Speaker 1: The Volume. Hi everybody, and welcome in to the Thursday Morning podcast. My buddy Jason Timpf. We're going to just talk about the Lakers loss, talk about the Draymond Green suspension, and a host of other things about the NBA. Jason Hoops Tonight podcaster at the Volume does a great job. Some really cool new stuff about the Volume coming up in about seven or eight days too. So I saw the story where Tua quarterback Miami Dolphins acknowledged and admitted that he strongly considered retirement this past year when he dealt with concussions, and that's something Had it happened to me, it happened to a family member, you should consider retirement. You know, we get into these things in sports, these tunnels where everybody's afraid to get canceled and called out, and so people don't acknowledge stuff which is like obvious. And I felt like three or four years ago when I brought up that Kyler Murray was a little too small for my taste or that size mattered at quarterback, I got a lot of pushback on this stuff, and it's like, now, can we all admit it that Bryce Young size is a little concerning out of Alabama, and it should be that Tua is small and Jalen Hurts is not ideal, though I wouldn't classify him as small, he's been dinged up. And that Baker Mayfield, I know for a number one pick. Baker's six feet tall and not a great athlete. Tried to size up a safety after an interception, banged on his shoulder, got hurt. Never the same quarterback. We have to be honest about this stuff. Is that Mahomes and Herbert and Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow and Josh Allen, these are bigger than average men. It matters. Go look at the list of Hall of Fame quarterbacks. You're John Elways, your Brady's, your Peyton Manning's, your Big Bends, your Joe Montana's, and Steve Young's. Not a lot of five ten guys there. So and I think it's a I think it's a real concern about Bryce Young. It's why there's a quarterback for Tennessee that may go in the second round, Hendon Hooker. The knock on him is that he had an ACL injury. But he's a big, strong kid who throws a beautiful football. He may be your best bet. He may be your best bet in this draft. I don't know that to be true. But he is big, he's strong, he's got a big arm, and you know, he's older, so he's a more mature kid, right than your average twenty one twenty two year old quarterback coming in. He's he's you know, he's been around a while. So this stuff with Tua is you know, he's got an extension possibility coming up. I just I couldn't give it to him. I just couldn't. You know the way I look at Tua, great kid, great high school and college career, limitations at the pro level, and I said, we're to a point now where the media is not going to give you a pass on concussions. And not only are they not going to give you a pass concussions, the opinions will be swift, they'll be punitive. And I think the Miami Dolphins, if Tua has a concussion, you can't plan for a month minimum. I mean if third week of the year, September concussion, if you plan before Thanksgiving, you're going to get hammered by people. It's the one injury where the media is relentless and no company wants to get banged on by the media for eight to ten weeks. They don't, all right, So it's a bummer like some guys. You know, I've seen it at every position in the NFL. Some guys are built for high school and college. It's not quite built for the NFL. And I don't know if Tua is. I mean, he has admitted before. Now he's admitting he thought about retirement, and he's admitted before he struggles at times to see over the offensive line. It's okay, we can acknowledge this right like it's an adult conversation now. And it's why Sean Payton came on my show and said, be very very careful about not going prototype in the first ten to fifteen picks. Do not get an offensive tackle that's six two or sixty three. You've got to be six five and a half minimum, you know. Don't take a small corner, don't take a smaller quarterback. So I think the Dolphins are in a really tricky situation. Two is a really good guy.
Speaker 2: They want to protect him. They should.
Speaker 1: Tua also needs to be protected, like most pro athletes, from themselves, because they're all competitors and all want to play. But that news that Tua considered retirement. How do you not consider that? If you're the Miami Dolphins going forward, how do you not The NBA Playoffs are upon us. Twenty teams get in all trying to get that one crown for last minute amazing deals to watch your favorite NBA team. It can be the Warriors, It could be the Kings, it could be the Sixers, it could be the Bucks. To get great last minute deals on amazing tickets. Check out game Time, the fastest growing ticketing app in the United States. It's called game Time doesn't stop, by the way with the NBA. They've got NHL tickets, Major League Baseball tickets. They've also got concerts and comedy shows. Game Time. Download the game Time app and the redeem code is Colin coli in twenty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 2: Terms apply.
