Speaker 1: Huge pod.
Speaker 2: Today we got coach Bo Polini on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't apologize for you. I don't apologize anybody.
Speaker 3: The most, the most decorated coach we've ever had. In the podcast, what's one of.
Speaker 1: Your crazier recruiting stories? Tell the porn one.
Speaker 3: Tell me about your experience as well, like recruiting him no offense? But is this guy douche?
Speaker 1: So you think you'll ever coach college again? I think signing days Absin said, we come to the sideline and Bo's just fuman.
Speaker 4: I mean, now, all the years you've known me, do you think that I would pay a letter?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not in this chair without all of that stuff, without all of those hard teachings.
Speaker 4: Next thing, you know, Deonne had him by basically by the throat, up against the wall, saying.
Speaker 2: One weekday morning I have a miscall from Bo at like six in the morning.
Speaker 4: Play Virginia Attack. They turn around. I look at him and he's looking to be and I said.
Speaker 1: You ready to go? And he's like, hm, well didn't you like when you were there? What do you thought Bo could have done better at Nebraska?
Speaker 2: If I could speak candidly? Okay, welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host Will Compton, my co host Harol Lawan. He's not here for these for this intro and these ads I'm gonna be reading in the episode the Boys at training Camp. We're dropping the bau Polini podcast. This podcast is incredible. Coach bo Polini for those of you who don't know who he is, he was my head coach at Nebraska from years two thousand and eight to twenty and thirteen. He was at Nebraska from two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Man he was only there.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I was there from twousand and eight twenty twelve, and then he was there from two thousand and eight twenty fourteen. But he's made stops. He's been in the coaching world. A very respected coach, highly regarded. Had a rough year this past year as a decorner at LSU building an insurance policy. It was during a pandemic. And you know, I love coach Posta. Please don't talk too mainly about him ever, but this was an awesome podcast.
Speaker 1: It was. It's really it was. It was.
Speaker 2: It's awesome because the last time I had sat down with coach bow and talked to him was probably in twenty and thirteen when I went back my rookie year and I hadn't seen him since, So we played golf. As you're listening to this podcast, I played golf with Bow the day before, and then we went out to Bourbon no free shout outs to Bourbon out in Nashville, and we had dinner and everything.
Speaker 1: He brought us son Patrick along with him, But.
Speaker 2: It was awesome catching up to him, catching up with him and Coach bo is single handedly the most important coach that I've had throughout my career because of what he's about and what the philosophies he teaches to his players when it comes to focusing on the process, compete every day. Anybody who's been who's my teammate at Nebraska listening to this podcast, which I'm sure everybody is, probably chuckles, because that's all he was ever about is the process. And he just talks about the type of person you are and the character you are, and you just don't You just don't come across a lot of people like Coach bo Plini anymore. He's somebody who knows who he is, he knows what he's about, he knows what he wants to teach. We get into a lot of fun topics with NIL coming out, if he wants to coach college football again, if he would want to coach again, what league would it be in, how he feels about the NIL stuff, and we talked about his time at LSU. We talked about obviously, we took a deep dive into Nebraska the bad breakup, which I alluded to, and also Taylor asked, you know, if there were negatives of coach bo, what I thought, what I would say he could get better at. And so I talk candidly as well as I could without being too nervous and telling coach bow what I think he could be better at. So it's an awesome It was an awesome podcast. This could possibly be another Mount Bus Moore just throw that around every time, no matter what.
Speaker 1: Another Mount Bus more.
Speaker 2: But if you're watching, listening, whatever, hey, please subscribe. If you don't like this, you don't have to. I don't want to force anybody to subscribe to the boys. But if you love it, if you're about it, if you're a Tier one, if you're a Tier two, any of them, you're part of the will back whatever you're about.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: If you're for the Boys. Subscribe to the Boys, leave a review. If you're watching on YouTube right now, get out of the little live chat comment because I know you guys love flooding that thing. You guys love communicating. You guys love making friendships on there. It's like we're like a social media app during our live chat during your episodes, go out and leave a real comment in the YouTube section because it helps hack the algorithm and the Boys. We need to put the Boys everywhere, man, So yeah, do all that subscribe like rate prep stars, all that fun stuff. Leave comments everywhere some house cleaning. The Boys will be hosting a watch party tailgate the third preseason game is at the third preseason game, the last home game. I know there's only three preseason games, but when the Titans play the Bears on August twenty eighth, there will be a watch party tailgate at ACME, Feed and Seed, So the Boys will be slinging merch.
Speaker 1: If I'm still unemployed.
Speaker 2: I will be there with you all and rooting for the Boys, because obviously if since I'm not playing for anybody yet, I will be for the Boys until I die. But yeah, so join us to act me anything else, buy our merch. It's awesome. We have some new shit coming out, A new ship's been dropping. They're better be flags, dude, I know Nissan Stadium. Hey, how much up percentage wise is our tickets? Or is a stat that came out? Since twenty nineteen, Nebraska ticket sales have skyrocketed sixty something percent. Tennessee ticket sales have scott what did I say?
Speaker 1: Nebraska? Oh my bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yea yeah, Well in nebrask have been sold out since the sixties, baby, so everybody's good there. But Tennessee's ticket sales of skyrocketed sixty something percent. You know what, Our podcast start in twenty nineteen. But I'm not gonna say that's a like, that's just a coincidence. I'm not gonna say it's because I'm just gonna say. I'm just gonna say that fact we started in twenty nineteen, ticket sales of one up sixty five percent or whatever it is since twenty nineteen. Uh. But what I was getting at is there better be flags. The boys flags are gonna have? Do we have flags? And hopefully I know on the YouTube will be blossom the boys will be putting these graphics up. The Boys flags also busting with the boys flags. They better be slinging everywhere during in the stadium, dur in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Uh, there was a couple last year, but obviously with COVID there can only be like fifteen thousand people at the stadium now that we're gonna be sixty five strong, I assume sold out, so there should at least there should be at least one hundred flags. So go buy the flags at barstool store dot barstoolsports dot com. You can get all the merch there Before we get into this episode. This episode is brought to you and presented by the Chevy Silverado.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're finally rolling though now, so hold on before but give Dobson to Mike. What are you doing here? Dom?
Speaker 3: You just want to you just this is the second time. Hey, no, we got a mic now for you, Dobson. Give us your your name, your age, where you're from, and an interesting fact about you. Just listen to the pod.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's none of those things.
Speaker 2: That's perfect, James Dobson. So we have Bo Polini on the podcast. Hey, let's give a everyone's fired.
Speaker 3: After the most Hey, the most decorated coach we've ever had in the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ye, by far the whole coach.
Speaker 2: And James Dobson, who sitting in the back was Dobson's or was Bow's shrink coach at Nebraska.
Speaker 1: So we were all at Nebraska together. But we're a little out numbered now. Yeah, you got kind of here. It's kind of like you could have been a part. I could have. I really could have. I was just getting red as I do.
Speaker 2: And we were at dinner last night and he was he was talking about we went to Bourbon.
Speaker 1: Yeah and you like bourbon. Oh it was good, it was delicious. It was Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nationals really kicked up the state game. Yeah, that check is different.
Speaker 2: I tried to.
Speaker 1: Hey, he get them gator arms. Oh yeah, He's like he was like, I got it. And he was like going like, look at the.
Speaker 3: First put it out there. Yeah it will does He does do that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you sure, man, and he's like yeah. I was like, all right, we got the dunkeys. But hey, he was talking about yeah, when we kind of just doing whatever you want, I was a little pissed.
Speaker 1: Off about the other and the last one shout out. Yeah, the last couple of the last lot.
Speaker 3: We did the podcast yesterday. I think it was good for about thirty minutes and then my gas really rolled out.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all. I wasn't a big fan of it. You ruined a big fan of the pod.
Speaker 2: No, the coffee, the coffee, so I'm always a fan of the pod.
Speaker 1: It was a good time. Yeah, when do you guys?
Speaker 3: You guys are like part of this new general. You guys like the ice coffee. I do like the ice coffee. Well, when it's a hot when it's ninety degrees outside.
Speaker 2: Hang on, let's you know. I don't want you to label me too quickly. I'm a black coffee guy, all right. In the mornings, I make a nice pot.
Speaker 4: I don't mind it being a lotte, but it's got to be hot if I'm a I don't. I mean, I'm not a big ice coffee guy.
Speaker 1: Not even in the summer heat. No, no really.
Speaker 3: It was also the same guy that says the youth is ruining, the every is runing the country type guy.
Speaker 1: He's got philosophies, he starts these kids nowadays. Type of guy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Does the mic need to be closer to him at all? Blast are we good?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: But we were talking last night and he goes, what were you saying about to I'm like, yo, did you recruit Taylor? So oh yeah, he said he should have came to Nebraska. And he goes, you're talking about just how athletic he was back in heigh Sun Boil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you weren't. You didn't. How much would you wait coming out of high school?
Speaker 3: I think the heaviest I ever got was in the fifties to fifty, but I was I played the state championship game in like two thirty. Yeah, that's what I thought. We uh well, I mean, you don't know my story. Just you came on. But I started playing off his lines on my senior year. So like all these coaches coming to see me, like my ascend. We I talked aout this before. It was like a three month period of holy shit, like it was the coolest thing ever. Yeah, head coaches coming to see me.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a coolet little experience. Nebraska made the top five.
Speaker 2: Yeah you said that, Yes, said the pie. You're like, I was, you know, Nebraska, Nebraska is in it.
Speaker 1: Nebraska was there?
Speaker 2: Why did you go all the way up to Michigan. That's what he That's what that was something he asked. He's like, why the fuck did he go flew?
Speaker 1: You flew over a lot of schools. I did, didn't.
Speaker 3: I for not a lot of success either with when he grew up in Arizona, Like I was like the class I was like a rebellious kid, wore the dicky pants down my ass type guy. And I I was in this like rebellious phase. Was I wanted to get the hell out of Arizona, like I need to go see four Seasons. I wanted to go see something different. So I went to Michigan. Never went up there when it was snowing though, And yeah, I loved it. Jake Long just came out of Michigan, just the winged helmet everything I remember when I don't remember this. My dad told me when I was born. He said, hey, you can go to any school he won, as long as Notre Dame or Michigan. And I don't know why. I mean, we weren't even my dad and I at the time weren't even that close. But for some reason, I went to Michigan. Every I committed. I think a couple of weeks after I took a visit there. Experience it was pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was. I mean, it all happened so fast. Everything.
Speaker 3: So I had like one or two offers at Utah State and Arizona State going into my senior year, and then I put the two games on and I kind of just sent it out and people started calling. Man, it was a crazy It was a crazy, crazy experience for sure.
Speaker 4: But I remember one of those guys that I looked at, like, looked at like five clips and said, there's a pro right there were.
Speaker 3: Really Oh yeah, really good. Kind of makes me feel like I should have gone into brass down, you know, I feel like I'll let you down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Bo.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Hey, can you bring up the Chevy? But we hang on.
Speaker 2: We got to shout out to Chevy. We don't have ads?
Speaker 1: Well we have Chevy? Always have? Should we always have Chevy? Is what I'm saying. Yeah, like we always do that one and then the other ones we can just plug. I just bought a Chevy. Did you really we fucking go? Absolutely? Did you shout out the boys? Did you say the boy sent me? No? I did? Oh, well you would have got a you would have got a hitch. You would have got a trailer, were a free trailer. There's like twenty five dollars off right there. Early. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you, bo, I'm really glad you're hearing. I'm glad you just bought yourself a Chevy. It doesn't have to be a silver Water. But I didn't tell you that. The strongest supposed to avance siver silver rote Ever, it's here, it's now, it's everywhere. It's the strongest supposed to advance siverw what ever. I just said that, but there was another line, so I read it again. Silverado was strong, advanced, dependable, and hard working. Silverado is dependable like the people who drive them. Like you. You're a dependable gat You're here.
Speaker 1: You're here. You made it. You said you were gonna come here. Look at you.
Speaker 3: You're a man of your word, and that's why you probably drive a Silverado. The design is big, bold and commanding. The truck turns heads. We talked about this on the pod. Get yourself a little kink. You're on the road, you see one, you kind of throw your neck over a little bit. It'll give you a kink. Now, it's a partner with grit and determination. Anything is possible in the Silverado. Uh, it's it's it's the greatest thing ever. Will tell me about the things you can do in Silverado.
Speaker 2: You can tailgate, you can haul, you can tell your boats, your RVs, your trailers.
Speaker 1: I know Bow, he's got a couple of boats.
Speaker 2: He's already told me about how he's been telling over the dead guy in that Chevy Silverado off roading, moving day, helping out your friend or family member.
Speaker 1: Road trips.
Speaker 2: Go to a Chevy dealership, let him know the boy sent you, and as you guys know, someone got.
