Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 2: It's time for The Break on.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, September eighteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number thirty two. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Start, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot com Ford Slash o Ledevio. Welcome to the show. We've got a lot we're going to get into today. Cowboys versus Ravens is our first day. Moving on to week three of the season, we will get a breakdown from Brian on the Baltimore offense, which is scary versus the Dallas defense. We will get to some different topics. I had some questions I have around the Dallas defense and some things that they've been experiencing in ways that they're gonna have to approach getting better.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was gonna let you finish, but I made that face because I did want to ask you guys a question after you get done.
Speaker 4: I have one even after you all right, you know something, we're taking over the show.
Speaker 5: Whatever I was gonna say, it doesn't matter, Brian.
Speaker 2: What's the question?
Speaker 6: Does this defense have a problem with big offenses? And I mean big as far as personnel. If you play with are you built to play the what was at one time the modern passing game where everybody was throwing the ball and now you're kind of we're into that mix. Where about the Shanahan stuff, you know, and Shanahan's back in the day, I was, you know, I competed against the father you know, used Denver the way they ran the ball and stuff and played with a full back and all that. But are are the Cowboys built in a way, not at this current configuration, not to play against the big offenses and I mean big with full back, multiple tight ends, big bodied guys.
Speaker 5: Let me let me answer that question with a question, what was Cleveland? Because Cleveland feels to me like a big boy brand of football. Type team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't have their back. Yeah, but that back played pretty well for yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, and and Djoku I to me, I'm thinking I'm thinking with with Cleveland, maybe not so much with.
Speaker 2: The fullback and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they developed, they had a lot of fullback, didn't they.
Speaker 6: The quarterback had something to do with that too. I'm just trying to think about the teams that have kind of the teams that have given Dallas problems, the teams like a San Francisco and even maybe a little bit of a Green Bay the way they give Dallas the problems. If you play in twenty one personnel or twenty two personnel, that seems to be something. But you're right about Cleveland. I just don't know if Cleveland and Cleveland, like I say, yeah Cleveland, that Cleveland run the ball, they just didn't have the guys they normally run the ball with. Now San Francisco is watching them against Minnesota this morning. You know they've got a guy in Mason that could run the ball. Actually is even more physical than McCaffrey running the ball. So I was kind of curious, like what in Minnesota do to them defensively? A block punt, fourth down, interception, you know there was.
Speaker 5: San Francisco has not won in Minnesota since nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, Yeah, I was like, that seems weird, Like I had to go back and rewind on my team. Yeah, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 6: I just I just wondered that about that about cause you're BI.
Speaker 2: You were built to play in an era where teams.
Speaker 6: Remember there was a time, Derek, when I was working for you here at dot com where we were talking about if you ran the ball, and everybody remember how much we.
Speaker 2: Would do shows and everything.
Speaker 6: They're running it too much on first down, they're running it too much on second down every run play.
Speaker 2: And then everybody that.
Speaker 6: Was an analytics guy or gal was telling you that running the football was not the way to go because they were.
Speaker 2: Saying, running the football, you don't score enough. Okay, you don't.
Speaker 6: But now where are we We're to the We've built these defenses to combat the eleven personnel stuff, and now we're trying to get back to build defenses that can handle twenty one and twenty two. When I say that the two backs too tight end often I'm just for Jerry's Jerry, So yeah, always in my mind. But see That's where I wonder if Dallas Is did they try to with Mazzi Smith. You have three hundred and twenty nine defensive three h twenty nine pound defensive tackle, which.
Speaker 2: They never did under the Rod Marinelli administration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're asking defensively specifically, right, are they defensively to handle these things? I'll say this twenty twenty three absolutely not. I mean, if you look at the twenty twenty three roster, okay, then what has changed since twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. They've added a couple of big guys in the interior. We haven't loved to play from them so far. Right, you still only have four guys on your entire defense that are over two hundred and seventy pounds. You got Osa Digizua, Linval Joseph, Jordan Phillips and Mazzi Smith. Those four guys were your four worst run defenders on Sunday. So where does the weight? Where does the size actually come with the talent? I'm not quite seeing that so far. So I would say no, I would say because I know for sure that was the problem last year. They were not built that way last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll play especially play.
