Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to what Future. I'm your host, Josh Wazepolski. And today I have to say I'm in an interesting place mentally and physically. You know, physically it's not that interesting. I'm at home, but mentally I'm traveling. I'm traveling through the stars. Now I'm not actually doing that. I am a little exhausted, you know, because I have been traveling. And you know, when you go on a trip and it's a long trip, and then you come back, no one but you was on the trip. Everybody else was where they were. When you come back home, you were on this weird journey with all these strange people and all of the people you know, like your family, like my family for instance, or the people I work with who didn't we're not traveling. It's just like life was just going on normal, and so you're you may have had a life changing experience. I didn't have a life changing experience, but one might have had a life changing experience on their journey. And then you have to like ear the back at the back in the office on Monday or whatever. It's very straight hard to transition. In my opinion, there should be a I think after a trip there should be a period and you should get like a few days of everybody leaves you alone so you can re enter society like a if you've been in prison. It's kind of like ease back into the world of the non imprisoned. Anyhow, I'm not saying travel is like being in prisoned.
Speaker 2: But you just said it's like a halfway.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. Did I say that transitional?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean I mean I'm saying you have to transition. I'm saying you should be given time to transition back into the normal world, like if you go somewhere, especially if it's far away and you're not there for like you're not doing the same things you do all the time. I mean, I think, you know, maybe this is just the oh, I need a vacation after the vacation. I didn't take a vacation, but if I had, right, Like, do you buffer when if you go on a trip, do you buffer time afterwards to like return to your life, because I think people should.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't mean you mean you add on an extra day or you come back a day early. That's right, Yeah, you ad Yeah, I've never done it. I mean it sounds incredible, but It's never been an option in my life.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's not really an option for anybody. I'm not saying you can. I mean I'm saying, like, you know, I've cut trips short for the purpose of having a day that isn't being on the trip. I mean, like, Okay, that's enough. I got to go home so I can like get back into the swing of like living of normal life. But before I talk about my travels, which I guess I have a little bit, there's something more more pressing and more present that has occurred. So I got rear ended. Did I tell you this? I've started to tell you guys. By the way, when you say I was rear ended, I feel like it does it It's not immediate, like to everybody that you're talking about the car. Is that just me? Look yeah, Like I hear the words, I'm like, it takes me a second to think about what that means. You know, rearended. It doesn't sound like a car accident. Sounds like it kind of sounds like a sex thing. To be honest, I was rereended. It's like it's like that feels like a genre, a porn hub, like a tag on corn hub.
Speaker 2: I think you're the only one thinking that.
Speaker 1: Nah, somebody else's thought it, believed me. None of these thoughts are that original. None of them are that thought.
Speaker 2: They haven't said it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I'm getting paid the big bucks, so I'm not afraid to say what's on everyone's mind. Rear Ended sounds like a sex thing. Anyhow, I was rear ended yesterday. I was sitting at a stop a stop light and a light a red light. Do people call red lights stop lights? Nobody calls with that, right, that's not a phrase. Anyhow, I was sitting at a light and a like, I don't know, I don't know. Maybe I want to say two thousand and two Grand Cherokee rear ended me. You know, it's funny because like I heard the screech of the of the tires on the it was it had been raining, but this person was definitely going too fast. I heard the screech of the tires and I was like, oh, that's a bad noise. That doesn't sound good. But I didn't do anything, like, I just sat there for a second. I mean, it happened very quickly, but it was interesting because I'm like, that is not a good sound. And then I got hit. But you know it's funny about the Tesla is that they have cameras everywhere, and the cameras are recording all the time. So I have footage of the act accident, which is interesting, and honestly that the Cherokee ends up a lot worse than my car. My car actually has no damage on it from what I can tell. There's like a little scuff on the bumper, but the Cherokee's bumper was like fully dented.
Speaker 2: So can I ask you a question about how that works? Like, please, do I see this? There's like baby monitors that are always recording.
Speaker 1: Yes, where does that go?
Speaker 2: Like I mean if with Tesla's always recording, does it erase him on the line?
