Speaker 1: Welcome to Ruthie's Table four, a production of iHeartRadio and Adami's Studios.
Speaker 2: Often when a friend prepares you to meet their friend, it feels anxious. Will he like me? Will I like him? Do I need to pretend I do if I don't. When Johnny I've told me his closest friend, Brian Chesky was joining us in southern Italy, I felt anxious about all of the above, and then he arrived. We sat together at lunch, started talking and didn't stop really for the next five days. Now. I've never stayed in an Airbnb, but then again, Brian has never been to the River Cafe. But I've experienced the impact Airbnb has had on so many lives. My children have explored the world knowing they need never stay in a hotel, and my friends in New Mexico are able to rent a house in Paris only because they host airbn beers in theirs. Brian lives in San Francisco, I live in London. The next time he visits London, he's promised to deviate, not stay in an Airbnb and stay with us instead. I'll cook for him, walk in Hyde Park and if they're lucky, we'll introduce him to my friends, no anxiety. They will love him as much as I do.
Speaker 3: My God, thank you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Okay, will you read a recipe.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Ruthie. This recipe is whole roasted sea bass with potatoes. So it starts with one sea bass weighing two kilograms. Take half a bottle of white wine. Eight large waxy potatoes, peeled and quartered. By the way, what's a waxy potato?
Speaker 2: A waxy potatoes? Waxy? You know how fat the potatoes are? A flowery oh yeah, that you might have for baked potatoes.
Speaker 3: Makes a potato waxy? Though?
Speaker 2: Is it like a certain a certain type of potatoes?
Speaker 3: Okay, so waxy potatoes everyone. Two garlic clothes peeled. Two lemons pieces with skin. Now, these are not waxy lemons.
Speaker 2: These are not waxy because you know, lemon lemons. I could have even said a malfy lemons, which particularly good.
Speaker 3: And are those different types of lemons that they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maffy lemons have a very much thicker skin, and so they're really they're really protects the juice. There's less juice, but it's better because it's got the.
Speaker 3: Amazing A handful of fresh oregano. So once you have this, preheat the oven at two hundred and fifty degrees celsius and then you boil the potatoes until cooked. Then drain them, add your lemon and herbs, pour over all of oil and mix well. And once you do this, you put it in a roasting tray. You stuff the fish with the lemons, and then you season. You season it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, salt and pepper. Salt and pepper everywhere, inside, outside.
Speaker 3: You just just the more salt and pepper the better. No, No, that's probably not true, but kind of everywhere. Don't be shy. Pepper in the inside, the outside, all the nooks and crannies. And you place the fish on top of your potatoes, your waxy potatoes, right, and then then you drizzle some allive oil and you roast in the oven for twenty minutes. Yeah, twenty, not eighteen twenty. Now you take your half a bottle of wine, you add it, you save the other half to drink. Then you roast for another fifteen minutes. So I'm cooking for twenty then I put a bunch of wine on on it, and then I do another fifteen minutes. Why do I do that?
Speaker 2: Because when you first do it. If you put it in the very beginning, the wine will kind of disappear. So if you put it in for the last ten minutes, you'll still get the juice.
Speaker 3: What is the wine? The alcohol burns, right, but it gives it a flavor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't. It just gives it another fruity, interesting, dryer flavor that flavors and we do.
Speaker 3: Have to be some people wine it.
Speaker 2: It has to be nice wine. The idea that you can use cheap wine for cooking is really not the right thing to do. It's better to use a little bit less wine. It doesn't have to be expensive expensive wine. But you want to be able to, you know, drink the wine that you would put in cooking. You don't like cooking wines.
Speaker 3: So I think really important everyone to use nice wine. Unless you're drinking by yourself and you're saturd on a Friday. You stick to nice wine. And then when it's ready, filay the fish and you serve with the potatoes and the juices from the pan.
Speaker 2: It's a very Italian way of cooking.
Speaker 3: Yalient an Italian way. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that you go for the ingredient. If you have a great sea bess, you don't have to do much to it. If you have a mediocre fish or a mediocre piece of meat or mediocre vegetable, then you have to think of adding more things to it and cooking it longer, of doing this and doing that. But if you have a fantastic sea bess, then really what you want is a sea bass with lemon, with some herbs and a bit of wine and you're done, you know, So it's very simple. Everybody thinks, you know, Americans myself included, growing up here, thought Italian food was spaghetti and meatballs and very heavy food. And in fact, what we know is that as you and I spent some time together in a Malfi and that's why we thought this would be a good recipe for you to read, because it does bring back memories and food is about memory, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think it's really great. You're right. I mean, I think you're right. Food is like I mean, when I think of food, I think of a couple things. It's one of the only things in life that we consume that we need to survive. Number one. Number two, I think food is rooted in culture, and I also think you're right. Food is something you share. Maybe it's a primorial thing from fifty thousand years ago and people were around a campfire eating and talking, and there's something about food connection, family conversation that all go together.
Speaker 2: So just tell me your early days of growing up in your home. Who cooked? What did you remember about being in the cheske household and food.
Speaker 3: I think for me, I kind of had a foot in two different worlds of food growing up. On the one hand, you know, my parents are social workers. We were on the go. We were middle class, and we had a lot of like just quick to go things that probably in hindsight, weren't that healthy, you know, going to like fast food and like kind of packaged foods. And then my mom would cook my Mom's Italian and she would make very simple things, you know, pastas and you know, really basic meats with like mashed potatoes and vegetables. You know, we try to make sure we have dinner every night together as a family. And then I have a lot of memories of like kind of holiday gatherings. It was really interesting, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter. The centerpiece of every one of those memories that I had was food. There's something premortal in us. That makes sense that you know, there's we want. I think we want to have a connection to things. I think one of the challenges of modern life is that we get abstracted from the things, and one of the things we get abstracted from is our food. I mean, fast food was like an amazing innovation at the time, but I think that, like a lot of innovations, many years later, you look back and say, well, there's probably a price that we paid. But yeah, those were those your grandmother.
Speaker 2: You say you had an Italian grandmother and a Polish grandmother.
Speaker 3: I had Italian grandmother and a Polish grandmother and grandfather.
Speaker 2: Did they cook and did they cook the food at their homes?
Speaker 3: My grandmother on my mom's side cooked and I think she was pretty good. My grandmother was Polish, my dad's mother, and she actually lived with us and she would help cooking, Like I remember peeling the potatoes with her and stuff like that. But I'm still trying to understand. I think they were waxy. They didn't crumple right, like you know those flaky baked potatoes. Yeah, yeah, they were kind of flower They were kind of wet. Yeah, wet is waxy.
Speaker 2: What well, what is more? What be more towards the WAXI because of the very dry.
Speaker 3: But if you're going to oil potato, waxy potato sound better than wet potatoes. I want to open a restaurant. I want to call it Wet Potato. Ladies, gem welcome to Wet Potato. We're just down the street from River Cafe. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the stage. Wet Potato. I love wet potato. I've been following him on tour all week. So yeah, So I had my waxy wet potato. My grandmother made it. And here's the story. When I was a kid, I was very small physically growing up. I'm like average person sized person. Now I'm like one hundred and eighty something pounds. But my parents are worried, like there's maybe something developed me wrong, and we want to enter Cachnology said, no, he's just like his growth is development is behind about two years. But I was really skinny growing up. I was probably when I entered high school, maybe one hundred pounds, right, yeah, fourteen maybe. And I went to a school like I basically a sports academy to play ice hockey. And then I ended up breaking my leg. I had a spiral fraction on my leg, and I ended up going to like physical therapy, and I decide at that moment, and by the way, you'll learn as we go that I'm a bit of an extreme personality. Any entrepreneur is extreme, especially people like us that run these big companies. I'm forty one, so it's extreme. And so at this point, I'm going through physical therapy, and you know, you have to do like kind of weight training, and I really start picking up weight training. And at this point the context in you to understand is my body had controlled my life because I was small, I was skinny. I was kind of like felt like my body was limiting my options in life. And I kind of knew at this point I'm sixteen, that I'm not giving a professional athlete. But I just I had this thought. It was really interesting. I said, if I can control my body, I can control my life. I'm sure I didn't say it so eloquently or simply. That was a thought. So I decided when I was sixteen, I said, I'm going to become one of the most muscular teenagers in the country by the time I'm nineteen, and I picked up bodybuilding, and that began a unique relationship for food, a relationship that was about health but certainly more utilitarian than enjoyment. And in two and a half years I went from one hundred and probably twenty five pounds to maybe one hundred and ninety five pounds. I ended up competing in what we would now call.
Speaker 2: Just pure muscle.
Speaker 3: That is, yeah, well one nive was like probably decent muscle, and then I cut back down and I competed in what you know, it was basically the the teenage mister America. It was called NPC Teenage Nationals and Collegiate Nationals and bodybuilding. And so I had this very weird duality where I went to like a private school a junior year, kind of a military bend school. So it was a private school where I had to like dressing cadet gear and do drill with rifles and all weight training. Then I go to public school the next year. It was all clicks public typical public school. And then the following year go to Risdy Art School. And by the time, because at Art school, I am now competing at a national level in bodybuilding, and I would walk around campus with half a dozen hard boiled eggs, and I would open the plastic and the eggs would stink up the entire room. And I would eat these hard boiled eggs one at a time. Everyone in the class was like staring at me. I would probably there were I would have as many as like eighteen egg whites a day. I would even drink the egg whites.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about eating egg whites, because.
Speaker 3: Challenge egg whites, and I would just drink them. It sounds kind of gross, unappetizing, but it really had profound effect to me because I started to realize what I ate affected how I felt. And that's when I really started appreciating food in a very deconstructed way. Of these building blocks deliciousness, no, no, I mean, there was a saying growing up, if it tastes good, it's bad for you. If it tastes bad, it's good for you. And that was the motto I had growing up. Okay, probably again this is like super countercultural to your drinking podcast, because I don't believe that anymore, but that was certainly how I grow.
Speaker 2: Up, leaving home and leaving family. There you were in Rhode Island at the Road Island School, Design, which is a great school. And do you remember cooking and eating with your friends.
Speaker 3: I had a meal Planet's risty, but I consume so many calories that the way the school worked is your parents had to prepay, Like I don't make a number of like five thousand hours a year for food, right, And every kid had a pre filled card like a meal card, but it was use it or lose it pre meal card, right, So you like, you'd have to put twenty one hundred dollars on your card each semester, and if you ate only two thousand hours of food, you wouldn't get the money back. You would just you'd use it or lose it. And if you ate more than that, you'd have to call up your parents to put more money in the card, which is something I didn't want to do. So I would find other students whose meal plans they weren't going to eat, and I would basically bump food off them because I would basically tap out my meal plan because I would get like three four chicken breasts at a time, and you know, when you get a dozen eggs and three four chicken breast at a time, you're going to your meal plan. So I would basically kind of loiter around the cash register befriending people. Yeah, smelling of hard boiled eggs. Dound Risdy at our school. So I'm at art school, carrying containers of hard boiled eggs, loitering around cash registers, trying to get people. Mostly like, I had a whole bunch of friends, these girls that were Korean. Risdy was very popular in Korea, and so a lot of kids came from Korea, and they were very thin, and none of them maxed out their meal plan. And so I kind of realized this and I became friends of them. I'm not saying I used the relationship for hard boiled eggs. I'm not saying I didn't either, So we'll let the audience understand. And so I would basically loiter around and at one point I ended up offering to train the kids for free if they would give me their card to get hard boiled eggs. And I thought everyone won. I got muscles, they lost weight, and we everyone was really happy. But this is not like a typical food thing, right, I had.
Speaker 2: No But food is different than food is that's.
Speaker 3: What food was. So for me at that time, food was a utilitarian building block for me to create the body I wanted in the life I wanted to have, and I thought about it as a fuel, as a utility. And I think, by the way, here's another theory I have because it's like, why what did I do this weird stuff? Growing up, I was a bit of a rebel and I kind of did not want to fit in. So when I was in high school, I wanted to be the artist, and when I got to art school, I wanted to be the bodybuilder. And then I got out into the real world. I wanted to be like an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Because you once told me that many of our conversations over food, that you saw Airbnb as an industrial designer rather as an entrepreneur, as a business person, that you saw the kind of canvas. You saw AIRBNBA as a canvas rather than a business plan.
Speaker 3: I never thought I was a business person. I remember. I remember the first week and I started Airbnb, somebody reminding me. I said, I'm not a business person. I'm a designer. Business People make money, Designers solve problems. I'm a designer. My problem isn't to make money. My problem is to solve a problem for somebody, and that's what designers do. The funny thing is that an artists are mostly entrepreneurs without realizing it, right, because most artists are sold proprietors, right and Europe and artists you have to sell your art and you don't work for somebody because most people don't employ artists. So there's something about art school which is pretty entrepreneurial. And the risky education is an invert in entrepreneurship education. And oddly enough, like most entrepreneurship programs are anti entrepreneurship. The structure is unrealistic. Entrepreneurship has no structure. Entrepreneurship requires resiliency, Entrepreneurship requires self motivation, and like, there are best practices I've done, Like I went to White Dominator, but like Rizdy, like one of our assignments was you get a piece of cardboard and you say, you have to build a bridge, like a three foot bridge with this piece of cardboard. And whose ever's bridge can hold up the most amount of bricks across two tables when or here's a piece of cardboard. You have to make a violin with no glue out of cardboard, and you're like, and you have three hours. I think that's kind of like entrepreneurship, like you have these challenges to solve.
Speaker 2: Can I just say that you also in your entrepreneurship and design because going you know, into airbnb and the culture of airbnb in terms of not just being a place where you sleep, but what you've done, and as I said in my introduction, is you've taken the world of being an entrepreneur, of being a place to stay, into culture. Because people stay in a neighborhood, they shop for food. I always say that when you you know, when you visit a city, the first thing you should do is go to the market, because you know that because the market tells you about the people who live there, the food that's in season, the ingredients they have. And you know, a market in London will be different from a market in Venice, which will be different from one in Singapore and one in Tokyo, and that tells you about the culture. And I think what you've been talking about, you know that you are combining entrepreneurship with culture, aren't you? Is that what you do? So I mean Ivy was saying, go on, ive you tell them that staying in an airbnb and you go to the kitchen, don't you go and see what the kitchen's going to be like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were talking about. The thing that I like with AIRB and B is that you can use the locals guides, the host guides, and so I think it's like it was reinventing how you're a tourist, right because rather than going to the tourist spots, you can be like, Okay, where are people actually eating? And how can I imagine myself living here and what would my life be like? And that's why I think young people like IBNB especially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's exactly right. And I also say that just to bring to bring a little bit of story to kind of more present day. Until I started and in travel very much, and I did not have a passion for traveling when I started BINGB. And actually, here's the other thing I did not. I did not start arbing me as a traveler. I started as a host. So Airbnb has guests and hosts travelers and people hosting those travelers, and I wasn't a traveler. I was a host. AIRBINGB started because my room and I couldn't afford to pay rent. We turned our house into a bed and breakfast. Wouldn't have any beds. We waited through your beds. We called the airbedan breakfast dot com. So I started as a host. And I didn't really have a big desire for traveling growing up, but I will because I didn't wasn't exposed to a lot of it. Now I love traveling by the time. I remember once a year we would travel. My mom was a star shirker and there was an annual conference that she had to go do, and so should get a flight in a hotel room. And my family realized, this is a really good racket weekend. Basically freeload off her and get a free vacation every year.
Speaker 2: And would that be in the United States.
Speaker 3: I've brought always in the United States. So my first time I was at airplane was seven. We went to Saint because she had a conference there.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the food when you traveled?
Speaker 3: I have more memories of eating while traveling than not traveling. Funny enough, I have more memories just traveling in general. I remember somebody once a few years ago came up to me said, Brian, I use because I wanted my life to seem longer. And I said, what does that mean? He said, the thing I noticed about my life, and I realized about myself is we generally don't remember our routines. To give you example, I probably rode the school bus. I don't know twelve years from five to seventeen, and I can't remember two thousand times the memory of me being on a school bus. I'd maybe six, seven, eight faint memories. But I remember every trip I took. I remember the trip to Saint Louis, the trip to Dallas, the trip to Seattle, the trip to Chicago. And so what I learned when he told me is that when you travel, you have distinct memories. And when people say time go by quickly, I think one of the reasons they're saying that is because they're falling into routine. Some routines really good, but you got to be careful about your routine being so much that your memories collapse. And then one day you wake up and your life has kind of passed you by. And there's so much of the world, And so I think a great way to remember the world is through travel. I hope to live in a world where the idea, the word travel and the idea traveled almost dissolves into our idea and it blurs with living. We talked about like you know, going to a supermarket and living like a local. There was a guy in Paris. He's no longer alive. His name is I think his name was Jim Hymen. Have you heard of this person? Jim Hyman said, I believe the Guinness Book of World record for hosting more people at dinner parties than anyone ever. He hosted one hundred thousand people in his house in Paris for dinner parties. And you could ask how to maybe challenge that? Yeah, yeah, maybe you challenge that. But he apparently was up there and he had a secret for traveling. He said, the secret to good traveling is to participate in the daily life of locals. And I thought that was profound because what happens is most a lot of travel. Like Conrad, like modern travel. Probably one of the major pioneers of modern travel or twenty century travels, Conrad Hilton. Conrad Hilton started Hilton Hotels in nineteen nineteen in Texas, and he was very Christian and made it a point I think maybe some of Hilton will be listening correct me to have a Bible next to the bed. It doesn't matter what you were in I believe so, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think I think that's and I think he was famously one to export an American travel experience anywhere. There was a famous episode of mad Men that I think is representatively correct, like how do you say blah blah blah and Tokyo Hilton? How do you say hello in Germany? Hilton? So it was really about an American travel experience. It's about mass tourism, it's about bringing your culture with you to this environment.
Speaker 2: We lived in Paris for years and I used to see a tour bus that went around the plastic version where we lived, and people never got off the bus. And I thought, you know, there is a sense that people really hate traveling because it takes effort, It takes you know, fear, it's fearful, you have to understand a language, all the reasons we want to travel. There's a group of people that would rather stay in Hilton and neat American food and be in a bus, because he explained to because they can say they've been to Paris or Rome or Florence or Venice and yet never have to experience any discomfort or.
Speaker 3: I think that's a very typical way to be introduced to travel that you want to go to a farm environment, but you want to be comfortable, so you're more like a stane hotel, go on a dicer bus, get a selfie in front of them.
Speaker 2: Change that with Airbnb. You're saying to be uncomfortable. I think cook for yourself, be in a neighborhood. I'm packing your.
Speaker 3: Bank in the daily life of locals. You know. Joseph Campbell, the late mythologists. He wrote a book, I think in like the nineteen forties called Hero of a Thousand Faces, and his book based sickly surmised that every character of every movie, whether it's Star Wars or Wizard of Oz or Grapes of Wrath or whomever, they're really the same character. A hero is in an ordinary world and there's something like dissatisfied about their life incomplete, and they get this called adventure to cross this threshold, to go this new magical world where they're at their comfort zone. They have the slay dragons, they have this ultimate challenge, and the person they are dies, maybe metaphorically or in some movies actually physically, like snow white, and then they're born. They're reborn a better version themselves, and they have atonement where they go back to the world they came from. And I always thought that travel great travels like the hero's journey. You just want to be a little out of your comfort zone to learn something. And I think that's what we try to do, to get people a little out of their cultural comfort zone, to go to the market, to participate daily life of locals, to understand people. Travel can bring the world together, but you're not going to understand another culture in a double decker bus, staying in a hotel with other tourists. You know. I'll TV a funny story. People sometimes come to San Francisco and describe what San Franciscans are like, and I'll ask them, what are San Francisco's like, And the first thing they say is, well, they dress like this, and they're this, and they're that, and they all like bread bowl soup. And what I'm realizing is they're not describing San Franciscans. They think they're describing San Franciscans. But they went to Fisherm's a wharf, which is like going to Times Square. It's like going to Times Score in New York and describing New Yorkers, except that no one in Times Squares in New York except for those working in Times Square, because regular New Yorkers don't go to Times Square. And so I think, if you want to understand travel, look at how people travel then in your own city and ask would you do that? And most people in New York don't go to Times Square. But Time Square was until the pandemic, the most instagrammed landmark in the world, clearly very popular. But most of us who spent a lot of time in New York don't want to go to Times Square. When I was eight years old, I did want to go to Times Square. I thought it was cool. And so I think there's landmark travel, and then there's people driven travel, and people driven travel is culture. But how do you meet other people if you're in a hotel on your double ducker bus. That's the premise of Airbnb.
Speaker 2: We have a lot more to talk about. One of the things I would like to talk about is Obama, President Obama and Michelle first Lady Obama, who really brought. She particularly brought a sense of food and the importance of feeding our children and the investment that society makes, you know, in children and so your engagement with the Obamas has been massive, and at a very very basic level, I would like to ask you what food was like in the White House. Did you eat in the White House? Because I've eaten the White House once at a state dinner, and I had a meal with President Obama the residents of the American Ambassador in London, and he seemed to be someone who did like his food and was interested in food.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I met President Obama late in his presidency, and so the reason I met at him was because there was a thing called Global Entrepreneurship Summit where they had this like honorary ambassador program where your own ambassador for entrepreneurship. But the reason I really got to know him was because he worked with a Treasury department to lift embargo with Cuba. And then Airbnb opened in Cuba, and President Obama went to Cuba with a bunch of business leaders, myself and other people. We were actually the only company had any business in Cuba. So I got to know Obama a little bit. And before he left office, probably July of twenty and sixteen, I get a thirty minute lunch at the White House in the Presidential Dining Room, and I ate basically, I think the same thing he did. So I think it would have been fish. I think I had like a white fish a I think I had a old roasted sea bass with probably a waxy potato ji garlic closes and a Malthia lemons. I feel like, maybe that's what I would have had. And no, it was. It was probably like a fish like this, but it was like steam vegetables or a salad. I recall that, and I remember I'm leaving the White House. So here's a cool funny story because this is the other time I ate at the White House. And okay, so we're in the Oval Office now, because you have to walk through the O office when you leave the President of the dining room, which is kind of just like nondescript room. So when you get your photo and Pete the Suez that's a photographer, he takes his photo of me and before I leave, goes Brian. I go yeah, He goes, do you like dancing? And it's my bad impression and I go, I'm like, what do you say to a president Nited States in an Oval office? And they say do you like dancing? So I said, uh yeah, He goes well, I have a birthday party at the White House. It was fiftieth birthday party. It was like in a month, right, so this is like July or something in his birthdays in like August, and so he invites me like to his birthday party at the White House, which is crazy, and I'm like, and i'd been the West Wing, but I hadn't been the main residence, which is what most people think of the White House as the residence. It was kind of like a very fancy buffet, you know, but not really a buffet, but like I help yourself family style, but you would win to like these kind of lines where you'd get food. Was very like nice, fancy. I don't remember what I ate then, And those were my two experienced the White House. But there was oh I danced. Yeah. So it was good and I got to know him, and obviously we've built a relationship ever since. He became a bit of a mentor to me once he left office. We kind of had a standing phone call for a while, you know, where he mentor me, and then you know, I think the story kind of turned into him going from him mentoring me to also me wanted to help him with his efforts in particular philanthrop by and so I created with him one hundred million dollars scholarship for rising juniors in college to help them pay for their college education for those who wanted to go to public service. So the basic idea is like Obama said that when he was going into publics, he graduated Harvard Law and he had a lot of offers to become like a corporate attorney, which is totally cool. We have a lot of corporate traiers the ever NB, but we also need people to go in to public service. The problem is college is getting so expensive that some people feel like they can't afford to go in commote service because if all is college debt. And he said like it was a hard decision for him to be a community organizer, and it took him a long time to pay off his bills. He didn't actually fully pay off his bills to I think the book o'dacy hope came out, so he was like, maybe my age before he was able to pay off his college loans. And I thought we should be able to pay off people's college debts so they can afford to go into public service. But I had one other thought with him, I thought I would shamelessly want my public service leaders, whatever the fields are, to have travel the world and taken all the best ideas from every country and bring him back to the United States. And we bring food from all the other countries. Don't we like to shamelessly appropriate food from other cultures bring it here? Shouldn't we appropriate the best ideas of governing and connection and other things. And so we had a travel component where it would be a ten year travel scholarship. So we'll pay off your college loans and we'll pay for ten years of travel, including between your junior and senior year of travel two thousand dollars a year for ten years, twenty thousand dollars, and then I think ten thousand dollars for one summer, like a little like summer voyage between junior and senior year where you do kind of like a work trip. And that was what we did. So we still work together, and I'm sure food is going to be a big part of it for a lot of these students, because I think food is a way to understand culture, and culture is a way to understand our shared history and our shared connection.
Speaker 2: You said about food is you know, political it's cultural, it's love, and it's comfort. So for my last question, what if food is all that? What would be your comfort food?
Speaker 3: With my comfort food? Not her boiled eggs anymore?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think it was.
Speaker 3: Then, was No, The whole point back then was never be comfortable. Probably chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, chocolate. How do you like them? Do you like them thick and dowe or do you like them thin and crispy?
Speaker 3: Can I tell you my recipe before we go? Because the only there's flotad recipe, there's only one.
Speaker 2: Does it have a waxy lemon in it?
Speaker 3: It does not have a waxy lemon? Is the only recipe I know? Or I think I could tell you at the top of my head. And I know that's how little I know about cooking. I can you put a gun in my head. I can tell you one recipe and one yeah, and it's a proprietary recipe that I got off of Google. Google, So not that proprietary. I like to say. It's been the family for a long time, since three months.
Speaker 2: Not the one on the backs of the chocolate chip. You know, the chips?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't like those are wrong because they don't use enough brown sugar, and they don't use enough in all extract. So what I would do is one step one, okay, step one flour. I would do two and three quarters or two and two thirds cups flour, So a little two thirds and quarters. Let's do two and three quarters cups flour. Then I think it's eight.
Speaker 2: Cups of flour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go on.
Speaker 2: These are the dry ingredients.
Speaker 3: Dry ingredients would be one teaspoon baking soda in a teaspoon of salt. Okay. Then you got your sugar, which you mix your wet. So here's the key. This is where it gets interesting. So one and a quarter cup of light brown sugar.
Speaker 2: What about the dark brown?
Speaker 3: No dark brown, just light brown? And then white sugar. I use three quarters of a cup.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, okay.
Speaker 3: Then two large eggs, and then you take a stick of butter, two sticks.
Speaker 2: Blend the butter and the sugar.
Speaker 3: Blend the butter and sugar. You what's it called when you cream? You cream the Then you add two eggs, two eggs, and then finally the single most important I guess vanilla. Yes, but what's the secret?
Speaker 2: More vanilla?
Speaker 3: Yes? So most people, yes, very good. So most people would say one teaspoon. I say, too teaspoons to teaspoons. Okay, so here are the core innovations, the core innovations you like? How like I'm a tech found and I use innovation by googling it.
Speaker 2: In what there's a difference between innovation and innovation.
Speaker 3: That's that called blaxea lemons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the difference between a Blaxi potato out.
Speaker 3: Of leod if you if we have thirty minutes forty five million minutes, because it's that's how about a lot the difference core innovation guess part one? And then I use not many chips, so you know, the whole bag, the whole bag.
Speaker 2: Wet about the chips.
Speaker 3: I only use one third of a bag of chips.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting?
Speaker 3: And then I heat the ove into three seventy five fahrenheit for about twenty minutes, and then I go to what's golden brown? Core innovations more vanilla, extract more brown sugar, slightly more flour. That means that everything else it's like fewer chips. Okay, Vanilla's gentle. It's a very gentle idea. You take anything vanilla, you add a flavor, and the flavor search a power that vanilla. So people are overpowering Vanilla across this country, and I have a mission to create.
Speaker 2: Is that why the Democrats did so well?
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yes, people take advantage of it. Oil more vanilla. If you elect me, I will give you more vanilla.
Speaker 2: Got my vote? Yes, Okay, Well let's do it. I'll be your host and we'll make chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, Brian, Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 3: Ah nice, I've never heard. I've done a lot of interviews in my life and never won on food. Yeah, well there, I never talked about hard boiled eggs and an interview like almost everything we talked about Ted never said before because no one ever asked me. Everyone asked me all the same questions.
Speaker 1: The River Cafe Look Book is now available in bookshops and online. It has over one hundred recipes, beautifully illustrated with photographs from the renowned photographer Matthew Donaldson. The book has fifty delicious and easy to prepare recipes ding a host of River Cafe classics that have been specially adapted for new cooks. The River Cafe Lookbook recipes for cooks of all ages, Ruthie's Table four is a production of iHeartRadio and Adami Studios. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.