Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the dan ET's Dan Patrick Show. We got a lot of topics here. I don't know if we have enough time here, but we have three hours to try to digest everything. Spit it out for you to consume. Tim Kalishaw Dallas Morning News on the Cowboys and Mike McCarthy parting ways and Deon Sanders come on down. Kurt Warner was on the call last night with the Vikings and the Rams. He'll join us, and Mark Sanchez from Fox Sports will stop by as well. Say good morning if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and good morning if you're listening on the radio. The affiliates over four hundred around the country eight seven to seven to three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show and this first hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire experts of The Dan Patrick Show. You can get the full lineup of Continental tires, the easy to use Tire Decision Guide, Free Road Hazard Protection, Mobile tire Installation tire rec dot Com. The Way tire buying should be as always stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Operator Tyler's sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. The Rams roll the Vikings twenty seven to nine. We normally skew negative after a game like this because the season is over for Minnesota. I do want to give the Rams their props here because just because we don't know who some of your players are doesn't mean you don't have a really good team. And when it comes to that Rams defense, they're not household names like they were when they won a Super Bowl. They do have some offensive firepower, they have a well known head coach. But that was a great team performance last night, shutting down the Vikings twenty seven to nine. They sacked Sam Darnold nine times, and you get the feeling the Rams probably looked at what the Detroit Lions did when they face the Vikings the previous game, and that is we're going after Sam Darnald. We're going to put as much pressure on Sam Donald as possible, and it certainly worked against the Lions, and the blueprint worked last night. Sam Donald was uncomfortable the entire evening and after the game, he spoke about his play at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: You know, I clearly just didn't play good enough the last couple of weeks. You know, left too many throws out there that I would usually make, and got to take better care of the football today especially, you know, I feel like I can be a lot better in terms of just moving on. My progression is not trying to force anything. And but yeah, again, I give them a lot of credit for the way they came out, they played and the plan that they had.
Speaker 2: The Rams tight an NFL playoff record with nine sacks in a playoff game. The Titans did that in twenty twenty one, the Chiefs nineteen ninety three, the Browns in eighty six, the Niners back in eighty four, and the nineteen sixty six Buffalo Bills. It felt like every time Sam don't Ernold was sacked, money was coming out of his pockets. It was like, damn, there's another million dollars. There's another million dollars. Poor Sam, what's going on here? They put pressure on him, and I would have thought that they would have expected this from the Rams, and the Rams are a young team, you know, aside from Matthew Stafford. They are one of the younger teams in the NFL, and they are one of those teams at the end of the year that we thought, boy, you don't want to face them come playoff time. It felt like them and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Well Tampa got kicked to the curb. But here are the Rams, and the Rams will have the Philadelphia Eagles coming out. And in case you're wondering, the Rams are getting six against the Eagles, the Texans getting seven and a half against the Chiefs. This according to Draftkingings. The Commander is getting nine and a half against the Lions, and the Ravens are a one and a half point favorite against the Buffalo Bills. All right, Seaton, pull question here, and then we'll go back to the game. We'll also talk about the Cowboys situation with Mike McCarthy, who is now free at last to talk to other teams, and we'll ask the question, UH, don't know if we have an answer to it, will Mike McCarthy be a head coach in the NFL next season? All right, seton, you.
Speaker 4: Know what, just quickly off the last night's game too. It was so brutal. Every time Sam Donald made a mistake or got sacked or did something, they would immediately cut to Kevin O'Connell's face, Let's get the coach's reaction to what we just saw, and then they would sort of ping pong back and forth between Sam Donald's just looking shell shocked, like what's happening and Kevin O'Connell being like, oh my god, this is awful.