Speaker 5: I think that was more of the issue. Last year's injury forced them mental situation where they're still the right personnel this year. When you say built, I think they're built for it. I just think they're.
Speaker 2: Bad at it right now. They got the bodies we just talked about. They've got big bodies.
Speaker 5: They just aren't good at doing what they need to do in order to stop the run. And that's where I think, you know, you listen to somebody like Zimmer or you listen to what Jerry had to say. Their expectation at least is that they think they can fix it because they have the bodies. Like, the bodies are there. These are body.
Speaker 2: Tests to talent.
Speaker 5: Are they good enough is the question? Are they good enough to do what you need them to do in order to stop the run.
Speaker 2: I feel like that the one way.
Speaker 6: And I don't see them waving a magic wand and letting everything get fixed and all that, because I think they're going to have the same personnel. But you better figure out a way to keep these linebackers clean.
Speaker 2: I don't care if you have.
Speaker 6: To hold guys coming off the ball, or play with better angles or alignment, whatever you have to do, not to let guards and centers and tight ends and tackles come off on these linebackers, because if those guys.
Speaker 2: Are blocked, we see what happens.
Speaker 6: We saw that that they've you know, and some of that the Saints, we we interviewed there before the game in the pregame show, Mike Costs, their play by play guy, he was kind of talking about in the game. Coming into the Cowboy game, He's like, yay against Carolina that you know that aren't the running back there had not been was not touched, you know until like two and a half yards down the field albu Kamara was made. You know, it was two and a half yards before he was even getting touched. Kind of felt like even more when this game, it felt like he it felt like he was getting through.
Speaker 7: The hole and first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know it's like maybe six yards he was wouldn't getting touched, but that they were, they were that was something he was kind of hanging their hat. They're like, hey, we they blocked well enough in the running game. You know that. That's we were trying to kind of figure out is was this Saints team. Is it a smoking mirrors team or is it really a legitimate team. It looks like a legitimate team running the football.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: One thing I'll say, though, is I look at teams like San Francisco like maybe what we're seeing from the Saints, you might throw Green Bay in there. They don't. They don't look to me like a power running team like you would say Cleveland is Cleveland to me is a lineup and we're gonna go at yeah, and we're gonna overpower you, right. I don't look at those offenses as the kind of offenses that are gonna overpower you. They have, they'll go twenty one personnel, but they do a lot of different things in that the motions and pre stell like, they do so much stuff that I think it almost is like it just challenges you all around the field, and that's where it's so hard to defend. More so than we're gonna line up and we're just bigger, strong.
Speaker 2: With than this team you're about to play with. Ye that way. Yeah, I'll tell you this though.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what the watch in San Francisco with Mason that he's replacing you know, uh there McCaffrey, he's a downhill player. And then Jacob's playing for Green Bay from you know, from the Raiders. That's a different style of grade for them. Yeah, that's a different style of back for them. That is a hammer. Yeah, you know, so some of these teams have kind of figured out like, man, we're cool, we can we can move with the full back, we can move with the tight end. The movement part of to me is impressive. Just the physicality that these teams play with is that's even more impressive. JK.
Speaker 7: Dobbins as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chargers, the Chargers, and that's the coke.
Speaker 7: But we knew that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the.
Speaker 6: Head coaches got like blocking gloves on and cleats and you know that's that's his mentality. Yeah, you know, that's the attitude that you have there.
Speaker 5: So I just look at at at the way that the Cowboys are playing defense right now, and we all know they got to fix this part of their It is critical long year that they fixed this part of the And if you notice, I was watching Good Morning Football this morning, they were talking about right now, through two games, the league is heavily skewed right now toward running more than past.
Speaker 2: See that's and that's the part where you asked that question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, is the league flipping on us now, and if it is the Cowboys suited to be able to handle the change.
Speaker 6: There was a time where we could not handle eleven personnel. Everybody, jeez, we don't have.
Speaker 7: A third quarter.
Speaker 2: What the hell? Don't let them do this?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: And now and then college football, everybody plays so wide open, we're developing corners, and now it's like, well, okay, we're all.
Speaker 2: The big defensive linemen.
