Speaker 1: Any Swiss high.
Speaker 2: Understanding deep the center field and it's gone, Wow, his first big league swing is gonna be a grand Slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 1: Good time to look to them solve. Time to audit ourselves a little bit here on the call up, we are checking in on the breakout predictions for the American League teams. Arm Lton Jack McMullen. We are to have all thirty that we did this year is the first time that we did it going into the season where we did breakout picks for a prospect in each organization. And when we did that episode, you remember, I was like, some of these just really tough. I kind of felt like a forced one. It'll be fun to see if those aged well. Some of them did not, and I can acknowledge that a couple that were forced definitely appear to be forced in our midway check in, but we're gonna kind of get a pulse, right, We're halfway through the minor league and major league season, so a little bit more than halfway through the minor league season. We can check in on the numbers say to this point, is is it a breakout? Is it valid? Was the prediction right?
Speaker 2: Or is it not?
Speaker 1: And also kind of evaluate what went wrong or right, and then the last thing will be if it's not the guy that we picked who is breaking out in this system. I'm excited to do it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fun, man. Yeah, we can do like kind of a two parter here. We're gonna go team by team and we'll start with the American League and then pivot to the National League for part two of this. I feel like every single like every single thought that we have on the call up immediately turns into like a two parter or a three parter. So this is right on par with what we got going. But we'll go AL East, then AL Central, and AL West. And I ran you through the names and I was like, you know, I was reading you the names and you were like, Okay, which league did I nail in particular? Pretty spread out across the board, and you mentioned there are some that might be flubs, but there are others that it's like, holy smokes, you were on it, like, not to spoil it, but Nathan Fluelling with the Rays, Devin Fitzgerald with the Nationals, but there could be some tweemers as well. So really excited to get into it.
Speaker 1: That's where we're on you. It's a you got to give us the thumbs up or thumbs down. Sorry, you're the judge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on those. We'll start with the guy who is thumbs down unfortunately at this point, but you have to judge him a little bit differently. We'll start with the Toronto Blue Jays. Your breakout pick was Juan Sanchez, a teenager. Juan Sanchez an eighteen year old from the Dominican Republic playing a lot of shortstop right now, playing a lot of third base as well.
Speaker 1: In the DSL.
Speaker 3: In fifty six games in twenty twenty five, he had an OPS over one thousand, He hit three forty, he had a four to forty OVP, he had eight home runs. Then he goes to dun Eden, so he skips the Florida Complex League entirely, and he's sitting two thirty six with the six to eighty two OPS in fifty three games. Walk right has dipped a bit, wrikeouts have climbed a bit, and the power not as prodigious in a low way as it was in the DSL. It's tough. He's eighteen years old. How do you assess this pick?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm actually really excited. I'm gonna watch him play tonight. I'm gonna go with Jupiter dunninged Ins in town. I'm gonna get to see uh Montanchez and of course Jojo Parker. This is one where I say, wait a little bit, because it has been better. We actually just mentioned him on the heat sheet with the way that he performed over the last couple weeks. And this is usually like the selective stats thing where like you kind of hope that right where he picks up when you're going in the game logs of fangrafts fits like a round number where it's like, oh, hopefully it's the last thirty games, the last thirty one games. This is the classic, like since he's been hitting, he's been hitting this. But he had a multi hit game on on May fifteenth, and since then, Sanchez hitting three seventeen with a one twenty WRC plus three eleven or sorry, yeah, with a three sixty one OBP and a four sixty seven slug So it's it's solid. It's three eleven excuse me, three eleven, three sixty one, four sixty seven slash line of one to twenty WRC plus, So geez. The pitching in this league is terrible. So usually the four to state league that slash line would give you a lot better off a WRC plus. But point being, he's been a lot better of late kids skipped a level and making the acclamation state side. I think there's still time for this to be a correct pick. But obviously he didn't jump out.
Speaker 3: Of the gate.
Speaker 1: Maybe the way that you'd want to break out prediction to jump out.
Speaker 3: Got you okay. Next one that we got to talk about here and it pertains to the Baltimore Orioles. You're looking really sharp on this one. Joseph's Zurwa, the left hander in the Orioles system. Zurwa so far this year has been a very intriguing arm in the oriole system, and he's a guy that has climbed to the mid levels of the minor leagues. Twenty two year old second round pick last year at Michigan State, and Zurwa is already in double A forty and two thirds innings with Hia Frederick at a two to two Erra punched out fifty to ten walks, jumps up to double A Chesapeake and in thirty five and two thirds innings. This guy's a two eight erra, no home runs allowed in one hundred and fifty batters faced. He's punched out forty six and walked nine. So when you compare or when you combine his hi A in double A numbers so far this year, a twenty two year old in his first taste of professional baseball is at seventy six and the third innings on June thirtieth, with ninety six punchouts, nineteen walks, and two home runs allowed in over three hundred batters faced. Is he gonna be the second minor leaguer to one hundred k's after Seth Hernandez.