Speaker 2: Was JJ McCarthy on the sidelines because I kept thinking, if you're gonna show sideline reaction, just give me the quarterback and waiting here and trying to figure out, now, what do you do because you can't throw thirty Sam Donald had a wonderful year, maybe the comeback player of the year, But you have thirty five touchdown passes or did you have twelve or thirteen interceptions? He played great. I would like to have seen justin Jefferson's reactions as well with everything that was going on, because if you're the best wide receiver in the league and you're probably going is this as good as we can get? Because you don't know what you have in JJ McCarthy. Now they think they know because they drafted him high, but went out with the knee injury, and now what do you do with Sam Darnold? Sam Donald apologists, Pauly paps, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Weirdly, I was thinking about this. The Vikings may have benefited by the loss yesterday because three weeks ago they had to bring Sam Darnald back, whether it be franchise, tag or contract. Now they have the wiggle room to move on from him, and the fan base probably wouldn't revolt.
Speaker 2: At least this morning, they wouldn't. So they're light winners last night. Yeah, I see where you're going with that. That okay, we have to keep him too. We don't have to keep him and the fan base would you know, be able to say we saw him in a couple of big games and he didn't do well. Look, it's going to come down to the quarterback win or lose. We give them credit, we give them blame. It's more than that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of times that quarterbacks will they have to take the blame for sacks, and this is a situation where Sam Darnold has to take some of the blame that I think they sack. He was sacked fifty seven times this year. You know, Russell Wilson would get sacked, Joe Burrow would get sacked. You know, there's certain guys who get sacked a lot, and that's, you know, in large part because you know Caleb Williams. You're trying to hold on, You're trying to make something happen. But give credit to the rams that rams and if you don't have to blitz. I mean, it's such a benefit when you just send your defensive line and then you're back in coverage and you put pressure. Now, this is what the Vikings were doing prior to the last two games. Brian Flores, that defensive coordinator, he was throwing all kinds of junk defenses, crazy stuff, and it worked until it didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the uh, if you're looking at at Sam Donald, I don't know how you and you're you're the Vikings front office, I don't know how you in the offseason sit justin Jefferson down at a meeting and say we're sticking with Sam. I just don't know how you can. I don't really know how you can look at any of those receivers and be like, Okay, I know it's a rough two weeks, but we're gonna stick with that. Dude, I just don't know how you can.
Speaker 2: But these aren't pedestrian numbers that he put up. Yeah pulling.
Speaker 5: It feels like last night he was exposed Sam Donald as a good not great quarterback, maybe like Rock Party has been somewhat exposed as good not great where under optimal conditions in November. He's fantastic in a playoff situation. There's so only so far he could take you, and Matthew Stafford feels the opposite, like you'd ignore the regular season on Matthew Stafford's in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I trust this guy, yeah, but there's only so many quarterbacks who truly are game changing, you know, Lamar Is and Josh Allen Is, Patrick Mahomes, they're truly different than everybody else because you can have you know, and you can put Joe Burrow in there. I think Joe is legitimately great, but you still look at sort of that second tier and there's a big difference in that. I mean, Jalen Hurts is a good quarterback, I don't think he's great. Justin Herbert, I think he's a good quarterback, I don't think he's great. There's a lot of them that are lumped in there. But there's only a couple that you go, oh my god, that guy with the ball game on the line, he'll make a difference. Sam Darnold's not one of those guys. Kirk Cousins is not one of those guys. Jayden Daniels is becoming one of those guys, like he's starting to sneak into the five of wow. And now let's see what he does. Because it's week by week. Your report guard is week by week, and then we go, all right, i'll give you an A, give you B minus. Sam Donald, I'm gonna give you a D. And then that's it. Then your final report card, and then you go into the off season. If you're the Vikings, you have to be extremely confident in JJ McCarthy. If not, you might have to say to Sam Donald, we're gonna franchise to you and pay you whatever forty four million dollars as an insurance policy.
