Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jettie and now he Armstrong and Jetty.
Speaker 3: The President getting ready to announce tariffs on at least, as he puts it, basically every country on Earth, every country that has import duties on US goods that starts Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Then on Thursday.
Speaker 3: In addition to the existing tariffs on aluminium steel, President Trump will impose a whopping twenty five percent tariff on all foreign made cars and auto parts right.
Speaker 4: Which, as we mentioned, polls show people expect prices to go up short term in about half the country things they're going to stay up long term. But here's someone on Trump's site explaining why this is a good long term plan.
Speaker 5: The President has a high threshold for pain because these tear people.
Speaker 2: Well, but also for his own political pay.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's taking a long term approach, which is actually kind of refreshing in American politics now. Whether he's right or wrong, but he's doing two things that are really really unusual in Washington. He's taking a long term view, and he's not listening to the critics.
Speaker 4: And now here's Stephen Miller, who would get more traction with more people if he didn't look like an evil villain. Since he's portrayed as an evil villain by the Left, he just happens to look like one from a movie.
Speaker 6: President Trump is resetting the entire global market by saying, number one, you can't steal our jobs. Number two, if you want to get preferential treatment, you have to put your factory inside the United States. You want to sell it to Americans on a preferential basis.
Speaker 2: Then you have to make it here.
Speaker 6: And if you do, you'll get low taxes, low regulations, and cheap energy. But if you sell it to us from overseas, then yes, you will pay a tariff.
Speaker 4: So the not even pushback, but question that a lot one of us have, I think, is so, how is so is General Motors going to build more plants in the night? How long does it take to build a car plant? They're going to build a plant in the next three years, even though the next president might do away with these, so you could keep.
Speaker 2: Building them in Mexico or wherever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, there's a reasonable likelihood of that. I mean, it would be bad, but yeah, I was going to bring up the fact that the Trump administration has done fabulous things so far that have been cruelly under reported at deregulation, reducing the regulatory weight on American businesses and make it easier to build factories and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But it's still enormous undertaking.
Speaker 1: I mean, it takes years, months and many months, if not several years of planning before you break ground.
Speaker 4: Well, and but you'd also have the reality of So I'm General Motors and I said, Okay, this is the new world we live in. We're going to build a plant in Indiana, and we're going to make our our Chevy trucks one hundred percent here to avoid the tariffs.
Speaker 2: And you're editor, say, Ford.
Speaker 4: Sticks it out somehow, and then next administration, when the tariffs go away, your competitor can make the truck so much cheaper right wherever they're making them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, build their profit.
Speaker 1: And loss projections on both plans, and figure out, all right, how do we lose the least money.
Speaker 2: Ride it out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get kicked in the butt for the next three and a half years, We're gonna pay tariffs, gonna hurt our sales. But if we conform, and then the laws change again, we would lose you know, ginormous amounts of money and have to rebuild our plant in Mexico or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Long, And that's the interesting thing about Trump, and it bothers me, although I'm waiting to see how this all shakes out, because often, you know, Trump throws so many headfakes out there you don't know where he's actually going, which is like completely unprecedented because presidents don't.
Speaker 2: Want to do that.
Speaker 1: They don't want to spook the markets, they don't want to freak out big American businesses. And so it's wild that he's this cavalier about causing you know, shock in horror and or pearl clutching. If it just ends up with being a reordering of the post WW two trade norms where of course we did charge us big tariffs because we're in economic colossus. We won't charge you because you got to get back on your feet. We understand that completely. If that's going to go away through this, great it's fabulous.
Speaker 2: So here is a question rather than a statement.
Speaker 4: I have said this before, but I've never read this anywhere, and I never hear anybody bring this up. So One of the things you regularly hear people say is, well, what's an American car company even mean anymore? Because I bought a Toyota truck that's built in Indiana. But and this is my question, Now, maybe there's something I'm missing here. If Ford gets in trouble, GM gets in trouble, Chrysler gets in trouble, it becomes a national crisis. The federal government steps in bails them out because we can't have these giant companies fail. That's never happened with Toyota or Volkswagen, these foreign companies. So obviously we're not It's not our job to make sure Toyota do is okay, but it is our job as a nation to make sure.
