Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for House of the Dragon Season three, episode five, p one. Hello, my Namazation concepts you on and I'm rosy night and welcome back to xt revision of the podcast, where we diveete into your favorite shows and movies, comics and pop books are coming to you from my heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 2: Las plus news plus nos.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, Oh my gosh, guys, it's a crazy week of fifth episodes.
Speaker 2: We are we are freaking covering House of the Dragon. Did you think it couldn't get any better? Did you think they might let it down? Let you down gently?
Speaker 3: No, this is one of the craziest episodes of the season yet, and I could not believe where they went with it, and everything about it made me so happy. There's so much great character work in here, so many fun, scary, incredible moments, so much gore. Be careful, so big tw if you don't like dead animals or dead people.
Speaker 2: But this is a bang at Jason, Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: We open up with a conversation between Lord Oscar Tully, the young Lord of the Riverlands, and his northern uh help, Lord Dustin in charge of the winter Wolves, and they are searching now for a river crossing so they can get to Tumblton and do something about Lord Ormond's forces who were camped out in Tumbleton. But the problem is every time they come to a bridge, it's been destroyed. Kristen Cole's gorillas are like constant menace. They're lurking in the forest. They're raiding them, they're hitting their supply lines, and they're destroying They're destroying bridges like everywhere they go. So Tully and Dustin are like, Okay, let's fight fire with fire. We can do that too. Let's also do a gorilla war. Let's also dirty. But before they can really put the plane into action, Cole's forces raid the camp five minutes after this conversation between Oscar and Lord Dustin, kill a few guys, burn a bunch of tents, and then disappear. We go to heron hall, we see the blackboat that may or may not be Alice Rivers. The Queen's mercenaries or whoever these guys are, enter the Haunted Castle. They're looking for Amend. The Queen, of course, has been hunting Aimond and Vagar for what for some weeks. Now it seems Alice Rivers pops out. She's like, talks a bunch of ghostly, scary shit, and she kind of refers to the castle as being a living thing. And then she's like, you guys should leave because this is too scary for you. It's scary time. And then she conjures a flurry of bats that like right out of the end of Batman begins, I was good to say, it's definitely having a flashback, and then disappears in the mitror like that was really scary. They leave. She goes to Amon's bedside, where he is in the grips of a nightmare. He is dreaming about a dragon and a castle, and Alice holds him and he's of course recovering still from his stab work.
Speaker 3: And not that we needed this, because we obviously had gotten it from the implications, but this is proof that Amond is there, Alice is lying to everyone, and this is that kind of mysterious time period between them, and we're getting to see how that relationship grows, and this is really great.
Speaker 2: I have to say.
Speaker 3: Look, we always said, amen, he had the face card, he had the hair, he knew what he was doing. But this is such a fantastic different side to him, this kind of cowardly child. It's when he was a kid again, It's when he was being bullied all the time.
Speaker 2: It's so good like this shit enamored me to him.
Speaker 3: And this is what Game of Ferns I think has always done well, and how The Dragon does particularly well.
Speaker 2: There are characters who.
Speaker 3: Are evil, who you hate, but there are moments when you root for them or when you kind of empathize with them in unexpected ways, and I think this episode did that for me for ament, even though I had to keep checking myself and reminding myself who he is.
Speaker 1: So we go to the Red keep Master a while off of the reveal at the end of the previous episode, is delivering some moon tea, some plan tee to Alison's chambers. We know it's for Helena, but Allison doesn't really tell him that, and he tells her listen, this is a huge risk for me, sneaking around behind the Queen's back. I am being watched. They don't really trust me, So this is it. I can't do this kind of thing anymore, and I can't help you in any kind of way without first clearing it with the queen, or at least letting her know what I'm up to. Okay, so sorry. Helena, of course, doesn't want to drink the moon tea. No, and Alison tries to explain to her, We're in a very tenuous situation. It's very dangerous for you and for this unborn child. What if it's a boy, then that is the heir to the throne and Helena would have to kill him.
Speaker 2: Would have to, yeah, and Ranera would kill them, but.
Speaker 1: She would do it, and she would do I mean she would to be fair, she would have to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's not a moral choice for her, it's a political choice, yes.
Speaker 1: And Alison is like, listen, I've taken it many times. Okay, Raniera has taken Every woman here is taking it. We're all this is how you this is how things are done. Nobody talks about it, but this is how it's done. Drink it. And Helena's like.
Speaker 2: No, I gotta say.
Speaker 3: I think Alison flopped the argument because the moment that she's like, hey, me and Ranera both did this, and look at how it saved us, look at our lives.
Speaker 2: And Helena's like, I don't fucking want your if you just.
Speaker 1: Put it, I think you just this is gonna be terrible that I'm saying this out loud. I think you just put it in her wine.
Speaker 2: Or I'm shocked Alison didn't just put it in there.