Speaker 6: You know, where are those guys to And now teams getting back, you know, especially the pro teams are like, you know, I damn, I knew this was going to happen. I figured it was gonna be Belichick. Everybody goes small, small, small, and Belichick was going to go big big, big big, and then and play. But the forty nine er dudes and well, actually the Shanahans at Washington with RG three and those guys, they kind of pushed this thing into I think twenty seventeen is when we kind of started seeing this kind of thing coming up.
Speaker 7: This defense is built like a big twelve defense. They need an SEC.
Speaker 2: Defense, not an LSU defense.
Speaker 6: A sorry, yeah, if you want to play Texas defense, that's I'm all for that.
Speaker 4: Kirby Smart, you had a question, what's your question? The uh you mentioned you mentioned? I completely forgot that I have the question you had mentioned.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going on to week three into Baltimore, and it feels like a little tougher to go into week three this time around. Do you feel like it's the same way across the hall. It's a little tougher to go into week three with a.
Speaker 7: Loss like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like from a mentality standpoint, from a cerebrush point.
Speaker 6: That's the kind of loss, Derek. You were around when we had those rushers. That was every week it was a two hundred yard rusher against us, remember Charlie Garner and yep, Ricky Waters. And every week it seemed like that was hard. And you're going in and you're thinking, damn, we were not very good stopping the run. And then all of a sudden, you kicked the tape on with the Ravens and there's twenty one.
Speaker 2: Twenty two.
Speaker 6: Oh look there's a fullback. Oh there's three tight ends. Oh there's oh look, there's a shifty move wide receiver that catches everything. Oh wow, this quarterback really runs really well. You know, that's that's the thing you could get a little beat down. The challenge is going to be for them to of course, to play with better you know, with better scheme and and better you know, better strength power, whatever you want to play. I mean, they're gonna have to get off some blocks in this game because this this when we get into this, this thing will challenge you. And I think that's the thing that would that's the thing that would give me some pause for this week, is you just went from the frying pan looks like, to the fire with this. With the way the Ravens offense, it's not about throwing the ball with them, it's really about that big back and it's about the quarterback's ability to run and an offensive line will come off the football the way they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's just from a mentality standpoint, it's it's got to be a little bit tougher to move on, especially considering the problems that they had in week two and how much better the Ravens are at each of those problems. Yeah, they say it's gonna be a quick application in learning, well learning and application.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what you know.
Speaker 6: For the defensive side of the ball, especially the defense has to look at this and say, okay, we we we saw. Maybe if you go down there and you shut the Saints out the way you do, you know, playing the way that they did with the twenty one twenty two personnel, you shut them down, you feel a lot better about playing the Ravens right now. You have to think about, man, everything that they exposed, the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Do and do it pretty well.
Speaker 6: That's the I mean, they're oh to two, but I'm watching them play Kansas City and then watching they you know, they've had they've had a history of falling apart in the fourth, much like the Philadelphia Eagles have. You know, they've they've blown some double digit leads. A field goal kicker ain't making fifty seven yard field goals anymore too. You know, there's some things going on there. So but this offense, it's it's got to look at what you did in the Saints game and feel like, wow, we can have some success doing this or doing that.
Speaker 5: Ye all right, let's take our first break when we come back. We're going to dive into Baltimore offense versus Dallas defensile debt and just a second with Stallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 8: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dtails.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an lg O led Evil TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might as well be on this sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 10: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lg O lad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 11: Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you.
Speaker 11: Don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 12: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a fandom, paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's.
Speaker 9: Here to help.
Speaker 13: With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, Bank of America NA member After I see equal Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 4: Back to the break, LG O led evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the lgled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com, slash O Leedevo.
Speaker 5: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios.
Speaker 2: At the Star.
Speaker 5: We're presented by LG. Let's go into this breakdown. Actually, before we get to the breakdown, that was a little bit of cowboys news we just heard about. You want to catch us up Nick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so a defensive tackle Jordan Phillips, who was acquired during training camp in a trade with the New York Giants. He has been placed on injured reserve with a wrist injury, meaning he will miss a minimum of at least four games. In his place, the Cowboys have signed Carlos Watkins, bringing back an old friend. He was on the Washington Commander's practice squad. Dallas poached him and signed him to the active roster so he could be ready to go as early as this week.
