Speaker 1: Hey, let's get into the Phillies right now. The Philly Show host Jim Salisberry joining us and you can catch that show multiple times per week with his buddies tied to Lecky and Rubin tomorrow, Junior, Jim, Great to have you back on here, man.
Speaker 2: What's the latest? What's going on with this team?
Speaker 1: Can we start with the experiment too, right, because a couple of weeks ago, I think they shot the world with the Luisa Rise edition, not the addition, but the way they did the whole shuffle.
Speaker 2: How is the shuffle going in your minds experiment at this point?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, they won five in a row, matching a season high first time since May. They're back to eleven game twelve or five hundred, and the offense is really clicking lately in a way where they're not just sitting back and waiting for big home runs. They're actually getting on base more. They're a team on base percentage for the month of August is one of the best in baseball, and putting pressure on a posing pitcher, scoring more runs, and just playing a better brand of offensive baseball. So I think it's been a nice addition his approach. I think maybe is rubbed off on a few people, but you know, Bryson Stott's been really good for two plus months. Alec Bowman was having his best stretch of the season, and that's also increased the contact in the lineup. Harper lately is walking a ton. I mean, he's on base percentage in August Leeds Baseball. He's getting on base every night some way, shape or form. Now is tied for the major league lead and walks, and there was some you know, they were teetering coming out of the break, but I think they've righted themselves and on a really good course now here over the final thirty five games to get into October and and see what happens. I mean, they still have holes, They're still very thin in that rotation. There's still suspect defensively, but lately the defense has been a lot better. A lot of their holes lately or their question marks have have you been answered positively? And they're just having a really good stretch here.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jim, you never know how players are going to rack the changing positions, But do you believe moving Alec Baum from a third base over to first base is kind of freedom up offensively?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I don't know. I don't know, because he's actually played a quite a bit of first base in his career. It's not foreign to him. He has gone over there and he's had a couple tough games, but more often than not, he's been either just fine or very good. But I don't know if the defensive move has freed him up as much as he's just starting to see some results, and I see it's just a more confident hitter. I see a more confident body language and the way he's walking around the clubhouse going out to VP. Just this whole demeanor seems to be looking up. And it was just ten days ago there were folks around town and fans and whatnot talking about DFA and him, as crazy as that sounds, that's not going to happen. He's an important guy on this team. But lately he's just picked up his offense and he's just I think personally, it's just all about getting some results and having some confidence. And Bryson Stotts the guy that's played great defensively at third base, and last night Boem really joined the party unassisted double play at first base, where he made a terrific athletic move. So I just think he feels better about his entire game. It's been a struggle for him all season. He's had an off field personal issue that I think is weight out him. But lately he just looks more free and easy to me. I mean, you guys know, like I think, when you're more free and easy mentionally, you play better.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, for sure, But you need to stop listening to w I P if you're talking about Boem getting dfade, because you're never gonna You're never gonna DFA.
Speaker 3: Yeah I said it. What it's not going to happen. Alcohol is a good player having a tough.
Speaker 5: Year, Yeah, one hundred percent, and he's you know, he's going to end up with really good numbers because that's what he does every year. It'll be an interesting free agent case. I think the Phillies let him walk. You mentioned Bryce and Stott changing over to third base. Most people don't know his errless streak at second base is still intact because he's not playing second base. Do you see this is the year where Scott wins his gold Glove? Since you've watched him and now he could be up for the utility gold Glove.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be a certainly I think a nice way to handle it that utility spot because he's bounced. He was on his way, I think to a gold glove. Just played an exceptional defense at second base and moved over to third base in a year where he could have, you know, maybe won the Gold Glove at second and he's been great at third base. I don't know if he saw last night's game. He was playing great at third base even before last night. But they're in a two run game in the ninth inning and Johann Duran is down for the night, and they're going to try to get through that ninth inning with Brooks Railey and Chase Sugar is up in the bullpen, and they get one, two, three, with Brooks Railey on the mount and Stott makes two. He looked like Greg Nettle's over there, Mike Schmidt one diving to his left for the first out that I thought really changed the kind of complexion of the inning because you don't want to get that leadoff guy on. And then he made another great one to end the game, so I almost thought he deserved part of the save. So he's been terrific over there, and he could win a gold Glove. I think I think it would be really fitting for him to receive consideration for that utility gold Glove, and I think he deserves one of This kid is a really he's a really good baseball player. If you go back to like June tenth, he's fourth in the majors in war according to Fangrass for position players. I think he's been their MVP over the last two months.
Speaker 1: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals.
Speaker 2: For the future.
Speaker 1: Kate twe twelves dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about.
Speaker 1: How his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 4: All right, staying on the defensive topic, I got a question for you. Bryce Harper decides what's best for the team him going back to the outfield when they go out and acquire Luisa Rise. I got a chance to watch Philly shortly after the All Star break when they were playing Toronto. Bryce didn't seem like he had the same army head when he was a full time outfielder. Have you seen some improvements in that arm strength? And I know it's very difficult because you're going to train a little bit differently as a first baseman than you would as a right fielder, But have you seen signs that he's getting kind of back to that outfielder that he was before the move to first base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he hasn't hurt them at all out there. He's been, you know, more than adequate. If anything, maybe he doesn't move quite as well as he did before because he's had a little bit of a knee issue. He banged it right before the All Star Game, sliding into second base. I think it's natural that the arm's gonna need a little build up time. And the day they decided to implement this plan, he went out to the outfield immediately and started throwing, started long toss and so I think it's a work in progress, but it's certainly been adequate. He has really I can't recall. I guess once there was a throat of the plate where he kind of aired it and it looked fine to me. But this whole new defensive configuration to accommodate a bat. They needed a contact bet they needed started with Bryce Harper, and you know, if they get to October and have a nice run and arise makes a difference. You know, I think you have to give Bryce Harper and obviously the front office that made the trade, but you have to give Bryce Harper a tip of the hat because you know, that was an unselfish move to get a hitter in here. Because the guy, he's got a great resume, but he's missing a world championship. He wants to win very very badly.
Speaker 5: And the fans want him to win, win very badly. And you were talking about the last fourteen days. Fourteen days ago there was some fear that this team may not make the playoffs. Okay, let's say they are a playoff cinch now that they've won five in a row, which I don't agree because there's some teams that are nipping on their heels. Is this bullpen playoff ready? The same bullpen that essentially lost them the last two playoff runs? And I know people are gonna say, oh, that the offense didn't hit, but it was really the pen that lost it. Are they playoff ready? Well, you're right about the pen.
Speaker 3: The last two October's they've played eight games and they have a bullpen ara over six and five blown saves. So the bullpen, along with the inconsistent offense and some defensive meltdowns. Last year against the Dodgers, they really beat themselves in that series. But for the last three years. You go back to twenty three, the bullpen struggled in Arizona and that series really turned. Are they October ready out there? I don't know, they know they have personnel that's done it before. I just look at bullpens as being so up and down some mercurial that I think the key to them in October is going to be beyond having one of their kind of upticks, which they can have at times. The good thing is, and you had him last October, you have a lockdown closer in Duran that's been a heck of a pickup for the Phillies. The guy you really need to get going is Alvarado, who has struggled pretty much all year, hasn't thrown strikes like he has in the past, but if they could get him going here, he'd make a big difference Bowl and has been a nice pick up pit pitching and towards the back end eighth inning in leverage. You know, Kirkering is a guy who had a really good run to start the year, has kind of struggled a little bit here here and there lately. If you can get him going, that's going to help you. So I do think, you know, there's a there's decent personnel there. But you know, if if people are out there saying I don't really trust the Phillies bullpen, I mean I think there are reasons for that because of the season they've had, but it can turn quickly out there. If guys can get out a good role.
Speaker 4: Well, it's help on the way. Because reports our nextter Cortes is in agreement on a major league deal to come there is the plan for him to go to the bullpen or is he going to be in the rotation.
Speaker 3: Well, I would think he's going to come as as death because from what I hear, is going to need a little time to get ready. They did not add to the starting rotation at the deadline, and that was, you know, kind of I it caught your eye because it was an area they really needed to address, starting pitching depth. So I think he comes in immediately as starting pitching depth. Maybe he can give these guys some rest if you can get him in there. But I don't know how long he's going to take, you know, how long it's going to take him to get ready after that. If he's getting people out, I could see him almost in any role, certainly in the bullpen, because that's what it's going to take, is that they need guys to get out, and if he's going to get out, still find a place for him in that bullpen in October because they're starting rotation in October is going to be you know, it's gonna be the Lozarto, wheel or Sanchez Nola. But if he wants to, if he wants to complicate things at the back of the rotation or in the bullpen, they'll take it. Because they're thin in all areas of pitching. I mean, they have one breakdown, they're gonna be in big trouble. So that's to me, that's what this signing is about. The depth issue that they did not dress address at the deadline. Much like last year when they brought in Walker Bueller late. I think this is very similar to that. But if he's up and ready and ready to take some starts as this thing winds down, I can see them occasionally maybe one or two turns using a six man so you can get Wheeler, so you can get Lizardo and Sanchez all a little rest because they've all carried some pretty heavy loads.
Speaker 5: And Scientism and Wheeler have not been throwing the most strikes as they normally have. Maybe a little wear and tear. But how encouraged or do you think it's fool's gold Andrew Painter's return to the big leagues has been for the Phillies and what they think of him moving forward for this season, not future, but just this season.
Speaker 3: For this season. They want him to, you know, kind of stabilize that fifth spot. And I don't think they're going to get greedy. If he can give them five goode and keep them in a game, they're gonna take it. If they can push it to six, they're gonna be elated. Is it fools gold?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think it's the natural growth of a talented young pitcher. It takes time. And you know, he got his nose bloodied quite a bit here earlier in the season and he's grown from it. And what we're seeing is lately he's keeping him in games. I mean, there was some kind of evidence of that in his last outing and gave up a first inning grand slam, and it was like there was no woe as me. He stayed at it and he kept him in the game and they ended up rallying and got a victory. Stayed in that game ate some innings and they were able to come back and get a victory. So that was a growth moment for me. So I don't think his growth is fool's gold. I don't think he's going to decide this penet race, but I think he can be a real contributor here down the stretch as he continues to grow and hopefully become a mainstay and a really productive, important contributor in future seasons.
Speaker 2: We have popin colors for mack Weldon here.
Speaker 1: I've got a little green shade, You've got a nice blue shade.
Speaker 2: And what else do you love about mack Weldon crats.
Speaker 5: I can be head to toe with Mack Weldon. I have the underwear, I have the shorts, I have the pants, I have the socks. Obviously we got the shirt and the jackets. But it's head to toe comfort no matter what piece they send. I even have a belt that looks sick.
Speaker 1: And make sure you check out mack Weldon's air Knit ex fabric to help you out. Their lightest fabric fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. That barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and more fresh. You can browse that collection at mackweldon dot com. Don't sweat the heat this summer. It feel as effortlessly cool as you look with Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m Ack w e L d O N dot com code oul.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you a question about Schwarmer. You got a chance to watch him over the last couple of years, day in and day out. Is he quietly putting together a Hall of Fame resume?
Speaker 3: I think so, you know, I think he can get to five hundred. Where's he right? He's pushing four hundred. Him and Harper are both pushing four hundred. He came into the season, I think with three forty. I mean, he could get five hundred home runs in a Philiates uniform. And he's an habitual winner who, like in what eleven or twelve seasons, goes to the postseason every year except one. So I personally think he can get there. I think if he gets five hundred, it's going to be hard to keep him out. And I think, you know, with that bat speed and the fact that he's here for you know, four plus years, he's really you know, he had a little rough spot here in the last few weeks, had a kind of a tender back, had a bit of a stomach issue. But he's back. He's back now, and if he gets the five hundred, don't you guys think he's gonna be tough to keep out?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think there's gonna be the Kyle Schwarber slash Gian Carlos Stanton, Like, if they both make it to five hundred, are they gonna keep him out? Are they gonna be the two kept out with five hundred that haven't been linked to steroids? I mean, that's gonna be the question. He's one that do you think he should have played in the or done the home run derby? Because I know it was bannered about that. His back was a little tight, and then he decided to do it, went deep into the home run derby, and then until I showed up at Alumni Day, he didn't have a home run. And I told Franski, the radio announcer for your buddy, Scott Franski for the Phillies, I said, look, he'll hit a home run tonight. He'll be fine. His back's fine. I massaged it, But do you think he should have done that? And do you think that could have been a misstep that in Philly, like maybe a little distraction could have kept them. You know, if you lose by a game two weeks of Sworeber being hurt scary.
Speaker 3: Do I think he should? I think he made the right decision for baseball and for the city he plays in, because that's the type of guy he is. Because it was the home run derby in Philadelphia, Bryce Harper was in it, and everybody wanted to see there are two hometown sluggers in it. They wanted to see the reigning National League home run king be in it. I do think he felt some pressure to be in it. He held out to the last minute because he wanted to, you know, get a good handle on the health of his back, because he had that little tweak earlier and he decided to do it. Did he have a setback because of it? He hasn't admitted to that. He hasn't said that he has. But is it possible. Sure. We know athletes keep things to themselves and don't want to be perceived as excuse makers, so it might have given him a little setback. This This guy is a very unselfish player, as you know, and he's a wonderful teammate, and he always thinks of others, and I do think he was thinking of the sport and the show and the spectacle, and it was hard for him to say no. And it might have taken its toll on him. But hopefully it won't hear down the road and he's back on track. He had a pretty good at bat late in last night's game. His line drive down to the opposite field produced a run which was good to see. And he has come around here with some home run pop. They need him, they need him all. They need all their pieces to be clicking here down the stretch to make this happen. But in a lot of ways, Schwarber is the guy that makes them go. He is such a difference maker when Kyle Schwarber is producing this as a different team.
Speaker 4: That final one for me. I know. The travel to Aisle for the Field of Dreams game wasn't easy on anyone. What have you kind of heard about the players experience are playing in that game.
Speaker 3: They loved it. They absolutely loved that. It was difficult travel. They basically made a day trip where they flew in bust In played a game played well. Schwarmer hit two home runs that was the game that kind of got them going a little bit because they were They lost two out of three in Saint Louis leading into that Iowa series, and one of those games was with Sanchez on the mound and the other loss was with Wheeler on the mound. And you cannot lose games with those guys on the mound. You have to cash in when you're big three are on the mound, adding Wazarro to that list. So they go into they go into Iowa and Aaron Nola, who is everybody's favorite teammate, one of the most respected men in that clubhouse. It's hadding up and down season really for a couple of years. Lately he's really got it together. He goes out there and pitches great. Schwarber hits two home runs. I think everybody takes a cleansing breath. So though it was a demanding travel day where they, like I said, parachuted in and then finished the day by getting on a bus at an airplane going to Minneapolis. Though it was a really argorous day, I think it got them on a bit of a right path because they had that next day was an off day, kind of a reset day, and they went into Minnesota to finish the two game series and won those two games to complete a sweep. And now they're back home with a chance here on Wednesday night to sweep a very pesky Miami Marlins team. Boy, those guys put the bat on the ball. They never quit, they always keep coming. And if you can sweep this Marlins team, I think it's a real confidence booster and a good feat for the Phillies team. As Saint Louis comes in, two teams you know, Saint Louis and Miami looking up at you in the wildcard, right, it's a chance to deal both of those teams a blow. So it's a pivotal part of the schedule here and they've done a pretty good job with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those two teams you're mentioning are not fun to play.
Speaker 1: Those are not the easy dubs at this point in the season. Jim, good stuff man. Good to see you and love listening to you as always on The Philly Show part of the FT Network. Please everyone take a little time to subscribe to it. Todd Jim Ruben running point QR code. If you're too lazy to just type it in on YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts Jim, thank you, good talking to you.