Speaker 1: Listen, do it.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I don't want that for Helena. And like you said, it's the right thing to say, but like.
Speaker 1: This is that moral formulation, that moral formulation. I just want to be clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's only in Game of Thrones, and like, but I'm shocked Allison is at her most scheming hare and she doesn't do it.
Speaker 2: That shows I love for Helena. I guess.
Speaker 1: Sabbath Afrey in the small Council chamber is complaining that she doesn't yet have hair in hall. That was the deal Jay said, come and as part of the negotiation agreement that allowed the Northmen to cross the Twins, the Phraser' supposed to get hair in hall. And Sabbatha is not sitting in hair and hall right now, and she's really, really, really really complaining about it. She pushes almost too hard, and Renier basically says, listen, you have a council seat. That should be enough. For you and we'll deal with the Harron Hall issue later and Sabbath accepts that they go to the Council chamber for the meeting.
Speaker 3: Jalen Adam, Yeah, I just got to say, as Rena as pr person, is she failing again here at common diplomacy?
Speaker 1: I fear she. I think she is. I think she should say. I mean, I don't understand why she doesn't say, sure, gather your free army and march it to heron Hall. Yeah, take it and you will stay here as the as part of my suppall council. But if you want to put an army at heron Hall and hold it that, I mean, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Why not do that kill the people who come looking for Amond?
Speaker 1: But anyway, well, it might be it might be that a large part of her forces are with Oscar Talley marching you know, by dribs and drabs towards Tumbleton. So it might be that she doesn't have a huge But like I think that would be a solution. I don't know that she's necessarily failing, but she should make it clear that listen, you will get heron Hall soon, but you know now is not the time. If that's indeed with the formulation she's using. Anyway, we go to the small Council, Balen Adam bring the news that Vagar has burned a bunch of stuff in the riverlands and flew off and now no one knows where. Damon says, well, in addition to that, we had basically a riot at the dragon Gate, you know, hungry people just going crazy, and he blames Missaria, basically saying Massaria is like beloved fucking poor people. She was supposed to be like the poor people whisper.
Speaker 2: And where is her whispering?
Speaker 1: Where is the stuff? Like she's not able to control them? And Missaria says, well, really the issue is the city Watch. She's there to brew. They react to any small thing with like the utmost violence. And Damon comes back with, oh, yeah, you think so. Like the thin gold line of the city Watch is all that stands between the population and anarchy. I've had two city Watch people murdered by unknown agents of Lord Ormond. Probably. Meanwhile, there's the other question of Ormond, ty Tower and Tumbleton. What do they do. The debate is between sending Damon's army after him or Damon's perspective is why don't we just burn the whole fucking thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just but he's sick of it. He doesn't want to play the parma. I want to say, I want to shout out Emma Darcy here. Their acting in this episode is so wild and we get this great kind of and I'm not the first person to notice this. This is an internet thing, but there is more dragon in their performance every single episode.
Speaker 2: They act less and less like a thoughtful.
Speaker 3: Human and more like somebody whose neck is always snapping, always shocked, always on the watch.
Speaker 2: And this conversation with Damon is so like that, it's so lizard like.
Speaker 3: It's so about trying to understand Ranier's position in this more council, and it's so fucking good.
Speaker 1: This is such a great I think Ranier is gradually coming to the conclusion that listen, I'm trying to be It would obviously be a peer disaster, not to mention, morally wrong to wipe out Tumbleton through dragonfire and kill thousands of my own supporters. But I think she's kind of gradually arriving at the conclusion that Mercy is not getting her anywhere, and she is gradually gravitating naturally towards a more authoritarian outlook, but we will see. Or while brings news that on the army marching to Tumulton Front poster Tully is trying to get there, but Kristen Colesman are making it really really hard, burning the bridges, et cetera. Rania orders Bayla and Adam to the riverlands, tells them locate Aimond, locate Vagar, tell us where they are. Adam says, okay, we'll go, but we need like lunch and stuff for us, and Baila is like, no, I can go right now, hah, because she is desperate to get back into Nia's good favor after she believes being blamed by Rania for Jayce's death, which is true.
Speaker 3: It's true doing that, But I also do think that Beyla's own guilt is making it heavier.
Speaker 2: Like Ranera blame stuck in everyone that's you know, like it's it.
Speaker 3: She does blame Baylor, and she's not doing a good job being a stepmom, aunt, cousin or whatever the fuck she is. Toha, but this is also about Bayla, But I have to say I'm love it this Adam characterization where he is kind of the one who's like he wasn't raised by royals. He doesn't care what the queen says. To a certain extent, he wants his workers, he wants his colleague in this case Bela, to be fed and slept so they can do their best. I thought this was such a telling interaction between them all.
Speaker 1: It. Rania eventually orders Damon to go to the riverlands and just scout the area. Damon says, Okay, I'll go, but we need to take care of the city watches under immense pressure. They're not being paid. They're the only thing again keeping the capitol from descending into complete chaos, and you need to figure out something for them right now. And Sabbath fray. Meanwhile, I was looking around like, believe this is what O meeting is Like, this is nuts.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about that, Jason, because again, when we talk about Raniera's short term choices, rain now being on the council sitting next to that smamy motherfucker that she put as master of coin and he's given her all the juice.
Speaker 2: They're calling Massaria a whore.
Speaker 3: They're assassin about how people got jobs, bastards upgraded to counsel and the hand and shit this, to me is bad planning on her nearest part. Is there a version of this where these two just keep each other busy with gossip so it's less dangerous or do you think this choice will bite her in the butt the kind of random small council appointment she's making.
Speaker 1: I think she's trying to do something good, which is to reward her supporters. But I think she's doing it very poorly because she's not choosing based on any kind of competence level for the job. I mean, sorry, to me, is the main offender.
Speaker 2: I know, Jesus a fire Massaria get rid of her, Like.
Speaker 1: What the fuck is she doing?
Speaker 4: She tell me when she has ever come with well, some juicy intelligence one time.
Speaker 3: We will end up at the end of this episode asking that very question again, I think, but I do agree with you. I don't think that these are smart choices. And it feels to me that there was something very ominous about the kind of open disregard for Rania, like the sassing of talking about a targarian that way. You know, oh, the whore who advises her, you know, the they would never have said that stuff.
Speaker 2: In front of a series.
Speaker 3: This is a man who chopped a man's face in half of saying the kids who are bastards were obviously bastards. So I think this Obviously we're going to get a bigger moment of this with Damon. But I think this kind of highlights that Raniera does not have the power or sway or fear.
Speaker 2: That she thinks she everything.
Speaker 1: I think everything's just moving way too fast. Agree Ranier and Damon argue privately about her authority and orders. Damon says, listen, I'll deal with Aymond and Vagar after the city Watch thing is taken care of. We really need to to take care of that, and he makes the case that Renier needs to stop caring about the graffiti and just get on with ruling the capitol, like, stop worrying about that. We go to Laris and Eggon. They're stumbling around the forest. Egon is this is I mean we talked about Emma Darcy, Tom Glencarney is great.
Speaker 5: This this.
Speaker 3: I think he is coming up for a little Emmy contention off this season.
Speaker 1: Man his So he goes on an Eggon goes on a little monologue here where he basically says, you know, my parents favored Aimoned. They taught him everything. He was the perfect little boy. He was so great with the swords, he claimed vagar and he basically winges a lot, and it's Tom Glencarney's performance is so wounded and so bitter, but also like there is there's just some of the brattiness of egg On in previous seasons is toned down, where he's just been vulnerable in a way that you're not used to seeing from him, and it really lands. I was like, Damn, I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm literally I get it, dude.
Speaker 3: I'm literally like tearing up because I do think that there is this kind of unbelievable little triptick here where you get the Aimond moment and you hear Aimon's fears and how he knows he was the most loved, but how he worshiped his brother and how that was like never really received, and then you get egg On and you get this really vulnerable moment of him talking about his position, and you buy into both of them because the performances are so good.
Speaker 2: But then the real gut punch moment for me is Laris.
Speaker 3: His response to egg On is so fantastic, and it is this kind of monologue ready moment where he basically just says, hey, actually, your whole life you've had.
Speaker 1: That's the but that you're you're right, but yeah, yeah, go for it. Missaria goes to see Alison. She's heard about the potion. She's learned about the potion through one of her spies in the castle.
Speaker 2: Finally she's doing it.
Speaker 1: Whoa okay, but like, okay, so part one is finding out about the moon tea. Part two in doing your job is like correctly assess what's going on. Alison very deftly and with ease, fools Messaria into believing that the moon tea is for her, and she drinks it in front of her, and Massaria tries to like lightly grill Alison about who had knocked her up, but of course, you know, Alison manages to wiggle out of that one. Sorry but if this is I'm sorry, but if if Missaria fans want to use this as a feather in their cap from Masaria doing good job, she failed it again. She got bamboozled by Alice.
Speaker 2: I gotta say this is I love Alison. We know I'm an Allison apologist.
Speaker 3: Her homosexuality has changed the entire source material and we love her for it. But This is Allison at her most fucking conniving, and it's kind of cool to see Olivia cook back at it. I mean, I was so shocked in this moment by how easily manipulated Massaria was.
Speaker 2: The I texted the x Ray Vision group chat was like, is this gonna be a fucking love triangle? Like, is Alison gonna manipulate her Laris style?
Speaker 3: There's this great these great moments of knowing where Alison tries to play on the fact that they both care about Raniera, they've both known Raniera, and also like, guess what Raniera knows that I have a fucking boyfriend, and she uh knows a bit well about herself, and Massiria tries to kind of poke and imply that she knows it's Kristen Cole.
