Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting.
Speaker 2: On here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in art?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: No, look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 1: We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 5: Out of Robert Redford on our minds, of course, with his recent passing and the top five Robert Redford movies lists that we're both working on for our upcoming show. Fair to say, All the President's Men is a lock for that list. It's definitely not one we have to do homework on because we recently talked about it on the show. Just a couple of years ago. We did in All the President's Men review as part of our seven from seventy six Best Year Ever series.
Speaker 2: And it happens to be one of those movies that even for that review, I may not have needed to rewatch it because I probably have seen it about one hundred times, or certainly scenes from it. I love the movie that much. But I do remember rewatching it for that conversation, because of course I would, and like all of those sacred cow conversations, any kind of revisit, you see new things every time, and I remember digging into some scenes in particular. It was a very rewarding rewatch hopefully it was a rewarding listen then and will be now. That seven from seventy six series was a good one. We talked about Taxi Driver Network, Rocky. We saw a movie that I think we both watched for the first time, car Wash Barbara Coppoles Harlan County, USA, was one that I had seen many times before, or at least multiple times, but we had to include it in another new one. Shantel Ackerman's News from Home. So a great series, and All the President's Men was a cornerstone of it. We hope you enjoy this conversation, and we remind you that the Film Spotting Archive access to it is just one of the benefits you get as a member of the film Spotting Family. You can learn more about that at film Spotting family dot com. From February twenty twenty one, here is That's seven from seventy sixth review of All the President's.
Speaker 6: Men, Hi, Adam and Josh. This is Amy from Germantown with a few rambling thoughts about All the President's Men. When Merk Peltz died in two thousand and eight, and everyone said deep Throat died, but for me, the death of Deep throat was just last month with the passing of Hal Holbrook. I'm always thinking of him. In that dimly led cigarette, Smokey look tensely trying to keep Robert Redford focus.
Speaker 3: Si Gritty said, don concentrate on sigrette. You'll miss the overall. The letter, the letter that destroyed the muskie candidates, the conneclar Did that come from inside the work? You're missing the overall?
Speaker 4: What overall?
Speaker 3: They were riding a musket Look who got destroyed.
Speaker 6: It's such a great performance in a film that's jam packed with them. Can't asked how much do I have to know about Watergate? And I said none, because it's not a movie about water Date. It's a movie about journalism and grit and the grind and oh oh boy to Woodward and Bernstein, grind, I mean the newsroom is noisy and conversations are convoluted and truth is elusive. And I am mesmerized by Hoffmann and Medford. I mean we sort of accidentally trip into their story and they trip into their partnership, and we root for them. We want them to find something, We want them to find anything, and we empathize as they drive and make phone calls and call and drive. I mean they feel like they really relive in those cluttered desks and that they're really irritated by the noise. From that first bang of the typewriter keys to the final drone of the teletype, you just know you're watching something special. Thanks for letting your ramble in.
Speaker 2: Bye, Thank you, Amy. Josh My prompt to you about the sixth highest Growl film with seventy six, which also earned eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, winning four of them, and did for journalism school what Top Gun would do ten years later for naval recruits. My prompt to you was going to be simply to challenge you to spot the lie. Give me one part of Amy's litany of praise that you take issue with. But I do have one other thing on my mind. Eight months ago, we discussed a classic movie on this show that came out ten months prior to Alan Pocula's All the President's Men and also garnered a Best Picture nomination, Steven Spielberg's Jaws. The review was due to Jaws celebrating its forty fifth anniversary, but we had no idea going in just how relevant the killer shark movie featuring a dangerous huckster mayor and citizens who almost literally on Fourth of July weekend, choose liberty over the warnings of experts, would turn out to be in June twenty twenty, in contrast, we decided to start this seven from seventy six series with All the President's Men precisely because of its timeliness. A movie about the investmentgation and cover up that led to a president resigning in disgrace seemed all too perfect to consider the same week the Senate is about to take up an impeachment trial. Sadly, we're also talking about All the Presidents Men. The same week we learned of the passing of How Hulbrook, who plays Bob Woodwards, connected contact known as Deep Throat Jaws, one of the most well made thrillers ever, didn't seem timely, and terrifyingly was All the President's Men couldn't be more timely? Yet, I don't have a single comment or reflection in my notes that could be construed as political, only comments about the craft. What about you?
Speaker 5: Oh well, let me fill in the gap at him. Okay, No, I mean I'm not going to make this as political as Jaws. Wow, was that a cathartic review that was so much fun? I think it's because, yeah, as watching it, All the President's Men largely takes place in a different timeframe from where we're at right now. You know, all the stuff we're about to get into in real life in the next week or so comes after the movie, after the credits roll. This is kind of the lead up to it is what we're seeing here. And also they're very different scandals. You know, they're very different atrocities, let's say, committed against democracy. So I don't think there are quite as many one to one comparisons. At the same time, watching it, you know, you do realize in both cases the levels of obfuscation that are at play in something like this where you recognize that the malfeasance starts at the very top and is directed from the very top, but how many layers of protection there are put in place? Maybe more so in the time of All the President's Men. That's what they have to kind of investigate their way through, right, is to get to the top and maybe the you know, the maddening thing about our current situation is that it's so clearly coming from the top down. I mean, there is video recorded. Anytime you say to an insurrectionist, we love you, I think you've got your evidence. So there's a distinction there as well. So yeah, I think this isn't quite as one to one politically. Maybe the phrase the scene that we started out with also has some resonance not very bright guys at the top of the show. I mean, anytime Adam, the remaining member of your cabinet is the my pillow guy, I think we can also say, yeah, not very bright guys. But sure, here's another point of comparison between the two eras. There are very bright enablers, and that is what is scarier than you know, clearly scarier than my pillow. Goofball, and you see that this is something else that Woodward and Bernstein have to investigate their way through, implicate and prove the participation of are the enablers, and that we've seen has also a factor of our current situation. So yeah, I think there are some parallels, inevitably, maybe not as strong as we thought, probably not as strong as Jaws. It's not what I came away from this movie with, for sure. The first thing I came away from this revisit was just a high, as you said, Adam, about journalism, just like a giddy high about the craft that is that work, the work of journalism, and the craft of all the President's men to depict and capture it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had that same giddy high, though less about journalism and more about filmmaking. This is just one of those movies. No matter how many times I see it, I recognize how much I love deep in my bones. And it has nothing to do with nostalgia. This isn't about when I saw this movie or how I saw it. It's not about my relationship really even to the subject matter. I'm not talking about an almost famous type situation here. For me, I am just so pleased with the storytelling, which in this case is synonymous with the filmmaking, to the point where I almost literally can't keep a smile off my face, and I feel a charge because of every choice that is being made. And I'll give one other example real quick. You know this, I've tweeted about it before. It just seems that once a year I'll end up putting the Departed on a movie I really loved and I think I had as the second best movie of that year. But it wasn't necessarily a movie I saw at the time and said, oh, this is, you know, Pantheon level Scorsese. But there it is on Netflix, and Josh, whenever I just kind of need a movie on in the background, I just kind of want something to distract me maybe occasionally, to take my mind off whatever I'm working on. And inevitably with that movie, I do get lost in it. And I had that moment with The Departed just this past Saturday, and every time it happens, annually Sarah will walk in the room and she'll shake her because I look like an idiot sitting there with a goofy grin plastered on my face and a quick sidebar. Anybody who bemoans that movie winning Best Picture like it was a lifetime achievement for Scorsese. Sorry, couldn't disagree more. Nevertheless, All the President's Men, despite being the antithesis of The Departed in so many ways, except it is, Josh, if you think about it, a movie as well that's about organized crime and corruption. It's obviously the way less ostentatious and in your face, it's way more. All the Resident Men is deliberately paced. There's no use of music or similar use of music on the soundtrack, but it's the exact same experience for me. I love every single moment of the writing, of the performances, and of the direction. And of course this is where the filmmaking then crosses over into journalism. This is the ultimate procedural procedural in the truest sense. This is a movie that is just about the work, and there are so many examples we could list. But even going back to your political comparison, we don't really get to ever know or really even see Richard Nixon as a character in this movie. Right except for that very beginning, which I had actually somehow forgotten about. I could have sworn all the presidents meant, which I just saw in the past year. Actually with my kids, I could have sworn it open just with the heist, you know, the lights going on, the cop finding the door. But we do get that little prelude with Nixon giving the State of the Union address, But otherwise we only get Nixon information as it relates to the post, as it relates to this story these journalists are following. There's no real wider philosophical conversations about politics or the media, and if there are any conversations that skew close to it. It's always in the context of what the post is doing and how it affects them and the choices they're making, and even that opening proper the burglars just going about their work methodically. It's all rendered very pragmatically, right. I Pakula doesn't lean into the suspense or kind of the coolness of the heightst like so many movies do. Here again, there's no music underneath it to live in it up even the way it's foiled. That security guard just doing his job just happens to walk in the door, notices a door is unlocked, finds it suspicious that there's some tape over it. And I like even that the cops who ultimately arrest the burglars don't want to do it, like they're off going on some other job and they're playing closed detectives, but they're closer to the Watergate and they end up doing it. This is obvious to say, but just think about how much of the running time of all the Presidents Men is about doing the work of journalism, chasing leads, chasing threads, sitting at desks, making phone call after phone call after phone call, being in the car knocking on doors, just relentlessly pursuing any bit of information they can and having to secure a certain number of confirmations right before they can run a story. There's just this process to it all, and we'll get more into the actual craft of it and Gordon Willis's cinematography later, I think. But the sheer number of shots sitting at desks in the newsroom that showcase the entire newsroom, all the buzzing in the background, the chatter amongst reporters and editors, the phone calls, the typing, it all reinforces it and finally, Josh, to get back to what you were saying. In terms of the enablers, there is obvious brilliance in William Goldman's screenplay, and somehow it really wasn't until this time that I recognized just how simple it is. And Sophie, my daughter, rewatched this movie with me. She loves the movie now too, And of course she doesn't have as much of a historical relationship to Nixon or Watergate or this film. She doesn't know who Haldeman is or Erlickman is, and all the names and the different threads these reporters are chasing kind of lose her a little bit, and I get it, But when you really break it down, this whole movie is just about them trying to determine the five names who controlled the slush fund, because if they can do that, and if one of those five names happens to work in the White House, happen to report right to the president, then that's it. That's that's everything. That's what breaks this whole thing wide open, And if you really do follow it from start to finish, that's all they're ever doing. It's not like they're off on a bunch of different tangents trying to take down President Nixon and all of his corruption. They're just trying to determine how checks from the committee to re elect the president got in the hands of Watergate burglars, and it just so happens it goes all the way up to the president.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I don't think it's the movie's goal to be able to help you trace the line all the way directly. This is not a newspaper report. It's a dramatization of the report, which seems obvious to say, but I think you need to make that distinction because you could come away from all the President's men disappointed if you didn't have a full understanding of Watergate. I don't think it necessarily gives you that. It gives you, as you're saying, the broad strokes, the goals of Woodward and Bernstein, and crucially how they went about doing their job. I mean you could say that Goldman's screenplay kind of you know, that last meeting with deep Throat just kind of unravels everything for them in a way we don't really see right that comes out in all in the montage of the ensuing newspaper articles, so we don't see the final threads being drawn together. Again, that's not the purpose of the movie. So thinking of you smiling while watching this, my exact same experience, just sitting there, started smiling very soon into it, chuckling at moments. Here's a moment and this goes back to how it was sort of a journalism high for me. When Woodward is on the phone and to my last point, I don't remember exactly who this was, but he hears the guy say, I know I shouldn't be telling you this.
Speaker 2: That's it, and it's just like it's one of the greatest moments. I love movie.
Speaker 5: His face but also just I let out a yeah, you know, and that is let me be clear about this, Adam. I was never an investigative journalist, okay, but I did do my share of real reporting at the beginning of my career. Kind of the deal with the devil I had to make when I went to my local town newspaper said I want to write movie reviews. You don't have movie reviews, don't you desperately need movie reviews? And the editor was like, yeah, sure, kid, but you know what, You're gonna have to go cover the local school board for me first, then I'll let you write a movie review. So one school board meeting, one movie review. That guy his name was rich Parmonar. He's no longer with us, but he was like basically the Ben Bradley of weekly suburban newspapers. I mean he was so over school, so intense. To him, A story about like water rates was Watergate, I mean it was it was high stakes in his mind. So anyway, that's kind of where I spent a year or two doing that stuff, making the phone calls, getting hung up on, knocking on enough doors to you know, get exactly what you needed. And it was never in my block, like I knew how to do that, and I could do it. I wasn't as passionate about it as I was about movies, obviously, but just remembering those experiences and going on to work in larger newsrooms where there were real reporters two deaths over and I could hear them making those calls to bigger politicians and knowing what was going on. It was such a thrill to be re immersed in that. And I think a part of it is just the fact that and here we can move to the craft. It's so tactile, it's so carefully observed, it's so knowing, and it's so analog. I mean, I think it is crucial that this movie came out and is capturing a time that was pre digital for the most part, because it really just emphasized not that it's necessarily quote unquote easier to do this kind of work now, but you've got a lot more tools and there are a lot more resources then having to go into the you know, here's another thing that I just chuckled that when Wood where it has to go down to the library and pull out the phone books, the actual phone books.
Speaker 2: And I actually said to Sophie, have you ever actually even used a phone book exactly?
Speaker 5: And that was part of the work, that was part of the job. So yeah, this is just such a joy to watch. And speaking of the newsroom, here's where you're right in how you describe all the President's men as being restrained in terms of filmmaking and not flashy. But this is a movie that uses multiple split diopter shots.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're going to get there, and most of.
Speaker 5: Them are of Woodward just working on the phone. I think there's one of him in a phone booth as well, a payphone booth outside, but most of them are at his desk, and then he's in focus in the foreground, and then in the background is that newsroom in focus, the people, the other phones, the piles of paper on the desks. And for me, that not only provided this tactile context I'm talking about, but it also captured the laser focus you got to have if you're on deadline, just absolute laser focus. There might be a bigger story going on behind you. And I think there is a split diapter shot where I don't remember exactly what it is, but everyone else in the newsroom is gathered around a television. That story at that point was probably bigger than the one Wouldward was working on. But for him, it doesn't matter. Your story, the one that's due in twenty minutes is the biggest story of your life. And the split diapter shot captures that intensity in just an amazing way that is not flashy but so crucial.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I know there are people out there listening right now who probably work in newsrooms and are journalists, and maybe they will completely contradict me on this, but it occurs to me, Josh, that as you talk about the analog world of all the President's men, I wonder how different the Washington Post newsroom in nineteen seventy two and nineteen seventy four was compared to the Washington Post newsroom now, a world in which we're all texting all the time, in which we're communicating even in the office when we're a few feet from each other via Slack some other platform. So that all ties back to me to another aspect of the craft here, which is how sensory it is and the use of sound. And let's go ahead and give credit. I didn't know this until I looked it up today. It won the Oscar for Best Sound Mixing in nineteen seventy seven. Arthur planted do Se Dick. Alexander less fresholts, what a remarkable job with this movie, because all it does is just kind of hum in the background, sometimes more noticeable than others, but it's always there, just adding tension. You're leaning in to hear it. Those sounds evoke the anxiety the characters are feeling. I'm thinking even of like the sounds in the courtroom when Woodward goes and he's bugging the guy, the lawyer, who says, it just got really there. It's so great.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, what is your name?
Speaker 2: I'm Bob Woodward in the Washington Post.
Speaker 4: Mark them, Markham, mark them. Are you hearing connection with the Water Bay burglary?
Speaker 6: I'm not here?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, clearly I am here.
Speaker 3: It only as an individual, were not as the attorney of record.
Speaker 7: Who is.
Speaker 4: Mister Starkey?
Speaker 7: Do you have any whatever you.
Speaker 4: Want you don't have to get from him. I have nothing more to say.
Speaker 2: The way they shoot the moments when the judge is talking and when the burglars come before him is from their point of view, so we can't really hear what's being said. It's not like a traditional kind of courtroom movie shot. So again we just kind of hear the process play out. We hear those courtroom sounds, the sounds of the burglars going about their work. Like I mentioned earlier, the slips of paper at the Library of Congress. As the camera you know, elevates and we see them overhead and we see how kind of diminished they are by the scope of this and the work. But you hear very prominently in the soundtrack every slip of paper that they are going through, even in the parking garage. Not only are you so attuned, of course to any sounds, because you become as paranoid as deep throat and Woodward are. There's also a great moment coming out of that Library of Congress scene, and we could just spend the whole review talking about moments like this, but there is as that camera elevates up this kind of droning sound, it starts to feel like the pressure is mounting a little bit. It's kind of ominous. And then we see them emerge from the door, I mean, they pull the cars. The music stops, it cuts immediately, and it just makes you feel instantly like they've emerged from some kind of hibernation, right, or they've been lost to the world searching down this lead and they couldn't find it, and in that moment they erupt from the door. But it's it's just subtle moments like that with the sound design to make this movie so special.
Speaker 5: That first example you gave of the courtroom, which comes fairly early on Woodward, seeing the defendants line up and not being able to hear them. That's a great journalistic detail too, because he grabs his notepad, he knows he needs this, he desperately needs this. He turns his head to hear it, he can't. And that was another thing that was like just such a flashback whenever you were there and someone was speaking and that was your one shot to get the information you needed, and it captures that desperation so well. The sound of the movie, though, Adam, the defining sound of all the President's men, the typewriters, of course, and that is, you know, just that is a suspense thing too. You almost don't need a soundtrack of music soundtrack in this film because when people are typing, the speed with which they're typing captures all the suspense and the momentum that you need, and we get that so many times here, and that's a marker of the eras when you were talking about what does the Post newsroom look like now compared to that, I mean, that's a key turning point is when the typewriters left the room and the weekly I worked at had them. When I went to a bigger paper just a year or two later didn't have them. And it was a bigger newsroom, but it was a quieter one. So that goes back to the idea of sound design. And that's just so defining when I think of All the President's Men? Is that clacking in the background.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned one of these already. I think there are two, at least two just magical scenes and All the President's Men. One that I'm sure has been and will continue to be studied in film school and one that probably has been overlooked, but to me is almost as brilliant, and I'll start with that one. They actually follow each other in the movie. The one that is less obvious is the editors meeting. There's two of them, where Bradley and the other section editors are going through the rundown of what articles they've got. They're deciding how they're going to lay out the paper, what the top stories are going to be. And the first one is an extended one. And there is something about it, Josh, in terms of the cross talk, you know, the overlapping dialogue there, the camaraderie that they have, the ease that the actors that the men in that scene have with each other.
Speaker 1: I was having launch at the San Suit Si this White House guy, a good one. A pro came up and asked, what is this Watergate compulsion with you?
Speaker 5: Gompulsion?
Speaker 4: And I'm sorry this.
Speaker 1: Is I said, well, we think it's important. And he said, if it's so goddamn important, now they're Woodward and Burnstack. Now what do you expect you to say from the White House? You're doing a great job. Why do you ask what he's really state?
Speaker 2: I truly think it's a masterclass of performance and film directing, because watching it, I feel as if they did somehow without trying to ape a documentary style. There's nothing about it that is suggesting it's a documentary, and yet it feels to me like what it almost surely could have been like if they had dropped a camera back into that newsroom and I don't know how you get that. I don't know how you can suggest that sense of a shared experience among those people without probably at minimum a lot of rehearsal. Right, But even with all that rehearsal, you still got to pull it off. And it blows me away every time I watch it.
Speaker 5: Honestly, It's got to be one of the two opposite directions, right, it's got to be just extreme rehearsal to the point of them being able to do it in their sleep and then just going out and doing it, or it's got to be like, here's what we want you guys to talk about where we need to get to in this scene. Have at it and it's completely improvised. Now, I think it's probably closer to the former than the latter, given what we know about the film. But still, yeah, it's just an astonishing example of realism. And every performance is like that, you know. I mean you could say that maybe the one perform that stands out a little bit to this regard is Hoffman's as Bernstein, But it's hard to say that because Bernstein is supposed to be kind of a jumpy guy, right, He's it's part of his character that makes him seem a little less quote unquote realistic. But Redford is so naturalistic here, just so at ease in this every guy reporters skin that you forget how good looking he is because he kind of he manages to to like play that down without you know, playing a part where he needs like makeup or to look slovenly or anything. He just comes across as this guy who wants to do his job. Part of it is maybe the impatience he shows as Woodward too, that I think is like he's not trying to be a dream about he has no time for chit chat when he's on the phone, you know where where's Bernstein's more of a cajoler. That's kind of his style is let's be friends. I'm going to get this information out of you. And Woodward is like, I'm going to be persistent. I'm just going to keep at it, go at until I get that tidbit that I need. But it is just such a naturalistic performance by Redford that I think is a hallmark really of almost every other performance in the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other magic scene I was going to talk about here is probably Redford's best showcase in the entire film. You already mention the key moment in terms of him just praying to himself that the guy on the other end of the line will actually finish the sentence after saying I probably shouldn't say this. But it's also that split diopter scene, the most noticeable one that you were referencing, and you said, Josh that there's stuff happening in the background that is probably more important. But there's a reason why Pakula and Gordon willis give this scene and that moment the attention it deserves because this is where it does all converge and the story that justifies the whole movie finally take shape. So for people who know and this is another case where you can kind of connect Jaws to all the President's men, right in terms of a famous use of a split diopter, not that there aren't other many examples in cinema history, but a diapter shot simply kind of gives you the best of both worlds in terms of shallow focus and deep focus. Instead of lighting it in a way and shooting it so that you see everything that's happening in the newsroom, it forces you as a viewer to still stay focused on what's in the foreground. So in this case, on the right side of the frame, even though it's kind of at a slant, you're just looking at Redford pretty much in medium close up. Everything behind him is out of focus, but everything that's to the left of the frame behind Redford is in sharp focus just like he is. That's because of the diopter, and people do all kind of surround this TV. At one point, it's the press conference announcing that Eagleton is bowing out of the VP race. So this is the big news and all of the real commotion occurs at the very moment. Kenneth Dalberg answers the phone.
Speaker 1: Could I please mister Dalberg. Kenneth Dalberg, Yes, this is Bob Woodward of the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: And in terms of filmmaking, it's such a great trick because it simultaneously as a viewer, distracts you, which then forces you to pay further attention to what Woodward is doing to experience.
Speaker 5: Focus your experience in his distraction.
Speaker 2: That's it. So you have to keep your focus on him. You have to keep your focus on Dalberg just like Woodward does. And in some ways I think it's kind of a little bit of a joke on the audience, because politics, of course, in America, the real issue is that we're always distracted. The media is always distracted by the horse race, the gas, the personal failings, and not the corruption that might be actually occurring right in front of your face. This whole scene actually vividly portrays that, right, because everybody in the newsroom is going crazy about Eagleton having to bow out this kind of scandal surrounding him, but the undoing of the presidency is happening in the moment Kenneth Dalberg says those words, and then the masterstroke of just so subtly reducing that depth of the shot, focusing inch by inch even more on Woodward until we are finally on him and close up. It's a six minute scene. It plays out over the course of six minutes, one long take. As you suggested, Redford is so brilliant, and if the writing is brilliant, it catches you so off guard, even the Dalberg line where he says, I've just been through a terrible ordeal.
Speaker 4: My neighbor's wife has been kidnapped.
Speaker 1: Well, how do you think your check got into Barker's accounts?
Speaker 2: He just keeps up keeps his eye on the prize. He's not going to be distracted there. And then when Dalberg hangs up and he calls Clark McGregor for a quote, You've got that other great Goldman bent, which maybe came from the book, where MacGregor says, I if you print that, our relationship will be over, and Woodward says, sir, we have no relationship. There's just these lines like that that really keep you on your toes and keep you laughing, and you mention Redford's kind of impatience. There's an urgency to it. He just keeps saying, well, what do you think it could be? He's trying to keep Dalberg on the line, him talking, and it eventually does pay off. And that moment when he says it, I know I shouldn't be telling you this. Redford's muttering to himself and closing his eyes. Just the ultimate please God moment really is remarkable. And there are other subtle acting moments too. When Dalberg says, stands, that's the moment that it now connects to the president, and at that very moment, Redford just kind of subtly looks up, you know, maybe just for a second, he looked down at his notes, and now when he says stands, he looks up and it's almost as if the camera had done a slow tilt in that moment. Only Redford does it for us where we go, okay, we now recognize fully the magnitude of this situation. And again that's why I think this moment gets this treatment in the movie, because up to this point they've come from the Library of Congress, they made all these phone calls, they're hitting every dead end, they don't seem to have a story. And it's only when Dalberg says that that then everything comes together. So, of course, from a filmmaking point of view, Pekola heightens the intensity of it and the focus of it for us as viewers as well. Like I said, it's six minutes long, but it's got to be one of the most effective, but at the same time modest long takes in cinema, because it barely even registers as a long take because of all that activity in the foreground and the background, the bouncing between calls, the way it draws you to what is being said and the consequences of those revelations is what keeps it from being about the Breva cinema that it actually is.
Speaker 5: There's another moment that works similarly without that level of breva, even different techniques, but it works similarly. It involves Hoffmann. Interestingly, it's a red herring as opposed to this, you know gold moment, and that is when Bernstein is on the phone trying to get one of those confirmations. You know that Bradley keeps telling them they need multiple confirmations. Bernstein bristles at this, but he's doing the work. He's calling this guy on deadline needs a confirmation. The guy won't name the name, but so Bernstein lets out this this game.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm gonna count to ten. All right, if there's any reason we should hold on the story, hang up the phone before I get to ten. If the story's all right, you'll just be on the phone after I get to ten, all right, hang up right, that's right, you got it straight, all right, I'm gonna start counting, okay, well all right, yeah, okay, I'm counting one.
Speaker 5: You know you're confused. That's the point. What are you trying to do here? But we think, okay, the other guy understands. We're gonna find out now if this gets confirmed and Bernstein starts counting to ten, and what what do we do here? No fancy camera work, no editing, stay right on Hoffman's face as he counts from one to ten. Now, you could, you know, cut away to create suspense. You could cut away to something else going on the newsroom and knowing that we as an audience, we just want to get back to that countdown, Come on and elongate it, you know, between the counts of two and three, give us a couple of seconds of some other business so that we're impatient. And when we get back, we're still on three, and we're like, come on, no, that's not the choice. Nothing fancier than setting on this medium shot again of Bernstein's face as he's counting, waiting till we get to ten. And that's just an example of the restraint that all the presidents men also knows how to employ when necessary. Kind of gear shifting here, give us different, you know, ways of feeling that tension, feeling that suspense so it doesn't become overbearing or wear us out, keep us on our toes. And in this moment, it's by just being very simple and straightforward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe it's because i'd seen the movie enough times I did grasp. As confusing as it is the way Bernstein explains it, I was aware that if he got to ten and the guy was still on the line, then that's good news for Bernstein. Sure what happens then. What happens then is as he's counting slowly but with some pace, you know, you're realizing the stakes.
Speaker 4: Well, all right, yep, okay, I'm counting one, two, three, four.
Speaker 2: Every time he counts, he's getting closer to what he wants, right to what he wants. Yeah, right, So then that urgency builds in you as well as a viewer. I was hyper aware of that this time. And we've talked a little bit about how good Redford is here. I think Hoffman is equally good. You're right, in a very different kind of performance. There are so many good ones here. But we've got to say something about Jason Robarts. Is Ben Bradley?
Speaker 3: All right? Hey, what do you guys want?
Speaker 4: The GAO reports do out the morning and Nixon's renomination, Hey, shitouts, Now that's two weeks from now. It's just the early responsible to Congress. There is no way a White House can control the investigation. There's a source of a general accounting that tells us that there's a whole rat snut civility going on over creek, like what like a slush phone, hundreds of thousands of dollars of unaccounted for care, hundreds of thousands of dollars Any comment from creep, Yeah, unavailable for comment. They're not talking. But what else beside the money? Where's the goddamn story?
Speaker 5: Probably my favorite performance, I mean really, I mean the most enjoyable, the most enjoyable.
Speaker 2: The most enjoyable. And and how about the way he introduced.
Speaker 5: Jay ratio to line to gold Lined Robards has it by a mile?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's it's one to one exactly. That's why there's there is no ratio. That's how good this performance is, and how good the writing is. How about the way he's even introduced just kind of classical Hollywood filmmaking, where we only hear about Ben Bradley, we only see him in his office talking to other reporters. This is where the sound comes into play, where we can't hear what they're saying, which builds a little bit of suspense around him, a little bit of mystery. And then when he finally does come out and converse with our heroes as he takes the red pen to their story. I think that's the moment where we see him walk over, and it's one of those great tracking shots through the newsroom. The camera is kind of just at a slight low angle, which gives him a little bit more even gravitas than he already has. And then that moment where he says to bury it inside, and Hoffman gets so mad and Robarts just turns his head and gives him a stern look. Oh, and you see, you see Hoffman like a seven year old boy just realize what he's done and get instantly quiet.
Speaker 5: Well, it's beyond one to one ratio because each look he gives in this movie is gold as well. He doesn't even a dialogue, and now he gives a couple of those stairs, those hard stairs, which is basically like, this conversation has been over before you even started talking. This is what he's telling about.
Speaker 2: Well, and the way the movie takes note and the way we then take note as viewers of his mood and his reaction in response to things. When he says something like where's the goddamn story? You see that that's the first time we've actually seen Bradley get Matt. It's been building to that because he's been in a lot of conversations that we've been part of, like those editors meetings where we know that he's starting to finally feel some heat. Woodward and Bernstein don't fully understand that, but he's starting to feel it, and it comes out just an expression of anger like that, the tone of his voice. You know, he's not messing around. And in those moments they cut to Woodward and Bernstein's faces and it's where they recognize that he's not messing around. Something has changed. The tenor of this has completely changed the scene at the end, the whole thing about get in the bath fifteen minutes, you screw up again, I'm going to get angry. I mean, what's better writing than that? And better delivery of lines in all of movies? And I'll give you another one, even though there's probably ten more. The ken Clawsen phone call when ken Clawson realizes what he's done and realizes the hole he's in and calls Ben Bradley to try to straighten it out. Yeah, and Robards plays it like he knows exactly what ken Clawson is up to. He knows he's got him, he knows he can use this against him to get the information that he wants. And the smile when he says ken as he picks up the phone is just like he can't wait to give Clawson a little dig and manipulate him. It is truly one of my favorite performances ever, and thankfully it didn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
Speaker 1: God damn.
Speaker 4: And what is somebody gonna go on the record in his story?
Speaker 3: You guys are about to write a story that says the former Attorney General, the highest ranking law enforcement officer in this country, is a crook.
Speaker 4: Just be sure you're right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a thrill. We should also probably say a few words about Holbrook with his passing and you know, one of the things that jumped out at me. I mentioned this to you already, but why is he younger than I remembered? You know, I think of Holbrook as this you know, older actor with the white hair and his even his face here is just so young. That jumped out at me. But also the key to this performance as deep throat is all for me in that final conversation, because what he's doing in the in the previous ones very effective, you know, in terms of leading us on and tantalizing, not giving us too much, just as he's not giving Woodword too much and playing that cool but also mysterious. But it's that last conversation where he goes from this mesmerizing mystery man to a guy who's scared.
Speaker 3: Specific how high him. You're a fine enough for yourself. I don't like newspapers, I don't care for innings, attitute and shoutow on us. It creeps slush fun that financed the red We've just about got that nailed down. I don't know how to change cabs.
Speaker 5: That's when, you know, we start to realize, as Woodward does, the level of what is at stake here, not just for this story, but for the nation, for the for democracy really. And it's that little shift that Holbrook gives in the performance for the final scene that is building on everything he did in the previous scenes, but also doing something just slightly but crucially different.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another great supporting performance in this movie that offers similarly wonderful moments. Jane Alexander, the former secretary to Hugh Sloan, who they finally do cajole into talking to them and giving them a lot of good information. The look she gives when her sister offers and Stein coffee, that's great, Like, what are you doing? I'm so trying to avoid every part of this, and you just asked him to stay and basically guaranteed he's gonna be here five to ten minutes. And she's just so vulnerable and so scared. But she's also clearly indignant.
Speaker 7: I thought it was all legal. I mean, I guess I did until after the break in, when I remember Gordon.
Speaker 3: Got so much of it.
Speaker 7: This is mister Liddy. It's also rotten. It's getting worse. And the only one I care about is Hugh Sloan. His wife was going to leave him if he didn't stand up and do what was right, so he quit.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering if Hugh Sloan was being set up now as a fall guy for John Mitchell, what do you think.
Speaker 7: If you guys could get John Mitchell, that would be you see the backbone?
Speaker 2: You see the backbone, see that immediately and so again. To balance that complexity as an actress, it is really pretty amazing. But I think this whole discussion has been straight out of Wichita Kansas. So we're going to wrap it up the first film in our seven from seventy six series. I don't know if we've decided what the next film is, but as we are talking about movies from nineteen seventy six, you can guarantee it will be a good one. All the President's Men is available to rent on demand on most platforms. If you agree or disagree with our takes, you can email us feedback at filmspotting dot net. Josh, a Pantheon movie has now been discussed, not many of them, but has been discussed in full here on film spot I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, maybe we should do more Pantheon discussions.
Speaker 2: That seven from seventy six series, plus eight for eighty four, Josh nine from ninety nine. We talked about six from sixty seven, didn't get to it. We may have to revive this series. Maybe we could go the other way. We don't have to keep going back in time. But all of those are available in the Film Spotting Archive. You get access to that as a Film Spotting Family member. We think all of our members and if you would like to join, you can learn more about doing that at Filmspotting Family dot com. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 3: The fine.
Speaker 2: Film spotting as listeners supported. Join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film spotting Family dot com panically