Speaker 1: Welcome to the Good Stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm Jacob Shick and I'm joined by my co host and wife, Ashley Shick.
Speaker 3: Jake is a third generation combat Marine and I'm a gold Star granddaughter, and we work together to serve military veterans, first responders, frontline healthcare workers, and their families with mental and emotional wellness through traditional and non traditional therapy.
Speaker 4: At One Tribe Foundation, we.
Speaker 2: Believe everyone has a sword itself, not only about the peaks, but also the valleys they've been through to get them where.
Speaker 1: They are today.
Speaker 3: Each week, we invite a guest to tell us their story, to share with us the lessons they've learned that shape who they are and what they're doing to pay it forward and give back.
Speaker 2: Our mission with this show is dig deep into our guest's journey so we can celebrate the hope and inspiration their story.
Speaker 1: Has to offer.
Speaker 4: We're thrilled you're joining us again.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Good Stuff. Our guests today is my brother, Joaquin Ramiro. He's not only a fellow Marine, but he's a father, husband, and avid gamer. His work as a Chief operating Officer of One Tribe Foundation puts him squarely in the trenches regularly of helping a multitude of people not die by suicide.
Speaker 3: Yes, and his journey provides us so much inspiration on the daily as we have the privilege of working alongside him. He's here to tell us his story about how being raised in a strict religious household and getting sent to a boarding school in Mexico helped shape him to be the marine and executive that he is today.
Speaker 2: We're so proud to bring this conversation to you because I know for a fact he dug deep and there were no boundaries to his vulnerability. And this is the first time I've known him to open up in a public form.
Speaker 4: Yes, it definitely felt like a family affair.
Speaker 3: We're actually here in the One Tribe offices today, which is exciting because this is where the magic happens.
Speaker 2: Happy to be here. It's honor I have you here. No, are you a marine's marine, but you're you're a leader of humans. And just saying I love he is not enough like it's not enough justice. Oh, I appreciate it. It's an honor to be here. As you guys know, I love you too.
Speaker 3: Marine Corps was part is a part of your story, but it's by no means.
Speaker 4: The whole story, the whole story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's one thing to say, you know what, I want to serve my country, I want to don the cloth of my nation. But then what makes you go the extra mile and say, but I'm not just going to join the armed forces. I'm actually going to join the Marine Corps.
Speaker 5: So Marine Corps. It was all about the uniform. I mean honest, the first thing I saw was the dress blues, and I was like, all right. I didn't have really a background on any of the branches to say that one was harder than the other. All I knew was that my grandfather was a marine. As a matter of fact, I walked into the wrong door because I wanted to be in the branch that flew airplanes, air Force marines. That's exactly what my recruiter told me. But yeah, no, I went in with zero knowledge of any branch. I just knew that I was going to serve. Walked into the first door, the red one with the ego globe and anchor, and I was like, all right, well, I'm here to join. And my recruiter, well, I told my recruiter was like, hey, I want to join the branch that flies jets.
Speaker 1: He's like, well we have jets, Well sign me up.
Speaker 5: That's how I ended up in the Marine Corps recruiting office.
Speaker 4: We'll find jets.
Speaker 1: They have them. They do, they have jets.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but it sounds like your recruiter probably didn't have the same integrity as my recruiter, which is kind of the mo for recruiters, right. I mean, my recruiter was great. He was got me out of jail like he was awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean he tried talking to me out.
Speaker 2: To go on the infantry. He's like, Jake, you don't do that. Living conditions are gonna suck, like you don't eat great. And I was like, exactly, need too mature to be in college. I need to grow mentally, physically, emotionally. Marines were a great, great place for that. And I don't know about you, but my Marine Corps boot camp experience was there's a reason they say they have more mind games in Milton Bradley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a fact. Mine was different. Though.
Speaker 5: My boot camp experience didn't feel as rough as I've heard a lot of people talk about it, and I think a lot of it had to do with my upbringing. You think maybe I just felt like it was and I'm not going to say easy. It was by no means easy, but looking around at all the other recruits in my platoon, some were struggling, they were on the struggle bus, and I just felt like, you listen to your orders, you do what you're told, and this is going to be good.
Speaker 1: Love fast, loved faster, and with purpose. That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being a United States Marine it is one of the most challenging things that you can sign up for. Everything from going through boot camp and then and you're both your experiences, you know, deploying and seeing the things that you saw, experiencing what you experienced, and then coming home and then the transition of getting out of the Marine Corps. Transitioning back to civilian life not an easy thing. It's something that we focus on every day here at One Tribe Foundation and trying to help our fellow veterans, first responders, law enforcement officers, frontline healthcare workers, and their families, you know, transition from going and doing what they do on a daily basis and service to living a quote normal life, whatever that might look like. But most Marines begin their relationship, you know with that struggle in training. Your story is different. You had some things in your toolbox already that kind of helped you prepare for that experience.
Speaker 4: Tell us a little bit about your story so.
Speaker 5: Early on, I mean young teenager. I have a twin brother. We were raised out in the middle of nowhere. I think that's originally where everything just started for us as far as our resibuilding braziliency. We lived out in California in the mountains. It was caretaking some three thousand acres of property for some rich old guy. We lived way off of like the highway, like it was out there. There was no electricity, no lights. We lived in a fourteen foot trailer. We took bats in buckets of water. We were homeschooled and we were allowed free rain to this three thousand acres of property where we would leave in the morning go exploring in the mountains, hunt rattlesnakes, maybe not find rattlesnakes and strike that I'm kidding. And there was like he had this man made lake out there, so we'd like build little boats out of like inner tubes and stuff. My mom probably would have had no clue if one of us drowned that lake just putting it out there. That's how that's how we were raised. We loved it. We didn't know anything different. We didn't know that we were.
Speaker 1: What people would call poor.
Speaker 5: It was just part of our life to be able to have complete full rain of acres and acres of mountains.
Speaker 1: It was just fun for us.
Speaker 5: It was that's initially where you'd go a big boulder, rolls over on your foot. Nobody knows one of us could run back and get some help. Maybe, but I still, you know, look back at it back on it today, and I'm like, that's kind of nuts. Like if it was my daughter, I don't know that she would have been given that much freedom.
Speaker 3: But because it sounds like little house on the Prayer, like or like Texas in the eighteen eighties, like no electricity, no running water, you're taking baths and buckets.
Speaker 4: I mean, what year was.
Speaker 5: This, So this was what early nineties. Yeah, we were probably thirteen fourteen years old at the time. Obviously home studied. We didn't, you know. I want to give some praise to my mom. She did a pretty good job educating us, keeping us educated because we were able to transition into public school at the time. But we didn't go to public school until we were in the eighth grade. And this is where it became problematic because you know, my brother, he was born without an ear, not very used to interacting with kids or people our age, so he got bullied a lot for it, ended up doing this surgery and they messed it up even worse than what it was before. He ended up leaving the school. I stayed there, so we've always had a really close connection. So it was difficult for me to not have my brother at.
Speaker 2: School, especially because y'all are identical twins.
Speaker 3: We are what they say is true about twins, right, you have that crazy strong bond.
Speaker 5: It's very difficult for us to be not especially identical twins, right, yeah, more so than fraternal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you and Francisco or your type, Yeah, very close.
Speaker 5: And so that was a difficult time because we'd never been raised around kiddos. We were very you know, kept in a bubble most of our lives. So having that interaction bullying, we weren't used to what bullying was at the time. That was also something that just I want to say, looking back on it now, just built on that resiliency. And then after graduating school, eighth grade or whatever. Our parents decided our home. Stepparent and parent decided that they would wanted us to go to school in Mexico. And I think that was an extremely rough transition, at least it was for me.
Speaker 4: How did that come about?
Speaker 5: That came about from the religion that we practiced at the time, or that they practiced at the time. It was they were very conservative, I guess. I guess I could say we were all conservative Christian not by choice.
Speaker 1: As far as kids, he just you raised how you raised.
Speaker 5: Stepdad at the time, he was extremely conservative Seventh day Amtist. My mom in her prior life was very much into gangs and very violent and things like that. When they met, however, they met, she converted over to this religion from Catholic. We used to live in the Bay Area, moved down to San Diego with this guy stepfather, I guess at the time, knowing no one all of our family was up in the Bay Area, so we didn't have anybody. I think that also serves as a lot of the connection between and my brothers. We had each other our whole lives, like through everything. In any case, it was this religion. I didn't really have a problem with the religion until we got to our teen years and myself and my brother were appointed as the bad kids of church. And this is something also that I look back and I was like, well, what is a bad kid? Because we wore baggy jeans and went to the movies and I think the first movie we went to was a Titanic and somebody from church saw us and they're like, all these sinners are at the movie theaters. And so that was really what labeled us as bad kids in the church, right, so, you know, in order to get us on the right path. I don't know if a recruiter was going around to all the churches in the area or what, but my parents caught wind of this school down in Mexico that, you know, was great at transforming the lives of bad kids or something. I don't know, because that's how we ended up down in a boarding school in Mexico.
Speaker 4: What are the beliefs of this church?
Speaker 3: Like, because you going to see the Titanic at the movie theater? And I grew up in a very conservative church environment as well, where we weren't allowed to listen to secular music and you know, you couldn't wear revealing clothes and couldn't celebrate holidays and all of that same thing.
Speaker 1: No secular music.
Speaker 5: I mean we listened to hymns, and I mean that was the music that we grew up with, not Metallica or led Zeppelin or anything. The other thing that I've talked about a lot. We weren't allowed to do any kind of intramural sports. I consider myself fairly athletic. I think we probably could have done well in any sport, but we were never given the opportunity because games fell on Saturdays, and Saturdays are the day of rest.
Speaker 1: You don't do anything. You don't watch TV.
Speaker 5: From the time the sun goes down Friday evening to the time the sun goes down Saturday.
Speaker 1: You don't do anything.
Speaker 5: No TV, no video games, no sports, no nothing. So that was one of those roles. Movie theaters off limits to a certain extent. Meat eaters were also looked at as like, oh, you know, you guys are kind of bad, like you should be vegetarian. Yeah, no makeup for the women jeweler. Jewelry was pretty much one of those things that you're not a medic center and this specific church because they're not all the same. This specific church was very conservative in its ways.
Speaker 2: So how did you feel that even at that age, you know, you're early teens, you're one of those people that you're very intuitive anyway, you're a good read on energy. And did you even know then, like, yeah, this is this is a little crazy.
Speaker 5: No, it was at that point when, you know, because most of the other churches that we had gone to was hitting mess. It was like, you know, but this specific place, the people in it were very judgmental individuals and this.
Speaker 1: Is on its face hypocritical. Yeah, you know, absolutely, I agree with that. It was. There was a lot of hypocrisy.
Speaker 5: And I'm not going to call anyone out here by name, but there were other other teenagers that were far I don't want to use the word worse, but let's just call it worse. At the time that nobody was saying anything because you know, their father was a head deacon and maybe they kept it hidden how to do senority. So it was it was definitely identified as what is this like this place?
Speaker 1: Do I even want to be here? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And we went Wednesday evenings and Saturday all day long time. You have your friends in church, and I think that's really what kept us. There is that we get to interact with our buddies, but for the most part, it was like, I'm not I don't want to sit through a sermon like especially these moments.
Speaker 3: And I do think for some people, this environment, the structure works. For some people, they're so desperate or they're longing for the belief, for the atmosphere, for the family, and this is what they cling to. And in my experience, again, because you know I share this, I understand exactly what you're talking about, because it's very similar to a period of my childhood where we went to a church that was very similar. It's almost like they want that to be your whole world.
Speaker 4: This is your.
Speaker 3: Family, this is your world, this is your environment, and we've got to make sure so as you're when you're a child, if it's your parents seeking out that environment, seeking out that religion, you know, as a child, it's like that's just what you grow up in. It's almost the norm. It's well, this isn't weird, this isn't odd, this is just my environment.
Speaker 4: And you don't know until you get labeled.
Speaker 1: And I do agree with you.
Speaker 5: Religion and especially church, one of the positives is the fellowship right people getting together.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree with that.
Speaker 3: How was that when you got the call like, hey, we're going to this boarding school in Mexico?
Speaker 4: What was going through your head?
Speaker 5: We didn't have a choice, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how I felt about it at the time, because it was like, this is what this is what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were probably pretty accustomed to that at that point.
Speaker 1: This is what we do, how we do it, when we do it, and you don't question. We obeyed the rules.
Speaker 5: If you didn't, then you get your ass whooped and a lot of weird punishment too. It used to be that we'd get spank that we used to live out by an orange grove. I remember this in our stepfather whenever we did something bad. Some were some justifiably we were. We weren't always angels. You'd take us out and you know, ten trees in and you'd hold our hands above our head by our wrists and hit us with the belt and just depending on the severity of the of what we did, it was anywhere from three to ten that we'd get I have to sit there and watch my brother get spanked, and then it was my turn, and my brother would sit there and watch me get spanked. So I remember there was one time when we started getting too old for getting hit, we had to dig a hole like three feet deep, drop this fifty pounds rock down in it, take it back out, fill the hole. And it just random discipline that that sounds.
Speaker 2: Like a marine corps. You see all those big rocks, go make them a little rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So tell us about when you went down to Mexico.
Speaker 5: So Mexico was interesting. It was one of those things too, where the way we were brought up, it was just like you just do what is ahead of you. So if they say you're going to school in Mexico, just go to school in Mexico. It's not necessarily that I wanted to be there, but at the time it was just like make best of a shitty situation kind of deal. And it was an interesting time. We graduated because in Mexico you graduate in the ninth grade. So we graduated, stayed the next year. That's where things started getting rough. I started getting into what they say would call trouble. I guess being a smart elect to the teacher if they didn't like you anything that you said, and so they give it's called then monastasion, but it's I guess the equivalent to like a demerit or something here. I guess you get so many of those. They pull you out of school and they make you work. I remember there was a time where this was when I was actually pulled out of class and made the new manual labor. All day they were redoing the whole basketball court concrete, and so my job was to handmake bricks. Well it was a machine, but we'd like hand mix the contry. I remember they drove us out way out to the coast. This is in Baja California. So we went out to close to some Philippe, which is on the inside of the Baja California, to this gravel pit. And it was like three three of us guys. We were all in trouble, so we were, you know, serving out our sentences in manual labor. They take us to this gravel pit. We loaded up on this dump truck. Very safe procedure, by the way, driving one hundred and fifty miles on the back of a truck full of gravel. I remember, we loaded up, bring it back, and our job was to make concrete and bricks and then we had to lay out all this concrete on a new basketball court. So you have that that work, and then you know you you then go to your dorm and finish out, and on top of that, you do your you do your school work, you go to school, and then you work at this at this school, so in order to stay in the dorm and all.
Speaker 1: Of that, pay in your own way.
Speaker 5: But through many Yeah, they had a labor piece of it and then the school the education piece of it.
Speaker 1: So if you get enough.
Speaker 5: Of these demerits, you just do manual labor all day long while everybody else goes to school.
Speaker 1: And I got to that point. I got enough of those where I got to that point.
Speaker 5: So I think it was like seven after ten you get kicked out of school completely. And I remember this time it was on me. I'll admit it. There's a girl's dorm that's a couple of football fields away from the guy's dorm. Keep them separate, right, One night, I snuck out with my girlfriend at the time, and a couple other buddies went with their girlfriends too. Keep in mind the way I was brought up, I had not kissed a girl before. Holding hands was you know, saying yes. So, you know, me and this girl were hanging out in the South Alfa field by this water pump. I remember, we didn't do anything. We went out there, we were talking all night, you know, and these two other couples, who knows what they were doing. I mean obviously by sound, maybe you know what they were doing, but I was very oblivious. So, you know, somebody ritted us out.
Speaker 4: But it was completely innocent.
Speaker 5: And what adult are you going to tell that we didn't do anything and they're going to believe you exactly, So somebody dined us out. The group of us that had gone out there, we were all from the United States, and so six of us got suspended. Five of us went back to our homes in the United States. The one that had the opportunity to stay back in Mexico was me. My parents. I think their mindset was that it was going to be a more of a reward than a punishment if they allowed me to come back home on a suspension. So they decided they were going to send me to an orphanage, which was quite a distance away from where we were at at the boarding school that hadn't been started yet. It was his family that you know American family that started this orphanage down in Mexico. They were trying to build it. It wasn't up and running, but I guess I was their first orphan because that's where I got sent for a week week or two weeks or something like that to serve out my suspension for sneaking out my girlfriend.
Speaker 4: So where was Francisco at this time?
Speaker 5: He was still in school here, He's still the boarding, had not been in trouble.
Speaker 4: So was he staying out of trouble for the most part.
Speaker 5: There was a time where my brother, I don't know what he had done, but he had a a heart this heart thing, and the principle of the school in our dormitory punched him in the chest and I found out about it, and I immediately went in there. And this guy could tell that he was going to have a rough go at it. My brothers obviously, you know, he was wheezing, he was in pain, and I had some choice words for the principle of this school to the point where he got he was you could tell he was visibly scared, like he knows he probably should not have done that, especially to one of the American students that like actually paid for their schooling, to the point where he told me go ahead and just I'll give you a you can go ahead and punch me. I was like, I'm not going to hit you, you know, but I just want you to know that it's not cool. And you know, so obviously it didn't come out in physical violence. It just I was extremely defensive of my brother at that time, and he.
Speaker 1: Could tell.
Speaker 3: I know, you said that they would make you do manual labor if you got in trouble. But where the kids subjected the violence, See.
Speaker 5: That was not that I was aware of, but he had and that was what struck me as you know, very very different and odd for us being the American kids in Mexico school. Yeah, we certainly always looked down upon as like the pocho, so the you know, the that's what they called this year of poltr like a you know, we we weren't Mexican. And then I still.
Speaker 2: Want to know what that means, Like I don't know that mean, what's.
Speaker 5: Like it's an American Mexican but like less than really so growing up too, that was another thing. And here in America, a lot of people look at you as a Mexican kid, right, some illegal alien. I was born in the United States. I was raised in the United States. Proud to be an American.
Speaker 1: Grandfather served for the United States.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so you get looked at like that here in America and then you go to Mexico and you get looked at the same way by Mexicans and who are these American little American kids? So yeah, we were treated differently, for sure. But that that punch when he decided he wants to physically assault my brother, I don't know what. I don't I'd have to I have to double check my brother. I don't remember what he did, but yeah, I was It was.
Speaker 1: Certainly one of those things.
Speaker 5: I was like, no, no, Actually, now that I think about it, that was the first time that I felt real, true, like anger to the point that I wanted to get.
Speaker 1: Physical gum starts any one, all of it.
Speaker 5: You know, your face is burning, you can't see anything but the anger that you have, and you just want to do something extremely hurtful to someone. I want to say that was probably one of the first times where I actually experienced that much anger.
Speaker 4: So when did your time in Mexico come to a close?
Speaker 5: I think I got kicked out. I was looking at my files the other day and I think I got kicked out, But I know I didn't want to be there.
Speaker 1: My brother stayed there.
Speaker 5: Longer, and I want to say it's because he had a girlfriend, but I came back.
Speaker 1: I couldn't stay there anymore.
Speaker 3: So how do you feel like your childhood prepared you for this Marine Corps boot camp experience?
Speaker 5: So that's where I can, you know, give a little you know, pat on the back to the how conservative Christian religious we were raised. I think a lot of that discipline had a lot to do with it, because we did we were disciplined. We got our asses whooped if we did something wrong. We were always obeying. If we didn't obey, we knew we were going to get something. The resiliency piece came from just the outdoor living. You know how we'd go hiking. Even when we moved away from that place, you know, we still I've always enjoyed just being outdoors in the mountains. The mountains for me are where it's at. Yeah, we had the beach half an hour way, but for me, it was like, let me go up to Palmer Observatory up in the mountains, So I think that was the resiliency piece there that like for me crawling through mud, artillery stuff going off in the shooting.
Speaker 1: That training they put.
Speaker 5: You where you're going through the barbed wire and they have this sound system with a you know, it was more of an adventure. Yeah, it sucked, but it was just like I'm going to do this. You know, I'm low crawling through there, through the mud, getting dirty. I didn't care. It wasn't anything I wasn't used to running. Yeah, you know, suck, but like, just get it over with.
Speaker 1: You're a lot more aerodynamic than I was.
Speaker 2: It had to translate though, for you had to have regard good batter and different from your childhood. You were able to translate so much of the way you were raised into that environment because it's so much the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's that's why I don't know that I've ever been resentful to a certain extent with certain things I do question, like the religious piece, but as far as how I was raised, it made me who I am today. So for me to come down on my mom or my stepdad or anything like that, you know, I wouldn't do. I have questions for them, and some sort of explanation, yes, but more so to have an understanding as opposed to creating like this hostile like, Oh, I'm so pissed at you guys for raising me this way. It's at the point where I met in my life. It doesn't have anything to do with that. Just that is I'm here now because of the way that I was raised. That's really what it comes down to, regardless of all this.
Speaker 3: So you get through boot camp and then experience combat through two deployments in Iraq. Tell us about your first deployment.
Speaker 5: We flew into Kuwait. We are artillery, so we have to tow our stuff everywhere. So we had to tow our guns from Kuwait all the way up to Fallujah and that was that was a joy. It was a multi day convoy. There was one point where, you know, we stopped and we were fueling up and providing security.
Speaker 1: They made a group of us go up on this.
Speaker 5: Berm and I remember the sergeant that was in charge of our team. He did not like me at all. He was an asshole to me. And you're telling me to do so, I'm going to do it, like I'm not going to backlip you or anything. We go up, we do the security call us back and as we're coming down this berm, it's long filled before MSR mobile or.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was.
Speaker 5: He gets a call over the colms and he's everybody stop, you know, stop, they're telling him whatever.
Speaker 1: He's like, Romero commune.
Speaker 5: So I go over there and he's like, walk up to the trucks, watch your feet right, Like okay, you know, I'm thinking this guy's being an asshole. And to this day, maybe maybe this whole thing was.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I still don't know if it was true or not. But in any case, they said there was mins lamb mines in this open field because of the way that he treated me. I was not looking at my feet. I was dragging my feet through that and I heard him everybody following Romero's footsteps, don't step anywhere he doesn't step, And I did walk right through it up to the trucks, get there. The CEO comes over, you know, with the battery gunny and they're like, hey, thank you Merrinaah okay, and I'm like, yeah, you know, and I don't remember how it came up, but something about my daughter and my wife and battery gun He's like, you know, Sergeant x y Z. You know, he's like the last time that you have a married marine, do that, right. So I don't know if it was a huge prank or what, but I remember being extremely pissed about it after, not even at the time, after, I was like, out there.
Speaker 1: What an asshole.
Speaker 5: It just made me hate him so much that I could care less about like him telling me like I thought he was messing with me. Like I seriously thought this guy was just being an asshole to me. I still to this day don't know if it was a massive prank or not, but it just it was one of those things where I.
Speaker 1: Was like, okay, just go with it.
Speaker 2: But do you think looking back now, knowing how many I mean in the minds you're talking about that they were probably Russian minds. I mean they were all over the place, They're everywhere. Well, I mean it was just stay in the tracks. It was one of the things you always heard every single day. Stay in the tracks, Stay in the tracks, Stay in the tracks, to the point to where like you you were nervous without trying to be nervous because of how much it was, like it's such a big deal, and it's like, look at some point you just get so tired, hungry, and there's see an exhaustedge. You're like, I look, I don't care if I deviate from the tracks for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Oh well, like, who cares?
Speaker 2: It's gonna And then I mean they weren't even talking about the improvised explosive devices. These were Russian minds left over by Russia that are all over that country.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Again, it was one of those things where it's like I didn't take them seriously, so I just trudged it right through.
Speaker 2: That's one of those things where you know this why the saying goes ignorance is bliss.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that you didn't trigger one, you didn't trip one like that, being an MPT and that cool. Yeah I believe that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, we are artillery, so as far as like us being tight, I guess you could say it was a different dynamic because in artillery you have your own guns.
Speaker 1: So we have used six gun.
Speaker 5: Paws, right Hautzer, Yeah, one, nine or eight at the time she got switched out to a triple seven. But your gun, your section, your gun section was extremely tight. That group of seven, six people very very closely connected with one another, everybody else will You don't really have time to interact because you're on your own guns. I think we were the first Alpha battery first pause, like static pause in Fallujah to get set up and dug in that we shot out of. So we provided security sixty security around the camp Fallujah, and so yeah, I was really close with with my my section, with the exception of our section chief. He didn't like me or Sanchez.
Speaker 1: Either a different battles.
Speaker 5: You know, I didn't care it just at the time, it was like do this, do that, I'm going to do it. What I do remember is in that static pause we took income in mortar fire all the time, not close, but over the months that we were there, they were walking it closer and closer to us.
Speaker 1: You could tell.
Speaker 5: One rocket did hit in front of our gun, gun six, but it didn't. It was a dut It didn't blow up, big tang. It was all twisted up in front of but it didn't. It didn't blow up. But there was time when we first got there, I'm talking fresh, we had just planted. We just got our the one nine erra planted. All the other guns were set up. We had the three sixty going. So we were setting up our space, you know. So we were digging our foxhole, and I remember me and and my buddy. We were standing and we were digging our foxhol This evening now was pretty dark. Mortar had hit a fuel bladder in Camphallujah. Because it just started getting really bright. We both stood up and there's more mortar fire. It's like exploding. This was a distance off. It wasn't like like danger near or close. But the corporal comes and grabs both of us, throws us in our house.
Speaker 1: What are you guys doing? Get in your hole and.
Speaker 5: We're like, you know, we're watching it like the fourth of July. We had no clue. So yeah, that was interesting. One of those other other things. It's like kind of I guess ignorance. At the time, we're just like, well, it doesn't register that we're in a combat zone kind of like it did, but at that time it didn't. It was weird, and I would consider us our first deployment. We had it semi easy. Really, we were on a static pause. They started moving us over a month's in because obviously we had we were providing initial security when we got there, all six guns. But then they moved it to two guns at a time, so they put us back on in the like they had little houses like trailer kind of set up, so we had to stay in these things. We get to go to the cafeteria, the PX and stuff. So probably more like an O three eleven job, like where you guys are constantly out there.
Speaker 1: We sometimes had it easy.
Speaker 5: We would be able to shower and stuff, but it was still sucked, you know, with fire, and then we'd have to go out and you know, do recon on whatever, you know, whatever we did, and then they put us on security for Fallujah, this little like little base that they had before you went into Fallujah. Interestingly enough, I believe it's where the army was doing their thing out of there, and it's where people who probably got their stuff destroyed by us would come and get money to repair their stuff. So we were providing security there, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Tell me about your second deployment and what it was like transitioning back into civilian sector after those experiences.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the second deployment was a lot more difficult because we went as provisional rifle. We were no longer artillery. We weren't doing our jobs. They give us the training to do provisional rifle, but we were infantry at that point. We were providing security for the border on Jordan and Syria. So our platoon got split up, so a lot of us were really close. You know, half of us ended up on the Jordan side, half of us ended up on the Syria and all on the Iraq side.
Speaker 2: But like Georgia, I was about to say, like you need to probably clarify that right now, the Iraq side, but we were split up.
Speaker 1: Be good.
Speaker 2: I just want to, you know, because I mean that just two Avoulden International incident.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, yeah, we were on on Iraq side. We're doing border security for those borders there people coming in from Syria, people coming in from Jordan, so that was a lot more difficult. That was where you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think those boarders were very active. Yeah, we saw.
Speaker 5: That's where I saw a lot of like the more you know, things that we didn't see in our prior But we were just shooting ship far away here.
Speaker 1: Now we were in it.
Speaker 5: You know, we were pulling people out of their houses, doing sword searches, cording and searches, closing off highways, doing searches on cars.
Speaker 1: You're grunt, You're stuck in deployment, You're a grunt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that I think was a little more tense. But that's when after coming back from that second deployment more so did I remember in you know, conversing with my buddies, I started to really feel the effect of you know, didn't call it trauma at the time, or PTS or anything at the time.
Speaker 1: It was just I knew there.
Speaker 5: Was something different about me to cope with that. I was the only marine in our group that lived off base. Every single weekend, everybody was at my house. Probably not good for my marriage. I'm pretty sure that's probably why we ended up splitting.
Speaker 1: You get that close with people.
Speaker 5: At least for me, it was very difficult to not be with them anymore once you get back. In order to continue having that, we'd all be at my house and drinking, having a good time. You know, never really did anything crazy on lawful or anything like that, but it was just really us, you know, in the camaraderie that we had. We just always wanted to be close. Of course, your spouse doesn't understand that, so they want to understand that you're back with them and their family unit I had a daughter at the time, and I remember I have I have pictures of everything, like every she got along with all of my buddies. She was always there until she had to go down to bed. I'd be making hot dogs. She'd come and just kind of everybody just we'd goof around and so she wasn't part of it. Like the drinking part that came usually after, but that happened a lot, almost every weekend. It was almost every single weekend, I remember, and I think that led more into the drinking on my own, you know where It wasn't just the weekend drinking with the buddies until you puke. It was every evening you have to drink something in order to feel okay.
Speaker 1: It continued.
Speaker 5: I went through a whole program in the Marine Corps. I don't know if you know, but they offer a program for people drinking. You go meet with the staff sergeant. He makes you, he gives you, assigns you these tasks. You have to go to AA They give you a certificate after saying that you're no longer an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I knew that they offered something, but I didn't I know that like three quarters of my company should have done whatever program is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went through it.
Speaker 5: I don't know that it helped, but I did it more so because they had made me a section chief. I had picking up a meritorious corporal in my first deployment, meritorious sergeant in the second deployment, and so now the next step was section chief. I was an excellent marine. I excelled at being a marine. I worked really hard. But there was that drinking thing that was for me, and you know it was I did it on my own. Nobody told me I had to go do this. I was like, hey, I think I have a problem with drinking. I'm going to go do this was a section chief. We went out, we did a training shooting and they called a ceasefire.
Speaker 1: To the rear.
Speaker 5: The peace fall in on my gun and I was like, okay, well we shot out. And when they called that, you can't touch your knobs on the guns or anything. They send people to investigate to see what angle and what. You know, we're all, you know, have my gun up front, and and I'm already a wreck mentally, you know, not enough that I would make some disastrous mistake. But you're in Camp Penalton, you're like, our guns can certainly reach to the surrounding cities.
Speaker 2: Now, what's the max Just to give the audience an idea, what's the max effective range?
Speaker 5: Thirty kilometers I think on a nature round. Okay, so fifteen sixteen miles long. Yeah, and so you know, they go check it out. And at that point I checked out in my brain, Like I checked out. I was like, Okay, turns out I didn't shoot out. It was another another battery up over some other hill. They ended up they were the ones that shot out, and I was kicking myself in the ass about it, but it was still some mental thing that checked out for me. After that training being out in the field that got back. I went in and I told battery gun. I was like, I can't continue doing this. I don't want to be Section chief anymore. I'm you know, I'm not being a pussy. I guess you could say, right, because that's the stigma. If there's something wrong with your mind, you're a little bitch yep. But I was very honest about it. I was like, there's something going on. I don't know what it is. And they were to a certain extent understanding about it. Really now that I think about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I went and I talked with the psychologist, but they were going to put me on a very low dosage of something right, and so an opportunity to go out to Horno on the range presented itself. Go figure this guy that thinks he may have a mental issue, it.
Speaker 1: Was, find another spot for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at the range with a one hundred target man front and you're going to be one of the range person all over there. Any case, it wasn't. It wasn't to that extent. I didn't feel psychotic or anything like that. It was just something different about me was happening. But I really loved working at the range.
Speaker 1: It was. It was an awesome job.
Speaker 5: That was close to the point where I was due for reenlistment or time to get out.
Speaker 1: I had gotten my paperwork.
Speaker 5: I was in line to be promoted for staffsh sergeant if I stayed in. But my spouse at the time was willing to work on the relationship if I got out. I don't think she was now I think about it, and I'm to blame too. There was, you know, some infidelity stuff that we were working through, but I did. I got out to save my relationship. Mostly because I didn't want to lose my daughter. And it all happened anyways, I got out, and you know, it wasn't long after that we ended up separating and divorcing, and so my daughter I got to see her often at the beginning, but the individual that she met, this guy she was with, they ended up getting married and moving very far away with good three hour drive, and so that was extremely difficult for me because I no longer had my daughter and felt like a lot of this was my fault because of you know, stupid decisions that I had.
Speaker 3: Made during this time. What was your relationship like with your twin brother, Francisco.
Speaker 5: So this is a difficult period in my life, and I'm sure it was difficult for him to see his brother in the state that he was. Wasn't the same happy, go lucky guy that he was before he joined them course, so I know it was a difficult transition for him for my family. I remember there was one night I had been extremely intoxicated. I want to say I don't I don't know that he was drinking, but I was for sure, and I was down in the kitchen and it all blew up that night. I think as a matter of fact, now I think about it, I think my mom was living with us at the time too, and so there was the clan match. You know, she was there, he was there. They were blaming me for some stuff that was happening, and you know, I was extremely frustrated and visibly angry. I remember to the point where my brother was frightened and he pulled a knife out of a carving block knife thing, and I don't know if it was the Marine Corps instinct, but it automatically kicked in and I slapped it out of his hand, and I remember his face. He was extremely surprised that that had happened so quickly, that he had drawn a weapon and it had been you know, had and I think a lot of it had to do it, like he was scared that, like I had injured myself or cut myself on this blade. So I remember that it wasn't a fun night, you know. After the healing and all of that, you know, there was a lot of friction, I guess the best way to say it, for a while because of the whole family dynamic thing. It didn't last long, of course, but there was a point where my mental health had really affected my relationship with my brother, and so I had to live with that, and the drinking just kept getting worse and worse. Ended up meeting, you know, in a couple of relationships, but ended up meeting one girl a lot younger than me as far as maturity too, and we ended up getting married. She had her things as far as being young and wanting to still live. Whereas I was, you know, in my thirties, she was mid younger twenties, twenty two twenty three at the time, I think, And so I don't know that she would have not cheated on me if I had, you know, because there was a lot going on with me, just a lot with the drinking, the depression. What I didn't know was PTS at the time, but was you know, certainly presenting itself. We'd bought a house together, but the drinking was really bad. Our relationship Chip was very a lot of turmoil. Never any physical abuse, but a lot of you know, mental psychological stude soxic. Yeah, and I know it was hard for her for sure. This is when I hit rock bottom.
Speaker 1: Was this whole.
Speaker 5: I wasn't really aware of her cheating at the time, but I was a mess. And then we had separated. She said, well, I just need my space. I'll stay in the house. Okay, I'll go find something else. I ended up coming back to my house and caught her with this guy in my house. That was really like the rock bottom for me. I had gone out on a motorcycle ride up in Pelamar Mountain, very curvey roads back there. We were headed up the back route to Julian. I was lead coming around a really tight corner that I completely figured out about.
Speaker 1: I'd been up this way before.
Speaker 5: Ended up, you know, trying to figure out how to correct, ended up in the wrong side of the road, and there was a car coming and head on with this vehicle threw me off my bike. My buddy in back of me was filming it on go Bro. He won't show he'd never showed me the video. He wouldn't showed me the video, he says it's too graphic. And I was in the hospital and this was a god moment for me. One more foot to the left, I would have been inside the car for sure, Like I hit the front driver's side corner and got launched out into the road.
Speaker 1: But it could have been a lot worse. Are you so? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I was sober. I was sober, but I was I was. I think I was probably being reckless. I would probably going too too fast, if you know, thinking back on it, I don't. Suicidal ideation is hard to to identify in the past, right. I can identify it now, you know, as a as a thing. When I'm talking to individuals and experiencing, you know, suicidal ideation or thoughts, you can identify it. I can't look back on my life and think that, like, oh, maybe that was you know, intentional as far as you know, some form of ideation of not being around anymore. Right, the recklessness driving on your bike too fast, there was probably some of that going on in my mind. I can't pinpoint it. But it was a god moment. I was in the hospital. I had ready known that my wife was cheating on me. She didn't come see me, her sister and her mom came out, and so after I got out, they told me I had to spend a month in bed, and I did. And this was really my time to connect with God. It's when I started seeking help, mental health, professional help, and really started getting things on track. But I stopped drinking cult turking like nothing, and that lasted quite a long time, and things just started connecting for me. At that point, I had been working this job. They were actually very gracious about giving me the time off for my accident.
Speaker 1: But I hated it. I hated the job it was.
Speaker 5: It was fine because it paid the bills. I didn't mind like working, right. It just took me a really long time to realize that finance like banking was not my world. I don't mean I hate like, I just it wasn't my world. So it took a really long to eight eight years or something like that. And so after the divorce and all of that is when I started talking to my now wife, Yay, who was living in Texas. We had, as I had mentioned before, we had gone to school together, and as a matter of fact, before that ninth tenth, eleventh grade, we actually had gone to middle school, like second or third grade together years ago, and so known each other for a very long time. We started talking, and you know, she had always had a huge crush and she'd admitted, but she wasn't wanting to come back. She had come out to Texas when she was like eighteen, she'd been here forever. I wasn't really enjoying my job, and so obviously the right move was going to be me coming out to Texas, not her coming to Californ. We talked about it, but she was a school teacher. She was very you know, she had her shit together, you know, good head on her shoulders. She'd fly over here, I'd fly over you know, or vice versa. Right, And so I came out here with no clue what I was going to do. I had a lot of my credits already, and I was studying for international business. I needed one more class to graduate with my international business degree. But I went in and I talked to the veteran counselor or whatever the at TCC, this community college, and I was like, here's the deal. This is what I want to do. I want to help people. How can I help people? And she and I told her, I said, I think I'd love I'd love to do, you know, teach. I would love to be a teacher. Not the younger grades, maybe high school or something, you know, where the minds are a little more mouldible. And she's like, well, have you ever thought of social work? And I was like, oh, the guys that work in hospitals, right, I get so much more than that. There's so many different things that you can do with a social work degree. Started talking and she brought up veterans working with veterans, and I was like, I'm in I tell this people all the time. Yeah, it sounds cliche, but I'm I'm working my dream job. It's not easy, it's challenging, af but it's rewarding to know that you're working for something that's saving lives.
Speaker 1: I think that's.
Speaker 5: Really what it boils down to.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day.
Speaker 5: There's going to be challenges, but that resiliency that we've built and built over our lives, it's really coming into play because it's not easy leading.
Speaker 1: I think it's to a certain extent, it.
Speaker 5: Does take a toll. It's taxing, but is it worth it. Absolutely it is. To be able to be a part of, you know, making a change in mental health and breaking stigmas and helping our first responders and our heroes out there, it's just an amazing feeling.
Speaker 2: It's one of the reasons that I believe you're exactly where you're supposed to be. I believe that you're a gift to humanity, and it has everything to do with the scars you can't see, you know. I mean that's why I think, even though you're a self proclaimed introvert and that you're a gamer and you build your oll computers and crap like it's you're exactly where you're supposed to be. And everything's happened is and we've talked at length about this. Everything's happened exactly the way it's supposed to happen. And you know, I'm just I'm honored to do this alongside you. Thank you so so actually, and our fortunate not to get to work with you and Francisco and we see it. But for the people listening, what's your relationship with your with your brother and your mom?
Speaker 1: Now, it's good.
Speaker 5: With my brother. I don't know that there's a day that we don't talk to each other, not just because he works here, even outside of work, but we're always texting back and forth. You know, we we're tight, We're really close. As a matter of fact, it didn't take him but a year and a half maybe two years to leave California and come to Texas after I came to Texas. So just see, you know, to explain the gravity of our relationship and how close we are.
Speaker 1: That's that's what happened.
Speaker 5: Is his spouse now jokes about it and she's like, I knew it, Like I knew that as soon as as soon as Lucky in Mo he's gonna leave, He's gonna leave too, So to be expected, we're really close. I me and my brother have an amazing relationship.
Speaker 1: He's helped out a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mom's always been an amazing woman. Granted, I think she was pulled into something a lot further into something because of her past and what she needed out of this religion that I don't know that it was ever in a vindictive type way, sending us down to Mexico or I think it was really what she knew at the time was going to be the best for us. She's always taken care of us and still that working spirit in us. So she's an amazing woman. We're close. She's still back in California. I haven't I need to go visit her, but you know, we're close because of some of the stuff that she'd been through. I know there's been some challenges that she's faced and struggles that she had, but we talk often as well. As a matter of fact, I think she's talking about a move out to Texas, which would be great. I'd love to have her here. But we're good, weird good, Okay.
Speaker 4: So why can we ask every guest three questions? The first being.
Speaker 3: Looking back on your life's journey, is there a person or an organization that's really made an impact on you?
Speaker 5: That's a tough question. I don't know how to answer that, honestly. If we're calling it an organization, the Marine Corps, for sure, that's at one of the biggest impacts of my life. I don't think it defines my life being a marine, it's certainly a big part of it. An old pastor that I had, ironically, was very supportive, I guess you could say, of everything, because he married me, he did our wedding, and then he was who I went to when I was talking about our divorce. So I think when I associate that religion, he was a pastor of this religion. To his complete non judgmental attitude about everything in my life, I think he was probably pretty pivotal as far as that's concerned, ironically, because religion. Yeah, so yeah, my daughter, for sure. I think if there's anything that I can draw a ton of inspiration from it's just the love that I have for her and what i'd like to say, and that the love that she has for me, because we have a really good relationship.
Speaker 4: So it's amazing.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: I already know it's not enough of and I'm guilty as charge as well. You know I've been on each other boat for quite some time. But the second question, I just I'm going to own the accountability.
Speaker 1: You got to own it. What do you do to recharge and relax?
Speaker 5: What do I do to recharge or what do I wish I could do to charge and relax? Are two different things? Yeah, either or So for me, it's nature. I really love being out in the mountains. Of course in Texas, you don't see many of those out here, so that part's difficult, so hiking or whatever I can do here. The other big one is gaming. Of course, should be no joke to anyone out there. I'm a huge gamer. That's really something that I can do. That is kind of a way for me to get out of my mind sometimes get myself into another world or whatever the case is. I'm a huge rem player World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy Online and first time ever in my life. This past weekend, I actually was able to enjoy my first Dungeon and Dragon session with the group that we finally were able to get together for this. So I'd been wanting to get into it for a while. I just we've never had the people that do it. I met somebody not too long ago via my wife who was a big fan of the game, and he was like, oh, we should totally. I built this whole game table around it. I'll show you a picture later, but we actually got to play on it last night for our first ever Dungeons and Dragon session.
Speaker 1: Was amazing.
Speaker 5: I had a whole bunch of fun.
Speaker 2: And you've opened up my eyes, our eyes, yes to there's even a therapeutic element that comes into play with it, so much so that we're developing a gaming program.
Speaker 4: That's right with one tri foundation.
Speaker 5: Surely I believe that strongly in it, that yeah, that there is a therapeutic component to gaming and not just sitting in front of a computer, but you know, getting around a table with your friends and with your family. It's part of that holistic mental health care that people need out there. That maybe it's tailored to you so right, and I know it's tailored to me.
Speaker 4: So our final question is what feeds your soul?
Speaker 5: Good people feed my soul. Being around people who are as passionate as I am feeds my soul. Being able to help people and being able to watch the transition in people is amazing for me. And on top of everything, my relationship with God. I'm not going to bring up the whole religious piece. It is the spiritual relationship that I have with a non judgmental God that knows that I mess up on the daily but still you know, understanding that I do my best to be a good person and he knows that if it's not enough and I don't, you know, get to be with him, well maybe God isn't for me then, But I choose to not believe that.
Speaker 1: I choose to believe.
Speaker 5: That my relationship with God is really something that is important for me. I maybe it's not for everybody, but it is for me. It helps me wake up in the morning and it helps me sleep at ease at night.
Speaker 3: So well, Keene Rameira, thank you so much for being on the good stuff. You truly inspire us on the daily basis, and we're just we're grateful to call you brother and friend.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I know that you know because I've told you, but so the listeners know you've been there for me in a way that most people can't. And I'm very, very grateful for that, appreciated and it's something that you know and that you know I don't take lightly. You truly, in every sense of the phrase, have.
Speaker 1: Made me a better human.
Speaker 2: So thank you, bro, and thanks for taking time out of our work schedule for you to do this.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely, that's the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Because of the scars of this man in the victory, he finds in his vulnerability he is able to empower people to live healthy, well lived lives.
Speaker 3: Absolutely from his rough beginnings too, now he is just leading the charge and helping people on the daily basis.
Speaker 2: He's absolutely channeled his pain into power and now it's affecting in a great way in the best way. Pop School the borders well outside this great state of Texas.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: If this episode touched you today, please share it and be part of making someone else's day better.
Speaker 1: Put on your bad ass caves and go be great today.
Speaker 2: And remember you can't do epic stuff without epic people. Thank you for listening. To the good Stuff. The Good Stuff is executive produced by Ashley Schick, Jacob Schick, Leah Pictures and q Code Media, Hosted.
Speaker 1: By Ashley Shick and Jacob Shick, Produced by Nick.
Speaker 2: Cassolini and Ryan Countzouse Post production Supervisor Will Tindy. Music editing by Will Haywood Smith, edited by Mike Robinson.