Speaker 1: I think so. I'm trying to I was gonna pull up the leaderboards and by the way, the Blue Jays breakout pick the one that would have been correct, as Sean Keys hit his way from Hya where he wasn't even good last year really to the big league, so should have known. I wish I had the crystal ball on Sean Keys. Really awesome to see him breakout. Jureuah was a little bit more low hanging fruit, I think to a degree, just because of the way that he he threw in spring, but that aways always gonna be baked into this, so I don't think. I think ans in which we'll get to is more of the low hanging fruit Jureoe. I think is was still a pretty pretty solid pick because of how much better he's been than even I think you would have expected if you were high on him. He really feels like this this year's Quinn Matthews. When what we saw kind of Quinn Matthews coming out party in his first full pro season, where the stuff ticks up in terms of V Low's up, feel for the secondaries is improved, and the quality of the secondaries has improved. And Jurwa similarly, it was like good command low nineties fastball, really good change up. That was kind of the story with Quinn Matthews, right, pitchability guy, maybe we'll be back end guy. And now Ga you know, adds that cutter slider Sharper didn't quite see the Vlow jump as much as Quinn Matthews, but still saw the Vlow jump a little bit, and you have this just ridiculously impressive arsenal all of a sudden across the board and with the pitch ability still married. Now Matthews lost that over the last two years, and that's a whole different story. But ZEROA. You really see that that feel to pitch with the enhanced stuff resulting in just pure dominance.
Speaker 3: Right, So happy with this pick. No adjustments.
Speaker 1: Can't say I would adjust this one. I don't think there's anybody in the osystem, you know, with as much helium as as Surewell, right now.
Speaker 3: How about the Yankees? Your pick? Was that your heard so far this year? Heard? He has been alright. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pulling up the numbers right now. If Thatcher heard twenty three year old, he's a form of the former LSU Tiger. Limited to eight starts so far this year, but that youer heard five starts in Tampa nineteen inning z walk twelve, did punch out twenty nine. It has been a rough go for Thatcher heard, yeah.
Speaker 1: Coming off injury, so I maybe I was hoping he'd kind of just lie right through and have the success. And of course there's been a little bit of that I think acclamation process to just getting back from the injury and coming back from TJ. But I think the stuff is there. He's also pitching at low A, so the strikeout numbers, it's going to be difficult to fully fully assess that because you kind of expect to college on with this to be able to overwhelm hitters. But last time out for Herd four and two thirds, one hit, no runs, two walks, ten k's. He's struck out now eighteen in his last nine innings, so that is encouraging. But he's also doing it in a low A as a college on, but he's building up, So I obviously there's there's probably a better pick in a Yankee system, and that's what I want to kind of go dial up right now and see who would have been a better selection. But I think there's a little bit of time still for him to sprint through the finish line. I just don't think enough to quantify as a breakout, you know, coming back from the injury. It just hasn't happened as quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, college arm. You hope that he you know, kind of hits the ground running and gets to the upper minors. But not really going to too well for thatcher Herd right now, and again he is in low A as it stands, you got a Yankee pick or not so much.
Speaker 1: Looking at the bats right now, not great on the bats side. There's always a pitcher, though, like there's always a pitcher, I feel like that ends up surprising you and performing really well. But right now, I mean, I don't think there's a clear cut guy that you'd say relative to expectations, unless I'm forgetting somebody you know, is outright breaking out in this system per se, which is gonna be interesting because you know they're gonna want to be aggressive at the deadline. But yeah, when I look across good players like Elmer's thrown well, I'm Rodriguez is thrown well, Like, I don't think anybody's full fledged, really broken out per se in the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Uh, you nailed the breakout pick as it pertains to the Tampa Bay Rays. Here, nineteen year old catcher Nathan Fluelling was your breakout pick coming into the year nineteen year old in a HIGHYA through sixty five games, fourteen homers, forty two driven in, hitting two sixty with a three to ninety OVP and an eight seventy six ops. He is three years younger than the league average hitter in HYA. Nineteen years old. This is not only the breakout pick of the Rays, this is one of the breakout players in Minor League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love this kid, and I felt like from what we saw last year, and we've talked about Welling a little bit on the show now already because of the year that he's having, But what we saw from last year as a player that was extremely young as a collegiate or as excuse me as a prep catcher going straight to full season ball and handling it the way that he did and with the peripherals, the raw power was there, the patience was there, the arm strength behind the dish was there, and that's why I'm like, Okay, some of this kid's parts are really impressive. And talking to some people around the Rays organization, they all said, this kid is ahead of his years. Like we love the way he goes about his business, and there's more power in there that would always be like the follow up too, And so when you hear that side too, when you see the underlying, it was all exciting. He had this kind of big move I've talked about where the hands would start by a Sternham and then go all the way like pull all the way back. It was hard at time, and he has completely overhauled that to where now sands are on a more traditional spot, you know, kind of sitting up high by his back, by his ear, and it's a simple move, and I think he's able to repeat his moves more consistently, be on time, and get the barrel out a little bit quicker. And now we're seeing that results in that raw power turn into more game power. He's still nineteen years old, so you pair that with the fact that you can develop into an above average catcher and has the makeup to be a good, just solid piece behind the dish. And you mentioned being so young for the level. Usually what you see with the guys that are really young for the level, and this is a generalization, but it's something that like anecdotally, I could tell you I've just seen so so so many times that if I was able to somehow run, the numbers would back it up. The younger guys at the level that are even performing pretty well, they are crushing fastballs and maybe the approach is pretty good, but a lot of times the numbers aren't quite up to par with the secondaries, and it's usually just, hey, this is a really talented hitter that's feasting on fastballs and patient enough on the secondaries. You don't usually see eight's across the board, like you see with Foelling, eight sixty one ops against fastballs, eight fifty one ops against breaking balls, eight seventy six ops against splitters and changeups. That to me is a hitter that's just ahead of his years.
Speaker 3: Thing the Rays have. It seems like so many guys that you can choose from. But Fluelling was the slam dunk pick, and you have another slam dunk pick with the Boston Red Sox Anthony Ironson. You mentioned a little chalky. A lot of people like ianson in spring training just because of how loud the stuff was, and Ironsen is proving the truthers rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think there were doubters, but he's proving his truthers rights. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is oh sorry, go ahead, No, you're good.
Speaker 3: In fifty and two thirds innings for ionin across twelve starts between high A and double A, seven starts in double as a twenty one year old, he's got a one point oh seventy RRA, six earned runs and fifty and two thirds with sixty four punch outs to nineteen walks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just he's just too polished, I think for these these hitters, even a double A. He's a cut cut ride guy, and then you have the arsenal that just really works well off of itself in just a vertical tunnel where it's the cut ride fastball, then a cutter below that, and then he'll throw so you know, a gyro slider below that, and then we'll have the downer curveball below that, and it's just all different speeds and all very difficult to differentiate out of the hand because everything kind of looks like he's coming around it. Even the fastball, he's kind of coming around it. So you know, sometimes hitters can maybe pick it up a little bit because you see him come around the side of the ball and say, okay, here comes to breaking ball and you see the spin different. Everything looks like that. So it's creating this very difficult tunnel for hitters. And anytime you take a good command guy and you up the stuff, it's generally gonna age, you know, or it's generally gonna turn into two quite good results. It's funny now Ianson has become so popular that I actually feel like I skew a little bit lower on him than some of the other in the industry. I took the layup of the breakout. There's just nobody better to pick than Ianson. But at the same time, I do have some concerns, Like the stuff works well off of each other, but I do have some concerns about how he can keep lefties at bay with everything still kind of working glove side and the strikeout rate has dipped pretty significantly. We're working with small samples at double A, so I think you can do a good job of avoiding barrels for the most part because of the tunneling effect and how it can be different difficult to differentiate things out of the hand. However, I do think that like there's some normalization to these numbers coming, and there is going to be a challenge, you know. I think, what this is the thing with the big leagues too, and you're trying to project these guys up to the big leagues. There's more left tened hitters than like ever, and every team has a left e that they can you know, they can go lefty heavy lineup. What does Ionson do when he's got to see seven Like if you had to see the Marlins right now, dude, and they put seven lefties in there, That's where I'm interested to see, like that's where it's going to be tough, So I think there's a little bit more refinement and execution can help that. But I do think he's more of a fifty to seventy range top one hundred guy and not a twenty to forty range like I've seen elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Can I give you a take that I've been just like it's just kind of been I don't know, stewing in my brain for a little bit. I think I have a new best pitch in baseball. It's a right handed changeup. Like it's it's ridiculous the number of premier lefty bats there are and the number of drastic splits that I see for pitchers as it pertains to right and left. It's like, oh, Lefty's ops nine hundred against him, but right he's are ops and six fifty against him. Why is that? Because the slider's good and the sweeper's good, and everybody prioritized working on the slider and sweeper instead of something to get lefties out, and like it could be a sinker, but very few right handed pitchers, it seems like in Major League Baseball have a feel for a change up and it's like a splitter accomplishes it to a certain extent, but if you've got a little armside diver, dude, it's one of the best pitches in baseball right now. I think.
Speaker 1: Well, one the biggest thing I think it's a great point is and it's the cyclical league that we have, is is that it became in vogue to go sweeper hoppy fastball and like right on right, nightmare right, Like you're not gonna be do that. So the only way to combat that is to have more lefties against those types of guys. But the other reason why why they did that and like why sweepers became in vogue is it's a lot easier from pitchers. I've talked to pitching coaches I've talked to like a lot easier to teach a sleeper than it is to teach a change up and like duh. But even like with everything that we have today, it's even more of a gap in terms of teachability than you think, like and then we already think that it's a huge gap. So like a lot of guys, if you already have a little bit of ability to spend it, like they can get you on a sweeper pretty quickly, change up not so much. And I think with how much we push towards that, yeah, this change up has become even more valuable. And I think that's why we're saying, like Logan web Man, like just on this heater of all heaters right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just crazy. All right, We're gonna get to the American League Central in a moment. But before that little woosh heading into the Cleveland Guardian conversation and the Cleveland Guardian breakout pick for you was a guy that seemed like a slam dunk at time, and now it's not a slam dunk. Joey Oke was your pick. Joey Oke last year in fifty nine innings, punched out seventy eight guys, and you're sitting here saying, if only he walks fewer than six hitters per nine innings. Unfortunately, joey Oki went back on his word in thirteen starts in low Way in his age twenty season, joey Oki in forty five at a third innings has a six eight era. Why you ask, because in forty five and a third innings he's walked forty two guys. Man, what's gone wrong? Mechanics.
