Speaker 1: We can talk about Fifth Harmony and so, but I really want to speak to you as a woman. I want to get to know Ali as the woman behind the artist.
Speaker 2: My parents, when they were growing up, they got in trouble for speaking Spanish. Now the world is different, but that's something that I struggled with growing up, feeling like, am I Latina enough? Am I accepted?
Speaker 1: Is there like a chance of a Fifth Harmony reunion?
Speaker 3: Is that true? We'll see Ola get that.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of your favorite podcast, Cheeky's and Chill. I hope you're all having a beautiful day and are thriving. Today we have a very special guest on the podcast. She's a member of one of the best selling girl groups of all time. I'm excited to learn more about the woman behind the artists. So let's get started. This is Cheeky's and Chill here with me right now is the one and only Ali Brooke. You probably know her as a member of the multipe platinum selling girl group Fifth Harmony, but today we're going to learn about her as an individual, and we're gonna find out what she's been up to since the group has taken a break.
Speaker 3: Ali, how are you. I am so excited to have you on the podcast. I know, I see you.
Speaker 1: I've seen you at award shows and we're always like we say hello, You're always so sweet. So it's like, finally I get to talk to her.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, I'm so good. Thanks are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I'm good. I'm having a good day today. Honestly, things have been a little crazy here and there, but like, if I sit down and think about it, I'm like, you know what, I feel good today. So look, I know who you are.
Speaker 1: Obviously we can talk about Fifth Harmony and stuff, but I really want to speak to you as a woman. I want to get to know Ali as the woman behind the artist. And because I've heard a lot of things and I noticed one of the main things was that you are not as active or you have decided to take a break from social media, and I kind of wanted to talk to you about that. I wanted to start with that because that, to me was very interesting because I've done that before, so I want to know what made you make that decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was on social media for so long I kind of just saw a lot that would be triggering to me. Just a lot of different like just comparison and some just like mean things. So I, you know, for my mental health, I just want to take a break and even just just scrolling, you know, like over my life in a way, you know, just like being on it all the times. And I wanted to be more present, mainly because I think just like I was being overwhelmed and it was comparison, Like I feel like that was triggering to me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I totally totally get that. I did that in twenty eighteen for like three months, and I can't even tell you how good I felt. Obviously when I started getting the pressure of like you got to promote this, you gotta do that, but it was so hard to get back into it, but I felt so good. And even now I still take breaks where I'm like, you know what, I'm going to stay off the entire weekend. I just need, like you said, I need to be present because it will. Social media could be a great place, but it can also be very toxic. So I commend you for that things.
Speaker 2: I'm inspin in going back to it, but I feel like now I can do it in a healthier way.
Speaker 1: You know, Yes, so you step back and you were able to see it and say okay, And that's what I did, That's what helped me. I'm like, sometimes I just post and when I find myself I would pick up my phone before and it's like I would go straight to Instagram and I start scrolling. I'm like, I didn't even realize what I was doing. It was like the craziest thing. Where I'm now, I'm like intentional about stop. So we're not going to scroll. I'm going to get out of social media. There's no need for me to just be sitting there because you get lost in it for a little bit. So how long have you have you been doing this?
Speaker 3: Practicing this for about a year now? Oh wow?
Speaker 2: And I have someone who manage my account. I'm the one who like approves captions and I'm the one who writes back to like my fans. But as far as posting, my team will help me post.
Speaker 3: Okay, see that that's awesome. Okay.
Speaker 1: And talking a little bit about like you know, touching on on fifth Harmony and everything, you guys have been on hiatus, like you guys press pause for what?
Speaker 3: How how many years has.
Speaker 2: Been since twenty eighteen?
Speaker 3: Ah, since twenty eighteen? And what have you been doing? What did you do after? Like in these five years.
Speaker 2: So I've been working on my own solo music. I had a record with Taiga, and then I've just been releasing releasing music. But actually the past year I took off in a way for my mental health. And now like literally within the past few weeks, I've been back in the studio. I just released a new single called gone to Bed and I'm back.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I'm so happy to hear that. Yeah, because I did see. I was like, you know what, she's she's doing good, She's doing her thing. Like after it's like, and I know that can be very difficult because you're coming from like a huge girl group that was so successful, But I really admire the fact that you were like I'm not stopping, I'm doing this and I would. I'm like, dang, this is amazing. And I'm glad that you also step back and you took this year off because that also helps. Like that's kind of how I feel right now where I'm like, Okay, I just I need a couple months just to gather my thoughts and get my creativity back, because there's all as a woman and coming from this big group, and for me, it's like coming like as the daughter of it feels like a lot of pressure, a lot of comparison. So I get that, you know, and you need that. So on this year this year off, did you like do therapy? Have you been like just working, you know, doing a lot of inner work.
Speaker 2: I've done a lot of inner work, like you said, a lot of therapy just to help fine tune who I am and to bring forth what I want to bring forth in the world of myself.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And if you don't mind me asking, is there something in particular that caused or triggered that where you're saying, you're like, I need to take this time off.
Speaker 2: There was There was something that I was kind of going through and battling that I haven't been open yet about. I was struggling with something and that kind of led to my break, I guess my breaking point, and I had to just pause things and I had to kind of just reset who I was and really search for what I wanted and kind of find my new power. That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I It's not easy to do, and I think that a lot of people forget that.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: We're human, and we also go through so many things, and we struggle with so many things. I think, whenever you're ready to talk about it, if you're ever gonna be ready to talk about it, and don't ever feel pressured. I feel like, don't ever let anyone pressure you into speaking about it. And I was just asking because I honestly didn't know.
Speaker 3: I was wondering.
Speaker 1: So I totally respect that you don't want to talk about it, but I just I think it's so important that people understand that we're human and that we go through so much as well, and that we're giving so much of ourselves. I know that you're going to be a part or you are a part of a reality show Surreal Life.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? So I just filmed it. I just filmed two weeks and it was amazing. Like it's basically a total of eight celebrities in one compound and they just you see them do activities and you see them bond and I was part of that for two weeks and it was so amazing. It was such a blast. I will just say it's going to be very entertaining.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I cannot wait. And were you a little nervous to start reality, Yes.
Speaker 2: I really wanted to just go and be open to a new experience. That's why I did it. But of course I was like, who's going to be there, We're all gonna get along, like what's going to happen? But I ended up having the time of my life.
Speaker 3: That is so cool. I can't wait to watch it.
Speaker 1: That's I think reality television gives you also the opportunity to meet the person and see them in a different light. You know, it really humanizes you, I feel. So that's I think that's great because now with new music talking about music, like you have a new single coming, you have all this stuff happening with your music, so it just shows a different side of Ali, which is cool and I can't wait to see that.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for you. So talking about music, how old were you when you started singing?
Speaker 2: I was nine?
Speaker 3: Oh wow? Oh? And did you always know you wanted to sing since you were little?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I just loved it, and my parents were so supportive of me and of my dreams, and that's like, that's why I am here is because of them.
Speaker 1: That's freaking awesome. Honestly, shout out to your parents, to those parents that really support their children's dreams and look at you, like how far you've come and you should be proud. And I know they're definitely proud. And I know, like when you start so young, it could be you know, it gets moments where it gets very difficult because that's all you've done and you've known for all of your life. But the good thing is you're very smart. I can tell that you're like, wait, the fact that you said, hey, I need to take some time, because so many people get lost in the limelight that they're like, no, I'm going to push through it, and then they really lose themselves.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome. You've been doing this since you were nine years old, girl, That's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: So tell us about your new music.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, So I'm so excited. It's my first single that I've had in over a year. It's called Gone to Bed and it's basically about you know, you have two lovers and they can't stay away from each other, but you're kind of like, I want to see you, but I don't. I don't know if I should. And then you see that person and you're like oh I should have gone to bed.
Speaker 1: I love that because I've been in that situation where it's like, Oh, I'm so addicted to you, but you're not necessarily good for me.
Speaker 3: You're kind of toxic. Nice. I love it. So you already did the video for it and everything.
Speaker 2: It's a lyrics video, but you can see me in it too.
Speaker 3: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh my gosh, Okay. I gotta definitely check that out. So another thing that I know about you is that you are pretty big on faith, and I feel like that's we have that in common. Is that like a huge pillar in your life. It's like your faith, Yeah.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I mean I believe in Jesus and He's like why I am, where I am, and who I am. He really just saved me and changed my life. And even though sometimes we don't get why things happen, he has a plan that's so much better than ours. So that's that's how I feel.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. So do you go to church and stuff?
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't been in a minute, but I have to find a church. I really want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I before it was I had told myself in the beginning of this year, I was like I'm gonna make sure that I go to church at least once a week, once a month, and I haven't for whatever reason. And I feel like it's good to be in the presence. But that's good. I mean, I also listen to worship music. I'll put it all around my house or like healing music, meditation music.
Speaker 3: It's like I need to make church in my house, you know. So yeah, so talk to us about your EP. What is it called?
Speaker 1: To tell us anything and everything that you can, you know, share with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's called under the Tree, and I'm so excited. It's my holiday EP. And it has three records and then one original record called under the Treaty. So I'm so excited. And I hope people love it. I mean, I just love it. I think it's amazing, and I hope people did too, And especially under the Tree. I hope people like love it and dance to it and like rap like their presence to it.
Speaker 3: I love that, dude. I've always wanted to do.
Speaker 1: I have one holiday song, but I've always wanted to do like, you know, like.
Speaker 3: This is cool. It just it brings so much joy to like your soul and to other people. So that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm excited for you, and I wish you all the best with it. I'm definitely going to listen to it. Everyone, make sure that you check out. Okay, November tenth, under the Tree. Okay, that's her EP because I'm all about like music and sharing that and especially holiday music.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I love it.
Speaker 1: So has it been a little bit now that we're talking about like your EP and stuff like that. Has has it been a little bit difficult? Or was it because it's been I mean, you've done you know, you've had your music out after Harmony. Was that a difficult transition for you? Or is it something that you're like, I know, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 3: I'm ready for it.
Speaker 2: Initially it was hard finding my team, my like record label and all that, but as far as like being an artist, know, it was so freeing. It was so liberating. It was so like easy for me because that's what I wanted to do since I was little. I'm just so like filled with gratitude towards them, and you know, I'm just empowered, like that's what I am now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would think so because you know, without taking away anything from like the success that you guys had together, I feel like that's a lot of different like different personalities to deal with, and this way, I think, like you said, it was liberating. I would imagine that it's like I could do whatever I want.
Speaker 3: I can. This is me. It's all about me.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so that that's good and it's been and you've been doing really well. So I'm happy and I'm excited, like I said, to see what's to come. And I did hear that you also have an unreleased Spanish album.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that isn't the vault. I wanted to release the album, but I don't think the label could. But hopefully someday, you know.
Speaker 3: So you wait, you grew up not speaking Spanish, right.
Speaker 2: So my it's really crazy. So my parents when they were growing up in Texas, they got in trouble for speaking Spanish. They literally would get hit for speaking Spanish in their classrooms. Well, now the world is different and it's good to speak, you know, many languages. But that's something that I struggled with growing up, you know, feeling like am I Latina enough? You know? Am I accepted? I have been really supported by my community, and a lot of people do get why I don't speak Spanish, but you know, there has been judgment, but there's a reason, not just ignorance. It's there's a real reason behind it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely, and that it's happened a lot. For sure.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Honestly, it wasn't cool growing up. It wasn't like, oh, you speak Spanish or you're Latina.
Speaker 3: Like it cool.
Speaker 1: Now it is, and I think it's awesome. But I totally get what you're saying because a lot of people were in a way even a shame for a while, because again, it wasn't cool. It wasn't like something that you should do. It should be English, and you're living in the United States, that's the language, you know, so I get that. But I love the fact that you are willing to sing in Spanish. You have an album in the vault, you know, I can't wait to listen to it. That's awesome. I think that's that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: How many songs, Oh my god, there's so many, but I believe there's about like at least like thirteen like tracks of that.
Speaker 3: Whoa, it's a whole album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I hope I mean, you know, we have to respect the record label and stuff, and the good thing is you have it there.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome. That's interesting to know. That makes me really happy.
Speaker 1: So I heard also me and these damn birdies around here. Okay, is there like a chance of a Fifth Harmony reunion?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that true?
Speaker 2: We'll see. I recently put on a tweet that actually like blew up. It literally got like over a million impressions, which is exciting. I basically said, there's no official reunion, but there are some relationships that are being healed and you know, reuniting, So I guess we'll have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I see like a lot of you know, people coming together, and I think it's necessary. I think also it's good that you guys took some time apart and everything is just everyone healed individually and now hopefully relationships can because you grow up and you mature and you're just like, okay, I made mistakes or I could have done that better or whatever, you know, So that would be awesome though to have, like imagine that a tour.
Speaker 3: RBD did it. You guys could do it. I mean, I don't know, while you're doing your own thing. You know, so I think that's cool.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, well Ali, I am so happy. I thank you so much again for taking the time to be on the podcast and for sharing so much with us. I wanted to get to know you when I'm here. If there's anything that I can ever do in any way that I can support, I can't wait to listen to all your new music and especially under the Tree and watch you on The Surreal Life.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks for having me. I can't wait too.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I hope we can like meet up since we live so close to each other, we should like meet up and have lunch. If there's anything any advice I can ever give you in any way that I can help, Honestly, from the bottom of my heart, I'm here, and before you go, can you tell us that when The Surreal Life airs, by any chance?
Speaker 2: Q one?
Speaker 3: Okay? Perfect? Perfect? So next year? Yes, awesome?
Speaker 1: All right, Well you guys you heard it. She has new music out and also her album, her EP will be coming out. Her EP will be coming out on November tenth. Under the Tree, you guys, so make sure that you check that out and oh, share your socials. I'm sure a lot of people follow you but still sit them.
Speaker 2: At Ali brook a L L Y b R okay across all perfect.
Speaker 1: You guys follow her, listen to her new music, and next year, you guys will be to see her on The Surreal Life.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And before we go, you guys know that I always leave you guys with the motivational quote, and since we're talking about girl power here, I thought this quote would be perfect. So the quote is the success of every woman should be an inspiration to another. We're strongest when we cheer each other on, and Ali, I'm cheering you on and I'm wishing you the absolute best bib everyone. Thank you for listening. Thank you so much, Ali kisses to everyone. Thank you for listening to Cheeks and Chill. Do you need advice on love, relationships, health emails? I'm so excited to share with you that my Cheekys and Chill podcast will have an extra episode drop each week. I'll be answering all your questions. Just leave me a voice message person a Monday. All you have to do is go to speak pipe dot com, slash Cheeky's and Chill podcasts and record your questions.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear from you.
Speaker 1: This is a production of iHeartRadio and the Micaeldura podcast Network. Follow us on Instagram at Michael Gura Podcasts and follow me Cheeky's That's c h i q u i s. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcast, and check us out on YouTube.