going to go a little more gas on that fire. But for me, it's it's and it's also really an important thing to have a healthy relationship with because it's unsustainable and so rather than being like ooh, I've always tried to actually have distance from that, and it actually helps to be with a person who when I met Laired in the mainstream, I was more known, and certainly Laird has become more known and that's been really healthy because it's like a total in house check and see if like what that game.
Speaker 1: Is and right, you're still experiencing it because whether it's him or you, you're that beast is in your house and I fully get it.
Speaker 2: You're also getting like checked. It's like Oh yeah, no, you go, I'm here to support you, like rock on, you know. So it's like a weird thing where you can stick in and out of it. And that's why I like making content or making things, because I get satisfaction by that even more than like, look at me.
Speaker 1: It's like it's the cake and the frosting. You're back to the cake and the frosting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want my friends and family to love me and be excited about me. And it's not to say, and you've experienced this when you go someplace and people go, hey, I really appreciated this or that. That feels good. Of course, of course it does. But I just think it's about having a healthy relationship with it. And you know, I want to say one other thing too about relationships. One thing that is also really helpful is when you can find the ways to have distance from your partner, to look at them and to feel grateful or sort of appreciate those traits about that person, because it's so easy for it to all kind of land on top of you and you don't know what's cool or sexy about them anymore. But one thing is sometimes if they can keep that space a little and be like, Wow, I feel really fortunate because that vibrates back to them and then they feel like, Wow, this person is actually excited or interested to be with me, and I think that gets a really good positive feedback loop. So I just wanted to say that too.
Speaker 1: I love that you said that too. I feel like we have these like weird colliding elements that I would never predicted because I'm in a long distance relationship. In the beginning, I'm used to being the twenty five year old that just thought we're going to be one person and have a ride into the sunset, and I've failed so many times. So to be in a relationship it's long distance, which was always challenging because the hell are we talking about? And if you like the way you were talking before about curating your own version of relevance and fame, the way that it works for you, if you really lean into the fact that you're saying, I get quality time with my daughter, I get quality time with my partner, quality time alone, and then all of us together, and then get to be alone by myself, which is even making I've been making a bigger priority because there was no myself. There was my daughter, my work, my partner, there was no me. But all of that makes you so excited to do all those things. Meaning, Paul will be here tomorrow after I have a photoshoot, and I'm excited to go on a date. But if we were together every single day, it'd be we'd be sick of each other's bullshit. Possibly like so, I'm I'm liking this new relationship with the distance we both are. It took growth because you're used to the images of what a relationship is supposed to be versus not the expectations what it actually is. That's why I've said that before. It's interesting, So that's another grade. No, you're very good at conversation, so you must be very good at your podcast. What is it called and where does it live?
Speaker 2: It's very original. It's called The Gabby Reese Show, and you know everywhere that podcasts are, and you know this is also being very These are the things that I am. I'm not a control freak, but the things I'm sticky on is how am I depicting things? And so I do talk about very high level scientific things, mental health things, all of these things, and high performance, but I try to do it at a third grade level because I do, like, you know, sort of sharp end of the stick information and I try to live a high performance life. But my thing is people who do that, they're already covered. How do we get all that information?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for people that they don't have time to figure this out and sort of you know, break it down for them. And I really also enjoy the learning myself for sure.
Speaker 1: My friend told me about this website that maybe, you know, I have to look it up and maybe I'll get you after. But it's something online where you're basically doing that Mayo clinic of it all online. Do you know what I'm talking about? Like you send in your blood and everything and then you go on this journey and she's doing with her husband and she says it's amazing and different supplements and they both have obviously totally Maybe is.
Speaker 2: It inside Tracker? Yes, yeah, they do an excellent They do an excellent job because also you can go deeper, deeper, deeper.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go do that. Excellent, got it? Okay, Well this was incredible. If there's anything you wanted to oh, just your rose and thorn of your career, just your rose and thorn.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, that's interesting. I don't know. I think the rose is the opportunity to keep doing new things. Quite frankly, the fact that you can have a job that you like, that you wanted to do that for me, I'm never unclear, is a real gift, you know this, And then I think thorn is just I've had it. I just want people lie to me or steal for me. That's never something that feels good, you know. As far as wins and losses on courts, courts, that's not really you know, that's just part.
Speaker 1: Of it, right, got it? Yeah, Well you're very interesting and very deep. It was an amazing conversation. I'm so grateful, so thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And continued success and everything you're doing.
Speaker 1: Likewise, you too, Aloha. I feel like a broken record, and I apologize if I am. Just when you have someone come on, you have nothing, You don't know anything about them. You know that she's tall, beautiful, a volleyball player, a model. You know, you just never know what to expect. I can't tell you how amazing that conversation was. It was enriching, it was educational, it was inspiring, it was so great, so great. That was incredible. I'm just like, really really excited. That was a great, great discussion. What a cool woman, what a down to earth person. Wow. I didn't even get to talk to her about her kids. I talked a little bit about Laird. He's amazing too. Just God, I want to get to know her more. That was fantastic, So thank you for listening. I hope you loved it as much as I did. Rate, review, and subscribe. We keep rocking on. I'm so excited and have a wonderful day.