Speaker 2: It's so well done. But Alison fucking wins.
Speaker 3: And this is that conniving, old town, fucking high tower bitch that we have not seen for a while, because she's gonna do whatever it takes to keep Helena and the baby safe.
Speaker 1: Clearly, Cole and GWayne are tromping through the woods and GWayne is discussing Ormond, basically saying he's a thin skin twat, but he's a very very smart guy, and you know he's a capable fire and he then says, man, old Town, you gotta see it. You got to see it when the sun is rising over West russ from the from the high tower. It's so good. You gotta come there. We'll hang out like you're doing a job. It's like it's everything. Let's get away from all this, Like when this is done, let's go to old Town. Come with me, and let's just brow out. Then suddenly the horses start screaming and falling down, and we see that Oscar Tully and Dustin have spread these little sharp metal coltrops is what they call them in real life, but in the world they call him crow's feet and they get stuck into the horses feet and cripple them. Basically, so put his horse out of its misery. Damon talks to Captain Largent, Commander Largent of the City Watch, and he's like, you guys went a little overbord in the graffiti. Shit, you need to shill out. Largin is like, well, what do you want me to do? My guys are getting like disemboweled in the streets and nobody knows what's going on, and Damon's like, well, I know exactly what to do. I Am going to make a big speech then, and I'm gonna lift their spirits. But before he can do that, there's some screams from nearby alley and they find two more guys with their guts cut open in an alley. These are Ormond spies that are doing this, and we watch the one of them send the latest update, I guess to Ormond and Tumbleton via Pigeon. Ormond is managing the you know, the hardening of Tumbleton. He chats with Darren about history and about leadership and politics, and tests Darren about his understanding of both of those subjects. Ormond gives a very praiseful history of Mariah Martel, the Yellow Toad of Dorn, who resisted the first Eggon's repeated attempts to conquer Dorn in a using gorilla tactics. In a very very smart and ruthless way. Ormond tells Darren that the Targerians never understood the culture of west Ross, the various cultures of Wes west Rosi civilization. Then Darren makes a winning move in Cyvass and Ormand gets really mad really really really fucking mad. But then like flips on, Diamond tells Darren never ever apologize for making a winning move. And then he's like, I gotta show you something. You're gonna love this. Oh no, and he goes into his little person. He pulls out a coin and he's like, I had you minted as king Darren, so guess what your ring begins now. So this is obviously a huge problem because I mean, insane mood, I would consider it a long shot that Darren takes the throne, but now he's been kind of forced into it.
Speaker 3: Jason is when we think about kind of just on a minimal TLDR level, like this doesn't seem like a smart Marshall play to me from Ormond, do you think he has the backing and the support that we just don't know about?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that he thinks. I think he's got more irons in the fire than he's letting on this.
Speaker 3: This is what.
Speaker 1: We are circling around because everybody keeps saying Riniera keep saying why tumbled him, Why he's got something else?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: We're gonna find out, I think at some point. But he's clearly got an another part to his grand plan, and it's not just hunker down and tumbledon and wait for the attack. Like He's got some other thing. So we will see in the gods Wood of the Red Keep. Alison again goes to Helena and she's now like, listen, we got to get out of here. Okay, we need to go right now because our lives are in jeopardy here and I have bribed a maid to help them, and we're gonna use the secret tunnels. We're gonna go out through Baylor's room and we're gonna leave. And Helene is like, well, what about Yourhara mm hmmm. Alison's like, well, we're gonna have to leave her because they're just gonna slow us down. And Helene is like, I'm not going to do that. And Alison is like, listen, Ranier is not going to kill like a baby girl.
Speaker 2: I swear she's a queen who was raised above men, but she would do that. She would never think somebody else would do that.
Speaker 1: And she's like, I promise, like, when we get out of here, we will send for her one day. But Helena like knows for sure that Alison is lying, Well, we're right back. More emphasis and we're back. Adam Bayla continue to pursue Vagar, but there are always like several steps behind. They talk about the fact that Bayla takes on a lot of the guilt of Jase's death and she's trying to make up for it by finding Vagar. Adam meanwhile, is like, we got to take We're just working too hard. We need some downtime, we need to rest, like we need some quality time for ourselves. Like maybe we'll go out and have a date. Like it's clear that he has a crush on her exactly. It's whatever he's says you and he's kind of like, don't.
Speaker 5: Worry, like I'll save you, like if you get married away, like I'll get you back, Like and we can as long as we eat some delicious apple and cheese fast or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He really wants that to snack. He's on it.
Speaker 1: Amond in heron Hall is having another nightmare. He weaks up and he finds that Alice is at his bedside, and he's like he had this weird feeling about Vagar, and Alice tells her. Alice tells him that Vagar flew away, and apparently, like this shouldn't happen, right, But somehow their bond has been broken, and Aimond is very troubled by this. He goes to the balcony, he's looking out over the skies. Can't see her, he can't feel her, he says, Without her, I am nothing, And he just doesn't know what to do. Now. He realizes that King's landing has fallen, that Eggon is dead, that he killed him, and the you know, the realm probably believes that he killed him. So Alice, you know, is continuing to mother Aimen through this like really darkness.
Speaker 2: Yeahs soule.
Speaker 3: I also want to ask a question here about the bond, Jason. Is this something that you think Alice and Haroen Hall could be behind, like some kind of spiritual ac cult separation or distance, almost like a you know, the Sleeping Beauty of it all where everyone was asleep in the castle and nobody could get through the thorns, Like is that it? Or is this a true broken bond where Vega could maybe even be claimed by somebody else.
Speaker 1: I doubt that, I think it. It might be the magic of her itself. Like that's why I think, you know, because he is being drawn closer and closer into like the bosom of this weird, magical place. Eggon meanwhile, has fallen into despair. Even deeper into despair, he realizes, like, I'm never getting to wend Dishtown to kill Aimen, Like that's the odds of doing that are very, very slim. My dragon is dead. My mom never loved me. I thought Amen was the better one. And the whole realm thinks that he killed me. And that's so embarrassing. And Laris now comes back with sick All you do is complain, and this brutal monologs.
Speaker 2: So many people are going to be monologuing this as drama. It's so good. It's such a fucking powerful performance.
Speaker 3: And I love in this moment that Laris fucking knows that Eggon fucking relies on him and needs him to survive, so he can fucking say whatever the fuck he wants, and he does so.
Speaker 1: He basically says, listen, you've had you were born with a golden spoon in your mouth. You're named after the conqueror. Your dragon is so beautiful they named it after the sun. You had the best nights training. You like, give me a fucking break.
Speaker 2: You could have done anything, bitch, and you just drunk it and raped it away, because this is like, this is like.
Speaker 1: Steph Curry calling himself an underdog. It's like you were raised by an end be a player and have the best like professional training, like from the youngest age. Give me a break.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: It's this incredible scene, and it's unclear it seems to break egg on a little bit because Laris basically says like you had all these advantages and in the end all you did was fuck random whorrors and drown him media and you were a terrible king and a terrible man, which is a parmer blow. Raniera goes to the sept and she's praying. Part of this is clearly like a pr stunt because she's trying to get the faith on her side so that she can be anointed. Damon comes in and just like a laughs you're doing this. He kneels and they speak in high Valarian. Raniera is like, listen, I admit that I was wrong about a bunch of stuff, but you know, particularly about the city Watch, and the importance of the city Watch right now and the security of our government because the enemy is clearly inside the walls needs to be confronted and Raniera is feeling that. We get the sense that maybe this isn't all a Pierre stunt, because she's saying, right, the gods have forsaken me, Like if the gods were for me, why is everything so hard?
Speaker 2: And he was trying to strike me down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Damon gives a great version of the Laris speech where he's babe, are you fucking kidding? Like you thought it was gonna be easy. You thought it was gonna be summer all the time and everything. Raniera, we love you, we love you, we love you. No, it's gonna be hard. It's gonna be very hard. There are people in this country who will never ever support you because you're a woman, period, and you need to accept that that's reality.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I love this writing. I also want to.
Speaker 3: Say I thought about you a lot while I was watching this, Jason, this scene like both the times I watched it, because this, to me is you use this phrase a lot that the Targarians are Aliens and west Rows, and I totally understand it on a conceptual level. This is the first scene where I feel like I saw it. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Like Raniera is trying so hard to understand why any of this soothes people, why they care about it, how it gives them hope, because she fucking wants that. But her and Daemon are They're like tourists looking at each other, and everyone is watching them, and everyone is trying to not watch them, and they are so conspicuous, and they are so alien, and her head is dipping and diving like a dragon. This was the moment where I thought, oh, they are aliens here, like they actually do not understand it. And this is one of the first times I feel like I've seen a targarian who isn't doing as much of a good job.
Speaker 2: At covering it up. Like Raniera seems lost here. This does not seem like where she grew up.
Speaker 1: Laris Eggon give up on the Wendish Town revenge mission or Eggon does they arrived back at Rook's Rest. I don't think they got very far. They probably like seriously bad times, so they come back. And it's clear that Laris's little speech really affected egg On because he sits down and basically says, all right, hire the ship to Bravos, let's get out of here. I like my business here has done, like you're let's go with your original plan and let's just get out. And then someone says, what ship would that be? And it's folks, it's Thailand, Lanister so Vive the Battle of the Gullet.
Speaker 6: He's alive, crazy and this matter is pissed to every provosi.
Speaker 2: He hates every prophosa.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 2: He's a guy who went to Thailand and got fucked over biosex. So he tried to abuse that.
Speaker 6: He's not happy about it, like it's so funny, bro, you fucked up, but he is so mad about it.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking fun Like he's such an idiot. But he's alive. He's alive. Jason.
Speaker 1: In the Red Keep, Alison and Helena disguise themselves as maids and they're about to leave when Massaria discovers them. Alison then bamboozles Massaria again, convincing her basically by saying, hey, this is useful information. Maybe you'll be able to use it somehow, Like I understand you're in this, locked in this war of wills with Damon. This like weird love triangle in which you believe that you're in love with Raniera and every time she pays attention to you, you light up but you need to realize something. She and Damon are two sides of the same coin. She is never fucking leaving him for you. You need to get over it. And you need to take this information that you have about where we're going and how he left and have that as a coin in your purse for later. So keep your fucking mouth shut, give up on the idea that Raniera is ever going to be with you. And we're leaving, okay, And by the way, look around. Do you think Rniera is doing great? The high towers very well may take back the city, and when they do, you have information about where we went. So fuck off. We're leaving and they leave, and Massaria absolutely goes for it.
Speaker 7: And once again, as I don't know what the doing this is, I will when we get to the end of this episode, we will question what Massari is up to.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I gotta say, I think Alison, speaking of things going too fast, my baby girl, my queen, this is a really fucking dangerous play because you don't know.
Speaker 2: How in deep she is to Ranera. I know, al I mean she.
Speaker 8: Read her down, she did, she read her the fuckah she realized she realized just from looks across the room that Missaria was in love with Raniera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bitch, because she was also in love with Raniera.
Speaker 3: And also I do think that Allison's like, well, I did this with Kristin Cole, so I think I can probably do it with Massiria, which I kind of love her logic. But I also feel like, oh, I just love this scene because it's the moment when she says like, you know, you stand in like the warm light of her gaze.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, Allison, calm it down, lesbian. But yeah, I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: I think this is a fucking dangerous play by Alison because it immediately pits her against Raniera and makes her seem like she is complicit in whatever the high Towers are doing, which we don't think she is, but she's like kind of trying to win along by it to protect the babes.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it was a dumb plan. The ending is not looking good for anyone.
Speaker 1: I mean, to her credit, she's trying to save an unborn child's life.
Speaker 3: No I know, and I love Helenea, so do whatever you can to save Helena because she is one of the few good people in the Sea, so I support her, but I do think it's a dangerous swing. That is the first time she's really gone against Rnier since she's been her prisoner.
Speaker 1: More guys arrive at heron hall looking for aimand they sees Alice. Aimond pops out kills them all. Alice helps a little bit and they are all dead. And yes, Tyland Lanister, back in Rook's rest, argues with Laris about the ship escape plan. He's like, I don't like it. And by the way, you know why he doesn't like it. This guy is very, very anti sea voyage. After his last several months, he went all the way to Essos to pick up to get fucking Admiral Lohar on his side. It was a terrible fucking experience. Then he got thrown overboard during the Battle of the Gullet, barely survived. And so at this point he is anti large bodies of water. This guy is not getting on a ship. You cannot force him on a ship at gunpoint. He's not getting on a ship. Laris is like, well, listen, I got money in Bravos. I got a big house over there. We can live in the great style over there. Like, you're not going to miss a single thing. Tyland Lanister, though, is like, I got a better idea. We go overland to Lanisport, one of the great castles of the realm, built on a gold mine. You want to talk about gold, you want to talk about money, you want to talk about safety. How about we got it over there? And Lannis is like, oh, very interesting plan. You want to take Eggon to your own castle where you're gonna have him as your cat's baw blah blah blah blah blah. As this argument is unfolding, Janos, the local tough guy manager of the piss Bucket operation, comes and is like, oh, what ship are we talking about and pulls Eggon's crown out of his bag. So Eggon stabs the shit out and kills him.
Speaker 3: Why is Eggon carrying that crowd around in a bag like he's fucking Rapunzels from Tangled? I know you gotta have it in like at least two bags, I would say, and then another bag. And also I have to say, I speaking of how good Tom Connie's being in this, I love the ferocity with which Eggon kills this man, Like it's so violent, it's so vicious and it's so much of his anger that we've seen in this episode.
Speaker 2: And when he says you can call me your grace as he stabs him in the throat, and look, it's.
Speaker 6: Very dumb, and Laris and Tyler Monister are like, fuck, this guy's an idiot. But you get this moment of like, oh shit, like Eggon's different when he comes back, it's going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: Damon makes his speech to the City watch boys, and it's a fucking doozy. It's a great one classic.
Speaker 4: He's like, you know, the capital, all that stands between the Capitol and chaos and insurgency is us.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's us, boys.
Speaker 4: When the empire's expanding, who will be first to dip their hands in the t's gonna be wearing some silks six.
Speaker 2: Months down the line. And they all fall for.
Speaker 1: It, by the way, they're going crazy and he wins them over. Colesman meanwhile approached Stoney scept behind that sadly the river crossing has been burned by the Rivermen, and GWayne is like hanging by a thread.
Speaker 2: He's lost it.
Speaker 3: And also, I want to say this is a really interesting episode for fans of hating Kristin Cole, I like myself, Bro, He's going through it. They're getting leaked, They're getting fucking stabbed by thorns. It's like nature itself is against their quest. And I love to see this man despair. I'm really interested to see where this goes for Coal and GWayne, because that has been an interesting pairing, and I think that where we leave it is very interesting.
Speaker 1: Damon and Largent torture one of Ormond's spies. They want to know, you know, how many are they? Where are they? The man shows them a coin that he has hidden on him, and apparently the coin of King Darren has already made its way to the capitol. It's already spreading around. Gwaen tries to lift cole spirits by just being like, listen, I don't know, you know, we could go to Tumbledon, we go anywhere, you know. Yeah. Cole is like the path is set before me. I'm gonna pursue the riverman, I'm gonna I'm going down with the ship. Basically, I Am going to fight until I die. And Gwen's like, but we've lost half her guys already, and everybody's like sick and tired, and you know, slogging through the mud. They got leeches on their balls, like we're gonna terrible and calls like, well, guess what I want to That's how I want to go out, and gween Is is dumbfounded by this.
Speaker 3: Also gotta say, simp Cole forever, because he did say he tells a sad story.
Speaker 2: He wants to die. He wants to die and Glory be killed in his own way because the Greens and the.
Speaker 3: Blacks have always used them. And then he says, and maybe they'll sing songs of me the Allison will hair Okay, simp, calm down, calm down, I love him is insane love.
Speaker 1: The queen he loves. Allison and Helena are in the secret passageway is trying to get out. They go in, navigate their way down, but their torches go out, the doors inside are locked and now they're fucking trapped. Meanwhile, Damon, after his big speech, I guess was walking around the city is like, we're all the storms. I don't see anybody. So he goes to City Watch HQ to find out like where the patrols are, and he walks in on Largent and what looks to me like fifteen or twenty at of the City Watch, all dead at their table, big graffiti in back of them in blood that says calls them all traders.
Speaker 2: It's as feast betray as. Yeah, it's very lost, uppa, very very bad.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back. All the work and we're back. It's all going downhill, dude. It's about the extent that other than the rat feast, it feels like Rania is holding on by the slimmest of slimmest of slimmest of threads. Without the City Watch. Who's going to provide security in the capital now Tumbleton unsure what to do. She does have huge armies in the field and the most dragons, but she seems totally incapable of raising enough money to placate the people in the capitol. And it's just kind of groping around blind. She doesn't know where Aimond is, she doesn't know where Vaga is, she doesn't know what Ormond is doing in Tumbleton, doesn't know where the Triarchy guys are that are raiding the area. She doesn't know much right now.
Speaker 3: I agree, Jason, it's a worrying state of affairs for Vernera. I also think that there is something very insidious and unfortunately very natural that is unraveling here, which is Damon's ability to listen to a woman, or to listen to anyone in the small Council meeting. When he defies her and tells her he'll do it on his own time, I just think that's such a huge blow. Even if that's the case, he needs to pretend he listens to her in public, you know, like she is constantly being questioned and denied and the septum won't anoint her. She needs a yes man in public, and it should be Damon, but that's just not who he is. I fear what Damon will do to Missaria and the.
Speaker 2: Small folk post the Last Supper for the Gold.
Speaker 3: Do you know Reniera does kind of have that big conversation about how she feels like the gods are conspiring against her. Do you think that is hints of Targarian madness or do you think she is sensing a truth about what is to come?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean she's been fed this prophet which has some kind of basis in magical fact, that a Tarierian must be on the throne to defeat the White Walkers. However, she thinks that's her, and so there is kind of the first misstep when dealing with this kind of mystical thinking. But I think it's a very natural kind of thought process to wonder, if you've been told this, why everything is so difficult? And yes, I do agree. I think she's going to come. I think she's going to take a part of Damon's advice, which is, what did you think it was going to be easy? Just because like it's prophecy that this is going to happen, and she's going to combine that with this kind of prophetic ideology that she has, and I think she's going to come to a place where she just decides, I've maybe been a little too merciful, a little too soft, a little too sensitive to the opinion on the streets, and I need to just like fucking crack down. Why do I care that the septin won't annoy me. Let's find a guy who will exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean the fact she hasn't done that already in you know, let's say, from what we know about how Game of Thrones and Westeros was run later on, like it is kind of crazy that she does not just kind of take that charge.
Speaker 2: We've seen many other people do it. I think we will see her approach things that way.
Speaker 3: I'm very interested to see how she can keep the reins on Damon after this. I think that is going to be a big issue. I'm also going to bring up to me the elephant in the room, Ari Masaria, your most draftable player, Jason. She did she block the tunnel in Baylor's room that I think it was bricked up? Do you think that was done after the men went in to.
Speaker 1: Kill Jaris, Yeah, the kilken innocence, it was probably done after that. That said, that's amazing there, and it just might be the case that they got lost too.
Speaker 3: Though if she did, she should have already had that ship laid out, had a seventh go down and checked that it was open, because that's giving entombed in a fucking wine cella, Like, that's a ship, bro, And I don't want.
Speaker 2: Helena to go out that way.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say a failing of Targerian kings and rulers writ large since Megor has been a failure to map the tunnels in the ring. Huh, Like everybody knows they're there, but nobody knows where they go. No, it's kind of like hit or miss, like if you understand like where to get into them. Tyrian famously was able to use them to pop out and kill his dad on the shitter and and then escape the the castle.
Speaker 2: And as girlfriend too. Who nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just like completely misunderstood. And it seems like from administration to administration, if there is any kind of mapping or understanding of the geography of them, it is not passed on to the next group. So I'm not surprised that to find a dead end in there because people just don't. It's not they're not explored enough. And this is something that Turgerian's failed to do again and again and again, is really really explore those ons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised Otto didn't have a little blueprint map going you know that Allison could have or a little high tower blade.
Speaker 2: With some little you know, tunnel maps on it. Jason. Another thing I want to ask you then in that case is.
Speaker 3: Where are we going? And this is not a question because I don't, like I'm not following the series. I just think we are in a situation now where we know where Allison and Helena a trapped in a fucking like count of Montalado quinde of a situation like we love that cask of whatever it's called, Like we know that Ranera as fuck, she's blind to everything, Damon's mad.
Speaker 2: We have the fucking like Ormond is fucking ready, like he seems very prepared. But then we also have this entirely.
Speaker 3: Kind of separate issue with how Ranera is gonna respond to all of this? Will she danny out? Will she go crazy? What do you think we're gonna see? And how far into that are we gonna get as we head in because it seems like.
Speaker 2: A lot to deal with in a few episodes.
Speaker 1: I think I think we're the ultimate reveal has got to be what ormonds ski carp sleeve is. He's gotta have something. It seems like he's in too vulnerable a position. The Darren King play is so audacious. How can he be confident that he can be successful with this because clearly he is not a stupid man. So I think that's where we are heading, is okay, some sort of reveal of his plans. And I'm excited me too, because that's.
Speaker 2: Not books, So that's very exciting to me.
Speaker 3: Another big thing we get here, Jason, that I wanted to talk about because this is huge book stuff, but we've mentioned very vague. The aim and Alice stuff here is so fun. You see her kind of playing into those mother issues that he has. But there is also this flirtation between them. The men who come to raid Haron Hall when Aimon finally seems to recover, are you know, brigands.
Speaker 2: Their sexual assaults. They want to rape Alice.
Speaker 3: Aimen does not let that happen, and there is this very cathartic and brutal scene, but it's also very clear that this is now a toxic projection that Aimon has put onto Alice, a person who is essentially imprisoning him. Could you talk a little bit about how much more of that you think we're going to see and when we expect to see Amon kind of emerge from Haron Hall, if that would even be this season.
Speaker 1: I think he will emerge. He I think he will emerge this season. You know, this is one of the most mysterious plot points right books. I think that we will get We don't know what Alice's whole deal is, where does she come from, who is she? How old is she is? That, how she looks. Is she a shape shipter, is she some sort of Children of the Forest type, a magic dabbler, or like we we just don't know. And I think there will be some sort of reveal about what her the nature of her as a character, and what her intentions are, because clearly there they are centered around hairn Hall and and owning it somehow. She even says like, how dare you like attack me in the shadow of my own house? So she wants hair and Hall? But why and we've gotta I think we will figure that part of it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a moment in a note here, but I thought it was a really fun one.
Speaker 3: This kind of is a we get a big connection here thanks to Alan and Vania's conversation to the original Game of Thrones season, especially characters we love like Aria and the kind of settings of kings Landing. We see the cats, the ratcatcher cats running around the keep for the first time here redland the Landing. Could you talk a little bit about the cats and the role they playing?
Speaker 2: Kind of what that mean?
Speaker 1: The cats? They fired it, They fired all the rat catchers. This is the cheapest, most efficient solution to the problem, is like get the cats. And you know, I hadn't thought about it until now, but I think you're exactly right that these are the the cats that arises must be descendants of these original rights original cat army. Yes, well, we're going to continue to talk about House of the Dragon in this wonderful season. On the next episode of Exprivision, we're.
Speaker 4: Diving into an Odyssey round Table and then x N ninety seven episode two oh six Danger this.
Speaker 1: Episode, thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason SEPs Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza.
Speaker 3: Part Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.