Speaker 1: Download the game Time app, enter the code Colin col i in for twenty dollars off NBA Playoffs, Baseball season just starting here in April, NHL as well. No matter where you live, get out have some fun this week and this year. Download the game Time app. Last minute ticket deals, lowest prices guaranteed. Colin how are you, man, Well, we saw that. I think any Laker fans saw it coming, like you gotta win in Memphis, energy was low early and this team isn't you know, they're not Sacramento Young, They're not you know, they're one of those teams like they got to be engaged, like because Lebron over the last two or three years really lets the.
Speaker 2: Game come to him. He didn't.
Speaker 1: I mean the first quarters. For Lebron, it's like a boxer in the first three rounds, like he feels the game out right, he's basically hoping somebody else does the heavy lifting. Early he's conserving energy. So when Anthony Davis can't hit shots and Lebron's sort of working his way into a game and it's like, oh we trailed by fifteen, okay, Like that's when the game became very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put it perfectly. Every Laker fan saw this coming. This has been it. You know, this Laker season has been such a bizarre journey, Colin, because everyone's gonna focus on the fact that they've been really good since the deadline, and they have and like so good that they've deserved the attention that they've received. In a way that they may not have deserved the attention they received in the previous year and a half. It was more of just like everyone watching the ship crash and burn, you know. But there have been two really interesting stretches this season that I think are very very under discussed, I should say, to get the Lakers where they were, there's a stretch where Lebron James missed extended time and Anthony Davis carried the team. Actually two stretches like that, but the big one the foot issue towards the end of the year. And then there was the stretch where Anthony Davis missed a ton of time and Lebron James stepped in. And in each of those stretches, Lebron and ad the one that was available put forth incredibly desperate basketball, playing at the absolute top of their games to drag the team to wins, just to float things long enough until the trade deadline could happen, or until Lebron James could return, right, And every single time there has been a return, they've collectively exhaled and they don't play well as the favorite. It's basically what I'm saying. When when Lebron James came back, they immediately lost to Chicago because they didn't think they had to play as hard as they did. They lost that desperation and yeah, this game textbook. They go out there in Game one, they dominate that game, and it was I heard a lot of people saying it wasn't as close as it looked. I agree, But did anybody think Memphis was winning Game one or did it feel like the Lakers controlled it throughout? They controlled it throughout right, But then after that game they flipped from being a slight underdog in the series to being a slight favorite in the series than John Morant's out and Lebron James and Anthony Davis are two players that like to do the absolute bare minimum to win basketball games. They tried that tonight. And that's a young, scrappy Memphis team that's always played super well at home. They played super physical, really bothered the Lakers, particularly around the rim, and they got a big win.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is they are a better defensive team. Memphis is when jaws not on the floor and the ball moves better. And I've said this before. I said today on FS one, I said, flashy point guards like sports cars. They're not built for bad weather or a trip cross country. But god, they're fun, really fun. Trey Young, You'll throw even Steph Curry and Steph Curry, Trey Young, John Wall, John Morant, Derreck Rose. They are players that get exposed defensively. They're usually a little I mean they're all a little thin, a little light. Westbrook was more stocky, but again he plays defense when he feels like it. But when you get these Jahn Morant type players, is they're exhilarating and ball movement slows down. You kind of stare, you kind of watch Derreck Rose perform, watch John Wall, and they're not great. They give you so much energy on the offensive end. They don't give you a ton on the defensive end. Now, Steph Curry and the Warriors, they've built the team Draymon Clay when he was a great defender. They bring in Gary Payton. They see his weakness as they build around him. But when I watch Memphis, and I've seen this now three years, Tyas Jones plays better defense. I've seen this the last you know, ten times that he's played. They're a better defensive team. He's not a great scorer, but the forwards and the wings move the ball really really really well. And by the way, I remember John Wall years ago a missing games for the Wizards. They won like nine or ten straight. It doesn't mean Wall's not great, but you know, everybody then feels like when the flashy point guards out, hey, I'm gonna get touches tonight, like I'm going to be included in this game plan, and you really want to play well showing the coaches, Okay, when the guy comes back, I want touches. And I think Memphis tonight played a lot of energy, moved it really really well. Everybody just the ball moves better. And it's not a knock on John Rant. He's exhilarating. But I see this sometimes even with the Warriors, like sometimes if Draymond's not setting screens, it's a lot of guys watch and Steph do is you know Harlem globetrotter ball movement flying around And I just I looked at Memphis tonight and I'm like, they're a good team without Jaw. They're a different team, but they're a good team without him.