Speaker 2: GM stays in business.
Speaker 4: So then what sense is a Toyota made Indiana good for America?
Speaker 2: I don't get that.
Speaker 1: If I mean, the jobs at that plant are nice, but it's still a foreign company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they pay all.
Speaker 1: Sorts of taxes, and you know, it generates a tremendous amount of revenue for the US. But yeah, the profits end up in a foreign bank unless they keep it in a US bank.
Speaker 2: So what does that even mean?
Speaker 1: Well, we obviously I've never heard anybody care if Toyota is struggling right in the United States, But we do care if GM is struggling.
Speaker 2: Right you know.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's a complicated question and I'm not really qualified to answer it.
Speaker 2: It has to do it. I just want to make this email or text.
Speaker 1: Why it seems to me to put a lie to the what's what's an American car?
Speaker 2: Anyway? This Toyota's made Indiana? Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, like I just said, nobody cares if Toyota does well or not as a company right right, and their stock is listed I don't know where the stock is listed.
Speaker 2: For instance.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking if I mean, if you have thousands and thousands of employees and you're paying zillions of dollars in property tax, you probably have incentives, but uh, property tax and sales tax, income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes at the point of sale, you know, just all of that stuff, and then your profits end up in a Japanese added Japanese headquarters, except you're almost certainly investing them in the American stock market. But if you remember, like during the Obama administration, we had to bail out GM to the tune of tens or hundreds of billions of dollars. It was a big deal, and it was like a you know, whipped up national mood that we've got to have this, We've got to have them American car companies succeed.
Speaker 2: How does that fit in with the whole thing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Toyota, and so I've never understood it, and I never hear anybody bring it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's seek out a guest who's who's really good at that sort of thing. Oh, what was the other thing I was going to bring up? Was kind of related, popped out of my head. Well, I'll pop back in eventually. I love that question. It's really interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring up the US Steel thing, which is was so silly because if US Steel was named Jones Steel, nobody had given a crap.
Speaker 4: I honestly believe this. Most people, like ninety percent of people, when they hear US Steel, I think it's the United States Steel industry. That's what they think they're hearing about. Really, yes, as opposed to that's the name of the company. It could be Bob Steele, like you just said, it's just US Steel. Yeah, huh So they're willing to do anything to protect us steel.
Speaker 1: I think let me tip my cap very briefly to how annoying Jake Tapper was in that clip we played coming back. Donald Trump is willing to endure some pain other people's pain, right, Jake, you're just your're That's not fair because Trump is really laying it on the line here for long term gain for the country, even if you think he's wrong, but he's really He's definitely a He's spending all his political capital on this because if it doesn't work, he'll go down in history as a ginormous failure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's spending the capital with the Senate and the House and the voter.
Speaker 4: And he didn't have to because he's riding high on all those things he ran on. He could have just stuck that out and tried to ride out four years and have been fine historically.
Speaker 2: So I do not think this is a safe play at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would agree. Coming up in moments, the battle is far from over. Woke watch our new feature walk Isn't Dead, and you get, oh no, Jack, you gotta stay and watch. He's the name who watch and you got everything turns to that's a good point.
Speaker 2: You gotta shout it like that too.
Speaker 1: Tweeted that out the other day, So stay with us. Say we haven't touched on the whole arrushed in illegals and booting them out story that continues to Royal DC maybe a little later. But first, welcome to woke watch. The battle is far from over all. Right that, let me try that again. Welcome to woke watch. The battle is just begun.
Speaker 2: Everything woke turns to ship. You know what woke means.
Speaker 7: It means you're a loser.
Speaker 1: Now it means you're a postmodernist Neil Marxist. Actually, a couple of stories worth bringing to your attention. There are two California bills to protect women's sports that are gonna go before.
Speaker 2: A committee here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And we have sources within the Capitol who are going to bring us the reality of what happens. The supermajority in cal Unicornia is unlikely to support the bills, despite Governor Newsom's recent comments tempe Charlie Kirk is tepit his hell comments. The chair of the hearing is also the head of the LGBTQ plus minus over the power of seven caucus.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's gonna go nowhere.
Speaker 1: Dudes will still beat the hell out of girls on the sports fields in California.
Speaker 2: How is this?
Speaker 1: I don't understand the politics of this. Its ideological insanity. It's blended them to everything and perhaps even worse. Although this already exists in California, Colorado is ramming through take your kids away and force your speech bill today. This bill will define misgendering as child abuse, wow, and coercive ConTroll of a child, bullying parents.
Speaker 4: My kid, My eight year old kid comes to me and says, you got to call me her and if I don't, Yes, it's the same as if I beat.
Speaker 2: Her, it's child abuse.
Speaker 1: Yes, So you either transition your child or you risk losing them. It will protect any parent who brings a child to Colorado for mutilation, negating all other state laws and court orders, just like cal Unicornia did becoming a transgender cruel experiment sanctuary stake. God help you if you have a spouse or an ex husband or wife who decides to do that.
Speaker 2: Who's fallen for the walk mind virus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll force all schools to comply with transitioning children, even explicitly attacking charter schools. And eliminating any gender dress code. It defines misgendering and dead naming. If you call your son Jim Jim after he's announced yesterday he's Jenny, it will be his discrimination for all Colorado businesses, which is essentially all citizens rights, erin for parental rights. This is the most radical bill I've ever seen anywhere, presented by the folks and sponsored by an appointed sex change extremist.
Speaker 2: That's a man. What a tough situation.
Speaker 1: I've got a good friend who's he and his wife their former daughter is now a dude, and they have gotten on board with it because he is in their mid twenties and you know, you want to have a relationship and you love them and blah blah blah, and what.
Speaker 2: Do you do? Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 1: Representative Jarvis Caldwell of Colorado said, this bill just got introduced late Friday evening. This is yesterday, said this, and we found out today it's scheduled for Judiciary Committee tomorrow, which is today. And it's radical. No time to a have, no time to coordinate testimony, no time to talk with stakeholders or constituents. And this is from the side of the aisle. That's constantly howling about democracy. What a kraka crap. Moving along, the organization overseeing museums celebrating English playwright William Shakespeare's life is reportedly willing working to decolonize his legacy in the name of battling white supremacy.
Speaker 4: Wow, this is where Western civilization really breaks down. You take maybe the greatest writer in the history of writing, and you're going to.
Speaker 2: Ruin it.
Speaker 4: For lack of a better word, You're you're gonna take it out of Western civilization.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You're going to crush it and make it so infamous nobody teaches it anymore because.
Speaker 2: He was white. That's right. More or less already has.
Speaker 1: The Telegraph reported that the Shakespeare's Birthplace Trust, a British nonprofit, is working toward quote unquote decolonizing its collection of Shakespeare related artifacts to create a more inclusive museum experience.
Speaker 2: It's been going on for years.
Speaker 4: Harold Bloom is that the name of the Yale professor who's the biggest Shakespeare expert in America written all these books. I've read several of them, and he said years ago, because I was watching an old Charlie Rose.
Speaker 2: I think this was in the late nineties, he.
Speaker 4: Said, nobody's teaching Shakespeare anywhere in the United States now, where it's not about how unrepresented women are in this play, or you know, slavery is blah blah blah. Nobody's just flat out teaching it anymore.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: Now Shakespeare, despite being born in fifteen sixty four and largely writing plays that took place in Western Europe, is being scrutinized for his alleged impact on colonialism. The process of decolonializing Shakespeare's work reportedly includes researching quote, the continued impact of colonialism on world history and the ways in which quote Shakespeare's work has played a part in this. This is a this is a successful civilization actually destroying itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is horrifying.
Speaker 1: Concerns have been raised that celebration of Shakespeare enables white supremacy right. The Trust also warned that some items in the collections and archives relating to the iconic sixteenth century playwright may contain quote, language or depictions that are racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise harmful.