Speaker 5: All right, Hopefully that can give him a little bit of relief.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I remember if you remember Corlos Carlos Watkins days here and what he was able to do here. But I don't even know if he's still that player.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we need to we need to maybe figure that out. We got some of us have the ability to watch the tape. Others don't you know.
Speaker 2: I got him on back. I'm good.
Speaker 6: I was a little worried about you there for a minute, man, Yes.
Speaker 2: There you go. I'll say it.
Speaker 6: Nothing better than that watching that tape that way, you know, talking about the with the Ravens and stuff like that, and what's you know, what's what's ahead for you. It's it's very similar to what you saw with the Saints as far as personnel groups. You're going to see a team that plays with the full back with Patrick Ricard.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Not to be confused with the guy in the Star Trek episode, Jocard. Yeah, not to be confused with him. Uh, but yeah, Patrick Ricard. This is a team that plays with the real full back.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 6: They played with the legitimate running backs too. Derrick Henry is Uh. We all know the history of Derek Henry. You don't have to, you know, we all see the body type, the ability that he has. They line him up in a pistol formation, which is directly behind the quarterback a lot of the time, and then Jackson, Lamar Jackson will take the snap and they'll just turn and hand it to him and then let him attack down hill.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 6: They'll also this is a team that likes to get the ball on the edge if they can, because they've got tight ends that are really good at blocking. When you look at Mark Andrews, Mark Andrews always plays detached and I mean you know, he'll be either as a wing or he'll play like in a slot. It's rare that you see him down there playing what we call the in line tight end or right there on the line.
Speaker 2: But he's always going to be a guy there when.
Speaker 6: They get when when they run the ball at times that will get these really tight bunch formations, and then you'll see, you know, you'll see maybe Isaiah likely the tight end, and then Mark Andrews the tight end, and then Ricard all on the same side, and you're thinking, my gosh, you're loading up to run the ball over there.
Speaker 2: And then the next thing you.
Speaker 6: Know is Jackson will pull the ball and he'll go around the other end. So they make it appear that they're running one direction, that they're going to load up on one side, and you're gonna be you're going to be, you know, looking at that and going, okay, well here comes the strength. Here comes They're they're setting this thing up. They're putting all their blockers to one side, and now they're going to But the thing you're gonna have to worry about with this Lamar Jackson is his ability to pull the football and run that That is something that he is. He's not the thrower that you faced last week, but he's an elite runner.
Speaker 2: With the ball in his hands.
Speaker 6: He's like having an extra running back with with unbelievable ability to make you miss. So you're going to have to play discipline. You're gonna have to tackle well in this game.
Speaker 2: Every game. You got to tackle well. But this guy shakes.
Speaker 6: Loose more tackles, makes guys, breaks guys down. He makes small little plays that look like they're going to be stopped into huge plays, and so you're gonna have to be ready for that. His ability to run the football. But they're there. They're sound with their tight end room. They're very good with their running back room. They're wide receivers. I think the best wide receiver that they have on their team is Zay Flowers from Boston College.
Speaker 2: And Zay is the one.
Speaker 6: He wears number four, and he's going to be the guy that constantly plays in motion. They keep him on the move. They like to when they play under center. They'll hand him the ball and the Jets sweep if they if they get under center and then he runs a jet sweep and they fake it and then they flip it to Justice Hill or they'll flip it to Henry. So they've got some different combinations. But they'll Jay Flowers is a guy on the move, they'll throw them the screens. They like to run him up the field and kind of curl him back inside and then make it an easy throw for Jackson to have to make. They really try hard, you know, Todd makin their oc. He tries really hard to make as many easy throws as he can for Jackson. And so you're going to see a lot of routes where they go up and turn back. Last week we saw a lot of the crossing routes. You'll see a few of those crossing routes from what I saw in two games with the Ravens.
Speaker 2: But they really rely they.
Speaker 6: Want Jackson throwing the stationary targets because he's more accurate throwing the ball that way their offensive line.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 5: Before we go to there, I want to talk specifically about the passing game. Right now, they're ranked number one in total offense with the one hundred and thirty five yards and they're actually the interesting part about is a fourth and passing with one or ninety nine yards seventh and rushing at three hundred and thirty six yards. What's the key to the passing game? Because I going into this game. My assumption was that they're rushing, their running game would be much better than their passing game, but it looks like they've gotten more out of their passing games.
