Speaker 1: Hey guys, just a reminder to you. We're just a couple days away from our next Mariner's live event and it's our EQC Mariners Trivia Night. Yeah, over at the Emerald Queen Casino. We cannot wait to see you there. It is this upcoming Tuesday, six pm, July the twenty eighth, will be giving away prizes while doing Mariners Trivia with you guys. It's gonna be a blast. And then afterwards we're gonna watch the Mariners Dodgers game with you guys. It'll be over at the BEDMGM Sportsbook at the EQUC. It's an awesome place to hang out, so mark it on your calendars. Tuesday, July twenty eighth, six pm at the EQC. We'll see you guys there.
Speaker 2: Welcome to episode number four thirty three of the Marine Layer of podcast. It's a mailbag episode, so we'll open it up and answer your best listener questions. We'll also react to the Mariners firing assistant hitting coach Bobby Maggie on us.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder to you, guys, make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes and leaving that five star review if you're listening. It really really does help a ton. If you do so, leave the five star review, hit subscribe on YouTube. If you're watching, you can go check us out at our website marine layerpod dot com. You can find all of our episodes there, patreons there, all of our podcast merches over at our website marine layerpod dot com, and then buy us on social media. We're posting content everywhere everywhere, across all platforms every day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 2: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball Podcast network, recording here on Thursday evening, July twenty third. Lilyile action has been taken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all been fixed. Team's been fixed, Season's been fixed. Shirley firing a third hitting coach just solved everything.
Speaker 2: Bobby meggianis uh not high on the Mariners heading coach totem Pole. He is in fact third on the list of Mariners hitting coaches. But someone today decided that it was his day to lose his job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know what to say to this. Supposedly, Bobby maggianis worked on more of the mechanical hitting side with the players, and that was his designated role. But spin it however you want. You can't tell me taking action by firing a third hitting coach is what gets the engine going of this team. I don't believe that for one second.
Speaker 2: Like if Bobby Maggianis had enough control over the Mariners offense and the Mariners offensive results that he rightfully deserved to get fired at this point to fix the Mariner's offense, then I would ask what Kevin Seitzer and Edgar Martinez are doing if they're like the two guys higher up than he is and the hitting coach ranks. But the thing is, I don't think that's that's it at all. I think the Mariners just they wanted to show they're willing to take action to the rest of the people on this coaching staff, on this roster and in the front office as well. That's what I think this was.
Speaker 1: It's a scapegoat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a scapegoat. From everything we can understand, Bobby Maggianis was liked by everybody for the Mariners right. Never once did it seem like the third hitting coach was ever the issue, or that the Mariners have terrible hitting mechanics, which, by the way, if he was in charge of mechanics. The mechanics worked out pretty fine at the end of last year, same coaching staff. Wow, they really are just running the twenty twenty four playbook right now. This is exactly how it went. You first start by firing a hitting coach. Then after that in twenty twenty four, that's when they DFAD a key player on the roster, a tenured player, and we'll talk about who that could be. And then after that they decided to fire the manager and the rest of the hitting coaches. Like that's how twenty twenty four or went. We're a little bit slower in the clock right now, but it's at least the start of that same playbook.
Speaker 1: The key player of the DFA, for those who don't remember, was Ty France, who, by the way, is just on a thurge in San Diego right now.
Speaker 2: And might be mentioned in this mailbag as a potential trade target for the Mariners. Wouldn't that be funny? In like the twenty twenty four esque season, the Mariners retrade for Ty France.
Speaker 1: It'd be unreal. I don't know how they'd make that work, just with the fact that they have a first baseman, but Hey, I'm open to ideas.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you, Lyle, who do you think made this decision? Was this a coaching staff decision? Aka Dan Wilson fired him? Do you think this was a front office decision or was this an ownership decision?
Speaker 1: Front office? You think so? Dude, I'm sorry. Do we think Dan Wilson has the stones to fire people on his coaching staff.
Speaker 2: As far as we know? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, like, yes, that's the right way to put it, as far as the as I know, And I'm concerned. No, I think that came from somewhere above the coaching staff. And you talked about this pre recording. Could it have been ownership going to the front office and say change something? So then the front office goes down to the coaching staff and says change something, and by spiral of effects, that's what ended up happening. Possible, feels like to me though it was more of a front office thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, in that chain of command, Lyle, you just don't know that the ownership was the one that told the front office to make a move.
Speaker 1: No, but what do John Stanton and Chris Larson know about the third hitting coach?
Speaker 2: Well, they don't again, they just want to change. They want an example like that. That's the only thing this has to be as an example.
Speaker 1: Sure, this is also some of the issue you run into with owners meddling, because again, what do billionaires know about the third hitting coach of a baseball team.
Speaker 2: But sure, but there's no way for us to prove that they had any say in this.
Speaker 1: No, there's no way to prove whose say it was and whose decision it was. It's not public. But I am going to assume it is somebody above the coaching staff that made this call. Somebody is an acting change.
Speaker 2: What this kind of feels like to me is that whoever ended up making this decision, however high up they are, they're trying to send a message to the front office, the coaching staff, and the players that accountability has arrived at the point of the season where it's starting to cost people their jobs for underperforming, and that if the performance continues at this level, I would be really surprised if we didn't see more accountability come in any of the forms I just mentioned earlier, with how it played out in twenty twenty four, where you look at the players and you're like, you guys are really underperforming. We need to make a change on the roster. Oh coaching staff, we think you guys are really underperforming at this point. So sorry, we're gonna need to make a change. Like that's kind of how this works, or even if it goes higher front office. I don't like this job you guys did with this roster this year. It's clearly wasn't good enough. And I've had enough.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can say this. The echo chamber has been loud as can be, especially this season about calling for Dan Wilson's job. We just talked about it on the last episode with Logan responding to a lot of that. But that echo chamber has been loud, and for those people in that echo chamber, I will say objectively, Dan Wilson's seat just got warmer today than it was yesterday. Because somebody on your staff gets fired. That's step one. It continues to go badly, more action gets taken.
Speaker 2: What are the what's the echo chamber going to be saying if the Mariners pull off one in six road trip?
