Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Center. It's America's only sorts for news. It's the Daily Joke with your host My gold Cob.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Daily Show. I'm Michael Constat.
Speaker 3: We've got so much news to cover tonight. Americans google their symptoms, Trump throws an abortion policy reveal, party, and student debt must have some bad tweets because it just got canceled.
Speaker 1: So let's get into the headlines. Let's kick things off with.
Speaker 3: Yesterday's solar eclipse, when people across the continent came together to have their wallets stolen while they were distracted by space. Hopefully everyone wore the correct safety glasses so they didn't catch COVID from the sun. But even if you did wear them, you still might have a solar hangover.
Speaker 4: Google Trends reports shows some of the eclipse watchers may not have been using proper eye protection. The company says it's aw spike in searches of my eyes hurt following the solar eclipse on Monday.
Speaker 1: My eyes hurt. That's not even a question.
Speaker 3: That just sounds like people were complaining to their computer, my eyes hurt.
Speaker 1: Google, get some friends losers.
Speaker 3: By the way, I hate that Google uses our searches to monitor trends. That's why you got to throw up some fake searches. Every day I'll put in my eyes hurt plus something random like hockey skates edible, just to throw it off. But this story does say a lot about the state of our healthcare system. Back in the day, if you had eye pain, call up your family doctor and he'd tell you to smoke more cigarettes. Nowadays, you have to wait six weeks to get an appointment with your hyeh doctor, or you can go online and immediately find out that the eclipse glasses gave you autism. Look, the good news is, for most people, the pain is probably a harmless case of eyestrain. You'll be fine because those glasses were made from the same high tech, advanced material.
Speaker 1: As the birthday crown they give you at Burger Camp.
Speaker 3: Now, speaking of looming shadows over America, let's move on to gun violence. America treats its gun problem the way a dog treats a new baby, by hoping that if we ignore it, it'll disappear. But at this point, any progress, no matter how small, would be better than the status quo, and now a legal verdict might have set an important precedent breaking today.
Speaker 5: For the first time in the United States, parents whose son killed four teenagers will themselves spend ten to fifteen years in prison. The Crumbley's provided unrestricted access to the gun, ignored their son's fiery mental health problems, and enabled his actions by ignoring all of the warning signs.
Speaker 6: School staff testify the parents were called to the school and urged to get Ethan psychological help.
Speaker 3: Just hours before the shooting, but the Crumble's refuse to take them home.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: For the first time ever, parents are going to be liable for their kids' school shooting, which honestly makes sense to me. You know, we already blame the parents for a lot less. When a teenager throws a loud party, we blame the parents, or when a kid has a stupid haircut, we blame the parents. We should blame the parents when a kid shoots up a school. And why stop with the parents. The grandparents raise those parents, so throw them in prison to in fact, go all the way up the family tree. You know, great grandparents, great great grandparents, exhuom all the bodies and put them in a special ghost jail. And yeah, and if you're thinking, wait, wait, wait, wait, we have to build ghost prisons now, wouldn't it be more reasonable just to regulate guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I agree either way.
Speaker 3: Either way, after hearing what these parents did, I don't ever want to hear again that I'm a bad parent just for giving my kid an iPad.
Speaker 1: Okay, the worst thing my kid.
Speaker 3: Is going to do is go to school and talk in a Peppa Pig accent all day. Let's move on to some presidential news in our ongoing coverage of Indecision twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: If you're like.
Speaker 3: Most young Americans, you have thousands of dollars of college debt after getting your degree in TikTok gender studies. Thankfully, President Joe Biden is here to help.
Speaker 7: President Biden unveiled his latest effort to free up more Americans who are bogged down by student debt. The plan, announced during a visit to Wisconsin includes debt cancelation for those who now owe more than they borrowed because of runaway interest.
Speaker 8: You plan to deliver up to twenty thousand dollars in interest relief to over twenty million barrows.
Speaker 3: WHOA yeah, WHOA, that's a nice forgiveness. Speaking of it, interesting that they call this student debt forgiveness as though the student did something wrong.
Speaker 1: We forgive you for being a poor, broke bitch.
Speaker 3: But as long as mine's paying off student loans, how about paying off the other debt college kids in Kerr. You know, my buddy Greg never got me back from that time I spotted him for the seadew rental in Panama City. Where's my check, Joe? But this is a reminder that college is too expensive. Tuition, room and board, books, a computer to create a social network that'll one day ruin democracy.
Speaker 1: It adds up.
Speaker 3: Now some critics are saying that this student loan forgiveness is just a cynical bride by Joe to give young pep but what they want, so they vote for.
Speaker 1: Him, and they're right.
Speaker 3: It's an ancient tactic called politics, and Joe Biden better hope it works because he really really needs young people.
Speaker 8: In the twenty twenty NBC News exit poll, candidate Biden led former President Trump by twenty four percentage points among voters under thirty at an NBC survey in January, and President Biden up by just eight percentage points among that group. Another pole last month showed mister Trump a head by eighteen points among voters under thirty. Are you excited to vote for President Biden?
Speaker 1: I would personally say no, I'm excited to vote for someone that's not Trump, but I wouldn't say that it is. I'm excited for Biden.
Speaker 3: O man, Joe Biden is in trouble, the most liberal city in a critical swing state, and it's college students around the fence. I'm excited to vote for anyone besides Trump.
Speaker 1: How about Joe Biden?
Speaker 3: No, So the big question is will this new plan work to help us? Ants that question, we go live to our own. Josh Johnson.
Speaker 2: Josh, yeah, Josh, you've been talking to young voters.
Speaker 3: What do they think of Joe Biden's student loan cancelation.
Speaker 1: I'll be blunt, Michael. They think it's bullshit. Okay.
Speaker 9: Young voters have deep principal problems with the Biden administration. He has failed us on climate change, social justice, and immigration, and the way he eats ice cream is nasty. These are serious failures they need to be addressed. Young people don't want to bribe. They want a leader who will secure our future. Biden is not going to paper over these foundational shortcomings by promising us twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, what if he offered twenty five thousand dollars? Yeah, we'll take it. Okay, see yeah, yeah, but that was easy. That was too easy. Josh, what about twenty one thousand?
Speaker 9: Hell no, you're going to offer money on the matters of principle?
Speaker 3: What twenty four thousand deal? Twenty two fifty twenty three?
Speaker 9: Here we go, Joe, build back better baby.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, he already has the money. Jons Johnson.
Speaker 3: Everybody, when we come back, we'll talk about Donald Trump's latest election strategy.
Speaker 1: Don't go away? O Wait a second?
Speaker 8: What what?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the day of the show.
Speaker 3: As we all know, there's an ongoing battle in America about who should decide on abortion.
Speaker 1: Should it be women, should it be should it be Congress?
Speaker 3: Well, today Arizona is saying, how about men from the Civil War era?
Speaker 10: Arizona going back to the Civil War era for their abortion laws. The Arizona Supreme Court ruling the state must comply with a one hundred sixty year old law barring all abortions, the only exception to save a well pregnant woman's life with no exceptions for rape, no exceptions for incest.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, this is crazy. Boo boo, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: Is Arizona really using an abortion law from the eighteen sixties. Back then, there wasn't even a test to become a doctor. It was just a gross guy saying I love looking at scabs.
Speaker 1: I want to be a doctor. It's like, and it's not just abortion.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't be using any civil war law at least every hundred years.
Speaker 1: We should just do a review of all the laws. You know, guys, we're still against murder, all right, Great?
Speaker 3: Moving on, All post offices have mandatory horse ties.
Speaker 1: No scrap that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, But this is the kind of thing women have been facing ever since Roe v. Wade was killed by the Supreme Court. And while many Republicans would like the whole country to look like Arizona, Donald Trump, the guy who appointed those Supreme Court justices, is now trying to position himself as a moderate on abortion.
Speaker 11: Now of the race for the White House. After months of questions, former President Donald Trump today revealing his position on abortion, declining to call for a national ban, saying he would.
Speaker 8: Leave it up to the states.
Speaker 12: The states will determine by vote or legislation, or perhaps both, and whatever they decide must be the law of the land, in this case, the law of the state. At the end of the day, this is all about the will of the people.
Speaker 3: Elsewhere in the video, Trump expressed support for IVF and abortion exceptions for rape incests and when the life of the mother.
Speaker 1: Is at risk.
Speaker 12: I strongly support the availability of IVF for couples who are trying to have a precious baby.
Speaker 3: Did he just say precious baby? Sarcastically? Congrats on your bundle of joy? Not the main point here, But that's more spray tan than usual.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 3: Your first thought when you see someone's face should never be is a cake. But more importantly, yes, Donald Trump now says that states should choose their own abortion laws, although I don't know why that's considered a moderate position. As a reasonable man, I think only some women should be forced to give birth against their will, depending on which state they live in. It's called common sense. Honestly, I'm just shocked Trump came out in support of IVF. I expected him to be like, if your loser husband can't get it done, give me a call, I'll be in and out two minutes. And by the way, Trump isn't just trying to position himself as a moderate on abortion. He also wants to portray the Democrats as the real extremists.
Speaker 12: It must be remembered that the Democrats are the radical ones on this position because they support abortion up to and even beyond the ninth month, and even accution after birth. And that's exactly what it is. The baby is born, the baby is executed after birth is unacceptable, and almost everyone agrees with that.
Speaker 3: Come on, dude, Democrats don't execute babies after birth. They they send them to Hillary so she can harvest their organs. Seriously, that's such an obvious lie. Nobody wants to execute babies now when they're three or four and they're talking all day in a goddamn Pepa pig accent. Well, then you might find some execution support. But of course you might be wondering. Has this always been Donald Trump's position on abortion? Well, in a way, it has, and that Donald Trump has had every position on abortion.
Speaker 13: I'm very pro choice.
Speaker 12: I am pro choice in every respect.
Speaker 7: Trump says he has since changed his thinking and has now quote one hundred percent pro life.
Speaker 1: I am pro life. Do you believe in punishment? Abortion? Yes or no? Is a principle.
Speaker 12: The answer is that there has to be some form of punishment for the woman. Yeah, there has to be some form.
Speaker 6: Within three hours, Trump did a ONET eighty. If abortion were illegal, his campaign wrote, the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman.
Speaker 12: It will go back to the States, and the States will then make a determination.
Speaker 8: It could be.
Speaker 12: Stated or it could be federal.
Speaker 8: I don't frankly care.
Speaker 12: We're also seeking passage of the twenty week abortion bill. The number of weeks now people are agreeing on fifteen, and I'm thinking in terms of that.
Speaker 1: I know you're opposed to abortion, I'm pro choice. Your pro choice or pro life. I'm pro life.
Speaker 10: I'm saying pro life.
Speaker 3: And people claim Biden has memory issues. Trump's like, remind me what my principled stand is. I'm one of the biggest issues in this country. This guy has truly been all over.
Speaker 1: The place on abortion.
Speaker 3: I feel like his positions change based on which of his kids as he saw last you know, Ivanka, pro life, Eric and Don mandatory abortion. Now, now the Cynics might say that Trump is just taking whatever position on abortion is most helpful to him, But how dare they? Okay, I believe these are genuine changes of heart. It's not like Trump is coming right out and saying he's trying to win the election.
Speaker 12: You must follow your heart of this issue. But remember you must also win elections. We must win.
Speaker 8: We have to win.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I guess he is saying it. I should probably watch these clips before I host the show. But look, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the right to life you can compromise on, but the right to an election, well, that's Trump's precious baby. Now, when we come back, Alex Garland will be joining me on the show, so don't go away.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Van Show.
Speaker 3: My guest, and I is an award winning writer and director whose new film is called Civil War.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Alex Garland.
Speaker 3: I know about it, this.
Speaker 1: Guy, Wow, thank you for coming. I loved your film. The whole thing is intense.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of assumptions about the film just based on the trailer. You wrote it, you directed it. What do you want to tell us about Civil War?
Speaker 13: You mean, how do I want to send it.
Speaker 3: People heard Civil War and they saw the trailer and they immediately went, you know, it was it's this, and it's this, and all right.
Speaker 13: What I want to do is make something compelling and exciting and engaging and all that stuff, but also lead to some kind of conversation, have a thought process. Not all films do that, Not all films have to do that. That's that's fine, but that's what this one is aiming for. And it's you know, it's set in a world where division and polarized politics have led to some really strange authoritarian state and the country's disintegrated.
Speaker 3: And I believe you're purposely vague about how we got here, who's fighting?
Speaker 1: Who was that? Was that? On purpose? Am I ready to assume that.
Speaker 8: Sort of?
Speaker 1: Yes? And no, I think I got for sort of.
Speaker 13: Yeah. It is very vague about some stuff, and it is very very specific about other stuff. And I think because it's vague about some things, it creates an assumption that there's an overall vagueness, But actually it's quite on point in somehow is you know that that itself is a vague statement?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you answered it.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the things that I felt so much in this film was was so many of these.
Speaker 1: American places that I love. Born and raised in America.
Speaker 3: Is the golf course, is the football stadium. And that scene we just saw, I mean, here's a sniper trying to take someone out on a golf course while Christmas music is playing in the background. I mean, it's like, holy shit. As an American, I said, I don't want this to happen. I don't want us to.
Speaker 13: Be a You shouldn't want it to happen, right, I don't want right right, I don't want it to happen either.
Speaker 1: I have to say.
Speaker 13: Also, seeing as we're talking about it, seeing as I appear to be on a television show right now, I ought to say, you are exactly it's not It really isn't just America. It's set in America, but this situation exists in my country and in many European countries, the Middle East and Asia and South America. And I chose America because everybody looks to America, right, But but the things it's talking about are quite global.
Speaker 3: As a brit was it a little bit fun watching America crush itself?
Speaker 13: No, honestly, I hate it. Yeah, by the way, to be serious, nobody on the planet, apart from psychopaths, needs disintegration in this country.
Speaker 11: They don't.