Speaker 1: It's mechanics. It's such a long arm action. It's so hard for him to time up. And I just he tried to tweak it and whatever, and I think it might have made things worse. Like did you see now he looks uncomfortable and mechanical. I've picked this guy twice now to breakout, so I can. I can promise you we're not gonna be picking irons in or excuse me, ice, we're not gonna be picking ok next year. I still think he has a lot of time and a lot of talent, but it's probably going to be more in that relief role, right. I mean, they're gonna give him time to like try to figure it out, obviously, But I just when you watch him throw and you see that long arm action and just some of the erraticness still like trying to time that up with his body, he can get a little bit jumpy. It seems like the timing is inconsistent across different like different pitches, and you can it's very tangible. So that's where I get even more concerned about the command is when you can really see the timing inconsistencies with the arm and the lower body and it's the fastball slider combination could play in a bullpen, but even then, like the command's gonna need to get a lot better to even get there. And so I was thinking about, like, okay, so who would be then the Guardians breakout prospect per se. What's funny is, you know, we've had Cooper angle as a top one hundred prospects in previous years, so as recent as last year at some point. So I guess he's still the pick though, because he's very Bonds and trip Awa and now it's up in the show like he's been so good offensively that the Guardian said, like, let's get you back into left like you're at Clemson again. So I think he's got to be the pick. But I was kind of pushed away from that because we've always liked him to the point that he was a top one hundred prospect for us within the last calendar year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I mean, Ingle is definitely the pick right now. And what they have going in terms of guys that are just getting going in their big league career is astounding. We've been begging for a half decade for line of protection for Jose Ramirez. I think longer than that. I really think since they traded Lindor, it's like, how are you going to have line of protection? And now de latter Bizana and Ingle are in the fold. It's really really fun to watch right now.
Speaker 1: The other one, real quick is sorry, is Duke or Cassarras. Cassarus is one of people, well what about him? He's a breakup. We had him as a top sixty prospect going into the season and so I and I know there's way higher than everybody else, So we couldn't have Cassarras as the breakout guy. However, he's walked more than he's striking out and he's a nine to sixty four ohps is an eighteen year old in Loway, so he's definitely breaking out.
Speaker 3: There you go, Royal. Here's what we're going to talk about. Warren kel Kanye, who is a nineteen year old who is in the Dominican Summer League. He's played fifteen games in the DSL, sixty five played appearances. I assume you've watched every pitch of one kel Kanye to this point.
Speaker 1: No, but there's not been much reason too. This is a bad one. Uh, we'll see. I really liked what I saw from the nine games before he went down with the shoulder injury. He went down with a shoulder injury that flared up multiple times. I I Sharon eventually wiped out his season, so I'd imagine there's some residual effects there. But the kids got a sixty five WRC plus and ds i's that's my bad. I still think he's gonna be good, like pretty good. I do think it's injury related. However, obviously this is a brutal pick. And there's another one where I tried to get a guy in a bounce back from injury, and as you can learn here, like the sometimes you just don't know how long it's going to take some of these young players to bounce back from that injury.
Speaker 3: And I get it. Who would be your royal pick here? If you have one?
Speaker 1: That's a tough one because I love the guys that they just drafted, and those guys have been good. Uh, but like those aren't going to be breakouts per se, like Josh Hammond, Like that's a guy that you drafted in the in the first round, like of course, or like in the early parts of the draft, like of course, that's going to be a guy that's performing. I'm trying to think. I'm not going to cross like Spencer and Nippens has been good, but like, I don't know if it's a breakout. There's no one that's quite jumping. I mean, I know we're gonna miss some. So like in the comments, please let us know who in your mind is breaking out, because we can only catch up with so many of the systems while we're doing this in real time. But I would say Michael Lombardi. I guess like Michael Lombardi. Fourteen appearances this year, fifty five and a thirds innings, a two four, four yard, eighty six punchies, the walk rates a little bit high, but I mean he's been pretty good. But he is also a little bit older for the level low way, But that's probably the guy that's standing out to me, is just like putting up better numbers than I think people would have expected.
Speaker 3: Well, I was thinking Michael Lombardi, Bill Belichick's GM at North Carolina, but no different, Michael Lombardi. Good. I love it all right. Next squad, John Peck was your pick for the Detroit Tigers. John Peck was an unorthodox pick for you because this was a guy that already made his way to double eight eerie. Last year, one hundred and eighteen games, Peck hit three oh one with a seven ninety two ops, had eleven homers and nineteen backs. This year looks very similar, hitting Q ninety with an eight to sixty OPS, eleven homers, and nineteen bags. The difference is it took him one hundred and eighteen games last year, mostly in high eight, to get to eleven homers and nineteen bags. Took him sixty games, fifty eight of which in Double A to get to eleven homers. In nineteen. Bags got up to Triple A Toledo for two games and then got hurt. I saw he's on the shelf. Do you know what with I do not know with the shelf right now, but you asked me. It was like, is this guy? Is this a fair breakout pick? Like? Can you say that he broke out? I will give you the The field goal is good, I think so. Like the power numbers being that good that quickly at a level higher is really impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. I appreciate that he tweaked his leg. I guess the other night, so we'll see how bad that is. Yeah, it was. It was one where it's like this was a system that was really hard to find a breakout pick. But also I thought, Okay, if he hits his way to the big leagues for this team and dominates double A Triple A, like that's probably gonna be a breakout, or not even dominates just like forty fifty abovely gaverage double A Triple A and get to the big leags. I thought that'd be a breakout, and he might have been on pace to do that, but unfortunately we are going to see a little bit of a detour there. I was excited to see what would happen in Triple A and obviously was off to a great start with them there. So TBD. But if he gets into the big leagues and has some success, I'll I'll give it, I'll give it a thumbs up. But for now, I appreciate the field goals good. I he was kind of an easier pick too, because he had a really good year last year, but I did and if you look at the rite up which linked in the episode description, is all the picks here. The big part of it was that I thought there'd be an uptick and slug based on what we saw in the second half last year, and like, clearly, if you're matching your home run total and half the games, there's a pretty significant uptick and slug. So that part I do feel good about.
Speaker 3: Got you, Okay, cool, Let's jump to the Minnesota Twins here and your pick. With the Minnesota Twins unfortunately walked six in an inning and two third and then hit the sixty day I l Santiago Castianos with Minnesota Flora is yours. H.
Speaker 1: I guess that's just a push, right, you gotta you just gotta wait and rewrack him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Unfortunate the injury there, I Castos because of when we went through this episode too, how advanced the pitch mix was for a sixteen year old. We saw a ninety three to ninety five min on hour fastball, five different pitches. It had above average carry. The sweeper looked good, the change up was already decent feel wise, and he even showed a bridge cutter. So I still think this is a really interesting pitching prospect that unfortunately throwing hard at a young age, Like yeah, you're sitting ninety three ninety five at sixteen, Like sometimes this injury comes up a little bit quicker than maybe it does for some others. Hopefully it comes back, you know, strong and healthy. But I think clearly that he felt something in that one outing and that was that. So we'll have to wait and see. But for Twins fans, I do think this is a good player here that could end up becoming a pretty solid arm for them. As it pertains to who the breakout is. Yeah, that's another fun one that I they have a lot of guys performing, but it's like their top guys are performing.
Speaker 3: Trying to think of outside of outside of like their top ten prospects for you, like just seems like a very quiet system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Henry Mendez, I guess would maybe be that like breakout guy. And it was someone I considered a little bit there, but the the peripherals were never as good. But Mendez, you're twenty two years old here has been having like a really nice season. He was really good last year though too. It was a one thirty eight WRC plus last year at double he was acquired from them the Phillies UH this year thirty games or twenty four games in double A one seventeen WRC plus thirty games in Triple A A one forty two, so that combines to a one thirty one and fifty four games for Mendez is a twenty two year old at the upper levels once turn twenty three until after the season's over, that's probably the pick. But yeah, I think that the good thing with the with the Twin system right now is that the top guys are performing, and like, you just want those guys to stay healthy, and I think you'll feel pretty pretty good.
Speaker 3: I dig that. All right, let's go to the White Sox here, White Sox parlay vous Francis. Matthias Lacombe was your pick for the White Sox here, twenty four year old that did go to junior college in the United States. He was a early to mid round pick in twenty twenty three, no mid late round pick in twenty three, twelfth round at a coach Ice College in Arizona. But Matthias Lacombe so far this year, what was it late start due to injury?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he started injury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, made two appearances at the complex. But in twelve appearances, spending twenty innings with hy A Winston Salem, twelve hits, six runs. That's a two to seventy r Rabit in twenty innings, punched out thirty two and walked eight. Too early to tell her you feel good about it?
Speaker 1: It's looking good. I mean he's got to do it for more than twenty innings and yeah, but I mean, we've got a guy that's striking out fourteen and a half per nine that's gonna play. I know he's older and it's shortest burts because of the shoulder discomfort started the year. But I'm not going to say it's a victory yet. But I think we're for an injury to start the year. I think we're off to a pretty good start now of game setting for him.
Speaker 3: I ben all right, Matthias Lacombe, that feels good. Are there other big time breakouts in the minor leagues for the White Sox? They have had a good performing system. But like a lot of the guys that have been performing in the system yet you already knew about, Like yeah, I mean, Braden Montgomery was never gonna be a breakout, but like Nishida making his way to the big leagues, that almost feels a little breakout.
Speaker 1: Well, and real quick to one lacomb he's averaging ninety six on the heater, he's touching ninety nine. It's a really like weird kind of short arm, low three quarters release, and the slider from there is outrageous. You just can't pick it up, and he's flashed, you know, twenty inches of horizontal on that. So it's like a sweeper that sometimes it's a little bit more carry, sometimes it's a little bit more depth, and it looks like a wipeout pitch for him. So I'm I think Combe's gonna be a good relief piece for them. But as it pertains to the White Sox, that's a great question. Yeah, there's a lot of guys that are performing pretty well in the system that I think you feel pretty good about. I think, yeah, I do kind of feel like like Antonachi was already a guy that I think you felt like was kind of good in a good position to do what he does. I think the breakout is the fact that he's doing it at the highest level and to the degree that he is doing it. But yeah, I don't know if there's really a clear cut breakout for me in this system unless I'm unless I'm missing somebody. It just doesn't seem like there's one right now that I can that I can see off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: I don't think you are, So we'll pivot to the AL West. And before we do that, one more first guy that we got to talk about in the American League Est or in the American League West, weast I thought you said at least was Yeah. First guy with the Houston Astros is Ethan Fry. You had Ethan Fry as your breakout with the Astros. Fry so far this year, twenty two year old third round pick. Last year out of LSU forty seven games at A seven, been fifty three ops, got thirteen bags and five homers so far for Fry, yeah, not not not good.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the peripherals were so good last year. I mean he hit the living It was a small sample, but he hit the living crap by the ball. Albeit college bat low A. You kind of expect that, but the way that do hitting the ball, I had some concerns about how stiff the operation can be, and I think that's kind of challenged him now more at the even just the high A level, breaking balls have just dismantled him. He's hit fastball as well, but five h nine OPS against breaking balls that sixty percent contact right against spin. The whiff in general is just really weird. It's had sixty eight percent contact right overall, and then a flatter swing path, which even in the positive wrinkle like was something I was kind of concerned about, but it felt like the good was going to outweigh the bad because of how hard are you hitting the ball. The contact rates at low way were solid enough, but for the most part this year it's just kind of been a step backwards across the board and as a result, you know, we've we've fort seen an eighty five WRC plus another league though, Dude, like seven fifty oh ps is an eighty five WRC plus. Wow, there's something weird going on with the base balls. I know JJ Cooper's discussed this a little bit, like that's just there's some data points that are a little bit off with Baseball America.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Something's going on. It's just the these numbers. I'm looking at some players that have the same batted ball data as the year before and seeing the power up tick, like I could be something to justify Peck maybe as a little bit too, but I don't know. Something something going on. Okay, the offensive numbers.
Speaker 3: Are up too much interesting. Okay, the astros, if they are buyers, do they have anything?
Speaker 1: I mean they do, But it's the guys that like would have been rejected as breakout picks because they are discernibly their best, like Kevin and David nine. So I pissed pick the guy that they just drafted in the first round. That'd be the laziest thing of all time. So yeah, and that's all the crazy parts, Like are you going to trade your your first round pick? Are you going to trade your top bi F A guy? I think it would be kind of nuts. But you never know. With with the Astros, like we talk about on the JB Show, like with the way they're kind of approaching this, you just don't know. I don't know if there's a clear, clear, clear cut breakout. I liked Cole Hurtzwer when I saw him for the first time ever in the Spring Breakout Game, and he's thrown well this year. But he's a twenty three year old between high and double A and as a two five six RA but he's walking thirteen and a half nine, he's striking out thirty one percent. But I don't know if you could quantify that as a breakout offensively, Like you could shout out Luis Dillon, who is a complex kid with one thousand and seventy five ohps through one hundred and seven played appearances, But that's kind of where you got to go there. But Dillion does have my attention. He's been he's lashing three ninety eight, four ninety five, five eighty. I understand it's the Complex League, but I've been. I've seen some clips of him too. He looks he looks really good for his age. That's probably their guy. But that's kind of the point, like you got to go to the Complex for the breakout performers per se.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's push to the athletics. The athletics your breakout pick. Here was a guy by the name of Edgar Montero who's still nineteen years old. Native of the Dominican Republic, he is a right handed hitting short stop. Montero spent two years in the DSL. First year in twenty twenty four, his age seventeen season, hit two forty with a seven to seventy ops three homers. Next year, after repeating the DSL three thirteen with a four eighty four obp walk sixty times in fifty five games, had a ten sixty three OPS, and the home run total tripled from three to nine. Now in fifty three games as a nineteen year old with low Ay Stockton, he's hitting a tick below the Mendoza line at one ninety nine. He's got four homers and he's punched out ninety times in fifty three games. It's a six twenty nine OPS. This is the one.
Speaker 1: I think I even had it in the write up. I was like, this one can pribble up in my face, but also it could be good, Like I either in the right up I remember talking about in the episode where was, this could either make me look really good or really bad. And unfortunately it's the latter, because anytime you have a guy repeating DSL, I'm always gonna take that with a grain of sault. But it was such a I was something about least Covid with the Marl Wines too, right, Like he repeated the DSL, but his numbers were so good and the bad of bal Dada was so much better. It's like, oh, that's exciting, and then he's also kind of had a dud, so repeating DSL guys like you got to really take that with a grain of assault. But the hard hit rate was fifty percent, was an average exabossi of ninety mas per hour, and he's really patient. I'm like, okay, this could translate something. Could he could have figured something out or he could have just figured out how to compete against really bad pitching. And that seems to be what happened here. And that's where it's very difficult to draw that line. Is you know, you could figure out how to hit DSL pitching and still not have improved that much as a hitter, unfortunately, And that's pretty much what happened here. He still has plenty of time, he's still clearly can move the bat quickly and there's some good tools there. But it's been a really, really, really rough season and this is probably one of the worst picks. I would say, But you know, you got to swing for the fences. Sometimes it's okay, you.
Speaker 3: Got a pitching breakout in the A system or is it a hitting breakout way and one.
Speaker 1: Was so good before he just went down with injury. I think I think it's tj for him. Unfortunately, he was like the breakout though he's probably the breakout, even though he was so so good last year, to continue it at the upper levels. I don't think anybody was fully expecting that. What's funny is Henry Boltay took a huge step forward last year. I think you could call him the breakout for the way that he has just torched Triple A and then what he's done at the big league level. It was everything just better across the board defensively, bat a ball, data wise, in terms of the angles, just getting slightly better. Approach wise, significantly better, Like he cut a strikeout right by ten percent climbing level, and he's even cut a strikeout rate at the big league level compared to where he was at at HIA. So I would say I'll take could probably be the pick as well.
Speaker 3: I love it all right, we push on to the La Angels and this is a hell of a pick here by arm Layton. The La Angels, your pick was Hayden Alvarez, and Hayden Alvarez has been awesome nineteen year old who's spending the full year in Low A. As it stands right now, last year was an eight sixty five OPS and he got off the complex for twenty games. He is leveled up from last year, hitting three eight with a four to fifteen OBP and a nine eleven ops. How is he leveled up? Well, he's already beyond his stolen based total from last year, and he had two homers and seventy five games a year ago. He's got eight homers and seventy games this year. This is a guy that should comfortably be in the top one hundred for a while, right, He's.
Speaker 1: Got a chance. He's absolutely got a chance. I The thing with him is it's just a very well rounded player. Yeah, and I think when watching him, I think in the defensive side of the thing, because I think that was a bit of a question for him. I was impressed with how much that's kind of come along and how he's able to kind of get pretty good reads and cover ground with these longer strides because he's a big he's not big, he's longer like big framed I guess six three, one hundred and ninety pounds long limbs, So it's long strides and he can smoothly cover a fair amount of ground. But the fact that he can get to his top speed the way that he does as a longer guy, I think is really impressive as well, and just seeing the way that the stolen bases have continued to be a huge part of his game. A little bit more whift that' scrept into his game. But I think in exchange for trying to get into more power, and that's why we had him ranked in the top ten and four the system, I think ever before the season, and then picked as a breakout guy. I think if he can improve against breaking balls, I'll be a guy that absolutely could be in the top one hundred. And this is though the classic what I was talking about before Young for the level right, he won't turn twenty until spring training next year, the end of spring training next year, but Young drawing fastballs to the tune of one thousand and seventy two ohps, but six thirty six against breaking balls, five eighty six ops against splitters and changeups. However, he's chasing those pitches twenty three percent of the time, so demolish fastballs, don't expand too much against spin. You can still have a lot of success at low A. So it's going to be the improvement of you know, being able to hit non fastballs. I think that's going to come along to see matures. The thing I'm most excited about for him is there's probably room for another fifteen pounds a muscle, and that may saw him down a little bit, but how much power could be in there as well. And I still think he'll be able to move pretty well because he just clearly has a gliding nature to his speed. I'm excited to see what can be with him, and I hope they challenge him with Hie soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Two more teams that we got to talk about here, and this is a slam dunk. Yes, Nick Becker was your pick for the Seattle Mariners and Becker has been awesome. Surprised he's not in Modesto just yet. But Nick Becker in forty one games of the complex so far this year in his age nineteen seasons round pick last year to don Bosco Prep in New Jersey by the Mariners forty one games, hitting right around three hundred, but walked thirty seven times. In forty one games. It's a two ninety two batting average and a four to sixty two OBP. This guy's four homers so far this year. He's twenty three for twenty five in the stolen based department and I mean, this is again a hat tip to Scott Hunter. He the best drafter in baseball, and it's not close.
Speaker 1: He's got to be and well, And I think with the big part, I think what really works for him is that the draft, like the draft team, amateur scouting team, really works in lockstep with player development team. And I know everybody, but there's different levels of how teams are seamlessly making that transition and allowing those players to be able to make that transition once they joined the organization to kind of know exactly what they need to work on, like working with their player development folks to identify players that they feel like they can get more out of and for the out inside identifying people. And I remember talking to Justin Toole, like the biggest thing he said about Becker is just how hungry he is for information and how eager and how he's kind of like to sit at the front of the class type of guy. And you don't always get that from high school guys, especially early drafted high school guys. So that's the fun part. And I alway have the quote when I'm looking at the article right now, it was quote from Justin Toole. He's really wiry, big, strong, physical. You can see why our scouts loved him so much, just his athleticism and how he moves. He's gonna need to cut down the whiff a little bit for this to be like a complete, complete w and we'll see how he handles low A. But this was always going to be a guy that's a project. I think there's fun defensive tools there where he can be an above average short sound, he's a plus runner. There's above average to plus power to dream on as well, and it's all just going to come down to the hit tool. But he could be a guy that strikes out thirty percent of the time and still plays every day because of the value that he brings to the table, across the board everywhere else.
Speaker 3: Ye last guy that we got to talk about less team that we get to talk about here is the Texas Rangers. He's a Tiger. The twenty five year old was your pick. He missed all of last year. It was TJ. Right, Yeah, you can just I guess chuck this year up to yeh DJ. Too early to tell. It's only six appearances, four of which and Hya, Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Far we've got ten and a thirds innings twenty k's two walks. Yeah, so we're off to a good start here. But yeah, I mean a bunch of six and two thirds of that was in the complex, probably just bullying kids.
Speaker 3: And then yeah it was fourteen it was fourteen k's and two walks and six and two thirds innings of the complex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just like just literally abusing kids there. And then you go to Hya where just working in short spurts. It's it's just been pretty nasty there as well. Obviously you let up a few runs, but in terms of the swing and miss. So wait and see here there's another injury roll of the dice that that we're going with. But I think this is another really fun player that can ultimately I think, be pretty It's it. The heater is plus borderline plus plus. And that's the funny thing with the complexy these poor kids have to see, like a seventy great heater, you're gonna you're gonna be in trouble, and the slider off of that he in the Rangers organization. I think this is a guy that could develop really nicely and end up being one of those later blooming twenty five, twenty six year old prospects that miss a lot of bats and could be pretty exciting, even if it's in a relief role. But I still think this is somebody that they hope they can build into a little bit more of a starter's role.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if there's somebody else in the Rangers Org Cameron Cowley, by the way, just got the you know, that's a guy we've loved on the show because of I think he's in one of the best, most impressive athletes in the minor leagues, can play like every position, absolutely flies, sneaky pop. I think that's a very fun player to add to the big league level for them in pretty dynamic. I thought he should have been taken in the Rule five draft. I believe he wasn't. Maybe he was protected. I either thought he was definitely a slam dunk guy, and if he wasn't, I thought I remember talking about him as a guy that should have been taken in the Rule five, whether it was maybe two years ago or last year, regardless. Excited for Collie. I think he's a very very fun player there. I'm trying to think if who else could kind of qualify as the breakout in this Ranger system before we wrap up. But I'm looking right now a lot of ds gets swinging it already for them, but that's usually going to be the case early in the year. No one jumping out offensively, by the way, shoutout Arturo disla I've post. I'll post a highlight of him every four or five months. I want to see what his listed heighten waight is real quick. They say six two two forty. That's a complete lie. He is one of the more units. He's one of the biggest units in the minor leagues. So much fun to watch that guy hit. It's pretty funny and he will absolutely crush balls. But yeah, I don't know. I don't think I have a specific guy. I think I think it's Aj Russell. Maybe it would probably be the breakoup, but it's only thirty one of the thirds innings. Russell has struck out fourteen point two per nine and pitch to a two eight forty ra another ridiculous heater and the Rangers are always gonna have arms.
Speaker 3: Can I throw you Sung June Kim on the complex right now?
Speaker 1: That's a guy that actually has a chance to do two way too. And I don't believe anyone really can.
Speaker 3: But he actually has a chance, and he's got and he's got a nine to thirty two ops and thirty two games so far this year.
Speaker 1: Yeap, all right, we'll roll with him too. Kim is fun, Kim is fun cool. All right, that'll do it. Thank you everybody for listening. We will be talking nationally excited this thing sometime this week. We also have a fun interview coming up Andrew Fisher of the Milwaukee Brewers organization this week, and then another one potentially next week as well. Reminder to follow us on social media accounts. Lists or the links are in the episode description. Putting out a bunch of stuff on X and on the on Instagram and everything in between. And team top prospect lists continue to be turned out on Just Baseball dot com as we have been focused on that after the last Top one hundred update. A lot of draft stuff continuing to come up to We'll probably do a check in on that front sometime soon as well. As always, thank you for listening. Before to talking prospects with you this week. H