Speaker 6: Yes, Fritzy, it's so easy to get caught up. I did two, fourteen and three. Wow, this guy is something. Look at the Vikings. But the weight of that Lion's loss and yesterday's loss, that's like three losses each from fourteen and three losing those two games.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what to take away from this with Sam Darnold. Like at the end of the season, if you say, how did Sam Darnald, do you know the totality of the season, I'd say good? Good?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Is good worth fifty million dollars? Not to me? But then it's not my money? But then how many years has he earned? Or does he say, look, I can benefit from the market because there's no other free agent quarterbacks who were good or on my level that I'm going to be able. Not everybody gets a quarterback, and he might have to wait until the dust settles at the draft, and then that's when a team reaches out and says all right, And then if you get two teams in a bidding war, then maybe Sam Darnold is making you whatever three years, one, twenty something like that. And I thought that might be the direction the Vikings were going to go in. Is put him in that Baker Mayfield to you know, kind of financial slot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, it reminds me a bunch of years ago, maybe ten years ago. Remember Carson Palmer was on Arizona his last stop, and he had that great twenty fifteen season where I think they were thirteen wins and he was an MVP candidate Comeback Player of the Year, and then he had playoff game I think where he threw five interceptions and it undid the entire season and he never got it back.
Speaker 2: The perception here is Kevin O'Connell, the Vikings head coach, on Sam Donald's season.
Speaker 7: You know, I think it's very important we all think about, you know, Sam's body of work, what he was able to do this year when not very many people thought he would be able to lead a team to fourteen wins. I'm very rare for a quarterback in their first year. In fact, it is rare the most wins by a first year quarterback with a team, and just the way he came in committed himself to just a daily process to be the best version of himself. It did not work out in the end. I'm proud of him, proud of you know, really everybody in that locker room, but Sam and the journey him and I went on this year will always you know, be a you know something that's a special place in my heart for sure.
Speaker 2: Well you got to back your guy, man, Kevin's doing the right thing. Sam Donald completed sixty eight percent of his passes and had a passer rating of one oh six point four, thirty five touchdowns, twelve interceptions through week seventeen. Then he completed fifty three percent of his passes, QB rating of sixty six point four, had one touchdown one interception in his last two games. So a dramatic fall off, and you wonder did these teams figure out something in this situation? Now. I always like it when somebody says, well, we got the blueprint. Well, there are certain teams that have the people to carry out a blueprint. I can have the blueprint to solve a Rubik's cube. That doesn't mean I'm going to solve it. I'll be like, damn, how did these kids do this?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, possible solution for next year for the Vikings play Sam Donald in the regular season, played JJ McCarthy in the postseason. He was great in the postseason for Michigan. Problem solve.
Speaker 2: Okay, did we come up with the pole question?
Speaker 8: Seaton?
Speaker 2: I think I asked you, I don't know if we got a couple of them.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, we got a few of them who had a worst day yesterday, Sam Donald or Mike McCarthy. Uh, you could argue the case that only one of them had a bad day.
Speaker 2: All right, You know what, I'm gonna discuss the Cowboys situation coming up, and maybe Mike McCarthy had a good day yesterday. Maybe what else do you have?
Speaker 4: Uh? How about is the Cowboys head coaching job desirable? According to Troy Aikman, No said that last night, but I still think it is. Well, we'll talk about him, all right, Got another one for me?
Speaker 2: Uh sure?
Speaker 4: How about how much money has Sam Darnold lost in the last two weeks? A ton a bunch. Somebody's still getting paid big time.
Speaker 2: What if you had that metal detector guy goes out on the field after the game? You know, those guys are on the beach walking around like, damn, these aren't coins. These are one hundred dollars bills that I'm picking up here. I felt bad for him because you don't root against somebody, and he was a good story. It just felt like he was shell shocked when he was going back to pass after the fourth or fifth sack. You almost go back going where's it coming from? And the last thing you want to do as a quarterback is be thinking about getting sacked. Now, you need to know where pressure's coming from. There's a difference of where's it coming from or which guy is going to make me hurt? And that was the feeling I had with the Rams last night. But give them credit. That's tying an NFL playoff record with nine sacks, putting the pressure therefore taking the pressure off the Rams offense. We'll take a break, we'll come back. We'll talk about the situation with Dion, with Jerry Jones, with Mike McCarthy, and asked the question will Mike McCarthy be a head coach in the NFL this next season? Just getting started on this Tuesday. Glad to have you on board. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 11: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 11: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 11: That's Covino and Rich Play of the Day coming up.