Speaker 6: It's today, It's Bateman the receiver is a nice player as a two ZA Flowers. I think has been really really good in the two games I watched. Like I say, they they try and create opportunities for for Jackson not to have to make some crazy throws. I mean, it's it's it's it's Andrew's up inside, likely up inside, likely up outside.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just some some.
Speaker 6: Simple type of a spot, stay to a spot, stand there, and they've they've they do a good job.
Speaker 2: They're good.
Speaker 4: An extension of that, they are good offscript and that that has helped facilitate their games and some the areas where they are just trying to pressure Lamar Jackson, not let him go anywhere he can escape and make some things happen.
Speaker 6: He made a throw against the Raiders. I don't know if you got to see the Raiders tape at all. He gets flushed to his right and he throws the ball all the way across the field of flowers, and so like they just lost him like it's like a it's the play breaks down and now Jackson's running. And there's times where you see him running and moving around and him having to throw off his back foot and him not get enough on the ball or get it to the outside with enough pace. You know, when he stands and able to throw, he's kind of a flick the wrist quarterback. He's not a big, winded up and let it fly guy. He's more of a just kind of sit there and flick and so you see, you know, that's why the underneath stuff, the out stuff. He's able to throw those things. And I wouldn't be surprised if they try and take a shot after what we saw last week with the seventy yarder. And you know, if they could get Zay Flowers. They've got Nelson Aguilar who's kind of could be a vertical player, but Flowers is the one that I think that they'll they'll probably take the shot with.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you something one Flowers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the last three years that Flowers was at Boston College, he worked with Steve Shimko, who's now an offensive assistant with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Do you think that helps in any way?
Speaker 6: That was my question, Yeah, how to defend him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it could be just you know, hey, I know these little nuances that he didn't do great with two years to go in college.
Speaker 7: Does he work?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Why do I feel like? Why do I feel like? You know that?
Speaker 6: And maybe across the hall they're not. Maybe if our coach steps up and says, hey, I was with this guy at Boston College, anybody wants to know. But no, I I think that the thing with Flowers to me and the way they kind of they try and keep you from getting a bead on where he is is the movement with him. You know how they like to move him across the formation. Uh, they like to keep him moving so you can't double him or if you or it shows if you man, maybe you're running and he's running you through trash that type of player. But I he's a good young player. I mean he catches the ball. He's he catches the ball. Well, there's a couple of times where there were contested catches in the Raiders game where he was he had he they got knocked it out of his hands. But other than that, I mean he is a web I I can say. I think this running game is going to be the thing that these linemen are. They're really They've got some guys that that have got some athletic but the center Tyler Lindebaum. If you watch the draft show, if you follow the draft show, we were kind of all hopeful that they would have drafted Tyler. But he's a he's a smaller guy, you know, he's a lighter, smaller guy.
Speaker 2: But they pull him.
Speaker 6: They get all these guys out in space. We've seen the crack toss. We saw that, the pin and poll stuff, we saw that last week. It's all stuff that the that the Ravens do if they have a problem in past protection. And I'm gonna Nick, I'm glad you're here. It's the right tackle is Daniel?
Speaker 2: Uh Yeah? I always always Daniel. I thought it was for you.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, anyway, he's the one guy at the right guard spot that he came from. He's a massive guy and he he came from the yeah, from the University of Minnesota, and Minnesota at the time during COVID Derek, they had guys that were six year players, six year starters on their offensive line and Foalole was one of these guys. He was a tackle and I remember him because how big he was. He's six' eighties, three hundred and eighty pounds, and so he's a massive guy. So how do you take advantage of maybe a little bit of lack of foot quickness? And that's what some people were able to do with him. You know, he is not the quickest guy when it comes to coming off the ball, and he's the one guy when matched up one on one. I went back and I was like, Okay, give me the guys with all the pressures. This is the guy that gives up the most pressures and that's the guard. So somehow, some way, if you know, you get you know, if OsO Diggy Zoowa, somebody can find a way, if you can get these guys into some passing situations, that's the guy right there that I would probably take a shot at, because the more I watched him, the more I saw a three hundred and eighty pound man that struggled with quickness and struggle with his own quickness off the football.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go ahead and take our final break. When we come back, I want to know a little bit more about Derrick Henry. Is there a way to stop him? And does do the Cowboys have the things necessary in order to be able to slow him down. We'll let when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 14: Ready, it's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 14: Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker.
