Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The eighty two game preseason is in the books and is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 2: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 3: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell Casino w in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See dknng dot co slash b ball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh Joe, you are feeling a bit sluggish slump. Ollipop's news citrusy Ridge Rush. It's filled with wholesome energy. What's that maw caffeine energy from Green Teeth? Whoa whoa? Okay okay, plus fiber and delicious Chris fitaency taste. Okay, okay, I'm feeling this energy. Basically, it's that good clean buzz whoa whoa? Hold on, nah, I'm feeling this energy. Sorry, got carried away there, but you guys at home can find Olipop New Ridge Rush flavor in a store near you. Oh, y'all to go, I have to go to the bathroom for the Caparcolobo. I am your favorite on he is your favorite number eighty five. We are night cap and thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Hey, let me get the lights I can't even see the people. Man, Let me get the lights on in here. Man, let me get the lights on.
Speaker 2: There we go. How y'all doing y'all good? Yeah? Cray looking crowd on.
Speaker 4: Your hey, before we start before we start. I got something new I need y'all do me infa. Everybody's standing up right, giving him lights on all time. Grab the person hand next to you.
Speaker 2: Boy, you're trying to get hold on, trying to get some up out of slash. Hey, listen to me. Grab the person hand next to you.
Speaker 4: Now you don't know you before you eat any you start with prayer, right, God damn, grab the person hand next to you and buy your head.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all ready? Yeah we bout ready now repeat after me? Did God.
Speaker 4: I'd like to thank you for allowing us to be here tonight because we for the have a hell of a show.
Speaker 2: Bitch. Yeah, I hope the music came on that last part. God did hear that one? Yeah? Thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Have a seat, fab buy were you at Fabuay?
Speaker 2: All right, guys, thank you for coming out here tonight. Welcome to our Summer Session tour. There's no place better to be. Atlanta was unbelievable, Houston. We need you, guys to top the energy that we had in Atlanta. That's what I'm talking about. The bar is open during the show. Make sure you guys make your way back there. We have my Cognac shade by La Portier. I know some of you guys have tried it and it's unbelievable. Move that goes down very well. We also have merchant. Our merch table is over there, and we have the Heat of the Moment drink sponsored by rope Man that rod beat. Talk about that man. It's trust me. The red pill. That's all I'm gonna say, The red Pill. Olli Pop Spirits sponsored by Ollipop. And there's a mescal you don't drink, so I know you don't know mess cal Mary sponsored by Oscar Maye.
Speaker 5: I drink that.
Speaker 2: What called it? What's it called mess Cam? Mary? Oh? I know I know him? Mary? Ah Yeah, I bet you know.
Speaker 5: Mary.
Speaker 2: Make sure you guys stop by Merch table at the front of the lobby, get yourselves a T shirt hat and some Houston's hat. So thank you guys forgetting for showing up. We're gonna get right into the show, oh show. We have a new segment called what's OLLI Popping Off where we discuss trending and topics that's making headlines in sports and culture. Big shout out to Ollipop, who was our first sponsor of this nightcare. Some matur and thank you guys for being the presenting sponsor. So what exactly is olipop. It's a new kind of soda that has ninety percent less sugar than than regular soda we all grew up drinking, and even has ingredients that helps the digestive help I've been drinking sodas, I mean, I think we all grew up drinking soda. Is basically from the southe of drinking soda. So not only is ollipop better for you less sugar, but it's also good for the gut. So thank you guys again. We have my favorite flavor with your ginger Rele and a brand new flavor called Ridge Rush. Check it out. It's delicious, all right on, Joe, Yeah, check this out? Man. What's popping off today? Am Houston? Man, Anthony? I'm bad, Yeah, my bad, My bad, My bad. I apologize.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't get the I don't get out of the house often. I don't get out of the house.
Speaker 2: That's why we can't let you out. I know, I know.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, like I went out last night, right, I'm gonna just get this. I'm gonna get this out before we start. I went out last night and it's amazing, right, So I was using my peripheral vision, you get what I'm saying. And it's a beautiful city with beautiful people, with beautiful people. Yeah, so I'm jealous anybody that actually lives here.
Speaker 2: Man, congratulations because I almost moved to Houston. Why you ain't come? What you mean? Why you want your damn mind? Hey, it's beautiful, though, I need to focus on what I need to focus on. Okay, okay, because I wasn't focused, you will be. We're gonna get you back on the right track, all right, Gotta check this out. What's popping off today is Anthony raw Was claimed that Michael Jordan was the only player in the older generation with some skill and said, I didn't watch it back in the day, so I can't speak on it. But they say it's tougher back then than it is now. But I don't think anybody had the skill back then. Mj was the only one that really has skilled. So that's why they saw COVID and they were like, oh god, but Nowaday everybody had skill. Magic Johnson did not take too kindly to what ant Man had to say. I'd never respond to a guy who's never won a championship. He didn't win one in college, and I didn't I don't know if he won one in high school. I know magic a little better than you know magic, right, Magic go, And I go back about thirty years to see him respond in this matter, and I think all you guys have known magic the smile and he's always positive. But for him to take this stance, this really struck a nerve with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I understand. I can kind of see where Anthony Edwards is coming from. Maybe the thought of Jordan being an iconic figure that he is, maybe he forgotten how great Magic Johnson was. I think talking from a skill standpoint or skills skill perspective, we all know Magic Johnson was great, Yes, that for sure. To hear it from Anthony Edwards and forget about the greats that came before him and only singling out Michael Jordan, maybe because he is the most iconic figure that he was able to watch. Yes, I think he knows Magic Johnson is skillful. But I mean, why do the older generation. The older generation always takes shots at the younger generation for not winning the championship or not having rings, or not winning in the past.
Speaker 2: It's a team game. It is, and.
Speaker 4: Based on where he's playing in Minnesota, I think I'm not saying they're bad, but it takes time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's early in his career.
Speaker 4: There's no need to take those kind of shots at it, well, especially coming from Magic.
Speaker 2: That's not even that ain't even his character. I think. Look, every era likes to protect the era. Nobody wants to be forgotten. It was so much better your grandparents, your parents say it was so much better in our day. I agree with Aunt Man. I believe there are more skilled, highly skilled players today. Is called evolution. You don't think we have better technology today that we did yesterday. Yeah, of course, So how can the players not be better When they train better, they train smarter, they eat better, It's called evolution. Things change, So I don't understand. Look, I get Magic's point of view. I'm not so sure I would have taken that drastic of a step. I mean, that's what we call killing the mat with a sledge chamber. I mean, Bro, you could say I disagree with Ann, but to go to the I don't listen to anybody that haven't won a championship.
Speaker 4: That's not fair and He's only responding because he understands how great Ann is. Because anybody, if anybody else in the NBA that's not top five, top ten player had said the same thing Magic when they responded, I don't.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing you have to understand about ant Man, and ant Man doesn't have a filter, so he's gonna say the first thing that comes up is coming out, and so he's going to have to do a better job of being more PC. No, don't change him.
Speaker 4: Don't change him, because that's what makes him special when he's in front of the mic. Obviously, you know that, you know the animal you get on the court. We understand that, sure, but we don't have too many players with that type of aura, with that type of non PC agenda when it comes to sin and speaking what they feel.
Speaker 2: That's what we need more of. So you don't have a problem with either guy and saying what he said. In Magic's response to it, I don't I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it because now all annsu is going to respond, all an gotta do is going to respond.
Speaker 2: You asking somebody that never that never stopped talking. List you got to say, I like it.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good It's a good thing for the game of basketball because everybody else's pc.
Speaker 2: This n word like drama. Who this word? Oh you can say it, nigga. No, we're gonna have to We're gonna have to bleep that out. Hopefully all you'll have a time take a picture with the oscar Ma bacon wings. I ain't see what all right there right now?
Speaker 4: See you see the what you call them things? Stephen repeat, yeah, yeah, you got oscar My on there.
Speaker 2: And you can see oscar My thick cup bacon is real hard with smoke with wood chips for true smoky flavor. That is an artificial It's not overly fatty, super greasy. It's cooked for a staggery twelve hours while industry industry norm is four to six. Go pick up some at a store near you. And now it's time for one of our favorite segments, Rough Draft, presented by oscar My Bacon. Today's special best foods to put bacon on, Oh Joe Bacon, since I get to go first, wait wait wait, wait, wait wait, I can't even talk about bacon. I'm Muslim, me too, I'm in the Muslim reserves. One weekend at the month, two weeks out of ya don't eat no pork? Well, how about this, I don't need any thing to start with pork, like pork.
Speaker 6: Chopped pork, coin, yeah, poor, but pepperoni, bacon, hold.
Speaker 4: On, hold on, I don't know. It might be against the Koran for me to talk about that. I'm Muslim?
Speaker 2: Are you Muslim? Yeah? Oh? What what? What? What? What? What? What did Karan say about smoking cigaars? What a Karan say about smoking cigaars? Oh?
Speaker 4: Then I forgot the verse? Come on, come on, come on, come, I'm ready ready ready.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh Joe, last time you went first, So this time I get to go first. Okay. Bacon, best food to put bacon on top of. I'm going I'm starting out to box. I'm going hamburger. You ain't bacon cheese burger? Hold on, hold on, hold on, stay with me now.
Speaker 4: Baked potato, baked potato, Yeah, baked potato.
Speaker 2: I'm going pizza, pizza. Oh a, and your no what do you call it? Your big beans? Baked beans? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah. I mean I mean, you can't have a you can't have a bot without.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, So I'm going bot. Damn, I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: What else can you put chicken? You can't put no bacon on no chicken. Damn you can't. No, you can't. You know, without your issue, you can do it. Yeah, I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: You know, I went to culinary our school, and I made chicken with the bacon on the inside.
Speaker 2: Oh so oh oh le clorid on blue. Yeah, you put the bacon inside of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I I made it, like boy, that was good and terrible. That's the good because you know what it was. Funny is we talk about bacon what you can put bacon on? And I really don't know because I haven't eaten much bacon in my life.
Speaker 2: I'm dead, I swear overd you living for him too, So I don't know why. I don't know why you made the crowd go. Believe you telling the truth. I mean, I lie, but I repent. What you got. What you got? You got bad. They got baked beans. Oh you got chicken cord on blue, which sounds gross. I'm gonna go with bacon. Oh you want to go to manady? You know what I like? You know what I like? I said that, you know what I like? I know, I don't know if y'all do this in this, I'm gonna say donuts. Y'all ain't got no You telling.
Speaker 4: Me I can't put bacon on chicken, but he putting bacon on domos.
Speaker 2: Bacon. People don't put me. You said you're gonna put it inside the chicken. Okay, I've never seen that's a delicacy. I trust you must be from Liberty City. Liberty City.
Speaker 4: I saw what you talk about me and Gordon Ramsey that we did that on the show.
Speaker 2: You mean Ramsey not back from Miami.
Speaker 4: That's a good one, though, I'm trying to think bacon that that's that's hard for me because I can only answer based on my experience of what I've consumed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all help me out. What else bacon?
Speaker 4: Go on?
Speaker 2: They say?
Speaker 4: Oh, green beans, my greens, greens and greens, green greens.
Speaker 2: Yeah on greens? Which green? Call of greens? I see no call of greens. College.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go, let's go. Oh, I got one, I got one, I got one, I got one.
Speaker 2: You got one? Yeah? We had this when I was locked up. Come on, you know what, uh man, baked potatoes, baked beans?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you stuck.
Speaker 2: I got one. I gotta go on. You know what did y'all said that bacon rap shrimp. Okay, we got bacon rap shrimp. Okay, baker rapp shrimp. Check this out, ship, hold on, hold on, y'all, y'all got y'all got to stay stay with him. He was in the same home room k through twelve. He took two naps and all the snacks he could have. Hold on. What was the answer again, Bacon rap shrimp. That's what I just said, though.
Speaker 4: You can I'm not trying not company, but I was just repeating what your answer was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like that on Nah, No, hell no, this one. Listen.
Speaker 4: Tacos baked with the bacon in there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, tacos, I'm too.
Speaker 2: See you gotta. I think she is playing old joke because she agreed with everything you said. Ain't putting no bacon, you know. I know she knows you were locked up to I promise you.
Speaker 4: That's a delicacy in there. Yeah, and not not not a full of bacon shriper. I'm talking about the bacon bits like the seal used to bring them in for us.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying I swore, I swear for God, I'm gonna finish it out, all right, go ahead, Mac and cheese, Mac and cheese.
Speaker 4: Don't nobody putting no bacon on no man, change that ain't even that's not even part of the social umbrella. It's not part of the social umbrella.
Speaker 2: Ojo. They putting the bacon on top of it.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 2: So when you take the spoon and go down in and oh Joe, that's what you're doing. That ain't bacon. That's the crust that I thought. You say, you know how to cook. I do, but not with no bacon. What you you don't use that that bacon grease? And then when you finished with it, you put it back in the canas city back on the stove. No, that wasn't meet out with my grandma. Oh come on, man, you should have been watching. We'll be at now we've got there. We got got one more? Is it some? Oh that was a good one. Salad salad?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know nothing about salad unless I'm tossing it.
Speaker 2: But exactly, I thought, that's it. That's it, what happened. You're good. I know all you grown folks ain't at like that. Man. We're up here talking about sealers. Caesar salad. Yeah, but on calm salad. You talk about her salad.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm just trying to keep things in the perspective. Hey, y'all, y'all so damn boogie, so y'all to eat ass?
Speaker 2: No oh so it's just me. Yes, you shush, you shut you fuck y'all man man, just you o Joeshu.
Speaker 4: I can't see ship good, I look good.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: That ain't nothing but make up. Okay, there y'all go, y'all good though, hold on, hold on, We're gonna be a foward guys.
Speaker 2: I had Hamburger, pizza, bot donuts, bacon, rap shrip, mac and cheese. Oh yo, had baked potato, baked beans, bacon inside the chicken collar, greens, tacos, and salad. Who had the better list? They said me? They definitely said me. They said me because all I know, and I tell y'all this, I know one thing. If y'all show up to a party and they got bacon this side of chicken and they got tacos with bacon in it, I guarantee y'all leave it.
Speaker 4: Nah, the ain't gonna leave it? Well, why you mentioned the last thing?
Speaker 2: I said? Down? Hell yeah, Oh the salad that yeah, that's why they're coming. I mean, what type of dress are you using with greens? That's the worst salad I've ever ever heard of my life. And now it's time for you guys, one of you guys' favorite segment, the Rail Report. Come on out here, rail Hey real, need a mic right, red real Mike my mic hey real? Hey, hey, y'all are you doing real? I'm amazing. You just flew into town today. You know, Reil sprung in town today. We ain't doing amazing. We fucking beefing?
Speaker 8: Is he?
Speaker 2: Like? I'm coming. I want to see my man. I've been away from him for a minute, so I'm coming support.
Speaker 8: Yeah, keeping when we beefing, I still support.
Speaker 2: Now, see that's what you need.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, time, let me tell me a glass off like we beefing for real, Like no bullshit, I ain't talking. I ain't talking to rail in six seven days? How many daysy man?
Speaker 8: I've been busy.
Speaker 4: Fuck this ship. I just want you all to know we beefing for real and.
Speaker 2: You still love her. So that's what people, That's what couples do.
Speaker 4: Hold hold on, hold on, let me finish, because I'm mad.
Speaker 8: What they used to say, scratch your ass?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, right now you're upset. I'm mad. Animals get mad, humans get upset, So right now you're upset. You have a little disagreement, you know, Reil said it was rainy outside, you said the seven them sunny, and y'all have a little disagreement. That's what happens. A couple disagree sometimes on your damn, you ain't gonna be great all the time.
Speaker 4: Any couples out there, Augum, yeah they I don't know about you.
Speaker 2: Are you going through it too? Okay, okay, hey, holl let me after the show. Oh oh your lady taking a picture too? So oh I like the pictures. Okay, oh, show you got a step on show. You better hold on, you better hold on. Women like real, ain't they don't come easy. Make their own money, got their own, got their own money. She can stand rail as a stand alone. There's not a whole lot of women that can stand alone. Reil can carry her own and I know sometimes. Look I'm a lot older than you, O Joe, and I can. I'm speaking from experience. I'm speaking. I'm speaking from experience, experience, and it is easy. Like when you get upset with your partner and the first thing you go let her know what heffing up with. I'm the dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm old now.
Speaker 2: And I'm motherfucking real. So with that being said, look, this is this ain't nothing that we can't overcome. We family, how about we have how about this year? Like when I go on vacation next year? You are real host black CAPA. You said you said you want you want a.
Speaker 4: I want to be on first take. You gonna be on first take?
Speaker 2: Bro, when I'm going on first take, when I take my two months off, you would take my two days and your day?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I want to come on there with you and steven A Like right now.
Speaker 2: I ain't know, I'm on Mondays and Tuesdays. Okay, I'm gonna come on Mondays and Tuesdays. No, you could you take the weekend? You take Thursday and Friday. Ain't nobody watching on Thursday and Friday? Yeah they do? That's leading it to the game. Nah nah. But first of all, I don't run first take, right, that stuff you gotta take up with Stevin d all right, don't worry about it. We're good. We're good.
Speaker 4: We're good and just so y'all know this ain't no script, this ain't really the real reporters part.
Speaker 2: Of the show.
Speaker 4: But on on, on god, we really beefing reiterated.
Speaker 2: Just so they don't think this ain't serious. This ship serious and I'm mad, But come on, I'm gonna let you cook you what you thought? What? What got? What's eating old Joe's grape? Gilbert?
Speaker 8: Who is Gilbert?
Speaker 2: I mean great? What Steven Gilbert was great?
Speaker 4: It went over her head?
Speaker 2: Leonard been copy it? Okay, come on, come on, come on, come on. I mean I'm interrupting my bad. Are you happy to see rail? I mean, I mean to have them to have your woman on her own dime. I'm going to support my man. I know he I know we just beefing. I know I know he's upset with me. I'm upset with him, but I'm gonna show my support no matter what. That's something, bro, because a lot of more phones they when they get mad, they're looking too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had get my payback because I heard it all a tip the tat head ass so real. We missed you in a we thought you're gonna come today. It wasn't able. To happen. But here you are in Houston, So what do you think? What do you think? I mean you You've been to Houston plenty of times.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I love Houston.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 8: As soon as I landed, I was thinking about opening up a brokerage here, but Houston is like, yeah, almost ever relocate, I probably would relocate to Houston.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Joe, we might be neighbors. If I ever relocated, I would reocate to Houston too. Ship, I'm coming too, I'm coming too.
Speaker 8: So I landed and I went to a restaurant called Taste. Oh my goodness, I had sails and grits. What sALS and grits? I had fried chicken, candy, ams, collar, greens and the red velvet offer.
Speaker 5: It was so good all that.
Speaker 2: I had something better. I had some better.
Speaker 4: But when I landed two days ago, I went to Grooves and I had I had greas and eggs scrambled, lightly salted, two sausages, and a pancake.
Speaker 2: Lynks the paddies, huh lyns the paddies. I'm a link.
Speaker 8: Mine sound better?
Speaker 2: It does? It does? No thinking about this, don't you think they're doing too much with doctails? Now, Eric Brod, it used to be. Come on, you can't put you got oxtail, a cheese steak, you got pacos pasta. Come on, why did you have with the oxtails and rice but the dot sails and grits? See that you go oxtails and grits.
Speaker 4: Now you know your oxtails and gris. Oxtails and gris. Good boy, I ain't no, noble.
Speaker 2: I mean, listener, you talk, you eat tail and everything. So so so ain't no. They's a obvious surprised bout you're talking about. Oh, they do the same thing. They just laughing because we're sitting up here. Oh oh, so they've been lying there, Ojo, all of them lying. Turn the lights on. Look at their face. Yeah, I saw long boy he got he Yeah, yeah, they got me. They got me so real? What so? So what's going on as far as Chadding? I yeah, you and Chads exactly. Yeah. She said, don't play her face my knees face, now, o Jo, that's right.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like Chad is.
Speaker 8: I don't know, he getting hits away sometimes and he just the world revolves around Chap.
Speaker 2: It does that is what you said? You said? Oh, real, Oh real? Do you know what it's like to have a woman to provide a lifestyle for you? And you ain't got no worry about it? I said, oh, where do they do that at?
Speaker 4: But that was that was a choice for me to be a stay at home father. That was a choice of mine. But I can also retire and go back to.
Speaker 2: Doing what I do. It's kind of hard, Oh Joe, Hi, No, I mean you stopped working for a minute. Ask them ladies. It's some of them ladies that stopped working for a minute, and then try to get back out there in that workboards. You're gonna you're gonna help me at at first take be able to do that. I'm team rail. That's right, that's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 8: Now we're just getting our I feel like sometimes it's good to have a little break because we get angry and it's not good to communicate. Well, you're angry, So when we get into our little modes, I just focus work.
Speaker 2: So she called me fucking ugly. I called you a lotta hotel. It can't come uggly. I didn't say you was.
Speaker 8: If you was ugly, I wouldn't be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you right back, that said you were acting.
Speaker 8: Attitude is ugly.
Speaker 2: Where you knew what you signed up for? No, you said the representative, I representative, you said that guy. How long you guys been together? Four years? Oh it's going on five?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, five? Damn guess what September, October, November, December, January and six months? What's that? Hey, it's mister Rell.
Speaker 8: It's mister Chad Risotto.
Speaker 2: You see you, I mean put ric Puerto Rican. We we've created a must them. We have created a must them.
Speaker 4: See y'all laughing, But don't understand hind closed doors how she abused me like not you know, verbally like like y'all don't get it. I don't want to like I don't want to get emotional and start crying.
Speaker 2: I look like verbally abused him the ones you got to watch for, you know, the Yeah, I am from the South.
Speaker 8: Nothing but southern hospitality over here, nothing but nothing.
Speaker 2: But pretty center Alabama.
Speaker 8: Period, child, Please sing city Alabama.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well real, thanks for stopping by. We really appreciate you. We know you are you and oh you're gonna make that thing up to night. I can't. I feel sorry for that. I feel sorry for whoever the room he's staying in the hood. I ain't coming over there. I'm going out to night. But you on his arm. I have an early flight in the morning. That's okay, that's okay. No, I'm going out to night at the ad dre dre out j Jo.
Speaker 9: Where were we at tonight? There you go jaj with y'all tonight? Baby, hold on, t Yo, t where you at to you here?
Speaker 2: Te? What's up? What I'm going? Where we at to night? Yet?
Speaker 8: Night?
Speaker 2: All right? All right? God give it up for Terrell Risido Johnson, Bye reel. All right, guys, now it's time for next guest. He played for your organization. He was defensive Rookie of the Year. He's on stalwart in the Houston area. He came back home to get his team to where it's never been before. That's the Super Bowl. Give it up for your head coach, mister Demiko Ryans. I'm gonna start his home, yall, I'm gonna start his own so.
Speaker 4: Hey, coaching coaching. First off, you know I've been out here. I've been lobbying for a job and I'm available.
Speaker 10: So like, listen, I'm in shape. If you need a set of extra legs, it needs you. We can get a workout on Tuesday. You're ready, Swear to God share it. Don't do me like that because I'm trying to get out of the house.
Speaker 2: And we got somebody. We got somebody that gets you the ball. There we go that you do, go ahead, I got a job, y'all. Coach, in your wildest imaginations, when you got drafted to this team at the first round draft pick and when rookie of the year you have a stellar career, did you ever imagine that you'd never come back and be the head coach?
Speaker 11: Never, Never, in my lifetime what I've imagined being the head coach of the Houston Texas, the team that drafted me.
Speaker 5: But it was that surreal moment, right it. I had other options, other teams that were vying.
Speaker 11: But it was like, man to go back to Houston where it all started, where it all started, like struggling a little bit, like it meant more to come back home to Houston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't coach, Obviously, you've been around the game of football for a very long time. For those that are on the outside looking in, I don't think they understand how special a season that was for you to have Obviously you understand the difficulty when you draft the rookie quarterback, standing you have a program that is trying to build itself back to winning consistently and to be able to have a successful season, obviously not winning a championship, but still having a successful season knowing that you can build off of that. Do you understand how great your season was last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I do understand it all, Like it all starts with the like you said, the rookie quarterback. Everybody now they expect rookies to come in and just ball out from the start. That doesn't happen, like especially at the quarterback position. You got to have a special, special person to do that. And you know, we were fortunate enough to get CJ at number two, and this kid is special, Yes.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely. You know, it's fun to work with. But and he didn't start off that way like we didn't.
Speaker 5: We started off with a rough season, like we had to go through.
Speaker 11: Some growing pains, and he learned a lot, Our team learned a lot of how we had to play to win games, and that growing, that growth process throughout the season. That made it even more special to know we didn't just come out just beating people.
Speaker 2: And I told our guys too.
Speaker 5: You know, we talked about how special of a season it was.
Speaker 2: You look up.
Speaker 11: We had I think it was ten games that we're in the last minute of the game. We were right in the game, and I think we won seven with those ten in the last minute of the game. So that just shows the margin for era in this league. It's still tight, even though people it's a great season. But man, I tell our guys, you got to you have.
Speaker 2: To work hard. You gotta grind those.
Speaker 11: Wins, and you gotta be smart in those situational moments to close games out.
Speaker 2: Coach, but you understand you were a rookie head coach. You had a rookie quarterback. The expectations this year, given what happened last year, are a lot different than they were last year going in. You mentioned CJ came in and played unbelievable. Tank Dale, Nico Collins. You signed us, I mean you traded for Stefan Diggs, your defense, Stingley Junior, Will Anderson junr. What are your expectations from this team? I hear you.
Speaker 11: No, we I still tell our guys our expectations is just to get better every day, Like I tell like, we can't get everybody know, when we suit up like you guys have like everybody.
Speaker 5: Wants to go win it, all right, that's always the goal.
Speaker 11: That's why we do what we do. Right, We're trying to go get that Lombardi, but we don't get there overnight. So enjoy the process of just getting better every day and when we look up in February and we're there playing for that Lombardy, that's.
Speaker 2: Special, you know.
Speaker 4: Being being a head coach as well, There's something I always wanted to ask you. There was an issue obviously with Brian Brian flore Is in tour and the way he he talked to him obviously rubb two.
Speaker 2: The wrong way.
Speaker 4: And I just want to know, how do you navigate being able to coach certain players certain ways? And how do you approach it? Because you can some coach some players you can coach hard. You know, you understand those of the Bill like that, you can coach them a little harder. Some of them you got to pat him on the back and guide them. How have you been able to do that with your with your players?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: With it man, That's a great question, right. I was just talking to one of my coaches about that earlier today. Now, you have to have a relationship with guys. Like, if you don't have a relationship with guys and you don't know how that guy's gonna respond. Right, some guys I could coach hard. Some guys I know, like man, I can get it out of him, but I don't need to go as hard with him. I just got to tell him, Hey, man, you're doing a great job. Hey, keep it going, young fella. We're gonna get there. But if you don't establish that relationship outside of football, like you just got to sit down, You gotta eat with guys, You gotta meet with guys, just talk to them one on one, like what's going on outside of football, so you can really get to know that young man, and what's going on in is life, Like that's how you are able to relate to guys. And like, now, once you get that relationship, I can coach them up hard, right, But everybody you can't coach hard.
Speaker 2: Everybody don't need hard coaching.
Speaker 11: But as a coach, it's our job, right, And that's one thing I learned about coaching. I thought, man, when I finished playing, I thought I was gonna hop in like Hey, Kyle, I cancome coaching linebackers right now. But that's what I learned when I was in San fran I truly learned, like man, you got every guy is different.
Speaker 2: How do you teach every guy? Right?
Speaker 11: Every guy learns different, every guy you got to explain things differently and they pick it up different. So for me, that's why I learned, like, man, you have to be adaptable as a coach, right, But you gotta know these guys outside of football, you know.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, give it up to a lot of times, sometimes coaches try to hide hard coaching behind disrespect. It's like, if I'm working for you, I want you to coach Mayhall and I want you to say what I'm doing wrong. But there's a very very fine line between hard coaching and disrespect. Now, you guys have to understand that's a grown man you're talking to this day in college. He's not trying to get to the NFL. He's already here. He's not in high school trying to get to college. So those guys you can, you can coach. I mean, when we grew up, coaches cust us out all kind of you do that. Now you're going to turn to get off of the guy might want to fight you. He might want to fight you, or he might just leave you. Guy.
Speaker 11: It's just it's a different, different erar and I never like try to cross the lines of cursing guys out. I feel like if I have to curse you out, like I got the wrong guy correct first off, right, I don't.
Speaker 2: We don't have time for that.
Speaker 11: Like, we're men, we're working together, and I tell our guys my first meeting is like, this is what you can expect from our coaches.
Speaker 2: Our coach is going to be respectful.
Speaker 11: They're going to tell you the truth, and they're going to coach everybody in this room right because they care your success is their success. So we have to find that common ground to work together for us all to be successful.
Speaker 2: You played for coach Saban, I don't know your high school coach, and you played for Cool. What are some of the things, What's what's the Miko Ryan's coaches? Now? Did you take a little bit from coach Saving Because as hard as he is, he does a great job of patting the players on the back even when they make mistakes.
Speaker 11: And with my coaching style, man, I took a lot from a lot of different coaches that I was I was around.
Speaker 5: I think you know it all starts from Uh.
Speaker 11: I spent the most time around Robert Solo, okay, right, and Uh in that coaching profession, Like I just learned from him, Like, man, you you got to bring great energy every day, right, and you got to be.
Speaker 5: Able to relate to all these guys in the same room. How can you relate to him?
Speaker 11: Like storytelling like whatever, keeping in light with with jokes like it's it's a fine line. Just coaching all the guy even Wave Wave Fields, Wave Felers, man, he was your head coach. He would come into the meeting room. Wade would just tell a joke everybody in the room, and he talked to you. He always told a story about you, like hey, man, Like we had a guy on scout team. I told him, don't worry.
Speaker 2: About covering him. He's better than the guys that are playing.
Speaker 11: Like so it was always Wave found the way in a playful way to get guys attention, draw guys in. So I think you draw men, you get their attend to you relate to the guys right. Also with Sabing, I know he's hard on guys, but the only way you can be hard on him is you gotta love.
Speaker 2: Them too, right.
Speaker 11: You gotta got man, you have to and guy's gotta know. For me, I had a strength and condition to coach. He called me as soon as I got into coaching. He was like, Dimiko, players do not care how much you know until you they know how much you care about them. Right, And so that was the one thing that's always stuck to me. Like I tell our guy, man, I care about you as a as a man first and foremost is football.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to the football.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna correct you, I'm gonna coach you up, But man, I care about you as a man being successful after football is over. Like I want you to be a great husband, great father, great leader in the community, because that's what's gonna last.
Speaker 2: Your approach to the game of football.
Speaker 4: Obviously, when you played, I'm not sure if you had any superstitions or not. As for myself, there was a certain routine that I stuck to, and to me, I felt this routine that I stuck to during my playing days would probably give me the success that I wanted to spite putting the work throughout the week.
Speaker 2: Now that you're a coach and you played.
Speaker 4: Obviously, do coaches have routines and superstitions once you get to that point as a leader of men, or you just allow the work that you put in during the week to take care of yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you.
Speaker 11: Fall into those kind of superstitions. You kind of fall into them because it's like, oh man, we smoked them this week, like we got whatever I did, whatever I ate last week, whatever whatever I listened to on the way till to stay.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, run it all back, right, But I don't believe in that.
Speaker 11: That's the reason why, Right, I think you just get into a habit. But I don't believe in the superstitions. And you know, but sometimes you get off this routine right as routine is a routine a lot of coaches fall into, whether it's working out before the game, running stadiums or rent hitting a treadmill, right, certain things. For me, my deal is I'm watching film up until the last minute before I have to go out, like I'm trying to find another advantage, Like I'm looking at third down again, I'm looking at two minutes for as long as I can.
Speaker 5: They come.
Speaker 2: Now, Hey, coach, we gotta go.
Speaker 5: It's like I'm trying to get that edge up until the last minute.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the Rooney rude. There's a lot about that and you had great success. Were you ever concerned because you see so many black coaches like Goal ten fifteen years before they even get an opportunity to go in a view for a head coach. You didn't have to wait that long. You had about a two year fifty two year once you became the DC at San Francisco. Your nighbor missed immediately went into that pool, so you didn't have to wait long. How do you tell your brother and for the black fellow black coaches like just to be patient when some of them have been patient for TI in fifteen years.
Speaker 11: Yeah, No, that's you know, I think for me being in the position I am, man, I'm standing on the shoulders.
Speaker 5: Of guys who paid the way before me.
Speaker 2: Right, A lot of.
Speaker 11: A lot of coaches who grinded and they didn't get that opportunity. I know one coach in particular, you know, Coach Bobby Turner.
Speaker 2: Yep, and Coach Turner that was my role model.
Speaker 5: I was there in sant France.
Speaker 11: That's the guy looked up to the og like he's been coaching for over thirty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he never got that opportunity.
Speaker 2: And more I know he deserved the opportunity.
Speaker 11: So I always tell Coach Turner, man, I love you, I thank you for you provided me this opportunity to become a head coach. And when I became a head coach, like man, I got to do this for you. Coach t I got to be successful for you. And it's the same thing I tell all other guys like Man, I'm representing a lot of a lot of guys right who are still trying to.
Speaker 5: Get that opportunity.
Speaker 11: A lot of guys who are coming have to me to get the opportunity, and I just I want to represent the right way.
Speaker 4: A good thing about it, the fact that we get so few opportunities to be a leader of black men, be in a position of power. Does it add any more pressure to you as a head coach or do you just don't even think about it and.
Speaker 2: Just do what you need to do.
Speaker 11: It doesn't add pressure to me because I know at the end of the day, it's about doing the job the right way, right. It's surrounding myself with the right people, right coaching staff, the right players. Like, it's not just about me, It's about my entire support staff, everybody in that building helping me to be successful.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: I can't do it by myself, so.
Speaker 2: It doesn't add any pressure to me.
Speaker 11: It's just I know the task at hand, and it's just about us going out dominating the process every day, being as as good as we can be every single day, getting a little bit better, and we're going to the wins.
Speaker 2: The results.
Speaker 5: All that stuff will show up when we work the right way.
Speaker 2: Niko, when you were here, you were active in the community. How important is it for you you to have your players be involved in the community in which they play in. Yeah, it's huge, man.
Speaker 11: I mean we're in a great city here in Houston, right, and it's a great city. It's for our guys. Always tell them, man for the NFL, Like, it's a blessing. It's a dream come true to play in the NFL, and it affords you a lot monetarily, but it also provides you a certain platform right where instantly you get respect as soon as you step into a room.
Speaker 2: Instantly when c J.
Speaker 11: Stril, Will Anderson stands in front of some kids like their eyes are wide open, like they got their attention, and now what's.
Speaker 5: Your message to those kids?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 11: And so our guys have a huge responsibility to the community to utilize the platform they given because I always feel like, man, you're you've blessed, We've all been blessed to reach back and bless other people, right, And that's what is That's what it's all about in its NFL.
Speaker 5: That's what's gonna last, that's what's going to sustain.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: And and I did a I used to do a football camp in Alabama, football and cheer camp, and you never know how things come back, Like and I'm in my office at sant Franz one day and his kid pop thing.
Speaker 5: He's like, coach you if Brian Robinson from University Alabama.
Speaker 2: Like coach man, I was.
Speaker 5: I was at your camps back. I was like what, like wow, now, little kid at the camp running around.
Speaker 2: You know, I never know. I never knew Brian never, you know, but to.
Speaker 11: See the effect that just the exposure it had to him, like hey man, you can make it to the NFL as well.
Speaker 5: And it's cool to see him doing this thing now in Washington.
Speaker 2: I'm good as everything ares ladies and gentlemen. Damika Ryan head coaches used to take some thank you, thank you though, I see I see you too, I see you Tuesday, y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all got a very special coach. That's a very you know obviously, I know, damn boy. I just want you to know. They didn't needed two ambulances, one for you because you was hurt, the other for me because I was gonna break my side laughing.
Speaker 13: So I'm glad you Okay, it's real low Yeah, I mean yeah, you've.
Speaker 4: Just been standing on there for an hour. Yeah, what you thought you were the hot hair? Nah, I'm just saying I judged it. Roman equilibrium was off.
Speaker 2: You ain't been drinking though, but hollypop, Oh no, I'm drunk. I'm drunk. Hey, you gotta be drunk. You up there beefing with real You better make it bad, right man, ship, I'm standing on business. Oh Joe Ooo, I got a couple of them samples. What kind of them? The red pill? Take the red woman? Oh sparks, hold on, hold on, hold on for one time out. See this is the problem women think. Oh if we beefing all that, I do is give them something she ain't getting none. Just got to do. That's all you gotta do for me. That's all you gotta do for me. But that's you over here. I mean what month? We in Augus?
Speaker 4: We August eight? I mean she's gonna have to wait till November. Oh no, I don't play that ship.
Speaker 2: You're better about what what? You know? What till you? If you don't stand for none of you'll fall for anything. Man. Well I failed for that several times. I ain't gonna lie. They got me with you, They got me and I ain't even I ain't mad, and I don't feel a shame. Well I'm staying on ben. More importantly, how about I got a tryal with the Texans on Tuesday? Yeah, say, you gotta try the Sparks tonight. The sparks. What's that? What's the spark? The red pill? You know? Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, I ain't bullshit, boy, She ain't touching it. She ain't getting none of this ship, boyd. The little three inches ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: No s no sw all right, guys, now it's time for o Jo's favorite segment, spell o sinko. I ain't got my hand. I ain't got my hat, got my hat. I need my hat. I need you ain't break a hat. I think because when we were beef and I left the house, so I left everything. See, and you're the tall rail rail could have vote it. Oh, she blocked on everything. She can't reach me. She blocked right. Because it's a special night. We can't do it the normal way. So we're gonna make it a competition. So I'm gonna call up someone from the crowd to compete against oo y'all to get y'all lad walk, hey, shake it up. Check this out. If you think you're a better spelling than not choke, no, step up to the mic. We're gonna ask you to spell three words. If you spell your three words, whoever get the most words right, get a sign, bottle of shade by Laportier, by me.
Speaker 4: So here it is all right, don't do it. Don't embarrass yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man, do it. Ibarrassed yourself. I went to Harvard. Don't do it. And you can see. We have a mic right down here at the bottom.
Speaker 14: And I think, all right, I gotta I gotta joe, let me go up here.
Speaker 2: I gotta stand up. It don't matter it don't matter if you stand up or siting down on Joe, I gotta say that. Come gonna be the slea helo. Hold on you finna go, I'm finna do it. Okay, Oh, he got a back camp handle. He got his hand on. He's about to tell you up. Ready, got a hand on. He got on your hand on? You don't I feel smart today? Boy? Okay, okay, cold off before you go. We went to college school of hard knocks. Damn, don't you got it? I'm ready for yo, Joe. I'm ready. Unfortunately you might have to get it now. He talking. I'm from to wash this nigga man. No, yeah, no, come on, yeah, yeah, yeah, I do it? You ready on Joe? Yeah? Come on? He first? Right you first? No? Wait, okay, no, no, no you first? Not let him go first? First, ladies first, ladies first, Let me first. Joe, you were lad to talk to me like that, but he talked to you like that.
Speaker 15: He was talking to me what I thought? He was a team I thought, boy, Well jump your head. Yes, you can't talk about you like that. Alright up, Joe.
Speaker 2: Your first words easy, yes, easy, superfluous, superfluous? Hold on you know what? Up? Joe, that's too hard of a word. Now, I only want to get you. I got a new word for you. I know, I got a new one easy word.
Speaker 16: Boy.
Speaker 2: Now, if you don't get this was right, I don't know what to tell it.
Speaker 16: Juxtaposition what kind of position jucks just jucks ju juckes jus.
Speaker 2: Oh that's easy, go ahead with it. In j u X yes a.
Speaker 7: Position You said jucks, yes, juckson j u x yes, And you said juxtaposition yes a position.
Speaker 2: P O S I T I O N position. You were so close? Oh joke, I was ju wrong T A position. That's what I said. That's not what I said. Guy. In two weeks we got a T shirt. That's what I said. Okay, but man, for you, your word is you know your shit gonna be wrong. Come on, let's do it. I'm ready. Your word is awesome? Can I can I get in the sentence? Please? Hell no? I expect the Houston Texans to have an awesome season. Okay, I thought you said possum at first you said awesome A W yes E s O M E? What on? Hold on? Time out? Time out? Time my time out? You got? My words are all mad? This nigga on rookie. Okay, Ohoe, this is the easy one now. If you don't get this without Joe, I got it.
Speaker 4: I got oh, I got it. Oh Jesus Simmons, I got these bids.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, come on, come on, here we go.
Speaker 17: Epito me lock in boy, lock in, lock in. What it is, oh Joe is the epitome of success. Hold on, epitome, epitome e p E P I yes t O n E.
Speaker 2: Show to talk about man? Yeah you thought you thought it was gonna be in Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah sure man. Nigga, yeah, nigga, what nigga? Let's talking about?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: Show what I do? Talk about it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, check us out. Next word.
Speaker 18: Liquid, I just drunk a liquid death too, Dan. I'm gonna go l I q U I D liquid.
Speaker 2: That is correct, Oh Joe, you need to spell this next word to stay alive or shot man.
Speaker 4: Gonna get it, And I'm looking right at you when I spell it to Yeah, I'm on that.
Speaker 2: Come on, get to me, kid to me.
Speaker 19: Twin essential. Let me say my glasses off for you. Quintessential. Wait, hold on, hold on, he ain't got it, use it, use it use it in a sentence. Uh, yes, rail is quintessential. The old chose life quin quint essential.
Speaker 2: Qu q u e.
Speaker 6: Oh no ay, oh quin, I'm wrong, quit quick quin quin quinn.
Speaker 4: Oh I got know how to do that one? Go ahead, hold on, I got this, I got this. I went to Harvard nigga q u I yes, tell y'all essential. I don't know how to spell that one, but that's hard. Q U I right right in n t uh huh e s s E n T I A l oh. So why y'all acting like y'all knew that ship.
Speaker 2: Y'all be killing me? Okay, okay, the last part. If you spelled this one correctly, give him, give me, give me, give me man, he got the damn catt Why you arguing with the guests? God, that's my dog. Okay, all right, last word, the very last word. Circle. I think I spelled the circles around ohoe. So let's see. Yes, yes, he talking ship. I've been waiting for this.
Speaker 12: Ship.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go see I R C L E circle. That is correct. That's it. The game over. Yeah, that man beat the brakes off you. He just told you spelled circles around you. Yeah, but that's nothing. Hey, I'm gonna see you at the show.
Speaker 18: I gotta, I gotta, I gotta shell you out because, for the first time in my life, I tried the ice cube method.
Speaker 2: Oh you did it. I tried to ice cube. I told you. I'm sorry. Brother. Hey, this kid here with me? Now where she at? I ain't gonna embarrassing, but we tried to Hey, hey, hey, hey, listen, hey, listen. I got an e book too, Okay, I got an e book. I'm a yeah, I got you. Ain't of a twenty dollars? Say no more? I got that? Yeah? All right? We got one more contested, one more upstop? Okay, here you go, Here you go. How you doing? How you doing, ma'am? Great? How are y'all? We're doing amazing. What's your name? John Tay? John Tay? Where are you from? John Tay? I am from the great city of Houston. Oh, Joe, you in trouble. You're finna lose? Okay, okay? And I'm warmed up. I'm warmed up. I'm warmed up. I'm warmed up. It's coldest hell in here, oh Joe. Your word. Bureaucracy. Bureaucracy bumr e A yes, R.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I ain't finished. B you r e A your rockets. Damn, I fucked it up on.
Speaker 12: Damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you were doing good.
Speaker 4: You want you know because I bureau because I used to bureau when.
Speaker 2: I Yeah you went the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Yeah you know, ah yeah I remember that. Damn. That's a damn. Okay, I don't I messed uping up b.
Speaker 5: U r e A c r A c y.
Speaker 2: How she gonna take your word and fail your word? I ain't even get her word yet. She got her phone googling that ship. Man, She cheating, she got a microphone. You know what on your open here. That's embarrassing guy. Damn. Okay, did they give a hard word here? It is right here? Journey journey. Can you use it in a sentence please? Yes, it was a journey for me to get here today. Okay, journey j O U r n e y. That is correct.
Speaker 4: See if you gave me that, I would have spelled. I guess where I get my shoes some journeys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, oh ya, I'm gonna give you an easy word. Yeah, thank you, man, oh Joe. If you don't get this one because she's already spelled your word, So you're gonna need to get this one to stay in the game. Symbol who symbol symbol like s y n b O L symbol No, the other one what that symbol right symbol though that's not your word. Your word is facilitate. Facilitate. I facilitated you and Rail was beefing, so I facilitated a meeting. Facilitate f A c I l I A t E. Even when they did the slumed on me that right when when mirror for you, I spelled it wrong? You did you know f A c I l I T A t T. That's what I said. You were close, okay, ma'am. If you spelled this word correctly, you too will win a battle sign shave by Laportia.
Speaker 13: Don't embarrass me the last the last word syrup. I love so on my pancakes, So do I.
Speaker 2: Sarah s y r up. That is correct, ma'am. Man Holt you. I really hope you do better than Dallas. You owe it to right now. I ain't gonna have no alcohol to sale.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you gave me words that were a little bit more reasonable to my grade level, i'd be all right.
Speaker 6: You went to Harvard. You went to Harvard for one semester. That means you advanced. No, no, no, no, mystery alied on the application? Oh mystery, mystery?
Speaker 2: Yes? And why s t E R Y Yeah? Why you don't lost the contest? Now, ma'am, we got a bad for you. So at the end you'll grab your get to la you already got. Okay, you're going to the Strip club, to night Hill. We're going. We're going to Onyx. I don't know what they got here. I'm going to I gotta walk tomorrow. Where you go work will first take. I'm gonna see you at nine exactly. All right? Oh yo, now it's time for your statement. Were you get to ask me questions? Dunk on U? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You finna get all this ship wrong. I gotta stand up because it's cold. You'll ready, yes, and don't be screaming our dances helping them out because.
Speaker 2: Y'all ain't help me ship. They asked me what they did? You just no, ain't nobody helped me because I'm black? All right, Here we go, Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 4: Question number one, Yes, what stadium did the Houston Oilers call home before they relocated to tennis See and became the Titans.
Speaker 2: What stadium did the Houston or Houston like the astronout all right, I love you Blue, love you Blue.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you only know that because you was playing back then. Actually I was, Oh, this is a good one. You ain't gonna get this one. Who was the first head coach of the Houston Texans? Oh, my goodness, yeah, don't tell him, don't tell him.
Speaker 2: God, dang, yeah, I know. It couldn't have been hold on no, no, no, I want to know, man, Oh Joe, I want to say, hold on you? Why, y'all? Chief for him? Man, I would say, bum phillips? Who bum Phillips? No? Don kapas for the Houston Texas, Yes, bron thinking the Oilers. Yep, too bad, that's all right. Yeah, plug that computer system, man, what's happening? Okay? Oh this is Oh you're not gonna get this one either.
Speaker 4: What was the What was the Houston Oilers original team name before they became the Oilers in.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty the Titans. I'm gonna give you one more shot. Listen to me, okay, y'all, listen to the question. What was it?
Speaker 4: What was the Houston Oilers' original team name before they became the Oilers in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: Give you one more chance they let's see the taxes? Mmmm, Dallas Texans. No, go ahead, I'm gonna say the texts. I don't know Texans.
Speaker 4: No, they were always the Houston Oilers, but they were gonna originally you got you?
Speaker 2: How you gonna say before they became the Oilers.
Speaker 4: Because they didn't have a name at all? So really is that truck question? I gave you the answer and you ain't even know it. Oh lord, how about you so smart?
Speaker 2: Nine? And you're gonna get this one wrong too.
Speaker 4: Who was the first overall pick in the two thousand and six NFL Draft selected by the Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: I got it from in C State. The Houston Texans select Mario Williams defensive end. That's wrong, No, it ain't. You're right, it's right, it's right, it's right. I got it one. I'm up to. Oh just just no, not that we keep a score? Yes, okay, Oh you ain't. Oh, you ain't gonna get this. Who is the Houston Texans first two bow two Pro Bowl? You got me nervous?
Speaker 4: Who are the Houston Texans first two Robs Pro Bowl selections in franchise history. Oh, my goodness, who are the first two Pro Bowl selections in franchise history? Oh this is a good one, Billy Cannon. Nope, I played against him, so you might well take that out of there. Hold on, I gave you here because I just said I played. I played against him.
Speaker 2: No, hold on, you said Houston Texans.
Speaker 4: Who was the Houston Texans first keep Pro Bowl selections ever in franchise history?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'll be cheating if I said Andre Johnson. You know, I mean you did? Oh? Dimiko Rans was one and Andre Johnson. That is absolutely wrong.
Speaker 4: The answer you were looking for was in two thousand and three, cornerback Aaron Glynn and defensive end Gary Walker were the first two. Never got that, so tonight, tonight you were just as bad as me at that day.
Speaker 2: Swell off, I got too right, So I win. Nah, y'all, y'all, good, y'all doing good up there, y'all? Good up, y'all? All? Right, y'all might buckle up now we got two hours ago. Uh, our next guest, you want to introduce it, Drake Hey, Our next guest.
Speaker 4: An iconic figure in the Houston area, a legendary player for the Houston Texans, A Hall of Famer who lives in Houston. Now, don't get confused by way of Miami. The goat Andre the better of the Johnson's on that said, I locked your ass up too right, Stop playing God damn dred ship changed.
Speaker 2: No, I ain't changed. I ain't changed. I ain't changed nothing. Drake. You spent I think, well, all about one year of your NFL career here in Houston. What does it mean to you to get drafted by this franchise and be considered when they think of the shortlist of the greatest players to ever play in the Houston Texans uniform? Your name is the first name to get brought up. Man.
Speaker 1: I always tell a story about when I went to my first pro bo the guy it was some guy he worked with the NFL, and he was like, who the hell is here from the Houston Texans. And that's something that always stuck with me. And I put that chip on my shoulder and I was like, shit, I'm making people respect us, you know. And that was the way I played. That was just the way I carried myself. And you know, to I have this Hall of Fame thing happened. It wasn't just for me, man, it was about this whole.
Speaker 2: So, the actual first player in the Houston Texans to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame? What did that? When you got the call and it says a knock on the door, Andre Johnson, WelCom the football heaven.
Speaker 1: You've been selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I mean, Shannon, you you've had that knock, you know. So, I don't think words can really describe it, if you like, I had to take a moment to literally go sit on my couch, you know, and I have my hands in my head and I just you know, to be it's been over thirty thousand guys to play this game. It's only three hundred and it's seventy eight people in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: That's one. That's not even one percent.
Speaker 1: That's correct to be mentioned with that, man, That's it's special.
Speaker 2: It's special.
Speaker 4: Obviously being for Miami growing up together. Did you ever think.
Speaker 2: That the story that we are control of being able to write would have gotten to where it's gotten now? Hell no, I'm not even gonna lie, Chad, like.
Speaker 1: You know, how we grew up, Like in the neighborhood, we just wanted to be able to provide a better life for our family. That was always our goal. Like we just want to make it out and to have to get to the level of being a Hall of Famer, Like I never would have imagine that in a million years, bro.
Speaker 2: You know. So I ain't gonna lie, man, just having you here and enjoy this with you, Man, appreciate, appreciate a lot of people. A lot of people really don't know, man, how far we go back.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the funny thing about it, for those of you that don't know, Drey and I used to train in off season. You know during our day when we were playing me tannem Man, uh Tonyo Brown, crazy ass.
Speaker 2: Else. We had that there, man, a lot of us, so you know we did. It was a certain connection that we all kept like we was family. You know.
Speaker 4: Obviously we all played on different teams, but everybody from that area, we.
Speaker 2: All we all got got back together and we always ship worked our ass off in all season, man, and it's awesome. You know.
Speaker 4: It's it's someone that has always looked up to you, even from Afar. During the times we're also close. Men, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm really proud of you, Drey. You had some unbelievable games. Uh in the Hall of Fame, the first Houston take some player ever selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But I'm pretty sure they showed on your highlight clip that fight that was coming. I had only met I had only met you once. I came here early in your career, and uh way, as a matter of fact, I think I think Cool Cool was the coach. He was the coach, and you were very quiet, and you're still quite quiet, and I remember that happening, and I'm like, what did this man say to getting him? He don't even talk let her one fight? What what did he say to get you sold? Like, you're like, effort. I'm in Liberty City right now, I'm swinging Rob. It had been going on for about three years. Damn you let it build up that. Yeah, yeah, it had been going on for about three years. Man.
Speaker 1: I never shared this story nobody, but because we all night app up, give it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm talking about let me Go.
Speaker 1: So Chad, you remember club play, yeah, old Chrystal. Yeah, So man, this is no lie, Like it's driving up to the club. It's my little brother and Rudy. My brother's sitting in there passing passenger seat, Rudy's in the back seat, and Brom pulling up in valet and they jump out the car while the cars moving, and I'm like, what the hell y'all doing?
Speaker 2: They was like, there you go.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, what are y'all talking about? Is Courtland? He's standing at the front door of the club. I didn't even see him. They wanted to get on him right then, and I'm like, nah, like, we're not doing that, you know what I'm saying. So that happened like a year prior, so.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man Like, we was up twenty to nothing, and uh, I told cool. I was like, hey, man, I'm finna beat his ass.
Speaker 2: Normally called plays for the player, the player called the play coach. I'm gonna beat his ass on one ready to break. So that was just that was just it, man Like, I just had enough of, you know, the stuff he was doing. So so it was mainly chief shots, not so much talking. It was the cheap thing talking.
Speaker 1: You could talk all day. I don't give a damn by talking. But it was the cheap things he would do after plays. Okay, yeah, y'all cool. Now, y'all cool. Now, y'all say, I don't know. I ain't never seen I seen him one time since that whole situation, so I don't.
Speaker 2: But after that, he ain't chief shot you no more harm. No, I ain't gonna do that whatever that ain't nobody cheap shouted you probably nah, I ain't never been a cheap shot. But now I don't you know.
Speaker 1: I always told people, like playing a game of football, like I was never afraid to be knocked out like that never scared me. So as long as you did it in between the whistle, I didn't care anything that came afterwards.
Speaker 2: That's when I had the problem.
Speaker 4: You very business savvy, very been as savvy. So we got all our people here in Houston. I just want you to talk about some of the things that you're doing here that they can continue to support while they hear that if they don't know about what you got going on now.
Speaker 5: I'm.
Speaker 1: I actually there was a business I had here. It's not longer here anymore. I'm actually in the process of remodeling a place on Washington in the Avenue. I have a few piece of places that are own in Jacksonville and two in Atlanta. So h we call a place with piza, yeah, Pieza Pieza, wings Burgers and all that stuff called good fellas, Pia good fellas. Okay, yeah, so uh we have two in Atlanta and one in Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what I want to know, and I'm sure there are a lot of fellows out there want to know. How the hell you forty years old and that hairline is that far forward? Bro? How do this man hairlines just like you was when he was four years old? No? Man, my h if I was going to show you a picture of my dad, you'll get it like his head out that man. Yeah, he gotta be older than me.
Speaker 1: No, he's passed away, yeah he I'm gonna show you a picture before we leave.
Speaker 4: You know, you ain't came back home. You ain't came back home to Miami. And now I went out with you last night, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sharil wanted to kill me.
Speaker 20: But hey, but I see why you ain't came back home. Why Hey, hey, no abody to run on stage.
Speaker 2: Guys. Hey, but he ate it. I mean, I'm just being respectful. You give me yeah. She told me backstage, She told me, don't have you out the four in the morning, no more. Yeah, Ship man out here, brother Ship, move out here. I was telling her. I was talking to him in the back. I said, Man, I almost moved to you. Hey, this decision I didn't make is No, he should have moved here, you know I shouldn't. No, come on, man, man about you last night. I was looking for you last night. Every man got to know his limitations. But nah, Houston's Uh, man, this is a hell of a city.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: I never thought, you know, being from Miami, growing up in Miami, Man, I never thought I would leave and to be here. My mom's moved here, my brother's moved here. Man, Like, Houston's home for me now. So I ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: Oh but Ship, I'm coming to real state. She like, Miami, you had real Hello, you just had rail moved to Miami. She uprooted her roots up in Tampa. Well, I'm finna move to Houston. Ship. Well, you were real movie in Houston. When you look at today's Cropper wide receivers, obviously it's you know, you got Tyreek and you got CD and you got Jefferson and you got Chase, you got Digs, you got Mike Evans. Does anybody currently play in the y retiver position remind you of Drake? I would say A J. Brown? Yeah, uh, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, big guys, tremendous right now, they catch you catch the ball in the crowd.
Speaker 1: Big guys that can really run. I'm a big Jamar Chase fan. Also, Yeah, So I would say those two guys in particular, of the current crop of quarterbacks, who would you like? You get my home You could take any quarterback that's currently playing. Yeah, And I'm gonna say, Drake, you get to have this guy for a decade.
Speaker 2: I can answer that question right now. There's only two c J. Strode and Patrick home Boy. You pick. You picked two good ones. Are you surprised at how knowing this game? This is not an easy game to play, especially for that position. Are you even surprised that how will he played in his rookie season? Not at all. So whenever they.
Speaker 1: Always meet the guys the day after the draft, when they come in before they do their press conference. So I don't know, man Like, something about CJ. Was just different than any other guy met He was super mature. The guy Belie even goes out, you know, tremendous and his faith, great leader. He's always gained a team respect. You know how hard it is as a rookie the game. Yeah, absolutely, team respect. We played this game. So man, what he has done has been truly amazing. So I'm looking forward to this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: I done ran out of questions. Hold on, I got one good Where are you going tonight?
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that later because real want to kill man. We were at that, man, these streets. Did these streets? You were an outstanding sprinter sixty meters, big East chail finish, run up in the one hundred meters. You hear Tyreek talk about I won't know a lot.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, I've had a chance to run against some guys that have ran in the Olympics, and uh, but that's a different level of sprint, that's a that's a different type of fast. So I don't know if Tyreek really want that problem.
Speaker 2: I think you know what.
Speaker 4: That's why I say when I would think about it, right, Tyreek, get out right away. I think that's why you said I want to if I'm a racing I don't want to do it in a hundred. Let me do it in the fifty or sixty, because I think if you get out fast enough and hold it and maintain it, because it didn't have to durance to go past that, I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: It'd be close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they do forty to fifty yards, that's different. See, that's that's yes, that's different. I was trying to explain you that, like, once you hit that, because I ran one hundred, once you hit that fifty, like that forty to fifty metermorrow, man, they open up, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you gotta yeah, you got you gotta come over with it. But what I was explaining tool is that you can't challenge a man in this stance. No, but this is what I want Wills to do. You're like, Okay, I'm gonna challenge you to an arm wrestling competition, but we're gonna do backflips. No, you challenge me to an arm wrestling competition. That man runs the hundred, he don't run the fifty.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta think about the Remember the Donovan Bailey and Michael Johnson. Yeah, you had the one fifties, so they ran the one fifty because Mike was a two hundred runner.
Speaker 2: It was a hundred runner. I don't know, man, I love to see it. I ain't gonna were trying to get it. We try to make it work. Yeah, you know that happened. I love to see that. Though. What do we do? Okay, what do we split the difference? Seventy five? It's not seventy five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for Tyreek and North, that's not fair. Tyreek ain't got a chance.
Speaker 4: That's why it's fifty once once listen once, no allows open up at that fifty to fifty five yard mark.
Speaker 2: It's around. But you you do realize low Tyreek does get out fast, but most printers get out fast, most prinds.
Speaker 1: With Tyreek, seventy five is too much. You got to do that in like sixty fifty five meters.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. He can't beat him in sixty meters? Who beat him in the sixty meters? No, because he's gonna close. He coming maybe a forty yard dash. I don't think people really realize how fast you gotta be out there, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: I go to the meets, now, I go to the I've experienced it, so I friendom dude moved fast.
Speaker 2: Because they this big, they'd be weighing one hundred and sixty pounds. Dude. People don't realize how small no allows is. I mean a tobogo who won the two hundred meters he won fifty five. Yeah yeah, I mean think about it a grown man. It's one hundred and fifty five pounds. That's how small these guys are. No burning nor burning. Norm With told you he's six foot dog. He's one hundred and sixty five. Yeah, that's heaven for him. That's it.
Speaker 1: That's I read too. Muscle bout got a thing. When I was running, I was two thirty running.
Speaker 2: Trucks for two thirty. I played, I played it, but by two thirty two he was about wearing eighty. No thank you about you might have been seventy five when I was playing. Yeah, brother two twenty. It was too fast. You I know, you know, I know you now. I know.
Speaker 4: You gotta understand. You gotta understand what I was taking before the games.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to talk dress. Yeah, dre ain't no herd. You know before the games, I used to take half of magro. We don't take that feet just magic if you took that spark. No, no, this is for football though, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: You know, the blend, increasing blood flow, make your feet go fast.
Speaker 2: It got double the door. See, nah, I ain't gonna work on the field. Who do you believe is the best receiver to come out of the state of Florida. You got You, you got Old Joe, you got Peter Ward, you got Cold, you got Santana Moss. What are you basing it on? You've got a school. Maybe we're gonna do You're talking about all the way through, all the way through. I like that. I like that. I agree, I agree, I agree. I got me a jacket too. When you go back and look at your team that two thousand and that that you impoored us and Shocky and all the Mcgahey, when you go back and look at that team and you and you like, man, we had fifteen seventeen first round picks. We had another eight twelve second round picks. Did you realize, like when y'all went to the season, did you realize just how good you work? Yeah? You ain't had no choice, man. I always tell people.
Speaker 1: That was the best football team I've ever played on in my life life. Like you gotta think Sean Taylor sitting on the bench. Intrail Rod sitting on the bench, Roscoe Parish sitting on the bench, Frank Gore sitting.
Speaker 2: On the bench.
Speaker 1: Shit, Vince Wilfork wasn't even starting, Like I could go on and on like I was, And it's crazy you bring this up. I just was having a conversation about this because somebody asked me about that team.
Speaker 2: And Sean Taylor.
Speaker 1: I tell people all the time, he's the best football player I've ever played with. Wow, Like it's not even close. Like this dude came in. This dude came in. He was six three and we put him on the scale after the workout. He was two hundred and twenty pounds after the workout.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you can line them up anywhere. A lot of people don't even realize he was a running back in high school. What, Yes, John Taylor was a running back in high school. He wasn't a safety running back. They would throw him in on defense, but he was a running back in high school.
Speaker 2: Could you make a case that this is the greatest college football team ever put together? There's no question.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you, if you, y'all gotta talk about all that LSU stuff, y'all want to talk about. If you look at just our backfield, you got poorous Willisam mcgaye, Frank Gore. I ain't even mentioned Naje Davenport, and people don't even really know what right I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: This is a.
Speaker 1: Six ' two guy, two hundred and forty, two hundred and thirty pounds running.
Speaker 2: Four three four fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Naje was like he was one hundred meters sprinter in the high school.
Speaker 2: Wow, So who are you wide out me?
Speaker 1: Darryl Jones, Kevin Beard, Jason Gavis, tight end with Shocky Jeremy Shockey. I ain't even mentioned this person. Kellen Winslow junior sitting. Yeah, didn't even play right. You had the backup tight end of him. He went to end up win the Buffalo, had a neck injury. Yeah, he's actually from here. Oh my god, I can't think of his name right now. Kevin Evertt, Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's actually from here in Houston. And then your d line was loaded Jerome McDougal, Andrew Williams, William Joseph Like I said, Vincent Woodford wasn't even starting.
Speaker 2: He was Both of your linebackers go in the first round.
Speaker 1: D J Williams Younder veil Chris Campbell would have been the second round pick passed the win.
Speaker 2: The car crash d read. Yeah, Mike Bront, Philip Buchannon, I go old and old they were loaded. Go ahead. You gotna think that I ran out of question. You made headlines for some of the donation. You're very charitable, You've been in the community, you give back to your community. Why was that so important to you? You started this when you played, you continued it. Now that you're that, you're here full time. Why was that so important? You dre because I was. I was always a person like I never wanted to forget where I come from, right, Uh. I remember being a kid and I was we was we were standing on the corner. I was playing Little League.
Speaker 1: We're standing on the corner and you know, asks for money donations because we were trying to go to Orlando to play in what you would call it the Turkey Bowl or something back then. Yeah, so I'll never forget. I woke up to this car and a guy he sees me coming. He's digging in his bag and he turns around giving me five dollars. It was damn Marino, what yes, so you don't realize like the impact that have on you as a little kid. I'm nine or ten years old. So I just always said, like, man, if I was to ever make it, I wanted to give back, you know, to people who was more or less fortunate than me.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's an unbelievable story. You're getting coaches. You see your former teammate, the Miko head coach of the Texans. It's coaching and Dre's future. Man, I've been getting this question. I get this question almost every day right now. I would say no, but you can't hang out with Ojo if you start coaching. Yeah, I ain't trying to hang out. I don't go nowhere. I don't go nowhere. Cigar ball, that's it. Nah, but Noah.
Speaker 1: I would say no right now, but I think eventually in the future it could possibly happen. Right, all right, ladies and gentlemen, Andre Johnson, the first man by the pro putball, all the.
Speaker 12: Fame from the Texas, we'll be going tonight. He ain't going nowhere, really, just he just tall me crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, we in these streets, black riding on slash, riding on slavs, Ojo.
Speaker 2: I feel good y'all good, all right, all right, all right, I need some of that drink.