Speaker 1: A free little Brandon gown. Yeah, Brandon, shout out, Brandon.
Speaker 2: M he got his own little trailer hitch to go along with saying that the boy sent him.
Speaker 3: So and just let you know, if like you go to Chevy and you say the boy sends you, it's not guaranteed you're the trailer hitch, you probably should put that out.
Speaker 1: If you get something more, let us know. Yeah, if you get nothing.
Speaker 3: At all, also less probably well no, if you get nothing, I'll just say, hey, I got a truck, and then you can just leave it. Just drop the photo, Yeah, just drop the photo so we can be really proud of.
Speaker 4: All the dealership. When I get home and sand, I want like ten grand off. What do you think the boy sent me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the boy sends you to be all right, depends on whatuch the cars. If it's like a Chevy Malibu, You're probably not getting that ten grand off, because that's right. But you get one of those the Rocky Ridge or a high Country. I mean, ten grand is nothing to those beautiful Vita those are nice. Yeah, Huge Pod today, Big Pod.
Speaker 2: We got coach Bo Polini on the podcast, and guys, I'm gonna be honest, there's gonna be a lot of wood. Have should have talk with myself because we're going to live back in the old days a little bit every now and then.
Speaker 1: I'm along for the ride on the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just excited to see everybody the entire world a lot about him.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I tell you the truth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he could probably sits in here and blow smoke up your ass every day.
Speaker 1: Probably. God, damn, what are you talking about. I was just battling.
Speaker 2: I was just fighting, dying on the sword against Texas yesterday. He was talking about how we should have won the bullshit second that went.
Speaker 1: On the it was it was a croc.
Speaker 2: I mean, you lifted your arms, you were celebrating.
Speaker 1: I was on the field. I was going to shake hands.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like since we're moving in it? Yeah, you're in it now that I feel like I wanted to know, I know my opinion. Do you feel like moving to the Big ten? That was like like that played into like we can't let these motherfuckers win.
Speaker 4: Oh there's I don't think there's any question. I don't think I heard whether it's true or not. I don't know that that it wasn't even that like the replay official wasn't the one who actually hit the button for the to review it. I mean, there was nothing to review. It was over.
Speaker 1: You got to say about that.
Speaker 3: I hear them going there, Yeah, the game was over.
Speaker 1: I mean it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, and then I heard something like a Big twelve official reached over and hit the button. That's what I was told. A couple of months after him, I was like, well, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Well, so why don't you ever say things like that?
Speaker 3: And like a press conference, I didn't know about the wound, But have you heard a couple of months later, why didn't you say some a couple months later.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean that's you know, it's like what you can't read, what are you going to do after the fact. But that's true, you know, I mean it's I mean I would have been. I probably spoke out that night, probably more than I mean I I got fined more than once when I was a head.
Speaker 1: Press conferences. That was one of them. But will have showed a couple of videos.
Speaker 3: He did show one video that was like very much for the players, like saying something like don't blame the players, blame the coach, or something like that.
Speaker 1: You want to fire me, go and fire me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean he always had the most biblical press conferences because what people would get upset about is he would.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, is he would uh.
Speaker 2: Is he would essentially put everything on himself and everything was like, you know, you had your staples that you always went to. So people got pissed that he wouldn't, you know, give people what they were wanting to report on.
Speaker 4: I think that's it. Yeah, I mean, you like, you know, who was that who gave up? Like whose fault was that? I'd say, that's my fault. That's a bad call. And they you know, they didn't like it. They didn't like that, you know that. I think it just played into it a lot of times that they you know, they wanted they want you to fill in the blanks form because they already have their stories written and if you and they want, you know, they want to they want you to point people out and things like that.
Speaker 1: And you know, me, I wasn't gonna do. I wasn't gonna go down that road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's also like so Nebraska, it's the only it's the only team in town.
Speaker 1: There's no sport, there's no pro teams the right exactly, and it's huge.
Speaker 2: So you have these reporters, right, and a lot of them you grow up in Nebraska like everything everybody's like corn fed, it's all Nebraska football. And so you have these reporters who grow up you know, as kids, as fans. Now the reporters, like everyone has this idea of what Nebraska should always be like. And obviously people would allude to the nineties a lot, because that was a lot of Yeah, we talked about like we're going through and obviously now the way we won nine and ten games a year, that sounds pretty nice compared to what's going on with Nebraska now. But in the time that we were playing, it was always you know, you need to bring in people from the nineties culture. You needed to we needed to figure out how to be Nebraska and bring the break back to the nineties, to the glory days everything else. Yeah, and now obviously you know it's it's it's trended a little different.
Speaker 3: I mean, would in Nebraska run back in the nineties like a power owe offense, just a gap scheme type, run downhill type thing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure like everybody did in the nineties.
Speaker 3: It's like, you can't do that now, Like in college football, how dynamic everything is, how everything's so spread out. You can't just have you can do ground and pound, but you got to have other things. You can't just be like, hey, let's just do what we did in the nineties, because it doesn't work like that. Michigan needs to know that, Nebraska needs to know that these teams that had success in the eighties and nineties, it's okay to hang your hat and be like these guys. Bo Schembecker was a legend there. These guys are all legends. But you gotta develop and grow like I mean, if you look at Alabama, look at LSU two years ago, Oregon when Marcus Mariota was there, it's like they were willing to have the It's not about what the offense is, it's the players around you, and you have to do that offense. Yeah, and do that defense based on your personnelity just said good. The whole groundwork it has changed.
Speaker 4: I mean, the population is shifted, the recruitings different. You know, there's I mean now, I mean back in the nineties, you know, you know, eighties, nineties, whatever, maybe even early two thousands. I mean, there was only a couple of people were on TV every week. Yeah, I mean you knew, I mean, Nebraska was going to be on Oklahoma, you know, they were going to be certain teams on TV.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean now you know, you're you got to go.
Speaker 4: You got to compete in recruiting against you know, South Florida, Central Florida, you know whatever, because everyone's on TV. So a kid doesn't have to get on a plane and fly three hours to go get on to play on TV. He know, he used to go be on TV every week almost. I mean that's just the way it works. So it totally changes the recruiting landscape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it comes to like college football on the way and it seemed like there'd always be a shift every five six years, like some team would be really great and they'd go down, another team would come back up, and it's kind of been stagnant with you know, SEC is really dominated, but you have the Clemson, Bbama, Ohio States, like those three teams kind of always really been in it, and then there's everybody else. How do you think these teams that are on the CUSP break through the and break through that mold from going from a Tier two and Tier two is like, you know, a top five team, but not those three teams I just mentioned. How do you think they get to that next level to where they're also competing for you know, national championships every year.
Speaker 4: You know they're they're going to have their years. I mean like LSU had their year two years ago. I mean you know they had I mean they had Joe Burrow, I mean and they had you know, they had I mean had some other great I mean they had what seventeen something draft picks or whatever it was that year. You know they're going to have their years, But you know, it to be consistent. You know, it's you know, you're going to look at the certain teams that are going to be there almost every year because they're the ones that have the recruiting base, and the other the teams that maybe you're going to have, you know, once every couple of years, they're gonna they're gonna make or run those of the teams that probably don't have as strong a recruiting base and as strong a tradition and culture, you know, and it just becomes harder and harder, you know what I mean. Ohio State, they you know a lot of these schools that the ones that are there almost every day.
Speaker 1: Heck, they can recruit in the car, yeah, you know what I mean, the phone call. Yeah. And it's just the way the way it works. You know.
Speaker 2: How hard was it coaching through a pandemic?
Speaker 1: Oh? It was?
Speaker 4: That was It was a crazy year, you know, I mean, I I mean it was a crazy year. I mean, you know, people you know, opting out schedules and I thought, you know, I mean I thought the SEC I thought we had LSU you know, managed it well. I mean, but you know you're talking about it was just it was just a different year. It was really crazy, and uh, you know, it's good to see things getting back to normal. Stadiums will get filled, you know, teams will have their full rosters. And it was it was a you know, you make the best I guess of a bad situation.
Speaker 1: It was a bad situation.
Speaker 2: What made it so tough at LSU because you obviously came to Nebraska. You had the number one defense at LSU for like years in a row, you're winning Natties.
Speaker 1: You come on to.
Speaker 4: BA but previously or last year, previously I was there for three years, but then I went to Then I got the head job at Nebraska, and he had.
Speaker 2: Like the number one d in the country with LSU, like those boys like Glenn Dorsey, they had dogs on that squad. And then he comes to Nebraska and we're obviously, you know, looking back now, a successful tenure at Nebraska, and you go to Youngstown. You're obviously successful at Youngstown. You're taking you're going into the playoffs and everything. And then you go to LSU and you have a tough year at LSU. When it's like Bo's back at LSU and everyone knows the formula to win that you would know that formula to win. What made it so tough? Well, it was just.
Speaker 1: A weird year, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean you put in a new defense and you don't really you know, you're trying to do things on zoom. You don't have as much access to your guys. We had a you know, some guys opt out. I mean they lost a lot of guys from the National Championship game. We had some team we had we lost, had some guys opt out. You know, you have injuries and things like that. Was just a weird year.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: We kind of finished the year pretty good, but you know, it was a whole new team and just didn't work out, you know, I mean, I mean as simple as that, you know, I mean it was for I think there's a lot of reasons, but you know me, I'm not the kind of guy to ever make excuses. We didn't get it done, and you know, so it was you know, that's just the way that the way the business works.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You you know, things don't work out for it doesn't matter what the reasons are.
Speaker 1: You know, time to move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we interrupt this podcast for a shout out to Freshly No Free shout outs. Freshly Meal delivery the best personal endorsement. Yeah, I take them. The chicken palm, the uh, the stuff with the macaroni ki killer.
Speaker 1: The macaroni's killer. Bro, I'm talking to macros.
Speaker 2: You get in those things, protein, carbs, fats, healthy fresh fresh delivered straight to your door, never frozen. They're ready to heat and enjoy in just three minutes. With new meals added each week, Freshly brings convenience of a chef made nutrition. It's designed classics right to your kitchen. We're all trying to get in shape and eat right. Freshly can help. The delicious meals are designed by nutritionists and cooked by chefs, making it easier to eat better. Grocery shopping cooking can be a pain, especially right now, and with Freshly, you don't have to. Your meals arrive cook and fresh every week, cooked and fresh every week, so you can keep your fridge stocked and skip the trip to the store. Freshly can fit your life style with a variety of plans and meals to pick from that work for your dietary needs, preferences, taste, and they come in family sizes. For now, our listeners can try Freshly for just six dollars and sixteen cents per meal. Stop searching on the internet for healthy food near me every night, and start living a life freshly made.
Speaker 1: Scroll down, scroll down, There we go. Right now.
Speaker 2: Freshly is offering our listeners forty dollars off your first two orders when you go to freshly dot com slash busting. Stop stressing about dinner. Go to freshly dot com slash busting for forty dollars off your first order, your first two orders. That's freshly dot com slash bussing again for forty dollars off your first two orders. And if you divide forty divided by six, what is that.
Speaker 1: Seven?
Speaker 2: Almost almost seven will say six. That's pretty much six free meals, six dollars and sixteen cents. Go to freshly dot com slash bussing. Was like a lot of golf teaching me how to play golf. You go six on the fairway. Hey, how was the most improved yesterday? Really?
Speaker 1: Yes, bro?
Speaker 2: And it's crazy he I dribbled one off the team and I'm not gonna I'm not gonna allow us a little nervous going up to the t.
Speaker 1: That's why I invited Corey.
Speaker 2: He's like, let's play around the golf, and I know Bo's get a golf he goes it. No, I think he's a sandbagger. And because anytime we go to bowl games, you know, he's always on the course and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Like he's good at golf. He likes to go on there, he likes to he likes to dapple. He's got to set the clubs, you know what I mean a pair.
Speaker 2: So yeah, guy, And so I hit Corey up. I'm like, hey, you want to go golfing? Uh with my old head coach on it. He's like, oh yeah, what time? And so we set it up and stuff and we go and I'm a little nervous, like you know, I'm like, fuck, these days are probably all. I know Corey's good and I know Bo's, yeah, Court's pretty good. So I dribble one off the tea and you know, don't really hit it far at all. And then he's like, oh no, Bo's like, oh no, hit another one. I'm like, okay, you're being nicer to me now than you know from what I remember.
Speaker 1: And uh, I put it.
Speaker 2: I put another one on the tee and just slice it, like I mean, just out of playing.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, I'm telling like over, yeah, exactly. Shot.
Speaker 2: Oh bro, it's incredible now. I immediately like, I'm like looking back at bow like that. Yeah, You're like, hey, you just want to be proud of you. I was like, maybe maybe if you haven't seen you in years. Yeah, I just wanted to know, I said. He starts, you know, coaching me nicely, and I'm like, hey, maybe if you yell at me like you know, like the old days, like on a big run or a gas run or something like that, maybe we'll get something going.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll start rocking.
Speaker 2: But no, he had some good tips and I I think I made you proud.
Speaker 1: You most improved. He didn't say yes very well. You know, he was the first one.
Speaker 4: You know, you know what he does when he swings the club. You know, most people look up to watch their ball like he he swings hits the ball and looks back at us, me, my son Patrick, who's back here. He played with us Corey le Patrick. And yes, the first thing he does is he swings hits the ball, he looks behind him. I'm like, no one else that ever just never played the sport of golf does that.
Speaker 1: He just wants the approval.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm definitely getting like a Dale Earn hard Dale and heard Junior by between the two of you, Yeah, like he I just want you to be proud of me.
Speaker 1: He goes, well, most improved. Didn't say yes, right, didn't say that you.
Speaker 2: Want none of that stuff. It's just you know, focus on the process, compete every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. It's your favorite quote. Why is that your favorite quote?
Speaker 4: I you know, I just something I've always talked about, you know, back when I was a decordinator. I think it really started when kind of when I started running the defense, and I mean years ago, and because you know, it's that's what we do, that's what we talk about the you know, day in day out. You know, everybody wants to talk about goals and I want to get here. It's like, you know, can you keep putting every day? Like do what you got to do today? I mean, forget about tomorrow. I mean, you know, I always use the quote, you know, the or talk about the fact that everybody wants things to happen. You gotta want to do the things that make those things happen. And that's the hard part. That's you know, every we all want things happen, but you know, you got to do things you don't want to do to make that happen. And that's that's the process. And a lot of people to never figure that out, especially players.
Speaker 3: People in general have a hard time with that. Everyone sees the that classic tip of the Iceberg picture with his success and then there is the job. Yeah, and it's all the things you have to do to get to that success. So football players, athletes, there's.
Speaker 1: One thing to talk about.
Speaker 4: You got to live it, and you gotta believe you truly believe in a lot of people don't believe in it. I mean, can you do it every day?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, are you gonna can you check that box every day? And you know, for really? Over what do we talk about it every day? Overcome human nature?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: That's hard to do. Everyone talks about it, you know, but you know, you you got to live it.
Speaker 3: Seems like you're a hell of a pregame speech guy.
Speaker 1: Dobson's not bad Dobson.
Speaker 3: You know he's got that little coffee bean. I was going to bring up the coffee go ahead. He had a solid one with the coffee bean.
Speaker 1: Was it.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a pee of carrot and a bean Karen a bean and you play you putting a boiling pot of water. That ag gets hard, that carrot gets soft, but the bean, the bean changes the water, be the bean.
Speaker 5: You don't like your circumstance, change your circumstance with your environment changed you, You change your environment and will What's the one thing the coach always put in the bottom of his pre Friday.
Speaker 1: Night meeting sheets, was it seconds? Constantly concentrate on six seconds?
Speaker 4: Success is constant constancy of what come on?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm on the fucking spot right now.
Speaker 1: I got the surrender Cooper for you right now? Yeah, is struggling right now? If my if my coach is on here.
Speaker 3: You probably would say no to come on this podcast. But if he was on here and he asked me a question, I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: Purpose ye thumbs out there we go, you know to you seven straight years, No, we can.
Speaker 4: I want to spend a lot of time, right those things? Did you like those things? Do you like the thought sheets?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We thought she so we did that. I talked about every Friday night.
Speaker 1: You didn't have a whole lot of thoughts with the stories.
Speaker 2: And Carl would be up there talking to us talking about some war book he's reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, then I would talk to do the same thing I always talked about together.
Speaker 2: He'd have a sheet. Oh yeah, our team meetings. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah for sure. Yeah yeah, but you're awesome. What would what didn't you like when you were there? What you thought Bo could have done better at Nebraska?
Speaker 1: Me personally?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if I could speak candidly, i'd like I think when we were in the big moments and Bow would get pissed off, Bo was our like leader, you know what I mean. Like Bo is the guy where you knew when he was talking on the media, it was always it felt like, uh, you know, our backs were against you know, the nation of Nebraska. Basically like it was us first them, like you always wanted to make you Yeah, Bo would like the head of all of it. So anytime we had a team meeting, everybody's tripping outside the walls, outside the building.
Speaker 1: You knew you were gonna go into team.
Speaker 2: Meeting and here's some juice from Bow, Like he's gonna give us something, He's gonna get our heads right, We're all gonna be good. And when you get in tough parts of the game, and Bow from stories out here, blacks out and doesn't necessarily remember how much he like gets after people. But when Bow gets fucking pissed off and you feel like shit's in the fan and you feel like you're letting everybody down. I feel like that festers into a young kid's psyche, and then you play more to not mess up instead of like, instead of like needing somebody that's like, hey, it's all gonna be fucking good, Like I.
Speaker 4: Don't play, don't play to to not make a mistake correct.
Speaker 2: And I felt like that that happened. I feel like it happened more so too when you're a younger guy, because when I was a senior, there was a time where Penn State drove on us our senior year, had an opening drive and drove all the way down the field and we can't check vegas or we're getting checks and slower calls or not getting in. It's a cover one. It's a cover one thing that was in the like in the playbook Nebraska. It was at Nebraska. It's our senior year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we either.
Speaker 2: Weren't getting calls in quick or we're not getting lined up fast enough for getting our checks in. And they drive it down and score on us, and we come to the sideline and Bo's just fuman. It's the first series, and it's kind of like, yo, it's all good because we had a good group of seniors, but you're kind of mout, you're kind of chirpping back to him. Then he comes over and he taps you on the head like it's all good to go.
Speaker 1: You rally.
Speaker 2: I mean, you end up winning the game and stuff, But I feel like a lot of times, like when I noticed it, when I noticed it watching from afar was probably the Wisconsin game where you guys were seven and oh or eight and one, you guys were at their house.
Speaker 1: They were up like seventeen nothing.
Speaker 2: You're up seventeen nothing and or seventeen three at the time, and Melvin Gordon jumps over Corey Cooper and goes to the end zone and you see you just going in And I'm thinking, from my stance, like these dudes are up seventeen ten going in a halftime against a team that we need to this is our time to come back, like they've obviously had our number every year, Like we're in it, Like we don't you know, there don't need to be any red ass being spread. It's more of like a corral thing. That's a moment where I felt like, you know, you remember certain things like that and not in a way that you know that that's probably my thought of what you could have done better at Yeah, if I was being if I was being triguer, like the time of Youngstown too, you guys are still in the game, and you guys had the most abysmal pass interference call out there, and you still got a shot to go to get the ball kicked off to you and at least try and do something, and you know right for sure, but you and Carl are so pissed off and you get a penalty and then you're kind of just out of it. But I felt like those were those are moments that I feel like, if if you could zoom out and look on you could be like, you know, in these times, because he's like the head of.
Speaker 4: The all the time, you know what's crazy about I always said that, and I kind of there were times when I would just almost not say anything because you know, they were There's always that. I always felt like Nebraska was especially there was the kids had so much pressure on them. I mean, forget about you know, and I sometimes obviously my personality added to that maybe, you know, because they wanted to but they sometimes you want to win so bad, but all of a sudden, sometimes I mean, dogar, you might agree with that something bad would happen, and it was like it just compounded itself. It was like all of a sudden that they just totally lost her. You know, some certain guys right would just totally lose it, you know, and uh yeah, And it was we used to sit and talk about that in meetings a lot, like okay, you know, part of it was okay, yeah, I got I got to handle I got to be better in that situation, understanding that what these kids are going through, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you were always uh you know, you wanted to be like a player out there playing the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah too much sometimes because.
Speaker 2: I remember the time I came back and we sat in your office for like probably a few hours. We're talking about last night, like after I left Nebraska, came back and we're talking about it. It's like I was trying to say a couple of things like that, like just to where it's like you just know a young kid who's there and they're seventeen, eighteen, nineteen years old. They're on the young end of it and all of it's happening.
Speaker 3: Like you know, it's a lot for a kid to say, Nebraska that has there's so much expectation, which you're getting at this whole.
Speaker 1: Time, right, there's more, there's more outside. You probably went through that in Michigan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there, it's definitely the message you like.
Speaker 1: Ei.
Speaker 4: There was one time I went on like the old mess when I was in Nebraska. We were kicking your ass. We had to have been like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually pulled a clip up in that like two weeks ago, as though I blocked about one time in that game, we'll threw a punch you should have thrown out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, I mean that game.
Speaker 3: Anytime you went to Nebraska, and I'm gonna get a little lost track, but anytime you went to Nebraska, it was the most It was the weirdest experience because you go in usually when you play most teams in the Big Ten, you're walking by, fans are throwing you the bird as you're driving in, and that Nebraska they're just hey, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Good luck? Like I have a good luck today.
Speaker 3: While it was super nice and greeting, and you guys just donkeyed us. I think it was the fourth quarter my senior it was my senior year. That was my junior year because it was your Yeah, it was a fourth court. You guys were like twenty three seven or something like that. Not an incredible deficit, but like it was a little something hurt, like we're gonna when a backup quarterback win three for thirteen with three picks, and we're like, we're running it.
Speaker 1: This is what we got to do.
Speaker 3: And it's nothing against I mean, he was thrown into a situation. But it's so big, it's so loud, everyone is there, and when you were leaving after you get your ass kicked, everyone's like, all right, hey, good game, great job, Like you know, it's it was. It never seemed Nebraska never seemed like a super hostile environment. When you're during the game, it's obviously very loud, but it seemed like the fans were also like, hope, it's hope it's a competitive game. So I never knew, like, are the history there from that to Michigan where you know, the year before I got to Michigan, they were losing to Wisconsin and they're getting booed, the home fans are booming, Michigan going in to the locker room at halftime, and so it was a it was a different deal. They would they'll turn on you in a dime. But I didn't think it was like that in Nebraska because the way the fans were from what I saw my perspective, you know, they were nice to you because they saved all their hostility for hostility for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well yeah, how long we had Nebraska for?
Speaker 3: But seven years? Seven years, that's a long I mean that's a that's a long time. You guys had a lot of success there too, right, yeah, and you were.
Speaker 1: Part of it. I mean, yeah, that's very impressive. I bet there right now one out of five coaches, six coaches that won and there's only a couple of six games. And it's like it was like you, Chip, Kelly Saban, a few others. I mean, good.
Speaker 4: Company, a really company. You know, we were consistent. We were consistent because we had a good culture, we had good kids. We weren't always the most talented team. I mean Will would agree with that. I mean, we had we had our talent, but we also had we had we had a strong culture, really good. I mean I always say that there's uh when I look back when I when I left there, we had won I think there was only one or other other team over that period of time that won more games. And I said to Alabama, maybe Oregon during that time. But when I left, we had the highest GPA in the history of the school.
Speaker 1: Really but didn't fuck around when it came to going the class.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, because you know, we we've talked about everything counted, Everything counts.
Speaker 1: You know, everything you do counts.
Speaker 4: I mean, how you we didn't have kids getting in trouble off the field. We had kids going to class. They were doing well in the classroom, and in the end, that leads to giving you the best chance you can be to be a good team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially if you don't have, like you said, you did, more of the most talented team in the world. But if you have a bunch of guys working together, yeah, I mean, we talk about it. You'd rather have eleven guys doing their job than one guy who's a freak. And then you know, taking the wrong gap and making a couple of TFLs, but also letting a six yard run go right.
Speaker 2: So God I love Cross Country Mortgage, Shut up cross your mortgage. No free shoutouts, and they are much like us at barstool and bus with the boys.
Speaker 1: A people first group of people.
Speaker 2: They are dedicated to the fundamentals know I saw you turn your head, it says, people first group of people. They are dedicated to the fundamentals of mortgage lending, which results in fast, convenient, and less stressful home financing or a refinancing experience. Rates are unbelievably row late. Rates are unbelievably low. They're saying world record lows out there. Don't pay the bank more money than you need to. Are friends. They are friends. Over at cross Country Mortgage make it super simple to figure out how much you can save on a monthly basis and over the life of your loan. The numbers can be staggering and you don't know how much you can save unless you actually talk to an expert over at Cross Country Mortgage and figure it out. Click here swipe up to learn more about your refinance and connect with your team over at Cross Country Mortgage who will help make the process as painless and simple as possible and help keep your money in your pocket so you can do fun things with it, like going to watch the boys, or going to the going to the tailgate, going to a tailgate. August eighth, rates are at all time lows. It may never get this little again. Call today for a fast free rate quote. Our partners will save you a lot of money over at cross Country Mortgage. Call today and our friends, our buddies over at cross Country Mortgage, We'll give you a free home valuation that is free to you, just just for just for calling, almost cussed. Just like the all star athlete, cross Country Mortgage pushes themselves through the entire lending process. If they get blocks, they figure out a way to get the ball over the line. Over the line of scrimmage. I love that run left. Don't miss the window. As rates are expected to creep up, reach out to them and see what they can do for you. Right now, and when you connect with cross Country Mortgage, tell them the boys sent you. Go to cross Country Mortgage dot com slash car stilts to learn more about your future home buying experience, or refinance your current mortgage.
Speaker 1: It's do you think is there ever a time you end up back in Nebraska? No, I'll never end up back.
Speaker 3: You don't think so even if they called them like, hey, hey listen, we fucked up, they wouldn't they wouldn't know they that would never happen.
Speaker 1: Not there's a bum, Yeah, because of how bad the breakup was.
Speaker 4: No, it just because it was more than that. You know, obviously it was the A D at the time, but I mean the in the in the chancellor at the time. Those two kind of probably drove it. But the media, you know, they had gotten the media on board, and those media people would never admit to being wrong or you know, to but you know, I just don't think it whatever, it would never happen.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what was interesting to me too is like when they were kind of and this is this is my me talking, when they're kind of pushing you out of there. I thought it was interesting because Tom Osmonne was the A D before. Who who's the IDA that came I cursed cours course, And you would think that Tom, like I would assume that Tom and everybody there that's in the culture there would already let the new the new people come in, know like, you know, this is the culture we have, you know what I mean? Because Tom Osborne's like seeing in Nebraska as Tom Osborne. You think that something like that just wouldn't happen like how it happened.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't think that they would.
Speaker 4: You would think that they would have celebrated and treated Tom better at the end, and that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: They weren't treating Tom good at the end. No, I mean no, not really. He didn't kind of forced Tom out. I don't think Tom was quite right. I mean in the end, I think Tom Osborne you know, earned the rate to I mean, came back, kind of saved the program when he came back as the A d oh, yeah, absolutely, and then all of a sudden, Yeah, I think he's pretty much earned the rate. You know, Tom would never say this, but Tom earned the rate to pick his successor and and to make sure that probably you know, safeguard the tradition all the things that went on and that that didn't happen. So and here here we are. Yeah, they're fighting to get back. You know, what kind of report.
Speaker 2: Did you have at the time with that new ad, Like how much was he involved with.
Speaker 4: I like horse, Yeah, almost no relationship at all. I mean over the time he was there, very little, almost not.
Speaker 1: This is the guy.
Speaker 3: This is the guy, that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: How did that? How long was he there before you left?
Speaker 4: He was he had been there about a year year a year, and so he was supposed to come in and be kind of an interim guy. Yeah, and then that like that, it just happened a lot faster. Next thing, you know, he's in Tom's out and you know, at that point, you know Tom had hired me. That's why I came back, you know, because Tom had talked me into coming back, and and uh, you know, at that point you kind of know that this isn't going to be a long term thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when it came to the relationship, was there.
Speaker 3: Did you try to initiate a relationship with this guy, talked to him and be buddies with him or very?
Speaker 4: He was very He was just a standoffish dude. That was his That was kind of how was uh, that was his style.
Speaker 3: I guess they take a step back so he didn't have to make emotional decisions to all be business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't really. He didn't interact with.
Speaker 4: He didn't interact with a lot of people very much, but especially the coaches. I don't know how much he interacted even with some of the you know, the underlying people that were the assistant ads and that type of thing. He had a different style and uh but you know, to me, everything, especially in a place like the Briant, it's about relationships when you don't have relationships. And I mean, heck that my last year there, we went I think at one point we were seven and oh and I'm answering questions about my job security. Oh really, I'm like, life's too short for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gotta be tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I know if we were seven zero at Michigan, people will be celebrating from the from the room, they be jumping off the stadium.
Speaker 1: Seventh I was. It was a mere senior year.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day. We had never won less than nine game, you know, we we were nine and ten every year. And you know even I mean, heck, I laugh because I see some of these coaches and schools, like, you know, guys win five games and they get a contract extension. I said, heck, they would have been burning crosses in my yard if I want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you were talking about you, didn't you know, you weren't thinking they were treating Tom that well, Like were there people that didn't like Tom, like in Nebraska. It's it's kind of hard to imagine anybody not liking Tom Osborne in the state of Nebraska.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, what do they I don't know how you can't like Tom. I mean, I mean you can't, But you know, I think there's some people there that were, you know, some of the people that were decision makers that were probably jealous of him, you know, got you know, saying you because Tom was kind of seen as you know, kind of bringing the program back and bringing a tradition back, and you know, people want their credit, people want you know whatever. For whatever reason, human nature comes in and yeah, there's jealousy involved, and.
Speaker 1: I think to overcome you in nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you were in that that video the conference he was talking about earlier, when you were talking about what game was that, I don't know, Yeah, when was that fire Me fire?
Speaker 3: The press said something to you along on the lines of like players and job security, and you started going off on them about like, I ain't worry about my job. I don't worry about this. I don't worry about like it's not the player's fault, it's my fault. Put it on me and you kind of had like your own I mean as a player watching them like.
Speaker 1: Them, you kind of want to play like.
Speaker 2: Come, you know, if they want to fire me, they can go ahead and fire me. You know what press conference I'm talking about, It.
Speaker 1: Could have been one of you.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't yeah, okay, So it was after we lost I the year before that.
Speaker 1: That's a big rivalry, right obviously.
Speaker 2: And that was the year you actually, I mean there wasn't you stayed another year, right because there are rumors about you. There are rumors about people wanting to fire you then right like you want to This was like a two year thing to where you kind of.
Speaker 1: Felt chicken shit call? What person foul was that?
Speaker 2: Who knows? Dude, that could have been any call. That could have just been a fucking we gotta we There was.
Speaker 4: A big third down but I remember there was a big third down play and you know, we got we were off the field and flag comes out really cost us a game, and it cost us a chance to.
Speaker 1: Win the game.
Speaker 4: And they asked me about about after the game do you think what do you think of that pastor interference call to you?
Speaker 1: And I there you go ten.
Speaker 3: For sure, Dobson on on your end, what during this time that was your senior year.
Speaker 1: Will lost Iowa? No, no, no, we we we were against Iowa.
Speaker 3: George George George Kittle from the Yuars werening nine games every single year. From your standpoint, a lot a lot of times the stringth coach goes with the head coach, like we all know, like it kind of comes down and you see all this pressure from the media. What was your thought process like during this whole thing. Did you think it was a little of horseeshit or what?
Speaker 1: I think the whole staff supported BO.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like Will said, he was the leader of the team, He's a leader of the staff. So the staff always supported both, no question, I.
Speaker 1: Mean all the players did.
Speaker 2: It was always you always felt the you always felt the separation of everybody who played for BO, everyone who was in like the culture of BO and then pretty much everybody not everybody else because I hate to say that, because you would even you know, you would even help guys too in team meetings, because guys would get death threats for you know, not making a play or something like that, or people's families would get trash. Remember now it's Paul like his family was getting stuff thrown at him or something after because Niles was running into the end zone and fumbled the ball into the end zone like as he was about to score, and we lost a game.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't have against Iowa State, but we shouldn't have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the players know we kept kind of everything in house. But I think the players appreciated me for appreciated not just me, but our staff for what we were because I think at the end of the day, as much as we you know that we were hard on you, we we we had high expectations for the players, but I think they always believe we had your best interests at hert I think, yeah, the players, I mean it.
Speaker 3: Really sounds like it. I mean, knowing how Dobson is and then how Will's talking about you, sounds like you guys had a really good squad inside that was able to keep it in house. Sometimes there's always a stray staff member that would leak some stuff out, or you know, it kind of seemed that way of Michigan where they're they're the core group of people really believed in what we were doing, but there was always a few stragglers and it sounds like in your building and your core group. There was no stragglers in that ye on our flour it was pretty strong and it seems I mean, I don't know, how does it make you feel past player and all the players that played at with Will at Nebraska that I've met through Will, they had nothing but good things to say about you. That's got to be a good feeling. Yeah, we had, Like I said, I think that's why that gave us a chance to win and be consistent as we were. We were all pretty much on the same page, and we had a strong culture, you know, and high character, hard working. I mean, just just like the Chevy Silverado.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly like the Chevy Silverado. But I mean it is true.
Speaker 2: We could sit here and talk about, you know, moments objectively.
Speaker 4: Like process we've talked about all the time. And I think the players believed that. You saw guys when I would walk out, I mean, guys would stay. People were in there watching film by themselves. They were they were doing the extra the little things that that give you a chance to be successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at the end of the day, you can talk about us not you know, winning certain games for whatever reason or objectively looking at hey, what could we have all done better? Like everyone knows they can get better at something. But overall, I mean everyone has benefit from the you know, all your mantras that we mess around with and play with because I've always preached attitude and for bo is always preaching a focus on the process, compete every day. And as much as we joke about it, it's like, you know, I'm not in this chair without without all of that stuff, without all of those hard teachings, because you were about you know, and I always remember it because God blessed Josh Mullick and all the guys who had missed who had missed class, and you would have to call out in a team meeting and go over sleeping in fucking class. But it's like, guys, I'm not babysitting. I'm not here to babysit you like you're not going to show up on Saturdays. You're not going to show up when you want to. It's not you don't wear the inn on the side of your helmet and get to be out in front of ninety thousand and then all the other days of the week you get to you know, slap off, not go to class and then you want to, you know, come dick around at practice or show up at practice just to go be on the sideline during the game Saturday. He's like, you're either going to be an all the time guy, or you're not going to be here. And I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: How it is with class checkers, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean bo was literally had a rapport with goddamn felt like every teacher because they like couldn't wait for a football player to mess up so they could email them and be like, oh, I'm talking to coach Ball, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would go and check classes every night. You would go, oh, yeah, you know, he really would.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there yet, but it was your first spring ball and guys were talking about how you shut down Oa Street basically for on the team street. O Street was like the bar, you know where you went to the bars. He's trying to rebuild the culture, so he's not letting guys really go out, like be seen out in the scene like downtown.
Speaker 1: If you're caught out, it's yeah, it's extant.
Speaker 4: Well, there were a couple of places that were just off limits where yeah, it was just the rail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always it's always like, yeah, I know you went downtown, is what I was getting at.
Speaker 4: And I walked in and I heard about this brash rail. So I went in there. And I went in there and it was like they're luckily there were no players in there that night, but the people were like, could not believe that you showed up the rail And to Mario.
Speaker 2: Was in like the spot you go to whereas it's midnight and you stays open and one you go to the rail at midnight because that's where it just gets it just gets grinding me music, loud music.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, that finish the one.
Speaker 4: Remember Mario Williams, Yes, to Mario was in there, so he so I was in. He knew I was back. So I said to Mario, he goes, he guess it would be in the brass Sitt's a good night to be He's going to be in the brash rails. So I walked in. I went and saw him. You know, obviously I was in there to see if any of you guys, if any players were in there, but I kind of gave me excuse.
Speaker 1: I said hi to.
Speaker 4: Tomorrio, gave him a hug, looked around, saw no one was in there and walked out next thing, you know, I mean it was the next by the next morning it left him. Everybody knew that I was in there. You're in the rail Yeah. So they were like, don't go.
Speaker 3: There, no fuck around, dude, have you checking classes?
Speaker 1: Oh he's which I was above that.
Speaker 4: Oh the greatest ever was Marvel. Yeah, so I'm you know, so I'm he he was either a freshman or sophomore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I So I show up to check class. Yeah, and he's got his.
Speaker 4: Backpack on and he's getting like, seize me. So I come up the steps. He's coming out the door, and I know it was Monday night football. He's probably going to watch Money Night Football was like one of those, you know, two and a half hour classes and a halfway. So I showed up halfway through and he was he was inching out of there. Yeah, and he's like, he's why I see him. He's got his backpack on and everything, And I said, where are you going? He like makes a right walks over and says, I'm just getting to drink of water. I was born yesterday. I think, get your ass back in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh he was, so we laugh about it. To this day because he's like, yeah, I got busted. Yeah, No, it'd be crazy.
Speaker 2: People would talk about you showing up the classes and everything like that. You and Dabson bringing in the program. What was that about?
Speaker 1: What does that mean bringing in the program.
Speaker 2: There's these fucking military Navy seal guys. It's just kind of a bone I've had with these guys ever since I've been in college. But you would uh do all these hard ass fucking sounds like it's all Dobson. Yeah, it's basically adoptson GPP day in the evening.
Speaker 1: So Donson would lose. Yeah, and hey, Dohnson, you ever lose. I'm just kiddy. Yeah, I am fucking around here.
Speaker 5: It's Terry's version. Eric capatuolok at the program. It's it's developing leadership through shared adversity.
Speaker 1: So it's really not a work. It sounds like the most terrifying forever. It's a leagal. It's really good.
Speaker 4: Eric, the guy who runs his Eric Capatoolo and his group. I mean, I recommend it for anybody that any team, corporation, whatever I mean it is. They do an unbelievable job shared adversity.
Speaker 3: So what's the adversity in this sounds like it sounds terrifying if it's his adopts in GPP day. It's not for the faint of heart. So how does the process work?
Speaker 1: What you like? You brought this guy in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we we hired these guys to come in and it's a leadership seminar is basically what it is for two to three days and it's on them. They control it, they run it, but they'll give us feedback. Coach bowl, you know, ask those questions or have you know, those guys work on certain situations with certain guys on the team, but they run it, they control it, and it's it's good.
Speaker 1: It's really good as far as yeah, they don't interview.
Speaker 4: You'll give them background and then they'll take they'll go and run with it. And then afterwards, you know, they kind of give you your feedback and say, you know, these are this is the strength, these are the leaders, these are the guys. You know any kind of this is how I would push his buttons. This guy needs this. And really it's amazing how spot on they can be and just being around guys for whatever, what is it, seventy.
Speaker 1: Two hours, So it's like appro.
Speaker 5: It's not a workout whole formally, not a you know, we're making this a workout unders strength enditioning. It's a it's it's a class. It's like a three day class basically, but there's a workout.
Speaker 1: You're working out. Oh, a perfect jumping? What is that? Okay?
Speaker 4: A perfect A lot of metal stuff along a lot along with the physical and then they go in to pull the next.
Speaker 3: Day, the next day, the next morning morning at three am, after finishing, we don't care about Yeah, after finishing.
Speaker 2: At like nine pm the night before, you go and sleep for a few hours. Then you got to beat the pull the next day like three am.
Speaker 5: No, you guys at five am? Ship dude, you had to get up, but you had to be at the pool of five. Okay, maybe be at the pool of four, we'll say four.
Speaker 3: How good does it feel to be able to talk to your old coaches like that? Bullshit? Dude, you have to be.
Speaker 1: Bitter about it? No, not really, I mean you do it every year, but you're kind of soft. So I was my feedback. Did they ever point out Will as a leader? Will? No, they didn't even know. Will was Hey, that's gotta be tough.
Speaker 2: To hear.
Speaker 3: But he's a Gordy Gohard for sure. He's definitely one of those that No. I was my senior year. I literally I was all Michigan manned out. I was all about it.
Speaker 1: But you learn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. We are both the same way in college our senior years. I don't know about your first three years, because my first three.
Speaker 2: Years, I mean I was you know, I wish I wouldn't have took it as serious as I did, but I mean it's it's got me here. So yeah, because I look back on the fact, I just I always put a lot of pressure on myself, you know, as a kid everything else, and it makes you great though, yeah, true, Yeah, the paranoid survive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people are out to get you due to go the best and the extra.
Speaker 4: Time is what gave you, you know you, I mean you were obviously very talented, but putting the extra time in yes.
Speaker 1: Much perfectly placed.
Speaker 2: Oh we get to do a Jake Paul versus Tyron Woodley add read. Speaking of Jake Paul, dude's a YouTuber. So if you're watching on YouTube right now, go go like remember like the stuff, like the episode leave comments, but yeah, just like Jake Paul or on YouTube whatever Live on pay per view Sunday, August twenty ninth at eight pm Eastern five pm Pacific. Go to Showtime dot com Slash PPV to order now. Showtime pay per View and Most Valuable Promotions presents Jake Paul Versus Tyron Woodley Shout Out Missouri All the Free Shoutouts, a five fight pay perview event in Jake Paul's hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, oh Ohio Buzz from Ohio. The professional boxing card will take place on Sunday, August twenty ninth. The action packed pay per view telecast will be produced and distributed by Showtime pay per View Showtime PPV, beginning live at a special time a special time APM eastern five percent Pacific. The main event will feature renowned I'm saying that right right. The main event will feature renowned content creator Go leave a Comment and undefeated pro boxer Jake the Problem Child Paul and former USC champion and hardest hitter in the world Tyron the Chosen One Woodley. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at Rocket Mortgage, Fieldhouse dot Com. Order now, go to Showtime, go to the Showtime app or Showtime dot Com slash ppv, and watch the event live on any supported device. This event is also available via all major cables, satellite, and telco pay per view providers for fifty nine.
Speaker 1: Is that it?
Speaker 2: Oh that's the read. Yeah, so go to go up, Go up, Go go go so again. Go to Showtime, Go to the Showtime app or Showtime dot com slash ppv and watch the event live on any supported device. You guys who who bitch and whine about Hey, they need to pay the fighters more.
Speaker 1: Stop hacking and stop streaming for free.
Speaker 2: Go buy Go to the Showtime app and start paying these boys through the pay per view on Showtime.
Speaker 1: Shout out the boys.
Speaker 3: Will Will came to my house. Not my house, a family lived within high school. He came to Arizona and stayed for a couple days.
Speaker 1: Wet. It's some podcasts out there.
Speaker 3: And one night we put on the twenty twelve game Nebraska versus Michigan, and it was a game we won.
Speaker 1: It was the Will Compton Show.
Speaker 3: The announcers the whole time we're talking about Compton, his leadership. There were you know, nine guys are leaving these nine guys. But Will Compton's the guy like it's they were on them definitely over overachieving.
Speaker 2: Well, we got our ass kicked the year before at the bank House, remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 2: Dono comes into the team meeting and basically just says everyone needs to be like Levonte David.
Speaker 1: Because Levante I remember that. Dude. I was like, no, he's like the.
Speaker 2: Only guy in here who should feel worth a shit about anything is this one right here?
Speaker 1: Levonte?
Speaker 2: You guys all need to be like him.
Speaker 4: He was an amazing he Well he still is, but you know, Levante, I think I always point that out. He was like that that we want to talk about, missus. I just scouted after Scott after scout coming in and you know, let's say, what do you think about Leavonte? Well, he's not this, He's not that.
Speaker 3: He's not you would say that, they would say that, they would.
Speaker 4: Say that he's not you know, he's just you know, if he's big enough. And it's like, are you watching it? Like he makes every tackle like how like? And I'm like, you're gonna play against him, you better take him or you're gonna have to play against this guy. And and he's Lavante was just I mean you would he was a lot like you in that he lived it like he watched tons of film. He just he was about so detailed me and he's so talented character off the charts and everything.
Speaker 3: Kind of like a like an Ed Reid style, Like he just just good to see that he's getting his do right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah watch yeah, you watch that super Bowl and you know he was he had to me, he was like the m v P.
Speaker 1: I mean he he like m Kelsey. He covered Kelsey the whole game. Him and White, those are the linebacker there.
Speaker 3: Two linebackers are incredible, incredible. They do a great job. They do a really good job.
Speaker 4: White the young kid, he's he's a player too. Yeah, absolutely, and he's got a great out of learned from you know, the play next to I'm.
Speaker 3: Assuming Sue's the best player you ever probably had from a talent standpoint, would Leavonte probably be second?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would think so. Glenn Dorsey and it is a callvid player. You know he didn't he kind of didn't. Poor Dorsey. You know, he got drafted and they put him. He was a to me, it was a three technique and they next thing, you know, they've changed to a three four and they I can think that hurt his career. But those two guys were really good.
Speaker 3: It's got to be tough when you see guys, especially care about and college, be so successful and then then they don't get their due in the NFL. For me, like Denard Robinson's that guy. Yeah, he was so electric in college and the fact that they're paying these kids now dinar could have made millions of dollars in college. He was unbelievable and it just it just wasn't able to translate in the NFL. I mean, he had some nerve damage in his hand. I think that really affected him. But a quarterback from Ohio State, Raxton Miller, Yeah, he's very Yeah, he extremely talented. Another one, and he was so talented, went to a wide receiver in the NFL. He played for a little bit. Yeah, but is he still in the leak he was in the league last year?
Speaker 4: We could not I know, is that one night at Ole State. There were a couple of times where he went like seventy We had like three unblocked guys in the hole, and not only do we not tackle him. I don't think anybody touched him. I mean, that guy was such a.
Speaker 1: One of them.
Speaker 4: I mean he was so talented that really Yeah, so you reminded me. You say, you're running me a lot of of Dinard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they're They're very similar that way, for sure. It was.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that you hope those guys because they're not going to get paid like that in the real world. And that's a huge that's a bummer. I know Donard's coaching now, and I hope, I hope he's a head coach someday. I hope he goes coach Michigan. I think he's coaching had Jacksonville. He's the running backs coach to Jacksonville. Oh really yeah, the Jags. Baby, he's making that climb he is. That's a bit of a deal. I want to ask Dobs about GPP. Did you ever do GPP against players at Nebraska.
Speaker 1: No, I've never done an they did.
Speaker 2: They always did their own things similar like he was a vander he was never doing it with the band players like Harder Ship.
Speaker 1: So you've only lost to me and g PP. I wouldn't say I lost to you, say our team. Yeah, you keep bringing that up. Who is your teammate. God, please stop doing this.
Speaker 2: I was I was the teammate. I was a teammate, al right, I let down?
Speaker 1: Was it Matt? Who's my guy? Mat?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Matt?
Speaker 3: Me and Matt dominated Will and Dobson and a g P P and Dobson prizes himself on that stuff. Man, I took his soul that day, So I really want to get that out.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: That was just for me, and I feel amazing right now just hearing that.
Speaker 4: All I know is he was supposed to go to dinner with us last night, so he's gotten kind of soft and I heard he had to go. So he's supposed to hook up with us, hook up with us for dinner, and but now he's kind of hanging out with the elites.
Speaker 1: You know that he's white collar. I'm hanging out hanging out with Will and Taylor some white collar. Yeah. The blues fading on him for sure. That's tough to hear, I know, especially a guy who respected and want.
Speaker 2: You know how much as just eating at him back there.
Speaker 1: You believe it. I don't. I can't believe it. You turned into no comment. Oh man, So you think you'll ever coach college again?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: I don't know. You know, you never say never. I don't you know, you don't ever close any doors or anything. But I'm not real that the the whole transfer thing, the NIL. There's a lot of things that I don't quite agree with that are that are going on in the direction of it.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I you know, you I would say that I would lean more towards saying I if I if I'm coaching again, it will probably probably be in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Oh, how do you think you'd handle the NIL stuff? Well, you've got to embrace it if you're going to do it.
Speaker 4: But it's I don't I think it's going to be interesting to see if anybody. I think it's almost going to be impossible for them to police it. I mean, I don't know, like exactly what all the rules are and how much they can make and all those types of things.
Speaker 1: But it's going to be like the Wild West.
Speaker 2: Seems like a lot of gray area for how many team meetings that we have had already over the.
Speaker 4: NIL one I would have got, I would have got.
Speaker 1: There's no fucking out there.
Speaker 2: I remember so so back, you know, it was that was when Twitter was kind of starting to everybody's kind of getting their Twitter accounts, like yeah, Boe.
Speaker 1: Didn't want us to have Twitter, you know, the boy like you don't say that. Okay, sorry, I let you have Twitter. There's no doubt.
Speaker 4: But there was like, well when when when they're just when you're putting the stupidest things out there, I said, no, it's over, you're done.
Speaker 2: So I'm pioneering the lead to keep Twitter. Yeah right, you know what I mean, Like yeah, hunter K and so you know, Bow's allowing us to keep it, but you know, be solid on it.
Speaker 4: He took it away for a while and I said, that's right, taken away nothing about the team, nothing about you know, no, I said, just know that it could be taken away that quick said.
Speaker 1: Like vrabel type stuff like with the media, like at the media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so bo gives his Twitter back and boys are all having a good time. And on one weekday morning, I have a call a miscall from Bow at like six in the morning. You know when you when you wake up, your alarm gold and you look at asshole gets a little tighty like holy.
Speaker 1: Ship, ye things are about to go down.
Speaker 3: It's it's almost as bad as waking up for a workout five minutes before it starts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And I call him and he's like, hey, you might come into my office. I'm like, yes, sir, you know it's not good news.
Speaker 1: You know I'm sweating telling I've been there. And so I go to his office and I sit down.
Speaker 2: He's like he sits back, He's like, so you guys wanted Twitter back right, and then he picks up this piece of paper and he goes, here's what comes across my desk in the morning. And he looks down and he goes, Lamborghini, Mercy, your chick, she's so thirsty. I'm in my two seat, Lambeau, and your girl she's trying to jerk me. He looks up him and he goes, the fuck am I supposed to do it that? And me, I'm sitting there and like, you know, knowing it's lyrics to a JAYZ song, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, coach, and obviously I do nothing like where that came from.
Speaker 4: He's got big guys when he's looking when I'm reading this, but I think he's also wanting to laugh, because I'm sure I'm not.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, your head coaches think he just put down a hot Trap said.
Speaker 1: I was like, uh, Coach, it's just it's just lyrics.
Speaker 2: He's like, not everybody knows that, and he's like, this can be taken down to any context. You know, big tubs forty eight, shout out, shout out Tobyokimi, dude, but big Tubs forty eight. And then you know, we go to practice and then after practice he's like, he's like, uh so we stand up. He's like big Tobes forty eight and then he yeah, and I'm kind of sitting there like you know, you know it's gone.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Then he just kind of reiterates how important it is that you know, not like do dumb ship on Twitter and stuff like that. But he reads and I know in my head, I'm like, oh, he has no clue to the lyrics. He thinks he's just like about to get jerked off in some two seat Lamborghini.
Speaker 1: But so when the nil, I was like, what good, Like, why who does that? Everybody? I know mind blow it's just mind blowing them.
Speaker 3: I'd be in the back of that, I take it, and A just like this guy has no idea ye, yeah, yeah, that's so funny. The number one thing guys do is they like put their quote of them doing this standing thing in front of a car that's probably not theirs, and then they put some line.
Speaker 2: And so all of our group chats were hitting all the what do you think? What do you think our team would be like? If the NIO would have got released the world? You know, laughing, we would be in a team meeting right now. But I couldn't wait to ask you, like, how you think you'd handle this new nil world? And you know, it seems like you don't want to coach college football anymore? He said, if fuck, I'm not dealing with this this kind of bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually, I mean it was just funny, like Corey Levin yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well well yeah, yeah disrepect. Is he his fit? Is he looking in that picture? Yeah? He looks good, he does. How much are you went? Golfer?
Speaker 4: But but I could not believe that, you know, like just I never really thought about it from his standpoint, And we're sitting under one team and we're waiting to tee off and he somebody NIL came up and he goes, yeah can He goes, They're gonna be kids that haven't done anything making more money than some of us that are playing for the league. Minimum goes, he goes, what's like, how about that? I never really thought about it from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: He brought that up in the group chat. He was, I mean it's a great point. Yeah, it is like do you cap a number? Yes, he can only make a million bucks. I don't know, but you know what it is, it's like the free market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like there's you know, there's this world that people a lot of people like don't agree with, the social media aspect that's coming up. People can kind of build their brands and do all that kind of stuff and capitalize on it without necessarily.
Speaker 4: I saw four guys getting what they you know, making money and doing all those types of things. It's just to me, it all happens so fast. It doesn't seem to be well thought out. I don't think they even understand what the problems are going to be with it. It's kind of like the transfer role. It went from hard transfer, Yeah you've got a city here too. Now they're granting everybody the U waivers to now anybody can transfer one time and just be eligible right away.
Speaker 1: And it's like, you know, so you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like almost why be a head coach and those kind of when those things can play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you kid, kid doesn't get instant gratification. I'm gone, that isn't the way life works. You know, that is not the way life works. I mean, you you're not gonna get You got to work your butt off. You know, you're not always going to walk in. Heck, you walked in. You came in and got red shirted. I'm sure you wanted to play as a true freshman. Wasn't the best thing for you. You probably you could have played it as a true freshman, but ultimately it wasn't the best long term thing for you, and you had to wait. That's just the way life works. But kids are not getting that message anymore. I mean from the recruiting process right on through. I remember a few years back it was funny that I think back and they asked me one time at the Big Ten media day about signing day, and I said, I think signing days asinine, And they said, well, what do you mean. I said, there shouldn't be a signing day. They said, well, I don't understand what you're saying. And I said, but kid commits, he should sign. Why does there have to be one day to sign right, And I said, because so then they could commit, they can decommit all these different things. I said, A, it would be better for the player, It would be better for the schools, be it would be better for the players because they're you know, in recruiting, there are teams schools that offer kids they have no intention of taking right, you know, for whatever reason, they do these things, and and it would just be better for everybody involved. But it would you know, like well, never really thought about it that way. Well, sometimes we all got to sit and think a little bit, a.
Speaker 2: Little too easy, think a little bit, guy, Yeah, just feel dumb as shit after being told that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you gotta sit and think a little bit. It's true. Think about it.
Speaker 4: If you didn't have a signing day, it would slow and it would slow recruiting down again. I think the worst thing about recruiting right now is now they're freshmen being recruited or sophomore.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. It seems like eighth graders.
Speaker 4: Look at you, look at perfect example, you didn't really come into your own to your senior year. God only knows in this this day and age, what would happened you Probably you wouldn't have had all the offer because a lot of people would have been filled up by that.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of schools were at the time, schools like Texas and USC They already had their whole drafted back then. Yeah, even more so now absolutely.
Speaker 4: Because ultimately and no one would want this. But slowing it down is better for the players and the schools. All well, it gives you more of time to make an educated decision.
Speaker 2: Right, All right, here we go, Hey, shout out Slick Spirited Ice. You guys know the drill at this point again, Go go leave comments in the YouTube. The time has come for Happy Hour to finally live up to its name with the introduction.
Speaker 1: Of Slick Spirited Ice.
Speaker 2: Slick is a brand new hard yes that means boozy freezer pop that is crafted with elevated flavors to inspire the good times and let them roll. Available in different premium spirit offerings including Rum and a Gave.
Speaker 1: A Gave is.
Speaker 2: Healthy sugar boys and girls eight percent ABV at one hundred calories or less each, naturally flavored to deliver incredible and re freshing taste. Umm. Swap your typical summer cocktail or seltzer with slick spirited ice. Scoop up a box or two or ten at your local Walmart, shot at the boys of Walmart or a local or liquor store, and load your freezer for the upcoming weekend. Just know that once you slick sipping will never be the same baby. To learn more, go to slick spirited ice dot com. This ad has been brought to you by twenty one Holding YELLOWC in West Coast Chicago, illinoy must be twenty one enough to purchase and consume.
Speaker 1: Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 2: And also, I would assume because I've had them, just like the old popsicles back in the day at summertime, you wait for it to melt a little bit. Did you get a nice little shot at the end of your slick spirited ice?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: This ad has been brought to you by twenty one Holdings LLOC in West Coast Chicago, Illinois. Must be twenty one enough to purchase and consume. Please drink responsibly. Being a head coach at a place like Nebraska, like, what do you feel like is the hardest Well, was the hardest part of that job?
Speaker 1: Recruiting? And is that all that's got to be the hardest thing? In general always.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean it's more so at a place like Nebraska because you're going to get like probably eighty five percent of your players, you know, of your scholarship players are going to be from out of state.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think one year we signed like twenty three kids. What was it was there?
Speaker 4: Twenty three kids from seventeen different states in the average was just under one thousand miles away. So you had to turn over every rock you had, you know, our you got to.
Speaker 2: Find guys at the big schools on the coast probably didn't want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to have the best recruiting guys out there in all differentea.
Speaker 1: You had to evaluate and keep evaluating. You know.
Speaker 4: We had, uh, you know, like a mirror. We got a mirror because we're the only ones that really wanted him to play running back. Yeah, you know, Auburn wanted him to play corner and Quincy Quincy and Nunwell. I mean, I I can't remember who we beat on him. I mean he he had like one other one or two other offers. They were smaller schools really, I.
Speaker 2: Mean Leavante, it was out of Nebraska and South Florida.
Speaker 3: Avante. We beat South Florida. That's just the most wild thing. How talented he is, right, craah. And they thought he was too small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would say, I mean I what Levante played for US around two o eight too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in the teens at highest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's his first year.
Speaker 5: His first year is two nine, two ten, and then his last year was sixteen to two nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did he play the whole year at that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, he'd lose a little bit during the year, but he was solid to fifteen to two nineteen.
Speaker 2: He need his ass off too, because Levonte didn't have a driver's license in college. So I was like the guy who had the license, and so Lavonte would ride with me and he'd want me to pull in Sonic all the time. He'd be getting the fucking chili cheese dogs and yeah, tell about I got a game weight And I'm like, well, you think this is the right way to gain weight?
Speaker 3: And well, in college is you's got to eat whatever. Yeah, on a budget. That's a classic thing too. The Nebraska pages up. That's got Lavonte David at two twenty five.
Speaker 1: Right clover, Yeah, oh classic. He never never never spe.
Speaker 3: Not even close talk to me I want, and we're kind of it's already an hour. It's been a great pot You've been doing an amazing job. Talk to me about your experience as well, like like recruiting him and then he loved Yeah, yeah he could.
Speaker 1: He probably he decommitted about what twenty six do you He wouldn't decommit, but I will.
Speaker 4: He wanted, he wanted, he wanted to be loved, he wanted, he wanted to do, he wanted to talk all the time.
Speaker 1: Hey, at the end of the day, it's all we all want, right, we just want to be loved.
Speaker 4: Like I would hang up the phone with him and I would just look at my wife and say, I hope he goes somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Oh I did not just start crying on the pod. No, No, he was Did you have a lot offers? Yeah? Oh yeah, four.
Speaker 4: Star athletes, big recruit and uh, you know, obviously it was my first year or so. We were we worked on him and he told me, you know, I for for a while, I tell him the story like how it had because he was getting ready to flip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so who are you going to flip too? Probably it was Illinois and Miszoo. So just to give content, give to give context. Like Illinois had just competed in the Rose Bowl against USC and they had Jay Lahman, who was like an All American linebacker who.
Speaker 4: Was close there at the time, and he was really you know, Zook was a great recruiter, right.
Speaker 1: Because Champagne doesn't seem like the most fun place in the world. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm definitely glad I didn't go there. And then Miszoo had chased Angel. Yeah, Miszoo had chased Annuel and Jeremy Macklin and they were, you know, in the Big Twelve Championship. They were like that close. So you had the instant pressure pressure of going to Missoo. And then I had committed to Nebraska before the season started, So before Nebraska's even playing, we had like a top five recruiting class. Blaine Gabbert was the quarterback, five star quarterback we had. We had a top five recruiting class for sure, and all the rival rankings and ship and Nebraska had a bad year. They went like five and seven. Maybe it was the first time they hadn't done something, and then you know X amount of years, so they fired Bill Callahan. They wanted like his you know, his head on a stake. Basically, Nebrassa is crazy when it goes off. We're talking about all the breakup stuff earlier with him Exit by ten with Bill Callahan. Yeah, and so Nebrassa's basically falling apart. It's not like the nineties this that the other and SO guys are decommitting. They're jumping ship and MISSOO and Illinois were having good years and they were recruiting me hard. And there was this time where they didn't have a head coach in place in Bo. They didn't have an AD yet, So I was taking visits to other places because I was probably.
Speaker 1: Going to decommit and go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: And tom Osborn gets hired as the ad. He comes into Old bond Ter Missouri teachers. Old teachers are going nuts about tom Osmore because he's like one of the most wingingst coaches of all time. And he's like, I can assure you're gonna like the new head coach. And you know you're sitting there as a kid, fucking drinking your ow kool aid and shit like that, Like I still figured I was gonna go somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Bo gets hired.
Speaker 2: I go on official visit to Nebraska.
Speaker 1: It was a solid visit. Shut up.
Speaker 2: L Laurence was my host both he did a great job. He took my mom to church because that's what did it, and that's what did it.
Speaker 1: From my mom.
Speaker 2: We get back, you know how it is getting recruited like you're special. It just well, just just taking her to church. My mom she's a Catholic school president, so she's like that really tugged on her heart strings. And you know at that point, being a senior, you're having to miss basketball games, watching your friends, your the volleyball games, like going this stuff because you're having in home visits. That's back when you can get texts, phone calls all the time. There's like no limits. So I'm just over recruiting. Like Notre Dame came in late, which is where I wanted to go initially, and I just didn't want to go on a visit because like I just don't care anymore at this point.
Speaker 1: But offered late. Notre Dame offered late, like after guys didn't commit at the All American Games. I was like a fucking you know.
Speaker 2: Back yeah peace, yeah, And so missoo visits. My mom's school at Saint Rose. This is a week before I'm announcing me say that I was going to Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Going to make my announcement on Tuesday before. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I mean I understand where you're coming from. That's how it was done. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's nothing in front of you.
Speaker 1: And that's what we beat.
Speaker 4: A staff beating and I would be like, no offense, excuse my pardon my friends, but is this guy a douche?
Speaker 1: Oh? That hurts so miszoo missoo.
Speaker 2: The linebacker coach comes and visit my mom at her school, comes to the school and visits Logan's with me, and so we have a good time at school, and I'm like he's like, yo, what you know who you gonna pick out? A you know, missoo and Illinois. Because I had told my mom, look, I'm not going to Nebraska. Like it's not going to happen. Because she had such a good time on the visit, my mom starts crying in the living room because she wants me to go to Nebraska because she loves bo. Yeah exactly, And you know, I was just like, it's gonna be Missouri Illinois.
Speaker 1: Plus it's closer to home.
Speaker 2: I can be closer to home, and you know, the old man, he's like, oh, you gotta go, you gotta you know, don't worry about that shit, don't worry about the nstate pressure.
Speaker 1: Bah blah blah.
Speaker 2: So Bo calls me on the way back from a zoo visiting my mom at school. Bo calls me, comp what's up? Cop, daddy?
Speaker 1: What's up? You said? Daddy? Cop? Daddy? Cop daddy? What's up? Baby? These embellishing things? Yeah, I can I do?
Speaker 2: Can? Can you let me do one more favorite before you make your decision next week? And it's kind of like a courtesy.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of like, yeah, sure, what's up? Because I'm thinking what could it be? And he goes, I want to fly my staff down for Sunday to watch the NFC Championship game. And I'm bummed, and I said, yes, Like I do him do the favorite because I'm like, I'm over the in home visits, I'm over all that stuff. And I'm like, yeah, sure, coach, we can do that. And he's like, I want to fly down, you know, called the decordinator linebacker coach dB. All the defensive staff didn't send up that wasn't you know stay at home, dub Yeah. And the practical staff comes in that night for the NFC Championship game, and I'm talking like, you know, it's like the wedding, like everyone's vibing in different rooms, everyone's kind of cross pollinating, like having the best time ever.
Speaker 1: And they walked down the great time.
Speaker 2: We're teaching the old guys about the new iPhone, like we're playing games in the other room, some people watching it.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine what that process was the iPhone right right?
Speaker 2: And Egler, the linebacker coach, he has this temporary tattoo that looks real of my name on his arm and everything else, like we just have a great night.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys.
Speaker 3: You definitely said Tom Daddy if you got coaches with temporary tattoos.
Speaker 2: And so they walk out of the house and I'm like, yo, this is I don't know where else i'd write, who else I'd rather play for? Like people always say picked the school, picked this and that, and you know, I'm always somebody who like I picked the staff, because when they left, I was like, these are who I want to play for. These guys who I want to play for. And from that moment, and then I went big red really yeah.
Speaker 3: So the last swing was that was on Rune because there was going the other way. There's nob Yeah, you're going to Missouri.
Speaker 1: Probably in Missouri it was probably Miszoo. It's private Miszoo. You might have he might have.
Speaker 4: He might have into four schools in those four days.
Speaker 2: Hey, my freshman year. Then when I was red shirted, Miszoo waxed us. Oh I remember Carl coming over like, trust me, we'll never lose the Miszoo like this again. Yeah, oh, we could have had something. Well you got to offer by Nebraska, we could have had something. Yeah, no question, But what's your What didn't press me like he pressed you though? Bo?
Speaker 3: Like he came to the school and it was awesome. I was like, he was the first head coach, I think, the only head coach to come see me. So I thought that was the coolest shit ever. But other than that, you committed really quick to Michigan. It was a couple of months by Like, like I said, they within the three month period.
Speaker 1: What they do out there in Michigan. I got that dough. Baby. Did you get paid?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't get paid.
Speaker 2: I don't get dude, I was, have you ever what have you ever slid an envelope? No boosters for that?
Speaker 1: Yea? That? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I mean any good boo stories in the tank? No, I know, I mean there there was no one Nebraska there.
Speaker 1: He's such a but I love it. I love it. What do you know what I mean, all the.
Speaker 4: Years you've known me, do you think that I would pay a player.
Speaker 1: Just before I would do that? There's no way. But you know what I'm talking about, because I think they'd own you. You're in l s U. Dude, you're in the SEC. No, let me tell you how that was. Shoot is not cheap.
Speaker 4: Now, I was with you. I mean, I don't know whether what happens. I don't know if there's something well.
Speaker 1: I Tyron Matthew on here at some point.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know if there's some booster somewhere that couds. You can't control that. I mean, yeah, you can't control that. But I'm just saying, like, if you're aware of it, you.
Speaker 3: Know no, no, I I I've never saw it, Okay, but I also think that people know me well enough to know that I wouldn't want to be around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, they wouldn't. I mean, they wouldn't know. I believe you as.
Speaker 3: A coach, you you didn't pay any players or you know, facilitate that move.
Speaker 1: But I mean, LS, you definitely come on about that. We're talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, I've said this, I truly believe that this whole Nile thing, all it does is, I mean the stuff was going on, I mean from the boosters and all that that stuff was going on. So they did was make some of the cheating that was happening legal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: What's one of your crazier recruiting stories? Tell the porn one. I hope you guys are very much enjoying this episode of Bo Paolini. Huge news from the Candadips camp on the north coast of home Bolt County, California.
Speaker 1: As you all know, Candidates are.
Speaker 2: The premier dip alternative that is tobacco and nicotine free with CBD. Candadiates can't be more excited about football season, just like the Boys, and they are announcing the Game of the Year sweepstakes to support the entire Wolf Nation Tier one nation on living out their Game of the Year. Head to CANADAPCBD dot com and click on game of the Year to enter. One winner will be chosen one Tier one will be chosen on August thirty first, and will win three thousand dollars to spend on heading to any football game of their choice this season. So you don't have to be a fan of just the tight if you could be anywhere a fan of whoever of any of your boys, dude, and you get to pick any football game you want to go to or just pocket the cash. Also, the candidim Squad has dropped a twenty percent off code sightwide with code busting, So at the CANADAPCBD dot com and use code busting on anything to save twenty percent off as you lit boom the candidap CBD pouches wherever you go talk about using the product, football, badass giveaways, etc. Listen, I've already told you what you needed to do. You go to CANADAFCBD dot com and click on Game of the Year to enter to get three thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Bloss.
Speaker 2: He loves the Niners, he would sleep with all of them. So what he's gonna do is he's gonna go click on Game of the Year and enter, and he's gonna get that three thousand. He's literally gonna spend all of it to go to San Francisco to go see a game.
Speaker 1: Uh so yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, canadacbd dot com click on Game of the Year to answer.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yeah, so I go, I'm recruiting this kid down in Texas and are we allowed to give names? I honestly don't remember what I mean. I've recruited so many kids out of there. And I walk in and it all families there, like the mother, a couple of some of the kids. There's answers, uncles. It was just huge, great room like this. It was like this so like in that corner is like these high to like a high top bar, and it seemed like across fifty yards away there's you know, some couches and a TV set up. It was a kind of a weird setup. And she's like, let's go over here, coach and talk. And we're sitting there talking and and we're communicating, and we're tom talking about the scholarship and I hear this noise behind me and I'm like, nah, I can't be and I'm just kind of getting distracted and what kind.
Speaker 1: Of noises are we hearing? Pint me a picture.
Speaker 2: Can you mimic those noises?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, who is it?
Speaker 3: Like a there was both, there was feminine and what do the dude sound like?
Speaker 1: There were some grunts going on.
Speaker 2: Can you.
Speaker 1: You can't?
Speaker 4: So I turn around and I'm like, I'm like, this has can't be what I think it is. I turn around and there's this big screen TV and they're back there and they're like, all like watching porn.
Speaker 1: They got porn going heavy? Who is they while the uncles? Yeah, while I'm while I'm recruiting the other just sitting there, half chubbed with each other. Yeah, they're sitting there and they're like, hey, look at that.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, and the mom kind of looks at me. She goes coach ignore them. I'm like, wow, it's kind of hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a little unusual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that that could go. Where were you at the time. I was at Nebraska the time. Did he come to Nebraska?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: He didn't end up coming Probably for the best, huh. Yeah, I don't know, if I say, I don't even know if I kept recruiting A.
Speaker 3: Kidding, Oh, it was over. I mean, it was that was so bizarre. That's a weird deal. Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to.
Speaker 2: Recruit in the living room and you hear just poorn behind you. You know, me personally, I don't know if I'm joining them or if I'm going to continue to recruit.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Let's catch up in a second. And we got going on here. Yeah, that's a weird deal man.
Speaker 4: To see what I was telling Will last night about I was recruiting down in Texas and Tim Beck and I were I know one of them was Jamal Turner because we were going to his school, but it was either Donovan, Vestal or Cere. So we're at this other school. We walk in to see the coach and he's also the Diana Boys, and he's sitting there. There's this kid in there looked like something from like one of the eighties movies with like spiked hair. Yeah, like all kinds of crazy shit going on in his terror and he's getting he's getting the coaches laying into.
Speaker 1: Him, Hey boss, you're good. And I'm talking buss.
Speaker 3: And about thirty you know kids, and we catch like the last thirty seconds and the coach is like, so get your you know, get your shit together, get out of here. And the kid gets up and kind of nods at us as he walks by, and we're like, okay, you know, so.
Speaker 1: We do our visit leave that school.
Speaker 4: So we knew Jamal was had a He had a like a what do they call it, those athletic periods. So we they were having basketball practice, so let's go, let's go grab lunch and we'll go over there and we'll get there right when.
Speaker 1: Basketball practice is over.
Speaker 4: So we get show up at Jamal's school and we walk in and the coaches there, the head coach is out there talking and they're just finishing up basketball practice.
Speaker 1: And we look up.
Speaker 4: And and I see Tim Becker. He was my off of our offensive coordinator. He goes, hey, what's up man? And I turned and I look. It was the kid that was in the other school, sitting there getting chewed out by the coach. By the Dina boys. He's walking by and goes, hey, what's up man. A kid goes hey, what's up, and Beca goes.
Speaker 1: Aren't you going to Booie? Aren't you from Bowie? He goes, no, I'm here.
Speaker 2: No, oh, he just from the old school.
Speaker 3: And he walks in the door closes and he sits down in class, and I'm like, look at each other, like, what the hell happened? That kid was just going for other school like an hour and forgot in a wild.
Speaker 1: The kid is left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was at the other and then he walked in. He turned around out taking no, I'm here now, like it's a totally normal thing. He was just a regular student, backs like, hey, what's up, and they're like they're like like they knew each other. And I turned around, I'm like, is that that? And he walks in like is that that kid?
Speaker 1: Back? Hey, I thought you were over at Bullie And he was like, no, I'm here now.
Speaker 3: Out of here, and there's God, that's awesome. Foxles. He transferred. He did, he entered the portal.
Speaker 1: He just.
Speaker 2: Before we get you out of here. I think it's imperative to tell the Deon Sanders story. This was something you told me when I was getting recruited because I wanted to ask you about because you had coached at San Fran when he was on San Fran.
Speaker 1: Right, because you would talk about he would I would find his back.
Speaker 4: I was like an assistant, you know, I was like an assistant at that time, Like I was just start as my first year in coaching, and and uh, you know, people have that this misconception about Dion about you know that, you know, because everybody saw the flat and everything. I always say I thought he was like, no, he was a he obviously a tremendous competitor. And uh, but we're in a we're in a play we're in the playoffs, and we're in a meeting and and uh, you know we're we're we're in like a quarters defense and that you know, they run the dig, they run the post in behind, and the safety was like a got more of a backup, kind of a nickel guy. And he's in there and he were like, you can don't be jumping the dig. You got you know, you cover, you got the post. And he's like I was. I was looking to get a pick. And they're like, we're like, no, you got the post. And he's like, I'll be there on Sunday. He goes like I was looking to get a pick here in practice. We're like and Dion turned and said, you got you got the post, and you know, you know, he's just the kid was just kind of yapp and a little bit next thing, you know, I had him buy basically by the throat up against the wall, saying and so in not so kind of terms, you better, you better be there all the time. Yeah, you're you're you're fing with our money. You know, this is playoff time, this is a real deal. And and it was like you know that when he got on the field, it was all you know, when he when it was time to play, it was all business man.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I mean he was a you know, just a great competitor. And you know, everybody saw the dancing and all the other things, but you know, he was he was a freak athlete. I mean I was. I was at that time. I was just cutting my teeth and coach, I was just learning, you know. And but we had some great players on that team. We won the Super Bowl that year, and some great players on that team.
Speaker 1: There you go, yes, sir, he doesn't call us sir, and I know he doesn't. That was the heyday back then, that was when we had this. We had some dudes. Yeah, they have some dudes. Some dudes. Now.
Speaker 2: Could you could you imagine being like, oh I got it on Sunday It's like no, no, you got the you got the post. I'll be there on Sunday and you just get somebody walking by the throat. But you against the wall there every day, not just on Sunday.
Speaker 1: We had some That's how though.
Speaker 2: What was what was it like watching him and Jerry Rice on the same team.
Speaker 4: Well, Jerry Rice, you know, I mean there's I don't think there's any ever been another player in the history of the game that has the work ethic that guy has.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the guy that runs the mile hill or whatever. Yeah, he runs like, that's that guy that runs the mile hill.
Speaker 3: Well, I know Jerry that we talked about that that one time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he he did it every day and and and walk throughs whatever. It didn't matter. He was the same. Like I don't know if I can say out about anybody else I've ever ever run. I never saw him take a lazy step. I mean honestly, it's crazy. It's almost like like people like say that and like exaggerate.
Speaker 1: I'm not exaggerating. Never took a lazy step.
Speaker 4: No, he he won me. Why he finished. He caught the ball and finished to the goal line and walked through us. I mean he was taped up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, man, come on, man to walk through He's taped up and walk through. Say that, Oh yeah, yeah, that's wild. He was going he's one of the best ever? He is? Is he the best? The rest ever? Ever?
Speaker 3: I think he is. I mean I taped up and walked through running the end zone. I think in his position, he's got to be the best player.
Speaker 1: You weren't. I could tell you that you weren't. I played defense. I couldn't finish the end zone. You know what I mean? You coulda off go to the tag off. Well, you couldn't catch either either. Bullshit, dude, wide receiver. I was all state widers.
Speaker 2: I did on defense because I dropped some easy picks. Bro jump some easy ones, easy ones. That's why he's referring to.
Speaker 1: That's how you want h Yeah, what happened you? Honestly?
Speaker 2: Like I was covering this back to the like he came up to do an option a round and I was covering him. He ran out and so I'm just covering him. It was like the end of the game. So I didn't think the ball is getting thrown too do you obviously never want to think that. But as I'm turning around to see if the ball gets thrown, the balls being thrown. It just hits me in the face, so I just didn't have time to catch it.
Speaker 1: And then there was that easy layup that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, I'm probably just trying to survive, you know what I mean, because you're probably pissed off even though we won the fucking game. Remember remember Alfonso that the year against Colorado, he gave up the touch on at the end of the game. I mean we were the game was over and Alfonso gave up a touchdown. Basically, it was was lazy on the play, but both.
Speaker 1: Listen more than lazy. I was ready to kill him. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Both comes in and he goes, you ever fucking do ship like that again, I'll send your as back to Georgia. Like you finished, like you know, finishing to the end of the game. Yeah, you finished.
Speaker 4: He's just oh he basically took the playoff. And let me tell you, Fonzo.
Speaker 1: Was a Yeah, he was a monster. And it doesn't sound like it sounds like he really wasn't a competitor. Oh no, but he's.
Speaker 4: Really It was so out of character for him, and he took the playoff and gave up like a what like a seventy five year bomb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the game was over. Yeah, but Colorado was still you know, bombs fuming. I did. I couldn't. I don't even think. I don't think I didn't even enjoy the win. Yeah happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of those ones where I'm like, I you know that that can't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, I don't even think I enjoyed the win. Was there ever a time you were mad at Will like that? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: So Will was pretty solid from the get go. Other than the recruiting bullshit. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Other than yeah, other than he wanted, you know, got his hand out all that stuff, the recruiting process, wanted to get that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to get that down my house. Yeah. Yeah, Well it was a good dude though. I like that.
Speaker 4: Ye, he was posting rap songs and stuff when he was like on his Twitter and back that wasn't there was no Twitter back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, dub Lamborghini, mercy your chicks, she's so thirsty. No, I mean I was pretty suffer.
Speaker 2: There's one time Dobb's yelling at me because I couldn't finish the GPP, Like I'm laying on the ground like your tad and people are pouring water on me and dobs like, oh you think you can lead in front of eighty five thousand.
Speaker 1: But you can't. That's the worst, bro, six am or something like that. I'm a freshman just getting dummied.
Speaker 3: Do you guys do Matt Jill's in college? But you like have a towel and it's like, who can get the towlway from the other guy?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, yeah, yeah, they did this ship like that.
Speaker 3: I had knocked out doing that in college. Really, Oh Temple shot elbow sleeping?
Speaker 1: You guys do that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bo only caught me kind of being lazy one time in practice and he's just like.
Speaker 1: You think you're in the fucking NFL. You It was like, baby, what's up?
Speaker 3: Remember the Remember the what was it the Virginia Tech game?
Speaker 1: Your freshman year? Yeah, well we're recher freshman year. Did he start his rest freshman year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: This was his freshman year, freshman fresh and he was being red shirted during that year. Oh yeah, yeah, We'll play in Virginia Tech and our fourth game kind of screws up a couple of times and he's standing there and I, you know.
Speaker 1: Get coughed and ready. You know, I'm standing there, bro, Dude, turn around. I look at him and he was looking at me, and I said, you ready to go? And he was like m hm hole. Part of the game. Was it like second chor third quarter, third quarter? I mean it was like you're standing. It was been standing for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it was like the first big game, like of Bo's ten. Ye, like, because you know, the first four games you're kind of playing like easing in. You play a big nine couple. That was our big non conference game, Tours and Rose Virginia Tech and I think we did. We win the It was like thirty. But yeah, it was like, you know, you're in the You're in the heat of the battle.
Speaker 1: Dude, get camps the right.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of standing there like hearing the conversation.
Speaker 1: I'm like, holy ship, do that thing. I almost had to go play guard my first game. Really.
Speaker 3: He has the chiefs our guard give up two sacks and like, hey, be ready to go play a guard and I'm like, you better get I'm gonna get up three sacks and what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Hey, you guard?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. It was brutal man First round picks not playing to go play guard. Yeah, I mean you know.
Speaker 1: I mean the league.
Speaker 3: It's like you have seven guys dressing or whatever. So I was like the first guy in beside center and they had me. I mean, I'm literally I'm a one trick pint. I can only play left tackle. You put me a right tackle, It's go ahead. You can run around the edge all day long. So but during Canda have me playing let f right guard. They heavy playing everywhere and Andy Leavittrie started off. It started out tough. I think, you know, someone put him in a blender a couple times, and it was like early in the game and he's like, you're ready to go at guard, and I'm thinking myself, I'm about to be out of the league before I even started my career.
Speaker 1: One shit.
Speaker 3: Ever, I was freaking out. Thankfully, Andy finished the game. Shout at Andy lev Trie, I got to have some garbage. No he retired though, so shout out yeah. That was terrifying. Though I never was in a situation like that as a as a freshman because I was like two fifty getting into college. I was always in the sweatsuit, hanging out a little hungover watching the game.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. It's a good time, man, I was.
Speaker 3: I was late to the Ohio State game my freshman year anyway, so that's who you were going to deal with. If I went to Nebraska, it wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I overslept.
Speaker 3: I literally ran like two miles to the stadium and showed up like thirty minutes before kickoff. We didn't make a Bowl giame that year, so after the game it was like, everyone go home. Never got in trouble for it.
Speaker 1: But the looks I got during the game, Oh, it was brutal stuff. Who was Who was the coach when you were there? Was? It? Was it?
Speaker 3: Brady No, rich Rodriguez, Okay, rich Ardriguez for the first two years and then Brady Hope for the last three. So I mean we went to a Sugar Bowl one time, played Virginia Tech won like in a triple overtime on a kick. Brady did a good job there, Yeah, I thought he did. And he was a great guy too. I really enjoyed my time with Brady rich Rod. I don't think Richard got a fair shot from the kick go because it was really like nineties eighties. We want Michigan to be like that, and he came in He's like that, dude's all spread right, you know. He came from from West Virginia and he started doing the spread. He had a lot of tools though, he said when he started getting knew what they were hiring, and yeah, that's that's what he did. He was the best at it. But you know yet these people hiring, but the fans might not agree with that. Higher I think from the gek did. They wanted Harball from the very beginning. The whole time I was there, like we need to get Harball, I need to get Harriball. And now he's there and the success where it hasn't been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think their first couple of years or won nine ten games. But last year were we looking up and Portanly was on like two and four? Yeah, it was really what's up stuff? To win nine and things? Is people think it's easy, it's not. They find out real quick it's not. Yeah, isn't it's portantly a Michigan guy. Yeah, yeah, he was at the same time Brady was. Yeah, both that hell of careers.
Speaker 1: Man. You had a little altercation of portan HQ, didn't you. I mean not really.
Speaker 2: I felt like he was kind of wanting some kind of altercation.
Speaker 1: He want the cameras run. Yeah, so he won a little fistfight.
Speaker 2: Verbally, yeah, and you I mean I saw him, Oh, what's up, boss, and I'm boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know how it called her my boss? Yeah, like actually your boss.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I mean yeah, but I'm like, oh, you're here at HQ and he's like, yeah, where else would I be.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I mean, I don't know. I've seen you in Miami a lot, Like yeah, it wasn't a question like that. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He said, oh yeah, yeah at h Q, and so I'm just like that's awesome, and yeah, check it out on under the Hood subscribed to you, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It's on under the Hood.
Speaker 2: And then I felt him when he was walking over, and I was like, it's up, Dave.
Speaker 1: I just felt like he.
Speaker 2: Was just like, you know, interested, looking seeing what's up.
Speaker 1: He gets some content of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think so. But I didn't have the boy with me, you know what I mean, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Right. I'm thinking, Hey, it's all good man, don't need to have your guard up like you boys don't know. But you're safe. Yeah, yeah, that's funny. But Bo has.
Speaker 2: Been on a part of my take. Did Danny Woodhead w Vanny Woodhead during Great Week?
Speaker 1: He's done the Peachure review with Paul. You've done it all? Huh.
Speaker 4: I've done a couple of those things. Had They came in to do Rough and Rowdy in Youngstown and so interesting look right? And did the uh did a review?
Speaker 1: Huh? And Rough and Rowdies are an interesting look? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh you think that we're out there in Miami, dude. It was a different little a different deal for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh it was awesome. I enjoyed it. The one guy, the one guy what was it? What was one guy's name? They called him? I think they had him on a few other times. They Raccoon boy. They eventually he was this kid from Youngstown. I was like, he came out of a trash kid. I was like one of the first fights I know. I was like, I'm gonna enjoy this. This is pretty good. They keep it going too. It's not like there's a big in between fight things. They just know they kick him out. They just keep going.
Speaker 1: Guys are exhausted just throwing haymakers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there's some of them, like you can tell, Like they throw bunches for twenty seconds and they're spent.
Speaker 1: It's all. They're done. It's over. Oh yeah, this is the kid coming out. There is there's raccoon Yeah, rack, there is this raccoon boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But I think they got him to come to a couple other things. They like they he ended up going to a couple. It was a little celebrity. He's a rough, routy celebrity. It was not he was an awful fighter. Like these guys, he's trying to get out. This guy please have them moment.
Speaker 1: Oh that's him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's raccoon boy. How does he get out? I showed up at a wedding. He was at a wedding I was at. I was like, they were like, hey, coach, that's raccoon Bully. I'm like, no way.
Speaker 3: He didn't think this part through. Yeah, comes out wearing a leather vest.
Speaker 1: It's not very athletic. Obviously, did he win this fight? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think they it was basically they were both so tired after throwing punches for the first fifteenth that.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, glove tap love that got to bounce to him. A little boy look at the ponytail. Boy, I had to cut this off. I have to leave. I don't have to cut it off like you guys can still chat or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I have a worker's comp hearing that I got to be pressent for in a polo shirt.
Speaker 1: Are you think you're going to get some money? Possibly, Let's go with that. The old knee. You gotta get the old knee.
Speaker 2: Ray.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a twelve forty five all right.
Speaker 3: Man, Hey, it's been an absolutely Subscriberry five stars and all busting with the boys. Stuff you had Spotify, Apple Music, we got merchbarstool dot Com, slash store. You can get all our stuff, especially those new little jumpies. Give the new jumpies that Will was wearing a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful stuff.
Speaker 1: What's a jumpy you'll see, We'll show you.
Speaker 3: It's a shirt and short combo that looks at a jump soup. You probably look pretty good.
Speaker 1: In it, actually, Hawaian shirt swimming drunks. Yeah, look, give me a T shirt. I'm not wearing it jump because I'm not wearing a jumpy.
Speaker 3: We'll just get you the collar shirt to go with it for golf, all right, subscriber to five stars.
Speaker 1: We love you all.
Speaker 2: Big hugs, head kisses, big shout out to you guys. If you enjoyed this episode and love and support Busting with the Boys, go to whatever podcast platform you're on and subscribe to us. Leave a review rate five stars. If you're already subscribed, unsubscribe and resubscribe again. It helps the boys climb the charts and again, we can't We wouldn't be doing this and can't do this without you guys and all of your support. We also have a YouTube channel if you like. If you'd like to watch our show or these episodes, they are on YouTube at Busting with the Boys. We're also on social media at bustin WTB. You can follow us everywhere, go buy our merch. You guys know that whole deal, But thank you so much. We are forever grateful for you. The biggest of hugs and tiniest of kisses for the boys, always and forever,