Speaker 14: Is full of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wiitball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 10: Lgole led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com. Slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 15: From the field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and staf stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at Lucasey dot com. Lukesey, the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys, and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 8: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew AT and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final segment of the break Live from this s WBC Mortgage Studios At the Start, presented by LG. Let's talk about Derrick Henry. He is a first year with the Baltimore Ravens. He has been throughout his career menace when it comes to trying to tackle him. What is if there's anything that slows him down? What exactly is it? And does Dallas have that key ingredient? In order to nullify him or at least slow him down a bit in a game like this.
Speaker 4: For me, if I could at least from his time with the Titans, there's a small sample size for his time with the Ravens. He had decent O lines during his time with the Titans, and you know, they were able to pay running lanes for him, but he was really able to succeed when they had passing weapons that were able to, you know, kind of distribute the the intention from opposing defenses.
Speaker 7: And does Baltimore have that.
Speaker 4: I think they do, and say Flowers and a healthy Mark Andrews, and especially a Lamar Jackson type weapon that they also have to account for. So for me, it's always been okay, if they are not threatened by the other weapons on the team, then they load up the box and they go after Henry and they're typically able to find some success doing that. So whenever they can apply two or three guys on him, you know, that's that's the obvious kind of solution to taking down a bowling ball. But that's that's kind of what I've seen in the past. You have to put multiple guys on him, and one guy cannot bring him down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I was just looking through his game logs.
Speaker 6: He's had some days like, yeah, at a buck eighty eight against Kansas City, and you know in twenty nineteen, follow that up with a buck fifty nine against Jacksonville, followed that up with a with a buck forty nine against Indy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: This, this scheme that the Ravens have allows him. You would think that that tossing him the ball or you know sometimes those big backs, you know, I remember Brandon Jacobs, Yeah, with the Giants, and you wanted to get Brandon Jacob's playing sideways. You know, you wanted if you could get penetration up the field, hold the point and then make him have to bounce or play sideways, you had a really good chance of slowing down a big back like that. It's when these guys see an opening and then they hand him the ball. They just turn and hand it and now he's going downhill at a hole that's it's difficult to close or to get somebody over. And just the way that the Ravens with the he could he's really good taking it inside. He's good at taking it inside and bouncing it. He's good bouncing it he's good taking it straight outside. But the Ravens have got all these disability with their They're they're like especially their left tackle Staley, that running off the left side, Andrews Staley likely you know, they get a crack over there, they get by East and they and the recard they just push you. And now you got your fighting blocks and they got this two hundred and fifty pound guy running the ball at you.
Speaker 2: It makes it very, very difficult.
Speaker 6: And you know the best thing I can think of with with to try is just just to crowd that line. And you know what, if Lamar Jackson's going to beat you throwing the ball this game.
Speaker 2: So be it, so be it.
Speaker 6: I might put every body I got in that box and dare them to beat me throwing the football. And if you're good enough doing that, then I tip my hat to you. But I am not going to let you hand the ball to that guy eighteen nineteen times in this game and get one hundred and fifty one hundred and sixty yards. I'm not going to do it. I'm going to put as many bodies in that box and I'm going to say I dare you. And on the flip side of that. If I was the Ravens, I would play dime the whole game.
Speaker 2: I would think the exact same thing as you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just play dime the whole game. And like, listen, I dare you to run the ball today. I dare you to try and run the ball today. Because you won't run the ball, you will throw against my dime package. Both teams are in a in a little bit of a bind. You know, Jackson could throw, but Jackson will also make some mistakes. You'll make some mistakes. But it to me, I I load that box up, and I'm like, if you're good, if you're gonna if you're running against eight nine guys the whole day and you have success, my god, you're a better football team than me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how I would play this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean you're gonna be asking these d beasts to be playing a lot of one on one, but hey, this season.
Speaker 6: Yes, I you know what, I have a better chance. I would have a better chance of stopping the run and stopping them, you know.
Speaker 2: And like I say.
Speaker 6: Make Lamar Jackson, make him drive the ball, throwing the ball, make him Yeah, if he if he's if he keeps hitting flowers, and hits the tight end and hit you know they keep doing that, then then that's you know, hey, it's better than them running the ball down your throat because you're probably gonna get Jackson making a mistake. You know, he'll overthrow one, he'll throw one behind a guy, they'll get tipped in the air. Maybe you get a turnover, but you really don't right now, after last week, your answer for playing run defense is not great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one solution that could help you win this game. You just need to figure out how to win the time of possession battle. If you can figure that one out, because they are going to come out and run on first and second down almost every single play or almost every single drive. If you can somehow figure out how to win the time of possession battle within all of that, you might find a way to win this game. But I just that's where I don't see the Cowboys being able to make up that difference, because hey, they don't have a running game, so it's not like they can chunk clock around.
Speaker 7: I think it's going to be a ten minute difference at the end of this game.
Speaker 5: We didn't talk much yesterday about Damoon Clark, but I want to get an evaluation from both of you guys, what did you see from him in this last game, and then you can even go back to game number one, what did you see from him really over those two games, and how do you evaluate where he is at this point.
Speaker 4: I think with Damon Clark, obviously a lot of responsibilities have been taken over, his taken off of his plate coming into twenty twenty four and still trying to find his new role, I think is still the assessment that I see from the first two games. But I think there was no player on the defensive side of the ball that I could have credited great play to. I think Michael Parsons had some moments. I think Chauncey Golsten had some moments, but I want to look at Damn Clark specifically. I mean, there was times that I mentioned where Eric Kendricks Mayslea fal even overshown in mensusis we're having to play two gaps at a time. Yeah, and there were times when Demonk Clark was having to do the same thing. But there was also times when de moonk Clark had a one gap reading he missed it. So it's like, I think it's still trying to figure out.
Speaker 6: That a role.
Speaker 4: But also he needs a consistent defensive front to be able to do that. When you're being asked to do something and the people around you are not doing their jobs, it's really tough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's he's a good player, he's not good enough to do everyone else's job. I think Nick's right about that when you ask him, Okay, your responsibility is this. I think he's pretty good at doing that. But don't ask him to do a lot of things. And this is where that comes in about with overshown. You know, how how do you find a way? Is that leaf Al Clark who comes off the field. My gut feeling is if they had to take a guy off the field, they would probably take Clark off the field, would be my guess. H And if to play overshown. But again, here's here's a team you're probably gonna see. You know, eighty nine percent of their their their snaps last week were base defensive snaps. You know, this team gets in that twenty one personnel twenty two personnel like we saw. You know, the Ravens are going to say, okay, we're going to make you play based defense again because you didn't do a very good job of that. But to me, if you need to think about you need to think about where Overshown fits in that bass package. You need his ability to finish with you know, he when he could get through a hole or he didn't have to fight the block and he can run, He could tack guys for no gains or small gains. You need that on the field.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: Let's flip that and let's do an evaluation on Kaitlin Carson rookie had two games. Now what are you seeing from him that he's doing well? And what are areas where you look at it and you say, if he doesn't fix this, other teams are going to see it and it's going to be exploited in future weeks.
Speaker 4: I'll start with that backside thought speed. We saw that on display Rashid Shaheed or a Lave, these guys were able to get some wiggle off of them, you know, at the top of their routes and was able to kind of get away from Carson at times. Carson is an aggressive guy, and I think that's probably what Al Harris saw on film from Wake Forest and said, hey, we want this guy because we can kind of fine tune this a little bit and make a turnover machine out of it. With that being said, though, you're still going to have a lot of cons that come with that, and one of those being accounting for speed. I think at times that was Stefan Gilmore's biggest issue last year, especially later down the season. So when he lines up against these speed weapons, they are able to blow by him, and we saw that on a multiple occasions from Rashid Shaheed, Chris Alave and some of those other passing weapons for the for the Saints, even at a couple of snaps where he's lined up on Kamara. I think I think with Kayln Carson, it's it's going to be a reps thing for sure. But I think if he can he can get a little bit more depth at pre snap, he'll be able to kind of account for that a little bit more. Yeah, because I like the physicality from him. I just want that physicality at the top of routes too, even if it comes with penalties.
Speaker 7: I'm okay with that. We haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 4: I would be okay if he has a physicality penalty at the end of the day, if it shows that he's trying to push guys off off the route.
Speaker 6: Man, I maybe this approach is terrible to take. I would play him as much press as I could, because he I feel like, yeah, give me the I feel like a depth they can run on him and I don't.
Speaker 2: And when they run on him, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think he's his quickness is good, but I don't think it's I don't think it's the ability to like to peddle and to turn and to go. I think anything when he could play press and get hands on and then try and maybe make that receiver have to start stop, start again, that kind kind of play into a strength. You could see the separation on the end cut routes and the things like that. I mean, at depth, it just didn't seem like there was that explosiveness that you really wanted. I mean, there's I could also see being a little nervous about the speed, you know. You know, we've seen him in the remember the Rams preseason game where he looked very tentative playing, you know, and I felt like against the Browns he was a little bit more aggressive what he needed to be. And then all of a sudden, you can deal with some guys that can run a little bit then, But I would play him as much press and just let him bang guys at the line of scrimmage, bang them, run and sink and go with him the huge play they had, the huge the seventy yard touchdown pass. They're playing cover too, And I said it, they're playing cover too, and he's got a jam in sink.
Speaker 2: He misses the jam. He doesn't even jam, he just sinks. And now you got a free runner on those safeties. And so he's got to learn. You know, your technique is important. If they ask you to jam, you got your jam. The defense depends on you playing it the right way. But me personally, I worry about him playing from some depth.
Speaker 6: I know he was his zone player, but until he kind of gets a good feel for it, I'd put him up, let him be physical, let him try and run with defenders or excu me receivers. If he gets a couple of defensive holding penalties, fine their five yard penalties, but learn learn along the way to on how to make those plays.
Speaker 4: Do you think there's a more a higher likelihood though, if he's playing more press, he's going to give up more big plays at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: If he misses with the jams. Sure, okay, sure, But to me, is.
Speaker 7: That because of the speed, Because of the speed.
Speaker 6: I think, to me, if depending on how much cover two you play, maybe if you're one of those safeties, if you're a hooker or you're Wilson, especially hooker, keep an eye on the rookie side of the field, you know.
Speaker 2: Keep it digs.
Speaker 6: Digs you can digs, you can say, Okay, he's fine, I need to think about cheating over to this guy's side a little bit until they kind of figure those things out. Beat a couple times digs did digs from depth too, running running inside, you know, and that's something you did, You really were when these guys play off. It's just it doesn't seem like anybody in the league is covering the crossing routes anymore. Oh yeah, every time I look up, somebody's hitting a big play on the crossing routes. Nobody able to kind of carry outs inside. And when I'm looking at corners, that's what I always think about. You carry outs inside. You can play cornerback for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it used to be a time when you could defend the crossing routes by having a safety down there would just break the guy in half. Yeah, you can't really do that in the same way anymore. We don't live in the days of Ronnie Lotton new or being able to just kind of break guys up. Yea, but yeah, I think my question for you guys on Kaylan do you feel like he is as I as I put it age appropriate. Do you feel like he is where he's supposed to be at this point in his career or do you think he's ahead?
Speaker 2: Do you think he's behind.
Speaker 7: I think he's ahead.
Speaker 4: I mean if you're looking at a fifth round pick rookie, I mean you're getting what you You're getting more than what you could have expected out of him when you picked him an April.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's a liability at all time.
Speaker 6: I mean teams have thrown the ball at him and you know he's just he's got to he's got to take better angles.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are things he's gonna line. Yeah, these are things.
Speaker 6: I mean like when the game the game is a fast game, it is really and when when they throw a screen and you got to take an angle that could have been you know, you tackle Kamara. It's a it's a twelve yard game. It's not a fifty seven yard touchdown if you take a better angle there. There are things he's going to have to learn along the way, and you know they'll be able to point it out to him. Now he's doing these playing, Now he's playing. I trust Al Harris to get him to where he needs to be, you know, in the coming weeks.
Speaker 4: That seven yards seven yard, Yeah, Kendrick's just not just missing.
Speaker 6: Kendrick's overrunning to play. And then Carson's angle was bad too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we appreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Jones will be back tomorrow. We'll get into the Ravens defense versus the Cowboys offense till then, for Nick Harris and Brian brought us this, Derek Eagleson give you. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club