Speaker 13: Nobody on the planet wants division in this country. They want stability and decency. And yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when you're sitting on your couch at home on Twitter and we've got our political identities and there's kind of this cute.
Speaker 1: Idea of oh, we're going to a civil war, But when you.
Speaker 3: Watch your film, it's terrifying, dude, and it's like, oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, we should be having these conversations. One seen comes to mine in particular the Lincoln Memorial, right, I mean it's in the trailer, so I don't want to it gets exploded.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and don't blow it up.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And honestly, it went there as a seventh grader with my middle school and I just was like, holy shit, how would I feel if this happened. Of all the places you could have blown up in this film, and a lot of places do blow but the Lincoln Memorial, I mean, tell me why that was important to you.
Speaker 13: Well, actually, because particularly towards the end of the film, I wanted the audience, having gone through hopefully a compelling, engaging story, to suddenly feel a really strong sense of aversion, Yes, like a really deep instinctive sense of sort of being appalled.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 13: And although it was written before January the sixth, there was something about January the sixth that it was a disgrace.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 13: It was various things, but one of the things was it was a disgrace. Vot a feeling of whatever is happening, this shouldn't be happening. This just has a has like a deep wrongness, right, and this is this is a kind of this is that writ large, I suppose.
Speaker 3: And I guess it says a lot about you that you take great pleasure in giving us these things that should not be happening.
Speaker 13: There's no pleasure in it, no, No, it's it's just humility in my job that leads me to do these things.
Speaker 3: We haven't spoken about the role of the press in this film, and it's in the clip as well, but.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the center character is It's.
Speaker 13: Present because on a personal level, I'm completely over, completely over this demonization and villainization of the press. It's been happening a lot. Yeah, Yeah, it's it comes from politicians, and it comes from within social media, which is this weird public discourse space that doesn't really relate to how people talk to each other at all. We all know that, right, and in some places it happens within the press. But whatever it is, we need journalists, We need trusted journalists in it, pretty much exactly the same way we need doctors. So I'm done with this thing. And I thought, I when I was setting out to make it, someone said, don't make it about journalists. Everybody hates journalists, and I thought, this is just nuts.
Speaker 1: Just nuts.
Speaker 3: I mean, is that a leap for me to say? If we gut journalism, we lead to civil war?
Speaker 13: You know what? All right, I will be very serious. I know it's a comedy show. I'm not very good.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? I mean, I haven't.
Speaker 3: I haven't told the joke on the first two accents.
Speaker 13: So here's the thing. There's a system of checks and balances. Government has checks and balances, executive, judiciary, legislature, and then there's the fourth estate. There's journalists watching that. That's a system of checks and balance, which is not arbitrary. It's for a reason. It's guarding against something. It's guarding against something real. If you erode it, if you e roade government, if you erode the people watching the government, the thing you're guarding against me, just turn up and what is that thing? Actually? In Europe we know exactly what it looks like because fascism there came out of democracy, and a lot of fascists don't know their fascists. They kind of know it's a bad word. They don't identify as fascists. It's not a thing they know. Some do, but most don't, right, And it's actually really a state of mind that people drift into, as opposed to, you know, following some kind of swastika flag. It's not really that, and it is actually a danger.
Speaker 3: It's easy for to watch this film and the girl America, Watch out America.
Speaker 1: This civil war could be yours.
Speaker 3: But really, I think you briefly stated this isn't just the United States.
Speaker 13: We had a we had a prime minister, a guy called Boris Johnson. Sure it was interesting thing. He was manifestly a liar.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 13: It was completely obvious he was a liar. And journalists would point this out, but they didn't have any traction. It didn't do anything. It just sort of bounced off him that that was that was weird. So your country, my country, many other countries. I I wish I had a joke up my sleeve.
Speaker 1: No, you don't need a joke, I think.
Speaker 13: But you you you swore right. This is up, this is actually up. But it is dangerous, dude.
Speaker 3: I watched your film and then I got in a cab in Manhattan and I was like, I want to get the I want to go to the country right now, and just like, I mean, it is very powerful. It's an anti war film for sure. And is there a lesson I should be taking. Should I be having more conversations with people that ideologically I'm different than his?
Speaker 13: My feeding Most people are not extremists. Most people just are not. They don't really have a voice. The extremists have occupied noise. And I think the key thing to be.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for coming to chat with us, Thank you for your film. It's it's tremendous. I hope everybody sees that Civil War is in theaters in Imax nation wide April twelfth, Olin Stott, and you can take it a quick break.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back after this. You don't be a job. We can rupt. That's our show for tonight. Not here. It is your moment of zun.
Speaker 8: Give your parents an opportunity to get back to work. Well, I'll tell you what you.
Speaker 13: Want to come, make a speech or shush up.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm not messed.
Speaker 1: Well ahead, we look like he could taken.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcastow