Speaker 1: Oh my god, Hello, did you miss us?
Speaker 2: I know I did, Jordan, and I hope.
Speaker 1: That you guys had a beautiful summer break. This is adulting and I'm Michelle Mite.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jordan Carlos, and we are back to help you through all things adulting.
Speaker 1: And guess what, everybody, we are a weekly show now, okay, so you can get us in your ears every single week. Just stuff us in your little holes.
Speaker 3: Huge news you'll never get second us.
Speaker 1: Jordan, I just realized two days after pouring rain that my basement got flooded, two.
Speaker 2: Days after you realize after down there, look at that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't go to the basement. I'd be watching them movies. I don't fuck with the basement. I even still run up really fast, like someone's chasing my feet. Yes. My husband's like, we should turn the attic into like a sitting room. I'm like, where's the killer gonna live? You don't because I'm sure somebody's living in the and I don't give a shit as long as they pick up after themselves.
Speaker 3: But like, hold on, so wait, what was flooded? How deep? Where was it at? What's the problem? Do you need a French pup?
Speaker 1: These are all follow up questions that I should go to Anglie's list and figure out. Honey, come on, I got big titties and freckles. You think I know about flooding? No? No, oh my goodness. First of all, hello, everybody, welcome to adulting. I mean, you know what it is. At this point, I'm gonna shall you tell us Jordan Carlos. Look, this is not a humble brag. I worked really hard. I'm a homeowner. It is a full time job. All the carpets were wet and everything was soaked, and I'm like, oh boy, there was a big flood and now I have to get rid of it because I don't suck around the mold, yeah, or anything wet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the silent killer. You don't want that. It's not cute.
Speaker 1: It's not cute. And you know who's cute?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 2: Sorry, very cute.
Speaker 1: Why are you saying it like that?
Speaker 2: Because I've got.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to eat a salad and talk to you at the same time, and it's yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Trying to eat a salad and like have me do all the talking, which is fine by me. This is just like hanging out with.
Speaker 3: It there's lots of people out here that love salad amsr oh god, I'm about to put some ranch on this.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's all the internet is right now. I feel like my kid's growing up watching the internet. They're just gonna think that cooking is just whispering and cutting onions and putting them in a plate and then what I do is get my Chipotle?
Speaker 2: Are there any more steps other than that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're reading a recipe your hands are dirty. You're like, wait, what does it say half of what? Oh shit? Do we have vanilla?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, your cussin half the time? Yeah, tea spoon versus tablespoon. Yeah, bacon soda versus bacon powder, baking soda too much. Let's get back on track.
Speaker 1: Can I just say you're the one taking this off track? Because what out was trying to say is, yes, be careful what you wish for truly.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because we have to take care of our homes and our cars more than we take care of our bodies. At this point, it feels like it requires more work. It feels like there's always something we got to do. The only thing you want to do is just sit down and enjoy your home and then here come a flood. Al Roca, why can you tell me, al Roca.
Speaker 3: It's a good problem to have. But yes, there's always something happening with the house, always something. Yes, we have a flood zone in our house. And what happens is this one little spot like a drain gets clogged like leaves and things like that, and then that can raise up, especially in a flash flood, and then come into our home. And that's not cool. So I have to go out in the middle of a storm and like take the trap off, and.
Speaker 2: Then it just like sucks all the water down, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what in the All black reboot of Tornado is going on? I mean, it is giving, Hateful eight, it is giving.
Speaker 3: But basement apartments in New York City's real people are like, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Can fuck with this is somebodice baseball apartment. And then your.
Speaker 1: Shits so many things happen. Yeah, your shit's fucked because a lot of this stuff in New York is uneven and so do you know what I mean? And so that water is gonna find its way. Ooh baby, it's a whole lot.
Speaker 2: But we both have one hundred year old houses, right, you got a hundred year old house. Got a hundred ye old house?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, everybody, I got a hundred year old house.
Speaker 2: It's held up by hope streams and aarp.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have leaks too, It's yeah. I mean I love it. I love having the roof over my head. But the upkeep is real. Yep, keep it so real. Maybe I need to go retire and go to Boca someplace like that.
Speaker 1: Please don't because the podcast would not be happening if you no shape to Boco. But also shape. Yeah, it's interesting because these houses are beautiful because they're essentially like landmarks, you know what I mean? Yes, yes, but it's like, what are you gonna do? Get something new because I don't even feel like the shit's being built well the infrastructure in America. Let me just not get on some word. We can retual metal bullshit right now. But we just need to have better standards, is all. We just need better standards. You remember that building that collapsed in Florida, Bridges collapsed a ship, Come on now, don't do that to us.
Speaker 3: Was a parking garage collapse here in New York City killed a guy parking garage bam. You know how much you got to pay the park had to pay for that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's crazy, that's crazy. One of the first time I took my minivan. Yes, motherfuckers, I got a mini van. You heard that right, Sure she does, but it's kidded out. There's lights in the bottom. Risbe spin it. The first time I took my vidiman into a parking structure in New York City, I was driving out. It was giving John Wick. I was just like, I was justa it almost driving.
Speaker 2: Guys were taming me.
Speaker 1: I was was purposely driving the side of my minivan into the walls, into the It was.
Speaker 2: Like, I cat no, I didn't know how to get out of it.
Speaker 1: I was like, you do, I soup like. It was like fight or flight. So I just kept going and fucking it up even more.
Speaker 2: And these guys were running behind me.
Speaker 3: Miss no, miss I'm like, I got it.
Speaker 1: It was given gone in sixty seconds, but it took like a minute thirty. It was fast and furious, but slowly painful.
Speaker 3: No listen driving a mini van in those narrow parking lots.
Speaker 1: When I got home, yes, he is like, what happened? What happened? And I was like, Frank Red tomatoes. Okay, you have to get a bumped out? What does that mean? Why are you saying things like I'm your bro that goes to Jeffy Loop with you with the coupon for fun? What do you even mean?
Speaker 2: Bumping out means you took the dents off the side.
Speaker 1: Bumping out mean something different than me, bitch.
Speaker 3: You buff out or bump out a dent and then out of your car.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of that. There was a lot of that. Yeah, I feel you.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's like trying to get like an overgrown watermelon, right, like that's driving a caravan.
Speaker 2: It's like it's just like you can't. You can't round those quarters down there.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was giving, like, oh my god, it was giving dumb and dumber, like you have biggest vehicle they have. That was like a dog. That's what driving a minivan in New York City is like, Dan, here's the minivan shame. Some parking lots don't even take minivans. What they don't take them? And the ones that do charge you extra. I said, it's the same spot. What's the extra for?
Speaker 3: Save your life though, you know, save your life or so what I'm saying, Wow, I didn't know there was that much drama surrounding a minivan. I just thought there was like screens in the consoles and everybody was happy. Turns out, turns out not the case. Not the motherfucking case.
Speaker 2: How fast can you get in that thing?
Speaker 1: How fast can I get in it? Or get up? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: How fast does it go?
Speaker 1: Does it go?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really?
Speaker 1: Stop? Why are you talking to me like I'm Danica patrick By.
Speaker 2: Off the line?
Speaker 1: It goes fast enough to go to daycare and get me home for my meetings. Okay, I don't know. I don't know what the guideiap is. Okay, but anyway, you know what, just shout out to everybody. If you're driving the car that isn't your dream car, guess what the dream is just to have a vehicle, So you are doing it absolutely And if you can't come out the parking lot without hitting your car, I'm I'm fine with Look, I'll applaud to you guys. You tried your best and I'm here for that. That's all the end.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, okay, But what was driving like in the seventies and eighties in New York? The big ass boats just like swerving this way, and I can't imagine. I cannot even imagine.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine either. But you know what I can't imagine a beautiful conversation with our guest for this episode. It's so exciting, bitch. You know, I'm gonna give you a segue. Aw you, guys, we have we have a very special guest. He's near and dear to us. He has been with the show since the beginning twenty seventeen. He is our DJ Don Will, and he's here with us today to sit down and wrap about it. I can't wait to talk to him. This is gonna be very exciting. Hold on to your airhorns, bitches. It's done Will.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, isn't done Will. They said it would never happen.
Speaker 3: They said it would never happen, but we defied the Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited, so excited because, like, you know, you answer questions that the audience ask, and that's cool. But now we can actually sit down and wrap with you and figure out what's going on in your life. And I feel like every time we have like a little keykey, I'm like, we gotta talk about that on the show. So let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on winning a Webby Award.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, thank you, And I'm in therapy right now. How to accept compliments so I appreciate it from both of you guys.
Speaker 1: That was one of my New Year's resolutions. Just say thank you when someone's like said something nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I backslided a little bit, like every now and then I'll get when I'm like really familiar and comfortable with people, I'll get into that, like, but well, it's not that big of it, and then I'm like, my homegirl the other night was like, no, it's a fucking big deal, man, Just accept the thanks and the compliments.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, I'm gracious.
Speaker 1: I love it. What was the Webby Award for?
Speaker 3: I won the Webby Award for Best General Music Podcast. Wow damn yeah, so it was the other contestants in the category. Other nominees rather were John Legends, Amazon Podcast and Ironic Twist. Me and John Legend both went. But I'll get to that in a minute. There was another one called She Rose Mixtape, which was another so No's based show. It's a really great program that like, honestly, if I wouldn't have won, I would have wanted them to win.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, look at you on Don.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, and putting my show together. Like I looked at a couple of shows. It's kind of like reference points and like things to model it after. And that was absolutely one of the ones that I, like, I looked at and I kind of studied in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I got to give them their credit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So the way that the awards set up, you have the Webby Award, and then you have the People's Choice Award. The People's Choice gets the most votes, and the Webby Award is selected by the judges. John Legend got the most votes because he's fucking John Legend, you know what I'm saying, of course, but I got selected by the judges.
Speaker 2: That's the subthing.
Speaker 3: Yes, listen, John Legend might have won the popular vote, but.
Speaker 2: You got the electoral college. Ah, that's right.
Speaker 1: When I found out you one, I texted Don, I was like, you know, we're just like built to be like winning doesn't matter, cause we're gonna do what we do. And like, when you do something you love, you have to definitely sit and accept a certain not a certain amount, but a good dollar of rejection, right, Yeah, like more rejection in the entertainment industry than you, I think anywhere else, because anywhere else, if you keep applying, like I feel like you eventually get it, you know what I mean. It's very cut and dry, right, but like this is like you could still be better than the next person, but they just have like a certain end with someone else. Right, So it's like crazy the amount of rejection you just have to sit in, right, And when you finally win something, you're like, oh, what that on? It feels like it kind of feels good.
Speaker 2: I want to win more.
Speaker 3: I woke up to it. I looked at my phone first thing, and I just put the fund down like that. I didn't see that, and I went back to sleep straight up. And then I woke up again and looked at my email and I read it and I just didn't understand the words like that you won. Yeah, it just it didn't register. I've been having this conversation a lot lately. But like the thing about failure as an artist is that a lot of times success is just continuing to do the thing despite failure. So you might keep failing, but that's literally success because you haven't stopped. You know what I'm saying, That's kind of been my engine for a lot of years. Is that not to be cliche, but I think about you, I don't know how many times, like if you fall seven times, you get up eight or whatever, Like it's literally just that on the flip to invertit even further. Sometimes success is the failure because that can be like the moment where you're just like, what do I do now? So you got to kind of figure things out in a different way.
Speaker 1: There's that thing where it's just like how the fuck am I gonna taught myself? When my special came out? Your first hour as a comedian, you're just like, I guess it's over.
Speaker 2: No more material, Like I.
Speaker 1: Fucking did it, you know what I mean? I'm low key impressed by slash annoyed with comedians who like produce a new hour every year, and I'm like, you haven't been through enough shit to fucking talk about it for an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask about that, like how how coming up with the hour and then burning through it like you're just kind of like you sit after a while, it's like what do I do now? Yeah? Kind of yeah, well, those people that come up with a new hour every year have what's known as writers, and that's how they do it.
Speaker 1: Man. And you can tell and you can tell.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: Also, one thing I didn't realize about Don, which I really appreciate, is that he does not mind leaving a party early. Listen, you know what I mean, because you've been to my parties and I feel like you leave at a decent time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like two or three waves of leaving. There's the first wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, which are usually like the early people, right, yeah, them friends that come like they're the first ones that come, and then the last ones to leave. You're just like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: The people that come first in our last leave are generally people who have a set of keys to your house.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like that's that set of.
Speaker 1: Friends, oh my god, who are single.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Other than that, if they come first and leave last, it's just like, so what's going on home at home that you're running from?
Speaker 2: Like what's really?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: In general, I'm a very punctual person. It's true.
Speaker 1: That's why we fuck with you these com shows. How it's starting on time from what it says on the ticket. To me, it's like five ten minutes after the time starts, everyone getting you sees, what are your drinks, Let's go. There's nothing better than being on time and then just hanging out afterwards. Yum.
Speaker 3: I would say it's as much based in anxiety as his professionalism. You know, when you fresh out of college interviewing for jobs, they always tell you to be there fifteen minutes early. If I had a job interview on Tuesday, I would drive to the place on Monday to figure out the route, like I was literally that person. Wow, I've always been that person. So now that it's like, you know, my own schedule showing up for like adulting or showing up to city winery or something in general, that anxiety has never left, and that level of professionalism has never left.
Speaker 2: It's just all baked in. So now it's like.
Speaker 3: Instead of like cutting it coast to get there with just fifteen minutes, I might come.
Speaker 2: An hour early and then go to a coffee shop.
Speaker 3: Yes, if I am running a little behind, I'm like right there.
Speaker 1: I had an acting teacher once tell me, if you show up early, you show up on time. If you show up on time, you're late. If you're late, you're fucked, and there's nothing better for me than showing up on time. And I get like anxiety as well. But like, do y'all remember showing up to work hungover?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, sure absolutely.
Speaker 3: There used to be these really great uh I don't think they make them anymore, but for a moment, because when people used to smoke in bars, right, they had these awesome little things that you could throw in your dryer. You put your close in the dryer. It was like a dryer sheet and it would just take the smell of smoke.
Speaker 2: Off of your clothes.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 2: It was a modern fix for modern times, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I was like, of course hungover, yes, and all the things that you needed right, needed oil, right, you needed you need.
Speaker 2: To get it.
Speaker 3: Greasy, needed something greasy eat the sop up that ship, yes.
Speaker 2: You know. And then you of course needed water.
Speaker 3: You need a gatorade pedia lighte people are always like p light knocks that ship right out.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course hungover. Some of my best work.
Speaker 3: One of my jobs was always I was a substitute teacher. I was like, I was just like teaching in the school God in New York City, No. This was in Cincinnati and Ohio, and I talked in Maryland too.
Speaker 2: In Merland. Yeah, in Maryland.
Speaker 3: Like you know, most times when you come in hung over with the teacher, you're the substitute too. You just wheel the TV and like we're watching Jurassic Park, and I said, yo, oh my god. Like I wouldn't do it a lot, because the thing is, teachers leave lesson plans and you have to, like, if you don't get through the lesson plans for them, it messes them up. So you kind of have to adhere to that. But I remember one time I had a class of like I want to say it was second graders. Sure, they don't have the ability to just busy themselves. You kind of got to guide them and steer them more. I was so hungover. I was so hungover. I tried the TV trick. It didn't work because the kids just kept coming up to the desk and I was I remember looking at one little kids like I was kind of sitting at the desk and I was thinking, like, please don't vomit on this child, Please don't vomb.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: It was that that mid twenties. We were out drinking Yager bombs until four in the morning. I didn't go to sleep kind of hangover.
Speaker 1: I never could do a Yager bomb that. I was like, am I an old German man hunting in the middle of winter? Why am I? It's so medicinal. I'm just like, are we trying to get rid of the virus? It just it just tastes like a potion.
Speaker 3: Here's the question about shot. Are there any delicious shots? Are there any good shots yet?
Speaker 2: Like tasty?
Speaker 1: You know what, A lemon drop ain't bad.
Speaker 2: Lemon drop ain't bad.
Speaker 1: It definitely is giving type two diabetes. It's very sweet.
Speaker 2: Sex on the beach, right, people seem to like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I never do them. I'm more like a mess call or tequila guy. Then you gotta make the face. It's fun to make the face.
Speaker 1: What's the face?
Speaker 3: Like that hurts you? I mean, you can't do that face after a sex on the beach.
Speaker 1: I can't do shots anymore. It's not cute. Have you been to like a senior of frogs in Cancu, Mexico. The minute you walk through the door, somebody's just like putting a tube of like Vodkagello down your throat. You're like, nobody asked for it, but thank you.
Speaker 3: I feel like getting drunk as a forty year old adult, it like as an adult in your forties is a different thing. Like I'll have two glasses of rose, shout out to Michelle. I was not a rose person before the house party, but I'll have two glasses of wine or rose are just a beer, and literally the next day I won't be wrecked, but I'll be noticeably sluggish.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we're so old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what that means, guys, what you got to move on to other stuff.
Speaker 2: Like I was in Canada. I did shrooms. Oh my god. I felt like a little gnome.
Speaker 3: I was going crazy on shrooms and you know what, there's no hangover.
Speaker 2: It felt great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw some old relatives and everything like that. It was fantastic. You know, you saw them in person, or the shrooms that came to you as hallucinations from the as you know, as like you know, yes, as hallucinations.
Speaker 2: But it was all good, you know, it was all good. I was like in nature. It was great.
Speaker 3: You feel the oneness of everything, and you know what, when it's done, is done, and it's not like there's no hangover, which I really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like a residual hangover. I don't like that at all. Like go away, yeah, work yourself out of my system. You know, I was thinking, I think why we work as a trio is because we're pretty much on this page right, Like if we have a problem or an issue, we could talk about it and move on from it, which is very nice. Yeah, and also like, I don't think i've seen y'all sloppy at all.
Speaker 2: Yes, we also usually do the same.
Speaker 3: Drugs, so that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know Michelle really wants to see me sloppy.
Speaker 1: I don't. I thought I did. I thought I did. Now I don't, because seeing someone sloppy in your forties now in your fifties just hits different way different. It just hits in like a sad way where I'm just like it is Telerpara gonna write a movie about this, you know what I mean. It's just like my hug can't save you type shit. Yeah, you know, like even in your late thirties early forties, it's just like, uh, oh, I'm so busy working my job. I forgot to have lunch and I'm getting tipsy. But like when people are just like slumped over, like mean and shit and don't remember where they live and shit. It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember the last time I was even sloppy in general, and it had to be like a decade ago.
Speaker 2: I guess it.
Speaker 3: Definitely wasn't anytime in recent memory, you know what I'm saying. And I think that too much for me to drink. I'm always hyper aware of my surroundings and myself. Somebody was talking about doing MDMA or some shit and like how it opens you up and frees you, it makes you feel a little bit loose. I'm scared of that because I think I'll get sloppy and too loose. So I'm like, I don't want to do any drugs that'll make me loose.
Speaker 2: You won't.
Speaker 1: You know why, because my manager came to Amsterdam like years ago, years ago. She's very reserved, and I'm like, we're doing this and we did it, and you don't me. Everything's heightened. So I'm just like, I love you, I love you. You're gonna make it. We're gonna be great, right, just loving on everybody, And she literally turns to me and she goes you look pretty today.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, oh wow, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just the elevation for certain people.
Speaker 2: Just it's right. So I've been micro dos and shrooms for a couple months now.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't do them every day. I do them like every three days.
Speaker 1: Yum.
Speaker 3: Jordan knows the way, and honestly, like every time I do it. China, my partner, She'll like, I don't tell her what I'm doing. I'll just like do it, and then I'll just be like, hey, you know sometimes I like look around the apartment and the plants are just like radiant. She's just like he's on mushrooms. And then we get into like these wonderful conversations about life and love and work and stuff.
Speaker 2: And then the next day I wake up and I'm just like, ah, eat my coffee. I can't talk to you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I know now that, like I've tried everything. I've tried coffee and jitters and anxiety, and that's not a great way to get through life.
Speaker 2: So like microdosing, I'm all for.
Speaker 3: Especially you take that Eddie when you need to put the kids to bed, Eddie before Betty yeah, Eddie before Betty Steady. That is so helpful because my son will be like.
Speaker 2: Can I read a Noble book please? Like sure, what's doctor sus Scott Force? Now?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I turn into like a negotiator, and not like a cute one, like a Sam Jackson negotiator. I'm like, like, it's like I am not myself when my kids have had a snickers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your kids are so well behaved though, they're so great. They were over at my office time and that sounds crazy, but they were.
Speaker 1: They had a pitch.
Speaker 2: It was a hot pitch.
Speaker 3: They're an official kid business with the little kiddie briefcases.
Speaker 2: Yes, Otis had a folio.
Speaker 3: Otis would have a folio that makes it cars for kids, Yeah, the one and hit cards for kids. Pitch was pretty good until I realized I'd be giving my car so.
Speaker 2: But no, they were so cute running around.
Speaker 3: I mean they're like really mild manner, like hat soft to you, Michelle, and I think you're doing it right.
Speaker 2: I think you're doing it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I'm trying. It'll change they get older. Things happened, but while I'm still here, we got manners.
Speaker 2: In this economy with them, curl.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be polite. We gotta say please and thank you and give turns.
Speaker 3: And truly, your daughter's older, right, yeah, she's thirteen.
Speaker 2: What did she think of you getting the webby?
Speaker 3: She is very internal. She won't outward and be like, oh my god, dad, I'm so proud. She'll like make a weird joke. Oh, like she'll like, I can't wait to come up to New York and hang out with you and steal your webby from you, or something like that. You know what I'm saying. I guess it's never She's not like an outwardly emotional person, which I.
Speaker 2: Just wanted some time to like, I just want to hug and be your dad. I love you so much. She's just kind of like dad, No, oh no, dad, Yeah.
Speaker 1: My daughter's like that at four. Want to give her like a lot of hugs, and she's like, I will see from what.
Speaker 2: I can what I can gage. She's like a very sensitive person.
Speaker 3: So like for her, any sort of that armor is like a big open emotional thing. I think that especially as they get older and as the world kind of starts to corrode it.
Speaker 2: Whatever that thing is you try to instill at them.
Speaker 3: All you can do is like set them up for success in that way where you like arm them with what you just said, Like you know, we're gonna say please, we're gonna be patient with our turn.
Speaker 2: We're gonna not.
Speaker 3: Not like you know what I'm saying, not be offensive unless somebody puts you in that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's absolutely just dealing with the world in ways that we can't save them from. They have to like have their interactions and come home with it and then just kind of figure out how to parse it.
Speaker 2: But yes, the thing that's dope is that we still talk.
Speaker 3: She communicates with me about like school, and about her friends, and about things that she may or may not like.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's the gym.
Speaker 3: Like she might not share with me what her favorite musical act is, or she might be like, I don't want to show you my drawings anymore, Dad, but she will absolutely tell me if something's going bad at school, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like it's a bigger deal. Well, she's got her own private life, but she lets you in for her personal life. Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Oh that's so great. I give her a space to have her own private life as well, Like you know what I'm saying, I'm definitely I mean, I'm going to creep my head in and see it, like what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But for the most part, like I remember, I always think about myself at thirteen and myself as like a preteen or a teen was like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Who were you?
Speaker 3: I was popular, a little popularteen thirteen, No, middle school, Donald was awkward. I had just came from an all white Catholic school, oh no, and been put into an all black public school. So there was this level of culture shock and trying to figure out how to relate to how to relate to black people and myself, And the way that I found to do it was through fashion and music, mostly music, but fashion was like, you know, in the black community, you got some cool shoes.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh I see you, I see you out there.
Speaker 3: What are those Jordan's So like That's why shoes are such a big deal to me, because they was like they were the first way I could communicate and then say you guys like, oh man, I like your shoes. I'm like, have you heard the new Trip called Quest album? Like yeah, I'm like Okay, we're friends now. So it was kind of like finding ways to communicate with people non verbally because I wasn't shy.
Speaker 2: I was just guarded, you know.
Speaker 3: I found that people when I would show them my collection of spores and moles, they didn't have the same respect. Okay, your bio tells me that you went then in college from you Cincinnati, great school, great program, all the way to North Carolina A and T great school, great program.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 3: What was that like, because I know you Cincinnati, Yeah, that's a white school. Yeah, and then you went to an HPCU. That was culture shock in a different way. At that point, I was very much immersed in like culture, and I was around my people, was feeling good.
Speaker 2: It was lovely, but.
Speaker 3: It was also like this, yeah, like I would come in the walls of school and it's black and it's majority black high school, and like know with children.
Speaker 2: Now we go outside and it's just white white and it's white, white white.
Speaker 3: Then I went to North Carolina and tea and it was literally like I remember after a week or two there being like I haven't seen a white person.
Speaker 2: How are they? How are the whites doing you?
Speaker 1: Guys? I don't even understand it was.
Speaker 2: It was. I would say I was one of the most formative experiences in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, hands down, one of the things that you know, I'm one of those people that like, I'm like, college is an expense. Is an expense. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. If my daughter doesn't want to go to college, it's a conversation. I'm not tripping, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm right there with you. Because college was not for me. I didn't even realize that I was dyslexic or you know, that I had like an attention deficit, Like there were so many things that could have been done differently. But thank God for the arts because I really do feel like it saved me. But again, I was too shy to even take an acting class in college, so I was just like, you know, kind of like this late bloomer, but my body had already bloomed. So I'm just like, what what is this I.
Speaker 2: Was supposed to do?
Speaker 3: It's absolutely not for everybody, and the people that it's not for who end up there anyway, Like, there were so many people in our generation that were promised jobs and all these things upon having a degree and you leave college and you're like trying to get a job at a watch kiosk in the mall or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a bachelor's.
Speaker 1: Degree, No shame.
Speaker 2: Oh tiktoks, no shame for a good spot. Rvis Yea.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this though, So, like, I just was wondering at what point music came in.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're a prolific musician.
Speaker 3: I even heard your music on a podcast called slow Burn about Biggie and Tupac, and I was like, yo, don is everywhere.
Speaker 2: So I just need to know that inflection point. What was that for you? That was college?
Speaker 3: That was one of the reasons why college is one of the most formative experiences in my life is because it was where I found other people who were as into the things that I was into, and.
Speaker 2: We were was that that Petri Dish.
Speaker 3: We were all confined to this space and we were like, we didn't have anything but each other, so we just start to make a music and hanging out. That was one hundred percent where I'd kind of made that decision to go into the arts and go into music.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So sports and Molts, Sports and Molts and Petridish yeah, absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, this is very exciting because usually when Down's up the show, he is the DJ, he's doing air horns, he's also jumping in doing questions. But now we have you all to ourselves and we can ask you questions that the audience has sent in for us. So here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, hot seat, trying to turn up.
Speaker 1: I'm single in my late forties, and I'm ready for my first threesome. That took a turn, but it always do. But how do you have any tips?
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, first threesome.
Speaker 3: I have some tips, but no, go on, I mean, okay, I never so this will be interesting. I would say I've had a couple of failed threesomes. Oh that's a whole other thing. But I would say the first rule of having a threesome from a person that's had a failed threesome is be sober. If there is drug and alcohol involved, like one or two drinks, nothing sloppy. You don't want to be sloppy. Oh yeah, and the other one is, obviously, you know, consent. I don't think that needed to be said, but yeah, absolutely should be. Yeah, I'm sorry. The question was how to find the threesome.
Speaker 1: No, it was like I'm ready for it, but I guess I guess it is like how.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's there's an app for it. Feel get on feel.
Speaker 1: Usually I'm just like, don't prepare, just be out there and like be open. But I think for a threesome you should definitely prepare.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I don't think it should be anyone that you know. I know that sounds good, but don't get involved with anyone, you know. I think when you do meet the person, they're people. Yes, when you do meet the people, like definitely talk about what you like and don't like, like definitely a safety word and shit right. I also think like be prepared to like, like one person more.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're gonna get more ice cream.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Jordan, Jesus.
Speaker 2: There's a delegation of work that happens.
Speaker 1: He's so oh he's such a creepy dad.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine somebody saying that in the middle of a threesome, I'm gonna give you more ice cream?
Speaker 2: Ugh?
Speaker 1: No, in group sex and ice cream, copper coats, sprinkles. Ultimately, whoever wrote this question, I just want to let you know, good for you for exploring your sexuality. In your forties. I think, like, I don't know, I'm assuming that you've been having sex for a while, but it's sort of like going to college in your forties compared to your twenties, Like you're just like more mature. You can handle things better and you can have more fun. So definitely make it about you. If you're co producing this threesome, you'd be the Beyonce at this Coachella.
Speaker 3: Okay, bitch, co producing the threesome is a wild sentence and I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next question, I have gained a lot of weight with age and can't find the time to exercise. Do you have any hacks or tips for a working mom who's ready for a healthier lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I would say, cut sugar oo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like everywhere, in as.
Speaker 3: Many places as you can cut it or monitor it very closely. When you take sugar out of your diet everywhere, Yeah, the pounds start to melt. You know what I'm saying. Sugar and portion controler the two things, at least in my opinion, John, we have lost the audience. Okay, you can switch to certain things, right, like the darker chocolate. Yeah, that seems to be really good, right, yeah, the deep cacao cow. It's hard to find the time.
Speaker 1: But like for me, I do like a little zoom like a little half hour zoom workout, and then like I'll do like one in person workout where like I wear my new exercise outfit. Do you know what I mean? I always say buying like a new thing to go do a thing that you dread put some pep in your step.
Speaker 2: True, that's very true.
Speaker 1: It just gets harder the older you get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could like fold in and like make an activity that you already do a little bit more athletic. Yes, if you have to drop your kids off somewhere, just take an extra lap around the building before you get back in your car.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Ooh, the YMCA has killer zoomba classes. You can put on your knee on shorts, get a little wedgie with everybody, get sweaty, come.
Speaker 2: On and get some sleep.
Speaker 3: Yes, they say, like, actually eight hours of sleep is really important to losing weight because the body holds onto our fat cells longer, because our body is like we're like, hey man, we think we're stressed if we stay up late. So the body holds onto fat longer. So they're like, oh, you need this because you're in danger. So if you go to bed and get rid of them.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: I am convinced that's why I gained so much weight performing at colleges because I always had the first flight out, so like never slept. You can't sleep with a five am flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 1: It's more like five am.
Speaker 2: Fright, Okay, next kiss Jael.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my best friend finally moved into her own apartment post breakup, but she lost all her plants in the move. So as a housewarming gift, I want to help her out, but I have zero plant skills knowledge. Do you have any suggestions on what house plants to get her?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I have tons of suggestions.
Speaker 1: Actually, oh yeah, okay, you go.
Speaker 3: So it depends on how well how much light the apartment gets, how much light the space gets. But a good all around plant is a pathos. You've seen pathos everywhere. They're the plants that are just kind of like the standard leafy vine pass. Good snake plant is good snakes are the ones that grow up.
Speaker 1: Like oh, they're called mother in law tongues too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mother in law tongue triggering that those are good for low light, and they also grow kind of slow and they're kind of durable. And it's one more.
Speaker 2: Succulens are good. Yeah, Suclelents are good.
Speaker 3: Succulents are hard for people to believe it or not because people oh water them because they don't need a lot of water and they need fast draining soil.
Speaker 1: Whatever you do, don't give your friend an orchid, because that's just fucked up. That's like giving me like a jigsaw puzzle. How fucking dare you?
Speaker 3: What's funny is as I'm answering this question, there's a very dead plant right behind me. Take this man's advice. Now, I've always thought of myself as an emotional succulent. I don't eat much spread my god.
Speaker 2: Can we start a band called the Emotional Succulents? Jordan? I think so.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm gonna open for you, and I'm gonna be called emotional osteoporosis. Tell everybody all my feelings about everything, all the time. This is the next question. Is it okay to smoke weed at the if there's a kid's party set up nearby?
Speaker 2: I mean, how old's the kid?
Speaker 1: If you in Brooklyn, It's like you don't have a choice.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of smells in the city, you know what I'm saying, a lot of smells. Yeah, it's like that exercise. It's like, close your eyes, what smells you here? Just or smell five smells if it's a big butt Buddha and it is what it is. But yeah, I feel like it's a public park. If you can smoke, you can smoke. I mean, you're not smoking cigarettes, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And another thing too, is that you could probably walk a couple feet further away to just get down wind.
Speaker 2: Just be mindful, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm don't make these kids think there's an actual skunk in the park.
Speaker 3: And what.
Speaker 2: About a vape? Right something like that?
Speaker 1: Vapes are just kind of creepy to me at this point. I'm just like, boy, if you don't just get a joint, because it looks like you're trying to get in touch with a matrix, I'm like, okay, okay, this is our last question, and it's a good question. I've had this urge to cheat on my partner. No, boy, I would never do it. Never in all caps, bitch, But no matter how much I tell myself, it would hurt us both the urge still lingers to him. How do I make it go away? Do I need to make it go away? I'm very confused. Please help, bitch. This is confusing.
Speaker 3: I think I think don you should answer if you want to. I was like, you go first, I'll say this and this this might be a dark.
Speaker 2: Urn, but I don't know it. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: There are so many people that are like, I have the urge to kill myself, but I'm not gonna do it. But I think about it all the time. Yeah, the urge doesn't really go anywhere. It's just like when you're meditating, and if you get into meditation, they teach you that thoughts aren't permanent. They pass through, like they can linger, they can visit, but they pass through. So the urge to cheat is as natural as the urge to watch porn, or the urge to like compliment, like you know what I'm saying, Like, if you have a partner and you can tell a partner, man, I was a really that chick was really hotter like, or your part of gonna tell you like that person's really hot. That's a healthy relationship. When you have to take those urges and hide them. That's when it becomes unhealthy. Yeah, the urge to cheat probably won't leave you, just don't act on the urge to cheat unless you're ready to take all the things that comes with cheating on a partner, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I think also, I think this is like a big couple's therapy thing, Like you should have a couple therapists and then also do a one on one with your couples therapists and tell them because you have to tell somebody and work it out, because maybe you want to talk to your partner in front of your therapist, and maybe both you guys want to cheat, and maybe you should just figure out an open relationship. Perhaps how do you know it's just you?
Speaker 2: Then you should find the person that wants to have a threesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see what you.
Speaker 3: But no, like you blew my mind a little bit when you said talk to your couples therapists about cheating in front of your partner.
Speaker 2: I've never thought about that's what happens a couple's therapy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I feel from this question that this person is it sounds like they feel ignored.
Speaker 2: And maybe that their partner doesn't see.
Speaker 3: Them, so if you do something unforgivable that they have to see, then they'll have to deal with you. So again, I agree, therapy is the way, but it's like, what's behind that?
Speaker 2: You know, why do you want to cheat?
Speaker 3: Because you are lacking in communication here, right, And the fear of being rejected is like all the more why you're hitting the pause button on this.
Speaker 1: The fear of being rejected from your partner or.
Speaker 3: The person that you want to cheat on with rejected from your partner by telling them how you feel, you fear that rejection from them, you know. And it's like if I told them, oh my god, all these things would change.
Speaker 1: But Jordan, that is something that you can't come back from. That's yeah, that's why I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, if you told them that sometimes you have feelings that you want to be with other people, Yeah, I don't know about that because you haven't acted on them. It's kind of natural to want to be with other people. I mean, so much is thrown in your face and you're told that this is the only person you're ever going to be with, you know, Yeah, I mean it's natural in life.
Speaker 2: People make lists things like that.
Speaker 1: But I think it's something that you can't come back from depending on whatever this relationship is, right, because when you put that out there, it's almost like you're planning the seed of doubt in your partner, right, because then if your partner is insecure, let's say, let's say not even like fully insecure, but is now it's like, are you looking at that person or and then that's like a whole other world of trouble for this person. So like, I do believe this person is reaching out saying I have an urge to cheat because they can't fully communicate with their partner.
Speaker 2: Sad.
Speaker 1: This doesn't even sound like a couple that can say that's an attractive person, you know, look at that girl's but look at that man's whatever, look at that person's whatever. Like I don't even hear that in this or maybe yes, or maybe they do have a really comfortable relationship and this person's just ready to take it to the next level, because it is quite impossible that we're supposed to be be with the same person for the rest of our lives. You know, marriage really was working out at the turn of the century when people didn't wash their hands and they died when they were twenty two. Want some shit and they lived thirty shit, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like absolutely, marriage is fucking crazy. We had all these vitamins and shit, we could live. We want all these vitamins, Suzanne, some is the shit. You just be alliant.
Speaker 2: They're about to turn us all to AI. We're gonna live forever in a minute. I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: I just think that using terms like cheat and things like that, you know, m it feels as though the person is like punishing themselves and so guilt ridden that Yes, a therapist, some interference and a third party is so needed.
Speaker 2: Anyway. That's just my two cents. I like that.
Speaker 1: Dom. This has been just fucking fantastic.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 1: You know, we asked every one of our guests, what is the most adult thing that you want to do for yourself this year that you haven't had time to do? And you know it could be anything. You know, it could be anything. He's listened to all the answers, so this is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Could be hanglining.
Speaker 3: I've thought long and hard about this question all day because I know I was gonna get asked this question. Oh my god, And okay, and I think the thing that I want to do the most is remodel a kitchen. Yeah yeah, that is literally the most adult thing because it's the room that I spend the most time in, hands down, and if it just had a few minor tweaks, it would make so much more sense for not only me, but the renters who come behind me, because I won't live here for ever. Yes, but that's the adult decision I want to.
Speaker 2: Make for myself.
Speaker 1: I get it. Just be in the moment and do it. That's what I say. Be in the moment and do it because it's going to make you feel happy. And then the next kitchen you're like, oh I did this, Now I'm gonna do this in this other kitchen, and the money will come. Just trust it will. Because you are fun, you are a friendly, you are smart, you are punctual, you are talented. I mean the money will come. Period.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a Father's day because I gave you your flowers.
Speaker 3: Don We love you man, thank you for having me. I love you guys too. This is one of my favorite things to do.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, h don his family.
Speaker 1: I know, no, but really, like I really mean it. I want the best. I want the best for him and his family. He's so talented. What can't he do? A real renaissance man. He wants to up at the kitchen. He knows how to make a plant grow. He can communicate without saying anything through music. He's raising a beautiful young girl. His girlfriend is stop also very talented. China moses. You better follow her on Instagram and get your life man. And you know what's really fun is that we're on the same adulting journey where it feels like we're hitting our stride in the same way.
Speaker 2: Like who were.
Speaker 1: Drinking the same thing?
Speaker 2: That's right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like we need the same tea in the morning.
Speaker 1: No, it was very fun. He just DJ'ed one of my shows the other night and we all went out afterwards, and we all had the same amount to drink, sang the same songs, knew the same words. And this from different places all over the United States in some other countries. And it's just nice to like find your people.
Speaker 3: See Michelle, I thought I was special because I got done to hang out.
Speaker 2: After a show.
Speaker 3: So, uh, you've got to hang out after a show because he usually does like I'm out. I mean, he just like throws down gas balls and he's just like disappears a cloud of faithball.
Speaker 1: See this is what it's like being friends with a middle child. Everybody, instead of Jordan's saying Don loves us so much he hangs out with us, He's like.
Speaker 2: You gotta do it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was my thing that he did. And it's always a competition with him, yes, and not with me.
Speaker 3: I'm only incompetent with my parents had another kid and I wasn't the baby anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yes, that's my everybody has to push.
Speaker 1: Oh my god for our next episode. Everybody, thank you for joining. Take care of yourself and your friends and have siblings that didn't feel seen.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye. This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is g Holley.
Speaker 2: Our associate producer is Alex Cheat.
Speaker 1: This episode was mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 2: Our guest booker is Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 1: Additional production support from Hannah Kyle Crichton.
Speaker 2: Theme song and live show djaning is by Don will.
Speaker 1: Our live show producer is Marian Ways.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Jamie Bechtel.
Speaker 1: Photography by Heis vander Most.
Speaker 3: Executive produced by Karen kilgera Georgia Hardstar and Daniel Kramer.
Speaker 1: Follow the show on Instagram at Adulting the Pod.
Speaker 3: Email your questions to Adulting Questions at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm