Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We looked to voices of Washington who could provide not only a perspective of a Battle of the Pentagon, but of the politics of the moment. Patrick McHenry is steeped in this of the tenth Congressional district in North Carolina. He is absolutely typical of starting your political career young. I think he was ten years old when he won his first effort in the tenth Congressional district. He's gone on to substantial Republican acclaim, including chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. He is a Bloomberg committer, a contributor, i should say, is a former chair of the House Financial Finance Committee. Patrick McHenry, thank you so much for joining us this morning. How divided is the Republican Party?
Speaker 1: Not very The truth is the the President has executed a limited, targeted effort here that is fifteen years in the making, when the Obama administration entered into nuclear negotiations with Iran in twenty twelve. The culmination of that of those talks led to today, and in fact, the precipitating matter here is a reigning proxies that have taken serious action against American troops in Iraq and in the Gulf. They were the funders and in many ways the designers of the Hamas attack on our ally Israel, and the President was patient and saw it a negotiated outcome in a quite measured way, and without the reigning regime coming to the table with a serious, serious counter So I think the politics of this, you're going to have a few very ideologically viewed, very ideologically opposed to any foreign intervention, being overwhelmed by most Republicans who want a strong America. And the way to ensure strong America is when it's necessary, we will punch back with overwhelming force. And I think that's what we just saw.
Speaker 2: Patrick McHenry and returning to the folks in our four hours of coverage this morning with the former Congressman Patrick McHenry, I find what's absolutely fascinating here and benumbing is Russia has lost a harbor essentially on the eastern Mediterranean. They've lost Syria, maybe they're in the process of losing around the Foreign Minister of Iran will travel to Moscow. I guess explain where you said our relationships now after this attack with Russia and with China.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think they're the ones that are taking the greatest note of what happened here, which is not that this president is against all foreign action, but that he will be measured, will use force when necessary when when negotiations end. I think the person that should be most taking note here, as Vladimir Putin. This administration has wanted and campaigned on a peaceful, negotiated a quote unquote peaceful negotiated settlement in Ukraine if there is one, and it is evident through open source that Russia has gotten its drone technology that has been effective in the Ukrainian battlefield from Iran. And that linkage here is quite evident from that news you just you shared, which is the Iran foreign minister is going directly to meet with Putin the day after the United States strikes. There is a concerted effort among our enemies here, and there's a lot of connectivity between the president's action in the Middle East and it's you know, it's the Sinews to the Ukrainian battlefield.
Speaker 3: Patrick, what do you expect to see from a response from the Democrats in Congress. There's concerned that a they weren't consulted. Maybe maybe this was an action the President exceeded as his authorizations. But it's tough to argue all that stuff when it appears to be so successful. What do you expect from the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Well, look, both parties are divided on the authorization of force in Congress. Both parties are have have divisions here for the effort to review authorizations that date back to the Gulf War, to nine to eleven, to our engagement in Afghanistan. They've been utilized by both to take action in very broad ways. There's been efforts in Congress to have revisions to those authorizations of force, but have not been successful in total. And so I think you'll see that divide in both parties on this. But by and large, stopping the Ukrainian i'm sorry, the Iranian nuclear program or slowing it down is a global good. This is why you see your Cure Stormer in the UK, a left of center Prime Minister of the United Kingdom being supportive. I think this is an action that the world is relieved that we have taken. And I think you'll see that similarly play out with a by and large the supermajority of the United States House and Senate, but divisions within both parties for sure.
Speaker 3: Patrick. Do you see the US military doing follow up actions here absent any retaliation or are they kind of in a waiting do you think at this.
Speaker 1: Point, I think there was a waiting CIMO. We see Israel taking action right after our strikes. There's further work to be done, obviously to restrain the ringing capabilities for retaliation against American troops and American assets in the Middle East and our allies, and so I think I think the coordination will continue, and there's evidence that there's coordination between US and Israel that there is real and more effective for both of us.
Speaker 2: Frankly, with this event, Congressman Henry, and this goes back to House Financial Services Committee and frankly Appropriations Committee as well. What's your experience of funding to the Pentagon after an event like this? Is this acutely aware need to budget the Navy with their reach in the Orens in the Gulf of Aman, or how does the budgeting work after an event like this?
Speaker 1: Weld Look, I mean the Pentagon budget is massive. It is a massive budget, so they have broad authorities with ordinance, with munitions, and the President does have broad say here we heard the Secretary of Defense say that they did comply with the War Powers Act on informing Congress of this action. I think we'll hear that from Congressional leaders. They'll be pressed on whether or not they were given the heads up on this in conformance with the law, and if they were, I don't think you'll see congressional action to limit the presence further ability to take action. So it's an important balance between the between the branches. Yes, but the presidential authorities that they're using here are not new, not novel, and do have some level of controversy, yes, but have been utilized by both parties of the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: Patrick mccenry, one final question, if we could in your Washington and you're a student there, I made a joke about it earlier, folks, of his tour of duty. This is public service, truly across the span of his adult life. Patrick mhag henry in the Washington here, I believe in wars, Democrats and Republicans come together. Can I wish that at this moment?
Speaker 1: No, because where we are in this process, you have a partisan reconciliation bill moving through the Senate this week. You've had mainly partisan fights outside of one piece of legislation on digital asseids cryptocurrency. But this week is going to be a rather partisan week in Washington based off of what is on the Senate floor and what is on that House floor. And so I don't think there'll be a Kumba moment. I don't think that's where the Democratic base is. But I think what you'll see is the MAGA based rally to President Trump's cause here almost totality. And so in one respect, the antagonism from the left towards a MAGA right on their statements in the election that President Trump would bring this great veil of peace to the world just by his election was grandiose, outsized, and in fact a fiction. But also you're going to see the left make those MAGA loyalists eat their words in the election, and that is so typical of Washington, so typical of our politics right now, and that won't stop just because of the international action here, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Patrick McK henry, thank you so much. Bloomberg contribute to the former chair of the House Finance Services Committee for the Republican Party