Speaker 1: It does erase? Yeah, it erased it. So there's there's a little U SD card in the glove compartment which I actually didn't even realize was there. But they have this little SD card plugged into a USB port in the glove compartment and it's recording some amount of footage, like I had like an hour of driving footage from that day. Now I went to check it. I was going to show Zelda. I was telling her about it, and this morning. I was as I was dropping her off at her summer camp. I was like, you know, I had this video of it, and then I went to look for it and it's gone, like it has been replaced by newer video. So I assume that there. What's interesting is you would think the car they would have at least enough of intelligence to go, hey, this car. The car got hit by another car, so we should keep that. Although I did save the video, so I have it on my computer. I have the saved video from all of the cameras as the accident happened with the bummers. I don't have any of the video after it, because there's some video of me walking around the car, which I would like to check out, see how I look, you know, see how my pants are fitting, that kind of stuff, But that's gone forever. I guess I'll just have to do that right now. I'm gonna go walk around my car just like casually, and then I can look. I could review the footage anyhow, but then I also have a new injury. I have a bad injury I have I think it's called bresiitis in my elbow. I don't know exactly how it happened. But it's very painful if I lean on my right elbow like on a chair, or even like if I'm in bed and I prop myself up to read or something. Doesn't happen all the time, but a lot of the time. Now it is like a level ten. You know the pain chart, You know where they have the faces. Have you ever seen the pain chart? Yeah, pain charts a good name for a band. Also, like he did, for like a metal band. It's like a ten on the pain chart. Ten is like as painful as anything can be. Of course, I'm also a man, huge baby, so for me it's a ten. For a normal person it's probably like a three.
Speaker 2: But they say that men always register their pain is higher on the scales than the women do.
Speaker 1: Well. Men are, as we know, huge, huge babies and have a low tolerance for pain and discomfort. I mean, most of the world's problems, I imagine are because like men didn't want to be uncomfortable or put out, or like you know, they were angry about having their feelings hurt or something like nine out of ten times, like a war has started because some man was hurt by another man. In all likelihood, huge babies of all of us the whole set. You know, I'm broken down piece of meat like Mickey Rourke from The Wrestler. I'm just slowly deteriorating.
Speaker 3: Hope.
Speaker 1: My whole body is falling apart. You know, the car got hit, my elbows fucked up. What's next? You know? Are those things related? Probably not, but we can't rule it out anyhow. I was in can which is how I'm saying it, and I don't know if that's I feel like that's how Americans say it. I don't know if it's how everybody says it. Jenna, you speak French, right, No?
Speaker 2: I speak Spanish, but I would say calm, but.
Speaker 1: Larra, do you speak French?
Speaker 2: I don't, and I would say can.
Speaker 1: I felt very dumb there, of course, because I don't speak I speak no French. I can make the sounds if I know the word, but I don't really know any words. By the way, I haven't been out of the country for many, many years, obviously, and I had to get a new passport.
Speaker 2: I have to get a new passport too.
Speaker 1: Well. Let me tell you you can get one quickly. Do you know what the trick is?
Speaker 2: No? What is it you?
Speaker 1: Let's say you're a month away from travel. You need a passport. Now, you need to get one. A month away from your travel will take you seven to nine weeks minimum to get one. Okay, But if you wait, if you just wait till you're within fourteen days of travel, you have booked a ticket, you have proof of that you have to travel. There's no alternative. You stand to lose a bunch of money because your ticket will be useless because you won't be able to take your trip. You can call a number and sometimes you get through a number to the US Department of State or State Department, some people refer to it, and they will maybe be able to find you an appointment at a passport a special kind of passport office. There are only a few of them in America. And then they will maybe make an appointment for you to go and get a passport. They're like be here at ten o'clock. You're like, oh, okay, cool, I have a passport an appointment to get my passport that day. They will make you a passport. Okay, So this cost one hundred and ninety dollars in fees, which is fine, like whatever. Like if you're flying to another country and you're going to lose all of your ticket money or whatever, have your trip ruined. It's it's nothing. But the ten o'clock appointment is not just for you. The ten o'clock appointment is for everyone. Everybody got invited to be there at ten o'clock and it is a lot of people, and everybody needs a passport today, and we're all in it together. I got into line, got there at like nine thirty in the morning. I'm like, I'm early. I got into a line out the door of the passport office, stretching down a sidewalk, across a drive, a parking lot entrance. And you know, I made lifelong friends that day. I met people and bonded with people and experienced things with those people that you know, a lot of people will never experience, a lot of other people will never get to get to experience. And it was a chaotic scene. They did give me a passport eventually, but it was a very interesting experience. You really got an he really gives you a taste of the government and action and saying it's a bad system. But there's definitely some things that could be improved about it, Like there are a lot of things that could be improved about it.
Speaker 2: You're telling us about the Hunger Games and passport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was right. It was like the Hundred Games.
Speaker 2: I was picturing you as Clive Owen and children of men the whole time.
Speaker 1: There was a very children of men vibe to a lot of it, like you know a lot of like people waiting in lines, hoping to make the cut for something or whatever. So they run you through this process and then they say come back. Now. It's interesting. Some people, some people at the window said told people come back here at one o'clock. Some people would like my person said, you can pick it up between one and three, okay, between one o'clock and three o'clock in the afternoon. So I went home and then I came back. And when I got back, things had gotten, Things had gotten a little ugly, things had gotten. They gotten, They had gone from okay to bad, and maybe we're traveling towards from bad to worse. And there's a huge amount of people waiting, and that the security guards there. I'm not security guards. I guess there's some type of law enforcement. You know. They were like yelling at people to you know, not rush into line. And it doesn't matter because nope, You're only going to get your passport when somebody calls your name. And then they were telling people. They were like, I saw somebody vaping. I don't know who thinks you can vape in a government building. And you know, to be honest, it never occurred to me you couldn't vape in a government building. So you know, I put it away just kidding. Vaping, I think, actually, can you even picture and me? Vaping doesn't It doesn't compute mentally. The officer there was like, I've never seen it this packed, I've never seen it this crazy. I've never seen anything like this. We're just totally overwhelmed. So we're going to take your they give you a slip of paper to pick up your passport. They're like, we're going to take your slips of paper and we're going to take them upstairs, and then someone's going to come down with whatever passports are ready and are going to call people's names. And it sounded like and I think what was the case is that they had just created like an ad hoc system that they had never done before or had rarely done, and so it was like you have this little piece of paper you just handed over. Then that's it. Like as far as getting your passport, that's the only thing you can use to pick it up. And then it goes to upstairs into a mysterious room, and then a person comes down. This woman comes down this uh, you know, not elderly and she was a bit advanced in age. She comes down, she's behind she's inside of a box, a plastic box like where they check you in originally, and you know, she starts just yelling people's names, but like there's no amplification. She can't pronounce a lot of the names. It was like, is this is this the end of the process, this bureaucratic process. Is like this old woman in a box is screaming a name she can't pronounce in the hopes that the person happens to be a sitting there and be here's it. Listen, Nothing tragic happened, but there was just a lot of the tension in the room was palpable. Man. What she called my name, It was like God himself had come down from heaven and put me in a nineteen twenty six Rolls Royce and driven me to the pearly gates.
Speaker 2: That's what God does.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I was trying to think of what God would do if he came down here to help, Like what's he doing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, driving you around?
Speaker 1: Apparently, you know, classic like Sistine Chapel. God with the beard. He's got like a really nice like iridescent like the color of the Rolls Royce, Like one of those classic cars is the big swoopy wheels, and the color of the car is like an iridescent purple. You know, it's like you can't quite make out exactly what the color is. And he will just take he can take you anywhere. You know. That to me is like feels right. I don't know if it's if it is right, you know, I don't I don't think God exists, but I think if God did exist, that's the scene that would be the vibe, right, that's the vibe like a kind of Rick Rubin ish situation. Maybe. But I don't think Rick Rubin even drives. He probably just is like he has a guy who drives. He drives. He's like a guy who like never wears shoes. I think it's just like I think he's obviously a very important person and has done some amazing things, but his vibe is like, I don't know. I bet he's really annoying. I bet he smells not any Rick Ruben on the podcast, I bet he. It's like a guy who doesn't he use deodorant. He's like deodoran his poison. That's what that's the vibe I get from Rick Rubin. I'm not saying he's dirty. I'm just saying he rejects things like deodorant and shoes. Not a hippie way either. I think he's an incredibly materialistic capitalist guy. But but I think there's just he's he's like, you know, like one of these tech VC guys. Like there is a story in the Wall Street Journal about how all these that the vcs and there and the founders are all like doing drugs now. They're all like micro dosing or like doing ketamine or whatever. And it's just like it helps me, like you know, come up with solutions to complicate problems or whatever. And it's like, no, it doesn't. It makes you high, which is fun, and that is it. Like I don't believe for a second that it's like you're the next breakthrough is going to happen because you're fucking micro dosing or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't think people get professional breakthroughs from micro dosing, but I do think that people have personal breakthroughs for micro doess.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm talking about the therapeutic uses of of LSD. I'm talking about guys who are like, this helps me, you know, figure out how to do the layoffs or whatever. You know, Like that's you know, like I would, I have to do it difficult? What I have to do, A difficult calling of the staff. I like snort a little ketamine which takes the edge off.
Speaker 2: The Silicon Valley guy who invents the public bus.
Speaker 1: That's what I associated, right, we No, It's like it's like Ela Musk inventing like a kind of a way worse subway. He's like invented a tunnel, you know, like literally, and he was probably fucking high. And and if the people who give him money to do things are are also high, it's a bad It's a bad combination. It explains a lot, though, I think like it explains a lot about what's going on in Silicon Valley at the moment, you know, it sort of explains even things like the apple of virtual reality headset, all all that stuff like metaverse and fucking it's just all it's such, it's such like a fantasy. It's such a strange fantasy that everyone out there seems to be having that it's just so completely detached and out of touch from like meaningful reality. And then I say, this is a guy who would love to just zap himself into a virtual reality situation and never come back. I don't know anyhow, So how do they give on the topic of drugs.
Speaker 3: About smelling bad, which, which, by the way, made me think about how my mom.
Speaker 2: Used to say she always was sure that Larry King smelled bad.
Speaker 1: Larry King looks like he smells like mothballs. He looks like he smells like he just got the suspenders out of old like one of those old sup brown leather suitcases with the little flippy things that open it up, and inside of it were a whole bunch of suspenders and mothballs, you know. But you know, rest in peace.
Speaker 2: I feel like mixed with like a bag of farts. There's something like old.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he looked dry to me, though he just generally looked dry, you know, like, and I associate dried dryness with the mothballs. I yes, I don't know why. I don't know why. I guess mothballs aren't really there for keeping things dry. I haven't smelled a mothball in a while. Actually, people don't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: I have them because we have moths, so I have them in my.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have mothballs like hany ones, you know that, like they're hangars.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I don't want my clothes to be eaten.
Speaker 1: So oh well, god, I mean that's not that doesn't happen. The moths don't eat clothes. This is like an old wives tale. That's actually is that sexis to say it's an old person's tail.
Speaker 2: I think it takes like a very very long time.
Speaker 1: I think it's like I was on the Santa Maria, you know, and I had my fucking cask full of clothing, and like the moths got in there, like to my they got onto my tunics. Is this a real problem? It feels like not a real problem.
Speaker 2: Go back to Larry King and his smell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Larry King, No, I don't know he made didn't smell that good. I feel bad for saying the record looks like he stinks, But you know what I mean, I don't know he probably does. I know, I've known a lot of guys in the music world that have a similar vibe. I guess, and yeah, you know, they're just kind of like, no, you know, I reject things.
Speaker 2: Like who do you think smells good?
Speaker 1: What do I think smells good?
Speaker 2: No? Who do you think smells good that you've never met?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's an interesting question. That's an interesting question men or women? Or do we do we care?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it do we want to go? Is there anything any gender preference here?
Speaker 2: I mean, you did just slander two men.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't actual see my Larry King was based off of Jenna saying that's something.
Speaker 2: That's my opinion him smelling bad.
Speaker 1: But if you ask me, what do you think Larry King smells like? I guess like more off balls, like the answer I would give because that is, you know, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just saying that because he's old. Maybe that's agism.
Speaker 2: He had many wives, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Well he had a lot of money. I think that is very helpful. Maybe I'm just being agist, you know, maybe he smelled great, Maybe he smelled like fucking you know, uh jovon MOSKV. Is that do they still make that. That's a that's a corner store cologne. Who do I think smells good? Larsen?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: I don't know why she?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why he?
Speaker 2: Of all people?
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I don't know. She just popped into my head. I'm trying to think of who else might smell good. I have a very bad sense of smell, so I kind of don't smell much of anything. I generally assume most people smell fine. Like I'm not walking around going like people all people stink or I'm concerned about people how people smell. And I feel like I've really dug a hole here with this Rick Ruben comment. But yeah, I don't really think about it. I guess you know. My concern is more like do I smell? As you know, I'm very self centered and focused on my own shit, and I'm like, you know, how do I smell today?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Am I? Okay? That's the things like you never really know what you smell? Like, you know, you have no idea what you actually smell like you'll never know, You'll never know. Does that? Do you find that maddening?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: To think about, Like I'll get out of the shower, I do my stuff or whatever. I'm thinking, Like, I feel pretty fresh, I feel pretty clean. I feel like I smell great. But like maybe it's too much, maybe it's not enough. Maybe I stink for some reason I don't even know.
Speaker 2: And when when you're pregnant, your bo actually changes, Oh, it is very pungent.
Speaker 1: It gets better or worse.
Speaker 2: It gets way worse. That is the that's the trip. When you smell your your bo that is now different in the moors.
Speaker 1: Eh, that does sound terrible. That sounds like a kind of like a horror movie. But I mean a lot of a lot of pregnancy is sort of like a horror movie in my opinion.
Speaker 2: No interesting, but they made a horror movie about it.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I know that's I think more than one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I would say there's one. I mean, there's like a new one, is what I mean. I asked Kyle the other day if Alien was based off pregnancy, and he said.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, he's wrong, Okay, he's fucking wrong. Actually, let me tell you, because I could. I have read extensively. There's a guy named Dan O'Bannon who wrote Who's a really weird, interesting guy who has written and made a lot of interesting science fiction. I believe he wrote or co wrote the original Alien story. And and he said, first off, the alien, the way the alien inseminates its host, they wanted to reverse the rape thing. They wanted to have like essentially like like male rape was the inspirit, like the horror of rape, but applied to like not a woman, you know, and obviously you know, other people can be rape. But they had this idea that it was like going to be as horrific as a rape. And then I do think that the I do think the chest bursting part of it is meant to be uh yeah, like a pregnancy parallel, you know. I mean, of course, I don't see how it couldn't be. The entire thing is centered around like mothers and like and like birth, and uh, I don't know. I don't know what he's talking about. I think he's way off on net with that answer.
Speaker 3: I also flucked in, by the way, and totally challenged that Alien is based off wasps or something xenomorphia or something.
Speaker 1: No, that's wrong. That's like some idea that a child would have about what Alien is about. But that's I don't hear what he just said. No, it is it is, though, because here I'm going to tell I'm going to read to read your Dan O'Bannon production writing. I'm reading the Wikipedia entry right now. Oh. Bannon described the sexual imagery as overt and intentional. I'm going to put in every image I can think of to make the men and the audience cross their legs. Homosexual, oral rape, birth, the thing lays its eggs down your throat, the whole number. That's the guy who created the story for Alien Speaking. Okay, so I don't know about the wasp stuff. Sounds like Dan O'Bannon had some other ideas about what it meant.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a ten on the pain.
Speaker 1: Scal Wow, good callback, Thank you dude. It is a ten on the pains. Guess a lot like my elbow versidas. It's very similar actually in a lot of ways. At any rate, I was actually talking to some of my coworkers today about the box office situation. It's very bad situation out there for blockbusters. The superhero fatigue has set in. People don't want to see the Flash starring Ezra Miller.
Speaker 2: That person that I thought was in.
Speaker 1: Jail, Ezra Miller. That's his name, right, I thought.
Speaker 2: Azra Miller was in jail this whole time until the press start coming out.
Speaker 1: Ezra Miller has been accused of some some very mysterious and not good sounding stuff. And you know, it was sort of feeling canceled ish, and then they're like, now we're gonna but you know, we made this movie with him, so with them, sorry, and so we got to do it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there kidnapping involved?
Speaker 1: They apparently kidnapped. I mean, this is the accusation. I have no idea what the real story is, to be honest, I haven't looked that much into it because it sounded depressing and bad and I can only engage with so much bad news at a time. But yeah, they like kidnapped some underage I guess. I guess you can kidnap a non underage person, although it's kind of right there in the name. I feel like they should. Is there a different word for when you when you kidnap an adult? Is there a different word?
Speaker 3: This is?
Speaker 2: Ezra Miller officially apologizes for kidnapping girl.
Speaker 1: Hey, we've all been there.
Speaker 2: There's nothing alleged here.
Speaker 1: We've all had to issue an apology for doing a kidnapping of a youth. I mean, who hasn't Who amongst us hasn't issued a formal apology for doing a crime.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let me read this to you. Okay, please do After receiving a felony for burglary in men oh okay, Ezra Miller was accused of brainwashing and grooming a teenage girl and exploiting other children.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Now, the actor is attempting to salvage the situation by sharing an apology.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if that gets you see all the way there, if all those accusations are are true, I think, or all that behavior.
Speaker 2: Publicist wrote an apology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, it's sometimes saying I'm sorry it goes a long way, you know, sometimes it can just erase a horrendous crime. But yeah, people don't want to see their movie. They don't want to see the Flash, even though there's a Michael Keaton cameo where he plays Batman, which I think is cool, like the only cool thing these DC movies have done. Actually, I was just talking to somebody about how how unbelievable the string of failures the DC franchise. DC superhero movies have been, like just like an unmitigated ongoing disaster, like every film is in essence a bomb, Like I think they keep making them. It's like I would just give up, just wait, I just waited out. But luckily all the Superheroes does seems to be coming to a close and we returned to great filmmaking. We're gonna return to an age of daring risk takers putting it all on the line to create something new, some new art. Daring, daring risk takers like Wes Anderson, who I just learned signed apparently signed the Roman Plans key like support letter, and like a ton of other people did too, like including David Lynch and Michael Mann and all these you know.
Speaker 2: There's there was like a I always think about David Lynch.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, it's so odd to me. I would just do nothing. Personally, if it were me, if somebody was like, do you want to sign the Roman Polansky letter? Even if I was like, I'm so pro Roman Plansky, knowing what Roman Plansky did, I would be like, you know what, I'm I'm actually very busy. I don't have time to do add my stag trick to that. But thank you, thank you, you know, like you're not gonna get ostracized for not signing the letter. You know, a very strange Michael Mann signed it. Very disappointing stuff, you know, you know, really just kind of confusing as to why you'd put your signature on that. I mean, if you knew even a scoach, even a little bit of the details. Yeah, like I don't know. I wouldn't sign it. Personally.
Speaker 2: That's a strong stance, controversial.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something about me. A lot of people wouldn't say this, A lot of people wouldn't step up, but I will. I won't sign the Roman Plansky letter. You know, I draw a line in the sand. I'm trying to think of what I would sign. I've probably accidentally signed a few petitions like dumb ones, you know, Like you know, remember there was like some the Rick and Morty sauce at McDonald's and people that couldn't get it, and people are having like flip out. They were flipping out at at at McDonald's.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say one of the Man Show petitions.
Speaker 1: No, I don't even look at the Man Show. You mean the thing with what's his name that you.
Speaker 2: Guys, Adam Carolla. They had people signing against women's suffrage. I remember that was one of their bits.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch that ship. I didn't watch that ship. I was raised.
Speaker 2: I was a young girl who was being instilled with the misogyny.
Speaker 1: Misogyny and and the patriarchy, you know, belief in the patriot I don't know, I was My parents did a lot of things wrong, but they did a few things right, apparently because that ship was not interesting to me at all. But uh yeah, Like I probably signed some petition like like joking, like to bring back the Rick and Morty, you know, Sechuan Sauce or whatever it was it McDonald's like stuff like that, speaking must speak of canceled people who won't be led back in the country. Wow, somebody's like impeach Trump, Like sign the petition. I'd be like, yeah, I mean, I don't think my Sayn's is gonna do it. I don't care how many Satan issues you get, it doesn't matter. Nobody cares. They're not gonna They're not gonna do it a second time. He's been impeached like twice. I don't even know. Like it's crazy, it's wild. I love I love that guy. Man. It's it's something else, something to watch, something just incredible to watch him exists, because it's like you see all of the failings of our of our reality. You see all the failings of humanity just just totally expressed within the way Donald Trump lives his life. It's like he's like, oh yeah, he was like uh, he's done all these rapes, and he's like lied and cheated, he's had like he literally this is a guy who literally as a business practice, would put a cee for colored next to black families names were trying to rent houses or apartments from him because he didn't want to rent to them, and he would have his people mark that down to say, okay, don't rent to these people. He was he was fucking sued and then they settled, right, Our system didn't find him like it found him guilty, but like then there was some kind of like settlement where he didn't have to ever say he did it or something, and that just got kind of brushed under the rug, and nobody fucking cares. Like nobody cares like you or I couldn't do something that racist in our daily life and like continue to exist in a normal way. But a guy like that just keeps going and now it's like all this stuff, like it's like, oh yeah, he's the secret documents. Like no president history has ever acted like this. It's so outrageous and you just feel like nothing will happen. It's like guns. It's like guns in this country. Like you're like, oh, more children were shot at a school. Well that should do it, right, Like, that'll do it. We're gonna band together and make some changes here because like obviously there's a problem, and we're just like, nah, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: I remember after Sandy Hook, I thought, well, this is this is it. It can't go any further than this.
Speaker 1: Obama's up on stage crying. You're like, oh wow, the President of the United States is like actually crying on television like I've never seen I'd never seen that before. I don't think in my lifetime. Maybe I maybe Bill Clinton cried. He seemed kind of like a crier. Actually, yeah, it's an interesting time to be alive at any rate. Well, do you mean tell you I didn't even tell you about my travels. I didn't even talk about my first off. I was in can an incredible situation. Have you ever been to Can beautiful place.
Speaker 2: Oh. I looked at the pronunciation.
Speaker 3: It's canon like eat like an American once they can, and then French it's yeah can with a hard ket.
Speaker 1: I think it's the same. Actually, I'm not sure there's a difference, but I appreciate the French trying to tweak it a little bit, trying to tweak it away from the English pronunciation at any rate. So you know, I was there for a conference, which is the worst reason to go to Can, in my opinion. There's a big media and advertising conference there called can Lyons or leon. I guess I don't know how they would say it. I was there only for about three days, three and a half something like that, and I probably spent about an entire day in travel, all told on one end and the other, like like a day and a half a day each way, the solidly twelve hours, if not more so. Think about being the most beautiful place in the world, with the greatest sort of amenities and luxuries you could imagine. But what you're doing instead of enjoying it is meeting ad executives that you could meet with who are from New York and live in New York, but are there, and so you know, that part was not fun. But there was a lot of other stuff that was fun and at least an interesting experience. But my travel was insane because I flew connections. So I first I flew from from New York to Frankfurt, Germany, where I bought a German shepherd beanie baby for Zelda in Germany, which I thought was cool some reasons. That's her favorite dog, and I don't have the heart to tell her that that's the Nazi dog. You know, it's like literally the Nazi dog. You know, there'll be a time in a place when I can tell her the truth. But she really likes German Shepherds. I think it's because she's kind of a narc and a cop, Like, I mean, she loves rules and she also like you know, kids are early on or like basically, you know, they think the police are pretty cool. I understand why, like, because the police are presented as being really a great thing, you know, like, oh no, they protect us and they help us, and they you know though, if you're lost, they'll tell you where to go. And like admittedly there are some uses, right like to the police. I'm not saying they're like again, I don't want to get into a thing, I mean a B like yeah, I'm all, you know, let's get let's get rid of them. But I can understand how child would be like, that's a cool idea. So she loves like she likes like rules and stuff, and maybe the German shepherd things like because it's a cop dog. I don't really know.
Speaker 2: They're incredibly smart. By the way, my dog is part German Shepherd.
Speaker 1: So I take offense this okay, interesting. I would imagine there are a lot of Jews that would not own a German Shepherd, right, just.
Speaker 2: Like Jews won't have a Mercedes.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Our generation probably not, but like the previous generations definitely had. I get it. I mean it's like, you know, at any rate, I had a five hour, five hour layover in Frankfurt Frankfort, and uh, I don't even know what I did. I was in a fugue state. I took a Xanax on the plane. As we took off from a JFK, I had a couple of drinks, and for the first time ever in my life ever, I fell asleep. And then I woke up and they're like, we're landing in an hour and a half. And it was like, that's never happened to me on a plane ever. It was amazing, Like, I see now how other people can travel and what a fucking dream. Anyhow, so a lot of travel, you know, did a lot of duty free shopping in the five during the five hour layover. Yeah, and then and then I was there for like three three days. On the fourth day I went to the airport. Then I flew to Zurich. And what's amazing about the Zerk airport, and frankly about any airport, is first off, it's like nine in the morning when I get there. Now, the Zurich airport, because it's in Switzerland, there are watch stores there, the greatest watch brands in the world, like Rolex and Omega or is the British call it Omiga, which is a crime and they should be put in prison for it, and so all these like incredible schwat they're open at nine in the morning, right, They're like, oh, if I want to buy like a twenty five thousand dollars Rolex at nine am, that's a done deal. But there's a swat of course, there's a Swatch store, and the Swatch store had I don't know if you guys know about this thing called a moon Swatch. Do you know the Moon's watches? No, nobody knows what a Moon's watches? Right, So Swatch the biggest thing, the biggest story in watches of the past, like I don't know, twenty fucking years or maybe like since the Apple since the introduction of the Apple Watch, the biggest story in watches has been this thing called the moon Swatch, which is a collaboration between Swatch, the affordable watchmaker, and Omega and they what they did was Swatch made like a plastic version of this very famous and relatively expensive Omega watch called a Moon's referred to as a Moonwatch. A version of it was taken by the astronauts. A Speedmaster is the family name of it. And this one's called the Moonwatch. It was taken by like some of the astronauts on like many emissions, like the Apollo missions and stuff. And there was actually a really cool one that has like Snoopy on it, because like a Snoop there's like a Snoopy astronaut character that was used for some like NASA stuff and anyway, at any rate, it's a cool It's a fucking cool, real like expensive watch. And then Swatch made a version of it based on every planet in our solar system and the Sun and moon. That is, like they're different color ways and it looks it is exactly in terms of its size, shape, functionality, is identical to obviously different internals, identical to the Omega Watch, but it is made out of like plastic, like Swatch makes all their watches out of or some kind of like bio material or whatever, and they're all in these really crazy colorways. There's like a pink one, there's like a green one, there's a yellow one. They're all for like the different planets and stuff. At any rate, you can't buy them. People were like there were literally like riots outside of Swatch stores because they made them available in like this limited edition fashion and like you had to physically go to a store to get one, and there was no other way to get one. So like people sell them like for way more than they're worth on eBay and you can buy them on different watch sites at any rate. I kind of, you know, vaguely, was like, oh, like if I could get one, I would maybe get one, just because it's so novel. And you know, I'm fucking looking through the Zurich airport at nine in the morning and they just have them there. They're just sitting out. I'm like, you don't actually have these for sale, right, And the guy's like, yeah, I have all but two.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like kind of an amazing strange you know whatever, it's fucking who cares? Is capitalism work? You know? I don't need one, certainly, I have plenty of watches. It was just an interesting way to like start that trip, you know. So I had a bunch of gifts that I brought back for Zelda and Laura, and I bought myself a moon a moon swatch, because because why not, Because if you can't get them anywhere else, I might as well pick one up. You know. It's interesting though, I haven't taken that out of the box yet because I don't wear a regular watch because I have an Apple Watch, and that may change in the future. That's a story for another podcast. I think that's a story for another day. But uh oh, I was gonna say, I didn't say this. It's the last thing I'll say. And maybe I've talked about it before. But I think airports are so fucking cool and interesting because I definitely have talked about this before. You know, there's this theory, this thing I believe, which was created by a writer named Hakeembe called the temporary autonomous zone. The concept is like a place that for a period of time or in a specific location, is like a community that forms with its own rules, its own laws, its own kind of like way of existing, and then it can like dissipate. And I think like airports are like a great example of a temporary autonomous zone, which is that, in my opinion, like kind of an otherworldly like if you think about what it is, it's a very otherworldly idea. Like in an airport. An airport has its own rules, its own laws. The people there, none of them are really besides people that work there. All the people moving through it are not really supposed to be there. They're going somewhere else. And like there are things that are in a temporal sense, are not normal, like a Rolex store I typically isn't open at nine in the morning. I'm like, oh, I'm carrying these bags. I'm taking a plane to New York. But also like if I just want to stop and get buy a rolex like that can have happen, or like a huge bottle of alcohol. The it's all these like weird things that happen there, you know, and then there's a totally different set of rules about like what you can do, like where you can be Like to see someone sleeping on the floor. Normally you'd be like, oh my god, like this is what's happened to this person, or like oh, they're you know, they're homeless. But you know, in an airport, people are just waiting. It's just interesting and there's all these weird like things in airports that would never exist anywhere else. Like in Frankfurt there was like an indoor play area for children that was like a miniature Luftanza plane with like a it had like an emergency slide, but it was like a slide for children. There's just you know, there's in the middle of an indoor space just sliding down this tiny liftans of emergency you know, exit or whatever. It's just it's a strange thing, strange place. It's kind of fun though in a way. I mean, I might be am I the only person who likes airports. Maybe I can't be the only person. But I don't like traveling. I hate traveling. I like airports, weird food, lots of different food choices. It's like a it's like a mall, but like where there's way more danger of like you being arrested for something, like way higher levels of fear about being detained in a strange room. Yeah, Disneyland with the death penalty. As William Gibson famously wrote for one of the early issues of Wired about Singapore, did a big did a big expos about Singapore and how it was like this like dream land of a place where that you know, you would be executed for a spitting gum on the sidewalk or whatever. I don't know if they still do that, but big, good topic for a show. Well, that is our show for this week, if you can believe it. It's all come to a close. The journey that we've been taking together is ending, and yet a new journey begins next week because we're gonna have another show, which I think is great. I think I'm excited about it, and I'm feeling refreshed and rejuvenated after my travels, and frankly, after this conversation, I want to thank the listener for allowing me to bear my soul and share my thoughts. I really do deeply appreciate that you've spent this time with me. Man, this is a real finality to this sign office seems pretty dark, pretty heavy shit, but it's not really. I'm just tired, just tired from traveling. Anyhow. We'll be back next week with more what future, and as always, I wish you and your family the very best.