Speaker 2: We'll settle on our poll question. The Cowboys and Mike McCarthy have parted ways. Why did it take so long? You didn't let him interview with the Chicago Bears And I just kept under trying to understand what exactly is going on here. Then there was a report that they started negotiations. Then there was another report that they hadn't started negotiations, and then we kept wondering, are you missing out on that window to be able to interview Let's say you want to interview Ben Johnson of the Alliance, but you missed that opportunity because now this week he has to prepare for their next opponent, the Commanders or Aaron Glenn, whoever, you know, any of these coaching candidates. And I don't know if they were interested in Mike Brabel. It feels like Mike Brabel was going to the Patriots and that was a done deal. But are you interested in Ben Johnson? I'm going to read you something that Tim Callishaw Dallas Morning News. He'll join us coming up a little bit later on, and he talked about Dak Prescott, like, really, the person you're hiring has to be able to fix Dak Prescott, who I think is around thirty two now, had injuries, and Tim Callishaw says, Dak cannot run anymore. He had twenty four rushing yards through seven games when he tried to turn back the clock against Atlanta, rushing for thirty yards on three carries. The next thing you know, he was having hamstring surgery done for the year. Calashaw then goes on to say, that's twenty six games Dak Prescott is missed in the last five seasons, So that's just short of one third of the Cowboys' schedule. Immobile and injury prone question mark. Jerry Jones can't even afford to ponder those issues right now. Dak Prescott's two hundred and thirty one million dollars guaranteed deal. The owner can think only in terms of how to fix his quarterback. Who is best to equip to do that? Figure that out, and the Cowboys at least have a shot at getting back in the hunt. Fail on that front in his ninth coaching higher, and Jerry Jones is just spinning the wheels on his one storied and now lapping stock franchise one more time. You got to bring in an offensive minded person, correct or you got to bring in a great offensive coordinator, somebody who's going to fix Dak Prescott. Well, how do you fix a guy who can no longer run? Injury prone? Missing almost a third of his games, and the expectation level is cowboy like and that is let's get back to the playoffs, Let's get back to a title game, Let's get back to his super Bowl. Here. I know Dion Sanders and Jerry loves shiny objects. Dion is a shiny object. But is he the right person for this job. I think Dion is great at being a CEO, and by that I mean I don't know if he's a great coach. As much as he can run something, he can oversee something. I think he can hold people accountable. But I don't know if this is a situation where you go Dion. I don't think Dion makes Dak Prescott better. And I don't know if this story is real. Who does it benefit for this to get out Jerry, Well, Jerry just wants, you know, publicity. Hey, we're trying. We're trying. Everybody reaching out to Dion. People said Dion, you should reach out to Dion. Him reaching out to him, it helps Deon. What if Dion says, hey, I said, I'm committed to Colorado, I'm going to be staying here, Like if I'm a recruit, I want to know, are you really committed to this? And then there was a report maybe the Raiders and Tom Brady. There was another report that it's not going to happen. Dion is not a candidate for the Raiders. So is Dion a candidate for the Cowboys as of this morning? I would say he is, but I don't know the you know, the full validity of that. Is it true, is it accurate? Is it real? And I think that's what we have to kind of sort out. And Tim Callishaw, Will John is coming up at the top of next hour, and I don't know, you know, Dion and Jerry are good friends. Is it a good story or is it a good situation, a real situation? And what happened with Mike McCarthy. I kept reading that they wanted to extend. They were going to extend in for one more year, one more year. That was it. And if you're Mike McCarthy, that's a slap in the face. I mean, you're a borderline Hall of Fame coach, you won a Super Bowl, you got a pretty impressive resume, and Jerry's gonna treat you like that? Does he really want you? It's like you're gonna get divorced. You don't want somebody to date the person that you're divorcing, but then you don't want to keep that team, that person. That's the feeling I get. Mike McCarthy. We questioned the hiring from the beginning. I thought he did a pretty good job. But Jerry doesn't want see Dion. I think would he would return fire on Jerry. I think that he would. He would question things, at least I would hope that he would. If you want to go in there and succeed, you have to be able to stand up to Jerry and say no. And nobody's done that. He's hired people who won't do that, can't do that, not willing to do that. Dion's different. But you got to fix Dak Prescott because you gave him all that money and you're stuck with him. Two hundred and thirty one million dollars for a guy who's thirty two and injury prone. It's not a great situation. And you got to pay Micah Parsons, you paid C. D. Lamb. So you have a couple of nice, shiny objects, but what do you really have. It's like a necklace where you have, you know, three or four beautiful pearls and everything else is artificial and that's sort of where the Cowboys are. You know, the Commanders, they're in the playoffs, the Eagles in the playoffs. Then you have the Cowboys and you have the Giants. Will the Giants figure it out? Will they figure it out before the Cowboys do? Yeah, Pauling, I want to.
