Speaker 1: It is Thursday, May first. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by dream Finders Homes and now the Cleveland Browns sixth quarterback J P.
Speaker 2: Check Real stand a Chance. Welcome in. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. Busy hour ahead as always, as we continue to bask in the afterglow of the twenty twenty five NFL Draft Hall, Jeff Logman.
Speaker 3: With US will have a draft review of all the picks.
Speaker 2: He's been watching film deep into the film room, digging deep on these nine Jaguars draft picks, including Travis Hunter. You might have heard of him. He'll play both ways for the Jaguars. The impact he has already made on the Jaguars organization and he's barely stepped foot on campus. And Phase two of the off season program is underway for the veterans.
Speaker 3: They've been out on.
Speaker 2: The field the last few days. This week is Phase two is here. Jaguars Happy Hour presented by dream Finders Homes, official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars or on tentionexl am, Jaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 3: And that's Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: J P. Shadrick with the aforementioned Jeff Lagaman, good afternoon, good afternoon, it's up. It's all good man. What one week after yeah, exactly one week Yeah at what an exciting night that was. I mean it was pretty incredible and h and I hope I didn't make anybody nervous because when we had BISSELLI on, he said what do you guys want to do? And you said jenty, and I said, trade up and get Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Because I said Jenny, I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: The Hunter's not going to be there, and well they trade up, you know, right, So that's why I picked Jenny. Sure, no, I mean until I get it. But you just said it. I said it, but I didn't know it. So people were like wondering, I mean, did you know? And I'm like, no, I had no idea. I need to go back and watch Facili's reacting reaction. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, probably a little bit of a little bit of a subtle surprised look. Probably, I bet if you if you looked real close, there's probably a video evidence. Well, and then the crazy thing is is that you know we were kind of all hanging around. And then I can't remember who, which NFL scoop guy has it, schefter or whoever says, you know, there's talk of a trade maybe happened between the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars. And I said, to your kidding me? And sure enough we went to Brian Sext and Brian Sexton in Green Bay said he was here in whispers at the draft and we're like, oh, here we go. So when all of a sudden, the Tennessee Titans on the clock, Me and Frank Franz you'd do on the show, and Frank's talking about, you know, the draft and the Titans. I was like, look, you know, let's make sure people are aware. Don't go get a beer or go get a sandwich, because when the Tennessee Titans are done here, the Jaguars could be on the clock if this trade does in fact go through. And sure enough it did. It was exciting. It's fascinating to hear the aftermath. You know, Mike Silver was here from the Athletic New York Times, longtime national writer in the NFL, and he was entrenched in the draft room. Oh yeah, all weekend including that, and had the story that night of the trade and everything that went into it, and from his article, basically they had the general deal in place seventeen days before the draft, that nobody let it out, which is amazing. It's this day and age, that's that not delete. That's truly amazing, and it all hinged. And I'm the Titan. I wonder how many people actually knew about that. I bet you know what I mean exactly, because I mean, if you're talking about seventeen days, I mean there's you know, if you're a new general manager, and look, I'm not trying to make any accusations, but when you come into a building with a regime that's been in place for a while, I mean, look, there's a handful of people that you're willing to trust, and so you want to make sure that there's only a few ears that actually know of what your plans are. And so I mean give credit to two organizations, one James Gladstone and the Jacksonville Jaguars for keeping it quiet, and then also the Cleveland Browns also as well. So and look, I can tell you this, Travis Hunter, if you're a fisherman, be glad you're not going to Cleveland and be extremely excited that you're I'm in too, Jacksonville, because you have found an off season of paradise. Apparently it all hinged on the Titans and when they confirmed they were making a pick at one and not trading out pretty much was going to be the quarterback, and that they were not selecting Travis himself. If there was going to be a trade there, then all of a sudden, cam Ward could have fallen into two, the Browns would have taken him there and the deal would have been off. So right, the deal is in and Travis Hunter is in as well. Well, we're gonna go through all the picks tonight, logs. We've got a whole hour to do this. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean the number one story, of course, really a lot of ways in this draft was Travis Hunter. He's number one in Jersey sales of rookies so far since the draft. By the way, I think that's changed now. I think Sanders has surpassed him.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, there's no guarantee shoot makes it.
Speaker 2: By the way, No, No, I mean it's that's a whole other topic right there. Legendary. Yes, I'm gonna start dropping that word at the end of everything that I from now.
Speaker 3: On surprised he coming with JP.
Speaker 2: How about you know da da da legendary. Yeah, what'll be doing? I don't know, man, But Travis Hunter, Hey, they're gonna let him play both ways, try it out wide receiver and then put him in at dB some see how it goes this off season and then reassessed. They've got a full plan in place from meeting times and schedule and practice and all these things, but it's fluid, and I think it has to be. And so the one thing I appreciate, first of all, I think James Gladstone is a very smart man. Let me just get that out of the way. But to go into this and some of the things that he said, I mean, he put some lofty expectations out there on Travis, which you know understandably, so I mean, they have a very high belief in him. But I give him credit to because he said that, you know, we have a plan in place, but he's not so arrogant to say that we know everything. And what I loved is that he said, you know, but it's fluid because this is ever been done before. And let's get him in the building. Let's kind of see how things go and then you adjust accordingly. And I've just thought that that was it was very smart to say that, because you know, at the end of the day, you're not sure yet. Nobody's ever done this, You've never been around him, you don't know the makeup, you don't know the physical demands of you know, for a professional athlete versus college it's it's different. So that part of it I respected highly.
Speaker 3: Let's go through each side of the ball.
Speaker 2: I know you've dug it on tape on Travis Hunter over the last week or so, especially, Let's start on offense, where he will really kind of begin the bulk of his time and what stands out the most to you when you go back and into the film room and watch Travis Hunter on the offensive side of the ball. I said this to James when we had him on our radio show the night of the draft, and was being totally honest, and I think I might have said this to you in the weeks leading up to the draft. He's the most effortless athlete that I have ever watched on film. He just makes everything look easy. And James actually used the term he's got incredible grace, very graceful, and I thought that that was another great accurate way of describing him. But he makes things look easy, just the body control that he has as a wide receiver, the speed, the ball skills that he has, I mean, making catches it, you know, and I'm here to tell you. And I was kind of nice to Shader Sanders leading up to the draft because I just wasn't a big fan of him. I thought Travis Hunter made him look really good at times. And also there was another wide receiver at Colorado that's a pretty good one and I don't know his name, but watching some of the throws a chadur Ad. But my point of that is is that Travis has ball skills, mad ball skills, and if he were on the field full time as an offensive player. And in this draft, watching all of the wide receivers that I did, I watched the top I think five or six guys in the draft, Travis Hunter was by far and away the best wide receiver and it wasn't even close. Ted McMillan wasn't even in the same neighborhood as Travis Hunter as a wide receiver, and pairing him with Brian Thomas Junior, I think is just going to be an amazing situation for Trevor Lawrence. There's a lot to like, certainly on the offense that you mentioned some of them about Travis Hunnert. For me, it's in contested situations he's covered, but he's not ever covered. He's never covered. I mean, the ball can be the guy could be blanketed on him and he's still gonna get hands on it at least, I mean, somehow, some way in so many different instances. He was able to do that in traffic at Colorado. The last time that I watched a wide receiver and came away watching the draft film that I was as impressed as this was Megatron. Oh yeah, John Calvin Johnson Detroit Lions. When I was watching him at Georgia Tech, and I remember being Brian Sexson and at the time I wasn't a big fan of taking a wide you know, the wide receivers high and Brian and I we were talking about wide receiver or the potential top of the draft, and I said, you got to consider Calvin Johnson number one and overall and he was like, well, wait a minute, when did you change your mind on that? I said, he's one of the most incredible athletes I've ever watched, and so and Justin Jefferson another guy that was incredible to watch. And when you watch Travis, I mean, he's just he's kind of similar to Justin Jefferson a little bit in a lot of ways. But the contested catches or the the circus catches that he has, I mean, it's just it's amazing to watch. And the body control, it's incredible. And what does he run the forty forty yard dash show? I've never really seen a time on. Yeah, he never really did, Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: No, you ever did it?
Speaker 2: I mean, because when you watch him run, it's he's effortless and and he's covering space like like nobody's nobody's business. I'd love to know what he's what's forty together? He hasn't run one, didn't do the combine, didn't do the pro DA, didn't have to. I don't believe. Hey, as fast as he needs check the tape like Dion right is legendary, runs as fast as legendary somebody that has a right to say legendary.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And as a as a defensive back, by the way, which the Jaguars are talking about kind of working that in and I understand because like if I, if I had to have a choice between playing him on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive side of the ball, I would choose offense. When you touch the ball potentially seventy times in a season, you have you can have a much greater impact on the game versus a corner. And because you know, teams can avoid a star corner, you know, and in the NFL, teams can avoid covering you know, they have to cover him on offense. So but as a defensive back, great ball skills obviously translate over to the defensive side of the ball as well. He never gets tired, he has outstanding ability to cover in man, and of course the anticipation and anticipation is incredible. But the gap between him and the next best defensive back, which in my mind was the guy out of Texas, wasn't as great as the gap of him and the next best wide receiver. But of course a little off year for wide receiver too, by what most experts would even say, you know, it's a totally different skill set, right, So it's receiver running forward. You have the advantage you know where you're going, but at corner you got to running backwards. Right now, everybody can do that at a high level, and he's able to handle everything with great Again, I'll never forget because I can't remember what it was. But on our TV at home, okay, you turn it on and it's got this app that it automatically goes to because it's a TV, some smart TV, right, And I'm not smart enough to tell you exactly what happens, And so when you turn it on, it goes to this Samsung channels, right, And for some reason, it's on like some NFL programming and it's Daniel Jeremiah and another guy and it's a podcast that's being recorded. And I respect Daniel Jeremiah. I think he does a great job. He does great on the air. His opinions are firm. His opinions as a scout I think are solid as well. And so when he talks, I have a tendency to listen to some of the stuff that he says. And he was talking about being at the workout with Travis Hunter and he said, you know, he's doing this whole workout thing and he said, all of the guys at the prote I guess, And he said, everybody's working out and everybody's sweating, you know, because they're working out hard. He goes, you look over at Travis Hunter and he's doing everything that everybody else is doing. There's not even a beat a sweat on them, right. I mean, so somehow genetically, Travis Hunter has what Lance Armstrong had to do illegally to accomplish, right, I mean seriously, I mean some people can handle one hundred and forty snaps in a game. How many have has ever done that? I mean you're going back to the nineteen six yeah, but I mean right in the sixties, it wasn't that many different game different game. It wasn't that fast, and they didn't have as many snaps in the game. But I mean, this is truly a special athlete that that can do that. I mean, how many people could even think about doing that. I mean, to play a game with one hundred and twenty to one hundred and forty snaps and he did it all through college inane and I mean there will be a lot of eyes, certainly this offseason on rookie mini camp in a couple of weeks and then ot next weekend yeah, next weekend, and just to kind of see what he's doing, when he's doing it, how he's doing it. That's a big piece of the off season conversation.
Speaker 3: Ahead.
Speaker 2: We've got to come back in a moment though, Logs, we've got eight other draft picks. I don't know if you've heard about these other guys. I did, and I watched them all finished up. Just in fact, just a few minutes ago before we went on the air. Monheim was the last guy that I watched, the fellow Trojan of Tony BASSELI.
Speaker 3: We'll get to him a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's you know, he's down in the draft draft ladder a little bit. We'll return. We'll discuss Caleb Ranson, Whytt Milam in the third round?
Speaker 3: Plenty more ahead, We're.
Speaker 2: On to next lam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 3: This is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 4: I kind of developed my confidence at a young age and start playing football, and I was four olda cuttness, so they used to bully me and I was the youngest out there playing football with him. So I had to get that confidence. I'm not gonna let y'all bully me and push me around, So That's just how I go about. If I'm not gonna let anybody push me ound and tell me what I can't do, I'm just go out and show him.
Speaker 2: It's Travis Hunter in his introductory press conference the other day here at the Midller Electric Center and welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, JP Shadrick, Jeff Flogoman and Jaguars Football is presented by Fresh from Florida. It's always in Season. JP Shadrick, Jeff Flogoman. We're at the Hundai Studios of the Miller Electric Center on ten Tonight's lam Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. Travis Hunter talk will dominate the off season. That's how that's gonna go. And there's never enough. We'll get back to him a little bit later coming up. There were eight other draft picks. Jags, of course traded away their second round pick to move up to get Travis Hunter. So they had the early part of Friday off just kind of hanging out, relaxing, seeing how the board went. Was waiting and waiting and waiting, and then all of a sudden, a couple of third round picks they had to do some maneuvering to get back up for the second of the third round picks. Caleb Ransaw, coming from Tulane, started his career at Troy. He's from the northern part of the state of Alabama, where he went to high school, stayed in state at Troy for three years, went on to Tulane. But Ransaw pick number eighty eight overall logs. He's not scared to go make contact. You can't say that for a lot of cornerbacks. We'll see what his position is here. Sounds like it's more of a safety style for him here. Yeah, watching his film, it was almost exclusively a nickelback his last year in college. And you know, Nichols in safety's got to tackle a lot, you know, I mean at the line of scrimmage near the box area, and then they at those positions you've got you got to tackle. And one of the surest tackling corner slash nickelbacks that I've watched in a number of years. I mean, he just doesn't miss many tackles. He's he's got courage, which not all defensive backs have in that role. Does a really good job of staying facing the line of scrimmage and attacking things that stay in front of him. That's where I think where he really excels. Great speed, I mean great speed. Ball skills kind of okay, but you know you're not in a position to really, you know, in his own type of concept to play on a lot of balls, I think. But what I like about him the best is just the sheer speed and athleticism and the willingness to be a physical defender. That part right there will tell you that he can play safety, and he also I think will split time as a nickel as well. I mean he can run too. Now, he can run forty inch vertical. Forty inch vertical. I like, there's like two guys that got forty inch vertical on this team and there may be more I'm talking about in the draft class. Crazy crazy numbers, But I like him. I think he does a good job in coverage. He can play man at times when the balls in the air. He doesn't have those elite ball skills like a Travis Hunter as a defensive back, but I mean, not many people do have that kind of skill level. Reason they traded another first round, sure, but I like what they did here because I think number one, he's going to be a really strong tackler a really strong special teams player, and this team needs help at safety, and it's going to be a little bit of a transition for him, but I think for the most part, I think he'll be able to adjust without any kind of major issues at all. Then the Jaguars had to trade back up into that third round and the next pick. In fact, while they were selecting Ransaw, they were in negotiations with the trade for the eighty ninth overall pick. They ended up with Wyatt Milam out of West Virginia, the Big twelve offensive lineman of the year, a four year starter, a consensus All American pick a year ago, and he's big, sixty six, three hundred and thirteen pounds, And it just continues the idea of change on the offensive line for free agent editions. And then Milam the first of what ended up being two selections in the NFL Draft on the line. But Milam is going to move into guard here. Well, interesting too the picture that we just showed he's wearing sixty four. Well, all the film that I watched, he was wearing seventy four and played left tackle. And I think it's going to be interesting to see where he's gonna end up playing for this football team. He's going to provide competition I think at multiple positions, guard and tackle. Like it. He finishes, got a little nasty to him, which I really like. The finish that he has I think are gonna Those are the kind of that's the kind of finish that you want to have with your offensive line group as a whole. And that's probably one of the weaker things that the offensive line. One of the traits that they had over the last couple of years is that they didn't finish. My limb will finish each and every play. He's not looking just to you know, he's sometimes looking to go to the echo of the whistle and likes to try to bury guys. A little bit athletic, He's long. I don't know if his best position is going to be tackled. I think he's probably going to be guard.
Speaker 3: Six six guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's the way the National Football League nowadays, right. I Mean, he doesn't have I don't think he's got exceptionally long arms, but he's he's a big, long, big guy, naturally, big guy, tough as nails. Double teams, oh man, when he he did double teams, you know, because a lot of times the tackle will we'll bump on a three and then go up to second level. His bumps were like throwing guys out of the bars do where the guard didn't have to hardly do anything. So he's fun to watch now, fun to watch. I think he's gonna be, if not a starter right away, then he's gonna be a guy that may be into the lineup sooner rather than later. And that's you know, I was talking with John Osier. You might have heard of him, and Bucky Brooks. Yeah, you might have heard of him. Yeah, on Huddle Up yesterday on the official Jaguars podcast network Jaguars you Tube all the places, and our conversation was about offensive line. And you know, a lot of times you say there's competition, but you know who the starters are gonna be. That's right, Yeah, there might actually be some real competition on the offensive line this year, so far from set right. Well, And look, I think the veteran guys coming in are gonna have a little bit of an advantage just because you know, look, they know how the league is, they've got experience, they're more mature physically. Some of these guys that come in with offensive linemen, sometimes it takes them a couple of years to kind of get to the point physically to where they're men. I mean, there's a lot of guys that play college football that they haven't been playing football and lifting weights and eating full time and haven't gotten to the point physically that the guys are in the pros. And also the techniques and tricks and all that kind of stuff, anticipation, learning the system, learning the game at the NFL level, it's a distinct advantage for a veteran player, so it's very difficult for a young player to come in. Now there's special cases, just like Biselli. When he came in the door, I was like, my god, this guy's ready to go. But there's not a lot of guys that are built that way. But I believe that there is going to be legitimate competition, and I think Milas is going to be in the mix.
Speaker 3: Well, come back in a moment.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty more draft picks to go through, and you can still get that newly released draft cap limited Edition. Head to the pro Shop or shop dot Jaguars dot com and get your exclusive draft cap and do it today. Back with more and just a moment it is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 5: I go through the range of all emotions and when it comes to competing right, Internally, I have an extreme fire and an extreme passion for the sport of football and engineering team dynamics.
Speaker 6: But externally I do project, an attempt to project.
Speaker 5: It is a conscious effort, grace and end points. Which that's practice that's been practiced over time, and I have had to if that's my standard, failed not met that standard multiple times.
Speaker 6: In order and I know that I'll fail in the future.
Speaker 5: Right, There's likely to be a moment that I don't, I don't come through in a way that I would want to come through, and there will be moments where I'm proud of it.
Speaker 6: But that's certainly something I'm conscious of.
Speaker 2: James Gladstone Jaguars GM taped today with John Oser on the Ozone podcast.
Speaker 3: It will be out soon. It will be a must listen.
Speaker 2: Slash watch on Jaguars YouTube. Welcome back, It is Jaguars Happy Hour and the twenty twenty five season at Daily's Place continues this month. Teddy swims May tenth, Kodak Black is replacing t Pain May thirty first, Stick's Kevin Cronin Don Felder June second. Plenty of shows throughout the spring and on end of the summer of busy June especially Dailyesplace dot com for tickets and show information. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman. We're at the Hundai Studios and we're inside the Miller Electric Center. Ten text Lam Jaguars dot Com, Jack Wars YouTube. We're reviewing the Jaguars draft class with Jeff Flogoman, film expert. Well, I don't know about that, but spent the time watching I probably spent about an hour watching each guy, you know, but today was a little I had like two guys at the very end here where it didn't quite go an hour. But uh yeah, I watched most of these guys for for quite some time. And by Schule Tooting, Yeah, Basal, let's say sure the day three picks here starting in the fourth round. Basial Tooting out of Virginia Tech, was at North Carolina A and T to start his career, transferred to Blacksburg four three two forty a forty and a.
Speaker 3: Half inch vertical jump at the combine.
Speaker 2: Four three two. I mean, just give people an idea that's smoking fast. That's Fred Taylor fast. I mean that's seriously, that's Fred Taylor fast. And you look at the size of them five nine two oh six. Yeah, I mean this is uh, this is a more east tight maybe a little bit taller on Maurice probably wore platform shoes to get the five to nine on some kind of measured days, right, Maurice. No, But when Tutin gets a hole, I mean, I mean, he's got a lot of guys have forty yard dash speed, and there are guys that have legitimate football speed. Tutan's got legitimate football speed and power as well. You know, in the backfield, you're talking about a compact figure. Now. I don't want to say he's Ashton Jenny power, because Jenny runs through more tackles than arguably anybody that ever watched in college football. But Tutan's got a little bit of that kind of at the beginning. But once he's in the open field, that power doesn't run through guys. But when he's untouched, I'm talking there's a smoke trail behind him and got really strong vision, which is obviously a great trait to have your running back. But I mean, I was shocked that this guy wasn't in the conversation as one of the top four running backs in the draft after watching him, how much of it is especially with the guy in North Carolina. Yeah right, what's his name, Maari Hampton? Yeah, Hampton. So being this size five to nine, little over two hundred, you can kind of hide behind the offensive line a little bit too, right, Yeah, I mean that's not I mean, you don't want to pick short guys just so they can hide. But I mean, yeah, he has a little bit of that. But the impressive part of him is the speed, the speed vision. But what impressed me the most about him is that he doesn't waste any steps. There's a lot of running backs like the guy Ohio State that got picked I think is the second running back in the draft. He will dance a little bit, okay until he figures out where he needs to go to none do that. I mean it's once plant and then go. I mean, that's the thing I think that's impressive about him and is he doesn't waste anytime. His offensive linemen are gonna love that fact because he's decisive and he's decisive.
Speaker 3: With good vision.
Speaker 2: So bam and go north South. That's him. North South with speed. So when you add a quick decision on the cut with elite speed, now you're talking angles and approaches from defenders are not gonna work as well. And that's why he had all the yards that he had.
Speaker 3: Let's continue in the fourth round.
Speaker 2: The Jaguars go linebacker Jack Kaiser out of Notre Dame was in South Bend for six years, stuck it out. How do you end up at college for six years? Well, COVID year so that everybody could get an extra year during the COVID rules. A lot of guys took advantage of it, and he he came into college in an era where nil and transfer rules were not a thing. Like you couldn't just go anywhere, and you weren't getting paid much money. At the end, he could have gone other places, he didn't, and he got paid some money at the end of the Notre Dame to stick around six nine veteran players played a lot of football. He has and and just he was an outstanding I think interview. You know the league has interviews, the teams have the interviews. He's a great interview, just like I mean, Tooton was an exceptional interview. The running back from Virginia Tech and Kaiser were number twenty four, and that kind of sticks in my mind because he's not a big, big guy, you know what I mean, what did you say he was ye six two two twenty something whatever, not a monster linebacker like you know Devin Lloyd and him standing next to each other, it was thirty one two thirty one. There would be a stark difference in size. But really active, really active, makes a lot of tackles. And I think you was he like the all time leading tackler and that Notre Dame I think. I think it's something that I read somewhere, but watching his film, I mean, the guy is always around the ball, active to no get out, has great movement skills, but he's a little smaller than some of the other linebackers. And I would say this about him. I think he's going to make a lot of tackles in his career. I think he's going to be an exceptional special teams player because he's active and he's got that movement. But I think you're going to have to protect him a little bit. When I say protect him a little bit, you want to have a lot of you want to have a lot of beef up in front of him so that he can he can run clean. If he's got to consistently fight through blocks, then that's not going to be him at his best, so to speak. But love how active he is, Love how how many hell is all. He's got a nose for the ball. He's always there. Comes from a hard working background, comes from a farm. Did his post pick call to the media the family farm. Yeah, like he's got I think a thousand acres in Indiana. Had some brothers when they all left to go, and they were all like athletes, I guess, and then he had to take over all their duties and stuff. And I mean, yeah, he's got the work ethic and got a little bit of track background in the family. I guess a lot of his dad and a lot of his brothers and him were throwers at the discus and shot don sta. Yeah, pretty cool. He's going to be twenty five when the season gets here. That's kind of an older rookie, Trevor Lawrence, Yeah, isn't it. That's all right? Hey, Look, as long as you can play football, I don't care how old you are. Taylor McLeod could play football at Auburn certainly in his last couple of years started at a state, transferred over. He was a six round pick. As a linebacker, he was kind of a hybrid type with stand up some They put him on the edge in certain pass rushing downs and twenty four tackles for loss in twenty four games at Auburn in his two years on the planes. Yeah, he played a lot and with his hand in the ground. And I should actually correct that and say hands. At Auburn, the edge players play from a four point stand. What's the difference there? Why is that a difference. I'm not a fan of the four point stance just because I think it slows your get off. You're losing a little bit of that momentum swing with the back arm. But I can tell you this, I mean, there was no problem with him doing it. But he's kind of did a little bit of both. At Auburn, he was on the edge in a four point stance. He would stand up in that kind of spinner role where he would be a fourth rusher and they'd have three down and he would kind of move around and go to different gaps and rush. And there were times that he stood up as like a spy and played linebacker. Now, at the All Star Game that he went to, they played him as an inside linebacker, which I think is more than likely going to be where he ends up residing at. But I think he can give them a guy that maybe can contribute some snaps at edge, you know, in two minute drill where you're kind of rotating guys through. But he's not a real big guy, you know, so I want to see that because there's not a lot of guys that aren't that big that can do that. I wonder what his coverability is like if he's gonna play, you know, if he's gonna be an outside kind of strongside guy. Well, I can tell you this the if he's gonna I anticipate him playing linebacker here. Okay, I think there's gonna be an adjustment period for him. Okay. The one thing that's very apparent he's got great closing. UH doesn't have He's not a super fast guy, but he does a really good job of body control. He's got great bend, he's got some natural pass rush moves, and he's a very good athlete. But he doesn't have superior speed. But he's got good speed. But there's always an adjustment for a guy that's had his hand in the round for the most part and then was told to sick them to now all of a sudden that you have to read react, and before you even read and react, you've got to be able to adjust the assignments and responsibilities in the gap and everything else in your mind before the ball has even snapped. Devin Lloyd, right, It takes a while, right, Yeah, I mean Devin had an adjustment period on that as well, right, So we'll see what McLeod has. Devin's still in an adjustment period to some extent, so I mean still learn it. And it's a big year for him, final year of his rookie deal. They didn't take the fifth year option, well, and that's an opportunity for it going to be a great opportunity for him, you know. Now he's going to have a chance to test the market, have a great year, and then you're going to be loving it absolutely. We continue here on Jaguars Happy Hour, JP Shadwick, Jeff Lockham and going through the traft picks. We talked Travis Hunter already, we've gone third round, we've gone fourth round. Now we're in the sixth round again. With Raywan laying the third safety out of Navy. James Gladstone says, hey, you know, most likely you'll see his impact immediately on the special team side of things.
Speaker 3: But he had.
Speaker 2: Opportunities after two years. If you're at the academies, you can transfer after to you know, within two years without penalty or without having to serve and all that. He decided to stay and stick it out at Navy and played forty nine games for the midship But I think that says something right there. I mean, you talk about commitment, right, I mean, to stay at Navy when he could have left made money and il money maybe improved his opportunities in the draft even further. I mean I like that. I mean to me, that says something about the person now the player watching his film. Very good ball skills, very good ball skills, the positives, got a good nose for the ball. Definitely is active, runs well, I will say, in open space. At times. Sometimes he misses tackles, which I mean, I think that anybody in open space can do that. But I like his commitment. I like his his attitude that he plays the game at But he's got that one weakness is a tackling in space a little bit. That's gonna be something to watch for him. But the ball skills that he has JP you know, whereas you know earlier we were talking about rams while not having the ball skills. Okay, this young man has ball skills. Love that m H. And he can play immediately because of just not that long ago, they had made some changes to the rules for players who have finished their years at Navy Army the academies. So basically he'll be in the selected reserves as a commissioned officer and participated and he'll participate, as they say, at efforts to recruit and retain members of the Army. I mean, what better way to recruit for the Navy in this town then to have a guy that just finished his playing career at Navy and is now going to be an example for all of the other people to maybe want to go to play football at Navy or to join the Navy itself. Great opportunity for him. I mean, if he ends up playing well in this town, there's gonna be a lot of opportunities they're going to open up for him. Absolutely, a two base Navy town in Jacksonville. Oh, come on, Oh, yeah, kidding me. Well, let's not forget. Okay, we've got a couple bases, but then there's another one right up the road. Oh yeah, up in Georgia. Correct, Yeah, so three within really striking distance. Exactly.
Speaker 3: Love that. Let's continue, Let's get the seventh round.
Speaker 2: Picks and logs and Jonah Manheim from Southern California played both tackle positions in twenty two and twenty three right tackle, left tackle, respectively, and then moved into center last year for twelve games for SC and I played four of the five positions in a career across the line, but listed as a center as they picked him. Well, and this is one of those guys that I didn't spend the hour on. Okay, so I just watched his performance last year, so I think the center, And even though I haven't watched him play tackle, I don't think he's got the length to play tackle. He's a six foot four, three hundred pounder. I think his room for growth. He's got a great base, he's got great awareness. His footwork is good. He got to do a little bit better sometimes with his first step in gaining ground instead of kind of shuffling with it. But balance anticipation. I think he's going to get bigger to be more effective. Does an excellent job getting to the second level. There's not many centers that can snap a shotgun snap and that can pull and get out front on a wide suite. This guy can do that, which is impressive. So I think this is a I don't want to say this is a I don't think he's going to come in and compete right away way for a starting job. I don't think you're gonna beat Ainsey out, okay, but I think that this is a guy jar on the shelf, develop him for a year, maybe two, and that this guy may end up being a long term solution at center for you. And finally, also in the seventh round, the Quint Allen from Syracuse, another running back. I don't know if i'd put him at just running back.
Speaker 3: Where are you gonna put him?
Speaker 2: I think he can you can say running back, slash, full back, slash, h back slash, tight end. His his special ability is catching the ball. I mean that's really where his special skill set really really shows to me. Uh here hurdles a lot of guys once he's out in space. Uh got good hands, evasive in the open field. You know, they they played him in kind of that dual role at Syracuse, you know, where they weren't afraid to put him out in space and play him as a as a slot receiver. Had over five hundred receiving yards, one of two FBS players with over one thousand rushing and five hundred or more receiving scataboos the other one. By the way, Yeah, I like this young man. You know, look for he's long. Kind of reminds me a little bit when he's running, kind of like a Derrick Henry. And don't don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to say he runs with that power authority, but just the length, you know. I mean when you watch Derrick Henry run, you notice the length and you thought, well, he's not moving that fast because his gait is different, right, He's gaining a lot of ground with steps. Kind of reminds me a little bit of a l quinn Alleny just because of the length, but not obviously in the same category. You know, a lot of passing game stuff. Sixty four catches last year. Let all the running backs in college football. Yah, That's why I don't I don't think you put him at running back. I think you just say, hey, look athlete, But you know you don't do that in the same kind of way that you know years ago the Jaguars draft is somebody out of Michigan and decided to put the tag of that fleet on the offensive weapon. Yeah, I mean that was Robins. Yeah, come on, come on, let's just just give him a position and let's move forward. But but la Quinn Allen is uh is a I think he's gonna be fun to watch just from the standpoint of you can do a lot of different things with him. And by the way, the Jaguars signed twenty undrafted. Haven't gotten the film on it.
Speaker 3: You haven't dug that deep.
Speaker 2: Give me a little time on that. We've got time. We'll come back in a moment. Phase two is underway for the veterans and we'll get our final thoughts in on ten to excel am Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 3: It's Jaguars Happy Hour. I'm not gonna let no one talking. I'm promising that.
Speaker 2: So I feel like I did a good job at.
Speaker 6: West Virginia not let no one touch the quarterback. So that's my goal. I'm not gonna let anyone touch Trevor, So I'm excited to that.
Speaker 3: It's Wyatt Milum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to start as an offensive lineman. Don't let anybody touch number sixteen.
Speaker 3: Good idea. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It's Jaguars Happy Hour JP Shaddick with Jeff Logiven. We're at the Hundai Studios on Tentedxlamjaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube and Jaguars Happy Hour is presented by Dream Pinders Homes, official homepiitter of the Jacksonville Jaguars. We've gone through the draft class. They'll have rookie mini camp next weekend, so keep an eye out for maybe some possible news on that in the next.
Speaker 3: Week or so.
Speaker 2: Don't want to ruin it. Meanwhile, veterans are here. Phase two of the off season program is underway. It started on Monday, which means that the coaches can be out there for the first time with players. It was no helmets though, no helmet still, no team drills, no one on one stuff. Basically it's just individual drills. Now that's you know, that's the pace of the off season and nut's the way it should be, you know. But the biggest part is is that when you've got a new coaching staff like this, the moments that you have on the grass great teaching opportunity because you've got new systems, and so you want to end up having that become kind of second nature by the time you hit the ground for mini camps. So then then once you get the training camp, it's just an afterthought that the system is already in there and you're not even thinking anymore. You're just being an athlete. If you're watching us on Jaguars YouTube, you see Liam Cohen and Trevor Lawrence on the field together for the first time. Yeah, there's Diamie Brown with the head coach, Liam Cohen, Ryan Thomas Junior. I mean, look, this is valuable. You know, this is when you want to have as much influence on the players as far as the teaching part of it and also about establishing your culture and valuable valuable time spent all in the grass and you can't waste it because you know you're limited. You know, you're basically once you step out on the grass, you're on the clock. You know, the the union and and ownership has the agreements about what you can do, how you can do it. And how long you can do it. And you've got to make the most out of every bit of it. Yeah, go up to the light of the rule. It's written for a reason, it's negotiated for a reason. What it is, you know, and don't try to bend the rules or anything like that. But you know, just just follow the rules.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: We've seen it around here where the rules have been bent, well, they've been slept in the hand. Well. And I tell you what, the Miller Electric Center is an amazing place. I mean, what a great facility. I mean you compare what there is today versus what it used to be like for the Jaguars here. I mean, it's night and day, night and day. Every modern amenity tool is there for the players. It's all right at their fingertips. It's all convenient. I mean, kudos to the city, kudos to Shad because this place is top notch. Everything he needs right here. Why would you go anywhere else? You don't need to, You don't, you don't need to at all. By the way, they signed a defensive end Ogba. What do you think I like him? Why did we wait like two years, three years to sign another edge player? You're asking the wrong guy. That guy's not around anymore. I don't know, Like, wait, wait a minute. You gotta have you gotta have guys that can rotate in. I mean I'm talking legitimate guys. And last year the best guy that they had that they were going to roll in traded them to another team. And I was going Roy robertson Harris, No, not Roy. They traded them. Well, they both ended up going to Seattle. He was an edge player. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyway, he was the depth. He was your third guy, and they traded him right before the season began, and I was like, well, wait a minute, Trevis Gibson, Yes, Trevis Gibson, okay, from the Tennessee Titans. They got right, And look, I mean, no offense to Miles Cole, okay, But Miles Cole wasn't ready to be a third guy in the rotation, and he showed that last year. He's got a ways.
Speaker 3: To go yet.
Speaker 2: Emmanuel Ogba former second round pick Brown Miamistry year Dolphins for five seasons.
Speaker 3: How many sacks did you have in your career? Logs?
Speaker 2: Oh I don't, oh, don't act like you. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Passed forty three and a half in it.
Speaker 2: It's about somewhere about what I had something like that. He's a good player, veteran guy, been there, done that. When he lines up, you're not sitting there worried about, oh my god, is he gonna get smoked or oh my god, he's not going to be able to do anything. You're okay, veteran guy. Put him in. We're okay. We can give these guys a break for the record. Jeff Logman career sacks forty seven. Yeah, that was right around there.
Speaker 3: Happened when he passes.
Speaker 2: You this year, Oh, congratulates. I'll shake his hand. I'll say, good job man. Not hard to do. If I could stay it healthy, I might have had a few more that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's everybody right.
Speaker 2: Well, part of the game. The way the game is, what do they always say? JP? Availability always supersedes what ability? Ability exactly. But you can't spell certain ones without the words of ability availability. Availability cannot be spelled without some of the letters from ability, like the whole word almost. But you don't use the B and availability. I guess you do.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: What is wrong? Well? That's the am I right. You cannot spell, you cannot spell one without the other. That's the only point I.
Speaker 3: Was making, right, But it's the same.
Speaker 2: Never mind, it is the ability and availability. You just had to be in another What are we doing? But I'm just saying, JP, I'm glad they got Agba to go back to our original point because you gotta have three. Now, everybody's kind of freaking out about the whole We didn't do anything in the draft to address our defensive line. I think people need to take a step back and take a deep breath on that.
Speaker 3: Take a chill pill.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, not a chill pill, because that kind of implying to take a drug. Don't take a drug. It relax, Okay, Ogba is exactly it. I thought that they may address edge in the draft because that's the position. I thought that they needed to find some depth in. But by doing that with Ogba, to me, okay, you got it, and everybody's like, okay, what are you gonna do at defensive tackle? I feel good about Jordan Jefferson, Devon Hamilton, Okay, Eric Armstead, I'm okay with those guys. I think they'll be okay next week. Between now and then, I don't teach you how to spell and then next week I need a little bit liston Lane will be with us last week, so that's coming up next week. Thanks to Jeff Flogerman, I'm j P. Shadwick, Joe Fortunado, David cho our entire crew. Thanks to you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.