Speaker 3: The way you broke it down is perfect, Like it's a there's a baseline kind of like fundamental list of things that if you do well as a basketball team, you have a chance to win no matter what, right, Like, even without a top tier superstar, if you can protect the rim really well, if you compete really hard in all of the effort and energy parts of the game, like sliding your feace defensively on the perimeter, beating guys to the to the rim on help situations, crashing the offensive glass, crashing the defensive glass. Just by playing super hard and having a couple of baseline pieces that you need, you can win in the NBA, especially since a lot of these NBA players are good. Like we spend a lot of time talking about role players in the Shortcomings, but a lot of these guys were all conference dudes in college and guys who average twenty five thirty points a game in high school. So if you give them close out situation, even against good NBA defense, is they're gonna be able to score. And so if you don't guard the ball and you give give up dribble penetration, the guys are attacking closeouts all night long, they're gonna score. That's why, Like, honestly, from a schematic standpoint, watching this game, I remain extremely confident that the Lakers are gonna win the series. The only thing that really stood out to me schematically was the Jared Vanderbilt problem. And it's too it's twofold. Half of it is Jared Vanderbilt and the fact that he's such a non threat offensively that Memphis can stick Jared Jackson on him and just muck everything up underneath the basket. But the flip side of it is Ruy Hachimura is ascending in front of us. This is something that has We've seen the two twenty point point game at the two twenty plus point games in this series, but it actually extends backwards a few weeks now. His original his initial tenure with the Lakers went a little bit rough. You got moved to the bench after the trade. But Phil Hand he's been working with him relentlessly before games and in practice on polishing up some things in his skill set. He's been working with Darvin Ham really hard to find little areas of the game where he can impact the game. Defensively, He's become kind of a sneaky, solid help defender under the rim, blocking shots, grabbing contested rebounds.
Speaker 2: They're gonna He's big.
Speaker 3: He's big. He's huge. They're gonna slide him into that starting lineup at some point in this playoff run, maybe even in Game three of this series. And I think they're gonna cut way back on Jared Vanderbilt's minutes. That was really the only schematic thing that bothered me or concerned me. I should say about the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I will say they didn't play well. Started slow, were on the road, ad didn't give you much offensively, and they were in the game with two minutes ago. You know, I mean, when the Knicks play poorly, they get rolled Miami, not even Yannis on the Florida Knights getting rolled. Lakers were on the road without or with John Morant. Memphis is a very upper echelon team, and they competed, and they really didn't play their best basketball. It was like, I since the trade, I think they're a much more competitive team. I think they have more options. I like, I watched the night and I thought, you very early, it's like it's not going to be their night. It's not going to be their night. But they competed, they hung in the game. You know, it wasn't a blowout. They were you know, there was a little brief moment with about four and a half five left, you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, okay, we got it. It's six.
Speaker 1: So my takeaway is go back home, win both games. Jaw's not going to be playing much in this series, and the faster you can close it out the better because this is this is Lebron James is old and you can see it like he can't go seven game series or they'll pay for it next series.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the way you broke it down is perfect. Like the there's a competitiveness that you'd like to see when a team loses that shows them that they're just a victim of victims, not even the right word, but just shows them that this is a natural. I've been low in the series from the point that the Grizzlies went up sixty six to forty six. They were up twenty. This was the early third quarter. I thought the Lakers really controlled the rest of that game. They just were a little bit too far away, especially with Dangel Russell being incapable of making a shot. Anthony Davis was missing everything around the basket. They just didn't quite have the offensive firepower tonight to make up for the hole that they dug themselves. But once they locked in defensively in that second half, they got plenty of stops. Now the problem is, and you just said this, and this is so important this particular Lakers team, rest is going to be key for them, and andying this series quickly is so important because there will be long series ahead. The next series against Sacramento or Golden State probably a longer series because the Lakers struggle with transition defense and the way that they run their coverage is going to leave some things open for the Kings guards and the Warriors guards. In the conference finals against a team like Phoenix or the Clippers or Denver, they're going to be in for a long series. Whoever comes out of the West or East. That's a six or seven games. So if they could buy it little tiny chunks of like three or four days off, you're there for Lebron and Anthony Davis to rest ending this series in five would go a long way towards that. So, Colin, everyone was accusing us of backing up our volume guy, which I think is ridiculous because it's just I don't I don't know what's gotten into everybody, Colin, because I feel like this is the most reasonable opinion in the world, and every everyone's calling me immoral. You know how it goes. But I could see the case for the I could see the case for the ejection. Now I disagreed with it, but I could see the case, and the case was Draymond's history fair. I thought the decision to suspend him was completely outrageous. Where did you land on that?
Speaker 1: The reality is if I went up and punched you, and you punched.
Speaker 2: Me back, and you knocked me out and I.
Speaker 1: Just grazed you, you could say, well, he started it, and that's a real defense. If you broke into my house and I shot you and you had a terrible injury, and maybe maybe I didn't need to be as violent against you, I would say he broke into my house, right, Sabonis got a technical and initiated the circus Draymond pulling out then added to it. But that's a real defense, which is you know, he swung first, or he broke in, or he grabbed my leg. So to me, that's not why they threw him out for the next game. I believe at my core because Sabonis a started it and played the remaining seven and a half minutes.
Speaker 2: He was fine.
Speaker 1: And you know, again, if there would have been an injury, then there's a different component. But I think and I don't blame Adam Silver for this. Deep in the DNA of the NBA, the Malice at the Palace was their darkest moment. And when Draymond got up as a road player and started taunting the crowd and Adam Silver's in the building, I think that's a non starter. If you're at Chase Center, it's different. But if you're on the road, Adam's there, he hears those fans, he sees the double birds. He It's like, no way, we're not going there. That Even though I defended the players in Malice of the Palace because if you went back and looked at the people and the fans involved, many of them had criminal records. They were just there to be trouble. I defended run our test. I defended the players because I would have been terrified to be in an arena, an opposing arena. But it does matter what arena it is. You can't do that on the road in a hostile playoff environment, Jason, you just can't do it. You know, there's the old saying you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, you can't. So I think silver being there, And because you know, when Draymond's doing that, Adam's hearing those fans and he's seeing those double birds and he's like, I'm not going there repercussions. And again, Draymond's a veteran, he's not a rookie. Like you could see a rookie losing their shit.
Speaker 2: You could.
Speaker 1: I mean, seriously, a nineteen year old kid gets worked up. This is a wise NBA sage. You know, Draymond's been in these wars forever. So I think it's like resume road insiding. Because I'm with you, if you do something first, you do have a right a cheap shot. To me, you do have a right to cheap shot back. And that would have easily been two technicals keep playing. But that crowd and that even somebody said it today on my show. I forget who it was, but it was may have been Sam Amck. He just said, you know, if he's just run through the tunnel, it would have felt different.
Speaker 2: Just I'm out out.
Speaker 1: It was like ninety seconds of come on, you want a piece of me.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Well, there are things that are debatable about this, and there are things that are not debatable. Like the debatable side of it is should he have been suspended? Sure, you know, like we can go back and forth about that. Here's what's not debatable. Draymond brought this on himself and his team. That goes like regardless of what the decision making process was, the risk was willingly took on by Draymond with his behavior and especially what you're talking about after the time out, because again, like and I think I think it's a complicated topic, and I know you've talked about this a little bit on your show, really, but like the dynamic between the fans and players is super complicated because like, you're heated, you're super competitive, and you're riled up, and now some dudes saying some wildly disrespectful stuff from to you, like twenty feet away, and there's really like this barrier between you that extends beyond the distance. It's also like Adam Silver standing there between you because it could literally mess up your entire season and everything that you and your team are trying to build towards. But again, like there's a difference between I think I personally would not have suspended him that said, that's a debate. That's a fair debate. There's no question that Draymond brought it on himself, at least through his decision making process and knowing what kind of history he had. Now with this series gets really interesting from here. I don't think it's overcallin and I'm still pretty confident that Golden State's gonna win. I know it sounds crazy, but a couple of different things. They kind of started to figure out some stuff in Game two that I believe might have led them to a victory had Draymond been able to stay in the game. When Andrew Wiggins is on the floor and when Gary Payton is on the floor, they have straightforward matchups for Fox and Monk and they are actually doing a decent job containing him there. Then they have to go to pick and roll to get rid of the on ball defender, and Draymond is blowing all of that stuff up as the screen defender. At the end of the game, they had to go to Looney and then they went to pick and roll, and Looney couldn't stop anybody at the rim, so that ended up being the problem. But functionally from the lineup, you can kind of see the two teams finding their five that works. The Kings are going with Davion Mitchell because he can guard Steath credibly right, and then they're going with Malik Monk and Deer and Fox with Harrison Barnes and Demanta Sabonis. With the Warriors, it's Draymond with Andrew Wiggins and then Gary Payton Stephen Clay. That's where they've got their lineups that are working. That's where these two teams are going to go down with the ship. If the Warriors can survive Game three, which is totally possible with how well they play in front of their home crowd even without Draymond, especially against the King's team that cannot be overly physical sometimes. If they can survive Game three, Draymond comes back for Game four, I believe they will win that game on the road. In Game five, as long as they can stay in it long enough to get to their core lineup at the end, I think they have a really good chance to win this series. As bad as Golden State was on the road in Sacramento, expect Sacramento to look just this is bad in Golden State in my opinion, Well.
Speaker 1: What I worry about without Draymon. He's a great passer on the offensive end. He's also a great screen setter, and he's now they have plenty of smart players, but he does add an intellect. He's just got a real good sense. I mean, it's all this sort of intellectual bandwidth the Celtics play with. When you've got four guys who are on the floor for six years, like the Celtics, passing is excellent. Whereas Atlanta's got a new GM, a new coach, a new system. I mean, it's just a bunch of new parts. And I think, I think when I watch the Warriors with Draymon's Steph Clay on the floor, man, there are times.
Speaker 2: It's just they can really read each other's minds.
Speaker 1: And that's the kind of capital that load management eats away at.
Speaker 2: It's what I mean.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this. It's why the Clippers sometimes in a half court set.
Speaker 2: Are painful to watch. There's no play together.
Speaker 1: So if they can get through this game, I agree with you. But man, sometimes without Draymond, the passing's not as crisp, the ball movements not quite as good. You know, Clay is not a great ball handler, and now he's not a great defender. So you get two different versions of Clay. There's catch and shoot and he's hot at home, Clay great, and then there's on the road struggling handling the ball, guys blowing by him. You know, you used to kind of know with Clay that if he wasn't on, you got a great defender. Now and he's not on, you get him sometimes a suboptimal ball handler and defender. So his game doesn't necessarily you'd think, because he's a catch and shoot guy, his game would age well.
Speaker 2: But he's got to play better.
Speaker 1: He and Jordan Poole have got to help Steph.
Speaker 2: Jordan Poole's been awful in the series. Awful.
Speaker 3: I agree, you're the Draymond thing is certainly a threat. And this is where I fundamentally disagree with the suspension, Like, make the Kings go earn the damn series, make them go beat Golden State in Golden State, make them beat them with Draymond, like especially on it, like especially I've been getting on my soapbox again. I didn't like that that suspension at all, Like because now if the Kings win the series, it's gonna feel a little cheap, but it is.
Speaker 1: You know, Jason, I I've always felt I will always give an athlete a pass in the moment. Tom Brady yelling at a coach, Peyton Manning barking, I'll always give an athlete they can leave their body. It's an out of body experience. Emotionally, I mean, your testosterone's going, you've been putting. So the Draymond kick, it's like, I get it. That's his style. He's the bouncer at the night club. He's a tough guy. It's the Okay, I've been ejected. Now I'm gonna go and taunt the crowd. Come on, you're a mid thirty year old player, like like, I have a right to be mad if I'm on the air and somebody doesn't roll the tape and I'm barking, But three minutes later, I've got to go, Okay, we have a show to do. Take a deep breath, get over yourself. Let's do the show. So I that part, I'll defend Draymond in the moment one guy grabs your foot, you stomp him back. I'll defend him forever on that. But you got to know better as a thirty four to thirty five year old guy on the road to get that crowd riled up, Like, that's just not the play.
Speaker 3: I can't argue with anything you're saying, Colin, So I'm gonna change. I'm gonna change my take as a basketball fan. I'm annoyed that Draymond's not playing in Game three. How about that, right, We'll just go with that. So that's I do. I do still think. I think that if the Warriors can survive the Draymond suspension in Game three, I think they still have a very good chance to win the series. So Clippers versus Suns, this is the series that I have been most wrong about in my pre playoffs previews. I expected the Clippers to get swept. They very much did not, as they went into Phoenix and stole game one. You know what's interesting about this series, Colin. The numbers coming out of of the like kind of shot profile stuff does not look good for Phoenix. This is wild. So the Suns have attempted to seventeen shots or excuse me, nineteen shots in the restricted area in this series, and the Clippers have attempted thirty seven, so like almost double and then in wide open threes, which by NBA dot Com is factored in as defender at least six foot six feet away. The Clippers have also generated about twice as many as the Suns. The reasons why this, the reason why the Suns won Game two is what's the other shot that's available. So, if you're not scoring at the rim and you're not making these kickout threes to guys that are wide open, it's contested pull up off the dribble long jump shots in the mid range.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: What's crazy is the Suns shot thirty five percent in effective field goal percentage on pull up jump shots in game one and they lost. They shot sixty one percent effective field goal percentage on pull up jump shots off the dribble in Game two and they won. And so everything for me for the Suns comes down to can they continue to knock down these tough, contested pull up jump shots. And I'm just not. I believe they'll make enough to beat the Clippers, But I after two games, feel less confident than ever that the Sons can get out of the conference because they're just not generating enough easy shots.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel these are opposite teams. The Clippers have depth that are missing a star. The Sons have stars and are missing depth. And when they made the move to get KD, you had to give up Michale Bridges. That was the gem, but they gave up two other players, and one of those players had twenty eight the other night for Brooklyn against Philadelphia. And when I watch the Suns, I feel, I said this on TV today, they're a guy shy. If I just said Norman Powell's on the Suns, I'm like, Okay, they're a finals team. I almost think they're tentative defensively because they know they can't get into foul trouble. Chris Paul's backup is her and he may not play in Game three. Booker doesn't really have a backup. They don't really have backups for their stars, and it almost makes them a little tentative defensively, Whereas the Clippers have depth, play really hard defensively. Westbrook gets in foul trouble, you can throw in man Norman Powell, they go. They've got depth, So I think it makes them play a little more tentative defensively. Monty Williams knows that we can't go to the bench early.
Speaker 2: We just can't.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is Chris Paul's the one guy that needs a break and until his backup comes in who's been out. I know he may play in Game three, but I think that's a big thing. Like Chris at this point in his career needs to spell. And so when I've been watching Chris Paul in the second half, his jumpers are short. His just stuff that went in three years ago is just not there, and it's I mean it was the other night he missed a couple seventy eight. I'm like, that was a seventy percent shot three years ago, Like just Chris didn't miss those. So I feel like I feel like to get Kevin Durant, they had to give away a bunch of picks and three dudes. If they give away two, they could be more aggressive on the defensive end. You could rest guys. I mean, they're gonna have to play Durant and Booker, They're gonna have to play them forty minutes. That's who they are now, that's who they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I said this before the playoffs, and I still feel very strongly about this, Like I have no idea what's gonna happen with this Sun's team, but I do know what's gonna happen this summer, they're gonna sign somebody and it's gonna be like, hey, listen, do you want to be a start the starting forward? Like guaranteed starting spot alongside Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, Chris Paul Deandraton. They're gonna be able to pitch that position like that using the mid level exception or whatever contract they decide to offer, and they are going to get some massively underpaid forward that can play on both ends of the floor that wants to just win a championship next to the two of them. They're gonna get two or three more veteran minimum contracts that kind of follow a similar, similar mold, and they're gonna be awesome next year. I feel very strongly about that this team is kind of playing with house money a little bit because I think that I think the expectations are a little lower on them because of that. The minutes thing is complicated because I'm less concerned about it on the offensive end, because workload matters, like splitting a heavy duty shot creation workload between just Kyrie and Lebron that can get a little fatiguing, and you need an other worldly athlete like Lebron to survive that. But like all of a sudden, you throw a third guy in there, and it's like they're hand they're splitting those duties three ways, it becomes a little more suitable. The defensive end is where is where you hit the nail on the head. You can't win a title in the NBA without playing elite defense. You can't play elite defense without committing to devote physical resources to it. And when you devote physical resources to it, to the two forty four minutes a night, one of two things is going to happen. They're either going to not devote the necessary physical resources to it and coast and not reach the defensive ceiling they need to reach, or they're going to pour in the necessary effort for forty four minutes to get stops and they're gonna suffer on the offense and end when they're fatigued. So like, that's where it gets difficult, and I don't really have a good answer for them. Kevin Durant famously said this after they lost to the to the Bucks in a crazy Game seven, that well, where he took his toe is on the line. I don't know if you remember the turnar on Tipper he said that. He said this after the series. He goes, everyone thinks, if I was won inch further back, we would have won the championship. He's like, that was the second round. He's like, He's like we had He's like James Harden was playing out a bad hamstring. Kyrie was completely unavailable. I had to create every single shot. He's like, we were winning the title that year. Like it's just too much to ask a guy to do that that much without any depth behind him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if they get pain the backup to Chris Paul. I think if they get him back, I think that helps, you know, like there's like, I don't know what he plays eighteen minutes, sixteen minutes.
Speaker 2: That helps a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I to your point, they'll get a couple of mid level exemptions, and they'll get a couple of veterans that want to win, you know, like the Heat did when they went and grabbed like Ray Allen. You'll get a guy like that that's like, man, I just want a title. When David West came to the Warriors, you know there's a guy out there that like can give you like twelve really good minutes in the postseason. Jay Crowder's bounced around and become kind of like that guy at the end of his career. So and they Jay Crowder got moved in that Brooklyn deal. So it's like, so, you know Michale Bridges, yes, and then you start moving a couple other pieces and you look up and it's like, oh, Cam Johnson dropped almost thirty against Holly, and you're like, they need that so bad. But you know, interestingly, here's Denver playing tonight and nobody's watching and we're all just like, ah, God. And it's funny because the NBA knows by putting him on late at night, they're not going to get East Coast viewers. And I said, Denver reminds me of the Milwaukee team before they want a title an NBA. They got on the noon NBA TV game during the bubble. It's like the league's like, where can we hide them? And I feel like the NBA is doing the same with Denver.
Speaker 2: They like, yeah, we know they're good.
Speaker 1: Let's just wait until they play like the Warriors or Sun so we can get any audience. But I think they're like that Milwaukee team. They're kind of sitting in the weeds a little bit. Nobody believes in them a lot of depth. They're winning in routes. You know, Denver may just come out of this thing, after all.
Speaker 3: They might. I mean, I will say in our defense, these these top seeds, the one in two versus seven and eight matchups, with exception of the Lakers Grizzlies have been so boring, and that feely Net series has been really boring. That said, I think we'll all be rewarded in the second round because Denver versus Phoenix. You know, whoever comes out of those two Lakers Warriors series, the Sixers versus Celtics is going to be an all timer. I think whoever comes out of this great Yeah, whoever comes out of this next series will be an interesting challenge for for Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: I do want it.
Speaker 3: Before we get out of here, I wanted to I wanted to point out two things that I find very interesting, one of which Colin I think you might find interesting. Kevin Kawhi Leonard has soundly outplayed KD through two games. Now it's not over. And Kevin Durant very well. I expect Kevin Durant to play better, and I expect the Suns to win this series. But I think it's been a really interesting indicator of the way playoff basketball changes and one of the biggest things that I've noticed over the last couple of years. And I wonder if you've noticed the same thing. Strength seems to matter so much on this stage for two reasons. It's what allows you to play through uncalled fouls which are occurring on every single possession in the NBA playoffs, like hand checking, grabbing, holding, chucking, all that stuff. Playing through that require strength, and then it allows you to inflict uncalled offensive fouls, you know, by using your off arm and bumping people off with your shoulder and things along those lines. Kawhi Leonard is getting wherever he wants on the floor in this series, and it's because he's throwing these dudes around like rag dolls and kd He's incredibly skilled and he's going to make shots. He made shots in Game two. I expect him to make shots the rest of the series. I think Kadi's a better player than Kawhi, but it's so interesting to me that Kawhi has been more impactful so far through two games, and I think that strength plays a huge role in it.
Speaker 1: Kawhi is a big time old school player. I said this years ago, and I believe it, and I haven't heard anybody else say it, so I'll give myself credit. I said, if you'd never seen, never seen Michael Jordan play, people say, well, it was Kobe Bryant, and I'd be like, no, it's not Kobe plus Kawhi Leonard is Michael Jordan because Kobe wasn't as strong as Michael. Like if you look at the size of Lebron's hands and Kawhi's hands, Kobe doesn't have that. Kawhi is country strong, you know, Mike, Mike North Carolina strong, you know, like where you work on your own car right, Like that's different, Like Kobe grows up in Italy, it's Kawhi Leonard. If you gave Kobe Kawhi Leonard's hand size and strength, that's Michael Jordan. That's what Michael always had. Now, Kobe always had better range than Michael and at a better ball handler, I think, and I think he Kobe could have been a great passer, but he shot. But Kobe never had Michael's raw strength or his hand size to be able to palm the ball in the air. And I think if you gave if you gave Kawhi a little better ball handling skills and a little better range on his jumper, a little quicker, slightly twitchier, he's Kobe. He's not as twitchy as Kobe without the range, and Kobe's not as strong with the hand size as Kawhi. But Kawhi is I mean, I would have loved Kawhi is the kind of guy that if Kawhi would have guarded Michael Jordan in his prime, Michael would have been like, yeah, that's a dog. Because Michael, you know, Kawhi is like a little bit like Ron Harper where because Ron on the Bulls became kind of a third fourth score. Ron was a great scorer in Cleveland with the Clippers. Ron didn't have sort of that that quite the hand size of Kawhi. But Michael always respected Ron Harper because he knew he basically came. He gave up his offense to be Michael's partner, right and be a defensive guy. I said a few years ago, and I and I believed it. Then Kawhi sort of disappeared. Kawhi four years ago in the NBA was the best get a bucket, get a stop guy in the league. If you just said I just need I don't need a three, I need a bucket. About four years ago, I thought he was as good as the league had I need a stop.
Speaker 2: I definitely felt he was the best in the league.
Speaker 1: So the only reason we've all kind of sold some stock on Kawhi is is not available, it's not because his game's not great.
Speaker 3: Well, the same thing with Anthony Davis, Like we conflate these two issues, but like you don't judge a player by a ceiling, you judge him by his total contributions to your team throughout the entire NBA calendar, and that's where the issue has been. Defensively, I think he's been every bit as good as he's ever been in this series. You can tell he's taken it personally. I wanted to the last guy. I want to shout out and then we can get out of here, and I don't want to go through the whole Like fit is part of it, There's no doubt that fit is part of it. The Lakers fit was clunky. That goes without saying. The Clippers fit is much more natural, But Russell Westbrook's commitment to the effort and energy plays in this game, his point of attack defense on both Kevin Durant and Devin Booker, and what he's been doing on the glass. Here's the thing, it's it's for no reason other than he's finally devoting his entire effort and focus to it, which good for him. But that's why it's finally working out. That said, this is what all Laker fans were screaming for when he was in LA. If he could have just done this, if he could have devoted his resources to the defensive end of the floor trying to erase a player from the game with this point of attack defense, push the pace and just make plays for his teammates and rain in his decision making, he could be this massive positive player for the Lakers, and it just never happened because he didn't want to devote his resources towards those things. That said, as a basketball fan, it has been so much fun watching him in this series and watching him impact winning. I don't know if he saw that play where he tried to deflect the post entry pass to KD and he kind of got out of position, yes, and Kdi took like two dribbles to the foul line, and Rush just went flying in off one leg. It just like like a humiliating defensive play from Russell Westbrook, Like that's he's always been capable of that. He could have been the best defensive guard in the history of the league if he wanted to, just because he's that type of athlete. It just it's partially impressive to watch him in the series and partially disappoint that it took so long to see it. But shout out to Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 1: Well, when he first came to the Lakers, and I remember this during the summer, I said, I don't love him as a player, but with Lebron's age and the brittleness of ad, he'll give you twenty nine minutes of terror a night. He'll just give you a production. He like plays Downhill like and for some reason, he was just an awful defensive player for the Lakers. Totally disengaged with Darvin Ham. It's almost like Darvin pissed him off, asked him to play a certain role, and he's like, I'm out. And then ty Lou, who was you know, tis confrontationals, like, Bro, you gotta play defense here, And then he just said, Okay, I'm gonna play defense because for the Lakers. I mean, he just he just didn't want to play defense. And you're like, he's such a great athlete. But I watched him the end of night. He's completely disruptive. He's like the guy in the YMCA you don't want guarding you. It's like, dude, you're sweating all over me. He's in your grill. You're just like, he's just unconventional and he's just going a thousand miles an hour and it's oh those guys, I mean, oh god, it's just relentless. And Kd's just you know, Patrick Beverly did that before a couple of years ago. Patrick Beverley got into Remember when Kad was a Warrior and Patrick Beverley the first couple of games, just like and Katy's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know who I am? You know who I am.
Speaker 1: Then he came out and average forty one for the rest of the series. But you can get in KD for a game or two and you can get him out of his rhythm. He'll come back and be fine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for the record, everything I said, Kawi has been great, Residen great. Kad is the best player in the series. He's going to close the deal.
Speaker 1: The volume, make sure to check out The Draymond Green Show. I brought Draymond Green into the volume because one of the more entertaining voices in sports. Unique perspective understands behind the rope. Also chops up with guests like Gary Payton, Zach Lavine, Tracy McGrady. Make sure download The Draymond Green Show wherever you get your podcasts, only on the Volume podcast Network.