Speaker 1: I mean, the same thing they've been saying all year, same thing they've been saying since Game seven of the Alcs.
Speaker 2: Well, except this time you're gonna have Oh well, they're willing to make moves. I think there are some people paranoid were never gonna make a move this year where they were gonna be like, we stilln't believe in all of these guys. We think we're good enough, we're gonna roll with that. But now they've show them, no, we're willing. We're willing to make some moves. I hope this isn't just performative where it's this is the only guy they're actually willing to let go of. And let's say they continue to massively underperform through the end of the season and they don't change anything else. It's like, well, so you just fired a guy, just Couz, and nothing changed, Yeah, which would really suck for Bobby maggianas that would really suck.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it'd be such a slap in the face again, it'd be such a scapegoat move, which it already kind of feels like it was. But we'll see how things go the rest of the year. I can't exactly imagine that if the Mariners go and turn this whole thing around and win the World Series, that there's gonna be many stories featured on well. The firing of third hitting coach Bobby maggieans sparked the twenty twenty six Mariners onto the World Series. Yeah, I can't really imagine that.
Speaker 2: Let's recount twenty twenty four a little bit, just so we can draw some of these parallels. Twenty twenty four was, maybe with slightly lower expectations, a similar vibe of the twenty twenty six team, where the lineup especially is underperforming massively well. The pitching staff is pitching well. This staff's not as good as that one, but it's still generally pitching pretty well, definitely well enough for them to win a division and make it to the playoffs. The common theme with those two teams is that the lineups of those teams underperformed enormously. I honestly feel like that twenty twenty four team lineup was better, was more productive than this one currently, as I haven't checked, the Mariners team ranks offensively obviously and long enough to the fact that they're like second to last in overall offense right now and runs.
Speaker 1: I mean, are we shocked?
Speaker 2: No, oh oh no, I'm not shocked. It's just kind of like a visual just slap in the face. To me as I see it on my screen.
Speaker 1: I mean, so they go out and have a bad road trip, which is very plausible, by the way, considering you're playing a Rangers team that is on the road. You have not always played well in that ballpark. There's points where they have, but points where they certainly haven't. And then you're gonna go to La for three and as we've said, I mean, you can kind of script how that one's gonna go. Already, it's a bad road trip. We may see more action in a week. Yeah, we very well might.
Speaker 2: So if we're gonna continue to draw comparisons to that team. Okay, So the twenty twenty four Mariners team finished twenty first in runs. This one's currently twenty ninth in runs, and that offense had got three hitting coaches fired and the manager. So just like put that into perspective right now. So the Mariners made the first move of that twenty twenty four season when they fired Brent Brown. Did anything change after they fired Brent Brown? Absolutely not, No, not that much change. What was the next action the Mariners took in that twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 1: It was, oh well, sorry, let me rephrase a little bit after they fired Brian Brown. They had a ten game lead and then blew a ten game lead in records. Oh yeah, oh yeah, you don't remember they had a ten game lead in the middle of June and then blew it in record time to the Astros.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I do. I remember that, yeah, very vividly.
Speaker 1: The second course of action was they dfa ty France, which again felt like another scapegoat move because ty France was not hitting well. But it's not like he was the problem with the whole offense.
Speaker 2: It was like the median outcome on that Mariners roster, in that lineup. I remember that podcast episode after that. You could make the case there were like four guys more to blame for the Mariners offensive struggles than Typrance was. But ty France wasn't making any money, so they could dfam.
Speaker 1: I mean, they had just come off an off season of paying Mitch Garver twelve million bucks a year, who didn't hit at all. That was the year they traded for Polo and he didn't hit at all. It was twenty twenty where he did hit twenty four. Polo in a bad year, So it was those two. I mean, Julio had his worst first half to date, and there was other guys around that offense that weren't doing much either. JP had a record setting twenty twenty three in terms of his own career, and then came came absolutely tumbling back to earth in twenty four where he was injured and also not hitting.
Speaker 2: Oh when they had Josh Rojas at third base, so he wasn't gonna hit either.
Speaker 1: Who started red hot that year for the first six weeks or so and then got ice cold.
Speaker 2: He's bad. He's bad at the end of the season. So that's kind of where the Mariners were at when they let go of ty France. I'll tell you what, man, the Mariners have a bad road trip and they come home and they don't play that well against the A's or the Twins, and they're not scoring a bunch of runs. Like, are the Mariners gonna decide that they're gonna take accountability on a player next, because like, if they take accountability on a player, it could give them a helpful excuse to free up more room on this roster, which we've talked about. There's not a lot of easy fits on the trade market into your lineup because you just have a lot of guys on this roster that are taking up spots and you need to clear a spot to get them on there. The player that comes to mind for me is JP Crawford. Jp Crawford has not hit well recently. He makes the most sense to get squeezed out of a spot when you go around the diamond. I mean, obviously Col's not getting pushed out behind the plate, Naylor's not at first, Cole's not at second. I mean, you could send Colt down at shortstop. But again, like JP's not playing well either, and his defense isn't good, so you're you shouldn't just give him back shortstop. Randy's in left, Julio's in center, and then right field is just a mish match to guys. There's there's a lot of guys in right field, so that would take more than one. JP's kind of it, and there's like a clear guy to come back and take a spot, Brendan on of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's no saying for sure that happens, but it's possible, especially since he's going to be a free agent at the end of the year and he's not hitting great. He's been a little better in July, but it's not like he's had a great overall year. He's still below league average by ops. Plus he's not playing good defense. You know, he's slowing down, he's getting older, And you're right that between Donovan, between Colt, between Cole Young between Randy there is going to be a logjam here at some point. Now Brendan Donovan actually has to get back on the field first. But yeah, I mean, are they for sure going to use the same playbook as twenty twenty four? No, maybe they just don't dfa any player this year. But who's the easiest com to Tye Franz from two years ago. Yeah, it's probably JP.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what the Mariners decide to do. It probably depends on how they play here in the next few weeks before the deadline, maybe just after the deadline. Even that twenty four Mariners team, if we want to go back to that playbook, they were aggressive at the deadline. They traded for Randy Rosorin and didn't fix anything, and Randy essentially heads Scott's are verus as a manager for three weeks and then he got fired. So like I can still that can still happen, because that's how that played out, But everyone's seat on this roster did just get hotter. Coaches, players, front office, every single person after the move that was made today, and we'll see how they respond to it. The goal of a move like this is to wake everyone up and say, hey, like, if you don't play better, if something else is gonna happen. So I hope they play better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, agreed. Otherwise, how much can you say about firing a third hitting coach? Just you know, doesn't feel like that's a serious a move, just not that serious a move. I feel serious.
Speaker 2: It's serious in the bigger picture, but the move specifically now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, I feel bad for Bobby Maggie Honis because this isn't really his fault. Feel at least sure doesn't feel like it, but he escapegoaded last thing on this. Just remember a couple of years ago. I remember we talked to Ryan.
Speaker 2: Davish and he was in minnesot for a twin series during that year. By the way, in twenty twenty four, people were really struggling with how bad the offense was, and we talked about hitting coaches. How much does a big league hitting coach do? And Ryan said it pretty bluntly is like these guys all have personal heading coaches that they work with a ton, arguably more than the team coaches themselves that the Mariners employ, like Sitzer and Edgar, So you never really know who is responsible for the swing of said player at this.
Speaker 1: Point, right. I think often hitting coaches are trying to give a lot of information rather than really retool swings.
Speaker 2: Right, and they leave the mechanics for the offseason.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, all right, Well.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of really good mail bag questions, so that's on the current Mariners team. We have a lot of certain trade proposals we need to get to in this mail bag, some great ideas before. Before we get to those, let's pause here.
Speaker 1: For an ad. Let's compare two players. They're making similar contracts, but you have to pick one guy to be in your lineup. Player one hit three hundred. He had an eight forty OPS and a one forty one WRC plus, forty one percent better than the league average. Player two hit one eighty five. He had a five to sixty three OPS and a sixty three WRC plus. So who would you pick? The clear answers? Player A? Right? Because player A is twenty twenty five, Dominant Canzone and Player b Is twenty twenty two Abraham Toro. Well, you can apply that same logic to our friends over at Davis Law Group, who offer better service with even better results. Most PI firms charge very similar fees, so why not make it simple and just hire the best. Davis Law Group is your premium option for accident firms. They have an in house investigation team, they treat every case like it's going to trial, and they have over seven hundred five star reviews on Google. Davis Law Group wants you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, the founder of Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books to help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand books across the state of Washington. They want you to be informed. Davis Logroup only takes on cases where they truly believe they can help, and you don't pay unless you get a result. If you've been injured and you want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just visit dlgcattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's dlgcattle dot com slash baseball.
Speaker 2: Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozyearth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're Everywhere pant and every Day Polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and Polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's Bamboo sheet set, Everywhere Pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot com and use our Code Marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's Code Marine m a r ine for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mention that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. And by the way, guys, if you want to get in on these mail bags and you want your questions answered, the place to go is our Patreon that's patreon dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. You get access to add free episodes, mailbag priority, and a monthly video call with Lyle and I. So that's something that sounds interesting to you. Go to patreon dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. Let's start off with Alex on Patreon Lyle. Alex's question is what would you give up for Mason Miller.
Speaker 1: I would get pretty aggressive for Mason Miller because this isn't just any old reliever. This is a guy that makes games eight innings long. This is the best reliever in Major League based with absolute wipeout stuff, who just sits so far and away above everybody else in his class. And by the way, he's got three and a half years of club control. You would get four chances of a playoff run in a World Series run with Mason Miller closing games for you, And that's an addition to Munno's and Brash and Spire and Ferrer and Bizaro. What would I give up for Mason Miller. I would trade one of the starting pitchers man, I would If it takes George Kirby, I'd trade George Kirby. At some point, you have to open up space space in this rotation. You can't have all these guys continuing to piggyback in six minute, somebody's gonna go. And the rumors that have been floated out there over the last day about the Mariners dangling out starting pitchers seems to only indicate more so that that's the case. So if it takes Kirby, yeah, trade Kirby. If it takes Castillo and high end prospects that aren't named Kayden Sloan, yeah, I'd listen to that too.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing about this from the Padres perspective, I don't know how they say no to that, because George Kirby is a more valuable asset in my opinion, than Leo Diverries's, which is what they had to give up to get Mason Miller last year. Top prospects are great, but Leo Devrez hasn't played an MLB game yet, so everything from him is prospect status. It's a lore, it's tools, it's projectability. Well, even as even though George Kirby has flaws, he's an established All star Big League starting pitcher who's gonna sit right in the middle of a rotation with potential upside to be higher than that if he unlocks it, that's pretty hard thing to turn away. The options for the Maritors to send to the Padres are Kirby, Hancock or Castillo. Emerson. Hancock got a lot of attention on the trade market today online that the Maritors were also floating him out there as a potential option. As much as it would break our heart, that would be a really tough one to swallow. It does make sense why the Mariners would float Emerson out there trying to capitalize on his value right now, and given how much control he has, you could you could really cash in on a return for Emerson Hancock. Now the question of what did I do this trade? I'm stuck on this. I'm I'm not fully convinced in the regular season to get to the playoffs, which is the situation. The Mariners are in right now that Mason Miller helps you get there more than a George Kerb would. This is just in the regular season. In the postseason totally makes sense. Like I would totally agree the Mariners were in first place right now and they were on a mission to make their postseason roster better, I'd be like, yep, send the starter away. I'm I'm all in on this. But the Mariners are in a situation right now where they're fighting for a playoff spot, and it's like it's not guaranteed at all. I don't know if trading for a closer for the final two months of this season, I know you have more control beyond that, but let's focus on this season for now helps you get there as much.
Speaker 1: But I think there is a factor that plays into this, and a large one that has to do with years onward from this as well, because this is how the Mariners usually operate a trade deadline. Twenty twenty five was pretty unique where they were trading for renolds. Usually they're looking for players with club control. Mason Miller absolutely has club control. Should the Mariners be focused on winning in twenty twenty six, Yes, And I think Mason Miller still helps you do that, and the fact that moving forward you get three more years with them. It's the idea of a brash Munno's Miller back three in your bullpen and you still abspire, Bizarto and Ferrera ahead of it. I mean, we said the Mariners were a bullpen arm short to start this season. I still believe that you go get Mason Miller. That's almost like getting two bullpen arms. That's how good he is. He is the best in the game, who is on pace for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: If this continues, I've come to a conclusion. If the Padres would somehow take Luis Castill in prospects for Mason Miller, I would do that. If the Mariners were gonna trade Emerson and Hancock and Laz I would do that. If they're trading Kirby, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I do it for Kirby.
Speaker 2: I think Kirby gives you a better chance of making the postseason in the regular season, which is the situation the Mariners are in right now. Over the course of regular season games, then Mason Miller would You're trading for twenty innings of Mason Miller, Max. But again, what happens if he allows like three home runs and all of a sudden, those twenty innings aren't worth George Kirby.
Speaker 1: But there's more years that go beyond this, more than Kirby has.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know me, I don't give a shit about the years out to this, not at all.
Speaker 1: I still care for somebody like Mason Miller. I care. Hmm.
Speaker 2: I think relievers are too fickle to look at three years of control.
Speaker 1: Okay, but isn't Mason Miller a little different than most relievers.
Speaker 2: Everyone is prone to down years as a reliever. Again, Mason Miller gives up five homers in a season and his season's done, it's toast. Then all the values gone. One injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could say that with any pitcher.
Speaker 2: It's a risk. But with my mindset of like this season right, So that's why I'm not valuing the future years of Mason Miller quite as much. Where I see a Mariners team that currently sits below five hundred, has pressing needs else square and you're gonna trade your I feel like you were giving up more value than you were getting back for this season. Trying to win right now, as fun as the back end of that bullpen sounds. I just don't think it gives you a better chance this year.
Speaker 1: Does it change your mind at all that by Baseball Reference, Mason Miller has been more than half a win better than George Kirby this year.
Speaker 2: Like sure, Okay, so you're been thinking about I'm thinking about math on a baseball field. Six innings of a starter versus one inning of a reliever. That only comes in if you're winning the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, But then which starting pitcher is getting traded if you're not doing it for Kirby Because at some point you have to trade a pitcher. You don't have to trade one. You could put one in the bullpen, like we've been talking about for months. Well you could do that, which would also it's not Mason Miller in the bullpen, but it would still be a pretty deep he's an arm in that bullpen. Again, It's just we've had this conversation about Kirby. Things haven't changed that much with him in five years. Same guy. He doesn't have the outpitch in the zone a lot. He has his great starts and then he has the ones where you know, he gets hit around pretty hard.
Speaker 2: And I totally like, that's totally right. I'm doing that fangrafts. Check here by the way of war totals.
Speaker 1: While you're doing that, I will say this, it's about the same.
Speaker 2: It's the same on fangraphs. All right, Mason's a tenth ahead, but it's the same.
Speaker 1: I will say this about the Padres. They need starting pitching. I mean badly, not just this year, but beyond. Right now, their rotation goes as follows. It is Herman Marquez, Griffin Canning. Both those guys have era's over five, Randy Vasquez Era at four to seven, Walker Buehler, who has not had a good year. The only guy in their rotation that's been good is Michael King, and he's a free agent at the end of the year. They need starter, they do.
Speaker 2: I would take more Mason Miller plus back for George Kirby. They have more to offer.
Speaker 1: I take two relievers, Well, sure, morehone's a rental. You want Miller and Morihone. That'd be great for Kirby.
Speaker 2: But that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not happening.
Speaker 2: Well, I just have a problem trading a starting pitcher for a reliever. I don't care how good the reliever is, Like, look at look at how the Mariners manage their bullpen. Mason Miller is only pitching in the game with the lead in the ninth inning. Well, that's that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a problem because he needs a problem.
Speaker 2: Because the Mirrors don't have the lead in the ninth inning enough because they can't score runs well.
Speaker 1: And it's also a problem that Dan Wilson won't throw your best relievers in the highest leverage situations. Now, maybe that's a Munyo's thing. Where Munyo's won't do that, Mason would could be, We wouldn't know until he's on the team. Mason Miller does throw in different situations. He did that against the Mariners this year. He threw in a high leverage situation into the padres. Well, yeah, but what's the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a different manager making decisions on when his pitchers are throwing.
Speaker 1: Well, part of me hopes that it's more of a Moodio's thing for why he won't throw in other situations for this case, that Mason would.
Speaker 2: I'm not even saying I'm not open to trading George Kirby. I am like I would trade George Kirby for bat. I would trade George Kirby for Trek Scubell because those two things make a lot more sense to me than trading for a reliever. While I would be down to trade for Mason Miller, I don't think putting Mason Miller in the bullpen and essentially handing Luis Castillo George Kirby spot in the rotation gives you the net value you're looking for to win games down the stretch this season, because that's what you'd be doing.
Speaker 1: Sure, I would also at least encourage you a little bit to think about what other seasons do for the sake of Mason Miller in the sake of this rotation, because by next year you'll have Kate Anderson.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day. If Mason Miller, out of all the trades that happen, is the trade that gets the Mariners the best chance of winning the World Series, then fine, fine. If there are other options out there, like trading a starter for a bat, I would do that. I would prioritize that above Mason Miller. Sure that would give you better value.
Speaker 1: I mean sure, but what bat? The controllable bats we talked about the controllable bats we've talked about, aren't all that intriguing. You got Casey Schmid out here who's walking two percent of the time and is a fine player, but that's not putting you over the top to win a World Series. We've talked about needle movers on this trade market. We've constantly said there's one in Scooball now that Mason Miller has been made available publicly. He is a needle mover. Not like school because he doesn't throw seven innings at night, he throws one. But he's a needle mover, a legit like he is the best at his position he has.
Speaker 2: I would trade prospects for him without a doubt. The Mariners have plenty of those. They want prospects. I'll give him prospects. Yeah, all right, but if you were to match it up, then you probably have to trade cater slone. But they won't last Michael Royal, yeah, and et cetera. I think i'd think about that.
Speaker 1: Sure, the Mariners won't trade cater Sloan for Mason Miller, by the way, No.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. And we don't have to. We don't have to talk about relievers all night. But yeah, I'm glad we see this differently. There is a situation where I would trade for Mason Miller. Seems like there are more situations where you would trade for Mason Miller.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Games become eight innings. It's that simple.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, if they lead, if they lead, Yeah, all right, Now, next question comes from Michael on Patreon. Michael's question is what are some of the biggest flaws of this team that we might have missed because of a sixty home run season last year.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think church said it perfectly when he was on with us before the start of the year. Jason Churchill, he thought they needed one to two additional bats in the offseason that they didn't get. I think that's number one, And I think we just talked about it in the last question. We said constantly ahead of the start of the year that they were a bullpen arm short. I still believe they're a bullpen arm short, especially with the way Munyez has had his struggles this year. That's what's being exposed right now between the guys you acquired that are not living up to their potential, with Donovan's injury, with how bad ref Snider has been paired with just needing more depth in your lineup in general, and more depth than your bullpen in general. It's not there without Col's production. You take that away and you don't have the Refsnider product, and you don't have the Donovan production, all paired with the fact that you still probably needed an additional bat or two and a reliever, like a leverage reliever. It's totally on display this year.
Speaker 2: I think it's all lineup. It is all lineup. Listen to these numbers of the difference between cal at this point last year and worry is currently this year. At this point last year, on July twenty third, cal Rally had thirty nine home runs and eighty four RBIs. Like the basic of basic stats. Forget all the WRC plus and on base percentage. All that thirty nine home runs eighty four RBIs those count on the scoreboard. This year, cal Rally has ten home runs and thirty five RBIs. That is, twenty nine less home runs and forty nine less RBIs.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know where the.
Speaker 2: Mariners would rank if you added those numbers to the Mariners current team total this year? So the Mariners currently are twenty ninth in runs scored. If you added forty nine more runs to this team, they'd be twelve. Is that a pretty sizeable jump?
Speaker 1: I'd say yes. I think they'd be in first place in the AOS right now with that.
Speaker 2: Huh interesting, they're currently fifteenth in home runs. If you added twenty nine more home runs, the Mariners would be in first in all of Major League Baseball and homers. Yeah, you'd have a top half offense, the best home run hitting offense in Major League Baseball, and a pitching staff that at this point last year allowed fifty five for I think fifty seven more runs than they have currently allowed right now.
Speaker 1: Now, the question becomes a col with somewhere in the middle, ak what he's done in twenty twenty two, twenty three, and twenty four, which is a typical very good cal rally year hits two fifteen to two twenty, hits, thirty four homers, WRC plus is a round one twenty and it is about a four win catcher. Take it somewhere in the middle. So the Mariners go from twenty nine to twelfth. If it was a normal CAL season, they'd be roughly nineteenth in run scored and they'd be roughly what eighth or ninth in home runs top ten, So you're still missing a bat or two, like Churchill said at the start of the year, don't have enough bats.
Speaker 2: It's clear fair. But just to answer the question of like, what does sixty home runs cover up that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean it's it covered up a lot. To answer that question, you just highlighted it perfectly. It masks a lot of things.
Speaker 2: It makes your entire lineup looks looks significantly better than it actually is because around the diamond, like you could go spot to spot compare this year to last year with all these players. But just like, adding sixty home run production to this lineup all of a sudden makes this lineup look like a good lineup, a lineup that people would say, yeah, that's pretty good. They actually they do do enough that would be nice, but maybe they will score enough. Yeah, but otherwise yeah, no, no. And the difference between this year and last year is that last year's team was less talented than this year's team is, So you would have this kind of production with significantly worse players across the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Next question comes from Alex on Patreon Alex's question is, call me crazy, but since Canzona is playing so well, you could put Canzona in the outfield and trade Randy and Luis Castillo away at this deadline? What do you guys think?
Speaker 1: I mean, I get the Randy discourse, because again he drives people nuts with the way he often plays the game, But objectively, I just don't know how doing that gets you closer to the postseason. I don't think it does.
Speaker 2: I don't know who would trade for the duo of them either, Like they're expensive, Like two months of Randy doesn't net you back that much in all reality, like you get more back by just letting Randy walk in in the offseason. Sad, I don't really see it. Not only is a team not trading for Luis Castile, but then it also just doesn't really make much sense to let Randy Rose are gonna leave this team where he is still your best bat. I also don't think I want Dom Canzone playing in the outfield every day. No, he he hits really well. But if you put can Zone out there as much as you put Randy out there, like Canzone might not have some of the mental gaffes that Randy does, and certain points, like that foul ball in Tampa. But the range isn't good and just if you're expecting to see even average defense, you're gonna be very disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, somebody would trade for Randy, but it just doesn't help the Mariners enough. You're not gonna get the return back you want.
Speaker 2: It'd be a great Randy might be the top bat on the trade market if he was available. Everyone wants a right handed bat. Right, Oh, Randy's available and only for two months. Don't have to pay him that much, don't have to give up that much prospect. Oh yeah, we're gonna We're gonna go get.
Speaker 1: Him right And that's why the Mariners wouldn't do it, because the return is not gonna be good enough.
Speaker 2: Before we get to our next mail bag question, let's pause here for an ad. Starting a business is a big deal and it can be very intimidating. There's a ton of questions with not always a ton of answers. You'd be surprised how much simpler Shopify makes it packed with all the tools you need included from day one. Shopify's templates and AI tools get you a stunning site up and running fast with no coding needed. It also seamlessly integrates into an existing website, like it did with ours. Shopify checkout means more customers can actually buy, and returning ones can do so with a single click. We saw the effectiveness of this right away with the volume of merch sales as soon as we went live. If questions come up, Shopify's built in AI assistance Sidekick is ready to help you build, troubleshoot, and keep moving. Because Shopify handles the setup and check out, you have more time to focus on growing your business, which was my main concern when setting up our own merchandise. All you need is an idea, Shopify handles the rest. Start your free trial today at shopify dot com slash marine Layer. Again that Shopify dot com slash marine Layer to start your retrial today shopify dot com slash marine Layer. Xander on Patreon asks what would a selling move be like for a starting pitcher? For example, would you trade George Kirby to the Cubs or the Yankees for a prospect package?
Speaker 1: I mean it would essentially be if you traded George Kirby to the Cubs for Matt Shaw. Because Matt Shaw is a third baseman He's a right handed hitting third baseman. He's young, and he has club control, but that's not helping you win this season, not at all. Matt Shaw has been significantly worse than he was last year. And again, it's it's tring. It's trading proven talent off your roster for a guy that's more of a project. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think a selling move to me more looks like trading George Kirby to the Brewers and getting multiple guys back from their stacked system. The Milwaukee Brewers have one of the deepest farm systems in all of Major League Baseball, and if you're trading them George Kirby and the reason they would want George Kirby as them kind of like the Cubs, kind of like the Padres, and they have mizz They have a couple of really good young guys, but they don't have a lot of rotation depth, and that would probably come back to bite them again in the postseason like it did last year. The Mariners having George Kirby available to them would be very enticing. And if the Mariners are selling, then they want prospects back, and the Brewers have a ton of prospects I don't think the Brewers would trade Jesus Made, who's the number one prospect in all of baseball right now, and their top prospect. But what about their second prospect in Louis Payana for two and a half years of George Kirby. I mean, I'd be asking for Louis Payana, and I'd be asking for at least a couple of their other top one hundred prospects at minimum, maybe a young guy off their big league ross as well. If they're getting an everyday starter in George Kirby.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean yeah, we can shut down any chance of Made getting traded. There's no shot the Brewers won't move him. He's got the chance to be a true superstar. So sure, Paynia at least By. Depends on what outlet you want to use. If you use MLB pipeline. Payne is a top twenty prospect in baseball, but that would absolutely be a selling move because while he might be good in a couple of years, he is nineteen years old and currently in high A. That is not a move that signals a team that is trying to go for it this year. It might help him down the road, but it's not a twenty twenty six move, and I'll tell you what. For as good of a prospect as Paenia might be, Oh, piss off a lot of fans.
Speaker 2: There's not many suitors for like a twenty twenty three like kind of by kind of sell trade. If you're trading George Kirby, I would prefer you either go to the extreme on the winning side or on the selling side. I would I would not try and dance the middle with one of your premiere trade pieces that you have on your roster. So no, Lyle, I'm not trading George Kirby for aid Toro two point zero. I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I don't think so either. No, I also don't think I don't know if Matt Shaw would love Seattle. I'll just leave it at that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think so either.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No.
Speaker 2: Cheryl on Patreon asks do you think entering the season with multiplatoons led to a roster unable to handle the regular bumps and bruises of a season.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's data and analytics behind the idea of platoons, right because you're trying to play to the strength of each player, But they do cause problems because you need everyday players. There's a reason there's not nine platoons on every team, and we say we're okay with one platoon, but you don't want to be running out to three four platoons on a roster. I don't think it's the overall reason. Again. I think the reason there's been so many bumps and bruises this year is because your two stars have not hit it well. Your three stars, your three highest paid players have not hit enough at all. Julio call Naylor. But relying on platoons overly and heavily can cause the issues, and we've seen it cause some issues this year. They put a lot of chips into Rob rev Snyder. They expected, with those six million bucks that they paid him to look not saving offense, but really lengthen that lineup against left handed pitching. Because the man by the numbers has been Aaron Judge like against left handed pitching before coming to Seattle. That's not even an exaggeration. Those are the type of numbers he would put up against lefties, and instead he's been borderline the worst hitter in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: The biggest downside of platoons is consistency. For the players because they don't get to play every day, and sometimes that will affect a team more than others. Where some platoons handle it great, some platoons don't handle it great. The Mariners platoon situation this year is kind of we've been so down on Rob Refsnyder, but Can Zone has also been so good, so hasn't that kind of like balanced out Whether they kind of combine. If you combine the two of them together, you spit out like slightly below Seth Smith offensive production.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I mean so, then in that case you just kind of have like a mid baseball player, which is not It's not Rob Refsneiner. It's not great, But I don't think like a mid net baseball player is the reason you don't survive like the bumps and bruises of the season. I would argue that for specifically bumps and bruises, that having guys playing too much would cause that and they would tie her down. And some guys just aren't built to play every day. There's the Freddie Freeman's and the Matt Olsens, and in this case for the Mariners, Cole Young, who can play every single day without much of a downturn in their production, but not every guy can do that. Some guys really tire out, especially catchers for example. So it's kind of how I read that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, I think it comes down to the fact your stars aren't hitting is why you've s seen so many bumps and bruises, because when the middle of your order isn't putting up middle of the order production on a team that was expected to be a World Series contender, it exposes everything else. There is no hiding what Rob Refsneider has done offensively this year, because it's been awful. There's no other way to put it. But it probably wouldn't be as big of a story if cal Julio and Naylor were all playing to the back of their baseball card and the Mariners had a six game lead in the aos right now.
Speaker 2: Next question comes from Cameron on Patreon. Cameron's question is, hopefully this isn't a ridiculous question, but should we bring back Ty France, right handed bat that is hitting well.
Speaker 1: Certainly a nice idea, and yes, has typ Frans had a great year he has? Would fans be absolutely over the moon to get him back? I'm sure. I just don't really know where he play because you have a first baseman locked up on a five year deal in Josh Naylor, and then you've had such a rotating cast of players. I mean, if you trade Luke Rayley back to the Padres for France and part of the package, maybe it works itself out a little bit where Canzone plays a little a little more outfield and on day's where he DH's, ty would just come off the bench or Naylor gets a day off. But the way the current roster structured, it would just be hard to maneuver, especially when cal Ney DHJS as a catcher.
Speaker 2: Man. It'd be a tough fit. Which goes back to our conversation at the beginning of this podcast of like, do the Maritters move on from someone out of convenience of just creating space available space.
Speaker 1: On this roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like ty France back, but I just don't know where he plays. Yeah, I don't know for the trade package you'd have to give up for ty France. How much control does he have?
Speaker 1: Oh no, he's a free agent at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, all right, never mind, So then that's not as much of an issue. I think if they had space, I'd say.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. I mean, for those who haven't checked his numbers this year, he is just mashed. I mean he's got an eight seventy one ops for the year. He's ops plus ing one thirty eight and against lefties he is opsing nine to twenty six.
Speaker 2: Good for him, he's gonna get a good payday and free agency. I'm happy for him.
Speaker 1: I'm too.
Speaker 2: I mean, just think about how it looked a couple of years ago and you got DF eight. He's been bounced. He bounced around to what three or four different teams since then.
Speaker 1: He's been with since dfa' by the Mariners, Reds, Twin Wins, Blue Jays, now the Padres, and he's really figured it out again, which is pretty cool. I mean, who doesn't like ty France. He's a man exactly.
Speaker 2: Next question comes from Alex on Patreon. Alex's question is uh asking me TJ. You mentioned the mccullors trade was a blueprint for trading castillo, but the situation is totally different. Can you explain your thinking a little bit? Yes, I can. My point with the mccullor's trade was to just dispel the notion that Louis Castillo is not untradable. Mccullors and theories should have been untradable. He had a big contract, he had been significantly worse than Louis Castillo, and he had been hurt for a long time before this. You would think someone like that would be untradeable, but he got traded, so you might not get the package back you want for Louis Castillo, but he is tradable for the right price.
Speaker 1: If you look at guys in the range of the salary Louis Castillo's making for this year. Because Alex also mentioned that in his question, like the second part was compared to the other veterans starters in his salary range, is Castillo actually one of the more attractive trade targets if Seattle retained some of the salary. You know who the very next guy is in terms of twenty twenty six aav below Louis Castillo.
Speaker 2: Let me guess, is it Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 1: It is Kevin Gosman, who is who is on the trade market, publicly available and also has less control than Luis Castillo, so teams would have to give up less to get him. Kevin Gosman similar to Castillo has not had his best year. He's got a four point fifty one ERA. Now, if you look at something like his FIP under the hood, it's at three six eight. So he's been a little bit better in terms of the expecteds, and maybe a team believes that he's gonna regrets back up to the mean as the season goes along. And if you look month by month for Gosman, I mean, so this is where the totem pole swings back because he started the year really well. June and July have not been good. You're a team, would you rather trade for Gosman or Castillo? Gosman makes a million and a half less and also has less control.
Speaker 2: I would trade for Gosman because it gives you more flexibility. And Luis Castillo has that vesting option where if you're gonna put Louis Castillo in the rotation the year after you trade for him, there's a risk he hits one hundred and eighty innings and then you're on the hook for another twenty million dollar season after that, a year older.
Speaker 1: Right, So I think that teams would look at exactly that and say the safer option is to just trade for Gosman. So if there's a team out there that wants to take on an expensive starter this year, feels like they look at Gosman before Castillo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, but he's not untradable. The Maritors are willing to take nothing back for Luis Castile, and someone will trade for him. Mm hmm, Like that's for sure, right, Kate. As a question on Pagereon, if you look at Joshneler's underlying metrics and his average with nobody on base compared to with runners on it's a significant increase in a positive direction when he's table setting. How do you guys feel about Naylor being the leadoff hitter?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny because you think about a guy that, by the numbers, as he points out, hits well with nobody else base and then steals bases. Doesn't feel like he should be stealing bases, but he does do some things that a leadoff hitter does. But I don't know if Naylor's overall hit well enough for the year to warrant being in a leadoff spot. Josh Naylor points over the last even week has been down hitting what's sixth because he's not hitting third or fourth. HeSE he's content he's consistently been moved down the lineup because he hasn't hit enough. I don't know if you can really justify him hitting lead off and.
Speaker 2: He only gets one guaranteed at bat every game with no one on base. Otherwise it's the same as everyone else. Yeah, I don't think that part's that much different. I also think the numbers lie a little bit. So he Kate's mentioning the average, and he's right. The average is significantly different between bases empty and runners on base is empty. Josh Nayler's hitting two ninety three, runners on base he's hitting two seventeen. I would tell you those pretty massive, massive difference. Yeah, Josh Nayeler's WRC plus with the with runners on as ninety four. With the bases empty, it's only one oh three. Yeah, it's not that different, right, He's just he doesn't slug at all, and he doesn't walk by the way when there's nobody on, which is kind of what you want your leadoff hitter to do with no one on. He's got a four and a half percent walk rate with runners on, he has an eleven percent walk rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't think it. I don't think he'll justifies it in the Mariners in the month of July too. It means, like you said, talk about a power outage. Man, he has got two extra base hits all month. He's opsing six forty five.
Speaker 2: The Mariners are currently getting a better on base percentage and ops out of their leadoff spot than when Josh Naylor does with the base is empty. Yeah, I don't think that would be the upgrade, KDE that you would be looking for. If it's somehow magically got Josh Naylor to be Josh Naylor of last season, then I think Law and I would be more interested in that. But there's right now nothing to see just that would be the case. No, Well, Nick on Patreon has quite the trade proposal. He asks, guys, how about this trade proposal? Dan Wilson goes back to the Reds for a handful of double played donut parfas from Great American Ballpark.
Speaker 1: How go to the par fays?
Speaker 2: Well, Nick gave us a bit of a review. He says, I was at a Reds game earlier this summer and the thing was amazing. Even though it says serves three to four, I ate the whole thing myself and it definitely brought me more joy than any managerial decision. Dan Wilson has ever made twelve many donuts layered with whipped cream and cinnamon toast crunch, crunch, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Unreal. Oh that does sound pretty good. Wow, Well, how.
Speaker 2: Many years does Dan I have left on his contract? Ye?
Speaker 1: See, they don't make these things public. I'm assuming one more after this year. A lot of man deals for three years. But wow, so do you those things do sound good?
Speaker 2: Do you want eight more months of Dan Wilson managing the Seattle Mariners or do you want twelve mini donuts with whipped cream and cinnamon toast crunch.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Let us know in the comments below what you think.
Speaker 2: That's that's quite a quite a proposal. Thank you for the question. Nick uh David on Patreon asks, in your opinion, does Cole Young deserve to be hitting at the top of the lineup? Not necessarily lead off, but three spot or maybe cleanup?
Speaker 1: Does Cole Young really have the profile to be hitting third? That feels a little much, doesn't it? An overall for the year, Well, he's been good. You're only talking about a one oh one ops plus most of Cole Young's value. I should say a lot of Cole Young's value for the year has been through the defensive side of the ball. He's not hitting great in the month of July. I mean, he's been had a bit of a down month this month. So I don't know. I think you can put him wherever you want in my mind, but I don't know about hitting him third. I don't think he does enough damage for that.
Speaker 2: He should stay at the bottom of the lineup. His yeah, you mentioned is July being down. I mean he's got a two seventeen on base percentage in July. I think him hitting at the bottom of the lineup is perfectly fine. The rest of the lineup has not hit very well. There's not many good cases to hit in the middle of this lineup. I don't think that guy is Cole Young. Like I think the best spot for Cole Young at the top of the lineup eventually, when he figures it out offensively over the course of a full season at the big league level, might be leadoff because he'll make some contact and he'll hopefully draw his walks maybe ten to eleven percent of the time, and he'd be on base for the Mariners that maybe a three to fifty on base percentage, but right now, no, I don't think there's anything to suggest that.
Speaker 1: I think he's a perfect nine hitter. I really do. And by the way, long term, I feel like leadoff might be more colt spot than Coal's when Colt figures it out. Not this year, but like long term.
Speaker 2: I feel like Colt might be hitting second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's true too. Col could hit second.
Speaker 2: If Colt is more of the pure hitter than Cole Young is. But I guess we'll see. They have plenty of time to prove that to us. Speaking of Colt Emerson, Dave on Patreon asks, when Brendan Donovan returns from the injured list, should the Mariner send Cole Emerson down to Tacoma to get his back going.
Speaker 1: No. I just don't know what that does, what Colt Emerson needs to work on or things that he has to fix in the major leagues. I don't think there's much more he can do. In a PCL where pitchers are just about as bad as ever down there and they don't throw a ton of strikes and they're out of the zone, I don't think it does that much good for him at this point, now that he's been up and played two months in the big leagues, I think for where Colt Emerson's at, he's just got to grow from this. He's just got to learn from this. He's just got to evolve from this. And I don't think him going back down to Triple A is gonna help him do much of that.
Speaker 2: Everything he just said is true. I do think if the Mariners have Leo Revoss down there from last year, they would send him down because at some point you put you got to prioritize the games at the big league level over development. The problem is Leo Revos, according to Ryan Davish, has vertigo, I think, and he's not even playing, So the Mariners don't really have a shortstop replacement Intocoma for Cole Emerson even if they wanted to. That means he should stay right up here, and the Mariners are just gonna have to accept while he is figuring things out at the plate, that his lineup spot is gonna be tough for a while. I mean it. In July he has a WRC plus of negative twenty nine. It's been really bad. Yeah, so he's gonna have some stuff to figure out and the Mariners just don't have many more options. And no, JP Crawford back at shortstop the way he's heetting is not an option. No, No, I guess you're gonna have a below average offensive player at shortstop. Just have it be Colt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just gotta let him build through this. Unfortunately. I know it's frustrating, but I just don't think he gets that much from going back to Tacoma.
Speaker 2: No, all right, we got one last question. This is from Ryan on Patreon. Ryan's question is is it possible that Kirby was capped at eighty pitches on Monday because there is some kind of preliminary trade in the works and they're trying to protect his arm ahead of finalizing the trade.
Speaker 1: So it's funny. I was talking to my dad about this before we even got the question. My dad brought it up and he said, the two of you mentioned Kirby's lack of success the third time through the order a lot we do. It's very true, George Kirby is not pitch well the third time through the order for a lot of his career, so he threw out there. Do you think they pulled him for the idea of keep his line clean, and it helps just a little bit his market while trying to deal him around to other teams if he's shopped around on the trade market. I think that idea, paired with what Ryan's saying right here about keeping his arm fresh and keeping him healthy possible. Yeah, No, for sure, we don't have sourced information behind this one way or the other. I still believe that if the Mariners were trying to do everything possible to win that game on Monday, that despite winning it, George Kirby should have kept pitching. Because if it's between Kirby the third time through and your absolute like low leverage bullpen arms, you go with Kirby, who's throwing really well through eighty pitches. But if you're trying to maximize his trade value and you want to make sure he's one healthy and two not getting crushed the third time through, it's not the craziest thought.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's crazy. Other I think it's totally a totally reasonable explanation for that. And for me, it's one hundred percent about keeping him healthy, less so about a cra I don't know if the other team would care that much about his era on the Mariners. They know who he is, they know what his stuff is like. They do care that he's healthy and that he has enough bullets for them at the trade deadline. It would be kind of early, though, because that happened on what is it, Friday?
Speaker 1: If it happens again its Monday, no, yeah, But if it happens again in his next turn through the rotation, that's going to be telling.
Speaker 2: Hmm, now, that would be that would be kind of telling. So let's keep an eye out for that. George Kirby makes his start on the road, how many pitches does he throw? Because it is that kind of It is that time of year and all these reports out that the Mariners are shopping around their starting pitchers. I wouldn't say it's more likely than not that one of them gets traded, but this is certainly as much noise as we've heard about them ever trading a starting pitcher at this deadline. Since this group's come together, yeah, I mean, we've floated a ton of ideas out there. It's just usually not substantiated from other sources. But now we have multiple big Nash store reporters talking about the Mariners trading as starting pitcher, and it just makes too much sense at this point with everything they've done with this rotation this year, with the six man rotation, that they're not actively trying to trade one of them away to make their team better.
Speaker 1: It's the only thing that really makes sense. I think. Well, good stuff you guys always bring in with the mailbag questions. If you want to get in on these mailbag questions, you can go sign up for our Patreon and you get priority on these every single week if you send us a question with that, that'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download these episodes. If you're listening, please make sure to go leave that five star review on Apple or Spotify or whatever audio platform you're using. If you're on YouTube, just take a second to hit the subscribe button. Just you see it. Just go click the subscribe button on YouTube. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot Com. Episodes are there. Patreon's all there, all of our podcast merches there. That's marine layerpod dot com. Then buy us on social media. We're posting content every day across all of our platforms at Marine Layer Pod. That's t J. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.