Speaker 4: You could add my high school son to the list of people who would be perfectly fine with Shakespeare going away, as he's in the middle of his Romeo and Juliet course in English and hating it. It's it takes a little bit of work, yes, And then I wanted to get to this. This is such a classic example of how the permanent bureaucracy, as I call it, or maybe you call it the deep state, I think it's two spy novelly sounding.
Speaker 1: Perverts governance. This is a story from Georgia. The state's Department of Community Health asked in twenty fifteen to determine which insurance providers would administer medicaid to millions of people across the state. So it's a multi billion dollar contract for who's gonna administer dental coverage, and senior staffers hijack the process to in sort a question related to trans transgender children, according to internal documents, so it was a questionnaire of these companies, how do you handle this, how do you handle that? What's your priority? Here, here's a case study for you, how would you handle that? And again, these senior staffers inserted, and more or less the last minute, a question about a fourteen year old transgender, white female blah blah blah, if she came in to get a cavity filled how would you handle it? And they also apportioned a disproportionate number of points to the point system on how you answered that question. So unless you as a company essentially wrote well, because that's a perfectly legitimate thing and transgenderism Israel and the dentist would refer her him to immediately to a gender counseling office, which would offer them hormones and transition surgery if desired. That's what we would do the minute we met them. If you didn't answer like that, you were out of a multi billion dollar bid, that's DEI, that's Georgia. In spite of Brian Camp, Brian Kemp being anti all that stuff his bureaucracy did.
Speaker 2: It's rough. Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh, we haven't gotten to Kid Rock in the Oval office yesterday and what that was all about. It's an interesting topic actually, and the fact that Kid Rock broke her to deal between Trump and Bill Maher.
Speaker 4: So Trump is going to go talk to Bill Maher and do an interview. Oh wow, because Kid Rock's friends with both of them and put that together.
Speaker 2: And we ought to talk about the ticket broker thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Trump and Kid Rock announced because it's really interesting. So an additional perspective on a question we've asked, many, many times, what's it going to take for the Blue States of America the voters to finally understand that the terrible policies that have been enacted and ruined their states are at fault for their states being ruined and make a change politically speaking, to discuss. We've invited John phillips On. John is a California native. He's a longtime radio personality on the mighty seven to ninety KABC in Los Angeles, our belived affiliate, and starting today on a ten KSFO in the San Francisco Bay Area, columnists for the Orange County Register.
Speaker 2: Among other things, John always a pleasure. How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm great? And by the way, I can't wait to hear the Kid Rock segment because I don't know if you've seen how he's been dressing lately. Yeah, but it looks like Rod rot on the fourth of July.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's quite the outfit to wear to the Oval office. He makes Don King look reserved. Yeah, yeah, really amazing. So John, to the operative question here, why have and you're, you know, most expert in the ways of California, But why have the voters of California not risen up in a recognizable way yet and said, hey, are states gone to hell?
Speaker 2: We got to change course.
Speaker 7: Well, as an angel fan, I feel like i have an authority on this subject because I'm familiar with this and disappointment. But what's going on right now in California and in many of the blue states with one party rule is that it is possible to push too far. And that's exactly what the Democrats have been doing here in California. And it doesn't matter what subject you talk about, whether it's crime or homelessness, or the budget or insurance fill in the blank. They have dropped the ball and they have turned the Golden State, the most beautiful state in the Union, into a place that fundamentally doesn't work. And what you've seen in the last election is you saw the seeds of discontent being planted. California moved dramatically to the right from where they were. In the last presidential election, Californians voted for Proposition thirty six, which would then start to crack down on criminals and repeal Prop forty seven, which was a proposition that was a very soft on crime initiative. And you saw many of the sorosdas like George Gascon and Pamela Price get booted from office. So there is hope, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. And for the first time, that light at the end of the tunnel is not a train. Kevin right at us.
Speaker 4: Well, we've been on in San Francisco for twenty two years. And the fact that they now have decided, you know, that's enough and you choose a mayor who's going to do something about the street people. I mean, that's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 7: Sure, And it's not just San Francisco. Look across the Bay in Oakland where the DA Pamela Price was booted out of office by voters, and so was the mayor Shang Tao, who is also right now being investigated by the FBI and looking at potentially north of ninety years in prison. If they can get with the program. In Oakland and San Francisco, the state is salvagable.