Speaker 5: Go back to Mike McCarthy and I'm going to present you a theory and let me know what you think of it. Is there any chance, because we don't believe in mutual breakups, someone walks in the room with the agenda to leave or to stay. Is it possible that Mike McCarthy spent this past week looking at the situation, asked for way too much, or also saw that it's going to be a short term ish contract and said, I'm going to keep asking for things until Jerry says no. Then I can exit here without saying I quit or left. And there are other options for me the Chicago or other that will give me a five year deal with a full contract and a real GM. Is there any chance Mike McCarthy was the person who made this happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you can ask for it out of professional pride, I would say to Jerry, I want three years here. I can't go year to year because if you're a player, you just, whether it's consciously or subconsciously, you lose respect for the situation. Like that coach, he doesn't think enough of him to give him security. It's like what they did with the Bears with Matt Eberflus. It's like they're blamed uck, you're not going to be back here. And Mike McCarthy has he's earned more than just hey, we're going to keep you around for another year. And I don't blame Mike. You know, maybe he will benefit, maybe he will get a long term deal. I just don't know. You know, there's a report this morning that you know, maybe the Bears are going to go after Pete Carroll. Okay, so then the Raiders aren't going to bring in Mike McCarthy. Is Ben Johnson going to go there? Do you want the Saints? John Is that available for him? See, you start to look at these there's a reason why these teams have openings. The Saint situation doesn't seem like it's a really winnable situation. So I don't know if he's coaching next year, even with that experience, that resume I'm not bringing him in unless it's that guy is the right guy for our team. Well, I think he's the right guy for an experienced team, but a team that he can also be the head coach of and not be a puppet. And Dallas he was a puppet. And this is you know, Jerry's m O. But I don't think Mike McCarthy. I would be surprised if he's coaching next season. And then the bear situation with Pete Carroll. Okay, I heard he did. He had a great interview. Now it's rare when you don't. When you hear Boyce somebody had a terrible interview, you're always hearing man, he had a great interview. I don't know what that means, you know, don't did you pick up the check? Like what happened? Where you go? Man? That's a great interview.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mike Rabel was on his introductory press conference yesterday with the Patriots and talked about his first ever coaching interview is for Ervin Meyer in Ohio State.
Speaker 2: And he goes, I blew it. I was terrible.
Speaker 5: I didn't have anything prepared. I didn't know what he's going to ask, he said, I blew my first job interview. He was very candidate about it yesterday.
Speaker 2: But this is where you have these coaching candidates who go in and then they find out how to interview and that it helps them down the road. And I think that's where we look at the Rooney rule and sometimes you say, well, that candidate's not going to get the job, but you do get the experience of what that's like to go in and interview. And I always go back to Mike Tomlin when he went in there, and he might have been just a we got to bring in this guy the Rooney rule. We got to interview a minority when he came in and blew everybody away, And maybe you get that opportunity. But I don't know if Mike McCarthy's going to come in and go, hey, I'm your answer here. I don't believe that. But you know, maybe I'm jaded because what happened in Dallas, it just felt like we were looking at Mike and you didn't really see the head coach on the sidelines. You just saw a guy who that was his title. Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. We'll talk to Tim Kalishaw Dallas Morning News. He'll join us top of the hour. Also, Kurt Warner will stop by. He was on the call of the game last night. Jay in North Carolina, Good morning, Jay, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, longtime listener.
Speaker 13: I love you guys.
Speaker 12: I had two thoughts and one was a T shirt idea. When the Chiefs complete that three p damn three pay?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, thank you Jay.
Speaker 12: If the Rams upset the Eagles, imagine the Rams and Lions to go to the Super Bowl. Stafford could rip the hearts out of a Lion fans.
Speaker 2: That would be tough. If you're a Lions fan, Stafford goes wins the Super Bowl, then you feel great about your team and then here comes Matthew Stafford again. Rip your heart out. Brent in Georgia, Hi Brent, what's on your mind? Abp out the going? Hey?
Speaker 13: All right, So I think what you saw last night is why Sam Darnold has been regulated as a career back. The dude has a tail, and any defense can see it. I can see it from my couch. The dude gets scared to death in big moments and it's all over his face. And a defense is going to eat that up. So while he may be good in regular season when the pressure is not high, he's those good numbers, has all these good numbers. You have to look at more than just numbers. And the guy just don't have it in big moments and a defense is going to just tear him up. And I think that's his and he can't hide it. He shows it all over his face. And I think that's why he really called himself a butler of money last night.
Speaker 2: Oh he did? Yeah, I think so. Like that was a perception game. We kept saying, Okay, can he erase what happened against the Lions? Can he zero in win this game? That you were a favorite and they had it on a neutral site in Arizona and he looked overwhelmed. But give credit to the Rams. They overwhelmed him as well. Tim and Iowa hide Tim, what's on your mind.
Speaker 14: More than Dan? How we doing today?
Speaker 1: Goodbye?
Speaker 8: Good hey? Real quick?
Speaker 14: Just a different perspective on this game last night, and that is I realize with every sack Sam Darnold lost money, but he lost twice this year to the same team and the Lions and the Rams. I don't think there's enough onus being put on the coaching staff for not being ready to have an offensive line game plan to protect him, to allow him to do his job correctly. I mean, I know he didn't look good, He looked scared, he was tentative. But I mean, isn't Koc this great offensive mind. How did he not have the defense package up front to block for these defenses they're coming at him, especially after he just saw how Aaron Glenn got at him the week before. I just to me it was more of a coaching issue to put Sam in a position where he was just getting beaten all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's fair fair to bring that up. And you're right with Kevin O'Connell, and if we can get him on, I would ask him that what did you see against the Lions that maybe you weren't aware of that the Rams were going to do the same thing. But Sam didn't play well. It comes down to the quarterback. If he played well, we'd be talking about Sam Darnold made himself money. But he didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, I mean that's sort of like the problem was compounded, where you know, when he was getting sacked, he was getting hit hard to it seemed likely he wasn't just getting taken down, he was getting crushed. But even then on those moments where he was able to get the ball out, he either overthrew the ball through it behind somebody. He wasn't even making the simple plays that he has to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do I have to, you know, factor in Kevin O'Connell, because I've said he's a great coach, probably going to be Coach of the year, offensive minded guy, former quarterback. You got to find something because it felt like they kept doing the same thing and the Rams had no reason to alter their scheme. Andrew in Washington morning, Andrew, Hey.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Dan Dennets, Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, I had a comment on Sam Darnold too. I think during last night's broadcast it was brought up how when pressure would come he would run out of the pocket instead of just maybe take a step up and slide, which then he would keep his gaze downfield to his open wide receivers who's missing, you know, wide open wide receivers. So you know that's something like Sam seeing ghost Donald back in the day of New York Jets. I mean, I think that's what we saw, and that's what the previous caller had talked about my question is lose that much money? The reason being is we were just talking a few weeks ago about how you know, forty one point three million guaranteed franchise tag would be a steal for him, So that was what he was going to get. Is he not going to get a contract that has more than forty million dollars guaranteed after this?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what Paulie keeps saying. PAULI would like to spin it that Sam Donald will still get paid, but probably by somebody else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a good call. I was going to say that he will probably not get franchise tag. He might not be a Viking next year, but this may open the door for the free agent become of the free agent class because the free agent class this year is terrible. The other top people are like Justin Fields and Desmond Ritter and Kyle Trask and Drew Locke. Those are the free agents, and it's also a small quarterback draft his depth. Sam Darnald may actually get to test the free agent market this year and get He may get three years, seventy million dollars from a blank team, but at least there's a future there if he stays in three for seventy, Well, I'm just saying, like, let's say it was a low end contract.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's backup quarterback. Almost three for seventy. He's getting twenty you know, twenty three million dollars. Yeah, he made ten million this year. He's gonna make if somebody signs him, he'll make probably you know, thirty eight to forty five million dollars a year.
Speaker 5: And feel that and there's more chance now that he will not be franchise tagged right.
Speaker 2: That I don't know, you know, if they say JJ McCarthy's healthy and I have no idea, that's the great mystery. It was a mystery that they were all in on him because we never saw him be put the game on my back, I'm gonna win games for you. At Michigan, he was just a really good college quarterback. I'm assuming that Kevin O'Connell knows, you know, that what he has with him, and he will be a starting quarterback, a great quarterback, or at least the potential to be great. Yeah, I have looking.
Speaker 4: Let's see this year, Gino Smith getting twenty five Okay, he's Sam Donald is gonna get more than that. Yes, Baker Mayfield is at thirty three. Yeah, Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers are at thirty seven and a half each. I guess you could stop me when you think we're going to get to where Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's right in that that neighborhood Dafford is that forty? I think it's thirty five. Well, it's also the next guy up as well with all you know, Aaron Rodgers, when did he sign that contract? When did Derek Carr sign that contract? And so where are Maybe it's you know, upper thirties for Sam Donald.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's also at the timing it out with other next guys up who shouldn't have been paid, probably like Kirk Cousins has been run out. He was the next guy up. Probably shouldn't have gotten that money, right, No, No, I mean obviously Deshaun Watson hasn't worked out.
Speaker 11: That wasn't great. Let's let's wait.
Speaker 2: Till give it time, give it time, Let's wait till he comes back for the second Achilles surgery. There, Yeah, all right, let me take a break. Got our play of the day up next. More on the Cowboys situation at the top of the hour.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 9: Wap, Oh my God, the Play of the day.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 4: Check the shaft, Donald against the Rush, Let's come and Pashy Foooo.
Speaker 14: Surfers do the right sideline wiplockers time to five time.
Speaker 2: The Deive Rookie of the Year with US Scoop.
Speaker 8: Eight.
Speaker 2: Seen point when the Rams' largest postseason victory since the twenty twenty one Wild Card when they defeated the Cardinals thirty four to eleven. That's courtesy of the Rams Radio Network. Your Play of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP Show. It works on a national LTE network and there's no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for your kids or an aging parent. We use them on the show all the time. Go to Rapid radios dot com for up to sixty percent off and free shipping. Let's get a couple more phone calls in here. By the way, you're looking at Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy has had at He's had eleven seasons of ten or more wins in his career. The Bears have had three seasons of ten or more wins period. But I don't think that he is attractive to the Bears fan base, not that you have to try to placate them. You want to get the right guy, and if you get the right guy, then they'll accept him. But Mike McCarthy, how many coaches have had eleven seasons of ten or more wins in their careers? We should check on that the Bears have had three seasons of ten or more wins. But it feels like and I don't know how legitimate this is, but Pete Carroll was getting. It feels like a lot of traction with Chicago. I was told last night that Ben Johnson the Raiders makes more sense because he doesn't want to go against the Lions and Dan Campbell being in the same conference. Whether that's true or not, I think also the allure of Tom Brady and Tom Brady is making decisions with the Raiders. It feels like he's making the decisions with the Raiders. Ben in Minnesota, Hi, Ben, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Good morning?
Speaker 15: Dan?
Speaker 8: Six?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was just curious. I know, Sam Donald, he's probably done as a Viking, but I'm just saying that he's going to be totally thrown to the bus because the deef since the coordinary. I'll coach both games against the Rams and the Lions the last games that we played them. And my other hope is that I'm hoping Jefferson doesn't become the next Viking receiver who wants to get out of town, you know more Row's what happened with Diggs and Moss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did think about that last night.
Speaker 13: Ben.
Speaker 2: It's like at some point, you know, and receivers have been enabled, like they're like, I you know what, I want this, I want out. I'm not happy with this. I don't know if Justin Jefferson is, you know, that's his personality. But I did wonder about that last night, yess Mark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the pressure is going to be on JJ McCarthy if they get rid of Sam Darnold, because it's gonna be a JJ. It's your responsibility to give us another thirteen fourteen one season and to keep Justin Jefferson happy.
Speaker 2: Uh, John and Cincinnati, Hi John, Dan.
Speaker 16: Thank you very much, appreciate the time. Just curious your perspective. Why is Ryan Day never mentioned in any of these coaching searches. It seems like every year there's three or four college coaches, and as successful as he's been, he's just never really mentioned.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I suggested that he would have been a better hire in Jacksonville than urban Meyer. But I had heard that from a scout that if you're going to try to develop Trevor Lawrence, urban Meyer is not the guy. Now, of course it was a disaster. I don't know if Ryan Day aspires to do that. I don't like he might just be a college coach, but I suggested that he would have been a better higher than urban Meyer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pum, I had to look up Ryan Day's resume, but he was a college coach for years and years, and then twenty fifteen he was the Eagles quarterbacks coach. In twenty sixteen, he was a Niners quarterbacks coach right before he went back to Ohio State.
Speaker 2: M So maybe he does want that eventually. Maybe if he wins a national title, he'd put it out there. But you know, they're reaching out to Marcus Freeman reportedly instead of Ryan Day. Sean in Oregon. Hey Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Well, Sam Donald, that's on my mind a little bit.
Speaker 12: And you know, I'm thinking that he is what he is. You know, he's been a backup quarterback and I think he's probably gonna go back to being a backup quarterback. I mean, I don't think these guys are going to try to make him like a like. You see the nervous energy on that guy. You see the panic. It looks like he's running out of a fire. A good quarterback doesn't do that. A good quarterback is always like calm, cool, collective, and he's comfortable in chaos. You'll never see Joe Burrow or Joe Montana, Russell Wilson, he wouldn't have a look.
Speaker 8: On his face like that. And I just I'm not buying into this.
Speaker 12: I think people get a small sample size and they think they know what's going on. They see a few games here, they see a few games there, and this is just not gonna It's just not gonna work out. Dan, I just don't believe in it. I'm not going to buy into it at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think you can accidentally throw thirty five touchdown passes. So I have to be fair to Sam Darnald. He was in a bad situation with the Jets and then you get relegated to a backup quarterback and he got kicked to the curb, and you know, then he ends up in San Francisco's a backup quarterback, and then Minnesota is like, I mean, if they thought that much about Sam, they wouldn't have drafted JJ McCarthy because JJ McCarthy is what three years younger than him. So it's not like you're saying, hey, we got this guy and we're gonna get you know, he's old and he'll give us one or two years. You weren't, you know, completely sold and you probably bought brought him in for an insurance policy. With JJ McCarthy, I don't think that's going to be the case. I think Sam Darnold would get paid and we're gonna then find out just how good he is, because the teams that need quarterbacks are the teams that aren't very good. Seaton update the poll results from the first hour. If you can, yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Got up there right now, is the Cowboys head coaching job a desirable job right now? Your options there at yes or no. Right now, seventy eight percent of the audience have it as a no, not a desirable job.
Speaker 2: It's still the coach of the Cowboys. You may not like the quarterback, you may not like the owner, but you like the title. And you got to be wired to be able to be the head coach. Either you're a very submissive person and you're going to allow to be bossed around by Jerry, or are you going to be able to stand up and say to Jerry you want me to coach, let me coach. If not, go out and find somebody else who is going to listen and do everything that you ask them to do. We'll talk to Tim Callishaw the Dallas Morning News. Kurt Warner will stop by as well. One Hour in the Books, Two More to Go, Dan Patrick Show,