Speaker 1: At least the mayor had an excuse for being soft on crime. She's a criminal. I meant it's a conflict of interest, you know, John, maybe the tangential question, because your examples are all great and they're absolutely accurate, but they're all either one Democrat over another or something like a proposition to say proposition which isn't explicitly partisan. So here's the question, how did and I'm sorry one more aside, then I'll actually ask the damn question. When we moved to California nineteen ninety six, Pete Wilson was in the middle, I believe his second term, very purple state, very reasonable governance, and somehow the Republican brand just went to hell.
Speaker 2: Your opinion on, you know, briefly.
Speaker 1: How it got there, but arnold side, is there any right, is there any rehabilitating it?
Speaker 7: And how well, if you pay attention to the universities, what they would say it was all Proposition one eighty seven. I don't buy that. But I think happened is that the Cold War ended.
Speaker 1: Just for folks that don't understand, that was the prop that said no services for illegals, which passed with a strong majority, but then all of a sudden became anathema.
Speaker 2: Anyway back to you, John.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, that was Trump before Trump. But I think the greater issue, the greater problem for Republicans in California, at least, was the end of the Cold War, because you had all of the military bases shut down or many of them shut down. So guys with crew cuts and degrees in engineering and metals on their chest stopped moving to the state. The aerospace industry essentially moved out of California and we were replaced by the tech industry. And the tech industry attracts people who want to live in coastal communities. They're socially liberal, they have graduate degrees, and they end up voting for people like Nancy Pelosi and Gavin Newsom and those types of Democrats. But what you're starting to see right now, because you're right that the examples I gave were individual issues or races, but look at voter registration numbers in California today compared to where they were a couple of years ago. There have been dramatic moves to the right in cities like Glendale, cities in eastern Los Angeles County. Beverly Hills is now a majority Republican city. And you're also seeing it in those agricultural areas in the central part of the state, Imperial County, where you have a lot of Latino voters who are really not happy with what they're getting from Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to alienate Latinos.
Speaker 1: Explain that if little Wan comes back and says he's now Janita, you have to accept it, or we're taking your son away from you.
Speaker 2: Good lord.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean those subjects are very offensive to a lot of people. And also don't discount the damage that the COVID nineteen shutdowns did to a lot of these people.
Speaker 2: Because if you have a kid.
Speaker 7: In school and all of a sudden they went from going to school five days a week to being stuck inside their bedroom playing video games twenty four to seven, that's like a crash course in how to become an active shooter. Those parents are furious. If you own a small business and your small business was shut down, well, Seth Bezos was allowed to operate, you're furious at what Sacramento did, and they have long memories.
Speaker 2: Yeah. John Phillips is on the line. John, I always point out.
Speaker 1: That the public employee unions have enormous power and enormous numbers, especially when they're joined by the nurses and a couple of their notable private sector unions. That's always going to be a force to be reckoned with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 7: But right now, what you're seeing when you have a budget crisis, which is what California has, is choices have to be made. Are you going to stick with the bullet train or are you going to stick with public employees in some other sector? And right now there are a finite amount of resources and they're all battling for it. You're going to have winners and you're going to have losers, but not everyone is going to win. And if you're the team that's in charge, which in this one party state, the Democrats are, you're going to have to upset a lot of your friends. And when you start to upset them over and over and over again, they're going to start looking elsewhere.
Speaker 1: John Phillips is an Orange County Register columnist also on mighty KBC in LA and KSFO from noon to three Pacific. Always a pleasure to talk to John. Good luck with the new show, and let's stay in touch, all right, Thank you for having me on our pleasure.
Speaker 2: That was interesting.
Speaker 4: I never heard anybody make that point about the Cold War ending and the bases shutting down, and then you know the tech business being big. It's also interesting that the tech world as lefty as it is with Google and Apple and everything. The biggest dog of all is Elon Musk and he is the poster child for being a Trump Nazi. Yeah yeah, and it's interesting. Demographics are so incredibly important.
Speaker 1: I remember when because because you have policy shifting, meanwhile you have demographic groups shifting in their ideology and the parties shifting as well. So you we have a fairly reasonable, fairly purple Democratic Party in the nineties, for instance, become the anti George Bush kind of fever pitch because the Iraq War hurt the Republican brand in California pretty badly. But then you have the Democrats moving toward crime is fine, the whole postmodern woke thing, you know, white supremacy, which includes Hispanic people unless they're down with again juan coming home as Juanita. And you're seeing a transition. But it takes a long damn time, especially when there are trillions of dollars at stake, and the people controlling them are not honest dealers friends. They are hedging their bets every way they can. The Iraq War started in March of three, which is when we started in San Francisco, So it has been twenty two years ago. As of last month, Yeah, I mentioned that Kid Rock broke he to deal between and Bill Maher. Trump said he is reluctantly agreeing to this, but because he respects Kid Rock, he'll do it.
Speaker 2: And he said it might be fun or it might not.
Speaker 1: That could be quite the news making conversation between mar and Trump. Yeah, I'm trying to imagine how it would go, and it's just it's gonna be wild.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 4: But why was Kid Rock in the Oval office? Pretty interesting? And this is not politics? Really, if you ever go to concerts or games, you care about this among other things on the ways, stay here.
Speaker 2: I forgot about this. Oh was so good.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, if we're going to talk about Kid Rock, who was in the Oval office just to dressed like he's the.
Speaker 2: MC of a circus.
Speaker 1: If you Kid Rock really hit the national scene at was it Woodstock Too or Lollapo one of those big outdoor concerts.
Speaker 2: He came out and just killed it.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you ever watch that YouTube video of that, I mean, it's the energy.
Speaker 2: Coming off of that when he does my name is Kid, the midget comes out and the crowd just goes.
Speaker 1: Berzerk I'm sorry, my headphones are weird, did you say, and the midget comes out yes. But anyway, he had a dwarf hype man there for a cup of coffee. Oh my god, I should say for a forty that was something.
Speaker 4: But uh, if you if you watch that, or you were watching it at the time, you wouldn't have thought. You know, someday he'll be standing in the Oval Office with the President of the United States. Anyway, he was yesterday, and uh, this is part of what they were discussing.
Speaker 2: I want the.
Speaker 7: Fans have a fair ticket price to be able to go.
Speaker 2: We can enjoy it more shows.
Speaker 7: I know people that can only they decide on a family vacation or going to their favorite concert once a year, rather than you know, our parents to go see multiple shows so you can afford them back in their day.
Speaker 1: So Kid Rock goes on to say, and he just said what a lot of musicians have said.
Speaker 4: You know, I want to low well, I want to lower my prices for certain people or whatever. But it doesn't do any good if I lower my prices. The third market people, stub hub and all those other companies, they buy them and sell them and make the profit and they get the money and I don't. So I haven't accomplished anything. I didn't give my fans a break, and I don't get the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: The executive order aimed at cracking down a ticket price gouging and other exploited practices by middlemen like ticket brokers, although I actually know a ticket broker. And here's the part he would emphasize. The order directs the Federal Trade Commission to more rigorously enforce existing law governing the use of bots that help scalper scoop up hot tickets, including by issuing fines.
Speaker 2: All of us have wondered this our whole lives.
Speaker 4: Really if you were you know, back in the day, long before the internet or whatever, but if some group was coming to town, it's like, oh, I want to be able to go to this concert, and you know what time the tickets go on sale, and you got your old rotary phone and you're ready to call it.
Speaker 2: All the tickets are gone before you could gone. How did that work? Right? Yeah? I know, And it's interesting.
Speaker 1: It's multifascinating because I know, like the non bot use it because that's already illegal. And my friend al Anonymous said they already, don't enforce the bot laws on the books, and he's fired all the horse catchers already, and then he emailed the response from an association. But the way it used to work, or was supposed to work, was that a lot of the ticket brokers have contracts with the big concert companies that it's essentially it's like buying corn.
Speaker 2: Futures or cattle futures.
Speaker 1: They say, I'll buy seventy five tickets to every single show, and some of them will be in high demand and I'll make a lot of money. Some of them will not be and I will lose money, but I will be your client and I will buy tickets to X number shows. But the amateurs now because bots are so easy to design. I could no more design a bot than build a car with my own hands, but they're so easy to design. Every Tom, Dick and Harry who has any computer knowledge is now doing it on an ad hoc basis, and so that's the real problem. And then they put them on the resale market and it's just everybody is snatching up tickets.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're the music artist, though, even aside from the bot thing, so is your only hope to just charge as much as you think you can and make the maximum profit. I mean, there's no point in trying to keep your tickets at a price where like your kid rock or a lot of people Taylor Swift, do you want to make it sure an average family of four can come to your concert?
Speaker 2: Right, it's just impossible. Well, yeah, and it looks terrible.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of artists, singers, entertainers are really sensitive to not looking like they're gouging their fans because there's an emotional relationship there that a bot certainly doesn't have with their fans.
Speaker 2: They couldn't give a crap.
Speaker 4: Well, I understand, uh, free market capitalism, supply demand, all that sort of stuff, But is there any other is there? Why doesn't this happen in other just because there's not enough demand, it doesn't happen in any other segment of society.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the supply and demand curves are skewed, especially for the really popular artists, because you can't you can only play certain number of shows or it'd kill you as a performer. And so you're playing two nights in Omaha period, then moving on down the road.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you've got to.
Speaker 4: Keep your prices at a certain level so you don't look like a jerk to your fans. But some third party makes the money and there's nothing you can do about it, right, Huh.
Speaker 1: Well, that's obviously no good. I mean, that's that's just it's it's unfair, and it's you.
Speaker 4: Know, as a fan, if I'm gonna have to pay one hundred and eighty bucks for a ticket, I would rather the money goes to my musician that I really like and care about their music than some ticket company.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Interestingly, the National Association of Ticket Brokers put out the following statement. We applaud President Trump for undertaking an effort to enforce the Federal Bots Act and working to root out bad players in the system, even though bots are not the main reason why consumers experience frustration when trying to buy tickets. Uh. When tickets do go on sale, people should not be competing with ticket hoarding software to make a purchase. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Is this going to make much different in reality for ticket buyers. It'll make a difference for like some of these companies, but is it gonna make any difference to me? I'm not sure it is because again, the same problem more or less seemed to exist before modern technology.
Speaker 1: Right and and again according to my friend in the business, that they're not they don't enforce the laws.
Speaker 2: Now, it's like gun laws. Let's pass another gun law.
Speaker 4: Kid Rock said, like he's he said, I'm friends with the CEO of Ticketmaster and I'm meeting with him today over this. So it's not like he's angry at them or trying to screw them or whatever. Right, he actually said, we're trying to come up with the way that everybody makes money that's fair.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and fair enough. And I'm completely agnostic on this topic. By the way, I'm not defending anybody in particular. It's just one of the aspects of DOGE that we need to work through, and I'm willing to work through. It is as my buddy put it, they've fired all the horse catchers.
Speaker 2: There's a funny way to put it.
Speaker 1: And we'll have to see because a lot of the legitimate law enforcement functions of the federal government take people and lots of people consumer protection stuff, for instance, and it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Speaker 2: In the raw politics of it.
Speaker 4: This is another example of Trump understanding real issues for real people that they care about, and looking like he's trying to do something for them.
Speaker 1: And whether he will actually be effective in that or just look like it. I don't know, but I do want kid rock suit obviously tailored and if you haven't seen it, we'll post pictures in a video at Armstrong and Giddy dot com. Obviously, I'll have to have it tailored for me. I'm slightly more full figured than mister Rock.
Speaker 2: You're the same age.
Speaker 1: Is almost a qualifies for medicare Rock at this point close he looks a little rough too.
Speaker 2: I look far more youthful
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty